Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I have a quick gass jobs alert. Oh okay, yeah, Richie's been fired? Why my wife fired him?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Is this because of the butterfly color scheme?
Speaker 5: Something like that?
Speaker 4: The bottom bottom five.
Speaker 5: That's probably.
Speaker 4: I like that everyone wants to defend your honor.
Speaker 2: Big story international. The leader of hes Belah Hassan.
Speaker 4: I know what she said. Not safe for work.
Speaker 5: No, okay, nope, that's great. But I'm glad. I like that people come to defend That's great.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 2: The leader of hes Belah was speaking to followers today did a televised address to members of Hesblah uh and blamed, of course, the pager and walkie talkie bomb attacks on Israel.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He accused Israel trying to kill four thousand people at once and said that yesterday's walkie talkie attack was also intended to kill around one thousand more.
Speaker 5: While now this is important.
Speaker 2: While he was speaking, Israeli warplanes were conducting air strikes in and around Lebanon, and they were creating sonic booms over Bay Route that you could not only hear if you were in that city, but you could hear over the telecast while he was giving the speech. So it sounded like there were even more explosions going on while he was given that speech.
Speaker 1: Today lawmakers are planning for a possible mass casualty event.
Speaker 4: It's where we kick off. Swamp watch.
Speaker 5: Swamp is horrible, the government does. Man, We're gonna make us like a reality TV shoot. Corn pop was a bad bos.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: Hey, Joey after a town hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 5: Still a swamp.
Speaker 4: A batch of malarkey, he.
Speaker 5: Said, drain the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so I'll keep you happen.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You know the thing, this is the stuff of movies.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, when you think about recent events, though, it's the stuff of reality. In twenty twenty four, you think about the attempted assassination of members of that congressional baseball team practice in twenty seventeen, the Capitol riot in twenty twenty one, there's been a dramatic spike in threats against members of Congress. We got a second possible assassination attempt against a former president. So now they are trying to prepare for what could be a mass casualty event with Congress.
Speaker 2: So I mean, this is Tom Clancy level thinking. There was ah I can't remember which of his books it was. I want to say it was Debt of Honor where which would have been published in the mid nineties maybe early nineties, and it was about somebody who flew a plane into the capital and.
Speaker 5: That time.
Speaker 2: And then there of course the Designated Survivor that show on ABC recently with Kiefer Sutherland was about an attack on the in fact the State of the Union, where they had that designated survivor, a member of the cabinet who would become the president in the event that everybody's gone. In this case, they're talking about the and taking into account the Congressional baseball team practice attack, the attack on the Capitol, the second now assassination attempt against former President Trump, and the potential to deal with what would happen in the event that there is a mass casualty attack on or at least something that happens that kills multiple members of Congress at the same time.
Speaker 1: Now they are thinking about a constitutional amendment that would allow members to be replaced quickly in the event of a mass casualty event. Anytime you talk about a constitutional amendment, you're putting yourself in an unlikely scenario.
Speaker 4: It's very it would be very difficult to get this agreed.
Speaker 5: On well, and it takes a long time. I mean, constitutional amendments don't happen overnight.
Speaker 2: But the way that they're talking about this, you've got you've got four members of Congress, two Democrats, two Republicans, Derek Kilmer, Democrat out of Washington and Emmanuel Cleaver, Democrat.
Speaker 5: Out of Missouri. Didn't we speak to him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Brad Weinstrip out of Ohio and William Timmins of South Carolina. The Republicans and their proposed constitutional amendment would require each member of the House submit names of at least five individuals from their political party to their state's governor, and in the event that that representative dies, the governor then chooses a name from that list within ten days, the House Speaker would be quired would required to seat that person immediately.
Speaker 4: They say that.
Speaker 1: This would discourage attempts to use violence to sway the balance of power in the House.
Speaker 4: But let me just say this. When you're put a list of.
Speaker 1: Five Republicans together, right, let's say, uh, Congressman Brown is in power and somebody takes out somebody wants to take out Congressman Brown because he's gone too far to the right, and they know the next guy up is more moderate. You know, there's such a there say, it's not just a Republican as a Republican as a Republican. There's so many differences. Do you hear that, Oh, there's an alarm.
Speaker 4: Going off here?
Speaker 1: A fire alarm, fire alarm. Oh man, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Go see if there's a fire to take a break. I mean, we ignore it where we are, But.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll continue with swamp watch and we'll check the fire alarm in Charlotte.
