Speaker 1: Stuck at home board and alone.
Speaker 2: You'd think I could have some fun on my own, but I'm board.
Speaker 3: I'm pot af with Cecily and Stephanie.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody, Welcome to boord af Patreon edition with me, Stephanie and Cecily.
Speaker 1: Guess what it's time for?
Speaker 3: Yay our play theater.
Speaker 1: We have the theater for you. We've brought you the theater.
Speaker 2: If you listen, done this before, we are going to be well, Steph you you set it up.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, uh, there's there's Apparently it's kind of a famous story if you have ever heard of the producer named Mark Brazil.
Speaker 1: And if you haven't, if you just go to his wiki page Mark Brazil.
Speaker 4: He's a stand up comic, television creator and executive producer, and he's most well known as being the co creator of That seventy show and also he co created That eighty show, which failed miserably was canceled by Fox after only thirteen a half hour episodes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you look at.
Speaker 4: Mark Brazil's wiki page, the very third thing down is conflict with Jet Appatow, and it says.
Speaker 5: In late Wikipedia page this is.
Speaker 4: The setup in late two thousand and one Jet Appatow sought to have tofer Grace of that seventy show appear in an episode of his series Undeclared. Okay, so that's actually good to know, because it can be a little bit confusing, because keep in mind, this is well after the fact of what they're talking about, which is the Ben Stiller Show. So this initiated a string of heated emails between the two. Brazil claimed that Appatow had still in his idea.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't tell Okay, We're just gonna this is where the acting comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Yes, the emails were subsequently leaked and widely circulated online, and now, okay, we're going to read them for you.
Speaker 2: The part of Jut Appatel will be played by Cecily Noble.
Speaker 1: And the part of Mark Brazil will be played by me. And the reason we do.
Speaker 4: This is because Jut is kinder and funnier and Mark is angry.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not, I'm not funnier. I like somehow I like I'm like, yes, I am nicer. Okay, so there's no rhyme or reason to this. We're not really going to do the voice because that's annoying. I don't know how to do a jet Aptel voice anyway, but we'll do our best. Okay, Ah you ready? Yeah, Mark, I'm writing you because I left a message but did not hear back. I understand from Gail Berman that you were upset about me not calling you to ask if Tofer could do our show.
Speaker 3: Since Fox execs, we're talking to tof.
Speaker 2: For about it. I thought it was cool with you. Also, since I hadn't ritten it yet, I wasn't at the point of asking if it was possible to have him do it. I would have called your show. Then I mentioned the names of several people who were interested in doing cameos on our show to the Variety Guy. They decided to only mention Tofer. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. I didn't realize it would create a problem. I never wish to offend you. If there's some protocol to people on Fox doing guest shots on other Fox shows, I didn't know what it was. Regardless, I'm sorry that this resulted in such a mess. If you're mad at me about this or something else from our past, please tell me. I only remember us having fun in the early nineties, and it troubles me that it seems like you have a beef with me. Best regards, jud Apatow.
Speaker 4: Jud, Yeah, we were friends in the early nineties, and if you don't recall what happened, I'll remind you. I had a pilot at MTV called yard Dogs, about a rock band living in Hollywood. I told you about it, and you proceeded to completely rip it off storyline at all for the Ben Stiller show. You called it Grungies. MTV and UTA were working on an overall deal MTV's idea with me based on that pilot. When it turned up on your show, everything went away overnight. I had just had my son, Jack, and I had no job, no money, nothing. There's a saying I forgive, but I don't forget, and I don't forgive. So now you know, although I kind of think you already did, Mark, Mark.
Speaker 1: Should we butt in and talk about this?
Speaker 2: I think we should. Let's keep going, Okay, Mark, I truly don't remember anything that you're talking about. Jeff con wrote the Grungy Sketch, a parody where we did we did Seattle bands as the Monkeys. He did spell Monkeys wrong. Yes, I don't remember you ever calling me after that. Saying you were mad. Ben and I would get fifty sketches a week from the writers, and we'd pick the ones that we thought were funny. I never connected the two, even they don't seem similar. Ours was like a goofy, over the top parody, not a situation comedy about musicians. In la nobody watched our show, so I don't even see how that could be the reason your pilot died.
Speaker 3: The sketch aired.
