Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's.
Speaker 2: On sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: Now here's Nick coffee, all right.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking here at sportsline dot com, a good resource, by the way, pre plug for them. And when it comes to they've got their own formula that gives you a projected score after I think like a thousand simulations between teams when it comes to a matchup, and they have the projected score for the Louisville Kentucky Governor's Cup game at twenty five twenty three Louisville, which means, of course the Cards would win but not cover because they are currently favored by three and a half. So if you look at you look at you know in it's early, but right now, the percentage of wagers on this game, as far as the spread, seventy three percent of those wagering on spread here are taking Louisville to cover and money line and I'm sorry not money line, but the money, the money that has come through. It's the other way around. Those that are betting on Kentucky. There's not as many of them, but they're putting up a lot more money. And that doesn't surprise me because I would imagine that if you're a Kentucky fan, you probably, no matter what would have happened this year, wanted to bet on Kentucky to win because you know you're a Kentucky fan. I'm glad I've never really been that way, because, you know, I feel like it's a little because it's clearly an emotional bet. But if you're doing it, you know, and it's just a known thing, like Hey, I'm gonna put twenty bucks or whatever down on my team because if they win, I'm gonna be happy in general, but also, man, I'm gonna get paid to watch my team win because we prove the books were wrong about us. But I've just tried to stay away from wagering on teams that I have any feeling towards, whether it be I love them or hate them, because clearly there's no way to, I think, remove emotion totally from that decision. But if it's just for fun, you know, and you know going in you're doing it because you're a fan or you're a hater, then you know, I get it. But yes, there's more money coming in on Kentucky to cover this thing. As far as just the amount wagered but the amount of bets themselves still still I say still, it's first TI I've looked at it, but seventy three percent have Louisville. All right, it is hour number two here Coffee and Company, philby Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us, Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, mister John Alden alongside. Today we'll get back into the Governor's Cup stuff coming up here shortly. If you are just now joining us and you have been working all day, been busy, who knows whatever you're doing. You may not have heard the news from Mark Stoops's press conference. They are going to start meaning Kentucky. A true freshman at quarterback, Cutter Bowley will start for Kentucky, making his first career start in the Governor's Cup game. I think it's a brilliant move by Stoops because from when I saw Saturday, the kid looks like he's got a pretty good arm. Obviously, he was a big time recruit coming out of high school. And you know what you have with Brock vandergriff and that's a guy who has not been able to, you know, to help you win at any I mean, I guess he made a big play hit Bury and Brown there unfourd down against Ole Miss, and that was huge for them. That's really how they won that game, which it's crazy to think about where their season would be had they not won that game. But they did win the game, and he made a big play with his arm. And I don't think Vandergrift's bad. He's not. He's just not that. He's just not certainly not elite. And I don't know, maybe you end up see him because he's gonna transfer elsewhere now right Like he hasn't announced that, but you know, him getting benched in the finale and it being a true freshman. I mean, I would imagine he's going to transfer. I mean, I don't know why you'd stick around. And maybe he ends up elsewhere and has success. And it's another reason people can point and look at Stoops and say, look, man, you're holding our offense back. Look at what Liam Cohen's doing in the NFL. I mean, I don't even know if that would be true or not, but you know, it's a brilliant move by Stoops because I think it does give you the best chance to potentially view this as a new season, you can say all along, hey, nothing else, everything that happened before doesn't matter. This is a new season, one game season, and I'm sure I mean, in fact, I know coaches do that every week, right. The most important game in the history of our program is the next game. Like Pat Kelsey says that a lot. So you can say all that, and it's still really difficult to you know, believe it and really go out on the field and have the mindset as if you haven't already lost, you know, a bunch of games this year. But I think if you've got a new guy leading the offense on that side of the ball, it may be a little easier for these guys to have a fresh start because they'll know, hey, yeah, we know we got ability, and I know they've got ability. That's one of the things that worries me about Kentucky. I think they have good players. Man. It actually makes March Toops look really bad that his team was as bad as they are this year because you know, again I talked about it earlier in the press conference or earlier this this in the show. At his press conference today, he said, you know, this is a guy who's been complaining about the new world of college sports for quite some time, and you know, it's been pretty clear that his fans have picked up on it, and they're just thinking, like, look, dude, if you don't have like it's fine, we love you. You did a great job here. But if you are not embracing this change and trying like hell to get act climate it and succeed in this new world, then like, have a nice life. Like we can't change it. It is what it is. Boohoo went about, it isn't gonna make it productive for anybody. So he went from being that guy to today saying that they've never been in a better spot when it comes to resources to go fix the roster in the portal. And I don't think that's like a crazy thing to say. In fact, I think that's probably what fans want him to say. But also, your roster didn't need to be fixed for you to avoid one and seven in league play, four and seven overall right now. And that's why I think this season's a real outlier for Kentucky and I hope that that continues to be the case. And one thing that Stoops is all because when Stoops's teams were ever this bad. It was because they had Joker Phillips players. They have good players now, and they're terrible as far as how you're valued winning and losing, and Stoops for the most part, has always had his guys ready to play against Louisville, even when games they've lost. The only year they didn't was in twenty seventeen, the last time Louisville won, Kentucky came on glued. They had players throwing trash cans. They were getting embarrassed by Lamar Jackson, and they were like taunting him as if they were the ones up three scores. It was really embarrassing. And I get Mad Jones a lot of credit because I remember him on his postgame show. We went on around the same time at that point, and I remember going in the hallway to go to the bathroom and he was in the has studio. I was in the seven ninety studio, and he said something that I thought was really true, that, like, you know, a lot of people claim he's a homer, which he is. I am too, Like, you know, he's a Kentucky fan, I'm a Louisville fan. Like nobody's ever made that a secret. But he said that a lot of the things that people said about Bobby Patrino's players whenever he went to Louisville and he came back to Louisville, like a lot of the things that Kentucky fans would make fun of Louisville players and just say that their stereotypical, you know, criminals and bad guys, and they behave like, you know, fools, Like that's exactly what their team did that day, and they looked like it. And it was the guy's named Jordan Jones who like wanted to like he would not stop trying to fight Lamar Jackson on the football field despite getting embarrassed by Lamar like every play. So anyways, that was the one year where I feel like they kind of weren't ready to play in that game. But every other year they've been one just better because Crackthorpe was here, or the last year of Bobby, or they've just you know, come like last year, you know, they didn't play great, but they made enough plays and Louisville gave him opportunities and you were able to we all saw what happened. So when I say that, I hope that this is this this outlier year continues for Stoops because if they come out flat and aren't ready and they get boat raced, that would be that would be another sign that, man, this is just this is like Stoops has had years where they're not great, and I'm not really sure how good they ever were in certain seasons, but man, this is just really bad. Like and this is another thing I'll say before we get to basketball again, this is that's what this game is.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 2: I say, we're gonna get to it, and I just start talking and can't stop. But there are Kentucky fans right now that if you just go and look at the toxic wasteland that is Twitter, like, there's all kinds of Kentucky fans talking about how Stoops needs to go, he needs to move on. John summerl should be here. Stoops is a bums Like there's a lot of fans that are already out on Stoops. I'm sure they're going to eventually buy in once again if he starts landing players in the portal, because that's what fans do. And I don't even mean that as a criticism, like what are you gonna do not be a fan because they kept a coach that you wanted to move on, so they're already out on him as of now. It'll likely change, but here's one thing I do know. If he wins this game, it will prove what we already know, that this game is that important to both sides, and they will not be wanting him gone like they did for the last I don't know month or so really since their season fell off the rails. If he loses, I think you will hear a level because look in years where they haven't been good or they were decent, or even years that you know they were, they were pretty good, like they really love to beat Louisville like it's in. Even in years where they don't feel like they accomplished much. If they have that, they feel better about themselves, and I don't blame them. That's what this rivalry game is. So I think if they were to lose this game, even though they're already bad, because it's something they've been accustomed to for a long time. Again, twenty seventeen's last time Olevlle won this game. If they lose to Louisville, even if it's like a close game and they lose, I think you will hear a level of volume you did not know existed or you did not know possible as far as Kentucky fans that want that man out of town, and they may not know it because they're thinking, oh, we already suck. I've watched us play all year. We lost to Vandy at home. We can lose to and we can lose to Louisville. You're saying that now, but I think some of them you don't really know what that's going to do to you till it happens. Because even in years you didn't feel like you were great, you could always punk Louisville. And that's why I've hated that Louisville's been in this situation because I've never felt like Kentucky during the Stoops era was ever as good as they thought they were or as good as they acted like. And it really doesn't have any to do with with Louisville. But you know, I know how this works, Like who am I to say that Kentucky's underwhelming or Kentucky stinks? And you know their bums whenever they've beatn Louisville for the last time or many times they played them like it, you know it falls flat. So we'll see what happens on Saturday, all right, Louisville basketball, Pat Kelsey, they will. In fact, they arrived earlier today. I think they landed earlier this afternoon in the Bahamas. I think Pat's gonna have a press conference tomorrow to get set for the matchup against Indiana. We'll certainly let you guys here's some of that. I think it's going to be at noon, so we'll probably have at least I hope we'll have some sound to share with you guys on the show tomorrow. But right now, no spread yet, of course, because you know, too early. But Ken Palm Louisville and Indiana projected score. Have you seen this, John, I have it. I think it might surprise you because it does surprise me. But then again, it's early.
Speaker 1: I bet the deficit. I bet it's like a four point win for Indiana.
Speaker 2: Pretty damn close. Three point okay. Seventy seven. Seventy four is the projected score in Kent for Ken Palm. And you know, we'll get into Indiana coming up here, because I'm certainly gonna lean on you to to talk a little bit about this Indiana basketball team. What we've got you today, John won't be with us tomorrow or Wednesday. So we'll certainly get his thoughts because he can tell us more about the Hoosiers than anybody else, and he's the best at covering the Hoosiers. So we're gonna we're gonna utilize him. We're gonna use him while we can. Just you know, he's getting used all over the place. He's doing his own show, he's doing has he's with us now, So we're just you know, we're just working him to death around here, and we're going to take advantage of him because that's what they do in this business. You'll learn that if you haven't already, and I think you have. Actually I said it, not him. I said it not him. But anyways, you know the Winthrop game, I don't really have a whole lot to you know, I don't really hope a whole lot to to. I mean, there's I have thoughts, but I don't you know, those two games against Winthrop and against who was it Bellerman, those were games that weren't really gonna tell you anything, and all you can do is players on your schedule. And I hope, I was hopeful that we would see some things in both of those game. That's encouraging for when you get to the bigger tests, like games against Tennessee and everybody else that's in the field in the Battle for Atlantis, and I do think we saw some of those things, but like I'm trying not to go one way or the other in a far direction, meaning anything that was really encouraging, like looks it's Winthrop, it's Bellerman. Anything that was you know, a big concern, you still won without much trouble. And I just think when you play teams like Bellerman, especially Bellerman this year, and even Winthrop at times, like when you see Bellerman go to the rack on you and just take one of your dudes off the bounce to the bucket, it's you know, that's never good. But when it's Bellerman doing and you're thinking, oh god, what's what's Indiana gonna do? Whenever you see Winthrop with what was it? Let's see, I mean, because the rebounding the rebounding issue is a real issue. But yeah, Louisville gave up most of these by the way we're in the first half, but still to give up nineteen offensive rebounds to Winthrop and you only had ten. Like again, when you see that, that's never good no matter who you're playing. But you're probably gonna worry, Oh man, if Winthrop's doing that, yikes, what's Indiana going to do on the glass? What's West Virginia or Gonzaga gonna do on the glass? So you know, those are still some concerns. The concerns I've had about Louisville against teams of this caliber, we'll find out over these next few days. Really, you know, have they have they made big improvements to where they can be much more competitive, because they clearly weren't against Tennessee at least not very competitive, which, by the way, how good has Tennessee been? I mean, they fraddled Louisville, which again I still think that was impressive that they did it. But who knows, maybe that won't be even looked at as like a great win for them when it's all said and done. But they beat Baylor by fifteen, and they beat Virginia by twenty two, and you know, again, maybe both those teams aren't great, but Tennessee has not. Nobody's played close with them, which you know, what else could be looked at as kind of a scary thing is that Indiana beat Tennessee in that exhibition game, did they not? They did, yeah, And I feel like nobody even felt like Indiana played good in that game. So maybe Indiana's this scary team Indiana. And then again, this is probably something I can wait to get to, but I don't even know if I'll remember it when we're talking Indiana because any has done this under Woodsin since he's been there. They played at the level of their competition.
Speaker 1: They do, and they've done that this year.
Speaker 2: They've done Yeah, like they'll they'll They'll be in a game with a bum team early on and all the all the with the dockets call them all the bogga bullys that cover the Hoosiers are talking about it's inexcusable, what since Scotty's guys not ready to play again? And then they win by fifty and everybody's saying, what a great response by the Hoosiers. So, like, you know, that's just what they do and that's not what you want to do. But their early struggles at times against teams that aren't good, have never really mean, they've never lost a game like that, have they.
Speaker 1: No, they've had a few, thankfully so far this year they haven't had a scare like where they only beat more Red State by two or barely beat Army, but they they were down against Eastern Illinois at halftime in their second game, and you haven't seen Greensboro had them at forty a piece early on in their most recent game. So I mean they've had their fair share of struggles, but they also dominated South Carolina. And I know South Carolina is not a good SEC team by any stretch of the imagination, but they have seemed to play, like you said, to the level of their competition so far.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, South Carolina, Lamont Parris had it roll in last year was probably the probably one of the candidates for Coach of the Year with their big improvement, but this year they got beat by North Florida and their opener and then Indiana had no mean, Indiana had less trouble with them than they had against the teams that you know, like South Eastern Illinois who they ended up killing, but I think that game was actually kind of close early too. So anyways, back back to the Louisville side of it, with Winthrop, I will say this and this this trust me. I'm not trying to make you feel more confident about this Tennessee game and whoever else you play in the Bahamas, because it's a big step up from Winthrop, from Morehead, from Bellerman.
Speaker 3: It just is.
Speaker 2: But I do think that it's worth the least mentioning that the game Friday was weird for Pat Kelse. You know, Winthrop, and I know we talked about it beforehand, but Winthrop is a special place to him, and I think he honestly felt I shouldn't say like weird, but he did talk after the game. I got a chance to listen to his postgame interview with Bob Albano, and you know, he didn't say anything that like confirms this, but I could sense that that was a little bit of a different day for him because of who they were playing. He's obviously very very close with the Prosser family. Mark Prosser is Skip Prosser's son. Who Skip Prosser's is Pat Kelsey's You know, I don't want to say idle, but I'm sure he would say that he's his idle. I mean, I don't know that for certain, but I bet he would say, yeah, he was my idol. He was a guy he learned a lot from. It's a guy who really got him into the coaching business. That Skip Prosser coaching tree. I mean that includes some big names like Chris Mack who was here before. So if you don't know, Skip Prosser passed away unexpectedly many years ago, and that was obviously hard on everybody. And the Prosser family is basically family to Pat Kelsey and his family, So I don't think he was out there taking it easy on him. I don't mean that at all, but I think the routine in the day itself was probably a little bit different for them, and I think he actually might have said that word for word because of the opponent. Now, again that probably wouldn't have anything with anything to do with his team, but you know, maybe he wasn't his normal self because of that game didn't matter. You still won by fifteen and really used a late run in the first half to kind of put it away to where you never really felt like you were going to lose it. So you know, that's really is an excuse to get out rebounded by Winthrop on the offensive side of the glass. In fact, you got out now you ended uout rebounding them forty four to forty one. So look, they made some adjustments in the second half to where they weren't getting bullied on the backboard. But you know, I'm hopeful that they are competitive on the glass. Clearly, rebounding is not going to be a strength of this team. I don't think, you know, physicality is going to be the strength of this team. But it's not because I think that they don't try. It's not because I think that they're soft. I just think it's the roster and how it's built. And I mean that's also what worries me most, if I'm being honest with you, I mean, you don't want your guys to ever be in a situation where you just worry, like, hey, are they're going to be able to hang in there when they play against teams that are just built differently within the roster to where their guys are a lot bigger and a lot more physical and just you know, imposing presences. I don't have any guys like that, So, like, no matter how that ends up being the case, it's still a bummer. But I feel like knowing that it's not because of lack of trying, you know, that's what you want, but it's also a little more worrisome because man, I think they are trying. I think they are, you know, competing, they're just kind of getting you know, not bullied, but at times they just like they just get pushed around a little bit. And that's you know, doesn't mean they're soft, it's just and I guess technically it does mean they're soft in the eyes of some. But I really don't know how you fix that. And that's what I'm most anxious to see these next few games in the Bahamas. How can you counter that, because everybody you play is gonna give you a chance to really show what your counter is to you know, counter those teams they can just simply push you around a little bit. And I don't mean like, you know, beat you up, but like there's