Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is simply Safe home security and politics. As in so many fields, being proactive matters. If you're waiting for your opponent to strike first, you're already on your back foot. The same rule applies in home security. Unlike traditional security systems that only alert you after a break in is already underway, simply Safe is designed to help stop intruders before they get inside. Smart AI powered outdoor cameras to text suspicious activity at the perimeter of your home and alert live US based agents to step in. Simply Safe agents assess the threat intervened through the outdoor camera to ward off trespassers, then call for nine to one to one dispatch. Our CEO, Lucinda recently had a simply Safe installed in her home and she said it was quick and easy to install. It was up and running in no time. It's been working great for her and it gives her the peace of mind to know who's dropping by or if you want, you can easily chat with visitors through the camera even when you're away. Simply Safe has been protecting your world for twenty years. Right now you can get fifty percent off a new simply Safe system. Go to simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's simplysafe dot com slash crooked for fifty percent off. There's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: At Radio Lab, we love nothing more than nerding out about science, neuroscience, chemistry.
Speaker 3: But but we do.
Speaker 4: Also like to get into other kinds of stories, stories about policing or politics, country music, cocky, sex of bugs.
Speaker 2: Regardless of whether we're looking at science or not science, we'd bring a rigorous curiosity to get you the answers.
Speaker 4: And hopefully make you see the world a new.
Speaker 2: Radio Lab adventures on the edge of what we think we know.
Speaker 4: Wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Applied Save America. I'm Jon Favreau.
Speaker 5: I'm Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 3: So we were going to record a.
Speaker 1: Reaction to Tuesday's election results last night, but the Michigan Senate race was much closer than all the polling suggested. So here we are today bringing you a bonus pod, complete with an interview with Bernie Sanders, which you'll hear in a bit. But first, the headline, Abdul l Saied is now the Democratic nominee for the US Senate race in Michigan, with more than ninety five percent of the vote. In he defeated Haley Stevens by one point forty eight point five percent to forty seven point five percent, and we'll face former Republican Congressman current Florida homeowner Mike Rodgers.
Speaker 3: On one hand, Poles.
Speaker 1: Had Abdul ahead of Haley by anywhere between ten to nineteen points, and his team's confidence heading into Tuesday certainly matched that margin. On the other, we have a very progressive Muslim candidate who took on the entire Democratic establishment in DC and Michigan was outspent eleven to one by sixty million dollars in outside spending, duding a thirty two million dollar APAC spend that's more than any group has spent in any Democratic primary this cycle, and Abdul still won. Hailey Stevens very graciously conceded, and Mallory McMorrow, who had also been in the race, actually introduced Abdul at his victory event Wednesday morning, where he previewed his argument against Mike Rogers.
Speaker 6: Mike Rodgers is a guy who will do anything Blue Cross Blue Shield wants him to.
Speaker 3: Do, including raise your rates.
Speaker 6: Mike Rodgers is a guy who introduced legislation to increase the flow of opioids. He did that while I was in high school. Mike Rodgers is a guy who's politics and vision and perspective are old. Mike Rogers is a guy who has never shot away from a corporation he could do a favor for. Mike Rodgers is a guy who, believe it or not, went back to Florida so he can lick every single boot Donald Trump owns to beg for his endorsement.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 6: If you want a senator who's gonna lick some boots, fine, go vote for Mike Rogers. But if you want a senator who's gonna stand up to Donald Trump, then you've got your option right here. Michiganers are sick and tired of BS politics coming in to divide us when there's so much more we can unite to actually guarantee if we're willing to come together around it. So if all Mike Rogers got is that his name is Abdul and my name is Mike, You're gonna be surprised how many people will be like, yeah, but that's the Abdul who wants to bring down the price of my groceries. And gas and stop us sending money abroad and make sure that I got healthcare.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I like that.
Speaker 6: Abdul over your Mike from Florida.
Speaker 1: All Right, we'll get We'll get to that message in a bit, but let's start with the closer than expected results.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that? And what happened with the polling?
Speaker 5: What happened with the polling? That's a great question and a very hard one to answer because we don't have exit polls in this race, so it's hard to measure what the posters expect in terms of primary composition to what actually happened. But I will say that Michigan is a very hard state to poll. It always has been. Uh, it doesn't have a in state polster that is incredibly well regarded, and it doesn't and in the most well regarded one, the epic poll which came out a few weeks ago that had it was evens up ten. So no one seems to know what No one really knew what this elector was going to look like. Best guess is it people oversampled highly engaged, college educated voters who overwhelming voted for Abdul. Hence the margin undersampled Taylor was, yeah, Untail, We've seen it happen nationally. We now have it happening in democratic politics. And I was talking about this on Polar Coaster that's was just coming out on Thursday. Was Everyone's to check out. But it's actually the opposite polling error that happened in the twenty five Gubern Tour Racist where they understampled highly engagements.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's they were, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: So it's all very confusing. Let's put all the polling stuff aside, because the polling stuff only really matters here in one regard, which is it has everyone and messed with everyone's expectations. If the polls had been tied or had shown Hailey Stevens up a few points going into election, Daing and Abdul one by one, this would be the shot heard around the world. It would be, as you point out, with this incredible victory of a Muslim man named Abdul Elsai in beating the entire democratic machine, beating APEX, beating Chuck Schumer, beating Greshaan Whitmer and winning, and it would be this incredible victory. But because our expectation was he was win by a lot, and that expectation was magnified by the fact that the first counties that came in showed him dramatically outperforming what people expected his margins to be. The expectation has got messed up, and so the reason this race probably ended up playing out the way it was always going to play out. What ended up happening here is that Abdul had the typical coalition of a very progressive candidate in Michigan and nationally, which is a lot of young voters and a lot of college educated voters, and struggled with the rest of the coalition and Hailey Stevens maximized the rest of it, and you ended up with a very very close race.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone pointed out that Hillary Schulten, who's represents a western Michigan district, was a big Hailey Stephens supporter Abdul on her district, but Hailey Stephens won Rashida Talib's district. They're like, what's going on there. It's like, well, Hillary Schulten's district is a suburban district, heavily white, college educated and lefty progressive candidates do well with those voters, and Rashida Talib's district is much more diverse black voters especially, and that's how you know, more moderate Democratic candidates tend to do well in those places. I think in a place like Michigan. Yeah, if you have combining college educated white voters, Arab American voters, Muslim voters, which there's obviously a bigger portion in Michigan than any other state, and younger voters, and all the colleges are in Michigan, that's probably that's the I would guess that's the coalition that Abdul assembled to get him over the top.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, that's exactly right, and that you can't understate the importance of the Muslim population, particularly in Dearborn, which Abdul won essentially eighty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that makes you just to your point on college educated voters voting for Abdul, is that Hailey Stevens only won her own district by four points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something I'd love for someone to do some analysis of, because there's no like you said, there's no exemplese just some like county by county analysis, because Hailey Stevens did really well in a lot of rural counties, smaller towns, medium sized towns, which is not unexpected.
Speaker 3: But then like.
Speaker 1: Abdul did well in some northern rural counties and other places, So you know, we were sort of overgeneralizing just based on certain counties here and there. But I'd love to see a more detailed analysis. Let's just talk about APAC for a second. Do you think in the end, APAC spending was a net positive or negative for Haley Stevens, because, like I went into the race when you know, the expectations were that Abdul win by a lot, saying that it is clearly a negative because not only did they not help her win the race, but also they provided maybe the most effective argument for her opponent. Now you could argue it the other way now that it was only a one point race, But I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a somewhat complicated argument because being associated with APAC, being the APAC candidate was bad for Haley Stevens. APAC has a negative thirty seven percent favorability rating among Democrats in Michigan. It also made her the candidate of big money in politics because the APAC ads were so ubiquitous. APAC spent north of thirty million dollars in this race, and so in that sense, it definitely what hurt her and made her an establishment candidate in an anti establishment environment. However, Hilly Stevens was not a great fundraiser, you know, according to ad impact data, of the sixty million dollars it was spent on her behalf, ninety seven percent of the ads were paid for by someone other than Hilly stephens campaign. So absent that financial support, it's hard to see how she is this competitive. Conversely, a candidate who did not have that I think net negative impromoter of being the apack establishment candidate might have fared better than Stevens did in a one on one race with Ebdel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was trying to, like doing a thought experiment because I think other Democrats who were more pro Israel have to contend with this at some point, which is what if Hayes Stevens had said, No, I don't want I don't want APAX endorsement. I don't want the outside spending. My views on Israel are what they are. I'm not going to change those use but I just don't think this outside money is worth it. We shouldn't have outside money in politics, and I don't want a packs endorsement because I disagree with you know, the net and Yahoo regime, whatever it may be. Whatever she could say without completely flip flopping, which is, you know, well.
Speaker 5: I think she could have. I mean, her best move would have been a completely flop flop or at least have a more nuanced position to put her on aid Israel with conditions. Perhaps that put her more in the mainstream of the current Democratic Party, but the cost of that would be thirty million dollars of APEC money. But she also got north of ten million dollars in spending by another super pack that was essentially I think a vessel for DSCC donors and people and the establisher in the Schumer world who wanted Hayley Stevens, similar to the spending that happened on Josh Chirk's behalf in Iowa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking about that because I listened to Sarah Longwell's focus group podcast with Jonathan Cone, who knows Michigan really well, and they talked to Michigan Democrats, and I was surprised by I mean, first of all, you know, it's always good to listen to voters, because the way they viewed this primary was so different than the national discourse and what you see online, like a lot of those Democrats like they liked both Stevens and Abdul and to the extent that there were negative things that about Haley Stevens. So many of these voters brought up a pack and outside spending and money in politics, and it's just, you know, it really broke through not only her ads that you know, Apak ran on her behalf, but the idea that she was a candidate that was taking all this outside money.
Speaker 5: And one of the polls that came out from I can't rememb which one it was that was not the Emerson poll, but one of the poles in the final stretch did a word cloud. Now this is obviously overly pro abdual polls, so take the with a grain of salt. Many rands assault, but they did a word cloud of things associated with La Stevens and APAC is like giant in the middle of that, and money and like money I think is the other very big word in that word cloud. So it definitely impacted her candidacy. It's just it's very it's just very hard to say how she could she have raised the money absent all is support from APAC enough to compete with Abdul, who's an excellent grassroots fundraiser. Could she have Was there a way in which Schumer at all could have funneled more money to her through a non APAC vehicle open question? But I think you generally, I cannot see based on these results, a twenty twenty eight candidate accepting, soliciting, accepting, or courting APAC to either endorse them or run ads on their behalf. And if you are a more pro Israel candidate in twenty twenty eight on the scale, you know, like on whatever the scale is for twenty twenty eight candidates and APAC starts running the United Democracy Project whatever it's called her one of their shadow pass were to be f you have to like to hold a press convers in front of APAC demanding they take it down.
Speaker 7: It'll hurt you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, that's that was my thought too. But wanting to see what you thought.
Speaker 8: Patz America is brought to you by article Article makes it effortless to build a home that lasts without the boutique markup. They're curated collections of mid century coastal and scandy furniture or designed to mix and match perfectly so you can create a cohesive, designer look that will stand the test of time. We got a bunch of great Article stuff at this office. It looks good.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 8: It all showed up really fast. It was more affordable. We got some really comfy couches and chairs and desks and just like a ton of great stuff that all work together, even though we bought them in many different times. Article offers fast, affordable shipping across the US and Canada, with options for professional assembly. If you prefer a hands off experience, have a question, or need help with your design choices, Articles Customer Care team is available seventies a week, offering knowledgeable support and even free interior design services to help you get your home just right. With articles thirty day satisfaction guarantee, you can shop with confidence knowing that if you're not completely in love with your new furniture, you can easily turn it. This peace of mind ensure as you can invest in your home without hesitation. Article is offering our listeners fifty dollars off your first purchase.
Speaker 3: Of one hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 8: To claim, visit article dot com, slash Crooked and the discount will be automatically applied at checkout. That's article dot com slash Crooked for fifty dollars off your first purchase of one hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 1: Podseve America is brought to you by Wild Alaskan Company. The difference between low and high quality seafood is enormous, but it's also one of those things that's tough to accurately assess for yourself in the grocery store. Wild Alaskan Company offers the best way to get wildcought, high quality seafood delivered to your door on your schedule. Each Wild Alaskan box comes with individually portioned filets, vacuum sealed, easy to prep and great for any meal, no matter how quick or elevated. All fish is quick frozen fresh from the Alaskan waters, which helps lock in its freshness, texture, flavor, and key nutrients like Omega threees. It's fish you can trust with no GMOs, antibiotics or other additives. Every order supports sustainable harvesting practices. An Alaskan fisherman whose history is tied to the region and practice. I had some while back. It's great. I love Wild Alaskan I really like their tuna. Yeah, it's really It tastes great. Wild Alaskan company is so confident that their fish is the best that they offer one hundred percent satisfaction and money back guarantee so you can try your first box risk free. Go to Wildelaskan dot com slash crookeet for thirty five dollars off your first order of premium wildcotseeafood. That's Wildelaskan dot com slash crookeet for thirty five dollars off your first order. Any of the thoughts in the primary race and results before we turn to the general. I mean there's been a lot of just this morning. You know, Abdul has a lot of work to do, and the whole Democratic Party does to sort of bridge the divides from this pretty bruising primary. I think they were off to a really good start. Hailey Stevens graciously conceded, had a nice post, and Mallory McMorrow he introduced Abdul, and Abdul was saying all the right things. So everyone seems to be saying all the right things this morning as of Wednesday morning, which is great. But how big of a challenge do you think it will be? For Abdul to unite the rest of the party.
