Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: General off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or tilt. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Intermurals, Brother, gold Play Intermurals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now? Here's Nick Coffee. All right, ladies and gentlemen, you made it. It's Friday, at the end of the week. As we get you set for the weekend. Here coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on a Sports Talk seven ninety. That's me Nick Coffee the voice you hear, meaning that's me the company man, mister John all on alongside today and we're gonna have some fun. We're gonna mix it up. Fridays. It's the day where I just I don't know why, baby, because we're close to the weekend, and you know, I think most people in their line of where I guess it depends on what you do. But when you're in an office setting like you work in the Cubicle Life. Friday afternoon, three o'clock. I mean you kind of feel like you're you're near the finish line, because you are, you know, if you work a regular nine to five Monday through Friday. So like Friday's for me on this show, it's kind of like the same thing. Like I try to check the pulse of the millions of you that listen every day, and we appreciate all of you, and I'm hoping you can sense sarcasm there, but nonetheless I feel you, right, we're in the same position, right, we're are you know? So I just don't take this stuff as serious as I typically do, not that I really take it that serious anyway. I mean, it is a job. It's a dream to be able to do this every day. But on Friday, I just there's no uh, there's no guardrails John as far as like where we go. And I really like that about Friday.
Speaker 1: I love when the guardrails are gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like Monday through Money through Thursday, I mean, there at times aren't guard brills and we just end up in places we never thought we would. But at times Monday through Thursday, when that happens, I feel like, well, let's let's regroup here, Let's get this thing back on track. Because we are a very sophisticated and professional sports talk radio program that talks about nothing but the hard hitting stories in sports. We provide analysis, stats, facts, and that's just that's it. I mean, kind of that's what we're supposed to do, I think, but it's not really what we do. But on Friday, like it doesn't even register that, like that's what we're supposed to be, right, Like, I'm just like, who cares, it's Friday. We're almost to the end of the week. I mean, we actually are at the end of the week and it's almost over, and that's a good thing. And another week that goes by, another day that goes by, that means we're getting closer and closer to college football and that makes me very happy. However, today, this story, it'd be a lie to say this is like a huge story within the world of college basketball because most people probably don't care or don't even know. But Louisville is fresh off of a trip to the Bahamas where they went spent about five days in the Bahamas, played two games. I'm not sure how many fans made the trip, but obviously the program, a lot of staffers from the athletic department, a lot of donors, boosters. I'm sure we're along for the trip, and those things happen all the time. I mean, it's beneficial to do those as much as you can because it gives you extra practice in the summer and you guys know the drill, right. It's it was super important for Pat Kelsey and his group to do that because it's a brand new team with an entirely brand new roster. But there's a story out there about George Mason, a not not a I mean, George Mason is probably a person you may know, somebody named George Mason. I feel like there was somebody in my life at some point I knew named George Mason. But George Mason is also a university and they they if you, if you understand the reference here, then then you know, then you'll get it. If not, I'll explain they got they got fire festivaled out of a Bahamas trip. I mean, we'll get into the specific Trulli Donovan is doing a good job of leaking out some details that he is finding out sort of in real time here. But they had a Bahamas foreign tour trip scheduled this week, and they showed up to the airport and the organizer, the company that you know puts these things together, didn't book flights, didn't book hotels, and it was not real. And there are boosters and donors of George Mason and other university staffers that weren't going to travel with the team that made other travel arrangements. Of course, I assume on company dime, they're already there in the Bahamas thinking they're there to watch their basketball team have a couple of exhibition games, and it's not real. And I have so many questions as far as how like how did you get to the point where you show up to the airport ready for this trip? Like I'm just I'm envisioning all of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on, right, Like you've got your content team, they've got the camera out, they're filming guys getting off the bus at the airport, walking up to you know, check in, just all the stuff that you do for marketing, and they then they realize like none of is real. Like the guy who owns this company that put this together like that does events kind of like the Billy guy who did fire festival, if you know what that is. He's taken full responsibility, but he's also kind of like not by blaming it on other people. However, there's got to be more to this story, Like there has to be more because I don't know how you like, how do you not have flight itinerary? How do you not have like full details. I mean, there are people who have full time jobs at these universities, probably making a lot of money that that's their job to make sure logistics are worked out, and they show up at the airport today to leave and like find out that like, no, we have no wreck, there's no flight for you guys, like this is this is this is nonsense. So anyways, I'm gonna be following along throughout the rest of the afternoon or maybe we