gonna be teams you play throughout the year where physicality is a big part of who they are, that's their brands. Louisville doesn't have that, and you're gonna have to find a way to work around it. And I don't really know what that answer is, but hopefully Pat Kelsea can figure it out. Speaking of Pat Kelsey, I didn't think it was a big deal, but it was the first time that he'd kind of gotten well I'll just let you hear he had an exchange with somebody in the press conference after the game on Friday that, you know, was something we hadn't seen before from Pat Kelsey. So I'll let you hear that. On the other side, it's coffee and Company we are. I feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Well done, John. I've never been to the Bahamas. It's a place my wife has always mentioned that she'd like to go at some point. But and I could be wrong, but I feel like you can get a and I'm sure there's a lot of beach vacation Bahamas snobs out there that will look at me like a peasant when I say this, And maybe you're right. I don't know. But if I'm going to the Bahamas to do like an all inclusive resort kind of like what they've got here at the Battle for Atlantis, I mean you get basketball too, which that makes it great. Like when we used to go on those trips a couple times a year, and we still try to go every now and then, but it's just a little, well one, it's a little more difficult to do with kids, and also we don't really want to go on that trip very long without our kids because it's just you know, it's we miss our kids. But like I could whenever we used to look into that those kind of trips, like I could get I could get play Adel Carbon Mexico or even can Kun for like substantially cheaper, and it's again not the same thing, but it kind of is like the experience, like you're in a tropical beach and you have all inclusive and like it's still beautiful. So I'm sure the Bahamas is awesome, but like it's always kind of been a little bit out of my price range. So maybe we won't end up there, but I don't know. Maybe Louisvell's back in this event at some point down the line, and I'm in a position where I can make the trip because it would be a lot of fun. Now, I think it'd be weird with Thanksgiving, just because you know, it wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving and I would miss my family. But if I could ever make it work, I would love to go to the Bahamas, really just for this event specifically, because it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Is this the second time Louisvill's played in the Battle for Atlantis? Yes, this will be Indiana's first time.
Speaker 2: I believe it's theirs. I mean, I know when they played in it. No, this is the third time, because they played in it in twenty thirteen when they won the title. They lost to Duke that year Gorky Jang got hurt and SPT had to start, and I remember Gorky actually came back relatively quickly. I think he came back for the Kentucky game actually, and then they played in it in twenty seventeen. Rix last year and they were up, which is funny. It got brought up by a lot of people on I guess it was Thursday night because Rick was playing. Well, I don't know what event it. Well, it's the Saint John's Baylor.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's the Baja mar Yeah, Thomas Championship.
Speaker 2: Couvill played in that when they were the Baja Bullies back in the day, whenever Chris Max last season when Mike Mike Begeese was the coach because of Max suspension. So yeah, it was the Baja Mart Classic on CBS Sports Network. So Rick played, if you remember, on the first night against Baylor and they were kicking their ass in the first half, up big and then somehow lost the game, like in a way that if you didn't see it, you would think, okay, wait a second, they're up five with the ball with nine seconds and lost, And yes, that's what happened. So a tough, tough loss for Patino on a buzzer beater from Jeremy Roach who transferred to Baylor from Duke. But you know, I would have never thought of it. But once somebody I saw make the reference, you know, mention of it, I was like, oh, yeah, that is crazy. The last time Rick was in the Bahamas coaching before that was when they were in the Bahamas for the for the Battle Fortlantis in twenty seventeen, and the same thing happened. Louisville was a big on Baylor, a Baylor team that I don't think was supposed to be that good, and they end up being really good, but he a big lead slipped away and they ended up losing. So Rick Patino going up against Rick Barnes, not Rick Barnes, but Scott Drew in the Bahamas has not been a good recipe for a coach. Patino, which you know, they had a good bounce back win against I think it was a Virginia after they lost to Baylor. But the lost to Baylor was a real gut punch, And then I watched yesterday they played at eleven AM against Georgia, which I thought was kind of cool. Those two teams stuck around an extra day or two in the Bahamas just to do a standalone game because I guess George is playing in an event that's not the Bahama or it's not the Battle Fortlantis. I don't know how many tournaments they have going on down there, but they were just both by and agreed to do a standalone game, non conference, neutral site game at the resort. So they played yesterday morning, and Georgia was just better from start to finish. So I still think Rick's got a really good team, and I think they'll end up being honestly one of the better teams in the Big East. Because the Big East, despite being a good league and obviously having Yukon win the back, you know, back to back national championships, outside of the top tier, I think it's not great in the ACE in the Big East. So anyways, I wish and I've just looked