Speaker 1: Hey guys, Dano here letting you all know that our near two hour review of Last Exit to Springfield with former Simpsons writer and co writer of the episode, Jay Cogan, is available right now on our Patreon. This show is our sole income, so if you're a fan of everything we do, we'd love for you to join the forefinger discount family today and gain access to over one hundred and fifty hours of exclusive content. So go ahead and show your support for as little as just one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash four figure discount.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we're descended from slave owners.
Speaker 1: Me neither, But once the Simptons were in management four finger.
Speaker 3: Discount, dude, welcome two four finger discount with this is what we hear to review.
Speaker 1: An absolute stinker of a Simptons of so the color yellow. I'm dando guy. Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, then, look, I must admit my expectations were close to rock bottom.
Speaker 1: Going into this like that. I get the feeling any.
Speaker 4: Time a show maybe tries to tackle the very thorny topic of.
Speaker 1: Race, and particularly the sort of history and legacy of slavery in America, there's.
Speaker 4: A chance that it's either going to be incredibly tone definite sensitive or hand ringingly kind of apologetic, and that latter one probably justified, but at the same time not necessarily that entertaining.
Speaker 1: There's no there's no in this. Yeah, there's no. He's the thing that I thought.
Speaker 4: There were plenty of gags in this, and some more than a few that actually worked pretty well.
Speaker 1: I think for me, I'm watching this going I just don't see the point of any of this. Yeah. I got to the end and I went, what did I just watch? Because okay, let's start some positives, right, okay, and positives have nothing to do with this episode, all right, It's just that it happened to me this week. So I've got a new TV, so let's talk that. That's good. The color was not yellow. The color was very vibrant. I bought a for those who playing your home, a Samsung eighty three inch S ninety five f O lead TV.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, the lovely Luise recently bought a new TV, new Samsung. First first thing she said to me was like, it's as thin as a postcard. Yeah, it's very thin. Yeah, so this sum is incredibly vibrant as well. I'm like, did you you got floor stock. You got the one that looks like it actually is on when you go into JB or The Good.
Speaker 1: Guys or whatever. She hadn't taken off store mode yet. Deftly correct, but please can. Yeah, it's a it's a matte finish. It's very it's anti glare technology and they've never done it before, and I wass I bought it. Sort of threw a mate who works at the store. You're like a pink Shutgary. I'm not babular enough to have a new bread. So I got it and put it on, and I was like, this is great because you can literally shot a torch it and doesn't reflect. It's just anti reflects. Because the annoying thing was when you were watching TV in the living area. Tip to people at home, if you're trying to enjoy your TV, don't don't shy torch at it. But the thing is the kitchen light will beyond or the dining area light beyond a bit giant glare right in the middle of the screen like kids are in their dinner. I'm trying to watch TV. I just have to put up with it because I've got they can't eat in the dark. But now they come in flashing torches. But now now it's fine. Yeah, it's really good and it looks great and finally can watch four K movies in four K in HDR and all all that is good news. Also, the HDR is kind of dull, though it's very well, I know, the blacks are meant to be black and all this kind of stuff, and I'm going, but it's very dark.
Speaker 4: It's amazing how on the same page you and Lou when it comes to this thing, because I think we were flicking between channels or something, it's like, wow, the blacks are really black. Yeah, which leads us into the color hell.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts.
Speaker 4: As I said, now, I thought this had the possible to go all kinds of wrong, and honestly for the first maybe third and I was like, this ain't great. It's an okay setup. I think the sort of like going back into history. And there's been a lot of talk I think in recent year, maybe the last couple of decades, probably before that, but it seems most you know, so in the two thousands, there's been a lot about, particularly with wide Americans, reckoning with your legacy in your past and that kind of thing. And it's like I think you know the show is that who do you think you are? Where they talk about your history. Yeah, and I think they had the American version of that. They were going to profile Ben Affleck or Ben Affleck was going to be on it, and then you sort of look back into his past like, oh, I think we might have been slave owners back in the day. And I don't know if he pulled the pin on it or his pr or his PR said, but anyway, something like that.
Speaker 1: You've just throw an afflic under the bus. It might not have been athletic or do you Definitely, I'm pretty sure it has been out usually right with these days. Matt Damon told me this, So yeah, I mean I think it could be. I think it's an interesting topic. I think you've got to be, as I said, very delicate in how you handle it. And for the first third of this at least, it felt like, no, this is just sort of going through the motions. Was the story that I feel like we've had before. And that was another one of my gripes, at least of the Simpson right sure, where she's trying to figure out why the Simpson gene is always so dumb. As you realize the female Simpson Jean is actually really smart and they succeed, and the this, that and the other, going, are we just forgetting all this? Oh? You know you're we've already I know this is what twenty one? So this is twelve years ago. That's not an entire generation, but twelve twelve year is a long time, but still an arm As watch's going, it just feels like the same thing. It's not exactly the same, but it was close enough for me to just go, Yeah, but how many of our new pals from Simpson's HQ who have been speaking to us on the show, I've been saying, you know, forget Canon, forget timeline, all that kind of stuff. So I guess that is the case. I don't mind about Cannon, but the thing is, you just tell them the same story. Yeah, Well what do I always say? Though?
Speaker 4: You know, taking existingly put a clock in it. There's only so many times you can put a clock in But this.
Speaker 1: Time they took existing idea to put a slave in it, and that's why it works so effectively.
Speaker 4: You'll see that I'm doing these terrible jokes in bad days, But for mine, this episode kind of kicked into gear a little but when they made a joke that felt a little bit risky and it's not, you know, provocative, But I.
Speaker 1: Thought this was actually pretty good gag.
Speaker 4: When it sort of revealed, oh, oh my god, we were slave, I think Homer said, oh God, for once, the Simpsons were in management. Yeah, so that's a joke that really skirts the line of bad taste. But it's also I think it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's not on the nose so much that even kids at home wouldn't they're probably over their heads, you know what I mean. But the adults are home and go, I see what you did there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And look, a lot of the gags that I enjoyed in this aren't necessarily of that ILK called that that mode. A lot of them are just sort of pretty straightforward sitcom gags. A lot of them worked for me pretty well. And I think by the final Yeah, in the last half of this episode, I was like, this has got some okay structure to it in a lot of ways. I'm not I'm not sure how I felt about the ending.
Speaker 1: Well, it just there's two ways of looking at the ending, right. So the ending is that Grandpa explains that no, actually, your family doesn't descend from this what would you call what? What was harm with it? His name? M Yeah? Yeah? What what was just a white slave owner? I guess just a descend from slave owners. We descend from actual slaves, right, which throws so much out the window. It doesn't make any sense. But like continuity, timeline whatever. Now that aside, The problem is why are they now Simpsons? Then because him was the Simpson's she divorced him, and then it said because he didn't have a last name, Virgil the slave when she made him, he took her last name. What was her last name? Simpson? It doesn't make any sense when you put it that way. Yeah. Now here's another thing that I had Simpsons there because the show is called the Simpson But he's explaining this story and even Lisa's like, so we didn't descend from them. I was like, we didn't descend from Simpsons either, who are you? Eliza is actually not related to you. Eliza was Marge's or Mabel's daughter, So Eliza is a half rel half blood relative. Then I get that right, Oh, man, don't get me started on family trees. And yeah, because it's what I'm really confusing. It's why But the other side of looking at the grandpas story was though he saw how sad Lisa was knowing this, he made it up on the spot.
Speaker 4: That's what I thought, because you see his face going, oh, look how sad she is. I'm going to rework the timeline to make her happier.
Speaker 1: You're not racist. I mean, that's.
Speaker 4: Honestly what I thought for a second there, because why include that shot of him looking like maybe I can save the day here by coming up with something out of whole cloth.
Speaker 1: And I think they tried to sort of get arounded by saying, why didn't you tell us till now because we're all old and racist, and it's like that doesn't make sense, no, And that felt like to me what I was saying earlier, where you know episodes or shows that acknowledged this kind of thing, there's really thorny, complicated, complicated A polite way of putting it to history can get kind of like very apologetic and.
Speaker 4: Often justifiedly suck. That's at the same time was like you went all this way with it, dodging that bullet.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I honestly thought that that what Grandpa was doing. He just he just made some shit up. Yeah, people just say shit, and Lisa was so blind by wanting to not need to be righteous. Yeah, absolutely, she chose to turn a blind eye to it all. The other thing that annoys me, and I've said this before on the podcast, is when they do one hundred years Ago in Springfield and it's all just the same characters in the same roles. No one is so Smithers relatives were working for Bath like you're animated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you mean, I know, we like our core characters and things like that, and we like seeing them in sort of different scenarios or whatever.
Speaker 1: But it's like great great grandfather, he's the police officer. Yeah, you don't necessarily, you don't have to hire new actors. You can keep costs down. You can just draw something and it might mean more, it might feel more different if it's not just you know, Colonel Burns and he's like he's Smithers and of course it's Colonel Burts. And it's really weird ending for the Burns arc there where he pops out in the library and he says, what does he say.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard my father's name in agent, so, which means he's really old. I mean, that's one thing I one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: So the colonel, So the colonel was his father, But then in Rose it's like, so is he is the colonel the guy from rosel I know, Timeline, just like.
Speaker 4: I hadn't thought about that. The reason that I thought it was not bad was because you've initially it's being told through the Simpson's eyes. They're going through the dire. It's like, oh, okay, well this is one point of view of history.
Speaker 1: I thought it was actually pretty not rad. That's overselling it, dope. I thought it was wigwig whack when that was good? When when.
Speaker 4: When Millhouse stood up at the assembly, did the slow clap, is like, here's another version or he yeah, he's he's another perspective, and then yeah, look they didn't really oversell this or go too far with it. But when burn sticks his head out in the library and goes, oh, you know, my father was involved in this as well, and he's his I thought we were going to get more of his perspective, which don't think we did.
Speaker 1: The thing is so, so what was the point of this episode, What was the point of it? What? What? What? What were they going for here with this? That's what I got to the end and I went, why did I need? What did I just watch? Well?
Speaker 4: Sorry, you didn't really learn a whole lot. Well you learned a whole lot of new stuff about the Simpsons family, or did you. Yeah, you didn't really sort of know where they stood on other than on a very sort of but.
Speaker 1: It's made it's it's a made up revisionist issue of the family. It's like we've had we've got their thoughts on oppressive and divisive issue, but you know they really take the earth chattering position that slavery bad. Yeah, and Eliza I just went on to live a very miserable life without a mother. Is that what happened? Did she? So she's, oh, that's right, because that's you don't get to speak. You have to write your feelings in diaries and we'll discover it years later. Oh God, forgot about that, Virgil And was her name margin Mabel? Mabel? They went to Canada. They left the Canada and just left poor Eliza by herself with the dad. Oh. She just yeah, you probably should have you probably should have added like a.
Speaker 4: CODEA or something or where It's like, I don't know, she became like Louis and mayo little women.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw what happened to her. She lived miserable. She finds the video in the library. That's scared. So she just the rest of her life. She's just abandoned by her mother and left to think that she's Oh, I hadn't I hadn't thought about that. I'm just I'm clearly heartless. But because that sucks, because the thing is, she lived her life apparently, Eliza. I know this is all just lot, it's just a cartoon. But if I'm in the writer's room, I'm asking these questions. We need to make logic of this, or don't do it. So Lisa goes to the library and randomly just finds some the correct video of Eliza being interviewed, saying that she lived her life miserable, known that she sold out shet, she sold out this, or she was part of a family that sold out the slave. But she would have known that the slave left because he left with her mum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you need a scene where this could be a bit of a downer, where you know, maybe Lis would have saying I have to go, or you know, I have to I have to take Virgil of freedom or something. I have to do what you couldn't you know, I'm coming around your way.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to throw I'm trying to throw band aids on all these cracks. And it's just like I don't but I don't care enough to do this. Just break you're throwing. You're throwing band aids on someone who's fallen from one hundred story building. Yeah, like the Numby ain't putting you back together again. This is just a pointless episode. I just was not a fan. I just got to the end, mainly because I'm racist, correct, But what is going And I thought, because I've never seen the color purple, and because of the title, I thought, maybe this is just a take on the color yellow. I cut the color purple, and I'm just because I haven't seen the source material, it's just lost on it. It's not related, and so it's not So what fucking guy's name? What were they doing here with this? What was the point of any of this when the twelve years a Slave come out twenty twelve, twelve is a Slave wasn't even out yet. I don't get what they were going for. It's such a random thing to do. I wonder if it air during Black history month. I mean, okay, then, so I guess that's the point Black History Month. Yeah, I get ya. But still favorite moments, my favorite didavity I had of you. I mean, like I mentioned, I thought the one I've got a real bad cough at the moment, listeners were a pretty good cough.
Speaker 4: I yeah, But once the Simpsons were in management, I thought was not a bad gag. I liked the whole Why was it called the underground railroad? No, it was not a railroad, and it was no actual trains and it was actually above ground. Well why was it called the above ground train? Things like, yeah, good point. Yeah, the whole quick while you're ahead motto was like it was just unfinished. That's pretty good. My favorite partner. Yeah, that's actually that's sort of like Golden Age gag. And also this is a very this is a dumb gag.
Speaker 1: But it kind of worked for me.
Speaker 4: Hey boy, wanted your marjor On Selmer and tell us, tell us she's ugly. It's a nice nod to, you know, the Civil Rights movie and.
Speaker 1: The big march in Selmo back in the back in the day, and at the end, nice Lincoln cameo. That kind of worked. Yes, yes, it was.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to say all time or of a gag. It's like it did help end slavery, so he did. Yes, yes, it.
Speaker 1: Ties in Those are probably my favorites. I also like just the banner out the front of the school when they do a Black History month next month March. Yes, next question, you there eating the beast? All right? Trivia time? What top of car does Skinner drive in this episode? At least kios? Okay, yes, indeed, in missus Hoover's lesson plan, what day does she have a film strip day or date day? I think it was like a Thursday, very close. It was Friday, Friday. Go a round out with a film strip. Yeah, I'm trying to look. I think I'm visualizing the camera and going it seems like Thursday. How many times has Virgil tried to escape? Twelve? Said four? Oh? Really this is my fourteenth? She those my first time, and hears this is my fourteenth.
Speaker 4: Oh I thought he said it was his twelfth. But no, I think you're probably right. Fourteenth sounds better because.
Speaker 1: Fourteenth doesn't sound like twelve. I don't I so sure how would have maybe? Maybe I'm yeah, twelve years of slave probably am you know?
Speaker 4: There was a Reader's Digest by centennial edition. I believe by a centennial edition. I believe in the headlines, aren't you only one? I didn't get them?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Who explained the plot of the sting in that edition of Reader's Digest? It was Dick Cabot, was it?
