Speaker 1: Going on with that, But happy Monday everyone out there. Here's truly mill on a Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, it's been a while. It feels good to be back. Then I start off with some local stuff. University of Arizona. We have to catch up from last week. That's fine. Senior Colton Smith was named the Big Twelve Player of the Year for the men's tennis team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not a shockra did they Did they play this weekend? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll wait for you to finish.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this year's team is twenty six and four. They got to host their opening regional and here in Tucson. They beat Denver for zero. They beat Harvard for zero onto the Sweet sixteen starting this Saturday at Virginia.
Speaker 3: Virginia. So Virginia, what they're ranking about seven three? I think, so something like that. Okay, So now this is where that always gets tough. This is the Tommy Lloyd Moments sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be interesting. That's good.
Speaker 1: It's good for them regardless. It's a solid team, so they'll be able to compete with anyone. And then you have, of course the Big twelve Player of the Year. That doesn't hurt at all. The women's team was also selected to go into the NCAA Tournament nineteen and eleven. This year, they got bounced in the first game too against Illinois, one to four.
Speaker 2: Still a pretty good season, yep. The softball team.
Speaker 1: Forty three and ten right now, they had their regular season finale at Houston where they swept the Cougars. They played the winner of UCF in Utah in their first game of the Big twelve Softball Tournament Championship.
Speaker 5: Probably expecting UCF there. I know they gave Arizona a little trouble early on in the year, but I mean usually a consistent program at uc UP.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I believe they were coming off one of those invitational or they had a good performance Arizona and UCF came to town Sheldon. What's what so onto baseball thirty three and fourteen this season. They had their series against TCU this past weekend, got the series win, didn't sweep. They lost the Sunday game to thirteen to six. Tomorrow they have a matchup at Grand Canyon where they usually have trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always that one, that team, and that's that one team they played earlier this season they won well, say they've.
Speaker 1: Played them twice at GCU, they lost eleven to five. They came back into twos on one fourteen to four. So I guess you can say they're looking to win the series in the rubber match. Yeah, that's what they call it. Yep, what it is. And then they'll finish off this week with the series against Utah go on Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
Speaker 2: And then is it almost over?
Speaker 1: And then after that they got their their regular season finale at Houston, kind of similar to softball there, they'll they'll probably go a little bit far in the postseason.
Speaker 5: Should you know, be in line to host the regional I know they're lower ranked in terms of the National Bowls, but given that they're probably gonna win the Big twelve and potentially win the Big Twell Tournament, they should be up there. So the only thing that matters what you do in the postseason.
Speaker 3: Though that's sure exactly right, not fair, but it is.
Speaker 2: What it is. The older the older guy likes it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's giving me crap about being older because there's no momentum. But there's momentum in March. There's momentum in the playoffs. That's when you need it.
Speaker 1: More importantly, Arizona Basketball hired a new staff member as an assistant coach, Brandon Chappelle.
Speaker 2: Where's he from?
Speaker 5: M Troy from Tech Well coached the past three seasons at Texas and played at Lamar, where he also coached as well in the state of Texas.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, but his connection to Arizona.
Speaker 5: Is Jack Murphy when it was a grad assistant at NAU when Jack Murphy was the head coach at Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, Hiley, how you thought of Ian House?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? Pretty much?
Speaker 5: Young, talented, top level recruiter helped Texas get a lot of big time recruits in his three seasons with lawn Horns.
Speaker 3: Right, we'll see if that makes a difference with Robinson Gunn a new frush facing inside, the older guy out, and the new guy in. So I guess my past year is going to come out here pretty soon at some point, but stay up by law for the time being.
Speaker 1: Arizona basketball also got a commitment from South Suiting.
Speaker 2: He's big man. Oh here we go. Yeah, my Bill Mawatt con mobble.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure that works, so so tell me about him there.
Speaker 5: Senior athletic big six eleven defensive mind shoot a little bit as well.
Speaker 2: Probably a project player.
Speaker 3: Well let me say this, didn't dear we have a guy like that on maybe not can shoot it. But about the guy who went to you know we oh yeah, well he was seven footer, so missing.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They projects don't stay anymore.
Speaker 5: They don't that they're not bought in. You've Omar was Omar Malo was a project player. He also thought Temmy was his dad.
Speaker 2: I mean they had that relationship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you got to find the right mixture. They also got how do you say his name? City? Yeah, another six to eleven player, more of a defensive minded player, kind of like Christian Colloco. Very good defensively, but very raw offensively. These guys I don't expect them to play a lot this upcoming season, but you never know.
Speaker 2: Come to March, well happened.
Speaker 3: That's the thing, and then you don't ever know if we're going to stick around another year. I mean Stephens was one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Well, he was one of those guys.
Speaker 5: They tried a red shirt and he basically flat out told him I don't want a red shirt. I want to play. And then the injury to Krevas happened. They said, okay, let's play him in a couple of games. They burn his red shirt and all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: That when they burn your red shirt and you don't play that much, do you know whether you're telling you you're not that good, You're not arison of good.