Speaker 5: Was there a fire?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's a fire alarm that goes off, and you know us we ignore these routinely.
Speaker 2: Well that's because oftentimes they're just I mean, they're planned, and we're told if you're on the air when the when the planned fire alarm test goes off, you.
Speaker 5: Don't know exactly.
Speaker 1: So I am not privy to iHeart Charlotte, so I would not have gotten that email had they gotten one.
Speaker 4: So I walk out of the studio.
Speaker 1: And I look down the hall and I see people and they're grabbing their stuff. And I see my contact guy, who's very serious about what he does. He's very conscientious, it seems to me to be a very by the book person.
Speaker 4: He was crying and he was harried, and I said, is this for real?
Speaker 1: And he looked at me like I had slapped his baby, like oh, you're one of those people kind of a thing, like a not a rule follower, and and he's like, yes, it's for real.
Speaker 4: And I was like, okay, so I come back, grab my stuff. I go outside.
Speaker 5: You're not supposed to grab your stuff. You're just supposed to leave me.
Speaker 1: I went in and out as refrigerator. Even I was the last one out. I was the last one.
Speaker 5: Out of the building the lip gloss exactly.
Speaker 1: And so I get out there, got my fresh gatorade, all my stuff. I'm the only one with stuff, by the way, the only one. And I took the elevator down. So anyway I broke. I'm going to get kicked out. I'm basically gonna get kicked out.
Speaker 2: The best part is everybody's been out on the out there waiting. They can't go back in until they know the building is clear, and you're the only one still in the building. Yeah, well, I'm glad that nobody.
Speaker 4: Burned making friends and influencing people.
Speaker 2: We'll do tech talk at the bottom of the hour. But we're in the middle of swamp Watch, and there's a bunch of poles that have come out. One, for example, is all about the Swing States. By the way, this one from Emerson College and the Hill Trump edges out Harris in Arizona forty nine to forty eight, in Georgia fifty to forty seven, in Pennsylvania forty eight to forty seven, and Wisconsin forty nine to forty eight. But she leads and by similar one or two points in Michigan and North Carolina. According to this pole, they're tied in Nevada. Now that's just one. There's been a bunch of other poles. And these are not just the you know, the crappy polls from schools you've never heard of.
Speaker 5: These are you know, three five star polls.
Speaker 2: One of them is New York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, and the other Sea on a College basically said that the race is deadlocked nationally, despite the fact, and this is an important thing, despite the fact that a lot of people gave Kamala Harris very positive reviews after the debate, and then the last poll from Washington Posts shows that Kamala Harris is favored by forty eight percent of both likely and registered voters. Trump is supported by forty seven percent. That again, nationwide. The first one that I mentioned, that Emerson College Hill Pole was the one that's important because it goes specifically swing state by swing state.
Speaker 1: That group in Michigan, remember the uncommitted from the primary. Oh yeah, a way of protesting Biden's policies in the Israel Hamas situation. They say they will not endorse the vice president voted but has urged against voting third party or for Trump. So they're just not going to show up.
Speaker 2: I guess they're not going to endorse her, but they don't want you to do anything.
Speaker 1: How big of a group is this, because I feel like they got outsized media attention in the primary season.
Speaker 5: I do think that's part of it.
Speaker 2: I think that's definitely an aspect of that story that's a little overblown perhaps, Yeah, But speaking of the teamsters are not going to endorse a candidate for president in twenty twenty four. That's the first time they've done that since nineteen ninety six, and since ninety six they've only endorsed Democrats. This is Sean O'Brien, the president. We didn't get solid commitments from either candidate, which was a major factor in our decision as a general executive.
Speaker 5: Board not to endorse any candidate.
Speaker 1: However, we did a lot of polling, as you know, and the polling leaned heavily towards former President Trump.
Speaker 2: Now what I didn't understand was, Okay, so that you polled your membership. Your membership said they wanted you to endorse Trump, but you're not going to.
Speaker 5: Why not.
Speaker 2: It's one thing to say we're not going to get involved in politics anymore, But if your membership has already told you that that's who they want, why don't you do it. There are individual groups within the Teamsters in general, the Teamsters National Black Caucus, a bunch of Teamsters locals, members of the national leadership. They have all endorsed Kamala Harris over the objections of Sean O'Brien, but opponents have organized a Teamsters Against Trump effort that has actually undermined Sean O'Brien for the last couple of years. So it's a strange version of we we're not going to endorse anybody, but the majority of our members want to vote for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump's going to Springfield, Ohio. No he's not where they eat the animals.
