Speaker 1: Did you miss out on that big football game last week? Can't get rid of that head cold? I want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: CBS offers you Escape.
Speaker 1: You are groping your way slowly through the dark hold of a ship at sea, moving carefully step by step, searching intently for something you dread to find, because you know that this ship carries a cargo of death.
Speaker 2: The Columbia Broadcasting System and it's affiliated stations presents Escape, produced and directed by William N. Robson, and carefully plotted to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: Tonight, we escaped to a harbor front in Venezuela and a grim voyage that started there. As told by Martin Storm in his Gripping Story, a shipment of mute fate.
Speaker 3: I stopped on the wharf at Laguira, looked up the gang plank toward the liner chan K standing quietly there at her moorings. The day was warm under a bright tropic sun, when the harbor beyond the ship lay drowsy and silent. But all at once, in the midst of these peaceful surroundings, a cold chill gripped me and I shivered with sudden dread, dread of the thing I was doing and was about to do. But too much had happened to turn back. Now I'd gone too far to stop. Well, I set the box down on the edge of the wharf, placed it carefully so as to be in plain sight and within gunshot of the captain's bridge, and then I turned and started up the gang plan. I knew what I was going to do, but I couldn't forget that a certain pair of beady eyes were watching every move I made, eyes that never blinked and never closed, just watched and waited. Oh a bigger part.
Speaker 4: What it's mister Warner?
Speaker 3: Hello, mother Willis? How's the best looking stewardess on the Seventh Sea.
Speaker 4: I'm fine, mister Warner, I guess better run along, now get on, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Now wait a minute, that's a fine greeting after two months.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just that I'm so busy.
Speaker 3: I don't believe a word of it. Sailing days tomorrow. You're simply avoiding me, that's all.
Speaker 4: Oh no, really, I'm not.
Speaker 3: And on the trip down from New York you said I was your favorite passngor. But I'm only a wait a minute, what s that you're carrying in your acreer?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Just supplies, supplies, have a luck? No, please, what do you know? It's a cat?
Speaker 4: It's Clara, mister Warner. Mister Bowman said I had to leave her ashore and.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't.
Speaker 3: Who's mister Bowman, the new chief steward.
Speaker 4: Clara's been aboard with me for two years and I just can't leave her here in a foreign country, especially with her condition.
Speaker 2: It's delicate.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I see what you mean. Well, I hope you get away with it.
Speaker 4: You you won't tell anyone.
Speaker 3: Not a soul. As a matter of fact, if things don't work out right, we may both end up smuggling.
Speaker 5: To have you on board on the trip down two months ago, Christopher, I'm very glad you're coming along with us on the run back to New York.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Captain. When there is one thing though, I'm having a little trouble with the customs men here, and I wondered if you might.
Speaker 5: Just can't do it, Christopher. I just came with your father this morning, told him I've done it for you if I possibly he sent it a question.
Speaker 3: New York, you know, Yeah, I thought he would. I wired him from upriver last week.
Speaker 5: I hate to refuse, but it's absolutely out of the question.
Speaker 3: A captain whin, I'm afraid I don't follow you.
Speaker 5: There, responsibility to the passenger's son. But have women and children aboard on a liner. The safety the passenger comes ahead of anything.
Speaker 3: But with proper precautions.
Speaker 5: Something might happen. I don't know what, but something might. You've carried worse things, there isn't anything worse, and then you skip it a float to bare me out. Now, Christopher, I simply can't take the chance. And that's final.
Speaker 3: Final. Well, it wasn't final if I could do anything about it. I hadn't come down here to spend two months in that stinking back country and then be stopped on the edge of the wharf two months of it heat, rain, insects, malaria. I'd gone clear in past the headwaters of the Orinoco, traveled through country where every step along the jungle trail might be the last one. Oh, Sanchez, you better start looking for a place to camp. Be dark in a little while.
Speaker 6: Very soon we turned the river, camp on rocks by water. This very bad country.
Speaker 3: This very bad country. You've been saying that for ten days now, very bad country.
Speaker 6: We wander this very bad country.
Speaker 3: I'll skip it. For all the luck we've had so far, it might as well be Central Park, Central Fike. I understand, I'll never mind if we don't find something here. What's the matter? Quiet now, sanchus?
Speaker 7: What's wrong in the path?
Speaker 6: See Bushmaster?
Speaker 3: Bushmaster The deadliest snake in the world. Bushmaster. Its Latin name was Lacasis muto mute fate. It lay there in the center of the path, a ten foot length of silent death, coiled loosely in an undulent loop, ready to strike violently at the least movement. Here was the one snake that would go after any animal that walks, or any man. It lay there and watched us, not moving, not afraid, ready for anything. The splotch of its colors stood out like some horrible, gaudy floor man, lying there on the brown background of the jungle, waiting for someone to step on it. Here was what I'd come two thousand miles for a bushmaster, Sanchez. I didn't want that snake kill.
Speaker 6: No kill senor he gone bush muster A very smart, very quick must always see bullet in time to dodge the.
Speaker 3: Anyway he's gone, and the only one we've seen in five weeks.
Speaker 6: Oh, we find the others this very bad country.
Speaker 3: We'll lay off that gun the next time. Don't shoot you understand?
Speaker 6: Why are you saying no?
Speaker 3: Shoot?
Speaker 6: You want bush muster.
Speaker 3: Sure, but I want it Alivebrisa Cristo.
Speaker 6: Senor Wonder, you tell me you want bush mustard, but you not say alive.
Speaker 3: You're getting two hundred dollars for it?
Speaker 6: Or dead man? What is two hundred dollars? Tomorrow we go back to Caracas.
Speaker 3: I'll make it five hundred centses I.
Speaker 6: Catch water snake, grattlesnake, any other kind, but I know catch bushmaster Sanchez.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a thousand.
Speaker 6: Dollars, will go back to Caracas.
Speaker 3: It cost me fifteen hundred American dollars. But three days later Sancezuz brought me the snake in a rubber bag. He was shaking so hard I thought for a moment the thing had struck him.
Speaker 6: One thing, you make sure, Senor Wonder, not turn him loose in Venezuela, because he know either one who catch him, and he know where I live.
Speaker 3: All right, sancez I'll keep an eye on him.
Speaker 6: Come then he know you pay me to catch him all the time he watch and wait. You know, forget that, Senor Warner, because he no forget not ever.
Speaker 3: Well, after going through all that trouble and danger and laying out fifteen hundred bucks, I wasn't going to let a pigheaded ship captain stop me at the last minute, at least not as long as the cables were still in operation. Between Laguira and Yorke morning, Captain would the boy at the hotel says, you want to see me?
Speaker 5: That's right, Christopher, and sit down, thank you. It seems you weren't willing to let matters tend the way we lift them yesterday.
Speaker 3: I'll sorry to go over your head, Captain Wood, but I had to. The museum sent me all the way down here for it, and I'm not going to be stopped by red tape. This will be the only live bush Master ever brought to the United States. Mmm.
Speaker 5: Yes, and if I had my waive it well, orders or orders. I got a cable from the head office this morning. All right, I suppose we talk about precautions.
Speaker 3: I'll handle it any way.
Speaker 5: You say, gotta have a stronger box that crate's too flimsy.
Speaker 3: What's stronger than it looks. And that wire screen on top it hold a wildcat. But anyway, I bought a heavy sea chest this morning. I will put the crate inside of it.
Speaker 5: Sounds all right.
Speaker 3: You got a lock on it, heavy padlock. It's fixed so that the lid can be propped open the crack without unlocking it. The snake's gotta have air.
Speaker 5: But in dirty weather that lid stay shut. I'll take no chances. Fair enough, I will keep the thing in my inside cabin where I sleep. I can have it in the baggage room, and nobody on boards to know about it.
Speaker 3: Whatever you say, captain, but we won't have any trouble. After all, it's only an animal. It doesn't have any magical powers.
Speaker 5: I saw a bushmaster in the zoo at Caracas once headed a glass cage to double walls. It had never moved, just lay there, look at your as long as you would insight.
Speaker 3: Gave a man the creeps. I didn't know they had a bushmaster at the Caracas zoo.
Speaker 5: They don't. Now found a glass broken one morning the snake night watchmen was dead. I never found out what happened.
Speaker 3: Well, the watchman must have broken the glass by accident. Some way away.
Speaker 5: They figured it. The glass was broken from the inside.
Speaker 2: H sail in four hours.
Speaker 3: We steamed north into the Caribbean, with perfect weather and a sea as smooth as an inland lake. The barometer dropped a little on the third day, but cleared up overnight and left nothing worse than a heavy swell. But in spite of the calm seas and the pleasant weather, I found myself feeling more and more often an ominous foreboding. I was developing an almost unnatural fear of that snake. Well, I stayed clear of the passengers, pretty much got the habit of dropping into Captain Wood's quarter several times a day. He kept the heavy box underneath his berth. I'd approach it quietly and shine my flashlight through the open crack. Never once could I catch that twelve foot devil asleep or even excited. He'd be lying there, half coiled, his head raised a little, staring out of those beady black eyes, waiting. It'd still be like that when I'd turn away to leave. Maybe that's what bothered me, A horrible and constant watchful waiting. What in the name of Heaven was he waiting for.
Speaker 4: Well, hello there, mister Warner.
Speaker 3: Oh how are you, Mother Willis?
Speaker 4: Ah, but you and the captain spend an awful lot of time around this cabin. I'm beginning to think that two of you must have some guilty secret.
Speaker 3: Oh, nothing like that, Mother Willis, I don't know about Captain would, but I well, I certainly don't have any guilty secret. Well, she's running quite a swell out there, mister Bowman.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a little heavy, all right, mister Warner. Yes, a storm passed through to the west of us yesterday. When the glass dropped, think it mist us then? Huh, yeah, that's what the mate figures. Sure stirred up some water.
Speaker 3: Though this will put half the passengers in their bunks, makes it great for my department.
Speaker 8: Two thirds of them will want a steward.
Speaker 2: To hold their heads.
Speaker 3: He'll keep Mother Willis so busy, she'll have wait. Look at the size of that wave.
Speaker 2: Huh, the great.
Speaker 3: Jehus of it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take it on the port bow hang.
Speaker 3: On, Well, that was a freak if there ever was one, not another wave in sight to see him like that.
Speaker 8: Sometimes, even in a calm sea, well, I gotta get below, mister Wanner. That water probably did some damage on the officer's deck.
Speaker 3: The eyes oppose it.
Speaker 7: What did you say?
Speaker 8: The wheel companion wave was open on the port side. Rich cabins must have taken a pretty bad smashing up. They're right below the.
Speaker 3: Here is something wrong, mister Warner. No, No, nothing at all, mister Woman, at least I hope not. I looked first for Captain Wood and couldn't find him. Of course, I know it was only one chance in the thousand, but the chances against that freak wave were one on a thousand and two. Well, I couldn't waste any more time, so I stumbled down the companionway in along the passage to the captain's cabin.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, come on in, mister Warner.
Speaker 3: Brother willis hi?
Speaker 4: Isn't this cabin a mess? Trying to get some of these things out to drive?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I just wanted to check where's that box that was under the captain's bunk?
Speaker 4: Shot on that.
Speaker 3: But where we didn't know. It was nearly dark when we met together. We get a charge.
Speaker 2: All the way around it.
Speaker 5: We've risked all the time we can. We've got to war on the passengers. Oh, we do it, Captain, Call them all together in the lounge. Oh, if we did anything like that, we'd be asking for a panic.
Speaker 8: We'll get one, whether we ask for it or not.
