Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports Phone lines are open at eight, six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. After the Dodgers shut out the Chicago Cubs tonight by a final score of three to nothing, we have a lot to get to Between now and eleven o'clock. We'll check in with Jose Mota. You'll hear from Justin Turner and Freddie Freeman. But tonight was about Yamamoto and Tommy Edmund Yamamoto. I don't want to take full credit for this, but I'm going to remind you and I'm going to take my victory lap every time he pitches, because going all the way back to spring training, I said, this guy is going to finish in the top three of the National League's Say Young voting this year. I don't know if he's going to win it. There's a lot of variables, especially when you have writers voting for it. But he certainly is going to finish in the top three of the National League Say Young voting if he stays healthy, and I'm a believer that he will stay healthy.
Speaker 3: He does not look tentative.
Speaker 2: He has never looked tentative going back to spring training, and that's the reason why I felt so confident he He was a different guy after that first start against the Padres in the NLDS. And if you heard our conversation with Keik Hernandez in spring training, and we shared it last time Yama Moto started a game, Keik said that he took Yamamoto for some coffee for about two or three hours and just got into him and boosted his confidence. Teammate to teammate. A fellow team was guy. The fellow team was guy, and there was no interpreter there. It was just Keik and Yamamoto somewhere at a Starbucks near you in San Diego. And from there he never looked back. And when he showed up after winning the World Series and doing what he did last year for the Dodgers, when he showed up in spring training, he had all the swagger any other pitcher has in the major leagues. And you know what he's doing this year is he's dotting his fastball. Nobody ever said he did not have fastball command. But last year he just seemed like he was getting used to the baseball, just used to getting everything. Now he's dominated. He's a world champion. Let's not forget that with some of these guys. Tommy Edmund's a world champion, Yamamoto's a world champion, Mookie's a three time champion, Freddy's a two time champion. Ta Oscar, after coming up big during the regular season, came big during the postseason.
Speaker 3: He's a world champion.
Speaker 2: That means something, something that you can't quantify on a data sheet. That means something to that human being as far as confidence goes, and.
Speaker 3: That all applies to Yamamoto.
Speaker 2: In four starts to begin the year, yama Moto's era is now one twenty three after six scoreless innings and nine strikeouts. His whip is a zero point ninety one, which means he's not giving up a lot of hits, he's not giving up a lot of walks, and he's striking out a lot of guys like he did tonight. Nine strikeouts. He has twenty eight on the season. And you know what is a great telling sign about Yamamoto so far this year, It's that he's getting hitters to miss pitches in the strike zone. Hitters are only hitting one eighty nine against Yama Motos pitches that are in the strike zone coming into tonight.
Speaker 3: So all of that is.
Speaker 2: Why I believed Yamamoto was going to finish in the top three the Cy Young voting, even before he threw a single pitch in Tokyo. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And before we get to Tommy Edmund low Key under the radar, really good game tonight. Miguel Rojas who got the start at third base against the left hander Matthew Boyd. And I could tell you one of two things, actually probably three reasons why Dave Roberts started Miguel Rojas tonight at third base.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 2: Defense Number two, you give Max Munthcie a little bit of time to be able to take a breather. Number three, there's a lefty on the mound. Number four.
Speaker 3: It's about getting on base in that ninth spot.
Speaker 2: And I think we forget how good Lux and Rojas were at the bottom of the Dodgers lineup last year eight nine. On getting on base and turning that lineup over. Rojas was on base twice tonight, and he made a great base running decision later in the game when Mookie Betts beat out an infield single deep in the hole to Dansby Swanson. Rojas was standing at second base, but he understands and is a smart base runner. The plays in front of you easier throw to third if he just tries to go. Instead, he rushed back to second. Swanson's only hope to get an out was Mooki at first base. So low key, really good game. Miguel Rojas hitting ninth and playing third base. Now, Tommy Edmund, he has been everything and more the Dodgers could have hoped for going back to last year and especially this year. Hits his sixth home run of the year. I believe that ties Aaron Judge. I'm not sure Judge has hit another home run the last twenty four hours or last game or so, but he's right there with Aaron Judge as far as home run leaders in Major League Baseball. Tommy Edmund a three run, go ahead home run. He is one of the smartest players on the field. He's a goal glove winning second baseman. He's in a great spot now because he's relaxed. He has a contract extension. He's a world champion, He's an NLCSMVP. This guy is not only a great second baseman, he's a really good shortstop, and he's a really good center fielder. That fits the Dodgers perfectly. Here was Tommy after the game tonight. First of all, Tommy, you gave Yamamoto everything he needed.
Speaker 3: How good was he tonight?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He was unreal.
Speaker 5: You know, he's been pretty much automatic all year. You know, he's just going, you know, absolutely absolute control of domination. But it's fun to watch, fun to kind of think alongside him when I'm out there in the field and just see in the pitches he makes and his commands just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Feels like there's a lot more conviction. Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 5: You know, he knows what he's doing, knows what he wants to do with each hitter, and you know, he's just executing.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like seeing boyd more and more, you guys were starting to catch on to what his sequenccen was, whatever he was trying to do.
Speaker 5: I think just he just performed better more and more times. You see a guy, you know, second time through line up a little bit better, third time through lineup a little bit better. And I don't want to say we got to him, but we were able to scratch stretch across a few runs and that third time through the lineup, but he just did a good job kind of throughout the game up to that point.
Speaker 2: You keep hitting four hundred foot home runs, that Tommy Tanks nickname is gonna stick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 5: Not trying to do that, but you know, whatever happens happens.
Speaker 3: That's why it's special.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Tommy. Thank you get to see it all right. Good to see you too, Tommy.
Speaker 2: Great to see you, especially after hitting a four hundred and twenty three foot go ahead three run home run. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Cubs tonight by a final score of three zip.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Palmdale.
Speaker 2: Bruce, You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 7: Hey, what a BDV.
Speaker 6: I'm actually driving from the game, so I might miss the call at some point.
Speaker 3: The frenchie grooven back to Palmdale. It sounds like all right, Bruce drives safe.
Speaker 2: Who knows, maybe on that Grapevine five where it dies out, but it sounded like either he lost his voice or man, he had a good time at the game tonight. Let's go out to Abby. You're on Dodger Talk Live from the stadium. How you doing, Abbey?
Speaker 8: Hi? Game?
Speaker 9: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Everything's great?
Speaker 2: Happy to be back in La where temperatures are higher than forty degrees.
Speaker 8: Oh my gods.
Speaker 10: Honestly, let's just talk about Tommy Edmonds one more time. MVP man, such a good guy and he's just solid, solid, solid, you know.
Speaker 8: And thank you.
Speaker 10: For saying that about Mickey Rowe because I'm screaming my freaking tail off. He singles amazing and let's just please ya get that freaking cyang. I love him so much.
Speaker 3: All right, Abby, thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Cubs tonight three to nothing on Freddie Freeman bobblehead Night. Freddy, in his first game back off the IL, was zero for three with a run scored. He was at first base when Tommy Edmund hit that go ahead three run home run. Freddy got hit by a pitch by Matthew Boyd and Tiascar Hernandez had a single ahead of Freddy. That's how it turned into a three to nothing lead. Let's go out to lou in Phoenix. You're at Dodger Talk. How you doing, lou.
Speaker 11: Hey, Dave great to talk to you.
Speaker 12: And got back to the stadium.
Speaker 11: It was my first time back since the walk off Freddie home run. I was so pleased to be there, and.
Speaker 2: Really that was the last time you were at Dodger Stadium. That's a pretty cool story.
Speaker 11: I remember in the off season you said, tell your Freddie Freeman walk off story. I was so fortunate to be there with my good friends, and I have to tell you you said everything about yamamotive, but what I was most top pressed tonight was the way he offs his off speed, you know, moving his speeds around seventy one seventy three. Then he throws this ninety five ninety five mile an hour, I mean, and the way he went after Tucker tonight with that strikeout I think was in the sixth I mean, you could just see that he wanted to strike out Tucker. And he's just a much different pitcher this year. So thanks for identifying that earlier in the year, and we appreciate everything you do for a TV.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you, Lou. Appreciate the phone call. Pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Last time he was at Dodger Stadium was for Freddy's walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series, and tonight we celebrated that with the bobblehead.
Speaker 3: So I like those stories.
Speaker 2: And like I said during spring training, I don't care if the Dodgers win ten to nothing, get beat up eleven to nothing. I will never get tired of hearing your stories of where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam. I love hearing the stories of where people were when Kurk Gibson hit his walk off home run in nineteen eighty eight. And I'll never get tired of hearing about where you were when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series. Let's go out to Howard in Porterville. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Howard doing good?
Speaker 12: Doing good? Good to talk to you again, my friends. I just had a couple of a few comments. If that's okay. I think the fans need to give Max Monthsey a break. He's a great ball player. I think it's a good thing that the Dodger management does not consult the fans on personnel decision. I think the Dodger management, Dave Roberts and Andrew Friedman and the rest of his staff, they know better who to put on the field than people who have little or no baseball experience.
Speaker 8: Not to foal.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's that's a little harsh.
Speaker 2: I appreciate what you and other fans have to say, but yeah, I agree with you. It was getting a little bit too much for me on that last road trip. As far as people come in after Max Munsey, eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Another low key Dodger performance tonight was Kirby Yates, who came in after Yamamotos scoreless six to keep the Cubs down for a scoreless seventh inning and in the process striking out two more batters. The reason why I bring that up Kirby Yates so far to start the year has only thrown seven and a third innings, but has fifteen strikeouts. Hitters are only hitting one fifty four. That's another pretty good pickup during this offseason. And speaking of the bullpen, just to shout out to the Dodgers Dogs from last year's World Series Championship. They led by Blake Trinen, met Ryan Braser who's now on the Cubs in front of the Cubs dugout and they had Ryan Brazier's twenty twenty four World Series rings. So that was really cool to see how the guys organized to go out there all together to present Ryan Brasier with his ring. And part of the reason why Ryan Brazier has that ring is because of World Series MVP Freddie Freeman, who was back in the starting lineup tonight on his babblehead night with his family out here. It was a special night for the Freemans, but especially for Freddy that he was back in the lineup up after being on the IL for the first time since twenty seventeen. Yeah, that was the last time Freddy's been on the IL, but he certainly should have.
Speaker 3: Been on there to begin the year. But he wants to be out there.
Speaker 2: He takes a lot of pride in that, and maybe that slip in the shower was a blessing in disguise because it gave Freddy that opportunity to give that right ankle, which was surgically repaired during the offseason, a little chance to just catch its breadth. Here was Freddy before today's game, just talking about where he's at and accepting the fact that, yeah, there might be days where the right ankle is inflamed and he's gonna have to take a day off.
Speaker 13: I do think it will be not day to day, but I think maybe series of series, like how I feel on Sunday on my third game in a row, How do I feel on Monday? So I do feel really good, but I will in my mind, I'm coming in playing every game, and then if they go like hey, or like how do you feel? Maybe my joint is a little complaining from playing five games in a row or something like that, maybe we be smart about it to make sure I make it through. I would be open to that, but in my mind right now, I'm going every.
Speaker 4: Game until something told me otherwise. I look at it.
Speaker 13: I had surgery on my ankles. It's not my age. It's not like it's an age thing. I rolled my ankle and I tore our ligaments on the left side and the right side and chipped off carlage and I had surgery four months ago, so I'm not looking at it as an age thing. I feel like I keep myself in great shape. I feel like I was playing really good, playing good baseball before I got the little mishap. I guess you could say age of falling in a bathtub, maybe that could be it, but I feel good. I wouldn't say this is an age injury. I just hurt myself trying to ampoid it. Tag it for space.
Speaker 3: I agree with Freddy.
Speaker 2: Anybody that's going to insinuate the reason why he's hurt his right ankle is because of age, I completely disagree.
Speaker 3: Freddy hasn't missed a beat.
Speaker 2: If he was too old, he wouldn't have been able to even play during the host season last year. So not only did he fight through a right ankle injury, but also he had the left rib issue as well. So you know it's we're not talking about Albert Pooholz at the end of his career. Here, there's a lot more baseball left for Freddie Freeman. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to the phones. Lauren, you're on Dodger Talk. Yes, you did not win anything, Lauren, all you're going to.
Speaker 3: Do is talk to me.
Speaker 9: Hi, Dave, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Got to see my guy Justin Turner today. The Dodgers won, so it was a good Friday.
Speaker 9: We didn't we were there, so it's me and my girl Audrey were here heading back home.
Speaker 8: Hey, Audrey, we were kind of bummed.
Speaker 9: We were bumbed. But JT didn't kind of get his moment. And I know he's not a Dodger and I know it's been a long time, but I guess he's just still our one of our favorites.
Speaker 3: And he got his moment.
Speaker 2: Last year when he came in, when he came in with his team last year, they gave him jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope he gets into one of these two games because he's probably not going to start with two right handers starting the next two days. But yeah, it would be cool to have a Dodger vision. Put the camera on Justin Turner in the Cubs dugout one of the next two games, so he could be celebrated by Lauren and Audrey and the rest of the fans.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then one thing, so Yoshi was lights out beautiful performance. He's looking really really he was looking really good tonight. But also I want to highlight Tommy Edmund. I feel like we have the stars, we have the show. Hey, we have Fridy Freeman, we have Mookie bet and Teo. But man Edmund is fantastic, just touch at all the right times, his offense, his defense. He's just like the low key player that I feel like Dodgers are known for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he is kind of the same type of ilk from the key k Chris Taylor satility department.
Speaker 3: But he is a really good player and low key.
Speaker 2: Him and Tioscar Hernandez have been probably the most consistent Dodgers to begin the year. Hey, I got a run, we got a full boarder calls. Thanks a lot for calling in. Call back anytime. Eight six six nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number, Richard, I see you in the parking lot.
Speaker 3: Is that you and your break break lights on?
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, that is me.
Speaker 7: You've got great vision.
Speaker 3: What do you got tonight, Richard?
Speaker 8: You know, mister David, last time we talked was I believe the first game of the NLDS. We were talking about Tommy and how great he was, and that still holds true today. But today, you know, Kirby Yates, Tanner Scott, I've got to admit I didn't know too much about him coming in, you know, to the new season, but from what they've done so far, it's just been it's just been lights out.
Speaker 7: It's just been great.
Speaker 8: And they they came in after Yoshi and had his back. It was amazing. Freddy Freddy got hit a couple of times. I'm not sure. I'm not too sure how I or not. Actually a couple of times, just once and then somebody else got hit. I forgot who it was, and I'm not too sure how I feel about that, but I'm still grateful that we got to win. I'm really excited about Yoshi. You know, he came in, he dominated, and that got me thinking a little bit about mister Rokie.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 8: I know he didn't have the greatest debut, but neither did Yoshie, and look at him. Now they've all come back and they and I really have faith that they're gonna, you know, come back and shut it down for us. I really feel great about what we have and I really feel great about what we're doing, and I just I like the direction of going and I still have faith in everyone. Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: All right, Richard, get home safe.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tommy, Edmond also got hit by a pitch, so you're right. Two Dodgers got hit tonight, but nothing intentional. Don't try to start drama here, there's no drama. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we continue more of your phone calls. And also we'll hear from Justin Turner about what he thinks of this twenty twenty five version of the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: And we're also check in with Jose Mota as well.
Speaker 2: So a lot to get to between now and eleven o'clock on this beautiful Friday night in the City of Angels. After the Dodgers shut out the Cubs thread to nothing on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy, LA sports dot Com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basseying.
Speaker 7: Boy looks back at the oscar comes home, Edmond.
Speaker 3: Swing tih fly ball.
Speaker 14: Left feeling deep this ball's going back gone. Tommy Tanks goes back, play on the pavilion and.
Speaker 3: We are scoreless.
