Speaker 1: Welcome to Moving Conversations, a podcast for movement professionals, by movement professionals. If you coach, train, or teach movement, pilates or fitness, then this podcast is for you. With more than sixty years of experience and fitness and pilates, your host, Brian Ritchie and Norse Saint John explored to science of human movement, diving deep into the backs, myths, and common misconceptions, hoping to spark thought and conversation about how we view fitness and movement. Now let's jump into Moving Conversations and welcome back to Moving Conversations. I'm Brian Richie joining me as always ignors and John more in Nora. How you doing very well?
Speaker 2: Brian. I have to say it is beautiful weather here, and I live in California. One of the wonderful things about the Sacramento Valley where I live is that the food is amazing. And I have a next door neighbor who has a peach tree. Oh and she just brought me over this bag of like perfectly ripe peaches and they are just the like the best peaches I have had in years. They're not rotten like usually peaches you get them, and they are they never ripen or they rot. And there's a rare one that fits off. It's ripe and ready and it's good. Doesn't happen that way, but every single one of these has been perfect. So I'm having a peachy summer.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that's one of my Grapes and peaches are two of my biggest weaknesses for fruits. I literally lived on peaches and we had a tangerine tree down the street one entire summer. That's pretty much all I ate during the day were those two fruits because I could get them and they weren't that expensive back then. You're right now hard to find ones that are just right, and you just have to sort of go with whatever they've got and hopefully, like a banana, you know, you sort of you buy them one day and they're green and wait two days and suddenly they're no longer any good. So well you kind of have to time it just right. Well, they wonder if.
Speaker 2: They ripen without rotting, like sometimes they just go bad. They go from hard to bed, like they didn't even go through a moment of goodness in there. But again, she little is across the street. She brought the bag. I'm like, oh, this look good, and then then I opened up the bag and like.
Speaker 1: The smell that smell, Oh my god, best thing ever. Nice. Nice. Well, today we have a topic. Before we get to it, I want to remind you please hit that like and subscribe button. We really appreciate it. Not only like and subscribe, I mean about thirty five percent of the people who listen to us regularly are actually subscribed. So do us a favor. Hepe the subscribe. It really helps really, really really does help us out. If you see us on Instagram on Moving Convos, hit that like repost share that way, this gets out to more people. If you see it on Instagram under my name Brian Richie, please do the same. We really appreciate it. We're getting a little bit more traction here and there, and after we're started our fourth year, we're really getting some decent traction. It's kind of nice and whatnot. So hopefully you guys have been doing your part and sharing and whatnot, and we really appreciate every single one of you. If you want to get in touch with us or have any topic suggestions, do a through email Moving Combos at gmail dot com. The best Waiting in touch with us. So today's topic. This came up this week because I think I mentioned before a couple months ago I had a surgical procedure, and guess what, I had another one on Monday, this one on my foot infection removed the big toenail. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Not going into details, that's really bad, but let's suffice is to say, I'm hobbling around.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of my employees starts calling me tenderfoot. So I was like, yes, that's me. I'm tenderfoot today for a couple of weeks and what But the thought process was, Okay, when do you start doing something, recovery recovery from illness, recovery from surgery, recovery from major surgery versus minor surgery, all of these type of things. When do you start working out again? When do you start moving again? What's appropriate? Because I don't know about you ANDAR, but I've had a lot of people ask me, you know, I was sick all of last week. When is it good?
Speaker 2: Should I come in?
Speaker 1: Should I come in?
Speaker 2: Come in? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yep, you know, and you know, same thing with surgery. I mean I've had some people literally I had this on Monday. They would have come in on Tuesday with an open wound and everything, and I'm thinking, what are you doing here? So I thought that'd be an interesting topic for us to discuss.
Speaker 2: Especially because for you and I, you know, it's not like we're training people from marathons. We're not assuming that they're going to have to run, you know, five miles when the first day they come in. We have in our toolkit and certainly in the Ploti Studio Toolkit and certainly in your personal training slash POLATEI Studio Toolkit, you can start people anywhere, right, You can start people at anybody part, at any level. And one of the things that I always like to bring up, and this is an old study that I don't have the reference for, but I'll look it up if you need me to. They did a study with a bunch of young men. These were college age men, just many years ago, and they basically put them to bed for three weeks and the goal was to see how much how much deconditioning they came. You know, it happened in three weeks for these again twenty somethings or eighteen year old twenty eighteen to twenty year olds and they found out that it was three weeks of bed rest, it took them a minimum of three months to return to their previous level of fitness. Yeah, okay, so one week of not doing anything meant they needed really like three to four weeks of getting back to their regular activity level to return their previous level of fitness. And then they did the same thing with this group of people when they were in their i think late forties, early fifties. I'm not sure how they got them back together again, but suppose they did. And in that group again, they put them to bed for three weeks, which is probably malpractice. You can actually do, but a idea that was a bad idea, and for many of them they never returned to their previous level of fitness. And if those who did, it took a year. So you know what that said to me at the time when I first heard this was many many years ago. And again, even if this isn't I think, well it is. It was based on an actual study, but it's also just what you experience. If you really don't do anything for a period of time, your conditioning can be severely affected by that. We're talking total bed rest. We're not talking like keeping some things going. So when I think about recovery, and certainly at Saint Francis, when I was working with all the sports medicine doctors there and going for a lot of the conference I went to, they really took a very I would almost say aggressive approach and get something moving as soon as possible was kind of their basic mantrap. If you had a knee surgery, move your other leg, move your core, move your arm, get some circulation going. All those things help with healing.
Speaker 1: M It's really difficult, I think for a lot of people who go through things like this. And I'm going to use myself as as an example. My surgery, and it was abdominal surgery, and it was pretty significant, and I had a lot of complications in pain afterward, and I didn't I wasn't able to do much of anything for almost a month. Right by that by a month, I could barely walk a flight of stairs without being winded. And I was doing I mean, I could get on an elliptical for a half an hour without blinking at a high intensity level. My heart rate didn't raise that much one or two flights of stairs and I'm just dying. And I thought Oh my gosh, you lose it so quickly and it does take a while to come back. Because once I realized that, I said, oh, I don't care how I feel. I got to at least get some movement going and start something. But as you know, sometimes when you feel awful, the last thing you really want to do is move You just want to sit down and just be like, oh woe is me? Because let's face it, pain makes you a little depressed and you start feeling sorry for yourself, and depression leads to lack of movement and whatnot for a lot of people. And I was feeling that way. I'll be the first to admit it. Man, I didn't want to do things, but you got to force yourself sometimes at a certain point, you know, to at least get something going. Even after my foot. You'll appreciate this. I called, leaving the hospital, call my wife and just let her know that I was thinking of stopping back at work, and I work a half an hour away, but I have decided to come home. But I told her, you know, I was thinking about going, and she said, if you say to the gym, I'm going to kill you. And I'm thinking, yeah, you know, in the past. That is something that I can easily hear myself saying. It's like, but I could do other stuff, you know, but I was like, no, no, no, I've decided I'm coming home for today. But then today I was stir crazy. So yes, I had all the time. I went in the other room, I got on the spine fitter, I got on the phone roll or I did mobility work. I did a little bit of core work, you know, whatever I can do just to get my body moving because I felt sluggish. I felt like my body wasn't wasn't the way it should be. I still don't feel one hundred percent and the rest of my body, but I feel better than I did.
Speaker 2: And there's a bunch of things in that, right. So some of it is and I've brought to so many clients with these, this transition from inactivity for whatever reason, post surgical illness, whatever it is, back to activity. And and there's a psychological component, which, as you said, is pretty profound. There's the there's sort of the depression of lack of motivation. Is also the fear, you know, if somebody especially has something like a back problem or a neck problem, something very central in their body. Uh, Their fear of movement can be really we're talking about this before, but can be really profound. And many people's reaction to pain, whether it's you know, after surgery, after illness or whatever is just okay, I just won't do that, Like I'm just I'm checking that off the list. Ye uh. And that's a really common reaction, which isn't well, isn't always, I would say, is mostly not the right answer.
Speaker 1: And we have the right I have a client who fifteen years ago pulled a muscle in her back doing a rowing type exercise. She was working with a trainer who put wave too much weight on a seated row machine and just kept yelling at her to keep going, keep going, and she pulled a muscle. She basically, I believe pulled a rhomboid. She may have even you know, rotated a rib, but she had a lot of pain for a while. She still doesn't like doing rows, and what we do I have to put half of the weight that she thinks she can do and slowly work up because there's still that fear of that exercise equaled pain and it's hard to convince your brain otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly I've put several clients I can think of with that same story. So one of the things that I talk to you a bunch of things. I've got a bunch of case studies and things of this. One thing that I start with, for example, is for all my women who are pregnant right and are having a baby, especially if it's their first baby. Many people say that, you know, especially if you've had a C section, that you want to be you want to kind of let the seutres heal, which is usually about a six to eight week mark before you do anything particularly strenuous on the abdomen. Okay, so that makes sense. But what I've said to those women is that's great. Or even just after, you know, after the baby's born, if it's a vaginal delivery, is think about just some simple core work like engage your transfer subdominance, just pull it in and release and pull it in and release. Do some standing work, do some like if you're in the reformer, do some simple footwork, do some feed in straps. Maybe I can get a little tricky on the pelvis work. You know, It's like there's always things you can do that for most people most of the time, like you're experiencing this morning will make you feel better. And again it's like there's that activation energy. You don't want to do it, but once you do it, you feel better. And sometimes it's really convincing clients like, I know you're gonna hate this, You're gonna not want to do this, but I promise you you'll feel better after like ten minutes. So let's just get over that hump and then go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's always a philosophy that was put to me by a professor of mine that said, Okay, you only have so much energy too, you know, to live, and if your body is trying to recover from something, do you want to go only give half of your energy to recovering from your injury and the other half to recovering from your workout or whatever else you're doing, or do you want one hundred percent to go to your recovery from the surgery or illness or whatever. And that's that was always something that sort of laid in the back of my mind that I'm like, it makes some sense that, Okay, I do want to recover as quickly as possible. I do want my body to heal, but I also believe that there's circulation that's going to occur when you do get your body in motion and you can avoid the area. You know, I don't have to use my right foot right now. I can do seated stuff. I can do lying down things. I can do all of that. So there's there was always that sort of mentality in my mind fighting, you know, two sides of my brain saying, well, I still want people to recover, but movement is good and it's going to create better recovery and better healing.
Speaker 2: Well, I think for me, the falsehood there is based on that previous study I talked about with you know, the young men. Is is rest is an interesting concept, right, We often think and I think about one of my relative's voice in my head, Oh honey, you work so hard. Just sit down, like it was always every time to the house. Oh just sit down, relax, Yeah, take a load off. Recover is like the thing being that that's a way to regain your energy. And you know, and I know that in fact, if I rest too much, my energy goes down, yes, right, like particularly like that real real rest, real like like that whole idea that you only have X amount of energy. You know, actually that's yes, in some major way that may be true. But on any individual moment, right, I can build up my energy, you know, even at this point in my life being an older person, like I can give myself more energy by doing stuff, or I can give myself less energy by not doing anything. So you know, really that that equivalence is more like, how do you and this is very individual, how do you keep you know, build your energy up because your energy will also help your recovery without depleting you. And that's that's the funny line. Yeah, you know, for I think of many of my super two per super type A high achieving athletic clients, their tendency and recovery was to do way too much and set themselves back. Yes, you know, they come out of surgery, they're like, I'm great, I'm fine, I'm going to just go right back to my workout, and then two weeks later they've actually reinjured the area or cause themselves more trouble and then they really literally have to stop right for a period of time because they've just overdone things. That's one option. The other option is like, oh, I'll just wait until I feel one hundred percent perfect and then I'll go back to what I was doing. The problem with that is if you don't do anything, you may never get to one hundred percent perfect because your body needs circulation, needs energy, needs blood flow to heal. So it's a fine lines there. There's a lot of balancing that we're trying to do there, and.
Speaker 1: It's hard to conventure your client of that, especially if they've experienced I don't know about you with yeah, but for me, I have a tendency when I get injured that I almost want to blast the area because I want it better now. I want to just get this better, and I know what to do because this is our field. You know. My rotator cuff was flared up, you know, six eight months ago, a year ago, whatever it was, and it does take time to heal. But as soon as it would start feeling a little better, I would immediately start trying to do things that I know maybe should I shouldn't, you know, but I'm feeling better. I'm feeling good, so why not try it? And then it sets you back a little bit. But I'm getting so bored with those rehab exercises and I think I'm a little better, but I also have to remind myself, I'm not twenty five anymore. So maybe my body does take a little bit longer. Whether I like to admit it or not, maybe it does take a little bit longer for that connective tissue to begin the healing process and for things to you know, fully recover. And sometimes it does require more time than I think an athlete or someone who has done athletics or dance or a high level of activity really wants to give themselves. Yes, you know, you know what I mean. I mean, yes, players are male.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of under me come up to all the time. You know. It's like it's like a friend of mine has had some knee pain, actually wted. My clients set some knee pain, and it is a fine line for them, like I recognize. So first it was like, well, let's just rest it and see how we go. Things did not get better. Then they went on a bicycle trip with their husband. They hadn't really been biking much because they're knee hurt, and you know, they're like, okay, well I'm going to join the crowd. And they did some biking and after two days their he felt a whole lot better. But you couldn't guarantee that, like it could have just caused iritation, swelled everything up. There could have been a worse shape. And so it really is one of those things where every individual, in every circumstance, you know, kind of push it a bit, see how far you go, and then maybe maybe you have to step back, But you have to find that line of how it's like, how is that path of recovery? Is it a slow path? Does it need a lot of rest breaks or and it be kind of more aggressive like you, Brian, I also like, oh, something's bothering me. I'm going to work it. You know, this is like my ne hears oka, I'm going to just do a bunch of quad says. I'm going to like do some squaws, Like that's just my natural habit, which, like you, sometimes is the right answer. Like oftentimes for me, more often than not, it has been the right answer. But occasionally it was the wrong answer and I just needed to stop. But I didn't know that until I'd actually tried something and gone, oh, you know, let's let's pull back. And and I think that's that is the challenge with recovery from from all of these situations is how do you figure out when to start, how much to start, and so much of our job is to monitor that. Yeah, so many of our clients, that's our job is like Okay, here's the red light, here's the green light. Let's let's let's push this. And then okay, when am I going to push I'm gonna push you just a little bit this time. We'll see how you do right next day, day after, they come back in, four days later or whatever it is. How'd you do?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I was pretty good that night, little store, the next day, pretty good by the day after. Okay, that's a little bit of a reaction, but I think we can continue with that level. Like we've moved it up a notch. Let's stick with that. See how we go. Then you take the next step up right, and it's that slow progressive feedback. Did it work? Did it not work?
Speaker 1: That just goes on and on, And that's kind of what makes us sort of the body detectives that we are, is that we have to continually look at what seems to be working. I'm going through this with a client right now. She had some major major problems for a long time, and we would try something and it wouldn't work. We'd try something, it wouldn't work, and it would set her back. And she went took some time off because she went on vacation, she did it whatever. She was away for a good month and she came back and I said, okay, I said, I think now's the time for us to start back on this. I said, but we're going to do one thing. I want to limit the variables first.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, agreed.
Speaker 1: One exercise, that's it, and on your own, you're going to do this no more than two other times this week, so three times in seven days. And they say, oh, that's all. That's it. Because her body seemed to be very reactive to things that were happening when we were trying to push it a little bit, and she's someone who wants to push and wants to get better. So I said, okay, the next week, how did you feel afterward? Well, it was still a little painful. I so was it worse? That was the key? Was it worse? Did it make it feel worse?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: All right, good, you still do that exercise this week, but we're going to add one more thing in today. Yeah, And it was something simple, and again each session we added one thing, or each week we added one more thing to the pile, until they're doing more and more and more and their bodies able to tolerate it. I think with so many people who want who are just sick and tired of being hurt, I just want to do what I was doing and do what I want to do, and so they do too much and then they get set back. Like I did with my shoulder. I felt great for the last six weeks. This feels great, and I do too much and I go back to an old workout and think that felt great, and afterwards I'm like, that was awesome. It didn't hurt when I did it, fantastic, And the next day I'm like, holy crap, what did I do? I feel beat up, and then it's another three to four weeks of nursing it. It's like, oh, okay, So there is that fine line. So I say limit the number of variables. That's sort of Stage one for me is limit the variable time for one thing at a time m hm.
Speaker 2: And then seeah they respond yes and if you absolutely I mean, and that's a wonderful thing about what we do as opposed to what other practitioners get to do. We can say, Okay, we're going to just leave that ankle be right for or whatever. We're going to leave that shoulder bat. We're going to work on your other side. We're going to work on your legs, we work on your core, do all kinds of things that don't involve that area. So you're still getting circulation, you're still getting stuff, but you're not stressing that. So I think, and I think that's really a lot of our role is exactly what you're talking about, is guiding them from one step, checking on that step, so you know, add a variable, see how they respond. If that was good, then add one more variable, see how they respond, and then slowly build them back up. And like you personally, not just your clients, but like you, so many of us, and this is something I think about a lot, have the mentality of we are still our twenty something self or our thirty something self.
Speaker 1: You nevern me otherwise.
Speaker 2: We are still that body that could recover within minutes and could do X, workout whatever it is, right Like, that's just just two we are. That's our internal ima of ourselves. It's always like at least twenty years behind. For most of us, twenty years behind when we actually are like twenty years younger than we actually are. And so there's that assumption too, like, well I should just you know, I could just do this, and to put a finer point on what you're saying, it feels good at the time a whole lot of Like there's some things that hurt more when you work them, there are many things that hurt less. When there's circulation and there's mobility and there's some of that stuff A lot of times that decreases the pain from a fascial perspective.
Speaker 1: You increase properate.
Speaker 2: Reception, you decrease no susception. So you know there's that balance too. But it's what happens, like again, on the drive home that night the next day, that's when you know whether they reacted or not. And so that's why I like, I take the feedback at the moment, but I don't get too excited about it because it's easy as the beginning teacher to go, oh, you feel better, great, let's let's let's keep going. And you're like, okay, put the rakes on, that's enough, move on to something else. How they do that night, how they do the next day, If that all went fine, do it again. If there is trouble, back it down one step. This is that delicate dance of recovery for everybody.
Speaker 1: And that is something that we have to remind ourselves about a lot of times, just getting them to move. I have one client that every time she leaves, and I do mean every time she leaves, I feel so much better than when I walked in. And she's prett knee replacement. You know, she's got you know, she's got a bunch of things that she's gonna have to deal with them mentally in life. And she's in her early sixties. But every time she leaves, she's thanking me like I've performed a miracle. And sometimes you got to take the ego out of it because it feels really good at the time. You're like a haha, I did my job, and I'm always like I'm so glad, I'm glad your body responded, well, I'm not putting it on me. I'm putting it on their body. They're the ones that actually moved. I may have set them upright, I may have put them in the right position. I may have pointed them in the right direction, but it's their body that actually did the movement, and I want to check in on them a day or two later and say, how did it feel afterward? Oh, it's feeling better fine, or you know, that night it was kind of achy, but today it's not bad. It's okay. So maybe we were a little aggressive, but if it's not bad the next day, maybe we were. Maybe that is the level we can stay at, you know, and we can just see how their body responds. But I think a lot of it is take the feedback in sort of listen to it critically. Let go of the flowers that someone's trying to give you, because everybody wants to praise us, and that's wonderful, but put that aside, but listen to the other part and really try and figure out, Okay, this hurt for two days afterward, Okay, that's a little too much. Yep, So what did I do? Okay, we're going to do half of that yep, and see how that worked, or you know, a third whatever it is, whatever your number is, and you can figure out based on the client in front of you, their age, their recovery, all of that. And we've worked with clients long enough that eventually you kind of figure out with a client, Oh, this person recovers fairly quickly, or oh my gosh, it's been nine months and they still haven't recovered yet, Holy MACRONI. So sometimes it does take time, but when you get to know the client, you can figure that out sometimes how much to push, how much to pull back?
Speaker 2: And that is that is the story, right, that is absol the story there of how you how you you moderate and guide you're really guiding your client from one state to another. And one of the other things this has been coming up a lot in some of teaching. I've been doing the difference. We talked a little bit the other day, the difference between managing and healing. Yeah, and you know, so many of us have little things that bother us, and we just they're not bad enough to stop us from doing much. You know, a little low back pay in the morning, a little niece, stiffness, we do this or that, So we just manage it. We don't really pay attention to it. We don't actually get in there and do the thing that might actually make it get all the way better. And so sometimes what I find with my clients with recovery, as I'm working on that line, I'm really ideally in my idealized universe, trying to aim them towards healing, towards full recovery of whatever that thing is. But you don't always get that, right. I'm sure any of you out there who over the age of about forty know that some things just kind of stay with you for periods of time. May eventually result, but sometimes they don't. You have an old knee injury that just you know, like you had a noniscus tear when you were young and never really healed it and worked really hard on it, and maybe that neil always a little cranky, right, Like we've got those things, some of us. So some of it too is how do we how do we just moderate and find get as good as we can, but also understand that sometimes you're managing the situation right, sometimes you're not going to get full of recovery. When that client come to grips with a managed situation as opposed to full recovery can be challenging, and sometimes you're really working on let's just take this one step at a time, see how far we can get. I always say I maintain hope no matter what, no matter what that client comes in with or what their doctor has told them they can expect. I'm like, I'm not going to have There's no ceiling in my mind, there's no end point that is predetermined for what we're working on. We're going to keep working and see where we go, because I don't know everybody's capable of amazing things. Yeah, some clients, as you said, are really fast recovery. Some clients take forever. But I never say like, oh, you're done and this is over and you know, get used to it. I just don't ever say that.
Speaker 1: And there's something to be said about just staying in motion as well and finding out, figuring out what doesn't hurt and doing that. Yep, Because even though my shoulder was hurt, I thought, Okay, I can still do other things. My other arm works, my core works, my legs work, you know, everything else was fine. So sometimes it's really about Okay, I need to strengthen that. And there have been a number of studies in physical therapy that actually show working the other body part causes strengthening on the injured one, even if the injured one isn't doing much instability. There's neurologic, there's a lot of factors, and I've read through some of the studies, and I'll be honest with you, it doesn't make sense if I'm doing external rotation exercises with my right arm, but my left one is hurting, why the left one gets benefit. I don't get it. I've read the studies, but it seems that there is something there neurologically that still creates some of those pathways to help it heal. And I think that that's sort of a fascinating thing as well, that we can say, look, there's so many other things we can do, and let's find those first, and we can even if we have to let that rest for the next few weeks, we can still find all the other things that do work and don't hurt and then begin to inch our way back.
Speaker 2: But just to refine that a little bit more like, there was, you know, one study where somebody was in or they had a whole group of people that were in an arm cast. Right, they like broke their femur, their humorous or their or their forearms or something, so they're in a cast so that arm cannot move for usually four to six weeks or whatever the situation was, and they had them doing full, a full arm workout on the other arm. And so they did, you know, two groups, one group that was doing the exercise, one group that wasn't, and they take the cast off and the group that was doing the exercises, that arm that was in the cast had a whole lot more strength than the other arm, right, so that it would like that simple. So and I tell that to clients all the time, and I use that, you know, as a metaphor for them or just as an example for them of Okay, well, you know your right legs in a cast right now, or your right legs had surgery and you're not supposed to do a lot of things. We're to work the left leg. Yeah, we're going to just make this a single one leg thing, and we're going to get that as strong as we can. Because that brain does mirror, like what's happening, what's happened on your right side, your brain kind of thinks about happening on the left side. Still sends the impulses to the muscle, still sends the motor control to the muscle, like that whole reaction is still there even if you can't actually move the thing. So that's a really important piece too that we can always use in recovery and use all the time like, well it's for the other.
Speaker 1: Part, yeah, and why not if the other part works, keep it strong, keep it strong as much as possible, figure out what you can do and have your body do that or your client's body do that. Now, I will say that depending on the injury, that that can sometimes dictate recovery time. For instance, we've talked about tendinitis and tendinosis very different than a broken bone or a sprained ligament, very different than a surgical procedure. You know, where you have an open wound, you don't want them necessarily have them coming into a gym or an environment where they could get an infection and things like that. You know, So there's always those those variables in that aspect too, saying Okay, maybe you do need a little bit more time to heal if you have a tendonitis, because all you're going to do is upset the tendon and maybe you need the anti inflammatory. You need to see the physician or the physical therapist. So let's us work on everything else. But that, you know, it's not as clear cut as let's say a broken arm where the cast comes off and then it's like Okay, I can work this again. That seems pretty clear cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And the tissue hasn't necessarily been affected so much, necessarily as much. Yeah yeah, exactly. And one of those things too, that I always think about with both the circumstances is how am I going to get that client to think more positively and to decrease the fear after an injury. And what I find is fear is a profoundly brain dominating emotion, So you know, and I always think about something really simple and kind of banal. If you're walking around the city, and I'm sure some of the men have had this experience, I'm sure many of the women have had this experience. And you get a blister in your heel right or your toe or something, right, You've got new shoes on, you're looking really hot, and you walk around like, ah, what is your brain doing with every step on my footers on my footers on my first Like your whole brain gets obsessed and gets taken over by this blister in the bottom of your foot or whatever it is, and you realize, like, this is not a life threatening situation, This is not this is actually really insignificant in the bigger like survival level thing, but your body response like it's a major deal. And I've had so many clients where they've got pain somewhere again in your case, left shoulder or or their foot, they got maybe a stress fracture in there, one of the metatarsals or something, and basically their whole body's going, I'm in pain and I shouldn't move right, like that's just the natural habit of the body. And so much as a psychological is like ouch, stop and that's where we go. And instead, if I have a client like that, and I really say, look, I understand that that's in pain and that's the loudest thing in your brain, but we're going to give your body the experience of moving other parts. You know. It's a distraction for one thing, which is pretty helpful for pain, and it's also helping them understand their body isn't broken. They've got things that work fine, and there are ways that they can really focus on something else. And that's also part of recovery, right is understanding, well, what works? You know, what can I do? And that often just reframing that to what can I do rather what can't I do? Is helpful psychologically and physically and in terms of program design.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And I've told the story before and I'll bring it up here again. Got a client who is in pain all the time, but if she has a hangnail, it's the end of the world. She's on a ten, no matter when, no matter what happens, she's on a ten. And I have her do a simple exercise and everything hurts. I can barely move my leg I can, and I'll have her march and she'll start telling me a story. And she's just talking a way and she's marching. No problem. I didn't ask her how it feels. If I ask her how it feels, oh, killing me, it's killing me. It's killing me. But as long as she's talking, I'm thinking, Okay, how bad could it be killing you? If you're maintaining a normal voice, you don't sound stressed in your voice, your eyes aren't showing me signs of fear and tension and pain, then you're probably doing okay. And so sometimes you're right. It is all about distraction. It's just getting them to move and say, oh, this is gonna be fine. This has nothing to do with that part, you know what I mean. I'll say something like that, and I'll say, oh, okay, it might is it part of the core. Yes, they might have a back thing. Okay, but I'll just say, nah, this is you could do this something else you're and they'll be like, oh okay, and then they'll do it with no problem. But if you but if you come at it with now, we're gonna try this careful, see how this is. Yes, we can create pain. I mean, for me, my thing with my toe, I wouldn't look. He gave me novacaine, he numbed it. I refuse to look because I know how strong the brain is, and I was afraid that I would try and create pain where that I may not be feeling it. You know, if you're watching.
Speaker 2: It, yes, yes, you.
Speaker 1: Your body can think, oh my gosh, that's hurting.
Speaker 2: Is a needle going right right your Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And for the things that did hurt, like putting the needle in, the novacaine, the anesthesia and that hurt. But after that it was sort of like no, as long as I kept my eyes looking somewhere else, I was totally fine. Often times I like to look because I'm I like watching that kind of stuff. Here it's me. I was like you know, I know my brain, I know I'm gonna I'm gonna imagine pain. So and as soon as I took my brain and looked elsewhere, it wasn't It wasn't that bad. And I've had to do that. I mean, we've all done it with dental You know, we can't watch and you know you're you're gripping the tear tight and you're holding and then they'll say, does anything hurt. No, then relax your face and your jaw. Oh yeah, just like Oh, I didn't even realize. I was like sensing up the whole time. But we can imagine pain, and we can create that that sometimes just by distracting ourselves by doing something else with the other arm, the other body part, or just getting them to move. Like I say, I did some stretching and mobility work. I knew it wasn't gonna bother me. I knew it wouldn't, and it didn't. Was I pushing through my foot a little sure, but I just kept whatever hurt, don't do that, Okay, do this other thing, and we can almost always find something that the body can do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've had several clients over the years who were really extreme, just clients and extreme pain of whatever kind, and they really genuinely were and you know, there was all the psychological stuff, but it was also just they were not going to be very comfortable doing a whole lot of things. And so we had a program which was by all accounts, pretty minimal. You wouldn't you know, nobody would say they're getting a good workout out of this particular thing. But it gave them somewhere to come to, It gave them somewhere to go, It gave them some sense of hope, and you know, I mean, I think of one gal particularly. We would line the trap table and we would do armwork and we basically do like supine armwork on the trap table with yellow springs or with thera bands or something else, just to get some movement going because any woman of her spine really just hurt like heck, so we do a little bit of that. We'd find ways to do her leg work that involved nothing else else moving and we would just do that. And you know, it was challenging for me for sure, because there wasn't a lot of progress made, but she was able to maintain the life that she needed. She was able to do what she needed to do professionally. She was able to kind of keep going and it was a very minimal program, but something about just coming in, checking in with her body as often she came to the clinic, to the studio, and then being able to move, getting some circulation, getting some awareness was just super helpful. Again, that was like some of the more minimal programs I've ever done, but that was really beneficial for her, you know, And I don't know that anybody else would have offered that or been able to offer that.
Speaker 1: And I bet you had to be very creative in what you came up with. I find that some of those clients, and I've had a number of them, and yes, you sort of find out these ten exercises work, and that's all we're going to do for the next six months, probably because if I go one step beyond, they're gonna claim that I that I hurt them. So we're gonna do the same thing for a while. But I will say that sometimes those are the clients that I get the most creative with because I think, man, all this other stuff seems to hurt, Let's try this instead. There's some stuff I've done on the phone roller for shoulder mobility work, and I'll be thinking, well, we've done it with a stick before. What if we added a band instead, What if we did this? What if we did that and we tried to have them move just in a little way, or maybe I pull a little bit on the band and they're just holding it still, basically a statue type of thing, and they're like, oh, this this feels okay. We found a path of mote. We found you know, can you move in a circle, can you can you move up? Can you move down? Can you do anything? Yeah? Okay, you write that down. Then we investigate next time we do maybe a little bit different. And I've come up with a lot of great exercises that I've used on hundreds of people afterward because it worked on them, and I'm thinking, I wonder who else it will work on, and you try it, I'm thinking, Wow, this really works. I've got a frozen shoulder routine that I work with with people, and when they first start, they're thinking, oh, you know, I'm really limited. But after six or eight weeks they say, I'm really starting to see some improvement. It's very very slow, but it's stuff that I had to sort of come up with because I'm thinking everything's hurting. We got to try something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And eventually you start finding these things that do work, and then you try it with someone else. Does it work? Does it not? May maybe it was a unicorn and you just got lucky. That's possible that happened. But sometimes lucky in the other way, and you're like, oh, wow, this really does seem to work. I found a pattern that does work. So it makes you very creative.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean that's I think why. Well, I know, for me, that's a lot of why I work with the clients I work with and worked with all. You know, it was in the circumstances I was in. Because it's much more interesting for me to have to do problem solving uh in every session than to do the same old routine I've done, you know, eight hundred thousand times. That's just that's just my particular nature. Yours too. I like to have something new to think on, some some some new food for my brain to go, hmmm, how does that work?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly exactly. One other thing I wanted to mention here because I said it in the intro. What about illness? Right? Because cold and flu season comes around and they get sick. When did they come back? When is it okay? When should they? When shouldn't they because that's part of recovery as well, they recovered sufficiently, because how many of us have had that? Well, you're going to charge me. So I came in any way, and they're hacking and they're spreading germs all over the place. It's since COVID, I'll be honest, it's been a little better since COVID. They're they're at least respectful. But back then, I'm surprised I wasn't sick all winter because people were always coming in hacking. Oh, I'm not contagious. How do you know exactly exactly?
Speaker 2: Are you do? Not know?
Speaker 1: You don't know. You just don't want to you're.
Speaker 2: A microbiologist, exactly. You just want to save some money.
Speaker 1: And that's just it. Nobody wants to be charged by canceling, you know, an hour beforehand because they don't feel well. And I get that. We all I have a twenty four hour cancelation policy, most of us do. Yeah, But when you know, I've heard I've talked to a number of doctors and I've heard a number of different things. What's your sort of philosophy on this enough mine.
Speaker 2: That's so, I mean, honestly, let's see, it's changed a lot. It changed a lot with COVID, I have to say. And there's really two concerns. So one concern, to your point, is I want to be a caution the people coming into my studio and spreading a whole lot of germs.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Again, if I've got I have a lot of clients who are or had not at this I'm not working with clients at the moment so much, but I had clients who were who are older, who might be immune compromised, like I've got clients who are vulnerable in that sense. So I really and you know, and I don't want to get sick either, So I'm often pretty cautious just on that front that I don't necessarily want, you know, rampant germs floating around my studio. There's only so much that sterilizing your equipment with a spray bottle is going to do, you know, if somebody's coming in with something yucky. So there's that. Then this the second thing is, I know, for me, there are some situations and I you know, can kind of tell where I can move just fine. Like I get allergies a lot of times in the spring, you know, allergy Like I like I'm running, my nose is running, I may be coughing, I may be sneezing, but I know it's allergies. Like my energy is basically fine. I'm just full of snot right, and that's like, that's not contagious. It's and my energy is pretty much fine and I can do pretty much everything. I don't have a fever of that kind of thing. Then having something more like a flu, either a stomach well to two different examples. One is just like a fever, kind of a fever kind of flu, maybe a lot of long stuff, those things that you really feel like you're like you're going to bed, Like I'm going to bed. I have this thing and I am not moving. I want to stay on the couch. I want to read my book and I want to sleep. That's a different kind of illness for me. Yeah, And when I get those ones a lot of times, I would like, I don't necessarily want to be the first thing a client does in terms of physical activity. So I think my suggestion is often, well, you know, if you feel like you can pretty much stay up all day, do your ordinary things around the house anyway, or go back to work, then you're fine to come in. You know, if you're like, if you're like dragging out of bed, getting in the car, coming to see if you're going to go back to bed when you're home, probably you shouldn't see me like that. For me, seems like that's a good day to stand bed and and you know, so that would be kind of my take there. It was something like a stomach flu. A lot of times there's just a lot of weakness that comes from that, and you know, so for that, it's like, well, as long as you don't feel like you're gonna throw up on me, I'm pretty good with having you come in and we can start to work and you know, and deal with stuff. So those are kind of three rough things. What have you got? I've probably got more, but those are three rough things.
Speaker 1: They you're right, they have changed since COVID, And like you, I do have a number of immune compromised clients and during COVID we really had to be very aware of who was in our studio and someone would come in, and luckily we have multiple rooms, so if someone did come in and did have you know something going on, I could put on a mask and take them in the other room and then sterilize the daylights out of that if I did know someone was immune compromised. And yeah, I also have a rule that look, if I and you home, that's the rule. You're not fit. I can see you are not well. You have to leave now. And I say, I'm not letting you get everybody in here sick.
Speaker 2: Do you charge them?
Speaker 1: That depends on the client. Okay, I'll be the first to say. And I say that because we all have the person who is like, I don't know if I can come in today. I'm not. I just I don't know. So we know those who are like that. We also know those who never cancel. Yeah, always show up, never and they call you in the morning and say, you know what, I woke up and I've got this SYNC. Don't worry about it. I got you exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Because yeah, So the discretion of this, of the of you, of the owner, right or whatever. Like those who you know never cancel unless like they're dying or their car broke down or something. It's like, okay, fine, that's I'll give you a pass on that and then there's notes are like, oh, oh you know my hairdresser changed to appointment. I did have this happening in the day. Oh yeah, so so I need to cancel. And this was like two hours before their appointment. And I'm like, okay, I'm charging you for.
Speaker 1: That one, no question, Yeah, that has no excuse. Yeah, yeah exactly. And when it comes to I've talked to number of physicians and I've gotten a consensus with this. So I've talked to a number of them. If it's the flu, you really want to make sure that they have completely recovered, that they no longer have a fever, that their energy level is like eighty five to ninety percent back, because if it's only like sixty percent back, but they have no fever and they're feeling they can sit down at home, do a little paperwork and I feel fine. But they go to walk to the mailbox and back and whoa, I can barely you know, I'm not one hundred. I'm not there yet. Okay, maybe yeah yet. So wait until like eighty eighty five percent and then they're fine as long as they don't have you know, a fever or whatnot or not showing simple that's for something like the flu. When it comes to a cold, if you feel it starting, if you feel it coming on. So let's talk like a bell curve. The first like two thirds of a bell curve, the ramp up, the peak, and at the when it's starting to come back down, that's when you stay home. You do not want to be in the studio, because I've heard that that is technically when you're most contagious is at the beginning, when you still have that lingering something like a lingering cough. You feel one hundred percent you're going to work, but you got a lingering cough. And we have some older clients, I'm sure you do. I have one. It's been three years. The cough has not gone away. She's seen yeah, imagine, and of course someone hears them cough and now, because you know we experience COVID, they're like, oh my gosh, they're sick. And I'm thinking, no, no, no, trust me, they've been coughing for three years. It's fine, right, no.
Speaker 2: Normal, just just their lungs are just not happy. It's just how it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're irritated. It's just the way it's going to be for this person. So some people do have their clear they're clearing their throat, they have allergies, they have something like that, but they feel fine for that. I say, Okay, you're good, you're good. But sometimes you can tell by looking at someone in their eyes they're just not looking right and their energy is completely changed. I mean, your energy and my energy. Even with allergies, it's still similar. We don't feel great, you know, we're still working in a little bit.
Speaker 2: People people would generally know except that my eyes, my eyes eyes are red and my nose is running like this. But otherwise I'm.
Speaker 1: Good, exactly you say, And it's not a big deal. But when you can see their white ashion, they're they're just not looking healthy, like you know what, you need to go home now and it's time. And a lot of times I've had some clients say, okay, you're right, and they know.
Speaker 2: They thank you for telling me, yeah, because I kind of needed somebody to give me permission in a way to just say, oh that I don't feel good.
Speaker 1: I'm going exactly. I don't know about you. I grew up. I was the kid who cried wolf at school. I was bored. School, bored the heck out of me. You know, I would finish the book and be thinking, Okay, now we've got to still talk about this for the next two weeks. So I would literally be bored on my rear end. So if I wanted to go home. My big thing. Now, when you do this, when you're in second and third and fourth grade, your parents catch up catch on to this pretty quickly, and from then on I was never allowed to stay home. I was practically dying before they'd stay home. So my brain, literally to this day is don't be a faker. Go and I have Sometimes I'll ask my wife and I'll say I think, and she goes, no, you're staying home, and she says that I'm You're right because my brain don't fake it. You know you can do it. And I'm sure there are times when you know, when you're a kid, you just don't want to go to school, but there's other times when you could have easily and you just didn't want to do that test or whatever. But I think that gets programmed in our brain that we don't want to whimp out. We don't want to you know, not be there, or the boss is going to get mad, whatever it is, and so you end up going when you probably shouldn't.
Speaker 2: This is getting to a little We've talked around this a little bit, but I just want to bring it up as it's kind of a last little bit here. So I spend a lot of time around little kids lately, just because I have a whole bunch of great newss and nephews of all different ages, and it's just so interesting to watch their relationship to discomfort or injury. And I think this just completely plays into all this stuff because I think of this one as one child that I think of particularly who you would watch or fall down and then she would look at her parents for their reaction, and if she got a reaction, then she'd start crying. Like it was that obvious, right, It was like she and if the parent wan, oh, you're like, oh, the hole. Like if the parent reacted and they got the response from the parent, then they're like, you literally saw them go oh, now I should cry. It was just like, Okay, that's really obvious. It was funny how obvious that was. And those are often you know, we see kind of a mature version of that same thing in some of our clients in terms of pain. That's just a little funny moment there, and then I have you know, a couple of other kids like are completely opposite they are so you know, like they fall down, they rather seriously fall down, fall off their bike as a you know, four year old and kind of scrape their knee and you know, bonk their elbow and and and they kind of look at their parents. Their parents just looks at them like, how are you okay? They like, and you see them kind of checking it out, Yeah okay, and then they go on. Right, So we learned that we learned that behavior so early, you know, and how the response how people respond to us when we're in pain really creates a lot of that stoicness versus like like oh if I just cry, I can get out of this, right. So I think that that plays into all of this recovery bit as well as that part of the psychology.
Speaker 1: Funny story. I don't know where I learned this from or if I just thought of this, but I taught my kids to DA. So every time they fell, they would look at me, and I'd go toda, and I kid you not. After you do that a few times they would fall down, hop up and go to DA and then go about their business. They thought that that right, did They'd like let it go, yes, and it just they kept going. They'd be in the park and other parents would say what did he just do? I say, he said today, and you could see they thought, how'd you train that? Asad? I just they want to reward them for crying, and in that sense, and maybe it's the gen X in me, it's like, oh, tough enough, but you know, it was that part of me that's like, you stumbled, Are you hurt if you don't cry immediately? And you look at me like are you So it's kind of like right, just see and it worked. And for the most part of my kids to this day, it's sort of like they're pretty stoic when it comes to certain things and sometimes I have to really poke at them and say are you sure, and they say, well, yeah, I kind of it does really hurt, and thinking, yeah, that's that's something we got to take a look at. So it can go the other way. But you're right, there are clients who sort of do this with pain to get attention, absolutely, and there's that negative attention as well as positive, and we have to respond with that as well and make sure that they that we give them the appropriate amount that they need, but don't necessarily reward them for you know, constantly coming in every single time being in pain. You can reward them with great conversation and here we're going to get stronger and give them, you know, reward basis on that. And don't you feel great? Look at this, You've never done this weight before, You've never lifted this much, you've never done those many reps. Your form was spectacular. Look at this, You're able to do this and you haven't ever done it before. That reward, hopefully can bolster them just as much as getting the attention of you know, some poet.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, Oh my gosh, I'm so exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so there's a lot of practical stuff in there, so hopefully you guys got something out of that in terms of creating a moderate program, responding purplet to your clients, staying optimistic about what's possible, working the body parts that aren't injured. Yeah, there's a lot of pieces in there in terms of just helping people recover. A lot of good good case studies too, I think from both of us, So hopefully you guys can have some better results with your clients who are in recovery from something and hopefully that'll help you out out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think there's a lot in there. So until next week, do us a favorite hit that like and subscribe button. We super appreciate every single one of you. If you want to get in touch with us, Moving Combos at gmail dot com, check us out on Instagram Moving Convos. My name Brian Ritchie under our YouTube channel, and for Norah Saint John, I'm Brian Ritchie. We'll see y'll next week.
Speaker 2: Hi guys,