Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Nicole. As we started Tuesday night four hour ride, we're gonna take you all the way to midnight, well just about two minutes before midnight. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside, heard every Monday through Friday night here on WBC Boston's news radio ten thirty. It's big am stick here in Boston. We broadcast well, we get to about half the country, believe it or not, with a fifty thousand watt clear channel signal. Rob Brooks is back in the control room in the broadcast house, all set to take your calls, but not until nine o'clock. We have four very interesting guests with four very interesting topics. As always here in the eight o'clock hour, we're gonna start off with Kate Wiseman of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. She's a state lead Ambassador for Massachusetts and a cervical cancer survivor. Kate Wiseman, welcome to Welcome to Nightside. Big Day, Big Days.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Yeah, Big Day, Big Day, Big evening too. We're at the UH. We're in downtown Washington, d C. At the lights of Hope ceremony, which is a beautiful celebration of our of our efforts today in honor of all of the loved ones we're doing it all for. So it was a long day and it's a beautiful night here.
Speaker 2: You mentioned you anticipated my first question, So how many folks from Massachusetts are down there and how many folks were working throughout the day lobbying legislators.
Speaker 3: Well, in Massachusetts we had fifteen volunteers representing all nine districts very proudly meeting with our federal lawmakers. But we had over seven hundred danas all across the country and from Puerto Rico and Guam and Washington, d C. Meeting with lawmakers. Pretty much every member of Congress was met with. Today we have over four hundred and seventy meetings amongst all the volunteers. So we certainly had a strong showing in Massachusetts, but really it was so wonderful to come together with all volunteers across the country.
Speaker 2: So obviously, you know, cancer is a horrific disease that has touched properly every family in America in some form of fashion, in some cases on multiple occasions. What is the goal to be accomplished today. Is I understand that the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network wants more cancer screenings of various types of cancer available, particularly to Americans sixty five and older.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's exactly right. So we were pretty clear with two apps today to our federal lawmakers. The first would be to really receive their support for the highest amount of funding possible for the NIH and the NCI. That is where the research and prevention FOLK programs come from. That are the reasons so many of us cancer survivors are still here today. So that was one of our first asks. And then we were also asking them to finally get across the finish line a bill that we've been working on for a long time called the Multicare I'm sorry Medicare mult Cancer Early Detection Screening Coverage app which would basically expand Medicare access to cancers based on blood tests and so they would be able to test for cancers via blood test and that would be mean earlier screening, earlier detection, which means more people would survive the disease. So we are really looking to get that bill passed across the finish line.
Speaker 2: Now those blood tests are available on today, but they're expensive and not every American can afford them. What sort of a price tag? I mean, obviously, if we could ever eradicate cancer or save some people's wives from can answer, there's no cost that that you would not be willing to bear. But what sort of price tag do you think is on what you were advocating today in Washington?
Speaker 3: Well? Currently, I mean thousands you know of dollars, and so we really need to make sure that Medica.
Speaker 2: Did we just lose her? Okay, well, let's let's see if she might be able to connect back with us again. Whenever we do these interviews and sometimes the guests are in a place where there's a lot of cell phone activity, what happened to Kate? We lost the connection. So we will just emphasize that if you are interested in any of this, which I hope you are, you can contact the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. It's pretty simple home age Fight cancer dot org. There should be you know, more screening available. Uh, there is screening available for you know, we've we've made some progress, but we need to have more screening available because we're we lose people every day and I'm sure all of us we have Kate back. Okay, great, I vamped a little bit. Kate. We got you back here. We lost a couple of minutes or so. I've just plugged the website Fight cancer dot org. Give me an idea what we're talking about just in terms of this cannot be a big ticket item. Congress deals with trillions of dollars billions of dollars. Is there a number that we're that you can associate this with or no?
Speaker 3: In terms of the cost of.