at the pictures during the break there of of the UFL posted on the Twitter account showing them arriving. And yes, certainly some jealousy on my end because it looks beautiful and I'd like to be in the Mahamas. But hey, you know, maybe next time. All right, So I'm probably giving this more life than than than it needs to have because it doesn't really it's not a thing. But I know at least it's been talked about, and for those who don't have contexts didn't hear it themselves, I feel like it's worth it's worth letting you guys here. So Pat Kelsey was asked by Matt mcgavick, who covers the cards for Sports Illustrated. Matt does a great job, and you know, I'm just saying this because I want I consider him a friend, but he's he works his ass off covering u of L and does a great job, and he's the one who of course, there was no intent. He did nothing wrong at all when he posted that team picture at media day that wasn't the official team photo, and you know, that created a life of its own, and he got hounded by some of LOIVEL fans who acted like he was doing something to try to make him look bad, which was nonsense, but he does a great job. And he asked a question to to Pat Kelsey that I thought was just, you know, absolutely a very fair and honestly a question that I was expecting somebody to ask. And I don't really know that Matt could have asked the question any better than he did. And maybe it's not fair to say that Pat Kelsey, you know, got mad about it, but not a shocker. Once I heard it that it became a talking point from fans online who realized, hey, we've never really seen Pat kelcey kind of you know, I don't even know if it would be accurate to say that he questioned a question that was asked to him or he was bothered by it, but it was just clearly a little different back and forth that we've heard from from PK. And I don't think it's an issue at all. I don't think either people are at fault here. But of course, again it became at least somewhat of a talking point online. But here here's the exchange ball sample size.
Speaker 4: But in that time, the toughness and physicality on both ends of the floor, especially like around the rim, kind of has some some ebb and flow to it not super super consistent. What's something you guys have to do moving forward in order to get a little bit more consistent in that department.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's your opinion. I think I think I'm pretty freaking gratty at the rim. James had five blocks. We're making hard plays on the ball, like we call it beating stuff up at the rim. You know, we take a bunch of charges tonight, can I ruse ring Smith took two? You know, you might not think it's consistent. I think our guys are playing your butts off defensively.
Speaker 2: So John, I'm sure you heard that for the first time. Yes, do you take anything from that, like, you know, from an objective ear who doesn't care one way or the other. Like it wasn't a contentious situation, but he basically asked a question, and pat Kelsey responded by, Baby, you know, I'm basically I'm not going to really answer that because I totally disagree with the premise of your question that we're not tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think like nobody did anything wrong though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could tell that Pat pat Kelsey was annoyed with the question because I'm sure he wants everyone on the outside looking in to see that his team is giving maximum effort all the time. So I can see where he would be upset. But it is interesting to hear him be that way kind of for the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and here's here's the way I see it. And this is just my opinion. And you know, I have this opinion from what I know of him. I don't think that he would tell you that you're wrong to look at the rebounding numbers and say, Okay, that needs to be better. He would he agrees with that, Like, I don't think he would tell you that, like, no, we want to give up more offensive rebounds than what we get. That's our like no, course not. But I just think his brand, the way he coaches, just everything about him is that he's going to have instincts that are going to always show to defend his guys even if it doesn't seem necessary. Because again, Matt didn't ask a question or make a comment leading to his question that insulted or like disrespected his guys. In fact, he probably could have been a little bit more direct about just the numbers. In fact, I thought, I mean, I'm I'm guessing mcgavick up here. But it's just the truth. I don't think he could have asked that question any better as far as not coming off like, hey, you guys are soft and pat just instincts kicked in. He's going to defend his guys because that's who he is as a pert, Like that's just him. So he'll challenge them internally, Like there's no doubt in my mind that he's not letting them know, you got a rebound, we got to box out, we got to fight because we're going to be playing teams that are you know, going to really try to clean the glass against cause we've got to come ready to work. Now, does that mean that they come out there and they can neutralize the issue that they have as far as you know, just teams are going to have pound for pound more size than them in the post. That's just the reality of it. So you know, does he get results that make you feel better? Only time will tell, But I just think that's going to be him. I don't think he's going to be defensive, and I don't really know if he was defensive there, but I just think instincts like he's going to defend his guys because that's who he is. But it doesn't mean he's not like he's not in you know. The direct answer there makes you think is if he thinks