Speaker 2: No more, Tommy Edmund give an ever everybody a thrill, including Steven Nelson. As the Dodgers shut out the Cubs three to nothing. Tonight, Yamamoto brilliant six score of sinnings with nine strikeouts. And how about this for Yamamoto As the Dodgers beat the Cubs three to nothing, Yama Moto threw one hundred and three pitches. That's the second highest total of pitches he has thrown in his short major league career. The most was last June one hundred and six at Yankee Stadium. That was a peak of things to come in the World Series. Daniels Jewelers, they present the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card predicting the number of home runs in the very next game.
Speaker 3: Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take one more phone call before we hear from Justin Turner and check in with Jose Mota Alex, you were at the game tonight.
Speaker 3: How you doing. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Good?
Speaker 14: How you doing, David? Good to hear from you. Manage. I'll tell you what year, absolutely game one. Last year I was there for the walk off. This time around, I brought my seven year old son. We weren't gonna miss this one. We were at the show, hey with the walk off on the Bibbleheads. Not too long ago. We were hoping we would get a Freddie Freeman home run, but we will settle for Tommy Tanks three run shot. When it was zero zero six inning, everybody in the stands were kind of you know, little buzz was there, but we weren't worried about it. We knew that our team, of our camaraderie, we were just gonna come through. The defense was playing well.
Speaker 7: I know, we get a little little.
Speaker 14: You know, little rift rap on the defense, but they stepped up tonight. A lot of people ain't talking about that play on second base.
Speaker 7: When Tom story about.
Speaker 3: Where you were for Freddy's Grand Slam, not recap.
Speaker 14: The whole Freddie's Grand Slam. We were behind about seven rows behind first base. We got a last minute ticket, man, you.
Speaker 3: Know, load level reserve.
Speaker 7: Where were you at lower level?
Speaker 14: About seven rows back from first base? Dugout?
Speaker 3: Oh, I had a good view. You had a great view.
Speaker 14: You had a good view. It was a hooky jumping up and down over there everything. Yeah, I got that on Instagram. We got about eight thousand likes on that one. It's still up there.
Speaker 2: Oh, like, man, that's amazing, Alex, thank you for the phone call. That's a true validation of that moment. You got eight thousand likes on Instagram. Well, all of a sudden, that grand slam means that much more. Thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Is that what it's come down to.
Speaker 2: People are trying to validate their videos with likes, the number of likes.
Speaker 3: I'm not chasing likes. I'm not chasing likes.
Speaker 2: I'm chasing other things, but I'm not chasing likes, all right, justin Turner, He's not chasing likes.
Speaker 3: People love him in Los Angeles. Seek to wear a Red.
Speaker 2: Sox uniform, a Blue Jay uniform, and even a Cubs uniform, and everybody in LA still loves him. You heard that caller earlier. They all wanted to see Justin Turner on the big screen. Hopefully that happens the next two nights, And we had a chance to catch up with Justin on the pregame show, and I was curious to get his thoughts on the Dodgers off season and this version of the Dodgers in twenty twenty five from your perspective, What do you think about this version of the Dodgers the last couple of years?
Speaker 4: Hey, is a commitment to winning.
Speaker 15: You know, there's rules, the same rules are in play for everyone.
Speaker 4: And I don't I think it's great. I think it's great for the game to.
Speaker 15: Have owners that you know, are all in and want to go out and make their team as.
Speaker 4: Good as they can possibly make it.
Speaker 15: And it doesn't matter how many top tier free agents are out there, they want to bring them all in. And I with you know, the success the Dodgers have had over the years. Uh, you know a lot of guys you don't want to come and be a part of it.
Speaker 4: So, you know, it's good to see.
Speaker 15: You kind of hope that more teams will you know, fall in line to you know, competing in the free agent market and trying to make their team as competitive as possible as well, But you never know what's going to happen. I've heard all kinds of stuff and all kinds of takes and angles on it. But you know, the rules are the rules, and they're playing by the rules. So you know, if you don't like it, you know, maybe following their footsteps.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bryce Sharper said that in Philadelphia, whoever complains about it has a loser mentality.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree with Bryce.