Speaker 2: The Eh, it's all in. If if today everything that you folks are advocating and suggesting, if it was all in, what are we talking about billions? I mean, I'm sure it's billions of dollars, but how many billions of dollars I assume it's going to be in terms of the federal budget of four point seven trillion, It's going to be a fraction of a fraction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, So we're asking for fifty one billion dollars for the National Institute of Health, including seven point nine billion dollars for cancer research at the NCI. And we're also asking for two hundred and seventy two million dollars for the Centers for Disease Control and prevention program in cancer programs, including two hundred and thirty million dollars for the National Breast in Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. So we're certainly talking big numbers here.
Speaker 2: But okay, now, is that is that about shit? Is that fifty one billion all in or is it fifty one billion plus those few other billion you threw in which will probably get you up around sixty billion.
Speaker 3: The fifty one billion is all in for the NIH and the NCI, and then the four hundred and seventy two million for the CDC cancer programs are a separate ask.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, those expenses, those expenditures are the sort of expenditures that government should be looking at. Did you get a sense today that again not that you talked to all five hundred and thirty five members of Congress, but did you get a sense today that you're making some progress here?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and especially in Massachusetts. I mean, look, at the end of the day, in Massachusetts, we have, you know, the hub of research and innovation, especially in the cancer space. So our Massachusetts lawmakers were certainly on board to make sure that the funding is there to make sure that we are saving lives. We're preventing people from you know, having to go through really expensive treatments as well. So yeah, we were feeling that there is a movement, and the needles certainly got pushed today a bit with us meeting with them and sharing our stories as to why we really need to get this funding through else.
Speaker 2: Well, Kate, congratulations on the effort, and we wish you all the best of luck because you're down there advocating really for all of us. The website that I just gave before, i'd like to give one more time Fight cancer dot org and hope you have a safe trip home. And congratulations on you being a survivor of a horrific form of cancer. Thanks so much for your courage. Appreciate it. Kate, Well, you're more than welcome give you a voice anytime of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network. We get back. We're going to talk about insomnia, Insomnia in America and what keeps Americans up at night. It might not be what you think. We're gonna be talking with Julia Forbes of the US News. She's the sleep editor. I always want to say US News and World Report, but it's I guess it's now formerly the US News, and she's the US News sleep editor. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 4: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on DOBBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, all of us, of course, occasionally occasionally have trouble falling asleep. I mean that's just normal. However, there's a new survey that reveals the worries that keep most Americans, or many Americans, I should say, up at night with us. Now is Julia Forbes of US News, but it is still US News and World Report. She's the sleep editor. Julia, you're the first sleep editor. I've worked with some sleepy editors, but I've never interviewed a sleep editor before. How are you tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 2: Okay, I hope you didn't take that comment personally. I was intended as a compliment. What are the big worries that are keeping all of us? Well, not all of us? I sleep like a like a log. I fall asleep pretty quickly and I'm gone for the night. But those who are not sleeping, what is keeping them up at night?
Speaker 6: Well, first, you're going to have to impart some of your wisdom and sleep secrets to all of us. Because actually we found in our survey that twenty two percent of Americans we reported this year or never report wake up feeling well arrested. So you must be doing something that we need to catch on.
Speaker 1: So I think it all on.
Speaker 2: I think it's clean living and getting into the gym and getting out and breathing fresh air. I think, seriously, Yeah, I'm kind of tied to the chair for four hours at night on my talk show, but during the day, I pretty much do what I want, go where I want, And of course I got a prep for the talk show. Now, no, no, I finish at midnight. All kidding aside, I might do a crossword puzzle. That's my secret. Do a crossword puzzle, maybe catch a late game somewhere on the West Coast, a couple of innings of baseball or a little bit of basketball or hockey. At the bitch of time, I'm ready to snooze. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 6: That's great. We'll circle back to the importance of sleep routine later on in our conversation. But to answer your question, so, the number one top worry amongst our respondents this year was the cost of living. And actually we've been doing this poll for a few years now, since twenty twenty two, and have had the opportunity to survey thousands of Americans, and believe it or not, since twenty twenty two, this remains the number one concern a month. Data that we've gotten back is the cost of living just increasing year every year.
Speaker 2: Everything's been going up. With that, We've had a lot of inflation. I can understand that absolutely absolutely. What's number two.