get more details down. I'm not gonna make it be a huge part of the show, but as as the show started today, there's more and more not behind the scenes details coming out, but like it's starting to get more coverage to be a national story because it's just not something you see very often. So that is that actually distracted me as we get the show started, because I'm I mean that just fascinates me how something like that could happen. So anyways, some other things we'll get into today. We've got to discuss once again another sign that nobody respects the NC DOUBLEA. I mean, I think it's been quite clear for a while that the days of just being worried about the NC DOUBLEA dropping the hammer on you, potentially ruining your career if you're a coach, by giving you a show cause or suspending you, you know, putting the fear in you. Nobody's fearful of the NC DOUBLEA anymore because Michigan has announced that they are going I mean, while keep in mind they they're head coach for head coach just got hammered by the NC DOUBLEA, but not really right because he doesn't care and they're still being investigated. They are any moment now awaiting the notice of allegations in regards to the Connor Stallions cheating scandal. And yet they announced today that Jim Harbaugh is going to be their honorary captain for their opener, Like they're going to parade him around, bring him out. Like, if that's not double birds to the NC DOUBLEA, I don't know what is. While they're being investigated for cheating while they just won a national championship. Now it is kind of weird because again the n is double A. I say all the time, they're consistent, meaning like they're consistently a mess and consistently delusional, not realizing that they're useless and that you know, nobody actually respects them. But part of their consistency in regards to just being ridiculous is that, like they they're not consistent, if that makes any sense. I know that sounds really confusing, But what I mean is that they've already decided that regardless of what comes of this Connor Stallions investigation and the notice of allegations, any type of vacating a championship is off the table, which is just stupid, Like why would it? I mean, you know, what are you doing here? Are you actually going to be someone that is going to rule the organization that you operate and hold people accountable or are you just out here being useless? So maybe if they knew they could potentially have their national championship vacated, one, they probably wouldn't care, but also maybe they wouldn't be as brazen here with the Jim Harball stuff. But did again with college football, n STUABAA doesn't rule college football. The college Football Playoff that Michigan just won last year, that's an event. I mean, you could, I mean, and I think you can claim you are national champions and you justly are the national champion national champions if you do win the fourteam playoff and have the season that Michigan had last year. But the NAA doesn't name you the national champion. It's an ESPN event, not even like I think people know that, but I'm not sure people keep that in mind, like that the n DOUAA did not crown them the national champion by an event that they put together. It's literally an ESPN like it's a bowlgame. I mean, it's literally made for TV event where the college Football Playoff decides who gets to play, and then they have a four team playoff and whoever wins we claim as the national champion. And again I'm not discrediting it as if it doesn't count, but it's not. I mean, maybe the INSTUABA doesn't even have the ability to vacate that. I mean, I'm though it's sure what the n STAA has to do, but I'm telling you, I know it's been a big topic this week, and it's really not that interesting. It's not like something that's entertaining. It's not fun. But you know, we cover college sports around here more than we cover anything for obvious reasons, given that we are a huge college market, and I just, you know, I every day that passes, I start to think, like, maybe eventually this thing's just gonna completely separate itself, because I don't think the NAA just completely disappears, but there's going to be that separation from the rest of the NCAA members meeting schools they're gonna and there's way more of the of those that don't make a ton of money, that aren't in a lucrative business. But there's also this other section that is power for football, Notre Dame included, and I guess you could throw in basketball as well to where it is within the last few years absolutely become professional sports. And it's right here in front of our face. There's no handshake deals for money. It's quite clear these guys are being paid a lot. Money is needed to be raised. So like at some point somebody within college athletics, I think, is gonna have to take leadership or maybe not leadership, because maybe you're not the leader, but somebody's just gonna have to be the first to step up and say, what are we doing here? We don't need them, We do not need the NCAA for anything. And if there's one guess as far as who that person may be, it's got to be Stanky, right, mister Stanky Grex Sank, the SEC Commissioner, Like he's the one that I feel like would have the stones the kahonas to just be like, all right, we've been thinking about it, and we don't we're gonna. We're gonna just we're not. We don't need the incident. The SEC is no longer in any affiliation with the NCAA.
Speaker 1: Do the Sankey leg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean like something he'll do. I mean he would he not be the one guy that would do it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you you keep mentioning if like the Power Conference has decided to break off, it would be very annoying, But it almost feels like it would be a given that he would be the initial leader of the new whatever title he gives himself if they were to break away from the Power for And I wouldn't I wouldn't be in favor in that I feel like a lot of people outside of.
Speaker 2: The SEC wouldn't be in fair, it wouldn't happen.
