Speaker 1: Set up with the everyday grind, tied out from the summer heat, I want to get away.
Speaker 2: From it all.
Speaker 3: We offer you escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of today. For a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are spurring a lathered horse through darkened streets, trapped by two hostile armies, with a kit of magic in your pocket, and the American Revolution in the balance.
Speaker 3: Tonight we escaped to an earlier day and to the workshop of a famous wizard, as Stephen Vincent Viney told it in his delightful story A Tooth for Paul Revere.
Speaker 4: Some say it all happen because of Hancock and Adams, and some put it back to the Stamp Act from before, and there's sum that hold out for Paul Revere and his little silver box. But the way I heard it, the American Revolution broke out because of Lige Butterwick and his tooth. My great aunt was a Butterwick, and I heard it from her every now and then. She'd write it out and want to get it put in the history books, but they'd always put her off with some trifling sort of excuse. But the way she told her to us kids sitting there before the flickering fire on some blustery, blowy night. It sounded spooky enough and wonderful enough to be as true as the Union history books.
Speaker 5: But you don't get the writer of things from such. In the story of a nation, it's the queer corners that count, the tales that get whispered down through families. Not Take Paul, for instance, All most folks think about as his riding a horse, But he was a silver smith by trade, and there was a kind of magic in that hand to his. I could see just a little bit farther into the millstone than most folks, And in that little shopper his on those fateful nights, he sat over a miraculous flame and brooded the revolution in a silver tea pot, and then he put it into a little silver bugs no bigger than this.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's the way my great aunt talked about Paul Revere, and the chills ran a passpines. But it takes all kinds to make a country, she used to say. And it isn't till the plain ones like Ledge Butterway get stirred up the things really start to happen. Liedge was just an ordinary sort of man, without special vision into a millstone. It might be a grand day in the history books, but for him it was just Tuesday till he read about it in the papers. Folks could argue and fret about Boston tea parties and British warships in Boston Harbor and British soldiers in Boston streets. But Liedge Butterwick just plucked his tongue and wondered how the corn might stand this year. On his farm outside Lexington, Massachusetts, one day, Loige Butterwick woke up with a toothache. The hot salt pack and the tansy tea his wife fixed for.
Speaker 6: Him didn't seem to help much.
Speaker 4: Our third day, Missus Butterwick tied a string to the tooth, and Lige stood by the door.
Speaker 7: You ready, uh huh?
Speaker 8: Where Mathy when it came to the pinch couldn't quite do it.
Speaker 4: So that's how Elije Butterwick came to ride into Lexington, Massachusetts that day. He just had to see somebody about that tooth. And when he got there the town was in an uproar.
Speaker 8: Y Lig's Butterwick, Eh, oh, goody to you, neighbor WILLIAMS.
Speaker 9: Blige. I didn't expect to see you here today.
Speaker 8: It's my tooth.
Speaker 7: Tooth?
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 9: Uh uh huh uh huh huh oh isn't it exciting.
Speaker 8: Exciting the toothy?
Speaker 9: No, no, you would net all this. Have you seen them yet?
Speaker 8: Saying who?
Speaker 9: Boy Hancock and Adams? Of course, John Hancock and Sam Adams. They're at the Parson.
Speaker 8: Clark's only folks who come here to say was the barber figure, He's the only one to do some from a tooth.
Speaker 9: You don't pool me, lied, You're probably just as excited as I am. Have you cleaned your musket?
Speaker 8: Musket?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 8: It's five months the hunting season yet, that's.
Speaker 9: Where you're wrong. Lies, looks like hunting season maybe early this year. M keep your potty dry, huh.
Speaker 4: And so elige. Butterwick came to Lexington and it was a great deal for the history books and to him it was just Tuesday and his tooth was jumping, and he went to see the barbers, the likeliest man he knew to pull a tooth. But the barber took one look at it and shook his head.
Speaker 2: I can pull her out all right, lide, but she's got long ruts and strong ruts, and she'd can't leave norful gap.
Speaker 8: When she's gone. Hmm, that's true.
Speaker 2: Now what's really need though, it's caustic my business? One of these here, artificial teeth.
Speaker 8: To go there in the hole, artificial teeth. Hey, you know, Land of Mercy's flying in the face of nature.
Speaker 2: And the kind lige artificial teeth is all the goold these days.
Speaker 8: Election to ought to keep up with times.
Speaker 10: But it would do me no good.
Speaker 8: You see you were not a fish too, Yes, indeed it would, It would do you good. But suppose I did want one, how on Tonquet would have get it in Lexington?
Speaker 11: Now you just leave that all to me. You'll have to go into Boston. But I know just the man here if I can find his had his prospectors here somewhere, Oh oh yes here see here h spell Caul Revere in Boston. That fixes him and they say he's a boss workman. Yes, Now you just listen to this here.
Speaker 2: Whereas many persons were so unfortunate as to lose their four teeth that shoe lide, oh, to their great detriment, not only in looks, but in speaking, both in public and private. This is to inform all shots that they can have them replaced by artificial ones. I see that will look as well as the natural and answer to the end of speaking to all intents. Oh, yes, and then see it was on his name. Yes, his name's right here, Paul Revere, Goldsmith near the head of doctor Clark's while in Boston.
Speaker 8: H sounds well enough. But what's it going to cost?
Speaker 2: Oh? I know Revere comes through here pretty often as a matter of fact.
Speaker 8: Dos.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a decent fellow, even if he is a pretty big bug and sounds lipty.
Speaker 8: You just mentioned my name, Bah, it's something I hadn't thought of. But the for panny and for pound mister Day's work already, and that two has got to come up before I go stark staring mad. But what sort of man is its Revere anyway?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a regular wizard, regular wizard with his tools.
Speaker 8: Wizard.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 8: I don't know about wizards, but if he can fix my tooth, I'll call him one.
Speaker 4: So elige Butterwick got back on his horse and started for Boston. He rode through the busy, excited streets of Lexington, and when he came opposite the residence of Parson Clark, he saw a little crowd collected and men staring, so he stopped his horse for a moment, and mister.
Speaker 8: Is that them? There's a hill sign?
Speaker 3: Mister Hancock and mister Adams, Sir there through the window, tall handsome man and the short man with.
Speaker 6: Face like a bulldog.
Speaker 8: Wouldn't no sun? The strangers to me get up.
Speaker 6: Then he got to Boston.
Speaker 4: He began to feel queer, and it wasn't only his tooth. He hadn't been there for four years, and he'd expected to find it changed, but it wasn't that either. The sky was clear and beautiful, but Blige felt like there was thunder in the air. It was uncanny, and the people there had little nuts of them on the corners, but when he came up to them, they seemed to melt away or then look at you, stop talking. And then he came to the harbor out there in the port of Boston, riding black and grim with the British warships. He had no one let be there, of course, but it was different somehow, seeing them with their guns pointed in at the town. Suddenly felt uncomfortable, felt it like to turn and go home, but he was hungry and so he went to a tavern for a bite.
Speaker 8: A good day to you, and what may I do for you, stranger? Just bite us up. If you're serving, I have a seat, You'll be served. Thank you. Uh nice weather having these days.
Speaker 9: It's bitter weather for Boston.
Speaker 8: Well now, maybe for Boston, but out in the country we'd call a good plant weather.
Speaker 6: I guess maybe I was mistaken in you.
Speaker 4: It is good planting weather for some kind of trees, trees.
Speaker 8: Well, now, I I suppose you're right about that.
Speaker 6: That's and what kind of trees would you be thinking of.
Speaker 4: There's trees and trees you know.
Speaker 8: Well, now that you're asking, you might.
Speaker 4: The liberty tree, and may it soon be watered in the blood of tyrants.
Speaker 10: The Royal oc of England, and God save King George and Lawtey.
Speaker 12: I didn't live.
Speaker 9: Glory.
Speaker 8: I always heard city folks were crazy. But politics must be getting serious in these American colonies when they start fighting about trees.
Speaker 1: Aye and it his friend.
Speaker 8: So they threw you out too.
Speaker 1: Yes, blesshem, but I want to shake your hand nobly done, for I'm glad to find another true hearted man loyal to the crown in this pestilent, rebellious city.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, I don't know. Hows I quite agree with you about that. But I came here to get my toothfakes, not to talk about politics. And as long as you've spoken so pleasant, I wonder if you could help me out. You see, I'm from Lexington Way, and I'm looking for a fellow named Paul Revere.
Speaker 6: Paul Revere, No, so it's Paul Revere.
Speaker 1: You want my worthy and ingenious friend from the country, Well, I'll tell you how to find him.
Speaker 8: Good, I thank you. You go up to the first British soldier you see and ask.
Speaker 6: The way, but you'd better give the password.
Speaker 8: First password.
Speaker 1: Yes, you say to that British soldier any lobsters for sale today? And then you ask about Revere.
Speaker 8: But why do I talk about lobsters first?
