Speaker 1: Poddave of America's brought you by Simply Safe. Summer It's here, which means cookouts, pool parties, and wondering if your packages will still be there when you get home from vacation. Or you could skip the worry altogether with simply Safe because their outdoor protection can actually.
Speaker 2: Help stop porch pirates before they strike. I set up a.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe, credibly easy to do customize. It comes to your house, you get installed in a matter of minutes, and then it works. Great apps, great customer support, really reliable. Gives you peace of mind. With simply Safe. There are no long term contracts or hidden cancelation fees. They earn your business by keeping you safe, not by trapping you in a contract. You simply say you can customize your system to fit your needs. Then it ships fast directly to your door. Their app guide. It's set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour, then get back to the drilling. I'm all right, Tommy, Simply Save is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive. That same exact joke I thought it was with John, I like, no, it was with Tommy. It is a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras. In twenty four to seven professional monitoring, over five million people value and trust Simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for a professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. There is no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Plot Save America.
Speaker 2: I'm John favor, I'm John Love It Tommy de Tour.
Speaker 3: On today's show, we'll talk about the biggest outbreak of violence in the Middle East since the so called ceasefire went into effect, the growing split between Trump and net and Yahoo, why Trump ripped off his mic and stormed out of a Meet the Press interview, his new conspiracy about voter fraud here in California, and what that could mean for November, Scott Pelly going public with his allegations against Barry Weiss, and Trump's decision to attend Game three of the NBA Finals at Madison Square Garden. Then Tommy talks to Roger Bennett, Men and Blazers about the World Cup kicking off on Thursday and the implications for global politics before we start. If you don't like listening to podcast ads, subscribe to Crooked Media and become a friend of the pod because you get ad free episodes of all your favorite Crooked pods. Plus you get to support pro democracy independent media. Scott Pelley hasn't accused us of injecting any any bias yet yet into any of his reporting, but once once he starts, yeah, we hearic crooked, Hopefully we'll keep the bias out of his reporters.
Speaker 1: We don't time to inject bias in the Scott Pelley reporting. We're too busy injecting and bias into everything we do. There you go, That's what I was trying to get at.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's perfect. Let's put that right in. Yeah, and you also get access to all of our great substacks. You get our subscriber only shows like Pullar Coaster with Dan Pfeiffer and lots of other fun perks. So consider subscribing. All right, Happy one hundred day anniversary to the war that was supposed to be over in just a few weeks. Here's where things stand with Iran in the Middle East as of this recording. Over the weekend, the US and Iran were shooting drones and missiles at each other after oil tankers tried to pass through the Strait of Hor Moves without the IRGC's permission. Then, the newly negotiated ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon fell apart when Israel bombed Beirut after claiming that has Bela targeted them first. Iran responded by launching missiles at Israel for the first time since the April ceasefire. Trump then told Axios that he would warn Netan Yahoo quote not to retaliate, and told The Financial Times that he quote calls the shots. Netan Yahoo doesn't call the shots. Then net Yahoo essentially said yes, I do call the shots and struck Iran. So for now, both sides seem to have de escalated, and on Monday morning, Trump hosted that final peace negotiations or quote subject to ignorance or stupidity getting in its way. The President was asked about the war in a pre recorded Meet the Press interview that ran on Sunday. Here's some of what he said as it rained heavily in the background.
Speaker 4: Is the United States it war with Iran?
Speaker 5: Well, they've been largely decapitated.
Speaker 6: And I call it a military exercise because people would rather have it called that.
Speaker 5: It's not a big.
Speaker 7: War for us.
Speaker 4: How long are you willing to give Iran to make a deal? How much longer you've been talking for light and time?
Speaker 6: Well, and you really haven't you again, you were in Vietnam for nineteen years, you were.
Speaker 5: In Iraq for many years.
Speaker 4: Gas is up, diesel is up.
Speaker 5: It's all coming down as soon as the war's up.
Speaker 4: Seventy percent of farmers say they can't afford fertilizers.
Speaker 6: You're doing very well.
Speaker 4: I mean, one of your consistent campaign promises was no new wars going all the way back to twenty fifteen. Did you break that promise to the American people?
Speaker 5: What changed because you interisted? No?
Speaker 2: So because I didn't guarantee.
Speaker 3: Any war, didn't guarantee no war.
Speaker 1: The rain on this interview or it's boring rain and they have to stop for periods of time. I can't imagine anything more unpleasant than sitting in front of a tractor for five minutes while you wait for the rain to quiet down. In between questions about fertilizers.
Speaker 2: Probably hammering on a tin roof. And I know they had the John Deere tractors like strategically placed. But those are the haspul of flag colors. By the way, feel free to google it. That's those yellow and green just like that. So you and Hassan are big fans of that play. Here's so Trump said, Uh, of course, I what promise. I didn't make any promise about no new wars. And here's a here's a not so fast montage put together by decoding Fox News. Oh, we can't vote for him.
Speaker 5: He's going to start to with no. I used my personality that we didn't have to have wars.
Speaker 6: I was the first president in decades who started.
Speaker 5: No new wars, who started no new wars. Wait, don't need the wars.
Speaker 6: Foreign lands, countries you've never heard of, countries.
Speaker 2: That don't even want us there.
Speaker 5: We will expel the war mongers from our government.
Speaker 2: Look at me.
Speaker 7: I'm the one that kept us.
Speaker 2: Out of war.
Speaker 5: I'm going to keep you out of wars. I kept you out of wars.
Speaker 2: We had no wars with Donald Trump.
Speaker 7: You're not gonna have a war with me.
Speaker 5: And you're not going to have a Third World war with me.
Speaker 8: That I can tell you.
Speaker 3: The warmongers is a third World war, I think.
Speaker 1: I think a third World war a war, oh like yeah, yeah, I mean you're like, excuse me, mister president, developing nation war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very dated Cold War terminologies.
Speaker 3: It's a global South war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not aligned with the Soviets anymore.
Speaker 3: To go on that tangent. Do you think he's just convinced himself that Iran doesn't count as a real war.
Speaker 2: What's the alternative he's not telling the truth? Yeah, Like, I do think he's trying to make us believe this, Like, no, the real wars are the ones where you send troops overseas and they're deployed on the ground and they occupy country. And by the way, Vietnam was nineteen years Has it been nineteen years, folks? No, this is a little excursion as he calls it, when we all think he means incursion. Still right, Yeah, So that I do think that's like their attempt at selling this. It's pretty tough though, given the outside's economic costs, given the closure, the straight hor moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's just you know, there's a big space between no War and Vietnam. Right, it's like, wow, we're so grateful you didn't launch another Vietnam h Well, that's not the standard.
Speaker 2: It'd be worse if this war had been.
Speaker 1: Going on as long as the Vietnam War. There's also something he's done it before. But he is so clib when he talks about people who died. He's like, oh, there's not a big war. It's not a big conflict. He lost thousands in these other other conflicts. We've only lost thirteen. And he adds a perfunctory and any death is unacceptable. But you're like an American president refer to the deaths as being minimal in this way, as if like that is acceptable or that makes it okay. It's like, it's just it's it's it's still drawing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's not just the fuel prices either. It's like fertilizer prices. It's actually hitting farmers pretty hard. His only, his only real message for farmers is like, just wait till it's over, right, it'll get better. It'll get so much better it's over.
Speaker 2: But by the way, that that's.
Speaker 1: Also of course not true, right, Like prices aren't going to suddenly drop it there's an agreement, and maybe there's some like immediate effect, but like the ramifications of the of the closure of the straight up, our mooves are gonna last for a very long time.
Speaker 3: So, Tommy, what did you make of the Wall Street Journal report on how Trump failed to reign in net Yahoo over these latest strikes? The New York Times had kind of the opposite take, which is that the eventual halts of the fighting on Monday left nt Nyah, who appearing is beholden to Trump.
Speaker 2: As ever, So I think the context people you understand is that the Israelis also have an election coming up. It will probably be sometime between now and October twenty seventh is when it will get schedule. And so for Trump, we know he has a midterm. A bad result will make his life complicated because of investigations and Democrats being in power. But for net Yaho's staying in power is existential because that could be the only way stays out of jail because there's all these corruption allegations and investigations and so. But politically, Americans and Israelis feel very differently about the war. Americans are like, this is dumb, why are we doing this? We heard that super cut of him saying there would be no wars. They're like, end it. Gas prices are high, end it. Israelis feel like this is not going well. We have not won. Net Yeah, who looks weak, and men Yea was actually getting attacked from the left and from the right for not finishing the war. And so he's in a tough place politically, and so Iran firing ballistic missiles directly at Israel because of something Israel did Lebanon exacerbates that problem for dan Yao further. So now n Yah is in a very tough political situation. He wants the Trump peace talks to fail, but he can't be completely overt in his meddling with those peace talks because he doesn't want to piss Trump off and then lose his political support and the military support. And so he also can't look like he's being fully controlled by Trump, like when Trump calls the FTE and is like I own this bitch, you know, Like that's a tough place for him to be politically. And he also doesn't want to look like he's gonna let Iran fire missiles and me mister security bet Nen Yahoo without responding. So it was just he's in a very tough place. It sounds like they navigated it better on Sunday than they did in the last call, where I guess Trump was like, hey, man, you're a fucking asshole. You'd be in jail if not for me. But you know this, the diversion interests are making this more and more complicated every day.
Speaker 3: Did you see it? One one US official told Axios. They describe the call between Trump and Netanyahu as quote polite, while a second US official noted that nobody shouted.
Speaker 2: So that's one. There we go.
Speaker 3: That is the standard. Yeah, it is. It is difficult for uh, it makes diplomacy a little bit harder when Trump makes all of the subtext text all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, as a rule, when someone says I call the shots around here, that's rarely said from a position of strength. You don't usually have to say if people know people, if you're calling the shots, you don't have to say it.
Speaker 2: You're just in the midst of calling the shots.
Speaker 3: Like he's like, as he's been saying, he holds all the cards. I hold all the cards in this war, and I call all the shots.
Speaker 2: Well, also he's saying he calls all the shots and a call to the reporter before he calls the other guy who's stop shooting.
Speaker 1: Get the sequencing wrong, Sir he Be said, I thought this was captured the situation. Israel has a full right to self defense and we are exercising it. I say this with appreciation and respect for my good conversations with President Trump. And so he just does the praise piece, but then he does whatever he wants. And maybe he's being limited in some ways and not in others.
Speaker 2: But if the.
Speaker 1: US cannot constrain Israel from escalating in Lebanon, how can there be a deal between Iran and the US in which Israel at any moment can break the seasefire? And so like any ways in which the US cannot constrain Israel is proof that a deal will not be upheld by our side. And so we're just in this place where everyone's testing each other. And like, if the idea of success is getting Bejamin net Yahou to only bomb outside of Beirut and not Beirut proper, and that's Donald Trump exerting his power, Like, I don't know how that ends with Iran having confidence that we can maintain a seas fire.
Speaker 2: This is the rub Iran Is, I think very successfully made a peace deal, continue on the war, ending on all the front so in around itself, but also in Lebanon and so other Lebanon, where as the Israelis are like, Nah, these are different conflicts with different timelines, and we want to keep prosecuting this fight against Tesbula because people in northern Israel are still under threat from drone attacks and I think that's going to again come to conflict here.
Speaker 1: And from the other side, right, Auran has an interest in making this a larger conflict in which they can use the Hesbela Israel conflict as as like a part of their negotiation, and so they can prolong it there and then walk away from the table saying they're blaming Israel, right like everybody is using the.
Speaker 2: Leverage that they have.
Speaker 3: Reportedly, the argument that Trump made to net Yahoo too was don't retaliate because I think I'm a few days away from a deal, and then if we don't get the deal, then maybe maybe I'll lead the strikes next time with you. So he really does. That's another on where like I think he genuinely believes or at least his team keeps leading him on, like we're so close, We're so we're on the one yard line, We're so close to a deal, and it just never actually happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I just I'll believe it when I see and I think, yeah, I was going to hate the deal that's on the table. Reportedly, we don't go through all the details, but it's a lot of sanctions relief and unfrozen assets and so yeah, again, it just seems like they're in very different pages here Bb and Trump.
Speaker 3: Well, even if it's this like mini deal where it's just reopening the Strait and you don't even get into a ton of sanctions relief somehow, that doesn't really do anything about Israel and Lebanon.
Speaker 2: No or saw the nuclear shape. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: So meanwhile, as the ceasefire was teetering, Pete Hegseth was in Europe to mark the eighty second anniversary of D Day, where he insulted our European allies with a speech that included lines like this.
Speaker 9: Sadly, today, different European beaches are stormed by different dangerous ideologies. Beaches in Spain, in Italy and Greece and Bulgaria, boats and men arrive. When will European capitals do something about that invasion?
Speaker 1: This is one of my favorite analogies I've ever seen in the history of speech rating, because in that analogy he is he is putting current European leaders they are the Nazis, right, and the migrant caravans or boats. That's d Day And so what why is your in your analogy you're making You're making the Germans the Nazis.
Speaker 3: Again, well, he definitely wanted to twist it so that it's like different dangerous ideologies around the continent, but then also wanted to compare the boat's landing with the boats landing.
Speaker 2: It didn't It.
Speaker 3: Didn't work on a number of levels. Yeah, no, need to pick just one, but yeah, yeah, the good guys.
Speaker 2: Were in the boats storming the beaches, and now the dangerous ideologies are storming the beaches. So it's like, sir, did the dangerous ideologies raise the flagg ofy Regima? Because I feel like you've got this whole thing backwards.
Speaker 1: Well, I listened to the whole speech and it's so bad. It's obviously we can get into the actual substance of going going to going to Normandy on D Day to pick a fight for some reason.
Speaker 2: But he also makes this point.
Speaker 1: It's always in this sort of like the kind of like whatever Christian nationalism Western ideology thing that he's always doing. But he's like, you know, we defended Western values that here at D Day or some something to that effect. Guys, do you remember who the sides were in Europe? It was West on West violence. You know, it's like, you know what I mean, it's it's just stupid. It's just stupid.
Speaker 3: It's also just like when you get underneath the bad analogies and pdxth not being the best speaker, like the fact that you know, replacement, the great replacement theory, which once used to be like this far right extremist thing that we talk about once a while. Now it's like the US Secretary of Defense goes to Europe and it's like the official position of the US government that the problem with mass migration. We're not even going to pretend it's border security or its job competition or it's like, you know, government's having to spend too much money to house migrants or anything like that. No, it's just it's dangerous ideologies. It is people who come ashore most of them women and children, some of them dead because there's men, yes, passment, because they're so desperate in the countries. And this is this represents a dangerous evil ideology in the eyes of the US government and what you said, Christian nationalism. The Pope, the first American Pope, is going to spend July fourth on one of those islands, Lampadusa where migrants come ashore, which he's doing because the last pope also would do that all the time, and so he's doing it in honor of Pope Francis. And this is like you know, Pete Hegseth is talking about, this is.
Speaker 1: Like evil migrants are as dangerous to Europe today as Americans were to the nothings. That's that's the analogy. He says in the speech that that what was being defended on D Day was the Western tradition of freedom.
Speaker 2: As if like.
Speaker 1: Again, it's just sort of going back to Christian nationalism and a sort of whole like Western ideology. But like, what are you talking about, Like we weren't there was a Western it was Western West.
Speaker 2: Violence doesn't make any sense. Yeah, they're also like there seem to be two criticisms in the speech. Part of it is a criticism of like defense spending or lack of defense spending in Europe and kind the typical free you've been free riding on the US and NATO argument that we hear it. And then there was this criticism of European immigration policy and European countries letting in migrants, many of whom were escaping wars, by the way, in some cases were started by the United States. Either way, it's just a wildly inappropriate place to be such a dickhead, Like usually cemetery. Usually these are just celebrations of the few remaining veterans and the people we've lost in the war. It's also like an example of how the free world came together to defeat fascism. Meanwhile, like Pete Hegseth and Trump and the Pentagon are allowing the Ukrainians to just kind of dangle in the wind in their effort to fight back against Vladimir Putin. So it's like, I don't know, just the whole thing felt so inappropriate, And how many times have Republicans told us like, that's not the forum to have a policy dispute, right, Like the memorials not where you talk about gun control or like actual efforts to stop gun violence. And he's just going there and yelling at people for thirteen minutes and this weird.
Speaker 3: Speech about the long Way from a long Way from Reagan's Ponda Hawk spyn Okay.
Speaker 1: Well you know I was thinking about that. That's he was thinking about that speech when he was trying to do this. Yeah, it's also like you know, you have vance weighing in on uh, like a horrible death in the UK.
Speaker 2: It's there.
Speaker 1: He's just traveling all the way to Normandy to weigh and like immigration is a domestic issue, like you're talking about domestic policy issue. He also at the in the Tommy's points, I was like, no, you know, in World War two like there was we really put ourselves on the line for each other. It wasn't just slogans, summits and communicates like yeah, man, it was World War two like there, It wasn't up. We were at war, you do you know you had to actually fight everybody like in peace right and you would work with your ally, presumably having some kind of conversations via whatever means you'd want.
Speaker 2: It's this very like stupid, like stupid.
Speaker 1: Guy, h but it is just it's just just stupid guy. Uh no, slow There wasn't just slow bag day speech, right, yeah, it's like, yeah, I got to go there and tell you know, I don't for me.
Speaker 2: World War two. It wasn't just slogans. Yeah, man, did you catch how it started? The most offensive line maybe was the very first line was thank you, Ambassador Kushner. I didn't care. It corrupts dad. Oh my god, our ambassador to France? Ose?
Speaker 3: Is he France?
Speaker 2: Isn't that depressing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I forgot about that soccer and good stuff? Well, Happy Happy d Day.
Speaker 2: Pazi of America is brought to you by Aura Frames. Dads love to tell stories, sometimes more often and for longer durations than they wish they would. This Father's day, share some reference photos of the moments he's always talking about with Aura Frames. Honestly, a lot of dad stories would be much improved by a visual aid. Every Aura Frame features free, unlimited storage, meaning you can add as many photos and videos as you want, so the stories never end. It comes beautifully packaged in a premium gift box, and you can preload photos before it even ships. Then you can keep adding photos from anywhere, anytime via the free Aura app or texting photos directly to your frame or makes it easy to shop for dad or any great storyteller in your life. The or frame is an awesome gift for any parent, especially if there is a grand kid that they want to see and see you constantly, especially if there's a new pet in your life or you go on a great trip. It's just a really cool way to give someone who you love photos of you that rotate. It's not just you know, one frame, it's a series of photos that keep you fresh in their heart and in their mind and in their stories. According to this fun copy about storytelling named number one by Wirecutter, you can save now by visiting Aura frames dot com. For a limited time. Listeners can get thirty five dollars off select frames with the code crooked. That's Aurea frames dot Com promo code crooked. Support the show by mentioning us to check out terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 1: Good Dave America has brought you by Built. We can all agree that housing is expensive. Rent mortgage doesn't matter which one you're paying. It stays every month. But Bill can make it feel a little better. But here's how it works. Bill started out rewarding members on their rent As of twenty twenty six, Built members can also earn points on mortgage payments too. Every housing payment earns you points you can help use with top travel partners like you Unite and Hie. Or you can use your points toward lyft rights, Amazon purchases, and so much more. You can take fitness classes, you can get gift cards at one hundred and twenty brands. You can use it on Amazon, you can use it for lift. There's so many ways to use your Built points, but here's the most underrated part. Build members also get access to a neighborhood concierge. You can make restaurant reservations, book fitness classes, and find you local spots, all while being rewarded at more than forty five thousand merchant partners. It's like having a personal assistant baked into where you live.
Speaker 2: It's simple.
Speaker 1: Being a renter and now owning a home is better with Built. Join the membership for where you live at join built dot com, slash crooked. That's j O I N b I lt dot com slash crooked. Make sure you use ur ur L so they know we sent you.
Speaker 3: All right, So the most viral moment from Trump's Meet the Press interview was when the president ripped off his mic and stormed off set.
Speaker 2: Did he stump on the mic? A lot of people are saying that you threw on the ground and stun all. We can watch a second. It's unclear.
Speaker 3: It started with some tough questions from Kristen Welker about the insurrection a slush fund, which led to Trump repeating his favorite conspiracies about January sixth and the twenty twenty election, and then things just evolved from there. The whole sequence lasted about six minutes, which we won't play in full, but here are the highlights.
Speaker 6: I don't know what's going to happen with the representation front. I love the idea they sent people to jail who did nothing wrong.
Speaker 4: Just be very clear, there's no evidence of what you're saying. But Toddlin, the election was rigged.
Speaker 5: It was a dirty election. This is happening again right now in California. Happening right now in.
Speaker 6: California, right now, it's looking look at what's happened in California that it's four days and they aren't even close to coming up with it. You know why they're doing that because they're cheating on the election.
Speaker 2: What do you have evidence you have to do?
Speaker 6: You're either crooked or you're stupid. You play right into their hands with this rep Your elections are crooked, and you and West Depresses crooked, and so.
Speaker 5: Is ABC and CBS and the mister press, the.
Speaker 6: One shided crooked network shot let's waller switch because I've had a though, thank you, darling, have you go please?
Speaker 4: I traveled all the way to Wisconsin, im I know IA on.
Speaker 6: And off in the ring, and I've given you enough time you would to straighten out your pressed because.
Speaker 2: You know what, mister prof.
Speaker 4: Country can never be great travel with a We traveled all the way to Wisconsin for the I can't till he did.
Speaker 2: It on purpose?
Speaker 3: Think he accidentally crunched it, okay, reminds me of when everything else was on purpose.
Speaker 2: But that but when I went to when.
Speaker 1: I'm into Michigan and interview Bernie and then like about twelve minutes and he's like this, that was a tough remember that, Austin, wrap it up?
Speaker 2: That was that was that was a gut punch. It's good punch.
Speaker 3: You're either crooked or you're stupid. Actually, that's a great slogan for ourself from now, please consider subscribing in front of the pod because you're either.
Speaker 2: Crooked or you're stupid dot com slash friends.
Speaker 3: That was he was very mad there.
Speaker 2: He really rose like you're crooked. He was.
Speaker 1: He was like the part of the I'm gonna put the whole godamn system on trial there.
Speaker 3: Crooked, CNN, NBC, ABC, Is there anyone else?
Speaker 2: Lest Schwartz was worse but apprentice than I was.
Speaker 1: Yells at Christen Welker like she's, yeah, elections, but did you get when they came back? I watched the Meet the Press version and when Welker comes back after the interview, she that I spoke to the president again and he said he'd happily come on and get into the future.
Speaker 2: So he called her. So it's just it's all, it's all a show. He loves her also, like she's such a nice, calm, measured person. The idea that you would flip out on Christen Welker like that is so funny, you know, such a baby.
Speaker 3: He flipped out because she said, do you have the evidence? Where's the evidence? It's like, man, in his mind, it's just like, well, that's what my people told me. And I saw it on the TV, and I saw it in the pote and the truths that I that I reposted, that I retruthed, and so he has no fucking ideas. All you have to do is look, if everyone would just look at what I looked at, you'd know that it was crooked.
Speaker 2: I think it's you're asking for evidence. You know I don't have that. Fuck you, I've got to make it up on television, you know that, so mad about the rain as if she's making rain.
Speaker 3: He also did the because it was too long, we didn't play it, but he did the whole thing again on where on January sixth, the FBI agents the credit FBI was standing outside sending people in to the to the Capitol. It's like you were fucking president dog.
Speaker 1: They only pleaded guilty because they were threatened with jails.
Speaker 3: Were talking about they're on video beating up cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone has knocked down this dumb conspiracy that the FBI set up. The January sixth rioders the.
Speaker 3: FBI that was under the control of Donald Trump on the slush fund. We'll start there and then we can get to the fraud in California. We talked last episode about Todd Blanche tell in Congress that the administration would not be moving forward with the idea, even though Trump says still he loves it, and then Senate Republicans blocked the bipartisan attempts to actually ban the slush fund just in case Trump changes his mind. Now the House is going to give it a go. Democrat Tom Swazi and Republican Brian Fitzpatrick will launch a charge petition this week to force a vote on their bill to ban the slush fund. Two questions, You think the vulnerable Republicans who voted to kill the fund have successfully neutralized their political risk? I think that was Collins, Housted and Dan Sullivan all up for reelection. They vote, but then they voted for the final bill. And do you think Trump will actually just let this thing die? Or is this not the last we've heard of it?
Speaker 1: So he also says to Welker at some point he still likes the fund, but you have to get it approved. And if it didn't get approved, I'd be disappointed. So that's where he's at now. Approved they didn't. He didn't claim to need it approved in the first place, And I was hiding behind the idea of it being approved in some way. So he's sort of leaving his options open, I think, to let it go or do it in some other fashion. I think the like it's very clear that they did not appreciate how big of a political problem it would be to launch this thing. Todd Blanche clearly thought this was going to be He was doing what he Trump wanted and got him the nomination to be Attorney general, and then it just.
Speaker 2: The whole thing blew up. Yeah. To me, he sounds like a man who is not ashamed by the fund or worried about the politics. It sounds like he thinks he's owed this, genuinely thinks he has owed this money. He deserves this money, just like he has owed the money from CBS because of that lawsuit, or the bribes from the tech companies to build his ballroom, and goddamn it, he's going to get it. And that's why, to me, the political risk for all the vulnerable members does not go away, because I don't think he's going to drop it, and I think it's going to be an ongoing issue, and just like to be to be having this conversation is so politically damaging, Like this man is trying to extort us taxpayers for one point eight billion dollars to pay off people who beat up cops. That is crazy.
Speaker 3: This is the taxpayer funded transition Surgery for prisoners issue of from twenty twenty four in the twenty twenty six mid terms. Like I have not seen a pole yet about this, but like throwing a poll at one point eight billion dollars from the taxpayers to pay out people who were convicted criminals on camera trying to murder cops. That's that's what we're doing. That's where tax paramney is going at a time of inflation and high gas prices. It's like, I can't great. And also for like Susan Collins and John Houstead and Dan Sullivan, they voted for the bill. They voted for the like they tried to, you know, vote for the provision that would block it, but then when that failed, they gave the green light to the whole bill that went forward and they didn't do anything to stop it. They could have voted again because you know who did vote against the final bill, Lisa Murcusky, And she's the only Republican who did, and the rest of them just said fuck it, I'm just gonna vote for the bill anyway.
Speaker 1: It is this sort of like even on the merits like this is the core of the problem of someone like Susan Collins or these Republicans who tried it once in a while, stake out and anti Trump view, but for the most part vote with the caucus, which is they are part of enabling Donald Trump. And the only reason we got to the point where this fund could be proposed is because Donald Trump believes that he has the Republican Caucus in his pocket and he is right and for all their kind of hemming and high and all the concerns, who's in Collins has shown she is one of the fifty enablers of Donald Trump time and time again. And you can go to the podium and give these statements, but at the end of the day, you support a Senate majority in a Senate, you support Donald Trump being able to do whatever he wants without any kind of accountability.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about the fraud claims from Trump and night Meet the Press interview, which again started with his usual bullshit about twenty twenty, but also included some fresh material on last week's California primaries where the votes are still being counted. A reminder that everyone here in California gets a ballot in the mail, which you can return by mail or drop off in person, and as long as you get it postmarked by election day and it arrives within seven days, it does get counted. That process means the count is very slow and big changes can happen late, especially in an election like this where a lot of voters, especially Democrats, were undecided until the very end. And that is of course what is ha happening right now. In the LA mayor's race. Nathie Rahman has now overtaken Spencer Pratt in account and it appears she will make the runoff and face Karen Bass in November. That's what some organizations are projecting. AP hasn't gone with it yet, but it's definitely trending that way. This led to many Trump posts, the most recent as of this recording being quote not possible for Spencer Pratt to have lost the LA runoffs after the big lead he had Third world nation rigged elections. Now they'll be working on a great guy, Steve Hilton. Hilton is the Trump endorsed Republican in the governor's race, who's currently sitting in the second general election slot, though Tom Steyer is gaining on him. Unclear if Styer will actually catch him. And plenty of maga dipshit's are following Trump's lead on this. Here's just a sample.
Speaker 10: I'm not saying it's rigged. I'm saying it stinks to high heaven. And everybody knows that California is playing around with us.
Speaker 5: But what evidence is there to prove that that it.
Speaker 6: Was his rank?
Speaker 10: I don't Some of these efforts are so diabolical and so far upstream it is impossible to prove. But I think everybody knows instinctively something is wrong here.
Speaker 3: So people can just dig through garbage cans, find ballots and send them in apparently forever after an election is over.
Speaker 2: It's not okay. Really smart people need to go to the acts. Dum smart. That's what Randy Fine looks like. Randy Randy Fine, Harvard Harvard twice. Let me check it. I'm gonna check the facts.
Speaker 3: Check the fine.
Speaker 2: Randy Fine, Harvard.
Speaker 3: Undergrad and grad. What was his I don't know what the graduate degree.
Speaker 2: Is Harvard Harvard University b A N B a.
Speaker 3: Wow, NBA, it was a school.
Speaker 2: There we go, There we go. Sounds like a good time.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, a lot of people get into Harvard, but he's sparking a lot of people don't get it.
Speaker 2: So that's the cool thing about Harvard.
Speaker 3: So before we even get to the fraud part, thoughts on Mithia overtaking Pratt.
Speaker 2: It's a bad day for Karen Bash.
Speaker 1: They thought they could have a nice little runoff where basically she got to run against Rick Caruso with a head injury.
Speaker 2: And instead it's.
Speaker 1: Instead instead, and instead she's going to face somebody that has a hot that actually, like, you know, Karen Bass is unpopular Nythia. I think a lot of people don't know Nythia, but she has a positive approval rating among people who do know her. It doesn't surprise me that a lot of the kind of hyper engage LA voter who didn't want to vote for the governor's race to the last possible minute were a bunch of Nythia Rahman voters that were paying really close attention. But I do think it's very good for Los Angeles because it means we now get a runoff where with real stakes about what kind of democratic leadership we want as opposed to what we would have had, which is six months.
Speaker 2: I fear mongering run spen spread. Yeah, just to be clear, establishment Democrats in California are rigging the election to make it harder for the incumbent mayor to win the mayoral here in Los Angeles, but also rigging it so the statewide race will include a Republican so that Steve Hilton has a chance to become governor.
Speaker 3: It's because we know what's up here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, that makes sense. He did love his point. You know, head injuries is whaxed by a big crystal and the like. Now it's a real race, like Karen bass is a week incumbent because of handling of the fires, homelessness, cost of living, like anger at incumbents generally, and Spencer Pratt was was dominating the battle for attention for super online people, if you're a Twitter power user, if you're super politically engaged. Spencer Pratt was everywhere because our algorithms were feeding us his AI slop crap, and you know, just felt like he was all over And that's a small slice of the electorate. It turns out because the LA Times did a poll right before the election where they modeled the actual electorate, and that poll looks like it was pretty much spot on at this point. And so what actually happened is what I think that political professionals always assumed would happen, which is the MAGA adjacent candidate. Spencer Pratt was never going to do very well in Los Angeles in a county where fifteen percent of Regis voters are Republican and Trump is fifty five points underwater, and Pratt was aligned with Trump like that of course that was what's going to happen here.
Speaker 3: In fact, Spencer Pratt's campaign was nothing special at all, and and like you know, I think you could look at the media tactics and say, there's there's things for other candidates to learn about how to grab attention. But yeah, the La TA the La Times poll that you mentioned, Tommy, it was it was May twenty eighth, so like a couple of weeks before the election, and it was Bass twenty six, Romen twenty five. Pratt twenty two. Didn't get as much attention because it sort of went against the prevailing narrative of like the super online set, which is journalists and all of us, and people are all us for sure, and then but today it's right now, it's Bass thirty four, Romen twenty seven, Pratt twenty six. And you know, you could see sort of Pratt going even lower and maybe Bass going a little bit lower as the as the final vote comes in. But we'll see, and it turns out that Spencer Pratt is it's probably going to finish almost where Donald Trump finished in twenty twenty four in this city. And now that's a bigger electric so like you can't it's not exactly apples to apples. But he also he did much worse than Caruso did. Uh, Cruzo spent more money, but also Spencer Pratt raised more than Karen Bass or Nythia spent more, had crazy amount of attention, and basically performed like a standard issue Republican in Los Angeles, absolutely no better at all.
Speaker 1: Imagine if like Joe Biden had give an interview saying that, like Amy McGrath's loss is because of fraud in Kentucky, because everybody loves Amy McGrath and Amy grath is doing incredible stuff out there. Look, there are people that, like you know, they are they're captivating to the kind of people that are watching really closely that are hyperpartisan. But then voters in LA who I think are really frustrated with Karen Bass, really frustrated with Democrats, they would and for all we know, we don't know, right, if Nythia Ramin weren't in the race, like, how many anti incumbent votes might have gone to Spencer Pratt.
Speaker 2: Like I think it's a.
Speaker 1: I think it's a little bit more than just the kind of he got, the kind of standard Republican vote. You know, we don't know how many votes for Ramen are Democrats who are just anti incumbent and maybe they could have been Spencer Pratt voters, right, because they just did not want to vote for Karen Bass. But regardless, as much as people in this city are really frustrated with Democratic leadership, they're not going to vote for someone aligned with Trump who was going around saying crazy shit about the city.
Speaker 3: He ran a horrible campaign, and he actually became more maga the closer it got to election day, like he's I think we talked about this, maybe off Mike or Onike, I can't remember anymore. But he spent the weekend before the election in New York on Fox and Friends. It was not Gutfeld too, calling for Nithia and Karen Bass to be jailed and then talking about how people were raping dogs in skid row, like that's how That's how he ended the race. He became more of like a meglomaniac at the end, or at least openly. He didn't try at all to distance himself from Republicans at all, like Rick Caruso ran a race where he was at least like, I'm going to listen to both sides, like he tried to be as nonpartisan as possible, which is probably why he ended up doing better than Spencer Pratt. But Spencer Pratt actually got more maga seeming the closer he got to election day. So andyone was like, oh, it was a brilliant campaign this and that's like, no, it wasn't. He had the possibility of maybe running a campaign where he had this like angry populist message and he sort of tapped into the frustration with the government, but he just fucking blew it as the as the race got closer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I should say, like, obviously I've been very insulting to Spencer Pratt, and there's a there, like he lost his house. There's a lot of anger about the way the fires were managed, but he just didn't run that campaign. And I do think there's like a kind of insular conversation that happened. If you look at the map of where Spencer Pratt vote came from, there's this kind of ring of like wealthier places around the city that like are people that are very online, I think, very kind of like Bill Maher fairy Weiss world kind of coded at least like like just sort of tapped into that world who are really frustrated with Democrats, who think the Democrats have gone crazy and moved too far left right, And there's just not that that's that is a big pool of people on the internet, right, And it's.
Speaker 3: A big pool of people who yeah, on the Internet and just who have like outsized influences and louder megaphones and other people. Because it wasn't I will say, it wasn't purely an online phenomenon, and that like we all know people and we were in circles where someone's like, oh, I've talked to some Democrats who were voting for Spencer Pratten, and now I would always ask him like, are you are they Democrats who voted for Karen Bass last time or are they Caruso voters who were now Pratt voters? And you didn't find too many Bass Pratt voters out there.
Speaker 2: Right, There was a genuine frustration with Karen Bass. I personally felt it. We talked about this on the show. Her management of the city around the fire, as I thought, was really really bad. And I think for Spencer Pratt having his house burned down, understandably he was channeling some legitimate and righteous rage about all things LA and the fires. If Rick Cruso had won again, I think there's a very good chance he could have done well and made the runoff maybe one outright, yeah, because he had a track record. He was like I built the grove and and Spencer Prats like I coined the term Spidey and maybe leaked a sex tape about LC. Yeah it's for me, Like he just let you self evidently not qualified for the job. So I mean like that, this is what was so frustrating. And I think about the boomlet about the guy was it was just like kind of like TMG adjacent Twitter algorithm pumped bullshit and hype backed by.
Speaker 3: Nothing well, and to your point, love it about the map. It's it's analogous too for those of you listening from DC or have been to DC. Like how people in northwest DC and northwest d C think like that's the whole city and there's actually three other quadrants in d C where a ton of fucking people live. They're just not as loud or as privileged as everyone in the northwest. And that, I think is what happened in LA too, is like there's this is a big, big city and all those places they voted for Bass, especially in southern in eastern LA and Nythia as well, like they're just not a Nythea's areas are definitely wealthier, for sure, but there's just it's just an outsize influence and loudness you get from people on the west side that doesn't actually represent most of LA. So on the fraud allegations, how seriously do you guys take those allegations from Trump and other Republicans as a potential harbinger of things to come in November or future elections?
Speaker 2: I guess I mean Trump's gonna say that any election he or Republicans did not win was stolen, right, It's a headside wind tells you lose set up. I think this was kind of the perfect storms. The Spencer Boomlet, this expectation that just built and built and built, that he was some great candidate and going to win. Then there's the California voting process and how slow it is, and we'll talk about that in a second, and then you know this just it wasn't like a big election night with a lot of other things to talk about. It was a lot of people focusing on this in this still counting. And so I think what I found personally so annoying about this is how much information you can find about the process if you try to find it. Like I got in a little exchange with Megan McCain about this on Sunday, I was bored on a flight. She's an unpleasant person who doesn't apparently want to educate herself. But like, you could go reporters, the counting process is live streamed. Reporters can and do go to the processing center. The general public can and do go to observe the counting if you want to. There are representatives from the campaigns observing the counting. Like the problems are well documented, LA County is the largest election jurisdiction in the country. They are more registered voters in this county than forty one states have statewide.
Speaker 3: I know ten million people in LA County. People don't understand this. It's really big, people, it's really big here.
Speaker 2: Everyone come visit. And in California, most of us vote by mail. It's like eighty or ninety percent of California voters use the valve that gets mailed to your house, compared to fifteen percent in Texas. And I love that because our ballot is really long and complicated. There's a lot of stuff you got to google and it takes hours. And like, I'm glad I could do that at home. And so, like you mentioned, vote by mail ballots, if they're postmarked on election day, received within seven days, they get counted. The signature matching process can take a lot of time. Again, that's a thing Republicans like I was gonna, yeah, I think you guys like the signature matching process. That's called voter verification. And if there's an issue with your signature, there's time to cure it and fix it. That can take time. Takes time to open the ballots, check the signatures, like what we should do is put more money, more time, more resources, more people, more machines, throw it at this problem, try to speed it up a little bit.
Speaker 1: That would be helpful. But like, we have a lot of people here, this is how we vote. Yeah, I mean we have a lot of people, but the scale shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be a factor.
Speaker 1: And how quickly we count the ballots, right like Texas can count the.
Speaker 2: Faster for other reasons. I'm saying that there.
Speaker 1: I think there's there are ways in which we can keep postmarked by election day, we keep all the kind of pro voter policies that we have, and it can be done. Should be faster, It'd be much faster now. I do think one part of this is a lot of people held their ballots because they were waiting. They're being strategic about the governor's race, or maybe they just weren't and just actually didn't feel inspired by their choices. Whatever, people really helped them to their ballots. I think the two things should happen one going into November in California. I think we all really need to view it as kind of a civic responsibility to get our ballots in sooner, right, Like, I think we can all help by having more ballots in and then two. So California now counties have to have to count the most of the votes within thirteen days, or they have to notify their provisional ballots and exceptions, but they have to count within thirteen days. But with some more resources, it should be possible that on election night they've counted all the ballots they've already received and can put those numbers up and then kind of the counts can be happening quicker. And that is a resource question.
Speaker 6: You have.
Speaker 1: Counties where they're still taking you know, it's days and days and days after they're getting ballots that they can ultimately get to counting them. They have limited hours, they've limited space, like all of this could be resolved, and you know Governor govin Newsim has talked about this about wanting the ballots to be faster. I just don't appreciate when the Secretary of State of California is like, we want to be it's accuracy, not speed. I wish there was more acknowledgement that the process could be faster, what the resources would be required, because it's a huge problem. And look, there's nothing you can do to account for the fact that these people are going to accuse us a fraud.
Speaker 2: But I do think we should be able.
Speaker 1: To count our ballots faster, even at this size.
Speaker 2: Right, I agree, Like that's why I said no more money, more resources, Like we should count faster. It sucks, it's frustrating, it's embarrassing. What I just have no time for is the people who don't spend one second trying to find good information. They spread the meme that they got forwarded by their aunt on Facebook, and like they're like people kicking up the quote from Trump. It's like he doesn't know a goddamn thing about what's happening.
Speaker 3: Also, let's let's be clear here. The reason we all want it counted faster is because we know that if it's not being counted fast enough, then Republicans now cry.
Speaker 2: Fraud in the election.
Speaker 3: There's no civic, governmental reason for it to be counted faster. It would be nice. We're all fucking impatient people and just want results really fast. But like, now, look to your point, love it. There are other states with mostly mail in ballots where you can postmark by election day, Washington State, Colorado, et cetera. And they're all faster than us. Now they are smaller states. I do think the biggest problem with California is we leave it to the counties still, and so like Los Angeles, actually Los Angeles County was still posting updates over the weekend. A lot of counties just no one works on the weekend to count the ballots. They don't have enough staff, they don't post anything on the weekends, and there's just not enough machinery. So I think there is no excuse for the state legislature, which is controlled by Democrats and there's a democratic governor to pass more funding for staff or resources for a faster signature verification process, which you could probably do as well. You could probably limit the window for curing your ballot if the signature doesn't match, because you have like twenty days I think to cure your ballot at this point, which is it's pretty long, right, So there's there's definitely things you can do on the margin to make it faster by making it a whole state thing instead of county by county.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yes, it is to answer totally bullshit allegations of fraud, but also we're the fourth fifth largest economy on Earth. Why are we having so much trouble doing something that other places can do faster than us.
Speaker 2: I do think that that is like it. It's about good government too. Yeah. Yeah, Positive America is brought to you by HYMNS. ED is way more common than most guys think. Millions of guys deal with it at some point. That's exactly why HYMNS offers a straightforward way to handle it. Hymns connects you with licensed healthcare providers online, giving you simple access to legitimate ED treatment options from home. No awkward appointments, no pharmacy lines. Just complete a simple online intake and a provider will review your information to determine if treatment is right for you. If prescribe, your treatment ships directly to your door in discrete packaging, your own little stimulus package that includes so dniphil also known as a generic for viagra, which is available through HYMNS that up to ninety five percent less than the brand name version. And if that option isn't right for you, there are additional treatment options available so you can find what works best for your body. Straightforward, transparent, and designed to make getting care easy to get. Simple online access to personalized, affordable care for ED, weight loss and more. Visit hymns dot com slash crooked. That's hymns dot com slash crooked for your free online visit hymns dot com. Slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Prescription required. See website for details and important safety information. So Dentifhil is the generic version of Viagra. Viagra is a registered trademark of Viatrice Specialty LLC. Hymns is not affiliated with or endorsed by Viatrice. Pod Dave America is brought to you by Zebiotic. Saturday Night with my wife and friends, Sunday morning with my kids. Those are both non negotiables. Yeah, you always I am. I simply must be at my best for the children. The problem is the second one used to feel a lot harder after the first one. Now with Zebiotics pre alcohol, it's a small thing I added that makes the whole weekend work. It's like, uh, I got make sure that I'm fully aware to take care of these kids because I got to find their pearents. Zibiotics pre alcohol probiotic drink is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here's how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this by product, not dehydration that's to blame for rough days after drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this byproduct down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. We love zobiotics, love best.
Speaker 2: I had it at the wedding. It was awesome. It makes you just you just feel a little bit better the next day. There's one hundred percent money back guarantee. If you have not tried zbiotics yet, what is holding you back? Yeah, what's on the avouent. It's basically free. Try it, Try get a six pack or whatever. Try it one time and when you have like two or three drinks one night, I guarantee you it will make you feel so much better the next day.
Speaker 1: Go to zibiotics dot com slash criocket to learn more and get fifteen percent off your first order when you use criocket a check out. Zibiotics is back to a one hundred percent money back guarantee, so if you're unsatisfied for any reason, they'll refund your money, no questions, ask remember at zibiotics dot com, slash cricket and use the code cricket to check out for fifteen percent off.
Speaker 3: All right, So, Alex and I talked on Friday about the mess at sixty minutes and Scott Pelly's decision to sound the alarm about what he says is conservative bias at CBS News under Barry Weiss, which led to Pelly's firing. He then sat down with The New York Times for a conversation with Lulugarcianavarro at the interview, which published over the weekend, where he elaborated on his claims for the first time. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 7: About four hours after our deadline, Barry Weiss sends an email to my boss, Tanya Simon. Two of the things in the email include, can we make the protesters look more violent? Now I'm paraphrasing. I don't have the quote, but that's what was communicated to me. And the other thing was Renee Goods car you need to describe her as driving toward the officer. There was a thumb on the scale for the President's version of events that I felt was a level of political influence that I had never seen in thirty seven years at CBS News.
Speaker 3: Did you guys listen to the whole interview and what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I watched the whole thing. The thing that jumped out to me was.
Speaker 1: Pelly makes he talks about the bias and of pushing on these stories. And CBS gave a comment to The Times basically saying there was a back and forth, not everything that was requested ended up in the final piece whatever. So they're saying, look, we had a back and forth about it, but let's assume that there is some bias. The point that Pelly makes is just what I take from his broader interview and the story here is that it's not just about the biased, about the incompetence of the whole operation that like that they just have not communicated. Well, now, I think some of this has been motivated reasoning, right, Because then like he then also refuses to meet It sounds like he did refuse to meet with them for a time as well, right, So like tempers were clearly high, but like you do get the sense like he makes the point that Nick Bilton, who is a friend of mine, was it was reading from his phone in one of the meetings, and clearly like that was making Pelly get mad in the moment, right, and like so some of this is just people that have been accused of being brought in to be pro Trump, to have bias to help Ellison gets deals done, and then like sort of hamphysically firing people trying to kind of have editorial opinions. It confirming people's worst expectations, and it kind of spiraling out of control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look, I thought what we just watched there were some pretty damning allegations that, you know, Barry Weiss is just interfering with segments, not just in a political way, but like in a way that was not factual, Like make it look like Reney Goods driving at the cops pretty clearly was not with your own eyes. I also was taken by just how incompetent he described the new team as being like entire episodes of sixty minutes almost didn't make air. That seems bad. They couldn't get Tony ducoppol a visa to cover the President's trip to China, also a pretty big deal. Pretty bad. Pelly also overtly uses the words he accuses the CBS of paying a multi billion dollar bribe to President Trump when they settled the lawsuit around the sixty Minutes edit of Kamala Harris's interview, and so look like, you know, I don't know Barry Weiss. Some people say she's lovely and charming, some people think she's, you know, the devil like right, The truth is obviously somewhere in between. I've met Nick Bilton before. Seems like a nice guy, good author, smart screenwriter. Neither of him has any TV experience and seemingly have no business overseeing the most successful TV news show with this network. I mean, Barry Weiss is the editor in chief of CBS TV CBS News, but Nick Bilton's never worked in TV, and he's getting put in charge of sixty Minutes, which is by every measure of success. The ratings are up nine percent. They make nearly seventy million dollars in AD revenue in twenty twenty five. Like it's not a thing that's broken needs fixing, which is a lot of Pelly's point. And I think ultimately like Weiss and built In were brought in as part of a corrupt project to change CBS News, to make it okay for President Trump in some way to grease the Paramount Skydance merger or whatever merger they want to do in the future. That's what I think Pelly thinks happened here. And there were times in this interview where it can seem a little pompous and sound like self righteous, and it's very emotional, right, Like Pelley seems to compare himself to like a veterans in combat at one point, which is a little odd, refers to sixty minutes as his spouse being murdered. Yeah, so he's very emotional. But like clear, this guy who loves his job, never want to do anything else, never wanted to leave, didn't seemingly didn't think he'd get fired, even when he like lit his new boss on fire in front of the entire group. But it's worth the listen.
Speaker 3: I think he also, I think gets most emotional when he's talking about Tinya Simon and some of the other people who've been fired and who have been treated poorly, which I think is telling. I actually think that if you took Trump out of the equation, I think Barry Wise still would have sent that email, those emails about Renee Good because this could be happening she might not think to herself, I am doing Donald Trump's bidding. But if anyone has experienced the free press, read the free press, or trafficked in any of the circles of the anti anti Trump Republicans who are always making excuses for Trump, but they think that they're more like moral and normal and sane.
Speaker 1: People who haven't lost their minds. That's to the people that haven't gone crazy, right.
Speaker 3: Like if that was like, and we saw this split in the conservative movement between the Renee Good killing and the Alex Prettie killing, and that some of them who were who tried to, you know, push this narrative that Renee Good was driving at the cops and stuff like that, they kind of broke off when it was Alex pretty and it was even more obvious, and they were like, Okay, this one is bad, you know. So it actually made sense to me that Barry Weis would do this because and I think this is probably indicative of what happened at CBS and why sixty minutes and the people at sixty minutes were so angry. Is I think Barry Weiss came in and I'm and I having seen Nick Bilton's tweets and commentary here and there. I think he's someone who's like, Okay, the Libs have gone crazy too. They both get in there and they're thinking like, this is another evidence of liberal media that we got to fix. And I'm sure the staff at sixty Minutes and the reporters there are like, you know what, we take our jobs very fucking seriously and do really good reporting in fact check it a lot, and we don't consider ourselves like part of like the liberal media and bias. And so I think there was that probably that clash, yes, ideologies.
Speaker 1: There's I think like a revealing point where at some point Barry Weiss says, some versions, if you're not biased, why does the country why does the country think you're biased?
Speaker 2: Right? Which is an article of faith. They're like, well, what's the evidence for that? Right? And so look like Scott Pelly in that clip.
Speaker 1: Is paraphrasing an email he didn't see, right, Like that is like I don't know what the exact text of it is. I don't know how they I am sure was trying to push it sort of more kind of in a way that was sort of like more favorable to the Trump version of events. But the non liberal version of events.
Speaker 3: It was the entire right wing media ecosystem version of events.
Speaker 1: But the other thing that's strange about this interview, right is like he had I mean, he wants Barry Wise fire, right, he but he also has a lot of like nice words to say about Ellison, which is really strange. Right, And what I took from this interview is like he's like, oh, we were excited when Ellison came to the newsroom. He greeted us, he called me sir, right, Like, there's this way in which was what I was wondering when I was bouting to the interview, is this somebody who was trying to get Barry Weise's shit canned and then someone who can go back to CBS.
Speaker 2: And he's saying to he's saying to Ellison, hey, I'm not.
Speaker 1: A problem if Barry Weiss isn't there, Right, You're good Barry Weiss's I'm not your problem. Barry Weiss is your problem because now I'm talking about how great you were when you came and she's the one that's got to go. So I thought that was sort of like, because if Barry Weis is part of some Ellison project to kind of grease the skids for a deal, right, it would be it would be Ellison at fault too, But that's not how Pelly talks about. No.
Speaker 2: What he says about that David Ellison is this like he's pissed at Sherry red Zone for doing a deal with Trump and paying the bribe to make the lawsuit go away. And the lawsuit was obviously bullshit, and I think he views that as unforgivable. Then it permanently damaged sixty minutes, and so he's like, look, a new guy came in, had some money, had some political swat, Like we're all good there, Like if you want to support our project here and you've got the balls to stand up to people, I'm there with you it did you know? It could be strategic? And then he's trying to divide the two of them. But like, you know, I found that interesting too, in pretty notable and maybe believable. Got it.
Speaker 3: But also it's like he's not dealing with David Ellison, He's dealing with Barry Weiss, you know, like you can be nice to the boss's boss, who when they greet you is like heiser nice, and then like Barry Weiss is the one who's murdering sixty minutes right right else and then and then and then also Hilton, who she just sent in with and didn't even go to the meeting herself and just made him deal with that.
Speaker 2: Look I stand by with Nick.
Speaker 1: Look you go to that first meeting and think, all right, I'm going to kiss everybody's ass and get her back, get her back on side, and you're like, oh fuck, this is mad.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine?
Speaker 1: Just like trying to imagine too, Like you're just your aunt, You're at your first day at work, and Scott Pelley, one of the most famous journalists in the world, is like, you're murdering the most beautiful thing that any of us has ever seen?
Speaker 2: Round of applause. Do you think someone's holding up? I just don't think that.
Speaker 3: Like, how can you expect anything else when you have obviously been following along what Barry Weiss has been doing and the firings just happened right like of course, Like it's not like it's not like he got to the meeting and all of a sudden someone's like, excuse me, Nick building, they just fired a bunch of the staff.
Speaker 2: And again, like I met Nick a couple of times he's always seemed nice, but he did a series of interviews media journalists where he just could not have sounded more pompous and insulting, and like, I know this is going to be easy. I know everything. You know, Like I'm going to be the one like uploading the video to the satellite truck is like okay, buddy, Well, like.
Speaker 3: It's a Barry Wise free press salon party circuit. It's the exact kind of language. It's it's there's just a whole set of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The point that Pelly made in that conversation is like, how could you take a job like this given the circumstances?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And that does mean whoever is going to run sixty minutes if it wants to prove something to these journalists, has a lot of work to do, right, And like the fact I'm like used to Leslie Stall and some other people are staying right and like, I don't know what the what the future of this thing looks like, but I do think that a world of war sixty minutes gets to kind of continue to exist, and there's and maybe this continues to like boil over into the public, and that's I don't know, Like if you're taking the job right and you've never had TV experience, you're doing it after all these firings and you walk in expect to be given the benefit out.
Speaker 2: It's just like, not what's gonna happen? Right?
Speaker 1: And like Barry Wise doesn't have TV experience, Nick doesn't have TV experience. You're taking over like one of the most important jobs in all of television.
Speaker 2: They're not qualified for the job. They're just not And it's not mean or insulting to say that, like you never worked in TV, you are not qualified for this job and taking it is ridiculous. And what do you think is gonna happen? Just to give me a break?
Speaker 3: So the last ten years have been just a rash of people who are like wealthy and powerful and influential thinking that because they're good at one thing, they can be good at other things. That it's a real fucking problem that we have in this country right now. Just talk to any of the tech pros. Trump exactly what Donald Trump? One last new story to get you here. We are recording on Monday afternoon, California time. Shortly after we leave the studio, Trumpell to part his Golf Club in New Jersey from Midtown Manhattan, where he will attend Game three of the NBA Finals at Madison Square Garden, which will bring traffic to a standstill, require ticket holders to arrive hours early for security checks, and force the cancelation of the watch party outside MSG for people who don't have tickets, which is just about ever. Ever, so, how are people feeling about the decision? Quote Of all the selfish, narcissistic things Trump has done, attending MSG to see the Knicks play in person Monday night is the absolute worst. These are the sentiments of none other than and Coulter, but the feeling also seems pretty widespread. Let's listen, since when Trump the Mixed Games now all of a sudden weren't winning.
Speaker 5: He wanted to be here.
Speaker 2: If the Knicks lose tonight, I blame Trump. I don't want Trump had the game is. I don't want no new people at the games come into Game three of the Finals, and I don't want them there. It has everything to do with him.
Speaker 6: Disrupt thing and contributing at the same time to the chaos.
Speaker 9: If it causes the New York Knicks to win, to lose to Night, I'm blaming him.
Speaker 5: I'm blaming the president of the United States.
Speaker 3: Of course, everyone probably recognizes stephen A. There before stephen A was Mace.
Speaker 2: That was excuse stephen a guest on this show. I listened stephen A in a bright pink suit, in a bright pink tie, ranting about Donald Trump going to a next game. That's what I want out of sports media. That is, that's perfection.
Speaker 3: You know, Trump is expected to be uh to booed, to be booed.
Speaker 2: Probably.
Speaker 3: Also, there's gonna be an unfavorable split screen with actual Knicks fan Zorn Mumdani, who coughed up a thousand bucks for a standing room only ticket, So that's gonna be an interesting thing. Mumdannie. Also, uh decided to throw free watch parties in Bryant Park and I think two other locations as well, because the area around MSG is closed down. Why do you guys think Trump's doing this?
Speaker 2: I mean, he knows the power of live professional sports, and that's the only like kind of monocultural events we really have left. It's why he goes to a lot of games, usually the NFL. I went to the Super Bowl. What do you think the SEC champions? What's something like a college football championship in NASCAR. You in Nascar? Yeah, I think he's been a NASCAR you know, so usually he's more welcome in those, you know, sort of southern NFL spaces. I don't think he will be here. I mean, he's also buddies with James Dolan, I think, the owner of the Knicks, who's a terrible guy who likes because he surveils people who like are mean to him at games, always pals with the owners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not a real player guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, But like look Roger Bennett and I talk about this in the interview. I mean because remember last year Trump went to the FIFA Club Championship in the US and he was supposed to walk up with Johnny and Pattina, the head of FIFA, hand the trophy to the Chelsea players, and then walk off the stage so they could celebrate, and he just stood there and jumped with them and like celebrate with them. So he makes it about himself because he loves the limelight. He loves every spotlight, and he will attempt to co opt this one too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't give a shit about anyone by himself. Like, right, we know this when when you have to decide whether the president of United States is going to attend an event like that. The biggest consideration, Well, first of all, you talk to Service and be like, okay, what does the security have to look like? And you need to listen to Secret Service, and especially Donald Trump, he's been you know, survived multiple assassin to nation attempts now right. But then when the Service tells you what it's going to choir security wise, and they tell you that, well, as a consequence, it's going to you know, inconvenience quite a few Americans. Then sometimes the President's like, well, do I really want to piss off that many people by doing this? Is it really that important if my going means a whole bunch of mother And then you say, well maybe not, Maybe it's not that important.
Speaker 6: For me to go.
Speaker 3: Imagine Trump would never say that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he just wants to go to the game. He doesn't give a fuck. He wants to go to the game.
Speaker 1: He wants to sit there, he wants to be booed by New Yorkers. Uh, he wants to he wants to like be the center of attention.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't care there'd be two hour waits outside that to barricade whole parts of Midtown Manhattan to make this pause by the cancel the watch.
Speaker 2: He didn't give a fuck.
Speaker 3: I mean, arguably worse is when he always wants to, like, if there's a natural disaster somewhere and he's got to go be on the scene immediately, even when local officials are like, please, we're trying to clean up the disaster here and we can't have a presidential visit because it's too much mess and security right now and just come later. He's like, I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 2: He also he thinks he's a New Yorker and that New York likes him and they do not.
Speaker 3: Well, he's because he's also like shit all over it when he left, Yeah, mar blurredy like New York that it's become trash now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he's gonna love the split screen. I hope whoever is on the ones and twos it just go man, Donnie cheers like crazy Trump booz go back and forth, give us a couple back for us.
Speaker 3: And because mom Donnie's so talented, he's gonna be He's gonna be so nice about it too, Like he's not gonna try to you know, jab Trump at all.
Speaker 1: They're gonna they're gonna have They're gonna have a shot of Donald Trump being booed while I'm Donnie's like gonna be nice, and it's gonna be I hope we get that.
Speaker 2: There's also only that a bunch of cool celebrities who always go to games, like Timothy Shallome and Tracy Morgan and Ben Stiller, who will be like on the wood with the people, like join the game and trouble will be up hiding in a luxury box like kind of lurking from behind, hoping he doesn't get booed. We can't say courtside. No, it would be great if you tried walk down there.
Speaker 3: People were retweeting some old tweets from Josh Hart today Next Player just like shitting all over Trump. But he's not a I don't think he's beloved by the next No.
Speaker 2: We also remember like Trump very specifically, I think yelled at or does me the lebron James shut up and dribbled guy.
Speaker 1: It's also like basketball, it's so much smaller, it's so much closer. They're just like right there, like it's going to be part of the game that Trump is at this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look at Fox News and Trump. They love to tell athletes, especially black athletes, to not have political opinions. But if you like Trump, then you are allowed to have a political opinion. You can come to the White House. Maybe you can participate in Ultimate Fighting Championship event on the South Lawn. Right, that's how this works. Yeah, sadly not no John at that one. Yeah, I faver didn't make the cut just a realm so close. I read that it would have been very funny.
Speaker 3: It would have been very funny.
Speaker 2: I think what would have happened is you would have shown up at the place where you get the van to go to the thing, and someone would like clock your face and be like, oh no, that's.
Speaker 3: I had thought that. But like four thousand people on the South Line, it's a lot of people to really be like doing the face sheet because it's not I it was inside the White House, it'd be like yeah, no way. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I think there was.
Speaker 1: I think if once you're at that point that nobody knows that they random people like celebrities are showing up all the time. You never know what part of some Trump drug.
Speaker 3: Deal suddenly I'm walking. I'm taking my seat right next to Vince Vaughn and anybody. He's like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Love swingers? Loved even swingers. It's going to be so hot and so miserable out there, and.
Speaker 3: So so I was looking at the weather for this because there's like a like a chance of thunderstorms now too, and it's ninety one and maybe thunder storm any one.
Speaker 2: Degrees like humid, bugs everywhere, awful people all around you. Imagine I have to fight in that. Yeah, and then they get.
Speaker 3: In a white said too. He was like, it's not the ideal it's the ideal environment usf.
Speaker 1: Imagine they're like, we got to pull it down because of lightning. They don't want to pull it down because of lightning. And all of a sudden, you have basically a biblical event hits that just a metal things and are possible.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to check it out, all right when we come back. Tommy's conversation with Roger Bennett of Men in Blazers.
Speaker 2: Today's show is sponsored by Strawberry dot Me. Think about your career, close your eyes. Maybe it looks good on paper, but does something feel a bit off? Maybe you're stuck, maybe you're burned out, maybe you're ready to move up to that next level, or maybe you just want clarity on what's next. That's where a mentor comes in, or a coach, or just someone to help you figure out that path to the next rung up on your journey. That's where today's sponsors, Strawberry dot Me comes in. Strawberry dot Me matches you with a real career coach, carefully selected based on your goals, your personality, and your professional background. These aren't random Internet gurus selling their advice. Coaches on the platform average sixteen or more years of experience across nine hundred companies in thirty seven industries and have been leaders, founders, and executives themselves. And it's not just a single conversation. You have one on one video call with your coach, build a personalized plan together, and stay connected between sessions. When real life challenges arise, most people had a meaningful milestone within four to six sessions, whether that's landing a new role, getting unstuck, building confidence, or finally taking action on something they've been putting off for too many years. Visit Strawberry Me and start with the coaching trial today. Tell them pot Save America sent you a get fifty percent off your first session. That's Strawberry dot Me. Tell them pot Save America sent you for fifty percent off your first session. My guest today is the co creator and longtime host at the smash hit Men in Blazers podcast the Men in Blazers Media Network. Really, he's a New York Times bestselling author whose most recent book is called We Are the World Cup. By it Now. It's also an international man of mystery and a sex symbol. Roger Bennett, How you doing, buddy?
Speaker 8: It was good until he just said that to me. It's so lovely to see that. You look amazing man.
Speaker 2: You two longtime no see, I'm thrilled to talk to you now, because boy, there's a lot going on. There's a lot of football, a lot of soccer in the world. For anyone who wants to learn more about the World Cup. You still have time, and I cannot recommend enough We Are the World Cup. You'll learn about the highs, the lows, the agony, the more through Rogers eyes. Right, I mean I wrote the book.
Speaker 8: If you have had the memories of the World Cup, it will reignite them. I hope you can relive them again as powerfully as you did the first time. And if you're a newcomer planning to watch the World Cup, it will give you the depths, the nuances to understand them fail all the things that Edward de Galiono, the Uruguayan poet, it once. Very football is a pleasure that hurts, and we're about to experience all of it.
Speaker 2: Weeks and weeks of it, and I literally cannot wait. I love the World Cup. This is gonna be so much fun. And so before we ruin this conversation with a little bit of politics at the end, let's just talk soccer. So starting with Team USA. I know they are hardly favorites to win the tournament, but you know interest has gone up, expectations go up every year for Team USA. Who should we be watching and what's a good result do you think for Team USA this year?
Speaker 3: Winning it?
Speaker 8: Tommy, I know a sound too many of your new listeners that I'm from England, but I love America so profoundly in like a way I like to believe slips me somewhere between Bruce Springsteen and Kenny Powers. So adore this team I first came over here in nineteen ninety four, ahead of the last time the Men's World Cup was here. It was meant to turn America immediately into a football loving nation. It's taken a lot longer, but the United States and the economists was just found to have soccer be the third most popular sport in the world, which is mind blowing amazing because I write in my book. But before the ninety four World Cup Tommy, a similar study found out soccer was sixty seventh most favorite sport and tractor pulling, I crap you not was sixty six. Where are you now tractor pulling? So to some degree, the winner of the World Cup from a US perspective will be the massive fan base that it leaves behind. We've always joked on our show soccer is America's sport of the future, as it has been since nineteen seventy two, like it's perpetually the next big thing. I think this World Cup will will cement it normalize football in our sporting reality. But from an actual competitive POV, this is the most talented group of individuals we've ever had. But the crazy thing is, you know, our women kick ass teake names, win things on men in the whole history of our nation, going right back to George Washington, who I like to believe what I loved the football. We've won one knockout game in World Cup history, which is shocking for a nation like ours that invented animal style burgers in and out and you know the Kroner put, you know, human beings on the moon, democracy, all those things. So I'd say if we can win two knockout games, which we stand a good chance of in this very bloated, big goalt, massive World Cup, it would be an incredible result in that this World Cup is going to be big, whether the US do well or not. But the US boys will write their narrative into it, which is critical.
Speaker 2: As Christian Polus the one where we're watching most or what other names do we be looking at?
Speaker 8: Christian poliitic Is. If you're a football fan, you'll know he's jokingly called the Lebron James of soccer. He's from Hershey, Pennsylvania. He was the prince that was promised. He broke through into this team when he was seventeen. He is probably the most talented outfield player we've ever had in terms of his accomplishments in European football. He's a very sensitive human being. He needs to love and be loved. I just went on first hate with Stephen A. Smith and compared him to Trey Young as a player that can do unbelievable things if he feels great. Stephen A. Smith slapped me down, went mad. That's a terrible comparison, he said, and then went off on Trey Young for a long long period of time. But I'll stand by it. And then there's so many remarkable human beings. I really do root for this team as individuals. As a beautiful man. Chris richards Son of Alabama Boomingham, Alabama sec country role tide who must have been a big fish on every playing field he was in in Alabama and then went over as a teen to one of the greatest teams in the world by Munich, suddenly became a tiny fish in an enormous trout form, kind of lost all of his confidence, got complete cultural this location, but has been able tenaciously to re summon his presence as a defender, kind of like a lockdown cornerback. Now in the Premier League. He's won things. Still a sweet, soft, soulful wonderful human being. I mean, there's many many players like him that I root for. The one touch, one goal, one moment, the commercial upside for this World Cup, to become the face of this team, to have a TikTok that goes viral because of something beautiful that you do. It's a diverse team. I think they were a great face of our nation. They're led by a manager and Argentinian Maricho Pocchettino, who's like a globally revered manager. He's either going to lift us up, like you know, a basketball coach going to Iona state and taking them what's that guy? Yeah, yeah, you'll have a Patino take us up to his standard. We'll build belicheck it and just suddenly be you know, chasing after floundering on the floor at North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Or something like that. Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 8: You can't wait to leave him many ways, but we will go as he goes. If he you know, if he does his thing and raises us up, joy can be ours. We could be just lollopping around on the floor chasing after a cheeseburger in Hasselhoffee and fashion. It could be, It could be great. It could be darkness.
Speaker 2: We do not know.
Speaker 8: We only have until, you know, three days to find out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'll hope ahead of us. All right, let's talk about the big dogs, some of the best teams, some of the best players that you're watching. I've heard France, Spain, UK mentioned a lot like any sleepers the UK. Well, that would be amazing, Tommy.
Speaker 8: Can you imagine if it was cities, Oh the world cover cities that's actually for the future, then they can get far more than forty eighteens in. It would be amazing. Come on, Sarajevo, England, Scotland, they are also in it.
Speaker 2: God blessed.
Speaker 8: They're coming over here with a very different goal than everybody else. Their goal is to just drink Boston and Miami dry in the first two weeks of the tournament, and I think they'll probably do it. The Tartan Army, I think America. One of the joys of this tournament. Who we get to talk about is the world coming to terms with the United States. You seeing it now all over social media, German fans going to waffle House for the first time, having their mind blow and you know, going to eat lemon pepper wet. What is this and also American sports fan seeing global football culture, many of them for the first time seeing sixty seventeen year seeing thousands of Dutch sands march down the streets of Kansas City before a game in their orange clad shirt, bouncing to the left and the right behind a large bus. No one quite knows why, it's just what they do. It's gonna be quite ecstatic. So Scotland, England, I mean England are fascinating. I mean they used to have an empire, then they lost that. They used to have a monarchy not doing so well nowadays, they had down to Avy no longer on the air. So what they have is football and they invented it. So they think they should win. They've won once nineteen sixty six, which is like ten sixty six in the English school kids imagination, and since then they've always believed with great surety they're gonna win very quickly, crapping the bed, shattering a nation's heart. They're like Charlie Brown running at a football with Lucy holding. Apart from this time round, they're pretty bloody good, Tommy. So it is quite fascinating to think of an England winning the World Cup in America when it's the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of independence. Is is mind melding.
Speaker 2: So we think we're going to say bye to some great players this this tournament. Lionel Messi it's probably we assume it's his last tournament, although people said that in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two Christiano Ronaldo will say goodbye to him by to all of his abs.
Speaker 8: Maybe maybe, although he's like mostly I think he's the football player most likely to go like Ted Williams and putting his head in the crygantic chambers.
Speaker 2: Just freeze it up those abs same later, Yeah, is there a next up? Like, so those two they're not just the biggest stars in soccer, they are some of the biggest celebrities on the planet, the most famous people on the planet. Is there anyone you're watching that can fill their shoes? Any stars that are going to transcend this tournament?
Speaker 8: We hope the stars young stars, and there is that there's this aged I mean deeply aged. We're talking about like footballing lebron age, I mean Ronaldo is I mean, it's it's like forty one Linnel Messi late thirties. This is or should be their last dance. And then there's a slew of teens coming through nature of bards, a vacuum. So this football a Spanish wonder child eighteen years old, Lamina Marl who's already won massive tournaments. You know, he's almost if he wins the World Cup with Spain having won, when he's won already, he'll be like Alexander the Great, you know, tearing up because there is no more world left to conquer. So the early in Harlan, a young Norwegian who is other than Shaquille O'Neal, entering the NBA and just breaking backboards, shattering them, you know, gaming game out. I've never seen anyone score goals. It's like as if Dolph Lundram was a football player for Ai created just a some kind of Norse Demi God, he's bringing Norway over. So there is that bat and again because it's here, Tommy in the United States, this commercial hotbed of sports, all of these footballers and a spring to a slew of the great footballers in the world. They're all looking at the United States market knowing one deep run, one you know, set of ecstatic moments, the financial payoff for this World Cup commercially to kind of be what Pela was to previous generation, the face of the game. In the United States, there's the sporting competition, but there's also the commercial competition to be that footballer. They all think they can, you know, be the next play. They don't quite know that David Beckham's already won the World Cup. That man is in almost every single commercial and there's not giving up his hold on our imagination anytime soon. But they're also incredible stories that will fill the World Cup up. Like Haiti, this tiny team for whom, you know, just qualifying is everything. The political chaos it's unspooled over there, which has impacted football. The football stadium, their trading center was set fire to by insurgent gangs importer prints. The fact that they've even qualified is remarkable. They had to play all their games on neighboring Curisow. Their football is a broad from all over in the Haitian diaspora. Just taking the field for them is going to be just a joyous geopolitical moment where the word Haiti is seen in a joyous spotlight, a wonderful spotlight so desperately needed, and it could be one of the most powerful storylines in the opening round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exciting to watch. So you know you got you touched on this rager. Like, the scale of this tournament is just like unlike anything we've seen before. It's happening in three different countries. I think there's sixteen host cities. There's forty eight teams. I think at some point in the tournament there's going to be six games a day. How the hell are you going to pace yourself here? Buddy? What are you going to do to get through this? Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean I feel like I was laughing with you. I already feel like I'm halfway through, but it's not kicked off yet. It is epic in scope. Three nations hosting for the first time Canada, the United States, Mexico. When it was given twenty eighteen, it was talked about as a unified almost the NAFTA World Cup. Obviously the realities have changed. It feels almost like three parallel track World Cups. But what drives me in any World Cup is the narrative, is the story is the human wonder. The scale of it is epic. I think it's projected to revenue wise reported eighty billion dollars will be made, which apparently is the GDP of Belarus. But I'm sure you knew that, Tommy, That's probably the first thing that went.
Speaker 2: Into your head.
Speaker 8: You know, it's really a human x to say, two hundred million people watch the Super Bowl, we think of that as the ultimate. In the United States, five billion people watch the World Cup. What is the World Cup? And this is what I wrote in my book. It's like a global eclipse that emanates from the game, sweeps the entire world instantaneously and holds it in its thrall for thirty nine straight days. And so that's the magic of it, the energizing magic. What keeps me going is a sense that when these games go on, we're watching human beings live out under the Crucibler pressure. You know, human decision making, what separates good players from the truly greatest decisions they make under those pressures. There's going to be heroes whose names we don't even know, who are going to reveal themselves and within seconds of some kind of kung fu fighting s goal, their name is going to be blared out by millions of children in school yards across the globe. You know, there's going to be heroes who will fall in tragy comic ways. We're going to watch the greatest telenovela. And the thing I'm most excited about, Tommy is, I don't know if you've noticed, it's a very dark world. We're living in a time of challenge. I hope, I hope when this kicks off, you know, when Lionel Messi takes the field, all of the darkness kind of is smothered. It's almost like the rational is replaced by the emotional, and it's that sense of global unity. Obviously an illusion, obviously fleeting, but knowing that you're making memories, profound memories. It's like the theory of my book. Most of I'd say eighty seven percent of my most important memories are located in world cups, the cross generational memories with my dad, my mom, my grandpa, my children. It's the same for millions around the world. That conscious act of memory making that you're sharing with the planet is really what drives me onwards.
Speaker 2: I think we've all earned that release, that reprieve from reality, and that moment has come tog other and enjoy it. Just to ruin this whole thing with politics though, I mean President Trump understands the scale of the stage, right, He's got this preternatural understanding for the role that sports plays and culture. As we talk today, I think he's preparing to fly up to New York for the next game. Do we know, like, does he deliver remarks at any of these events? Is he going to attend games?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: What do we know about his participation?
Speaker 8: Not a lot yet? But football is he mean I talked about the number of people watching. It is the last global megaphone that is audible across the entire planet. There's nothing like it. There's nothing like a World Cup. Even Salt Bay inserted himself into the final seasons at that massive it is. Yeah, go bless. I mean, he's still got me talking about it four years later. And so ultimately, politicians of all stripes are drown to football. And happened since the very beginning. Nineteen thirty four. Second World Cup was held in Italy by Mussolini, who who wanted to present Italy to the world, subsidize foreign travel to Italy for the tournament. The detail of most about this story is that he made sure the tickets were intricate paper cuts so that fans would go home afterwards, I crap, you're not Tommy, and be like, these are the tickets in Italy, look on the advanced country. It is so from the very beginning, the roots of the tournament have always had a geopolitical reality. When two teams take the field, the nation's history, the nation's politics, the nations culture takes a field alongside, and that's what gives it. It's epic power. Everything matters.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 8: You know, I love American sports. When my Chicago Bears play, you know, the La Rams, it's a big game, it's exciting, I know the narrative. But when Germany plays England, the levels of history, you know. I think was Emerson who said it contains multitudes. The World Cup contains multitudes, and every politician knows that, you know. And President Trump has embraced football. There was a tournament here last almost a dry runt called the Club World Cup. He presented the trophy right at the end the route that the ritual of trophy presenting in football is that whoever gives it, and it's often a head of state will hand the truth over to the you know, the sweaty footballers on a podium and then step out of the way so that they can lift it up and smoke comes off and confetti blows up, and then the footballers bounce up and down waving their arms like this, which is the standard football guy dance at Chelsea Football Club.
Speaker 2: Won.
Speaker 8: He hands the trophy over and then stands in the midst of them, and you know, the footballers are confused, they don't quite know what to do. There's a standard way of doing this, and then in the end they just like saw it and they did it with him in the midst of it. It's a remarkable image. You know, the smoke goes off, the confetti blows up, some of them were dancing, some of them are looking at at the present. He knew exactly what he was doing. He knew that was the photo moment that would go around the world and that he'd become front and center. So the World Cup contains that power times a million. Twenty eighteen, Putin ran the World Cup and was very front and center. Twenty twenty two, it was in Katar. First game you and I watched, they had the Katari leader sitting right by the Saudi Arabian Mohammed bin Salman. I believe this is your expertise, not mine, but the two of them had had frosty relations before that. To see them unite was deeply symbol like a symbol. I think one was even wearing a scar for the other country. So there's a story on the field. There's always the story of it. And the optics, the soft power, the odd power is written all over this tournament every time it occurs.
Speaker 2: You know, President Trump is both head of state and also famously won the FIFA Peace Prize, So maybe he could invite the new Iranian Supreme Leader to the US to sit next to him at a game and we could have another moment like the one you just described.
Speaker 8: I'm just catching ideas, Yeah, I mean, well, we're pitching ideas. I think this should be a FIFA music award, like a Grammy for like kid Rock or Vanilla. I. I would say, you will watch this World Cup with a split lens, and who is invited and where they sit is for you and pod save the World is a is going to be? You know, I'd say a sport in itself, but it's not a sport that gives it a sense of a lack of meaning. But that narrative will be enormous in macro ways and in microwaves. We just had Wagner Moora, the Oscar nominated actor Pablo Escovar from northaast I want to shows Football Mad and he talked with an amazing passion about how Brazil, Brazil wears a yellow shirt. It's iconic, you know, it's synonymous with a beautiful style of football that kind of coincides with the advent of color television. And he talked about how when Bolscenario was president, he co opted the Brazilian shirt and that shirt became a symbol of his regime. And Vakta Moore talked about how this World Cup in a post Bolsonario realm is a chance to reclaim it. So the narratives within this thing, if you're a football fan, you know it's the Ronaldo, the Messy, the Portugal of France, the Spain. But if you're a pod Save the World fan, you know the World Cup is is all of that and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's always sort of like issues and anxieties going into these World Cups. Sometimes it's political, sometimes it's you know, security or logistics. This year people were talking about potential ice presence of games there are questions about travel restrictions or visas. More recently, you know, there's a lot of discussion about ticket prices. Has any of that deterred attendance as far as you can tell? Is the world still coming to the US for these games in Mexico and Canada.
Speaker 8: You know, the narrative of any World Cup is decided afterwards, and this one in the run up has been about safety fears. But not just in the United States. In Mexican, the you know, the drug cartel violence, the global tensions, the travel restrictions. Look, one of the reasons I love football is that, more than any other sport, it holds up a mirror to the world that surrounds it. I've always loved that. It's always one of my definitive moments in life, not just in football. Is nineteen eighty six England played old Argentina. Diego Maradona. His Argentina, one of the greatest to ever play the game, just a pick, just a street urchin turned you know, kid of gold. They called him Pbade, the Oro in the shadow of the Falklands walk and England they were our heroes and Argentina destroyed them one goal, tiny asl Diego punched it in in the era before before video referees. He punched it in over a six foot two goalkeeper used his hand and immediately when asked did you did you punch that in? He came up brilliantly with his own marketing. He said it was a little bit the head of Diego and a little bit the hand of God. And then when we were reeling in agony as an English nation, he picked the ball up deep in his own half and then just ran through the entire team single handedly, every hero. He eviscerated all of them and then just rolled the ball home, which kind of echoed the first goal. I did that cheated because I could, but I also could have destroyed you single handedly if I wanted to, and I just did. That goal was an agony and as an English human being, it kind of put us all in our place, showed us where we were in the in the global food chain. But now it's actually the post that that a photograph I have in my office on my wall, signed by him. It makes you feel things, it makes you feel alive. That agony is like one of my proudest agonies. It's an honor to have that agony. So everything is always geopolitical. The run up to any World Cup in the modern period is always a human darkness. The South African World Cup twenty ten, the whole reporting going in was how everybody was going to be, you know, carjacked.
Speaker 2: There was an.
Speaker 8: Epidemic, just the violence was going to destroy the thing. The electricity belt was not enough to power the state. It was a disaster. Why is Africa hosting this? It turned out to be one of the most significant World Cups of my lifetime. Melson Mandela Africa presenting it to the world in majestic fashion. Same with Brazil twenty fourteen. The violence rioting social unrest in twenty thirteen, you know, the people rose up around games, marched on the stadia. Every stadium I was in, there were riots, demonstrations for social justice, for education, not football. It's meant to be a disaster. And then once a ball is kicked, Tommy, cognitive dissonance kicks in. I'm not sure this is a good thing or a bad thing, to be honest, but it's what happens once the Lionel Messi takes the field. You know, all the storyline just falls away and we kind of become mesmerized by that global eclipse thing. So it is a lot of global tension. It is a mirror to the world. The world is understandably challenging. But again, once that opening whistle goes the past World Cups, everyone has gone from fear and darkness and catastrophizing to a sense of albeit fleeting, sense of wonder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I cannot wait for it to start. But again, the book is we are the World Cup. So pick up a copy now and then, Roger, if listeners want to just hear more from you throughout the World Cup, where should.
Speaker 8: They look, Tommy, We're headed to you tomorrow. We're going to LA. We have a bus in the style of John Madden, a big orange bus. We're driving it across country. Can't tell if this is the greatest idea we've ever had, all the worst. We'll find out. Starting in LA, we're going up to Seattle, coming back to LA We're doing and then going across the country through Texas to Atlanta. We're going to be doing college game days before the biggest game, starting with the United States. We're going to be on Santa Monica Pia on that first US game on the twelfth with Rob Mack. And then we're going up to Seattle, where we've got John Green, the great the greatest novelist. I think everyone would agree Old Skittles, you man, the greatest Seahawk of all time. It's going to be joining us and more and then back to La and then we're going across. And I will say as we go across, this is a wild time, Tommy, in many sports fans in America will be turned onto football for the first time. America loves the circus, they love an excuse, the daytime drink, they love, you know, mass desire to cut work, which is approved for thirty nine days. But I will say seeing these fans and there will be thousands of fans coming in. There have been travel bands, you know, there are some teams who have no fans able to get visas because of the modern reality. They've been caught up in in that issue, so like Haiti, Iran, Senegal, Ivory Coast. But there are thousands and thousands of fans coming and this moment for thirty nine days for the world to shine a spotlight on not just La San Francisco, Seattle, but cities at Houston, which are you know about to be beloved. When the wolf finds lemon pepper wet in Atlanta, When there's twenty thousand Argentinians running around Kansas City tasting Arthur Bryant's slaps and going, oh my god, we've been doing barbecue all wrong all this time. That to me is I hope how America can be a winner for thirty nine days, showing a face of ourselves which is meaningful and warm and welcoming. I'm filled with a kind of joy. I want saw from Liverpool.
Speaker 2: It's going to be beautiful. I can't wait for much of Europeans to try dunkin Donuts from make Up for Boston for the first time. Roger, great to see you, great to talk with you. Good luck with this tournament, buddy. I'm excited to watch through your eyes.
Speaker 8: I'll see you in La Beautiful. So I'm really really excited to be of courage.
Speaker 3: That's our show for today. Thanks to Roger Bennett for coming on. Alex and I will be back with a new show on Friday. Bye everyone. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna, Roberts and Ferris Safari with re Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlottelandis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East