Speaker 6: Number two for this year is gun violence in America and that is followed also by the twenty twenty four presidential election. Number four we found the four inside is climate change. So very heavy topics that of course keep people up at night. But I'm happy to impart some wisdom on how we can settle down, wind down, and ultimately start sleeping better.
Speaker 2: It's here. Well look, I'm all ears.
Speaker 6: Okay, great, I'm glad because usually I can talk for hours about sleep and mattresses. So here we go. So I want to talk about the importance of sleep routine, which you just talked about. It's so important not to look at a screen than an hour out before bedtime. And I know that you said you like your late Next show and that worked for you. But we have something called circadian rhythm. It's like an internal thought going on in your body, and it responds to daylight. So believe it or not, there's something called blue light that's being emitted from devices. So if you're just scrolling through social media, some would call it doom scrolling, hence why we may be stressed late at night. But if you're looking at your device, maybe reading the book, if you're getting some of that blue light and it's telling your brain, oops, it's not time to go to stika. It's still daylight, it's still time to get things done.
Speaker 2: So that's rhythm, right. I thought circadian rhythm was a band from the late seventies. Now I know what it really is. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: I mean, honestly, it could be both.
Speaker 5: I'll check, but.
Speaker 6: You never know. I mean, anything's possible. But what I would encourage listeners to do is number one, the most important thing to do is set a recurring bedtime. The number one bad sleep habit that is actually third year running reporters for this year is people said that going to bed at different times each night was really messing with their overall sleep health and sleep schedule. And that's been the case for the past two years with our surveys. So come on, gang, we can do it. We're gonna get routine down, So go ahead, do your best, set a time and try and stick with that time every single night, because well, and behold, your brain is gonna start recognizing, Hey, I should start winding down to ten o'clock PM. Wouldn't it be nice? But ten o'clock PM is when I'd like to start, you know, trying to go ahead and start falling asleep. Number two for this year and twenty twenty three bad habit was screen time in bed. So, like I said, go ahead and put that device away at least an hour before bed. And that way you're like not doing skull and like I said, you're focused on getting your sleep routine down and hitting the hay as they say.
Speaker 2: Let me just ask one point here, which I think is important for me. Yeah, and that is I get the idea that if you're sitting in front of the computer or you're sitting in front of a TV, it impacts you. However, if you listen to the radio night side you go to bed at ten o'clock, that will probably soothe your nerves just by sitting there in the dark, listening to the radio, and you'll drift off to sleepland right.
Speaker 6: I've heard plenty of people who listen to podcasts, audio books. I would just caution whether I prefer to read a book before falling asleep, just make sure it's not a whore or a thriller or anything that's going to get your adrenaline going or in the case of our survey, your stress levels rising. Right, you want to be relaxed, so it's something that's soothing, relaxing, and who's to say, find part of the very team that works for you. And if you ever have big concerns like hey, insomnia, I think I might have it, or sleep apnia, this is really what's keeping up me up that night, talk to your doctor and they'll be able to guide you through the process of, you know, really establishing a healthy sleeper team. But in terms of the day to day that we can all achieve. Yeah, I looked at.
Speaker 2: The materials that you sent, and one of the things that I didn't see there, which I thought I would have seen, was problems at work, either people who were not getting along with their bosses or who felt that their job was a dead end, and they weren't going anywhere. Well, they were afraid that their company might be going out of business and getting shipped overseas. So job loss, surprisingly to me, was not a topic that kept people awake at night. Does that surprise you or no.
Speaker 6: Well, it could pop up in our data, but from what we gathered did the five topics that I've presented to you were the most prevalent. So it's not to say that they didn't pop up on our radar. It's just majority factored into these five. So who knows. It could be something for hopefully not, but you know, next year we'll just keep a pulse on it and be sure to report back. But as always, you know, try and wind down.
Speaker 2: You know, is this sleep survey? Is that done by US News and World Report or are you reporting on a sleep survey that survey that's been done by some form of sleep organization.
