Speaker 1: As a hiding place. This highway is ideal.
Speaker 2: A body might not be found ever or maybe never.
Speaker 3: For years, Lauren was kind of a free spirit, and we didn't worry about her when probably we should have worried about her more.
Speaker 4: From the very beginning, Cody starts saying things about sex to Lauren, very very graphic things about sex. It's so frightening to hear the story.
Speaker 5: It appears that Cody was a proverbial taking time bomb, just waiting to go off.
Speaker 3: There wasn't poaching, it was it was murder. You can't learn that you have to be born that way. You can't learn that evil.
Speaker 1: And if one is already killed, then how many other victims may still be out there.
Speaker 4: British Columbia is really a fascinating place and it's incredibly isolated.
Speaker 6: We're in the middle of a sea of trees.
Speaker 7: British Columbia is about one point seven times the size of France.
Speaker 4: You know how these little communities that for years didn't have running water or update electricity.
Speaker 2: I go back along way and there were just small little villages even till I was fourteen week traveled to town once a week by horse and buggy or horse and slay. Never heard of anyone go missing like this.
Speaker 8: Cutting through these rural communities is a highway that the last few decades has become increasingly.
Speaker 5: Notorious, Highway sixteen.
Speaker 1: Between Prince George and Prince Rupery. It is seven hundred and twenty five kilometers long.
Speaker 4: Highway sixteen in British Columbia has a much more well known name. It's often referred to as the Highway of Tears.
Speaker 5: It relates back to the incredible amount of murdered and missing women and girls that have simply just disappeared on that highway. When these cases happen, it takes a very It hits close to home.
Speaker 7: Usually they're a hitch hiking and doing so at a desperation. They really have no other form of transportation. Can you imagine as seven and twenty kilometers stretch, there's maybe a town every hour.
Speaker 1: As a hiding place.
Speaker 5: This highway is ideal.
Speaker 2: A body might not be found ever, or maybe never for years.
Speaker 8: Fort Saint James, a small village just off the Highway of Tears, is home to Cody Lechebakhov. He's born in nineteen ninety and grows up close to this infamous stretch of road.
Speaker 5: By all appearances, Cody came from a great family, didn't want for much growing up, had everything, all the comforts of home, essentially his full life ahead of them.
Speaker 2: I didn't know him personally. I didn't know his father or mother personally, but his grandparents I knew extremely well. I can't say anything bad about.
Speaker 5: My dog.
Speaker 4: Legendbikoff was in some respects a normal kid. He was a big kid, an early bloomer in some ways. But one of the things that kind of stood out about him is he loved to play hockey. But he stood out in terms of his level of violence on the hockey rink.
Speaker 1: Other parents would take their children off the ice when he was participating in hockey because of his aggressive nature. We all can come out out and be very very aggressive at certain times. The difference is are we able to control our anger and not have it come out that serious violent acts occur to other people. Here you have someone who's a deer hunter, and he is hunting the deer, but maims them first and then goes with his hands to finish the deal of killing them.
Speaker 4: This is somebody who would literally beat a deer to death.
Speaker 5: The fact that he's a hunter doesn't surprise me. But the fact that he took pleasure in seeing those animals suffer, that is that's staggering.
Speaker 4: Actually, it is a marker. It is a risk factor for violence against humans. And yet in some respects it was compartmentalized because he was very well liked and got along and had plenty of friends.
Speaker 2: I think the hardest part of all is anyone that knew him never suspected for a minute that any of this would have ever gone on.
Speaker 8: After graduating high school, Legenbokhov moves one hundred miles from rural Fort Saint James to the city of Prince George.
Speaker 5: My name is Todd Doherty. I'm the Member of Parliament for Carebrew Prince George. We have a tremendous amount of First Nations communities in and around our area, and gradually, over time, as our forestry industry has been decimated, we've seen a lot of economic hardship. You've got families that are finding it harder to make ends meet. You have substance abuse issues, you have domestic abuse issues.
Speaker 8: Cody gets a job as a mechanic, starts a relationship, and appears to quickly adapt to city life.
Speaker 7: If you want to find trouble, that's not difficult to find a Prince George.
Speaker 6: It could be a bit of a party town.
Speaker 7: There are certainly escort services in the city. It's not difficult to find drugs in this town.
Speaker 1: So imagine moving to this urban environment, this environment with all of these different stimulus, all these different ideas, all these different things coming at you from you coming from a small rural environment. That's a lot. We can now see the potential as he's in this urban area for him to escalate.
Speaker 7: Cody eligible CoV seemed to like the party a lot. He was fairly popular with the girls. He really got into the cocaine.
Speaker 4: I think Legibikov, he almost lived a double life. I think you have somebody who is working at a Ford dealership, who's got a relationship, who people see as very personable, is likable, is funny, and then you have this other side. It's like the dark depths of the soul that you start seeing.
Speaker 1: Here you have an individual who is now working, but the cocaine addiction is there girlfriend in the middle. The idea to juggle all of those this is more stress on an individual. This anger, this this aggression is already there. You have elements starting to line up now that can lead someone to be involved in very violent activities.
Speaker 3: My name is Doug Leslie and I am Lauren don Leslie's father. From what I can understand, she did meet him online and he went.
Speaker 4: And picked her up. It's so frightening to hear the story.
Speaker 5: It appears that you know Cody was a taking time bomb, just waiting to go off.
Speaker 8: Cody lejobock Off, now aged twenty, has a girlfriend and is working as a mechanic. He's also hiding a cocaine addiction, and it started chatting with the fifteen year old girl online, Lauren Leslie.
Speaker 2: Lauren was special from day one. As she grew, she spent a lot of time at my house visiting. She was a unique girl, very unique girl.
Speaker 4: She was always awesome, very thoughtful.
Speaker 3: She had a vision problem. She was legally blind, but you'd really never know it by watching her because she never let on. It never really slowed her down at all.
Speaker 2: When she was four, she went to school with a little boy and liked this little boy. But when this boy was nine, he drowned in the lake. When it came to the the funeral, she wanted to sit with the parents, and she sat beside the mother in stroke her arm. And this is how unique. She's nine years old. This is the unique little girl.
Speaker 4: Lauren Leslie is a very innocent fifteen year old girl. She meets this predator on a Canadian internet site called Nexopia. From the very beginning, it is clear that the agendas are very, very different. From the very beginning, Cody starts saying things about sex to Lauren, very very graphic things about sex. You can see that this makes Lauren very very uncomfortable. And the way she handles that in their communication online is she tries to ignore it, and then she tries to kind of say to him, Hey, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something different. And you know, it's just a dramatic to see the differences in what these two people are saying.
Speaker 3: Well, the last time I saw her was about three o'clock in the afternoon, and she was hanging around with friends and walking downtown.
Speaker 4: On the night of November twenty seventh, she tells her mom she's going to have coffee with a friend, and she goes and she meets this person, this predator, at a school on the playground. He offers to get her some alcohol, which you know she's much too young to be drinking, but she finally says, okay, I'll have some mud sliders. What is it about to happen? I think is something that's very, very scary.
Speaker 5: There were two RCP officers, one from the Prince Hur's detachment, one from the boundary of Detachment that we're meeting on Highway sixteen late at night. It is amongst one of the darkest highways I've ever been on. Just ahead of them, this truck pulls out of a isolated logging road and at a high rate of speed, kind of fish tailing down the road.
Speaker 4: To his credit, this cops spidy senses just start going off, puts his lights on, calls her back up, and pulls over this black truck.
Speaker 1: Think about the remoteness of the Highway of tears, but can you imagine making a traffic stop in a remote area like this.
Speaker 4: The police officer comes up to the window, he's shining his light. He looks at his credentials and he notices that there's this kind of red smudge on this person, the driver's chin, and it looks like his blood Meanwhile, his backup person comes. They start looking around and they find blood. There's a knife in the car that's got blood on it, there's a wrench in the car that's got blood on it. They plum blood just about everywhere.
Speaker 1: The first response from him is, well, I've been hunting, been poaching deer, and that's what happened. Okay, blood on a wrench. The officer continues on.
Speaker 4: Even though the police don't at all believe Cody's story, they're going to check it out. They go back to this logging road and they discover the worst case scenario. They discover the body of a young girl who's in the snow. She has been beaten so badly that her face is unrecognizable. They have some clue though, in terms of who she is, because they also had found this really adorable monkey backpack. They find a wallet, a polka dot wallet, and in that has got Lauren Leslie's identification card, her medical card.
Speaker 3: I got a car all from the cops that I don't know. It was probably midnight, dish. I went up to the to the site and that when I got there, the cops are at the end of the road.
Speaker 2: My son Doug called me by phone quite early in the morning to tell me what had happened. At the end. It was devastating to hear that news.
Speaker 5: Lauren was so young, Absolutely devastated that family, Absolutely devastated that family in so many ways. I couldn't imagine what Lauren's last moments were.
Speaker 7: Late. I remember vividly that the photo that they issued of Cody Legibokoff, he looked like an absolute trade wreck. You could tell he did a lot of drugs.
Speaker 3: I ended up in the police station in Vanaru for about thirty feet from Ledgerbokoff. He was in the cell in the next couple of rooms over, and you know, I told the cop to let me in for five minutes, and I found out later on and that's all he could do is to not let me in. But it was, you know, to have that thirty feet away from me at that time was pretty rough.
Speaker 4: This is somebody who was not out of control of his life. This was somebody who had a girlfriend. This was somebody who was holding down a job. So this is not somebody whose life is going off the rails because of their cocaine use. When you look at the premeditated and calculating way that this offender, that this predator goes online, needs somebody, and that's not the kind of murder that you see with somebody who's psychotic because of some dragon fueled frenzy.
Speaker 8: Ledgebokoff is held in custody, his apartment is searched and he swabbed for DNA as police began preparing evidence for his trial twelve months after Lauren's death. After examining new evidence, police contact Laurence family was shocking news.
Speaker 3: About a year later, we got called in when they connected the dots and found out that he was in fact being charged with three more murders.
Speaker 5: It's unbelievable stumbled upon what turned out to be Canada's youngest serial killer. You never know what's going on in the house beside you. With this case, that's probably one of the most terrifying things.
Speaker 8: Cody Leedjebakhov is in custody charged with the first green murder of fifteen year old Lauren Leslie. Police now suspects Lauren isn't his first victim. They've been investigating the murders and missing persons cases of three other women.
Speaker 5: This happened over a course of a long period of time when you have one body turn up and then maybe you have another body and completely unrelated. You don't believe that you have a serial killer of walking amongst us. And it was only after the discovery of Lauren that investigators were they able to really piece together that, holy smokes, we have a serial killer amongst us.
Speaker 8: The unsolved murders and missing person cases back to over a year before Lauren Leslie was killed. On October ninth, two thousand and nine, local woman Jills Touchinko is reported missing.
Speaker 7: Jill Stutchenko a thirty five year old mother of five who was very much deep into your addictions.
Speaker 6: She was kind of known and I actually kind of known and liked.
Speaker 7: She had friends who wanted to get the word out about her disappearance, and of course turned to us to get that word out.
Speaker 4: This is a woman who had had some struggles in her life. She had a pretty significant cocaine addiction that she was battling, but she was also the mother of five children and she really really wanted to get her life straightened out so she could take care of her children, and she was just having a difficult time with it.
Speaker 1: Stitchenko was found half buried in a gravel pit just outside Prince George.
Speaker 4: She had been completely mutilated. There was evidence that she had been beaten with a blunt object, she had been stabbed, There was evidence that she had been sexually assaulted. It was just an absolutely horrendous crime scene.
Speaker 7: Whenever they find a body, they do a lot of forensics. They just gather as much evidence as they can. They'll close the scene down for a day or so.
Speaker 8: By comparing DNA records from Jill Stucchinko to a stain found on Legibakhov's sofa, police now believe he is Jill's killer.
Speaker 4: This is Cody Lejebikov's first murder, at least first confirmed murder. Cody would often contact women who were sex workers. He also would get them to get crack cocaine for him. He seemed to have a pretty significant addiction around this time to crack cocaine, and so those both may have been in play in terms of when she came over to his apartment. We know that she died an absolutely horrendous, horrendous death based on autopsy results.
Speaker 5: The first murder was probably very opportunistic and he found that will wait a second, I got away with this. It was easy to do, and he had it in him and that just fueled the passion to do more.
Speaker 8: Another vulnerable woman is reported missing from Prince George.
Speaker 7: Natasha Montgomery was a girlfriend Quinnell, which is a small community probably about an hour hour and a half drive south of Prince George.
Speaker 6: Came from a good.
Speaker 7: Family, did a lot of figure skating as a youngster, and sort of lost her way once she came up to Prince George.
Speaker 4: Natasha Montgomery was twenty three years old. She had struggled with crack cocaine that was kind of a monkey on her back that she had a really hard and time getting rid of. She sometimes resorted to sex work as a way to supplement her income, So she was really somebody who was in a high risk category.
Speaker 7: She was missing, and we you know, quite honestly, every couple of weeks somebody goes missing, and more often than not they sort of resurface.
Speaker 6: But she hadn't resurfaced.
Speaker 8: Natasha Montgomery is still missing and presumed dead. When Legen balk Off is charged with Lauren's murder, Police find Natasha's DNA on Ledgenbakoff's clothing and in various places in his apartment.
Speaker 7: They blue lighted it and there was swabs everywhere, and it was it looked like he basically started chasing her from his bedroom into the kitchen and beat.
Speaker 6: Her to death.
Speaker 1: Now we have another victim that's linked to him because of DNA evidence found in his apartment. If we have Montgomery's body that has never been found, we just never know how many others are out there, whether it be on the Highway of Tears or some other place that if one is already killed, then how many other victims may still be out there.
Speaker 4: There is eleven months between Cody's first murder and a second one. Is it possible that he did other murmurders during this time? It is. There certainly have been serial killers who have started out slowly and then ramped up. They did one one year, one the next year, one six months later, and ramped up. So it's possible that he waited for a year. But it's also possible that there are other victims that we don't know about.
Speaker 2: It would be horrifying for parents do not be able to find their children, regardless of what has happened to them, you know, to not know anything. It would be very, very difficult.
Speaker 7: The best way to describe hers is through her sister. The way she described Cynthia was a very trusting, you know, a bit of a happy It sounds like, you know, she was quite the pleasant person.
Speaker 4: Cynthia seemed to struggle at times with cocaine addiction and also would engage in sex work is a way to supplement her income. On September the tenth, two thousand, Cynthia Moss was murdered, leaving behind one child to now be without a mom.
Speaker 1: Moss is found in a wooded park in Prince George.
Speaker 8: One of Legebokov's socks is found to contain DNA matching Cynthia's. Her DNA is also found on an axe in Ledgebahkov's bedroom.
Speaker 1: What we see with the brutal murder of miss Moss is just pure aggression and violence coming out. We have seen his violence with animals and the way that he hunts and the way he kills with his hands. We hope that we don't see that move to a human being, but we do with the victim of Moss.
Speaker 4: These three victims are clearly targeted. I believe they're vulnerable, and they're individuals that Cody knows he can hand take advantage of.
Speaker 1: Most of his victims are mothers who now leave behind children who will never see the smile the affection of their mother again.
Speaker 8: Ledgibokhov arranged to meet Lauren Leslie less than three months after murdering Cynthia Moss. Lauren had no way of knowing that the guys she met online was already a serial killer, because until he met Lauren, he'd gotten away with it.
Speaker 7: I'm certain that Cody Legebokov was really counting on nobody finding Laura Lesley's body. The way he was trying to get away from the scene, it sounded like he had a probably a lot of guilt on his mind, a lot of fear.
Speaker 5: It's challenging for those that go missing that maybe on the street and maybe do not have ragilar content act with loved ones. It also speaks to how uh incredibly fortunate that that rhamp officer on the on the on the road was, because if they hadn't caught him that night, they likely wouldn't have caught him for a while.
Speaker 7: The way the bodies were positioned and the injuries that they suffered, and what he did to them afterwards, you know, it was all it was definitely the signs of the pattern.
Speaker 1: If he was not stopped, would we have the ability to catch this individual because he is moving on from people being involved women being involved in the sex trade to people who are not involved in the sex trade. We often like to put our serial killers in a box where we can find that these similar characteristics are telling us of giving us some sort of profile or indication of where he she may go next. This switch up is a difficult one to take, and thank goodness he was taken into custody.
Speaker 3: It's bittersweet because I mean, it's terrible to have a child gone, but that she was a catalyst to stop him, that was the good part.
Speaker 4: One of the really impressive things about the story is that Lauren Leslie's family has said a couple of times that the one thing they've held on to is the fact that their daughter's murder prevented additional murders and that that has been somewhat comforting to them. And I am sure that if they had not caught him at this point, he would have continued to murder until he was caught.
Speaker 3: During court, we were pretty much all together, so many people were impacted by it.
Speaker 7: He was living with three girls, and one of the girls testified that she saw him his nose was bleeding into a toilet and she said, Cody, you know, just kind of warned him, like, you're doing way too much cocaine.
Speaker 6: He was a bit of a puzzle.
Speaker 7: I remember during that during the trial, there was a you know, a sex worker who supplied drugs to them, and she said, yeah, I owe you three hundred bucks and he said, oh, don't worry about it. You know, I'll catch you on the rebound. I just don't quite understand. I think it was a little bit of probably a bit impulsive.
Speaker 8: Friends of Jill Stachinko, Natasha Montgomery, and Cynthia Moss also testify in court.
Speaker 7: They really wanted to get their stories out and really.
Speaker 6: They were scared.
Speaker 7: They were really worried that they could be the next victim, and I think they really wanted to put them away.
Speaker 6: Pretty much.
Speaker 7: The first thing that the Crown prosecutor says was, we have three thousand pages of forensic evidence. You know, they weren't going to miss a beat on this one basically said, well, uh, these three women were in trouble with the local drug dealers and uh, you know they wanted to get them because they owed them money. Uh and a mister X and a mister Y and a mister Z. Uh said, Cody, you got to help us out. He said that he was. He was the one who handed them in the weapons, and they these characters actually did did these three n and uh disposed of the bodies? It was it was, you know, so outrageous and so ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Ledja Bokoff has another explanation for Lauren's death.
Speaker 1: He claims that her death is because she brought a knife with her and self inflicted this harm on herself.
Speaker 7: She you know, somehow escaped from the track and she was doing this to her stall and he decided, well, okay, she's done for I'm.
Speaker 6: Going to just put her out of her messy with us wrench.
Speaker 4: He truly seems to have a lack of understanding about normal emotions, and he also seems to have a limited ability to feel them. You know, when you hear him talk about the murders, there's just no sense of emotion, remorse, regret, guilt, or any of the things that we would hope to see.
Speaker 7: He was going to roll the dice and see if he could fool everybody.
Speaker 8: The jury are considering their verdict. At Legebokov's murder trial, his defense claimed Lauren Leslie tried to take her own life and that three unnamed individuals are responsible for the murders of Jill Stachinko, Natasha Montgomery, and Cynthia Moss.
Speaker 1: Ledger Balkoff is convicted in September of twenty fourteen of four counts of murder.
Speaker 4: I think what's interesting is how rare it is for a serial killer to start in their teens, and I think that speaks to the level of depravity to some extent. And Cody about fourteen percent of serial killers start in their teens.
Speaker 1: Remember, the brain does not fully form until about age twenty five, so he has the impulsivity of a teenager with the anger that's developed that usually doesn't make its way to criminal activity of this nature until one is in their late twenties or thirties. That shows itself in the aggressive nature of how these people were killed.
Speaker 4: I think that we often do tend to look primarily at circumstances, trauma and those kinds of things, and I think it's easy to forget that there are people who seem to for whatever reason biologically to seem to have something missing, and I do think that Cody is an example of that.
Speaker 5: I would say he's a predator. He prayed on the week, he prayed on the most vulnerable, and he took full advantages of their disadvantages as his methods and modus operandi kind of evolved with their others.
Speaker 7: What they do is they give prisoners a bit of a faint hope as a way to make them behave themselves and kind of do the right things and you know, not being corrigible and not make it difficult or on the staff. It gives him that a bit of incentive and keeps amount of trouble.
Speaker 1: It seems he's following the rules and therefore he is rewarded with being in a less secure prison. What that means more privileges, a better environment. Years is a long time. Some people become institutionalized and follow the rules and make their way toward rehabilitation. Others take the time to simply say, let me go along with this, let me play the game if you will, and do my time and then go back to whatever.
Speaker 3: I just want him to stay in jail for the rest of his life. I'm working with MPs to try to get him back in maximum security where he belongs.
Speaker 6: I think a lot of.
Speaker 7: People are very angry that this has happened, just on principle, the whole turmoil that he caused these people.
Speaker 5: I've raised this in Parliament a number of times as Cody has gone through the system. You know, how can correct this? Canada transfer this horrific killer, Canada's youngest serial killer. He's shown no signs of remorse, still holds the information to whereabout so one of his victims. You know, when you speak with the victims' families, it's absolutely heartbreaking and overwhelmingly the question is who fights for us? Where's our voice? You know, it's just you can't help but get emotional and get drawn into it.
Speaker 4: We've never seen any remorse from this person. This is somebody who to this day is saying he didn't do it. He's blaming it on three other people. There's no evidence that even exist, and so when you look at risk factors for recidivism, they're all over the place. I think he has the capacity to kill again.
Speaker 3: How many more are there actually out there that he has murdered. I don't think it's done. You can't learn that you have to be born that way because you can't learn that evil.
Speaker 4: I think the word psychopath gets used and overused all the time. I have not personally evaluated him, but I will tell you there is something about him I think that is very scary.
Speaker 5: We have so many people that seemingly just disappear in our neck of the woods, and there's lots of different there resis to what's happening with that. Did he use that as a cover, did that motivate him? Did that fuel him to try it himself? That's something to ask Cody Lejah Balkoff, And I don't think he'll ever tell that.
Speaker 3: Lauren was kind of a free spirit and we didn't worry about her when probably we should have worried about her more. And you know, you take it for granted that people are what you see, but they're not really. We got to pay more attention to our kids, for sure.
Speaker 2: Definitely has affected everyone around people that I never knew before that I've come in contact know about Lauren.
Speaker 4: Certainly, it's made an impact.
Speaker 2: What would she be doing today if she was still here, she would still be going around helping people. That's what she would be doing. In some way or another. I try not to think about that. It's too much to think about it.
Speaker 6: To do what you want me