Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County, and it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Good morning, this is your wake up call for Monday, May nineteenth.
Speaker 3: I'm Heather Brooker in for Amy King.
Speaker 2: She is a little bit under the weather this morning, so I'm more than happy to step in and let her get a little extra rest.
Speaker 3: That's that post Paris flu right well, yeah, I had to make that vacation last nar right.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Well, we are sending Amy lots of love, hope that she feels well. If there's a few people out stick in the KFI newsroom, send your prayers for us.
Speaker 3: Today we're going down. I'm not touching anything. Don't touch that thing, don't touch the things. But that's all right.
Speaker 2: We've still got lots of good news to cover for you guys, and we're gonna just jump right on in.
Speaker 3: Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call.
Speaker 2: The FBI has deemed Saturday's car bombing outside of fertility clinic in Palm Springs an act of terrorism. The explosion killed the suspect, twenty five year old Guy Barkas and four other people were hurt. Officials say Barcas reportedly targeted the clinic due to its IVF services and his anti nationalist views. Authorities are investigating his manifesto and attempted live stream of the attack. Fortunately, no staff or embryos at the clinic were harmed. New billboards have been put up around South LA to raise awareness of unsolved murders.
Speaker 3: The Group for Murdered.
Speaker 2: Children, as it's called, have put up seven billboards showing photos of people killed over the last few years. The group hopes everyone and anyone who knows anything about the murders will come forward. Former President Biden has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer that has metastasized to his bones. Officials say the cancer is hormone sensitive, which means there are some treatment options. Biden and his family are currently reviewing medical plans. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call at five oh five. From fake text to AI generated voices, Deep fakes are getting harder to spot, and the FBI is sounding the alarm. We're going to tell you how you can protect yourself and what's going on when it comes to deep fakes. At five twenty Israel eases a month's long aid blockade in Gaza, but critics say it's too little, too late. ABC's Giordana Miller joins US Life from Jerusalem with the latest on the humanitarian crisis and Israel's shifting strategy. At five point thirty five, it's big, it's beautiful, but it's a bust. President Trump's signature tax bill is hitting some serious roadblocks on Capitol Hill. We're going to break down the high stake showdown between the GOP moderates Democrats and what it can mean for Trump's second term agenda. And at five point fifty, as we said, President Biden has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. We're going to tell you what we know so far and what it means for his health moving forward.
Speaker 3: Then at six oh five, it's handle on the news.
Speaker 2: Almost three hundred people were on board a Mexican Navy ship that crashed into the Brooklyn Bridge over the weekend. We'll give you the latest on what happened and what investigators are saying may have caused the crash. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The FBI says The person who died in a vehicle explosion outside of Fertility Clinic and Palm Spring Saturday is the man responsible for the intentional act of terrorism. Assistant Director in charge of the FBI's LA Field office at kil Davis identified the man as twenty five year old Guy Barkiss of twenty nine Palms, whose anti pro life writings were found.
Speaker 4: We are looking through that. We are tracking a possible manifesto out there and it's part of our ongoing investigation.
Speaker 2: Four people were hurt in that explosion. Southern California is going to get really hot this week.
Speaker 5: The National Weather Service says the greatest impacts will be felt in the mountains, deserts, and interior valleys. Some of the valley areas could reach the mid nineties today and could get as hot as one hundred degrees Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The NWS is predicting highest well above normal for this time of year on each weekday. That means a higher risk of grass fires as vegetation continues to dry out. Temperatures next weekend, though, are expected to be closer to normal. Mark Mayfield Kofi news Hi.
Speaker 2: For one, am not quite ready for the summer heat, yet I needed to be just a little bit cooler for a little bit longer. Also realize I forgot to say good morning to everybody, guys. I'm already out of practice. Good morning, Cono, Good morning Heather, and good morning Producer.
Speaker 3: And she's busy rushing around getting everything ready.
Speaker 6: Morning.