Speaker 5: It does not appear like it's going to be a challenge to unite the political establishment nationally and in Michigan. Everyone seems to understand the urgency of the task. I've really, you know, I've been pretty critical of how Abdul has talked about his opponents in this race, especially when it appeared and he certainly believed he was winning. It was not always the most gracious, but he did the exact right thing here. I think his tone was right both last night when he went on and spoke to voters before we knew the results, and then this morning he responded to Hailey Stevens' tweet supporting Abdul in a very gracious way. Gretcha whit Murray immediately endorsed Abdul this morning. The Senate Majority Pack, which has been rooting pretty extensively I imagine as a Chuck Shuamer vehicle for Hailey Stevens to win, and had a video out this morning supporting Abdul. So I think that part is going exactly as planned. This is the conversation you've been to the general is it's just can the voters in the coalitions come together. I think the activists, even the people who have been the biggest people fighting against Abdul on Twitter, national democratic activist types. This morning we're like, Abdul's are nominee. Go support Abdul. Here's how you give to Abdul. I was an Alan mcmorro supporter throughout this race. I donated to Abdul this morning. Encourage everyone my newsletter to do. But I think people are doing the right thing here. But can you get the voters who just heard sixty millions dollars of arguments against Abdul to come and support him? And that is the general the challenge in the general election.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's get to the general. Earlier we heard a preview of Abdul's general election message against Mike Rogers. Here's the first ad from the Republican Senate Committee.
Speaker 9: Du Rman Mohammad al Sai, yet the most radical Senate candidate in America Elsa Yeah, pledged support for the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, a designated foreign terrorist group. He wants to hike taxes on Michigan waitresses, delivery drivers, and seniors, on social security, going to sex offender, and a murderer to demand the mass release of dangerous prisoners, and when his ally claimed America deserved nine eleven, America refused to disavow.
Speaker 7: I'm not here to disavow. Too radical, too dangerous, wrong for Michigan.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the general.
Speaker 7: Thoughts.
Speaker 5: I was kicking the teeth this morning. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like that they combined.
Speaker 1: I liked I really liked the mix of dangerous, scary Muslim extremist with an hill raised taxes.
Speaker 5: It's not as dumb as it sounds.
Speaker 1: No, I know, but it's just like it's it's known as dumb as it sounds. And I will say Democrats do the exact same thing. But it is the the consultant polster ad maker brain, which is like, this is test unpopular, this test unpopular. Let's jam them together. It doesn't matter if they're jammed together in a in a pilling way or not.
Speaker 5: I think this is we can I don't know if you want to talk about Abdul's argument about Mike Rogers first and then get to this, but sure, I think this ad is better than a lot of people online think, and I think the combining of it actually makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Why do you think that.
Speaker 5: Because when you say that someone wants to like raise taxes on seniors, that is a very hard thing for anyone to imagine. So you have to prove that they are so radical that they'd be willing to do that. And by all the other stuff leads to the idea that he is someone so radical that he would do that. And so I do think they like this is the argument, is this incredible radical that he will do these other things that affect you Because a f person who cares about affordability, if they believe if twenty twenty, for example, if they believe that Abdul I mean, they're good, they're gonna discount a lot of this stuf because the political lub. But they think that he's a little too extreme, maybe says some things in the past, but they think he's actually going to lower his cost Donald Trump's election proves people will tolerate a lot for someone who will lower their costs. You have to make them believe that he will not lower your costs, and the way to do that is to make them seem so radical he's going to do that. It's not the best version of that yet, but I understand the argument.
Speaker 3: I think you got to pick one.
Speaker 1: I think if you are like if I was going to try to persuade people that he was going to he's too extreme and he's so extreme that he would raise seniors taxes, you would say, he wants to spend this amount of here are all his plans, he wants to spend this amount of money, he needs this much taxes.
Speaker 3: He loves government controlled healthcare.
Speaker 1: Like I would go all like, if he's going to be a socialist who's going to raise your taxes, you got to make him left on that, which I'm sure that that will be coming, and then they'll of course have another track that is the scary Muslim uh extremist.
Speaker 5: I guess the way with thinking about this ad is it is a preview of and a signal two donors of what the larger argument will be. This will, all over the course a campaign manifest itself in some ads that are only about Hassan Piker and things he has said in the past, darkening his skin, using his full name, and there will be ads about affordability. My argument would just be is those things are more connected than I think a lot of Democrats naturally assume we are our ad making is very siloed, and there is an economic argument and there's a radical argument, and I think in voters' minds, you were softening the ground for the economic argument by showing someone to be extreme, and the candidate who is viewed as more as less extreme tends to win elections in these last few elections, and Donald Trump being seen as less extreme than Kamala Harris was a real warning side that he was going to win that race.
Speaker 1: Well, so then let's talk about Abdullah versus Mike Rodgers, because I do not think personally he's going to be able to make voters believe that Mike Rogers is extreme. But it sounded like from his opening message there and what he's been saying about Mike Rogers, that he is going to try to convince voters that it's not about who's the more extreme candidate, but who's fighting for you and who's corrupt, and that he's going to make Mike Rogers the more corrupt candidate.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think his argument there too was also his let's just unload the full clip and see what sticks, because there is a there's a combination of he's corrupt, there's a combination of he's pro data center. There's a combination that he is pro corporation, and then there is he is a bootlecker for Trump. I think all of those individually are good arguments, and I think that they can go together. Yeah, we can discuss the whether that's the well he's doing that in the right way or not. But you know, I think, look, this is a state that is a fifty to fifty state in twenty twenty four. It's a plus six and a half to eight point democratic state this time around, depending on exactly how the the generic ballot looks, and Donald Trump's people rating is under forty and some poles in Michigan. So it's like, sometimes we overcomplicate the fucking simple around here. A vote for Mike Rodgers, to vote for Donald Trump and Donald Trump to control the Senate, you know, is the and underneath that is a vote for higher costs for you, a vote for more powerful corporations, vote for tax cuts for billionaires, all of that as part of it. But that I don't think convincing people that Mike Rogers himself is corrupt is going to be the argument this is necessarily going to play.
Speaker 1: I think this is what he's contending with and this is a Mike Rodgers specific problem. Is Mike Rodgers has been representing Michigan for a long time, or he's been in Michigan politics for a long time. I think that a lot of voters, to the extent that they know who Mike Rodgers is, probably remember him as a more moderate Republican for who might who. There's plenty of clips of him speaking out against Donald Trump, and I think Abdul has to make people realize before he just says that Mike Rodgers is going to be a vote for Donald Trump, that Mike Rodgers has changed, because otherwise I don't think you can go right to Mike Rodgers, like I know everyone wants to do. And we talked about this in the main Senate race too. Everyone wants to just do like nationalize the race, make it about the Senate, make it about control of the Senate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree with that to an extent, except when you have candidates like the Susan Collins, like Mike Rodgers, who the voters in that state know and think of as more moderate and more willing to buck Trump than your typical Republican. And I think in those instances you've got to do some work on their character to persuade people that something has changed about them. That they have either like they've been there too long, they've become corrupt, they only care about themselves and their money. They're now willing to do whatever Trump says just so they can keep their jobs and keep their money and all that kind of stuff. Like you still have to have Trump be part of it, but you have to do some work on the person's character.