Speaker 6: So it's done by us, it's done by our organization. We use a third party survey tool of course, go ahead and pull thousands of Americans, get a wide data samples so we can report back to readers. And it's something unique that really informs readers about what's going on and also in a way brings everyone together because we're all going to experience sleeplessness and sleep is so important for our health, so we can all come together, share tips, tricks and vice versa, because it's universal. At the end of the day, everyone needs to wind down and relax, and man, I wish we can all get ten hours. So we're working towards it.
Speaker 5: Guys, we'll get it, but oh my god, better.
Speaker 2: Once again, Julia anticipated my final question, and that is growing up, you always told eight hours of sleep, and you know, I used to think, you know, eight is great, nine is fine, and eleven is heaven on weekends. What is does the amount of sleep you need begin to very at different times in your life? Obviously, new parents with newborns don't get a lot of good night's sleep, we understand that. But do older folks, people who are on the wrong side of fifty, that they need less sleep or more sleep than people who are, you know, on the what I call the right side of fifty.
Speaker 6: That's a great question, and it's actually one that we cover in my article. So essentially, anywhere from if you're eighteen to sixty, minimum of seven hours as recommended by the CDC. But let's caveat that. Maybe you have some health concerns, or you're in recovering, maybe you had a long race or just athletic activity. There are some nuances that might require you to get more sleep. But if you're above sixty five seventy hours max. You should be just fine. So again, seven hours minimum is usually baseline, and then it can go up from there depending on what you need.
Speaker 2: Right, So what you're saying is there is a point in time as folks get a little older, they don't need as much sleep on average. I know we're talking average here, right, so you know people don't have to take these numbers literally. But as you move, you know into retirement, you don't need the eight hours as what you might have needed in your twenties. Very interesting subject, Julia, really, and you've been a great guest and you've been fun to talk to, which which which for me is what makes a great guest, the great information and when they're fun. So thanks for joining us and we'll have you back. I'd love to you back anytime.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 5: It's been to blast all.
Speaker 2: Right, sweet dreams great. Thanks Julian again, if you ever con sleep, listen to my show I Go All the Way to Midnight. Okay. We're easy to pick up on AM radio. Okay, thanks, Thanks, Okay, And if you're having trouble sleeping Shore you can listen to Nightside. You can listen to iHeartRadio or get the iHeart Radio app wherever you go. All I have to do is just download it for free and ask to listen to WBZ Radio anytime on iHeart. We have a lot of people who listen on iHeart. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We got the newscast coming at you. Coming up on the other side, we have kind of a shocking report. This one says that there's a twenty percent hike, twenty percent increase in calls for kids at poison control centers for kids chugging energy drinks. This is somewhat something I really want to talk about. We're going to be talking with our guest, who's a registered dietitian nutritionist, right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: I want to welcome Uma Kalin's who's a registered dietitian and also a nutritionist, which means she knows a lot about food, amongst other things. She is with a group called Well Rooted Health and Nutrition. And I guess poison control centers. Poison control centers are reporting a shocking twenty percent hike in calls for kids chucking energy drinks. Uma, Uma, First of all, welcome to nightside. And when they say a twenty percent hike in calls for kids, how are we defining kids? Little kids, big kids? What's what's thet of the age range we're talking here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I mean, really, caffeine isn't recommended for kids at all younger than twelve years old. So when we see those statistics, it's definitely speaking to kids who are younger than twelve years old. Of course they're included in that two twelve to fifteen eighteen.
Speaker 5: I think it just.
Speaker 7: Really varies, but all in all, more younger kids, kids in ages six, eight, nine, even, we're starting to see more cases. Yeah, so it's definitely alarming.
Speaker 2: So I think most of us when we think about the energy drinks, you see them in stores, and you know there's some of them that everybody knows about. I'm not going to mention any of their names. First of all, why are kids drinking energy? I mean, what's the kick here?
Speaker 7: I really think it's just the increase in marketing. It's very appealing, even in gaming communities. If you think about that, it's definitely a thing. Hey, let's stay alert and be able to continue to play these games. The list goes on and on, just more availability being in the household or just readily available in stores. Sometimes kids will just grab them and take a sip, not thinking it's a big deal, but not knowing that even what we considered to be a lesser amount as adults is a high, high, non safe amount for kids.