Speaker 1: Well, you see, the British soldiers wear redcoats, so they like being asked about lobsters. Just try it and see, Just try it, my friend and see.
Speaker 8: Pardon me, sir? Do you have any lobsters for sale today?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 9: Hold?
Speaker 5: Day?
Speaker 3: You see the.
Speaker 8: Barrel place to hide? I'll not wait.
Speaker 10: Come on, fudge, huh, you can come out now they've gone past.
Speaker 8: Oh, oh, yes, thank you.
Speaker 9: Nice.
Speaker 10: Look at your clothes. That was a tar barrel you jumped into.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm aside.
Speaker 10: What were they chasing you for?
Speaker 8: I really don't know. I guess I didn't give the right password. Password, that's but all the same. I don't think soldiers ought to act like that when you ask him a several questions. But SETI, folks are soldiers. They can't make a fool out of me. I came here to get my tooth fixed, and get it fixed as well if I have to surprise the whole British Kingdom to do it.
Speaker 10: Good for you, sir? Can I be of any help to you?
Speaker 8: Ah? You can, boy Er, Tell me where I may find the silversmith Paul Revere.
Speaker 10: Oh, that's easy. Right before your eyes there's a sign hanging down by the wharf, and that's his shop.
Speaker 4: I work there.
Speaker 8: Well, now, those soldiers did me a good turn after all. Come on, boy and now maybe I'll get my tooth fixed.
Speaker 4: Then, Liedge Butterwick was in the shop of Paul Revere, silversmith, goldsmith, jack of all trades, sculpturer of artificial teeth, brewer of revolutions, wizard the shop itself was small and dark, with mysterious shadows lurking in the corners, and the bag it was crammed full of the wondrous products of its owner's skillful hand, gold and silver, objects of great beauty, Prince of Boston and caricatures were the British odd boxes and bottles filling the shelves. At this particular moment, it was also full of customers, and Liede Buttterweight, with the cautious shyness of the countryman, sank back into a corner seat out of the way, watched as Paul Revere waited on several customers. The last of these was a grand lady who looked like an irate turkey goblins.
Speaker 7: Oh, Master Revere, I am so disappointed. When I took the things from the box, I could just have cried.
Speaker 6: It's I whom disappointed, madame. What was the trouble? Must have been carelessly pegged? Was it badly ended?
Speaker 9: Now speak the boy?
Speaker 7: No, No, it wasn't dhinted. But I wanted a really impressive silver service, something I can use when the Governor comes to dine with us. I certainly paid for the best, and what have you given me?
Speaker 12: I've given you the best work of which I am capable, madam. It was in my hands for six months, and I think they're capble hends. Oh, I know you were a competent artisan, master silversmith.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't care what you call it. I know I wanted a real service, something I could show my friends. And what have you given me?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 7: It's silver, if you choose, But it's just as plain as a picquet fence.
Speaker 6: Simple plain. You pay me high compliments, madam, compliments.
Speaker 7: Indeed, I'll send it back tomorrow. Why there isn't as much as a lion or a unicorn on the cream jug. And I told you I wanted the sugar bowl covered with silver grapes. But you've given me something as bare as the hills of New England. And I won't stand it. I tell you, I'll send to London instead.
Speaker 8: Send way, madam.
Speaker 6: We're making new things in this country, new men, new.
Speaker 12: Silver perhaps, who knows, a new nation plain, simple, bear as the hills and rocks a New England, graceful as the boughs of elm trees. If my silver were only like that, indeed, that's what I wish to make it as for you men, them with your lions and unicorns and grape leaves and your nonsense of bad ornamentation done by bad silversmiths. You're imported bad taste, and you're imported British manners. Puff away with you, Puff, Puff puff, I say, William, Yes, sir, put up the shutters. We're closing for the day, oh William, No word yet from doctor Warren, Not yet, sir.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what's that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 8: Who are you there in the corner? Well, mister Vere it is mister Vere. Yes, yes, of course it's a kind of a long story, but closing or not. You got to listen to me.
Speaker 6: The barber told me so, the barber.
Speaker 8: You say, I'm large, Butterwick and that's my toes on toes. You'd better begin at the beginning. We now, Yeah, you don't talk like a Boston man. Where'd you come from? Around Lexington Way?
Speaker 6: And you see Yton? Were you there this morning?
Speaker 8: But of course I was. That's where the barber.
Speaker 12: I never mind barber or miss Hancock and mister Adams still at passing clocks?
Speaker 8: Well they might have been for all I know, but I couldn't say.