Speaker 2: You're talented, but you're not there yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it'll take a while to get I think that was a good move to good to Josh and see what he does at you and LB. But that's the problem with the transfer portal and all that. You can't you can't get them to you can't coach them up for a long period of time. You can't read shirt players anymore. It's hard to do well. Everybody's thought of this being really good. That's why you're brought me here, right.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying this is the way it was for Steven, But everybody and your mom tells you you're the greatest thing. And then you go to a coach that says, you know what, you need a little season and you need a little developing. We're going to redshirt you. Well, that's the coaches problem. That's not your problem. He doesn't see your vision you need to transfer. And it happens a lot of it happens everywhere, happens everywhere. Everyone tells me and their moms. I'm looking guy, I don't believe it. You shouldn't.
Speaker 3: I'm realistic, So I don't transfer, don't, don't follow the momentum. More exciting news for Arizona basketball. They'll be opening up next season against defending champs to Florida Gators in Vegas. Booking that booking that game. Where is it gonna be played at at Tamo Arena? Uh no, better venue? Get the get your reservations now. I've already liked to know. It's just there. Get your reservations now. Expect to pay twenty dollars for pizza.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and that's the cheap meal. That's the cheap meal.
Speaker 1: This is just another highlight to the non conference where they play Florida.
Speaker 2: Of course, they go to u C.
Speaker 3: L A.
Speaker 1: They play into it Dome. That will to Yukon. They'll play Auburn here at home. They'll go to Alabama and Birmingham and uh Bucknell to be determined.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, but I think Bruce released a couple more west most of them already. But man that you talk about a gauntlet, and we talked about it to open this show. But gotta love it. I mean that that's to me, that's what you have to do. And you see, no question, do it.
Speaker 2: No question.
Speaker 3: Be good early, be good late, and we'll see how good you need to be.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You got to get improved. I think if Brian comes back, they'll beginning they're gonna be fantastic. If he doesn't come back, they're still going to be very good.
Speaker 2: But but how do you feel that spot? Yeah, how do you feel it?
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on you know, these guys, the Pizza and the k all these guys and how maybe they do.
Speaker 2: Maybe they do.
Speaker 5: Well, they'll be good in terms of that. I just mean in terms of if he doesn't come back, you know they're going to look into the portal.
Speaker 2: Sure, what are you able to grab?
Speaker 3: I'm told that he's looking at the portal and he's gonna get somebody good.
Speaker 2: If that happens, I mean, that's I mean, that's that's usually.
Speaker 5: Hey, they thought trade Townsend was looking in the portal getting something good. Kentucky and Arizona really wanted trade Townsend. And Arizona won that and then at the end of the year, you're like, did.
Speaker 2: They really do that?
Speaker 3: No, he's I think this next year will be fine him man do Yeah, well, Tray Tray's gone, right, I thought Dolors was back and Tree's gone. Yeah, okay walks back. I'm sure, yeah, I'm sorry. Yeah, well then Townson won't be ready. I was thinking Towns that, I meaning in my head, thinking of what. Okay.
Speaker 1: Arizona football got a commitment from x Issue offensive lineman and brother of men's basketball sign he called Pete.
Speaker 2: Pete. Yeah, tell me about.
Speaker 5: Him, big tackle as talent was a I think a three start re group coming out of high school. But let's be honest, like colop once at the University of Arizona, copy probably is going to get at the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's good. I mean, if you service boy, he can play kind of maybe.
Speaker 5: You need death on the line, you need you need pieces.
Speaker 1: Continue with Arizona football. They got a return from the Portal and Kean Burnett.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 3: We saw that this morning, right yesterday history, which is great because obviously his dad is a is a good legacy guy. Chester Burnett, you know, took a chance in Kansas and then decided to come back, which is good. He knows the program, knows the people good, right, they needed the tight end.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, you look at the tight end group. Tyler Palell had a terrific Spring showcase and terrific spring in general, but after that it was a little thin. Some guys that you brought in just really didn't look the part. And you're gonna need more than one tight end throughout a college football season. You have the new tight end coach, Josh Miller, so it brings in another former Wildcat, well, former wildcat now wildcat.
Speaker 3: Do you think I've talked to you since the spring showcase, but were you surprised me the number of people who left, the people who left, and do you think there could be more?
Speaker 2: No, Well, the windows closed so they can't enter.
Speaker 3: The bull by the time new season starts. Windows closed, so transfer everyone's coming to come back.
Speaker 5: Everybody's coming back at this point, the ones that entered the portal justin Flow, guys like that. I'm not surprised. Isaiah Johnson, maybe a little bit shocking, but you know, Flow wasn't gonna play at all this season. It was gonna be in a special teams role. Yeah, he's gonna play at U and LV, so good for him, and I think he really liked Tucson you and LV. Yeah, he'll be there, so the only thing I was shocked at. I thought he was happy just being on the team. Isaiah Johnson talented d tackle that just can't stay healthy. You know they brought He's gonna go to North Carolina with Bill Belichick. Size is a premium. I think if he's healthy he will play for them. But his his biggest question is can you stay on the field or or the knicks and bruises throughout the season going to keep you off the field.