Speaker 3: Well, so nice to see you guys, and good morning to Will. Good morning.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories we're working on today. The FBI is ramping up warnings about the growing threat of AI generated deep fakes, and joining us now from Dallas is ABC's Jim Ryan, who's been following the story closely.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Jim, good morning.
Speaker 6: Most of the the targets in this latest wave of AI de fakes have been government employees, federal government employees who are getting messages voicemail messages, video messages from their supervisors or people who seem like their supervisors asking them for the passwords or other sensitive information. And sometimes those folks are giving up that information believing that that's who's on the other end or leaving this message, and turns out it isn't. In very many cases, heether it's an AI generated deep fake. We've seen commercials, We've seen political ads. There's one here in Dallas and his Dallas City Council race. Somebody with a supporter of one candidate created a deep fake using the opponent, casting him in a very bad light. And now that candidate, the one who's been targeted, is having to run around and clarify that that's not me. I didn't do that, So he can't campaign. He's wasting time and money leading up to an election. So yeah, it's kind of out there and it's not going anywhere, Heather.
Speaker 3: Are there certain groups of people that are being targeted most often by these deep fakes?
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 6: I mean, in this case, the FBI is warning about people who work for the government and are being targeted by there by people who purport to be their supervisor or even high level of government officials. Let's see, you get a message from a senator or someone asking you for some piece of information, and it sounds very, very convincing. The videos are convincing, the audio is convincing. It's just it's it's out there now, and we're seeing this being more used more and more at a lower level as well. You've probably heard Heather about to scam somebody gets a call from a relative, a cousin, or even a a son or daughter, a granddaughter saying that I'm in big, big trouble. I need money. Please send me this, you know, to get me out of this. Here's what you can do. Establish a family password, right with your kids, your parents, your grandparents, maybe a couple of cousins and aunts and uncles, and tell him, Look, if you ever call me or you try to reach out to me and you need help or you need money or something, this is the family password. Okay, Librea, how about that. That's a good one, Lobrea, that'll be the family password. You give me that password and all think about it. Otherwise I'll assume that you're a deep fake.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about how when we get these calls or when we have these deep fake interactions, is there anything we should be listening for. Is there like a giveaway or something that we would be able to tell like, hey, this isn't real.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I saw a deep fake recently. It was Elon Musk and he's on stage. You see him there talking to his employees, and then he starts touting crypto currency as specific crypto you know, and he wants people in the and a QR code appears on the screen and it's all very very convincing, but he's lacking his South African accent. It sounds a lot like him. The voice inflection and the tone is the same, but it doesn't have the same accent. So little tip offs like that and the odd word usage or odd inflections, or you know, a missing accent or an added accent. You can pick those things up if you listen carefully. But so often people aren't They They skim by, they scroll to the next thing, and they say, oh, yeah, Neilon Musk is selling crypto.
Speaker 2: You know, the video technology of deep fakes is really sophisticated, and it is often really hard to tell. But if you look closely, sometimes you can tell in their mouth, like some of the details their mouths maybe don't look like a normal mouth, or their hands, those kind of things. But audio is another story. Audio is you know, if you get a fake call from somebody, it seems even more challenging there to be able to distinguish the difference.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're right. Adobe, which creates some AI tools, one called Firefly now is working on tools to spot ais, to spot face they let the horse out of the barn. Now they're trying to get it back in so that maybe on the market at some point in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, I will tell you this and then I don't know if this is helpful to anyone out there, but one thing that I have encouraged, you know, my elderly mom to do, my elderly parent is if she has a question about something or even just the slightest like wondering if something is real or not, I have her send it to me and she'll go, there is this real.
Speaker 3: And that has been very.
Speaker 2: Helpful and very beneficial because you know, not to you know, throw elderly people or senior citizens out there, but they are targeted a lot in situations like this, and that has been really beneficial for us to open that dialogue and I can help her go, yeah, this isn't this isn't real, or unfortunately, yeah this is real as whatever the case might be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you got to keep the lines of communication open, especially with your relatives when it comes to things like this. And if you have that line of communications, you have maybe the past word you could avoid this kind of thing technology or not.