Speaker 5: This Mic writers things interesting because I have, as I have been arguing for a long time that this is a very hard race because Mike Rodgers is not a maga in the eyes of voters, right, a maga buffoon like a doctor Oz or herschel Walker or some of these other the candidates the Democrats benefitm in twenty twenty two. There's also no evidence that he is Susan Collins. He underperformed Trump in twenty twenty two. I'm sorry, he underperformed Trump in twenty twenty four, twenty four, and I think that is just he did not if he were a candidate who was seen as you know more. I think, let me put it this way. We all know the people in Mike Rodgers district know Mike Rodgers. He was there for eighteen years.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 5: We know Mike Rodgers because we watched CNN in the twenty tens and he was always on and he was a very prominent Trump's skeptical voice in the twenty sixteen world. I don't know. It's unclear to me how many Michigan voters know that you absolutely have to do work on his character for sure, to make to make people understand why the attacks work. But Susan Collins is a very unique proposition in a way in which Mike Rogers is more like running against a NEU a Republican.
Speaker 3: I guess also it's.
Speaker 1: Tying Mike Rodgers to Donald Trump in the same story, which is, if we were to talk about Donald Trump right now, we'd say, you know, in his second term, he's fucking out to lunch, corrupt, only cares about himself. It's a smashing grab. He's made everything more expensive while he got rich. And you know they've in the primary. The Michigan Democratic Party has a website like price hike mike dot com, and they have some great Mike Rogers quotes in there. He talks about coffee prices. He goes, oh, my gosh, coffee went up, you know, horror like being sarcastic. And on tariffs, he said, well, the shoe's gonna pinch every once in a while. On gas, he said, we're gonna be fine. We got plenty of oil on a fifty dollars annual physical. He said, that's probably okay, right, and then he said, he said, anyone if voters who blamed Trump for high prices are nuts, like, those are the kind of I think those are the kind of quotes that both link what you're talking about, which is like, he's just like Trump, but also the guy's way out of time and he moved to floor and has no idea what people in Michigan are going through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 8: Pat America is brought to you by AG one. Summer means enjoying yourself and taking it easy. Maybe some of your wellness goals took a back seat in the process, but that's okay now.
Speaker 5: That you're getting back on track.
Speaker 3: Make AG one.
Speaker 8: The non negotiable part of your routine. One scoop eight ounces the cold water every morning before the chaos starts. AG one helps to maintain energy and fortify immune health. It's clinically shown to support gut health and fill in common nutrient gaps. AG one is a daily health drink with the multivitamin pre and probiotics, superfoods, and antioxidants. Even though summer is your license to chill, ag one helps one thing, consistent high quality nutritional support every single day, no matter where you start your morning. The next gen formula delivers seventy five plus ingredients clinically shown to improve key nutrient levels within three months.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 8: I use AG one every day, use it today. In fact, I often make it smoothie in the morning and that's my breakfast. But even when I don't, you just mix it in water still tastes good and I don't know. I highly recommend it. I like it. It's a great way to get a bunch of greens in your body early, without you know, having to go to the supermarket every other day to buy spinach or whatever. Visit drinkag one dot com slash Crooked and get a free AG one flavor sampler and a free bottle of Vitamin D three plus K two and your welcome kit with your first ag one subscription order. That's drinkag one dot com slash Crooked.
Speaker 1: Poseve America is brought you by sleep Me. When was the last time you went to bed before midnight without scrolling doom? Scrolling the latest news cycle keeps your brain buzzing, and worse, it raises your core body temperature. Just want one more thing that's bad about it. A body that's too warm can't fall into a deep, restorative sleep. You're not just mentally exhausted, your body never actually recovered from the day. The fix is simple, lower your bed temperature. Entered Chilipad two point zero, the water based mattress topper that actively controls your bed temperature from fifty five to one hundred and fifteen degrees all night long.
Speaker 3: No new mattress, no renovation. It fits over what you already have.
Speaker 1: Chili Pad two point oho actively cools or warms your bed using water, and water.
Speaker 3: Is key here.
Speaker 1: Chili Pad uses actively chilled water to cool the bed, actually pulling heat away from your body. It's like the difference between standing in front of a fan and jumping into a cold pool.
Speaker 3: Love Chilipad.
Speaker 1: It really works, and it's so nice to have a bed that is like cool and doesn't heat up in the middle of the night, especially if, like you know, you're fighting with your partner over the temperature in the room and they want it a little warmer. You have the chili pad on and you can make your side of the bed pretty cool. It's fantastic. Does it sleep dot me slash crooked to get up to two hundred and fifty five dollars off your chili pad two point oh with code crooked. That's s l E E P dot M E slash crooked, free shipping, free returns, and a thirty night trial so you can test it out, dream big, and wake up better. The headlines will still be there in the morning. You might as well wake up ready for them. So anything else that a build needs to think about ahead of the general much had I know you wrote a message box on this.
Speaker 5: Though I did seventeen hundred words on no Sleep.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 5: Abdul's win is incredibly impressive when you put in the context everything he was up against, But it is when you look at the coalition that he won with. It is a coalition that does not vode great for the general election. He overperformed with youth, he overperformed with college educated voters. He underperformed in rural areas. He underperformed most rule areas on all of them, but he underperformed with working class voters, and he really got his clock clean with black voters and the electorate. You can survive in a primary like that because in Michigan, because it's almost fifty to fifty college educated and non college educated voters in a typical primary like we don't have a lot of data on it, but I went back and looked at the twenty twenty primary between Biden and Bernie because they had exempulse from that, and it was fifty three non college forty seven college educated in primary, and probably in a midterm it's closer to fifty to fifty or or a majority college educated in a general election. If you look at twenty twenty four exit poll data, it's more than sixty percent non college educated. It is significantly older. The number of percentage of voters over sixty five, I think, goes up nine points. And so all the voters that Abdul struggled most with are disproportionately a larger portion in the electorate in twenty twenty in the in the general election, and I think we you know he once again this is another progressive candidate running on a working class agenda who did not win working class voters, and you can't. There's no other way to win Michigan, right, So I think, like I wrote a bunch of things for Abdul to do. I'll just give you a couple of them here. The first one was unify and sort of a you know, win with grace, and he has done that thus far. That think that's going in the right direction. The second thing was he had to really think about how to not just do better with black voters, but to make increase turnout with black voters for him, you know. And you can argue that millions and millions of dollars of ads that mislegally suggested that Barack Obama had Endorsedhilly Stevens contributed to this, and I'm sure it did. But also, historically, candidates with Abdul's profile of sort of this progressive candidate do poorly with black voters, and so he's got work to do there. I hope he calls Barack Obama today, yeah, and starts to think about how he could be helpful and and other Michigan Democrats, others who can help him in that community. He can be validates in that community. He's got to be. I think the lesson here is he needs to think really hard about how to make himself more broadly appealing. I think his campaign was I found so much of it inspiring and exciting and like from a communications the messing in perspective, it was really full in a lot of ways. But I really there the vibes you got was a really like my way or the highway. You're with us, who you're against us? But and he now has to go out and persuade a lot of people, some of them have voted for Haley Stevens, some of them who are just middle of the road independent voters who have not thought about politics once since twenty twenty four to support him. Many of those people are going to disagree with him on Medicare for all, on some of the things he's said in the past. They're going to disagree with him on Israel. There's real work to do with Jewish Democrats in Michigan. And you have to you have to be willing to seem like you are open to listening, opening to understanding, opening to a greedy disagree and open a compromise. Yeah, and you and if you look at the way that his primary his primary campaign was entirely centered around and this was a effective strategy because he won maximizing his base rallies with Bernie. Many of the final ads had AOC in them. She's a very very popular Democrat and they worked. But he did very little to try to show himself to be different than the caricature of himself as this like sort of prototypical leftist candidate. You didn't see he was either unable to get or did not seek out endorsements. They would be counterintuitive a moderate Democrat who endorsed them, a business leader who would endorse him, a former Republican or something like that, or putting the like he talks all the time. And I know this happens of these triple Trump voters who are gonna who supported a duel in this primary because Michigan's open primary. Why aren't those people in ads?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, You're gonna have to do some things that have a much more broadly appealing There's more that reaches that you have to actively reach out to people to not agree with you. And the last thing is like you really we really have to think hard about you know, he had a very economically centered message, money in your pockets. What is it that did not work with that with working class and Democrats, let alone working class independence or working class solution Trump voters? Is it that it wasn't specific enough? Is it that people because of the way the race played out, people thought that wasn't his top priority, and maybe it was they thought his top priority was money in the politics or eight to Israel.