Speaker 2: Once up against sixty minutes, so it didn't have any impact in town. I'm sorry you're upset. I am not a thief of ideas. I'm sorry you believe differently. Judd Apatow jed.
Speaker 4: The show I wrote was also over the top and it let down the fourth wall. Since it's registered at the WGA, you could compare the two, and as an exec producer, we both know you have input into every sketch. As for no one seeing the show, everyone knows everything in Hollywood, there are no secrets. Personally, I feel you've made a career out of being a sycophant to Carrie or Shanley or Roseanne, and when you were kissing ass you were stealing from lesser known comics are leeching off other people's ideas.
Speaker 1: Celtic Pride, Cable Guy.
Speaker 2: Whoah.
Speaker 4: I noticed how outraged you were not to get a writing credit on Cable Guy.
Speaker 1: Until it came out and was panned.
Speaker 4: You dropped that cause like the show biz weasel you are. You may not think you're a thief, but most comics know otherwise. And again you know that too. Have you ever read What makes Sammy Wren? I think you'd like it? Get Cancer Love?
Speaker 1: Mark?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, oh god, I need a minute.
Speaker 2: Mark.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: We all wrote for comics at the beginning of our careers. I wrote for Roseanne. You wrote for Dennis Miller. If that makes me a sickofant, then I guess I am, and so are the writers for Caesar's Hour. I dropped my Cable Guy lawsuit not because the film got bad reviews, but because I spent eighty grand on it and my lawyer told me I was gonna lose. You'd be upset if you rewrote the vast majority of a script and received no credit. I wish you'd called me about this years ago. I'm sure we could have worked it out. Try not to be so angry.
Speaker 3: Not everyone is as.
Speaker 2: Bad as you think you should call Jeff Con and ask him how that sketch originated. If it turned out that I didn't steal your ideas, would you still want me to get cancer? I swear to god, I didn't know you were mad about this until six weeks ago. I was still referring to you as my old friend. Maybe one day I'll be able to say that again. Jud Appatol, Wow, he's being too nice. Okay, Okay, I'll be Jeff Cohn because I know.
Speaker 3: Jeff CON's in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now, I don't know Mark. Okay, this is a quickie. Mark, it's come to my attention.
Speaker 4: You're upset with Jet Appatow about the sketch the Grunges.
Speaker 1: I completely understand why you would have been.
Speaker 4: Pissed off about seeing something similar to what you are working on at the time. However, the idea for the Grungies and all the initial writing and rewriting came from me. I also cast it, acted in it, and edited it. I was and still am influenced by pop music, and I thought it would be funny to satirize the seriousness of the Seattle grunge music scene with the ridiculous superficiality of the Monkeys nineteen sixty show. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding. By the way, huge fan of that seventy show. Congratulations on its well deserved success. I also think it's so cool you said it in Wisconsin. I went to the University of Wisconsin at Madison and loved it. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to email me. Jeff con Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now Judg's back in. So I'm Judd Mark Mark.
Speaker 1: Oh you're oh sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I have no interest in talking with you on the phone anymore. It seems like there was a leap, like he tried to call him on the phone or something. Yes, and Jude didn't want to talk. I know you're very successful, and I think that gives you the right to judge.
Speaker 3: Wait, and I think that gives you the right.
Speaker 1: To judge Pepink.
Speaker 2: I think that gives you the right to judge people and berate them regardless of the facts. But I've had enough of you for one day. I know it's hard to believe that your rock band tv idea, which every writer in this town has thought of at one point, was not on my mind happy Year after you told it to me. Yeah, you thought of breaking the fourth wall grout show, and George.
Speaker 3: Burns stole it from you. Maybe you should sue Bernie Mack. Why don't you see.
Speaker 2: The guys who have had the new show How to Be a Rock Star on the WB I must have told them your idea.
Speaker 3: Nobody has ever.
Speaker 2: Goofed on rock bands, not spinal tap or the is it Ruddles the Ruddles or eight hundred Saturday or eight hundred Saturday Night Live sketches.
Speaker 3: I should have.
Speaker 2: Told everyone on the show, no rock band sketches. That's Brazil's area, the area. So hold on to your hate and rage, even though it makes no sense. I'm going to go back to my life of fevery and leeching. As for the cancer, I'll wait till you get it, and then I'll steal it from you. By the way, that joke was one of my writers, Rodney Rothman. We know him him, See I credited him. See I have no original thoughts. Sorry, I bothered to figure this out.