Speaker 5: No he's not.
Speaker 2: He has said he I know, he's said he's going to He also said he's probably never gonna make it out a lot.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go there in the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Springfield and I'm going to Aurora.
Speaker 5: You may never see me again, but that's okay. Gotta do what I gotta do.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened to Trump, well he never got out of Springfield. I'll I'll eat my words if in fact he ever sets foot in Springfield, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Why do you think he's going to be deterred from going there? If he wants to go there.
Speaker 5: I don't think he.
Speaker 4: Because you think he's this is going to happen if he says it.
Speaker 2: It just seems that just this is the blustery part of him where he's just saying the things. He's saying these things to the crowd. I mean, he mentioned this the other day in an interview where he talks about when he did the sit down interview with Sarah Huckabee Sanders in Michigan. I believe where he said, you know, I could say all of these things and people think I'm funny for or people think I'm not smart enough because I don't put all of the stuff together, or I speak in incomplete sentences. But when it comes together, it all comes together, and everybody loves me. He says things that aren't necessarily going to happen. I mean, how many times have we heard him say I'll have a plan for you in two weeks or I'll tell you what I'm going to do in three days, and never pays it off. This is just I just don't think this is one of those things. It's not in Springfield, Ohio. Is not important in terms of the election. It's important in terms of a message that he's trying to get across, where he says that immigrants are eating cats and dogs and ducks. I don't if I were advising him, nobody's listening to me in his campaign. Don't don't waste your time in Springfield, Don't don't make this an issue, because you're gonna be it's going to be debunked, and you're gonna look idiotic.
Speaker 1: I disagree, and I think it is a great moment that he will never meet. Okay, to use the lingo, but to go to Springfield and say, this was never about eating cats and dogs. It's about a city in America, a small city in America overrun with immigrants put here by the Biden administration, so saturated that the people who live in Springfield and have for decades do not have access to the services that are now being eaten up by Biden's immigrant program.
Speaker 2: Okay, if that's what I would do, and if that's the message, then again I'll eat my words and I would I would give credit to the campaign because they did it right.
Speaker 5: He can't do that, I know. He can't stick to a message that.
Speaker 1: A great moment to share all kidding aside, this is what's really happening, and it's happening in small towns all over the country.
Speaker 4: Could be very powerful.
Speaker 1: However, the mayor Republican mayor Springfield, Ohio says you can't come here, please don't. It would be an extreme strain on our resources. We are not set up to handle a visit like that.
Speaker 2: That I think would also be a roadblock for him. Yeah, yeah, which I don't know. Again, I don't know if that changes his ideas or not. Just a quick note. Also, Iran apparently now says, or I should say, the FBI says that Iran sent unsolicited emails, including materials stolen from the Trump campaign, to people associated with the Biden campaign. That those emails were sent to Biden. They did have information in there that was not available to the public. It's not clear if anybody from the Biden administration took the bait, or if they responded, or if they used any of the information. But we do know that Iranian hackers did send stolen Trump campaign information to Biden campaign associates.
Speaker 1: Oh, Tim Kates just sent me a picture of his grocery cart. And guess who the realtor on the grocery.
Speaker 5: Cart is bree king?
Speaker 4: No, justin Worsham, justin Worsham.
Speaker 1: Yes, want buying or selling your home to be professional and fun's going to use this guy.
Speaker 2: It's got the two pictures, all right, It's got the button down one where he just looks happy and fun, and then it's the one where he's got the crazy hair, and.
Speaker 4: I'll post it to our Instagram story.
Speaker 2: Okay, the fallout continues from two days of technology blowing up in the hands of members of Hesbelah and people in Lebanon, even in a few in Syria. The leader of Hesblah is vowed to retaliate for the attacks. Israel and Hesbela exchange strikes yesterday, sorry today, as Hassan Nosrala was speaking, In fact, there were several sonic booms that were heard over Beyroot as he was speaking. Israel's defenseman said that Hezbolah is going to pay an increasing price as Israel tries to return residents to homes near that Lebanon border.
Speaker 1: So we're here right in Charlotte for the week, and Jim Harbaugh told us to bring board games and stuff.
Speaker 5: So I actually packed that scrabble.
Speaker 1: No, I got it at the target. Oh okay, And so I picked up a deck of cards and scrabble. And yesterday one of the writers, well, he said he saw the scrabble. He said, Oh, I'm totally down for a scrabble game. And I'm like, oh, oh, excellent last words, sir, I'm excellent.
Speaker 4: You have no idea what's about to happen.
Speaker 2: And are you saying that out of confidence that you're going to crush him or.
Speaker 1: I'm very serious. I'm very competitive when it comes to scrabble. That's why my husband will only play once a year on my birthday. But uh, I got the I got this writer's like, oh yeah, play scrabble, my great. So there's a bunch of tables outside the meal room, so players and coaches are walking by and stuff playing scrabble or whatever, and you know, it puts you in a different, in even more competitive feel, you know.
Speaker 4: And I had a leg up.
Speaker 1: I was up maybe fifty points or something on him, and then I decided to really just keep my foot on the gas and just crush him.
Speaker 4: And he couldn't believe it. He just said, you know, I'm a writer, this is what I do. I should do better than this.
Speaker 1: And I was like, don't get down on yourself, you know, But I showed no mercy.
Speaker 5: Condescending, don't get down on yourself.
Speaker 1: Well, he thinks I'm a nice person, so he has no idea that I'm like, bless your heart.
Speaker 4: Anyway, it's time for tech Talk Tektalk.
Speaker 5: The machines are getting smarter. This is tech Talk, brought to you by Skynet.
Speaker 2: Mark Saltzman is joining us because Mark Saltzman is the guy that we go to when we talk about all things tech and scrabble in scrabble.
Speaker 4: He's a scrabble guy. I can tell.
Speaker 5: Because I'm a wordsmith.
Speaker 1: You are a wordsmith. Do we need this new iPhone? What's the deal?
Speaker 3: Uh? You know I'm hearing an echos, So I got to take out major buds story about this. So, like every year, it's a lot more evolutionary than revolutionary. And if my hands on time with the new iPhone sixteen's are any indication it's the same this year. But there's one major difference. If you ask a random person on the street who owns an iPhone what is their biggest pain point with their device, they're going to say battery life. And thankfully and finally Apple licked it, so they got it up to thirty three hours of video playback, not that you're going to binge that hard when you're watching something on your favorite streaming service, but that's on the Promax version, whereas the regular iPhone is about twenty two hours and on the plus because you know, there's different flavors of iPhone sixteen.
Speaker 5: It's twenty seven hours.
Speaker 3: So the bottom line is it's a bigger, better battery and smarter software management.
Speaker 5: So that's the biggest story out of the gate.
Speaker 3: The AI that they've been talking about for a few months and certainly made a big deal about Apple Intelligence last week, it's not ready just yet. Until October, it wasn't quite ready for prime time. See if you want to take a bit of a leap of faith, and it is Apple, so you know they're going to deliver. It's not going to be working when you get your iPhone sixteen tomorrow when it comes out, so you just got to wait another month and all of the things like you know, a smarter sery and summarizing meetings and giving you you know, real time language translations and cleaning up your photos like you know, with little Billy giving the rabbit years behind Grandma's back, you can remover her with the tap of the finger.
Speaker 5: Coming.
Speaker 3: See yeah, you know, so this is all coming. So that's the biggest story is the AI is just not quite ready. But everything else, you know, as you would expect a great camera for shooting videos and videos. There's a new camera control button on the side in fact that is touch and pressure sensitive that does different things. And then on the left side of the iPhone, it's an action button that was previously only available with the pro version. So what that is it's basically a shortcut that you can program whatever you wanted to do when you press this button on the left side of the device, so it can turn on your flashlight, it can open up your favorite app. It can open up Shazam to listen to whatever song you're hearing and you want to capture that. It can launch the translator, create a memo, mute your phone is what it is by default. So they're trickling down some of the more premium features to the regular iPhone sixteen now and then the pro versions have, you know, bigger screen, better camera, faster process or all the things you'd expect.
Speaker 2: Any real changes to the design of this thing, I mean the outside portions of it, and we know what goes on on the inside.
Speaker 3: Not really, you know, I don't even when I write articles about I don't even mention colors because you're going to probably or you should at least have a case on it.
Speaker 5: So I'm not gonna.
Speaker 3: I don't waste any ink on oh new colors, even though Apple thinks it's such a big deal because you're going to cover it up unless you buy a transparent case, which is I guess an option. But then the only other thing that I've noticed is just a little bit more rounded corners you know, who cares, and and a little bit more of a screen, like less bezel or border around the actual display, Like the front of the iPhone is like one sheet of glass now, so you don't see really any border as you normally would.