Speaker 5: Pick a few men and go through the cabin decks. Tell them individually inside their cabins, watch for any act that looks as though it might cause trouble, and we will keep an eye on them. Handle the crew with the same way. Right, Okay, as soon as you've finished all the deck offices and start searching again. Our only chance of preventing a riot is to find that damnable snake.
Speaker 3: The slow nightmare that followed grew worse. For the hour, none of us slept. All the ship's officers not on duty kept on with that endless search. Passengers locked themselves in their cabins, were huddled together in the lounges, knowing all the time that no spot on board could be called safe. Fear was a heavy fog, and the lungs of all of us and every light on the vessel burned throughout the night. Morning came and brought no relief. Terror and tension mounted by the hour.
Speaker 4: Then now, missus Crane, stop getting yourself or worked up and go back to your cabin. The horrid things probably crawled overboard anyway.
Speaker 3: You're just saying that you're paid to say it.
Speaker 2: You don't know.
Speaker 4: Nobody does now, Now everything's going to be all right. Or if you could only do something, if all of us could only get off the ship, they could umilicate it. Yes, that's what we've got to do.
Speaker 3: We've got to get off this Wait, and it's the moment he's gonna jump. Let me go, Let me go.
Speaker 2: Night's working with a woman.
Speaker 5: Get out down, Captain. Whatever you do, don't turn a loose.
Speaker 3: You never know when it might strike you.
Speaker 2: You can't put on a coat or move a chair without risking your life. Now something's gotta be done. It might be right here in this flower. Let's all right, mister Dave, you gotter quiet down, Take it easy, take it easy.
Speaker 3: Huh. You're a great officer. Why don't you do something about it?
Speaker 2: That thing might be crawling around here, right under our feet somewhere. I said, shut up, you're trying to start a panicing. I gotta right to talk.
Speaker 3: I don't want to die.
Speaker 2: Nobody's gonna tell you.
Speaker 3: The second night passed and morning came around again, a gray and rainy day, just as grim and tense dragged passed, and the night came down again, third night of the terror. Again, every light burned in the whole ship seethed in the throes of incipient panic, faced by a horror they'd never met on the sea before. Crew and officers alike were on the verge of revolt. Passengers sat huddled in a trance like stupor, ready to scream at the slightest unknown sound. At seven bells, I made my way forward to the chart room and found Captain Wood bent over a desk.
Speaker 5: Ah, Hello, Christopher, Come on in, sit down, sir.
Speaker 3: It's got to be somewhere, Captain Wood, it's got to be.
Speaker 5: I don't know. You could search this ship for six months and never touch all the places aboard. You can only hold out for two more days.
Speaker 3: We'll be in what's the home office?
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 5: Oh, here's the latest wireless from them? Keep quiet and keep coming? Else can we do? How is it on the decks?
Speaker 3: Pretty bad? Anything could happen.
Speaker 5: That's why I took the guns away from the men. One pistol shopping. We'd never rot on our hand.
Speaker 3: Oh the whole thing's my fault, Captain Wood. That's what I can't forget. Take it. It's only some way I could pay for it myself alone.
Speaker 5: No, I know how you feel, but it's no more your fault than mine or that man who asked you to bring the snake back alive. Nobody planned this. You'd better try and a little sleep. Sleep, mister Bowman made some coffee down the stairs Gally a while ago. Better go down, get yourself a cup, and then rest up for a couple of hours.
Speaker 3: Rest.
Speaker 5: I can't rest, Christopher, it's no good going.
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: You can't help anything. You just tumbled through a hatch, half asleep and breaking. Nick, go on and get some coffee. One way or another. We've got to hold out for two more days.
Speaker 3: The light was on in the stewards gallon. The coffee pot was standing on. The stove was still warm, so I didn't bother to heat it. I poured out a cup, carried it over, and set it on the porcelain tabletop in the center of the room. I started to light a cigarette. The door of the pan cupboard beneath the sink was standing slightly Ajar and I happened to glance down toward it. Out from the dark interior, the cupboard shone two glittering points of light two inches apart. I dropped a cigarette and moved slowly backward. I'd found the bushmaster. As I moved, the snake slid out of the cupboard in a single, sinuous glide and drew back into a loose coil on the galley floor, never taking his eyes off me. I moved slowly back, waiting any moment for that deadly, slithering strike. How had he known it was me? He'd stayed quiet when Bowman was here. How did he know it to pick the first time in three days when I didn't have a gun O. My hands touched the wall behind me, and I stopped. Only then I realized in terror what I'd done. The call button and the door were on the far side of the room. I backed into a dead end. I stared at the snake in fascination, expecting any moment the ripping slash of those poisoned fangs. The horrid coils tightened a little, and then were still again. Ten million years of evolution to produce this moment. Homo sapiens versus lacasis muta man against mute fate, and all the odds were on fate. I knew then that I was going to die. I could feel a sweat run down between the painted wall, and palms of my hands pressed against it. My skin crawled and twitched, and the pit of my stomach was as cold as ice. There was no sound but the rush of blood in my ears. The snake shifted again, drawing into a tighter coil, always tighter. Why the devil didn't get it over with? And then for just an instant his head veered away. Something moved over by the stove. I didn't dare turn to look at it. Slowly it moved out into my line of vision. There was a cat that strawnye cat Clara that Mother Willis had sneaked aboard in Leaguira. Its back was arched and every hair stood on the end. It moved, stiff legged, now walking in a half circle around the snake. The bushmaster shifted slowly and kept watching the cat. He tightened he was going to strike. At any second. He struck and missed. The cat was barely out of reach. Now she was walking back and forth again. She was asking to die missed again by a fraction of an inch. He was striking now without even going to a full coil, miss again and again, always missing for the barest margin. Each time the cat danced barely out of reach, and each time she conned with one precise spat of a dainty paw, bracing her skinny frame on three stiff legs. And then suddenly I realized what she was doing. The bushmaster was tiring, and one strike was just an instant slow, But in that split second, sharp claws raked across the evil hadn't ripped out both of the lidless eyes. That cat had deliberately blinded the snake.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: He didn't bother to coil now, but slid after in a fury, striking wildly and rapidly, always missing, and every strike was a little slower than the last one, until finally, as the snake's neck stretched out at the end of a strike, the cat made one leap and sank her razor sharp teeth just back of the ugly head, sank them in until they crunched bone with tooth and claw. She clung as the monster's snake flailed and last on the floor, striving to get those hideous boils around her, trying to break her hold, to shake off the slow and certain paralyzed death that gradually crept over him.
Speaker 7: And at last still his struggle forever. I took a deep breath.
Speaker 3: First in minutes, the cat lay on her side on the floor, panting, resting from the fight just over. And she had her right to rest. That mangy, brave, beautiful alley cat had just saved my life and maybe others as well. But as I turned toward the stove, I suddenly became very humble, and I knew all at once what a small thing a human being really is. I and others aboard were still alive, only by the merest accident. There were three reasons why that cat had fought and killed the world's deadliest snake, and those three reasons came tottering out from under the stove on shaky little legs, three kittens, with their eyes bright with wonder and their tails stiff as pokers. Up on the decks, hundreds of passengers were waiting for the news that the days and nights of terror were ended, and I could wait a little longer. I pulled open the doors of the cabinet found a can of milk, and then I dropped down on my knees on the floor of the galley.
Speaker 2: Escape is produced and directed by William N. Robson and Tonight Brought You a Shipment of Mute Fate by Martin Storm, adapted for radio by Les Crutchfield, with Jack Webb as Chris Warner, Raymond Lawrence as Captain Wood, and DJ Thompson as Mother Willis. The special musical score was conceived and conducted by cy Fure. Next week, at.
Speaker 1: This same time, when you're tired from a hard day at the office or leaning over a hot stove all day, when you want to get away from it all, CBS again offers you escape.
Speaker 2: Good night. Then until this same time next week, when CBS again brings you Escape. This is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.