Speaker 1: This night side with Dan Ray on WBZ Constance video.
Speaker 2: Well, yesterday evening, there was a very ugly incident at the only maximum security prison here in Massachusetts, the Suza Baranowski Correctional Center in Lancaster six twenty yesterday afternoon. A couple of yesterday evening, a couple of officers doing their rounds, head counts and things like this, would jump from behind by inmates. One of the officers was stabbed twelve times, some of those stab wounds in his back and head. The other officer was also injured. Three officers who then tried to interfere with this attack was subsequently injured. So the box score his five officers injured, one very seriously still in condition. He's not his life is not in danger. But to be stabbed twelve times, that's that's pretty brutal. Today. Governor Healey responded, and we have some of the sound from the Governor and we're going to go to cut a rob which talks about no place for violence. Certainly there should be no violence inside of prison. The safety of the officers and the other prison inmates should be paramount. This is Governor Healey.
Speaker 3: Late today, I had an opportunity to speak with a couple of them. Look, there's no place for violence in our facilities, and we're going to do everything we can to protect.
Speaker 4: The safety and the security of those who work there and those who are incarcerated there. And we're currently in the ministivicual security assessment right now, and I'll can assure you that we'll make sure that the right steps are taken to make sure that there is safe, workable commissions.
Speaker 2: The governor has talked to the officers. I'm not sure if she's talked to all of the office, but she's talked to probably the most you know West seriously injured officers. This has cut b Rob.
Speaker 5: You talk to the hurt officers, they have to say.
Speaker 3: You know, I have talked to all of them. I talked to a few and them just espressly w we concerns about increased violence, and you know, we can represented series and their inner the things that we know about, I mean, they're happening and facilities around the country, but it's something that I know. The Secretary of Public Safety and I and are Commissioner for DOC are commuted.
Speaker 6: To work or not.
Speaker 2: So the question, of course is how can this happen. This is a maximum security prison, the only one in the state. My understanding is one of the reports I watched on television that I said, I believe that one of four, one out of four, twenty five percent of the inmates up there are serving life sentences. So they are the worst of the worst, and some of them feel they have nothing left to lose, which presents an incredible challenge to Massachusetts and to the Department of Correction. In a moment, we're going to be speaking with Massachusetts State Senator Peter Drant, who has been warning Durant, who has been warning about this possible problem. But the governor again today repeated what she perceives as they what the state has to do, and the only question is, obviously, are they doing it most effectively? Cut seat please Rob.
Speaker 4: In the aftermath of the death of and and I'll say, I just I do want to understore that you know, I wish them a speedy recovery. It's very serious when these things happen.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to tolerate it, and we need to make sure that we're doing all we can.
Speaker 4: To support those who are working in the facilities and those who are incarcerated in the soldies because we had another incident a few weeks ago involving an inmate. So you know, we'll make sure that the right steps are taken.
Speaker 2: Joining me now is Republican state senator here in Massachusetts, Peter Duran Durant. Peter, welcome back to night Side. You have been cautioning about problems in the prison system. As I understand it, some of these homemade knives, and they were homemade knives actually are produced from our tablets that the you know, tablets that the inmates are given, and they smashed the tablet and they use some sort of a steel strip to fashion it into a prison shift. What's going on up there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me on, Dan. This is this is outrageous. You know, we have been worrying about this, Me and many of the other fellow legislators have, you know, towards some of the prisons, and we've spoken to the correctional officers and they voice the concerns. They're the ones telling us that, you know, something has to be done. We have to be tougher on these inmates, especially as you mentioned earlier, the ones that are lifers that have nothing else to lose, giving them iPads or tablets of some sort. Uh, just handing them out and then seeing that they make weapons from you know, there's a solution, take all of them away. You know, Dan, when when you and I were kids, right, if if I had three siblings and if we were arguing over a toy or we were doing something, you know, my parents said, okay, none of you get it, and you know we've decided to wise up. So you know, why are we giving these things out? If if you're making weapons that is literally you know, stabbing someone twelve times, imperiling their life. It's it's outrageous. And you know when I want to hear more from the governor, I want to hear outrage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the governors seemed as you would, you know, expect knowing governor. Heally very calm. But I agree with you, this should be outraged. I get I guess the officer who was stabbed twelve times, he may have had a lung punctured with a standing. Now, now that's more than a superficial wound. I mean when you when when your lung is punctured, and I just think that, you know, do we live in a state where we have basically said, not only will we coddle people and give them time after time after time. You read all of these stories about someone who's this is their fourteenth court appearance and finally they're given a thirty day sentence or something like that. We've caudled criminals, and now even with with people incarcerated, they have the what the hubris to to stab prison guards in.
