Speaker 1: Jenn and I first winning weather forecast two day overcast skies the media range shower showing up forty five for the high throwing up over nine down to twenty eight to Marris high fifty four with sunny sky's cloudy again over nine forty two and mostly cloudy Saturday with the high fifty three forty eight degrees now type of traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UCL Traffic Center.
Speaker 3: The University of Cincinnati Cancer Center offers innovative clinic clap trials and the region's only young onset called the Rectal Cancer.
Speaker 2: Program called five one, three, five eight five.
Speaker 3: UCC see Cruise continue to work with the wrecks E Spend two seventy five near Winton, Eastpound Reagan Highway near Gabrath and East Spends seventy four near Peakman left side. There's a wreck on twenty two above the Old three Sea Highway and an Ohio Pike at nine mile Ingram Month fifty five kr C the talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey, thirty three fifty five KRCIT Talk station. Sorry for the late starts. I'm always happy to have I heard Media Aviation. Next for Jay Ratliff on the program Jay, Welcome back, my friend, great to hear.
Speaker 2: From you today.
Speaker 4: Hey, pleasant, good morning.
Speaker 1: Real quick here, I'll just I got your list, but I wanted to ask you a couple of different us.
Speaker 4: Why worry about the list that I spent hours working on the talk about this totally different?
Speaker 2: I Uh. First off, I guess.
Speaker 1: The air traffic control system is going to be getting a new system. At least it was announced the other day. Transtation Secretary Sean Duffy said that looks like they're going to have a system, a new system. We've talked about needing a new system now for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: In fact, the three things that kind of like the tricycle, if you will, for air traffic control, and the challenges for the FAA is one to get that technology in place, up and running, and get it as updated as we possibly can, especially with the shortage of air traffic controllers, which is the second concern for the FAA. If we've got better technology, it will allow the people that are doing two and three jobs to do that job more efficiently. And then third, we've just got the the facilities of the airports that are just deteriorating at so many places around the country that need assistance as well as far as repairs, if it's air traffic control centers, if it's airports with runways, terminals, those types of things. So the challenge is for aviation moving forward at a time when we're looking at the demand for travel doubling in the next ten to fifteen years, is I mean, it's daunting. I mean, it's going to be a challenge. And that's one of the reasons I'm so thrilled that President Trump is just not talking about it as so many other administrations have done. He's actually saying, look, let's get it done, Let's bring in the people they can get it done, and let's get moving in that direction as quickly as possible. The industry, as I've said so many times Brian, is an integral part of the nation's economy and it deserves every bit of resources that we can devote in that direction. And I'm just thrilled with what I'm seeing, and hopefully it'll continue.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, let's pause, bring Jay back, talk about quite a few other topics got on the list. Here, Take thirty five.
Speaker 2: I'll be right back fifty five, KRC.
Speaker 1: Did you know that for adults sport, Jay Ratliffe, Asin's iheartm media aviation expert. We've got quite a few topics. Whoever, with Jay Ratliffe this morning, it was kind of funny. We don't need to do a dive on inocuse you have mentioned the Southwest bag check policy has changed and out charge for it. There was a Wall Street Journal article the other day about it about what people were checking in their bags, turkeys, tire rims, kitchen sinks, among others. And so the party's over at Southwest, so leave your kitchen sink at home. No more free baggage. But what we do have on the list to talk about, Jay, we talk we.
Speaker 4: Could talk about that because I can tell you employees of Southwest are pleased with those new changes as far as paying for check bags for just what you mentioned, it's going to alleviate some of the massive amount of check luggage is people are going to be carrying some more things on board and all and going to assigned seating means that that open call open seating you know Black Friday boarding event you have every time at the gate area can be alleviated as well. So you know, people that have enjoyed free bags for like the last fifty seven years. Yeah, it's kind of come to an end, but Southwest needs it to better compete well.
Speaker 2: And number one on your list.
Speaker 1: Southwest Airlines had a bit of a problem with a passenger the other day, or rather a laptop the other day. This is scary stuff, man.
Speaker 4: Well we've talked about these lithium batteries. When they overheat, it's an issue. And that's one of the reasons that flight attendants, those emergency evacuation specialists that I have the highest regard for, are trained when a fire breaks out on board an aircraft. And we had a Southwest flight that had to land in Reno because they had a laptop that overheated started to catch on fire. And it was Southwest just a few months ago that in the Denver Airport at the gate they had a cell phone catch on fire and it filled the cabin with smoke. They had several people that were injured. And it's one of the reasons that you'll always hear them tell people at the airports to not place any of your electronic devices inside checked luggage right because it's going to go in the cargo facility. We can't access that from the aircraft in flight, and the fire suppression systems that we have on most modern aircraft are not adequate to put out the heat that comes off of these lithium batteries to put out the fire. So it Brian. I hope one day we don't look back and say, why did we ever let any of these things ever on an airplane ever? But in the back of your mind you think about that because so many times at the gate area, and you know how busy things are when you travel, and they say, hey, we'll check that bag for you and put it, you know, underneath, and then you don't have to mess with it in the gate area. Okay, take it, and they'll ask you do you have an electronic devices in here? And a lot of times, oh no, no, I don't have anything in there, And it's not intentional, but they forget that they've got things in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got their pens or you know, anything.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the reasons that it's just such a scary event because you know, we've had tragically over the over the years, airplanes have had fires that have erupted in the cargo area. They've not been able to be extinguished, and it causes the flight to crash with an incredible loss of life. So that's why this is such a serious, serious thing. And you know every so you know, Southwest has four thousand plays today, so you know, the fact that they had this one and then one in November or whatever, it doesn't represent, you know, an out of controlled trend here, but they are certainly moments that we can highlight, not only here but around the world where we've had a situation where, look, we had an airplane that caught on fire big time and I'm trying it was air Bussan or one of the carriers, international carriers where they're banning certain battery chargers from even being allowed to be brought on board the plane because of the fact that you can bring them, but you can't plug them in because they tend to overheat and cause some problems. So this is going to be an ongoing discussion as we move forward, because it's becoming more and more of a safety hazard as we have more and more people traveling with these things. And remember, as more people travel and that growing number continues to expand over the next five to ten fifteen years, all we're doing is increasing the likelihood of some of these things continuing to happen on.
Speaker 1: Board an aircraft, no doubt about it. Well, in terms of a laptop catching on fire within the passenger area where we're supposed to be, do they have some kind of specialized bag or something that can put it in do they?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Flight attentts are trained using fire suppression bags and other means to make sure of it. And that's one of the reasons they say, if your cell phone gets lodged into the seat, don't go reaching in for it, because sometimes those things tend to overheat, and it's the flight attends you need to call for to have you be to get the assistance that you need on those because again, it's just fran These things are such a scary, scary thing. You can't ban every cell phone and every electronic device from an aircraft. Obviously we can't go that route, But I tell you, it's just it just it's such a concern when you see the number of events that we have and look, we've got there's YouTube videos out there. You can look at that somebody's walking through the airport and the backpack totally just suddenly erupts into fire because of a laptop battery that overheated that caught the bag on fire, and you see how fast these things burn, and then you think this is on an aircraft. Yeah, you can find space, and it really underscores just how serious of a situation this is.
Speaker 1: It's just every time you come on, you give me one more reason why I don't feel like it's an airplane.
Speaker 4: Jay, I could, I could bring the good you know, the feel good stories. But you and I talk about everything and yeah, this is a recent thing.
Speaker 1: And no, you're raising you're you're raising important awareness because you know it's that you really need to think when you're talking about check bags and the fact that you talk about it and you think about the absolute tragedy that would happen if you're you forgot.
Speaker 2: So it's a checkpoint.
Speaker 1: Look in the back seat when you get out of the car, if you've got toddlers dropped in there. You know, it's like you look, make sure you don't have any electronic devices in your check luggage.
Speaker 4: It's sound advice, it's pause safe safety reminders.
Speaker 1: Yet for on, everybody's behalf Okay, it's eight forty five, we'll come back. We'll talk about some good news for Boeing. That's a rare thing occurring, and another viral video is shown up about people's conduct at airports. More with Jay after these brief words.
Speaker 2: Fifty five car the talk station. Have you asked yourself? Does my wealth deserve morey? It's uh.
Speaker 1: Final weather report for the morning. Channel nine says overcast skys, maybe a shower in there and a high forty five. Clear skies every night twenty eighth to Marros Sunny skies in fifty four, clouds return overnight down to forty two, and Saturday looking like a cloudy day with a high of fifty three but ry closing out of forty seven.
Speaker 2: It is time for final traffic chuck from the UCF Tramping Center.
Speaker 3: The University of Cincinnati Cancer Center offers innovative clinical trowns and the region's only young onset called a rectal cancer and program called five one three, five to eighty five. You see Cruise continue to work for the wreck East found on the Ranking Highway. It's near Galboy traffic backing past Swinton and in Claremont County. Cruise are working with the wreck East found on Ohio Pipe. Just before you got the nine mile chuck ingram on fifty five PRC the talk station, Hey forty.
Speaker 1: Nine, I think about kersee talk station Happy Friday, e Tech Friday with Dave had or tomorrow the meantime one more segment here with I heard mediaviation expert Jay Ratliff. Look at this amazing good news for Boeing. That doesn't happen Stock jump ten bucks to share yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and because.
Speaker 4: Japan Airlines said, oh, well, by seventeen or so of your aircraft and the Bowing seven thirty seven max. And I mean the list price is one hundred and twenty some million, they're not gonna be paying that. But it was good news for Boeing. But you know, the other fascinating read between the line, Boeing news comes from Southwest. Southwest is undergoing so many changes right now that you and I have talked about. They actually mentioned, you know, smaller airplanes might actually come in handy for us in some smaller markets. Ooh, now they only fly Boeing. They've only ever flown Boeing seven thirty sevens. So what does it mean when they say maybe we should go with some smaller airplanes. Does that mean smaller Boeing planes or does it mean somebody else? So it's going to be interesting to see if this may just be Southwest throwing out some negotiating employ hats off of them for that, or they may say, look, we've got a lot of markets that that seven thirty seven aircraft is simply too big of an aircraft at one hundred and fifty seeds. We need something in the seventy seventy five seat range that might work better. So it's going to be fascinating as we move forward, because if there's a time that we could believe that Southwest is going to deviate from what they've been doing for the last five plus decades, it would certainly be Now.
Speaker 1: How about that so well smaller aircraft, and it's quite a few manufacturers of those smaller aircraft out. There's lots of options for Southwest.
Speaker 2: You get two options.
Speaker 4: Either you pull out of the market because the plane's too big, or you bring in another type of equipment that can better serve and make you more money in that smaller market.
Speaker 1: I think they would choose the ladder.
Speaker 4: It is, but then you need different equipment because the nice thing about the seven thirty sevens is all the ground equipment at every airport is the same. The same training for the pilots. Is all of that consistency saves you money. And it was one of the brilliant things Southwest did early on. But it's like investing. You put all your eggs in one basket and things go wrong. I mean you're gonna be paying for it.
Speaker 1: Doors start flying off, you know, little things like that.
Speaker 2: We have a.
Speaker 1: Got another viral video video out there.
Speaker 2: What's this one all about?
Speaker 1: Jay?
Speaker 4: Fifty four year old man slying out of dolls gets into an argument with the gate agent, and of course you do what you do when you get into an argument, you hit the guy, knock him out. That's what happened. It was a viral video that has just taken off. And I mean this, This guy punched the poor employee one time and down he went, knocked him totally out. Down goes Frasier, hits the floor. The guy has to go to the hospital. Well, the man who truck him is obviously arrested. He's going to be charged for assault. He's going to be fined by the FAA. He may find face civil penalties of some kind of if the employee attempts to sue. You have a united saying you never flying this again, which is all good things, because he has to face those consequences and for the next five years they'll probably be in court. Brian, My point, as it has been so often, is that other airlines will not share that information. United won't share it with other carriers, meaning this person who's clearly a threat to not only employees but other passengers, could be allowed to fly on Delta Southwest American just go right down the list. Because airlines do not share the list of passengers they ban who've assaulted crew members or passengers, and they've been asked in the past to do it. And as we've talked so many times before, these airlines say, the cost to initiate this list and to maintain this list is just it's just, you know, it's a cost issue. Yeah, And you can't throw them on the tear watch list because that's a completely different animal. But don't, as a CEO of an airline go running to a podium screaming about how employees are your number one thing and passengers are your number because that's a bunch of crap, because if they were, you wouldn't let somebody like this fifty four year old ever board one of your airplanes after they have physically assaulted, clearly on video, an airline employee. I just it just bothers me, and it just continues to bother me because we've got to do a better job of protecting those airline employees.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: There's such a loss of civilitian society these days, and the idea that anybody would think it, under any circumstance appropriate to punch someone whose job is nerely to help get you on and off an airplane. Anyhow, Well, all right, well, as we always do, we'll close on hub delays. How's it looking out there for travel today?
Speaker 2: Jay? You know, be good, O.
Speaker 4: Little snow in Chicago and March discussion can come up. We can talk about that. That's going to slow things down. And then the Detroit I think those are going to be the two problem children of the day. Might have late degas who's in Charlotte, but I think those are going to be minor so other than Detroit and Chicago, which I think they'll handle those delays. Okay, should be a pretty good dat to fly.
Speaker 1: Sounds great, Jay, Radlffe. Always enjoy having you on the program, appreciate our conversations, and I'll look forward to doing it again next Thursday.
Speaker 4: Imagine how much fun's gonna happen between now and then.
Speaker 2: I'll be ready, Amen, brother, I take care man. Have a great week.
Speaker 1: It's coming to with a E fifty five fifty five cares of detalkstation from front Lives, Frontline Advisors LLC dot com and Dan Hills representing the Fairfield Police Department having some problems their healthcare. They have no idea what their healthcare covers or how much it's going to cost them. Bad thing when you're struggling to find officers to fill the holes in the ranks. Twenty five percent down. Excuse me in Fairfield George Runman and Keith Tunnfeld in studio for a full hour Restore Wellness dot org. Great information about health and what we're eating and how to transform our diets. Really important stuff these days. Hunter Oswald, the legacy of Herbert Hoover. Tonight it is Thursday, seven o'clock. Empower Youoamerica dot org. Learn something about Herbert hooverd a lot of interesting stuff about him. And we heard a course from Anderson Towns to Trusty Drew Pappus about his interaction speaking of lacking in civility with some left wing guy who's got Drew Livin Rent free in his head. Anyway, sad to that see that kind of stuff happening. It's all there. Fifty five caresy dot com get your iHeart media app WHI you're there seeking stream the audio wherever you happen to be. Joe Strecker thanks as always, my dear friend for producing the show and lining up guests. We'll have guests including Dave hat or Tech Friday tomorrow at six point thirty. I hope you have a wonderful day, folks.
Speaker 2: Glenn Beeck's coming right up.
Speaker 3: A full rundown and the biggest headlines just minutes away at the top of the hour. I'm giving you a fact now, Americans shouldn't know fifty five KRS the talk station this report is