Speaker 1: We're in Philadelphia and I'm joined right now by one of my favorite Dodgers. You guys know him, love him, and he not only is a great player, but he's got a big heart. And that is the one and only Keike Hernandez. Thanks a lot for the time. It's been a great first nine games of the season for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hi, Dave from Philadelphia East Coast. Yeah, you got off to a great start. You know, the personal not so much, but the team hasn't necessarily needed me to play good to win games, so that's good. But yeah, I mean, we all hear the noise. We are doing a great job at canceling, shutting out the noise, and you know, focusing on our twenty six man roster, focusing on ourselves and what we do need to do in between the lines to be successful, and so far we're doing a good job of that.
Speaker 1: But it feels like you guys have done a good job with everything else around you, and you yourself playing a position that you don't really play a lot, and that's first base. I'm not sure people will fully appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, definitely, I I think i'm you know, I usually i'm a chameleon. Defensively, I kind of adjust to where I'm at, and right now I'm possibly thinking so much about first base and I'm forgetting about you know, what happens on the plate. But you know, I Freddie has been you know, he's top five defender of the position in the whole Big League. So my job, my responsibility is to make sure that the team doesn't suffer.
Speaker 1: Part of the reason why you're back with the Dodgers and why everybody wanted you back was to enjoy the fruits and the celebration of being a world champion. The following year, you got your ring. I'm sure that was exciting for you. And then on Monday, the Dodgers are going to the White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, second time through as a champ, first time that I get to, you know, come back and be part of all the all the celebrations of the previous year. Of course I missed out and all of that in twenty twenty one, So the White House, I feel like being a Latino and being somewhat of a fan favorite. Uh. It was kind of a loose lose situation for me in terms of the White House. If I was here in twenty twenty one, maybe my decision would have maybe possibly been easier, but you know the fact that I was in here, I need to be selfish and and put myself and myself before anything else. I understand that that I'm a role model and I'm you know, I'm supposed to be a leader in the Latino community. But at the same time, you know, as a little kid, you see the World Series champ or NBA Finals champ, all the you know, NHL, all these major sports. You know, they win the they win the title, and they go to the White House, and you know, this is one of the things as a little kid when you dream about winning the World Series, you know, you put yourself in the situations. And here we are in the present moment and a decision that is not really easy at all. But you know, I've decided that I'm going to go to the White House just because we are celebrating as a team and we have a really good thing going on, and I feel like if I say no, that kind of becomes a distraction, not only for myself, but for my teammates. I don't want to have any of my teammates have to answer questions to the media as to why I took a personal decision. So I feel like me going to the White House is definitely not a political thing. It's more of a you know, I'm there to celebrate the title and I'm there to support my teammates. Yeah, I mean, I don't want to go back, you know, go ahead twenty years from now and regret my decision of you know, not going to the White House. That's that would have been twice that I missed out onto the opportunity. So, like I said in twenty twenty one, the team got to go, my teammates got to go. I wasn't there because I wasn't part of the team. I missed out on that opportunity. So I'm trying to trying to make sure I don't miss out on anything this year. And you know, I think mixing politics and sports is never a good thing. So I am definitely not making this a political thing. I'm just going to be there for my team. I'm going to be there to support and my teammates, not anybody else. And uh, probably that's part of my reason why I'm going.
Speaker 1: No doubt, La loves you, KEYK Puerto Rico loves you. That will never change. So you don't have to worry about that. You just have to look good and be yourself wherever the Dodgers go.
Speaker 2: Well, those are two things that I tend to be good at. Looking good and be myself. Uh, be myself as something I pride on each and every day, regardless of where I'm at, And who knows, maybe I'll pull a k K stunt at the White House.
Speaker 1: Be on your toes. You never know what he might have in his back pocket. Love you, KEYK. And like I said, LA will never change how they feel about you. Uh, you leave it all out on the field. You wear your heart on your sleep and that's something that we all appreciate.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave, I appreciate you.