Speaker 1: It was? There was a whole bunch of those in there. I'm like, could have fun with this, but so what so what's the gag there? Are you aware of? Readon? Do you know what Read's Digest is? Or yeah, well you used to see dropped off of their house all the time. Yeah, I don't want these, I just take them. What's the people from Readers? Please take the people just come to the door and say, would you like some Readers Digests? We're like no, fine, like just take them. Oh, I don't know. Maybe it wasn't just maybe it was. I think are you thinking like Jehovah's Witnesses Wness book? Yes, that's only completely yeah yeah yeah, but these little books and we're like we don't want them, like, just just take them up. We don't fucking want give them to somebody who does want. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, Read's Digest was essentially like a little bridged books. We used to them in the house. Yeah, like a magazine, but also would have like, I can't be bother reading the whole book, give me the gist. It was pretty much, you know, predated everything that we're living in now, the tiktoks. God, yeah, that's exactly right, the YouTube shorts of books.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Dick Cabott was in there. All right, your next question finally for me? Who was in Ralph's dream? Oh? Elmo? Yeah? And oh was it cast a toy story? Have a buzz light year? I think? Oh, okay, I thought he said el Elmo on toy story. Maybe maybe I had other toy story. I just had buzz light He was in my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a note here. Let's have a moratorium on Ralph until you can come up with better gags.
Speaker 1: Other than that, I'm stupid, Yeah, because adds nothing.
Speaker 4: He is adding nothing, and you are diminishing the good will that I have towards Ralph. Even you know, what's the Tutor Choose Me episode?
Speaker 1: What's it called? That's He's breakout episodes? Yeah, I know, but what's the title of the I Love Lisa? I Love Lisa yeah, I love that episode, and we guess hero's ending. That's the hero's ending. Yeah, he's not an idiot.
Speaker 4: And everything that you're doing right now Simpsons during season twenty one is really sort of just diminishing any good will I've got towards Ralph and character.
Speaker 1: I don't mind.
Speaker 4: And you need that kind of you need a character who can say just really dumb shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the thing is sheep laughs, and the characters in Springfield, now, the characters in the Simpsons even they don't even care anymore. They used to be. Who will be bothered by his stupid No, Ralph, it's this I'm sorry, one of the best lines. The children are right to laugh at your sorry. That's a fucking killer. The thing is now that it's so apathetic towards and he's just doing that. Yeah, just ignore it. So what's the point of it? I've got the what's the point? Yeah, what is the point? I want one more question? Could we'll have two more, but I'm going to give you just one. What is the name of the librarian who who points Lisa into the film stripper? Give me a clue of the first letter of her name. Well, who's Batman's mum. Ah god, I shouldn't know this. Oh my god, how do I not know this? Now? Who is it? Martha? Martha? I should have known that, because now I knew when I was a kid. I'm like, it sounds like my mum's am Marsha. But my brain's fried from being a dad mate and staying up to late watching this new overly television. It's so bright. Well, the thing is about the birthday point again, because we have liked like a week's break there, right, so my new TV and I'm watching the new movies. I'm like, this looks so clear, and I'm like, it's three o'clock in the morning. Oh yeah, man, kind of bed.
Speaker 4: I had the lo fi che bars version of what you've had, not in terms of TV. But we've talked in the past about those cheap Blu ray players you get to play.
Speaker 1: Multi region discs. Yeah, Lazis, they're amazing, yeah yeah, And they clearing them out and they're not producing them anymore. That they're selling for one hundred and sixty. And it's the guy at the store said, once these are gone, they're not get them anymore.
Speaker 4: O Holy moly, Oh should I better go buy another one because the think about it, they were great, except the tray won't well, won't.
Speaker 1: Will get stuck? Will it? Yeah? Online at least that's the reason to get rid of myne hasn't happened yet. Yeah, that's the reason I've had to junk the last two that I've had. Can't you just like fix it somehow? I'm sure it's a YouTube video, can fix it.
Speaker 4: I've been looking for that really, because you know how I'm co I am given to me.
Speaker 1: I've got it in that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I was gonna put it out on the nature strip with a sign saying, if you can.
Speaker 1: Fix the trait, it's yours. Yeah, there'll be a way to fix it.
Speaker 4: I'd say, Okay, well I'll keep looking. Yeah, because you know how un coordinated, unhandy eye. I actually broke out the tools. I actually unscrewed screws now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, the think of it is, I bought because I wanted to watch one of my discs that is regional locked, and that's what you watch on the laser wasn't opening.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I gotta go get a new one. And when I got the new ones, like I've got so many movies to Yes, I was up really like going, now go on this one and this one For those of you technodes out there. When it comes to physical media, I've got the patison at UB eight twenty, which is like the mother of four K players, right, And I've got a mate who I know who does this on eBay for one hundred bucks, he multi regioned it for me. WHOA, yeah, so it's multi regioned UB eight twenty. I can play all my US Blue rays on it now for a hundred bucks. All right, you're gonna have to give guy the hook. Guy, you gotta give guy the look, said he lives in Malvine to send it to him, and he posted it back to me. And I'm like, I'm just playing casually playing a US Blu ray on this. No issues now, very envious. Here we go. So the stut tree had to fix the broken How to rescue a broken CD player.
Speaker 4: On a laser? I'll imagine it be on anything. This is cincillating content that I'm asual not I'll find.
Speaker 1: For you later. I g I would be dumbfounded if I don't find something to help you fix it. Okay, then I'm glad ipen do you know how to use a screwdriver? Yeah, okay, I took the top off and everything. I was looking around and there go. Now what see you, guys, is why your blue rays don't work? Oh I left the screw driver. I'm like, I'm like that surge of oh, so I left a scalpel in your body. The funny thing is, I magine it was just like some sort of like hardcore porn blue. That's why I can't take it to the shop. They'll know my secret che Epstein Files. Let's get him to some speaking of the Epstein Files, the speaking of the Stonecutters, and then the list I think goes our patron. Yes I'm stone Cutters. Started with the incredible KTG. Think it's much for your support, Katie, you absolute champion. Absolutely certainly not found in the Epstein fist No, not indeed, And the following people may or may not be found in the Epstein Files. We've got Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Prut, Shanny Macher, Elliott j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean d V. Pete Anderson, Timothy Bearlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood, Bellow, Window Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath, Appleby, Adrick McLeod, March eleven, Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, Tillia, Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James Shepard, Joe Reading, Sec, Dave Pretzels, McNelly, Gavin Lang, Dmi Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharpcater and Craig Alt Smash Glocester. I don't think any of those were in the mcn files. Maybe maybe one of them is one of them. I reckon it might be. I tell you, gets try to figure it out. The answer surprise. We love each and every one on the stone gathers indeed. All right. So the original air d of The Color Yellow was February twenty first, twenty ten. The top three films at the US box office when this episode aired. Wasn't a great time for cinema, Not gonna lie to three films were number three Valentine's Day. It's come right down for number one because it was like one last week. It's not Valentine's Day anymore.
Speaker 4: Number two to remember who was in Valentine because they always had those all star casts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure who's the dude? I want to say, Ashton Kutcher was in there. Yeah, no, no, no, Bradley Cooper was in one of them. He was in love? Actually was he in Valentine's Day? He wasn't in love? Actually? I always thought was Brody Cooper young brother keeper spitting over killer rightly at the end. No, that's Andrew Lincoln from the Walking Lincoln, Walking Dead, dude, you're right, yes, apologize. Yeah. I always get those two confused. They kind of look similar a little bit.
Speaker 4: I was watching this B movie the other day and there's a guy in who's never really sort of gone to do too much, but he's a dead ring for Bradley Cooper, and I'm like, that must really suck if you're just some guy who's like, I'm going to Hollywood and get it.
Speaker 1: It was Cooper in Valentine's Day? Yeah, he isn't that? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, Jammie Fox just get Alba. Yeah, Dane and Holloway, Dane, Jessica Biel, Julie Roberts in the Taylor Swift, Ashton Kutcher, Emma Roberts. That is crazy caste.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, yeah, twenty tents was kind of a weird wastelam because Gary Marsham made a whole bunch of those.
Speaker 1: He made like New Years, Mother's Day in news Eve, not news Day. It was boring movie hung over and nothing's open? Yeah, so what else is at the box office? Number two was Avatars come up from number four. I thought Avatar would just open up to number one or has it just been up there for a while, And so I went number four back number two again maybe And number one was Shutter Island. Well, it's pretty good Scorsese movie.
Speaker 5: Is that.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it, have you not? It's good? Yeah, man, just really Shutter Island, Shutter Island. I was looked at the boat that it covered. I was like, eh, well it's got a black cover. Yeah, it's just Leo looking. Yeah. No, it's good, okay, really good cast. Great.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not even gonna say anything more. I was about to say something that mat you know, spoil something, even spoil something.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, don't don't even look, don't look at anything, don't look at anything. Just watch it's going blind. Yeah, man, it's like my word blind with Project Hail Mary. I hadn't read the book, I knew nothing. Somehow I avoided all spoilers, right. I thought it was fantastic. I just thought Gosling was just like unbelievable in it. So good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you could learn more about this if you'd like to tune into the movie guard with Moulton Day when.
Speaker 1: We talk about it. Yes, just just a fantastic movie. I probably wouldn't take it to Elliott to see it just yet.
Speaker 4: It could be a bit overwhelming. It's there's no graphic or anything, but there's a lot.
Speaker 1: And I think the concept of it all would just be lost in him. A bit could be it because the scene where, without spoiling anything, the scene where he's getting told he has to do something he doesn't want to do it. Yes, Elliott wouldn't get what's going on there. No, yeah, no spoilers, Yeah, no spoils. Great movie. Oh yeah, great movie. We are fans of Project hal Mary in this dough. Do you think Gosling could potentially be a nomination for a Best Actor with that movie, considering he did it all basically solo.
Speaker 4: I think, look, given how well it's done, we'll see how things go for the rest of the year. But this is really shaping up, as you know, dmently we're only in like we're in April, yep. But this has made something close close to something like five hundred million dollars worldwide after only a few weeks.
Speaker 1: This is without home video releases that's where used to make it bank Absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's gonna make a billion dollars, but I think, you know, it'll top out somewhere around the maybe seven hundred.
Speaker 1: I think Goslin's the most bankable star we've got now very much. So what do you want to pose? And people are going to go watch it? Oh? Yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 4: And yeah, given the level of work that he does in this that he's kind of the driver of it because as I said in our review, I mean, all props to the puppeteers and the voice of Rocky.
Speaker 1: How good was that? No spoilers? Yeah, but you don't buy it without Gosling, right nah? Yeah? So yeah, I would put folding money on him getting at least a nomination for Best act I hope so, and I hope he kind of not lays too low. But just until Star Fighter comes out, let's not be swamped with Goslin. Don't pratify him. Here's yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 4: Well here's the I mean, he's got star Fighter coming up, and I don't know if he does have something else. On top of that, he was going to be in the next movie by the guys who made everything everywhere all at once, this team called the Daniels, and that was for about a week and they said no, he's not in it, or his people said no, he's not in it.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe he's right, maybe he's being something clever and saying, you know what, guys, I don't want you to justlike Ryan goes. Well, they had a trailer for Mando and Grogu right before this movie, and you felt the collective grow when Pedro hare on the screen. Oh really, you can just feel it in the room. Everyone's like, oh, this fucking guy. Which is a shame because when Manday first started, it was like this guy is great.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and he's great on the Last of Us and he's he's really like Pedro.
Speaker 1: But it's just I think it's his off screen stuff that's really sour people. Maybe a lot Yeah, people go, did you be It's like, I have no issue, But it's just like He's just everywhere.
Speaker 4: And I said, you saw that with Pratt as well, like either the act of themselves or more likely their representation that is saying to strike while the iron's hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's too much. Yeah, and it's like we've seen too much of you now we hate you. Yeah. Anyway, but yeah, Gosling fantastic in Projectail Mary. Indeed this episode not so much. So let's go through it. Yah, as I said originally add February twenty first, twenty ten, rend T Brown as Vergil do you know anything about rent Bro?
Speaker 4: I knew nothing about ren T Bro. Some research on him I from the Wikipedia page.
Speaker 1: Let me. Let me tell you a bit.
Speaker 4: American actor, film producer, theater director and musical theater director known for his work in film, television and voice acting, producing artistic director of quote the first and only African American professional equity theater company in Los Angeles. It's called the Ebony Repertory Theater that was founded to create a world class professional theater rooted in the experience of the African diaspora diaspora pardon me. More importantly, though, Rentie Brown has appeared in the following movies. Underseage two, Dark Territory and hell Raiser four Blood Legacy.
Speaker 1: Sign me up. Yeah, man, you know it. I watched in HDR yesterday Predator two Wild was awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, get every drop of sweat. Yeah, Oh, such a sweaty movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Love Predator too. I've always I'll.
Speaker 4: Talk about this with a friend of my own. Line is like, there's Predator and RoboCop. I think that came out the same I think they're both eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or maybe eighty seven. Maybe Rogue Coops eighty six. I think they're the same year. Yeah, I think it was eighty seven and then three.
Speaker 4: His lady, you've got their sequels printed. And RoboCop Bonavote Stone cold classics of the genre and of any genre in all honesty, but I almost feel too good to take out every time. They're like a dinner date, whereas Prejudic Too and RoboCop two are like two am yep.
Speaker 1: Danny gov Is in the street fighting s.
Speaker 4: They're cheap and nassy, and they've got some weird ideas and some weirds up in there, and I like them even I don't like them as much as the originals, but they're far from a cashion and far from a disgrace. Prendat Too Is Fantastic.
Speaker 1: Sequels just took a swing Gremlin's too Ille movie. There was something in the in the air at the turn of the decade good times. Hey say the one guy we used to make things in this country, all this all this world. One might say, yeah, that's RANTI Brown did a pretty good job. Yes, it must ad mean, here's another reason I had a dodgy xp chass going in prior to watching the actual episode, I was putting out. I was looking for images to put up for the guy Davis New Name challenge on that patron page, and I was seeing, like, have they put Homer in blackface? It kind of looked a little bit, And I was like, but at the end he had Homer's hair and everything. Yeah, And I was like, that turns out they didn't do it. It just dawned on me, right, This would have been too obvious, but an interesting spin on this story could have been that it turns out that Karl's ancestors were owned by Homer's ancestors, and then Homer and then Karl learns this, and Homer and Karl have a crisis of wait, your family owned my family true that they could reak very special anyone would it? No? No, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know how sitcomso have Hey, Willis got molested on a different stroke, I don't think that actually.
Speaker 1: Happened or arnold. No, friend got molested, Yes, and he's nearly gonna arrest I'm molested. I nearly got molested yea by the bike shop owner. Yeah, crazy concept, what the hell?
Speaker 4: But occasionally sitcoms would have that very special episode family Ties, and one was like, oh, we all love Uncle Ned played by Tom Hanks, except he's a drunk, and yeah, this seems gonna have that where it's like, wait a minute, my family owned your family.
Speaker 1: It could introduce the idea of slavery two kids at home, quite possible.
Speaker 4: This will require incredible delicacy on the part of the creative.
Speaker 1: Going forward, knowing it's like, oh yeah, it's kind of like this changes everything.
Speaker 4: I've cleaned this punch bowl so many times, but someone actually pissed in the punch one time, and now I chased it all the time. Okay, yeah, that's an episode that could have been. Let's talk about the episode that wasn't.
Speaker 1: That's not what happened but this one was written by Amaxto and Graham Billy Kimball and directed by Raymond s Percy, so there was no chopball game at The catch egg was the same one from the episode Father Is Worst where and cuts back to home. I'm just dead. It's a catch game that's never really sat well with me. It's just it's it's morbid. Yeah, it is morbid. I mean it was funny the first one I saw it, and this time I knew it was coming. The first one, I was like, oh shit, Oh okay, that's like, uh yeah, not really a board, no board, gag is said, but they had the was it was it an skin? Yeah, the same like a wicked witch. I've already done this before. Yeah yeah, just repeating wicked, wicked, wicked, wicked Wizard of O. Yeah. So it kicks off with Willy struggling to remove a tree stump at the school, breaking various tractors. He pulls out some t and tea, but I thinks he's gonna be using the school, but he's not here is going to be trying to get rid of the tree stump, and then he says they blow it up, and then the tree stump flies up in the air and says he comes to my Keia, what do you mean hits the car? Oh my kea will he laughs, even though he doesn't understand it. He's just laughing to fit in. I've done this before, or someone's telling your story and they go you know this right, and you go yeah, yeah, and deep inside you going I hope they don't ask me how whether I actually know it. Please do not follow up question. Have you had those before? Oh? Yeah, absolutely? And you're going, oh god, And that's eighty percent of those podcast For the next like twenty seconds of their conversation. You're not hear Itause's going, don't ask me how I know, but you get very convincing it nodding yeah. Missus Hooven then looks at the window seeing skinn Out trying to remove the tree stut from his car, and gets the idea for an assignment about family trees. Because miss Hoover is completely checked out, Yeah, as that's just her thing now, she doesn't care anymore. Yeah a. Lissa is excited for doing her family tree, but then she realizes that all of her family are evil. Well, yeah, I mean, what you've got murderers, perverts, criminals, just like Abigail Simpson aka the Pittsburgh Poisoner. Yes, and Hope says not to dig into the family history because you won't like it and there'll be no good that you'll find there. And she says, even if I have to go bobbler back to Adam and Eve, then I'll find some good in this family. And it says Adam and Eve Simpson, that's what we know is Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. Do you want to explain who those were? Opens Wikipedia Again. I had heard of the Rosenbergs, but I wanted to get this. I a spice for the Soviet Union.
Speaker 4: They correct that, well, they were convicted of spying for the Soviet Union post World War Two.
Speaker 1: They executed, they did.
Speaker 4: Indeed, they were actually by the federal government of the United States in nineteen fifty three in sing Sings in prison in New York States.
Speaker 1: Such a positive sounding prison singsing.
Speaker 4: I bet these guys have got like a great drama program, and I'll start an underground theater company, and you know, I'll get all the prisons involved, and we'll get a whole new lives as well. On this nop you're just runing the lightning, buddy, Ye say hello to old Sparky.
Speaker 1: And apparently they're the first ones executed for those reasons.
Speaker 4: They were the first American siblings civilians to be executed for such judge, and the first to be executed during peacetime.
Speaker 1: Ah okay. But Lisa then gets stuck trying to get into the attic. This was another nothing scene. So she's growing the little thing hanging there and Bart walks up with g's because she's hanging from the roof. The door's not opening, and she says, are you going to help me? And he goes, puts a chair to the side, stretches and then slowly brings her down and she's like thank you. And he says, what are you going up there for? And she starts explaining us yeah whatever, walks off and I was like, what on earth was this in the pace of the times. That's a bit of a nothing burger, Absolutely nothing. There was no gag here at all. It's just so bizarre. But I'll tell you what has something? The attic full of easter eggs. Yeah, did you write any of them down? No?
Speaker 4: But I thought that they were plenty of Okay, I saw the big tiky head. Yeah, I think I saw deep state Homer's space suit.
Speaker 1: Yep, and there was something I didn't do it, shirt, I didn't do it. Yeah, the ring goes painting that marched in the skull bond at home. It gets given when he's smoking marijuana. We've got the b Sharp's album bigger than Jesus. We've got the giant heat as he said, Marg's calendar for when she was in that launchy calendar correct from a few seasons ago. Last season, we've got a grammy that the b Sharp's won. The cinder block shelf from the home he goes to college. You know, I'll tell the hospital and I'll tell the children. That's a great gag. Yeah, I love it is kept the cinder blocks and his attic. Also got Homer's bear armor. I remember when he was taking on the bear and he wore that armor. You remember that one? Not really they were out like hunting and he gets shot. Homers shoots most shoots him thinking that he's a bird or whatever. Remember this one. There's a bed, there's a bear. Earlier, how many things like season sixteen fifteen, Ok, yeah, it's Amos the bead army. You know if I showed your picture. Okay, the female gollum from the Tresa four episode that fran Dresher voiced, and the HGS rocket. So when Homer builds a rocket that blows up the church, a church hases on fire and they send little Nibbles, the little hamster, up into the sky. That's the rocket that the nerds build for him.
Speaker 4: Okay, then I can see what's there as well. I can see why you did.
Speaker 1: Not then ride down any of the headlines that ron Reze digest. You're exhausted after that. But Lisa then finds Homer's film idea, which was just parody another movie. So he's the writer of like scary movie. Yeah, exactly. Yeah. By ten, your edition of readers die just as you said, We've got the old ad for buzz coola with curative power of cocaine. Yes, and then a dusty diary which belongs to Eliza Simpson. Can you believe this unified theory whatever you want to call it? What's the first entry? What date was it today? April fourteenth, eighteen sixty the date in which we're recording this very April fourteenth. What are the odds I did not. You didn't plan this, No, I'll just watched this going. I did notice yesterday I went today's the thing we're going to be recording on the April fourteenth. I mean, because you're an notorious planner. Yeah, we're pretty good at the planning stuff. This just fell into our laps. Yeah, could not believe it. Homer warns it. Don't keep reading that thing, or don't read the diary, because you're not going to like what you see. Grampa then says that our ancestors Rumen kicked out of Australia because all the British were sent to the Australia. It's true. We're aal krimin, I think, do you sometimes? I feel like, you know, England or English must look at this and go, we should have let them here and gone there. Why did we stay here? Do you call up Nicholas? You having fun? How's it going? Then she says, I'm the happiest girl in Springfield because today I get my very first slave. And this is like, oh my god. Cut to commercial. Yeah. Lisa then reads about the grand ball at Colonel Burns's plantation and the parents are Mabel and there's him. Is what you say so Eliza's parents. So Eliza is a descendant of Lisa, apparently arguing over what they're gonna have for dinner, poss some dinner or some kind. And it's revealed here that she's actually planning to free host slave.
Speaker 2: Yes, she wasn't a slave owner. Our family was on the underground railroad. We ran a subway station. Now, the underground railroad was a bunch of people who helped slaves escape to Canada. There weren't no actual strains, and it wasn't underground, then they should have called it the above ground normal road.
Speaker 5: Good, very good.
Speaker 1: Bar and then puts the diary away into the air vent. He says, quick, while you're a head, that's one thing you learned about this family. And we get the sample, which was great. Quit while you're a and also on the gag about to seeing the movie Carry, it's like she went to the problem with that handsome boy. Everything went great. It reminds me of this an episode of Friends we reviewed recently for the one about Friends, where as the one where Old Yellow dies and Lisa Kudrow her family. Her mother used to always turn it off when just before he gets rabies.
Speaker 4: I don't remember all this specific episode, but I'm pretty sure to remember that Lisa Phoebe, Lisa Goodrod's character, she gets worded up about it and she just has the bus of.
Speaker 1: That that's good acting. What is this puppy snuff film or something. But as you were saying earlier, March says, and you know, we left carried during the prompt after she became prom queen. A lot of problems, but shit, they were all left behind. Then Lisa hears that Eliza tell her to take her He puts it in the event and she said, take me out, Lisa, take me out. So during the night she puts a fan by the event, runs up to the event in the kitchen, it flows out. Then says, what goes in the event should stay in the event. It's the mrs Scans and something from the IRS final notice, So he's tactical. Lisa is going to use this diary for her Black History Month assignment, and Homer says, bark and as you say, March to Summer, which is again it was a huge civil rights march. And I think that somewhere is in Alabama. Stayed at Alabama.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was that was led by doctor Martin Luther King Junior, but he was certainly a people will figure in it, and of course he had a lot of evil. Whiteis breaking out the nightsticks, but no pivle moment in the civil rights movement basis of a very good film called Selma.
Speaker 1: Lisa then reads about the ball and she's explaining here that Eliza is writing that Colonel. The colonel asked the composer to readjust his times so that the music.
Speaker 4: What the waltz is no longer at one two three one? Yeah, since one two three four, and now everybody's falling over.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It gives Eliza a chance to sneak out to see his slave, Virgil. So so the plan was she was going to steal Virgil from Burns because she goes, today, I get my first slave. Thing, she's not fringing her slave, She's bringing someone else. There's the thing. So the Simpsons never owned a slave, No, no, no, they were holding hiding him the whole time. They never owned him. So many holes in this episode. What was the whole point of why was she angry? At no point was her family ever slave owners? How does this ship? How's how's this past muster? That we're right? I think, I'm pretty sure we're right because they never owned a slave. Well that Virgil is vir slave by mister Burn and they don't steal him. They are protecting him, and Homer is doing his best to protect him because then he gets shoes. But the thing is, he never owns him. This episodes sucks. Man. Okay, let's get on the phone to Ian Maxtone Graham. This episode sucks. Well, let's make let's make our way. Eliza sneaks out to see Virgil, says, I'm going to go to the north. He is, no, You're put into the south, and she says, so it's my first time. He says, in my fourteenth. They then get spotted by whities let's just call them whities, and they flee to the.
Speaker 4: Last The actual term for these the actual term for slagh Catches was night Riders, which is a shame because night riders are really cool to that's a cool name. Yeah, and now it's just tainted by these fuckers.
Speaker 1: No good at all. But then yes, they're fleeing to the woods, and then the rest of the diary is turned to dust. At least it has no idea what happened to Eliza after that March. Just they go to the library to the reference desk, and then Homer and Bart meek I joke about them being nerds whatever. They get to the library, there's no stuff about Eliza, but they find something called Mabel Simpson by Mabel as a cookbook, right, which is Eliza's mum. I'm like, what's going on here? Why Why does Mabel look like March? She's not a simp? Oh yeah, well we talked about this earlier.
Speaker 4: I mean the fact that they're just sort of recycling our existing characters and putting them into these situations.
Speaker 1: Where they don't belong. But Mabel's but Mary's correct, Yeah, in no way, she's So why does Eliza's mother look like Marge? Look like Marge? Now? When there's no blood connection, there's no d n A connection, because we're watching a show called The Simpsons. This fucking episode, I like sh they don't.
Speaker 4: Give a like a very obvious shout out to libraries, But I like that, you know, libraries turned out to be a pretty good resource for finding stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, we took the kids to the library, the Carrier library before assuming lessons out and all in here and there's a library on the same area, and we go there before the similess Now they pick up like two or three books. They've got plenty of books here, but the idea of browsing, oh yeah yeah, like wait a minute, I can take these home for free. Yeah, read them and bring them back for more eager Yeah. And it takes a good lesson about responsibilities. It's like you're not the only one reading these books. Trade it with the respect. Yeah, libraryes man. The kids love that one of their favorite parts of the week now is going to the library before swimming. You're doing well while those kids, well on you. They then go through the less road kill or she goes through the road killing recipes in the book first then finds a less road killy one and it comes with a story, and he explains that so many recipes do. It explains that Eliza brought the slave back to their house and on the way they came across the traveling circus and a crusty old clown was there and he's now part of the underclown railroad. Yea. Virgil then plays the violin and Krusty slaps him and says the number one rules never be better than me, and I'm pretty bad then the bag the night riders arrive and they tricked them in to leave what they pretend that.
Speaker 4: They're Well, Virgil has been clowned up. That's right, she's the beard's the youngest bearded lady of all time.
Speaker 1: Yes. Then Marge points out there's a footnote, because least's like she wrote all of this, and it says in the footnote. I'll read it. It's what the footnote says. I did say that there was a lot to it. After the patrollers, this is what she's wrote in the diary. Apparently in the cookbook after the patrollers left. The circus clown made the full comment, which suggests an unusual aptitude for predicting twenty first century currency values. What I always ask for a nickel that's like twenty bucks in twenty ten money, Apparently it was like ninety cents, not twenty bucks. Stuck the actual amount. It may have been intended as humorous, although my daughter didn't mention anyone laughing. This clown seemed to say many things that were humorous to him, but not to those around him, nor to me. But since my daughter repeated them all, I thought I would record them here. Enjoy them. People of the future. Okay whatever, that's what we call in the business. A chuck Lurry gay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, greed to the Big Bang theory, et cetera, cetera. L men, Yeah, I would always have at the end with his production company sort of logo.
Speaker 1: A whole bunch of written stuff that you know, nudes would freeze frame and have a look at. Yep, he wrote the teenage mitt Ninja turtleson, didn't he, Chuck Lauri, y oh, yeah, multi towers a guy. Yeah. Then Virgil offers him some wheelcakes, which are now what we know is donuts. He swears to help him. At least it thinks her quest is fulfilled because the family are now known as heroes because we rescue the slaves. We never owned them. Then Black History Month show at school, I guess, I guess. Then they do point out that she Okay, she's like, okay, we never owned slaves. We help them. But then Homer sold out a slave. That's why she was Yeah, but then Marge married us. I don't care enough.
Speaker 4: I don't know with not that's not that we're not that invested. We're going to set up flow charts and family trees.
Speaker 1: No, it's now Black history months show at the school coming soon March. Ralph does his talk about Martin. Luther King says he had dreams with Almo and Buzz light Year and yes, you're stupid. Off stage, Ralph, that's basically the gag now. Lisa then says, the Simpsons the first Family of Freedom, and we're gonna gag if the computer starts closing down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because it's getting up getting an unintended upgrade or unasked for upgrade. Who among us has not been there.
Speaker 1: With that shit. Quite often, I'll turn my laptop on and it's like we did an update. I'm like, you're off. How'd you update? Yeah? My phone will do it occasionally, And now my phone is really slow. I update my phone. Now my phone's fast. Yeah. Yeah, never update your phone. Just don't do it. Maybe you don't even have a phone. The updates are there to slow that shit down, so you gotta get a new one. By the way, I just want to throw this out there.
Speaker 4: I should really, I've got a Wikipedia right in front of me on my phone so I could double check this. But apparently I heard a story or a rumor the famous I Have a Dream.
Speaker 1: Speech by doctor Martin Luther King Jr.
Speaker 4: Apparently he like improvised the second half of it, like it's one of the most profound speeches in American history.
Speaker 1: And from probably why it works.
Speaker 4: From what I heard, it's like he started doing his speech and it's like, oh, they're not with me, and he just came up with shit on the fly, starting with I have a.
Speaker 1: Dream, Like, so kep it with I have a dream? Apparently, Yeah, should I actually check out? Or will we just move on? We can do a.
Speaker 4: Footnote, we could do a foot but anyway, let's continue.
Speaker 1: We've already had Ralph and now we're on to Lisa. She's upgrading. She tells at least that the Eliza story. Everyone claps conclusions Simpsons equals heroes, new perspectives on donut origins, great target a slash a plus, and then Millhouse arrogantly claps, entertaining fairy tales always are and he has a diary of his great great great great great grand fa far Milford, who explains on ab L twenty second he heard a commotion from the Simpsons house and Colonel Burns is there. He sees his cake rings and he swore on oath not to tell you where he is. He says, everybody has a price, and his price was a pleasant surprise. Incorrect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's also while he's doing that, he's doing what I guess slave owners and slave bars used to do to potential purchase in terms of like checking out their teeth, checking out their muscle mass, all that.
Speaker 1: Ye yeah, okay, yeah that was lost on me. Yeah that's all I know. I get the villa is a better episode under this episode, oh for sure. But that seems to be the case for most things now. Yes, so many things have the will be better, but they're just not not anymore. Projectail Mary. Fine, Oh yeah, that's good. That's something to slip through the cracks. That's the exception. Who's still got Project Mary. It's still good, it's still good.
Speaker 5: I would say your price is a pleasant suppress.
Speaker 1: That's exactly my price. Your man, Very Jolio is in father Now, Eliza, hold your tongue.
Speaker 5: Don't worry, I'll handle this one, young lady. In this day and age, women only express their opinions and diaries to be found long after they're gone. From the day you were born, you were brought up to crave the approval of a man and I know you really want to be a good girl, and good girls a scene in that heard.
Speaker 1: And she just concedes and says that's it, and that's the end of Eliza as a girl anyway. Then Homer says he's in the tournip shed and he gives me a new pair of shoes. Then Milford says, I couldn't look Aliza in the eyes anymore after that. That's because I drank whild water and went blind. Lisa is shattered by this news, and she goes to leave. Millie says, take it outside because it's still got three Jackie Robertson's and a lot of Obama's. YadA YadA, YadA. Went out the library again, and Lisa needs and I thought obama gag was what does he say that? Lewis says something at the very end of it, precisely, or something without the library and Lisa needs. She's like she's pleading for an elizas book. I needs something. He needs to enclosure here on this, and Burns and says that visit Colonel was his dad. Whatever, that's it. That's the end of Burns here. And the worker suggests go to the film vault, and then other works say where's that she goes? That's where we hooked up a Christmas party. I'm like, that's so cool, Simpsons writers to chicks hooking up at Chris Lisa. That puts in the Springfield Historical Society Oral History Project nineteen fifty two, and it's an interview with e Liza, who apparently was married to Milford because he's in the background the photo, together with her classes on good catch Missed. It says that there was an injustice as a kid that she sat and happened, and the pat on her head haunted her forever, which was Colonel Burns, and Lisa thinks that there's now no noble Simpson. I was like, it's kind of a shit ending to Liz's life. Oh yeah, maybe fucked over. Thanks with the addition here, I appreciate that. Lisa then says that you know, her dad was right. I should have quit when I was ahead, and crab Bus says things turned out well for Virgil, and Homer says to tell us or I'll meet things uncomfortable, and he does by turning the heat down from eighty five to eighty three, which is about twenty nine to twenty eight I've.
Speaker 4: Already turned it down to eighty two because that was one of the trivia questions that I didn't ask you.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, eighty two. Then yeah, what was tweet until about twenty eight twenty seven? Still hot? Oh look when you when you've got a few miles out of Florida, like the Florida heat, it's like, uh oh, the temperage is not quite right. But he says that Mabel knew her husband well, so she has some payback pie ready for him, and she was in there with a gun and she says to Colonel Burns, have over seen you again. You'll be a Memphis bell pointed at he is doodle as junatily yeap. Colonel then says, one day history will be told by my descendants. Ken Rick Burns, Yeah you know.
Speaker 4: Ken Burns is no Here's the maker of so many documentaries and a very distinctive style of documentary. He did maybe his best known as the Civil War. And he always gets great voice actors and really big name actors sort of do narration. It's usually they're grabbing letters from people who was like my dearest Dabi girl, here I am at the front and we're about too fart against the enemy. As our lord ma Mosk could let you know what I am thinking of you and the life we could have had together. If our die, I'll be watching down on you from the heavens. So let's watch his name nineteen.
Speaker 1: Night ah Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there really well made, and he's done a whole bunch and a whole bunch of different topics like baseball, like jazz. Yeah, Ken Burns, fantastic documentarian.
Speaker 1: You told me about Beatles Anthology. I finally watched the episode eight, and now it's so good. That shit's dope. Man, Holy shit, it's so good. I was like, I remember watching the first episode maybe six months ago, and I was like, this isn't for me. And I watched, I'm like, this is unbelievable. Hold from their voices, absolutely. I love how their stories clash. They have no idea that what happened. That was so fucked out of it by that point. At one point, it was like, we played shea Stadium twice and then George Harrison. Have you seen George Harrison is a clip on Twitter? My book man, I might show you, and George Harsh is like, we played it twice. He seems genuine concerned. I don't remember this, but after watching this documentary, Lenon will always be my favorite Beatle. But if you said to me, which Beatle would you like to hang out with the most, it's fucking Ringo. Man. He seems like a really happy It seems like he just he knew his place, he knew he wasn't one of the main stars, but he was just happy to be a part of the ride.
Speaker 4: And also, I mean, he's a fucking Beatle. It's not like it's three Beatles and Ringo. It's like he's one of the Beatles. He's earned his spot in the Beatles. He's a fucking good drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He just seems pretty cash and he seems pretty cod Yeah.
Speaker 4: And even now he's like, you know, in his early eighties or whatever, looks in pretty good. He married Barbara Bark, a bond girl. I'm pretty sure they're still together or not sure. Anyway, you Ringo star, I would probably want to hang out with George, even though he seemed like grumpy.
Speaker 1: You could see, well, I'm grumpy crank.
Speaker 4: But he also saims like a bit of a seeker, kind of interesting. It has some interesting combos. Get really baked with George and just you know, have some three Am in the dorm room combos.
Speaker 1: I was so blown away by how openly George and Sage, John and Paula's dismissed George's abilities, like now where the songwriters and and I think McCarty says at one point he goes and he bought some stuff. He has some good songs. I'm like, motherfucker wrote something.
Speaker 4: You're the Beatles guy here, so forgive me, correct me if I'm wrong. George Harrison wrote, here comes the Sun.
Speaker 1: Yes, George Harrison, let me becomes the Son and something on the same album, let me repeat that.
Speaker 4: George Harrison wrote, here Comes the Son. It's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.
Speaker 1: I love it. But poor McCarty says he had some good stuff, and I was like, what, motherfucker you wrote wonderful Christmas stuff, which I meant I like. But let's not be dizzer George Harrison here it was just anywhere so good stuff like say that, well, you're you're the one we like, You're the You're the nice beat all there with these nineteen ninety two mullets and ship.
Speaker 4: By the way, the Beatles anthology not directed by Ken and or Rick. No fantastic, but a really good doctor on from our pals at Disney plus friend of the Pod.
Speaker 1: I will say one thing though, every episode ends with the cliffhanger. It's very Netflix, very very streaming it. Yeah, yeah, I know, but it's just the way it's like, and then shit happened. Anyway, Well, we should probably we should do like an let's do a limited series on the Beatles anthology. Maybe maybe or like just an episode. Yeah, I'm not sure we could tell anything that they can't tell the document and then show.
Speaker 4: It's like it'll be like the Chris Farley on the thing that was remember when you're remember the Beats did this?
Speaker 1: It was awesome. But it would be fun to sort of just talk about the way it's directed and stuff. Yeah, I'm sure we'll think about it.
Speaker 2: I knew you'd break your promise taken Vergil to freedom.
Speaker 1: You defied your husband for me. Man, this is the sixties. Now, let's take you to.
Speaker 2: A place where a black man can blend inim Canada.
Speaker 1: Then she takes him to Canada, but she needs a disguise. Lincoln gives her the hat. It calls her a pop bellied stove. Yeah, okay, and then he proposes on the way to Canada. She got one of Harm's shoes in a divorce settlement maybe with Virgil, then lived the rest of their days in peace. Virgil had no last name, so he kept Simpson. I'm like she got divorced from Simpson anyway. And the son was Abraham, which who was grandpa's great grandfather. And Lisa was happy that she's now got the honor of being one sixty fourth black. Homi says, I guess that's why I'm cool. She says, lisas that's why my jazz is so smooth, and no, no Homoici Bart says that's why I'm cool. Homa says, this is why I earn less than my coworkers. And I was like, oh so so edgy Simpsons, I didn't mind that gang.
Speaker 4: If it was surrounded by better stuff, Yeah, possibly would have landed a bit.
Speaker 1: It's a bit more effective. Comes out and says, well, the reason I didn't tell you till now is because our generation, how do you call it racist? Yeah? That felt very on the nose, yes, And then Marge says, well, no one cares about my father being French Bouvier and Homer says, that's why I love drinking. She says, but you have no blood relation. I'm like, that's the logic of your story. That's the whole point of this episode. That's the end of that one. Ah, fucking stinker had some good gags, but just a stinker, just so many convoluted plot holes and.
Speaker 4: Just I'm going to say it was smelly rather than a stinker. There have been better episodes, certainly, but there.
Speaker 1: Were one or two. Yeah, there were a handful of.
Speaker 4: Good gags in there that I enjoyed, and much like me, it had potential that have failed to live up.
Speaker 1: They took a swing. I like when they take a swing for me. This just there was too many missus, too many foul balls this one. Okay, too many whiffs, Yeah, too many whiffs. What do we learn bomb? What do you learn from the episode with Davis?
Speaker 4: I learned the identity finally, of the Pittsburgh poisoner.
Speaker 1: Is an actual thing. Have you ever did you google it? I'm pretty sure there's no Pittsburgh poys or they're probably I love when killers get given names like that though. That's so good. When we watched s for you. They've always got like, you know, the Brooklyn Brawl. I love the Brooklyn. Whatever they add names to it, don't give them a name, then then they're gonna have been part of issue forever.
Speaker 4: Let's apparently I haven't been up on the New Dexter reboots or whatever, but apparently there's Dexter Resurrection, which brings back Dexter the serial Killer. It's god like Umer Furman in it and Peter Dinglish.
Speaker 1: I watch pop fiction, by the way, in four K nice the Blood, the blood, details of Marvel's Breen's on the.
Speaker 4: Car, fucked out, Rebuglan shit, the just rubbing it in now. But apparently in the upcoming season of the New Dexter, it's Poisoner as a person oh for real. Martha Grinder from eighteen fifteen eight and sixty six Notice to Pittsburgh Poisoner or Poisoner of Gray's Alley was an American serial killer hanged on January nineteenth, eighteen sixty six, for using arsenic to murder neighbors and acquaintances in Pittsburgh. She poisoned victims while acting as a trust nurse or a friend, and.
Speaker 1: Her name was Martha Grinder Yeah. Wow, she grinded the arsenic into the ingredients of Wow. Well, I thought I learned the see I didn't learn something. This episode got misinformation, but they got the sex wrong. They said what they say a girl, yea Abigai, Well you don't know their gender identity. Abigail is a girl's name right there? Pretty much? Yeah in most cases, yes, just saw that Abigail. Male's out there, abber males. All the male Cameron's out there, go damn it, Cameron Diaz, Taylor's or the Taylor's. Well, Lee's on you girls and boy Lee's that's true.
Speaker 4: We mentioned Valentine's earlier starring Taylor Swift and Taylor Laudner. Yeah, but Taylor Laudner in her life Sorry, Twilight, we're.
Speaker 1: Talking about him. You know who he is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the wolf guy got Yeah, he was Jacob got married and his wife's name is Taylor.
Speaker 1: So now it's Taylor and Taylor Lautner. Ah, that's confusing. But Taylor Swift and Taylor Lutner we're going out at the time. I hope they named their child Taylor Junior, Taylor Life and Taylor Taylor Taylor Hife and Taylor coma junior, teach you what did I learn? What I learned that he makes the own Graham ain't good at trying to rewrite Simpsons history. Apologies, I just thought this episode had a lot of plot holes. Well it's not just me and who else? Billy Kimball. Yeah, he's Mike Reast. But that's what we learned from this episode. Indeed, and never to watch it again. From forward, your names will be all right. It's time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship. That current leader board stands at this first position Philip J. Hawkins on nineteen, second position, Clever Kyle on ten, and third position Nathan Briggs on eight.
Speaker 4: To take it away, To begin with a little bit of a disclaimer, I'd like to be sort of pinpoint accurate with the new names and things like that. I like to dop my's and cross my t's. Yeah, in this case, not quite the case. I like the names, but they've got some iffy sort of foundation which we'll get into. I guess stick this melly uh. One point goes to like a Virgin Freed for the very first time.
Speaker 1: Brackets Um, you can do it again and sing it like a Virgil Freed for the very first time, go back, I want that. Ooh you're don't have that? Oh yeah, oh that's right. Yeah, lack of Virgil. Ooh, freed for the very first time.
Speaker 4: Hill, we could do that for the reason, God, let's not. Here's the thing though, as we pointed out during this episode, this is not Virgil's first.
Speaker 1: Radio No, it's not, indeed, no, but I liked it so much that I gave it one point. And who'd that point go to? Heath? Applebee Apple? How do you like those Applebee's? Exactly?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Heath is on two points one Unheath.
Speaker 4: Well, Donheath speaking of two points, two points goes to twenty two minutes.
Speaker 1: A slave, that would be Mike Salter salty, Yeah, salta ex salts. He is now on nine points.
Speaker 4: You're on that one salted. And as also we pointed out, twelve years.
Speaker 1: A slave had not been released by this time. No, twenty twelve. I'm pretty sure. Yeah, was it twenty twelve? I believe I know why my brain just think that's in twenty twelve. I haven't because of twelve years of slave. You could google me drill it right now. Years I saw it with Nikola, and I was with Nikola when I was twenty thirteen. Close. Yeah, it's funny, how you do. There's somebody come out the other day. No, we're looking at something and I was like, I was inside me and I think it was I was like, I feel like that's like twenty years old, that movie, and Nicholas She's like, it's literally to twenty So how did you do? I'm like, I don't know. My brain just knows years closely, close enough, you know, close enough is good enough. Yeah, so that's two points, yeap, and three points goes to me being a Tarantino head. Jang do unschained? Well done. That's a I think that's the thing. By the way, that had been done twice. It had And the second one was Mike Salt, which is why he only got the two points. The first one was Nathan Briggs Briggsy yes on Brisy, three points to you, yes, because you sent that through to me and I was like, oh, there's two here, and I went up in order. Briezy was first, who got who got their their name in first? And this case Frizzy, well what Bruce is now second? What well done? Brigsy? Brigs is now outright second? And eleven points. He is eight points behind. But there's still like ten episodes left this season, so they're still just happened. But yes, so well done, Briezy smashing it, climbing up that he went, I swear you from zero to eleven just like that. I'm gonna start trying how phil ja Hawks is sitting there starting to pucker a little bit like, wait a minute, this is my title. I don't want to think of puckering. What do we call it? The pressed hands, the face face hugger from that was future Stock from Tales of Futurama. Indeed, yes, speaking of Future m We're about to record our review of Leader's Home World after we record this, So if you are found of Futuruma and you want to hear our Futurama reviews, but now and season four of Tails the Future on and you can find that exclusively on our Patreon. But this has been our review of the Color Yellow. The next season twenty one episode we shall be reviewing is called Postcards from the Wedge. Don't forget to check out I think Next we're gonna putting out our Jay Cogan interview, which is where we reviewed last Exit to Springfield, which was a lot of fun as well.
Speaker 4: Was Indeed, we've been having some great chats with some great people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so hope you guys enjoyed our our Gene conversation as well. And yeah, just great time here at four Finger Discount. Lots of excited interviews coming up in the future for the rest of the year. But don't forget you can't support us on Patreon is the best way to support the show for as little as just one dollar per month over one hundred and fifty hours of exclusive podcasts on there, But for now todays and you find the words first incredible listeners out there, Well
Speaker 4: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of four Finger Discount aka under Clown Railroad