Speaker 1: But it feels like he would at least vouch for himself to be the leader of that.
Speaker 2: Well, and I can actually respect someone that would be willing to maybe not say, hey, I'm in charge, I'm the one doing it, but at least have the initiative to I guess, make the first move. But you can't have because the conference is still going to exist. That's how all the money's there, right, like the Big Ten and the like. It wouldn't be a scenario to where you just have one big league, no, because that's not how the money. I mean it's and you've got different TV deals and all that, with the Big Ten no longer being in bed with ESPN or ABC. So what you'd end up having to do is find and again just thinking about it here, just picturing like a meeting going on where they're discussing who's going to be the overall leader of the power for Notre Dame included. I mean, it would be the ultimate shaft measuring contest where nobody would agree anybody that because you would have to find somebody that you believe is objective and it would not have any biases towards any particular team or league. And I'm sure there's somebody out there that exists that could do that, but like it would be I mean, think about how difficult it was when they started fighting about the college football playoff expansion, like just it was egos getting in the way. So I mean, if you're n SUAA and Michigan does that and you have no like real like the Michigan being the national champion of the previous college football season and knowing that they just gave their coach who left meaning the Nce double A, a four year show cause and a one year suspension, and you're still investigating Michigan for cheating during their national championship season. If in fact, Harball comes back. They're creatively taking shots and making fun of the nc DOUBLEA right in front of everybody's face. And then this Connor Stallion's investigation concludes and there's really no stiff punishment. How can the NCUBLEA as an organization, How can Charlie Baker, I think that's his name, How can he look himself in the mirror? Is if he's got any sack I mean, because you're just getting completely I mean dunked on and bullied, shoved in a locker, swirlies, wedgies. What are some other things that you do as a bully. I'm missing any.
Speaker 1: Shove people and grab them by the collar and shove them up against the locker or something you.
Speaker 2: Show him in the locker in the locker. Yeah, I mean that's what I said. It's that's part of it. So you know, like I just I'm fascinated by it, and I'm not like, you know, I don't naa Obviously, I don't feel that their punishment for Louisville was it ever made any sense. And that's not to minimize what happened and act like it was. You know, Louisville's victims in this, It was just stupid how they I mean, their own insane way of determining impermissible benefits is to put a monetary value on it. Okay, well, you know you had this flight that was four hundred dollars, you know you sit for a half, Well, with Louisville, the nature of what went on, you can't put a monetary value on it. And in fact, I feel like you nobody would pay for what would Katina Palells bringing into Minority Hall for being honest with you and and you know, with all that said, like you can't put monetary value on it. So they just decided that everybody who played in those in that era, all of their games, all their records and stuff just didn't happen, which is stupid. But anyways, I'm sure that's probably not an interesting thing to a lot of people because the NAA is boring as it is, but their death may be something that interests a lot of people. Now. I guess there is also the worry though, like what it would mean for everybody else, like because without them, you got to think, I mean, things would be different. But let's be honest, things have been so different in the last few years, and it's gonna be even more different once in fact, the schools have to start paying the players. Like it's always kind of looked like professional sports with the big time television deals and clearly, you know, millions of people watching that kind of stuff, but now it's going to be in your face more than it's ever been. And it just to me, how can you have your governing organization at the top the n DOAA. This thing's moving fast, right, big money already there with nil portal, you can basically have free agency. Schools are going to be tasked to pay up to twenty two million dollars a year. Like that is what this is now, it is there's no way around it, and it's and it's gonna be even more in your face as the years go on. And how can you have the governing body that is over top of you? How can you have it to where you know that they hate it, they're against it, they try to fight it, they do everything they can to stop all of it from happening. They live in an archaic world where these guys really are just they're all students who you know, are only like they're actually there to just get an education. And oh wow, I picked up a basketball, I'm pretty good at that. I might I might try out for the team, I might get a scholarship. Like that's the world they live in. It's like they're so they're so opposite and they don't adjust to what the new world of college athletics is. Like, how can anybody within the world of college athletics at the top wake up and act like this is normal? The organization that governs you hates everything that is happening and still tries to fight against it and get shut down by federal judges. Right, Hey, you can't. Hey, you can't do that. You can like again, earlier this week they gave us the new NCAA Division I Manual for the upcoming year twenty twenty four to twenty five, and you know, they laid out their nil bylaw stating that you cannot use an IL to like induce, whereas the federal judge has already come out and said beforehand, you're not allowed to tell them they can't do that, Like, it's just crazy to