Speaker 1: Arizona football also got a commitment from former Jackson State long snapper Avery Learn.
Speaker 2: And that that is something they needed to fill the.
Speaker 3: Rich red guy. Uh long snapper, you said, Jackson Oh yeah, Jackson State. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a position that not a lot of people look at. But when you don't have one, then you notice.
Speaker 3: You said Jackson or jacts Jacksonville State, Jacksonville States. But definitely, I mean when you don't you notice it and just spirit is not good enough?
Speaker 2: Is that a challenge? Are you challenging just I saw?
Speaker 3: I saw him do it. It was not good enough.
Speaker 2: It wasn't qualify. I'm not joking, of course, but we saw.
Speaker 5: Him at the Yeah, we did see him a little wide left, but it got there.
Speaker 2: Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Kentucky Derby took place this weekend Sovereignty one and journalism did not pay off, did not pay.
Speaker 2: No, you got your money back. You got it.
Speaker 3: Was paid five bucks to pen a second. So if you played it right, they did hit the track pack down and then Baffo tours I led for most most a half of it and which not a surprise, and then it faded.
Speaker 5: So he'll if he goes to Bricknance, he has a good chance to say how much do you think the weather played into a huge.
Speaker 3: And huge Uh? It was a nice riot, It was a nice race. Uh, but the two favorites were definitely one two and I think the distance was a little too much for for for journalism. But uh, we'll see Preknance. I think he'll win the Preaknance.
Speaker 1: A little side story to the Kentucky Derby. NBC sports caster Mike Terico uh left that the coverage that he was doing with.
Speaker 2: A nut allergy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that on Channel four this morning talking about it. I've never do you have something anything like that? I have asthma, and so that you know you've got, Yeah, you got.
Speaker 2: That's about it. I have asthma and I have nut allergies. Do you too? Yeah? So you you go your and say you please don't know.
Speaker 5: See it's specific type of nuts for me, Like, how would you know? I learned the hardway on all three of them?
Speaker 2: So will you give me that almond?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, pistachio cashu and macadamia nuts. So three different ones, yeah, three different ones, and I learned it all three ways. In terms of your throat swallows up, you feel tingling, you feel an itchiness, and then all of a sudden, for me, you throw up. I think you get some bendrol and it goes away. But for other people it could be a lot more serious. Yeah, sure, Eppen, And that's what he did, that's what he had.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you were at a kids birthday party. I was at school twice.
Speaker 5: We had a science fair and somebody did like a statue not open opener for their project or something. So I ate a couple on like, oh these days really good, And all of a sudden, why am I so itchy. And then same with the Macadamien in terms of a white chocolate cookie with Macadamian nuts. You know, oh, why am I so itchy? So yeah, and you were like three or four, about seven to ten somewhere in that range.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You main try to speed run through some NBA stuff.
Speaker 1: Last Wednesday, you had the Timberwolves defeating the Lakers, knocking them out of the playoffs. The Knicks were went on to beat the Pistons in their Game six they won forty two. Saturday you had Clippers and Nuggets and in Game seven the Nuggets won. They'll be playing later tonight against the Oklahoma City Thunder. And of course last night you had the Warriors being the Rockets, h winning that series four to three.
Speaker 3: Right, go Warriors to play the Minnesota team, see what happens or not the favorite to win it, but I think they'll do.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You got the Knicks and Celtics playing right now, Nicks on top by one, still very early. It was just started eight seven eighty seven, and then of course the Nuggets Thunder coming coming up later tonight. Cleveland Cavalier head coach Kenny Atkinson has won the NBA Coach of the Year award Good And it was announced last Friday that Spurs head coach Greg Popovich will be stepping down. Well maybe if you want to look at it in a lighter way, He's going to be promoted to I think team president el Hefe. He said this earlier today, and Mitch Johnson will be his predecessor.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go. We gotta go and get ahold of Bruce Pasco.
Speaker 6: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus bots. Just entered this nationwide keyword on our website. Bank bank that's bank enter it now, Fox Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 7: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready enterprise so Fasca YUCKI try.
Speaker 8: The window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. You found out the amount and cholori and boom. It was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kim'llcall at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 9: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and Spring Sports Awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 10: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine to four two Equal Housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix Syncredit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with don't notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 11: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at this chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 2: Check them out.
Speaker 11: At showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 9: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experience, a middle defense attorney called Richard Vicall five two oh seven to four to h twelve thirteen, brout sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 4: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson in southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 12: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the mineral's ap process.
Speaker 2: The spielining is.
Speaker 3: So important gonibm dot com.
