Speaker 1: Welcome Just hand Away Tagalog Sermon podcast, your daily Joseph inspiring from heartfelt tagalog sermons from different characters and speakers all over the Philippines. We're hoping this podcast finds you in good shame and now here's your message.
Speaker 2: You're listening to a message from Victory. We hope it inspires you to honor God and make disciples in your community.
Speaker 3: We are starting a brand new series today and the title of our series is Redefined. This is the longest sermon that Jesus preached, and this is also going to be the longest series we're going to have in Victory. This is going to run for sixteen weeks and different topics that will be covered.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about.
Speaker 3: From loving your enemies to money, to anxiety to UH, marriage and divorce and on all of these things. Six ten different topics for the next six ten weeks. And it's really interesting as we study this sermon, we're calling this Redefined because if you read the sermon, you'll realize Jesus was actually redefining the way uh, the way we live our lives, and redefined means defining differently or defining again. You know, if you're a if you're a Christian and you're reading the Bible, I'm sure you came across this verse that says, if anyone is in Christ, he's a new creation. The old has gone and the new has come. So when you're in Christ, everything is made new. There's new master. Uh, there's you have You're given a new heart. That's why you have new desires. You have a desire for God. And now there's a new way of living. You know, if you every time you go to a different nation, traveler Ohio and travel you you'll instantly notice the difference in language or culture.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the smell immediately airport. You know, I still remember the.
Speaker 3: First time I I went out of the country for a two weeks mission trip to China.
Speaker 2: It was very different, but.
Speaker 3: I was so used to our culture and living here in the Philippines that when I went there, it was really a.
Speaker 2: Culture of a shock for me.
Speaker 3: If you go to Japan, you know, immediately you'll see people are so disciplined. Gab Robot, very young, line Lanza from the elevator to line end up going to the train station. They're they're so disciplined. Then you have no choice but to adopt so Hi, come in. Become conscious when you go to the US, the notice English grabbing a red passive. Hey, how's your day? But did processing? Processing? But next time, next time. So they're just so good okay, and you have to be prepared there the state where I stayed for three months because I I was sent there and to study for three months.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is a Nashville area hall.
Speaker 3: I really I noticed that people are so uh, they're so concerned about their personal space. I like, if you're going to enter a convenience store or a restaurant, mean, and the moment you passed by tela because you know, they're so used to it now. In the same way the moment you become a Christian, not only that you received salvation, but the Bible says you are uh, you're you became part of God's kingdom. We have a new God, we have a new Master, and and there's a different way of life and so and that's why what this series is all about. Okay, it's redefining because we're so used to living the life we used to live, and so now that we're Christians, we're reorienting and renewing our mind. So expect, really expect a culture clash and really a reversal of values. Nisantium is a really time value as a family and as a Filipino. But now that you're a Christian, you're realized sometimes there will be tensions because now that you are walking with Christ. So again, for the next sixteen weeks, we'll look, well, we're going to look at the sermon at the mount So if you have your Bible with you, were going to start in Matthew chapter five, and we're going to read from verse one to twelve. Seeing the crowds went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him, and then he opened his mouth and taught them, saying, Blessed or the poor and spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. And blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you, and utter all kinds of evil against you, and false persecute you, and other all kinds of evil evil against you falsely on my account verse twelve. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. Just to give you a little context about this, Jesus just started his ministry after fasting forty days in forteen nine see was tempted by the devil. And then after that he began his ministry. Immediately after, he started calling his first disciples and started ministering to great crowds of people, and people love to listen to him. They are it's so new to them, and he's preaching with authority, challenging the norms and the religious teachings of their time. Now in chapter five, verse one, there's this big crowd that's waiting for him, and so the Bible says he went to the mountain and started teaching them. And in the audience are Jesus disciples and people who are new in the faith. To go to abosat in Dta, you're just maybe one two years in the faith, walking with the Lord, and so we can relate to the audience of Jesus. Now, maybe you notice canina don'm bin a basapunatin you matt you chapter five. Really, at first, when I was studying this, it's really counter cultural. It's counter intuitive from the life that we know today. The sermon on the mouth will not make sense to us unless we understand the meaning of the word blessed, because but I'm blessed are those who more But that's not what we advocate today. Blessed are those who are poor in spirit. No, we don't say that. We consider the rich or the wealthy they are the blessed ones.
Speaker 2: But poor I don't think so.
Speaker 3: And so all these nine beatitudes, these are really not making sense unless we understand the word blessed. So the word blessed, if you look at the original meaning of this in Greek, it's from the Greek word macario's meaning happy.
Speaker 2: How many of you hear you want to be happy?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm yet to meet somebody who's dream in life is to have a miserable and sad life. A prayer your Lord and buhiku Sana yungang tele novella Lloyd Wi no every everyone I know, we we want to be happy. Here's what Blaces Pascal said is a noted Christian leader and writer who live in the sixteen hundred. They said, all men seek happiness. This is without exception, whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war and of others avoiding it is the same desire in both attended with different views. This is the motive of every action of every man. So we're we're all looking for happiness, and many times that's the motivation behind everything that we do. Why am I doing this? And that's because of the pursuit of happiness. I want to be happy. I want to make somebody happy. I want to make my wife happy. I want So it's the motivation and everything that we do. Another meaning of the word blessed or macarius is uninviable state worthy of congratulations. So again Paran, it doesn't make sense, Paran. If you're blessed, you're somebody who ought to be congratulated, just like Stephen Curry, who is now who landed the biggest offer in the NBA congratulated by Lebron.
Speaker 2: Again. But contract congratulations.
Speaker 3: Now, that's the meaning of macarios, an inward contentedness that is not affected by circumstances. Now, during the time of Jesus, every time they word they use the word blessed, Normally they think of the gods, the Greek gods, or the dead.
Speaker 2: Who's considered.
Speaker 3: Must blessed by Yumanhapatai, I know, because there's no bad things that's ever going to happen to them again. So every time the word blessed is mentioned, they will assign that to the Greek gods, to the dead, or to the super rich during their time.
Speaker 2: And you cannot consider nil na blessed. Okay, people who are.
Speaker 3: Considered to be immune from problems and all the challenges that normal people experience. You know, if you if you search an Instagram the hashtag blessed, you'll find out there are seventy four million hashtag right no blessed, say Instagram brinousmo. Most of it really pertains to either a promotion, material or financials. It's referring to healing or improvement in health or a place that they visited, or it refers to a to a happening or people. So normally and yumaa, if it's a being, I'm blessed, dam parking, a God blessed or Nita and be praying blessed in church. So normally it refers to a good thing happening, or a good thing that happened to someone.
Speaker 2: Now that's our idea of blessed.
Speaker 3: No wonder, considering the meaning of blessed or Machario's a happiness that is not based on external and the circumstance, no wonder. If this is our definition of blessed, something that is based on something that is temporal or external, then we will not be happy and we will not consider ourselves blessed because these things come and go, like healing. You know, we pray for healing, and healing is good. I'm not saying these things are not good. It's good to have these things. These are blessings, but these are not the primary basis in order for us to say that someone is blessed.
Speaker 2: According to the teaching of Jesus, the beatitudes, these are not.
Speaker 3: So whether you have this or not, you can be a blessed person, because the idea of blessed is something that is not based on external or temporal again, like.
Speaker 2: Healing the bye.
Speaker 3: If you pray for healing tapas gumlinka pah, blessed, but you know that's temporal because you will get sick again and eventually we'll all die, So that's not really the greatest blessing of all. I was talking to my daughter. I guess two days ago we are having this conversation. She was invited to a birthday party and they stayed in Kazana for almost the entire day. Man, I don't know, nine ten am and then have to pick her up num four pm because I have a victory group six o'clock, so.
Speaker 2: I have to go there.
Speaker 3: And when I went there, I saw her said, pinnaup, how is Kitzena? And she was not happy, She's sad. She's complaining a lot of about a lot of things. And I just knew that it was a discipleship moment. So I stopped the car and talked to her and I said, why are you? Why are you complaining? And so after talking to her and trying to draw out what and help her process what she's feeling. She said, because every time it's about to end, like this is not just about kidzying. I've noticed this several times already, And she said, because every time it's about to end, I feel sad.
Speaker 2: And it makes sense, but I.
Speaker 3: Have to explain to her that, okay, but you have to understand that it's not always going to be fun. And if you don't learn that today, you're going to grow up frustrated and disappointed because it's not.
Speaker 2: Always going to be fun. But you can always be grateful.
Speaker 3: When you understand that you're blessed and you have a lot of things to be thankful about. So I have to teach her that and talk to her. In Dephesions, chapter one, verse three, it says, blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places. You know, one thing we need to understand about being blessed is that it doesn't start with a happening or a promotion.
