Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Jim Cummings here. Welcome to my podcast, tuned In with Jim Cummings. We have a great guest for you today, but before we get to that, make sure you like and subscribe. Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to FANEXPOHQ dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. And with all that said and done, sit back and enjoy today's episode and as always, thanks for tuning in to Tuned In with Jim Cummings. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawing, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now? How you doing out there? It's me tigger. I am Dark Wayne Duck. It's me Bunker's Deep Bobcat. All right, y'all, is it Rae your favorite firefly you desire? Holdo, old knock guy. My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned in. Hello, out there, everybody. Jim Cummings here. How is everybody doing out there today? On this fine day? Of course, I don't know what day you're actually watching this, but I have to tell you I had a fun experience not too long ago, a few weeks ago, and I had a chance to be a guest on another podcast which is very weird, and it's called Bungalow Heaven Railroad and it's in a garden from a guy who lives in Pasadena. His name is Nick Johnson, and he built this incredible railroad. It goes back and forth and all over his property in Pasadena, California. I will not give you the address, sorry, But what started as a viral social videos with nearly one hundred million views has turned into a really kind of fun show, right and where he's got a new guest visits the railroad each episode. And I'm an old railroad guy. I remember when I was a kid. I had a talka and I had I can't even remember the name of it, but it was it was really cool and just something about railroad, something about a train. Anyway. You could find Bungalow Heaven Railroad on YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Podcasts. So I don't know, give me a favorite. Take a listen to this episode, see what you think about it. Check it out right here.
Speaker 2: Hi Jim, Welcome to the Bungalow Heaven Railroad.
Speaker 1: Look at this. Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 2: So this is twelve.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to a garden railroad before?
Speaker 1: I don't think there are many? No, so no. Do I see bonesie trees?
Speaker 3: Yes, lots of bones trees? Yes, all the plants are real, that's the question. We get a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The gondola that you see there, that was something that was added back in May, right, and yeah, that's our little Disneyland.
Speaker 1: Look at this. This is wonderful and they're quieter.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Always kind of had a thing for trains. I was raised. I was born in Youngstown, Ohio. We're right on the tracks. I mean you could hit you pick up a buckeye and throw it and hit a train from from from my yard.
Speaker 2: Did you have a train when you were a kid?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh yeah, yeah. And I want to say, there's two sides. There's this size, which I like, yep, and that's this is g the g okay, And what's the other one? The h os those are.
Speaker 3: H is kind of I would say the most common. They're about that big. And then oh is Lionel You know the Christmas tree? Yeah, with three it's like three rails.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was gonna say, I think that's the one I had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's how a lot of people had that as a kid. Hi, I'm Nick and this is the Bungalow Heaven Railroad. For the past two years, I've been building a garden railroad in the front yard of my historic Pasadena home and sharing short videos of this tiny world with millions of people around the globe. In this new video podcast, I invite a special guest each episode to visit the railroad, learn how it works, drive a train, and talk about creativity, storytelling, and the joy of building things that move people. If you're listening to this as an audio only podcast, just imagine you're sitting on the porch with us during the conversation. As the trains roll peacefully through the garden below. In this first episode, I'm thrilled to welcome Jim Cummings, one of the most prolific and influential voice actors in entertainment history. More in four decades, Jim's voice has shaped animation, film, television, music, and video games on a scale few performers have ever matched. He's best known as the longtime voice of Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, roles he has carried on for nearly forty years. He has also brought characters to life across countless beloved shows and films, and even contributed his voice to Disney Park's attractions, including Millennium Falcons, Smuggler's Run in Galaxy's Edge. Please join me in welcoming Jim Cummings to the Bungalow Heaven Railroad.
Speaker 2: So I didn't grow up thinking that I would do this. No, I built a railroad in my life.
Speaker 1: I grew up thinking you were gonna do this.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the confidence my uncle had.
Speaker 3: This Actually a lot of this railroad in his yard since I was a kid, So all this track was his. So a lot of these steam engines were his. And you know that's my connection to it. And so a few years ago he asked me if I would carry on his his legacy of the trains, and he gave us everything, which was super nice.
Speaker 1: That is nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can't beat the price exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there an early version of that for you?
Speaker 3: When you know, when you realize that your voice was going to be your path in life?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I knew I was going to do what I do, what I wound up doing and still do. Is I knew when I was five years old? Wow? I told before Jack Benny, old time comedian, had mel Blank, the Great melt Blank on the show as a regular any and he would he would do bits and do voices obviously, and my dad says, you see this guy here, he's mel Blank, He's he does that Tasmanian Devil, Bugs, Bunny and Daffy Duck and all those voices that you like on Saturday morning. So on the spot, I said, up before, I said, well, I'm just I'm gonna do that. Wow. And he said, oh, okay, but what are you going to do for a living?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah, that's good. I mean what do you argue with the five year old? So so I did.
Speaker 2: And you ended up doing Tasmanian Devil, right, and I ended up.
Speaker 1: Doing Tasmanian Devil. Yeah. Yeah. A few, not many Warner Brothers, but a lot of Disney. Yeah yeah. So I knock on wood. I have an odd bucket list, you know. In life. I always wanted to be a deckhand on a Mississippi riverboat. I did that. And I wanted to design and paint Mardy Grass floats, So I did that Wow in New Orleans. It's one of it and ride the rails quote unquote yeah from knowing about it, because I mean literally it was, oh, I don't know, maybe two football fields away. Yeah, the tracks themselves from from where I was born, and it was very fancy neighborhood. No it wasn't. And I just it was just such a romantic and sort of it felt very Mark twain ish. Yeah to me, you know. And I'm a big fan of Mark Twain.
Speaker 3: So I grew up in the eighties and nineties and many of the cartoons that.
Speaker 2: I watched as you were sick of me, your voice was.
Speaker 3: In them, Dark Wing Duck, Tailspin, Rescue Rangers, Cat Dog. I've been watching some Dark Wing Duck because it's on Disney Plus and singing, hey, what the good work? My wife is not happy about me, the dark wing duck.
Speaker 1: When there's trouble, you cult w.
Speaker 3: So these were iconic and characters you know, of my childhood. And with this railroad, the boundaries for me is the size of the yard, where the fence line is, the climate that we live in. But everything inside is you know, has come from my imagination of where I decide the track's going to go and what trees I put in. When you're handed a character that no one has ever heard before, how do you approach that? And what are your guardrails in the creative process?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't have any guardrails nothing, no holds barred. And whenever I first see a character, there's two things to look at. The physicality, what character looks like, and you can you know, in other words, he's a big three hundred pound seven foot tall fill in the blank. You know, it's obviously one of them. You maybe give one of these, but it might be fun if you just give them a little peeny voice like that, you know, because it goes against type, so you know, it depends ens and uh, you know, if he's a good guy, if he's a bad guy, if he's a sarcastic guy like dark Wing Duck. He's not super big, he's not super small. So I just wound up somewhere in the middle and I informed him. Let his personality informed the voice, and yeah, you know, and he's very he's kind of sarcastic. He's got a good sense of humor, but he's sarcastic, and so he's probably good. I can't find Yeah, okay, yeah, whatever, you know, and you just blend all that together, all these personality traits. Yeah, and hopefully whatever comes out they buy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tailspin is another one that because you know, if you can believe it that I'm into trains, I'm also into airplanes.
Speaker 1: And he's my favorite guy. I love her. He is no smooth show, which is for of course French. Yeah, glad you like him. Yeah, he's one of my all time favoites. You know, it's fun to have. It's you know, I do. I don't know if I do equal amount of good guys and bad guys. I never thought of it, but bad guys are fun, yeah, you know, because they get in a lot of trouble. Yeah, and they're kind of expected to, so it's never a never a letdown. Yeah you know you saw that one coming. And uh, you know, bad guys do have fun. Yeah, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: That's nice that you get to do a mix of boats.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, well I do one winning the Pooh and then I could do like five bad guys and still break even because Poo's such a good guy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, so it works.
Speaker 3: We just did the Winnie the Pooh ride at Disneyland the other day and oh yes, did you have.
Speaker 1: A smart roll? There's honey right next door. I believe, so it could be wrong. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now.
Speaker 3: That's our new fire lookout tower. Oh okay, you know it's it's.
Speaker 1: Uh remember only you could prevent folds.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yes, and you did that?
Speaker 1: That was me? Yeah, I was I was smoking the bear for years.
Speaker 2: Wow, I just noticed the water feature.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is this is our little lake. That also doesn't work that great, but it you know, it's wet. I bought a couple little buckets of concrete, dug a hole and use my hands with rubber gloves and oh yeah, yeah, well do you want to do you want to drive a train?
Speaker 1: Here we go?
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, so let's let's go back there.
Speaker 1: All right. I'll follow you.
Speaker 3: And if you you know, stop, then you can put it in reverse send it backwards.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, and is that the accelerator too? Yeah, so you just oh okay, yeah, well I think we went forward right, Yeah, one more time.
Speaker 2: Now you're in reverse.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's really cool. I like how you know it gets out of your eye line every now and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you don't have to steer it so you know else.
Speaker 1: He knows where it's going. How do it know? There you are? Oh? Yeah, well you could just do this all day?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is he coming back? Ever? It will? Okay? I was thinking I screwed up your No, it's going to the actual Santa Fe.
Speaker 3: So here comes the yellow one and then yours will be right behind it. Ahha, we're like racing train really something.
Speaker 1: I guess I can.
Speaker 2: Lay that down and yeah.
Speaker 1: A picture. It's a busy day down here, folks down at the tracks, right nick, yep, there you go.
Speaker 4: All about Tryanaheim Cuckamonga and the ZUSA named that famous cartoon character.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're alone now, Oh wait, but wait this more. Yes, it's just too good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, you're pro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's just that easy. I'm a pro. It's sitting here watching it. Yeah, I've sat before.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyone who's seen my railroad can probably guess that. I'm a big Disney fan and a lot of this world and our railroad pulls inspiration from the park when we go and visit. I believe you've contributed to attractions at the Disney parks, including the Hondo Naka for Millennium Falcon Smuggler's Run. Yes, what was it like reimagining a character for a physical space instead of a TV screen? And did the process differ from none at all?
Speaker 2: Animation?
Speaker 1: That's the same thing, Yeah, because you don't really want to change anything. Yeah, because that's you know, the fact that he was the way he was and sarcastic and slightly tricky. All those traits are what got him there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you don't want to change it, yep, you know you.
Speaker 1: Want to give give the customer what they what they're looking for. And it's an amazing thing. You know. It's funny. I have an investment opportunity for you, my friend. I'll tell you one. Give me all your money and I will make sure it is spent very wisely, and I promise to keep you posted. Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Was it a long time in the making when you knew about that ride, you know, from before it gets announced?
Speaker 1: No, I remember it was so crazy that Disney called me down to go to Imagineering, which is over in Glendale, and they're walking me through this incredible Now, when you're making a movie, they are you've heard, familiar with storyboards and things like that. They're almost like big giant posters of the whole movie. And my agent told me, he said, well, they're thinking in terms of doing using Hondo on a ride. They might do it. We're not sure. I said, oh, okay, well, so what am I doing? Well, they want you to go down and walk you through some stuff and see how you're if you like it, and I was like, of course I like it. I like it, and I haven't seen it yet, you know. But and I went down they're they're kind of pitching me. Now, we're thinking, now, let me know what you think of this, and is having him do this and that and have him greet people. But then then he's going to appear on a thing. I don't know. Does that sound on a screen? Is that going to be okay? And I go, yeah, this is great. And I realized they were pitching me the idea, and I go, just so you know, I think this is great. If you're waiting on me, I say, full speed ahead, Yeah, let's start recording. You know. I had that happen too with the with the movie Winnie the Pooh. They were pitching me this movie and I go, you can't. It feels like you're pitching me. They go, well, is it something you want to do? And I go, you couldn't stop me. Yes, the answer is yes, I would like to do that because that's what I do.
Speaker 3: And anyway, what was it like when you went on these attractions that you've worked on as a fun too?
Speaker 1: It was amazing. I didn't think it was going to be that cool. Yeah, I just I don't know, I just you know, I remember as a kid, much much younger going to Disney landing. Mister Lincoln was there. He was he was up and he gave the Gettysburg address at the Hall of Presidents or I can't remember what it was, but he was there. And I remember one time I went there and do wor score and seven years ago or forefather Kate, Oh, here we go, you know, and he was sitting there and this is you know, and I envisioned that, yeah, you know. And so when I finally went in to see the ride Millennium Falcons Smugglers Run, I walked there, you know where you walk in and there's a part where you walk. There's a part where you kind of stand and they move you. And it's really unbelievably cool. If anybody gets a chance to go. I can't recommend it enough. But there is a part where he's Hondo's up there and he's giving orders and doing this and that and holding forth and giving a speech to the people on the other end of the line, and he turns around and goes, oh, I didn't see you there. And he turns around and walks over and looks down at all the people down there and like, go, whoa, because you I'm still used to mister Lincoln. Yeah, you know. And mister Lincoln was not there, but Hondo was. He just turned around and walked over and gave you a hell. How you doing? What are you doing? Okay? All right, come on, everybody, buck up. Let's we're going for a ride. We don't have to tell Solo. We don't want him to worry about this, you know. And you go and you steal a bunch of stuff and Hondo gets to keep it. Yes, and it's a beautiful thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then you come up on the screen at the end and tallies up your damages.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: You've been the voice of Winnie the Pooh and Tigger for many decades now. How did you step into those roles? And what does it feel like to carry on characters that are so deeply woven into people's childhoods.
Speaker 1: Well, it's an honor. It's an honor for me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: At the time when I first auditioned for Pooh and Tigger, it was twenty years since they had shown up from the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. It was not New Adventures, but Winny the Poo and Tigger two Winned the Pooh in a Day for Eyre and Winned the Poo. There were those three shorts that they made, and they put the three of them together to make a feature length movie and they won an Academy Award in the early sixties, mid mid sixties, and then for some reason, they just didn't do anything for like twenty some years, which I was grateful for because it gave me a chance to grow up and then I could audition for them, because you know, I couldn't have done that in junior high.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and I ended up getting the the the role of Winnie the Pooh. And uh, I don't think anybody expected it to blossom like it did because one series led to another and then they're, okay, well, now we're gonna do an attraction for Tokyo Disneyland. Now there's well one for Disney Disneyland. Don't forget Paris, you know. And it's one project after another, and and they keep coming up with the Tigger movie. Yeah, you know, and it's a it's a beautiful thing, and I'm I'm just blessed and very grateful, eternally grateful.
Speaker 2: So well, you do a great job all of your voices.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: M m hm.
Speaker 1: Did you have to make each little board or ah, yes, yeah, because it looks I mean it almost this almost has to be custom because there's no kit.
Speaker 2: It's a very custom hobby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's no not a kit. Can I have the standard incredible, trustfull and I naedive water tower and you know it's.
Speaker 3: Like no, yeah, you got to Yeah, I mean that's you know, it's it's very enjoyable because it's very creative.
Speaker 2: You know, you get to decide where the track goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that other garden railroaders that I've had visit, that we've talked about is that every person's garden railroad is it's the same medium, but it's your own of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well I mean just by virtue of the terrain, it's going to be necessarily different. Yeah, I would think right.
Speaker 3: And I love I really love the gardening part of it, and again with making the videos.
Speaker 2: Having lots of lush greenery and trees.
Speaker 1: I like bonesie too. Yeah. I have a couple and that I've had for a long long time and it's really rewarding.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Did you see did you notice the two redwoods here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so those that's so cool. Yeah, those were at a nursery in Pasadena. They were about eight feet tall. Kind of sad and dying. Really got him for really cheap cut him down about a year ago. And this one I wanted to look like an old growth with the kind of you know, dead wood up towards the.
Speaker 1: Top, like it's been hit by lightning.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my railroad started as a curiosity.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a master plan for this, That's the question I get a lot. If I had, you know, track plans and drew it out. We just kind of went with it. It was a very artistic process.
Speaker 1: I think the terrain would dictate to a certain extent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, well, and that what's cool about ours is that it was really just a flat yard. So all the all the miniature mountains and hills you see was I built those? You know, that's great shovel and lots of sweat and work too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for some neighbors going what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh wow, okay, but had to keep keep going.
Speaker 1: How long have you had this baby?
Speaker 2: Going close to two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and like I said, it's it will never be done. Yeah yeah, because there's I understood. Yeah yeah. So for for someone young who feels that creative pool but doesn't know where to start, what advice do you give.
Speaker 1: Well, I it's always the same. It's a if you have a local theater, like from Youngstown, Ohio, we had the Youngstown Playhouse and they had children's theater department, and then there was you know, the adult and it was not professional. We're all amateurs. Nobody was being paid. And that's how I started. When I was a kid, I you know, i'd be ten years old. I didn't want to be the young prince. I didn't want to be the farm boy next door or whatever. I wanted to be the wizard or the troll who lived under the bridge or something, you know, And it's just extended my imagination, kind of pushed it to the limits because you know, you look at a you know, you look at a ten year old boy and he's only going to sound so many ways. But if maybe it's a ten year old gremlin, well that might be a little different. You know, that might be you know, come up with a different voice for that.
Speaker 3: It was such an honor to have you come visit the railroad, and we're so happy that you got to see it.
Speaker 1: Good stuff same here, Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, keep up the good work.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to fanexpohq dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. Thanks for tuning in to tuned In with Jim Cummins