Speaker 12: Great heaven is there a man in the American colonies. Who don't know miss Hancock and mister Adams.
Speaker 8: Oh there seems to be me. But speaking of strangers, there was two of them staying at the Passonage when I rode past. One was a handsome man.
Speaker 6: The other man looked more like a bulldog.
Speaker 12: So they still live and they're British ready to match. Did you see many soldiers as you give me my Shopwick?
Speaker 8: See them? They chased me into a tire barrow was hold past. All of them by the common with guns and flags, looked as if they meant business.
Speaker 12: Thank you, Misseddwick. You're a shrewd obsever You've done me and the colonies and invaluable service.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 8: That's nice to know. But speaking of this too, you're a stubborn man, mister Wick.
Speaker 6: All the better. I like stubborn men.
Speaker 8: I wish we had more of them.
Speaker 6: Well, one good time serves another.
Speaker 9: You've helped me.
Speaker 8: I'll do my best for you.
Speaker 12: I've made artificial teeth, but drying them is hardly my trade. All the same, it's I have a look heah, come over here in the light I.
Speaker 8: Now open ah.
Speaker 6: Ye, well, mister by the Wick, it appears to.
Speaker 12: Be compound a glutinated infraction of the upper mola. And I'm afraid I can't do anything about it tonight. But but here's a draft that will.
Speaker 8: Ease the pain for a while. There.
Speaker 12: Drink mhm hm.
Speaker 8: It's it's spicy and uh and queer. Never mind. Now you go to a tavern, get a night dress, come back see me in the morning. I'll find a truth draft out for you if i'm here. Oh, yes, you'd best have some lineament.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 8: That's a queer kind of shop you have here, mister Avera. Some folks think so, say what's in that little bottle where? Oh that's a little chemical experiment of mine. I call it essence Seboston. But there's a good deal of the East wind essen Se Boston. Well, they did say it was a wizard. It's genuine magic. I suppose genuine magic, of course. And here here's the with your liniment. No, no, not that one, this one, I thank you. But that other little box are the little silver woman with the stars on it and the elm tree. Yes you like it, pick it up? Mighty party work.
Speaker 12: Thank you? My own design. Thirteen stars there see them? You could make a very pretty design with stars for a new country seat if you wanted to. I've sometimes thought of it.
Speaker 8: But what's in the box? It feels queer?
Speaker 6: What's in it? What's in the air?
Speaker 8: Round us?
Speaker 12: Gun pounder war, making of a new nation? The time isn't right yet, not quite ripe.
Speaker 8: I mean that this here revolution that folks keep talking about. Yes, in that spot, glory.
Speaker 10: B Master Revere, It's come, It's come, the message from doctor Warren.
Speaker 6: William My writing boots.
Speaker 12: Now hurry, I must be off. Sorry, miss Butterwick, but I must rush you. Take your linamund and come back tomorrow. Yes, Hick, I'll help you. Yes, say say.
Speaker 4: It wasn't till Liedge Butterwick was alone in his room at the tavern, where he was to stay the night, and he realized what he had done. In the bustle and haste of leaving mister Revere's shop. He had picked up the wrong box instead of the box of linament. He held in his hand, the little silver box with the thirteen stars upon it. He hadn't quite believed mister Revere when he talked about the box, and then everything had seemed so almighty queer since he had arrived in Boston and his tooth ache, and his head felt light, and he, being human, was curious. He looked for a keyhole, but there was none. The box wouldn't open. He shook it suddenly it felt warm, as if there was something alive inside it. He held it to his ear, Great Godfrey, now Laijah. Butterwick was feeling scared, but he was feeling kind of good too, And then he found out that he was talking to himself.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm not a Britisher, I'm a new Englander, and maybe there's something beyond there, something people like Handcott Adams know a bar and if it has to come with a revolution, well I guess it has to come. Can't stay British as here in this country. But what am I going to do with this box? Do big a job for one man? Guess we'll have to take this back to Paul Revere.
Speaker 4: First he went to the little shop on clark Swharf, but it was closed up tight and it was a while before he could rouse anyone. Then it was the boy William who opened the door. Oh it's you.
Speaker 10: Well, Master Revere isn't here, but.
Speaker 8: I've got to find him. Can you tell me where he's gone? Why do you want to know got something for him? He needs it.
Speaker 10: You wouldn't be a spy for the British, now would you?
Speaker 8: The spy me?
Speaker 10: Well, then what is it you got for him?
