Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We defining local news.
Speaker 1: Good morning, six o'clock and it may not be what we hope for, but bring it in Friday. You're here, finally, it's been a weekend. You don't write and you don't call, but you're here, and that's the important thing. It's raining and sixty one degrees here in Boston. The News at six is brought to us by your new England Toyota dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. I'm Jeff Brown. So this is August.
Speaker 3: To rain and drizzle for a while this morning, then there can be a few breaks of sun.
Speaker 1: Hi today will be right around seventy degrees. Okay, we'll take it at WBZ. AKI weather meteorologist Heather's Air. Beautiful weekend though on the way, it's US tariff Day kind of sort of. The world wakes up to a new pecking order this morning. President Trump says times up for dozens of countries which did not cut a deal with the White House on trade, which now means higher rates between ten and forty one percent will kick in actually one week from today. It's designed to give more time for border agents to catch up meantime, the President cuts Mexico a break with a ninety day delay in new tariff rates south of the border, while giving Canada the cold shoulder up north and an increase in tariff's to thirty five percent effective today. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Karney says negotiations will continue. America's health is at risk of decline. A new report from the CDC says vaccination rates among kindergarten students for all viruses are down for the most recent school year. This news comes as measles cases hit a thirty three year high in the US, and Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior says getting immunizations should be a personal decision. Exemptions to vaccines among the younger crowd grew in thirty six states in the most recent school year. The Health Department maintains that getting vaccines is still the most effective way to protect kids and older generations. Those still paying for a college degree need to start digging a little deeper today.
Speaker 4: Millions of people with student loans who signed up for a Biden era repayment plan will start seeing interest accrue to their accounts starting today. According to one analysis, the change could result in an additional three hundred dollars in monthly cost for the typical borrowers.
Speaker 1: CBS's Jesse Mitchell borrowers our urge to check out four different repayment plans, all available on the federal student aid websites. Request rejected. A federal court denies a bid by convicted Boston marathon bomber Jean Ar Zarnaiyev to get the judge overseeing his death sentence appeal removed from the case. The First Circuit Court of Appeal says Judge Georgie O'Toole and Boston can remain on the job. Lawyers for Zarnaiev say O'Toole is biased and point to comments he made about the case on podcasts and at public events during appeal. Zarnaiev is currently serving a sentence at the Supermax prison in Colorado. The world of professional tennis has important business to attend to these days, and that would be the rumor Mill. Wbz's Drew moholland is year with details. Good morning, Good morning, Jeff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One thing that's great about the pro tennis tours the players, all the access you get if you go, but sometimes too much info gets out there. Let me take you to Montreal and mutching Coco Goff beat Veronica Kouter Motova. Good match. And then this tea from the Tennis Channel broadcasters surrounding the men's top player, twenty two year old and single Holger Rune.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you heard about this tea. This is totally not tennis related. Holger Rune apparently texted Kuda Mortova and she said she was too old for him and married.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think he was supporting her tennis somehow, I felt that it was something a little different.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a match going on there by the way, did.
Speaker 6: You hear the other guy? He's like, ah, yeah, apparently no.
Speaker 1: There it is. It's just sixty one degrees in Boston on this Friday morning, and we haven't seen this kind of temperature in seemingly weeks. I'm sure we've seen it in between then and now, but it's a little bit of a rude awakening this morning. Not only that it's raining, it's coming down to a pretty good clip in most of eastern Massachusetts, although we're starting to wring ourselves out in portions of central mass and certainly the entire Berkshire's area is starting to clear out this morning. We are seeing a widespread area where at least two inches of rain has fallen over the past twenty four hours or so, and we are expected to see a couple more hours of this rain before it clears on out of here. And once the rain goes away, there's a pretty decent chance we're going to see some sunshine later this afternoon. It's not going to be very warm by any stretch of the imagination. It is August and we're going to struggle to get above seventy degrees today. I think we'll take it. After what we've been through overnight tonight clearing low temperatures in the fifties and sixties. This weekend looks absolutely beautiful with sunshine both days. We're in the seventies tomorrow and in the eighties on Sunday. Right now in Boston, sixty one and raining here in the city at six oh six this Friday morning. Boston, You're my home. But now we may not love that dirty water.
Speaker 2: No swimming, fishing, or boating on or in the t that's thanks to this big cyanobacteria algae bloom. The Boston Public Health Commission says, toxins are running downstream of massab and Harvard Bridge, so folks and our furry companions are being advised to not splash in the water as it can irritate skin and eyes and a mess of other problems if ingested recent warm temperatures. Maybe it'll blame for this high level of blue green algae that could last for weeks in Cambridge. James Rojas w b Z, Boston's.
Speaker 1: News radio meanstwhile at the bar, Boston wants to step up its game.
Speaker 7: Our small businesses make Boston Boston.
Speaker 5: Under new state legislation bundled in the budget, restaurants can soon upgrade their beer and wine licenses to an all alcohol liquor license.
Speaker 7: That's in addition to the two hundred and twenty five new liquor licenses that started going out and became available earlier this year because of record landmark legislation that introduced the most new liquor licenses to Boston since prohibition.
Speaker 5: Boosting a press conference at a bar stocked full of Soju Dynasty Cantonesetery here in Chinatown is one of the spots that benefits the City of Boston has been the first one to take the baton chair of the House Committee on Ways and Means. Aaron michael Witz helped push this through Mary Michelle, who says the city is filing an ordnance to opt in for the upgrade program, something that will happen in a matter of days. From Chinatown, jilllet WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: We're gonna need a bigger tree. An insect just recently discovered in Australia is enough to make you do a double take, or right, maybe a triple take. It's a supersized stick insect. It has been found swinging from high altitude branches. It checks in at more than fifteen inches long. That's fifteen inches long. Researchers say the stick insect was so high up they had to use a long stick to get it down. Experts say the insect gets so big because it lives so high. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio.