Speaker 1: Welcome to Destiny. Now here's your host, Cliff Dunning. Hey, how are you. I hope you're doing well today. This is Cliff, your host of Destiny, and today it's all about unusual creatures, hominins, and something that I've been interested in for Jesus decades, which is the classification of hominins that are not regularly, are not registered by the archaeological community, but are prominent. And I'm talking about the strange people of Praracice Peru, the various hominins, the various human like people that lived among the Maya, but are obviously not human in the sense that we understand. No, I actually say that I should repeat that they were human, but they were of a branch that is not with us any longer. Either they died out because of environmental conditions or they were killed off. There was a form of genocide that was committed. And we've heard about over the centuries different people who were eradicated, and we just never knew who they were because there's no one to talk about, there's no one to go to and ask about their background. Today it's more about creatures, types of hominins, human like beings who have lived on the earth and who still may be with us. The book we're talking about today is called North American Monsters, and it has to do with crypto zoology. It has to do with identifying unusual humans like the like the Yetti, the Bigfoot, Luckness Monster, the creatures that have been seen by local villagers or have been recorded down through history. And at one time he made a thought of them as a myth, but they have been verified in a number of different settings and chronicled and actually chronicled. And so what makes today's program interesting for me and I think you as well, is that my guest has written a very very detailed book, over two hundred and fifty accounts of these what he calls creatures. I guess that's a set that's fitting for the overall theme. When you're talking about yetis when you're talking about night crawlers, When you're talking about human like beans who are not seen on a regular basis, I guess you can classify them as creatures. And the zoological definition is because we have a lot of animal like beans that are seen in the ocean, where they're seen in lakes, they're seen in trees, they come out at night. Some are very very old. They go all the way back to the Maya, the Aztec, the toll Tech. They're well and by the way, North America. The monster book starts in Central America, which means that's believes in Guatemala, Honduras and moves in through Mexico. There's the Chupacabra, which has been a fascination of mine for decades. It showed up in the early nineteen nineties and apparently it's still around, a dog like creature. We moved through Mexico into North America, and today we're going to go through not every single state, we're going to go through a number of states that have unique creatures that have been chronicled by the local people. In some cases they have been written about, and we want to know about that. Now. The other thing, and we've talked about this with Patrick Shanard last week. My guest today presents giants, Giants in Mexico, Giants in North America, and giants in Canada. And this is something that we didn't really discuss with Patrick, but we will definitely talk about this today in the program. So today's program is Chasing North American Monsters, A guide to over two hundred and fifty creatures from Greenland to Guatemala. Guest is Jason Affut. I love climbing among the temples and the ancient pyramids of the Maya. We actually have a tour coming up in Dissemmerates the Sacred Pyramids of Guatemala with my friends doctor Lydia and Arturo di Leong. This is a wonderful twelve day tour of some of the most eclectic sites in Guatemala, including Tikal and Elmador. We all meet together. This is a chance to not only connect with the pyramids by sitting among them and meditating and also doing ceremony. We will also visit national museums as well as sacred sites that are typically not available to the general public. What makes this a really once in a lifetime visit is that we can climb, we can sit, We can interact with not only pyramids, but temples, sacred sites, and visit some of the most historic sites in the world. For more information and to join us, go to earthacients dot com, forward slash Tours and you'll see the Guatemala banner. We're only taking about twenty people. We're half full, and so I'm making a special announcement. We're also reminding people that this tour is half the price that normal tours are, and we make sure that we don't skip on anything. We want everyone to enjoy the tour. So it's five star hotels, it is the best food, the best beverages, and a chance to interact with shaman with a noted archaeologists in the area. It's a complete tour, and there's an option to go to Elmador with doctor Richard Hansen on the last day and we'll be helicoptering to Elmiador and have the opportunity to decline the Ldonta Pyramid. This is a once in a lifetime visit and this is not to be missed. Join us in Guatemala December first through the twelfth. For more information, go to Earthagents dot com forward Slash Tours. I'm fascinated with a number of different hominids in the world. It's interesting to note that when we have different authors, different presenters on the program and we talk about these unusual hominis, and I'm considering and I'm categorizing different as the Parakis, people with these very elongated skulls, these unusual people from early Maya gravesites that have a wide cranium, and they don't seem to be categorized, and it's very, very strange, and I almost wish somebody would break out of their shell and do that. My guest today is presenting almost a similar series of topics. His book is called North American Monsters. And we do have some hominins in here and some human like creatures. But let me tell you about my guests. His name is Jason Offitt. He has written extensively on various creatures. I guess it's called cryptozoology or cryptoids, which I find fascinating. And this is a study, a legitimate study of unus usual creatures, but also human like creatures as well. And uh, John is a he teaches journalism and in uh Missouri. He's He's from Maryland, Maryville, Missouri. He teaches at Northwest Missouri State University. He is an author of four previous books on paranormal topics, and the book I think before that was he had a book called American Monsters. This is North American Monsters. So Jason, we want to hear all about this. I'm fascinated in this topic and what got you started in this. What was it, uh, just an article that you wrote or did you just start digging it up? What's the story on this? I? Well, I got.
Speaker 2: Interested in uh in in monsters when I was a kid. Well, I got interested. Uh you know, you got the school Scholastic book club order form, you know, in third and fourth grade. You know, friends of mine have been getting you know, biographies on baseball play and i'd get books on Bigfoot. Yeah, so I've been interested for a long time. Grew up watching Leonard nie Moy's In Search of and any monster movie I could I could get my hands on, I I'd watch. So I've been fascinated in monster about monsters for quite a long time.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, Jason. You have a number of at least one book that's specifically on Bigfoot, and you've covered bigfoot. And the funny thing about Bigfoot is they're all over the place. They seem to be worldwide, but we've never found or no one's ever captured one. We have no real good footage of one except for some very old old camera footage. What's the deal with that?
Speaker 2: Well, it the way that I try to tackle this is one I'm not going to say, I know what bigfoot is. Anybody who says they know what bigfoot is doesn't know what bigfoot is. It can be a lot of different things. But I think all the different definitions of bigfoot end up with the same, you know, say, the same couple of similarities, like they're intelligent, okay, so and more intelligent than your your your your average animal. They're they're human like and then you know the physical characteristics. If they are that intelligent, they can very well hide from us. They might bury their dead. Is why we haven't been able to find them. Why haven't we, you know, uncovered a Bigfoot skeleton. The majority, there's the majority of North America is empty. It doesn't seem like that, you know, because we've got to you know, we're populated. You've got people all over the place. But if you're including you know, you gottata include all of the forests, all of the plains, the mountains, deserts. And that's not just including the United States. I mean Mexico, mountains, deserts, jungles, Canada, you know, mountains, tundra and forests all over the place. More than forty percent of North America is uninhabited. People are you know, people are visitors in most of these places. So if that is where cryptids like Bigfoot have to live away from people, they could bury themselves all over the place and we never know about it. So I think when it comes to finding a body, that's that's one of the problems about the you know, film about pictures of these things, and this is something a lot of skeptics. And I'm not saying Bigfoot exists one hundred percent. I think if we do discover any cryptids out there, Bigfoot is gonna be the one. But let's say you're just hiking. Are you equipped this is before cell phones. Were you equipped to take pictures of things? Probably not unless you're a photographer, Okay, but everybody's got a camera on them. Now, if you're out in the woods and twenty feet away from you is this eight foot tall, five hundred pound, you know, hairy creature. What are you gonna do? First? Are you going to run? Or are you gonna say no, hey, wait a second, I gotta get my phone out and take your picture. Yes, you're not gonna take the picture. You're gonna get the heck out of there. So I think there are a lot of reasons that you know, I just mentioned why we don't have We don't have a big foot yet. I'm there have been reports of hunters. There was a really famous call to Art Bell's show Coast to Coast of a guy in Texas saying that he killed one and when he looked and he looked too human, and he thought he'd be convicted for murder, so he just buried it.
Speaker 1: I actually remember that episode. Yeah, he was freaked out because it looked like he had shot somebody, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that that could be it. I've heard other hunters on other shows say I had one in my sights, but it looked like a man. Yeah, So I mean, do we have is there one captured? Who knows? There are reports, of course of the government, you know, capturing bigfoot, but who in the world knows.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you bring up that I think needs to be discussed more is the fact that a lot of the references that you're getting are from indigenous people who have lived around a lot longer than we have, and they talk about sasquatch yety, the Bigfoot, and because they are more in tune with the earth and nature, they may have interactions and you bring this up in your book with these different creatures, that the locals who have lived in these areas for thousands of years live in harmony with these creatures. Where we are, we're like shoot firs, ask questions later. Do you think that has something to do with it?
Speaker 2: I think absolutely it does. Yes, yes it does a lot of indigenous peoples from from around the world have not just lived side by side at least have stories of living side by side with these creatures, but even trading with them. They considered, you know, in a lot of places, just another tribe of humans. They just happen to be big and hairy. And yes, this is common. I mean bigfoot is has been reported. Bigfoot are a type of bigfoot, has been reported on every continent but Antarctica. I mean even in Australia we've got the Yawi, and heck, Sri Lanka and New Zealand have bigfoots. Big fight Yeah, so I mean they're they're absolutely everywhere, and yes, absolutely the indigenous people have reported them for thousands of years. And this is something that I you know, kind of beat this drum in my book. Why don't we listen to them? You know, we don't. There have been so many scientific discoveries of animals over the centuries that if we would have just listened to the indigenous peoples, they wouldn't have been a discovery. You know, the mountain gorilla, the giant pandy, the panda, the ocampe, you know all of these. The heck, the megamouth shark wasn't discovered until nineteen seventy seven. You know, there are big monsters out there that we just don't know about because we don't listen.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I wanted to to ask you real quickly before we jump into some of these creatures. Cryptozoology is a study. Is that a PhD that people get to become a cryptozoologist.
Speaker 2: Here's a problem with that. You can anybody can call themselves a cryptozoologist, don't. I don't call myself one. I'm I'm a writer. I have a journal journalism background, That's what I teach. I was a reporter and editor for seventeen years ao out working in a newspaper and so yeah, but there's no degree for cryptozoology.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 2: However, some of the most famous cryptozoologists, like Ivan T. Sanderson, Grover Krantz, they were zoologists. They they had zoology degrees, and they realized, oh wait a second, there are other animals out there that science doesn't know yet, so let's go look into those.
Speaker 1: The reason I'm asking that is the forward is written by Lauren Coleman, who's the director of International Cryptozoology Museum. And I have to wonder if there is a branch of science that is reading your book and going, yeah, I've heard about that. I've heard it as a myth. But wait a minute. We got some hair samples, we have some footprints, we have something, and what why we don't hear more about? And I opened the show with people, these these these civilizations that have passed like the Practice people. I don't know if you've seen the skeleton of a practice human being. They have a cranium that's thirty percent larger than our own.
Speaker 2: Does it Does it look like a regular human skull? Or is it?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 1: It does, but it's elongated and it's not artificially elongated. And this has been the big program. The big problem is that a lot of archaeologists say, well, they, you know, did skull deformation as babies and there this is how they are. But there's whole grave sites of hundreds of these people and from a young age to their elder elder age, they had elongated skulls. But well, why we don't well, why we don't study it more. It's just a very very big question.
Speaker 2: And and uh, let's go with elongated skull. Well, it's not really elongated, but it's it's a mouthformed if you if you know, if it's a human skull, Lloyd Pie, the late Lloyd Pie, uh, and the star Child's skull. It has so many basic differences than a human skull that I mean, it's like no soft spot, no, uh, you know, I don't remember your sobs.
Speaker 1: The sutures are yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The sutures. There's an issue with those. Whatever the knobs are called in the back of a human skull, it doesn't have them. Uh. They did science, did it, you know, DNA test, and it came back as human. Maybe we're just so closely related to everything that it would come back human.
Speaker 1: I saw a look, I saw the scall that Lloyd was. In fact, I knew Lloyd and I remember that skull. I never had a chance to handle it, but it was very different.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, if the thinking was it was part human, part alien, right, a highbred.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's uh, you know that that's something that that's something that would bring people together as this pieces I think is if we were close enough genetically to breed with something that wasn't born on Earth, there's a cosmic connection for you that that would be I think would bring everybody, to bring everybody together. But I want to I want to take a step back because you mentioned Lauren cale Me and he wrote the ForWord. If anybody deserves a crypto zoology degree, it's Lauren. He has worked ever since he was a teenager on on strange animals and and he's the one he's the first one who covered the Dover demon back in the nineteen seventies. He broke that to the press. So he's been busy with this field for a long time.
Speaker 1: Where is the International Cryptozoology Museum where.
Speaker 2: It's in the state of Maine.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's in the United States. Yeah, fantastic. Before we continue, I want to ask you what was the criteria? How did you validate these creatures? Was it mythology, sightings, and physical remains or all three?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All the above, absolutely, all the above. I tried not to go too far into mythology, because there are some really weird creatures in mythology, but there are also some really interesting ones that I included. I prefer to include monsters that have had eyewitness sightings, you know, people have seen it, you know, in the lake or you know, stomp around the world. But there are also some with you know, physical remains, especially the globsters, which are people walking down the beach and there's something that was alive. They just don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's amazing. Okay, let's get into it. This book covers all of North America, and I want to start with Central America. And it's funny because you I'm kind of a Mayanist and I I follow some of the Maya lore, but some of these creatures that you're presenting are very unusual. So let's go to Belize and it's a cis might a big foot like creature, and according to your research, they are greatly They dislike men and they actually have killed people.
Speaker 2: Right, they dislike men, and this is this is a strange. This is strange. And a lot of creatures from Central America, from from the islands of the Caribbean. Uh. A lot of these creatures have this same uh, the same leg issue their feet or backward and the system might's feet are are if I'm remembering that correctly, are backward. And this is apparently so you can't track one because you don't know what direction it's going.
Speaker 1: In, so they're walking on their heels.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, so that is that is that is weird. I'm not not quite sure why why that is a popular thing for uh, you know, for a lot a lot of humanoid todd creatures. But but yeah, that's that is and a lot of and and the system might goes into this as well. But there are a number of forest creatures in this book that generally are aggressive toward men and not toward women. Uh. And and I have a feeling this has to do with the fact that in centuries past and still today, honestly, men men are hunters. Men are men generally are the ones who go in and kill wildlife. They're the ones who go in and now chop down trees and and harm the forests. So this is that that that's why the men get you know, torn apart by this backwards foot bigfoot.
Speaker 1: So the systemight, which is a big foot like creatures. Does that have the other characteristics of being eight foot tall, four hundred plus pounds and all all, you know, covered in hair.
Speaker 2: Most of these, most of these bigfoot creatures, unless they're diminutive ones, and there are some of those around the world, but most of them fit into that, you know, fit into that same picture. They're you know, between six and ten feet tall, five and eight hundred pounds and covered with hair. Wow.
Speaker 1: So yes, that's amazing. Now here's one that you list that it just seems fascinating. It's the shechitah Bee or Bye, and it's a woman of the night. Uh, and it's considered a demon. And one of the things I thought was interesting is it seduces men and sacrifices them. Oh god, you know, I mean that's like a that's like a myth like creature, but who knows, could be something more well.
Speaker 2: And there are yeah, there are a number of types to those. Gosh, there were too many for me to actually remember the name of it. I'm so embarrassed. But one of them appears as a beautiful woman yeah to seduce a man and then uh, you know, during the seduction, she's got a horse's head. You know, there's another one that that's the same thing that ends up being the man is you know, he's he's kissing her and all of a sudden, she's a skeleton. And in some cases they will you know, throw the man off a cliff, and other other cases they you know, kill them and leave them for people to find as a warning. Generally, these men are either drunk or the men are married and or engaged and cheating on their spouse. So it is sort of a demonic entity that actually is more looking out for women because it's taking care of these nasty, unfaithful men.
Speaker 1: Now, is it? Is it this uh, the shechita by bay that is the one that's ripping the hearts out of these people too? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's that sounds right, is it? Think?
Speaker 1: I think I read that in your paragraph description. I was like, oh my god, that sounds Aztec to.
Speaker 2: Me, very as tech.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: We go to Guatemala and there's this uh sorcerer goat, half man, half a goat that you have illustrated in your book, and I'm like, what the heck is that?
Speaker 2: Well? This was Ah, there's a lot of things with animals. If I'm remembering this correctly. This person, a young man, was in love. He was in love with this woman who was not in his social class, and went to a wizard to help him. And depends on the story and who you're getting it from. He wanted to either become a goat so he could be close to her, or you know, be able to change from a goat to a man. And he was either changed into a full goat that she took care of and eventually ate, or he became a half goat half man and terrified her.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, Jason Offutt, discussing his latest book, Chasing North American Monsters. Will be right back. My guest today is Jason Offutt. He has written a new book called Chasing North American Monsters, a guide to over two hundred and fifty creatures from Greenland to Guatemala. And this is a look at unusual animals, humans and offworldly types Honduras. This is one that I saw that I didn't see anything else on, which is one eyed giants that are red haired in the Honduras area. And it's funny because I just had a guy on last week that was talking about giants in North America and the giants that he spoke of and in some cases documented were on the average about eight feet tall or above six five six five to eight feet, right.
Speaker 2: The lot of stories of giants and the thing that I find fascinating all throughout the Americas, from know way north to south, these giants are you know, they've got red hair and yeah, and that's you know, across the United States from you know, Illinois, some red hair giant remains were found. They were allegedly red hair giant remains found in in Arizona, in in Mexico, all over the place where red haired people hadn't been to our knowledge. So I think that's absolutely absolutely fascinating, right. The yeah, the one eyed giants. The thing is, what's the one eye is it? Did we have cyclopses? You know, back back in the day, Uh, the explanation for cyclops on on crete was the skulls of elephants. You know, that was Oh, people just saw these giant skulls with a hole in the middle and they thought that was an eye socket, you know. But in South America. What what could that be? I have absolutely no idea.
Speaker 1: Are these maya mythological creatures or are they actually I mean, because the various people a guy named Hugh Newman who wrote a number of books on American and European giants. The red hair is a tip off because that seems to be kind of a theme for these North American giants. But in the current United States there the mound builders. Apparently we're giants, you know. So what do we know about the Central American giants? Do they have the same attributes, physical size, other physical traits right there?
Speaker 2: Are? It depends, It depends on on on the region. There are giant reports all all over Mexico and and sometimes the giants are about nine to twelve feet tall if you look. You know, in the Biblical giants, Goliath was like a little over nine feet tall, and they tend to have red hair. Either that or they're talking about a big foot type creature as a giant, which you know, that would definitely definitely fit in. This is in my book that's coming out next year, Chasing the World's Monsters. But they're all over the place there.
Speaker 1: You got enough material for encyclopedia kind of look at these creatures of the life.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what I'm working on.
Speaker 1: You know, do you remember a guy named Charles Fort. Oh, yes, that's where you remind me of a modern day Charles Fort, except that he's he's covering frogs, fly showering in the you know, and other creatures of the night.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's where you know, we get fourteen from from Charles Charles Fort. He was oh to be rich and young like Charles Fort, and didn't have nothing else to do but to go out and look at monsters. I didn't so fun.
Speaker 1: Was he inherentently wealthy? Yes, his parents left him money, yeah.
Speaker 2: He so he had. He had the resources in the time and the education. Me, I'm married with kids. I can't do all that. But anyway, the thing I was I was getting to is even on expeditions from Europe to South America or Magellan to circumnavigate and gate the globe, Magellan reported giants down at the tip of South America and and he he was you know, it was written that you know, they were huge. They were a leased twelve feet tall. And by the time the third or fourth expedition went through there man, the giant's got to be about six feet tall. So how big really were they? Because Magellan I looked up, he was only like five foot two. Yeah, so I'm thinking anything looks pretty big to him.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, a person who's over six feet would be considered a giant, like someone who's like six four six' five might be that. Way i'm trying to remember the conquistador that came To florida and was met by was It Consta Leon, no some other? Name but he came with different groups and they met with giants as, well so they were definitely in The. AMERICA i Mean europeans were about five foot five five, seven and if someone, is LIKE i, said six foot five or seven, feet that's gonna be pretty. BIG i, MEAN i don't know about. You If i've stood next To i'm only about five, Eight i've stood next to a seven foot tall, friend AND i that's that's a that's a huge. Person.
Speaker 2: WELL i also used to in my journalism. CAREER i was also a sports photographer for a. While and the VERY i was shooting A royals, Game Kansas City royals game and they were playing The Oakland a's AND i was walking out to third. Base i'm five to. NINE i was walking out to the third base photo booth or photo, bay and on either side of me these Two Oakland A's Jose cansenko And mark McGuire walked on either side of me and kept their conversation going over my.
Speaker 1: HEAD i think those he was six,' five wasn't he canseco?
Speaker 2: He was he, Was, big yeah he was something. Like THAT all i KNOW was i felt like a twelve year. Old. Kid, Yeah well and there's also a famous picture of a famous Picture Of arnold schwarzenegger that was taken during the filming Of the Conan the Barbarian sequel Conan, the destroyer and It's got he's in the Middle and Andre the giants on, one Side And wilt chamberlain's on the other and they're holding. Him Up and schwarzenegger was six, to two and, you know as big as, he was he looked like.
Speaker 1: A baby Andre the giant is he must have been close, to seven but he was seven FEET but i think he was also, very girthy to like five six. Hundred pounds he, was, huge right.
Speaker 2: HE was i think he was seven, foot four, and yeah he was about. That, big yeah he weighed like five six. Hundred, pounds yeah he.
Speaker 1: Was huge he was a monster modern. Day monsters let's Go to mexico and this is One that i've, heard about, the chupacabra which is a, doglike creature, You KNOW and i don't know if we have actually captured a. SKELETAL remain i think there's been a number of people who have claimed that they've had the skin or the skeletal of one of these dog. Like creatures but what do we know about the Cup.
Speaker 2: Of, cabra well the Chup of cabra came around in nineteen ninety five is when people first started talking, about it and that Was In, puerto rico and there was a Woman Named. Madeline tolentino she saw a creature in, her neighborhood her in the neighborhood of, her city and it was about three four, feet, Tall bipedal it had spikes running down, its back it, had fangs and it hissed at her and a number of people from, the neighborhood even, a pastor reported seeing that over the next couple, of weeks and then once that hit, the news people were reporting all across, You Know puerto rico that they're their rabbits and goats and chickens and other small uh, you know small livestock, type, things uh were. Being killed they had puncture marks in them and were drained of blood and that, was yeah that was, that was that, was it and then it it spread across, To. Uh mexico people started reporting Them in mexico and down in The Southern. United states the dog like ones you're talking about are every once in a while somebody will, claim, THAT oh i caught a chup, of cabra and it always ends up being a coyote.
Speaker 1: With.
Speaker 2: Mange, oh now the the interesting thing about the chewp ofcabra myth that uh makes me fairly dubious is uh the movie uh species start In By natasha hendrix Maybe yeh inerson something. Like That. Uh, uh anyway she was an alien that Came to earth to mate and when she made it with, human men she turned into the alien which, was bipedal had spikes on, the back, had fangs and she would kill. The men and the movie had just been Released In puerto rico when when the stories of chupacabra started. Coming Out so i'm not saying people didn't say see something that's on you know that that might, be real but, you know there's some evidence showing that it might.
Speaker 1: Not be there was rumors when we first started hearing About, the CUPICABRA and I Remember art bell talking about It on Coast TO coast am but it seemed like they were saying it was an alien animal that was let loose and it Was, roaming mexico and then it got into the southern part Of The, United States, New, mexico arizona and then it was Seen. In california, you know if it is a, highbred dog, you know is there any evidence of it being from an off world civilization or is it a? Laboratory mistake.
Speaker 2: You, know WELL and i Was gonna i'm glad you went there because THAT'S where i was going. To go that's another uh common, you know idea about the Chewp of cabra because, you know YOU know us military base a secretive one on on uh, You Know, puerto rico that this thing was created and it escaped and that. Who, KNOWS yeah, i mean it's one of those things that unless somebody runs over one with with it with, their car, you know we're never going to know exactly exactly what these. Things are AND and i also don't really like saying because people say This about, Bigfoot too, oh well there's a Lot of bigfoot reports ALONG with, Ufo, encounters, like yeah, there Are but i'm not going to use that to say bigfoots FROM a ufo and and there are people who do. Go there, it's because, you know EVEN though i really Seriously think bigfoot is going to be discovered at, some point it's still it's an unknown UFOs. RIGHT now i think we're being visited FROM somewhere i, don't aware but UFOs are still an UNKNOWN and i hate to use one to try and answer the.
Speaker 1: OTHER one i, Hear you, uh yeah the cheap of copper. Is weird another one while We're in Mexico. Is mothman and the thing that. Was honored kind of strange about that is that we Have In west virginia this famous mothman sighting that. BECAME famous i think they even have a Statue of mothman In Westb Rege.
Speaker 2: Point pleasant they sure do talk.
Speaker 1: About this discovery and is it part of a h a culture or a civilization of these creatures that?
Speaker 2: Have, wings well And this mothman is. Absolutely fascinating, of course the late Great Journalist john keel was the one who wrote About, about mothman and the reports of this creature being seen inside and Outside Of, Point Pleasant west virginia ARE are i think they're fairly. Well known but it was first seen by two couples who were, you know out in the boonies making out in their car and they, saw this, you know over six, foot tall absolutely black eyes like red flashlights staring, at them and they left and the things got, you know, wings unfurled and it took off and it kept up with, the car flying over the car as the car was driving sixty miles. An hour and then it, was reported, you know being seen a few, other times specifically one At The silver bridge that collapsed within the, next Week and mothman was blamed for the. Bridge collapse. Oh interesting and then it kind of, you know sightings died down for a long. Long time but there was a bridge Collapse, IN minneapolis i, don't know fifteen, years AGO maybe i, can't remember and, people, SAID, well i, you know people Reported seeing mothman before the. Bridge collapsed there's also a legend That, before chernobyl the disaster there that somebody had seen a. Moth man it seems to be to if people are seeing, this thing, you know seems to be an omen of. Impending doom there have been more than a hundred mothman reports from Around the chicago area over the past. Ten, YEARS yeah i. DON'T know, i mean the worst Thing in chicago that's happened is the, you Know The white. Sox RECORD so i don't know what kind of doom. It's predicting the thing, About That, john keel The Writer, john keel thought was that there are, thin areas, window areas he, called them thin areas, between realities and sometimes these get really thin and something can step through from one. To another and he had Postulated maybe mothman's one.
Speaker 1: Of those do the indigenous people in these various regions where these sightings are have an understanding of this moth man.
Speaker 2: Creature as Far as i've been able, To, tell no in just nineteen, SIXTY seven i think it was sixty six that was the first first report of. The mothman, very strange. Very strange, all.
Speaker 1: Right let's get to your. Sweet. Spot now you did a whole Book On, united states but you added some specifics on, different STATES and i want to Start, With, Alabama, mobile alabama The.
Speaker 3: Wolf, woman yes oh you don't want to Do The. Crichton leprechaun we'll do that, One. Too, no, yeah uh the.
Speaker 2: Wolf woman it was in the. EARLY seventies a lot of fun things happened in cryptozoology in the early. Early seventies there was uh and this this was a headline in the in The Uh Mobile. Press, register yeah and it, was like is wolf woman sulking? Around. City okay this IS what i love about about some of these stories back in the day is because they got headline, headline news which. Is terrific but a number of people reported seeing a shaggy dog or wolf like creature with the head of a woman just walking around. The, suburbs uh nobody was, you know you mentioned. Photographs earlier nobody nobody took took pictures. Of it but people did report. Seeing, it yeah and there is. A picture did it make it in? The, book no it didn't make it in. The book it doesn't look like but there was a picture drawn Of the mobile wolf woman and she was. Quite, fetching.
Speaker 1: Yeah but is it a speculation that she's from a clan or a culture of half wolf half.
Speaker 2: Human, beings see that's one of the problems with these, with bigfoot, you know they reported all over. The place so is there a breeding, population, probably yeah it sounds. Like it but this has been a more recent probably the last twenty thirty years of human like dogs or, you know dog men or were wolf looking. Looking creatures and this is All Throughout. North america this is, you know there are reports Of The luke Rue. In quebec there's this. Wolf woman we've Got, The Lawton. Oklahoma, wolfman michigan we've Got the Michigan. Dog man There's the Beast Of bray road Up. In, wisconsin so, you know although this flies under the radar a little bit much more than a, bigfoot wood it does seem that there are plenty of reports that these things there could be a breeding population. Out there.
Speaker 1: That's, STRANGE yeah, I know i.
Speaker 2: Mean a lot of, these reports, you know from The drawings, i've seen look More like anubis From from, egyptian mythology right than the wolf. Woman does.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to, identify themselves and we will return shortly with my Guest Today, jason offut discussing his, Latest Book Chasing North. American monsters will be. Right back.
Speaker 2: When the storm, is moving the sky goes dark and you feel in, too much wage just holds.
Speaker 3: It Down.
Speaker 1: Jason elfitt is my. Guest today he's written a number of books on unusual beings and humanoids around, the world and his newest Book Is Chasing North, AMERICAN Monsters a guide to over two hundred and fifty Creatures from Greenland. To guadamala the fascinating thing about, Your, book jason is the fact that you also show. Sea creatures and it's funny because every once in a while in the IN the uk daily someone will dredge up some kind of creature that we've never, seen before a fish with a, certain bodies, skeletal features and and and and we're things. Like this and you Have in colorado In The dylan reservoir a creature called The. Blue. Dilly yes and these are THINGS that i think are, actually prevalent that are, actually here but we just haven't been able to categorize them because either there they live in the depths of a lake or, the ocean or. They're not there's not that many of them, Left.
Speaker 2: Right and i'm a little bit more open to ocean seamont, BECAUSE seriously, i mean it is, so huge. It's deep we have mapped, From satellites we've mapped ninety five percent of the. Ocean's depths we also ninety five percent of the ocean's depths are. Also, unexplored well we honestly don't know what's. DOWN there i. Don't know if you're familiar with thor higher, doll, sure, yeah, Yeah okay well this is just a little. Personal story my mom was in high school whenever he was taking, his journey and she used to listen to the radio reports of him reporting in which that's, pretty cool but it is right so for the, you know the people who. Don't know he Was a norwegian anthropologist who had a Hypothesis that polynesia was populated by People from peru because some of the plants were, the same some of, the architecture religion were, the same some of the words were. The same so he wanted to prove that So that peruvians could Get. To polynesia so he and a Few other norwegian scientists built a raft that was similar to the ones The ancient peruvians, could could, you Know use and they set sail for five thousand miles and they, reached it so, you know it proved that. They could but The reason i'm bringing this up is in His, book kantiki in a couple of places, he wrote one specifically that fascinates me is, at night forever away from, shipping lanes they were alone. Out there lights would follow the raft underneath, the ocean and balls the size of, you know a basketball would come up in the water and they would open and they were eyes staring.
Speaker 1: At, them, wow okay what are?
Speaker 2: THESE creatures i asked a, MARINE biologist i ask. ABOUT this i interviewed a person and, he's, LIKE yep i don't know what. That is but there's a lot of weird things. Out there could be something we.
Speaker 1: Haven't, DISCOVERED yeah, i mean and there's more water than there is, land mass so we, you know although we've imaged, the ocean we don't know what the heck's underneath.
Speaker 2: The depths not, a, clue yeah not. A clue so there was a there's a Picture a japanese fishing boat BACK and i think it was the seventies hauled up a carcass that, my gosh it looks Like a pleasia Sword dead. Pleasia sawre scientists, have, said no it's just a carcass of a whale or the carcass of a. Whale, Shark probably but Could a pleasia saur have survived in the ocean for? This, LONG yeah i think maybe. They, COULD now, i mean it's this always goes back To the. Sela, camp Hey a seila cant is a lobed fish that science and knew about because they had they had fossils sixty five million. Years old so when when when the cometter the asteroid hit and the dinosaurs went, by by they Thought the cela canth. Did too and then in nineteen, thirty eight a fishing boat Off Of south africa caught this big fish and the captain had no idea what. It was so we got a hold of the museum director and she took a look at it and, she goes, my gosh this Is a. Cela canth it's not supposed to. Be here and they found two big populations science Has of, sela camps one Off Of south africa and the other One. IN indonesia i mean.
Speaker 1: THEY survived, i mean that's that's over a, million, YEARS right i mean that's.
Speaker 2: A sixty five million years sixty.
Speaker 1: Five, million years five.
Speaker 2: Million. Years, wow no why couldn't something else have survived from that long somewhere in?
Speaker 1: The, depths well it's, funny, because Uh the, lochness monster although it hasn't been, seen recently looks like some kind of an ancient dinosaur. That survived.
Speaker 2: And that's that's been a lot of the. Eyewitness reports sure sound like. A Plesiosaur and lockness is interesting because it. Is enormous it is, incredibly deep and the water there's a lot of peat in, the water so it's. Extremely, cloudy uh and, it's hard, you know to get cameras down there to actually see much unless you're right on top. Of it so there's a lot of room for a big creature or, big creatures because there'd have to be more than one living. Down.
Speaker 1: There yeah but, You, actually jason have A In Florida. Lake tarpon you have what looks like. A dinosaur they call. It tarpi it's a some kind of a reptile that's fifteen to thirty feet. In diameter? WHAT'S that, i mean this is, SO new i mean that, it's, weird.
Speaker 2: Right, it's, uh yeah it's people fish there all. The time it's no That Lake lake tarpon is known, for uh, you know for. For bass they have a nice. Bass population, but yeah there are there are stories of this creature that, looks like, you know, part alligator. Part dinosaur sometimes it's described as, part alligator, part manatee, you know of. All things and it has been seen a number of different times throughout the. Years there, you know people have looked, for it haven't been able to. Find, it uh people have reported seeing it's it's, you know three toed footprints on. The bank it's one of. Those creatures it's kind of, you know far fetched. To me, you know lake monsters generally are because it's. A, lake yeah and how deep does?
Speaker 1: It go? Is they that was my right questions.