Speaker 8: This box, little Selver box? Took it by mistake. I think it's important.
Speaker 10: The box by the flag. It isn't parting. But he's gone, gone to won. The patriots of the British are coming.
Speaker 8: Which way, boy?
Speaker 10: Which way did he go across the river to Charlestown?
Speaker 8: All right, thank you boy, I'll be following.
Speaker 5: No, you don't get any boats from me. There was a crazy man long here an hour ago, and he wanted a boat too. My husband was crazy enough to take him.
Speaker 10: Do you know what he did?
Speaker 8: No, ma'am.
Speaker 5: He made my husband take my best petticoat to muffle the oar so they wooden splash when they passed that British ship. My best petticoat, mind, just when my husband comes back, he's going to get a piece of my eye.
Speaker 8: It was his name, Paul Revere, was a man of forty eyed, keen looking kind of Frenchy.
Speaker 5: I don't know what his right name is, but his name's mud with me. My best Petticoat tour into strips and swimming in that Mastery River.
Speaker 8: Thank you, ma'am. I get a boat elsewhere, mister.
Speaker 10: Butterwick, So be careful. Your own is right under the stern of a British man of war.
Speaker 8: Don't worry, I'll say it.
Speaker 10: Please, mister Butterwick.
Speaker 2: Oh are.
Speaker 10: Be careful, mister Butterwick.
Speaker 8: All right, boy.
Speaker 2: Here he's been going an hour, gone gone where, riding to elections to warn Hancock and Adams as soon as he spied the lights up there in the north Church.
Speaker 8: And I've got to catch him, says Box. He's got to have it. Where can I get a horse? Right over here? Come on.
Speaker 4: Out through the darkened streets of Charles Towny road on into the black of the countryside. Once he got lost, but he found his way again and rode on. It was just dawn as he came inside of Lexington, and the jew was glistening on the green of the april grass. But Elija Butterwick didn't notice the beauty of the dawn. The little silver box was hot and burning in his pocket, and then suddenly he reined in his horse. Were there on the road with two men carrying a trunk, and one of them was Paul Revere.
Speaker 8: Well, mister Fair, I say, I'm on time for that little appointment about my toes. Well you you are stubborn man, mister Bedwick.
Speaker 12: Allah, but you give me a marry chase all night. I've had one myself, been captured by the British once and escaped. Don't know what's steal in store for me, but we're carrying a precious cargo here in this trunk. We're bringing to safety all the private papers of mister Hancock and mister Adam.
Speaker 8: Which reminds me I've something for you here.
Speaker 6: Silver box. You've got the silver box.
Speaker 8: By mistake, and it's getting frightfully hot in my hand. Yes, my friend, And a little wonder across there had Lexington Green, the Green. Why there is a line of Lexington men, and there across the craig facing them, there's a column of British red coat.
Speaker 12: Say Land up with gains the armist by a week. They've come to arrest miss Hancock, mister Adams and the minute men stand before them.
Speaker 8: Mister Fair, I'm a peaceable man. I've had little notion of politics, but I don't like what I saw in Boston. I don't like soldiers chasing peaceable citizens into tar barrels, but uppity ladies with imported British manners. And I don't like British red coats on Lexington Green that I don't.
Speaker 6: Mister Betterwick, what you doing?
Speaker 8: I'm stamping on yourself a box, mister Revere and breaking it open.
Speaker 12: Do you know what you've done?
Speaker 6: You've let out the American Revolution. Look, they've fired the first shots.
Speaker 8: Well, I guess it's about time, and I guess i'd better be going now. Mister Bedwick, where are you going home? Got a musket on the wall there. I'll be needing everybody here. What about your tools?
Speaker 7: Oh, it's just a tooth.
Speaker 8: But a country is a country anyhow. The Nake Anymore.
Speaker 3: Escape produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Tonight brought to you A Tooth for Paul Revere by Stephen Vincent Benet, adapted for radio by John Duncle and featuring Harry bartel Is Large Butterwick Parley Bear as Paul Revere and Barry Kroger as the narrator. Special music by Ivan Ditmarsh.
Speaker 1: Next Week, You are Deep and a Fabulous cavern in the Mountain surrounded by a hood of angry natives from a lost world, held the mercy of the most beautiful woman in the world, the terrible queen called She.
Speaker 3: Next week we escape with h Rider Haggard's famous story She.
Speaker 9: Good Night.
Speaker 3: Then until the same time next week, when once again we offer you escape. This is CBS, where ninety nine million people gather every week. The Columbia Broadcasting System