Speaker 2: And I love that password idea as well, Jim, thank you so much. Have a great rest of your day.
Speaker 6: Thanks Heather.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former President Biden has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer. ABC Selena Wang says it was revealed Friday that an abnormal growth was found on his prostate during a routine exam.
Speaker 4: Former President Biden has mostly stayed out of public view since he left office in January.
Speaker 7: However, he did attend Pope Francis his funeral.
Speaker 3: She says.
Speaker 2: Biden has also been doing interviews, pushing back against a slate of new books, saying he was dealing with cognitive decline at the end of his presidency. A new billboard has gone up in South la in hopes of solving some murders. Kfi's Jordan Christmas reports the sign at one hundred and fourth Street and Vermont Avenue was put up by the group Justice for Murdered.
Speaker 4: Children, featuring four people murdered over the last few years. A question was written across the board, reading do you know who murdered me? The founder of GMC says anyone who knows any information about any of the unsolved murder cases should break their coat of silence.
Speaker 2: Seven billboards have been installed across the city as part of a broader campaign to encourage witnesses and community members to say something. A UC Santa Barbara student has disappeared after a weekend with friends in Big Bear.
Speaker 5: Twenty two year old Tanner Prentice has not been seen since early Saturday morning. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department says he and several friends took a trip to Big Bear Lake for the weekend. Prentice never made it back to his rental cabin after going out on Friday night. Prentice has red hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. Mark Mayfield Kofi.
Speaker 2: News surgeons have performed the first human bladder transplant.
Speaker 8: The operation was performed earlier this month by a pair of surgeons from the University of California, Los Angeles and usc The patient is a forty one year old man who lost most of his bladder capacity from treatments for a rare form of bladder cancer. The doctors planned to perform bladder transplants and for more patients as part of a clinical trial Tammy Trio KFI News.
Speaker 2: The NTSB is investigating the collision of a Mexican Navy ship into the Brooklyn Bridge in New York. ABC's Allison Cosik. Cossick says the training ship has set sail on an international good will tour to Iceland on Saturday, right before the crash.
Speaker 7: The NYPD says it was supposed to head out to sea, instead losing power and heading in the wrong direction before striking the bridge.
Speaker 2: At least two people were killed and nineteen were hurt. The ship did not sink and the bridge was not badly damaged. Delta Airlines says it's going to stop selling tickets under the Basic Economy label so it can compete with a no frill's offerings of discount competitors. And the LA Dodgers have released veteran utility player Chris Taylor. The thirty four year old who played a pivotal role in the team's twenty twenty and twenty twenty four World Series victories, had been to the Dodgers since twenty sixteen. In California faces a dangerous heat wave this week. We're going to tell you more about that, and at six oh five it's handled on the news. President Trump plans to call Russian President Putin today to talk about the war in Ukraine. Israel is now allowing limited humanitarian aid into Gaza after nearly three months of a total blockade. Joining US now is ABC's Jordonna Miller live in Jerusalem.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 7: The Israeli Prime Minister announced late Sunday that Israel would be allowing some aid into the Gaza Strip. This is something that he and his government have essentially blocked for, as you said, almost three months. But now the Israeli Prime Minister is claiming that it is a dangerous situation. The humanitarian crisis is near what he called a red line, and he said.
Speaker 6: That the.
Speaker 7: Increasing state of hunger across the Gaza Strip could undermine and the Israeli Armies military operations, and therefore he was allowing in aid into the strip. We're only expected to see less than a dozen trucks go in today, but possibly more later today. We're still trying to get some official numbers, and this, of course will be just I mean, I don't think you can call it a drop in the bucket. I don't know what it is. It's like a little it is, you know, nine or ten or twelve trucks after so long without aid, you know it's going to help very few people. And clearly as there one needs to ramp up this operation quite quickly to make up for the rising hunger across the Strip.
Speaker 2: Now, when you talk about these trucks that are coming in, what kind of aid is actually in those trucks and how much of it do you think will actually reach the hands of the civilians that need it.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean we're told that the first trucks are going to include baby formula. There's been you know, a lot of reporting on children, infants, babies who simply don't have any formula. And unfortunately, because the situation is so dire when you're when the mothers are not eating properly, they can't lactate right, So baby formula is going to be key, as well as flour and some other canned foods. I mean, this will again, this will only help you know, maybe several hundred dozens. And whether it all gets to the hands of the needy, I think that's an open question because as we know, Hamas has been looting some of the aid, whether for their fighters or to sell it back on the market for exorbitant prices. So you know this is this is not a full proof system for delivering humanitarian aid.
Speaker 2: Sounds like they need to start letting in quite a bit more and hopefully that will start happening in the next just as soon as possible.
Speaker 3: And I know you have to go. I have more questions, but I know you have to go.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for your time this morning, and we'll definitely keep an eye out on this story as it develops.
Speaker 7: We'll talk san Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you all right here some of the stories we're continuing to follow in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County DA Nathan Hawkman says his office will be cracking down on criminals who come into La County from San Bernardino County thinking they can still get away with crimes. Hawkman posted a message on social media saying times have changed.
Speaker 9: Got a root awakening for those criminals.
Speaker 10: We're back.
Speaker 9: The DA's office is working with law enforcement. We're going to actually enforce the laws and hold criminals accountable.
Speaker 2: He says laws used to be lax in La County, but now he believes he is making a change. The US military is planning to do a test launch of an unarmed nuclear missile in from northern Anna, Barbara County. The launch from VanderBurg Space Force Base is scheduled for some time early Wednesday morning. The weapon being tested is a Minuteman three intercontinental ballistic missile. Military officials say the launch is routine and was scheduled years in advance. Metro's D Line has been shut down for a while.
Speaker 10: The closure of Sea Cruz can connect the existing line to its planned extension to West La. The closure will run through July twenty fifth. It means there's no train service along Wilshire between the Vermont, Normandy and Western stations, but Metro is providing shuttle buses to help commuters get where they need to go. Tammy Trio KFI News.
Speaker 2: Southern California is in for a big heat wave this week. The National Weather Service says people should be aware of the possibility of dangerous heat, with high temperatures felt the most away from the coast. There will also be elevated fire weather concerns. Some areas, like Woodland Hills, could see highs above one hundred degrees tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday. Temperatures should be closer to normal by next week. The only hydrogen powered car share program in the US is being tested in Riverside County. The Riverside Clean Air Car Share program uses cars equipped with hydrogen fuel sec cell technology you see. Riverside researcher Penn Wow TELLSKFI they protect the environment.
Speaker 9: Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle is a type of vehicle that is super clean that do not emit any air pollutant besides like water vapors.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: Data from the program is being used to measure reductions in miles traveled, fuel used, and greenhouse gas emissions. National nonprofit Grid Alternatives says a flawed rule is stopping some people in California from accessing.
Speaker 3: Shared solar powered battery energy.
Speaker 2: The California Public Utilities Commission has a program that allows home batteries to share stored power with neighbors during peak demand, but Grids Managing Policy director Emma Searson tells KFI the system isn't working right now.
Speaker 11: Californians who get their power through a community Choice Aggregator or CCA, which is about one in three Californians, aren't able to fairly access the s ship funds.
Speaker 2: Searson says, if nothing is done about this, CCA users won't be able to power their homes during an outage. Republicans have advanced their massive tax cut and border security package out of the House Budget Committee during a rare Sunday night vote. ABC's Chuck Severstein says the vote was seventeen to sixteen, but Republicans still have some work to do.
Speaker 12: The House Freedom Caucus Board of Conservative Republicans says it is still not satisfied with cost cutting in the bill. Among the five Republicans voting present, not committing support, South Carolina Congressman Ralph Norman referencing debt rating agencies like Moody's.
Speaker 2: The investigation continues into why the Mexican Navy's train ship collided with the Brooklyn Bridge on Saturday night. Officials said the ship suddenly lost power, two people died and at least nineteen others were hurt, and that vessel was carrying two hundred and seventy seven people. A Los Angeles barber shop is using an unconventional method to deter homeless encampments, playing the children's song Baby Shark on a continuous loop. The tactic has sparked debate, with some criticizing it as inhumane, while the business owner defends it as a necessary measure to maintain the area for customers. A biopic about NFL legend John Madden is in production. Directed by David O. Russell. Nicholas Cage stars as Madden, with Christian Bale as Al Davis. The film follows Madden's rise from Super Bowl coach to video game icon. There's been no release date said yet. Then at six oh five, its handle on the news. Deadly storms have ripped through the Midwest and into parts of the eastern US. Will have the latest on how many people were killed and the damage left in its path. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The FBI says it's looking through the writings of a man responsible for a vehicle explosion outside of fertility clinic in Palm Springs, and we will continue to follow that story. The first major legislative test of President Trump's second term is underway, and it's well not going smoothly.
Speaker 3: His proposed Big Beautiful.
Speaker 2: Bill would extend Trump era tax cuts while slashing programs like Medicaid and food stamps. Joining us now to break it all down, his ABC's Steve Roberts.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Steve, Well, good morning, and you outlined it well. Look, the core problem Republicans have is that they have only a three vote margin in the House to representative. That means that any small group can throw up a roadblock and slow things down. And that happened this week in the House Budget Committee. Four Republicans that they wouldn't vote for this big, beautiful bill. It ties together all of the spending and tax cut proposals of President Trump's first term. Now they relented last night and let the bill go forward by one vote. But here's the problem. You have on the right a group of hardline fiscal conservatives, and they've been around for years. There's nothing new about this. John Bayner, who was the Republican Speaker of the House some years ago, called this group legislative terrorists. That was the Republican speaker talking about his own members. And that tells you how hardline and relentless these conservatives are. And they have no fear because they all come from very deep red districts, so they have no fear of political accountability or retribution from the voters. And they have done this repeatedly over the years, have held out bills and say there's overspending by the government.
Speaker 14: But on the other side, you have a group of more moderate Republicans, many of them from California. And these are not people from Alabama, Arkansas. They're from California, New York. And these are Republicans who have won seat in suburban Los Angeles and around Sacramento, and they say, look, we vote for a bill that cuts Medicare and Medicaid and food stamps. It's going to hurt us politically and we're going to lose our seats and the Republicans are going to lose the majority in the next election in the House. So it's a very difficult problem for the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson. How does he keep everybody happy when with a three vote margin where any small group can hold things up. Now, I think in the end, because Donald Trump commands enormous loyalty on the part of Republicans, and every single Republican, no matter who they are and what district they represent, has a common interest in supporting Trump and supporting the Republican Party, and they're all afraid of Donald Trump too. So in the end, I think this bill is going to pass. But I think it carries a lot of political risks for Republicans, including some of those swings at districts right there in southern California.
Speaker 2: Now, you mentioned those three votes for the Republicans that are kind of the hard line. At this point, who are those three votes? Do we know who those who they are?
Speaker 14: Yeah? Well, it varies and you know, depending on the issue. When I say there's a three vote margin, that means that Republicans only have a three vote margin in the whole in the whole house, so any three can be the deciding margin if they decide to oppose the leadership and oppose the president, and that can shift who those three are. As I say, right now, it's an organized group of hard right conservatives grouped under the Freedom Caucus. But there is a group of others who have signed legislation, as I say, including some from swing district in California who saying not so fast, we can't vote for a bill that you know that cuts Medicaid and food stamps. And here's the other problem you know that you know, Donald Trump during his first term passed a massive tax cuts which were very popular, but they cost an enormous amount of money. You know, fiscal conservatives are always railing against waste, fraud, and abuse and over spending by the government, the big government. The fact is that when you talk about these tax cuts, this is just government spending by another name, because the impact on the bottom line, the impact on the defens is exactly the same as if you spent this money, and the impact is to deprive the government of revenue. And independent ANALYSTI has said the tax cuts, by extending them to cost four trillion, that's a ty for trillion dollars over the next ten years. And so there's no way that you can pass those tax cuts and have a balanced budget unless you slash highly popular and important programs like medicaid. So there's no other way of doing it. You can say, oh, we're cutting waste, broaden abuse, but that's magical thinking. You know, that is not going to save you very much money, and it's not going to make a big difference. If you're going to spend all of that money on tax cuts, you only have two options. You cut very popular programs to pay for it, or you expand the deficit. There's no third option.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there is a lot at stake here and we will be watching this closely, Steve, Thank you so much for your time anytime. All right, it is time now to get up in your business with Bloombergs.
Speaker 3: Cortidano.
Speaker 2: I didn't think we'd be reunited so soon for the get up in your business, but here we are.
Speaker 15: Well, we're back, and you're up in my business today. And there's a lot of business going on in morning, this busy Monday.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Capital One's takeover of Discover Financial.
Speaker 3: I guess it's finally official.
Speaker 15: Yep, almost fifteen months after the deal was announced. Capital One historically had to rely on VSM MasterCard to issue its credit cards, but now the company can cut out all those mentalmen with Discover under its umbrella. So the acquisition was wasn't assured at all. Some congressional Democrats oppose the deal, saying it could harm consumers by the way the two companies say, if you have accounts with them, everything's going to stay the same for now, so you don't have to do anything. But here's the interesting twist in all of it, because Discover is leaving the s and P five hundred Coinbase is joining. But the company announced last week they're Crypto Exchange. They announced last week that it was hacked and the incident is going to cost Coinbase four hundred million dollars. But it is a big day for the crypto industry because Coinbase is joining the SMP.
Speaker 3: All right, in Cho Bonnie is expanding beyond yogurt. What's that about.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so they're moving into products such as me and smoothies, expanding in your grocery store. So Chobani's buying ready to eat healthy food maker Daily Harvest. Financial terms of the deal weren't announced, but Daily Harvest has been working to rebuild its reputation.
Speaker 3: And had a pretty big hit.
Speaker 15: It had a recall of a lentil dish three years ago and it's sick in hundreds of customers. It actually led to a twenty three million dollar class action settlement last year. But Daily Harvest began as a direct to consumer brand in twenty fifteen. You saw the commercials everywhere. I know, I saw remember that all over Yeah, and they look so good, the smoothies. But now they saw through national retailers including Target and Kroger.
Speaker 2: All right, Walmart got some big changes ahead in the way that we're going to be shopping what's that about.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, speaking of target, Walmart is shaking up things because of artificial intelligence. So Walmart's 's a big transformation ahead in the way that we shop, not that we're actually going to be shopping, but that are going to be shopping for us. So it's developing its own AI shopper. So they're telling the Wall Street Journal it's building its own shopping agents that we'll be able to do repetitive tasks such as ordering groceries. The bob will also be able to fill a shopping basket in response to prompts such as I want to plan a graduation party from my child. That would be pretty easy being able to say, hey.
Speaker 3: Just fill it all with what I need to. Just tell me what I need to buy.
Speaker 15: I love it, except I'd like somebody else to buy it for me.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 15: If Walmart could develop that bot, that'd be great.
Speaker 3: There's the free grocery button. That's what we want exactly.
Speaker 2: And I want to quickly get to the breaking story. Bankrupts DNA Testing Company twenty three and me looks like they have a buyer.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So a lot of people were wondering where their genetic genetic data was going to be headed when twenty three Meter file for bankruptcy in March. Now this morning we have an answer. Drug developer Regeneron Pharmaceuticals is buying the genetic testing company for two hundred and fifty six million dollars now the same coming after a wave of customers. Government officials demanded that twenty three and meters protect the genetic data that it's built up over the years, but Regeneron is pledging to comply with twenty three a MES privacy policy, and Regeneron also said that it's going to continue to run twenty three and me's personal genomic services once the sale closes.
Speaker 3: So it's going to be something to watch her.
Speaker 2: All right, lot of big stuff happening today. Thank you so much, Courtney. We'll talk again.
Speaker 10: Soon, busy, busy, I'll see you later.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Former Vice President Kamala Harris says she and her husband Doug are saddened by the news of President Biden's prostate cancer diagnosis. She called him a fighter, praising him and his strength and resilience. Scottie Shuffler has won the PGA Championship, finishing eleven under par. It's his third major title and the praise of our pardon me the Raise. Pali Golf Tournament in Venice has raised funds to help Palisades Charter High School recover after a fire destroyed forty percent of its campus. The event that they held over the weekend supported a temporary campus and rebuilding efforts. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Bruce Springsteen is getting called out by President Trump for speaking out against the administration during his concert in England. We're going to tell you how Prunes are involved. Former President Joe Biden has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, and according to his office, the cancer has spread to his bones. ABC's Stephen Portnoy joins us now with more. Good morning, Stephen, morning to you. So what more can you tell us about his diagnosis?
Speaker 16: Not much. We have limited information, but here's what we have. First word of a possible issue came last week. Last Tuesday, when Biden's office at a nodule was found in his prostate. Then yesterday came word from Biden's office that the eighty two year old former president was diagnosed on Friday with an aggressive form of prostate cancer that has spread to the bone a doctor say that means Doctors who have not treated Biden say that means it's not curable, but it is perhaps treatable. And the Office of the Former Presidents is this cancer appears to be hormone sensitive, which, according to the statement, would allow for effective management. The experts tell us that what you could do is perhaps block testosterone that might arrest the growth of the cancer, perhaps further preventing it spread. Biden and his family are said to be reviewing treatment options with the doctors. We don't know what those options are specifically. However, doctors say that a man of Biden's age with this kind of cancer, as they understand it, could live five years ten years managing the cancer. But what you cannot do now is have surgery to cure it.
Speaker 3: Have we heard from President Biden?
Speaker 2: Is he making any sort of statement about the diagnosis, And how involved is his family in his decision making?
Speaker 16: Well, the family obviously is very closely involved.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 16: On social media, the former president posts a picture of himself sitting next to his wife on a couch. She's holding the cat. He writes, cancer touches us all like so many of you, Jill and I have learned that we are strongest in the broken places. This month marks ten years since the death of Biden's son Bo from a brain tumor, and shortly after Bo Biden died, as Vice president, Biden sparked the cancer moonshot, and as president, he set the goal of cutting US cancer deaths in half within a quarter century by the year twenty forty seven.
Speaker 2: Now, how are leaders around the world and people who've worked with him before, how are they responding? And even President Trump understand responded as well to the diagnosis.
Speaker 16: Well, to a person, people in elective office are expressing their warm wishes, hoping for the very best for the Biden fanily.
Speaker 2: And could this diagnosis have any political ramifications or effect on his public appearances coming up?
Speaker 16: Well, I don't expect that Joe Biden's going to be running for office anytime soon.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 16: When it comes to public appearances, I have no information.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Steven Portnoy, thank you so much. You're bet all right.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom set.
Speaker 3: Dinner Baby Checked It. Dinner Baby Checked It.
Speaker 2: A barbershop in downtown La has turned to that popular toddler tune that every parent right now I know is just cringing upon hearing. Well, they're using it to try to keep the homeless from setting up camps outside their business.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's annoying. It's also annoying for them to do what they're doing to the business.
Speaker 2: Shop CEO and founder shall Om Styles told KTLA he's trying to protect his business and keeps his customers safe and comfortable.
Speaker 9: There's no help I tried with the with the landlords, with the property managers, with the with the Fashion District safety team, with the police.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: The speaker playing baby Shark is going to make everybody move or draw the news out and have the city hopefully do something about it. Some Republicans say the president's willingness to accept a luxury jet from katar overshadows his otherwise successful trip to the Middle East. Kentucky Republican Senator Rand Paul says the US is the largest arms merchant in the world, and a lot of those arms go to Gulf sheektoms and monarchies like the Kataris.
Speaker 16: Couldn't color the perception of the administration if they have a four hundred million dollar plane to be more in favor of these things. Perhaps it at least gives the appearance of a conflict of.
Speaker 2: Interest, He says he doesn't think it's worth a headache. The FDA has approved the first blood test to help diagnose Alzheimer's disease. Neurologist doctor Leah Krohl says when tests become available, it'll be for people over fifty five who are showing symptoms.
Speaker 1: Test looks for two proteins in the blood that are linked to the brain changes we see in Alzheimer's, and it's over ninety percent accurate, so very very good.
Speaker 2: Currently, an accurate diagnosis requires expensive testing such as brain scans and or a spinal tap, which is a procedure that draws fluid from the spine. The Israeli military has issued an evacuation order for people in Gaza's second largest city of Communis, in some nearby towns. ABC's Lama Hassan says military spokesperson has said the entire area will be considered a dangerous combat zone.
Speaker 9: The renewed attacks come off to ten weeks of no food in crucial aid aid organizations down in the alarm about an imminent famine.
Speaker 2: Israel announced over the weekend that it will allow a limited amount of humanitarian aid into Gaza after a nearly three month blockade to avoid a hunger crisis. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin NETANYAHUO said Israel's allies had always concerns about images of hunger. A new book, a new book Outline claims that former President Biden's physical and mental health It's called Original Sin. In the book says Biden's health has become so bad there were internal discussions about putting him in a wheelchair after the election. California Democratic Congressman Roe Conna says there was no cover up of Biden's mental fitness ahead of the twenty twenty four election, but Democrats must admit their mistakes.
Speaker 12: There's a sense people want honesty, They want to restore a sense of public service.
Speaker 1: In light of what has come out, it's painfully obvious President Biden should not have run.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: The Democratic Party needs to be more honest with itself. Production in factories in the US has dropped for the first time in six months. In April, manufacturing fell by point three percent. It follows an increase in the first quarter when many customers boosted orders before the Trump administration's tariffs came into play. The latest data doesn't include auto industry numbers. Governor Newsom is looking to fast track a twenty billion dollar water tunnel under the Sacramento San Joaquin River Delta. The goal of the Delta Conveyance project is to tackle California's growing water shortages. In his revised May budget, Governor Newsom proposed speeding up permits, securing funding, and cutting down legal delays, but the plan is getting pushed back from tribes, delta communities, and fishing families who say it could damage the Bay Delta ecosystem and threaten water quality. Well, guys, we did it another day with Heather Brooker in for Amy King and wake up call. It is always such a pleasure to be here with you guys, and not so much a pleasure getting up this early.
Speaker 3: But you know what, we do what we gotta.
Speaker 2: Do, right Will When that phone rings were like, hell, yes, I'm here, Yes what do you need?
Speaker 3: De'll be there.
Speaker 2: Thank you all so much for listening, and of course we want to listen to you as well. If you can take a minute and hit that talkback button, let us know what stories you enjoyed from wake Up Call and what you're looking forward to this week, or just to say hello and tell us where you're listening from. Thank you again for listening to wake Up Call. This is KFI and KOSC HD two Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom for producer and technical producer KNO and traffic specialist Will. I'm Heather Brooker. You can follow me on social media at the Heather Brooker on Instagram or at Heather Brooker on TikTok and anywhere else you get your social media. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King.
Speaker 15: You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.