Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property. And for this week of June thirtieth, we are continuing with Duster episode six.
Speaker 3: Meet by the Clothes.
Speaker 4: Whatever that is in Russian, I can't say it in Russian.
Speaker 3: I'm not as fluent as Nina.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, So here we have the moment where Nina and Jim are face to face with or they're not face to face, they're with Sacks as he does some kind of a deal with these Russians. We still don't know what's in the case that was exchanged. I know a lot of dollars were turned over, yes, but we don't know what for.
Speaker 3: Jim does save the day by.
Speaker 4: Using Royce's heart transplant scar to make him look like a real tough guy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he is the least tough guy, exactly imaginable. But boy, in that scene at the beginning when he is told not to drink anything, and then you're like, pills.
Speaker 5: Boy, that's like, okay, set your.
Speaker 1: Clock, let's see how long is the episode? And then sure enough he has to drink vodka with the Russians seal the deal and saying, hey, I'd love to, but I just had a heart transplant. These pain medications you can't do that.
Speaker 5: You got to be the tough guy. You gotta drink.
Speaker 1: But then your body's going to do what your body's gonna do. So what are the many disasters unfolding there at that? Right? They just kept piling on the problems, didn't they?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness did Yes?
Speaker 4: He evolves into a shootout with the guys from I believe it was Greek, soal that's who.
Speaker 3: They belong to, right, yeah?
Speaker 5: Rough, And then once that was all done?
Speaker 1: Is it Billy the other driver, Yes, is doubting Nina's cover story and is going to make trouble and they wind up sort of blackmailing him with stupid things he's done. So it's just a free for all of missed opportunities to kill people. And well they do. They do kill the two Greek syl guys, I guess. But lots of lack of trust, Yes, lots of trouble And.
Speaker 3: Is he is.
Speaker 1: Just setting herself up, yes, to be the next never ending source of trouble, right, because she is number one protesting against the union that Sex is involved with, and number two bringing her daughter to the protests, and number three talking to the news cameras at the protests and to the union guy. Yeah, bring it on, We'll take all of your trouble that you're going to give us. Come on, at least don't bring your kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know, at the same time, of course, Sex is like, oh, Jim, you want more responsibility, you want you want to be more involved.
Speaker 1: Did he ever say that he wanted more responsibility, you want to be more involved? I think he sort of enjoys his present level of responsibility. I would like to just hold on to it. Yeah, so yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: So that's going to be certain to take care of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there was like just a little drive by truth drop. Didn't he say something to Nina like if I you know, if I die, tell is he not to tell Luna that I'm her father or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did say something like.
Speaker 5: That, So that just went by there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you, by the way, if you hadn't been paying attention before, guess what, we.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to make sure you know this before we proceed with this whole plot where he's gonna have to kill her. So uh, that just seemed like an awkward little reveal reveal or we reveal or I mean, I feel like we knew it already, but.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they strongly hinted, so.
Speaker 1: They just wanted to make sure, Hey, by the way, did you when we were saying that before, did you know what that meant?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 5: Let's just run it by again.
Speaker 3: But they didn't exactly. I mean, they just slipped it in there like it wasn't a real no.
Speaker 4: If you weren't paying attention, you might miss it.
Speaker 1: Slipped it in there. Any moment of extreme peril when they're deciding who's Redford and who's Newman.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, at least our our guy Awan seems to be safe for the moment. Yeah, he's back at the bureau holding onto Nina's locket, So he's good, that's right.
Speaker 1: But they need to teach their assistant, Yes, a little bit of spycraft, you know, if somebody's somebody's She fell right for the decoy and getting information that you shouldn't have, which caused weasel Man to almost blow her cover. Yes, fortunately Nina has watched a lot of soap operas and so could immediately flip into vulnerability mode and you know, claim that that was her ex husband. But still, that guy, that guy couldn't that guy had just been walking through that warehouse and caught a straight maybe he followed them and then he got shot because he's just could not be any weaseler, or if they branded weasel across this for him as they have met a forically done. But you know, blowing an agent's cover is not cool. Although he didn't necessarily know he was doing that, but still I don't think he would have cared if he did.
Speaker 3: Oh no, definitely.
Speaker 1: And what does this all have to do with Watergate, because I think we're still on that track. Yes' going to tie everything in somewhere, and I'm going to be displeased. Look back over the list of writers and see if mister Rakkelos is on there somewhere.
Speaker 5: Your teacher, my old teacher. He was young. He was very young.
Speaker 1: He was just out of school, so he was cool. I think he had bill bottoms, yeah, and mustache and long hair in the whole bit.
Speaker 3: Time to make a career change.
Speaker 1: Even though he was young at the time, he would be too old to be screenwriting now, I think never know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they needed somebody to make sure they were getting their.
Speaker 5: Seventies accuracy for the era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember mss being a cool dude, but cool in looks and attire, not so much in assignments given to children, right, But.
Speaker 5: That was uncool anyway.
Speaker 1: So I mean, my first, my first parenting tip on this thing is, do not bring your child to the picketing. Yes, but there's violence and you suffer from it. I'm sorry, I like you, but at least you asked for it. Do not bring your child to the picketing. Yeah, get her little face on TV.
Speaker 5: Don't do that.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: People are doing that now though bad idea. Also, bringing somebody who's still recovering from heart surgery to a big deal with violent criminals is a bad idea, even though he is an adult man and you want to bring him into the business. Maybe wait a little longer. Do people know what heart transplants.
Speaker 4: Involved, especially when it's just, like you know, done in your living room, like.
Speaker 1: Exactly does the at home heart circuits not.
Speaker 5: Have a packet of information? Yes, and advice for.
Speaker 1: Timetables of returning to work and drinking vodka and confronting armed.
Speaker 5: Russians.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they need to. I think there needs to be some I mean I started taking a a new heart medication that has certain restrictions to it, and I got in the mail a huge packet of information about it, enough to make me think, if it needs this much information, do I want to be taking it? But that was just for a pill for a transplant. I would think there would be a box that would come to your home read all of this, mister Sachs, so that you make sure your son is well cared for. I think that somewhere in there on page five sixty two would be Xnay on the dangerous violent situations. Nay, yeah, in what you're doing what number one? I had this feeling that Royce was never even in his heartiest, healthiest days.
Speaker 5: Somebody you want.
Speaker 3: To bring into this business.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think you.
Speaker 1: Send him off to school somewhere, you pat him on the head, and you've assigned somebody to protect him.
Speaker 5: Twenty four to seven.
Speaker 4: And yeah, his sister is way more yeah, you know, savvy than lotly he's just when you're handing down the family business, you need to choose the rights the right offspring for that.
Speaker 1: The one who looks like a little teddy bear, not that one.
Speaker 4: Even if she's a girl, she might be better at it.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know that's hard for you to take. That's your Yeah, but yeah, you're gonna have to set that aside if you want this to work out.
Speaker 5: Yikes. You know it's hard when you have plants and your kid is sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's a problem you have to decide. Do you do you put all the family's plans on hold or do you try to accommodate the young person's needs in your in your plants?
Speaker 4: Do you fly to San Francisco when your child's appendix is bursting exactly. Maybe you do if you don't know.
Speaker 5: That it's true.
Speaker 3: You didn't know, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: You didn't think, well, you know the amount of time before it's going to burst and the length of the flight.
Speaker 5: I think we could just make it.
Speaker 3: I think, no, that's not what happened.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, ask the stewardess. Could you just kind of check around? Is there a circ.
Speaker 3: Oh dear?
Speaker 5: Yikes?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I think most parents have had to make that call, like we really don't want to cancel this thing we've done, and we really want everybody to go. But is this Are we going to be able to do this? Is this gonna? Is this wise?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: In what ways? Could this go horribly wrong? Oh dear?
Speaker 4: And then to have to be the one to say that to the kid, you know, like, yes, everybody wanted to go along on this big vodka drinking mission, but.
Speaker 5: Yes, you can't go right right, Like.
Speaker 3: That's that's a hard position to be in.
Speaker 5: I have once.
Speaker 1: Done something and taken the kid along because I don't want everybody to look back at this is the time we didn't do this thing because of this kid. And in the end, we shouldn't have done it, and nobody would have cared, right me, I was the one you cared.
Speaker 5: Nobody nobody else would remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see again previous discussions about mom planning trips and not being appreciated.
Speaker 5: So nobody cares cares about you. Just stay home.
Speaker 4: Just stay home with your nice housekeeper for you see your pills. Yes, she seems like a nice lady.
Speaker 3: She did.
Speaker 1: She's me very disappointed when she finds out he'd drank vaka didn't.
Speaker 5: I tell you, no booze.
Speaker 1: At least his uh A scar came in handy, so that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quick thinking, bye, Jim.
Speaker 5: Not that often whipping your shirt open and showing.
Speaker 1: Your car is going to be the thing that convinces somebody you're a tough guy. But you know, I'm not sure I buy how that all went down, But okay, I needed to get out of this situation, so I'm good. But why his dad didn't just take him home afterwards but left him with the D crew, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But with the crew and the and the all important case that exactly contained whatever it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was I think somebody needs to send that man a parenting book.
Speaker 3: Do you think you will read it.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, not.
Speaker 1: A million years, but all sorts of bad stuff getting set up here.
Speaker 5: Only two Milly more episodes two more.
Speaker 4: So next Wednesday we will continue with episode seven, which possibly is called kin. I don't know why this show couldn't have like standardized, you know, a method for titling. It's kind anyway that that might be what it's called. If it's not, I'll correct it in the show notes. And that's number seven, and then there's only one more after that. A so, well, see what happens. Yeah, and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also tell talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.