Speaker 5: A person and not just that damn but think about it. It seems to be and again not being there, not knowing until we hear more of an investigation, but it seems to be very coordinated. When you have when you have one seal getting stabbed, you have four others responding and they're being injured. This is more than just one person. It just seems just seems to be a coordinated attack. And and you know, and you have to really feel to these guys because they do work out of sight of the public, right we don't see them every day in their job, but you know, they go to work every day in this incredibly dangerous environment. So many of them get injured on the job because of this. You know, we really need to we need to strengthen the protections for them so that they can do their job, and you know, look their babysitting, you know, the babysitting the worst of Massachusetts misfits here, and we need to take better care of our CEOs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the union apparently was the first to break this story, and somehow, some way this went on imported. This occurred six twenty last night, and I just you know, according to the governor's statement that came with the soundbites from the governor, that two of the officers were assaulted by incarcerated individuals, doesn't say how many and sustained multiple stab wounds. They apparently were just on a normal routine. I don't know if it was bedcheck or whatever, but they were basically doing what they're supposed to do. They were attacked from behind, and then the other officers came to their defense. Thank god. The officers in these facilities are outnumbered by a big margin when you're compared to the number of inmates. I think there's four hundred inmates there. I wonder how many officers are on duty at any time and the public seems to get outraged and an inmates somehow gets injured. If let's say there is a brawl and one of the inmates claimed that one of the officers you know, hit him while he was down. You'll have the a c l U in court the next day, suing the Department of Corrections. But there doesn't seem to be the same amount of empathy, sympathy understanding that you've expressed as to what these CEOs go through on a day in a day out.
Speaker 5: Basis, Yeah, exactly, these are not good people. You know, We're not. This isn't a hotel, this is this is prison for the most violent offenders that we have. As you said earlier, lifers are there. This is the worst of the worst. And you know when you when you listen to the to the union's press conference, Makufu's press conference today, you know they do know how to handle these things. They know that they need resources. They're begging for the resources that they need to keep their people safe. They know how to respond to these things. They're just not given the backup for it.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm going to sort of throw this at you as a rhetorical question, but it's not a rhetorical question. We're going to spend two billion dollars and people who are arriving here in Massachusetts in effect unannounced in the migrant shelter program, which is wonderful to take care of people. Okay, that's great, but where are our priorities if we don't have enough money to hire enough prison guards to keep not only the prison guards safe, but the other inmates who are trying to do their time, behave act properly and get out and get back into society. Are our priorities?
Speaker 5: That's screwed up center, you know, as we're talking, of course, that's the first thing I'm thinking is our priorities are messed up. And that's really what comes down to the executive branch. That's what comes down from the governor. What are your priorities as we go forward, your priorities to you know, punish the CEOs whenever they, you know, step out of line or appear to step out of line. I mean, you're talking a very difficult job in which sometimes you take an instance like this, split second decisions are necessary. It's not a job that I would ever want to do in my entire life. But we're just thankful that we actually have people that do them. And you know, we also have to remember these people leave home every day, they kiss their wives goodbye. You know, they say I love you, and you know they may not come back, and this is what happens. So we have to have our priorities straightened out here, I think in Massachusetts, and I think we've really gone off track on this and a number of things. Again, this is an isolated incident.