Speaker 1: I think this this whole conversation about working class voters in the Democratic primary has sort of like gotten out of hand because like this we taught we did this with the Platinir thing in Maine as well, like just a few like Democrats have been doing poorly with working class voters for a long time, as you know. And that is true of moderate Democratic candidates, it's true of liberal Democratic candidates, it's true progressive Democratic candidates, like we have been losing working class voters to the Republicans under Donald Trump especially that is he has accelerated it. And it used to be just white voters, and now under Trump it was Latino voters and some black men as well.
Speaker 3: Right, So it is a party wide problem.
Speaker 1: The left says, if you just like you know, press the economically populist button hard enough. They soundly, you're going to win over the working class voters. That has not There's there's not a lot of evidence that that is true. The establishment and center left democrats are like, well, the left can't do this, and they're not. They say that they're economically populous, but they can't get the working class voters. But it's like, you know what, the establishment candidates aren't really doing that much. There's not a lot of evidence that the establishment candidates are doing that much better with the working class voters that you would actually need to win in a close state. Yes, in a primary, Hailey Stevens coalition is going to look more working class than a duels, But like the in a general election, it's not like there is any Democrat you can point to in the last fifteen fucking years who's really made in roads to the to the working class in a way that would that would solve this problem. Which leads me to believe, which is one thing you could take from this is it is not just about talking up affordability or the right affordability message or the right economic message, Like there are cultural social concerns that the working class have which is why they have moved away from the Democratic Party. That I think we all have to contend with here because it's like, why is Jared Golden winning them in Maine two? And is like as moderate as they come on a host of issues, but it is not some like economically populist hero I he we.
Speaker 5: Don't have to get into the Golden neck because and gee, I agree with your I agree with your point here. I think if you were trying to win this race and you just lost in working class voters in a Democratic primary and the core of your message was pro working class, is worth taking a step back and trying to figure out what you need to do to at least perform better than Kamala Harris did with those voters in Michigan so you can win.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess one way to think about it is we went through this in O eight, right, Like we were in a primary with Hillary that lasted forty five years, and every single state she won working class voters and we did not.
Speaker 5: And the reason she went working class with white voters. That's one giant difference here is the reason why Obama wins and Bernie and Bill Bradley and all these other Reuss can't lose. It's because Obama could win college educated voters and black voters at high numbers.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: The rest of these voters are not doing that.
Speaker 1: But what we heard incessantly is broak around has been talking about the working class. It's policies are geared for the working class, but it's just not working. It's just not working. Why isn't it working? And then you know he was he still maintained that message through the general and one. Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton was like the hero of working class voters in two thousand and eight, and then she runs for president again in twenty sixteen and gets her clock clean with working class voters.
Speaker 5: Well, like, these things are always suffer from small sample sizes. But the example for Abdul is Obama, which is we worked really hard to get those voters, and we did it in a lot of ways that were counter to what a tip of a typical progressive democrat would do based on the playbook. We spent a lot of time talking about the deficit and making sure people's taxpayer money was spent. Now we're gonna have the guy from Dave. He was going to go through the budget line by line, where you know Obama was very spent a lot of time reaching out to voters who disagreed with him on abortion.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm getting at, That's what I was getting at, Bay Yes.
Speaker 5: And I think there's a way in which Israel plays into this was I'll get to in a sec and there. Look, you cannot be just. I don't not want to overlook the fact then, both in Obama's case in Abdull's case, race plays a role here of course, right the fact that he is that Obama is a black man and Abdul is a Muslim American certainly plays a role. And that then puts a higher burden on you in the general election, because life is not fucking fair to do some things that show because of the ad we just saw that show that you can relate to these voters culturally, that you're different than the caricature, and you're going to have to find some ways that are to use the favorite term of some of our moderate friends, that is heterodox or counterintuitive. And the reason I want to bring Israel up here because some people will argue that he needs to moderate on Israel and aid to Israel in particular to win, and he has done this and if you actually really listen to what Abdul says, and when he gets asked questions, he is very good at talking about about reaching out to Jewish Americans who disagree with him. Right, So, but he has work to do there, obviously, you know. And all the money spent against him does not, you know, is why he has a little bit of this deficit, and some of his supporters, his most promised supporters, a why has a bit of this dep sit But independent voters in Michigan nationally agree with Abdul on aids Israel. Independents are basically some very similar Democrats on this issue.
Speaker 7: The issue that was.
Speaker 5: Once you moved to the general election, and once you move downscale economically, the salience of the issue goes down. And so I can imagine that if you're a working class voter and you have just paid attention to this race and you hear what Abdul's talking about, do you hear what's breat Not just what he says. You should not listen to his full speech, but what's breaking through in media coverage or social media conversation even in some mail pieces is a pack in Israel and that that and that these voters who agree with them duel but think it is let but care much, but affordability is a much higher topic for them, can believe that in his mind is priority wise, that aid to Israel in that basket of issues is higher on his list and affordability, and that hurts you with voters. And it's one of the things reasons Democrats have suffered with these voters is you know, you saw this in the Deciding to Win report that Simon Basilon did last year or whenever that was because time was no meaning, And what voters think Democrats' top priorities are is often not the economy, even when it actually is.
Speaker 1: I think there's a pretty easy way to square this circle. And I could see him moving towards this dual towards this day, which is just people are tired of their money going over seas to be spent on stupid wars, like like Israel's part of this, but like we're at war with the run right now. That is a fucking disaster that Donald Trump is responsible for and Mike Rogers is supporting. And Mike Rogers just told Semaphore the other day, Oh, when I go around, no one talks about Iran and the war blah blah blah. But by linking affordability concerns to meanwhile, you've got Republicans and if you put Mike Rodgers in the Senate, they're just going to keep sending all your money overseas to fight stupid wars and to like, you know, when it should be here in Michigan helping you afford things.
Speaker 3: Like I think that's a good message.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first, that was one I want. I meant to bring that brother, is that that pivot was notable in his remarks. And it's gonna be interesting when you get asked how it feels about at Ukraine in this situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that is true.
Speaker 1: Well we're not providing much anymore, so there's unfortunately there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, that is well.
Speaker 1: And he's also been because I saw him on a MS now and someone was like, well, you talk about Israel all the time, Well do you not like do you not like Egypt or other Ethno nationalist governments.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, no, I don't. I would not give aid to them either.
Speaker 5: He basically said, okay, yeah, he doesn't believe in unconditional aid to any country, right, which is a very good and wise and I imagined quite popular position.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, Okay, we should just talk about Michigan Senate was not the only a notable primary last night before we go. In Michigan's seventh House district, which is a top target for Dems to flip, the lefty candidate Will Lawrence, who's the Sunrise Movement co founder, beat two more moderate Democrats who split the vote. In Michigan's thirteenth House district, DSA candidate Donovan McKinney has defeated incumbent Democrat Shreithanadar by three points. In Kansas, the more progressive state Senator Cindy Holscher beat Democratic Governor Laura Kelly's pick to succeed her state Senator Ethan Corson. But over in Missouri, incumbent House Democrat Wesley Bell crushed Corey Bush, who was trying to win her old seatback, by fifty nine to thirty seven. We got a moderate Senate Democratic candidate in Kansas, Adam Hamilton, who's primary victory there moves the race from solid R to likely R. And elsewhere in Washington, Andy, I know it's something. And elsewhere in Washington and Virginia, incumbent moderate established Democrats all won their races, despite some of them facing challenges from the left. Anything else I missed and any any takes on the rest of the primaries from last night.
Speaker 5: No, I mean this continues a trend we've seen with a handful of exceptions here and there of progressive anti establishment candidates winning in races. It's you can overstate these things. Lawrence won a three way race, so it would be interesting what would happen if he had had one on one with either of the two moderates. Maybe he still would have won then too, But the anti Lawrence vote was much larger than Lawrence vote in the shreithon Adar race. He is a particularly unpopular Democrat, but still impressive because incombans don't get knocked off that much. Then you have the Wesley Bell Corey Bush one, which is the example of this. He would was very was supported heavily by apak Leslie Bell was the APAX supported his victory against Corey Bush last time. There's a lot of baggage from why Corey Bush lost the first time, scandal stuff there that affected it. And I think Bell apparently, I guess in the eyes of his consision has been an effective legislator in this time. But if you want to like what happened last night is I think consistent with the theme we've seen all primary season, which is in races with the right candidates in the right situations, progressive anti establishment candidates have the advantage in the primary against the more traditional candidate you would expect to win.
Speaker 1: I do think your point about Michigan seventh where if there had only been one candidate pacing Willia Lawrence instead of two, they very well he will very well could have lost. And I think for you know, moderate Democrats who are worried about this or worried about you know, this sort of this progressive wave, like if you don't want a DSA candidate to win, like figure out one candidate.
Speaker 3: To take on that person.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is this is really hard because you know, I look at that and I'm like, well, most people people could be wrong, but the general believe this is Michigan sevens isstions that Trump won by one point. It's Alyssa slock Intol district. Democrats should win it this time around. Most of the people whose job it is to try to win the House believe pretty strongly that either Bridget Brank or Matt Masden would be favorites in that race. This it is a toss up at best with Lawrence. Whether that's corrector fair, I don't know. But so in one sense, you're like, well, why can't these people in Washington figure this shit out and get one person on the race. So to say, we're like, hey, d SEC, stop endorsing in these primaries. Uh, you know, why are you endorsing Haley Stevens and Janet Mills and all these other people and just let the voters decide. But I think there are some lessons here, like if the not the people Washington, but if the folks who really are focused on electing more moderates or more electable or more heteroics Democrats, whatever you else you want, do have to get their shit together. And I think what happened in Michigan seven and what happened in Michigan Senate where most there was a strong argument that Abdul was less electable than Haley Stevens. That's sort of a moot point right now, but is that there aren't a lot of people in the Democratic Party with the authority in the experience and the trust to tell Democratic primary voters how to think, or even to tell candidates which one of them should get out, and you end up in situations like these where the candidate who in a normal election year might not have won, will win this year because the establishment doesn't have the credibility to tell voters they're not If they can say who's more electable, the votes an't gonna believe.
Speaker 1: Them, Like, this is a conversation we'll be having for like the next year two years, so we don't have to do it all now.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it's less like I don't.
Speaker 1: I think the ability of some democratic establishment to like move pieces on a chess board to get the right people that they want in races is like not the best strategy, But I do think it argues for compelling candidates who break out from the crowd, who are also not like like, they don't have to be DSA candidates, but they can at least have like there's plenty of I think mainstream Democrats and tough races who I would say the left is probably fine with. John Ostoff is an example, right, Like John Ostoff has taken some votes that are you know, pretty moderate votes or things that left lefties might be upset about, but like people are generally fine with him because he is a compelling candidate. And now we're look, you know, you look in Wisconsin right now, it's gone on right like in the governor's race, and they had a lieutenant governor who had to drop out because of scandal. Mendelo Barnes also drops out, partially because of scandal, partly because he didn't break through. We got David Crowley, who you're going to be talking to on Thursday show, who last minute got Ever's endorsement, and now they're trying. It's just like you got to have You got to run candidates who can really break through and at least say, have a message and have an agenda that people who would normally vote for some of these DSA progressive candidates would still find appealing.
Speaker 5: The model here in the example is Josh Turk, who was a more moderate candidate believed to be more electable, was supported by Schumer World and benef did benefit from ten million dollars in superback spending for that, but was able to in all the other you know, Schumer's endorsement three racist his candidate has lost or dropped out in two of the three Turks. The exception Turk is a very compelling candidate who, even though he had establishment support, does not read like an establishment candidate. Yeah, and now, obviously he is a very unique bio, very unique profile. But the way for moderates to win is to find candidates who do not appear to be just like establishment toties.
Speaker 1: Right the huved and Diego in Arizona in twenty twenty four, this is another example of that.
Speaker 3: Right, So it was a luck and honestly, so yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Different profile, but you know, but we're also in a different world now where everyone is going to almost everyone is going to face a primary. And if you think there are a lot of primaries in twenty twenty six, oh wait til twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, when we come back, I talk to Senator Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 10: Hey, Dan Taburski Here, I'm a podcast host, a journalist, and now with my newest project, the author of my own manifesto. Well, it's a manifesto about manifestos, my search for inspiration and a world that feels more infuriating, more out of its freaking mind with each passing hour. Manifestos are a call to action an artful scream. They capture our anger and they try to do something with it. This is my attempt to take the Manifesto back from mass shooters and nihilists, then return it to its rightful place with the warriors, the vision, the regular folks with just the right amount of crazy. I compare notes with radicals, secessionists, Internet rolls out for a laugh, and punk singers screaming their guts out, all trying to turn their anger into the world they want to see. Listen to Manifesto wherever you get your podcasts. Audible subscribers can binge all episodes of Manifesto early and ad free right now. Join Audible in the Audible app or by subscribing on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Senator Sanders, Welcome back to pid Fave America.