Speaker 2: It starts with a right relationship with God. You know. The first beatitude it says, blessed or the poor in spirit? What does it mean? Poor in spirit.
Speaker 3: I like what Alexander MacLaren said about this. He said, to be poor in spirit is to be an inmost reality, conscious of need, of emptiness, of dependence on God, of the merit. The true estimate of self as blind, evil, weak is intended so that what it means to be poor in the spirit, it means realizing your real spiritual condition and the moment that you are morally bankrupt, and in spite of having these things, without Christ in your life and without your sins being forgiven, you basically have nothing. The Bible says, apart from Christ, you're nothing.
Speaker 2: We have nothing. And the Bible says, the moment.
Speaker 3: We realize that, the moment our eyes are opened, and the moment we humble ourselves and say, Lord, apart from you, all of these things it's worthless. The Bible says, you're blessed. Congratulation, because now you're going to encounter God and you're going to experience what it really means to be blessed, because blessed doesn't start with having a material thing. It starts with a right relationship with God. So blessed, sabimo, you're blessed. So whether you get what you're praying for or not, doesn't matter. You're still blessed. Whether you receive your healing or not, You're still blessed. You know, the Bible says we will not receive in this life all that God has promised for us. Some of it were going to receive here, but some of it were not going to.
Speaker 2: Receive in this life. But it's okay because Jesus is going to return and he promised to restore all things.
Speaker 3: And you may not receive what God promised in this life. For sure, when he returns, God will fulfill all his promises to you and me, and in the end he will still be proven faithful. So we are blessed because our hope is not just in this life, but in the life to come. Another observation about the realtitude is that one of the most important but overlooked details about the Sermon on the Mount is where Jesus gave the sermon. There is a reason for including that detail. Where Jesus preached the sermon on the mount. It can happen in the temple, but Jesus gave this sermon on the mount, and he was talking about the law. That's why he kept on referring. If you read chapter five six seven, you would notice that Jesus would say, you know that it's written, So he's referring to the law that Moses gave, and then he will redefine its meaning or upgrade the people's understanding of it. So this is the similarity between Jesus giving the Sermon on the Mount and Moses giving the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai is that they gave.
Speaker 2: The law after they were saved and delivery.
Speaker 3: Moses gave the Ten Commandments after God delivered the Israelites from Egypt from four hundred years of slavery, and when they crossed the Red Sea, the Bible says, that's baptism. And I would understand, why can you imagine one two million Israelites crossing the Red Sea. Can you imagine Moses conmnanual baptism.
Speaker 2: Every day.
Speaker 3: So the Bible says, when they crossed the Red Sea, that's a picture of baptism. So when they reached this point of Moses giving the law the Ten Commandments, they were delivered their saved. So the law is not for them to obey so that they will be saved. No, I will live that way because I am saved. God was starting a new nation. They were so used to the life that they lived in Egypt, having stayed there for four hundred years. Etian culture in a young way off La now that they are in God and God is starting a new nation under God.
Speaker 2: God is to give them the Ten Commandments so they would know how to live as the people of God.
Speaker 3: So in the same way the sermon on the on the mouth, it's these are things that we ought to live, not so God will bless us. No, we're already blessed. That's why we're going to live this way. In fact, understanding that you are blessed will enable you to live this way. Be guess having Lord so parent double meaning you know you're blessed. If you continually do this, you will continue you will be blessed in a greater way. But also you will be able to live this way because you're blessed. You can be hungry and thirsty for righteousness because you're given a new heart. You can be meek, humble and not asserting your yourself over others because you know God has already given you all things, and God promised to exalt the humble. So in the Goohila, I am a manipulate I don't know. I don't need to force myself.
Speaker 2: I can be meek.
Speaker 3: We can be merciful because we had been shown mercy. How many of you here you know you receive mercy from God? And how many of you here you need mercy every day. That's why the Bible says it's mercy, it's you every morning. That's why I can be merciful to others. That's why I can extend mercy even to those who have wronged me. You know why, because I'm a recipient of God's mercy, and the Bible says, be merciful the way God has been merciful to you.
Speaker 2: We can be pure in heart, blessed or the pure in heart. We can be pure in heart.
Speaker 3: We can live a life of integrity, live pure and holy because we're no longer slaved to sin because of what Christ is done for us.