Speaker 2: So with all of this stuff going on, generations of kids have grown up without energy drinks. We didn't have energy drinks when I was a kid. I mean, if you had a Pepsi or a coke, I guess that's an energy drink of some sort, but nothing like what's on the market today. What's the long term implications for young people today who are again using these They're going to continue to use these drinks as they move into their twenties and get their first job, and they hooked for this stuff. For us, I assume some of them are hooked for life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean with any type of caffeine source, we develop a tolerance, and typically people want higher amounts. You think about coffee coffee drinkers, it's usually let's have a cup to start the day morning, a cup at noon, and so the same thing definitely can apply with these other sources of caffeine in the form of energy drinks. And that's actually a really great point that you bring up. I think it's going to be really interesting just to kind of see how this plays out throughout their adulthood as they continue to get older.
Speaker 2: When did energy drinks become so popular that we now are are concerned. I'm assuming that you have been thinking about energy drinks before twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Four, Oh for sure.
Speaker 7: I mean I can even recall when I was in high school. I think the energy drinks that were really popular back then, which is many years ago, was Red Bull Monster. Those are probably the two big ones that were real popular. I even remember seeing a Red Bull truck come to our high school and pass them out for free to the students. I basically remember that.
Speaker 2: Well, remember they used to pass out cigarettes for free in the streets.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, So those are the ones that I remember, but I think over the years it's just been more and more different ones that have come on the market.
Speaker 2: So it was now red Bull still around, I assume in Monster so for sure. Okay, so they just maybe don't have as much of the market, but it's a huge What are the what did the whole numbers say? What percentage of teenage kids? And when I do these interviews, I ask questions that I think my audience wants to answer, and I don't necessarily clear these questions with my guest. What percentage of kids, let's call them teenagers seriously dabbling it with these sorts of energy drinks? How high a percentages? And I'm sure there's a percentage which you're telling how many of them are smoke in marijuana? How many of them have done this that or the other thing. Is there a reliable number as to how many of them, what percentage of site just teens or whatever, are using these energy drinks?
Speaker 7: Well, well, I don't have those exact statistics in front of me. What I can definitely say is that it is incredibly popular teenagers, especially for thinking, you know, high school driving age. They have the ability to go to a convenience store, They're able to go off campus oftentimes and get lunch and get these different types of options. And so with them being so readily available just about everywhere, I can definitely say that it is a very very high percentage. That specific percentage, I don't know just quite at this time.
Speaker 2: I have different states in an effort to maybe dissuade kids from dabbling with these energy drinks a getting hooked in the first place. Are there deposits? You know? When I buy a you know, a case of pepsi light, you know, diet pepsi. I was going to say course life, but let's keep it diet Pepsi. I have to pay a nickel here in Massachusetts and Nikola can as a deposit. And if I don't bring this, it's you know, it's yeah. It was very popular innovative in the nineteen eighties because we were people seeing cans strewn across the landscape, Red Bull and Monster in these energy drinks. They do they have to pay a deposit on their those containers or in most in most states or do you.
Speaker 5: Know, I'm not quite ture on that answer.
Speaker 7: I know in my own state that's definitely not the case. I do think that that would vary vice from state to state, but that would be really really interesting, just because I mean, I could even distinctly remember Jess. A couple of weeks ago, I spoke to a group of high school athletes and it was a combination of freshmen all the way through seniors. And in this presentation there, I literally just did a quick glance and at least seven or eight of them had an energy drink sitting on their desk. So I know that in class, in class, that was almost like teenager's version of coffee. They prefer that it tastes good, that these different types of energy drinks have such a huge variety of appealing flavors and these different health claims and benefits. It's not just energy boost but it's okay, it's got vitamins, it's got minerals, and so these other flashity, flashy marketing terms that can very well draw in these younger kids, these teenagers. So it's really interesting how much it's become so popular. And I feel like just about every time I go to the store, at least on a monthly basis, I see a new variation of an energy drink that's on the market.
Speaker 5: So it's definitely competitive.
Speaker 2: Here's a tough question. It's not intended to discourage you, but are you finding a losing battle?
Speaker 7: You know, that's a really great question. I don't think so. I feel like it provides a huge opportunity for awareness and education. So specifically, to give you an example, in that classroom, we were specifically talking about fueling for performance and sport and how as opposed to relying on caffeine, they really would benefit from being more focused on a balanced diet, fueling their body with healthy carbohydrates and really just giving them that knowledge that they can apply and understand. So awareness is really important for not only the kids, but the parents so that they understand, Okay, we don't need to be doing this. We potentially are drinking too much of these energy drinks and leaving them in the house. Therefore, our teenagers and kids have access to it and think it's okay, and it can be this positive domino fact if that education and awareness is more of a more of a push.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never I drink a lot of pepsi on weekends, I have. You know, my drink of choice is coarse light. But energy drinks have no appeal to me, I feel I have enough energy about energy.
Speaker 5: Drinks, right, that's great segment.
Speaker 2: I just did a segment last My last guest was about Americans, uh, not being able to sleep well at night. I assume that there's an adverse impact on kids or anyone who's having energy drinks during the week, never mind what it's going to do to their hot palpitations right around.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, absolutely, those are major concerns. And the and the kind of confusing part about it is is that sometimes depending on how young the child is, they may not know what's going on. You know, we see kids as naturally being energetic, very full of energy, so then we add that to the mix. It could definitely be a lot of issu use that that come about the consumption of routine energy drink drinking energy drink. So sleep is definitely concerned because that's going to affect how they function in class, their mood in general. And so yeah, there's a lot of things that could definitely go wrong in the long run.
Speaker 2: But well, you've been a great guest, Oma Collins, thank you for your time. Is there a website that we can send there, Yes, you can take we can go to and get more information let's have it.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's well rooted so r O O T as a tom E D as a dog H isn't haring and as a Nancy dot com so well rooted HN dot com.
Speaker 2: Okay, which stands for health and nutrition health and also the word so well rooted HN dot com. Great. Yeah, I really enjoyed my station. Uh. And I'm a huge proponent of what you're trying to do and make people aware because I got to tell you this is these are not good habits to develop.
Speaker 7: It's a civilis definitely, and I appreciate your support. We're doing what we can for sure.
Speaker 2: Doing great well. Thank you, Uma Collins. We'll be back on Nightside and I'm going to ask the question and I know what your answer is, and I think the answer will be a little surprising. There's a survey where which is the rudest city in the United States? No, Boston is not number one. Trust me on that. We're going to talk with an etiquette expert and a best selling author, keynote speaker who runs a group called Show Up Well Consulting. Her name is Jan Goss. Talk with her on the other side of this break on Nightside.
Speaker 4: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z to news Radio.
Speaker 2: We're about to talk about the rudest cities in America. Now, I know this is a generalization, but it's always interesting with us. Is Jan Goss? Jane, Welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 5: Thank you? Dan? I'm great. We're going from Boston to Austin tonight.
Speaker 2: Oh you're in Austin. Well that's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm in the Austin area.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, absolutely, Willie Nelson's hometown.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, that's I am not far from him at all.
Speaker 2: Well, say hello to Willie when you see him.
Speaker 5: Okay, I will do it sometimes I do.
Speaker 2: He's still going strong. Well, Austin is not on the list of the rude cities, but bost Thank god.
Speaker 5: I did check, Dan, I checked, No, I did it.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it. So we're not number one. This is not something you want to be number one in my six How first, we're number six. The rudest city right now, according to this is Miami, followed by Philadelphia, Tampa, which I wouldn't have expected, Louisville, Kentucky, which I definitely would have expected, Oakland, and then Boston. How did they decide, how did they do this? How is it done scientifically? Or is this you know, kind of a fun little exercise every couple of years.
Speaker 5: Well, I wasn't part of that part I of the poll, and I read.
Speaker 2: The sad news, is what you're telling me?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, exactly, I read. I did read the report, and they did explain how they got it. It is subjective because it's a you know, on a scale of one to ten, how do you write? But it was pretty comprehensive. But I do think, whether your city was on there or not, that we could all use a great lesson in protocol.
Speaker 2: Well, you're an adequate expert, So tell us some of the things that maybe we could fix, not only here in Boston, but we're hearing a lot, we're heard in a lot of these cities. Actually, what can we do uh to uh? I'm I'm a Bostonian, I'm a life Bostonian, and I got to tell you, when I meet people from other parts of the country, I really am delighted and I'm welcoming, and I really have fun talking to people from other cities. I really mean that. You know, we're supposedly cold and puritanical and I just don't think that's really Boston. But tell us what we can do to shed this image of being a rude city.
Speaker 5: Well, we need more people like you, Dan, That's the thing is. And I'm a firm believer. I do listen to statistics, I listen to other people's thoughts, but I travel and I'm in different cities, and I'm still a firm believer that most people are good, most people are kind, Most people care about other people. We just hear about the ones that aren't because they're so obnoxious perception.
Speaker 2: I love the people you're sitting in the traffic light and they have the music on their radio tuned up, blasting, and the windows are rolled down. I'm actually dak Raib who said, do you like the music? And he's loved the music. I said, why'd you roll your windows up so you can enjoy it even more?
Speaker 5: Exactly? Well, and I think you hit the nail on the head. The number one issue, Dan, is awareness. It's raising awareness. People are so self consumed that they are unaware of how their behavior affects other people around them. You know, we just get caught up in our own world, in our own minds, And of course then you throw in the electronic devices, and you know it really compounds the problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's no question, and I know that that I feel that, you know like you do that most Americans are really good people, you know, put aside the people who are going to try to rob you or something like that, you know, but the average American is a.
Speaker 2: Good person and they will lend a hand. I mean, I can remember when I lived in Boston and one day they had a parade in Boston of a group that dealt with a hospital here, and there was one gentleman that really had The older gentleman had to go to the bathroom and I said, well, you come up in my condominium and you can use the bathroom.
Speaker 5: I mean right, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: When I lived in downtown Boston, someone would stop me and ask me for directions. In Boston is a confusing city. If I was out just for say a walk, which I often was, I'd say, you know what instead of me telling you, let me jump in your cry and I'll show you, and they would let they would you drive them? I mean, you drive with them and get them to where they want And they say, what do you want to drive? No, you'll never find your way back and walk back. Don't worry about it. Yeah, why not?
Speaker 5: You know, Dan, I know that firsthand experience because you don't know this about me. But I started school. I'm talking kindergarten, first grade in Boston and as a little child. Yes, I remember one day I got lost walking home from school and a kind of course, now i'd be scared to death to tell my children and the grandchildren to get in the car with anybody. But you know, here I was in the Boston area and someone helped me find my mom and they were so kind, and I just I do believe there's kindness all around us. But we can do some things to shift this.
Speaker 2: Amount of time. Here's you. But I got to ask, what time did you grow up at? What part of Boston?
Speaker 5: I was in Natick?
Speaker 2: Oh, I know Natick. We lived in Sherlin for many years.
Speaker 5: Sure, absolutely, Maybe that's where my dad taught it BEU for a while. Yes, up there.
Speaker 2: Really, that's my law school. That's where I graduated from law school. Wow, yeah, we get there's these connections here. Jen. Unfortunately, I am flat out of time, but I love to have you again because I love your enthusiasm. I really love your enthusiasm. That's that's so important in a guest. And how can folks get in touch with you, cook, and you're an etquin expert, how can they how can they maybe talk to you directly?
Speaker 5: Come see me at show upwell dot com. Don't just show up in life. We want to show up well, Dan.
Speaker 2: I love it, Jan, I really do. You sound like a great guest and a great human being. And I think you learned well growing up in Boston. Thanks so much. I love that. Okay, we'll have you, bet I would like that.
Speaker 5: Be aware. There we go.
Speaker 2: You bet you? We bet you? All right, we come back on to talk with John Deaton. He's the Republican candidate for the United States Senate running against Elizabeth Warren. We invited Senator Warren to join us tonight. I'll let you know what her reply was right after the nine o'clock news, right after I introduced you to John Dee and we would be back right after the night