Speaker 1: Welcome to Get Big Out Loud Radio, where we explore living the complex, funny and beautiful ride of life with me Carrie Knutson and Doctor Pat on Transformation Talk radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Are your thoughts keeping you small? Are you ready to get big?
Speaker 1: I will offer you ideas to transform what you are thinking into conscious action. Explore what is keeping you small and how to shift your behaviors.
Speaker 2: In order to get big. Learn what is possible for you.
Speaker 1: Get ready to get big and live life out loud.
Speaker 3: Starting now, Hey, everybody, what a show we have on Doctor Patt and I take this beautiful ride of life with the most incredible Carrie Knutsen today. Okay, this is a good one. This is a good one. I can't wait to hear what Carrie has to say about it. The stories we keep editing and editing and editing and editing. When are we going to publish? So today we're going to talk about these. You know, we are human beings. We're natural storytellers, we really are. I mean, whether you're watching a sports show or you're watching a drama, it doesn't matter. Or you're listening to something or you're reading something, or you're maybe talking to your children, or maybe having a conversation with your family. You know, it's the art of the story. For centuries, we've done this, we share experience.
Speaker 2: But what.
Speaker 3: Are the stories we tell us sales? What do we saying to ourselves? How are we saying it to ourselves? And in this episode to get big out Loud, We're going to explore the storytelling. We're going to explore what matters, what the identities of our stories are, what they tell us, what we tell ourselves, and how they actually shape the landscape of our lives. Carrie, thank you for taking this topic on.
Speaker 2: Know, I was really thinking about it, and you know, I always love to do podcasts related something that I'm currently really thinking about or using in my talks or grappling with. And I really thought this idea about the stories we only tell ourselves with the stories we keep editing, like you said, when we stop editing them, you know, and also why do we edit them? And so I was just thinking about this idea of our natural inclination to share our stuffs through stories. But then there are stories that get told like we tell them the greatest hits, and then there's stories that we never tell for all kinds of reasons. And then there's stories that we edit depending on the audience, you know, So I think it just wanted to like again, not in a good or bad way, necessarily, just as a curious way. How do the stories we tell shape our identity? How do the stories we not tell impact our identity? And then why do we edit stories for better or for worse? Right? Like why do we edit our stories? And so that's what I want to get into today, just and then through the lens of cure always curiosity, Like it's an interesting, I think thing to think about, especially if you're trying as a human being, which most of us I think are trying to like how do I know myself? How do I know my identity? Who I am? Also, when you want to change something about yourself, sometimes we're like, I'm not that person anymore, but like my friends and family see me this way, or I even see myself this way? Am I capable of change? So that's why explaining stories can also be really powerful. If you think about parts of your life where you want to change or shift or really get some insight, looking to your stories can be very powerful. So that's my whole offering today.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love it, so let's get at it too. Because I noticed something as I was preparing for this show where I think one of the questions that I think gets asked are the questions of what are the stories we tell over and over about ourselves? What do we repeat? How did they shape us? How true did they become after time? And let's start at the beginning where you want to start. What are some of the stories? What do we know about stories? What do we know about why we tell them, why we don't tell them, and why they're important?
Speaker 2: Sure, so, like you said to the first story, human things are storytelling machines. We're natural storytellers. Like we tell stories to pass down information, to connect our family stories, so like here's here's your family history. We share stories to make us laugh, we share stories to scare each other. Like we still all kinds of stories, right, and you think about books and movies, we're storytelling machines. It's how we process our world through story. And sometimes you can tell a story. Instead of explaining an emotion, you tell a story that shows the emotion. Like instead of saying, now we're going to talk about embarrassment, you tell a story about embarrassment and everyone then can relate to that rather than embarrassment, is the feeling of when other people see something they shouldn't see and that you're scared of them seeing, and then it's weird versus like I think, like a story I tell about embarrassing and is when I was giving a presentation and I was wearing tights and a dress and my tights started coming down on their own and how I and I tell that in one of my stories, in one of my presentations, I use it as an example of how do you get through an embarrassing moment and be resilient. But I don't say this is going to be a story about embarrassing my mirors. I just tell what I did, and you see people like, oh my god, her tights are coming down. Her version right. You see the response. So we tell stories because it connects people in ways that if we more direct sometimes we lose the ability to capture imagination or capture the experience. So we're natural storytelling machines. And what we tend to do too is most of us have what I again would say, the greatest hits version of ourselves. So if I said, hey, tell me about yourself automatically. Most people will go to a few stories or where'd you go up? Anyway? Tell certain stories when you're meeting someone new, certain stories and an interview, certain stories on a first date. Certain stories when you get together for family gatherings. And these are what I call like your greatest hits. You just know them, you know well the well their land, you know the parts that are funny, you know that people like them. They're time tested. Oh, everyone loves the story about the time that this happened, right, Everyone has those moments where we're gonna tell this story or when you I know, in our sort at our family, when we tell the story like the kids can finish this and then do you remember when this happened? Said yes, and then you said this, and then this, like they can finish because it's very scripted in a way, we know what part of the story comes next. And this it is our greatest hits version. And sometimes what I like to say too is sometimes we're giving the ted talk version of ourselves with our greatest stories. Like when you think of what stories will make me look a certain way, which stories are appropriate for this group of people or whatever, we kind of know our stories, And that's not a bad thing at all. I think it's just interesting to see if you looked at the stories you tell, and some of them are might still fit. You might because some of them though like like if you're always telling a story, we're so and so, well, you're always the good one, and you're always do this, and you always do that, and like we get into these roles, like if every story is about someone like who might be the the positive one or the habitat who always makes finds a way through?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Like well do I sometimes not? Am I sometimes not positive? But then you get into that role in the story, and then you can't be anything else but the good kid or the kid that always go through? Like do I maybe have other feelings or experiences?
Speaker 3: Do I?
Speaker 2: Maybe not? Sometimes? So like you know that feeling of like we get sometimes our stories put us into roles and and we might have outgrown those or we might be which is what I think is we're more complex than that. We're not just one thing. We're many things. And that's why it's interesting. The first section is any of the stories that are our greatest sets, the stories we tell? What are we telling about ourselves, you know in those stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love this conversation because it's fascinating when I think about this, and I think about how how I show up right in different places? And you know, how do I show up when I'm sitting on an airplane and somebody sees me doing something on my laptop or something and makes a comment, And then it turns into a conversation, who am I in that moment? Am I the polished story about who I am in that moment? Am I the funny story?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Am I the story that's going to share how vulnerable I am that I have to spend six hours on a plane working on a spreadsheet, you know? Or do I want to tell a story that doesn't want another question? So my story is right to the point, and don't bother me because I'm working. But all of these have to do with the level of awareness, and sometimes, Carrie, and this is to your point, sometimes we're just not aware enough to know who we are in the moment of that given story versus who we want to be in the moment of that given story.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Yeah, totally. And that's again we kind of get an habitual patterns in our brain kind of likes to know what it knows, and so sometimes it's hard when we're trying to shift something, we just kind of go back to what we know and what we say and what we do. So, like you said in that airport situation, depending on what you want out of a conversation, you might you might keep things short, you might engage you one if someone on a plan says what do you do for a living? And you think I talked to someone recently who was he's essentially an assessor for taxes on property, He's like, I never like to with that because then everyone's like hates me and they and they never like want to get to tell me as a person, right, yeah, like whatever, it's nay, I'll call him Rick, all right, So like we're I'm a person, but the minute I say what I do, people have a story about me and taxes and money and property and how horrible it must be. So it's like I really have to say, like find other things to redirect people too, because depending on the situation, I don't the story of myself is something that with my job turns people away, right, And so that's an interesting thing. Like what do you want out of the conversation? How are you trying to connect with somebody or not? And then like our identities, sometimes we get so wrapped up in our work that we also think like the story of our work is our identity, like all I am is this, and then we again it's hard to like I think sometimes when people like let's say I'm talking to someone and I say I'm a therapist, they say I'm an accountant, and I'm like, okay, well, then now we have nothing to talk about, yeah, versus the story of like where are you from? What things interest you? How long have you been here? Like you know, what's your favorite thing that you've done in Denver or whatever? Like other ways we can connect with people that they can tell us a story about something else where we can make a connection. And I think usually with our greatest hits, we know enough about ourselves to like put up the greatest hits or to put up what we know in a networking situation versus I'm going to a party and I've never met these people. What stories are safe to tell? What stories will people like? What stories you know? And again, this isn't bad necessarily, it's just good to think of what stories do I tell time and again, and to me, what parts of those things are kind of ingrained in how I think about myself, And are any of those things more complex than how I'm presenting them, or can I see myself as like, oh, in this story, I'm always every story like, I'll say this for my family and my family, I'm the good kid and my sister's a bad kid. There it is, I'm the good one, she's a bad one. I did this good thing. She always got in trouble, right, And then that's it. It's so polarized and in fact that it's not always true, right, think about the family story. Then she gets to be the kid that always got in trouble, and I get to be the kid that always didn't, and that again boxes us in sometimes to be like, no, that's not the whole story. It's been in family stories, you usually tell them in a certain way. So again, it's just an opportunity to connect with your identity. And sometimes when I'll say, what's the greatest version, greatest hits version, and if you even wrote down a couple of like we always tell this at a family gathering, I'll tell this in a networking thing. I'll tell this a sense of like how you see yourself in the stories that are worth telling? And then it gives you an opportunity to say, what are their stories? Why am I not telling this story? Like? Is it on purpose? If I text her way? Have I forgotten about it? Is it because it doesn't present me in this way? But it's kind of a good exercise just to think, what are my greatest hits and the stories that I keep telling? What does it say about me in a curious way. We're not looking for judgment, We're looking for insight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have been on our little rant because I've been sharing this story about an amazing actor which I won't go into today, but I've been sharing her story on what she did to create a technology that fills in the missing gap of AI. And I'm talking about Miladjovovich or Djoviovic actor model incredible. And I share that story. So somebody said to me, because I've shared it a lot, and they said to me the other day, why do you keep telling that story? And I said, well, because once upon a time the Dhali Lamas said that women, especially women in the West, will become the leaders, will become the leaders in the world, and I share her story and what she created and then what she did with it to demonstrate what the dolly Loma was talking about. So the person said, I don't get it. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So what she created AI memory? She's an actor and da da da da da, and she could do that. I said, no, that's not her story. She was rejected by every developer she asked to work with her, and she went to a friend and they developed memory for AI to fill the gap that AI has. Because I don't know about you, but my AI lost a two hundred page project. And so Mila comes in and so then the person said to me, but I still don't get it. Pat, why, I mean, what is the big deal? I said, well, you're missing the point. This is a woman. Why does she stand out as a leader. She didn't capitalize it. She didn't take it and make a trillion dollars, which she could have. They developed a superior memory for AI to fill a gap ninety seven to ninety eight percent performance, developed it and I asked the person, do you know what she did with that? And they're like, and I'm like, hello, I keep talking about her because she gave it away for free. She gave it away, she made this men Palace freeware Gethub, she gives the code away. So am I really talking about the technology or am I telling a story about the role model of future leadership?
Speaker 2: Sure? And like you're telling a story too about someone a woman, a woman in leadership, a woman who's generous, a woman who's smart, a woman who struggled, a woman who had to find another way, a woman who maybe didn't get recognized this a way and part of that too. It's like, how does that relate to your own story? Right? Because sometimes when we see these other stories, it either inspires us because we're like that just to me is amazing because something in me wishes I could do that, or I've had that experience, or it's something that like we aspire to be like that, those values that someone has, like the kind of and it's it's I do a similar thing when I talk about Shackleton. Ernest Shackleton is a big explorer in Antarctic, and love him, and I keep bringing him up a lot, and I'm like, he's like my leadership hero though, because he's someone like his story is aspirational, right, and so in his story of survival and getting all the men on his crew didn't die essentially in a two year journey where they could have died multiple times, right, and his leadership was attributed to getting them back home safely. And I tell that story too. But I'm like, to me, it's inspiring. I'm like, well, why do I care? Because I want to be an inspirational leader because I think resilience is important. Because I so those stories. I think this the story exemplifies that I get inspired. So those are good. That's good that you bring this up. Because sometimes there's internal stories that we tell ourselves, like a greatest sense, and sometimes there's external things in the world, stories that we connect to, stories that inspire us, stories that make us think, stories about people in places, you know, in parts of the world or in different times and in history. But then we still connect and like find inspiration. There's there's a beautiful quote in one of the Indigo Girls songs where they're talking about a telephone line through time where the reading of this biography is like a telephone like, oh my god, I've like, I feel this person who wrote a book a million years ago like that years ago. But it's affecting me now. So that whole thing is stories externally as well kind of shape us. And I think it's good to look at what inspires you about other people's stories. Like you said, why do you keep telling the story? Because I got to because I've inspired by it, right, either because something I aspire to or something I feel like I am and I connect with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, look at storytelling is somebody said to me, I want, I want your comment on this for a minute, Carrie. It's fascinating the comments people make about the stories we tell.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Clearly me me sharing this meme palace story over and over again to some people seem obsessive, but for me, I want to honor this woman, and I have the platform to do it. The other thing is how many people I listen to a couple of different people all the time, right, And I have this one person that does a daily kind of thing, right, it has thousands of episodes, right, and what he does and he tells the same story over and over again. And somebody said to me, I know why he does that. He doesn't. He hasn't really had a hard life, so he has to tell that one story over and over again, because that's the only story he has. And I said, wow, I said, that's what that's what you see? I said, yeah, how many times are we going to hear about this guy like winning the Compact Center? And I said, is that what you that's like what you got out of the story. And then I said something unusual, what part about that is really bothering you?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I don't usually go I mean honestly, but I was like, Okay, yeah, I've heard that story as many times as you, but I've always heard it from a different perspective and it always reminds me of what's possible in the world. So here I am saying to this person, what is it about him repeating himself that bothers you? And that opened up a whole lot of a whole lot, And that's my point to you.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 3: There are the stories we tell about ourselves and the stories we don't. But in this person's case, there was a story that wasn't being told by this person. You know, he wasn't going to tell the story because it was too vulnerable. So let's talk about the stories we tell them the stories we don't. They're equally important.
Speaker 2: Yes, And sometimes when you think about the stories we don't tell. We're doing it for safety. We're doing because it is vulnerable. It is it's not the right space, the right people also to protect us. And sometimes the stories we don't tell are involved because it's traumatic. And that's definitely a whole category of the stories we don't tell. There are also stories we don't tell and keep hidden because we're embarrassed by them. It's too vulnerable because then what will people think of me? We feel like, oh, I'm going to if I tell the story, will show that I changed my mind so I wasn't really committed to it or something like, it will show things about us where it doesn't maybe cast us in the best light. And we can't afford in our relationships to wonder will now people still think of me the same, So our brain does a calculation around is it worth it? Is it worth it? And there's a difference I think I got to say in our society between like forced vulnerability and actual vulnerability. And I see this a lot when people be like, it's okay, this is a safe space, just share your stuff, share your things, and like, no, I always say when people say that, because I want to say like I'll let you know if it's a safe space depending on our relationship. What I feel like, you can't force trust or force vulnerability. But sometimes I do feel that people are supposed to like share their deepest, darkest secret, and like when what venue? For what purpose? Like sometimes those things are sacred to us or hidden for a reason, And I think that's okay too, to think, Like the the idea of exploring it is like what are the things? Do are the things I'm keeping hidden influencing my identity? Just as much is this thing I the things I have to share it? All right?
Speaker 3: All right, let's get to this though. Let's get down to it. Because you are a speaker. You are like out there like almost every day, I think you're being hired to come speak. You have to decide what you're going to share, map it up with the audience, right, you know, you know, So let me let me just try to be clear about this because this is very very important because we're living in this is me my opinion, So this is a little hot button for me. I believe we're living in a world now, especially women, where we are being silenced and we don't even know it. Seven hundred and fifty thousand women lost their jobs last year out of nowhere, and most of them were women of color. And so there's this silence thing going on. We're afraid to talk, but we're also afraid to talk for a lot of reasons. But you're a keen speaker. You're going to get up there and you're going to talk about Maybe you're going to talk about your family. Maybe you're going to talk about your dad like you did here. Maybe you're going to talk about your life experience that you went through. Maybe you're going to talk about all of that, just like I do. But here's the big butt, Like it's a giant butt. Can you see the butt on the screen? Is it your butt or is it my butt? Here it is Some of us get to a moment where we make a conscious decision. And I know you know this because you do it every day. And we say on this day because this happened to me during COVID and it actually happened before COVID. When guidelines in alcoholics anonymous, And I know you are familiar with recovery, right, right, counselor right? Okay? Yeah, And you know that speaking in public about alcoholism or drug addiction if you are that person was a serious no. No kept everybody off the air except Marty Mann, who was my mentor. For those of you out there, go look up Marty Mann. Marty Mann was a woman and she got on television shows back in the day, and then we didn't talk about it. But the epidemic of addiction and alcoholism was so deep from me and part of my story which I didn't really share a lot, so I had to make a decision to come out and talk about that openly. A lot of backlash from it. So I want to ask you, should I have edited it more? How many versions of that story have I given sense that I keep editing? Am I editing? Am I editing to tell the truth? Am I editing to be authentic? Or am I editing because I'm afraid?
Speaker 2: Caring well that those are beautiful questions. And what I love about how you set it up is we edit for so many reasons on one side, and then the other side is who is the audience? Right? So the internal editing as am I still afraid? Can I be authentic in this space? Have I told the story so long the other way that I'm it's I don't even remember really the right way or have I kept it hidden version? I'm scared of what's going to come up. But and then again on the other side, the audience, like does that story need to be told to someone standing in the line at the supermarket, to an AA group, to a place where your conference is speaking, like where does the story show up? And to what I like to say? To what end? Because sometimes I feel people tell their story and the end is like do I just want to make you feel sorry for me? Do I want to make you sad? Do I want to inspire you? Do I want to connect with you? And then the question too, is this a safe space? And sometimes the answer is no. But you have to think what's the purpose of the engagement? And we're telling a story, there's usually a purpose to it, like people tell me all the time stories and therapy. It's like a one person audience. Here's the story, and it's a different environment than if you're at a dinner party or on a giving a keynote. So I think you have to sing on both sides of why we edit our stories and do some internal work and then also think who's the audience, because that's a real thing and again, it doesn't always have to be about trauma that we keep these things secret. It can be right because it just isn't I'm not comfortable enough telling the story yet, or the audience is not like I think sometimes what I'll see. I'll just also give this as an example. Sometimes I'll work with people who want to be better speakers and we'll go through there their speech and essentially one person I worked with said, Okay, I'm going to start with a joke and then I'm going to go into this stat and then I'm going to tell this story and then I'm going to do it. And I was like, well, what is okay? Like what does the joke have to do with the stat? Have the story? And the person's like, well, this is a heartwarming story, Like well, what does the heart warming star have to do with your topic? Or like what's the end? Who had the audience? But they're like, well I looked it up and said, like an ABC speech is like this, do this, do that. And I had to be like, okay, but what's the point of the stat what's the point of the joke, what's the point of the story, and who is your audience? And for your case, when you think about addiction, the audience part of it. You're your own audience, right, Am I ready to hear this story? Am I ready to tell it? What parts of it need telling? And then when you think about if you did something in an AA group, telling the raw story where people are going to get it and understand you and hold that space for you and not be judgmental, is one thing. Telling that story on this general stage. Say you're doing a talk as part of a conference.
Speaker 3: Very different.
Speaker 2: It's very different. And so that's why we edit to be like and maybe I tell a part of the story to show that. I'm like if you said, like, I'm going to tell part of the story of my recovery because it adds to the my topic, or it adds some humanness to the philosophy I'm giving you or telling you. But we have we have to gauge that. And that's why it's like an internal and an external. And you mentioned me being a speaker. I use stories all the time, all the time to share things. But I also make sure I share things that are not wounds. They are not open wounds, they are scars. They have been scarred over. I could see the scars still but I'm not. I'm not having a wound, And I think that's important to think about too, because I don't if I haven't processed it myself and I am able to talk about it, what am I actually doing to the audience? And so if I'm sharing that, am I trying? What are we trying to get from them? What am I trying to them feel? And as a speaker, you're trying like I'm in charge here, I'm taking you on a journey, but I'm not leaving it hanging. And I don't want you to worry about me as a speaker, And when I'm in a role as a speaker, I don't want you to worry about me, right, And so if it's something as a wound, I'm not going to talk about it. It's off the table for me. Right. But if I'm in my therapy session and I want to talk about something and the wounds of that might be a great place to get into it, right. Or if I'm with other speakers and we're talking about how to utilize stories, and I'll be like, well, what should this part of the story exemplifies My point was, here's the whole story, which part should I pull out right. So again, sometimes you have to tell the whole story to make a point. But it's it's good the stories we edit are this. It's kind of a murky but cool area because is internal and the external questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's just what I love about it, because storytelling is very, very powerful. And you know, here's the thing that came up as I was preparing for this today, Carrie. And the thing that came up for me is something I've said out loud and I can't remember exactly how I phrase it depends on my mood, right, And I think I said something like, okay, I think I think texting is going to get rid of our storytelling ability. I made that statement one day and somebody came back to me, like fifty people and said, did you know that you have to be a great storyteller to text? Well, okay, okay, now what do I have? I have a new level of awareness. So I asked myself, as Byron Katie would do, Is that true? Is what I said true? Because there's a news story now to tell, and it's the story of the world of technology that allows us to not only edit our stories, but we live in a world of technology that could take a story that we put in, especially using AI, and spit out something else that is nothing like our story, and yet we think it's the story we're going to own. And so we're living in this space where we're trying to keep up with ourselves. To my friend's point, to your point, the person that they were referencing was Joel Ostein. Now. I don't know how many people know Joel, but I will tell you he's a pastor, he's a minister, and he does tell this story a lot, but he tells it in different context. And that's what I wanted to ask you. What's the relationship between storytelling and context. Do you see what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Yes? And I think that's so so important because in storytelling, again, performative storytelling, when you're like that, I'm telling a story because I'm a speaker and I'm trying to use he says, because he's a pastor and he's trying to make a point. But if still we're telling stories like if I'm in the grocery store talking to someone, or say this, I've talked to someone recently who's about to have their first baby, and it's a friend of a friend, and just like what stories would it be good to tell a person who hasn't had a kid yet? And what stories You're like, I don't want to tell you this because you don't need to, right, I don't want to scare you, right Like, so like those stories in context of like new mom, hopeful and all that, you're gonna dredge up every worse story ever, right and help resurvive versus like here's what you know, here's some tip series wadies, or here's some great experience like a know your audience. But the performative part about that? Even in my show, I do a one woman's storytelling show. It's a performance around stories and the stories are all true and all real. But when you edit a story, you think about, oh, I might have to compress the story, and like because you like when you think about, don tell all the parts of the story. You could tell a story about something that happened over five years in three minutes, right, Like, so you have to compress. You also have to think of the arc of like the emotion, and I think you also what's the point of the story. What's the point? And what information do you keep in and what do you lay out to help drive the point, and sometimes you say the point is pure entertainment because it's just funny. So now just say the point is to like share an emotion that instead of saying, like I said, I felt embarrassed the story when my tides felt done in front of three hundred people, right like, that's a batter story and how I got through it. But all those things are like how we choose to edit to me, isn't isn't necessarily problematic unless we are editing so much that we're like, what's the actual true story? Right like, I'm editing it for this audience? What's the whole story? Can I look in the parts? Do I know the parts that I'm not telling? Do I recognize that I'm more complex than this is? I can see this example is what it's for. But then do I remember and understand as the storyteller, as the keeper of the stories, the whole thing, And I'm not just bringing up the best parts of myself always to show other people and myself? Can I be okay with my complexity? And can I be okay with my dualistic things? Sometimes I'm I'm an awesome inspiring person. Sometimes I'm angry and bitter, and sometimes I'm hopeful and sometimes I'm just dejected, and sometimes I'm happy, joyful, and sometime is sad and angry all in the same person. And so that's the thing with editing our stories. When you think about performing a story, it's one thing when you think about who's your audience. And I would say performing you are performing stories all the time, all the time, when you're interview for your job, you're performing right when you're meeting someone for the first time, when you're at a dinner, for all the things. But the editing part that we really want to think psychologically about is can I still hold the space for the whole version of myself? And am I still worthy of love even if I'm not all ways great or positive or hopeful or whatever. Am I still of human being? Right? And can I hold the whole story in here? And I think that's important because sometimes we edit so far we're like, I don't even know if it's true anymore, I don't even know what part of the stories I'm leaving out anymore, or I'm only shaping it to have this viewpoint of it, and I'm forgetting this. That's when it gets dangerous because you lose your identity in the process of editing. And sometimes we've edited and edited and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what's the actual story exactly? But you know, part of this is storytelling is a great way to prove either a method, an approach, a lesson, a learning right. You know, there are stories we use about ourselves. But I will tell you that when I talk about my homeless story, and if I share it in a show, I don't I give you the cliff notes, right, I don't. I don't take people through that agonizing journey of what it was like to come home one day and find all of my things on my front lawn, my parents throughout, because for me, that's going to miss the point of what I'm about to share, because my homeless journey taught me lessons that have gotten me to where I am today. But I could spend an hour talking about what the feeling was like about all of my things starting on the lawn and my brother who I raised, hanging onto a tree with his little hamster, asking me if I'm ever going to come back. I mean that in itself. I mean that just brings tears to my eyes to think about if I were telling that story of loss and repair, that would be the part of the story. But most of the time, I'm telling the story of how to find opportunity in the worst place you've ever been. You know how dumpster diving gave me the job of my life selling hot dogs. So we don't always have to share every detail, doesn't it depend on what our goal is?
Speaker 2: Yes, And it also is good because we don't want performative vulnerability. Sharing a whole story is a lot for you, right, And it brings up things in spaces that you're like, I don't know if I want to share that part of the story or that sounds not in service of what I'm doing in the relationship, right, Like we can think about that, And I do think the performative vulnerability, please is like share it all, and like I do think, like when you even said so, well, I here's the whole story. Here's the part that I share, and here's why, or here's the part that comes up for me, and and this is still hard when I think about this other part, right, it still like gets me every time. That's great that it's still good to every time because it's heart it's heartbreaking, and we don't want to miss the heartbreak with also the resilience. But like you said, on this speech, we're doingthing like what's the point of the story. And sometimes when I work with people on speeches, I'll always be like, what's the point of the story? They got the story? What is the just repeated again and again, what's the point of the story. And then someone be like, also, how many details do we need? Do we need to know that your shoes were blue and that the balloon new Head was yellow? Is that an important thing? Or is it okay that you were wearing shoes and there was a balloon there? Like, but maybe it is. Maybe the color is important. I don't know. But sometimes people include so much detail you lose it. And crafting a story is a skill. It's a skill to be able to say what do I keep in? What do I put out? What is the point of the story? And again, who's my audience? Here's what I see other people do this. They'll be like, contact me for help with being a better speaker. In the bock, I'm working on my kinno, I'm working a mykeina and you help me make it? And I said, okay, well, who's it for? How long is it, who's in the audience, what's the that's the conference about? What is the objective? And they're like, I don't know. I'm just making my kino. I'm like, for nobody, for you're just making keino. And I think it's fine to put ideas down what you would talk about, but until you know the audience and the time you have available. And this is a big thing. My storytelling show is not five days long, and it's not five hours long. It's an hour and a half. So I have so much time tell my stories, right, And then you think and also when you're networking or so, you don't have so much time to tell story, so you have to be thoughtful about how and when and what you share. And I feel like the editing part, like again, that's the external facing. I want to talk a little bit about the internal editing too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do that because that's very important because isn't the internal editing doesn't it hit you know, the scale of emotions and so forth and so on? You know, And I want to know what you think about this and say about it, because what I have found with internal editing, my emotions drive my decision, not a solid reliable mind.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why it's hard, because when we're internally editing, it's emotion driven usually and the reason they're choose things to share or not. Some things are really emotional and again it's more of a wound than a scar, or it's embarrassing or what will people think? And then we get into our heads about you know, can I share this or not? Sometimes to our detriment though, because sometimes we make a decisions. I can't share this, and if we did, it might bring us closer to people who love us, or make us more multi dimensional, or it might help us. Remember I am very complex, and I can hold all these things about myself. We forget No, I can only be good or happy or whatever you think you have to be. So the internal editing part, I just want to give an example of when it gives you insight to be like why haven't Why have I internally edited this to what end? And like maybe have I outgrown that need? Or is it safe now? And like for me, if you said tell me, I always say, this is going to be the title of my book. My mom was a nun, my dad was gay, my sister was adopted from Vietnam, and I married a one armed man. Like, there's everything you need to know about me. All those things are true, right, So.
Speaker 3: I mean to laugh at you. I think that is a perfect example of rare, vulnerable and powerful altogether.
Speaker 2: And that to me is that that's the summary statement. And then we could go a whole bunch of different directions with that. Right. And it was your dad really gay? Yest? Did he really marry an x nine? Yes? Was your sister adopted from Vietnam? Uh? Huh? And did you marry one or man? Yep? Pick any topic right? And then I've always taken myself out of the narrative because see all these other people were talking about, But like, where am I in that? And I think that I centered by saying that I always centered around other people, but I've never had my experience in that in those relationships. Similarly, I would have said if you said, well, how was it growing up, They're like, oh, it's fine. My dad came out when I was eight, and then he went to go live in a different part of the town. He went to go to Denver. We stayed in Broomfield. And then I was really proud of him because he found his identity and then I grew up and it was fine, and I really would like, you know, just thinking, and then I was fine, and then it I know, and that is true. That is part of the story, right, I did grow up and I'm fine. But this is the internal editing part that I didn't and I did realize. Not why I did it. I did it for protection because as a child when I was eight, I didn't understand how to process the divorce. My dad had to go deal with his coming out situation and wait, my mom had to freak out and be like, oh my god, what's having My sister went her own direction. We all went our own ways. And then also they said, by the way, you have to keep it a secret because Dad could lose his job.
Speaker 3: Or worse exactly where he's an eight year.
Speaker 2: Old keep a really big secret for an adult, Like that's okay, right, But I never questioned it because you just live it and something you're like, okay, I'll just keep this big secret. It won't have any impact on me. They had a huge impact on me, But I was just adapting. And sometimes we tell our stories, we adapt to the moment because I don't have the capacity as an eight year old to process that. So then I just grow up and I keep that same idea that I'm okay. And then now as a fifty four year old, what I've been reflecting on it more since my mom passed, actually, because I think some of the secrets of families when people pass or when things change, you start to be able to talk about things. And I'm like, what if I wasn't okay? What if that was a really big deal? What if it was horrible that no one checked it out a child? What if it was weird to think like, well, I was going to keep a secret. So now more of that story is coming up for me to be like, huh, and I have I told my family stories so many times like yep, and I was fine and there's no room for me, Like, oh well, I was not actually fine and that was a lot to manage, and I know ever talked about it, And I also became kind of secretive and never suctressed my feelings because I didn't think there was a space for me in the story, right, And like, it's just really amazing how we can see a story and then a truth, and then there's a true or true truer truth and another perspective and more meaning. And now it's safer for me to tell that story. Somehow I took from eight to fifty four, but now I can finally start telling the story.
Speaker 3: Well exactly that happens to all of us.
Speaker 2: We have things that will be like we can go back to spaces. Sometimes it becomes safe for some reason, or we want to, or we realize we're only telling such a limited version that it's not serving us.
Speaker 3: And this is part of what we do. And what I love about this conversation is really getting at the underpinnings of why we do it. And you know what, it's also important to say there's no right or wrong, and I think that's the trap we fall into sometimes. Well maybe I should have shared earlier about my mom being an addict alcoholic. Well, really, you can't go back and change it, So why are you thinking about that? And you know, there's this process about storytelling and sharing that we have to grow into, and I think that's what you're talking about the work you do with other people. There's this growth spurt period where I want to be a keynote speaker, and you really get all eager about it until you learn that keynote. Speaking has a formula. There are things that you share to match what your client wants you to talk about, So then you have to edit your story again.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that's what you're being in service of the person who hired you for the conference, for the outcome that they want. What's the theme of their conference? Why do they hire you? What's your topic? How's it impacted? Are you the opener, are you the lunch or the closer? What are you leaving people with? Right? And then you But that to me is part of an a good speaker is like, I'm in service of the audience and the person who hired me. What do they want out of this experience? How can I use my speaking to give them that experience? But I always say I always ask people what is the outcome you want from this presentation? Yeah? What is the outcome? Is it to feel energized motivated? Is it to be reflectfble? Is it give people time to connect? What's the outcome? Is it to send people out of there ready to go to the conference? Is it to wrap things up in a way that feels like, yeah, we came together Like but you, as a speaker at it all the time. Like, and I have to laugh because my husband will see me working on my talks and let's say I talk about emotional intelligence, like like, that's seventy percent of what I probably talk about. And he will see me working in a presentation and I like, you just gave this talk, like why is the work? And I'm like, and I hugged books out like computer, I have written notes I'll have like nothing, and I'm like, because I learned something different than I sure, or this would be so good for this audience, or like I feel like I'm trying incorporate this. My timing needs to be better for this or this one is forty five minutes and this was an hour and fifteen, right, So like you, but I'm constantly and I think he's a little bit exasperated because it's like you are just take it off the shelf and like, Nope, no, it will work because I think what you said is so true. We know your audience know that, and again we're talking about from the example of being a speaker, but I think also knowing your audience in your life, what friends can you really share things with and you feel connected with? But I also would say, what stories could you tell your friends that might help them all for connect feel more connected to you, Like can you share yourself with certain people in different ways? Also, in the world at large, sometimes we're so busy playing the greatest hits we don't say what other things can I bring up that might help me connect with this person or see the world in a different way, or expand something about me? What's a different way right of showing up in the world? And can I practice can I sort of think about my complexity and what I might have to share.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so important to really think these things through because what you're talking about today is one, be aware that you have a story to tell. Two, understand that you have to be in alignment. You know, the stories that we're telling, whether it be to ourselves or family, friends, the public, companies, you have to be in alignment, right, you know what is your purpose behind the story?
Speaker 2: Well, and I'll say this too, I think social media has shifted our ability to tell the true story about ourselves because I think a lot of And someone asked me this straight up and I was like, is this a real course? Like what's your brand personality? And I was like, my brand personality is me? Like but I was like so shocked about like, and I do think social media though, what do we put up on social media? What do we not like everyone on social media? I think when you're putting something up on social media, like here's my worst day ever, you're usually look at this great meal I made, Look at this fabest place I went to. Look at my cute new hat. Look how gre my kids are, Look how cleaned my house. Whatever you're doing, and you're not, you're performing to me for social context, and sometimes we're so out of like our social media presence yea, and our real lives are. It's a big disconnect for some people. And I think that's another thing that other generations didn't have to consider that we will have to consider, Oh, what are we putting out there to the world, you know, on social media, either on our personal pages or professional pages. And again that's cultivated. What do you put on your professional site versus your your personal site? You know, different things. But this is the thing that is tricky for a lot of us, like how do I navigate my persona? And that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's fascinating you bring that up, because you know, when I people know me for this except the people that know me when I'm outside of my occupation. But I'll go to an event, a networking event, and I'll be sitting at a table and I don't say very much and people want to know if I'm okay, and then I have to explain how much of an introvert I am. Oh, yes, right, And so I realized, wait a minute, I don't want to keep explaining that I'm an introvert. That's another story. If I'm going to go to an outside event, people are going to want me to be the person they see on air and Jeevez pat that's not that hard to do, right, but it is a stretch because it cuts against who I really am. When I'm out a network event, I'm no different except I'm just extremely curious about other people and I talk less about myself. But it's a shock for people to see me not this. It's a real shock, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say that for me too, Like, yeah, when we have our external sides, because I'm a performer, so like I'm performing and i'm speaking, I'm doing my show and I'm doing my stuff, and then I need my quiet time too, Like some people are shot. Like my favorite thing to do is honestly travel by myself or be by myself a little bit because nobody knows me, or nobody can knows has an idea of myself that then I live up too. So sometimes when you travel by yourself, you're not with someone negotiating things, but then it's easy for other people to approach you. But when you're traveling and not in your familiar circles, people see you for you, not your persona, and then you get to be more well around it because I like you, like I'm I'm very extroverted, and I have an introverted part of me that needs to be taken care of, but it's hard to when you're like seeing publicly in a certain way. It's it's a real thing that we cultivate, like on you, you're a very complex, multifaceted person, just like me, just like everyone else. And so either people are gonna put you in that box or you put yourself in the box. And again that the invitation is not to be judging about it, but be curious, like where's that serving me? Where is it not serving me? And also the invitation I love about what you said is can I invite people to see me in different ways can I invite a different perspective on myself, like by sharing or like you said, I like to listen whether they like to talk at these events, Like that's beautiful way to think about your approach, you know, to get more out of it and to show up more holistically pat or like when you call yourself Patty, doctor pat pat and Patty Patty Yeah, allow you at different parts of your life that I'm like, absolutely, you know, and that's that's a great way to think about it. Oh, can I what do I want out of this interaction? And how am I showing up again? Not just on autopilot? The invitation is to bring some awareness and that to me is the where the excitement has come. And I have some awareness.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's interesting to have fun. And I know we already have a few minutes left. But here's the whole point to this. What I love about what you're bringing up today for me is we are multi dimensional people and we can show up differently. It doesn't mean we're not authentic and we're not an authentic self. We show up differently.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: For years, Atlantis Morissett was called the angry girl singer, right, I mean that goes what did she write about? She wrote, some of her songs are like that until she wrote thank you that song. Now she confused the public.
Speaker 2: Are you angry girl?
Speaker 3: Or are you grateful girl? And you know, but the point is this, we get to be whoever we are, and we get to cultivate the stories we want to tell to really match wherever we are and what we do. But it is very important to be aware of who you're sharing this story with, when to share, when not to share, when to edit or not to edit, because sometimes the story isn't about you, it's about listening to the other person. And I think that's part of the journey, you know, in this me Me III world. You know, I want to hear Joel Ostein tell that story a thousand times. I want to hear how he kept faith in through some magical thing he got the last vote to build the Compact Center. I want to hear the story of how he was going to get sued and they weren't going to be able to build, but then one day, magically the suit went away. See why do I want to hear that? Because I need those stories for myself to remember what's possible. Not what's probable, not the guess work. And this is part of it, my journey, in your journey. When we do the shows, we're pretty upbeat. We're sometimes funny. We're sometimes funny, and we will get we will get backlash, and backlash is a funny word, but we'll get feedback. Like the other day, somebody said, Pat, doctor Patt, I cannot believe that you're talking about the Resident Evil movies. You actually watch them, And I'm like, yeah, it was a game. It's about zombies, it's about heroes, it's about badass women.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: But then I explained how I got to be there, what my childhood was like, why my only escape were movies like that, how they became my point of comfort, how I took Frankenstein to bed with me every night, asking him to protect me from my horrific childhood. You see, it can open that door, can't it?
Speaker 2: Yes, it can. And if you know that, right, you know that about yourself, then you decide how and when you share that. But also you don't let someone else if I can't believe you do that, Well, here's some way, and here's why. But I think people do them a lot of times. I can't believe this about you. I can't believe we'll believe it because I'm a complex, interesting person and I'm not always what you think I am. And again that's identity. I know reject it and other people reinforce it. But then sometimes we have our own and we limit it. And that's where we're talking about, Like with the little exploration and curiosity, we don't have to limit what we know about ourselves. And the stories that we tell about ourselves and the stories we experience are really good conduits for self awareness. And it's that line between like knowing them and then sharing them when you think about, okay, who and to what end and what's the purpose of it? But I'm not going to edit myself. I would at least know for myself my sort and I think tapping into that is great self awareness. It's empowering. It helps you see what you've been through, It sees what's possible. And then I think, like you said, stories is a way to connect. I feel like listening to other people's stories, sharing stories, connecting through story is so powerful missing out right by limiting yourself to the greatest hits like and think about that, like, how could we connect in more authentic, meaningful ways and use our stories for external connection and internal knowledge.
Speaker 3: When you think about it, Carrie, and thank you for today. When you think about it, If it weren't for those people scratching hieroglyphics on a wall, hello, we would know nothing. So we need to learn how to scratch our own hieroglyphics on a wall. Thank you for today. What is the best way for people to find out more about you?
Speaker 2: They can go to Canutson speaks dot com, k n U T s o n speaks dot com and has information about my show, about coaching, about my topics and keynotes and presentations and all about me.
Speaker 3: Basically awesome, Thank you so much for today. And you know what stories are the things that dreams are made of. Dreams are the things that visions are made up. Visions are the things that allow us to act in ways that we don't even believe or possible. What we have the faith we know we can. Thank you for all of that. Thank you, Carrie, Thanks doctor Pat to all of you out there. What's your story? Are you compromising on it? Do you know how to rely? Are you willing to at least embrace the story of your life for yourself. We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to Get Big Out Loud Radio, where we explore the complex, funny and beautiful right of life with me Carrie Knutson, joining Doctor Pat live every second Monday at ten am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio dot com. I will help you to know which thoughts are keeping you small in order for you to get big, Get big, and live your life out loud. For more information, visit Canutson Speaks dot com.
Speaker 2: The best take to the Beast Stake