Speaker 5: So that's a little bit better. And they're pretty big.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Promax is six point nine inches.
Speaker 5: That's that's a pretty big phone, you know.
Speaker 3: And you can, but you may not be able to type with one hand on it unless you like. There's that option on the virtual keyboard to tug the keyboard a little bit over to one side more the virtual keyboard, right, so unless you're a two handed typer, Yeah, if you liked it to hold it and navigate at the same time, I might be a bit tricky. So but other than that, no, it's it's the biggest iPhone, yeah, with the smallest border or bezel on the to answer your question on the outside, but I think a lot of the magic is under the hood. So the new camera features are pretty wild, the new buttons, the better battery life, and then AI coming in October.
Speaker 2: And then only just two mortgage payments and it can be yours.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, they're pretty consistent with their pricing, so they do start. I mean, it is a premium phone, but it's Apple, right, So they start at seven to ninety nine for the iPhone sixteen, not including any trade ins, the iPhone Plus, which is a little bit bigger, so instead of six point three at six point seven inches, it's eight ninety nine, and then the Pro starts at nine ninety nine. And the Pro Max, which is the biggest of the phone with the best processor, the most storage available and the best cameras, starts at eleven ninety nine.
Speaker 5: So not cheap.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, no, no question there. You know, it's not for everyone, but that's Apple. They don't want to, you know, they have their iPhone se which is they're less expensive or you can still probably get a fourteen or fifteen, but they don't want to play in that space. They let the Android folks duke it out. For some of the less expensive devices. The leftovers got it. That's Apple, you know, God bless them. Mark, Thank you, appreciate it. You too, save troubles guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Mark Saltzman there with tech talk, and remember you can always follow Mark on Twitter, m arc underscore Saltzman. He's got some great tech tips, et cetera. The Federal Trade Commission says they found several social media and streaming services do engage in what they refer to as vast surveillance of consumers, including my kids. Yeah, that's they collect. They share more personal information than what most of us realize. It's here's the thing. It's more than what most of us realize. But it's not necessarily more than what they tell you. We just don't read the TNC's, We don't read the terms and conditions. We just go say yes, shut up and let me watch my show.
Speaker 1: It's wild that I'll be talking on the phone and I will bring up a topic of conversation and then I flipped to Instagram and the very thing I was talking about is in a meme or it's an ad.
Speaker 4: It's wild.
Speaker 1: It makes me just want my phone to explode, like I do. Work for hesbula.
Speaker 2: It's terrifying, but while it's in a safe space, not well, it's in your hand or your pocket or something, right right. They said that the Federal Trade Commission looked at how nine companies, including the biggies you know meta which is Facebook, and Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, how they collected and used data. Most of those offer some form of free service. Some of them also have paid services for more things. But they really make the profit off the information that you give them by advertising to you, advertising the target specific users through demographics, among other things. They said they studied this, started studying it four years ago to offer the first holistic look into the business practices of some of these biggest online platforms. Linda Khan FTC chair said in the statement, surveillance practices can endanger people's privacy, threaten their freedoms, and expose them to a host of harms from identity identity, identity theft to stalking. We know, here's here's what I think blows me away. I'm as guilty of this as everybody else. I know this, I see this, I witness it. I mean, to your point, the things that we talk about, then all of a sudden show up on our phones or our Amazon accounts, but we don't curb our usage.
Speaker 1: I do. I've I've started doing that. I don't look at Instagram nearly as much as I used to. I usually now only will check it out if if I am killing time or I'm lying. And I hate that too, that I can't just be bored or just stare at something that's not stimulating for five minutes. But I try not to because it kind of got weird in terms of of the stuff that was popping up and just I was just talking about that, or I was just looking at that on another device, or saying some not even on my phone, having conversation with you in the studio, and that these things just they just come up, and I'm like, eh, I do like this.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: And there's no way it's going to change because there's you are in the absolute minority, I mean, the tiny sliver of society that would have the consciousness to change behavior in order to curb this. Until huge portions of society do this, it's never going to change because the government's not going to come in and crack down on it, not in a way that's going to be meaningful.
Speaker 1: It's the cost of doing business with your addiction that is social media.
Speaker 4: If you want to be on it all the time, it's going to be on you all the time.
Speaker 2: Bottom of next hour, we get into strained science. Some fun information about van Go Millipedes. I saw a handful of those recently. All of that is coming up, but in the meantime, other great things in the twelve o'clock hour, like our trending stories coming up next. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap