Speaker 1: CBS suspends former Dallas quarterback Tony Romo indefinitely from the booth. JJ Watt to take over. What's that all about in the man cave? Part of what we'll talk about also chasing a serial killer. When we get to author's corner, I'm Kate Deliny, But first we swing into the rundown here at the top of America tonight. Yea, the Washington State fires have destroyed hundreds of buildings and for Spokane area residents to evacuate. The evacuation numbers are staggering. Sixty seven thousand people under the EVAK orders. About seven hundred buildings now officially have been destroyed, a number that they think will continue to climb.
Speaker 2: I mean the.
Speaker 1: Fires jumped roads and rivers. It's burned twelve point five square miles by Monday night. The sky is filled with smoke and haze, which I wish I had better descriptions to throw out there. But people are really dealing with charged that's covered yards. In some cases you've got just a chimney or two that is left standing that wasn't lost on this one man who doesn't think his heart can take it, and he won't come back.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm going to rebuild here because I don't ever want to have to relive a fire coming up this hill again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the horrible side of that. And there are such an amazing amount of firefighters that are on the scene there, spread out across those distances, trying to do what they can to contain it. And if only they would get more water, if there would be massive rain or something that would certainly help, the containment is very very low at the point. Meanwhile, there are allegations against Congressman Max Miller, and there are a lot of Republicans that are keeping their distance as you get ready for the midterms. He's accused of abuse, and he says he's not stepping a side and the abuse specifically is centered around his young child. So the congressman from Ohio went to x to address the allegations that he did abuse his daughter.
Speaker 4: I have never abused our daughter.
Speaker 5: Before I go.
Speaker 4: Through the facts with you today, understand one thing. Every one of these allegations traces back to a single source. My former wife. I filed for divorce in August of twenty twenty four. That October, she admitted under oath that I had never harmed our daughter. Every accusation has come since, So ask yourself, what is continuing to change.
Speaker 6: Not the facts.
Speaker 4: There's never been evidence of any kind. What changed, Ladies and gentlemen, were the stakes. The first report came thirteen days after our shared parenting plan was entered. The next one came in February of twenty twenty six, in the heat of our custody fight, days before a court granted me a protection order against her. Her most extreme accusations are the ones that had to deal with child abuse, and they frame me as an abuser, timed and every time again to our custody dispute. In politics, and not one of these allegations has ever been substantiated by any court or any agency.
Speaker 2: Wow, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: It doesn't sound like he's stepping aside at all.
Speaker 2: The reflecting pond.
Speaker 1: That is what so many people were talking about in Washington, and it continues. Janine Pyro, who is the Piro rather, who is the Attorney General in d c. Her Justice Department, submitted a court filing heading into the weekend to dismiss vandalism charges against sixty seven year old olympian David Hearn, saying the Interior Department incorrectly attributed damage in the pools lying to vandalism, and that the evidence showed contractor error and a botched installation actually were to blame. The President didn't like hearing that, and.
Speaker 7: I was disappointed with Janey Pirou, really disappointed with Jannine Pierrot. She folded like an umbrella, and people get away with things. It's a disgrace.
Speaker 8: But these monuments look better than they did when they were originally built, not just a little fix up. We made them the way they were plus and everyone's so proud. The biggest one of the bigger jobs was not really the biggest, limit enough, but one of the biggest was the reflecting pool, and we did a great job. So now I'm not saying I was one hundred percent thrilled with the contractor, but the contractor was rushing.
Speaker 9: We wanted to get it open for July fourth, and.
Speaker 8: We got it done.
Speaker 9: But in addition, there was vandalism, and we weren't necessarily thrilled with the contractor, but they did a job and they were fixing any problems. But then it got carried away because the judge was extremely unfriendly to Janine and Frankly, I think she choked because the judge was really vicious.
Speaker 1: What's really vicious is what's happening in seven different states when it comes to water and cyber attacks. Plymouth, Minnesota was one of several towns affected. Here's Michael Thompson, that city's public works director.
Speaker 5: When an event like this comes up, where we can run in manual operations just to ensure the quality and quantity of water is not affected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, changing passwords getting in that is pretty frightening, and the backup systems and anything they can do to lock it out. And luckily, it could have been a bigger disaster for a lot of these places. And I think the red flag is definitely waved when it comes to that, no question about it.
Speaker 2: Are we moved to?
Speaker 1: Sadly what happened at in an Altburger in Twin Falls, Idaho. At least three people died and seven other were injured too, still critically in the hospital. The victims included employees and customers. The suspect was identified as twenty four year old Chad Williams, who is found dead near the restaurant from a self inflicted good gun wound. Rather and one of the things that happened was there was a good samaritan who was grabbed his gun and all what was happening, and went after the twenty four year old and that kind of shook things up, and he wasn't firing at the cars then after that, and there was an off duty police officer who also was on the scene, and that probably saved a bunch of lives.
Speaker 2: Not lost on the sheriff.
Speaker 10: These people are true heroes in our community and their actions diverted the shooter and no doubt saved many lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really scary to hear one woman's description of how crazy it was when that unfolded. It was just mass chaos.
Speaker 5: The attention was everybody running from in and out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: I mean, all of a sudden, there's somebody who just methodically is slowly walking, has a long gun, starts to shoot and you're in your car, And that's how people described it. I mean, just terrifying. Will they find a motive? Who knows? There is a search for trying to figure out what that is, but so far nothing has come up. By the way, an update on the Spokane fires, Deputies have arrested a man on an arson charge in connection with one of the fires. The fire officials say they're investigating the cause of all of the fires, of course, but at least they have the one and they'll they see where that goes, and they.
Speaker 2: Continue to obviously investigate.
Speaker 1: All right. Coming up next, we're gonna hit the man Cave, giving you some of those Major League Baseball scores and some of the happenings all around in the world of sports. On the flip side with me Kate Delaney here on America tonight.
Speaker 3: Let's see if something costs less a lot less, but people are actually happier with it. That sounds like something to look into, and that's meta Share. Maybe you've heard joining meta share can save you or your family up to five hundred bucks a month, and that's huge, but it's also true. People are just happier with it. They love being part of something that reflects and promotes their values and what they believe in. Meta Share works too. It's been around for thirty years now and members have shared more than seven billion dollars of each other's bills. People love having telehealth and a huge nationwide PPO network. You can save a ton and like it better imagine being happy with how you're taking care of your health care. Whether you're self employed or part of the gig economy, or you just want to plan that you're happy with.
Speaker 11: Here you go.
Speaker 3: You can call right now and get a price within two minutes, a very smart use of two minutes. Here's the number you need. It's eight five five Share, forty eight five five Share, forty eight five five Share, forty eight five five share forty.
Speaker 12: Lisa Wolf here to tell you about our newest website for old time radio lovers. It's one hundred Radio Shows dot com. At this site there are five old time radio shows waiting for you to download free. Is our gift to you, and be sure to browse the additional seven hundred old time radio shows available to you for seventy percent off by using the promo code radio at checkout. This is a limited time offer, so log on to one hundred Radio Shows dot com. That's one zero zero radio shows dot com.
Speaker 13: At Hotshot Secret, we share the science behind common diesel problems. For example, sticktion engine oil can break down under extreme heat, leaving behind varnish, a carbon based deposit that creates drag on the engines moving parts This sticky friction is stiiction. Symptoms include a rough idol and the loss of fuel economy and performance. Hotshot Secret Stiiction Eliminator is formulated to be left in the engine. It works as you drive. Stiction Eliminator is available at truck Stops, Tractor Supply, Riley's Autoparts, and online at Hotshotsecret dot com.
Speaker 14: Crime across the country is at an all time high. It feels like even a family road trip is taking a risk. We don't want the feeling of being unprotected and vulnerable. We found gets CCL dot com. Get ccl dot com give us the help we needed to apply for a legal concealed carry permit that's recognized in over half of the country. Get ccl dot com simplifies the process to apply, and it's all online. We used their free qualification process to answer a few questions and applied for our permit right from home. Thanks to reciprocity laws between states, when you're issued a new Hampshire concealed carry permit, you can legally carry in any state that recognizes your New Hampshire permit. It only takes minutes to apply, so don't wait. Exercise your rights today. Ensure you're protecting your family at home and in other states. Have peace of mind. Apply today.
Speaker 11: Go to GETCCL dot com. That's get CCL dot com.
Speaker 14: Go to GETCCL dot com. Exercise your rights today.
Speaker 11: Go to get CCL dot com.
Speaker 10: I'm going to the Man Cave.
Speaker 5: I'll go in to the MA Cave.
Speaker 10: Going to the MA Cave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are in the Man the Cave, and there are a lot of things that are happening.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get to Major League Baseball scores.
Speaker 1: There's some exciting movements when it came to the trading deadline, but we started this. CBS announced last week that Tony Romo would be taken in indefinitely following his arrest for suspecion of suspicion rather of oh WI while driving in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and it was announced that JJ Watt would be moving up to the number one NFL in game analyst role, working alongside Jim Nance and Tracy Wolfson. It's unclear if or when Romo will return. Ten years ago, he signed one hundred and eighty million dollar contract with CBS and he's oh seventy two million, but they these contracts have morals clauses, So who knows. It's up in the air, I would say, And it may just be that JJ watt has that has that spot. But we'll see. The only thing that was said was that it was an indefinite suspension, so you know, glean from that what you will. But here we are in training camps, so before you know it will be swinging into those first games.
Speaker 2: Hard to believe, right that we're that close.
Speaker 1: We are knocking on the door of that all right trade deadline for winners and losers, And I guess it depends on your perspective. But there's some obvious things that happen. It's like the Dodgers. They can stack the deck like nobody.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Of course they get the biggest, they got the richest. They they just did. And I talked about this a little bit in our previous man Cave. But Tariq's scuball uh is the is the guy you know that he was a necessity to put into that lineup when it comes to the rotation. I mean, could could you get anyone better that would fit in there? And and and and it's him and so there you go. Whether or not that all meshes will see.
Speaker 2: But Uh this.
Speaker 1: You know, he goes from fighting for any kind of postseason too being able to pitch for a World Series contender, and and there you go when it comes to free agency. Doesn't get any better that, uh than that, That's that's for sure. So to me, they they probably overall did the absolute best. And then you have the Red Sox. They got Adlie Rutschman, and that's pretty big when you talk about, you know, the move there. The Orioles set a sky high asking price and the Red Sox said, okay, and he's on the injured list with a wrist problem. But this is somebody that when you talk about packing a punch. Look, look he is probably the best position player traded at the deadline. So that was I think a shocker to a lot of people, a big shocker.
Speaker 2: The Yankees, they had a bunch of needs.
Speaker 1: They needed a right hitting outfielder, They needed bullpen help, that's always really big. They needed a righty hitting catcher. They got a couple of those things. They got Ramos, a right hitting outfielder, and they did bring in Luis Garcia Junior who will help the offense. But there were some other things they didn't get to do. They didn't really overwork. You know, they didn't do anything to help their overworked bullpen. They didn't get any help there, so that's not good. The Cubs needed help with arms and they got them. So they also did pretty well there. I would say they got Clay Holmes and you know, Kevin Gosman also, that was a good pickup. And they needed help in the rotation. And so those two will do that their postseason vets, and that's what the Cubbies need if they're gonna go deep and we're gonna see them further in the in the postseason.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: I think in this whole thing, something that will be written about or right, if I was a sports writer and I was covering him specifically or covering baseball, this is what.
Speaker 2: I would write about. I think the greatest, one of.
Speaker 1: The greatest players in baseball is on the losingest loser team. Mike Trout. I mean, rebuild, rebuild, Well, we'll.
Speaker 2: Do it again. I mean how long does that does he stick around for?
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: So, Mike Trout is he turns thirty five this week and he's stuck with the Angels through thick and thin, a lot of thin, a lot of thin, and you know, so here he is again. So now you go back to an off season and this is a team.
Speaker 2: What are they like?
Speaker 1: They have forty three wins and so this is a future Hall of Famer who is on a team that is going nowhere fast. And to me, that is a really sad situation. I would like to see him with a better chance and move to another team. But he has massive a massive loyalty thing too, So I guess good for them. He's definitely a fan draw, there's no question. There's no question about that. All right, let's jump to Major League Baseball scores.
Speaker 2: Can we hear that again? What are the Cardinals doing? They're eating their weedies.
Speaker 1: Cardinals blew out the Yankees thirteen to seven. Oh, they had been on a terrible hurdle in the hurdling in the wrong direction, but forget about that.
Speaker 2: Things have changed.
Speaker 1: Alec Burlson hit three homers and they just completely outslugged and outplayed the Yankees after losing the six fron lead. So good for the Cardinals. They were able. Here's the bottom line. It's about winning. They were able to get it done, and they got it done. Yeah, absolutely, so good on them. Number fifty six for the Cardinals on the season, the Phillies picked up number sixty. They beat the National three Pirates had the Brewers number four to three the final, Spencer Horwitz hit a three run double and the Pirates extended really what could be described as their dominance over the Brewers this season. So they beat them again in the opener of a four game series.
Speaker 2: Check this out.
Speaker 1: Pittsburgh has won six of seven games against the NL Central leading Brewers this season. So Brewers got to come up with some answers. I would say, all right, the Dodgers, as I said, who scored so big when it comes to the trading deadline? They didn't score so big at Wrigley The Cubs doubled them up ten to five final there, and the fans were loving that because it was number sixty four for the Cubbies. They are definitely in the they are definitely in the thick of it, and the heart of their order came up big and that was part of the reason why they were able to hand the Dodgers their fourth consecutive lost. Michael Bush drove in three runs against his former team, helping Chicago improve to two and two on a seven game homestand the Cubs also pulled within five and a half games of Milwaukee. I told you what happened with Milwaukee losing to Pittsburgh, so they are getting a little help there. Giants beat the Rangers five to one. Blue Jays and the Astros and low scoring affair. Blue Jays pulled that out though, three to one. How about the Rays. The Rays are cooking with all kinds of gas on the road thirteen to nine over the Rockies, and they're going definitely in the right direction. They pick up number sixty six. Junior coming Era hit two home runs. Jonathan Randa also came up super big for the Rays, had four hits, and that was a good way for them to start that. Tampa Bay was pretty busy at the trading deadline themselves. They picked up a kettor in Liam Hicks from Miami and they also picked up a reliever, Tyler Wells from Baltimore. So good on the Rays because they have a really good young team.
Speaker 2: How about the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: They picked up number sixty out at Chase Field, knocking off the Padres five one. They two are trying to go in that right direction. Tim Tahwah hit a three run homer and they blasted past them, and they're thinking at least NL wildcard position, that's what that matchup would be about. The Diamondbacks are two games ahead of San Diego in the wildcard race in the NL, So coming around on that is big. Arizona's fourteen and six in their last twenty games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last twenty All right.
Speaker 1: NB eight News, what's really more conversation about the off season and everybody's still to talk about Lebron James and how he vaulted the seventy six ers into the top five, and looking at predictions for what is you know, what's Opening Night gonna look like? And you know it's the Knicks versus the seventy six ers.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be a good one to be at, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the predictions for Opening Night anyway, because usually the raining NBA champs play somebody pretty good. Last year, Oklahoma City faced the Houston Rockets in their first game of the season. So we'll see if that's what happens. I'd love to be at that game, all right, hang with us. I'll meet you on the flip.
Speaker 2: On the show office corner.
Speaker 1: See well, I am so pleased to welcome to this show, Frank Ashley. He is somebody who's had an amazing career and has I think helped so many people who lost loved ones frankly and also probably has helped so many people in warning them what to look out for. And when I say that he's had a long career, just retired in law enforcement, in fact, he is partly responsible, definitely responsible for capturing one of America's most dangerous serial killers, Gary Ridgway, who's part of a huge task force. It's forty investigators. They work tirelessly day and night. So imagine what he brings to the table when he writes a novel, A Birthday to Die For because of his background, all of that expertise. It's a psychological crime thriller that is out there and you can't put it down. You just can't put it down. And we had an off air conversation that just left me wanting more, and I know that all of you will want to hear what Frank has to say. So Frank, thanks so much for coming on.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So first of all, let's talk about what made you jump into lawn enforcement in the first place well.
Speaker 5: I was in the Navy when right out of high school and in the Navy, I was taking correspondence course through LA Police Department, which led me to Riverside City Police Department, where I worked for eight years, which also was one of the first times I had a confrontation with satanic cult situation. But wow, so May one of nineteen sixty four, I took the old to be a Riverside City Police officer. The oath was to protect and serve and there is no expiration data on so even though I'm retired, I still feel the obligation to protect people when I can. The fact is that I was an active police officer for thirty three years. During that period of time, I was a homicide investigator for twelve years, during which time I investigated approximately thirty five death investigations. And I've also been a supervisor's detective sergeant on the Green River Task Force. When I transferred from Riverside up to the King County Sheriff's Department out of Seattle, where I've had the exposure to investigating death investigations for so many years. I also included the Green River serial murder case where forty eight women were killed in the state of Washington. I also was on the sidelines andlearned a lot during the Ted Bunny investigation. So when I was on the task force and I was tying up some loose ends, I got a phone call from a doctor. Turns out she was a psychologist and she had a patient just that morning had called her and a panic tone says she was going to be killed. Well, the doctor took time to talk to her to try and calm her down, but persuade her to come directly to her office where they talked and it was revealed that this woman was now just three weeks away from her twenty sixth birthday, the time at which she was so supposed to be sacrificed in place of a baby that she had miscarried thirteen years earlier. She it appears at thirteen years When she was thirteen years old, she was introduced to a Satanic cult by a foster mother. She was raped by a high priest, and as she was held down by other members of the cult, she delivered a baby, only to have it the miscarried, and therefore she was threatened by the high priest that shot her twenty sixth birthday thirteen years later she would take the place of her baby.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, So Frank you get that call?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 5: Well? It was first I had my doubts. I asked the doctor did she recorded any of her sessions with their patient, and she had, so she agreed to show it to me. So I went to her office and watched one of the sessions and even COMPLI kate the issue even more. As I'm watching this woman on a seat on the coutle, her legs tucked up under her as she talked, it sounded like her voice changed three different times. And as I got more into the interview, I could tell that there were three different personalities, and that was confirmed by the doctor. What was confusing was the one personality that seemed to be the dominant one seemed to be just like I was talking to the victim and getting a straight story. But then another personality would pop in and call the first personality a liar. And then the third personality was the peacekeeper between these other two personalities. So the confusion was quite rapid in this investigation, and it wasn't helping me dispelled my skepticism regarding the the story I was but I could not ignore it. It was it was too risky. The woman is saying she's going to be killed in about three weeks. Time is running short. And if I'm going to say this scal I've got to solve it. I've got to identify the cult members. So it was quite confusing. I had the pressure of that had the pressure of the multiple personalities, and I had to work out a code system with the doctor to realize which personality I was talking to at the time, and I was done by holding up one, two, or three fingers to tell us which one it was.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow. So I had the pressure was on me because my experience was always you know, investigating the homicides of our people were already dead. Now I've got a walking victim. If I don't saw this case within the three week period, there's a strong likelihood she's going to be dead as well. So the pressure was on. And as I got into the investigation, I realized there was nobody I could trust. I didn't know there were so many people in our society that tended to lean that way. I was afraid to talk to just anybody because if they did, they could maybe talk to somebody from the occult themselves and they would find out where this young woman was at. So I had to worry about that. So the challenge was was to keep her alive while I tried to identify the cult members. And as I went, as I identified certain witnesses, like the foster parent that had introduced her, I only found out that she was dead as well. She had been sacrificed. Witnesses were either dying or disappearing on me. So I was the investigator was even complicated more.
Speaker 1: So well, and you had to be worried about a couple of things too, because now it starts to get out there and you were investigating this, and what about your wife's safety? What about the psychologist's safety? So that was even more pressure, right, yes.
Speaker 5: It was because what happened is during the investigation, the doctor's office had been burglarized and the only thing that had been disturbed was the file on the victim. So it was obvious that they call was trying to locate her. And they also the file revealed that I was the investigator the doctor even though she was reluctant to do so, and shared that there with me. Is the fact that she was violating the doctor patient confidentiality by bringing me into the investigator. But she had done so because she sincerely believed what the patient was telling her and she didn't have the ability to save her life without some help. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the good news is that this ends on a happy note, so to speak.
Speaker 2: But how did you pull apart?
Speaker 1: Like just knowing so much that you had learned back in those Riverside days about the occult that had to you know, and sacrifices, it's real, and that had to help you in solving this, right, it did.
Speaker 5: I had a lot of help from a detective from La Police Department. He was assigned to work these type of cases specifically, and he gave me heads up on what to look for that he told me to one of the things pay attention to any reports of animal abuse. One of the ceremonies included taking the testicles off of a bull or a horse and using that in some type of ceremony. And so that was and there were a couple of those done in the King County area where I was working. And when I got involved with this detective from LAPD was after I was on patrol and Riverside when a door to a church had been chopped down and as I put into it, I had another officer by the name al Cox, helped me out. We went into the church. We couldn't turn the lights on because we didn't know where the switches were at. We just had our flashlights and we're walking down both sides of the church. The church had a velvet colored curtain, almost like rug material, hanging from the ceiling to the floor on each wall. And as we walked down there, I noticed with my flashlights and toes sticking out from under the curtain. As I signaled on the scene with my flashlight, my al Cox, my money came over. We pulled the curtain back. The guy was standing there with an axe over his head ready to come down on us.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: So we had a big fight with him in there, disarming and that knocked over several pews in the church. That We took him into custody, but I had to book him in jail on a John Doe because he had no identification on him. Two days later I've notified that he's dead. He killed himself in the jail.
Speaker 1: More with Frank actually here on author's corner on the flip side.
Speaker 15: Did you know that healthy arteries make a gas. Yes, actually three known gases. Hi, I'm doctor Mitch, and nitric oxide is a gas that's readily made all day long to keep our arteries open by relaxing the blood vessel walls. By doing this, our circulation is increased, bringing blood, oxygen, and nutrients to every part of your body. Both age and poor diet can lead to a loss of this precious gas, and in turn, blood pressure can go up, energy can go down, and you can get tingling in your hands and feet. Well, our product, Ultimate nitric Oxide can easily help fix this lack of nitric oxide. Go to Totalwellness dot com. That's total wellness dot com, where we are helping you to look good, feel good, and enjoy total wellness.
Speaker 10: In today's troubled world, our USA Armed Forces stand ready to protect you, your family, and our American way of life. When veterans return to civilian life, they deserve your recognition and support. You can help put vets to work by donating your car, truck, or van to Patriotic Hearts. Your donation will directly support programs to help vets find jobs or even start their own business. Donate today for fast free pickup of your vehicle running or not. Operators are standing by to answer questions about making a tax deductible vehicle donation. Find out how you can make a difference in the life of the United States veteran Call eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero for twenty four hour response call eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero. Eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero. That's eight hundred two zero nine four five eight zero.
Speaker 6: Finding great candidates to hire can be like well, trying to find a needle in a haystack. Sure, you can post your job to some job board, but then all you can do is hope the right person comes along, which is why you should try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. ZipRecruiter doesn't depend on candidates finding you. It's power full technology identifies people with the right experience and actively invites them to apply to your job. You get qualified candidates fast, so while other companies might deliver a lot of hey, ZipRecruiter finds you what you're looking for, the needle in the haystack.
Speaker 16: Four out of five employers who post a job in ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day. ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire and right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free. That's right free. Just go to this exclusive web address ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. That ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. ZipRecruiter dot com slash free.
Speaker 1: We're back with Frank. Actually, Frank, that's the first time you dealt with anything like that, right.
Speaker 5: That was my first contact with anything dealing with Satanic worship. Wow. Wow, all the other homicide things that I had had and then this year I get this thing on the Satanic cult. It kind of blew my mind. I had to I had to share this fellow detectives throughout the wherever I could, needed to give them my heads up that this might be something they might run into some of their death investigations.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I also I also wanted to alert the citizens who read my book that there is that possibility, because it would be surprised how prevalent that is in our society today throughout the world as a matter of fact. But the investigation pursued and I worked out several situations with the doctor and ways to hide out to victim so to protect her, and I had the fellow officers now that I had gone back in years with who I knew were good and they helped me. Also, we did bring the case to the close. I did. I identify the the occult members and bought the thing to a close. But when I made the arrest of the booking and stuff like that in my detective car heading home, and I got to thinking about it. This victim had been living thirteen years, at least thirteen years in fear of her twenty sixth birthday, and that's why she developed these different personalities. So I called me doctor and I asked her she could get a hold of the victim and meet me, and she did so I met him and as I told him to don't worryny more. We've got the person who's in jail. He shouldn't be there for a long time. So they both broke down crying, the doctor and the victim. They come over and give me a big hug in that I just couldn't believe it. It was one of the most satisfying things I'd ever experienced out of the investigation.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a great what a great story.
Speaker 1: And then it led you to you know, be able to fictionalize it right in a birthday to die for right?
Speaker 5: Wow. Well, one of the things that it was helped persuade me is that this is all true. But as I needed led up to the conclusion of the investigation was I asked the doctor if she and her patient would go with me and have the patient show me the ceremonial sites that she had been to. And there were two ceremonial sites in two different counties in the mountains, and there was always high and always was in a clump of trees. They'd cut down these trees, you know, saplings and smaller trees and built a semi circle around an altar and allegedly at that time it was where the sacrifices were being made on the alders. Well, looking at one of them, I saw this brown stain running down the wood on one of them, so I cut it out, submitted to the crime lab. They came back both animal and human blood. Now I'm a believer. I'm convinced. And then that that I pursued it even a little harder, I guess, and brought it to the who's conclusion. By the way, the uh when I when I brought it to the conclusion this name the High Priest, that the title was given to the High Priest by himself. Okay, that's how he was identified. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And so the great satisfaction from that where they break down, they cry, they hug you.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That had to feel so good. And as you said, most of your career, in big chunks of it anyway, you were dealing with dead victims, You were dealing with families who wanted relief, especially when you talk about Green River, because people just wanted a conclusion to those that they loved that disappeared. And we would go on and on. It was huge across TV. There were all kinds of crime alerts. What was it like to be on that task force?
Speaker 5: Well, I started out as a homicide detective on there, and then they brought me back in after five months to make because I was a sergeant now maybe the investigating sergeant, and I was working with me. The task force consisted about forty detectives, detectives from three different police agencies, and twelve FBI agents. The FBI agents were great people. They helped us a lot because one of the reasons we asked them to join us is we were submitting evidence to the FBI Crime Lab in Quantico, Virginia, but we were getting the slow turnaround. So we went to the Special Agent charge of the Seattle office. He understood and he brought these twelve agencies from throughout the United States to assign to our task force. And we got almost immediate turnarounds when we submitted it, which helped. But in the Green River thing where Gary Ridgeway was the killer, we had forty eight victims. We had four victims that we had him solid on from DNA and enough of the death penalty. But his attorney, Tony Savage and we're mailing the prosecutor met and they discussed it because where we could get the death penalty. Only Savage wanted to say his client from the death penalty, so he was willing to make a deal. Deal was that he would have Ridgeway confessed to all the women he killed in the King County jurisdiction, and he changed for waiving a death penalty. I got a call at my home from normal mail and he asked me what did I think about it? I said, well, we've got him on four, but we got forty eight victims, so we close the case in for four of the families, but we still got forty four forty five cases that the family would have no closure. So was he just confessing to any any murder to get out of the death penalty or as you really tell us the truth when he confesses. So we brought Ridge Waving. General Tussin even slept in our office under the supervision of two detectives at all times, and he took us even to a site where he dumped the body that we hadn't even found yet. So he had to give us coroborative evidence to show that he was his confession was true. So that's where so make a long story short, Riduay was convicted of forty eight homicides. He was given forty eight life sentences to run consecutively. Wow. But one of the things is a point of interest is when were remember started. There were five victims and they were found in and on the bank of the Green River, and it was the news media that gave it the name the Green Serial murder case. And it turns out that the forty eight women was the largest cerial murder case in the history of the United States. Now we're not talking about mass murder, we're talking about serial murder right and investigated this. We had to learn how to identify the difference between animal and human bones. This investigation was known throughout the United States and Canada, and anybody found a bone, they'd called the task force and we have to go out and treat take a examiner's office to say whether it was animal or human, and then if it was animal, it was disposed of so that we wouldn't give another callback on it. So we did that, and then we went to the University of Oregon where they had a dental program and learned how to identify certain things with the skull and the teeth, for example, except for the first five victims, all the other victims were skeletal remains, so we had to find the teeth dent to identify because there was no fingerprints possible. So we had the assistance of explorer scouts and boyscounts and had it arranged with the schools that we had a search site. The sports scouts would come out from school and they would help us search some animal trails and pick up the teeth that had fallen off the mandible as a coyote was carried it to the coyote den. We would follow it right up, picking up teeth along the way, get to the coyote den and find the mandible and we would take the manible and the teeth that we found to the Medical Examiner's office and they would reconstruct the mandible well enough that they could send out photographs and X rays to the dentists in the United States and Canada get an ID. And that's all the victims except one victim. We had no Dell records anywhere, but she had a unusual break breaking into a femur and so we took X ray then and send it to doctors man and we got a positive idea on her as well.
Speaker 15: Wow.
Speaker 1: And we started with talking about the you know, the story of Birthday to Die Forward that was based on You can get that great book for a song, kindle, paperback, however you want it. You can get that on the Amazon or Barnes and Noble again, A Birthday to Die for Frank. Actually, it's so great to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Kad