there's no problem with winthro about rebounding them on the offensive glass. And I don't believe that's the case at all. I think he knows it's a problem. They're going to work on it. But he's always going to be positive. That's just his nature. And if he wasn't that, he wouldn't be genuine. And I think this day and age, especially with the way college sports has changed so much, players are going to sniff out if you're genuine or not, and it matters because they now can sense that and move on from you if they want. You could be whatever. Whenever players had no control over anything, couldn't lead with that, sitting out, couldn't make any money. So I think in a way it's actually, you know, the timing of this new world. Who knows what either coach does long term, but I think Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey, both from a personality standpoint, are the kind of guys that would have a chance to really thrive in this new world, maybe more so than the ogs that think they can just you know, be drill sergeants and not expect guys to take advantage of the opportunity to leave. Now, maybe some of these guys will down the line realize they shouldn't have ran when they were being challenged and being held accountable. But either way, they have the right to do it, and they're going to continue to do it if they can so. And look, he gets on them a lot during games. I mean it's not like he's I just think that hearing that, fans were already kind of worried about it about like, hey, we got we got a rebound, we got to bucks out, we got to make sure we can't give up offensive rebounds at this rate to teams like this, and then for him to kind of act like, a't your opinion? I mean, I think we you know, I think we're pretty physical. I think we work our tails off. You know, it probably made some fans, and it did clearly because it became a thing online, which happens this day and age. But it made people think that he doesn't believe that there's that that's something they got to get better at. And I just think, you know, I think that's I mean, I get why you have why you came to that conclusion, But I believe that he's well aware that they got to be better at that, and I would be willing to bet that they've worked their tails off at making sure that they are. And look, I'll I mean, I would say it to him as well, like sometimes I don't think your guys are not getting rebounds because they're not fighting. I don't think it's because they're soft.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The reality is just from a physicality standpoint, like Cason Pryor is not a big physical presence, neither's James Scott. I mean, you really don't have that guy this year, and that's that's just something you're gonna have to counter. But it's nice to know that one they're not not giving effort. I think this may I'm probably simplifying this more so than than than most are, but I think these dudes, every one of them that's out there playing, and I mean it, every one of them, especially now that Trail is hurt, They've never had a role where they are really needed on the glass. They've been able to rebound here and there, but like they don't have the instincts to just turn and box out right away, because again it's you know, you should always do that, but you haven't always had to do that because you've played your whole career wherever it was, and you've never really been somebody that has been needed to be a seven eight rebound per game guy. I mean, I hate saying they're finesse biggs because that sounds insulting. Like Caseon Pryor is an athlete, he can go get rebounds like that, but like James Scott, he's a good athlete too, but like he's got to box somebody out. Like sometimes these guys get rebounds and that's what you want. But I'm like, man, he got that rebound because he's bigger. He got that rebound because he was in the right place right time. Like you got to box out and clearly, I mean that's basic stuff. That's stuff you learn whenever you're really young. I don't think there's a scenario where Pat Kelsey is not emphasizing, hey, we got to turn and box out when a shot goes up. But I just think instincts are are not there for these guys yet, because again it's gonna be by committee. There's no one guy on your team this year that's just going to clean the backboard for you. So everybody's got to be able to have the mindset of, like got it's gonna be a collective effort. Who knows, maybe one night Rain Smith, just because he's boxing his guy out, maybe he ends up with six rebounds and treyor I think could have been that guy, because I think he is somebody that is just a really gifted rebounder. He's not super physical, but he's a great athlete, has insane length, has good instincts. So you know, it's it's it's understandable that that's a concern for everybody, but I don't think if we go down there and see them, can you know, and by the way, I'm not going hopefully you guys are going to be great, But if we see this team continue to have some physicality issues and maybe one of the reasons why they come up short in a game or two is because of the rebounding, it's still gonna be an issue. But like, I don't think it's gonna be because they're not addressing it. And I think his answer put a little bit of worry in some fans that like, oh, he didn't think we have a problem on the glass and I don't think it's the case. I think he hears what he heard. He heard what he heard from Matt, even though Matt was I think trying to be as nice as possible, and he was very professional. But he's just gonna always defend his guys because that's who he is. All Right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour. We've got some sound I want you guys to hear from both Jeff Brohm and Mark