Speaker 7: Great to be with you.
Speaker 1: I saw that you described Abdul's primary win as the most extraordinary victory you can think of in modern American politics.
Speaker 3: What makes you think that?
Speaker 7: I'll tell you why, and you tell me what do you think? Here is a guy who took on the entire democratic establishment in Michigan, okay, took on the entire national democratic establishment, okay, and then took on seventy million dollars of super pac and outside funding, about thirty million of it coming from APAC. Now, help me out here, you know something about these things. Have you ever heard of a candidate in a major race getting outspent nine to one, taken on the entire establishment and winning.
Speaker 1: Not in a primary like that. Now he's going to win the general though. That's then then it would really be Then it would really be extraordinary.
Speaker 7: All right, but all on, I'm saying you asked me, I cannot recall somebody having done that. So it was an extraordinary victory. And in addition, in Michigan last night we won two congressional races. As you know, Donovan McKinney beat an incumbent in Detroit, will be the next congressman. Will Lawrence won and Lansing a strong victory. I think he stands a good chance to win in November as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it ended up being a really close race of dual, won by a but a point. What does the close finish tell you about where Democratic voters are right now? Especially you know the seven hundred and twenty thousand or so who voted for Hailey Stevens.
Speaker 7: Well John I would it certainly was the close story. So I was up to three o'clock or four o'clock in the morning, so if I fall asleep, they'll take it first. But you have to understand that seventy million dollars was spent against this guy. So I want to rephrase the question and say, if it was a fair fight financially and there was no spending difference, how many points would he won by? Ten twenty points? Maybe I don't know, but all in all, I think it was an extraordinary victory. I think the message right now, and I think Haley Stevens was very gracious in a concession speech, and she was exactly right. We understand that we have the most dangerous president in the modern history, not in the modern in the history of the United States, and we have got to elect Democrats, a democratic control of the Senate and the House, and we've all got I work together to make that happen. And I think I would suspect that the overwhelming majority of the people who voted for Helly Stevens understand that.
Speaker 1: So looking at the map, Abdul dominated in college towns, highly educated areas. He didn't do as well in sort of the working class city and blue collar suburbs. And this has been a pattern with more progressive candidates and Democratic primaries, with I think your presidential races being the notable exception that I can think of.
Speaker 3: Why do you think more.
Speaker 1: Economically populoist candidates aren't doing as well with working class voters than more moderate establishment candidates.
Speaker 7: I think, And again, let's remember that what last night was a pattern is consistent with what we have seen all over this country, by the way, in the last year, from Mombani's victory in New York City, the maylots Kiros's victory and Color and a lot in between. Progressives are winning, John, and we're winning for a lot of reasons. We're often winning, as was the case last night with a huge turnout. I think, correct me if I'm wrong. That was a record breaking turnout Michigan democratic process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 7: That didn't happened by accident. It happened because, among other things, Abdul was able to bring out a lot of young people who previously did not get involved in the political process, and a lot of people are kind of given up on politics. But I have absolute confidence that Abdul's message of economic justice of demanding the billionaires pay their fair share of taxes. And I'll tell you something else. This guy's a doctor and I desperately need him in the US Senate to help me and others move toward a Medicare for all single payer program. I think it's going to resonate all over Michigan, whether you are Democrat, Republican, or independent.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's harder to reach working class voters with that message? Do you think that they just they you know, people are busy and they're not paying his close attention to politics, Like what do you?
Speaker 3: What do you? How do you think about that?
Speaker 7: And you got, you know, you got the internet phenomenon and algorithms where people see what they want to see and what they have seen yesterday. So it's hard to break through that. But what has excited me about Abdulla's campaign, and again Manani did it in New York, others have done it, is he has he put thousands and thousands of people out on the street. And one of the differences drawn between our campaigns and establishment democratic campaigns. They always have more money than we do. They hire great consultants, they do with thirty second ads. We put people out on the street knocking on doors, and I think in Abdul's case in Michigan, we're going to have to have thousands and thousands of people knocking on doors explaining to Republicans do you really think it's a good idea? Do you have tax breaks the billionaires and back on healthcare and education, et cetera, et cetera. So it's an enormous amount of work to be done. It's going to be done in a grassroots way. I think we win.
Speaker 1: So as you look to the fall, what is you know, if Duel is probably going to face even more money than he did in the primary, it's obviously a tougher electorate. What's one thing he has to do and he his campaign has to do that they haven't done yet.
Speaker 7: I think we still have more work to be done within the African American community, maybe the women's community. But there are great leaders in the state of Michigan and all over this country who I think will help us make that happen.
Speaker 1: So you you've endorsed a lot of progressive candidates like Abdul the cycle, you mentioned a few others who won last night. There are also a lot of progressive candidates DSA candidates running who you haven't endorsed. How do you decide which progressive candidates get your endorsement and which don't.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, we're not, you know, some kind of huge machine here, so we have to be kind of have to pick and choose. One of the things that people don't know is that we have also endorsed dozens and dozens and dozens what we call down ballot candidates. People are running for school board, city council, state legislature, mayor in small towns. And that, in a sense becomes, if you like the Farm Club, the future leaders of America, some great people in legislature right now that we've helped get elect and we have trained. By the way, we have programs that say, hey, you want to run for office, this is how you send that a press release, this is how you do social media, et cetera, et cetera. But we have, you know, limited limited resources. So what we do is, hey, what do you stand for? What do you stand for? If you are a moderate liberal type Democrat, that's great, there are other people who support you, that's not us. Do you support medicare for which is moral less for us? I think if you would ask me if there's one litmus tests, probably Medicare for all would be it? Or do you support a tax on billionaires? Are you prepared to take on the oligous? What is your view about the extremist government in Israel? So you need that information, but that's not enough. Then you have to say, look you can I have seen this, I've experienced this. People have really they're really smart. They have great answers to everything. They can't run a campaign, you know, it's not easy putting together a campaign. And Abdul did it, by the way, not everybody can do it. So you got to say, all right, what's the nature of your campaign. How many volunteers do you have? Well, we don't have any. You're raising any money? No, we're not. Okay, Well it's nice, have a nice day. You're a great guy, but we're not going to support you. So those are some of the things that we look at.
Speaker 1: I noticed them. You haven't yet endorsed in the Wisconsin governor's race. What's your thinking there? And might you endorse sir?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. I met Francesca a couple of years ago I was in Wisconsin, and seems very very nice, But again, this is a race I just am not that familiar with. We have not gotten involved in many governor's races. I think we did one in Maine with Troy Jackson. You know, obviously, my major concern right now is seeing that we have a Senate and a House that is going to stand up to Trump. That's really where my focus is. So as of now, we have not been involved in that race.