Speaker 2: To, you YEAH tarp i usually check, the depth But like tarpon's twenty five one, hundred acres it's not as Deep as. I'd like but then you've got Lakes Like lake champlain where there's a lake monster called champ which looks a lot like supposedly looks a LOT like NeSSI that's big enough to. Hide Something The great lakes are big enough to. Hide, something, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: It's amazing you, KNOW what i didn't get a chance to get your definition Of this colorado water monster Called blue dilly In The. Dylan, Reservoir Right, BLUE dilly i think is it is reported to look like a. Manta, ray YEAH and i mean the description of it is. Absolutely, Gorgeous frankly and the surface elevation of this lake is up at nine thousand feet shores twenty seven. Miles ashore it's a pretty pretty. Big place it's, really cold so people can go out, there RECREATIONALLY.
Speaker 2: But i wouldn't. Want TO but, i mean it does, IT exist i. Don't know it's three hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: Feet deep the, THING is i don't know of any fresh, water stingrays, you know so maybe it's, A, breed.
Speaker 2: Yes it, Could be but there are there are fresh. Water stingrays they're just, really. Small, okay yeah and they lived they live In, the amazon.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 2: In colorado.
Speaker 1: You know it's funny because it's almost like some of these creatures just have not been seen in enough quantity for zoologists to, categorize them you KNOW what. I mean so you may be picking up what you think is, a creature but it might be legitimate being that's, been here it just hasn't been seen, in, Numbers.
Speaker 2: Right and i'm going to go with stay in. The water Go, with cadbarrosaurus which is a really long thirty forty fifty feet long sea serpents that has been reported throughout. The centuries There's A native american rock Art In washington state about the you know. Of this it is a traditional. Sea serpent it undulates as. It swims it's got a head that looks like. A horse people have reported. Seeing it they've also got a picture, of one really corpse. OF one i think form back in the nineteen thirties was taken out of the belly of a. Sperm whale they've got a. Picture one there's a fisherman who claims that he, caught one but it was really small and he put it back in the water for. Some REASON but, i mean there's more, actual evidence you know. The picture, you know then there are from a whole lot of other. These cryptids so.
Speaker 1: Is it just a big eel or is it something else that is that we don't really. Categorize that you're using the, term serpent which is kind of, Old school but is it an eel with just a. Bigger head it's you, KNOW what i haven't done a lot of reading. ON eels i don't know how big. They, get, YEAH yeah i don't think they get that that.
Speaker 2: Big though.
Speaker 1: Let's Go. To delaware by, the way those of, You listening jason has practically a. Through z his other book Of The american creatures has probably, got more but he's got almost every state has their own creature to.
Speaker 2: Consider Well In Chasing american monsters and the one we're Talking About Chasing North, American monsters i've got more than two hundred and fifty eight monsters in. Each book, oh, wow, wow.
Speaker 1: Wow amazing let's Go. To Delaware Prime hook. Swamp, creature uh three, foot, tall long. Spindly legs.
Speaker 2: What is, that right it's it's it's one of Those, THAT yeah i, don't know but swamps are great, for monsters. Absolutely. Great uh this creature was seen by a Woman, named helen who didn't give her. Last name she said the she and and and her her, her son we Were At Prime hook swamp and they saw a creature, that was, you know had the face like a pug dog and it was about three, feet tall had. Long legs his body was tan uh and had, small ears and she described its eyes, as angry you know. It was it was about thirty Pounds, Maybe okay actually she wasn't in with. Her son it was, her daughter. But irrelevant and then she saw they stumbled across it and it took off into the swamp and she had never seen it before and never seen, it since and it's not not been. Reported since, you know what could that be a lot of these types of sightings could be. A misidentification maybe it was just a really. Ugly DOG but.
Speaker 1: I mean, You, wrote jason it, had long, spindly legs so it was walking on, two, legs.
Speaker 2: Right Which, Wouldn't, no no it's four? Four?
Speaker 1: Legs oh is its?
Speaker 2: Four?
Speaker 1: Legs, okay yeah so it's more like. A, dog yes. Very strange, you know.
Speaker 2: You have a.
Speaker 1: Few illustrations but wouldn't it be amazing if you had photographs of each one of? These creatures so.
Speaker 2: That would be that would be, Groundbreaking crazy it would be.
Speaker 1: Totally crazy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny maybe at some point artificial intelligence can take your data and all the world's uh information and create images of what these creatures. LOOK like.
Speaker 2: I hope, You know i'm sure it could. Be. Done now i've tried to stay away FROM. From ai i've seen the terminator way too. Many.
Speaker 1: Times yeah, uh Oh, fear margerie come, on, yeah yeah all right On. To Kentucky. Spotsville monster this is a hairy human like creature.
Speaker 2: That has been, Spotted, Right yeah spotsville is. Really small it's about three hundred. Three hundred some, some, people uh This the spotsville monster is is. A bigfoot they were family Reported the nuntialies reported seeing an eight, foot, tall hairy bipedal creature and they Coincided with they lost some of. Their livestock they had no idea what happened, to it and then, they, figured hey it might have been might have been. The monster, but yeah it's behaved like a behave like a like a bigfoot thing that we talked about earlier about a lot of bigfoot encounters are CORRESPOND with. Ufo, sightings yea the same thing. With here so there were a lot of a lot of, people, saying hey this, might be, you know a monster from, outer space and that not only children saw this monster on, their own and they said that, it's skinned that its hair, was green which you know kind of you know fed the maybe is from space space sort. Of.
Speaker 1: Thing wow the books Called Chasy north, american monsters and my Guest is Jason. Off it as, we conclude we Get, into canada, and again those of you listening over, two hundred well two hundred and, fifty creatures we'll call, them creatures even though there's all kinds. Of distinctions when We're, IN canada i was interested to hear more About the. Yukon camel.
Speaker 2: Oh. We're canada you didn't want to Talk About. William, shatner, sorry yeah Now the. Yukon camel THIS is i really love stories like this because there really were sort of true.
Speaker 1: All Right the.
Speaker 2: Yukon camel gold rush Was, in canada same type of gold rush that we had back in you, know what it was an eighteen. Forty nine there were, you know let's go, go out go out to, you know the mountains and look. For, gold well this one man had an idea, that is instead of using, Pack horses i'm gonna ship Camels to canada because they can carry a lot more and if we, find gold they can carry a lot.
Speaker 1: More gold oh.
Speaker 2: My god so problem with the camels is they weren't Equipped. For canada not just, the cold but their feet were not equipped for the type of terrain they'd be. Walking on so they were pretty useless to the man and they eventually let. Them loose oh and people Reported seeing canada camels In the yukon, you know for a, few years, but eventually, you know they had to freeze. To death but interesting thing there were two species of camels that Lived In north america and up in, you know specifically Up in canada During. The, pleistocene yeah so we had camels Living in canada at. One point so if people are reported seeing or may may report, seeing camels, you know they might be, you know extant animals that were, you know should have died out eleven thousand.
Speaker 1: Years ago THAT'S what i was hoping you were, Gonna, say jason that these were relatives from the Early Past Seene ice age period that had. Survived, SOMEHOW well i, you know.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of. Like hyenas there Was A north american hyena that lived In The united States and canada during During The. Ice age we had. The camel we've got mastadons that there were a couple of reports of mastadons up in the Wilds. Of canada the, you know. The thunderbird, you know we had birds that big In The united States and canada back During The. Ice age and again so much. Unexplored area why couldn't they still?
Speaker 1: Be?
Speaker 2: Around wow?
Speaker 1: So much hey, real quickly and they're gonna let. You go devil monkeys Found In, British. Columbia columbia that. Is weird well.
Speaker 2: It's weird it's there are devil, monkeys reported uh usually around the the east coast of Of The. United states and they all kind of fit the, same uh. Same profile they look, like baboons, you know with the dog like snout and they're really. Really angry they have really huge, canine teeth which which. Baboons do and, you know of course they're threatening, and PEOPLE like i said With, with bigfoot they're not, gonna, say hey let me get a picture. Of you they, you know people. Run away but, YOU KNOW i i can see maybe some, you know baboons at one point got loose from a uh, you know a private zoo and, you know had a breeding Population in florida or, You Know. South carolina, But, MAN canada i, don't know it's a little bit out of. Their, range yeah.
Speaker 1: It's Funny North, american monsters a guide to over two hundred and fifty Creatures from Greenland. To guatemala and my guest Has been Jason. Off it this book comes out. First week. It's, great yeah first Week. Of SEPTEMBER but i Just. Checked amazon they're taking. Pre orders it's really, well written it's really. Well done how can people get ahold? Of you do you have?
Speaker 2: A website jasonoffit, dot COM J A S O N O F F U t t. Dot com there's links to, my books there's links to Articles that, i've written there's links to my. Social.
Speaker 1: Media yeah real fun read and real pleasure having you on. The program what's the new book coming up in? A year what'd you say that?
Speaker 2: Was About it's Chasing The, world's Monsters and i'm hoping it's. Volume one.
Speaker 1: Oh, MY god i. Can't, imagine hey real fun having you on. The. Program jason thanks for your time and much success on this. New release, All, RIGHT cliff i really.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it thanks so much for, the interview, the invitation, and yeah this was a lot. OF fun i. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I'm SERIOUS when i say that somebody should write a book on the unusual humans that have come. And gone because we don't see long, hands anymore we don't see, practice people we don't see evidence of people who Lived in peru And. ANCIENT mexico i mentioned the different races that were Among, the maya and it's looking more. And more you won't get an anthropologist to, admit this but it really does look Like ancient mexico. Was multicultural Because there's, African centric, Asian centric. Caucasian people there are unusual beings from who, knows where. You know and THAT'S why i firmly believe that there's a number of races that have died off and we don't know because thousands of years ago the environment may have been different than it is now and it became too toxic for these. Longheaded people these people that were they. Look different it may have had, Different anatomy their lungs, were different their organs, Were different they processed air and food and water different than, we did and so they were not able. To survive and so over the years there have been independent studies done on, practice people on, unusual Humans and ripley's believe it, or not you can go to these. Strange museums there's One In. SAN francisco i think there's One In. LOS angeles i think there's One In, New, York Manhattan, new york and if you go. In there ripley would travel world and look for evidence of. Unusual humans he had the tallest man in, the world the smallest couple and man in. The world but they also had people the, unusual eyes unusual multi, six fingers and so forth and, So on and he was, an earlier early collector of. Human phenomenon. Are freaks you could call, him freaks but that's not a great term because obviously if there were a civilization of, these beings these, long heads they would be considered a. Different CLASSIFICATION so, i mean this is one of these things where the universities are choosing not to bother because they didn't want to rock. The boat and we've heard from a number of authors who believe that there were giants in the, ancient period but there are also different types of humans thousands of. Years ago so fun To have jason on. The program. Good, interview hey we have a number of wonderful tours, coming up and one of the big ones for the Year Is sacred Temples of guatemala With Doctor Lydia di leong and Her Partner Arturo. Di leong and This is december first to. The twelveth we're all gonna Meet. In guatemala and the itinerary is wonderful because it includes, shamanic journeys it includes meeting with. Local archaeologists and what makes the tour fabulous is the fact that we get to climb pyramids and temples and we get to interact with these buildings in the same manner that The ancient. Maya did for all the details on this Tour, in guatemala Go To earth ancients dot Com Forward slash tours and check. It out if you have any, questions whatsoever send me. An email send It To earth ancients the number four of the letter you at gmail dot Com and i'll get right back. To You and i'll get right back. To you these, Are fun these are, cost effective very reasonably, priced tours and they're. A blast, all right that's it for. THIS program i want to think my, Guest today Jason off the coming to Us. From missouri as always the Team Of, Gail Tour, mark Foster And. Fasil parvar you, guys rock, All right take care of, you well and we will talk to you next time you. COME again a different
Speaker 3: Moment