me. Also, I don't have any strong thoughts on Team USA. I mean, obviously they were in a nail bier yesterday. They were getting killed and then had a great comeback, and I'll think, I, you know, not to dramatize it like it was some magical moment that I'll have forever, but I do think I'll remember that for a long time, just because it's something I never have witnessed before, and it's probably something I may never witness again. Where you see Team USA and men's basketball, something we dominate, getting handled down nearly twenty points, looking as if it's going to be over and then they rally from behind, you would think everybody's on the edge of their seat rooting for America despite your hate for Lebron James or Kevin Durant or Steve Kerr anything like that. Joel Embiid. So you know, I actually thought that was really cool yesterday, Like I think I'm gonna remember that for a long time because it was an unexpected situation to where you could sit back and like, are we gonna get this? Like, you know, it's just because it's great to be dominant, but it's also kind of boring to be dominant, right because we know, we don't even need to go to the Olympics to know that the American the Americans have the best basketball in the country, in the country, in the world, Like it's just a known thing. So to see them against you know, up against it and rally to come back, and legendary players making big time plays like you would expect. Kevin Durant was clutch, Steph Curry was sensational. Lebron James is sixty years old with a gray beard out there doing things that like nobody that's even half his age typically does, Like it was amazing, but there is something odd about Steve Kerr and his lineups. I'm not a huge fan of Jason Tatum. I certainly don't like the Boston Celtics, but I do think the criticism of Steve Kerr is legit, and I do think that they've set Jason Tatum up to be embarrassed. He showed up to represent his country. He's fresh off in nash An NBA title, three time first team All NBA selection. Nobody would tell you Jason Tatum is not super talented and he can't get in the game like that just doesn't make sense. And Steve Kurz made it out to where it's just about lineups, rotations, combinations, and I do think there's something to be said about that. Right. That's why whenever they got rid of Kawhi Leonard, they went out and got Derek White. Derek White is your absolute definition of the modern day role player. He'll do whatever you need. He's good, he's effective, he'll make big plays that help you win games. But he knows I'm behind Jalen Brown and I'm behind Jason Tatum. I'm never gonna be one, two, maybe even three. At times when it comes to like priority within that or within that, within that system. So there's something to be said about, like you can't just put five superstars on the floor and think it's going to work. Right. Talent is going to be on your side, but as far as how you know, like as far as a system running things, like you gotta have balance. But Jason Tatum, I mean, it's embarrassing to him, and I can't lie to you and said that. I genuinely like feel sorry for him because look at him. I mean, this guy just got an insane deal. I mean he just is fresh off the the NBA Finals where he helped Boston win another ring like he I don't feel bad for him, but had he known that, like he wasn't going to be worthy of getting a minute from from Steve Kerr, he might not. He might not have gone. And look, I know there's some people thinking like, well, doesn't matter. You're representing your country. You do whatever, like like we're at war, you do whatever the leader asks of you. But like he's wasting his time like he's he's and it's it's embarrassing to him. I can't speak to the fact that he's embarrassed because you know, he probably would never say that, and I don't you know, I can't read his brain. I don't know him, I don't talk to him. But that would be an embarrassing situation for a superstar player who was just really the face of the NBA Finals and now he's in the Olympics and he can't get off the bench, and it'd be one thing if like, let me an example, Rudy Gobert, he can't get off the bench for France. He got benched, no longer starts and I think he played four minutes in their last game. That's a little odd knowing that he's like a multi time NBA Defensive Player of the Year and he's playing for a team that does not have that many NBA guys on it in France. But he's also a very rare player, like he has no offensive ability and he's just a guy that protects the rim, block shots and that's his impact. So at times you may not need that. At times he could be a liability for you on offense because he's so bad at that part of the game. So that makes sense as to why he may not be getting all the minutes. Face and Tatum is one of the best players on the planet. And I don't know why Steve Kerr would be like biased against Tatum. I don't know that he is, and I don't you know, I don't have no reason to believe that, But him not putting him in the game makes no sense at all, and I think it's actually led to like Steve Kerr, He's probably gonna end up winning the goal and good for him. But like I've always said this, and I know it sounds crazy because it just sounds crazy, but I said it years ago, like when he first took over in Golden State and they started winning. I'm not sure we've ever seen anything from Steve Kerr that tells us he's a great coach. Again, sounds crazy. How many titles does the guy have? Right, Like he has been the coach of a modern day dynasty that was they're not a dynasty anymore, but whenever they were winning their titles and then KD left and they still came back and won another one with that trio Clay Steph and Draymond. I hate the Warriors, but I respect them a lot, and I think that really that made it to where it wasn't just a flukey kind of thing, like they regrouped, KD was gone and they still won another title. Like, I mean, Kerr was