Speaker 15: I think you know, the goal should be if you if you in this game any capacity, the goal should be every year, no matter who you are, no matter what city you're in, no matter what uniform you're wearing. Uh, every off season, the goal should be to win a world championship. And uh, you know, I guess on paper it appears that some teams are you know, more hungry for that than others.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Justin Turner and his take on the twenty twenty five Dodgers and just the team, the machine that they have built. He obviously knows how committed the Dodgers ownership is to winning. He was a part of it for almost ten years. So no sour grapes from Justin Turner's side, He's all in for anybody that wants to try to win because he's a winner and that's why he signed with the Cubs. And if you would love to hear our full conversation with World Series Champion Justin Turner, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Time to check in with another fellow cal State Fullerton Titan.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota played college baseball at cal State Fullerton many years, many many years before Justin.
Speaker 6: Hi, Jose, how old does that make me?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 6: Dave?
Speaker 3: Very old?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 6: But you know what, Titans know how to win rings and I got the ring.
Speaker 3: Brother, that's right, so does JT.
Speaker 2: J T one of those few guys that has a college World Series ring and World Series ring.
Speaker 6: That's beautiful. That's beautiful. You know what is good to hear from JT. He's such a big part of the you know, the whole thing that started with him and that the whole group and I bet and talking to him, he feels like he was actually part of the winning championship last year. It's so special.
Speaker 2: It certainly was. How about Yamamoto. He's really special this year. Jose, You like my big man Cy Young top three maybe number one.
Speaker 6: You told me that in the press box as we're doing an interview at Salt River Fields. He sase top three and you asked me what was going to be the key, and you're like, don't tell me about health. I'm like, no, he's going to be starting pitching and starting pitching with a falter. You see all bad it gets when they're good, and it's beautiful. Yeah, I'm moulto number one. I noticed in the first setting the bad against Tucker, who has been one of the best hitters in baseball this year. He's pitching on different lanes. What I mean is usually a left had it pitch left handed hitters. You'll see him miss a lot, and he wants that chase on the splitter down in a way. He threw Tucker one down and end, which is something that he learned last year from Senga, and that opens up another lane. So he gets Tucker finally with what a fastball. So he he is just a guy that's remastering his craft at the big league level. You mentioned the fact all the things he's getting used to but uh, Dave, he comes out there and pitches with a belief that everything he throws is going to be in the zone and everything he throws is going to be missed. And on top of that, you mentioned something so important too that now we keep try with so many things in the zone. The average is so low under two hundred. But remember the zone is Dutch just you know, two or three inches. He knows where to go to in the zone to make sure that there's more swings and misses or weak contact because the guy I understand how to pitch that square.
Speaker 2: I don't remember seeing a picture in a long time Jose being able to dot those corners with the fastball. Does that just come from having more conviction behind it? I mean, we heard about the fastball command, But like I said, he's darting. He's hitting bullseyes in a dark game right now.
Speaker 6: Oh, just look at his eyes. I'm going to tell the viewers' listeners watch his eyes when he delivers the baseball. There's no blinking and there's no looking elsewhere about the target when he's delivering the pitch. That's number one. Number two is he is able to follow his catcher and then repeatable mechanics, the simplest mechanics, unorthodox. It worked for him and that is why he's able to dog the fastball the way he does.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is jointing us on Dodger talk after the Dodgers shut out the Cubs three to nothing. All right, I'll give you your platform here to sing the praises.
Speaker 3: Of Tommy Edmund like we all are tonight, Jose.
Speaker 6: Tommy Edmund is a ball player. Tommy Edmond, the kind of guy that the Cardinals regret not having paid more attention to. Also, at the same time, it goes back to the Dodgers doing their due diligence on players that fit the mold and fit the personality and the culture, and just insisting on a guy that was hurt. He was hurt, and the guys acquired him, but they want him him for a long time. Understands the game, understands his role does not change his mentality on whether he's hitting first or ninth, or fourth or fifth, and also understands that it is not just up to him but boy in terms of maturing and learning and applying something else to his game. He knew that with the stands Chitch selection and all the things the Dodgers have provided for him. His resources, he is applied as good as anybody I've ever seen on the profile that he brought to really bring his game to another level. I truly apply that because it's another testament of a guy that truly comprehends who he is as a player, but also knows that there's another level and we are seeing it. Tommy tanks him played.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know we always talk about outfielders being five tool players, but I feel like you could describe Tommy Edmond as a five tool player as well in a different way.