Speaker 2: I guess the state Senator Peter Durant, He's a Republican from Spencer. His state Senate district is in really central Massachusetts, Worcester County, amongst others. If you'd like to to Senator Durant six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty he is one of four I believe it's a hearty band of four members of the state Senate who have an R after their name. He is the most recently elected member of the state Senate on the Republican side here in Massachusetts. We did reach out today to the correction Officers Union, and my producer was not able to get a response from the Corrections Officers Union. If there's anyone out there who are corrections officers or anyone from the union and you'd like to join the conversation, we'd encourage you to call in as well as well as any of you six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. The numbers here on Night Side also triple eight, nine, two, nine, ten thirty. Take a very quick break back. But State Senator Peter Durant, this is a real problem that exists. There's a problem with criminals who are out and amongst us, and there's a problem of criminals who are been incarcerated and who have not been able to figure out how to act even within a prison setting to maximize the time that they're in there and to maximize minimize the amount of time that they would have to stay in there. I mean, if you attack a prison guard, I don't think that's going to increase your chances to get parole, at least that's been my experience. Join the conversation, coming right back on Nightside with Massachusetts State Senator Peter Durant of Central Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the window World Lake Side Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 2: State Senator Peter Durant, Let's let's get some questions, some calls going. You got a little bit of time for us tonight.
Speaker 6: I do good.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's get the phone calls. Then I'm going to go first to Kathy in Lunenburg. Lunenburg is fairly close to that neck of the woods. The the Susan Bereanowski UH prison is in Lancaster, fairly close to Lunenburg. Cathy, welcome here tonight with Massachusetts State Senator Peter Durant got ahead.
Speaker 7: Hi, Peter, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 7: Back in twenty twenty, I actually ran for State Rep. And at that time was the GOP nominee, and we had spoken out because back in February twenty twenty there was a similar incident that happened at SUSA Baronowski. I know at that time a group of lawmakers did tour the facility. In large part, it seemed at that point Senator Jamie Eldridge was advocating strongly for prisoners, which still seems to continue. I know there's been a lot of talk of prisoners getting free phones and phone calls and whatnot. And I just wondered, you know, because unfortunately, you know, the Democrats of the supermajority right now on Beacon Hill, we're when this happened back in twenty twenty, we had expected we actually stood out and did a protest to its USA Brenowski. We had expected some change to follow thereafter. And was there anything in a positive direction from that point that you're aware of, because I know I had back then spoken with Kevin Flannagan from the Corrections Union, and there was just a lot of frustration, and you can see that it continues and change hasn't happened.
Speaker 8: But get that question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's I know you got a question here, So go ahead and phrase that question if you.
Speaker 7: Would, Well, where are democratic lawmakers on this issue other than Jamie Eldridge.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, thank you for the question. You know, there's there is a lot of frustration here and I think that, unfortunately, it takes these instances sometimes to bring people around and try to get some movement on this. I do think that we we've kind of moved in a direction with some of the reforms that we've put into place to make it more difficult to be a police officer, be a correctional officer. We've seen that kind of movement in the state, and you know, we really do need to reverse that and move things around. Unfortunately, I don't want to say that but you know, sometimes it takes a tragedy to make that happen, and I hope this is enough to do it, but you know, well that will remain to be seen.
Speaker 7: Well, I hope that people continue to speak out to their individual lawmakers, to continue to ask and you know a lot of these corrections officers live. A lot of them live in Lunenburg, and I know a number of them that live in Lancaster as well, and I'm quite similiar with this location of SUSA Baronowski. So I hope that I hope that we see more people speak out about this and because something must be done, and there's got to be some common sense that comes into this whole situation.
Speaker 2: Well, we easily could have had Kathy. We easily could have had a corrections officer killed more more than I mean when this we almost did right twelve stab wounds. It'll be interesting to see what the charges are brought against. And I think that the state and whoever, whether this is the Attorney General's office, and Peter, you would know better than I on this, whether it would be a district attorney or the Attorney General's office, they should have bring the hammer down. I'm sure that this videotape of this incident. I would assume that there's there's cameras everywhere inside of prisons, Am I correct Peter in that in that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, every in that prison should be covered, and we are. Many of my colleagues are calling for an investigation into this, a full investigation to find out exactly what happened and what steps need to be be taken to to try to ensure this isn't going to happen again. I think that's a tall order. I think that anytime you have inmates like this, who have nothing to lose, who are violent, who have violent tendencies, this is going to be part of the job. But we we need to give them all of the resources that we can so that they they can minimize this and and try to make sure that it doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd like to I'd like to find out how many correction officers are on staff at any given time.
Speaker 8: I'd like to not enough.
Speaker 7: Not enough.
Speaker 2: Obviously, that's that's the correct answer, But the quest the real question is how many more? And let's take some of that money that we're using to house people in hotels, uh, and and let's let's redirect that money. We don't have unlimited funds here in Massachusetts. So Kathy, I got to let you go. Peter. Do you want to say for another segment or thanks thanks very much Kathy for for getting us going here. Peter. Can you stay for another segment? Or do you.
Speaker 5: It has been a long day. I was, I was. I did spend two hours on the pipe with that rollover that cursed it unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Nothing was moving. That has to have been pretty frustrating. I saw that. I didn't look at it carefully, but the pike was just a dead stop. I saw there was some couple who was on their way to getting married, and they were taking pictures a memorable pre marriage photography session. We'll take a break. I'd like to know from some of the audience, are you ready to bring the hammer down on any of these individuals, these these inmates who went after these corrections officers, because if they just get a slap on the wrist, you know, thirty thirty days, they don't get you know, strawberries with their corn flakes in the morning, or they denied an opportunity to watch TV for an extra hour at night, or some that's this is attempted murder. That's what it is.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: It might be a lifer, but hit him with it hard, because this sort of activity cannot be permitted to occur, not only in Massachusetts or the streets of Massachusetts, but certainly within the prisons. So I'd love to hear from you if you're a corrections officer, if you are somebody who's in that corrections union, you'd like to join the conversation. If you're a police officer, I think that the pendulum now has to swing back, and we have to now realize that maybe we have gone overboard, and we're more concerned about prison convicted prison inmates and criminals than we are of the men and women who have to keep all of us safe. We're at home, we're sleeping nice and soundly in our beds at night, while the correction officer is on duty, and this is unfair. My guest State Senator Peter Durant, Will Durant from Central Massachusetts will take a quick break. I'd love to hear some outrage from some of my uh some some of my listeners on this one, because this is something you may feel. It doesn't affect me because I'm not a corrections officer. Oh yes it does, Oh yes it does. And what happens to these inmates who attacked these corrections officers who were simply doing their job, walking the tier or whatever they were doing. They they need to be protected as well. Here we go six one seven, two thirty six one seven, nine three, ten thirty. If you've had enough here in Massachusetts of coddling criminals and coddling those who have been convicted of crime, this is your opportunity to give us a call. Coming back with State Senator Peter Durant on Night Side BOK. It's Night Side with.
Speaker 1: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guess state Senator Peter Durant. He's a Republican from central Massachusetts. Five correction officers attacked yesterday Wednesday afternoon. One is still in the hospital from twelve stab wolds, twelve sabos. That's attempted murder in my opinion. And I hope, I hope we see an example made of this inmate, who obviously was carrying a home made knife. Peter, how do you think this this inmate will be treated?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I do think that he will be charged again. We don't know who this person is whether or not. He's already in for life, so he's going to be charged, He's going to hopefully get some kind of increased confinement. I don't know if we do solitary confinement anymore, or if we do, what the additional punishments are. But as you stated, this is a tempted murder, and you know, even if you're even if you're in for life, you can't allow them to get away with this. So there has to be increased punishment. I think there will be, but we can't. It can't go unanswered because all this is doing is we if we allow it to continue, is is just set an example, nothing happens to us. You know, the inmates are truly running the asylum at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, and at that point is almost licensed to kill, or license at a minimum, license to injure. Let me go to Elizabeth in Lynn. Elizabeth, thanks very much for calling in. You're almost State Senator Peter Durant. I feel free to ask whatever question or make whatever comment you'd like on this.