the coach of all that, but he inherited all these guys and the GM who's now doing analyst work, Bob Myers. He's the guy who put the team together. Like Steve Kerr is a former player who was was he doing broadcasting maybe yes, yeah, and then he's showed up and started coaching, And like, you know, like it sounds insane, and I say a lot of things that sound insane, and I'm sure I'll say many things in the next two and a half hours that make me sound like an idiot. But what can stee why I could win a title with that team? I mean, the only thing I issue I would have was like, you know, substitutions. You know what I'd be worried about. Draymond wanted to punch me if I took him out of the game, right, But like, also Steve Kerr, if he's a good coach, he wouldn't allow Draymond to be Draymond, Like that's not normal in any way. So like I've always been kind of anti Steve Kerr because I feel like Mark Jackson actually really got that that era rolling in Golden State. So I mean, if he wins gold and good for him and it'll be great for everybody. But I actually think the way he's handled the roster and the way they were getting blown out yesterday, like it's made people kind of question, Okay, like that guy, like go put go have him coach the Orlando Magic. Let's go see what he would do with the Detroit Pistons. All right, we got to get to our first break. I'm just yapping, which I guess is kind of the job. Something else we got to talk about to Deon Sanders continuing to make a fool of himself. Eventually, Eventually, I believe there'll be enough people that just realized this guy. I mean, why are we even giving why are we even giving Colorado the attention? It's a circus, all right, stick around, it's a Friday, It's coffee and company. We're phil about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You know, over the many, the many different Olympics that we've had in my lifetime, it seems as if there's always an obscure sport that people discover or maybe they knew it existed, but they never watched it, or maybe you know, they didn't know it existed, and they're like, what the heck is this? This is kind of cool. I've never been able to share that feeling. I've never had. There's just not just not to be a hater, it's just there's not been a sport that I found during Olympic coverage that you don't typically see, you know, on ESPN on prime time that I'm like, oh, wow, this is great. I want to watch this. However, this breakdance and stuff is insane. I mean, it's it's gone viral all over and I don't know how new it is to the Olympics. But if you told me this was a Saturday night live skit like watching what this like what this is? I would believe you. But it's clearly not. And it's like a real it's a real thing, and I'm just I have so many questions as far as like how you get into it, you know, how do you be like how do you judge this? Right? Like how do you know? I mean, everybody's got their own preference as far as who's breakdancing moves are better than others, right, Like, you know, maybe I come out and do some kind of a you know, a slow erotic set with breakdancing, and then John comes out. He's high energy, he's bouncing around like you know, both can be great. It's just a matter of preference.
Speaker 1: I think I'm looking at it right now, and I feel like the only way to judge this fairly would be similarly to how you judged like the gymnastics routines, Like how difficult it.
Speaker 2: Might be execute something. Yes, I mean it's super I mean you got to be super talented to do it.
Speaker 1: And I am surprised this is an Olympic sport though.
Speaker 2: Like break dancing, Like I honestly, you could do something in front of me and tell me that it's break dancing and it not, and I would just believe you. Like I don't really know, like dancing to me is I wouldn't be able to to determine which version of dancing it is. But I have like I'm jealous of people who can dance. And I don't mean like just break dancing Olympics. I many people who like literally can like just I mean they have rhythm that God gave them. And you know, a lot of white people don't dance well. But then there's some that are just like gifted, and it's something I'm jealous of. I have a friend who I grew up with, close friend of mine, love him dearly. He now lives across the country in Seattle, and you know, I miss him, but he like that was Have I ever told you this story? Like I don't think so. I have a friend who I grew up with, played high school basketball with. I mean I played I played sports with him from the time we were five years old until we graduated high school. And one we were getting towards the end of high school, he you know, he realized he was a really good dancer, and he ended up joining like a cheerleading team and was like part of their corek uh, like a like a not a not a school cheerleading team, but like you know, like a team that goes to competitions, like you know, big deal, Like they fly every weekend at different places. But he was mostly there as far as like the choreography, like he was that was his gift. Well, once we got out of high school, he went away to school at WKU and met other people that were like really into the dancing world and culture and at that time. It was actually and I'm sure it still is really big. But there was a show on MTV called America's Best Dance Crew. It was really popular. Randy Jackson did it, the guy who was the judge for for American Idol and his crew got on there on MTV and they were They made it pretty deep. They didn't win it, but then he he he created a career for himself and a life for himself as a as a dancer, like a hip hop dancer. He was. He toured with Chris Brown for six years. He was in I mean you can go in pretty Oh. It's cool as hell, and he's super, super talented. But like I mean, I've known him my whole life, and like growing up, he didn't dance around us, and we had no clue he had this gift. It was just kind of wild. And then, you know, because he moved away, we just you know, we thought we knew he was out there, you know, trying to He lived in Atlanta, lived in LA and then now he'd met his he met his now wife in LA and they live where she's from in Seattle. They've got two beautiful kids together, and he's no longer dancing he works for I believe, I believe it might work for eighteen t But anyways, you know, like it's just it it's crazy to see like people be able to do that, Like I can't. I can't relate in any way. And I'm sure there's so much training and it's a craft that you have to put so much time and energy into, like anything else that you want to be great at. But I'm I'm sorry. I could. I could put in more work. I could put in double the work that some of these people put in, And I know for a fact, I can't do that. I can't. I can't. I can't spend on my head. I can't, you know, put my leg in front and slide the other way. I mean, there's there's just crazy stuff out there that I that I can't relate to. But yeah, I remember when it really hit me. We uh, we were my wife and I think we just had maya. This was years ago because it's been a while since he was with Chris Brown. But for about five six years, I mean he toured. I mean I remember he spent like three months in South in South Africa with something they were doing, Like he traveled the world and you know, I'm sure he had a blast. But I remember Chris Brown was performing on might have been I don't think it was LENO, one of those kind of shows. Leno might not have been around anymore, but it was one of those main shows that like you see and sure enough, you know, Chris Brown's performing, and there he is, there is there is there he is. He's right there next to him, and I just remember thinking like, holy crap, Like, you know, I knew he was doing his thing. I knew he was working with Chris Brown, but here we are looking at him on you know, ABC or whatever it may be. So yeah, shout out to all the breakdancers your talent. And I'm not someone that's gonna claim that it shouldn't be in the Olympics because it's a skill, it's a talent, and this wouldn't come, this wouldn't even be on my radar of things we need to eliminate from the Olympics because it's actually highly entertaining and I get a lot of envy when when watching it. All right, So another story that I do think is notable. Something that is I think if you're a Louisville fan, if you're worried about the future of the ACC. It's probably something that you have some interest in, but it's it's kind of boring. It's legal stuff once again. But Ross Ellinger of Yahoo Sports is reporting that Florida State and the ACC are to begin mediation next week. And I mean, there's no real way to know until I guess mediation takes place. But this this, I mean the way this write up reads, and I've read the majority of it during the Breakthrough. I just saw it when I think this story actually broke as soon yeah three oh seven, as soon as the show started, so I haven't been able to read read this piece in its entirety over there a Yahoo Sports, But I mean, it sounds as if like there could be a potential settlement to where the ACC does let Florida State leave but for a specific amount of money, which I don't know why they would do that. And if you're Florida State, did you not get humbled, like maybe you don't believe what was said about you in that report that Bret mcmurfrey put out a few weeks ago. But what value does Florida State give the SEC. They're a bad partner because what they did is unprecedented, a lawsuit against a conference that you're a member of, and you did it out of spite. You did it as a sore loser. You blame the ACC on you not making the college football Playoff last year, when in reality they had nothing to do with the ACC. It's unfortunate. There's really nobody to blame. It's just one of those things. You chalk it up to the game, as they say, your star quarterback got hurt, and everybody knew you were not a legitimate one of the four best teams in the country without Jordan Travis. That's why you got left out. It sucks. It's really not fair, but you know what, a lot of things in life aren't fair. But I'll read some of this from ross Ellinger's report. It says, while this is a significant step in the proceedings, the mediation phase and in person discussion between the two sides in front of a neutral mediator is an is an expected one and is not guaranteed to produce a settlement decision. The neutral mediator has chose, has been chosen, and the two sides, barring something unforeseen, will convene for the talks next week. Those with the knowledge of the discussions, tell y'ahoo sports. Officials at the ACC and at Florida State both declined to comment. Goes on to say that the ACC and one of its premier brands are locked in a legal fight. The Seminals are attempting to exit the conference without paying both the exit fee and the cost of buying out its media rights, which it agreed years ago to grant the conference. The price tag of such an exit is estimated to be at more than five hundred million dollars, according to court records. So, I mean, I guess we'll see what comes from this mediation. If you're Florida State, do you really still feel as if you are a victim here? And do you really like I think there's layers to the Florida State side of it as far as cause the cat's already out of the bag. They filed a lawsuit, they fought this long, They've paid a lot of money, and you don't want to just you know quit and you know take the l and just you know, have to eat crow, I suppose, But then again, like, consider your options here. I think the Big ten would be interested in adding Florida State, but not just them, right, and if Florida State's out there on an island, are they just going to add them? I mean, I guess they wouldn't be the craziest thing, but Florida State would be the furthest team. I mean, who'd be the closest team in the Big ten to Florida State? Would it be?
Speaker 1: I you it's either Indiana or Maryland more than likely one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean it's and again, geography hasn't really mattered a whole lot in a while. But like, I don't know, like if you imagine if you paid and you wouldn't do this, by the way, but if you ended up paying like a settlement that's four hundred million dollars just to be free, and you didn't get an invite, how would you survive? You would have no. And again, one of the things that that that makes it impossible for these schools to get out of this grant of rights that rarely gets discussed, is that you're not just paying, you know, the five hundred million plus that's estimated in these court records, because you're just breaking free of your agreement and you're you're you know, you're having to pay your way out of something you agreed to. It's and make it the correct verbage here. Yeah, it says it's not only paying the exit fee, but it's the cost of buying out its media rights. What they mean by that as far as buying out your media rights, you got to I mean, I think the majority of the cost here would be that if you don't buy out your media rights along with the exit fee again north through five hundred million dollars, you could leave, but you couldn't play games on TV because the ACC owns your rights. You know, you don't own your rights, and that's what's kind of weird about this. But then again, there's so much money being shared, like you're in the sec of the Big ten, and I guess you could even say the same thing about the ACC in the Big twelve, Like the bulk of the money that these schools make from athletics is from these grant it's from these from these media rights deals. So therefore, like it's worth it, there's no doubt about it. You need that money, it's worth it. But it's also weird knowing that you don't own your content right like you don't own it. So like last week when Lola was in the Bahamas. They were able to do that like YouTube stream with the Field of sixty eight because it was it was because of how they tied ind not the Field of sixty eight. I'm sorry. The crew from Field of sixty eight was doing the broadcast Rob and tj or too, I should say, but it was through the collective, the five B two circle. And what are they calling it, Floyd Street Media, because if it was, you know, if they were going to put Paul Rodgers or you know, somebody else. I guess not Paul Rodgers because he does radio. But what I'm getting at is like the ACC would be the ACC Network Extra or just the ACC Network itself. They're the only ones who have the ability to air that live on a television station or a network. So I don't know what to expect here. I just have a hard time seeing Florida State getting out of the league and paying that. But then again, like they're still fighting, you know what I mean, Like they've not thrown in the towel yet.
Speaker 1: I'm with you though, Like even though the Big Ten wants to expand their geographical region as much as they want, I just the way that Florida State kind of handles themselves. If something were to ever happen to the Big Ten down the line to where they just I don't think it will happen anytime soon, But who's to say they wouldn't do it again to try to get out of their deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, it's tough to know how legit it is. I don't think Bret McMurphy put out anything that wasn't real information he was getting from legitimate people. But there is something to be said about being a good league. If you're gonna if you're gonna get an invite to a league, especially a league that for the most part has been solidified for quite some time with the majority of its core members, you already have a reputation of being a bad partner. And I don't know if you want to And I don't know. Again, this is one of those things where I really don't know how much it matters. But they're also apparently not even close to being on par with the rest of the Big Ten academically. And I do believe of all these leagues, the one league that I think does actually care about that more than others. I mean, they care about money more than anything, But I think the Big Ten is sort of in there. I mean, I do think they hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to the academic side of stuff, and Florida State doesn't help them in that regard. And I talked about it yesterday with Kentucky in the SEC. If you're Florida State, like you are, one of the big dogs of this conference, there's value there. Now if you're not making enough money and all that, and that's one thing, but there's also no guarantee that you would even get into one of these other leagues. And even though you're probably still going to be behind everybody in the Big Ten and in the SEC, if you do your part and you win at a high level like the ACC at least has made adjustments to where you're gonna be incentivized based off performance, and that's where you could clean up and find yourself making you know, potentially right around what they're gonna make, at least for the time being. All right, quick break, we'll come back, keep this thing rolling along. It's a Friday. We're feeling good at least I am. Hopefully you guys are as well. If not, I mean, we'll try to fix that over the next two hours and some change right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I am not too proud to say that I love this song, but I do think it's the first time I've ever requested it, and I did request John to play this. And here's why. I just find this stuff to be fascinating. This song, of course is I mean, it's legendary, right, And that's not to say it's like the best song ever, but I mean this was a huge hit. I would say of all of en syncs songs as this not the most notable one.
