Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. We have so much to get to today. I mean, it's a great mix of real news and good news.
Speaker 2: We are kind of on tariff watch right now.
Speaker 1: President Trump likely to announce some sort of compromise deals with Mexico and Canada soon.
Speaker 2: This after the victory lap.
Speaker 1: He took the longest address ever for a president before Congress. I turned it off a little after seven thirty. I gave it a solid ninety minutes and then wanted to check out Paradise because Amy King has recommended it, Deborah Mark has recommended it. One of a couple people on Instagram friends of the show, Doreen, one of them recommended it as well. So I checked it out and you're all right, it's really good. It's really well acted. I just watched a couple episodes. It is a what you watch on Wednesday, So let us know what you are watching at Gary and Shane and on Twitter. On Facebook, you can use the talk back feature. If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, just use that microphone feature. But yes, we are awaiting some sort of compromise when it comes to those tariffs. A president did address last night. They say that a compromise could come as soon as today. Jd Vance has a trip to the border. Now, I don't think that Trump would give jd Vance the honors of announcing this at the border, but the announcement could come, and then jd Vance's comments at the border could come. Wouldn't that be a nice little dovetail announcement there or appearance I guess I should say of him being at the border. The stock market did close lower do to the tariffs. Right now we're looking at the Dow up one oh seven. So some hopes on Wall Street, but more importantly for us here locally, where are we with the egltz? We go to our eglet desk. Amy King has been manning the egal desk and this is a nest by the way, that we've been tracking thousands of people, not just bird watchers, but it's made bird watchers out of people. Since twenty twelve, a third grader discovered this nest in the Big Bear area, and the first bald eagle chick to hatch in the Big Bear Valley happened shortly after, and then we got the live cameras.
Speaker 2: That was twenty twelve. Those thirteen years ago.
Speaker 1: We've been following Jackie and Shadow, and for almost three years Jackie and Shadow, none of their eggs have hatched for these two beautiful bald eagles until now, Amy, what is the latest.
Speaker 2: Well, we have two eaglets.
Speaker 3: They call them bubbleheads right now because their necks are so weak that they just bobble around and they're hysterical to watch because mom is feeding them now and so she gives them little tiny bits of I think there's a dead bird up in the nest right now, but she also feeds and fish and stuff, and they peck at each other, so they're already fighting like little siblings do. And it's absolutely one of the cutest things you've ever seen. Both of the eagles are on the nest right now, and I and sixty five other sixty five thousand other people are watching the Big Bear Eagle camp. When I got in this morning, I just turned it on because I'm obsessed, like so many of us here at the station, and there was still like, I don't know, twenty thousand people watching, And that was at three p thirty in the morning, so it is it's kind of must see TV. But both of the eaglets are doing well. They're known as Chicks one and two right now because they don't have names, but they will get names. And here's how they do it. The public is invited to suggest names and then third graders in Big Bear get to vote on it and pick the winning names.
Speaker 1: Wow, what kind of fun that is? So where do we submit our ideas for names?
Speaker 3: I would go to the Friends of Big Bear Valley site their website and see how to do it there. But it's a little early because they're just a day or two old. We are still watching to see if that third egg is going to hatch. So the little eaglitz are sitting next to their brother or sister who's still encased in an eggshell, and we're hoping that that one is going to hatch too.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 3: But because there was like a week between the time the first egg was laid and the time the second egg was laid, this little guy is still viable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as of last night the egg became old enough to start pipping.
Speaker 2: But let's I mean, let's be grateful for what we have. We got two.
Speaker 1: We've got two beautiful, big bobble headed baby eglits, and that is very exciting. We have the live cam on our page. If you just google Gary Shannon Kfi and click that first thing that comes up probably is our web page and you can find the live cam posted there as well. I love that Jackie and Shadow ps And we talked about it earlier in the week about shared household duties, about you know, you got to watch your football game Amy and didn't have to do the dishes, and how important it is to a relationship to have those. Jackie and Shadow seem to be a really good example of two partners that share the duties when it comes to like rolling over those eggs and taking care of the nests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even nesting time, when Jackie will let Shadow take over, he's right there and ready to sit on the eggs and incubate him. And when I was watching last night too, and she they because they have the infrared camera so you can see him at night, and she started screaming about something and he was there within about fifteen seconds. So he's always close and it's so cool to see them working together.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I love it. We are going to be so devastated. Don't even I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it's just it's like one of the reasons I don't have a pet, because I can't handle it when we lose pets, it's very difficult.
Speaker 2: It's the artist thing.
Speaker 1: It's like it's the way that the pets look to you to care for them and everything.
Speaker 2: And we are so invested with Jackie.
Speaker 1: In Shadow, which is, let's just enjoy what's going on right now and enjoy their baby Egletz and we'll see what happens with the third egg. It was going to be three to five days when the cracks started happening Monday Sunday until Monday, and we knew that these birds were ready to come out, and they did, so we'll stay on top of them. Uh okay, well we are on tariff watch and we'll get to that. It was the longest address last night for a president before Congress, and.
Speaker 2: Let's just get right to it.
Speaker 1: I mean, the President hit the nail on the head when he talked about his relationship with Democrats.
Speaker 4: This is my fifth such speech to Congress, and once again I look at the Democrats in front of me and I realize there is absolutely nothing I can say to make them happy or to make them stand or smile or applaud Nothing I can do. I could find a cure to the most devastating disease, a disease that would wipe out entire nations, or announce the answers to the greatest economy and history, or the stoppage of crime to the lowest levels ever recorded. And these people sitting right here will not clap, will not stand, and certainly will not cheer for these astronomical achievements. They won't do it, no matter what five times I've been up here. It's very sad, and it just shouldn't be this way.
Speaker 1: So if you didn't watch it, or if you're not familiar, all the Democrats are to the right of him, sitting in front of him in the rows to the right, and all the Republicans to the left, And it is quite the juxtaposition. The left, the entire panel of people standing up and cheering and hoot and hollering and smiling, and the exact opposite on the opposite side of the aisle, there were Democrats that just remain seated, with firm lines of their mouth forming firm lines throughout the entire thing. They held up small signs, black circular signs in white letters. Some of them said musk steals. Other signs read false, and they would hold these signs up. They would not cheer. At one point Al Green was standing and he would not sit down, and he was escorted out. Now there was a moment I thought the best line for the President of the night came when he was talking about on all of the old people, not old people, I should say dead people who remain on the government dole.
Speaker 4: Three point five million people from ages one one hundred and forty to one hundred and forty one, and money is being paid to many of them. And we're searching right now. In fact, Pam, good luck, good luck, you're going to find it. But a lot of money is paid out to people because it just keeps getting paid and paid, and nobody does and it really hurts social security and hurts our country. One point three million people from ages one hundred and fifty to one hundred and fifty nine and over one hundred and thirty thousand people according to the Social Security databases, our age over one hundred and sixty years old. We have a healthier country than I thought Bobby.
Speaker 1: I mean, I thought that was his best line. Like him or hate him, I mean that was an entertaining line. And hearkening back to calling him Bobby, and then I think he went on to say something or maybe it was later about oh, the Democrats won't even apply to Kennedy. That's how you know things are bad. Just trying to lighten the mood in the room to people who do not want the mood lightened, that is for sure. Tariffs did get talked about. He said it something to the effect of and I'm or phrasing that it's going to be an inconvenience for a little while and we can handle it now. When you ask the experts about these tariffs on China and Mexico and Canada, they say that we will expect, or we should expect, to pay an extra twenty cents per gallon of gas, an additional fifty cents for each avocado, and thousands more on new vehicles if you're in the market. John Luciano is owner of Straight Volkswagen and Amarillo, Texas. He says tomorrow's cars are going to be more expensive. He says, I'm not sure if the consumer has caught on yet how much cars are going to going to be going up, but it's going to be big. The polling is not great when it comes to optimism on the economy. There was that post election peak when it came to optimism, but now, according to the polls, Americans are feeling worse about their finances inflation in particular, than they were a few months ago. And a lot of these uncertainties are related to the tariffs themselves, just fresh pulling out this week, since these things have been rumored to go into effect and have since. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnik said that the administration may roll back some of these measures against Canada and Mexico as early as today. He went on Fox Business said I think Trump is going to work something out with them. Trump touched on this last night, as I mentioned, he said, in April, you're going to see more action when it comes to what America demands or what it's willing to give to other countries, kind of insinuating that we have been fleeced as a country by other places globally when it comes to imports and exports. Here's what he said about what's going to go down in April.
Speaker 4: April second, reciprocal tariffs kick in, and whatever they tariff us other countries, we will tariff them. That's reciprocal back and forth. Whatever they tax us, we will tax them. If they do non monetary tarts to keep us out of their market, then we will do non monetary barriers to keep them out of our market.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of that too.
Speaker 4: They don't even allow us in their market. We will take in trillions and trillions of dollars and create jobs like we have never seen before. I did it with China, and I did it with others, and the Biden administration couldn't do anything about it because there was so much money. They couldn't do anything about it. We have been ripped off for decades by nearly every country on Earth, and we will not let that happen any.
Speaker 1: Longer, can we? I think we let's just come to an agreement. Let's just let it go with Joe Biden. Yea, Let's let the health updates go with the pope. Let him rest, Let Joe Biden rest. He took a lot of shots against Joe Biden last night, unnecessarily, so it was a victory lap, especially after Zelenski came out and said that he regrets what happened in the Oval office on Friday. It was a victory lap for Trump last night and he took it. And this may be a really crass thing to say about this news item, but you've heard about the officials in La County and the Probation Department thirty of officers and guided on criminal charges. This is an into an investigation about allegations they allowed, in some cases, encouraged gladiator fights between teenagers inside the county's juvenile halls.
Speaker 2: You know you'll watch that movie too.
Speaker 1: The fact that the probation officers are arranging organized fights between juvenile hall attendees to make it nice, that is crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's very serious.
Speaker 1: Obviously, counts of child abuse, conspiracy, battery, it's awful. We'll get into all the details, but you know there's going to be a movie made about that.
Speaker 2: You just know it.
Speaker 1: The IRS is getting ready to cut as much as half of its workforce. Multiple reports that this is indeed the case, part of the administration's efforts to cut down on the federal workers. The IRS has around one hundred thousand employees. I thought that was low, only one hundred thousand employees has not yet finalized the exact amount that it will let go. They say that they're going to be submitting their plans to the White House in the coming weeks, but that it will not impact the processing of tax returns.
Speaker 2: Now, explain that one to me.
Speaker 1: You're going to get rid of half of the IRS and it not impact tax returns. That's either a boldfaced lie or proof that that is a bloated agency. If business as usual can continue for the IRS after it's hacked into half, that is proof that this cutting of the government is working, at least in this department. But my money's on there just lying. They're trying to say, continue to fill out your tax returns, get it all in on time, do what you're supposed to do, because we're going to be on top of things. How could you still be on top of things, at least to the extent that you were before you were half the size. The Lieutenant Governor of Texas is making a name for himself, or trying to. Dan Patrick is the name he wants to rename the New York Strip Steak after Texas. This is an odd mountain to die on, or at least to stand on for a bit of time. Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick there in Texas says that there will be a resolution to the Texas Senate to officially change the name to the Texas Strip to better market Texas Beef. He says this will benefit the state's economy. He said, just because a New York restaurant named Texas Beef a New York strip back in the nineteenth century doesn't mean we need to keep doing that. See taking a page out of the Gulf of America. He said that liberal New York should not get the credit for our hard working ranchers in Texas. The owner of the famous Delmonico's in Lower Manhattan responded, saying, it's the New York Strip and it'll always be the New York Strip.
Speaker 2: I can't do the accent, but you could hear the accent.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got some rain here today.
Speaker 1: It's going to rain at least the forecasts where we are here in Burbank the majority of the day and into the tomorrow, and then we get a break for the weekend and then more rain. Before we get into the details of that, Does it make you feel better when I say that the eastern half of our country is getting slammed with real weather because I don't know it's February. Powerful winds, blizzard conditions, thunderstorms. East Coast is going to get hit. South is the Carolinas and Virginia. They're going to see real tornadoes, not just the pretend ones that they threaten us here with tornadoes in tents. Winds today, and then you've got heavy snowfall and blizzard warnings in Iowa, Minnesota, and Michigan.
Speaker 2: They say that's.
Speaker 1: All going to calm down a little bit by tomorrow for those places, but strong winds will still persist. Yes, we will get some rain today. Late today is when the bulk of the rain is supposed to hit and last through early Friday. For La County. Next week, it seems like is when we're going to get hit the hardest this area. We had one of the driest starts to the raining rainy season in recorded history, which led to some of the issues we saw with the fires and the palisades. And they're in Alta Dina. So we will get some strong winds with the rain. They say gus could peak between thirty and fifty miles per hour Thursday. Thunderstorms they say may hit tonight through Thursday as well, and yes, we are on guard as per usual when it comes to debris flow and damage for the Palisades and they eat and fire burn areas. But we will get a break with sunshine Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so yes, we can have our seasonal effective disorder for a while, but it will go away before it comes back all next week. We had a story that we didn't get to yesterday, and Amy King brought it up to me again today because I don't know why people think of swearing when they talk to me, but they do. And I've read research about this before that swearing actually can help you get through pain or stress. That it is this release. It's actually science proven to be this release. And there's more research that we're going to tell you about later today.
Speaker 2: But we want to know what your favorite swear word is.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding that I'm even going to pump the brakes on that that's one of those things that Gary would definitely stop me from doing, so that we don't have people using the talkback feach just swearing at.
Speaker 2: Us all day.
Speaker 1: Secretly, I hope that happens, but I won't know because I don't check that stuff. So Gary, I'll come back just to a slew of mfs and all the things that you want to leave for him. But as Amy brought up for me today, and we'll get to the story coming up later in the show, fake swear words don't work. Philip Rivers comes to my mind as the person who used the most fake swear words ever. Shoot, darn, heck, golly dog, gamet. I don't want to swear to go through all of them, because I might accidentally do so. But there are people who swear quite a deal with never swearing. He's one of those people. But Amy pointed out in this latest research that those phony swear words do not have the physical benefits that actual swear words have for us.
Speaker 2: So we will get into that.
Speaker 1: You may be thinking you're doing something good for yourself by avoiding the real bad words.
Speaker 2: You're not. It's actually bad for your health and you don't want that. And you know what else?
Speaker 3: Huh will Cole Schreiber then sent me a note and said, I'm guessing you can handle pain pretty well. Huh Oh, I don't think I've heard you swear, Amy, I just sit in different rooms out of all the years that we've worked together.
Speaker 2: I would like that version of Amy King.
Speaker 1: You know what I'd like is the Amy King Amy does the Way's voice.
Speaker 2: If I could.
Speaker 1: Get Amy King on Ways to swear at me while we're both in traffic together.
Speaker 2: I would pay for that service.
Speaker 3: Because as it stands now, it's just you swearing at.
Speaker 2: Me right traffic.
Speaker 1: But if it was Amy King's voice saying, take a right here, f this MFN traffic, go around it this way, screw these a holes like I am all in, I would pay probably seven ninety nine a month for that, just to hit a price point.
Speaker 2: I think I think we're onto something. Amy.
Speaker 1: I kind of upset we did this on the air and somebody's gonna steal the idea a swearing traffic app voice with the beautiful like a beautiful voice like Amy swearing with you.
Speaker 2: God so good.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got viral video to tell you about today's viral video, and you're gonna love it because it's about a penguin, and it's about a penguin painting, and who can hate that?
Speaker 2: The paperwork fallout.
Speaker 1: From last night's addressed to Congress by the President has begun. You saw Texas Democrat Al Green refuse to sit down yelling at Trump before he was escorted out. Today, Republicans are circulating censure resolution papers against him. Also last night, Trump referred to Elon Musk as the head of the Department of Government Efficiency, despite the administration naming someone else as the administrator of DOGE.
Speaker 2: Of course, that.
Speaker 1: Has prompted new evidence to be submitted on behalf of plaintiffs suing over what they say is confusion about doge's role within the federal government. Let no piece of any sort of policy go unlitigated. That's got to be some sort of rule somewhere. So we will stay on top of all of the news coming out of Washington. We are awaiting some sort of potential compromise when it comes to the tariffs with Canada and Mexico. We know that jad Vance has a trip planned to the border with Mexico today, so maybe that is in conjunction with something planned by the administration.
Speaker 2: We'll find out.
Speaker 1: Lebron James now the first player in NBA history to score combined fifty thousand points in the regular season and the playoffs. I'm hearing a lot of Lebron hate around lately. On sports radio just in the building. Not really sure what it's all about. It's the hating the greatness, the greatest that endures. I don't know, all right. Marlee the Penguin, this is something that is not controversial. Have you heard about Marlee the penguin. Well, Marley is a penguin named after Bob Marley. How cool is that? I mean, right off the right out of the gate. Marley is uncontroversial, named after Bob Marley. Twice a week, Marley the Penguin hops into an art room at what's called Moody Gardens. It's in Galveston, Texas. And Marley, this little tiny penguin. Penguins are smaller than you think they are, at least that I thought they were. Marlee is about a foot tall, weighs about seven pounds, so that's the size of Marlee. And Marley hops onto this sponge, the square of a sponge. It's soaked with this non toxic paint blues and greens or yellows or purples, and Marley coats the bottom of her feet by stepping around on this sponge. Then she walks a couple times across an eight x ten canvas with the help of a biologist who showers her with praise. The biologist will.
Speaker 2: Her name is Janey.
Speaker 1: Janey will pat little Marlee on the bottom, and Marlee will shake its tail and flutter its little arms or flaps or wings. Listen, I'm not a zoologist anyways. And then the penguin walks across this canvas and art is made. You've got her little penguin prints of the blue or the green or what have you. Now, that's all fun and games. But the excitement is when Marley finishes walking across a canvas and.
Speaker 2: Is so stoked about what she has just done.
Speaker 1: She looks back at the canvas, she shakes her little penguin ass and she flaps her little wings, and she is so pleased by her artwork.
Speaker 2: It is the cutest thing. Why and how is it so cute? I do not know.
Speaker 1: But the video has gotten sixty million views, more than six million likes, more than thirty two thousand comments in the comments section, and the biologist Jane tells her, tells little Marley, you are just the best artist in the world. And Marley seems to understand when Jane says that people are watching this as a sort of zen to get through the workday. One of the comments reads, why am I not doing this with my life? What am I doing with my life? And why is it not this? Someone else chiming? In my guidance counselor never mentioned this as a job option, of course, speaking about Janey the penguin biologist, who gets to just pass little Marley's bottom and watch Marley create art. This is a penguin that has her own TikTok page, as you can imagine, who doesn't. If Joe in accounting has his own TikTok page for his feet, why wouldn't Marley the penguin have her own TikTok page. She hatched in Montreal twenty one years ago, and she was sent with her brother Hendrix. I mean, who named these penguins? I want to meet that person, Marley and Hendrix. My goodness makes me want to go to the Monterey Festival. From nineteen sixty seven, Marlee and Hendrix were sent to the Moody Gardens in Texas, about six months old. Now Moody Gardens is a home to a lot of penguins, one hundred and seven of them King penguins, Macaroni penguins, Rock copper penguins like Marley. What's a macaroni penguin anyway, So she was kind of nothing special, really, she was like one of all the other penguins. Rock Coppers, by the way, are one of the smallest of the penguin species, and they're known for their spiked black head feathers. She does have like a spiky hairstyle, bright yellow eyebrows, and in the wild they live on rocky shorelines for about ten or fifteen years, but in captivity they can live into their thirties.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Female rock coppers usually lay two eggs a year, but Marley seems to be a career gal. She's never laid an egg, but she has painted a lot of pictures. These pictures sell like hotcakes within hours through the Moody Gardens gift shop.
Speaker 2: Right now, they go for about fifty bucks.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine what these things are going to skyrocket too? Marley's made about two hundred of them.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: If you want to escape your Wednesday work day, just google Marley the Penguin, click on the video and watch Marlee dancing. I've only looked at it seven or eight times, and you can decide whether that's a lie or not. Also a reminder that we do have the eglet live cam up on our web page at Gary and Shannon so we can make your day go quicker in that regard to we're all about our feathered friends?
Speaker 2: Are we not? All right? More?
Speaker 1: Coming up, We've got a bunch of local news to catch you up with the gladiator fights and the juvenile halls in La County, California.
Speaker 2: Test scores.
Speaker 1: There is a powers that be that want to make us feel better about our failing test scores and what they're doing about that, to which I argue, should we feel better about them?
Speaker 2: Or should we just fix them?
Speaker 1: We'll get into all that coming up next right here on Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 1: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.