Speaker 1: Okay, hey everyone, it is the JB and Sandy Hour on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. Shout out to tell you guys that are streaming us on the iHeartRadio app, thanks for being with us. My name is Sandy, This is JB. Hello, Patricia is here as well. Hi friends, and here's the obligatory hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving. Now that that is out of the way, we can now move on with our regue. I can't struggle with this word regler Lee. I can have a tough time with that word. Scheduled program. The first thing we need to talk about, friends is and JB. You've got some history with Chuck Woolery passed away. Yeah, years old, and you and Chuck used to be boys, man, I know.
Speaker 2: And it's.
Speaker 3: When we heard the news. My mother in law called my wife because they both both had a crush on Chuckway.
Speaker 1: Just just real quick in case you're like Chuck Willery Chuck Willlery, Yeah, Chuck.
Speaker 2: Rollery was the dating game guy. He was a game show host that action.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's done a ton of them, and people forget he originally started with Wheel of Fortune, but most people think two and two love connection, and he's done a lot of other stuff. But yeah, my my wife and her mom would would watch it together, you know when, and they both had a crush on him. I think most women had a crush on him. He was just smooze right.
Speaker 2: Handsome devil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I did. I did get to know him over the years. And the weirdest way I had I met him at a a cl pre party kind of thing and someone had told me he was really into airstreams, and so I had something to talk to him about, right, it's different. So we hit it off. And and then at the time I had our air stream and Pecan Grove our V part on Barbar Springs, the last remaining r V park of the three that were there. But and then I helped him finagle his way into the park, which was near impossible, right.
Speaker 4: Right, they had nothing on lockdown and waiting there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like, Chuck, don't worry, we'll get you in, bro, we'll get you in. I said, you just got to charm their pants.
Speaker 2: Off and lie if you have to, you know, And.
Speaker 3: And he's pretty charming, yeah, right, And so for several years, you know, We had our airstreams about, you know, four lots apart, and I'd see him. He'd like to smoke the cigarettes, and so he'd be walking up and down the road having a cigarette, and so I'd always chat with him. We just set out front and chat. And this is the weird thing too, This was not planned at all, but one day he came down. So he lived in Horseshoe Bay for the last twenty years or so. He was uh, he was actually hired to be a spokesman because a lot of people retire in Horseshoe Bay and he's just that good voice and face for that community. Right, and then he was like, screw this, I'm moving here. It's like I could go back to la and do my work, you know. But he lived in Horseshoe Bay and love bass fishing.
Speaker 2: Yep. Every day.
Speaker 3: He had one of those condos where that your boat's underneath your condo, Like go in your own garage every morning out there bass fishing. And the other funny thing was one day he showed up on a motorcycle identical to mine.
Speaker 2: You guys go wild. It's like you're come from the same cloth.
Speaker 3: And then one of the finer moments. You know, we were we were hanging out there. My wife is with me. We're in Pecan Grove and Chuck is like, I let's go down to my you know, my airstream and we were checking it out. It was a little bit different than ours, same size and you know, air streamers kind of geeky that way. And then he's like, mind if I play a little guitar. A lot of people don't know is he Before he got into television and moved to La he tried to make it in Nashville, very very accomplished guitar player, like incredible, and in fact, if you search it, there's like on some primetime special he's doing a duet with Dolly Parton.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was. He was legit.
Speaker 3: So he had all these amazing Nashville stories from back in the day and Hollywood stories from rat Pack era on. Uh. But he starts playing guitar and my wife is like, oh my.
Speaker 4: Instantly sexier.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But then if you and you know, it got to be a bit much. You know, rest in peace, Chuck. But if you were following him once he started podcasting later he got a little overboard on politics.
Speaker 2: He was really conservative and which is try.
Speaker 1: But we did talk politics, yeah right, yeah, yeah, hat to have friends that don't have your same political beliefs. By the way, there's a lot of stuff going around before Thanksgiving, the people saying that you don't don't go to your friend's house that didn't vote the way that you wanted them to a family's house that didn't vote how you agree, and that is absolute horse out.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 3: But I don't know whether we agreed or not. I just didn't want to talk. Like if like we went to dinner and all we did was talk politics, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, But I love the guy.
Speaker 3: Loved hanging out with him. He had My wife kept trying to encourage him to write a book. Every story he told would blow your mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really just couldn't believe that he was rubbing elbow's like with everyone in Hollywood in the fifties sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know that?
Speaker 1: Do you know when he passed away, if he was still married to the woman that I met when I met him, Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't know if they were, he was, he had four marriages at it, and I don't know. I kind of lost touch with them after, you know, it's just the politics got to be too much. Plus we neither of us were in Pecong Grove anymore. It got to be that place got to be too expensive, if you can believe that.
Speaker 5: My grandfather when he moved to Austin in the sixties, he had a trailer at in Pecanng Grove and my mom learned how to drive on that little just a little road in.
Speaker 4: The little loop. That's what she drove up and down.
Speaker 3: That's where my daughter learned. She learned to ride a bike in Zilker Park. But then she would just do loops on her bike. He probably did the same thing when you're a kid. Yeah, just do little laps around Pecanng Grove. Oh go ahead, lets say, and she would go another funny pecand Grove thing. My daughter would ride around. She would visit all the clowns that live there, like professional clown. Yeah there was doodle Bug, Limpy and the Balloonatic.
Speaker 2: That's not creepy at all that your child visit the clowns. Yeah, that's not weird at all.
Speaker 1: So she made me think of, uh, maybe not right now, but maybe later on in the show. You can tell the story about roller skating up the state Capitol's it's.
Speaker 2: A great story. Great, we will get into that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was cool. I didn't realize how cool at the time. I now realized it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I figured out the first thing that I am going to do when Tricia divorces me.
Speaker 2: I know exactly what it's going to be.
Speaker 1: When when it's always been a matter of when we've been together for sixteen years, we've got four more years until we sit down and have the state of the marriage address when we're like you want to you don't want to contract or not or you know, or just kind of go our own way.
Speaker 2: Our daughter will be grown and gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, off to college and say that if my wife divorced me, I'd be like, yeah, I saw that common you know, right, yeah, like if she started telling me by yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it. You don't, don't you save your words?
Speaker 4: Were staying so long?
Speaker 2: Actually right, you want to try to do.
Speaker 1: This without lawyers or with how do you want to do this? Yeah, let's be cool about it. So there's really I'll tell you exactly what it happened. So as we have mentioned many times, and I hope not too much but the last couple months, Tricia and I have been walking every single day, well we take one day off, and we're walking about four and a half miles every day at the Brushy Creek Trail and it's helped me lose some weight. I'm down almost twenty pounds in two months, which is good. I'm also watching what I eat and I boy actually noticed it, like I saw some photos how fat my face was, and I sent it to Tricia.
Speaker 2: I go, how did you let me get this fat? Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, as I had that moment when you got on the scale, the number I call it the number.
Speaker 2: I was like, whoa, he can't bad number. It's a bad number.
Speaker 1: It's gonna go one way or the other here, and I'm not letting go the bad way.
Speaker 3: You've always been able to lose weight quickly since I've known. Yeah, yeah, it's just very when you put your mind to it.
Speaker 5: I remember, probably I don't know, fifteen years ago, I was laying in bed and he was standing in the bathroom and he stood on the scale and he goes, oh my god, I think I lost eight pounds, and I was, screw you, right, think you lost it?
Speaker 4: Sounds like on accident.
Speaker 3: Not cool.
Speaker 1: So we've been walking and a good friend of mine, his name is David McMillan. If you spent any time in Austin, a no ever heard of David McMillan. He's been in the mortgage business forever and he's a great.
Speaker 4: Guy, a great, great guy.
Speaker 1: And he boys, he got some stories about the Austin blues scene.
Speaker 2: I mean he ran a.
Speaker 1: Motel on East just east of thirty five where all the blues musicians that were playing at Antone's that they stayed there, and he was the manager of that motel.
Speaker 2: Boys, he got some.
Speaker 4: Stories, incredible stories.
Speaker 2: It's great stuff. Anyway. So David is a he's been you know, walking too.
Speaker 1: So he texted me and he's like, hey, let's go knock out, you know, four miles this morning. Like okay, cool net. Tricia and I at the Brushy Creek trail at ten o'clock this is Thanksgiving morning, and I said, and bring the dogs. He's got two Bernese Mountain dogs. Have you ever seen those dogs? Huge, giant and they've he's got a male and a female river and bears the male and they're or they look like cartoon characters.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what.
Speaker 1: They're just giant, lovable dogs and they're they're beautiful. And so everybody we walked by on the trail commented on these dogs, right.
Speaker 5: And you buddy, children, adults with nuts and pictures.
Speaker 1: People wanted to get pictures with the dogs. It was like it was like there were celebrities these dogs. And so it just dawned on me. I'm like, the first thing I'm gonna do when Tricia divorces me is get two Bernies Mountain dogs.
Speaker 3: First thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the first thing I am getting.
Speaker 1: And I mean king of just rent them, you know what I mean for a little while.
Speaker 5: Because cal David and be like, can I take the dogs for a couple of days?
Speaker 2: Boy? They're cool dogs. That just yeah, that would be cool.
Speaker 3: That's what it's like with my little dog Clyde.
Speaker 2: Oh is it?
Speaker 3: Everybody stops me, like every well, let me I take that back. It's funny because I usually go down I take them down to South Congress and I'll sit there at Joe's or like more down at Meteor or anyway, and I just hang out and everybody stops pet this ugly goofy dog. And then I took him. I met my dad out and and uh like out by the gallery to watch the Longhorn game, you go, and no one cared there. Now I'm in dripping springs and everyone's fancy. Yeah yeah, it wasn't by the gallery. It was more like dripping springs. But now it's like, oh, this is fancy pure bread.
Speaker 4: Before something cares, it.
Speaker 3: Was all like labordoodles and like purebread, goldens and labs. And they're just looking at my dog like it was a rat that didn't belong.
Speaker 2: They didn't get the memos.
Speaker 1: They didn't get the memo that to be an Austin night, you gotta have kind of a broken or messed up dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yep, yeah, yep exactly. But yeah, that's a that's a good tactic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, you won't be single for long, that's right, right, And you get someone to help you with the dogs too, if you're lucky.
Speaker 2: But they're they're funny, man. It was just and there was it was pretty we know.
Speaker 1: What else was funny is we were walking with these two giant dogs and there were this dude and three women and they had little was it two or three little ship shoes with them. Yeah, I was walking the little ships and we got by him. I leaned over to Trisha, Go, if I was that dude, I'd be so embarrassed.
Speaker 4: Mountains of dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has to be either huge or tiny and ugly.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't get attention that tiny dog for one of the women he was walking with.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it was probably one of their dogs.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's like a comparison issue for sure, right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're cool dogs. But that's what I'm gonna do. I've already got my plan. I'm gonna have the dogs as soon as the first huh no no, no, no, no, no, as soon as I get as soon as I get a place to live, I'll have those two dogs and a girlfriend.
Speaker 3: That's a fortune plan of attack. Tricia, what's your first move?
Speaker 4: I I don't know. I hadn't gotten as far as Sandy took the dogs. I can't do that. I don't want to copy him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is the equivalent for you know what? The equivalent probably is.
Speaker 4: Just take the ladies out. I'll just do a bar, something low cut. I'll meet somebody, don't worry about me.
Speaker 5: Pick up in a cool pick up in a cool pickup truck with a cool pickup truck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lived the land, owned some horses.
Speaker 5: I mean I really take the ladies out to get that far, but you know.
Speaker 2: Horses would be yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's the JB and Sandy Hour and uh tomorrow from seven to eight as well.
Speaker 2: This is the Sandy Show. And you can say good night to this one.