Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to my podcast. This is an audio version of my videos available to make listening to my stuff in the background easier than YouTube makes it. But since my videos are primarily made for YouTube, there may be occasional references to visual materials. If you'd like this podcast ad free, you can join us on Patreon app, Patreon dot com, slash Vice Rhino. Please enjoy.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to my channel Vice Rhino. Here today I'm looking at an answers in Genesis, Canada video called the Worst Lies about the World Your school taught you, though I have learned by now not to trust their titles to be accurate representations of the contents of the videos, because apparently this organization that has an article explaining that they would never lie to a Nazi to save a Jew doesn't have a problem with lying if it means more clicks on their videos, and more clicks equals more money. Lying to save a life, Nope, lying for money. Absolutely. Side note. As atrocious as that article is, it actually gets worse At one point, when setting up their scenario, they point out how using a Jew for this example instead of one of the many other groups of people that the Nazis persecuted is not just because the Jewish people were the most well known targets of the Nazis, and so this framing is one that will require the least explanation, but rather it is a clever ruse meant to tug on your heartstrings because AIG apparently agrees with the Nazi stance on the LGBTQ community and disability, So using a trends or disabled person as the example wouldn't be hard for them at all. Of course they'd turn them in. So yeah, just in case you needed another reason to dislike answers in Genesis, let's see what this video is about.
Speaker 3: Growing up in a non Christian environment, I had a big picture understanding of the world around me that was shaped by the thoughts and ideas derived from the secular influences that I was immersed in, whether at the state run schools I attended or through the TV movies and magazines I've read constantly on the receiving end of a consistent and cohesive narrative. That narrative was the story of evolution.
Speaker 2: Contrary to what people like Calvin will tell you, secular does not actually mean against religion. Secular is simply a word to describe something that isn't inherently religious. So when you go grocery shopping, for instance, that is a secular activity, even if you are a deeply religious person. In fact, the majority of life is secular, regardless of your religious beliefs. I know they would object to this fact, like the guy from a couple weeks ago who said that true Christians view everything through a lens of scripture. He would probably say that for those Christians nothing is secular. But really, is there anyone who is standing in the store praying over whether God wants them to buy Sharman or Scott Brand toilet paper and then doing the same for literally every product that they buy. That sounds exhausting, and I very much doubt that even the most indoctrinated, brainwashed cult member is at that level. So yes, many of our thoughts and ideas are shaped by secular influences, not because we filthy secularists are scheming to undermine your religion, but simply because they have nothing to do with religion, and like it or not, Biology is one of those things God is irrelevant to the question of evolution. Evolution is just a thing that happens regardless of your beliefs about.
Speaker 3: It, declared as a supposedly reasoned, thoroughly rational, and above all else scientific way of explaining all existence.
Speaker 2: Well, unless you're about to go into a Kent Hoven style six kinds of evolution thing in science. Evolution specifically refers to the theory of evolution in biology, which explains how the diversity of life has increased as time goes on. It doesn't even explain the origin of life, so to say that it's supposed to explain all of existence is just laughable. Honestly, this kind of seems like a cult thought stopping technique. If everything you don't like is evolution, then you don't need to explain why all of these independent scientific fields are all wrong. You can just call them all evolution and then bring up a few of what you see as the problems with one of the fields and use that to dismiss them all.
Speaker 3: How did the universe come about? Simple cosmological evolution, typically the Big Bang? How is the Earth formed? Wow? Easy? Now is geological evolution over billions of years of slow processes? Where did life come from? Well, that wasn't a problem. Chemical evolution, non living chemicals just formed the first life form, and what caused all the biodiversity we see rudimentary biological evolution through natural selection and genetic mutation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Now call one aspect of evolution into question, and your followers get to dismiss all of these very different and extremely well developed fields of science in one fell swoop, because it's all evolution, you see. And if we evolve from monkeys, why are there still monkeys? And while AIG doesn't explicitly promote that line of questioning as a thing that they think creations should use against evolution, the way that they talk about it seems designed to still leave their audience with that misunderstanding. But maybe don't voice that misunderstanding out loud. I'll go ahead and leave a link to a video where I encounter and respond to that particular tactic in a bit more detail.
Speaker 3: And how did we finally arrive quite basic actually anthropological evolution from lower ape like creatures.
Speaker 2: There's actually zero distinction between the evolution that led to the diversity of life and the evolution that led to humans. We are part of the diversity of life. It's the same thing. And Calvin's distinction here seems meant to encourage the misunderstanding that there's something special about humans that sets us apart from the animals. There's also no distinction between higher and lower forms of life. They're just different, adapted for different environments and different niches within those environments.
Speaker 3: In this explanation of everything was well packaged, always portrayed, and presented as a concise explanation of reality that was thoroughly researched to complete with charts, graphs, and dates and diagrams that provided it with the clarity and seemingly intellectual credibility.
Speaker 2: So science, the scientific ideas about all the stuff you brought up, came with facts and data to support them. That is what you just said when you strip away the creation of slant.
Speaker 3: And as a young person trying to figure it all out, I was naturally drawn to this way of thinking, as subjective reasoning based on emotion or personal preference seemed extremely arbitrary to me.
Speaker 2: Isn't that kind of the definition of arbitrary, Like no real reason, just your personal whims.
Speaker 3: Of course, what I failed to understand was that although many people like myself seemed convinced that the theory of evolution is based on an analysis of brute facts. There was actually a huge underlying philosophy that drove these materialistic conclusions long before the facts were examined, and long before I was ever born.
Speaker 2: For that matter, Even if that were true, it doesn't change the fact that evolution is a thing that happens. Best case scenario here is that you're setting up a genetic fallacy where you attack the origin of an idea in or to discredit that idea, rather than attacking the idea itself.
Speaker 3: The question of origins where did everything come from? Has only two possible answers.
Speaker 2: Either the Christian God did it? Or gay unicorn Gary did it.
Speaker 3: Either the universe arose by itself or it didn't.
Speaker 2: Oh that sure, it's one of those vapid profundities that don't actually say much of anything. You could make that statement about literally anything. Either my dick a rose by itself or it didn't.
Speaker 3: Checkmatee atheists, And if it did make itself, then some sort of cosmic evolution must have taken place to account for reality.
Speaker 2: The way you're using the word evolution is essentially as a shortcut for saying change over time. Here, So, yes, the universe has changed over time. I feel like that's one of those things that is true, whether creationism is true or.
Speaker 3: Not, and if it didn't, there must be a creator.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily having a cause that is something other than itself does not automatically mean that that cause was a being with intentions.
Speaker 3: No one has ever presented an intelligent third option.
Speaker 2: Wow, man. I know creationists ignore the majority of both cosmology and theoretical physics, but to dismiss those entire fields of science as not having produced anything intelligent is just epic levels of mediocre white man audacity.
Speaker 3: Now, although the popular version of evolution today is typically associated with Charles Darwin.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna let him finish this point before I actually respond to it, but I do wonder why they used an AI video generator to make a slow scroll past a bunch of copies of Origin of Species rather than just, you know, buying a few copies to do the same thing. That has a much bigger budget than I do, and the exact book that the video generator is trying to replicate is like thirty bucks. I spent more than that getting Piper to make those silly title card things that I did for my video on the Book of Romans. Speaking of go give that one a watch. As it stands, I spent more money making it than I earned from it, because I'm more ethical than any large corporation. So I pay Piper something like ten times the minimum wage in their state. And that's only barely an exaggeration. Of course, they have to pay me for the privilege of time outside the editing cage, but that's beside the point. Anyway, what was he saying?
Speaker 3: No one has ever presented an intelligent third option. Now, although the popular version of evolution today is typically associated with Charles Darwin, the idea of evolution is not a modern concept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, turns out people have been noticing that stuff changes over time for thousands of years now. But do you know what else has changed over time our understanding of evolution. You might say that it has evolved, and Darwin played a pretty big role in that process. But yeah, he was working from a base of existing knowledge that had been built upon for centuries before he was born.
Speaker 3: These ultimate starting axioms have been the same throughout history. The ancient Egyptians, Babylonians, Hindus, Greeks, and Romans all had ideas of millions of years and or biological evolution and added them into their beliefs.
Speaker 2: Almost like the Earth being millions of years old and biological organisms changing over time are both such obvious concepts that pretty much every religion felt the need to deal with them. I know that's probably not the real explanation here. Honestly, the most likely scenarios that Calvin is misrepresenting the beliefs of these religions. I know that Hinduism is pretty explicit about the universe being millions of years old, but the way that evolution is interpreted to fit within Hinduism is found primarily in the ten avatars of Vishnu. When Vishnu visits the Earth, he will appear in one of his ten forms or avatars, and the first six avatars kind of look like an evolutionary progression if you squint real hard, ignore a bunch of missing steps, and pretend that the last few steps are remotely close to resembling evolution. Somehow it goes fish, turtle, bore, human line hybrid, a dwarf god, and then a Brahmin warrior. I don't know what part of our modern understanding of evolution deals with human line hybrids and gods with dwarf ism, but good on them for being inclusive, I guess. Also, if we're looking at this as an evolutionary chain leading to humans, it fails on the turtle. Turtles didn't evolve until the reptile and mammal lineages had already split from each other. For the Roman and Greeks, we have philosophers like an aximander, Is, Xenophanes, Empedocles, and Lucretius proposing ideas that once again kind of looks similar ish to our modern concept of evolution if you squint and don't think too hard. They basically all agree that living organisms were produced spontaneously by the Earth, but they disagree about some of the details. An Aximander thought that everything except for humans were created this while humans evolved directly from fish. His Studentsenophanes further developed this idea, making note of marine fossils in currently dry environments and using them as evidence that the Earth has been formed out of a primordial water scenario. Empedocles thought that the Earth had spontaneously given birth to disembodied organs, which eventually came together through the power of love. Okay, the word he used in the context in which he used it would probably be better translated as an attractive force, but I could not make that joke. But he had stumbled onto a sort of rudimentary idea of natural selection, because not all the creatures that were created when those organs came together were able to survive. But in his model, selection was entirely in the past. Extant organisms don't appreciably change to him. Lastly, we have Lucretius, whose idea was similar to Empedocles, but with the idea that the selection pressures that determine survival were either speed, cunning, strength, or their usefulness to humans. And similarly, this selection was in the past. New species don't evolve from existing ones. So given that Hinduism, ancient Roman, and ancient Greek philosophy didn't really have a concept of evolution in the way that Calvin needs them to for his argument to work, I'm going to go ahead and assume that he is similarly incorrect about the other religions or philosophies that I didn't look.
Speaker 3: Into without access to the facts commonly held up today by modern evolutionists as proof of evolution. The geologic column, DNA, natural selection, radiometric dating, hominid fossils, etc.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, they did not have access to all of the facts that we have today, and thus their picture of evolution, inasmuch as you can call it a picture of evolution, is rudimentary and out of focus. Their work, plus the work of countless other philosophers and scientists throughout the centuries, is what makes our modern understanding of evolution possible. And hell, while we're here, given some of what apparently counts as rudimentary evolution involving plants and animals being created from the mud of the early Earth, Christianity could just as easily be included on his lispt. It's even got a closer approximation of evolutionary progression than Hinduism. When you look at the order of creation, sea creatures come before land animals, which are followed by humans. Sure, birds and plants are in the wrong spot, but this is at least talking about how these things actually came to exist, unlike the Hindu equivalent, which is just talking about forms of particular God takes on while he visits the Earth. So yeah, Christianity supports evolution.
Speaker 3: The fact is there have always been people who have doubted the existence of God and have followed that doubt to its logical conclusions by applying it to their interpretations of what they observed in nature.
Speaker 2: Are you really out here saying that the adherence to these ancient religions formed their ideas that you credited to their religions because they were actually a bunch of atheists? Does nobody review your scripts? I mean, I get it. I couldn't tell you how many times I've started a thought with firstly, but then got distracted during that thought so never got around it. Secondly, but I'm also a one man show over here. What about me? Excuse me? Did you pay for time out of the editing cage? I thought not anyway. Like I was saying, I'm a one man show over here, I don't have anywhere close to the resources that AIG has, So you'd think a second set of eyes to go over the script to make sure there aren't any glaring mistakes like this one would be a no brainer. Then again, if they actually wanted to remove the glaring mistakes from their scripts, there wouldn't really be much of a script left at the end of that process, would there. I guess that's the trade off when you make being abysmally wrong, a core tenet of your business model.
Speaker 3: As a poignant example, Charles Darwin's atheistic grandfather, Erasmus, formulated similar ideas and published them in a book called Zoonomia in seventeen ninety four, some sixty five years before Charles's Origin of Species.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he hit on some evolutionary ideas that were in the same vein as Lamarckian evolution, which is the idea that organisms could pass on characteristics they developed during their lifetime. Like if you worked out a lot and had lots of big muscles, then your baby would be a big muscley baby. It's Lamarckian evolution. But more to the point, Zoonomia was not a work of evolutionary biology. It was a wide ranging two volume work covering basically everything Erasmus knew about biology, and it only had a couple of paragraphs related to evolution. Now, there is little to no evidence that Erasmus Darwin's understanding of evolution had any direct impact on Charles Darwin's development of the theory. But if I set that aside and assume that this is the origin of the seeds of evolution that were first planted in Charles's mind. Then we're just back to where we started. Charles Darwin was not working in a vacuum. He did not invent the entire theory out of nothing. He was building on the discoveries of previous scientists, because that's how science works.