Speaker 4: Oh that's brilliant, jud How appropriate that you had to use someone else's joke to take a swipe at me. I told you my idea. You did it two weeks later ver batim spew revision as shit all you want. Everyone knows you're a hack. Also, everyone knows how you fucked over Paul Fig on the new show. All your press mentions your brilliant freaks and geeks, as if Fig didn't do the series, it must have killed you when the true genius behind it got nominated for an Emmy. Is your wife still livid about someone in the neighborhood building a house just like hers? Tell her I know how she feels. The reason I called was to tell you to piss off. We'll never be friends, regardless of the pussy whining from your last email. I respect you zero see at the upfronts, bitch, well unless you get canceled before that. Until then, die in a fiery accident and taste your own blood.
Speaker 1: Is that too? Angry? Love Brazil?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Okay, this one's a little bit long. Should I skip some of it?
Speaker 2: No? Mark, I hope your anger is a joke, because if it isn't. Wow, here's a line by line reply. I have starred the replies. If you're confused by my format and then okay, so you have to you reread the line.
Speaker 4: Okay, how appropriate that you had to use someone else's joke to take a swipe at me.
Speaker 3: That was the joke.
Speaker 2: How interesting that you couldn't understand that you would think someone with the lineage of yard Dogs have the intellectual acumant to pick up on that. I feel for the writers that have to pitch to you, never doubt how much they hate you.
Speaker 4: I told you my idea, You did it two weeks later verbatim spew revisioned as shit all you want.
Speaker 5: How could I hear your idea, steal it and then have it aired two weeks later? It was a filmed sketch show. Sketches were written months before they aired. They were filmed six weeks before they aired. I thought you were a purduece sir. Shouldn't you understand how these shows are made? Do you start writing episodes two weeks before they air? Maybe you stole Yard Dogs from me.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows you're a hack.
Speaker 2: That's why I kiss the ass. Let me know who thinks I'm a hack, so I can kiss their ass as well.
Speaker 3: I also suck dick lately.
Speaker 2: That's how I got my DreamWorks deal.
Speaker 4: Also, everyone knows how you fucked over Paul Fig on the New show. All your press mentions your brilliant freaks and geeks, as if Fig didn't do the series, it must have killed you when the true genius behind it got nominated for an Emmy.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's hard for you to believe, but I do not control the national media.
Speaker 3: That is only true in your paranoid mind.
Speaker 2: If I create a show that they often mention, if I create a show they often mentioned the last show. If you create a new show by yourself, I doubt they'll spend a lot of time talking about the Turners when they write about that eighty show, I'm sure they won't even mention that seventy show. I wrote an entire article in the La Times, a cover story in the case that credited Paul for his work. He went from a struggling actor to an established writer producer over the course of a year. He's still my friend, and I'm happy that he was nominated for two Emmys.
Speaker 3: He deserved it. I wasn't upset about his Emmy nominations. I already have enough.
Speaker 2: The certificates are so big, you can only hang so many before it starts looking tacky.
Speaker 1: Kind of like boorned af magnets.
Speaker 4: Yes, is your wife still livid about someone in the neighborhood building a house.
Speaker 1: Just like hers? Yes, well tell her I know how she feels.
Speaker 3: I'm on it.
Speaker 4: The reason I called was to tell you to piss off. We'll never be friends, regardless of the pussy winding from your last email.
Speaker 2: The funniest part of of these emails is how bad your sense of humor is. You neither get nor can take a joke after you said get cancer? Did you really think I was looking to heal our relationship? Usually the cancer insult is a closer. I'm sure everyone who suffered with that appreciates.
Speaker 3: Your sharp wit.
Speaker 1: I respect you zero.
Speaker 4: Oh no, see it the upfront, bitch, Well, unless you get canceled before that.
Speaker 2: If you think cancelation hurts me at this point, you haven't been following my career as closely as I thought.
Speaker 3: I guess you're too busy tracking my real estate.
Speaker 4: Problems until then die in a fiery accident and taste your own blood.
Speaker 2: That's a Sam Kinnison line, You stupid, fuck you hypocrite, Jacques.
Speaker 3: And then that's too angry?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, is that too angry?
Speaker 3: Love?
Speaker 1: Brazil.
Speaker 3: Mark, I have enjoyed this.
Speaker 2: It's good to see the tragedies of the past few months have have not watered down your passion. I guess if Mark Brazil doesn't go insane over stuff that makes no sense, the terrorists win. Good luck with that eighty show and I look forward to that nineties show Judd Apatow.
Speaker 3: That is so great?
Speaker 1: Is that brilliant?
Speaker 2: That's the end of our Yeah, that is Yeah, let's break that down.
Speaker 3: First of all, I mean Mark Brazil's insane.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, so insane, even if because we've had stuff stolen, both of us and it really does hurt, and you sometimes you get so mad and you don't even know where to put it, even if, like if someone said back to me immediately like oh my god, no, I'm so sorry you felt the way like here's who wrote it, and here's I can even send you their email or the sketch.
Speaker 3: Right, why would you continue?
Speaker 2: I mean, why would you hate him that much?
Speaker 4: I mean he's crazy and he was like super successful at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you is there any part of you that thinks it was all for shit? This ally was all a joke? Like remember when Letterman used to have fake feuds with people. It was never real.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think so it's possible. How do we crack this case?
Speaker 4: I mean it's kind of famous, so I don't know. I feel like Mark Brazil might just be an asshole.
Speaker 2: I mean he's like a because that's not just like a crazy drug fueled that. I mean that seemed like that went over some time. That wasn't all in one day, right.
Speaker 4: I mean the whole thing where he's like I was when I wrote Yard Dogs, when I had that deal, I just had a kid and I had no job and no money, Like he's really thinking that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Also, can we discuss the fact that Jed Appatow's spelling errors, Like he put a lot of like apostrophes where they didn't belong, and it was just it's interesting, it is I'm seeing that it is.
Speaker 2: That's why I was a little bit tough to read sometimes. But you know, it does tell you something. It doesn't mean that you have to like be perfect grammatically to be a great writer. But he had some help, So maybe that helps make Mark's point of like, are you.
Speaker 1: The hack was that? I think?
Speaker 4: But I think that it doesn't matter because Jed Appatow it was obviously good at kissing ass and you know, getting things to.
Speaker 1: Happen, which is happened to Battle of the Nine more than that, And I think that's true.
Speaker 2: I think first of all, and I know jud was your ex lover for those who don't know, excellent, We've talked about that extensively. Yeah, stuff had an affair, not an affair. They were both single, Yeah, not an affair. They used to mess around. But I love him regardless of him not becoming like your husband I and I'm glad that didn't happen. But I think he's brilliantly talented.
Speaker 3: Not everybody feels that way.
Speaker 2: I actually love when I see something that he's going to put something out, even if it's not its best, I know it's going to be better than a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Well, what I said about him back then and what I still maintain now is he was such a funny stand up.
Speaker 1: I mean he was really original and funny and not a hack at all.
Speaker 3: I mean no, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: So that that's completely wrong and all obviously just coming out of anger and jealousy.
Speaker 2: I love that this all started over Toe for Grace, who by the way, for a very long time, you know, when we used to make like celebrity cheat lists, which I think we've talked about, but like, I mean, I'm not cheating on anybody now, but like when I had a boy i'd have my celebrity toaf for.
Speaker 3: Grace was always on my celebrity.
Speaker 1: She was your hall pass.
Speaker 2: He was my hall pass, which is so stupid, like it was to for Grace Martin Freeman from the off the original BBC Office, Huh, Like I like like a very impish, dowey, blue eyed gentleman.
Speaker 4: So that should have been threatening to any boyfriends because they're gettable.
Speaker 3: Well my joke, that was my that's my exes.
Speaker 2: Jeff always said that because I would be like him the barista at Starbucks, Kevin, and he's.
Speaker 3: Like he he can't be your hall It's gonna be celebrities. I'm like, he'll he's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be famous someday, Kevin the baris so is gonna be pretty big.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was kind of gettible. Really, Martin Freeman is definitely gettable. I think it wasn't then anyway, Okay, that's that's our show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna find some more of the If you guys like bees, we'll find some more and do them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh for sure. Oh John, I'll beyond that. He could be our producer for that. Oh yes, he'll find us some stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, we love you guys. Thank you, guys, thank you.
Speaker 4: We're sorry, right, okay, bye,