Speaker 6: Oh there's no reason why not. I'm talking about this today with Louis Cruise on the broadcast. He made it throw from center field the other day at ninety two miles an hour. This doesn't play in the d for the entire year. It's cold and tough to grab a baseball. He makes it throw the home play, and it's unreal way he plays the game, base running anticipation the great play that he made. Also you know, going to his leb, but also you know the defense and how important he is for that piece the Dodgers. Tommy tanks out there. The cutoff play today was so important, even though he's not involved, it was pretty much aligning him with the gap and what he needed to do to make sure the guys were properly aligned to make that play where they cut down, you know, Suzubi trying to go around first base. So he does influence the game in many, many ways. I'm so glad that he's Warren Blue.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, look forward to seeing you back at the ball tomorrow. We'll see what Sazaki can do to build upon his last start.
Speaker 6: Pay attention to uh Yamamoto.
Speaker 3: That's all okay, sounds good. Yeah, that sounds like good advice. Jose. Yeah, why not?
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. Yeah, you know, watch Yamamoto, watch how he commands his fastball and everything else plays off of it. Let's take another phone call Daniel, who is still in the Dodger parking lot. I don't think so anymore.
Speaker 7: How you doing, Daniel, I'm doing good, Dave. I just left. But hey, this parking this year is kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: H I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean there's a lot of people coming to games staying the whole game, you know, what's the difference, Daniel. You know, when we came to Dodger games, even like ten years ago, they weren't everybody wasn't staying for all nine innings. Now everybody is staying for all nine innings because not only can you watch the game, there's a lot of other things to do at Dodger Stadium as well, so everybody stays.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dave, I was watching the game with my brother. It's his first time watching the game and filling out his scorecard. Who's looking at all the caves and the backwards case. But we also noticed how Yamamoto flat footed during warm up is just like launching the ball across the field. I don't know if I've ever seen any other player do that, just flat footed. That's insane.
Speaker 3: They used to do it all the time.
Speaker 2: Long tossing was a big part of a lot of great pittures routine, and that's a good way to do it. I mean, Sandy Kofax always used to talk about as a pitcher, you want to throw more and throw further distances and long toss because he used the analogy as a marathon runner, you're not training for that marathon by running sprints. Your training by running marathons, and that would, you know, make a lot of sense. And Japanese pitchers throw a lot more over there than they do now in Major League baseball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I think Kershaw do it. But the way just Yamamoto, the way like he's just launching it like a straight line is insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe those arrows that he uses. You should see that during his off day routine. That's pretty impressive as well too. Thanks for the phone call, Daniel, appreciate it. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. If you did not get in tonight, call back tomorrow. We'll be here for another hour after the game hour plus here.
Speaker 3: At Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: After tomorrow night's game, it will be Roki Sazaki's fourth start of his major league career. Last start, he went four plus innings, allowed just three hits and only two walks. He's going up against Ben Brown. Yes, still that Ben Brown of the Cubs. One in one with an ERA of seven seventy one. You would say this matchup would favor the Dodgers. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck begins at five o'clock, first pitch at six' ten and how about can we get a shot Of Justin turner one of these next two. NIGHTS i mean him coming off the bench as a pinch. Hitter it's not a, guarantee not a. Guarantee so we'd love to give the fans what they, want and that's to Celebrate Justin turner.
Speaker 3: Again all.
Speaker 2: Right thanks To Colin yee back at Our burbank, Studios thanks To dwayne McDonald out here At Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Stadium and thanks to you for.
Speaker 2: Listening in case you missed any of the show or our conversation With Justin, turner you can find it on The iHeartRadio. App once, again the final score From Dodgers. Stadium The dodgers beat The cubs again, tonight thread to.
Speaker 3: Nothing we'll talk to you.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow have a great rest of Your, Friday be, safe see them.
Speaker 9: Sometime The dronndos lived up