Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. It's me Cecily here with Stephanie. I eat no, I don't know. Does my voice sound kind of cheerleader? Do I sound kind of sexy?
Speaker 2: Hot? Like yeah, hot?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't want to brag. I don't want to brag. I don't want to, but you should. But I'm going to. I need to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. It's just one of those things.
Speaker 1: I went to Death Cab for Cutie last night, and it's not like I was screaming, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm not like, oh I don't.
Speaker 1: Scream or no songs, but you were talking loudly, you know, at a very loud concert, when you're kind of talking to your friend or like, oh, I'm gonna go to the bathroom whatever. You talk loudly for a long time, you kind of lose your at this age, and I kind of did a little bit. And let me just tell you, if they are coming to your city and you are in any way a fan, go go to that show.
Speaker 2: It was one of the best. Dude. I don't know why I just called you dude, but I love that's what.
Speaker 1: That's what being around the sort of like white guys in flannel with little beards does to me?
Speaker 2: Bro, Bro, look at me. You want to go Yeah, Bro, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I'm seriously one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, you know, ago, I go to a lot of shows, and I mean this was just like this was like religious, like this was like holy shit.
Speaker 3: Like a spiritual experience.
Speaker 1: Yes, as the only that's the only time I've ever moved to a spiritual experiences through music. But it doesn't always happen. It didn't happen when you and I went to Barny Good Ladies the last time.
Speaker 2: It didn't.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't get I didn't get called. I didn't get the calling. This when I got the calling, I got it, okay.
Speaker 4: And do you know a lot of death cab for Cutie songs? Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And not only that, I prepared myself because they're touring for this new album that they have that just came out, and usually that's kind of rough because you're like waiting for the old songs. And I just sat down and listened to it twice like a crazy I don't really have that much going on, so I just put on my headphones while I was do another stuff, and I listened two full times to the new album, and I think it's so good. So every time they played a new song, I was just so Overjoe. They opened with one of the new songs and I just like lost my mind. I was really into it.
Speaker 2: It's really good. I swear you would love it.
Speaker 4: I believe you. You know, I want to tell you really quick that. So I just got back from a trip back East and when I was on the PO, I downloaded some stuff to watch on TV, like basically, and I couldn't really there wasn't like a lot that I thought of to watch. So I downloaded the documentary about Noah Cohen, Noah Con Noah Con Love Noah Con And I know you went to go see him in concert.
Speaker 2: I did. He's great.
Speaker 1: It was a very different experience because I was for that one, I was like back row, bench seats, and for Death Cab, I was like second row. Oh yeah, so that does make a difference. But Noah was He's pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: So when I saw the documentary and you and I talked about him, and we talked about the fact that you were going to see him, or that you went to see him, and.
Speaker 3: I think I put out there. I was like, yeah, I heard he's kind of a dick, which I'm so wrong. Like I watched the documentary and I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, he is so great. He's really great great. He talks a lot about like mental health stuff. He got famous very quickly, and he's so like you would love this documentary because he talks a lot about how like this for his album, the first album came out, I think it was kind of his first thing came out during the Sticks. Yeah, and anyway, but he that album did like so well, he got like really famous and all this this huge following and then and he had kind of a meltdown about like how am I going to do another thing? Like what what the like, he couldn't write. He just got like very depressed and he felt really pressured and like and he has he has like body dysmorphia, which yeah, is going to lead us into our topic today.
Speaker 3: But he was like really honest about it.
Speaker 4: He's you know, kind of like people don't really talk about this, but you know, you know he feels fat and like right.
Speaker 2: And he's like and people tear him apart.
Speaker 1: And I love his religious story that he's half Jewish half Muslim. I think that's really interesting and cool, and he talks about it. I think that, you know, he's like really like he's so thoughtful, very thoughtful, and his parents. He really talks about sobriety and and his anxiety, and I.
Speaker 2: Mean, yeah, he's pretty I don't think he's sober.
Speaker 1: He might not be sober, but he sings a lot about like he has an entire song about Xanax. He does okay, like he does talk about like his his stuff and maybe maybe drinking too much or not drinking whatever it is. I don't know if he's actually sober, but he does not drink if you're like not drinking enough.
Speaker 4: You know, he talks about how he was just really is trying to drink more alcohol.
Speaker 2: And so one and done, one and done, and everybody hates me.
Speaker 1: By the way, last night though I was not one and done. I had my you know, the Marguerite is at the Greek You might not know this, but they're very tiny. They're just the tiniest little things for so they're so expensive and it's like two golds.
Speaker 2: And my friend that I went with usually we both.
Speaker 1: Have at least two, but he had gone to a concert the night before so he was a little wrecked, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm ready to go. I haven't seen a single human being in a week. Let's go.
Speaker 1: I need to go out. Mama needs to shake it off. I had my one little drink and then I had a second. I really didn't feel it. This was over five hour, four hours early. As you know, he likes that too, and we want to have a little picnic. So by the time I was sort of like in between the opening and the and death cat, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I want a third one, but if you one, so maybe I should.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I didn't, so I didn't because of the company. But had I been with someone else that was having another one, I would have.
Speaker 2: Do I need to look at that? Oh?
Speaker 4: This becomes three drinks over and seeing it At first I was joking.
Speaker 1: Then I'm like, wait a minute, no, that's crazy, not that crazy. Three is a lot for a woman my age, but just as a little lady. I am a little lady and I shouldn't be. But it was one of those things. I was like, they're so small. They don't really.
Speaker 4: Cows small there, you know, because that's how they get you. I know, they just give you a few drops yes, and then they're like, of course you're going to want another one, and of course you're going to feel like an alcoholic, right, But I didn't.
Speaker 1: And anyway, let's get to let's get to our thing. I'm glad that you brought us into it. We are talking about Ariana Grande today, and we should give you a trigger warning that you know, we are going to talk about some serious stuff that part isn't.
Speaker 2: Or we should just give you a heads up that we are. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: We're not going to like tear her apart like we would never We're not putting her down. We are just talking about what people are talking about. Yeah, is that a fair way to say it? I think I think we're of course not putting her down.
Speaker 4: We're just talking about the fact that, like this is a serious subject and it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's crazy to us.
Speaker 4: And then here we are, we're going to do it that people care about other people's like bodies. But at the same time, like we should be able to discuss the fact that when somebody seems like it's not going great, we also shouldn't have to not talk about that because of some.
Speaker 2: Like right body image thing where we're not try. It's a it's a slippery.
Speaker 1: It's a fine line because we don't you don't want to comment on people's bodies because and we try to steer clear of that, no matter who it is we're talking about, even if we don't like them, you know, we don't do that. But when it becomes like maybe that person's in danger and or and in this case, is how I feel. When this person is a role model to so many young girls, it is dangerous. Yes, if they're dysmorphia or whatever it is, we're calling it DYSMORPHI I don't know what it is. She may not have dysmorphia, but whatever's going on there, I think it's important to talk about it. No, it's none of our business, but then again, it's not her business how we feel about it or what we think.
Speaker 3: You know, I do know.
Speaker 4: I think I know you're saying, let's just let's get into the story and then we can decide like what we want.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean I have I'm not going to step back from what I want to say because I was thinking back to when let's say I was twelve. I happened to be in the eighties at that time, right like mid eighties.
Speaker 3: It just happened.
Speaker 2: So it's just the way I think shook out.
Speaker 1: I stumbled in, and I think I got really lucky even though I had my own even sorts were both going to talk about ours.
Speaker 2: But like, I got.
Speaker 1: Lucky because the role models were back in the eighties, the supermodels were like larger than they are now then, or than they were in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Remember it was like you. I mean, of course they were perfect and beautiful, but.
Speaker 1: They were more like size eights and tens than they were like zeros.
Speaker 3: Oh, Seattle.
Speaker 4: Maybe just because I was a little before you a few years.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: When I was in high school, being pretty stick skinny was the look, and I would have not that I had a bud in boombs in high school. I graduated in eighty four, so I would say, like eighty to eighty four. Yeah, the eighties was when I was in middle school, also already worried about my body and already dieting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I think that that's but like in the seventies, let's say, if you when you're in junior high a little earlier, like that's your twiggies and that you know, you still had I think a really thin thing. And I think something shifted at some point, and I think it does. I mean, and then it shifted back in the nineties with you know, heroin Chic, right, and this is and now we're at a place, so we'll tell you what's going on.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we sure, for sure, you know.
Speaker 1: But Ariana Grande, this is from People magazine is taking a step back from visibility after tour as public scrutiny intensifies. So that is this article on People. And so she is on a tour right now that she's finishing. I thought she was finishing. Then she was supposed to go to London and do a Sondheim musical, which people are really excited about, and she said no, And I think she should have said no anyway, whether this other like weight scrutiny was going on either. I think she's just absolutely exhausted. You can't, no human being can go at the rate that she's going.
Speaker 4: But let me let me say this even before we get into more of the story, Like, I am shocked that this is just now getting talked about because when she was doing Wicked, when Wicked was out, she was doing promotional stuff. I remember thinking like, oh my god, she's so sickly looking. She's so skinny. I mean she looked like a skeleton.
Speaker 2: Then, and now it's like, are people just now waking up to that.
Speaker 1: No, people were the Wicked people, the people that were like obsessed with the movie got so weirdly protective as they continue to be like you can't. It's like the thing we talked about with like Lady Gaga or certain fans like you just couldn't, Like you come for Wicked, You're coming for every theater kid, They're gonna they'll destroy you.
Speaker 4: But that's what I don't understand is like how it how it is coming for somebody when you're like, oh my god, she doesn't look well, she like you look her wrists are so teeny tiny, her arms were so small, her shoulders.
Speaker 2: Like in all the bones.
Speaker 3: It was so scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it's no, it's way.
Speaker 1: I think now the reason it's coming to light finally is because I maybe the Wicked you don't have the pr teams protecting.
Speaker 2: Her in the same way that we had on Wicked, and she got smaller. So now people you just can't.
Speaker 1: So okay, So she had her eternal sunshine tour that wraps in London September. First, you know that she's only thirty three years old. My goodness, I didn't know she was. Wow, she's lived, she's has a lot of loves. Well, she's been around for so long. She's like, you know, she was just a child star. She came from that old and so she's stepping away a miskip all that. So, a spokesperson for her tells people she will be taking a step back from visibility after she completes the tour. She's looking forward to finishing the tour and ending it on a high note, both healthily and happily, and then taking a much deserved break from public facing work and appearances, which has led to endless ongoing public scrutiny. There has been a beautiful experience for her. She loves her fans and has loved every minute. Okay, that's fine. So somebody I'd said something to somebody and they were like, yeah, her show is so physical, like she's always she's doing like pink moves, Like it's very athletic her show, running around and stuff. It's like, okay, well, how is that an excuse? I mean, okay, well he will no longer be.
Speaker 4: Pink is not stick skinny, So I don't know how that's like, how that has anything to do with anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not even like she's working as hard as Pink.
Speaker 4: Okay, well Pink looks totally normal, so uh, you know, right, so she was already looking like that.
Speaker 3: When she did when she did Wicked. So I just don't you know, And why are we making excuses? Why?
Speaker 4: Like this is what's so annoying? Is like, let's why can't she just say yes, I'm struggling.
Speaker 1: Well, this is what's happening. So she Okay, So she has a music video that came out. This is when people really started talking called for her latest single called Pedal, right, and this is where people are like, oh my god, and I felt.
Speaker 2: The same way. I can't tell anymore. What's ai though, and what's real? Are you having this issue with her too?
Speaker 1: Because like people will post a very disturbing photo that it's like, well, there's no freaking way that's real. There's no way that that many bones or so I think some people are aieing it a little to make it even worse. To be fair, I do think there's an issue here, but I'm just saying I can't tell what photos are real and what's not, you know, because the PR people are sending People Magazine photos where she looks then, but it's not like as you know whatever. So she has hit back at commentary surrounding her body on various occasions, and one of them is this is a while back. In her song Yes and for twenty twenty four album, which is what she's I guess on two or four Eternal Sunshine, she sings at one point, my face is sitting.
Speaker 2: I don't need no disguise. I don't have to talk like that either, though.
Speaker 1: Don't comment on my body, Do not reply. Your business is yours and mine is mine. So she's well aware for quite some time. And then as for her new album, Pedal, the Insider says, this album is a fight song and anthem about the love hate relationtionship with the public and their toxicity. This album is not about a romantic partner or a breakup in any way.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean it goes on and on, but we are we know the gist of it. And then the story that they have in People Magazine. There's a photo and I mean, my god, it's it's disturbing to say the least in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Right, and there's been some commentary around the fact that like we haven't come that far since Karen Carpenter died of anorexia at also a young age, and you know, like people are starting to go like, hey, we're we should be allowed to talk about this and discuss it.
Speaker 2: So that's that's right, I mean.
Speaker 1: And then Kelly, the same thing happened with Kelly Osbourne where I think that was really sad. I think I think that was a situation where she seemed like she had gone on something to lose. I didn't like it yet and it wasn't you know, it was too much whatever happened there and then and she kept saying, no, it's the grief of losing my dad, which we all understand, like nobody was. I think that's what people don't understand, Like nobody's mocking your grief.
Speaker 4: And that's just not true that that's what it was. Like, that's just not true because her mom they both went on it, and she has struggled with like her weight or whatever, you know, she feels.
Speaker 3: Like she has. So that's just see that that's fucked up. But I'm gonna just.
Speaker 2: Say that I think it's fucked.
Speaker 3: Up to go.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm not too exactly. It's like, no, I feel great. I feel really great about how I look.
Speaker 3: And you know what's her name? The mom, you know what's her Saren?
Speaker 4: Sharon Osborne was like also going like, oh my god, yes, so so you know, I do think I got like a little bit too skinny, but like I feel like fantastic, and yeah I went on this and and I'm just naturally like that's just that's it. She tried to make it seem like it was just really natural.
Speaker 2: That she just happened Triana. It kind of is.
Speaker 1: Although, so I looked back at her younger years and she had more you know, we were all had little like babyfaces, right, so she had more body weight on her when she was like sixteen to twenty five, you know whatever, like we all did. I look back, I'm so surprised at my twenty five year old self, Like it just your body does.
Speaker 2: Change a little bit.
Speaker 1: But to be fair, Arianna and Kelly are different because she's really tiny anyway, Like she's a very small boned Ariana Grande. So there's a fine line. But what people are talking about in the reddit is what I find more interesting. They're talking specifically about this music video, which is what's gotten people finally talking okay, And some people are saying that that she's playing up her for lack of a better word, I'm gonna call it anarexia, but I am not. I'm not doctor Phil. What if I'm not a middle doctor? I mean I am. I have a sexy mustache. I'm not doctor Phil.
Speaker 4: I don't have the ability to, like, you know, do surgery.
Speaker 1: Sir, do surgery, heart surgery, rain otherwise, but I mean, okay, for her eating disorder.
Speaker 2: Some people are saying she's playing it up.
Speaker 1: So somebody wrote the worst part of the video is when she tries to act all cute and sexy and she's so skeletal, but it comes off extremely off putting and bizarre. The whole video is quite something, to be fair, I haven't even I can't watch it. I've only seen stills.
Speaker 4: You can't watch it, like you can't stop it watch it, or you don't have access to it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can watch it. I have Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: I just I just don't want to seah, And let me ask you this though, Okay, here's an interesting question. We have so much to get into. It does not bother me at all. I do not feel like when I see let's say Lizo, like back in the day when Lizo is like playing the flute and shore shorts, I'm like, hell.
Speaker 2: Girl, get it. I really didn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like, it wasn't something where I had to look away. Now do I think that maybe you can get to a point where people should your doctors or people close to you should be like you are one hundred and fifty pounds of ever, wait, you're gonna you know, you're gonna have these issues, and you should start to look at them.
Speaker 2: I think that's between you and your doctor.
Speaker 1: But for some reason, when I look at that, I'm like, hey, you look hot.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you know what I'm saying? It's weird.
Speaker 1: But when I look at someone who's like where their bones are sticking out of their back, I really can't look at it. And I don't say that like to put them down. I don't know why. One thing for me is like in my mind like I don't mind look, do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: I do know what you're saying. I think part like part of it is that I think we both would have a reaction, and I think many people do because I don't know. I just think that sometimes when people are overweight, some people would make like judgments about that, right, That's that's what the skinny culture is. So I think it's like kind of a fighting against that. And then it's painful when you see people that are just so skinny, because it's sad.
Speaker 3: It's sad in a way.
Speaker 4: Seeing somebody like have acceptance about their body and feel good about themselves is a good thing, and I think that's why it's easier to be like, okay, girl, good for you, you know, And when somebody is so so scarily thin, you're like, oh no, maybe like you.
Speaker 1: Don't have to be that, you don't even just it's not that though. It's not just you go girl, go own it. Hell yeah, it's that. But also like I just look at it and I'm like, wow, that looks pretty cool. I mean, you know, it doesn't for lack of better, It just doesn't gross me out, whereas like it really freaks me out when I see like someone who's eighty five pounds.
Speaker 4: You don't think it it on some level figgers something that's like maybe it's like, oh, I know, I know I had at some point would have been like so happy to be so so super skinny.
Speaker 2: And felt pressure to be that.
Speaker 1: I remember after my heart surgery, I got really pretty skinny. I was under a hundred, you know, I was pretty skinny, and people would say, like, you need to can't. Everyone would say those kind of things to me, and I totally loved it, totally loved it. I'm right, that's the nicest thing you can say, Oh I look sick, thank you like you love it. And yes, I definitely had once suffered from anorexia. I mean, I think I'll always have disordered thinking when it comes to wait a little bit right, And I know that you've you've.
Speaker 2: Had that too, But so it's and we should talk about that.
Speaker 1: But so people are saying, I mean, there's so many This just went up on Reddit and so many people are talking about it right now, just at this moment. And someone said, I don't want to be that guy, but I guess you could say I get a little quote unquote triggered about this sort of thing when I see it. Anyway, I'm hesitant to look up the video. What happens in the video. So someone I did not write that. Someone said the same thing. Okay, oh there's so many So someone wrote and people are still saying that's her natural figure. She said that, she said this is the healthiest she's ever been, so it must be true.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what's so crazy though, That's what's that's what bothers me. That's where I feel like we have to talk about that because when people are like like Kelly Osborne and like her mom going like, oh just happened to like, yes, I went on some weight loss drugs and I just went a little bit too far and I don't want to be like too skinny. And it's like Sharon Osborne also looked like she weighed under one hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: I have I have read.
Speaker 4: I remember hearing understanding that one of the things you don't say to somebody who's anorexic or has like you know, has an eating disorder like that is skinny.
Speaker 2: You don't say that.
Speaker 4: You don't say you look too skinny, because that's like they love it. No, yeah, yeah, like you said, like you're not going to help somebody by going I'm sorry, I'm scared for you.
Speaker 3: You look too skinny.
Speaker 1: They're going to go like, yes, you know, one person said exactly what you're saying here.
Speaker 2: This is on Reddit.
Speaker 1: Her her fans keep saying that we're bullying her, But I actually think people have been too nice about it, which is what you said, sort of. It's been going on for years now, but no one dared say a thing because it was labeled as body shaming. Yes, she only started speaking of it when she literally is nothing but skin and bones, which some says she's playing up for the video, which is I guess my point to say is do we even know she's that that skinny? Like as she's making a look in the video? Is she doing that to get people to talk? No, can't be that guy saw her? I think so that's crazy. No.
Speaker 4: I think she's been getting skinnier and skinnier, and now it's hit like you know, critical mass, and people are concerned where they're genuinely worried because people do love her. She's so talented, you know. I also think, ugh, this has nothing to do with her body, But I just think that there's something with her and the relationships that is this seeking of major validation, you know, which gets into stuff about like, you know, having an eating disorder and wanting to have like control over it's all. It all feels a little in a related you know, like I mean, you know, she totally ull someone's husband basically, and then that was probably a pressure, a pressure of like, oh my god, now this relationship has to work out.
Speaker 3: I mean her, Yes, her public.
Speaker 4: Persona has been under a lot of scrutiny. Yeah, I mean for sure. But I read somewhere and this is I don't get.
Speaker 2: This at all.
Speaker 1: And I know people hate that we bring it up all the time, but we're both fascinated with the disorder. But someone said she reads as having maybe borderline for her like big decisions.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't get that from her, you know. I mean, I don't know what I would get, but I don't. I don't really see. Yeah, she might be impulsive, but I mean she's a you know, celebrity. She dates a bunch of people. Some of them are Pete Davidson, you know, I mean a lot of like I don't read I don't see that.
Speaker 2: But I saw that also on a Reddit thread, and I.
Speaker 1: Just want to read you one more thing on this pot You had another thing to talk about the other person said, this is really trigger on this one, but they said, she looks to be the same size as my mom when she died of anarexia at seventy one pounds. Not an easy recovery on the body, which is something else to talk about, because you know she doesn't and hopefully that's what she's doing by taking this break, and people are around surrounding her like you would anyone that was in trouble and saying, all right, your organs are going to go into failure at some point, because when you get to a certain point, like it's whatever and you can recover, it's not like a point of no return.
Speaker 2: She can recover.
Speaker 4: Well, I read a story about Karen Carpenter and it said that like even she was trying to get help at the end, but the damage had already been done to her heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, you damage your organs when you It puts a lot of stress on your heart.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And so she died.
Speaker 4: She'd already put back on some weight and she still died. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And that's really scary.
Speaker 4: So the idea, oh my god, we shouldn't say anything, because that's like shaming, is bullshit.
Speaker 3: We should be saying something.
Speaker 1: This person said. It reminds me of this one woman that came across my TikTok algorithm. She's a pilates instructor. She's obviously severely underweight. There's photos she's severely underweight. People in the comments run to her aid to say that she's obviously healthy and fit because she's constantly exercising, which, like, guys, this is what they wrote.
Speaker 2: That is also a form of anorexia.
Speaker 3: Yes, exercise for me.
Speaker 2: I didn't have as you might have met. Well, actually I kind of did.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about our own things now, because if we're talking about them, we should talk about it.
Speaker 2: But when I was in like seventh.
Speaker 1: Grade, I count of calories so hard that I counted toothpaste even though I was spitting it out, it was counted as calories.
Speaker 2: Why I was not.
Speaker 1: I did not allow myself more than four hundred calories I think a day.
Speaker 2: I was under ninety pounds.
Speaker 1: I had a mother that was still forcing me to go to dance class after school, like had to go to dance class. Didn't ever say never got from her like never once like ooh, you know, I'm worried it was like looking good, let's go shopping. Which I'm not even blaming her because she was a dancer. That is how she That was her mindset. She did not know better. It is how she sees the world still. And the only way that I recovered was graduating from high school and moving out.
Speaker 2: That is how I recovered. I also gained weight in high school, like I.
Speaker 1: Went through you know, I went through or I got my boobs and stuff, and then there was just like nothing I could do at a certain point.
Speaker 2: But I always felt bad.
Speaker 1: We had to keep these like journals senior year in high school, and all of my journals were counting calories apples like diet. It was diet coke and apples, I mean, and it wasn't really working, you know what I mean. I was not overweight, but it.
Speaker 2: Was like normal, and I just hated myself.
Speaker 1: And then when I when I left for college, I just like like somehow was set free for the most part.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know so, and I know for you had like a different.
Speaker 4: I had bolamia, but yeah, so, but I also really dieted hard. But you know, I just loved to eat, so it was like binging. And then it became binging and purging because I couldn't not do the binging part. But oh yeah, I was doing like going on dexatrim. I was, you know, trying diet pills. I was doing everything. And I was like never fat, like that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I was never.
Speaker 4: I mean I thought I was. I'm not saying that I had the reverse like I wasn't like super skinny, but you know, I was wearing like a normal size jeans.
Speaker 2: I was not even normal just to just just regular.
Speaker 3: I was a regular person.
Speaker 4: And I also had big boobs and I have a big butt and big hips. So that's just was my body. And so I was trying to force myself into having like a boy's body, like no hips, like no butt, and I was never going to change my body's shape. But I that's all I thought about. All I thought about, and it's so common.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's not you know, especially coming from like creative background, anybody that was like on state. There's something to that too, which kind of comes back to the ariana thing, which is what you're saying, validation from whoever wherever it started.
Speaker 2: Whether it's like from men from boys.
Speaker 1: For me, it was from obviously my mother, not to get all Freudian, but clearly, but it wasn't even.
Speaker 2: Just a validation.
Speaker 1: It was like being told all the time that this is the only way, like right, but now the.
Speaker 4: Time is times have changed, you know, so this is the weird thing. It's like, I think anorexia is well now we have like weight loss drugs, which can really be of help for people, but as I'm gonna tell you in another story, it can also be triggering to people who have dealt with body their you know, body issues. And then like I guess the point I'm trying to make is we're in a time where it is so much more acceptable, like there's a lot more body positivity mm hmm, yes, And so I think it really stands out when people are you know, very very very skinny and being unhealthy, because I think some people feel like, well why are you doing that? Like what you know what I mean, like we're we're we should be past that. And I just think that it's.
Speaker 2: Like it's like it's an addiction, and it becomes like a.
Speaker 4: Exactly a control addiction. So if she's not feeling any control, it's like, well I cannot eat one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Somebody told me once and this is totally random, so do not come at me, but it just was so interesting to me, and it doesn't necessarily even connect to you. But someone told me that if you the women or girls who tended towards anorexia mother issues and the women girls who tended towards bolimia had more of dad issues. I did ask a lot of people and it did kind of pan out a little bit, like I thought that was kind of interesting. I don't know, of course, that's not true for everybody, obviously, that's just like.
Speaker 2: Some that kind of was like, well, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 4: We could set up some sort of like Cosmo quiz, Cosmo like quiz to figure out like what kind of eating disorder, like do you tend to more?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What do you have? What color? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What kind of What color is your heart? That I thought would be funny on BuzzFeed What color is your heart? Hmm?
Speaker 2: I did tell you that. Okay, a little off.
Speaker 1: Base in the and we can wrap this up because we have other stuff to talk about at some point, not on this episode, but.
Speaker 2: In high school. Speaking of high school.
Speaker 1: A young girl, I mean we were like fourteen at the time she claimed that she could clean, she could cleanse our auras. Yeah, let me remind you I did go to a performing arts high school if that in any way helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aura, right now, I have her a dollar, so for a dollar.
Speaker 1: So she gets to me. She's doing everybody and she gets to me and she's like and it was so I was so like, come on, what's wrong with my fucking Aura? And she's like, it's just so dark? Like what what color?
Speaker 4: She like?
Speaker 2: It's just like very very very dark blue.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, all right, well, what's wrong with that? And I looked it up and it's fine. It just means it's just someone who uses their voice a lot. I think I was trying to say I talk a lot. I don't know what it meant honestly to this day. But she cleansed it, so I'm good anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have one other thing but which I may not get to. But but this is just to sort of come back wrap up the Ariana thing. So this article just says it's annoying. It says Ariana Grande's plans for hiatus revealed after decision to step away. So here's her plans for her hiatus, she plans to be to step away and be surrounded by the people closest to her, including boyfriend Ricky Alvarez. Listen, this is the last fucking thing she needs. Is like, you just brote Okay, you ended this guy's marriage, and I'm not saying, well, it is her fault he ended his marriage. I was just going to say he ended his own marriage. So like fuck, that guy left his three year old child to be with Ariana, who he had to have known was going to tire of him after a short time because that's what she does. And now he's with this She's with this new guy who is like so that's that's going to be her focus. It literally says she'll be spending a lot of time with her family, friends, and Ricky between touring, rehearsals, and her other work commitments. She and Ricky haven't been able to spend as much time together as she would have liked over the past few months, so she's looking forward to having more uninterrupted time with Ricky. The insider said, like, this is not healthy.
Speaker 1: I wonder if she feels like maybe she knows, and she's sort of in that it's not your business.
Speaker 2: Let me all work on it.
Speaker 1: I hear you kind of thing, because it is such a tricky thing, like to talk about people's bodies. It's so difficult because, like you said, you can't if you're in that mindset and you're having issues with that, then this is not going to help for her to be like, oh, I'm too skinny, watch this bitch, you know, right right. There's another article on Fierce something called Fierce dog com called behind the Scrutiny of Ariana Grande's body is a history that predates Hollywood. So are they going to try to go that way too? She's considered one of the most talented voices, like Whitney Houston.
Speaker 2: It just names people blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: It says she's the latest victim of a violent pattern we know too well. Once a woman reaches a certain level of success and public attention, her body becomes the target of public comment to the point of losing autonomy over the flesh she in habits.
Speaker 3: Now, I kind of agree with that in a way. You're going to be surprised.
Speaker 4: I do think it is a lot that and it's especially with women, like we do get very concerned with women being too thin, too fat to this to that, Like, you know, there is a lot of scrutiny, but I think when we see pictures of Ariana Grande and you can see her skeleton, it's normal for us to be like, oh shit, she could die.
Speaker 1: But that's crazy. The way this is written is crazy unless I'm missreading it. They put in Karen Carpenter.
Speaker 2: They're right.
Speaker 1: Karen Carpenter died in eighty three from partiac arrest caused by anorexia, thirty two years old, and her illness had been unfolding in public for years, visible in photographs and performances and interviews, while the people watched did not see it for what it was or chose not to. Since then, countless women have been ruthfully, ruthlessly scrutinized by the media. Wait are you Are you daring to write both of those things in one paragraph? Written by Ai? This must be AI. That makes no sense. No, So people are looking at you, guys. We don't want this to happen, right right.
Speaker 4: They're saying, like, let's let's not allow women's desire to be thin so much that they'll, like, they'll end up dying from it, and that we just are too scared to say like, hey, that's terrible.
Speaker 2: A this is insane.
Speaker 1: One of the sub headlines is the racist roots behind the obsession with Thinness. Wait, is this like a pro white Have I stumbled upon some weird what?
Speaker 2: Oh? This is really weird?
Speaker 3: Are you an a cult?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Did I propaganda and I write this? Did I pitch this to Upworthy advance?
Speaker 1: It says now that we've made clear none of the comments towards Grande's body have anything to do with concern.
Speaker 2: Oh, we made that clear.
Speaker 1: None of us are genuinely concerned. We're just trying to bring down a woman. Let's talk about another for us pulling the conversation the obsession with Thinness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know.
Speaker 1: That's what we're talking about. Oh my god, I don't. Yeah, I can't. I can't even Oh wow, okay, I don't don't. I don't know where this is headed. But I reading that and yeah, it's all over. It's on CNN. I mean that's the headline on CNN from twelve hours ago. Ariana's Grande's body is in the news again. It's almost like they're writing it like that too. They're saying, like, h here we go.
Speaker 2: We were alone.
Speaker 3: People they can't leave well enough alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's very bizarre and we should be we should flag that. And maybe obviously not for Ariano Grande, She's not going to listen to this, but for anybody listening, like, it doesn't look good. You don't need to be super skinny, and yes, I get it, Like I had gained some weight, wanted to lose weight. I've been on a gop. I went on one, I lost the weight. But you know what, because of my recovery from having an eating disorder when I was young, I was able to go like, Okay, I don't I'm never going to change my body and who I don't need to do that for anybody. I just wanted to be able to fit into my clothes. I feel fine now, I'm done, end of story. Now a lot of people can't do that, and that's really hard. And you know, eating it's a whole thing, and that's a whole different conversation about mental.
Speaker 2: Health, and we've all been there.
Speaker 1: So probably I would say I would honestly guess that seventy five percent of the women listening to the show right now have experienced what we've been talking about. Either when they were younger or in their heads where yea, you know, I would bet that it might even be higher than that. And like we're not even saying like, oh, there's something wrong with you if you want to diet and lose weight. I'm I mean, it's such a it's such a fine line. It's so hard to talk about without feeling like in any way anybody should feel shame for anything to do with their body.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we don't want another Karen Carpenter. We're looking at this.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to see, and we're just talking about it because I think it's healthy to talk about because it's.
Speaker 2: Happening that and go, yeah, it's happening before.
Speaker 3: Our eyes, right, and we're not going to just sit here and go Before.
Speaker 1: The conversation came up with Demi Moore and I, I mean, I hadn't seen it because I don't really see that many photos of her, but someone showed me a thing and I was like, WHOA, she definitely has some dismort I would say that many surgeries that much. You know, again, it's her life. She's like brilliant, she can do whatever she wants. We're not ever saying otherwise. But it's like hmm hmm. It's it was weird coming off like the substance to start seeing that, right right, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 4: Listen, work needs to be done, and I think what you're hearing is me and Cecily doing it.
Speaker 3: We're doing the work.
Speaker 2: We're doing the work for you.
Speaker 1: You don't have to you want to drop five pounds, drop five pounds, you want to gain five pounds, gain five pounds. That's all we're saying. That's it, and we're going we're gonna be. You're gonna beautiful either way. You can add zero in kind of that and you're still beautiful exactly. All right, Thanks guys, me okay, I love you, Thanks for listening. More to come, This will probably continue. Yeah, okay, bye,