Speaker 1: So your brand of progressive politics has always been focused on the material needs of working class people, and I would say that to the extent that you've broken from Democratic Party policy, it's usually around economic issues, healthcare, etc. There are some DSA candidates today, you know, including some who've won their primaries this cycle, who've also talked about abolishing prisons, defunding or even abolishing the police, abolishing borders. You've never been for any of that. Are you worried that taking those positions, which are unpopular with most voters and even most Democrats, sort of hurt the movement that you've worked really hard to build.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, look, people have different views and what you know as well as I do that the right wing that's their job, right, they will take what one person said and put you know, eighty billion dollars of TV ads on it and make it claim every Democrats supports that. I'm no serious person that I know who is running for office believes in quote unquote defunding the police. I was a mayor for eight years. I work very closely with cops. They have a very difficult job. Do we need police reform? Do we need to get rid of racism within police departments? Absolutely? Are their jobs that other people can be doing in terms of mental health, drug addiction and outfalls on a cops shoulders. Yeah, I think we should look at that. But nobody I know, you know, believes in defunding the police. In terms of doing away with prisons. I hope the day comes. I hope the day comes when we don't leave the world and the number of people who are incos story that speaks very poorly of Alice society. But does that mean that there should not be dangerous people who should be behind bars? Of course, everybody agrees. Without open waters, no, we all, most of us believe and comprehensive immigration reform not opening up all the waters. But a lot of this stuff, as you well know, is what the right wing plays on and multiplies on Fox, you know, ten times a day and through their heads. But most of the serious candidates that I know and support do not support those things. You have.
Speaker 1: You've made a really compelling case that the party Democratic Party can't just be anti Trump, that we have to be for something. On the other hand, you never want to promise voters things that you can't actually get done. And I think about this just in terms of the next two years in this cycle, right, So a bunch of Democrats, when say everything goes well and we take Congress, Trump's still president for two years, what do you think Democratic candidates running today can realistically promise voters in terms of a Democratic Congress the ex.
Speaker 7: John, I would look at that's a good question that you've raised. I would look at it a little bit differently. I would not start off by saying Donald Trump is president. You know, he probably veto any serious and good piece of legislature, therefore we can't bring it up. That's not the way I look at it, all right. I look at it from the position of and let me be very clear, you may agree with me, you may not. I think the system is horrifically broken in many ways. We're on a titanic right now every place you look, whether it's healthcare, whether it's transportation, whether it's education, whether it's a corrupt campaign finance system, whether it is oligochy and massive income and wealth inequality, whether it is climate change. I mean, I can go on and on. It's scary stuff. I mean, we'll live it in really crazy times. And then on top of that, you've got Donald Trump as president, who does everything you know, does the wrong things every every single day. Well, I think the first thing you do, Johanna, what my politics is about is to be honest with people. Is that don't stop. What can you do? What are the problems facing? Are you all right? You're worried that your kids can't afford to go to college. With the richest country on earth, what should we do? The God determined that public education ends the twelfth grade? Can we make public colleges and university stuition free? Do you think that zero four is important for a kid's development? Of course you do. Should we have universal and free childcare so that all families can enjoy? Yeah? You can, Oh, Bernie, that's a great idea. How are you going to pay for it? Well? Okay, that's another issue. Maybe we demand that large corporations and the wealthiest people stop paying their fair share of taxes. Maybe we don't spend one point one trillion on the military. But this is what I believe, John, and it really is at the heart of my politics. You've got to deal with where people are at. They are hurting, they are giving up on democracy in many cases because we don't see government do anything for them. So what my strategy would be to answer your question is, if I had the power, and I have some power, I will say to with them becauts. You gain control of the House, you gain control of the Senate, tell you what you're going to do in the first two three four months. You're going to pass Medicare for all, and if mister Trump wants to veto it, let them. And we're going to explain to the American people why he veted it. And we're going to lower up prescription drug costs to the price that other countries around the world are paying. He's going to veto that. Fine, We're going to raise the minimum wage, We're going to raise taxes on billionaires. Let mister Trump say no. And when he says though, we have transformed politics because the next time round will win a landslide victory. That's my view of.
Speaker 3: Politics looking ahead to twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've been so outspoken on AI, and it's clearly going to be a huge issue, not just in this election, but again in twenty twenty eight when we actually have a presidential race. What do you hope to hear from Democratic candidates in the Democratic Party in terms of how we handle artificial intelligence?
Speaker 7: John, They are easy answers and they're hard ones. And I got to tell you, of all of the issues out there, this one. You know, how you know why you can't sleep at night? This is one of them. Now, maybe I'm crazy and it may well be. Look I yeah, First of all, we started with the assumption is nobody knows what's going to happen, right right? You don't, I don't, nobody does. Elon Musk doesn't know. Nobody knows. Here's my nightmare. This is what I worry about. You're looking what I think we can agree on as the most transformational technology in the history of humanity. Okay, it's going to make the Industrial Revolution seem like a piece of cake. This stuff is moving quickly, in every aspect of our society. How many millions of jobs will be lost? I don't know what happens to the workers euro A fifty year old truck driver and now you've got to drive list vehicle, taking your job. What happens to you? You're a key graduating college, there's no entry level job. What happens to you. You're a lawyer, you know, firm no longer need you. What happens to you? So economically, I worry about it. I worry about it also, And I say all these things, And the reason I am fighting these fights is I don't have all the answers. But somebody got to start this discussion and talk about it. All right, democracy, All right, Tomorrow there will probably be some kind of deep fake of me on your program saying how much I'd love Donald Trump and what a great job he is, right, yeah, right, all right? So has that happened to you?
Speaker 3: Not yet, I'm waiting for it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it'll happen, all right. So you're at a moment where people look at the internet. We don't know truth from fiction, right, you really don't. You've seen those deep fakes, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: All right? So if a day before the elections, and you saw what happened this guy Thomas Massey, where it was alleged they had a video of him walking into a hotel room with two young congresswomen. Right, Cole, Why did older people in Kentucky believe it? Some did? All right? How do you deal with that and protect democracy? How? And what worries me very much? Reading scores for our kids is in decline. You know that, writing capabilities, cognitive capabilities. Kids are addicted to screens. How do you deal with that? Recently we've seen instances of AI escaping human control. I talked to a Nobel Prize winner who thinks that as AI become smarter than human beings, we could face an existential threat. All right, these are huge issues. We need to have a We need to slow it down. That's the first thing we need to do. Mister Musk cannot run the world and his friends, So that's what I worry about same.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things that can SEPs me up at night, for sure. And especially having two young boys who are going through the education system, you want to make sure they are trained for actual jobs that are going to exist out there and not just looking at their screens. Senator Sanders. Thank you as always for joining Pod Save America. I really appreciate the time.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you John t Up the great work.
Speaker 3: Thanks you too. Take care. That's our show for today.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Bernie for coming on and Dan and I will be back with a new show on your Feet on Friday.
Speaker 5: Hi everyone.
Speaker 1: Pod Save America is a cricket media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts and Faris Safari, with Reed Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groat, Ben Hefco, Jordan Kantor, Charlotte Landist, Carol pel Avive, David Tols, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Sengle. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East