Speaker 1: It was a special night at Dodgers Stadium as Dustin me made his return to a major League mound for the first time in nearly two years. And Dustin joins us right now at Dodger Stadium Number one. Thanks a lot for the time, and congratulations on returning and coming back from so much adversity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Thanks, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: It was definitely a huge relief last night, just to be able to know that I can still get some big league hitters out and then come out of it feeling good. So I'm in a good spot today, so excited for the next one.
Speaker 1: You were skipping off the mound after you struck out the Braves in the first inning in order, and then you came here to the dugout. It seemed like you were giving thanks. What were you saying to yourself?
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean I just said a quick little prayer and thank the Lord for everything that he has given me in the last couple of years, thanking him to still be here and get the opportunity that I had.
Speaker 1: I saw the family and friends that you had in Anaheim. How many did you have last night? And what did it mean to you to have that support?
Speaker 2: It was the same amount.
Speaker 3: I think it was like six itch. I mean it's huge. I mean, family support is a is a very big thing. My dad and grandma weren't able to make it out, but I know they were there with me in spirit, so it was it was very very special. I got talked to both of them after the game and they were they were very.
Speaker 2: Very excited.
Speaker 1: How did you channel all those emotions the last two years and be able to pitch as well as you did.
Speaker 3: I mean it's been a long build up and a lot of a lot of mental grind. Just being able to tell myself that I'm still able to do it and still able to get guys out, and I mean just staying very calm and level headed and being able to just move on to the next pitch no matter what the outcome wants.
Speaker 1: You guys are obviously the best at what you do. But did you have to remind yourself to have fun out there last night?
Speaker 2: No? No, I mean I was.
Speaker 3: I was having fun just on my drive in yesterday. I mean it was like a kid in a candy store.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was so so happy and excited to just be back in a big league stadium, active and being able to contribute to a team win.
Speaker 1: Just to me as our guest. All right, since you said you have a new life perspective, and rightfully so, what would the drive have been two years ago compared to what it was last night?
Speaker 3: I mean the drive would have been like probably similar, like loud music, just getting in the moat, like the swing of things, but just like less anxiousness, like less like worry about like the outcome like more so now it's just like I'm doing what I can like no matter what the outcome is, as long as I'm healthy coming out of it or gonna be happy, like it's I'm just happy to be here.
Speaker 1: That's so awesome. It's so great that you know you have that life perspective. A lot of guys say when they get married or have kids, that's what changes their whole outlook on baseball. But yours was a little bit more extreme.
Speaker 3: Than that, a little bit of a different path there. But everybody kind of gets in the same spot one day or another.
Speaker 1: I thought it was who after the game last night. The first thing he said was they played the wrong warm up music.
Speaker 3: They did, They sure did. And then I've been waiting almost two years for it. Because I've been excited for the song change and they dang screwed it up.
Speaker 2: They screwed it up. But we'll we'll have to get it right on the next one, I hope.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a sneak peek on what it was supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be whenever it comes out, we'll have to hear it.
Speaker 1: Right. Sounds good? Hey, before I let you go tonight, Blake Snell's on the mount. Have you had a chance to interact with him during spring training and what have you noticed about who he is as a teammate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked a little bit.
Speaker 3: We talked on the bench for probably two or three innings the other night. I mean, I like picking his brain. I mean he's been here for a while. He's easy to talk to. Definitely a guy who's very approachable and we'll talk to you about anything.
Speaker 1: You feel like the perception of who he was is not really now getting to know him what he's really about.
Speaker 3: No, I thought the the envision that I had of him.
Speaker 2: Was pretty bought on.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: I feel like people don't realize how smart he is and as far as the IQ of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, he is. He's very bright in baseball for sure.
Speaker 1: All right. They call it May Day, Today's snails Zilla Day, Dustin May.
Speaker 2: It is, it is. I'm ready, I'm ready and excited to watch him.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot, and Man, great to see you on the Man last night at Dodger Stadium starting a game really special and keep it going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me