Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Crash Course Pod. I'm your host, Ash Toney, and today we're talking about two kids who turned the music world and their clothes completely inside out. We're going back to nineteen ninety two, the year of the Mac Daddy and the Daddy Mac. We're talking about Crisscross. So buckle up and let's get started. At just seventeen, not seventeen, twelve years old and thirteen years old, Chris Kelly and Chris Smith didn't just have a hit song. They had a global movement. But what happens when the gimmick fades and the spotlight moves on.
Speaker 2: Today we're looking.
Speaker 1: At the metack meteoric rise of one of the youngest acts and the youngest rap duo to ever tap Billboard Hot one hundred, the genius of a young Jermaine Dupree, and the sobering reality of life after the jump.
Speaker 2: Let's dive in now.
Speaker 1: Every great music story has a discovery movement. For criss Cross, it was the Greenbrier Mall in Atlanta in nineteen ninety one. A nineteen year old aspiring producer named Jermaine Dupris saw two kids with undeniable it factor. Even looking for a record deal. They were just hanging out at the mall as teens did in the nineties. Dupriest saw the potential to create a kid hop duo that actually had street credibility. He signed them to his new label, So So Deaf, and then went to work.
Speaker 2: What did he go to work on?
Speaker 1: They needed a hook, not just a musical one, but a visual one. That's where the backward Clothes came in. It was a simple, genius bit of branding that made them instantly recognizable in that flashy, iconic in TV era. In nineteen ninety two, they released Jump. It wasn't just a hit, it was a wrecking ball. I remember I was born in ninety one, but I remember the song Jump vividly.
Speaker 2: It was everywhere.
Speaker 1: Interesting. The adults around me even liked it.
Speaker 2: It stayed at.
Speaker 1: Number one on Billboard Hot one hundred for eight weeks. To put that in perspective, that was the longest run at number one for any single in years at a time. It was the longest running lull sorry, guys. It was the longest number one running single since Black or White by Michael Jackson. I think that Jump didn't work just because of the kids.
Speaker 2: It was the production.
Speaker 1: Jermaine de presampled the Ohio Players' funky worm, giving it a high pitch, infectious whistle that you could hear from a mile away if you know, you know, I tried to just do it on the spot. It also SAMs samples the Jackson fives I Want You Back, the uh huh and the beach structure. No no, no, no, no, no, no no no, I know, wait no, I just start saying Romeo, uh huh. Anyways, take my word for it is sample uh huh and the beach structure of I Want You Back. They weren't just cute kids. They were performing on the Dangerous World tour with Michael Jackson, and rumor has it that Michael Jackson like took a liking to them. I guess we could say they were friends in the industry. Also, the kids Crisscross were everywhere from Saturday Night Live to their own video game. Do we remember what jump sounds like? I hope I don't get copywritten, but are we in favor of a little bit of a snippet.
Speaker 2: That's what I was trying to do with my mouth. Anyways, moving on.
Speaker 1: In our Backstreet boys and Dojucat episodes we talked about mathematical pop and viral hooks.
Speaker 2: If you haven't heard.
Speaker 1: Either of those episodes, go listen to them after this one. Well, Crisscross was the ninety two version of a viral sensation, and they also had viral hooks and kind of like an equation for their success. But unlike a TikTok dance today, they had to maintain that momentum through physical touring and massive me appearances. Now Here is the crash course lesson. The industry is notoriously notorious. Sorry, I just had to say that difficult for child stars. As the boys started to enter their mid teens, they tried to pivot. In ninety three they released The Bomb, and with that they traded the kid image for a harder sound. It sold well, platinum in fact, but it didn't have the cultural earthquake effect of the first record. You know, Bottling up that would you say, Flash in a pan of Jump was going to be difficult anyway. Like I said about mathematical pop and the other episodes, Jump just has this formula which makes it in this disputably a viral song. I'm sure it will go viral within the next like year in twenty twenty six. Especially after this episode Anyways, by their third album, Young, Rich and Dangerous in ninety six, the landscape of hip hop had changed. The gimmick of backwards clothes was gone, and they were trying to be taken seriously as adult rappers. This is where many artists hit a wall. When your brand is built on being young, what do you do when you grow up? And that's exactly what they had to figure out. I was looking at some reddit at a reddit thread for Crisscross.
Speaker 2: Let's do you guys mind if we take a look at it.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look together. So the reddit thread is, what are your thoughts on Crisscross and our slash nineties hip hop? If you wanted to find it yourself? Anyways, someone said they had their place pop rap for sure, but they had an infectious sound and birthed a bit of a movement of child rap acts. They also had grown as men wearing their clothes backwards in the nineties Strange times.
Speaker 2: Another one.
Speaker 1: I recently listened to all three of their albums in one session, and I have to say I had missed out on a lot of good tracks.
Speaker 2: Rip mac Daddy.
Speaker 1: Someone else said, don't try to compare them to another bad little fat. I'm a bad little fat. It just something that you never had. I make you jump, jump, wiggle and shake your rump, all right? Uh, Young Rich and Dangerous album was fire. Young Rich and Dangerous was highly underrated someone else Those are two different comments. So Young Rich and Dangerous. A lot of people liked that album. Someone said, can't lie. I loved them as a kid. They had a lot of fans wearing their gear backwards. Jermaine dupre had a knack of creating stars during that era. Even after that era, wasn't he involved or had his hand in bow Wow? We need to do a Jermaine Dupris episode and a bow Wow episode.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned anyways, I missed the bus.
Speaker 1: A lot of people like that song. I missed the bus.
Speaker 2: I missed the bus, and I missed the bus.
Speaker 1: I missed the bus and that's something I would never, never ever do again.
Speaker 2: How does it go? All I remember is.
Speaker 1: I was up, he was up, but I laid back down, thinking not get chilled till the time came around, and he did. He did for a little too long because when I woke up, Yo, the bus was gone. I almost broke my neck trying to get out the door, and I chased the bus to my feet. Whistle something something in the trail, the trial, something some something.
Speaker 2: I no noth I missed my buss again. I missed my bus.
Speaker 1: I remember that song. I don't know how I remember these from being a child literally was born in ninety one. I don't know how I remember this stuff. Someone else said, without Crisscross, there's no June twenty seven beat, and without June twenty seven choptain Screw doesn't become a major thing. Someone said, hum, every album they got, they got better. Young Rich and Dangerous is very slept on, close to classic album. So I think I like stuff of all Off. All their albums. Jump is a classic, The Bomb and All Right featuring super Cat were solid tracks, and the third album had some bangers. To Nights the Night and Live and Die For hip Hop still sound great today. Young Rich and Dangerous is the consensus. A lot of people say that it's slept on, So maybe take out your pens, take out your pans, and write down that album by Chris Cross, Young Rich and Dangerous.
Speaker 2: So let's continue.
Speaker 1: Well, the Crisscross story has a tragic final chapter. In twenty thirteen, the duo reunited for the Soco Deaf twentieth Anniversary concert and they performed Jump Close Backwards and for a moment, the.
Speaker 2: Magic was back.
Speaker 1: But just three months later, Chris Kelly the mag Daddy passed away at the age of thirty four. I'm thirty four today, right now, that's so yeah, as someone who's the same age. That actually is more of a tragedy than some might think of.
Speaker 2: Anyways.
Speaker 1: The rumor is that Chris Kelly's death was attributed to an overdose, and I don't know if that's true or not, but regardless, it's a stark reminder of the pressures and the dark side of the music industry, especially for those who find massive fame before they even reach high school. We can take away something from this. Crisscross's legacy isn't just a funny nineties trend. It's a story about the power of branding, the brilliance of Atlanta's hip hop scene, and the human cost of being larger than life. At twelve years old, Chris Smith continues to honor Kelly's legacy today, reminding us that even when the music stops, the of the Chris to Chris partnership with Real Let's take a look at some songs that they have. Let's see here, so if we look back at Young Rich and Dangerous, since that seems to be a slept on album. It was their final studio album and it's widely considered their most mature work, leaning heavily into the socio death Atlanta sound. So we have the biggest hit from the album, which is Tonight's The Night. It's a smooth, mid tempo track that sample Phase Oh's writing high. It spent weeks at number one on Hot Rap Songs chart on the Hot Rap Songs Chart and showed their growth from the heigh energy jump. Then we have Live and Die for hip Hop, which is an absolute classic for nineties heads. It features Aliyah on backing vocals The Brat and Jamaine Depris. It's a tribute to the culture and has a very soulful, laid back vibe. Also Young Rich and Dangerous, the title track is a high energy anthem that defines the era.
Speaker 2: It features Big Group.
Speaker 1: And De Brat and serves as their coming of age statement. We also have Money, Power and Fame, which is a standout track produced by the duo themselves Crisscross. It samples ll cooj's I Need Love and highlights their perspective on the industry as they were transitioning into adulthood. And then we have the Streets An't Right, And it showed a much grittier side of the duo. It fames, It samples the romantics talking in your sleep and Notorious Pig's warning And that's your crash course on Crisscross. Tune in to the next episode