Speaker 1: Hey all turn me up just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that Man's Space five.
Speaker 1: Step in the song Michael Phone.
Speaker 2: Checker Russ and let's got the real intellect talks move Black Jazz on her late nights with a corboat deep and the topics come in from the struggles that the winds. They address it with grat drop. But that's so cool. You can fill the fans to kings of the graph, you know the rest kick black Patin, Welcome to the space. You'll go chillin with bursting less, you will go childing with bussing less. You'll go chillan with brushing last hang out Chus now your bother with nothing but the best space driver.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome in to another edition of the Man Space podcast. Now this this is the voice of Russ and this is another edition of the Russ and Company series where I take the time to interview some people, just amazing people all across the globe. And today is no different because ManSpace Station Today. My guest is a clinical psychologist and the founder of the Royal Oasis Psychotherapy Institute, with over fifteen years of helping thousands of people take back control of their focus, emotions, and decision making. He brings a powerful mix of science and real world mental performance tools. He's worked on the front lines of trauma care and high pressure environments, and he is the host of the long running podcast Meditations, where he has turned deep psychological insight into practical everyday strategies manspaceination. This is a conversation you definitely don't want to miss and welcome in my guests, Doctor Gregory t Obert, Hello, Rash, Hello, Hello, Oh, thank you so.
Speaker 1: Much for having me. And I got to say that intro song is just incredible. I love listening to it. It is so catchy, and I just I feel honored to be on the air right after such an incredible song and the very warm intro of course as well.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny because when the song plays, I'm really trying not to dance while I'm sitting here because I'm like, I know they can see me dancing, so I'm just like, let me just kind of I'll try to keep it as minimal as possible while I'm moving around. But yeah, that song is very very catchy. I just I love it so but thank you so much, and thank you for spending time with me here. So if you could just kind of share with the man Space Nation a little bit about yourself and how did you get into the world of psychology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's sort of a standard story that you would hear from mental health practitioners. Typically, people get into mental health for one of two reasons. Either something bad happened to them or they got some help from somebody and then they wanted to sort of return the favor. And in my case, it was a bit of both. So when I was in high school, my parents ended up getting divorced, and at that time it was very, very difficult for me. I was struggling a lot in school and I ended up seeing a therapist myself, and she was absolutely wonderful. She really helped me put things into perspective, gave me that space to work through everything that I was thinking and feeling. And coincidentally, at the same time, which was very odd for high schools, at least from what I've heard, we also had a psychology course offered, so I took a high school psychology course, and between both of those things, I just I had a sense of this is what I want to do, and once I had that, there was no looking back.
Speaker 3: Wow, you know, and to figure it out that early on, because a lot of times in high school we don't have a clue that our biggest thought is to graduate. That's it, very true. So just to figure out what you want to do at that point in your life, man, that is fantastic. And especially when you get into a point of knowing it that early, then going to college and take and studying that field. Because so many of us we graduate college and don't work in our fields. You know, that adds on, like added stress to try to find something, find a career, just to do something in general, just to pay the bills, keep a roof over your head, you know. With that, I mean, we talk about stress on this show and emotional health and things. What do you feel is some of the biggest ways as we could alleviate some of the stress that we deal with in our lives. I'm jumping right into the deep end.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, well, here's your simples. Just stop it right there, you go answer your question. No, of course, it's a little bit more complicated than that.
Speaker 3: Stop it.
Speaker 1: That's right. I'm sure it will work really well for you.
Speaker 3: There will be a new host on ManSpace podcast next week. Try that one.
Speaker 1: We'll salute you to us and say push you well in the afterlife. No, but in all seriousness, I mean stress is one of those terms that you know, I hear a lot, and I haven't often had a insistent definition thrown at me. So I like to use this definition with all of the clients that I work with, and it's this stresses when demands outweigh resources. And that makes the most sense to me, because of course we all have demands on our lives. We all have that pressure, and when we have the necessary resources, we're fine. We can handle it, it's no problem. It's when we start to lose out or not have those resources to still meet those demands that things start to get a little bit tricky. And of course we can do that for a little bit. You know, I suspect you and your listeners as well, have been in spaces where sometimes you just didn't quite have it an you or you think you didn't have it any and you just pushed a little bit more anyways, and you're able to get through. But if you're someone who's doing that chronically and just scraping the bottom of the barrel day after day, week after week, you're going to find yourself in some really dicey territory.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that definition and how you put it, because that is essentially life in general. I mean, we look at so much of what's going on today from gas prices, of food prices, you know, all that's increasing, and your wages are not going with it to help cover that. So a lot of people are starting to struggle and start to feel that added pressure and stress going on. So yeah, that is to me, that's the perfect definition of it. But I want to ask you this one. Being a clinical psychologist and helping people deal with focus and things like that, what is your opinion when it comes to medicine and this descriptions that a lot of doctors give to help deal with, you know, attention deficit and different things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huge topic. Now, I suspect it is specifically ADHD. Were talking just kind of psycho psychotropist in generals.
Speaker 3: In general, not so much just in general just ADHD, but just in general. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the research is pretty clear on medication. Twenty five percent of people only need medication and they thrive and that's it. They're good, right, Twenty five percent of people only need talk therapy, and they're good. Fifty percent of people need a combination of both. So I think there's a lot of people out there that we tend to kind of be very binary with the meds. It's like go all meds or go you know, no meds. I kind of think about medication is more like a crutch, and maybe you need it for a little bit of time to kind of get through whatever it is that you're working through, possibly in combination with some sort of talk therapy, but after a while you may not need it, though it's okay to get off it. The problem is, I think what you were speaking to, which is a lot of medical doctors, and this includes psychiatrists as well. Because they're mds, they don't really know much about talk therapy, nor are they supposed to. I mean, they don't go to school for that. Although I do get a little judge with the psychiatrists because I can't tell you the number of times I've run into psychologists who are asked to teach psychotherapy courses and how these psychiatrists just sleep through the classes, just don't show up at all. So they're supposed to know how to do it, but they don't always so of course, the incentive is there to just prescribe a medicaltion, and being that our culture is very instant gratification much of the time, Okay, well I'm just going to use this pill and I'm going to feel better. It's a very slippery slope for many people. Now, if you happen to have a medication that works for you, it evens you out. Maybe you've been on medication, you're able to get off it. Maybe you needed to go back on it for a little bit. That's okay. But I think if people just tend to go, oh, I'm going to go to my doctor, I'm going to get a medication and then I'm going to be fine. Unless you're part of that twenty five percent of the population, it's probably not going to be enough.
Speaker 3: Wow. A lot of times I do feel that, you know, sometimes the medication is not necessarily needed, and sometimes some doctors may not spend enough time with the patient to get really to know. It's almost like a here, just throw this at them and they'll be all right, you know, type of deal. It's kind of my opinion from what I've seen with some some cases, and you know, it becomes a little I think that goes back and adds even more stress into a situation for everybody who's around the person, you know, trying to make sure oh yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Just to jump in there, I would say that it's not really your opinion. I mean that that tends to be the case. I mean, psychiatrists are incentivized to really prescribe medication a because that's something that they're allowed to do with their privileges as mds. But then be what's going to make more money? Right, it's going to be I'm going to cram three four people into an hour, see them for fifteen to twenty minutes. How's everything going great?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 1: Medication? Find oh you need a change or you know, and then I'll see in three months. So that does tend to happen for a lot of people that are only relying on medication.
Speaker 3: Wow wow wow. Well, stress is something that everyone, I guess feels that they understand. But one of the things that I've read up on you you say that it actually quietly takes control of our decisions. Now, what does that really look like in everyday life?