Speaker 8: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, From new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 6: Streamy live on the iHeartRadio WIP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to ying the ball here on Fox Sports forteen fifty. I'm SCU Rivera and with me today's Troy Houses and from Go Easycats. Well, I'm working on the board now. We have uh, mister Bruce Pascal from the Arizona Daily Star. Bruce, how are you good?
Speaker 13: How are you guys doing?
Speaker 2: How's vacation?
Speaker 13: What?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Uh July?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I know, wait too early. I remember those days. So it's like news every other day. Right last week you come up with the schedule. Today, you've got a new assistant coach.
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I think it's been three days off since New Year's Day or something. Still, but but no, anyway, I mean I think they're getting close. They've got you know, they filled their staff opening with Brandon Chappelle, who worked with Jack Murphy for a couple of years early in his career at NAU. And you know, they've got I think the core of their you know, they've basically got enough to go with, you know, a rotation at this point, whether or not Carter Bryant comes back or not and be a you know, top twenty five team, maybe a lot better than that, you know, at this point, and so they're in pretty good shape. Maybe just gonn add a couple of pieces here or there, and then I think if Bryant leaves, maybe they they see if somebody else comes back from the NBA draft pool that might be willing to come here. But you know, I'm not even sure about that.
Speaker 3: So I would assume that Tommy's got his eye on somebody just in case Brian doesn't come back specifically, and we'll see, you know, maybe give me if he's a fifty to fifty that he has a chance, because I'm sure he's gonna get paid pretty well here, you know what.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, it's really it's crazy, Steve. I mean, you know, you know how it used to be like if you were late first or certainly if you were second round or mid second round or maybe on that bubble even getting drafts, then you might want to think about coming back. But the guys were going anyway because they just wanted to get going. And you know, and you could make you know, a few hundred thousand at the two way if you could get a two way contract. Now a two way contract does nothing, and it's five hundred six hundred thousand. Colleges are paying way more than that if you're a top you know, a top player, you know, a rotation player for a top twenty five teams. So it's really changed the equations. But that now, I think the borderline for guys to come or go seems to be around the middle of the first round, because if you can come back to college and make a million or two and still develop, uh and maybe even improve your stock, you know where late in the first round you're only looking here maybe making a couple of millions anyway, And if you're in, if you're projecting the first round, you know how good A lot of times you can slip to the second or even beyond that, Like there's been many guys like that, So maybe you don't want to take that chance and come back and get the ni own money. And that what what Carter Brant could do, and that initially that's what I thought, but lately I've seen three different pretty pretty credible mock drafts now have him number nine, and that's you know, that's that's kind of in that zone where you pretty much have to go if you really think, you know, if he's you know, if that looks really solid, and you know, and you never know what's being told behind the scenes or whatever, but a lot of times those major remarks, you know, are especially on the in the top half, are fairly accurate, you know, And so you got to think there's some intel going around right now where they really like Brian's upside. And it's not a hugely great draft after those, after those, you know, after Cooper Flags certainly, and some of the other top picks, and so I think there's some teams saying, you know what, this guy's got this huge upside, maybe he is worth a lottery pick, and you know, and if he does go top ten, then you're looking at like a gosh, I think a guaranteed deal of nine or ten million, maybe a little more than that. And uh, and that's kind of where maybe maybe he does go. So they a long story, a long way. What I'm saying is, if he really is the top ten pick, I don't think he does come back. A week ago, I would have said it was fifty fifty though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, they also have Jayden Bradley, who is doing the same process that Carter is going through right now in terms of going through the combine and seeing where he stacks up. You know, I've talked to a lot of fans of like, why are players doing this now? I mean, it makes all the sense in the world to go through this process, don't you think sobers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, you know, Brian's got nothing to lose. I'm actually surprised that more guys aren't doing this, But I think that's the factor of this is a really weird year with this whole nil thing, and there is a lot more money being thrown around right now because everybody's rushing to get contract signed because of this house settlement. And when the house settlement comes down, one of the provisions is supposed to be that the nil portions of these deals that run through schools now are going to be audited and verified or whatever for market value. And nobody knows what market value really is. But you know, it's so I think everyone's just I think a lot of these players who might be testing it that are I think are just going ahead and signing deals that are so much money that they don't even want to bother testing it. So but that could be a one off. I don't know that's gonna keep being the case, but but certainly somebody like Bradley, Yeah, it makes sense to get feedback. He didn't get invited to the Combine or the G League elitue camp, and I'm sure he's getting invited for some team workouts and getting some good feedback. And you know, he did the same thing last year, and you know it may have may have helped him, you know in ways that we you know, it was hard to tell on the surface or whatever, but you know, just him knowing what he needs to do or whatever, and and so yeah, it's it's a valuable thing for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question. How was you obviously get from Tom? How was he with with the news to you, with the news about both the two guys leaving, leaving and just testing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he was pragmatic about it.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean yeah, I mean I didn't. I actually talked to him only once since the season was over, and I had approached him at a baseball game and he was doing a fan function and then he agreed to talk to me a few days later, and they at that point he said he was expecting those guys to leave, which of course they did, or it to test it, and yeah, he was, he was fine about it. I mean, you know how he is. He he he says this. I mean all coaches say that, but I think it's true with him. He supports them doing it. And and you know, I think he's willing to roll it away. You know, I'm sure deep down it's not great if he knows he's going to lose a town like Carter, Brian, I think he knows that Bradley's going to stay. I mean, I think it's ninety five percent sure that he'll be back. But but you know, but it's got to hurt for Brian. But I think you know, he's he's okay with that. He's got, you know, a pretty good team either way, and maybe he can find somebody who can fill in for him if he does go with those minutes. And and I kind of wrote up this the other day, but you know, he's he's been pretty adaptable. And last year he found uh, Anthony Delorso when Caleb Love was on the testing and that was kind of fortunate for him because del Orso actually told him he was willing to play off the bench if Love came back, turned out, left, came back, and he ended up starting anyway, you know, just because of the way things worked out ironically over Carter Bryant, you know. And but you know, and then a couple of years ago, there few years ago, when Dale and Terry left, he went. He they they that was a tough one and that went down to the wire. And but they have been talking behind the scenes with Courtney Raimi and his people, and then Ramie pulled out of the draft and and boom, they had a bunch of minutes. Terry went, and they had a bunch of minutes in the starting spot for him, and he took it. So you know, it worked out that way. So you know, I think I think that's that's I think that's part of Lloyd's thought, is that, you know, if he leaves, you know that we can do some other things. And and it's always good for a program to lose a guy as a lottery pick and then all the recruits, you know, your potential recruits in the next two or four years, they're watching TV on Draft night and seeing, oh, this guy's from Arizona is a lottery pick. That's that's great for Arizona's recruiting that happen, well.
Speaker 3: That's what keeps There was almost a out there, you know, the block a kind of the name and everyone thinking that they're blue blood and blah blah blah because they have this name in the NBA, and Loot started that. It's funny because back in the day, it was the question was whether to have a one and done at all? Would you rather have a one and done or not have a one and done and deal with what you're going to deal with with one and done? Kind of like the standy Johnson. Don't you miss the days of ndab mhm, none and done?
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, and boy, that's he was almost the case study of why they went to a one and done rule, because you know, some guys need at least a little bit of of you know, this time to you know, mature a little and get a little further along. And I know the NBA guys prefer that because they don't want to draft on pure potential like what they did with d and not knowing or you know, where he was gonna what he was going to turn into, and you know, at least this year you get one one year, you know, and I think that, you know, and Carter Bryant's been, you know, a really good example to that. He might have gotten picked even at a high school if there was such a thing last year, but it probably would have been a second round or somebody just took a flyer on him. Now he looks like a guy who again might be a lot of I think, even after one year of limited.
Speaker 2: Youth in Arizona. Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you know you brought up recruiting in terms of helps you with recruiting when he had those types of players going back to Brandon Brandon Chappelle out of the state of Texas. How important was it for Tommy do you think to get somebody that has strong recruiting ties in Big twelve country as there was gonna continues to navigate through their new conference.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's a great question, Troy. I think it's I think it's really important. I think, you know, I was just talking to Jack Murphy, who you know, who was his boss basically at NAU about a decade ago for two years when Sheppell was a when he was a GA, and I think they would have hired him probably anyway, because apparently he was saying, you know, that him and law had really hit it off, and he you know, he had at some high level experience. He's been at unob he's been at Texas, but the fact that he's from he's actually a native of East Texas. Uh, you know, and coach played to Lamar coach at ut I mean all these you know, he's got all these ties and and that's yeah, that's a huge hole, especially being the Big Twelve from them. Now, that's a huge hole for them. Texas, they don't you know, they got you know, kJ Lewis was kind of to Texas but also at a tie in Tucson as well. That that's been a big hole for them. So you know, I think that's that's a big deal that they have a little in there and uh, you know kind of in traditional Big Twelve country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it'll be uh, it'll be a nice audition. Obviously, the losing Robinson, a guy who's been out there for all the time, but maybe a little change will help, right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think so. I mean, you know, Robinson I think was a good fit for what Tommy Waite needed at the time. He was the guy who's been around you know forever basically and he'd been to four final eight final fours or something like that with Roy Williams, and he'd been a head coach for seven years as well as that, and and so he had all his experience and I you know, and that was at the time when Tommy Lloyd was the first year head coach. And granted, Tommy Lloyd had worked with Mark Few for two decades and can dag In you know pretty much knew what he wanted to do, I'm sure, but but just having a guy like Steve Robinson on his staff, whereas all his other staffers mostly were younger than him and you know, less experience, just to have somebody he can bounce some off and say, hey, does this make sense or that or whatever. You know, I think there was a valuable thing for him. But you know, now they're four years in Robinson's on the layout, and you know, it makes sense now to pulling a guy younger in his career. And again it's Troy two has that, you know, some recruiting ties that could really help his team.
Speaker 5: Out, not only with the coaching stuff and everything going around Carter Bryant, but Tommy has been very busy the SAFT season and putting together Arizona's twenty twenty five twenty six non conference schedule, and you look at the names that Arizona's going to be facing, Florida, UCLA, Yukon, Auburn, Alabama. You know, just how is it for you in terms of getting to see those types of teams play and refreshing to see a big time Power five school not afraid to take those punches, not afraid to you know, go into those matchups.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, I think that's also probably reflective of the fact that Lloyd's a little more experienced now, he's not you know, not you know, and he knows he has a pretty solid team with or without Bryant, And that's part of scheduling you want, ideally, you want to kind of tweak it to the level that your team's going to be at. And I think he knows he has another top fift team, maybe better team. So they've got these guys. And then another piece of it is, frankly, because they're not playing in one of those traditional mal Imitational Atlantis kind of multi team events, they're making their own. Basically, they're going to play a weaker one at home, and so they kind of need to deep out the non conference schedule with at least three or four high majors, and it looks like, you know, right now they're looking at what five or something, so you know, and yeah, that probably bodes well. And then and then the other factor is too, not only they're not playing in an MT really, they're also only playing eighteen Big twelve games, So those two things kind of tweak down the schedule, so they need to kind of make up for it a little bit. And again on the on the non conference side by playing some big time teams. And then I think these neutral games also help them in the NIL space, as they say, because they can make a bunch of satellite things around that and generate them in IL, which helps the program out as well. So you know, I think it's you know, and and at the same time, they also are going to play an extra game at McHale, so you could say that some of those neutral site games take away from season ticket holders here at McHale, but at least they're they're going to play nineteen times ex editions at home. It looks like I.
Speaker 3: Don't know why I thought this now, but obviously the area early had the Red Blue game and am sure they teased everyone with a blue Red Blue game in Phoenix, could they retease?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 13: And that didn't happen. Yeah, yeah, And then they said they were going to reschedule it for the next year. We'll see if it even happens. I mean, it wasn't selling. Well, I'm not sure, you know, And that's yeah, you know, you guys know it's there. There's there's definitely a core of you A fans and at Alms in Phoenix that's substantial, but there's it's a pro sports market. There's all kinds of things to do. How much did they really want to see an uh a scrimmage? A glorified scrimmage and in early October?
Speaker 2: Don't put us through to those, don't put us through two of those.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, I you know, honestly, yeah, I mean, there was so much going on. It's you know, I was kind of relieved we didn't have to drive to Glendale and cover an eight o'clock scrimmage and drive home at two in the morning. And you know, we do that enough.
Speaker 2: As it is, right right, Okay, anything else, Bruce, that's it.
Speaker 13: No, I think it's I think it's I think, you know, knock on wood. I think it's kind of calming down for them. I don't know, you know, just a couple of pieces here and there. It'll be interesting to see how Caleb Love is gonna, you know, if he goes to that g D camp, if he plays well enough to go to the NBA Combine, because he's the guy, you know, he might get he might get picked. He can certainly command. I would think a two way contract and get a get a chance, you know, at the NBA in the next couple of seasons, and then uh, you know, we'll see with Brian. You know, he probably won't play in the combine, but it'll be interesting to see how he does it. Does he test, does he tests well?
Speaker 2: We know he's going to interview.
Speaker 13: Well, he's a you know, he's pretty polished, mature kid. You know, we'll see if he blows up on some of those testing and intangibles, which is exactly what happened to Dale and Terry fight years ago, you know, going into combine, you know, wasn't Terry was still kind of on the bubble, and then he goes to Chicago for the combine and they found out he has a seven to one wings fan, Oh we can jump this way? Or what's his time on the shuttle or I think he was doing great and all that stuff and he and the once I love with him and ended up being a what number eighteen pick I think it was.
Speaker 2: Has he played much.
Speaker 13: Though in and out of the rod, No, you know, but he they you know, he's he's still you know, he's still is still you know, interesting to see where he goes. But he's been up, you know, the bulls have had him up. He's been bouncing around back and forth. But he's still you know, he's still developing. He's still relatively young. So you know, I don't think it's I think it's still too early to judge.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the problem.
Speaker 3: I mean the draft on potential, right potential, and then guess what, the next guy the next year has a lot of potential, so it pushes out the old guy who's twenty one and he's got potential. How much potential do you need or do you have available to your roster?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I know, I know, I know. And at some point and you look for change and that may happen, maybe another organization. I don't know, but I don't know what his contract status is but that does happen, and but it's crazy, and you know how this is like, and then you talk about potential with Carter Bryant, that's that you know, if he goes to the NBA, he's not probably going to play a lot next.
Speaker 5: The year, but.
Speaker 13: He would be drafted based on what he could be. And it's interesting because he's nineteen years old. What if he came back to Arizona and Anthony Elea Dolorso starts over him again, or at least or maybe he start maybe you know, his stats only incrementally go up. THENNIS talk's going to go down because then he started, then he wouldn't be seen as having maybe that much upside at age twenty as he did does at nineteen. So it's you know, it's it's.
Speaker 2: A strange deal.
Speaker 13: So again, if he is, if he is a top ten tick, it's hard to see him stand at Arizona.
Speaker 3: Right of course, thank you, Bruce, take care?
Speaker 13: Yeah all right, yeah, thanks, you have a good one.
Speaker 3: Let's take a break, come back and finish out the show. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelson era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Net is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 1: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 15: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health of course.
Speaker 14: To feel better and look better. It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 15: Arizona Health the lead manage an exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 17: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 6: We believe less is more.
Speaker 17: Let's pies need more money in your Pocketless hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in.
Speaker 8: Your financial future.
Speaker 17: Pyramids Less is more, last of He is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund spectrum. Very much federal card at Union where less is more federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender, breaking.
Speaker 6: Down all the access at OHS. This is high on the ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to in thebaut here on Fox Sports Sports and fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Troy Hutchison, and we got one working on the board. If you'd like to call us, please do five two zero four one six seventy four forty. We have one last breaking news thing that we didn't get in. Yeah, Baltimore.
Speaker 1: The Baltimore Ravens cut veteran kicker Justin Tucker and what comes of it.
Speaker 2: Opportunity for Tyler Loop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you don't do that randomly, No, you know, get your quick kicker, whether just in case. And he's a good kid. We had him on the show a couple of weekers. I think, Yeah, he was a good kid, great interview.
Speaker 2: You know player, there's a reason why he drafted them. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think everybody thought they would maybe go through training camp and you know, just see how things were, But at this point, what do you have to lose. Maybe bring in a veteran kicker and now you don't have that issue on the squad anymore.
Speaker 3: Right, And he could kick off, he could kick field those long ones and do kickoffs and he kind of well, they called him the ultimate weapon that night. I mean it was Roger who was Gonzales. I think he yeah, talked about he had never been around a kid that with that leg. Should ask him that I should have asked him to kind of re say that.
Speaker 5: Well, and you know what, Arizona, they've had a history of having really good kickers in terms of Zendejas and McLaughlin back in the eighties and nineties, Nick Folk in the early two thousands.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: And he's still out there, and he's still out there, and you know what, Tyler Loop is as good as any of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And as the kid how you say his name, he's he still out there too, I think.
Speaker 2: He's I think he's with the UFL.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean he's been in the league for a little bit. Yeah, helped develop Tyler Loup, helped him with his long givers here even after when he left, he would spend the off season working out with Tyler Luke, so maybe a coaching career for him later on. But uh, Tyler lup I think when you look at Arizona kickers, he's definitely on that list of all time great kickers.
Speaker 3: So good for him. Good kid, just you know from our conversation, So good for him. It'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's possibly, Uh, well, three players from this NFL draft class from Arizona to possibly start.
Speaker 3: Well, you know how many times did we say that in the past. Not very many rate we're talking about talent coming through. But you might want to say why they decided to go this way because Tucker was in trouble.
Speaker 2: Massage parters blah blah blah. Deshaun Watson the type of deal? Watson asked, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's what the online says. This happened before Watson was relieved.
Speaker 5: And let's let's be honest, over the last like two years, he hasn't been the same guy he started the Miskicks and get older and it's like, well, you have off field issues, your leg isn't what it used to be. Thanks, have a nice life.
Speaker 2: Business? Yeah, yeah, well said did they talked? They said it would be a business decision.
Speaker 3: Or it is a business decision, and he only hit seventy three percent of his kicks and he was the stud though he was, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean he he probably will be an NFL Hall of Famer if the other stuff doesn't play a part in it. In terms of justice on field talent, he's one of the better kickers in NFL history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe he has the longest field goal three sixty four I think sixty four against the lines or no. Sixty six. I think he's sixty six.
Speaker 5: I've seen it. It was just a couple of years ago, right, Yeah, hit the bottom bar and bounced in for the win. Right think it might have been Yeah, sixty six yards and that's in a dome stadium that that's not easy to do. Yeah, but no, good for Tyler Lupin. I think uh a lot of Raven fans will be watching him throughout training camp and in uh preseason games to see what they got because that's going to be a major factor for them as they navigate. They have a really good roster, but try to navigate the AFC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of mentioned it a little bit, but does he take that number nine?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Right, I was joking about it. No, that that's gonna. I don't know if they'll retire the number nine, But how about number one. It's a good kicking number. You al said the breaking new dimebacks. Oh yeah, I was joking about that. The new jersey's the City connect jerseys. Uh, they look good and go kind of throw back with the purple.
Speaker 1: They kind of remind me of the Valley jerseys for the Suns, kind of popping, kind of looks good. Maybe they'll play good, but you know, Steve doesn't believe in that look.
Speaker 3: Good, play good. There's been a lot of good uniforms out there. They don't play good. What's the point, you know?