Speaker 1: Definitely one of the time two or three I would get.
Speaker 2: Well, it's now back in the top twenty of the Billboard charts because it's a part of Marvel's Deadpool and Wolverine. Okay, so this happens from time to tom and again. I find it fascinating that a song can appear like in the trailer of a movie, or it can just become a viral TikTok sound that people use. Right, If you're trying to catch on with the algorithm and really grow on TikTok or Instagram, one of the best ways to do that is to attach your content to a trending sound. And I was looking during the break to try to find the example that I that I I mean, I remember this was a couple of years ago, but it was just so fascinating to me. There was a woman who and some of the songs that go viral on TikTok that just become the trending sounds. I mean, there's no rhyme or reason, right. Some of them are just odd, and some of them are old. Some of them are not even professionally recorded. Like it's just wild how that works. But there was a woman who had a hit that was, you know, decent, and she wasn't lever like a mainstream famous musician in like the eighties. But you know, if you google her, you'd find her Wikipedia and see that she had a run. She started a comfortable life away from entertainment in Hollywood, and one of her old songs became, i think in twenty twenty two, maybe the most shared sound within the TikTok platform, and it restarted her music career, and she started going on tour again and like became you know, was you know, I don't know if she made new music, but like, I just think that's cool and in sync doesn't need any you know they're still I mean they're again it's gonna sound like I'm like an n Sync fanboy, but like they're an iconic group and they were big at a time where you know, you could certainly overdo it when it comes to playing their music, and I'm sure that still is a thing this day and age. But now you can listen to whatever you want. You're not You're not only able to listen to what they decide to play on the radio right like I can.
Speaker 1: In the days of en Sync, was it them versus the Backstreet Boys? Was there like a fandom rivalry?
Speaker 2: Uh? I mean, I don't know. I mean, I feel like both were super popular. I don't and I would imagine that that they I mean, they hid huge fan bases, but I could be wrong. I think it'd probably a better question for like a girl my age because that was the era, like we were the we were the demo my age group was the demo of that, like with Britney Spears Backstreet Boys in Saint Christina Aguilere, although she wasn't as big as those others. I mean that was like that was we were the kids that were tuning into TRL with Carson Daily to see. I mean it was crazy, and then I remember the new wave kind of came in with it being a little bit more not as uh, although I mean you go back and look at what Britney Spears was wearing in her videos when she was that young and we were that young, like it was far from you know, appropriate, But then again nowadays, I mean it seems like everything's off limits when it comes to that. But kid rock with ball with the ball and then in sync and not in sync but limb Biscuit, like, uh, did it all for the nookie? Like I remember that era of TRL where you had and then became huge, so like it was that era of like pop, but I don't think eminem was more hip hop rap or whatever. Yeah, exactly exactly radio music like top one hundred hits, that kind of stuff. But I don't remember there being like a thing where if you liked in sync, you must not like the Backstreet Boys, you know what I'm saying. But I'm sure there were people that were so loyal to one that they didn't like the other and at times like, actually, let's do this. This is probably not something that's gonna be a good look, But I don't care as I said, Guardrails come off on Friday's John throughout the show play me different songs from each of the two, and I'm gonna see if I can tell you which ones which? Okay, do you think I'll be able to cause I kind of feel like I'll be able to know, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe not, Yeah, And so I'll do I'll try to mix it up, maybe do easy hits, but maybe maybe should I do more deep cuts so you won't like recognize.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'd say maybe not a deep cut like, but then again, they had albums to where, like I feel like everybody knew every song. Okay, I'll trust you when it comes to that because you're really good when it comes to music and kind of knowing what would be considered a song that, like people have heard of, but it wouldn't have been like the Bye Bye Bye. But anyways, Insank This song is now a top twenty. Yeah. It says here that, following the inclusion in the latest Marvel Studios movie Dead Pulling Wolverine in Sincs two thousand hit, Bye Bye Bye returns to the top twenty this week at number twelve for the first time in twenty four years. In fact, the track benefits from a forty two percent week on week uplift this past week, so, like believe it or not, this is gonna that makes a lot of money for everybody involved from the record label and I'm sure the what do you call royalties that these guys get, so I don't know, I just find that fascinating, but I'm a nerd. All Right, two hours left, it's a Friday. Let's have some fun right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety