Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's new radio.
Speaker 2: Dan Ray, the big Kahuna run here. He has the holidays off. You know, all the big names, Dude, Gary Tangle here and it's always great to fill in for Dad. We'll be hanging out with you all week long. Still the come of the show. Chris pappas the pride of Algonquin High School. He's a big shot of Hollywood man. He's a producer and a writer on Gemstones. And we continue our series of talking to Boston people who have gone to LA and done well. It's amazing. It's amazing how many people from Massachusetts and New England, Boston that are in show business in LA. It's kind of crazy. And I've been on movie set since before and playing various roles and somebody will say, oh, you know, they're based in Santa Monica and they'll be the first ad or one of the camera guys and they're all from Boston and they all went West. I mean Ray Donovan, which was one of my favorite shows. It's true, folks, a lot of Bostonians out there and Chris is one of them and he's done really well. Ran a bunch of movies, produce a bunch of movies and some stuff. But I'm Sandler and working on the Gemstones with Danny McBride, And what I'd like to do is talk to people who have done well in show business who are local, Like talk to my guys Donning Wahlberg the other day, try to get him on this week and talk about their career path. Michael Maddley joined us from Nashville, New Hampshire. We all know the MIC has done really well in this area, so that's what we're going to be talking about here coming up at ten o'clock. And Alan Lickman joins us right now, the professor of history from American University. Alan, I'm so happy you're with us. Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: This my great pleasure. Uh.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of things I want to talk to you about. And I do want to get into the presidential predictions because you're certainly known for that coming up. But I was I was thinking, you know, about the whole presidential thing, and you know, people talk about Kamala Harris, and I don't really need to get into whether you vote for Trump or Harris or you know, that's your business whatever. But like like everybody thinks, like Harris, she's got a terrible track record in the eyes of her, in the eyes of some okay, but like she could still go on to become a great president. And like, how many times has somebody gone on to be a great president Alan that we thought was gonna stink? It happens more than we think, doesn't.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: One of the most lightly regarded candidates was Ronald Reagan. People said, oh my god, he's way too radical, way too extreme to be even elected president, much less to be a good president. And of course Ronald Reagan today is regarded as the iconic Republican president. Harry Truman was very lightly regarded in his own time. In fact, every single election poll bar Nunn said he would not win election on his own in nineteen forty eight, he went on to win, not by a hair but by about five points. He brought in a Democratic Congress, and today is regarded not as a great president, but one of the near great presidents.
Speaker 2: Well, my dad always talked about Harry Truman because he's my dad. Fought in World War Two. Well, he didn't fight in World War two, I need to be careful. He was, he was he was state side due to a medical issue. But he worked in a hospital state side, and he had he had there's a he was a liability, so they wouldn't send him overseas. But he talked about Truman. Give him hell, Harry and the whole thing. You know, do we beat Truman? Remember was that the Chicago Trump New York Times, Chicago, I can't remember which paper.
Speaker 3: It was, Congo Daily.
Speaker 2: Chicago News. You know, do we beat Truman?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And everybody and by the way, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: They pulled forty leading pundits in nineteen forty eight, and you know how many thought Truman would win.
Speaker 2: Zero, right, right right, And so he wins, and then of course the bomb on Horosima and he goes down in history. Is one of the toughest presidents or you know, it also seems to me or the president. It's what that particular person had to deal with at the time, you know, because great challenges and great moments, for example, like Eisenhower. Is Eisenhower considered a great.
Speaker 3: President, Well, no, but he's considered a near great president. You know. Theodore Roosevelt was also not considered a great, but a near great president, complained, imagine this, I didn't have a great war or great national security threat to.
Speaker 2: Right, right, isn't even right? Yes, I mean he didn't have that big issue. That's the thing with Ike. I mean everybody remembers Ike from d Day, of course, But like the fifties, everything was great. People came home from the war. The economy was going great. Like my parents, they were able to buy a house, people had a ca more factories were booming, America's economy was growing great. There really wasn't anything for Ike to do, was there.
Speaker 3: Well? You know, Ike, because he was a social right really understood the horrors of war. And I think, you know, the best thing that came out of the Eisenhower years was he avoided foolish wars, including avoiding the pressure to intervene militarily on the side of the French, the French colonialists in Vietnam. He diffused the conflict between Egypt on the one hand, and Israel, France and Britain on the other hand without getting America involved. And he was a moderate president, you know, who kind of bridged the gap between New Deal Democrats and the Joseph McCarthy wing of the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Alan Nickman is our guest professor of history at American University. You've used the term near great and great. So what is a near great president and what is a great president?
Speaker 3: Well, a great president is a president, as I've said, who's led us through enormous challenges. And the great presidents pretty much authorities agreed. There were three of them. George Washington, who led us through the crisis of the founding of the Republic when it was by no means secure that the Republic would survive. Abraham Lincoln, who led us through the Civil War, And Franklin Roosevelt, who led us through the Great Depression and World War Two?
Speaker 2: Right? Was Roosevelt before Roosevelt was elected? I mean, and that was before term limits.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, term limits did not come in until the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: Right, So he served four terms. I believe was Roosevelt.
Speaker 3: First president to serve more than two.
Speaker 2: Served more than two? Well, I mean, was he considered, was he anticipated to be a great leader?
Speaker 3: Not necessarily? You know, there are a lot of doubts about him, because of course he had suffered about with polio. Right, you know, today we would say he was disabled, but in those days they called him a cripple. It was very different. You know, there was a lot of stigma attached, and there were those who were worried that he had the stamina and the good health to be a great president. And he fooled them all but completely.
Speaker 2: How big of a role did his wife play in all of this, because I don't know if it's fact or myth that during his fourth term I've heard stories and maybe she was running the country or that I mean, is that hyperbole? Set me straight?
Speaker 3: That's hyperbole. That was more applicable to Woodrow Wilson after his strokes. And Franklin Roosevelt barely served, you know, just a few months of his fourth term. He died in April, right nineteen forty five.
Speaker 2: Fourth and give him how Harry came in, you know, in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: When Harry came in, served almost an tire full term right.
Speaker 2: Right here in Massachusetts. Obviously, I mean, everybody is very you know Kennedy country, if you will, now, I wanted to ask you about John F. Kennedy. Obviously we all know the tragedy involved there. He was not considered the star of the family. His older brother was who was killed in the wild Kennedy, Yes, Joe ed So his older brother was being groomed to be president. And as I remember with John and as I've read, you know, he was kind of like like to have a good time, which you know, rumors say that he did in the oval office, but when he was president, but he liked to have a good time. Maybe he was the party guy. Maybe he wasn't as serious as his older brother. How did he do when yeah, he was here, was alive, how did he do?
Speaker 3: You know? He was lightly regarded as a senator, right, you know, he wasn't a great senator, unlike later his brother Ted Kennedy of course that became president, but was a great senator. He was pretty lightly regarded, but he rose to the occasion. As President of the United States, he steered us through one of the most perilous crises in the history of the world, the Cuban missile crisis, that easily easily could have led to nuclear war, but for Kennedy's leadership. That also changed his outlook to the world, which he announced at my university in his famous commencement speech at American University that led directly to the most important treaty in the history of the world, the nuclear test span treaty that stopped us from poisoning our oceans, our atmosphere, and our soil. And by the way, my co developer of the Keys to the White House, Vladimir kylis Borack, was a member of the Soviet delegation that came to Washington back then and negotiated the treaty.
Speaker 2: I do want to get to that because I was I was reading up on your methodology. I saw that which was very, very very interesting. We've got I've got some more presidents, and if I don't mention a particular president, please bring it up and we will get to the topic of Trump and Kamala. Vice President Harrison.
Speaker 3: I don't have a prediction yet. I just want to warn you. I think I mentioned that in my email.
Speaker 2: That's fine, I can't I can't get you. You don't want to shoot from the hip. I'm kidding. I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I've been doing this for forty years, and you know my hip is Christine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Alan, But I do want to ask you about the and we'll go over the thirteen questions that I read too and your methodology with that. I do want to get into that, but I want to continue the conversation about presidents who we didn't expect a lot from and they came through. Alan Lickman is our guest professor of history at American University in Washington on WBC's Night Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Gary tag Away for Dan Raig tonight here on WBZ Alan Lickman, our guest professor of history from American University, talking about presidents and those who have exceeded expectations. We will also get into his methodology in the success he's had in predicting the president's or winners the last ten goal rounds. I want to get back to Reagan for a minute because it's so interesting when you mentioned Ronald Reagan and how he's considered to be the great Republican president because things have go gone so far to the right right now. I mean, if Reagan was running today, he'd be a moderate, correct.
Speaker 3: He'd be outside the current MAGA mainstream of the Republican Party. Right. You know, they no longer talk about being Reagan Republicans. They're now Trump Republicans, which is enough like being a Reagan Republican. Remember, Reagan was, you know, very aggressive in promoting American interests and projecting our power abroad and defending and promoting democracy. He was the guy who called the Soviet Union ego empire, that everything has power to try to bring down the Soviet Union, which did happen under his successor, George H. W. Bush. And he avoided social issues like abortion or school prayer. You know, he was Ronald Reagan had some very strong commitments. They were two conservative economics, tax cuts and deregulation and people, and they went to democracy around the world. And the third thing that people don't understand is he was committed to ending a scourge of nuclear weapons. He and Gorbachev came within an inch of a treaty banning offensive nuclear weapons, and it was the military establishments on both sawdi really killed it. But Reagan did have the extraordinary accomplishment of the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty, which got rid of those missiles in Europe which could reach their target in a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, what I always said about Reagan, because as a member of the Screen Actors Guild in nineteen sixty he was for the working man for the working person, where he was the head of the union, and he got one great deal for the actors that has existed for a long time. So while people always thought of Reagan as sort of pro management, there was a time where he was pro labor.
Speaker 3: He started out as a Rose Franklin Roosevelt Democrat. Now he says what pushed him to the right was encountering communist opposition in the unions. But he made quite an odyssey in his political ideology.
Speaker 2: Do you think Reagan was unfairly criticized for his intelligence?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you know, if you look at his radio broadcast, some of his writings, he was much sharper than people made him out to be. He wasn't just this kind of simpleton who was led by the nose by his staff, not at all. I'd like to mention one other surprising president, maybe in some ways, the most surprising president, someone you would have thought of. It's Chester Allen, author who was vice president to James Garfield, who was the collector of the customs in New York, considered a party hacked, corrupt, and of course he became president when Garfield was assassinated, and our incredible shock and surprise. He presided over the enactment of the one of the most important pieces of domestic reform legislation, the Civil Service Reform Act, the Pendleton Act that established the merit system of appointments in the federal administrations, something that of course Donald Trump has threatened to do away with. But you know, it's absolutely opposite of what people thought author represented.
Speaker 2: What do you think it is in that situation that the person rises to the occasion that they realize they have the most important job in the world.
Speaker 3: I think that's a big part of it. But not everyone rises to the occasion. Of course, we've had presidential disasters, the worst of which was Andrew Johnson, of course, who became president upon the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and everything in his power to fraught the integration of the freed slaves into American world life, and as a result of that, became the first American president to be impeached.
Speaker 2: Do you feel who do you feel he is the worst American president?
Speaker 3: Well, he's certainly down on the bottom, you know, with James Buchanan, Donald Trump, Franklin Pierce.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Trump. Is there anything good? And I don't mean to get political but in his home.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get political. I'm just giving you the judgment of historians.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, but but pretty consistent, pretty consistent with Trump, With.
Speaker 3: Trump, with Johnson, with Buchanan, they're all down towards the bottom.
Speaker 2: You know, I brought this name up as a surprise, and my wife thought I was nuts. Clinton.
Speaker 3: Clinton, Clinton is a very, very difficult case to analyze.
Speaker 2: I'll come.
Speaker 3: You know, there's not much in the way of huge domestic accomplishments like Social Security or the Wagoner Act or the Affordable Care Act, or the Civil Rights Act or the Voting Rights Act. And you know, he didn't lead us through a major ward and then he got involved stupidly, you know, incredibly with Monica Lewinsky Sattle. But on the other hand, Clinton did preside over peace, tranquility and one of the greatest periods of prosperity in American history, and was the last president to actually balance the federal budget.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I was going to say, right, He balanced the budget, which now seems impossible.
Speaker 3: Oh when they're even close, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we just print more money, that's all. Just you know, I wish I had a money machine in my base, we just print more money.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Clinton was extremely likable. I mean that was even with the I mean the Monica that's I mean, that's just a Travis. But I was totally I was told with somebody that worked with Clinton he was the consummate politician. Is he remembered everybody's name, everybody did, and very appealed.
Speaker 3: I know him, I know him fairly well and very appealing personally. But a womanizer? Can I tell you?
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, well hey, let me ask you, and maybe putting on your spot, is there some connection between political power and the need to be a womanizer?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, you know Henry Kissinger, not exactly. You know, A Rock Hudson in his looks said, you know, power is the ultimate aphrodisiac. And you know, there is certainly seems to be a strong correlation between these men of power and they're womanizing, just so much of it. You know. Maybe the worst was someone we don't want focus on, Warren Harding. I did.
Speaker 2: I Yeah, you got me on that one.
Speaker 3: He was such a womanizer that they had to send his mistress on a trip around the world so she wouldn't embarrass him. In the nineteen twenty campaign, and then he continued an affair with named Britain after he was president and fathered her child. My god, she sued him. Suit didn't go anywhere, but later evidence proved yes it was his child. He actually had a rapid response team to deal with his many accusations of womanizing. And we've discovered these incredibly schemy, explicit letters between himself and his mistress. He even named his member. If that can imagine.
Speaker 2: Whoa slow down? I mean, what year was this?
Speaker 3: He was president, He got elected in nineteen twenty and died in nineteen twenty three. So this is, you know, a long time ago, one hundred years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, so you got to tell us you can't bury the lead. What do you call it?
Speaker 3: I know I'm going to I'm not going to get in to that, but I will say, come on, no, no, no, no, no no. He also said, you know, my marriage is loveless. You know, I have no interest in my wife. And when he died, there was something who thought his wife poisoned him, and she then burned all his official and private papers.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I have where do I go now? I mean, that is just that's got to be a movie. I mean we got to get a scroll. Yeah, oh my word.
Speaker 3: Anyway, enough of Well, I want.
Speaker 2: To ask you about the case. So what do you think about Kennedy and Maryland? I'm sorry, what do you think about Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe?
Speaker 3: I can't I can't confirm or deny, but it certainly fits.
Speaker 2: Well, that's my point is I think. But but we've seen it with the reason I asked the question. I've seen it in media. Look at the guy that ran Fox, Murdoch, not Murdoch, the other guy, Roger Ales. I mean, I mean, he was so common. It's so common, it's unbelievable. It's the it's power is the aphrodisiac. You're right, And whether you're a president of a company or a CEO of a corporation, or you're leading you know, you're leading a country, or you're leading a.
Speaker 3: Political famous rock star actor.
Speaker 2: I mean Martin Luther King, right, I mean, wasn't Martin Luther King a womanizer to supposedly apparently?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: You know, so it's like almost.
Speaker 3: Political ideological lines. Yeah, not unique, although recently, unfortunately, there has been one group that has been particularly prone to scandal and in the most hypocritical way. And that's evangelical Christians.
Speaker 2: I don't get that. I mean, it's so.
Speaker 3: True, it's just amazing.
Speaker 2: It's that's that that that it's and coming up at ten o'clock, my friend who's a writer on the Gemstones is going to be joining us. Boy, what a what a segue there. I have a couple more questions for you here, Alan.
Speaker 3: Can you hang on yeah real fast?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, We're gonna take a break the come back. I have some more questions for Alan Lickman and also find out when he will make his prediction, which he's been very good at. It's all coming up next to WBZ.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, talking about President's at exceeded expectations with the presidential expert Allen Lookman, professor at American University in Washington, d C. I got to ask you Obama was what was what was the feeling when he was elected? Because he didn't how long was he in Congress? Like a term two?
Speaker 3: He was in the Senate just barely just too yeah, I mean year or two came out of nowhere when he made his famous two thousand and four election, not an election, but convey speech that all of a sudden took this unknown guy who was a state senator from Illinois and elevated him into a national candidate. And that was right here in your show, is in PG.
Speaker 2: Is now Heck, no, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: I'll give you the names if you want.
Speaker 2: Sure, go ahead. Let her rip and.
Speaker 3: Her private part Missus Powderson, Warren Harding's letters.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't imagine. No, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows this but me.
Speaker 2: Those are the types of things you learned when Gary Tangway feels in for Dan Ray on Nightside. No, my wife was at the convention here in Boston when Obama spoke, and she called me right away and she said, I just saw the next rock star in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: Your wife is very smart. All right, we have limited time.
Speaker 2: Are you telling me to wrap it up?
Speaker 3: All right? Development of the Keys anyway?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, you're right, you're right, you're right. I'm going to ask you about one more guy, because I think this is my guy that does not get enough credit. Is Gerald Ford.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know Gerald Ford gets a lot of bad raps. You know, he's supposedly the stumble bumb who was tripping. He was the best athlete probably ever to hold the president. I believe he was an All American linement at the University of Michigan. Yes, and he did. You know, he wasn't a great or near great president, but he wasn't nearly as bad. You know, what he did was an enormous service to the country. I hate to say this because I'm no Richard Nixon fan, but pardoning Richard Nixon was the right thing to do because otherwise his presidency would have been completely consumed by the trials of Richard Nixon, who was gone. He had no power, you know, he had already resigned. And it was also important for starting us down the road and some very important deregulations.
Speaker 2: He had to steady the ship. Yes, okay, so let's get to the thirteen keys. Nine out of the last ten elections. You have nailed it, with Gore being the rare exception, so you could be the only exception. We could argue there, So run that down, argue what's that?
Speaker 3: I think I was right. You can check out my report to the United States Commission on Civil Rights. Still on the website that proved the wrong person was elected President Florida screwed up, go should have won. But we're not going to relitigate that now.
Speaker 2: No, we're not. So how do you? When will you make your prediction on this election? And just tell us about your in.
Speaker 3: A week, within a week.
Speaker 2: Within a week, and what's your process.
Speaker 3: The thirteen keys are different from the pundits, which have no scientific basis, and the pulsters, which produce snapshots not predictions. They're based on how elections really work, based on voters voting up or down, on the strength and performance of the White House Party. They're thirteen key factors, and if six or more go against the White House Party, they're predicted losers. Otherwise they're predicted winners. They're things like midterm elections, incumbency party, contests for the incumbent party, third party, short and long term economy, policy change, social unrest, scandal, foreign successes and failures, and only two keys relate to the candidates, and they're very high threshold keys.
Speaker 2: When I read the keys, I thought, okay, this makes sense, and a lot of it's just your common sense exactly.
Speaker 3: They're intuitive like these complicated you know, political science models that no one can understand.
Speaker 2: Well, right, you know you said, it's simply a lot of it has to do with the economy. You know, it's the economy stupid.
Speaker 3: That's part of it. Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, because people vote with their pocketbook.
Speaker 3: But not always. You know, Hillary Clinton should have won in twenty sixteen. It was a good economy pubet. Humphrey should have won in nineteen sixty eight. It was one of the greatest economies ever had the nineteen sixties. So not always.
Speaker 2: The thing with Hillary is why I have more indicators and you're smart. The thing with Hillary is, and even some women, she just wasn't likable, which bring in the eyes of some.
Speaker 3: I mean, I voted for her, but so Richard Nixon was likable when he won in nineteen sixty eight and nineteen seventy two. It was one of the most unlikable political figures ever had. Humphrey was a very likable guy, very affable.
Speaker 2: I think it's a tougher I think it because I think the hardest thing for women, I think is to be tough, and like I think women get a bad rat. I think it's a tough challenge for a woman. I think it's easier for a man to be in a position of power than a woman because a woman has to check.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, but again, my system, what's at the strength and performance of the White House Party. That's why I was able to pick Trump in twenty sixteen, which did not make me popular in ninety percent plus Democratic Washington d C. I'm teach at AU American University. But I did get a letter of congratulations which said congrats, profess, a good call and a big sharpie letters signed Donald J. Trump.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go. You can put that on the wall if you will.
Speaker 3: It's on my wall right here in my study.
Speaker 2: I have to ask you one final question because I'm going to get into this in a little bit. Vice President Harris, and I think she's extremely likable. I don't think it's going to come down to the issues. I just think that if you don't like Trump, you're going to vote for her. And I think she played it safe with the CNN interview, and if she continues to play it safe, that's our best shot.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with you, but again, my system, and you know I'll have my prediction within a week, does not turn on the events of the campaign. That's why I was able to predict reagan re election in nineteen eighty four, nineteen eighty two, Obama's reelection in twenty ten, the defeat of Republicans in two thousand and eight in two thousand and six before I even knew who the candidates were.
Speaker 2: Interesting stuff. Well, we look forward to it, Alan, We will be watching. I assume you will announce this via social media.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it should also come out in the New York.
Speaker 2: Times, okay, Alan.
Speaker 3: And we're doing a video. And the video shows I'm not just history nerd. It features my gold medal win in the Maryland Senior Olympics for the eight hundred meter dash and my nineteen eighty one number one quis show win on tic Tac dough.
Speaker 2: I saw that too, but let's not forget about it says that you're a former three thousand meters steeplechase champion.
Speaker 3: Yes i am. I was the sub Submasters North American three thousand meters steeplechase champion, the race designed for horses run by people.
Speaker 2: He's a man for all seasons. Alan Lickman a pleasure professor of history at American University, will be looking for your prediction to the White House within a week.
Speaker 3: Take care, Thanks for the interview.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming on. Very interesting stuff, great guy, true character, very obviously a very smart man. We're going to get into some TV. We're going to get into the Gemstones, We're going to get into a local guy who's done good in Hollywood. Chris Pappis, writer, director, producer, joins us. Coming up at ten o'clock here on.
Speaker 1: WBZ Now back to Dan Way Live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back, Gary Tank Waine for Dan roy tonight allan Lickman, always a great guest, very interesting guy. In a week, he will have his prediction for the White House, whether it be Trump or whether it be Vice President Kamala. Harris could be interesting to see his thirteen Keys to the White House. And as he mentioned, a lot of it's just common sense, the economy, whether the country is at war, who's controlling the House, who's controlling the Senate. And I did watch the Harris interview on CNN with Dana Bash and she didn't screw it up. That's kind of the way I look at it. She talked about a four thousand dollars tax credit for families, promoting the middle promoting the middle class. Now, I did not watch it live. I mean, who does anybody watch anything live anymore?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, so I what, But people who did watch it live said that they felt like she didn't really say anything. She didn't go out on a limb. Obviously, she's gonna be for the middle class. She's gonna be for the middle class. She's talking about young families. She's talking about young family and it is so expensive now, I mean, things are out of control. I mean the price talking about groceries, the price for food, so for it's just things that we have taken for granted. How families are gonna need help with that? So that seems to be pretty democratic. That seems to be kind of right along the party line that you would expect. I didn't think. I don't look at that. For Vice President Harris to come out and say, you know, families with young children are going to get a fourth one thousand dollars tax credit so they can afford better food. I don't look at that as communism, you know, or some far radical left idea at all. I look at that as compassion call me crazy. I just think it's just having compassion. That's what That is. The one thing I do think she needs to work on, though. She needs to be more concise. It's a sink when she speaks. She wanders still a little bit. And that's something that President Obama. Obama was very good at. That's something that Trump is good at. When Trump says something, he says it with confidence. He says it clearly. It may be insane, it may be crazy. It may be saying you can cure the pandemic with bleach, but he says it clearly, and he sells it. He sells it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You may not be buying, but there are a lot of people that are a lot of people are buying it. She waffles a little bit sometimes it really is. I gotta be honest with you folks. Quite often it's the way you say it. It's how you say it as opposed to what you say, and that's that's that's nuts. But take it from a guy that's been in the media thirty years. There's a lot of truth in that. She needs to get a lot of She needs to get smoother in that regard. I think that's what needs to happen there, but people, you know. And another thing she said in the interview that well, there's only like sixty eight days left in the election. Everybody keeps talking about Oh, the question, I'm sorry, let me back up speaking of it, speaking clear clearly. The question was asked by Dana Bash. She said, you know, are you looking at would you have a Republican in your cabinet? And she said yes, And she asked Vice President Harris, are you looking at names? Are you thinking about who would be in your cabinet? And so of course she goes, oh, no, I have to worry about the election. There's only sixty something days left. And maybe my math is off, but I think I'm in the ballpark. It's a bunch of crap when people talk about there's only so much time left. And when they were talking about replacing Joe Biden with her, they had to do it sooner than later, and you had to do it before the convention. No, you don't was in such an immediate society. I am convinced that someone could jump into the presidential race now and if they had the right message win now. It's obviously it's not going to happen because the Democrats and the Republicans have their person. But for the sake of this argument, everything is so immediate.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, even as tragic as the attempt on President Trump's life was, people have forgotten about it. And you should not. And I'm not a Trump person, I'm not a Trump guy, but you should not forget about that. The person almost lost his life, which would have been absolute hell and a disaster. But with the news cycle now it's like, what have you done for me in the last twenty four hours? What have you done for I just think that's the way it is, you know, And when it comes to and one of the reasons I wanted to talk down on Lickman is when it comes to evaluating someone's vice presidency, I mean, really, look the one thing about Harris, she should have gone to the border. I don't understand why she didn't. It would have been a photo op. She could have gone down there and represented Joe. But I don't understand why she didn't. And I don't think it's her call, to be quite honest with you, I think the administration would have should have made the call. We said, listen, Vice President Harris would want you to go on the border photo. Oh blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. And in the interview with Bash, she did say, look, Trump's people negated the bipartisan deal they had to improve things at the border. They did. Look, the border is just the elephant in the room. Is the way I see it is either you shut it down or you don't. And people want to look at America as the land of opportunity, where you know, my grandparents came from My great grandparents came from Canada and Prince Edward Island and you know before that, Ireland, And well it's not the same anymore. It's not the same situation. Immigration needs to be controlled and if they wanted to, if they wanted to control it, to control it. Trump didn't want this administration to control it because he wanted to use it as a political blag. He didn't want them to come up with a solution. He wants to come up with a solution. No, no, no, that's mine. Wait for me. And it's not as simple as build a wall. But I still think that it's attainable and you can do it, and for whatever reason, neither party has done it. You can control immigration, you can control the boarder. If this is going to be cliche, but it's true. If you can put a person on the moon, you can do it. And I know it's big, I know there's a lot of land, and I know it's going to cost money. But you can do it. You can do it. I just don't think either party wants to do it because they like to use it for political purposes. That's what they do. They want to use it for political purposes. It drives me nuts. You can have controlled immigration, and I understand, I'm talking thousands of miles, We're talking a lot of construction. We're talking people. Power creates jobs. You want to create jobs while you're president. Let's control the border. Let's get a system where people can come into this country and work and look for a new life without having to cross a river with their three kids with the risk of drowning. It can be done. I just don't think the powers will be wanted. That's what Gary Tanglis is here at nine fifty seven on Labor Day. Have you seen the Righteous Jemstones? Dynna McBride is hilarious, John Goodman is great, and that there are so many great actors in that series. And one of the reasons is so good is a guy right here from Massachusetts has taken part of it. He's my buddy, Chris Pappas. And we continue our theme of Bostonians who have done well in Hollywood. That's all coming up next to ten o'clock right here on WBZ Boston News Radio,