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I have lost that argument to you.
Speaker 3: If you if you go to do your thesis, if you come back, go to school and you want thesis going, Oh, this team look good and you can do your thesis.
Speaker 2: On look good? Right, I might.
Speaker 3: I might just do that, yeah, and they'll say, you know what, you're right that in home court advantage.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, isn't there a Colin Calvery thing about? Uh, good looking quarterbacks are more successful quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 3: You're the Tom Brady this is the jiggins zawiest thing. I was just texting him. This is you know, gunner Gunner Cruise built like you know, Donna's quarterback, sixty six whatever it was. Couldn't throw any couldn't hit a ten yard target.
Speaker 2: What's the point? What's what's the point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and then we get to fight put ten Noah, who's fantastic?
Speaker 5: It is all bunch of crap. Well you can look good and look the role again, Gunner Cruise is force.
Speaker 2: It is not a reason. This is not a movie. Once you get hit, things change than change way.
Speaker 3: We're not scripting a movie here with you know, mister whomever.
Speaker 5: We don't need sunshine from remember the Titans shine.
Speaker 2: It was a good play.
Speaker 3: Good shut up, hurry with that phrase that in momentum, there's no momentum.
Speaker 2: No, there's no such thing.
Speaker 3: No. In context, yes, but not in oh he's it's you had a good run. You're had a good run. Momentum, momentum.
Speaker 2: But beauty. Sleep is a thing. Steve needs it today.
Speaker 3: I need it, needs a long trip Vegas.
Speaker 2: So the war the Warriors, timber Wolf.
Speaker 3: The warst Yes, yes, I'm I'm I really don't know the series, but I'm taking the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: Last yesterday I was gonna put some money down on the Warriors, and I said, God, I just don't know if they can pull it off. In Houston, they played fantastic, Buddy heel was fantastic.
Speaker 5: I mean, they would have had to have lost three straight games for them to choke that serious. And I just don't see them with with that leadership in the room, Steve Kerrz and Green, then Curry, you don't You're not gonna lose.
Speaker 3: Apparently they had a team meeting and that kind of set them back, you know, with Draymond and mister Philosopher.
Speaker 5: With with that being said, Timberwolves in six, Okay, you want to take twenty for me? Yeah, okay, I'll take that. I'll take that. I'll do that. I'll tak I need to pay you somehow. All you guys, one of these days will have a pizza party. We don't get raises.
Speaker 3: We had an office pizza party. Your calories will be raised, that's all. But no, Yeah, Anthony Edwards love this Minnesota team. Yeah No, they're good. They're good. We'll see what happens. I think I think the Warriors will pull it off and then who knows after this? You got to you gotta score on the Knicks game.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're in the second quarter now, seven twenty three left, forty to thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Celtics take the Celtics in this.
Speaker 5: Well, I do you think the Knicks are going to win this series? But it's pretty close. You want to do another twenty no, no one, twenty at a time, No one at a time. It's just another time. Maybe you'll get some momentum. I tried, and I try. No, I just like the next depth. I don't think they have the superstar talent of the Celtics out, but I think they're deeper one through one through nine. They have a deeper bench. You have tougher dudes like mckel bridges, you have og An andob you have guys that can defend multiple positions.
Speaker 3: What do you make of the Belichick off the field stuff.
Speaker 5: That I think there's a lot of things you can go in there, and I'm not going to get into all of those. But we know who rules the rest in the Belichick house right now, and it's not Bill Belichick.
Speaker 1: It's not I think it's a bunch of boloney which part the off the field stuff and with it. I think it's just headlines to create the create attention, maybe for the program, maybe further outlets. I'm not sure. I just I don't. I'm not really into whatever. We know who's ruaring de pends on that baby.
Speaker 2: But I'll say this, none of it matters.
Speaker 5: Once the season rolls around, sure, and and North Carolina is four and eight, five and seven, yeah, yeah, yeah, And then he darts to the NFL. You're left with Steve Belichick as your head coach? What are you going to be doing that?
Speaker 3: I think I think if he fails all, he won't be coaching at all anymore. He's seventy seventy three, seventy four, Yeah, I think this will be his last.
Speaker 5: I think he's trying to make this a one and done year though, possibly try to get to that nine win. Mark go to the NFL and say.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Steve, yeah, and my son, yeah, you know that's possible too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I just think it's crazy that you're like, yeah, yeah, well, we'll make your son the next head coach. Just come on over, yeah, just so we want you to be here. We got we got said about forty five seconds. Okay, clicks Nuggets and thunder Nuggets and Thunder Thunder Thunder under under sweet six six.
Speaker 2: And five ish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll say this, Mike Malone was still the head coach of the night.
Speaker 2: I would take the Nuggets and seven, Yeah, I would. I would too. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd take them to seven, but I think they'd have a better shot at it. But hey, what it is, what it is. Thanks guys, thanks for coming in today. Everybody speech to appreciate you, guys. I'll see you guys too tomorrow.