Speaker 2: Because we have Christ in us, we can live in freedom. We can follow Christ. We can live for him. We can be pure in heart. We can be peacemaker.
Speaker 3: Because God did not only save you and me, he gave us a ministry of reconciliation.
Speaker 2: We can rejoice and be glad.
Speaker 3: Even when we are persecuted for our faith, because the Bible says the life we live, we no longer live for ourselves, but we live for.
Speaker 2: God, who gave his life for us. God Lord Nay well as China. He gave everything. He gave his life.
Speaker 3: And because of what Christ has done, I can also surrender all. I can also give my all because of what Christ is done for us. So I am blessed because I have Christ. So whether God Is have answered my prayer requests already or not, I'm still blessed because I have Christ.
Speaker 2: And because I am blessed, I can live this way, you know.
Speaker 3: As I end, and verse twelve the summary of the Beatitudes, it says, rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven.
Speaker 2: For great is your reward in heaven. You know.
Speaker 3: I my rest day is Monday Sunday because it may work now, so Mondays are our day off, and I always look forward to Monday.
Speaker 2: That the helicong hashtag I love Monday.
Speaker 3: And sometimes you know, you know, we will work Tuesday to Sunday, maybe weeksta like I saw loaded. Let me you'll start it early and then you'll go home twelve. There's just sometimes it's just crazy. But you know, because I know there's Monday, I can just work with all my heart. May nely look forward to the balid three days, you know, Monday five pm. You mayly look forward God. I mean, if you know, if you're looking forward to something, it motivates you to endure al Am called temporary six days. On the seventh day, God rested, and I will rest.
Speaker 2: So it's okay, what are you waiting for? What are you hoping for?
Speaker 3: The Bible says we can live this way because great is our reward in heaven. My reward is not just in this life. My reward is Christ himself when he returns. I know that everything in this world is just temporary, success or failure temporary. There's something that is eternal, and that's what I look forward to. And so if you have that view, the Bible says, you're blessed. No, there's this verse in the Bible, my Life Versus. When I was in college, it says whoever loses his life for his sake will find it, but whoever keep his life will lose it. Before I cannot understand what that means, but now I understand if I lose the life I know for him, in the process, I will find the life He desires for me. You know, there's this life that I know. I've been holding onto this, I'm not willing to let go. I've been embracing this. I'm not sure if there's something better than this, But the Bible says, if you lose your life, you will find it. And sometimes there are Christians that, even though they are in christ, they are not experiencing the life that God wants for them.
Speaker 2: You know why, because they are not willing to let go the life that they used to live and the life that they know.
Speaker 3: So my encouragement for us is to lose that old life and embrace the life that God is offering to us. Amen, Lord, thank you for renewing our mind today, and thank you for helping us understand what it means to be blessed, what it means to really have joy and happiness that is not temporary, not temporal, but eternal. Lord, thank you for helping us understand that we are blessed not because we have a big salary, or family, wife, or kids, or good health. No, we are blessed because we have You. And that's the reason we are bless. So Lord, I pray Lord, that you will change the way we see life and the way we see the world. I pray more and more as we walk with you, we will acquire your values, your mindset, your word. I pray we will see life the way you see it. And I pray we will align our heart and our life to you. So thank you, Lord, establish us in your word. Let your word search our heart even today, if there's anything in our heart, if there's any idol, anything or anyone where we are basing our happiness, if there's anything or anyone other than you that will look to for meaning, significance, value, or worth, I pray that only you will be our source, will be our God, and will be a reason for living.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lord Lord. I pray for those of us here.
Speaker 3: Today who don't yet have a relationship with you, I pray today you will open.
Speaker 2: Their eyes and help them realize that they are poor in spirit. They may be rich in terms of money or material things, but apart from You, they have nothing.
Speaker 3: And I pray that that would cost them to humble themselves before you, to hunger and thirst for righteousness, to mourn and be grieve about their sins and turn to you. And Lord, you said, that's how we become blessed. So thank you Lord for this afternoon. Thank you for your word.
Speaker 2: We honor you, God, Lord, We declare you are worthy to be worship and you are worthy to be praise. Thank you for listening to this message. For more messages like these from other Victory Centers, please visit Victory dot org, dot pH, Slash resources, Slash Podcasts. Thank you for listening. We hope that you enjoyed today's episode. Don't forget to share and subscribe to this podcast for more. God bless you all.