Speaker 9: NI, thanks so much for covering this. I'm old and I'm set up with the disrespect that the corrections officers, the police officers. But law enforcement is not It does not get the respect it deserves in a case like this, those poor people who if they don't do this job, who's going to do it? So we just set these people free. And and I mean.
Speaker 2: Maybe at some point in the future we can we can put robots in these prisons, But then the robots will be fat. I mean, I'm serious, who would who would want this job?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Exactly, and and and and they take pride in their careers. They trained to do this, they get certified to do it, and then you turn around and this happens, and and I'm listening to this story, and I'm thinking to myself, what's the punishment? Solitary confinement is only the beginning. I mean, uh, cut their food back to rats and do something with the food. And the other thing is a lot I bet a lot of these people have family around. Ship them to another state and and and make them feel the I just I just have no no patience for listening to this. And the other thing is I've I've listened to people debate what should happen in a prison?
Speaker 5: What should happen to know, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: We're starting We're starting to lose our connection there one thing that I think, uh, perhaps, and again, of course they're going to have lawyers, civil liberties, union lawyers. I don't see why you kind of look at someone like this, Senator and work out something with the federal government. So someone like this who has attacked and attempted to murder a corrections officer, why can't he serve the rest of his sentence in that supermax federal prison in Colorado.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think Elizabeth brings up a good point is they have to feel the pain, right, they have to. There has to be additional punishment here that that makes them feel that there's some consequence to it, because otherwise there's not. And you know, I think Elizabeth brings up another point, and we've talked about this as well, is that you know, we're seeing a decline in enrollment of of not just correctional office but but police officers all together. When we passed the Police Reform Act, it was it really started this, this decline in police enrollment. Uh, And people who've wanted to become part of this industry, part of this part of this family, if you will, of public safety, and that's really a shame and the reason why they're doing that is because again is there's there's more protection, there's more benefits for those who are breaking the law than those who are trying to uphold it.
Speaker 9: That was beautifully said. But the other thing I want to ask you is, and I should have started with this, what kind of what what kind of punishment have have people in this environment been given in the past?
Speaker 2: And you know.
Speaker 9: A lot about what the climate is and how much they with.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, Unfortunately we're losing you on the phone here. I think the question of Peter is what has been done to I don't know that we've had that many attacks on corrections officers. Most people who are in prison, Peter, I have found, and I have had many of them who listen to my show and who have emerged in better shape emotionally, psychologically, mentally, whatever you want to call it. They will call this program and they will tell me that they serve time. I had a gentleman called the other night who served twenty one years for a crime he didn't commit. He finally proved it through DNA that he was innocent of the crime for which he has committed. He talked about contemplating suicide, and we were talking about suicide the other night. But he made the point that he gets a small settlement from the Commonwealth Massachusetts, which is cap because of his incarceration. But this guy had an attitude. Okay, I survived that and I'm going to maximize the rest of my life. He was telling me he had a grandson and that he was going to spend as much time with So there are people who do go through the system and really turn themselves around, and we cannot punish those people. And you know, we have to give people every opportunity. But when someone is so flagrant that they will attack a corrections officer stab him twelve times, that person is lost. And as far as I'm concerned, whatever you want to do with him, we can't give him the death penalty. I get that, we can't do anything that's cruel and unusual in violation of the Eighth Amendment. I get that. But my suggestion is, when they do something like this, have a crime that says if you attack a corrections officer, work something out with the federal government that you become immediately eligible upon conviction for transfer to super maxim in Colorado. Because I don't think that's a present that any of these guys want to go.
Speaker 5: To you know, I think that's a reasonable punishment. You know, a couple of things though that I think we're said to dan. You know, first of all, these instances that rise to this level fortunately are rare, but I don't think that, you know, you don't start here, right. This is somebody who has probably been violent in the past. And I think these you know, from what I hear I'm talking to correction hosts, they're in fights all the time, you know this, so it's not unusual for them to have to to have to, you know, get in a brawl with some of these inmates. Now, you're absolutely correct. There are inmates who just want to serve their time. They want to be rehabilitated and come out and just go on with their life. And I think our sheriffs who are running the county jails are doing fantastic work. And you know, uh my sheriff is Sheriff lou of Angelitis. He's doing fantastical by.
Speaker 2: The way, with with Sheriff Evangelitis today and he said great things about you and and your leadership on Beacon Hill, by the way, just so.
Speaker 5: You know, well, and you know he's he's a good friend. And but he's doing great work and he's you know, he's helping to you know, get those who want the help right. And it's it's all gonna be within you. You have to want to get out of there and and turn your life around and and be rehabilitated and and and find a job and do all those things that you have to do. And lou has some great programs that are helping people do just that, and his recidivism is down, and that's what we got to look for. But you're these individuals again, I think it's not going out on a limb saying that this is not the first time that this particular individual or these these individuals who are involved with this have been involved in an altercation in prison.
Speaker 2: People who are who were stopped for speeding at one hundred and twenty miles an hour in the turnpike. It's not the first time they went over the speed limit. That's what you're saying. Eat all right, Peter Durant, Thank you very much. Elizabeth. I'm sorry your phone broke up on us, but you made some great points. Thank you so much for joining us tonight. Thank you all right, Thanks Elizabeth. We're going to come back with State Senator Peter Durant. I got Gary, and I got ed, and I got room for you, and I want to hear from you. Six one, seven two four ten thirty six seven nine. We will switch topics. One. We're going to let Peter Durant finish his day. It's been a long day for him. State Senator Durant, uh. And then we will be talking with the WBZ car guys, Larry and Scott Rubinstein, answering all of your automotive questions. You want to buy a new car, you want to sell your own car, you want to know what to how to take care of your car coming into the fall and driving season. That's why they're there tonight, and we will talk to them right after the ten o'clock news. We're going to finish up with State Senator Durant, who is who's one of the most thoughtful members of the legislature. I'm a little biased, frankly, because I want to see more Republicans in both the House and Senate so that we can have a more balanced legislature. And things like this tend not to happen as often in legislatures in states where legislators have legislatures have more philosophical balance. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio earlier tonight, at the beginning of the eight o'clock hour, I told you that Knightside would be more exciting and more informative than the Red Sox game I'm watching. You know, the Red Sox lost two to nothing, and Peter, I know you're a Red Sox fan. They suffered the indignity of a one hitter tonight. They were only able to be one hit from the number nine hit. All the big guys were three oh three, oh for three. Unbelievable. Let's get back to the My son is almost ruined. Let me go to Gary, Gary Wolver Gary, you're on a state Senator Peter Durank, right ahead.
Speaker 8: Gary, comment, and then I'll tell the question of Peter. Donald Trump's famous for us come back to haunt us again. We need to take care of ourselves.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: The question is this is with felons, Okay, how do they live? Peter and Dan, If you're a fellon, white call a fellon or a violent sellon, isn't it twenty three hours a day of lock up and only go out of your jail cell for an hour.
Speaker 5: I don't thanks for question. I don't believe that's the case if you're just a sellon. I think that's the case if they are for various levels, But I don't know that I can answer that question.
Speaker 2: I think that at super Max in Colorado, when you're dealing with some of those high profile like Boston barmber number two, they get an hour in the are today. Okay, that is not the norm. Maybe that's what this guy has to deal with for the rest of his life at Susan Bereanowski or maybe, as I say, I'd like to see him transferred out of the state uh and put into a very controlled set of circumstances like super Max in Colorado, And that might be a piece of legislation we might want to think about.
Speaker 5: Peter, Yeah, yeah, it makes sense that we need that that next level and attempted murder.
Speaker 2: If you're convicted for attempted murder of a prison guard in a Massachusetts correctional facility, that your punishment, you know, you work something out with the federal government where they will take they will take these brutally vicious criminals off the hands, and obviously they can handle him at supermax better than can be at super Baronowski. Did you have a question Gary as well or comment?
Speaker 8: Did you want to have one last question? It goes like it's gonna be an unusual question, but here goes I know guys who have been to jail who are friends of mine, misdemeanor and when they go to jail, of course you got the machines with candy and soda and all that, and you got the Raman marouched noodles for two dollars a bag in the machine. My question to you, Peter is this, we know that prisoners only eat very light in food because that's you know, you committed the crime. My question is this, if the if the families are just sending in money for them to eat from the machines and they're more affordable and they're fulfilled, will not be a better prisoner where they're just saying and that's tempted, that hurts somebody.
Speaker 2: I think that's an interesting topic for another night, Peter. But I think in view of what this guy did to the prison guard, our focus should be on the real victims in this crime, including the prison guard who will stabbed twelve times. Thanks, Gary, appreciate you call. Let me go next to Ed and Chelsea. Ed going to get you in here with State Senator Peter Duryant before we have to wrap the hour. Go ahead, Ed, Eddie there, Okay, yeah, Eddie you there, let's go. We're running out of time. I want to get you under the wire. Go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Yes. Uh, well, it's always been violent inside there. I did eleven years. I'm well aware of all the situation. I don't know this place you're talking about, but I'm well aware of.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you, as an alumnus of the Massachusetts Correctional System, what how, what punishment should be imposed upon an inmate who attempts to stab or successfully stabs a correction officer twelve times and puts him in the hospital. What what sort of a penalty do you think would be?
Speaker 6: He's done, He's done, He's done. The inmates don't want it either. You don't understand what what? What? Everybody gets out?
Speaker 2: Okay, how how do we how do we treat give us an idea? You're you're a guy who has more experience inside than I do. When Peter does, what do you do with this guy? Put him in solitary confide then for for ten years? What do you how do you punish him for this, particularly if he's already a lifer.
Speaker 6: I'll bet you, I'll bet a dollar to a million that this tension was building up for over a year. Over a year. They've seen it.
Speaker 8: God seen it.
Speaker 6: The God said something about it, and no one did nothing about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, I'm with you. What do you do? What do you do to this guy for punishment? Is there a punishment?
Speaker 6: Gun he's put now? The FEDS do have a situation where you can send a state prison of two Feds. I know that's for sure. Back then, okay, they sent you, I was, I was, They sent me state, then they sent me to FED. You send him to you send him?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: What is that one they have underground? The FED?
Speaker 2: I was talking about super Max in Colorado, and I'm glad it was when your time and he came out and you sound fine to me? Thank you tonight.
Speaker 6: Thirty years thirty years fine.
Speaker 2: Thirty ed call me some night and we'll talk more about it. I'm flat out of time. I I admire guys like you have been able to turn their lives around. And I mean that seriously.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Senator Durant. How can folks get in touch with you if they have ideas, maybe they'd like to support what you're trying to do up there to say, hell, what's the best way for people who on my program want to support Peter Durant.
Speaker 5: They can find me at Senator Durant dot com. And we love to hear from you and go to Senator Durant dot com and and reach out.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Peter again, long day, Thank you for your time tonight. You're the best.
Speaker 5: Thank you Daniel very much.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. You're welcome. When we get back, we're going to talk about cars with the WBZ car guys. I'm so looking forward to talking with Larry and Scott Rubinstein. They are the best. We haven't had them on for more than four months. They are long overdue. Get the phone calls going, because they will be here. They will take your calls, but it'll be tough to get in once the phone calls fill up. Sixty six, one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Nightside comes right back talking automobiles with Scott and Larry