Speaker 3: Zunomia outlined a completely naturalistic explanation of the world, which included the ideas that the Earth was formed from a cosmic explosion, life began in the sea, became progressively more complex, and eventually became people, and that all happened over millions of years.
Speaker 2: Zoonomia is, as far as I can tell without actually reading the whole damn thing, entirely a work of biology. But Erasmus was a bit of a polymath. He was primarily a physician, but he was also a somewhat prolific poet, and in one of his poems he did paint a picture that could be interpreted as being similar to the idea of the Big Bang, though being in the form of poetry, it is incredibly unlikely that he was actually working out the astronomical details, but was rather doing poetry. But yeah, like I said, he was a bit of a polymath, dabbling in engineering and chemistry as well. He had a bunch of inventions under his belt, and even drew up a schematic of a rocket engine fueled by hydrogen and oxygen, a type of engine that wouldn't actually be invented for another century or so. So yeah, he had a few ideas that at least had the appearance of being ahead of his time, and even mentioned the fact that he was an abolitionist and advocate for women's education, though admittedly through a modern lens, his idea of educating women wasn't exactly the model of equality. But yeah, he was an interesting character to say the least.
Speaker 3: Again, notice that all of these assumptions were concluded without the common evidences that evolutionists point to today.
Speaker 2: I mean without all of them, sure, but many of them were there right from the start, from the fifth century BCE, we already had Xenophanes using fossil evidence to draw conclusions about the history of the Earth. Sure he was wrong about the details, but that's the thing. Remember how you said they came to these conclusions without all of our modern evidence. Well, all of our modern evidence is how we know that these scientists and philosophers of the past were on the right track, but had a bunch of the details wrong. As we learn more, the picture became clearer. But long ages has been pretty clear from pretty much about as long as humans have been doing science. How long those ages are has historically been a matter of much debate, and actually even the idea of long ages hasn't been as universally accepted as either of us have implied. So remember that Lucretius guy, the guy who had a rudimentary understanding of natural selection and extended it to artificial selection with the organism's usefulness to humans. He actually thought that the Earth was quite young, on the grounds that he was unaware of any historical accounts that were earlier than the Trojan War. Aristotle, on the other hand, thought that the Earth was eternal. So yeah, this story that you're telling of a monolithic idea of evolution and an ancient Earth that has been believed for longer than we've had the evidence for evolution and an ancient Earth is mostly just fiction.
Speaker 3: And note that my conclusion isn't simply the musing of a bias creationist.
Speaker 2: At this point, I wouldn't say it's even the simple musing of a bias creationist because honestly, I'm not even sure that you believe what you preach. I have caught the Aig Crew in enough blatant lies that it wouldn't surprise me at all if Calvin were engaged in pure grifting here at the released. I find it incredibly hard to believe that someone who lies as much and as easily as he does is in any way sincere about the beliefs that his lies are supposed to be bolstering.
Speaker 3: Secular professor of biology Douglas Futiema also laid out the scope of possibilities regarding the question of origins quite succinctly when he stated creation and evolution between them exhaust the possible explanations for the origin of living things. Organisms either appeared on the earth fully developed or they did not. If they did not, they must have developed from pre existing species by some process of modification. If they did appear in a fully developed state, they must indeed have been created by some omnipotent intelligence, for no natural process could possibly form inanimate molecules into an elephant or a redwood tree in one step.
Speaker 2: And then, to complete the quote, if species were created out of nothing in their present form, they will bear within them no evidence of a former history. If they are the result of historical development, any evidence of history is evidence of evolution. With my completion of the quote, we have now heard the entire opening paragraph to chapter eleven of his book Science on Trial, The Case for Evolution. This chapter, called the Case for Evolution, begins by setting up the dichotomy between creation and evolution, and then goes on to make the negative case for revolution in the form of explaining the problems with creationism, before proceeding on to the positive case for evolution. Now, in my opinion, the dichotomy that he set up is not necessarily a true dichotomy. I mean, it certainly looks that way with the benefit of hindsight. We know enough about evolution now that any naturalistic alternative to evolution has quite the bart clear before it can even begin to be taken seriously. And I'm not aware of any supernatural alternatives to evolution that don't ultimately boil down to a creator deity. Did it in one fell swoop. But his saying that it was either evolution or instantaneous creation is by no means an echo of Calvin's claim that our modern understanding of evolution was the only view of the origin of life aside from creationism, through all of human history.
Speaker 3: To account for the incredible diversity of things in our universe, naturalistic processes must have happened over an immense amount of deep time if there's no creator.
Speaker 2: Indeed, the way scientists learned that the Earth was old began with their observing of things that would have taken a long time to form, followed by them thinking, man, those would have taken a long time to form. As more and more of these things were observed, we started to get a better and better idea of just how long the Earth has been around for until radiometric dating came around and added a couple of zeros to the estimate. At any point, if the Earth were actually young, any step in this process could have ended up demonstrating that no great lengths of time were not actually necessary here, But instead every step wound up confirming that, yes, great lengths of time were indeed necessary.
Speaker 3: As correctly stated by Fujim, Believing that our universe, with such vast complexity could come into being fully formed is simply not viable to account for the vast diversity of things in our universe, All of these naturalistic processes must have happened over an immense amount of deep time if there is no creator.
Speaker 2: This quote sent me down a fun little rabbit hole. They have the citation for that quote as being the same as their last quote his book Science on Trial, the Case Revolution, page one ninety seven. Thing is, I literally just read that whole chapter and this didn't seem familiar to me. So I looked forward again and it wasn't on that page. No matter. They've messed up their citations before. So I'll just search through the book for a portion of that quote and huh, no results. That's okay. I've run into this before when using search operators like quotation marks. Any small mistake can yield zero results. Might be as simple as a comma missing or me mistyping something. So I'll just search for the word viable instead. It's not a very common word, so I shouldn't have to hunt through much. Huh four results, none of which are this quote. Weird Okay, so this quote isn't in the book. I mean, maybe I'm using a different edition. Maybe he said this somewhere else that they just got their citation right. It's made up. It's completely made up on the written article version of this video. That citation is to an older article that Calvin wrote for the Institute for Creation Research. And when you go to that article, it's just Calvin summarizing what he sees as the atheist position. Calvin quoted himself and then attributed his words to an evolutionary biologist to give them more weight. What are you doing here, Calvin?
Speaker 3: To arrive at a point where we can observe all that we see around us today, there would have had to have been, and presumably still are, innumerable changes from simple to more complex taking place in matter over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there both have been and still are. In one experiment, a self replicating RNA evolved into five DISTINCTI lineages and eventually settled into a fairly stable ecosystem with parasite host relationships as well as cooperative relationships. A simple strand of RNA developed into a complex micro ecosystem. So there you go.
Speaker 3: So, in essence, the concept of millions of years is an absolute philosophical necessity for an atheistic worldview.
Speaker 2: No, it isn't. If the universe had, through completely naturalistic processes, formed six thousand years ago, then that would not inherently rule out naturalism. It's just that there is so much evidence for an ancient Earth and universe that the only way the universe could possibly be young is through some variation of last thursdayism, the idea that God created the universe last Thursday, but made everything in such a way as to give the impression of age, including imbuing you with memories that go back to before last Thursday. That is essentially what creationism is. How can we see starlight that had to be traveling for billions of years in order to reach the Earth easy? God made the universe with starlight already in transit. He made trees with growth rings already in place. He made rocks with isotope concentrations that, when measured, would definitively prove that they are millions to billions of years old. That is just as absurd as last thursdayism, and it is the model that creationists rely on in order to claim that creationism is true. So yeah, back to the point, it's not that long ages are prerequisite of atheism. It's that atheism gives us no reason to doubt the plethora of evidence for long ages, so atheists are fine accepting them. Notably, there are plenty of Christians who accept them as well, because, as it turns out, a young Earth is not a philosophical necessity for Christianity any more than an old Earth is a philosophical necessity for atheism.
Speaker 3: At this point, some people might object and say, what mess. Philosophically these elements are required for an atheistic worldview, But if that's what the facts prove, then it's simply confirmation that their worldview is correct.
Speaker 2: Now you just got your premise wrong. As I have stated so often on this channel, atheism is the answer to one question, do you believe that a god or god exists? If the answer is no, you are an atheist, irrespective of your belief about the age of the universe. But anyway, go on.
Speaker 3: However, it's not quite that simple. Why because facts don't prove anything.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry, Calvin, I didn't realize that you were one of those people who thinks that truth is relative. I've noticed that there seems to be some weird inconsistencies in your worldview.
Speaker 3: Facts are always interpreted, and then the interpretations can be used as evidence to support whatever proposed historical narrative one desires.
Speaker 2: Not really I mean, a single fact in a vacuum might be able to work that way, but when you take a bunch of them together and then use them to make predictions, some interpretations become impossible to support. That's actually covered pretty well in the first half of chapter eleven of the book that you quoted earlier. Maybe you should read more than the introductory paragraph next time. Then we can actually give an example of a prediction made with evolutionary assumptions by just going back to what Calvin said and how I responded a couple of minutes ago. He said that if evolution is true, there would have to have been changes from simple to more complex, and these mechanisms should still be working today, so we should still be able to see it today. That is a prediction, and it's actually a pretty good one. In fact, it's not just a prediction that creationists used to call evolution into question. It's one that evolutionary researchers have made as well. As such, they designed the RNA experience that I referenced in response to this, which shows a natural tendency of an increasing complexity in an evolutionary system. Creationism, though, makes no such predictions, or rather the predictions that it does make tend to fail. If the universe was created six thousand years ago, we shouldn't be able to see stars that are much farther away than six thousand light years. It would be bigger than that because of the expansion of space time. So let's be generous and give them one hundred thousand light years. Well, without even busting out the telescope, you can see the Androma galaxy, which is two point five million light years away. So they fail that prediction. To quote the second page of chapter eleven of Science on trial, quote, if the creationist says that everything in the world, no matter how arbitrary, useless, or cruel, is just what we should expect of the Creator's infinitely inscrutable wisdom, he is tacitly admitting that creationism can predict nothing and so cannot be science. That didn't really fit with my astronomy analogy being focused on biology at all, but it still applies and proves that I read more of the book than Calvin did, so suck it.
Speaker 3: Case in point fossils. Both biblical creationists and evolutionists will point to the fossil record observable facts to support their beliefs about the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just that creationists are objectively and demonstrably wrong in their interpretation because their interpretation either makes no predictions about what we'll find, or else the predictions that it does make fail spectacularly, but they interpret those same facts and arrive at completely different conclusions. For example, evolutionists will typically assign vast ages to dinosaur fossils by a sign here he means measure, but continue.
Speaker 3: As according to their proposed naturalistic history of life on Earth, dinosaurs existed millions of years prior to humans.
Speaker 2: You're framing it wrong. No surprises there. Fossils are actually a part of the evidence that points to an old Earth. We didn't decide to pretend that the fossils are old in order to support the idea that we already had that the Earth was old. They just did that.
Speaker 3: They typically cite the rock layers in which these fossils are entombed, claiming that they were laid down slowly over millions of years of sedimentary deposition.
Speaker 2: We about to see him encourage a creationist misconception that makes them look super idiotic when talking to anyone who knows the first thing about this subject.
Speaker 3: However, biblical creationists interpret these same fossilized bones the facts as being evidence of the historical account of Noah's flood, and it's a fact that caused the rapid burial of the vast majority of the fossil record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there we go. Rapid burial is usually part of the fossilization process. It's what allows in organisms remains to persist long enough for the organic matter to be replaced with minerals, usually as I seep in through groundwater. Creationist apologists will pretend not to know the difference between some layers formed slowly through millions of years of deposition, and sometimes the remains of an organism can be buried quickly and incorporated into a rock layer, thus leaving their audience with the misunderstanding that the conventional view is that all the rock layers form through extremely slow deposition, so any fossilized organism has to have been left exposed and untouched for thousands of years without decaying in order to have been fossilized. But like volcanoes are a thing that exist, mud slides happen. How even flooding can accomplish. This from for creationists is that we can tell which environments existed in the past by looking at the rock layers, and it turns out that global flood is just completely absent from the geologic record. In fact, if the majority of the rock layers were laid down in the global flood, as Calvin claims to believe, then there wouldn't be distinct rock layers. The whole thing would be one big flood deposit. So add that to the list of failed creationist predictions. So which explanation is right, the one that makes testable predictions that, when put to the test, actually hold up.
Speaker 3: We would argue that a dinosaur, some of them being over six feet tall and slumped over in depth, would have had to have been buried extremely fast for it to have not decayed and become disarticulated.
Speaker 2: So would I, and there are lots of ways for that to happen that are not a single global flood event that happened four thousand years ago and was ignored by several civilizations whose written records go right through that time period, like the Egyptians.
Speaker 3: We would also point out that the discovery of soft tissues remaining inside many of these bones are powerful evidence of a massive cataclysma a short while ago, approximately forty four hundred years that buried them rapidly.
Speaker 2: I don't really know how microscopic amounts of tissue are still soft translates to massive cataclysm forty four hundred years ago, But again we can make some predictions here. If creationism is true, then with what we know of the permineralization process, most fossils should be mostly original material. Soft tissue shouldn't just be microscopic and buried in the most protected areas of the fossil. It should be everywhere, along with fully recoverable genetic material. But it's not, so that's another point against creationism.
Speaker 3: However, neither group has a time machine in which to travel back and verify their interpretations of the exact same facts with absolute certainty.
Speaker 2: So we'll just have to stick with predictive power, which unequivocally shows younger creationism to be impossible unless God is a trickster God doing his version of Last Thursdayism.
Speaker 3: So it's up to each individual deliberating these explanations to decide which interpretation of the facts are better than the others.
Speaker 2: No, we've reached a point where creationism is well and truly ruled out.
Speaker 3: Whether you like it or not, And the same goes for whatever other facts one points to. In the Origins debate, arch atheist and anti creationist evolutionist Richard Dawkins.
Speaker 2: Oh, for's sake, he's the arch atheist. Now my word, You guys like to hype up the authority figures. Okay, So what did cultural Christian and guy who writes articles about how he thinks Claude is conscious now think?
Speaker 3: In speaking about the evidence for evolution in defense of his atheistic worldview, once said, you have got millions and millions of pieces of evidence which no reasonable person can possibly dispute.
Speaker 2: Really, that nothing burger of a quote is what you felt the need to drag up, Richard, I can't condemn mild pedophilia Dawkins to support. Yeah, there's a bajillion data points and support evolution. What else do you have?
Speaker 3: These facts, he points to, can easily be disputed and interpreted towards a biblical explanation, far more convincingly than the materialistic counterparts he espouses.
Speaker 2: By easily, he means you have to go through so many mental contortions that you wind up tying your brain into a Gordian knot.
Speaker 3: For example, no one has even proposed a reasonable explanation as to how DNA, which Dawkins admits being like a digital code, could have occurred without intelligence.
Speaker 2: It took literal seconds of googling to find an academic article titled Origin and Evolution of DNA and DNA replication machineries do better calvin it must have.
Speaker 3: Its origin from an intelligent mind, as no coded language system has ever been observed to come about naturalistically.
Speaker 2: And that includes DNA, because, as it turns out, it's not a coded language system. If it were a coded language system, then we'd be able to figure out what genes do by reading the code. But instead researchers have to do a bunch of experiments that repeatedly activating in deactivating specific genes in various biochemical environments and then noting the differences. And that's actually a very oversimplified picture of how they figure this out. In no way is DNA as simple and straightforward as a coded language system. It's almost like it's a mess of chemical reactions that develop from previous messes of chemical reactions.
Speaker 3: Or what about microbiology or astronomy, which is the more reasonable explanation for the incredible complexity we observe in the simplest of living things.
Speaker 2: Evolution. Simplicity is a hallmark of good design. If you're designing a thing, then that thing should be no more complex than it needs to be to do what you're designing it to do. More complexity means more ways for things to go wrong. So the fact that the simplest of organisms is way more complex than it needs to be points to evolution, not intelligent design.
Speaker 3: All the way from the mind boggling precision in space discovered through incredibly powerful telescopes, there.
Speaker 2: Isn't really any precision in space. It's just a bunch of material interacting gravitationally with each other.
Speaker 3: When interpreted correctly, these facts point to our wondrous creator, the God of the Bible, quite easily, but fly in the face of naturalistic interpretations.
Speaker 2: Now, when interpreted correctly, you realize that we wouldn't be able to see ninety nine percent of the stuff that we can see if the universe were indeed only six thousand years old. But I do wonder how does the fact that light from distant objects has been in transit from millions to billions of years thus allowing us to see things that are millions to billions of light years away fly in the face of the naturalistic interpretation that the universe is billions of years old.
Speaker 3: The challenge is most people, including Christians, have only ever seen an evolutionary explanation of these facts, and so conclude they must somehow be correct. They often don't even realize there are other interpretations available and think the evolutionary interpretation itself is akin to fact.
Speaker 2: I very much doubt all that, at least in North America, where massive chunks of the population are younger as creationists, the numbers are something like forty percent of Americans and twenty three percent of Canadians believing that God created people in their current form within the last ten thousand years. In raw numbers, that's about one hundred and forty six million people just in Canada and the United States that are on Calvin side in this debate. Despite overwhelming lack of evidence for creationism and the plethora of evidence for evolution.
Speaker 3: It's actually easy to see why so many people believe in the story of evolution today because state runs, school systems and media throughout the Western world teach it as fact. In science to impressionable children.
Speaker 2: Everywhere I know, right heaven forbid, facts and science are taught us facts and science to children. They might end up learning facts and science if we keep this up.
Speaker 3: However, this interpretation of everything is based on a philosophy called secular humanism, founded on atheistic principles.
Speaker 2: I would like to point out that the images using to drum up fear of North America being overrun with secularists are all AI generated, So clearly the problem must not be that bad if they need to use image generation to make fake pictures of the things that they're afraid of. Right, That's where I'm going to leave it for today. He just goes into some remode after this. Today's comment today comes just from Copprofish, who says, sorry, but given the environmental impact of gender of AI, I do not believe a video like this is ethically justifiable, leaving my first ever dislike and will not be watching this video. This was on my AI Jesus video from last week where I had a conversation with an AI Jesus chatbot and went over some of the very scummy business practices of the company that was offering the chatbot. And yes, the environmental impact of AI is massive. I'm not going to pretend otherwise, but there's two things here that I hope may change your perspective slightly. First is that the environmental impact of AI is in the same sort of category as the environmental impact of recycling. There seems to be a massive focus on individual responsibility rather than corporate or governmental response. AI uses a lot of resources, so you personally should never use it. Meanwhile, the bulk of AI use is massive corporations and government contract Your individual use is a minuscule drop in the ocean. Same with recycling. Yeah, recycling is better than not recycling, but wouldn't it be better still if we just didn't make so many things out of disposable, single use plastics. To begin with, AD campaigns promoting recycling were initially paid for buy oil companies, and they focus very much on personal responsibility. If you don't recycle enough, then a single tear will roll down the cheek of the Italian guy playing the Native American from that one ad. So instead of there being regulations restricting plastic use, it's on the end user to recycle responsibly in order to save the planet. It doesn't matter whether you or I personally use AI. It's already being used on a massive scale by massive entities that we can't hope to control or rain in without governmental action. But second, and possibly more importantly, it seems as though shaming people for using AI does not actually discourage AI use, but educating them about it does. The more you know about these AI bots and how they work, the less likely you are to use them, and when you do use them, the less likely you are to rely on them in problematic ways. If that is true, then videos going over some of the problems with AI without telling people that they should feel bad for using it are much more likely to result in less AI use overall than a video telling people that is destructive and you should never ever use it and you should feel bad if you ever have used it. Along those lines, I'm actually going to leave a link to a Doctor Fatama, a video that goes over this along with a bunch of other issues with AI, and gives advice on how to more effectively oppose it. It is a fairly long one, but it is very well done. I highly recommend it. Thanks for watching. I'll be back next Friday with more, But if you need to get your rutofis in before then. I live stream of service every Wednesday eight thirty Eastern on my other channel, A Watering Hole, and periodically published shorts on the channel Vice Rhino Shorts. Thanks to Piper for being my editor and special things is always to my patrons, who are the creationists who completely fabricate the evolutionary by all just quote. That is my channel. If you'd like to blatantly lie will claiming you believe that lies are never justifiable, you can join us on Patreon for as little as a dollar per week over at patreon dot com, slash Vice Rhino, or by supporting the channel and one of the other methods that can be found at link stop vitron dot com, which is also where you find links to my other projects. If for whatever reason you want to send me stuff, my piobox addresses in the description see and next time, who should need? Who's an EP puppy? Who's an EP puppy? And I've been sleeping like a dog? Okay, fine, you can stay there. Yeah you're sick of this? What if I get you a treat? Oh? Those ears perked up for that. Okay, I'll get you a treat. This is three oh one. I'm not gonna stop recording, but I have to go get the dog a treat for being such a good girl sitting with me while I record. I know she doesn't like