Speaker 1: Well, it can be insidious. So you know, what might start out as okay, maybe I'm feeling just a little tense can actually turn into what I've called in the past amygdala hijack, or the emotional part of your brain taking over. So I mean, let's start with just let's say a typical day. Maybe you wake up a little bit late, or maybe you're a little slow starting, and you hop on the road, and of course there's traffic because of all days, maybe there's a minor fender bender, and naturally everybody's got to and look at it and go ten miles an hour rather than just keep on going. And you've taken some time off work recently, so of course you're late to the office, and your boss has given you the side eye, thinking that you need to be on time, especially after you've had all this time off. And then you sit down open your email and you have a ton of emails from all the time off you had. I could keep going, but I suspect you and maybe some of your listeners have been in this exact position. Heck, maybe they're in this exact position now as they listen to this episode. What can start out as Okay, well, I can handle being you know, a little bit slow today, maybe a racing thought or two, you know which which could could be I can handle it. I might have the resources in that moment. It could also be what is wrong with me, like I should have known it, I should have gone to bed earlier. I should have I should have, And now I'm bringing the hammer down on my self and judging myself for it. That can then spiral a little bit more with the added traffic jam, which can then spiral a little bit more with the side eye from the boss to the point where it's almost like death by a thousand cuts, as they say. Right, So, these these little pieces of stress add up to the point where your anxiety, which is just a clinical term for fear, your anxiety is going to start to raise. And I say you're able to operate logically in your zero to seven range, because typically when you're in that range, the logical part of your brain. This is the most neuroscience I'm going to give you and your audience. The space right behind your forehead is the prefrontal cortex, and that has to do with all of our decision making, our planning. And when we're in zero to seven, that signal is still pretty loud. It's able to calm themtional centers of the brain. Or at least regulated enough that we can get by. As soon as you find yourself at eight, that part of the brain gets very quiet, and the emotional part, which is in the very center of your skull, it just takes over. And now, instead of responding to the stress, you know, thoughtfully, consciously, you're just on autopilot. You're reacting, and this becomes I'm not even really thinking about what I'm doing. I'm just so worked up and activated and stressed that I'm just gonna do whatever I need to do to get that emotion out, which might be snapping at people, that might mean isolating, that might mean trying to hurry up and get through your work. And of course it's not going to stay at work. If it is coming out at work, it's going to come home to well, if you're buyers, live by yourself, it's going to come out in you know, some negative ways. Extreme ways could be like drinking by yourself. Even with family, it might be not wanting to spend time with them, being short with them. So stress is something that can impact us on the daily and it can start out very small but ultimately have pretty lasting effects.
Speaker 3: So what are some of the signs, Because you know, we all have loved ones, we all have close friends, we all have people that that may count on us, but we or or you know from children that you know, what are some of the signs that stress is actually driving the wheel instead of us?
Speaker 1: The great question, because I think a lot of times, especially especially if you're a high achiever out there, you're going to think that, well, I'm able to handle this, I can work through it. It's fine, it's fine. Especially as men, right, we tend to be like, it's fine, I can handle it. Rub some dirt on it, just keep going.
Speaker 3: On it. There you go.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately that's not going to make it go away. So what are some signs? Well, one of the common ones is you start to push away fun in your life. So those things that you used to enjoy you made time for, whether it's going to the gym, maybe it's playing sports, going to the theaters, whatever it is, you start to do less and less of that because well, you have so many other things going on and those are now going to take priority.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Another common sign is over stimulation. So it sounds ridiculous, but I can't tell you the number of clients I've talked to about this. They are dealing with so much stress that when they get home, all they want to do is just stare at a wall for like an hour. Oh wow, because there's just so much on their plate and they're making so many decisions, They're dealing with so many people who may or may not be competent in what they're doing, and so I just I need time away from everything. I don't want to look at a screen, I don't want to talk to anybody. I'm just going to stare at the wall for a little bit until I can decompress. Excuse me, Wow, another thing, I'll give you this last one or third thing. I could keep going, but the third thing that you're going to notice when you're chronically stressed, you're going to notice those physiological changes in your body. And because we're always in our bodies, we're not necessarily always aware of the changes, because again they're subtle and they can build over time. Are you clenching your jaw a lot more? Are you storing tension more so than you do? So? For me, it's in my shoulders, right. I know that if I'm walking around like a scarecrow, then there's something going on. So if you're able to pay attention to these signs. It's not, of course, a surefire away that you're dealing with too much stress, but it is they are likely signs. They are signs that you are likely dealing with too much stress.
Speaker 3: Wow. Last week I interviewed doctor Gloria Vanderhurst and we were talking about that just a little bit as well, and that just made me think of the physiological changes that you go through. It can also be weight gain, It can be something as acne and things like that that you're starting to see in some cases, you know, it could even be hair loss and things of that nature that all play into it. Wow. I was also telling her, well, you made me think of I used to work it for a company, and I'd been there for a long time, but I got to the point where I was just so exhausted and so burnt out with it that when I would pull into the parking lot in the mornings, I would sit there in my car and just have to close my eyes and meditate for ten to fifteen minutes just to try to make it through the day, to give myself the strength to even walk in the building, because I didn't want to be there and it was just that bad. And when my wife and I, when we started dating, we would give ourselves ten minutes. Okay, you got ten minutes, tell me about your day, you know, get it all out, and she gets hers out, I get mine out, and after that we don't talk about work anymore.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It was just that was the only way that I could, I could deal with it was just all right, let me get it out and now it's out. Well it's done, let me move forward. And that was my coping mechanism for it. It was just otherwise I probably would have just completely just lost it over those years. You know, it just you know, you think of it to a balloon, and you keep pushing air into that balloon, and sooner or later that balloon is gonna pop if you don't start letting some of it out.
Speaker 1: Man, it sure is. And I have to say, the techniques you were using, although they maybe didn't feel like they were enough at the time, those are some pretty high level the techniques that you were doing. I mean, spending time meditating trying to get your focus back is one thing. Then also having someone you could talk to to vent to to get all that negative nonsense out. But then putting it away for the rest of the evening. That is not always easy to do, yet it is something that can be extremely helpful well, because imagine if someone even with the meditation, just came home and just wanted to rage and kind of vent for the next hour. I mean, right, that's a whole hour out of the day, and then maybe you know, as the night goes on, Oh, this thing reminded me of that other thing that I forgot to tell you about it working. Now we're right back on work and it's now we're spending upwards of one two hours just just simmering in this negativity. And understandable if you have a job where you're feeling burned out, it's also not always going to help you through that burnout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so true, especially when you look at it as you're in the office and you're getting off work at five. Now you're coming home and you've spent forty five minutes to an hour in a car in traffic to get home, and now you're home in front of your spouse and you got kids there that you got to deal with. But yet you have this negative energy that you have not gotten out, and now the kids are starting to fill the brunt of all of this, and yeah, it's it's a it can be a very dangerous cycle if we don't deal with it in the right way.
Speaker 1: Agreed wholeheartedly and exactly what you said too. Especially if you got kids. They pick up on that stuff. Even if you don't have kids, your significant other is likely going to know, hey, something's kind of off with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, even your pets know. I mean, yeah, I know. My dog used to come in and look, so Daddy's something and look at me and let me go the other way.
Speaker 1: I got to give him those ten minutes.
Speaker 3: That's right, give me ten I could play with you. But a lot of times when it comes to stress, we are way more reactive in our decision makings.
Speaker 1: Why do you feel that that is the case, Well, it goes back to what I mentioned a little bit earlier, that when we are at a high enough emotional intensity that right or higher. Yeah, that's just natural. It's human nature that we're just going to react. Now, if we're talking about even the zero to seven, maybe we're still able to have some logic, but we still find ourselves reacting. I mean, it kind of comes down to just the simple idea that nobody likes to be uncomfortable. Nobody likes to be in a space where they're just feeling overwhelmed. They're feeling flooded with all sorts of responsibilities and not enough resources, and sometimes oftentimes people don't even recognize what's happening. So there's this internal battle going on, and then somebody just completely innocently is going to step in and maybe ask you for something, or even just want to have a conversation how was your day when that's the last thing that you want to talk about because it just drove you bonkers. So if we don't have those outlets to get out whatever is going on with us, it's just going to make things that much worse. Again, it's not going to necessarily fix the situation, just like when you're talking about speaking with your wife. It didn't fix your job for you, no, but it did give you that space to release some of the pressure. And so if someone's out there dealing with this stress and they don't have that, yeah, they're just going to start reacting, even when they don't necessarily mean to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're in that reactive space and stress is already hijacking your thinking. What's the first move that people should make to kind of interrupt that pattern?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this's gonna sound real woo woo. Right, And because I know this is a huge buzzword out there and everyone talks about it, and I'm going to try to convince you and your listeners that this is actually the best thing that you can do in those moments. The word I'm thinking of is mindfulness. So I know everyone's got a program, everyone's got a seminar. Pay me a thousand bucks, I get it. I'm going to save you and your listeners thousands of dollars on mindfulness seminars because I'm going to tell you everything that they're going to tell you right here for free.
Speaker 3: Here we go, all right, let's go.
Speaker 1: Mindfulness is paying attention on purpose to the present moment, non judgmentally. I'll say it again for those taking notes, paying attention on purpose to the present moment, non judgmentally, and by non judgmentally, I mean focusing on the facts of the situation as they are, not as we want them to be. Essentially, this idea of mindfulness is being aware of what's happening with us, within us, around us, in the moment, and that again, that sounds so basic, like duh, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, I am trying to tell you what works. To sort of draw a parallel to this. For anyone familiar with twelve step program, Step one of twelve is recognizing that there's a problem. Now, there's eleven more steps after that, but you can't do any of those steps unless you recognize there's an issue. And so I can't change my reactivity to stress if I'm not aware that I am stressed, if I'm living my life on autopilot day in, day out, because maybe I was never taught how to look inside myself, check on my thinking, check on how my emotions are impacting my body. Maybe when I work with the veterans, we say I'll censor myself for the show, but you get a case of the efforts right. I don't care. I know this is bad for me, but I'm just gonna do it anyways, because efort right. Right though, whether it's because you don't have the skills or you just don't care in the moment, if you're not mindful, you're just going to continue to react. So step one of anything is identifying how you perform under pressure, and what are some common signs for you personally that you're feeling stressed. I gave some generic ones earlier. Your other guest also mentioned some great clues. Once you're able to find those, you can make changes. Now if you're saying to yourself, Okay, Greg, that sounds great, but I don't really understand how to be more mindful during the day because this sounds very woo woo. I have to be on the go, I have so many things to focus on. Well, that's the thing. Mindfulness doesn't need to be, you know, like being a monk on a mountain somewhere and being up there for hours to be mindful. You actually touched on this a little bit already, Russ, when you said, Hey, I'm going to spend ten minutes just being with myself, being present and not focusing on anything else. We can start to build these mindfulness muscles by doing little things. So classic example, I use suspect you and hopefully your listeners as well, brush their teeth this morning. So while they were brushing their teeth, I doubt very many of them were feeling the weight of the toothbrush, tasting the flavor of the toothpaste, feeling the bristles on their teeth, on their gums. They're probably doing that on autopilot and thinking about everything else. I know I've done it before, and thinking about what comes next and multitasking. Yeah, but if I spent my one to two minutes brushing my teeth and focusing just on that, even if my mind wanders, just bringing it back, just okay, gently, non judgmentally, just bringing it back, focusing on that experience as it is, probably going to have a very different experience with brushing my teeth. And if I can start to do that with brushing my teeth, imagine what that looks like at work, Imagine what that looks like with family members. Because you're building those muscles, you can start to be more mindful throughout the day. So that's That's a lot of me talking. But hopefully all that makes sense.
Speaker 3: No, that makes perfect sense. Now I'm gonna ask you this just from my own personal because you know, this is to help me bump everybody else at this point, go for it. So one of the things that I struggle with is, you know, you talking about the toothbrush and focusing at that point is shutting my mind off because I'm constantly thinking of things, whether it's my nine to five work, whether it's doing this podcast, whether it's doing you know, doing all the editing, and thinking of my next guest and what am I going to talk about with the next guest. I'm constantly going to bed thinking of all these things, and to the point, if I get up at any point in the middle of the night, my mind instantly goes to thinking of all of these things. Now I have I went and bought one of those Bluetooth sleep masks so my eyes are covered, and I tend to listen to podcasts at night, or sometimes I would listen to UH meditation. I've listened to different uh the vibration tones at night, and I've tried all of those things, and it works for a little bit, and then I get back into the same old bolt where you know I've tried. I can't think of the guy's name, but he tries to UH talk you talk you to sleep, And so for a couple of minutes, I'm listening to every thought where he's now just imagining yourself and a running river, and by the time it gets the river, I'm thinking of Okay, so I have to interview this person later at four o'clock, and so now I've missed like fifteen minutes of what he's talking about because my mind is already thinking of what I got to do. What are some of the tips and that you would have that you would recommend for a person to be able to shut their mind off some and be able to just focus on what they're doing in the present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it sounds like you're dealing with sort of that overstimulation that's happening throughout the day because you have so many responsibilities. The thing that I would tweak is the expectation because I've heard that before too, which is I need to turn my brain off. Your brain's never going to turn off, and we don't really want it to until we say goodbye to this moral coil, Right, And that's normal, that's.
Speaker 3: Natural, Okay.
Speaker 1: The thing that we want to really look at is how can we direct our thinking a little bit more effectively? Because what I'm hearing you say, and I suspect there are a lot of listeners out there where this has happened, and grad school wasn't a cakewalk for me. I had the same thing happen, you know, with dissertation and all sorts of things. And so when you notice that you can't even focus on you know, Joe mcsleepy's really nice guided meditation to get you to bed, that is a sign that something is wrong during the day, that there's probably too much stress, too much stimulation. Now we can look at that and just judge ourselves. Right, this is the judgmental piece coming in of I wish it wasn't that way. What's wrong with me? I'm so stupid, I'm just a loser. That's not being mindful, right, that's just making things worse, spinning things up. We can start to build the mindfulness muscles by focusing on the physical. That's how we can get a little bit more in touch with what are my thought patterns coming up throughout the day, what are my emotions and what are their intensity level? We have to work up to that. So I mentioned the idea about brushing your teeth. Maybe it's a matter of setting an alarm on your phone to check in with yourself. What am I thinking? What am I feeling? Sometimes, if you're not quite there and you want to focus on the physical, something as simple as hey, how does your shirt feel on your skin right now? How does that chair that you're sitting in hold you up?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: What's that feel like? And I suspect for you, Russ, and for anyone listening who may be sitting in a chair and hopefully wearing a shirt, they probably weren't thinking about those things. I'm not gonna judge. You know. If it's late at night, go take me.
Speaker 3: We're not judging. Judge free zone here.
Speaker 1: If you're listening at work, I don't know what job you have where you're not wearing a shirt, but here we are. But anyways, my point is that you probably weren't thinking about those things until I said something, and then as soon as I said something, your mind was immediately focused on those details. Well wait a minute, how does that shirt feel on my skin?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 1: How does this chair feel on my body? Sitting with that for just again, ten fifteen, twenty seconds, you can start to build that up. And once you're automatically, because the brain likes to be efficient, the mindfulness is then going to start to become your autopilot. Right It's going to start to become that habit, which I know it sounds a little strange, but that's kind of our goal here. We want the mindfulness to be the habit so that you're automatically starting to check in with yourself once you have that down with the sensory stuff, checking in with your thoughts, checking with your emotions, checking in with your behaviors even can be something that will help out a lot. So as an example, when we find ourselves very stressed, we're going to breathe a lot into our chests. And this is useful when we're in very stressful situations because breathing into our chests activates our fight or flight system. Even if you think about working out right, there's gonna be short, shallow breathing wonderful.
Speaker 3: We want that.
Speaker 1: We probably don't want that when we're checking emails, when we're talking to our body, right, it's probably not going to help us out all that much. So what I can do instead, where I'm recognizing that I'm breathing shallowly into my chest, not judging myself for it, just recognizing it with mindfulness, I can then change my breathing patterns, which is pulling the air down into my belly. That's going to activate my rest and digest system. Bernie Singers out there. I'm talking diafromatic breathing. That kind of thing is going to help slow us down throughout the day. And if I have those autopilot interrupts throughout the day, well then by the time I get to Joe mcsleepy, my mind might not be racing so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, h Well, one more thing for me, and I do know that we have several listeners that are in the same boat. One of the things that I do from time to time is I may go to different events and I speak on stage. I hate it with a passion. It terrifies me. My anxiety kicks up to a tid.
Speaker 1: So don't sugarcoat it. Tell me how you really feel, you know.
Speaker 3: And they're like, well, you can do this podcast. Yes, I'm sitting down in my chair and I'm looking at one person, one to two people. It's not standing on the stage, you know, looking at fifty two you know, a thousand people, so it's different. But what do you recommend for people, because I do know a lot of people that are getting into the stage moments and trying to get more comfortable and doing this. How do you help somebody kind of get through that anxiety moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question, and oftentimes it's going to the answer is going to need to be a little bit more training than just one or two techniques can do, because if you're, say, at a ten out of ten, in that eight to ten range, it's going to be difficult. That being said, I can give you some practical skills that may help with the behaviors in the moment, but the deeper work that would maybe need to be explored in a therapy room for example. So when we're in the eight to ten range, the logic part of our brain again is turning off. So just like you said earlier, we'll just say stop it to someone who's you know, in eight to ten, someone who's raging, just calm down, calm down, that nothing bad will happen with that. So what we need to do instead is we need to focus on the physical the body, because when we cool the body down, we're going to cool the mind down because there's a reciprocal relationship there. So I suspect wherever you are speaking, unless you're in the middle of nowhere, in some cornfield somewhere, I suspect that there's going to be running water that you can set to cold and just like if we were to jump into a pool of cold water, that's gonna shock us and calm us down, well not honestly calm us down, because we're going to be in a survival mode. I got here, but we're not going to be overthinking in that moment. It's just going to be let me get out of this. And for my navy veterans in particular, they tend to know what I'm talking about. It's that dive response. We can use that principle to our advantage if we find ourselves in the eight to ten range, So splashing cold water on our face, having a cold compress, putting it on our forehead, putting it on the back of our necks. If there's a bowl available, you know, putting some cold water in that again that freezing. I want you to hurt yourself, but just cool enough that it's going to cool your body down. If I did that for thirty seconds, which at thirty seconds is a lot longer than we think, especially if you and I sat here in silence for thirty seconds, Yeah, that would be I mean, surefire, you know, wonderful podcast.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that would be my most listen to that's right.
Speaker 1: But the same is true with the cold water. It's going to cool us down enough that we might be able to with some additional skills in the zero to seven range by practicing mindfulness, come back online and be okay.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Typically something like that is going to get you from an eight to ten down to a seven. Maybe a six. It's not going to bring it down to a two. That's okay. Six or seven is uncomfortable, but still manageable. Another example that you can use in the moment is that deep breathing that I mentioned. That's something that can help us out. It's cheap as free. We always have it with us, and if you're in zero all the way up to ten, taking that deep breath into your belly, smooth inhale, smooth exhale, it's gonna calm me down just enough. Again, imagine taking let's say twenty breaths, which may take a minute two minutes, a minute to two minutes of dead air that's a long time. A minute to two minutes of deep breathing that's also.
Speaker 3: A long time.
Speaker 1: So those things can help in the moment. The underlying stuff that I'm talking about, maybe there are thought patterns that pop up for people who have trouble with public speaking around I'm not good enough. I can't handle this. I'm never gonna be calm. Yeah, that's where I would explore in a therapy room. Well where's that coming from? So talk to me about previous experiences when you are doing public speaking. What thoughts come up for you? Can we find a pattern? Was there that one person you know in grade school who laughed at you when you gave a book report in front of the class, And for some reason that just still sticks with you and Eve internalized it as a part of you that yes, I'm just a bad public speaker. Well, by once again making these things more conscious, be a mindfulness, we're better able to tweak them, to challenge them, and to then start to think a little bit more accurately about ourselves. I'm never the guy that's like, let's just think more positively and everything will be fine. If it was that simple, you know, none of us would have problems and I wouldn't have a job. What I'm saying, it should be great. You know, I find something else to do. But what I'm saying is we want to think more accurately about ourselves instead of I'm just a garbage public speaker. Maybe it's you know, I have some good performances, some not so good performances. Overall, I'm an average public speaker. That's very different from I'm just a piece of trash and can't handle being in front of a crowd.
Speaker 3: Wow. Wow, thank you, thank you for that one hundred percent. I definitely appreciate those words. So tell me a little bit about your podcast. I love further, you know, the mass space Nation to be able to tune in and listen to your show, So just tell us a little bit about what it's about.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. So it started out, if you can believe it or not, in twenty sixteen, end of twenty sixteen, okay, because I was invited to give a talk. I wasn't a psychologist at the time. I was a master's level clinician and I was invited to an agency to give a talk on depression. One of the things that they asked me to do was to come up with something people could take with them, and so I decided, well, why not have a brief meditation on depression to just kind of help people get through it, and maybe a couple weeks before they canceled the event. So here I am with this meditation and not really knowing what to do with it. But I always liked listening to podcasts, so I decided, why not just put this up and see what happens. And that's how Meditations by Gregory t Obert was born, and for many years I did every other week of posting free guided meditations. It could just be something to help relax somebody, it could be something to work through a deeper issue. For example, I've had ones on grief, I've had ones on self love, and I posted mostly consistently over the last nine years. But ever since I opened my practice, as you mentioned at the top, royal Otis Psychotherapy Institute, I decided to start filling in the off weeks with additional topics. So that initially started as a therapy one oh one series, so for people who don't really know much about therapy or how certain disorders can show up in people's lives. I created a whole series on that, and then I ran out of ideas for the series, so I decided what better time than to start doing the thing that I like listening to, which is interviews. So I've started to have people on the show in the off weeks, and in fact, i'm not sure when this episode is going up, but you and I will have an interview at some point. You've generously agreed to come on, and I'm looking forward to that very much. So it's really a mix of these guided meditations and then these discussions from people who I think can bring a lot of wisdom and knowledge to the table around mental health, around wellness, and sometimes even spirituality when people feel comfortable enough to talk about that. So it's been good. It's been happening for a long time, and I've had people reach out over the years telling me how wonderful the meditations have been. In fact, very recently I had someone in England even reach out and say, I've been listening to you since day one. I'm like, that's amazing. Yeah, because there was about I said mostly consistently, because there was maybe about nine months in grad school where I just kind of fell off the face of the earth, and he's like, yeah, I've listened through that. I listened after. So it was just it's really rewarding and heartwarming to know that, you know, my simple meditations that started out in you know, a basement have reached so many people and have helped them out a lot.
Speaker 3: Wow, tremendous. How can people find you and follow you, you know, on social media or their website and be able to get more information about you and your practice?
Speaker 1: Absolutely so the best place to go is my practice website, Royal Oasis Psychotherapy Institute. But rather than make you type all that out, I did Royal oasispi dot com. You can learn all about the therapy that I do. I do virtual therapy. I'm licensed in forty three states and some US territories, so if you're interested in diving deeper getting that customized treatment plan, I can help you out. I'm happy to work with you. Sorry to the seven states that aren't part of sypacked. Eventually they'll get on board, I think. On my web site too is my podcast. There's also links to my book, links to live streams that I do, including a dark Psychology series where I talk about the well dark psychology of people, gaming videos I do with my wife. So okay, yeah, everything is on that website. It's the best touch point as well as the best place to get in contact with me over email, but you can also find me on LinkedIn, Twitter, and I'm sorry X and Instagram.
Speaker 3: All right, So gaming videos, I have to ask, so what's your go to?
Speaker 1: So I've been gaming for much of my life. For the streams, it's been usually something more actiony. So right now we are making our way through Resident Evil nine. Neither my wife nor I have played it, so the zombies are jump scaring us like none other, helping with the reaction reels, you know. So if you want to see me and my wife lose our minds over zombies, definitely check us out on YouTube Rumble.
Speaker 3: Awesome, awesome. Now are you a consoleer or a PC gamer?
Speaker 1: I've been a console gamer my whole life, but obviously with streaming it's much easier to do on PC. So I've switched over to PC master Race, as they say, about a year year and a half ago, and I haven't haven't looked back. So okay, yes, the channel is because I had to make it as punny as possible the game obts, so that is our that's our handle, all right.
Speaker 3: I won't knock you for PC. I was good. I was gonna say, all right, which console are you because it was gonna determine whether or not this interview ended abruptly or not.
Speaker 1: Xbox, more like ex guest, get out of here.
Speaker 3: So I have one last thing for you, and it's something that we love to call the last word at now the last word. So bringing this all the way back around to men and psychology and getting therapy and help, a lot of times there is a stereotype with men that seeing somebody seeing a therapist is a sign of weakness. What do you say to contradict that stereotype.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's even contradicting. I would just say dispelling it because it's I wouldn't even call it a stereotype. It's a myth.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: What is harder is dealing with problems that you can't quite overcome on your own. And I know that men are told to be independent, do your thing, and just soldier on. But the truth is it takes a lot more courage and a lot more strength to reach out to someone that you may not know very well and say, hey, I'm not doing well and I could really use the help. I hear this a lot, in particular with the veterans that I work with and when they come into the treatment program which I work on PTSD in a trauma unit. There's so much shame and guilt around it, and even in outpatient work that I do, there's shame and guilt around all I have to see someone. But the truth is that it's not it's not a shameful thing to say. I just need help. So for those out there that are thinking it's a weakness, I would encourage you to maybe still to think about why it's a weakness in mental health, but maybe in other areas of your life. It's actually a strength to reach out to someone to collaborate.
Speaker 3: Love it, love it, and on that. He can't close any stronger than that. So I appreciate those words. That was a great ending to this episode. Doctor Gregory, Thank you so much for spending time with us. This has been a tremendous and eye opening episode, very informational field episode of the ManSpace podcast. And I appreciate you spending the time with us, and much success with the show, the gaming channel, and everything else that you're doing ManSpace Nation. Make sure you go check out his website, make sure you go follow check out the gaming listen to the podcast, and let's just continue to push all of this forward. And you know, and and if you're in a situation and you need help. Here's the man that can help you. So check him out, Doctor Gregory. As we close out, thank you so much, and man Space Nation, we are out of here. No gimmicks, just game that a sur in sight.
Speaker 1: They shine like the city on a Friday night. Man talk, really talk.
Speaker 3: That's the way that you blessed him acknowledging some lives and.
Speaker 1: The same for nets.
Speaker 2: From light boats to the jokes doadic they get a tag team champions Yailer chat with the witch.
Speaker 1: So pull up a chair at the stretchtide. Jest from the beat drops you.
Speaker 3: Know the rest.
Speaker 2: You'll go chilling with busting, lest you'll go chilling with Bussing, Lest you'll go chillan with Bussing.
Speaker 3: Last hang out because sell you hab
Speaker 2: It wouldn't have been but the bed ex Forever