Stoops. Five days away from the Governor's Cup game, and I'm going to be a wreck before this thing kicks off with the Governor's Cup game just five days away, as well as Louisville basketball getting back out there against a really good team for just the second time this season. Obviously, that's been a big part of our conversation throughout the first two hours. But it was a wild last weekend in college football on Saturday that I'm not sure really anybody knows what it did to like the playoff. I mean, could there be so much chaos that you know, they just kind of, you know, leave it as is. I doubt it, but nothing would really shock me when it comes to the Committee as far as what they do, and I know the AP pole is not the playoff rankings, and they're really seemingly done differently. But if the AP poll voters are feeling the same way that the or if the committee members are feeling the same way that AP poll voters are feeling about the weekend, then they're going to show us that yes, they don't hold the same standard for everybody. The SEC is going to get a benefit of the doubt that others just don't get, because I mean, Alabama has had enough shortfalls this year to where like we know, they're not even worthy of a playoff, like they shouldn't be considered at all, and yet they still seem to get this benefit that has to be because they're Alabama and because of the history and because of what has been done years prior, which does like I would say that, you know, I feel better about Bama and their ability and their talent than I do about you know, Vandy, because you know it's Baman, it's Vandy. But this year when the two teams played each other, guess who won Vandy? And I know people say, well, look if they play that game none times and they play you know, they're they played ten games, there's no way Vandy sniff's another victory. Well, you may be right, but if that's the way you look at it, then why don't we play any games at all? Why don't we just have the SEC Invitational? And then what would you say if you lost to Vandy in that? Like, I mean, I could just Again, I'm not telling you that I believe that Alabama is a terrible team, but you got to line up and play, and you got to win or you look you win or you lose, and then that has to matter. And like Alabama has shown us this year that they're not anywhere close to being what they typically are, and even if they were and it was just bad luck, it doesn't matter. They've lost. Losses have to matter. So again, the AP voters, let me just give you comparison here. Miami lost their first game of the year when they lost to Georgia Tech George Tech seven and four. Now George Tech at the time was solid, but that dropped Miami from number four to number twelve. Alabama's now lost their third game of the year and humiliating fashion, twenty four to three to Oklahoma, who was five hundred at the time. And by the way, Oklahoma only picked up their second was it their second or third victory at SEC? Either way, Now Alabama has two losses to unranked teams and they drop from number seven to number thirteen. Like I'm not saying they should be outside the top twenty five, but like other teams, what they with the same results, same situation. If they don't have the brand of Alabama and they don't reside in the Southeastern Conference, they're going to be held to you know, they're going to be punished more so than than Alabama would be. And look, I'm not I'm not disagreeing with anybody that claims, like, come on, you can't tell me if Alabama played well, then why are we playing any games? If we're just gonna base it off of like, well, I know this team and that like okay, well, then like the games don't matter then right, like we just we For some people who claim that preseason rankings are stupid and preseason rankings don't matter and the ape pole stupid, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It creates the perception and the SEC and preseason rankings and in the AP pole, and really, since the beginning of time, they're not held accountable like other other leagues are. And yes, it is the best league in college football. Nobody would tell you otherwise. But if that's just what if we're all just going to accept that and then realize, well, because we know the league is the top league, we just can't hold them accountable like we do the other teams. Then again, why are you even playing games? Just go in your go have your own like the SEC should just play itself. I mean, that will never happen because then who would they be able to claim that they're better there? Like, it's just this is a year where the committee playoff committee, those who you know, decide who gets in. They're gonna there's gonna be no gray area. It's gonna be quite clear. Either they finally did hold the SEC accountable, just like they hold other leagues accountable, or they're confirming what we've accused them of since the beginning, which is that they just clearly think the SEC is.
Speaker 4: Work.
Speaker 2: And again, I'm not saying it's not the best league, But if that's your counter to why you shouldn't be held accountable the same way a Miami is when they lose to Georgia Tech. The same way in Indiana is when they lose to Ohio State at Ohio State, then you're telling us the games don't matter, and last time I check, they do. Maybe I'm wrong. All Right, we got another hour left and a lot more to get into. We'll let you hear from Jeff Brohm, Mark Stoops, both guys talking about this rivalry matchup on Saturday, and we'll let you guys be a part of the show as well. If you want to join in UKAM phone lines are open five x two, five to seven, one seventy nine hundred. Again it is Coffee and Company Filbeth Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety