Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome to episode two hundred and twenty two of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with Dave park d back there producing in the Shadows, and our guest on today's show is Frank de Lesio. He spent twenty six years in the alcohol, tobacco and firearms, mostly doing a lot of undercover work doing infiltrations of motorcycle gangs. We're really excited to have Frank here today. So Frank, again, thank you for joining us tonight on a Friday evening. Really appreciate it. Man. I want to start off by just asking you the question we pretty much start all of our interviews with, is about your origin story. I'd like to ask you a little bit about, you know, your upbringing, how you grew up, and sort of how that took you towards the path to law enforcement.
Speaker 2: Well, I was born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio, born in nineteen sixty five, and that was at the height of when Youngstown was really rolling with the steel mills and everything. My dad was a police officer, was a police officer, we had firemen, so, you know, very ethnic town, melting pot you named ethnicity, and it was there. My family Italian Catholic, a lot of guilt loud at holidays, so you know, you know. So I went to Catholic schools most of my life. So that was challenging too because I was quite an experience, had a great time, but just a different experience than the public school kids had. Played football, that was my primary sport. I went to Ursula in high school, graduated from there, and I went down in West Virginia. I won't say I played on a team. I was on the team, but I made it one year and then it wasn't It wasn't going for me, so I went back and I told my dad I'm done. Of course, the disappointment, but I moved to Florida. My brother was living down there, so my buddy and I moved down to Florida. And after a couple of years and making three dollars and twenty five cents, it wasn't working out, so I said, I got to go back to school. Now. When I was at West Virginia as a forestry major, believe it or not, so I had no desire to go into law enforcement whatsoever. But when I went back, I started having conversations with my dad about law enforcement. So I ended up getting a criminal justice degree. I got out in three and a half years because I just wanted to get out of school. So when it started comes time to start applying for jobs, I applied to everybody, but ATF. I had no idea what ATF even was. Okay, So my dad, you got If you don't know anything about Youngstown, it's a it's a it's the it's the old Italian I know a guy, and I got a guy, because that's how it is. Right. So being Italian in Youngstown, you had as many friends, it might have relatives that were involved in some things. Right. I remember my grandmother had passed away and we were at the funeral and I'd only been hired like a week, and my dad says, hey, somebody wants to talk to you, and I'm like who, And it was Joey Naples. Now Joey Naples was ahead of the crime family in Youngstown. He goes, and I went over there. He goes, hey, I heard you got hired by ATAP. But I'm going, okay, the hell do you know that? Right? But it was very small community. So like in Youngstown, you know, you have people that went into firefighter, you know, they were policemen, public service, you know, working in the mills, the audo industry, US still republic, still cheating tube. They were huge then, right, So that was your path. But everybody everybody had a bookie, right, and so you were raised street smart, you learned. I mean, you hung out of places and everybody got along. Nobody said anything. I could tell you a story after story about that. I'll tell you what funny one after I got hired on the job. But so my dad goes, Hey, go down and see Freddie Kylitz and Wayne Lovin. Now Wayne was the rack the res an agent in charge in Youngstown, and Freddy was a friend of theirs. And these guys all hung out at the same bars. So and they were all revenue guys, right, this was back in the late eighties. So I go down there and they tell me about ATF and I'm like wow because ATF, which I again I didn't know anything, was very diverse. You know, we got alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives. Now, when it comes to the tobacco and alcohol, unless you're doing like moonshine, like thousand gallons and cigarettes transporting a thousand you know, tractor trailer atf for them, won't get involved in that. But it was at the height of you know, they talked about all the undercover they did when they were doing the revenue or that intrigued me, right, And this was at the height of when crack was just coming on the scene in the United States bad and about the guns and the violence, and that kind of intrigued me. So I took the tea exam and like most of my compadres who took it, passing was seventy. I failed at the first time by half a point, and I passed up by two points the next time. And come to find out, when I was at the academy, everybody's asking about what they scored. What they scored. I think we only had one guy out of twenty four at scored above an eighty. So I didn't feel too bad. Then I had it for like a big dumb ass. And then and then it started. I got assigned to Columbus and that was my first post, and off it went.
Speaker 1: So what was the funny story that you wanted to tell about getting the job?
Speaker 2: So I'd been on a job about six months, and uh so I go back to this bar called cyrax. It was on east side of Youngstown. And the one thing about the guys back then, Mike's Reki. Those guys never messed with drugs. It was all numbers, right, and it was all everybody hung out there. Cops hung out there, Cruft hung out there. But it was like a Switzerland neutral ground, right. But he ran Numbers out of there. Well he's dead now, so I can talk about that. And so one time I go in there. My dad was down there on a Saturday afternoon, and I go in there to, you know, just to have a drink with my dad. So we had pagers back then, right, So I get a page, and you could never just go into the back kitchen. You had to ask Mike, can I go back in and use the phone? And he said, sure, go ahead. Well, first he walked back there to make sure nobody was back there. So I walked back in here and I dial up the phone and I'm on the phone talking to my boss well income, and I can never remember the name of this guy. Incomes this guy, he's about eighty years old. All the tiny guy shuffling in with two grocery bags. And now they had a big butcher block table in the center right. So I'm watching him, and I'm watching him, and as I'm watching him, he starts stumping out all his cash. And as that's happening, on the phone and Mike walks in and I told him about Hey, I gotta go. I hang up, and Mike goes, Now, if you got to do something, you can do it. He goes, but before you do that, I got to talk to this dumb ass over here. He goes, Hey, do you know who that is? He goes, yeah, he goes, that's little Frankie Delicio. He goes, oh, he goes, you know what he's doing right now? He goes, isn't he in college? Mike goes, no, he fucking graduated. He goes, well, what is he doing? He goes, he works for fucking atf You idiot, the guy I thought was going to have a fucking stroke. I walked out of there, and my dad goes, where are you going to go? I gotta go. I'll talk to you later. And then that, I mean, that stuff happened all the time. I mean this because the Chunkstown I mean when I was growing up, when the car bombing wars were going on in Youngstown, so I hung around with this kid, Bobby Pogan right now. His dad was a connected guy, and so we would go watch Boom Boom Man Sene you fight great gold Gloves down in Strutt's at the Fieldhouse. Right now. I never knew anything about this, but it seemed kind of cool that they had like automatic car starters, you know, and anytime we would go, they would say, hey, we got to stop here to warm the car up. Well, that's when everybody was getting bombed, right, So his dad ended up going to going to jail, He got a shootout with the FBI. He went away for for some time. But you know, you just grew up and it was just a manner of people having guns to see you know, it was just you culturally, you know, you knew you were safe. But that's how we grew up in Youngstown. People, if you're from there, you understand.
Speaker 1: Right, right, and so but when you graduated from ATF training, they put you kind of back into your home turf.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, yeah, before that, they were well, we had guys that were in New York. They shipped them to LA. We had guys who were in LA. They shipped the New York for whatever you know, because that old adage, well you can't work in your own own hometown because you know that whole FBI think corruption right. Well, you know, so I ended up down at Columbus, Ohio, which was another shit show because atf used to have these things called punishment posts. So if you were an agent that wasn't performing or got in trouble, they would ship you to these different posts around the country. Well, Columbus was one of them. Before I got there, they had hired five new people in Columbus and they still had these three hanger honors and they eventually got rid of them. Tony Dindarti was a rack and he was brought in there for nothing else but to get rid of these guys. I showed up the first day on the job and the guy who was my training officer, John Lickey, German guy from from Chicago, that we were in a bay are sr desk were butted up to one another. I'm all full of piss and vinegar. I sit out at the desk and the other guys are watching him because I don't know John, but they know him, and he leans over his desk into my face and he goes atf is a vindictive outfit. They're gonna be out to get you. That was like five minutes on the job. A little did I know there was a lot of truth for that. But anyway, that was my opening DATF and it was like, holy crap. Well, so, you know, we had all new guys, and the relationship with ATF with the Columbus Police Department wasn't really that good because you know, they really didn't interact with them, especially in arctics. Well, like I said, we had a lot of young guys. You know, we went to the academy the old academys used to be because ATF was very thick in bringing a lot of state and local guys on because ATF is still one of the only federal agencies that doesn't require a college degree to come on. They'll exchange you know, work investigative work for your degree. So we had a lot of state and local guys that were coming on. You know, I didn't have any police experience. I was twenty four, but it was a good mix. And back then there was if you were like twenty eight or twenty nine, you were old. So they were bringing all these guys on and so we'd go through all our training where that's where I met one of my dearest friends, Dearren Kazlowski, who we kind of passed, went down the same way, and so we're going, you know, we're going to this training and you know, and you're learning everything. Well, then it comes to field ops, right, So field ops is the portion where okay, you're going to take all this stuff you learn and you're going to take it out into the practical exercises. Well, when I was there, the question okay, how many guys want to work undercover guys and girls, Like, if there were twenty four people, twenty two raised their hand and said, hey, I want to do it. Well, when I got was getting out of the academy, or when I was getting out of ATF in twenty fourteen, when I go down to instruct you were lucky to get two or three people to raise their hand because they're hiring different types of people, not worse people, but more professional people, you know, so different mindset. Right. So you know, I went through the academy, I ended up in Columbus. So as soon as I got there there there was four other guys and then we had our basically our training officer was one guy Don Mapley, who ended up becoming our boss. He took us all under his wing, and man, we just get informants and we would just start making buys. We used informants initially, then we would start rolling in to make crack buys this, and then we were just smashing door smashing door, smashing doors, right, So eventually we started stepping on the Columbus Police departments toes because we weren't deconflicting, so they were smashing our doors and we were smashing air doors. But the one thing to come out of that is they knew we wanted to work, so the relationship really grew. I mean, you know, it was a violent time in Columbus. There was a lot of uh, you know, street gangs, not like crips and bloods per se, but more like you know at hop street gangs that were controlling different areas. And then we had the Jamaicans, and then you had the Jaffakans. You had the you know, uh, the guys that were pretending to be Jamaicans that weren't and everybody believed because they had an accent, right, but those guys were shooting it up. It was it was pretty good. You know, and uh, so it was. It was a pretty wild time. But I'll tell you what. It's great training because you learn how to do everything. I mean, you were in the middle of everything. That's where we started getting our taste of undercover. And and we were running ops all the time. I mean there are days we were doing three four search warrants a day, just banging them down. We go make the buys and we go out and do that kind of stuff. So it was, it was, it was a great place to learn. And Don was a good guy because you know, he he he took the time to train us, train us properly any any and he shielded us from a lot, you know. And I was you had you had guys back then who were stand up dudes that would fight with uh with management. Now our sack. Bill Wood was an old revenue or guy, good guy. If he wore, if you worked, he loved you. He didn't hire anybody didn't play athletics at any level. And we come to find that out after we all got hired. We're talking. He goes, oh, if you didn't play any kind of athletics, he wouldn't hire you because he believed that you need no TeamWorks sacrifice, you know, because it was like, you know, Frank, when you come on, you're going to miss anniversaries, you might miss holidays. And I took that to heart, you know, and everybody that I know that came on it it's had a successful career in ATF. You did miss a lot of that, a lot of personal time you loss with your family. But you know that, you know, that's the conversation you have with your wife when you get married, and they accept it or they don't.
Speaker 1: Could you tell us a bit about I mean, was that the extent of your undercover training at that time? It was sort of OJT.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so ATF unlike other agencies because I worked a lot with FBI, HSI, de EA. They all have to go to an undercover school before they can work undercover. ATF. You go through the you know, the two week block at the academy. When you get out, you just have to raise your hand and say I want to work undercovered. If the rack or group supervisor feels you have the ability to do it, down the roads you go, now they're going to try to stick you with somebody who has been doing it or has experience and it's all OJT work. Now, we did have advanced undercover schools, but it wasn't requirement for you to go, So I never went to one. I've instructed at them, but because I was always involved in something, I got invited to go down and teach. But it was just I would say for the guys in ATF, ninety nine percent of what they they they learned, they learned OJT and on the streets and sometimes the hard way.
Speaker 3: You mentioned your relationship with the local PD, but you know ATF alcohol, tobacco, firearms, what you're doing, You're doing these drug warrants. How did how did you guys fit in with the DEA throughout your career? Did you was there a lot of cooperation? Did you step on each other's toes a lot?
Speaker 2: You know, to be brutally honest, because I'm gonna you know I we had you know, it's personality driven, Let's put it that way. You know, sometimes if the boss is good, your your agencies will click together because the guys will work good. If the bosses aren't good, or you got some agents that don't want to cooperate, Hey, ATF had a chair assholes like everybody else. You know what I mean, But you try to work with people, you find those few guys that you to get the job done, because that's what it's about. So, you know, I had friends with FBI, I had friends with DA, but most of the time, you know, they had their task forces and they were recruiting off of the you know, off of the local police departments. Well, us we went made our own ad hot task forces with the nark guys that we liked to. I mean, one of my dearest best friends in the world. He was fifty years old, as old as my dad when I came on. I did my first long term with him. He was getting out Tom Strasbaugh, I mean the stories, but you know so, but we were running and gunning and we you know, it wasn't They didn't give us the respect until we earned it, and we did earn their respect, and that's what we wanted to do to where we can get on equal park and we did with DEA, and we did with FBI. And some people you can work with and some people you can't. So you know, there wasn't such thing as deconflicting back then like the height as are now and where you deconflict some of your work so that there's not any blue on blue, uh, you know. But but that was always contentious because it was a need to know versus a right to know, and sometimes we didn't. We never deconflicted just because of the sensitivity of the case.
Speaker 1: Then law enforcement, what do they call that? Daxing, You've got a dax or decks.
Speaker 2: I've heard that.
Speaker 1: I've heard guys use the term to deconflict.
Speaker 2: Well, there's texts, uh the treasure. Well, basically height runs deconfliction. So what you do is so what you do is they have a they have a deconfliction center and other agencies represented. So if you have a target or an address, or you're going out to do a warrant or you have an investigation, you're supposed to send that in to them so that they can make sure that nobody else is either going to hit the same house or location and that there's no blue on blue situation. And you know, and if you're working the same target, this is where it gets tricky. If you identify the same target, then it becomes who has control of the target, And then that usually comes down to the US Attorney's office and who's investigraces with them, because sometimes agencies will get walled out of their own cases because somebody has a better asset. Now, you'd like to think people can work together and do it, and it does happen.
Speaker 3: So if you guys, and I don't know if this has ever happened to you, but when you guys have guys on like a deep cover and they're in with some serious hardcore players, right, some shitheads, and if you get rolled up by local PD or whatever because you're in this group of people and they're doing something nefarious, how do you how do you handle that?
Speaker 2: When you go to booking and stuff like that, you go to jail, I mean a lot of times. So the game has changed significantly on the long term. Infiltrations like guys like like the OG of All Law Motorcycle Gang infiltrations would have been Steve Martin with Langley and and Timmy Bunns and there was one other guy and his name's Escaping Me. They did the first which you would say modern infiltration of the Warlocks in Florida, and it was like, I need to know. There was no atf T even have OP plans back then, so it was like, hey, we're going to have to do something, and we're gonna do it, and we'll let you know how it goes. And if something bad happens, we'll call you. We won't because there wasn't all this oversight, which towards the end it was a ton oversight. So and that's where the case is. You know, if you got rolled up, we get stopped all the time. Right, So we had our identification. But you gotta understand, for atf for the stop them back in the late eighties early nineties, it was a collateral duty for one dude in the headquarters, right, and all he could do is maybe give you a social security number in a in a credit card, and they fucked that up right as a yeah, no, no, you could o good, you could yeah and uh. But but the problem was, you know because now mind you, there weren't even computers at this point in time, you know, and the cell phones were the brick phones and you had the old Motorola gray flip phone, right, so there wasn't a whole lot of technology. But the cops, right, they'd stop you, they'd run your license plate or they'd run your tag. All that stuff was covered, right, So you were good. You know, now, if you got caught with a gun, now, hopefully if you did have cover team out there you were work with me, they would flag those guys off so they didn't bother you. But we had we had our share guys that got arrested and went to jail, and then you got to deal with it after because then you know, the organization clubs were looking at you, the gangs looking at you, going Okay, what's happening now because.
Speaker 1: They have to maintain their cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so you might have to spend a night or two in jail. We've had guys have to spend a night or two in jail because you know, they want to do all the bonding out and everything. You have to get your own attorneys and you have to work with the judges on that to try to get that right so you're not spending time in jail. Right. So, but yeah, there was a lot of times that things would happen that our guys would get stopped and pull over, especially on runs you get checked out. But our backstopping got better, I mean it did over time. Like my stuff during that time, like in my first case in Columbus that went three and a half years and it was all self acquire other than those two things, right, So I had to call people that I know, trying to explain to them what I'm trying to do, and they're like looking at you with three eyes and you know, but it was all your own back stopping to cover your ass because you know, but they hired private investigators to check you out. So it was it was a lot different than it is now. You know, the guys are smart, you know, Federal Penn stay Pin, they're the best college educational world because they know how we do things. So they start thinking outside the box. Now you know how to try to catch us.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if you want to pick up that straight of thought or we.
Speaker 3: Actually i'd love to talk about before we even get into your personal story, I'd love to talk about the challenges of undercover work and for people who might not be familiar with like a cover, we talk about backstop. That means that you have a history. If you have an address and somebody goes to that address like that that there are backstops to your cover. When we talk about aged cover site, nobody has a credit. You know, if you get a brand new alias, that hasn't been aged. You have a credit rating of zero because you have a card that's never been used. You know, you don't have any kind of you know, uh, places where bills have ever been sent. And maybe back then it was harder to check that kind of stuff. Now though, I'm sure the gangs are much savviier when it comes to checking somebody out.
Speaker 2: How did how was.
Speaker 3: That undercover process for you when you infiltrated, when you started, and then how did it change through the years.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not going to get into the TTP, sure you know and all that, but what I can tell you is so when I got went into my first club, there was no check, right, it was based on my informant vouching for me, you know, them doing their own check scene where I lived, you know, just talking to me how I worked, what I did, Right, They did their own personal thing. But then when I went out to Las Vegas and was working a vagos, before you can get in, you had to fill out it was a one sheet application, right, ask you for a copy your driver's license, copy your social security card, where you lived and all that, and then you had to pay. And then they had a private investigator that was going to obtain some of your backstop like your birth certificate. You had to tell them where you were born and all that. And remember when I talked about self acquire, Well, the guy who gave me mine because we had we had a way to do, you know, for credit and stuff like that. You know, the thing is, it's no secret the bad guys know today because we've passed so many tests with them that we could take something digitally and make it appear as good as anybody else on paper. Right. It's the other things that are the challenges today. But however, so we had we had that, all those mechanisms, well not at that time in place. So one issue I had was so I filled out my application and something just didn't feel right to me. So I called a buddy of mine who had to use car lot, and I said, hey, run my social security number and tell me what you come back with. So he calls me ten minutes later and he's laughing, which is not good, and he says, hey, he goes, you got three people with that same social security number. I go, how to fucking after people? I go, it supposed to be issued to me only. So I make my call to headquarters our special co Operations division, and I talked to the young man who was in charge of the program and I said, hey, man, I got a problem with my social He goes, you can't. He goes, he goes, what number did I give you? And I gave him the number and their silence on the phone. Then I hear him go oh shit. I go, well, that's not good, dude. I go, already gave these guys my info. He goes, well, that was the number we used to test the system. I had a black mail hispanic mail in me, all with different credit histories floating around. Now, so that was one strike because then they start questioning me about that. Then the next strike was I had to acquire my own birth certificate. I had that all lined up right the day that this that the private investigator makes contact with the county. Guess what the guy had on board out sick he gets he gets called back to the to the private in vestcat and he goes, well, you know, it's a very good forgery, but it doesn't come back to that guy. So I'm under the hammer, getting hammered on all this because you know, but the thing is, greed is a beautiful thing, because they really wanted us in the club. So they were overlooking a lot of stuff because I had some shelf alasis, because we always had multiple and they got into this, why we're using this alien or why were we using that name and not this one? I said, because I don't know you motherfuckers, you know, and I'm not giving you my real shit. This is what I'm into. Anyway, they believe that we went down the road and you know, and then that case ended because the other agent who was working, Darren Keselowski cause who was working the case out and in Hollywood, got blown out of the water. They found out who he was. Uh, they still thought we were good, and I got a phone call talking about how they wanted to kill him. I wanted to kill him too, But anyway, so that sitting in real well. However, what it did prompt was the initiation of our undercover branch back in nineteen ninety eight, where they're like, we got to fix this, right. I had no desire to go into that undercover branch. I was pissed. I just wanted to go to another post. But I got yanked in and three other guys were there, and we actually started our branch and we got a good sponsor and then we start doing our own backstopping the proper way, and you know, and it morphed. But you know, every time we do an infiltration, like I said, over the course of forty years, I think we've probably done twenty. Not all of them were long, but there were some that went long, and we're damaging, right, So they all talk, you know, they had meetings, even the adversarial clubs will talk about how they were infiltrated. And I'll tell you it came down to the applications changed. When the guys were going into the black rain case out in California, the Mongols case, three of them had to get polygraphed. Okay, they had to pass that. That was another shit show because I was running a branch at that time, and you know what ATF's concern was, this is how fucked up this was. We're talking about three guys who are getting in. They got a pass the polygraph. If they're in, they're in, right. Their concern was if these guys learned how to beat the polygraph, Well, if they ever come under internal affairs investigation and they have to take polygraph, how we know they won't be that's the pennymess bullshit, right, Yeah, So they ended up all taking the polygraph from passing and then they all got in and in that case, as sister, they did a whole man. They took down that whole play was that's probably the single best investigation in ATF from start to finish. The outlaw case in Virginia was very similar, and the Pagan case up in Long Island where they actually went and they took out the leadership like the no shit national presidents, international presidents and you know, but go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, finish your thought, but I'd like to backtrack a little bit to your personal experience or your introduction into into that world. But please continue.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's just changed so much that these guys now, you know, they look at you and it's like, okay, they understand over the course of forty years that we could look at you all day long on paper, we know you're going to have a house. You know you're gonna have cars, you're gonna have motorcycles. We had guys that came to work with us just to verify we were working to take a look at how we worked, you know, security guys, you know, just to see what was going on. They come and look at your house looking for cameras, they do all that mess, right, well, you know, then they start thinking outside the box on what can they get you to do that cops would do, you know, Feds wouldn't do. You know, they don't worry about informants because although they can be damaging, they're looking for the you know, they're looking for the infiltrators, right, cops, law enforcement. So you know, so the game did change quite a bit towards the end. Guys, we're going through some pretty high hurdles to get in these clubs, and everybody thinks that we got in these clubs because we wanted to patch. It was never about the patch. You know, you can only go so far an investigation, right as a hangaround or an outsider, and sometimes that's good enough. You could do enough damage doing it that way, and it's better because getting a patch and deciding that I'm going to go in and probate a prospect, which could be from three months to a year. Right, you're at their beck and call, and it's hard to do business because everybody's watching you. So there has to be a real reason to get the patch, and that's so you can get on the inner sanctum and go further right, But that was never the goal. Everybody else say, you guys just want to get the pat. No, we don't know. That's the byproduct of the investigation, because then you really are owned by the club. You know, they watch you, they look at you, they see what you're doing. A lot of scrutiny. You know, a lot of those guys were right for the wrong reasons a choosing. You know, all the guys over the years of being cops, they just couldn't nail it down except for the one time, but other than that, you know.
Speaker 1: So walk us back a little bit to you know, you're a semi seasoned ATF agent. I take it at this point when you start doing the long term undercover work. No, but well, tell us about tell us about your entryway into that, into that line of work and how that came about.
Speaker 2: So when I was young, you know, I liked ride motorcycles and mini bikes and all that stuff. Right. So my one of the agents in the office, Rodney Russell, he had an informant who he did a big drug reco case on a bunch of black gang members, but this dude was white. But he also had ties to a lot of the biker clubs. Right, so I'm talking to Rod. Rod goes, hey, he's got some hooks into some of these clubs. He goes, would you be interested? And I'm like, well, shit, I like to ride motorcycles, but you know, I've never been around like club life. I didn't know really what that was about. So that's when I start calling Steve Martin and saying, Steve, Now he's in the middle of his investigation with the Warlocks. I'm trying to get educated on how should I act, what should I what should I ask? You know? What? You know? How do I not piss these people off? So he's educating me. Right, So I've been going through a couple of bars in the area, just kind of getting and I didn't even have motorcycle. So my good friend Tom Strasbaal, who was on the Vice squad at the time, he had a motorcycle. So I had to go borrow his motorcycle to go start riding with these guys, and he was very gracious with that. So so so I'm riding motorcycle. So I get invited to a part Well, the CI gets invited to a party at this club called the Road Saints on the south side of Columbus. He goes, come on, he goes, this would be a great place for you to meet. He goes, the Avengers will be there. He goes, there might be some outlaws. He goes, there'll be some Road Saints. He goes, this a good place to get FaceTime. I go, I'm in now, I'm old. Was I that twenty? I've been on a job like three years, three and a half years, So this is like try by fire. So the CI shows up himself because he don't have a bike. He's there in a car. So I roll up on my motorcycle. There's a lot of people there, and you know, hey, how you doing? How you doing? An hour into the party, Columbus Police Department and Liquor Control come and raid the house, and I'm shit in my pan. So I take my gun because I don't want to I don't want to go to jail, right, So I throw my gun under the house. I'm getting rid of anything that can be construed as a weapon because we normally carried more than, you know, one gun. And so the police are patting down their ida and everybody, you know. And luckily, because I had been running out on the streets of you know, if Columbus told stuff that there weren't there wasn't anybody there that recognized me. Okay, So party breaks up. I go back to the bar the next day to see what's going on. I sit down at the bar. I'm having a sandwich and a beer. Two Avengers walking, two road Saints walking. They pulled me out. Now I'm I'm on a small guy by any stretch of the imagine it. In fact, I was. I was bigger back then, you know. And they pulled me out and they put me up on a wall at gunpoint and go who the fuck are you? And I'm like, what do you mean? Who am I? I go, I'm Tony, Tony Franco, that was my name, and they go, no, who are you? I go, I don't know what is So this went back and forth for a half hour on Hey, I was the new face that showed up the house got raided. Who are you are you? With? Ohio BCEI where I don't know where they came out of that, And it was like so for like I was getting hammered for like, you know, half hour guns. Well, eventually, I think because I was young and I was able to talk, you know, just talk. I had a good gift of gab. They're like all right, but it was like, you know, we're gonna be watching you kind of deal. So that was kind of discouraging. So so yeah, a little scary. So you know, so things kept on and I kept going around and then the stroke of luck for me. Now, at this time, I started pulling my buddy Tom Strasbaus start coming around and he was an art Now we had to be real careful because that guy had been a homicide and ardvice, so we had to kind of limit his exposure. But one of the best mentors I could have ever had in my life. So he taught me a ton and so we're sitting there and I started pulling him in. Well about a year into this, right, we've been buying LSD. We've been buying all kinds of stuff off the peripheral, the edges and a few club members from the Avengers. Well, I call it my friend now, my informant. I've known the guy for thirty plus years. Right, didn't have any criminal history. He had done a case down in New Orleans. Okay, so Easy Rider, if you're familiar with like Easy Rider magazine, Well, they used to do like rallies around the country, and Columbus was a big one, and they actually opened up a motorcycle shop in Columbus, and my informant and his best friend they ended up going to work there. Well, I got a call from an agent down in New Orleans and said, hey, I need you to do me a favor. We got to pay Tony some reward money for the case he did. He goes, do mine, going and seeing him and I'll send it up. I go, you know, we'll blend. So we stop at the Easy Rider shop, Tom and I and it had just opened and we walk in. Now his best friend who is now to see Stump, who we didn't know. We go, hey, we're looking for Tony and he's looking at us. Now. You know, I had at that time had real long hair, you know, and Tom looked like a bucket of shit too. We rolled in on motorcycles and he's like, he goes, well, hold on, and I see him take off up these stairs. So Tom and I follow him and we get up there and there's Tony's standing there and Stump and they're like grabbing shit to start beating the hell out of us. They're like whoa, whoa, whoa. We're like, what are you doing? They go, who are you guys? I said, David sent me, which was his control agent down and it was like everything, you know, kind of kind of softened out. And then within talking to Tony, you know, he knew that whole crowd because he used to be in a club called the Outright, the Outriders. It was there a long time ago that had become the Brothers, and we just start talking. He goes, Man, he goes, I get right back in with those guys. If you want, he goes, I'll work for you. And then it was like boom. We were off to the races. And for like the next two years, Man, we were running between Ohio, Michigan, Indiana. We were running everywhere. You know, uh, make buys, we dealt with, We dealt with just about everybody. You know. Uh. We had we had our share issues, but it was a different time because you know, I would tell my boss, Hey, I'm leaving Columbus, I'm going to Acor and then I'm gonna go up to the Muskegan in a couple other places a long way. I'll be gone for a week. Okay, just make sure you have contact with an agent and uh let him know if you buy anything. Just make sure you're passing off. That was our coverage. Yeah, so that was it.
Speaker 3: How if you guys, If you guys, I'm assuming you weren't necessarily patched at this time with any particular club. How did you guys get bona fides with these clubs?
Speaker 2: Not belonging to anybody in particular, you're just kind of like independent.
Speaker 1: You were one of the hangarounds as they say, right.
Speaker 2: Well, not for those clubs. We're more like independence. Yeah, so we you know, we were around, we were doing business, Tony like for the Brothers. Tony was friends with those guys. So that was the way in the issues we had. Now the other they had a couple other chapters, but they had the only other chapter Brothers they had was up an Akron and then it was the guys up in Michigan. Now the Guys an Akron. They were old school, hard ass on of bitches man, and they really didn't have an affiliation with any major club because most smaller clubs will you know, because they have, dude, They didn't. The Hell's Angels got along with them. They didn't get now, the brothers along with the breed at all. There were plenty of times when we went up there, we'd go hunt for them guys, you know, but but the Hell's Angels left them alone because they did their own thing. You know, they're a violent crew, but nobody really messed with them. They did, you know, for a long time. You know, they did their own dope, guns, grenades, whatever you wanted you can get from those guys. So so we eventually Tony, you know, we talked about getting back into the club, and then Tony got back in. Now, the guy who was the president of the club, his name was wamp he was you know. So let me explain. When we go into clubs, if they're in disarray, we generally go in and make the club better. We organize the crime better for them, if that makes sense that you know, they're all over the board, so we go in there and organize the crime so they're more profitable and more streamlined to make money. And they always like that about it. Most of our guys that ever went into a club within either going from a probate or a prospect usually went to an officer position right away, whether it was sergeant in arms or a treasurer or a vice president or even president. Because we were smart, but we had to be careful. We didn't want to be seem too smart, like we knew too much, because we never wanted to say we were coming for another club because and then they could check that, right, So we just had to be good criminals, and we had to offer, bring something to the table. And you know, when you go in as a young guy, what do you got to offer. I mean, you're a new guy coming in, right, so you're expected to be a little bit more rowdy, you know, maybe fight a little more, maybe drink a little harder. The drugs were a whole different issue, you know, with that if you guys wanted the whole simulation, you know, deception with an ATF became a big to do because you know, guys learned how to appear to be doing drugs but not and we got drug tested and nobody ever popped pausive, you know, and but we had to make it appear. Now, the older you got in those clubs, it was easier to fade that off because it's like Hey, I had a problem a long time ago. I don't fuck around. You know, if you're still dealing at the level you were when you were twenty five and you're now forty, something's wrong with you. Your bad crook, right, So you should have something about you and your game. You should be able to throw some money around and look like you know, it's all smoking mirrors, you know, make them believe what you want them to believe about your business. Yeah, how do you guys.
Speaker 3: Like avoid if you go in and you organize the club so they do crime better?
Speaker 2: How do you avoid it?
Speaker 3: Like the sort of the entrapment angle that a defense attorney's going to bring.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we don't tell them how to do a crime, don't. We don't direct the crime. Right, they're talking about how they're moving their drugs, and they're talking to us about how they're doing it. And you know, so we have this thing, you know, it's out there street theater where we do blue on blue deals that make the bad guys look like we're doing actual deals, but it's actually with cops, right or other law enforcement, and they see all you're legit because and we'll bring them along as bodyguards will pay them and all that kind of stuff, you know, but we don't direct the crime, Paul. We'll do is we'll go in there, and we'll go in there and we'll say, well, how do you guys do it? It's like, well, you know, and we'll get into you know, how much they're selling, where they're selling, who they're selling to. You know, there were a lot of times in these clubs, so you know, it's like anything else. You spent a couple of years with people, You're going to get relationships. You're gonna find people we actually like. You know, there are only as a good as Tom Wance told me, he goes, there's only a few people in this world that don't have any redeeming qualities. And we came across a few of them. But most of these guys are likable or so the girls. I mean, you know, they're crooks, they could be assholes, but most of them are. Then you got the others that are just in these gangs, in these clubs because they want to be a part of something feel special, right, I can't tell I could tell you probably every guy that's done an infiltration and tell you they had somebody or a couple of people in the club. We I had at least three that would come up and say, hey, we want to get in the game. No, you know, why do you want to get in the game. I need to make money for my family. This isn't the way, dude. You know, if you get caught, you're going to prison. Yeah. And some of those guys you would make see the light and you could steer them, and then some were so held bent on it it was like, all right, dude, you want in a game, this is what we need, go find it. And then you know, you're saying, you know, you try to give them some consideration on the back side out but they but they go to prison, right because they don't want to listen. You know, you can't just say, hey, I'm a cop, don't do this, right, but you kind of steer them away that it's not the right thing for you to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Frank, for for people, the uninitiated people, most people are not going to be nearly as initiated as you were. Could you explain a little bit about what an outlaw motorcycle club is like, what that culture is like, the old ladies, the three piece patch, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, you know, so that Outlaw Motorcycle Club is generally distinguished by a three piece patch, which means you have the top rocker, you have the bottom rocker, and you have the center patch. And the center patch is usually going to be the mascot. Right, So let's just take the Outlaws, we'll say, right, So the top of it, we'll say Outlaws. The center patch is the skull and cross pistons, which they refer to as the Charlie, okay, and then the bottom used to be city designators now some of the old chapters and in most clubs they'll still have a city designator, but now they've all gone to states for the most part, you know that they own the state, and then they'll be the MC, the motorcycle club, right, so, you know. And then on the front they'll usually have various other patches and memory patches, and they're stages. So you start as to hang around and that could be as long as they want to get to know you, right, and it's changed dramatically, and then you go through a prospect phase. Prospect probate are interchangeable depending on the club you're in, right, and that period could be from three months, it could be up to a year, okay, Hell's Angels have have the longest that. You're generally a year. Everybody else folds in there somewhere, right, And then while you're prospecting and probate, you pretty much are owned by the club. So you got a sponsor, somebody sponsors you. You have to get you have to get voted to even be allowed to prospect probate, okay. So then once they say okay, then you're responsible to the club. People call you. You got to do all the bullshit. You got to watch the bikes, you got to clean the house. You know. We had guys that were digging trenches for their bosses, their yard work, I mean whatever. They're not supposed to do that kind of stuff. But pretty much, you're there, bitch, until you get voted in, and the vote has to be unanimous or if one guy says no, you're out. So, and when it was originally used to be to the charter, to the chapter right, charter is pretty much what the Hell's Angels call it. Everybody else is a chapter right. Some people say charter, but mostly it sells angels to use that. And so you come up for vote right, they vote you in and then you get your full patch, which means in their phase. It's like a lot of clubs will have like if when you're a probate or probationary, you'll have a patch that says probate or probate probationary member of the club. Sometimes they'll give you the bottom rocker, just the bottom rocker and the MC. Sometimes they give you the bottom rocker and the top rocker sometimes, and then you progressively earn your patch until you get the center patch. Then they have probationary members guys that they bring in as full patches. You get a full patch right out of the gate, but then you'll have like a P or something that says you're a probationary member, which means you're a full patch, you have all the rights, but you're still on probation for a year. So they do that in special cases when they want to bring guys in, they think bring something to the table. So it used to be like there was a tree on how this went. That's a shrub. Everybody kind of does their own thing on how they bring guys in, you know, And it used to be where the chapter charter would vote for you, like if you had eight guys in there, those eight guys would vote. Now a lot of time it goes to a national vote, like you know, because now they send pictures. Does anybody know this guy? They send pictures into the prisons. They do their real due diligence on you to make sure that nobody knows you as a component informant before they bring it in because they've been stung so many times. I mean some of these clubs been stung two three times by ETF.
Speaker 1: And the drug I mean, correct me if I'm wrong that the drugs, explosives, prostitution. I mean they tend to be involved in a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're going to have obviously, you got the felons with the guns. There's a lot of extortion. There's you know, a lot of home invasion, you know, a lot of drug dealer, you know, gun running, a lot of explosives you can purchase. I mean, it's pretty much everything. They got their hand in prostitution. You know the thing about motorcycle clubs, it's like, you know, if you're not involved in that game, they're ghosts to you. People They might notice a motorcycle going down the road, right, but they don't notice the club because they stay to their own element unless there's a reason to come out of that element, because that's where their power and fear is. So you know, like take my mom, Oh I thowt a Hell's Angels rolling down going down the road the other day. No, Mom, no you didn't. I go, what did the thing on the back look like? She goes, it was like a big pig. I go, Well, that's not a Hell's Angel, mom, you know, but that's what everybody knows, you know. So everybody's a Hell's Angel. Everybody's an outlaw motorcycle game member. They want as a little do with the public as they want the public to do with them for the most part, other than trying to show a good posture like the toys for Tots and all that stuff that they try to do. But no, I mean so the people are oblivious to them unless you live in that world. I mean still today, I ride down the road pack a bicca by I'm looking over my shoulder to see who they are, just because I you know, that doesn't leave you right. Yeah. So, but people, if you don't live in that world. But it's a violent world. It's a very violent world. I mean women, you know there, you know, there's property of women. Now, either you belong to the club or you belong to a member. If you belong to a member, she hands off. If she belongs to the club, it's game on right to you know, and they serve at the beck and call women have. You know, it's you know, the club, the bike, and the women. Now a lot of guys won't tell their women that because they're afraid of them. But that's really how it goes, you know what I mean, women are the that's the least concern on what's going on with those guys. Most of those guys, you know, it's the club first, because in the end, it's all about loyalty. Loyalty to the club. That's what it all. That's what it all comes down to. In that patch.
Speaker 1: And that first and filtration out of Columbus where you guys were running around doing cross state buys and everything. I mean, how how deep did you end up going on that one?
Speaker 2: Well, I had my patch for about a year and a half. In that one, I became the sergeant at arms, by informant became the president, and I mean we that was you know, the Brothers. It wasn't a big club, however, it offered a lot, so we seized the the Outlall clubhouse. There was another, a black one percenter club, true one percenter club called the Fantoms. They were based out of Chicago. They had a clubhouse in Columbus. We had another informant who was the only white member of that club. He was married to black girl, and he brought us in and we had stars and bars on our stuff and they didn't care because it was about business. I'll tell you a funny story about those guys. So they loved us. They just loved us so and we met them before we even got in the club because he was running while our other informant was running. So you had the Avengers, you had the road Saints, Like I said, the Outlaws. I mean we ended up season like six or seven clubhouse. We put like one hundred and thirty people in jail. It was a lot of dope, a lot of guns. It was crazy. But it's one of those things where it wasn't We weren't focused on one club. I mean, we were in the Brothers and we were focused on those guys, but we used it as a catapult to get in because the Outlaws were recruiting us hard to jump over there, and we're like no, because we didn't want to go. We we got a good thing going in that club because we could write our own ticket. We went, Tony and I went wherever we wanted to go at any point in time, and the club didn't ask us any questions. Where if we were in a big club like the Outlaws, people be watching you. There's you know, they have mandatory runs, they have all this Southern baloney. You got to you got to do to be in the club. So we were in a good spot there, but we were able to, you know, get into a good position with a lot of these clubs to they arrest a lot of people.
Speaker 1: And when did that or what was that decision point when I assume the US attorney is like, Okay, this investigation's over. Now we're moving in and making arrests.
Speaker 2: It's never the US attorney's decision, and it's always ATF's decision. Okay, And ATF's decision is, well, you guys have been running a long time now. At this point, we had just made another move into another club up in Michigan, which was going to be really good for us, but it was like, Okay, you guys been in a long time, three and a half years doing this, It's time to take it down. We weren't ready to come out, but you're going to do what you gotta do. Because we also got involved in this big cocaine distribution ring where they were bringing cocaine off the coast of Florida in Marathon and they were running it up to Severeville in Tennessee and then they were bringing it up through Columbus and up and then the North. But we ended up tying into this young kid who we were buying off of and he laid out the whole operation, which enabled the Columbus Police Department de EA to go up on a wire a Title three and they're like, hey, we got to take this down. So that was another catalyst that kind of drove our case because they were going to take it down and we would have been outed, you know. So wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fascinating, like when you're because motorcycle gangs, but like so much of crime, right, we think of the mafia, we think of motorcycle with the gangs, we think of street gangs, but they are all partially tied together when it comes to in terms of like spreading drugs, like like a certain element might own a piece of it. But but they're all somehow a lot of times interwoven.
Speaker 2: Well. Traditionally, Hell's Angels and especially the Outlaws and Pagans have all done work for tradition l C. You know, they were their muscle, you know, uh, you know it just historically it's there. You know, They've always played a role in that, you know, in the traditional you know, mafia type of deal doing, whether they were moving product or whatever. That's that's always been around. I don't know so much now that it is in the United States because there's really not that much. You know, from what you see, it's more Armenian, Russian and everything else that's controlling the underground more so than the Italians. But you know, I could be one hundred percent wrong on that. I don't know. But the clubs are still involved in what you're seeing more now is the traditional white clubs, right, the motorcycle gangs, because there are you know, the traditional Ala motorcycle gangs you know are white and Hispanic, right, they don't allow the blacks in. If they do, it's an anomaly, right, Like a lot of clubs, like the bigger clubs can't have them, just can't. They're not accepted. But then you have one percent of black clubs like Thunderguard, you know, outcasts clubs like that violent all are they violent? And they kind of pair up with some of the traditional omgs and they're doing a lot of business together now because you know, they're all it's all about controlling turf and whatnot. In the old ways of where you know you had, it was very delineated on what clubs were where. Now it's not. They've all crossed over. And that's why you're seeing more shootings, more violence happening, because it's just there's no more lines of delineation. Everybody's starting still fighting for their turf.
Speaker 1: Interesting, so that one winds down and then as a as an undercover officer, I mean, I presumably you have to appear in court right as an ATF agent and testify yes, And I mean does that I'm just curious, like, doesn't that totally blow your cover as an undercover officer, like indefinitely? I mean in your case, it didn't, but I mean I'm curious how that works.
Speaker 2: Well, so I'll tell you. So most guys that I know that have done these cases, and in ATF there's like ten or twelve guys that have done these cases, and some have done multiple. Right. So when you're in those clubs for that long and you're ron those guys, you form allegiances. And I'm telling you, the night before the takedowns go down, and I've had conversations with all my buddies, it's like, man, I want to call this one dude and just tell them to run, you know, because then the Judas effect comes in, right, because it's twofold. The Judas effect comes in because it's there. Right. These guys were guys that are on a street, something happened, they had your back, they'd kill they fight for you without question, right, So you had that. Then the other side of it is is, Okay, I've been this dude for like two years, three years. I knew what I was doing all the time. Now this is going to be over and I have to reintegrate back into the normal agent. Right, So you're thinking about that kind of stuff. So you know, when you look at how these things in and then I can tell you this much every case that I've worked or I've helped work, and you know, a lot of times they'll bring guys into dune these cases when they have takedown to come interview certain people to try to move them along to cooperate what our cases were done. And we had hard heads that didn't want to cooperate. The day they were taken down, we'd walk in the room and they would look at you and go sign up a bitch, you know, and some of them would be, hey, we understand it was a job and they get it, and or others didn't give a shit. You know. One of the biggest things they get wrapped around on. You know, because when you're talking to these guys, you're bringing in about ninety percent of your true life, just changing names, and you know, and if things happen and you tell them stories, they you know where there might evoken emotion out of them. They want to know, did you lie about that? Yeah? Was that real? Yeah? Because if you lied about that, Daniel, real asshole? But okay, because they just want to see how far you would go. Sometimes you straight out live about some things. But you know, but but it was a very unique dynamic. I mean every case that I did, you meet those guys and it's like, man, you know, in another world we might have been able to be friends, right, But then again, if they knew who I really was, would they really be friendly with me and treat me the way they treat me? Right? Right? You know?
Speaker 3: But if you weren't, if you weren't atf and they weren't you know, in an outlaw bike gang, had you met that are completely different?
Speaker 2: Two different people like that.
Speaker 3: This was somebody And you know, it's interesting because when we talked to like c I a case officers, a lot of times they'll say sort of similar things that you know that the people they work with, you know, the their agents or you know, the people, like they developed a report form with them, and this person might be a shithead doing shithead things. But it's like when you get to know somebody as a human being, if they're not just all shithead like, there's there are elements.
Speaker 2: There's Yeah, we had we had this one guy when I was doing the Brother's cases. Name was Doc and talk. He was a drug dealer, but you know he went a violent guy. I mean, he was a likable, real likable guy, you know, And there were certain members who would get together because it's very clubs are very cliquish, you know, they just are. And U he called up one day his son was a drug dealer too, and somebody went up on his to his to his son's house and shot him forty seven times with an ak right, And of course, you know his dad, who could be violent. I mean, he wanted to go start kidnapping people because it was his son was involved with some black gangsters, and he was just ready to start smoking everybody, you know. I mean, we felt really bad for him, and we're trying to talk him off the ledge, which we did because you know, we did have genuine concern. We could have said, yeah, well go screw yourself and go do whatever you want. Doc, We're not getting involved in that, and he'd probably got himself killed, you know. Yeah. In fact, he liked me so much. After he had he had a lot of medical problems. We helped him out because he had backhand. He after we we arrested him. Within a year he was dead, but Tom Strausbon and I went over to visit him after he got I went to his house. He actually got a dog and he named it after my undercover name, So I guess I got that going for me. Yeah, so no, you do form those bonds.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After that initial case was prosecuted, I mean, then what kind of I mean, now you have a ton of experience in this world. I mean, how did the segue into the next infiltration happen?
Speaker 2: So a part of the case that we were dueling in Columbus took us out to Las Vegas and we were dealing with some guys out there, some some Mexicans out there, and we were buying meth. We were buying pounds of meth and bringing it back. So so there were some threats made and you know atf they're just terrible. You know, somebody makes a threat and the first thing is they want to move you. Right, I'm like, why don't you go? So let me back up and tell you a quick story. Sure, you guys will appreciate this. How times have changed. We had an agent in Cincinnati. He was investigating the Iron Horsemen, okay, and they tried to run him down with a car while he was on the street. Now, the sack at the time was Bill Wood, an ornary man. And you know he's a quarterback at South Carolina. He is a revenue. He calls up my boss in Columbus and he says, I want Frank and I want Dan. He goes, you send him the Columbus and he's gonna meet some boys there. He goes, and you're gonna go have a talk with the president of that club and you're gonna tell him what's what. And we did. He sent us down. There are four of us, went with one of the one of the agents from Cincinnati. Knocked on the door to check the president come out and he goes, gonna help. He goes and he laid it out. He goes, you guys fucked up. He goes, we're gonna find out who did it, and then we're gonna fuck with your club every step of the way until you guys turn in who did it. Within twenty four hours, they turned the guy over. That's how you handle business. It's not like you said. They're shee your nails. They knew again. Crooks don't Crooks don't respect. Excuse me, sir, how are you doing today? They power fear might. That's what they respect. If they don't fear you, they're not going to do anything you say. They're not going to come around. They're not going to talk to you because they're going to look at you like you're a big puss, you know. So that ended that. I mean they turned a guy in. Well, ATF didn't do that. In my case, it was like, Frank, there's four offices that are open and three of them were shipped and Las Vegas was the only one. And my wife awesome. She was always willing to work. And I I, you know, I had a conversation with her before we you know, we got married, and it was like, look, because we got married during my case and I owned that case. Yeah, I was, and I and I told her, I said, you know, this is what I do, this is what I like to do. And she liked to move. So when I asked her, I said, how about Las Vegas? She goes, let's go, because I knew the boss out there, and I'd already been out there, and I knew the work was good. Plus they had just started an investigation because they called me and knew I was getting transferred. They were starting a case into the vogos who were recruiting real heavily out there at the time. So we packed up and we moved, and as soon as we got there, it was like Okay, vogos are recruiting. So I brought my informant, Tony out to Las Vegas with us, and went out with me and my wife. He lived in it. We got a house and he was living in here, and that's where I was living and with Stump. And so they said, just go to this tattoo shop. And this guy, Sharky, who is a vogo, he goes, he'll recruit you guys right in. Did you guys are big dudes? He'll ask you right in. So I didn't know how good the tattoo shop was. So the informant was going to get the tattoo because we needed a couple hours just to fill these guys out. So I said, Tony, I'll pay for it, get whatever you want. It was a terrible tattoo, however, or sitting it was. It was so bad. It was so bad. But about halfway through the tattoo, Sharky comes out with his colors, and of course we're playing stupid because we can't act like we know anything about club life. He goes, do you guys know what these are? And he held up a set of colors of the vagos and we're like, no, what's that? He goes to the Bogos he goes, you never heard of us, going no, dude, we're from back, We're back East. We know who you guys are. So he goes into this hole s field. He goes because we rode there on motorcycles and he goes, uh, he goes, why don't you guys come around? It was this is how easy was. He goes, why don't you guys come around. We're having a meeting like three days from now. Now are in Adu. Shit, And that's how easy that was getting invited in over there. Then that case again, you know, with the whole backstopping issues you know, started to you know, at first it was good because we were there and I think that case went in total like eighteen months. But you know, we were getting good. We were buying off of people, you know who we bought off of, which you guys will find funny, you know, Yeah, what's in it that that show? Yeah, I bought off of the we bought off of Joe Henderson. I used to go in that shop all the time because all the time and buy dope. Yeah, so we said, because it was only like a two blocks down from the a TF office. Flavored or not. I mean, it's just the the shop. They make him look huge. It was this little box, but we used to go in there, my dope all the time. We put him in prison for a few years. But anyway, long story short, So we're going around you know now, Yeah, tramp Terry, who was the national president at the time, he took a liking to the informant and eye. He took a real liking to us. And at the same time, we were trying to get into uh uh Vegas, Darren because Lawski was trying to get into the Hollywood chapter. So we were making our in roads. Now, the thing is is that we would know him because we we were getting a little bit more credibility on our end, so we were going to help him move along. So I think I can't. I don't know how long into his investigation he was in, but he had an informant got t bone on a motorcycle and got killed. But Darren had given him his card from when he was back in Milwaukee or it was long. It was a long yeah, I think it was a Milwaukee card. But anyway, so that kind of dies off and Darren's working through his thing over there. We're working through our thing in Las Vegas, and we're cut through. Foreman and I are constantly traversing back and forth between Las Vegas and more so than even the club is right, and we're getting to know all these guys. Well, we come up and we're gonna you know, now, they're going to allow us the prospect, right. So, so there was some stuff that happened. So they had this run up in Reno and the Vogos were trying to make a statement up there, right, So they were going to go at it with the Hell's Angels. So again we go up there. They have us towed all their guns up there. They informing an eye, so we bring all the guns up. So they have this master plan that they're going to go to this Hell's Angels bar and I can't remember the name of it to save my life. And what they're going to do is they're going to wait for the Hell's Angels to come up the Reno chapter and when they come in there, what they're gonna do is they're going to push him out the back and they're going to beat the live and hell out. That's the plan. Well, we're having this meeting as a club and there's me and Tony, who aren't we're not even prospects at this point in time. They hand him a bat, me a hammer, and two other guys and they say get behind the bar, and they go, well, we flush these dudes out. It's your job to beat the hell out of them. Holy shit, And of course I'm looking at Tony. We're just you know, you can do nothing but laugh, right, we're chuckling. And so we go stand back there and we're just praying at God that something happens that we don't have to do this because it's going to turn in we don't know. Yeah, So we're in We're out there for about a half hour and then I'll come a couple of vogos come out and they say, hey, okay, everything's good. They've had some negotiations and there we're good to go. We're like, okay, so that broke that, which was awesome, right that, you know, but the stress was was tremendous. And so we go back and now they're going to have a they're going to have a national meeting and it was happening in Las Vegas. So this is where we're going to start prospecting. Me my informant and cause so we all start prospecting on the same day. But you get brought up like so there was probably one hundred members there, one hundred two hundred members. You come into I think we're at the VFW hall. You go in there and they bring you up on a stage and they start and they're like, you know, are you willing to die for the club? Are you willing to fight for you really to do all this stuff? Right? You're like, yeah, you know, yeah, I'll do whatever I got to do. Then they asked, is there anybody in here who's got anything negative to say about these brothers or why they shouldn't get into the club. And because we did what we did up in Reno, which wasn't anything but just stand there and tear, they were all these brothers are down, they stood up for the club and blah blah blah blah blah, you know all this mess and uh so we ended up getting our prospect Rockers, right. So we were prospecting for about three months now. There were times like like stupid stuff. Yeah, you know, one thing to bother guys like us, are are some of these cop clubs out there that want to affiliate with clubs, and then and then and then a lot of the military clubs because we recruit out of the military hard, right. We were the thing. And we were at a we were an event in uh when we were with Vogos where I can't remember if it was the Choir Boys or what cop club it was, but we were sitting there with some of these with with some of them and a couple other clubs, and these guys were pointing out their own undercover guys that were in the crowd, like that guy over there that we're not going You guys are pieces of shit, Yeah, you know, And that's like. And then we were at we were at some function in Las Vegas and this guy Jack Roberts, he was an old school Las Vegas cop, big irishman, hands the size of my head, and he would talk about getting fights with the mafia dudes all the time. They would go to the bars just to get fights. He's just just a great guy, right, And so he was the only guy that was like covering me him. He and Randy Props was another agent in the office. They're really the only guys that knew was going on. So these guys contact Jack Robins from the Henderson Police Department, and they say, hey, we're gonn go out there and cover this event. And Jack goes, well, hey, dude, if you're going, go overt, because if you go overt, they won't mess with you. You know what I mean. They you're taking pictures. They expect that these two dudes show up. Man, they're taking pictures. They're trying to dress like they're they're blended. And of course, of course Tony and I are the prospects, right and CJ, who is our president, comes over and he goes, hey, go find out who those guys are. And I'm looking and I know because I know their pops, because they couldn't get anything else. And Jack said there might be two guys out there floating around. I'm going and I'm looking at Tony. So we walk over there and okay, we got to do we gotta do. I'm like, you know, we had guns. I had gone Tony, they haven't gun. I had gun. And I walk over there and I'm like, hey, man, give me who are you And they're like, oh no, man, I said, give me a driver's license. I'm like, fuck you guys, go give me a driver's license. So they're looking, I go, you better give me a driver's license. It'd be a problem. So they hand us over their driver's license right now. There they weren't they weren't there true name licenses, right, And then I was told we had to take their cameras. So we took their cameras and we smashed them right. And at this point, now the club has come in and circled them, and it's like, well, it's out of our hands. I go, if they're gonna beat them, they're gonna beat them right now. So at this point, CJ is the voice and he's telling them get the fuck out of here, blah blah blah blah blah blah. So they start walking back to their car, and of course CJ tells Tony and I again follow them back to their car and get their license plate. Now Jack is off on the side watching this, and I'm assuming these guys got guns. They have no idea who we are. Yeah, so we're kind of like followed them, half stepping, waiting for them, and Jack is watching because he didn't know what they're gonna do either. They're gonna pull their guns and start shooting, right. So this is the slow walk of about twenty five yards in his car. Well, we end up getting to the car and they get in, we get the license plate stuff. You noticed dumb sons of bitches drove their personal car, you know. I mean it doesn't sound like you know, they are not heroics and people are like, oh, you know, like the movies. It's things like that though, when it's happening and you're sitting there and you don't know if you're gonna get shot by you know, other police officers because of who they believe you are, and you're getting ordered to do things. There's a lot of times in these in these investigations, your chapter p or whoever president or whoever they tell you to do things, you don't say, well, why right, do it? You know. It's so there's there was a lot of that. I mean when we were with the Vogos again. So this was our final mud check before we were going to get patched in. It is about two thirty in the morning. We were all out. We go over to this one guy's house dog and we're all it's like three, they're all fucked up, you know, and they go, hey, we got to go collect. They go, you guys want to go, Well, that's not like that's you're going to go. I'll not say no. So we're like, they go, yeah, we're going. They go where we're going? They go, don't you worry where we're going? They go, We're going to take your car. We're going to take two trucks. Take off anything that says you know, uh, you know that relates to the club, whatever, go outside, mask, you know, put something over your license plate. And I'm looking at Tony. I go, this is I go, either they're playing with us or this is gonna be bad. So we go do what we gonna do. And then this one dude Tree, who is an absolute asshole. He's a guy that rode around with a bike. He had a bungee thing over to hold his tanks on. Bad anyway. So we get in our car. I'm driving, Tony's in the front. He gets in the back. He goes, hey, you guys got any guns on you. I'm like, no, which I did? I go, no, we have any guns? He goes, we all I got is thirty eight. He goes, you don't get anything bigger. I go, nope, this is no. I didn't bring anything out tonight. So we driving in North Las Vegas and we go into this trailer park. There's probably twenty trailers in here right now. Mine is about three o'clock in the morning. We pull in there three my car and two trucks and they go up to the door. They don't knock, they just kick it in. Now it's a single wide trailer and there's like, I think eight or nine of us. And as soon as we get with Tony and I were trying to get in the door. Once we get in the door, before we could even get in the door, they got this dude and they are plack, just beaten living shot. Well apparently he didn't pay them for some meth and some other things and he owed them, so they're beating a living hell out of them. And they're like, and they tell us they go pull the phones out of the wall. So we pull the cords out of the wall, and they go go check the rest of the house. So of course what do we find. You find a four and a five year old and a fifteen year old or so girl, And we pull them out. And all I told Tony is I said, look, I don't give a shit what happens in here. I go, they don't get near the kids. Yeah fuck it at that point, right, And they never made anybody, but we sat and watched. The wife got up, her girlfriend out of them what she was. She got up and got out off the couch to try to intervene because they're beating the snuff. They knocked her over the couch. Now, this went on because they started hauling out all his motorcycle parts. They loaded his bike into the truck. This went on for about an hour. Do you think anybody called the police? Not one peep, not one peep. That was one of the best charges we had because we got him for kidnapping. Home invasion. I mean, so, you know how I was talking about cover teams. I had one guy that was was my cover guy, Randy, And you know, we were out just social. If you're doing operation, you got you know, actually doing a buy, you got to get people, the right people out there. Well, we were just out socially. So after this is over, I'm looking at Tony, I'm going, how the hell am I going to explain this one? Because we basically did a home invasion. You know. Of course, the one thing I want to tell you guys is one of the things is before you go into these cases, you have meetings with the US Attorney's office, you know, the prosecutor's office, and you talk about what you can and cannot do. Okay, you know, fighting, don't throw the first punch, don't throw the last kick. Drugs, can't do drugs. We've had guys that were able to carry user amount of drugs because that's the role they played, so they could actually you know, give little bumps if they needed to, you know. Uh. But it was you know, it wasn't anything you know, really crazy that you could do, right, right, So, but you had those talks, you know, when we talked about you know, the language, whether it be swearing or you know, racial comments. You know, you don't want to sound worse than the criminals. Right, that's a problem because you know you've got to go testify. So that was all tempered, and that was all a proof. Well, we hadn't talked about doing a home evasion yet. Now, mind you, up until this point, Steve Martin had done the Warlocks case. I did the brother's case, and then I rolled right into this one. I didn't even take a which became an issue because after six months into the case, I got called on the carpet, meaning up the San Francisco our division was, and they were rail on me, going, you were supposed to take a year off. I go, I never got notified. I was supposed to take a year off. They go, you didn't get notified. I go, no, I go, tell me where that Let me tell me where that memo is? I go, I never got told I was taking a year off. And Gonzalez, who was the or Rodriguez who was the who was the deputy assistant over that thing. He called. He goes, how far are you in? I go him six seven months in? He goes, all right, he goes, fuck it, he goes, just just keep going. Then, you know what I mean. So I didn't really have them any break between those two cases were boom boom. So you know, so before I called my boss, who was a putts, I called the US Attorney's Office and laid it out to them, because generally speaking, if the US Attorney's Office is okay with it, ATFN on a box. So I called them and explained with and go, well, other than somebody getting beat up and whatnotuh, anything else happened to go just send somebody out there to take a report that something was done to go get the statement that they ended up using against anyway, So when I went back and I told my boss, I go, hey, I already talked to the US attorneys or good with it. He was like, okay, keep going. Then, no issues, you know, because it was a different whole, different reporting mechanism then. But you know, and then that case was going on and we were going good. And it's after the reno where we had gotten into that and we got voted in as prospect, and we've been running back and forth for you know, two three months, and prospect period for them back then was about three months. And they come up with they're going to have an officer's run down to Mexico. And it's like, so I call our at a shay up in Mexico and I go, hey, we gotta we gotta come to which I didn't know shit. I go, We're gonna come to Mexico. I goes it, okay, to bring our guns. He goes, yeah, you can bring your guns. He goes, you know, you just got to check them in at the MC. I go, MBC, I go, I go, I go, I go. We're coming across with the club. He goes, you can't come into Mexico with any guns. He goes, And we're like, what's the big deal. He goes, because the reporting requirements here are if you come in to Mexico as a law enforcement officer, he goes, we have to tell the federals to prosecute everybody that you're gonna come in, because you might as well come across the border and shoot yourself in a head. We're like, okay, well, how the hell do we get around this? So we had to start working our magic. So we put records in texts that said that we had been caught smuggling and doing some other stuff that we told the club, if we go down to the border and we're gonna have trouble getting back, you know we'll get back, we're probably gonna get arrested. So we had worked that out and then and then it was uh so, right at the last minute, they changed it and they did the officers meeting in uh in uh California. They told in formula. They go, They're like, you guys don't have to go because they changed the last minute. They go, they have enough prospects out there. They go, and they said, next week you guys will probably get you. Guys will get your patches. We'll just give them to your hair. So like right on, Well, they go down to this officers meeting and Darren Kaselowski goes there and he gets his patch. So he's a patch member. Okay, I think he held the patch the shortest of anybody in the history of ATF. Because what happened was his informants old lady who got killed. She got pissed because ATF wasn't doing anything. First she thought she should get some money or something, so she went to the club with his card. Now the fatal the fatal air. Of course, we're young again. We're not thinking, you know, cause his nickname that he used for the club was Cause. Okay, I you know, we we still laugh about this till till this day. But anyway, that's what he did. Well, they got she gave him the business card. They start calling around. If I get this wrong, he'll correct me when I see him. They start calling around and they found him at the Long Beach office. So they found Derek Kaselowski, a TF agent, at the Long Beach office. So, you know, Darren, like all of us, you try to scoot out, you go home, and he had a house with a garage and what on. So he comes back to his house. He goes in his house and he gets knock on the door. Junkie D, who was an international enforcer for the club, Sergeant Arms. He and some other members go in his house and say, where're you been? He goes, what do you mean? Wh're've been? I've been right here. They know you haven't because they were They had set up surveillance on him, and they go, what are you driving? He goes, I drove. I can't remember what he said he was driving. They go, no, you weren't, because they'd broken his garage and saw what he was, what he was, what he had in there. So because he used to park a car down around the corner, you know, different cars so he can come and go, those tactics have all changed. So so they took his patch, right, they didn't. They didn't do anything to him because they're not that stupid. If they're suspecting he's an ATF agent, they're not going to do anything to him. So he calls me and he tells you what's going on? And I'm like, holy shit. You know. The concern is are you okay, And the second is, how the hell are we going to circumvent ATF on this one? You know what I mean? Because he's got a report back, and uh, it wasn't like an hour later. I get this call and at the R undercover house in Las Vegas and it's Chunky Ed and Tramp who's the international president, and they're on the phone, and of course they obviously don't think I know anything about this. So I'm on the phone and I go, Hey, what Cause Cherry liked us, so he'd call us, and I go, what's going on? He said, we got a problem with your buddy. I go, which one? He goes, Cause, I go, what's the problem. Now, we had built a relationship with Cause, saying that we were doing business back in the Midwest prior to coming out here. So here's what he said. He goes. He goes, I think Cause followed you out here to continue his case on and when he saw you got in the club, he started getting around the club too. If you're to come and get after us, he goes, that's a big problem. And I'm like, you know, I'm like pretending, I'm going, Oh fuck, I go, So I go, well, what do you guys get how do you propose? What are you going to do? He goes, And then at this point Tramp goes, we're going to kill him junk. Ye goes, I'm gonna get off the phone now. So he gets off the phone. So it's just me and Terry on the phone now that I had this whole recording, and he's telling me. He goes, He goes, we got to do something, he goes. He goes, I don't expect that you'll do it, because you'll be the first one they look at. He goes, But we got to do something. So they were just talking about how they were, you know, because because of course Cose took all his stuff up and out it, but they had a starting place to look for him at his office, right. So so at this point we're like, oh man, I don't know hit. We're gonna have to take a break. So of course I get off the phone with him. I got to make a call to my office and tell him what's going on. And I ended up calling my sack. I didn't even talk to my boss really because he was a goof. And they're like, well, you guys got to shut it down. I go I think we're good, and of course, you know, being optimistic, I go, I think we could survive it. We should be able to stay. We can get rid of cause, but we could. We shouldn't be able to stay. They're like, you ain't fucking staying in that investigation. So we had to go meet a couple guys there were our sponsors, and we ended up meeting them and they hadn't even known what our own my own chapter didn't even know what was going on at the time, and Tony and I ended up turning our cuts into them and said, hey, we gotta we got to bolt out of here for a couple of months till we see what's going on, you know what I mean. And then what ended up happening because in these investigations you always have running affidavits from day one. We learned the hard way, so everything is going as everything happens. The affidavid build, they build, the charge just build, so if something like this happens, we can go right to the prosecutor with what we got before grand jury, or even just get a warrants issued and go ahead and take everybody down. So that's what we did. We broke out of there and then it was like the following week we ended up hitting Las Vegas, a bunch of places in California, and there was another investigation that was going on down in San Diego. I think we ended up getting like sixty members out of that or something like that.
Speaker 3: But you guys are clean because they track all it all back to Cause and you were just two guys associated with him who they thought was being investigated by Cause.
Speaker 1: Tras went to the wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't looking at us like we were anything bad. But you know, we're stupid and naive to think that, oh, we could stay in this investigation, we'll be clean. They just think it's caused. You know, it comes to a point where you're so investigating, invested in these investigations right right, that sometimes you get tunnel vision and you lose sight. But that's why we always had guys. There was a peer support programming a tip, but it was guys that had did these types of investigations. Because Steve Martin happened to be a supervisor up up in uh San Francisco at the time who had done those other things. So obviously he came down and talked to me and smacked me around a little bit and give me my common sense back and said, Frank, you can't, you can't stay in. You gotta go. And then I didn't even think I had to move, but then my house, my tires got slashed on my g car, and then there were a couple of vagos who were hanging around a building, and then of course ATF lost its mind on there. So that's where it was. So what's gonna happen to me? Now? So I'm talking to my wife of course. Okay, So if you guys don't know me, I'm a big Beagle fan. We've had beagles for thirty plus years. I got three of them now. We had two then, and they're going, you guys, you got to go out of your house and stay in a hotel for until we can move you. That lasted one night and we went back to the house. I told my wife I'd rather take my chance with the dog being at the house. I got guns. The thing is, odds are I'm not going to say they wouldn't do anything because there are some looney tunes and whatnot, but they know that if they really did something like that and it would come back, the blowback would be tremendous, right. I mean, that doesn't help me or my wife. At the time, we didn't have any kids. But so anyway, so you know, I get so ATFB and ATF I had no desire. Headquarters was the least place I wanted to be. Now. At the time, John Cooper, who's a very dear friend of mine, when our case was having problems, he gets sent out from our Special Operations Division with another guy, Pete McCarthy to talk to us about the issues. And we rail into him and it's like, God, damn you guys, you just sucked. And it wasn't even his fault because he just got there. So when the case busted up, they said, okay, pick places you want to go. I said, okay, well I'd like to go to the Midwest or to the South or whatever. And I picked my four locations. They said, okay, and write up a justification letter. So I did. They said, okay, you'll go to one of those four places. The next morning, I go to the office about six o'clock and there's a teletype that I've been transferred to headquarters to go work in our new undercover shop. I was not a happy camper, not a happy camper at all. However, it's one of the best things I ever did. Because Coop had worked undercover. There was me, another guy, Craig Carrity great and another undercover agent, al Phoenix. So they were bringing guys into the branch who actually worked undercover and understood what was needed to get this thing off the ground. So I spent you know, two years up there learning about that whole process and getting integrated with everybody else who was doing it, whether it was you know, the you know, every part of the government really right. And then and then I was ready to go. Now, in the meantime, my wife and I I was fine with the Beagles. My wife wanted kids, so we ended up rush out and adopted a couple of kids too at the same time. So I'm getting ready to push out, and I had a good relationship with a couple of deputy assistant directors who had been my sacks. And I go, well, this is where I want to go. And the one, Malcolm Brady, really great guy. He goes, he goes, No, he goes, You're going to be He goes, You're going to go be the supervisor in Youngstown, in your hometown. I go I really don't want to do that, Malcolm. He goes, well, i'm going to tell you what's going to happen. You're going to do it or I'm going to fuck you. He goes, I'm going to put you somewhere you don't want to be. And I go, well, that's not nice, Malcolm. So I didn't even put in for the job. You have to put in for the job. I didn't get it. Put in for the job. I went for an interview. I had my interview, and then after the Tate was he was the sack of New Orleans, I had my interview too. Miss He goes, Frank, congratulations, you're going to Youngstown. God so, which was good. I went to Youngstown and you know, uh, that got me to Youngstown and I was there for five years. And then that's how we rolled into the Arian Brotherhood case.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, man, I mean that sounds like a pretty crazy one. How did that start to come about?
Speaker 2: For? On your end? So, there were Tom Doyle and a couple guys up at uh East Lake Police Department and in Lake County, the Hell's Angels been operating in Cleveland and they had opened up a new chapter up and up in the Lake East. They called it and uh and there they'd always been involved in something, right, well, they and and there were some Arian Brotherhood members that they had been dealing with up there who were manufacturing machine guns. Bro. You know when I talk about people having no redeeming quality, this guy had no redeeming quality. Jay Bloomquist just total whack job. So they say, hey, are you So they called me and they said, hey, we got like four or five informants would would be willing to come up here and interview him and then we'll go from there, you know, if there's something that you guys think you want to do being atf right. So we scheduled we go up an interview and we find two guys, Now they didn't know each other. One was going to be he was going to work on the Cleveland chapter of the AHA, and we had a captain and Arian Brotherhood who they had gotten out. He almost be a guy to death in a bar, but he wanted to cooperate, right, He was a captain in the state of Ohio. So we went up and we taught. Now I was a supervisor right now, at that point, when you're a fourteen or a group supervisor. I raq whatever, You're not supposed to work on a covery, you're supposed to oversee the crap, right. Well, I had a really good sack that I know, Chris Sadowski. You know, he let me do a lot of things and a lot of bosses were never allowed to do because he let me go help out on Jay Dobbinson's case. He let me help go help on a couple of the warlocks, k all these cases that I was able to go play with and which was nice. And uh so, so we're going to start this investigation and we're gonna we're gonna buy a machine Well, we're going to go meet aj because he can make machine gun stands. He was manufacturing. So we get it all together and we're going to go meet at this bar in Cleveland, and uh so we show up and I bring in another undercover from Virginia, Jeff Gramman, and he's going to be the guy that gets introduced. Well, you know, I'm dress like anything. So we're talking, and so I'm introducing him to Jeff and I go, he's going to go with you? And he goes, that won't work. I go, what do you mean it won't work? And this is where informants. This is. You know, some people call him confident human sources. We just call him in four minutes, you know. He goes, he won't do I go why? He goes cause I described you. I told him about you, And of course I'm looking at him, and I go, his name was Fred? I go, Fred? Would you tell him? He goes, well, I told him your name was Junkyard. I got saddled with that for amlost two and a half. I go, what the fuck Junkyard? He goes, yeah, I go, what else did you tell him? Well, that you did time with my dad in County, Okay, so that's how we know each other. I okay, and I go, and what else did you tell him? He goes that you and my dad would go into bars and you would wrestle bears for fun. I'm like, you're a idiot, right. So so we're sitting there and so I'm looking at Jeff. I go, where you're going? So I have to call my boss. I called I didn't call my I called my boss and I go, hey, I go, here's the situation. I go, I got to go to this meeting because if I don't go, it's not going to go anywhere. He goes, all right, we'll just go to the first meeting and back out. Well eighteen months later there was no backing out because AJ, although he liked Jay, he loved me. He just took a real liking to me. I got a phone call from that guy seven o'clock every morning. I had to be up and ready to record him because it was like clockwork. He had a construction. It was called ab Construction, very ingenious, and he he would employ on the books all of the AB's that were getting out on parole. Now, Tim Miracle, who is the adult parole officer for Ohio, he had all these guys on probation and parole, so he knew all of them and what they were about. Yeah. So anyway, so we get into this negotiation with AJ about machine guns. So he won't get the kits. I had to get the kits. I give him the three machine gun kits at first. He makes them in three days, come back beautiful, powder coated, function, perfect. So I said, well, let's see what he can do. So I said, I'm going to order ten and of course US attorneys off sile. Well, how do you know he's going to give them to you, and he wants say, I go, cause these guys don't operate like that. I go, it's a bond. If they tell you they're going to do something, they're gonna do it. Right. So so we go and I get him ten kits and about a week later he brings them to me, right, and he brings me nine. And then he says, and then he goes, well, let's let's go back to my office. He goes, I gotta, I want to talk to you guys about up anyway. So I go, where's the tenth? But he goes, I'll show you. So we go back and he goes in the back room and he pulls out this stand that he had powder coated pink and he put these little powderpuff girls all over it as a joke. He goes. He goes, man, he goes, I was just joking around. If he goes, if you want, i'll powder coated black, I go, no, no, I go, I'll take that one. That's kind of cool, because that's great Jerry at Peal, I mean, you know what I mean, Look at his idiot. He doesn't even carr. He's making guns that look, there are pink with Powderpuff Girls on him. That's what his disregard. Way. J had ties into cops who were you know, who were running information for him that were selling them body armor. I mean, his dude, he was a captain and Arion brother two criminal, pure criminal, a lot of identity, theft, Robert, you name it. He was into it. You know, he was married to a nurse, trapped. He had a kid who you know, as we got around on the kid eight Cheetos and coke, that's all he ate. And he named him Dietrich Adolph blue Quist. Real treat right. Yeah, So so this starts to go. Well, while we're in there, you know, we go up and we're buying some dope off him. So he pulls in. He goes, hey, man, you guys ride motorcycles. And at this point I'm like, ah shit, I go you know, the ears go and I go, yeah, we ride motorcycles. Why what are you think? And he goes, well, listen, Darian Brotherhood has been trying to develop a club nationally for years. He goes, and he goes, and we got enough guys out right now that we're poised to do this. I go, no shit, He goes, We're going to start it here in Ohio. I go, so, what do you need from me? He goes, you got five guys? He goes, I got five guys. I can get five guys. I go, I got five guys. I know, and I'm committing before I can even do anything. But we're going to ride motorcycles. So hey, and I said, well, what's what's the objective here at AJ you know what are we doing? He goes, well, the objective is for us to kill the Hell's Angels and take over or shile. I go, that's a great plan. So you know we break. I mean, it's going. I mean it's perfect because you know, see the thing is people don't know about ATF, or really don't understand about ATF is a lot of law enforcem maidencies. When you talk about there's going to be guns there and these guys are have a real potential for violence, a lot of agencies back off of that ATF. The more guns, the more violent criminal you are. That's our wheelhouse. We want you to have guns there. We want you to be violent because that gives us our whole crux of being there. Because we used to get in these arguments with ATF about well, you're buying all kind of dope. We don't see a lot of guns, dudes, they're carrying them. Most crooks won't get off the gun that they're using to defend themselves. You know, they got smart, they learned, you know. So anyway, so I go back and I talked to my sack, Chris, and I say, here's what's going on. I go and I'm gonna have to be in it because he's expected me, because they're going to run this like an A B council. You know, we're gonna have members and whatnot. So it was like, man, I got five guys and my my very very dear friend, Freddie Rains was the only state and local guy who I just said, Fred, you want to work someone to cover with us? And he's like he had no idea what he was getting into none. So but that guy could buy dope off a rock, and you know, and uh so we started down this road, right, we started getting to know each other. So we had like, ah, on Saint Patrick's Day, we're going to bring our five guys and they're going to bring their five guys to a bar. So we bring our five guys in and we're talking to their five guys and we have no idea who these guys are. They introduce us to themselves, and we spend a good amount of time there and we leave. So we go get the brief by Tim Miracle in the in the task force guys, because we had formed a task force up there, and uh, Tim goes, do you guys know who you met with? I go, uh, you know one guy named David, another guy JB. They go. He goes, Dude, David is the head of the AB for the state of wohow. He brought it back from Phoenix. He goes, he just got out like six months ago for six counts of attempted murder and he killed a guy in jail and stabbed the guy and shot a guy, but they always kept running his stuff concurrent. He's dead now. He got his head about sawed off out in Victorville in federal penitentiary by the ABS because they thought he was stealing. But anyway, so we meet these guys and it's like he's got a JB twenty five years for murder. Paully he got hit for haul of dope between Oklahoma and he got motor who was he was robbery whatever? You know, all these guys had bought which was way right. I mean, it was right where we wanted to be. It was like, this couldn't get any better right now. Our thought was, how do we control the beast, you know, without getting too much shit with these guys? Right. Well, so on Hitler's birthday on April twentieth, that's when we had our coming out party, and the club was called the Order of Blood. And it's like, okay, which I didn't know anything about this. We're getting this whole historical well. You know, when Hitler went to prison and all his generals and our officers that came out, he gave them this this, you know, this metal, the Order of Blood. So that's where our patch came from. That's where the name of our club come from. So while they're designing the patch this this always makes me laugh at So it was an eagle, right, and it had two thunderbolts on the back of it, an eagle like the av Falcon eagle. And then I'm like, well, why aren't we using why don't we just use a swasti car. They're like, well, that would just draw too much attention. But on the front of our cuts we had a big swastika support couldn't break it up, right, So these guys. So anyway, so we just start rolling with these guys. We came out and you know, people don't understand the underground. So our first coming out party with these guys, we were up in Ohio and it was a Hell's Angels event, and this is where we're gonna bring out. We're gonna sell all our Nazi gear, you know, our swas because our club supports stuff, right, our thunderbolts. And so we're there, the Hell's Angels have their tent and and in fact, I think Sonny Barger was coming in to sign books. So there was a bunch of them there and and and in the caveat that So in Ohio, up in northeast to how they weren't supposed to be any new clubs that started, right, They're like, that's it, no new clubs. Well, a couple of the ab were friends with the Hell's Angels, they knew them, they didn't trust them. Nobody trusted each other. So I get invited to this meeting with UH with the informant in AJ and then there's two Hells Angels there and we go to this Denny's and we're sitting there and you know, most clubs will kiss their ass just because they fear them. Right, We're sitting there and they tell them, hey, we're starting a club. They go, what club? They go an a B club and they go, well, you know, we're not supposed to say. They go, we don't give a shit what you say. We're starting to club. This is the first time. This is why it was so great to be in this. You didn't care what the club said because your gang was a prison day and they knew it. They knew it. And I'll tell you a story that drove that point home to the Hell's Angels real quick. So they're like, okay, you know, just all right, they didn't balk. So we started the club. And then we showed up at that event. You know, they're Hell's Angels are They knew we were coming. But anyway, that ain't even the best part is we're there about a half hour to an hour. Next thing, you know, we got the Grand Wizard, we got a couple of night we got the Grand Dragon from the from the Klan. They're coming up. Welcome, brothers. We're you know, good to see you. You know, it's so good to see other people like us out here, and we're like, I'm telling you right now, they'd have let us go about another six months in that investigation. We'd have had our sheets inside that, no doubt in my mind, no doubt because you know, because people, you know, a lot of the old school, the clubs, you know, a lot of it is about white supremacy, right. I mean, they've gotten away from that. Like the Hell's Angels, you know, they used to wear a lot of a lot of things were Swaska stunderbolts, and then once Germany came in, they couldn't wear that anymore. They get fined. However, they were buying our stuff and not getting caught waring it. That's like a lot of clubs, you know, they'll wear the symbol, you know, because it stands for supremacy whatever. It was odd to see Hispanics wearing it, but okay, But anyways, so you know, as time went on, we had a really good relationship with both Cleveland chapters. But as we grew as a club, we became we started to get more powerful because people started to recognize we weren't subservient, we didn't answer, and that we truly were you know you guys, because all our records showed that we were you know, that we were criminals for the most part. And we kept a couple of guys that were clean just for throwdowns. And if you want to hear a funny story, I'll tell you this one. So you know how you think you're smarter than the average bear. Yeah, So we had been preparing to do this case for like three four months getting because because at the at the Pinnacle, at this case, we had twenty undercovers running male and female. Okay, so we started out with five. So we had to how we know each We had to get all that down right. So we had seized this Fleetwood Cadillac and it was an older one but it was nice. So that was my car because I was supposed to be the you know, the guy. Right. So we're getting ready to go up to our house and we had a big safe up there and everything where we would store stuff because guy would we had guys flying in from all over. But I had just picked a bunch of guys up well I picked uh three of them up in Pittsburgh. So we're going to our house. We dropped a couple of bikes off that we had purchased to get some work done. Okay, So it's like October, it's going into November, and so it was getting late in today and we're going up to Cleveland. Now it's like, if we go to the house to drop off all our stuff because some guys had crabs in their computers because we had to do our work, we were going to stash them to say it would it would if we went to the house and then had to go to the west side of Cleveland. It's like an extra two hours with the bikes. So it was getting late and we're like, okay, who's in favor of going to the house. Everybody's like no, let's just go get the bikes and be done with it. And I had like five thousand dollars I had to pay to pick them up with the work that was done. So we break from our route and we're going down Route ninety. Now there's me. I had long hair and a big beard. Everybody else shaped like this shaved head beard. And we're in a Fleetwood Cadillac and we're driving and we're going traffic. It's you know, it's traffic. I think this feed them was seven We were rolled like seventy five seventy six, and we pet there's an interdiction team sitting off on the left. Nobody told us that they hang out over there. That's just poor intelligence on our part. We passed this in addiction team and we all look at them, and they look at us like we are hit bearer than shit. They I mean, as soon as we pass them, boom they come out. There's three of them. They pull up behind us. They pull me over, and of course now we're en roll. So I got to be the asshole. So the one officer walks up to the side and he hits on a window. He said, roll your wind it out. So I roll it down like an inch. Can I help you? Goes? He goes, well, do you know why I stopped you. I wasn't speeding. He goes, yeah, you were speeding. I go, I was keeping with the flow of traffic. Dude, I go, that wasn't speeding. He goes, roll the window down. So I rolled the window down. And as I'm rolling the window down and I go and no, you cannot have consent to search the car. So he looks right at me like, okay, we're gonna play this game. Now, Remember how how I said we had a throwdown guy. Yeah, so Wayne Lester, who was a newer agent who we had to bring guys in who because we just had a shortage of guys right who who had capability but never been in this kind of situation. So Wayne didn't have a criminal history. Now, prior to getting into the car, I said, okay, does everybody have their guns in the trunk and in their bags so if we get stopped, we're not gonna have a problem. Yes. So soon as we get pulled over, Jeff Gramma goes, fuck, I got my gun. I go, all right, I go take the magazine, throw it in the front, throw in the glove box, throw the gun under his seat, because in Ohio that's just a simple improper handling on the firearm. Right. So the guy's going, I go, and you can't have consent the search. So they come over and they pull us out of the car, and so they put me in Wayne in a car and they put Jeff and Dan Osbalt in the other car. And Wayne's looking at me, goes, what's going on? I go, Well, if somebody's going to jail for that gun, it's you, Because you don't have a criminal history. So the rest of us are, you know, two three times felons. I go, so you're gonna have to take to hit And Wayne's like what, I go, Yeah, if if they don't give you a simple you're gonna have to own the gun. If they ask whose gun that is, it's yours. So they bring out the drug dog. Right now, we had cleaned this car. There's nothing going to hit on this car. So they walk the dog around the car. Once nothing. I go, good dude, we're right here. Nothing. They walked the dog around the car. Second time that officer put his hand on the window. Ledge dog sat. Because I have an alert, I go set up a bitch passive alert. He got alert, my ass right, So now they're gonna get in the car. They get in the front seat within you know a minute, I got a gun. So now now mine is the first day out on this investigation, and we spent quite a good bit of money getting I'm going, you can't. You can't believe it, right, So we're supposed to be better than this because Dan's worked the case, I work the case, Jeff worked multiple cases. We should know better, right, So I sit there and I say, waitne, I'm gonna have to heurt myself. He goes, what do you mean out yourself? I go, I'm gonna have to help myself to protect the case, because what are you gonna do? I go, don't worry about it. So I start banging my head on the window of this of this cruiser right. So Sergeant's like yell at me, shut up, shut up, stop it. So I'm about beating myself unconscious. Finally upser goes, what the fuck do you want? Go? I need to talk to you. So he pulls me out. I go, can we go to the back of the car. So he pulls. He goes, what's going on? I go, all right, well, I'm gonna explain something to you. I go. Might be a little bit sketchy for you to believe. I go, but I'm going to lay something down to you. I go. I'm an ATF agent. I go, And these guys are my targets. I go, and right now you're fucking up my deal. And he's looking at me, and I go, okay, if you want to verify who I am, I go, I got a bag in the back of that car. I go, this is the bag and inside it. There's a compartment that you got to, you know, pull some shit apart and get into. I go, my creds are in there. He goes, he's looking at me. I go, just I go, but you are the only one that could search that, because if these other guys it's going to be a problem. So he goes in there, and I could see him. That's right. He pulls my present. He looks, he shuts him. Now, mind you. While we're on the side of the road, about three or four more cruisers show up. I'm watching our seats get launched out of our car because they're tearing it apart. Right, So he goes, well, how do you want to handle this? Now? At this point, the lieutenants that were on our task force, they both show up and he goes, well, what do you want to do about the gun? I go, that little dude back there in the car with me, I go, just giving improper handling. He don't have a criminal history. I go, the other guys just let him go for right now. And he's like real cool about it. He goes, okay, all right. So anyway, long story short. After three hours on the side of the road, dark cars all they're They're like okay, they're wrapping up, and then like, okay, we got to put our seats back in. We gotta do okay. So we get back in the car and after something traumatic like that, the speed limit was seventy I think I was going forty because we're all looking at each other like we're supposed to be so much better than this, and yeah, this is day one. So I'm driving down a road. Car comes flying up behind. He lights me up. I'm going you gotta be shipped. I mean, I'm like, I might as well just let's just quit right now. Pulls me over. It's the sergeant and to his they never said a word about me, and the case went on. I mean, I give them that credit. They never said a word anybody about me. But he comes up, he goes, you forgot this, and he hands me my five thousand dollars that I forgot that he even took off me when he searched me. I became so tunnel visioned. Holy shit. Yeah, I'm like God almighty. So we go we pick up the bikes. Now it's dark and it's cold, so the other guys take off in the car and we put all our gear on and our cuts on. Now now we've got our you know, and we start rolling down the same road. Right, we're on two bikes. Now, our face are all messed up. We got helmets on. Dude, we passed the same in addiction in it, they're out right behind us, the sergeant because he must' not. He rolls up and he's looking at us, and I'm on the I'm on the on the inside, just on it. I pulled my mask down and I'm like, as if to say, we're real, come on, And then all of a sudden they backed out and they went, I mean, you want to talk about a night of just self reflection, you know, just like dudes, everything that could have went wrong went wrong, you know it did, which woke us up because that case was different than any other case. I went, because those guys scrutinized, they had security guys. They wanted to know everything about you. They were constantly looking at guys getting out of prison. If they made deals. You're allowed to talk to this one, don't talk to that one, you know. So as we started off in in actually our house was in Geneva and the lake and then it was beautiful, overlooked the lake. It was a big house. We you know, we all kind of lived there, came and went, and we kind of expanded into a couple of cities. But the chapters, the chapters started to grow, you know, we started to get more members as guys got out of prison. Guys were bringing in people from prison. So it was, you know a lot of dope. Like, hey, you know, the one good thing about it is we So we had this house right and they had a big flagpole, so it's like there was no secret who we were, right, a bunch of Nazis. So we Nazi flag. My boss rode by there one time, just check the house. Hot. I get a call this, you got to take that flag down. I go, why, he goes, I take the flag down. He goes, it's a Nazi flag. I go, we're Nazis are He goes, No, he goes, it's too He goes, it's too much. So we ended up flying a pirate flag instead. However, all those people up in that area, we had people, I'm not shitting you. People would just knock on our door because we'd be outside, everybody's tattooed, you know, washing bike. People would just knock on the door, asking if we want to buy dope and guns. We had these two idiots to work for the city. You know, those big steel manhole covers. It was like Jeremiah Johnson. They would drop stuff off at our house with the big swastikas of thunderbolts on him, and then they would drop off these manhole companies. Right. So one of the guys ends up asking goes, hey, man, where are you getting these? They go, We're just pulling them off the street. He's like, so you leave the big holes on the street where we ride our motorcycles, you idiot, you know, But they would, I mean, we had there were councilmen that would stop up and talk to us. You would think, you know, in today's age, you know you talk about racism, people just don't know how much racism exists still today where people you know, we used to sell our gear. People would buy our gear tenfold. We had guys that were buying off of some black eyes. So we had a tent that these guys would give us on the main street at Geneva on Lake. I roll up with one of the other guys and I see two of our guys standing there who are buying up off a black eye. He's wearing our Avy support shirt. I walked up. They're laughing. I go, dude, you better get that off, I said, because if David Snow shows up over here, he'll kill that motherfucker. I go, you, guys, this isn't I go. Serious business, serious business. They're not gonna they're not gonna laugh at that right. So anyway, but we had people that were and wearing our stuff all over the place. I mean, we had clubs. When they got in trouble, they would call us to help defend them or work things out for them. And this is over time. We got to be pretty good friends with a guy named He's not he's out of the club now because of our I think our friendship Willie Beard, who was in who was in the Hell's Angels, And he took to us and he said, hey, you guys run your operations good. You do stuff the right way because you guys aren't any bullshit. You handle your business. And and we did. There were times where things would come up to where we would have to handle our business, you know, where guys would would try, you know, test us, and then it was on, you know, and and and it was over quickly because we did. We had a lot of big dudes in our club, and it was you know, it would get contentious because you know, we had the Pagans. We would go to Pagan territory. They're like, well, you guys are up in northeast Ohio, how can you have no affiliation with the Hell's Angels. We don't. Uh. In fact, one of the original council members for their brotherhood was a Pagan. So we ended up getting real good with the Pagans. We had some affiliation with the Outlaws, and we also had affiliations with all the other clubs that were up and around in that area. So we were running. We ended up having guys in Akron, up in Geneva on the Lake, and then over in Sharon, Pennsylvania. So we had three chapters by the time, and this thing was ballooning up. You know, we had guys calling from from the penitentiary that were calling asking us to join, you know when we get out, you know, so, I mean, it was, it was, and they were in the beauty of it was. They were all great violent targets. We had this one guy. There's some twist to this story that so if you got if you got the time for this. Yeah, yeah, JB, who was a member of Darion Brotherhood, right, he went down for murder. Okay, he was actually and we knew this, but he didn't know we knew this. He was actually an informant for Tim Miracle, who was the adult. Right, So while this case is going on, he's informing But guess who he's informing on? Only us, None of the other AB's not David because he was deafinitely afraid of David, right, everybody was. We were deathly afraid of David. You know, look at David. He didn't look like much but Puku anyway, So John Beason's starting to get too powerful. He's starting to want to do too many things that's going to get us down a road we don't want to go. So it's like, so how do we get rid of him? Because we had to get rid of AJ two. And I'll tell you how we got rid of him. This was before JB. But so we JB had showed some of the guys in the club that he hadn't cut right, So based on that, they executed a search warrant and they sealed the warrant and they arrested him. Okay, So JB had a bad heart. So he goes. He goes because he's going for role revocation now because he's out on parole and now he's facing federal charges. Well, he gets charged in federal court, and his attorney in Oprah Court says that he's an active informant because ATF signed him up too. He's an active informant for ATF any adult parole authority informing on the Hell's Angels in the air in brotherhood. Now I get this information, it's like we can get rid of them. So I called the US Attorney's Office. I go, are we allowed to put that out? They go, no, because if you guys put it out something happens in then we're liable. Right, I go, but what if I direct some people to go get a copy of the transcript and they read it. Then they go, you can do that because it's public information. So I did, so I had Paulie and David Snow go get the go get the transcript. So they called me all the way back from the courthouse in Cleveland, and and and David straight out he goes, that motherfucker's dead. He goes, he's a snitch. He's a rat now pollying him a good friends meaning JB fall We don't know the whole story goes fuck him, He goes, he's dead. Oh shit. I'm like, yeah, well anyway, so, needless to say, so JB gets locked up right in, about two weeks later, he's dead, not from anything we did, but because of his heart gave out. Wow. However though, so so in the meantime, once it was public, I was able to call Willy Beard and said, hey, Willy, there's a problem with JB. Blah blah blah. He goes, well, let me know what you find out. So JB gets JB dies in prison. Well, to our advantage, I call up Willie and I go Willie Ja. I said, we don't have to worry about JB anymore. He goes, huh, I go, he's gone. He goes, oh, got to go. So now these sons a bit of state that we had him off them, which gives us so much credibility, right, unbelievable. I mean, it's awesome, right, We had a lot of things go our way that way. We just kept mounting because the first when we were in this club, it was like, well, everybody had to be like a criminal that did five years. Then it was a violent crime, then it was murk. This was self perpetuating within the other clubs, not us. We weren't putting this stuff out. So and the way we got rid of AJ was AJ again. So, in his infinite wisdom, the guy that was actually the informant for the Hell's Angels, they decide to go down to a Hell's Angels bar in East Cleveland, and AJ doesn't burnout in their bar, which angers that right. Yeah, So the next as it should and the next day there's these drag races. Right now, it's a heavy Hell's Angel's presence. We're going. So we had a bunch of guys, we probably had till ten or twelve guys at that point go with us. I mean everybody went. So and AJ drove his truck because at this point we got to do something because the Hell's Angel want to kill him. They literally want to kill because they know AJ. So we pull into this event and here's Hell's Angels posted all over the place, right, and so we roll in and so it's me jb And and David stnune Up. David stone ever took an officer position at all it was. It was it was me, JB and and AJ at the time. So AJ was kind of out at this point. So David goes, he goes, hey, everywhere you see Hell's Angel, you guys go post up because everybody got a gun. Yeah, go post up. So our guys en angled out and we're posted up next to their guys. So Johnny Merchant, who is just this big animal and face, they're standing over there. So I go over with JB and we're talking and JV and and merchants like, where's AJ? Where to kick his ass? We're kick his ass? And now about now, all these guys, nobody's young, you know. Everybody's over forty years old, approaching fifty, you know, and this stuff, so it's like children anyway. So JB goes, you're not touching anybody in our club. I go, if there's anybody going to be disciplined, and it'll be us. What's the problem. So he told him what was gone. He goes all right, He goes all right, he goes, we want AJ. We're gonna he goes, and JB goes just stand by. He goes, Junkyard, come with me. So we go back and David's standing over there now, David. Okay, so just a little background on David. David got convicted of six counts of attempted murder because he held his girlfriend who was playing Russian Roulette before somebody escaped down an house called the police. Right, he got fifteen years. He came up for parole in eight When he went before the parole board, he told him, fuck you, I'm not I'm not telling you I'm sorry or anything. So they sent him to the youngs tom Max Security prison, where he orchestrated the Lucasfville riots from there. While he was in prison, we got from the guys that we talked to the security guys that work in the prisons. He stabbed the guy. He actually shot a guy in the head but he didn't die. But they ran everything concurrent when he got out of prison. Now this is Jay been up said he was living under his mother's trailer because he was in solitary twenty three hours a day. Like you couldn't go through a drive through because he goes, I'm not talking to the box, I mean. And when he first came around, this dude, he spent most of his you know, teenage years dry cleaning so he would wear dockers and polos and the worst tattoos you ever seen in your life. He was balding then, but just violent as hell. But you never know that if you just talked to him and met him. Seemed like half ass, normal guy. So we go back over and we're talking to David, and David goes. He goes, all right, here's how it's going to go. He goes, you go back and tell them motherfuckers. He goes. If they touch one of us, he goes, we will green light every hell's angel across the country. At that point, I've been in other clubs that I've been around other clubs, I've never felt that much power in my life that we're going to go over there and tell them this. And it was okay, I go, JB, that's your call. So we walk over there and they're and they know who David is and and JB said, I just got one message to pass to you. He goes, David said, if you touch one of our members, we're going to green light all your people across the country. They looked at us, You saw their faces. Everything changed immediately because they knew he had that power, you know, or he could get to those people who had that power, you know, and uh so things kind of change, you know, the format changed, and then you know they were having an officer's meaning, this is where we're going to be seen by all the other clubs. So we had these things called death marches because we never knew how they were going to turn out. It's just had to go do it because that's what was required. So usually it's only a couple of two or three members that are allowed to go, usually the officers that go to these things, and then the Hell's Angels lecture you and tell you how they're going to extort you for all their events that you have to prepay for and everything. Right, So I'm sitting there and face goes, hey, we're going to have this thing down here. I go, hey, man, none of our guys have ever been any of this, Like, do you mind if we come? Like I bring more? He goes, yeah, bring whoever you want, which saved our ass. So we go down this long road and of course our cover teams watching the drag races, they're not watching us, yee. So we go down this long path and there's this tent, right, so all the other clubs are sitting there and here's probably like six or seven of us, and they're saying, hey, this is a new club. Order Blood and a couple of the clubs drip up and say, hey, we thought you said there wasn't gonna be any new clubs. It says, shut the fuck up. They're here, and then they kind of started to figure out what we were about. Right, So this meeting breaks up. Now, Roy Bootsterer was the longest prospect in the history of the Hell's Angels. I think he prospected for three years. That's a long time. So we're so they asked us to stay back. There were two or three other Hell's Angels and this this this prospect, Roy Bootster, So they asked us to hang back and we're talking. So I'm looking out of the fore of my eye and Roy's putting on his sap gloves. He's turning his sod off shotgun towards us, and I'm like, so I'm bumped. A couple of guys goes, are you guys seeing his bullshit? So it was like we close ranks into the Hell's Angels because it's like, if he's going to shoot one of us, he's got to shoot down right, and JB didn't see it. He goes, what's going on? I go, just I go, I got time to explain. I close it up. So they start talking about what needs to happen and how we have to send some guys down to the j Bar so that they can apologize, which David was vietmamly against. But we're like, David, we got to exist here. We'll take care of that business. Let them. You know, we're kind of big because the plan was again to kill all of them, So it's like, hey, let's just think they're in control. You know, we're kind of guiding David. Let them think we're in control, and then let them go apologize. So two guys went down and apologize, so they couldn't do anything because we had closed ranks runner guys, so they just broke it up. So as we're walking back up the hill, JB looks at me, he goes, what the hell was that all about? I go, dude, they were getting ready to shoot us with that shotgun. He goes, what, I go, Yeah, So I told my guys, I go, we're gonna kill everybody here that's not wearing our patch and we're dropping our shit and getting out of here. And he looked at me, he goes, Junkyard, He goes, I only got one problem with that, And I go, what is? He goes, you need to fucking tell me that when you're gonna do shit like that. I'm like, okay, cool, well I'm telling you now, he goes, he goes. Because they didn't care. It was like, if you know, the patch was something that was just a novelty for them to be able to ride around and be a club. But the brand AB brand is what kept them together. We kept all of us together because we're the only guys that were part of an AB thing that never really went through the whole process of becoming an a B inside the joint, right, you know, which was unique in and of itself. I mean, they took pictures of us and sent them inside a joint to see if anybody knew us or anything like that. But you know, we were we were pretty much on equal standing with those guys.
Speaker 3: So how you know, go ahead, No, I'm just curious because you know, you're talking about a very interesting dynamic here, right, You're talking about the Hell's Angels and the Pagans and these motorcycle gangs who their guys sometimes get sent to prison, and when they do get toent to prison, I imagine generally have to rely on the Area and Brotherhood, which isn't a motorcycle gang. It's a prison gang that you know, it's it's it's a major protective and a violent force inside a prism. So now all of a sudden, the Arian Brotherhood is they're sort of outside the law when it comes to these motorcycle gangs, right, Like, they have a way more reach than a lot of these motorcycle gangs do.
Speaker 2: Well. So you know, every time you go into club, you learn their you know their background, their history. Right. So so of course Darren Brother is going to tell you at least like the Aaron Brother in Ohio was brought from Arizona. That's where David brought it back from. Right So in Arizona started from California. So you're going to learn the law of that. And so we were talking to David about that because he did not like the Hell's Angels. He hated them, And I'm like, David, what's the rough He goes, well, he goes it goes back to the riots in the sixties. He goes when we were he goes, you know, he goes, we were riding with the blacks. He used another term, right, he goes, he goes, We went to the Hell's Angels, you know, to see if they're with us, and they said, no, we're not. We're not white or Hell's Angels. And to this day that carries like they remember that. So like in state, in federal prison, they're okay. State prison, they keep away. Now, most clubs don't allow you to become an Aaron Brotherhood member. And being a club, right, Aaron brother don't care if you if you're in a club or not, you know what I mean. But the clubs don't want you because what happens is is divided loyalty then and who has the bigger stick? Now, you know, we got taught a lot about Aaron Brotherhood, you know, I mean, we were buying off of guys. We bought off a black, We bought off of the Mexican mafia. We bought anybody because the color was green, right, if it was green, and we could make money. So you know, when you look at the hierarchy of white supremacist right, you have the true believers, but the thear In Brotherhood is more. It's a prison game. You know. When they're out, they're cliquish, they do stuff, But it's all all about pushing money back into the prison to help those guys. It's not like you knowsm and you know War all these other you know, white nationalists. It's not about that. It's they're all based on an ideology based on religion. They ain't Brethren is not based on like Christian religion. It's not based on that at all. So it's based on white is right. It's our group of guys. We do we do, we hold the power. Right. So when David made that statement to them, it kind of changed everything. From the Lake, these guys are like, hey, these guys are good, you know. And then and then the Cleveland chapter we started to get rubs with because they saw power shifting dynamic where a lot of the other puppet clubs, the smaller support clubs were looking to us, and we were real good about that. We go to the events, we pony up a bunch of money, we're buying loyalty. Right, I'll tell you a quick story. So they used to have these officer meetings, right, and so there had been some friction with us in a couple of clubs, and especially with the Hell's Angels, and it was coming to a head. So we're riding to the Earth Dogs was the name of his club. They got a real small clubhouse. But we're going to go over to the Bourne Free. Now they were a single chapter club, but they had a lot of members, like forty members, and we had become pretty tight with this guy, so we were going to go over to their clubhouse first in and ride over together. Well, while we're riding over there, there was four of us. There was yeah, there was four of us. Well there's a pack coming towards us. So I'm like, well, who the fuck is that? Well it was the Hell's Angels. They had like eight members and like two or three prospects are like, something's fucked up. That ain't right. They never bring that many people to these days. So we get over to the to the Born Free clubhouse and we walk in and two tall as the president, a nice guy, and we had become friends with some of their real good friends with some of their guys, and too Tall goes, somebody's fixing to get fucked up, and were like us. He goes, he goes, that's the way it looks. He goes, dude, he goes, I don't know that. He goes, the Hell's Angels got rep with you guys, and I go over what He goes, Well, the swordsmen were saying, you guys were in their territory selling dope. I go, we don't even go over there. What the fuck are they talking about? That is a puppet club for them, you know, for the Angels. So we're getting ready to leave, but this is how much Loyd tvse guys had for us. They go, look, if you want, they go, we'll invite the Hell's Angels back to our clubhouse. And he goes, We'll hide in the closets with shotguns and shit, and when they come in, we'll kill them all. We're like, all right, fucking sounds like a good plan, because at this point it's self preservation. If that's what it comes back to, that's what it comes down there. I'll give a shit, you know what I mean. I want to go home and see my family. Right. So we go over to this earth Dog clubhouse and you know, we go in and they're you know, reading the Riot Act and they're telling they want everybody solid security numbers and this and that, so they can start checking everybody, but they really wanted to check us. And myself and Grammar are in there and we're saying out loud because we're just a fighting you know, we're not giving you our shit, we're not giving you anything. And there and like the other clubs are like it's like being in third grade where you bark at the teacher, and the other clubs are like looking around, going holy shit. And then they're like, and there's not to be any you know, shit go down while we're here. So if you got a problem in another club, you handle it. So of course we did the exact opposite. So when the meeting broke up, the president and the swordsman walked out towards the was walking towards the uh the bonfire, so we scooped him up or like, and we're getting his ass about what he's saying. And of course Goose, who's no longer in a club, he's a big dude, and a couple other guys they're watching us. We're blatant defiance to them, and he comes walking over. He will not talk to us, and he starts, didn't I tell you to the other guy, and the swordsman, didn't I tell you you guys aren't supposed to handle aid business. And he's looking at him, going like, but they scooped me up right now. In the meantime, we didn't know how shit was gonna go. So Freddie and I think it was Oz. Those guys had got into a position of a crossfire because if it broke again, it was it was four against whoever wanted to draw their guns, right, So anyway, they bitch at them, We get on our motorcycles and we leave. Now Oz bolt and grabbing. We're going to meet some of the Pagans in Youngstown because they had a deal. So Freddie and I go to this truck stop and we're gonna grab something to eat, and you know, you try not to take stuff personal, but now I took this personal. So I called up Willy Bear and I said, Willy, I go, what the fuck is Goose's problem? He goes, what do you mean? I go, we're just at this, Meaning goes, what did he do? I go, he's telling us he wants this, he wants that. He goes, well, you know, Goose can kind of get like a a stop. I go, stop right there, I go do you know who the original Guestopo was fucking nazis us. We're the gonna stop hop we don't get told what to do. I go. And then so Freddy's eating and I'm watching him because he's like, where are you going with this? I said, I'm gonna tell you something, Willie. I said, you motherfuckers want to go, We'll go with you anytime you want. I go. You just tell us where and win. And he's like, whoa whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. He goes, we're not looking to fight at two front war because this is when they were battling and they basically got pushed out of Philadelphia when the Pagans busted them out of Philadelphia. He goes, we're not looking to fight at to to you know, a two front war with you guys. I go, I go, there's not gonna be a fight. I go. You guys just won't see it coming Willie. And he's like, God damn it, you know. And after that, after that, I'm telling you, we tried to poke that bear every chance we could get with the Hell's Angels, and they would they would get so livid, but they would never jump they would never jump at us ever, and it's just because not that we were a bunch of tough guys, but what would ensue if it happened, what they knew would happened, or what they believed what would happen. So, you know, so that was that was I mean you talked about it was one of those times in a club where it was like, man, this is where you know you got big dogs, but all the other guys are looking at you, going this, this could be a problem because this isn't These guys that are in the club they don't have a criminal record or they're afraid to go back to prison because that's their home, right, you know. So it was kind of unique in that way.
Speaker 1: So what what what was the tripping point for this this investigation that led to you know, you guys closing the net on it.
Speaker 2: I had a thumbsucker as an asack. I mean he was scared, like denied even having meetings at the USA's office with the sack. I don't remember being there. It was a fucking Saturday morning. Who comes in on a Saturday morning to have a meeting about what we're going to do. He wanted to shut that case down from the minute because he had no idea. You know, Thank God for guys like Steve Martin who were deputy assistant directors at the time that were fighting our battles at the headquarters level keeping our cases alive. Now, Chris Audowski, who was my sack, he was there, but the a sack wasn't passing the information up and down, so you know, so what ended up happened. The biggest thing that happened that shut it down was because, like I said, we were getting into some scenarios with you know, with the I could tell you countless stories about shit that happened with the Pagans. It almost became a big problem. But the big tipping point was I get a call from Willly Beard at like ten in the morning. This guy never was up at that time. He was a nocturnal animal, you know what I mean. He goes, I got to meet you. I go, okay, I go. When he goes as soon as you can, I go, wait, I go, he goes, when could you meet me? I go, give me an hour, and he goes, and then he goes. He goes, and I have my car swept. I go, okay, So I know there's a problem. So I go where we're going to meet. He goes, meet me up at the McDonald's. I go, okay, I go, we're going anywhere? He goes no. I'm like, so, I had two guys that were at the house with me. I said, look, I got to go meet Billy. I have no idea what this is about. I go, but I need you to go up there and just cover me because I don't know what's going on. Willie and I had a pretty damn good relationship. So I pulled into McDonald's. He's in there. He goes, come, well, let's get my car. So I go sit in his car and I'm waiting for him to put it in drive because I ain't going anywhere with them. I'm going to stop that. And he pulls out this envelope. Then he hands it to me and I'm looking at it. He goes in. It's addressed to Hell's Angels, you know Lakey's chapter. He goes, open it up and tell me what you think. So I open up. I pull out this letter and I'm looking at and what it is is a picture of Jeff Grabman when he was a warlock. And Derek has lost you when he was a warlock. The Idea identified Jeff correctly, they and they identified Derek Kazlowski is another agent who we call Bailey, right, but Jeff had slimmed down. He really didn't look as much like that, and he's I'm looking at it. Of course, my ass is puckered and I'm kind of just looking. He goes, do you know those guys? I go, no, he goes, because they identify I go these guys ain't in my club. He goes, they're not. I go, no, I don't know who the fuck these guys are Willie. I go, what's going on here? He goes, Well, we got mailed this and in Cleveland got mailed this letter. Identify you guys. He goes, We've been having meetings. He goes. We don't believe those are your guys either. He goes, However, somebody might be trying to get in your club and infiltrate you guys. You need to be careful. I'm like, holy shit. Okay. So I'm like okay, So I grabbed the letter. I go back to the house and that's another one of these son of bitch. So I call, well, we were going to try to get around it, but the two state police guys that we had that were working with us from Pennsylvania, then they went right to their captain and it was like, because we know they're going to talk to our people and there's still coming back from that, we thought we could salvage it, really because they weren't actually accusing us of anything, right, right, and we weren't really doing business with them because at this point we had got really tight with the Pagans and we went to a wedding, so all this was happening at the same time. So we went to a Pagan wedding wedding for one of the Pagan members, and we didn't wear our colors or anything like that. And they had been talking to us because they were talking about us flipping patches and becoming Pagans. The Hell's Angels wanted us to become a prospect club for them. Up in Erie, We're like, no, no, no, no no, because we like our own thing. So we go to this wedding. In about an hour into the wedding, Blucky who was the guy getting married, and he goes, hey, there's some guys in the back want to see you. Guys like okay, but only you're officers can come. So it was me, Dan and Jeff. We go back there. There's ten Pagans sitting back there, three of which are Mother Club members, which are there that's their pinnacle. There's thirteen of them that run the entire club, and then there's the rest of them that are there. And we're sitting there going all right, and they're like, Okay, who are you guys? They go, we know your brotherhood, but what do you want? What do you want with us? And I'm like, we want to do business with you guys. And then Pokey, who's dead now, who was a pegan. This guy he was a Puerto Rican who had a swastika on his arm, right, and so we were doing drug deals with him. Is like, and one of the guys said, Pokey, why do you have a swastik on your arm? You're Puerto Rican? He goes, that's so, that's so my daughters don't date any of those black guys. That's a fucked up philosophy, dude, I mean, you know. Anyway, but he's in there and he starts chirping. He goes, those guys got Ohio and Pennsylvania tabs. The mother club member said, shut up, shut up. We don't care about that because they thought of us as a cash cow. We could get, you know, how, we can start making some money. So we talked to them guys for about thirty forty minutes, and at the end this is what said. They said, we're going to take your pictures. We're gonna pass around see if anybody knows you, and then we want to know who's in your club. Well we are. We had so many informants that were ab guys that were either in the prison or out. We could have give them a list of fifty guys because they didn't know how many we had. They really didn't, and truly violent guys that would have been like holy shit. But because the outing with that picture, that was my asack was driving it downhill, driving it downhill. This is the point in the investigation where we wanted to get because now we'd have free reign to roll through Pagan territory to deal with whoever we wanted with their blessing, you know, with their blessing. And then my Asack comes out of nowhere it says, you guys got to end. You got two weeks to get out. It's like fucking two weeks. Wow, So we had to contrive this big plan that I had a brain aneurysm and died while I was down in Florida see my baby's mama. And of course those guys are all a lot of guys who want to go to Florida for fegoes. Now they cremated them already. Well then of course we had a running affidavit and everything. So what we ended up doing is, you know, we ended up you know, taking everybody down. I think we got like maybe sixty eighty people. We had. We had FFLs that were selling guns to us off like, we bring females in there and they would put their information and we pay them and they buy the guns for us. We had a bunch of unique things in there. But but the thing is is we did We had we had twenty undercovers running at one time. We had four females in that you know, we're either our girlfriends or running mules. We had guys that were living in three different areas. I mean, it was expansive. I mean, it could have went way much for ATF was getting fearful that it was growing too big beyond their control, which it wasn't a problem I mean, you know, all they had to do was bring in some more people to facilitate it because we were reaching out and touching everybody. You know. Uh, you know David Snow, this guy, for all his quirkiness, he got it that his own people were messed up. You know. So David he wanted to sleep over the house one night, and he would you know, guys would stay over our house every now and again. So I go, David, we don't got to bed. I go with the couch. Goes, I don't even bet. He goes, you got a sheet? We go, yeah, you got a sheet. So he makes this prison bed on the floor and we give him a pillow. I got to get up in the middle of the ank of the bathroom. I'm taking a piss. It's like four o'clock in the morning. And I opened the door. And it was because we always used to joke that he's going to kill us all in the middle of our sleep. And I opened the door and he is right there. I bought shit in my path. I go, David, can I help you? He goes, I got to take a shower like a David is four, He goes, I just need to take shot. You have a towel. The only thing that was hanging on the towel bar was a washcloth. I said, David, this is all I got. He goes, that'll do, brother, that'll do. I didn't sleep the rest of the night. Yeah, But then David and I got a good understanding. You know. He eventually wanted to come to our chapter. Like David was, he had sense we had an issue with one of the guys could come up with this concocit story and it didn't sit well with them, right, So we had a meeting in the house. So they brought up their five guys and it was like six or seven of us sitting in the house. Now it's fall but it's hot. They all show up. They're all wearing jackets, hands in pockets and all guys all got guns on right. Comes in. It's contentious, and Paulie, who's the security officer, starts going off like like, well, JB comes in. Anybody who's got guns, We got to put him on the table over there. We got to put them on the table. And so we're like, we don't have any guns, which everybody knew we had guns, right, So Paullie, now I didn't tell you this, But when I was doing a brother's case up an achron, Paulie hung around the brothers an akron. I knew him. I knew he never he never recognized me. So he was the security eye. This is a guy he was constantly on the internet scouring for stuff. So he comes in and he starts, listen, I was an Akron. He goes, there was these two atf guys. They come in and they took down all these clubs. And I'm sitting there and everybody knew. And you could see everybody kind of edging up, kind of moving their hands towards their guns, our guys because they're sitting there. And he goes, and he goes. He turns around to me and he goes, and that's and he points at me, and I'm like, here we fucking go. We're gonna have a slaughter right in his house. And he goes and that's why. And at that point I lost my mind. I jumped up. I said, Paulie, shit the fuck down. I go, you are fucking conspiracy theorist, you cashhole, blah blah blah. And I start railing on it right and we ended that, and then so I'm legitimately pissed. I go, we could all just and I you know, so I go and I grabbed this old chair and I'm sitting out on the path on the driveway looking out over the lake and David comes out. He goes, Junkyard, but if I sit out with you, I go, no, come on, David. So he pulls the chair. He goes jack Gyard. He goes, I like, how you guys do your business? He goes, I want to now at this point, we'd already bought a gun and too off David. He goes. He goes, I think I'm gonna transfer your chapter. He goes, I like how you got? He goes, I'm dealing with a bunch of idiots over here and we're and I'm just sitting there. I go, David, I go, I'm still pissed right now, I go, you guys come up here, we're guns, Like, what are you gonna kill us over something stupid? He goes, No, that was all JB trying to be I go that. I go, dude, that ain't fine. He goes, I'm in and all this right now, He goes, I'm done with this bullshit. He goes. He goes, we are going to be the power in this chapter. And see all this was kind of going along, and I mean we had reached you know, we had another guy. His name was wild Bill Millsaps. Right, well, this is after JB got outed and we are going to bring some other guys in. This guy had been in jail for armed robbery a couple times, right, So he gets out and they're going to bring him in. So we're at the strip club and we're just talking about expanding, and I just threw it out there. I said, well, Bill, you wouldn't happen to have any guns for sale, would you. He goes, fuck, yeah, I got guns. I go, well, can we get him? He goes, when you want to get him? I go tonight. So I had to send one of the guys back to the office, which was about forty minutes away, to raid the vault to get every penny we had. So we go. So I'm riding his truck and he's drunk and he's searching all over for his revolver that he can't find while we're driving and the other guys are following us. So we pull up to this pretty nice house and I'm like, there is no way this dude lives here, so we get out. We go into this house and his dad, older guy sitting in a chair watching TV, goes because, hey Bill, He goes, hey dad, He goes, your mom's going to be home in about a half fire. He goos, you need to get the hell out of here, because he knows. So we go upstairs into this bedroom and he's got guns everywhere. Right. He goes, well, how many one? I go, I'll take them all. I go, give me a good deal. I go, you got something I can carry him out in? So he gives me in this green like army duffel bag, and I got rifles and pistols and shotguns and whatever revolvers in there, probably about ten fifteen guns. We hear the door open to the house. It's his mom, June Cleaver. She comes in. She goes, hi, honey. He goes hi, honey. She goes, Bill's here. She fields up the steps. Hey Bill, He goes Abby down. Bill goes Abbie down. In a minute, Mom, Now again, we're pretty. We're not young, but we're old enough. I felt like I was five, because here we are. We got our k not to cuts on. I got this big bag of guns. We're walking down the steps and his mom goes, boys and we don't even I missus wild Bill, that's all we could call them. Yeah, he goes, would you guys like something to eat? I have some cookies, but we're going what the hell? None of us? It was. It was just the funniest shit I've ever seen in my life, you know, as far as there were a lot of stupid things that happened in these cases, but you know, some of those things you could just you know, these guys are just out there, and he was one of those guys. We're going to open a chapter an acrid he goes, Are We're going to kill every one of these times? I mean it was always kill, kill, kill. You know. We had to temper that kind of stuff. Yeah, because obviously that'd be a problem.
Speaker 1: Do do we have any questions for Frank?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would get it. I want to ask you when we get to these questions.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you a question because you mentioned earlier like the cop motorcycle clubs and the military medicine clubs, and generally those clubs are made up of veterans or cops who like to ride, and generally, like the one percenters don't tend to fuck with them because they're just doing their thing. They're not gonna not impeding on their territory in terms of like.
Speaker 2: Drugs and stuff.
Speaker 3: But right, but you do have those people in those clubs who for whatever reason idealize the one percenters and want to get closer. Like how how would you manage or did you have to manage that when members of these cop clubs or military clubs would want to get closer to the one percenters.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of times, especially with the cop clubs, the one percenter clubs didn't want anything to do with them. Yeah, you know, they would try to force themselves in, and then every time there was an altercation or something would happen, these cop clubs would pull out, I'm a cop now, now I'm a cop, right I want to be, and then they would fall back on the badge, right right right, you know. So so that was so, that was all And they're not all bad, but the ones that choose to want to affiliate and go to the one percenter houses and do all that, there's no reason for you to do that. We still don't understand why is cops you even have to have a patch. Your badge is your patch. You mightn't have to put it, you know, but that's what they choose to do. But you know this has happened in court where you know cop clubs. You know they get in and they emulate the one percenter clubs, three piece patch and meetings, mandatory runs, and you know this has happened where they put these people on to testify in court. But what's the difference between what you do and what the one percenter clubs do? And there really is no difference. And the same thing when you get to the military clubs, they're again they're not all bad, but you know what the Special Forces is a big recruiting ground. Are people who have who have special Now I will tell you, like Jeremy Sheets and ATIF headquarters Mike Will those two guys were probably the two biggest supporters of the motorcycle cases throughout you know the time we've been doing them. But now they published law enforcement military first responders in out on motorcycle games. Those guys are constantly going out and briefing commands special mission units as well, and they're pulling people's clearances because of their affiliation. So you know, these guys. A lot of these guys got high level access. A lot of these guys are doing a lot of training, and they're recruiting these dudes into these clubs, you know, and then they're committing violence that are getting jacked up after a great year. Are a great service to the United States, you know, being in a military. They're getting hooked up with these these guys and they're screwed themselves up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's fascinating. H mc tyre, thank you very much for the very generous donation. Can you please explain why ATF isn't allowed by law to have a database to track guns and has to resort to a paper database.
Speaker 2: Okay, so everybody thinks that ATF has this national database on guns. What ATF has is so if it's an NFA weapon, you know, like a Title two type of weapon machine guns silence or short bailed shotgun, shortbailt rifle, those obviously you have to pay a tax stamp and those are registered right specialty weapon ATF. The only database ATF keeps and maintains is a multiple sales base. Okay, So what that means is if you buy two guns, two or more guns at one time, not long guns, but handguns. Okay, that gets reported. Now they change it on a south southwest border did to include long guns because all the stuff that was going across bast and furious and all that BS. Right, But the database is basically multiple sales. So what that is is for straw purchases. So you got people who are going out and they're buying guns for somebody else. Right, they get reported. We go back and we say okay, and people say, well, you don't have to tell them if you have the guns, No, you don't have to tell them. But most lawful people, if I come knock on your door and go why did you buy you know, four garbage guns, name one taskels, pick up some garbage gun, it's like a ninety nine hundred dollars gun. Why did you buy five of them? Can you explain to me why? And then normally they'll come up with the well, they either stolen something happened to them. I don't know what happened to them, and they're and up with other parts of the state. Are their gun crimes? So and what else you're used for is like investigative leads. If you buy you have people go out and buy multiple guns at multiple stores over the course of a day, a week, a month, right, and then their traffic outward you know, to other places. So and what else it's for we use it for is like if we're doing search warrants, and or if you're going to a house. If I go into the database and I see, well this house has you know, if it's a search warrant, well they you know, this house has been on the on the like five times. There have been multiple sales reported to your house. What's going on there? Right? So there's no central database like the tracks every gun you own, the eight the FFLs only have one obligation when it comes to multiple sales, and that's to report that when you buy two or more handguns at one time. Okay, so that that's what that's about. So it's you know, that's a big misnomber that did everybody? Ye know, I'll tell you something else about these FFLs. I because I used to go out to our farm's technology branch and Martin Furt all the time. You know, everybody thinks it's ATF that's jacket them, that's jacking them. Well, let me tell you something. They were selling those shotguns on those ar and Ak platforms, you know with the magazines. I saw it for like two hundred dollars one time, and then like two weeks later, I was at a gun show in Virginia over in Norfolkerry and they were up to like five hundred, and I just, yeah, I didn't tell the guy who I was. I'm just having to go why he's gotten so expensive? Though? He goes, Oh, ATF's getting ready to ban him. ATF's getting ready to ban him. I go in hearing, so I called John Spencer, who's in charge of our firem's technology branch, the guys who make these decisions, and I go, John, are these guys guns get He goes, No, he goes, All the FFLs are putting that out because they're driving a cost up. So everybody thinks that it's ATF screwing with them. It's not a lot of these FFLs or they self, you know, propose these these these hikes and all this and these shortages so they can and not all Again, there's a lot of good quality FFL's out there, but if there's money to be made at the behest of the people thinking something's going to go offline, then they'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we were talking. You were talking about the whole bumps. I think it was the bumpstocks, right like, because we were talking about bump stock those braces, yeahs, the braces, not bumpstocks, but braces.
Speaker 2: But well let me, well, let me take you about ATF. ATF. You know, hey, I love that agency. It you know, it gave me a career. It gave me a life, you know, gave me. It afforded me a lot of opportunity. However, ATF is a political football because between that and it's not really the alcohol and the tobacco, but with the firearms, the arson, the explosives, abortion clinic investigating all that stuff falls under the peer review of ATF. Right, So for years the NRA was battling and it still battles with ATF. When I came on in nineteen eighty nine, ATF had twenty five hundred agents. DEA had twenty five hundred agents. Today, DEA has over five thousand agents. ATF still has twenty five hundred agents. They don't want ATF to get any bigger. And when you talk about gun violence, like ATF is going to go in and solve these problems in Chicago, Memphis. They can't. They don't have enough people. All they can go in and tell you, hey, look, here's how we can help you. But those are state and local problems where they have to have the manpower to address it. ATF can't go in there. They don't have ATF should have five thousand agents if they want to be effective. They just Congress will not NRA's big money. Congress will just knock it off. The buney to expand ATF. And then the other thing about ATF is, you know, when we were under Treasury, it was rock and roll because we could we could do what we wanted under the purview of Treasury, and they backed us. Once we went under DJ we became the redheaded step child to FBI and DEA Right, who were third in line. So and we've been run by US attorneys, which that doesn't mean, it doesn't mean anything bad, but their attorneys, attorneys are risk adverse, they look at liability. They're not run by law enforcement official. Okay, DETL. Bock, I know him from Clety. He's a great guy. But the thing is is ATF is caught in this web of not being allowed to expand, to do what actually needs to be done. They do what Congress tells them because they don't have enough boom to push back. If you told the FBI, hey, we're going to electric cars, and you guys got to get on board the ATF or FBI would tell them kiss their ass. Atf we would park all our gas cars and we'd be riding electric cars. Because they don't want to get sideways with Congress because they're always fearful that the budget's going to get cut or something's going to get happened. There's a lot of good leadership, but there's also a lot of people that just don't want to stand up and take the fight. And that's how it was throughout a lot of He's undercover operations. Throughout you had a few guys that came up through the ranks like Steve Martin, Carlos Canino, Charlie Smith. You know, those guys made it up there. Those guys knew what it was like to be on the ground and go up. Then you got a bunch of guys that just promoted up through that. Not on my watch. I don't want any black marks by my name because I got to get to the next level. And when you lose the confidence that you right now you talk to all the guys that are out in the field, there's no safety net. There's no safety net, and that's and that's how they're operating. It used to be a very proactive agency. Now it's becoming more reactive agency, but so is most of law enforcement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mac tire, thank you again for another very general's donation. How much of Hunter Thompson's book do you feel as accurate the Hell's Angels book?
Speaker 2: Whose book I dress? Thompson? I don't know if I read that book.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, mctyre, thank you very much. What do you know about the Booze Fighters outlaw club. They seem to draw a lot of active military and vets into their group. They used to have a clubhouse in Oknawa, Japan.
Speaker 2: You know the Booze Fighters are. You know, they're I think they're the oldest club. But they go by their alphabet and you know, you never really saw those guys get too criminal. I mean, most of them are. You know, they got a lot of cops, they got a lot of veterans. You know, it's more of a social riding club. I would say it's not I wouldn't you know, to classify them as an outlaw motorcycle gang only maybe because they wear a three piece patch and they subscribe to they but they're not. They're not in it like the rest of them are. I mean, they will associate and affiliate, but not to the degree that some of the other clubs do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fastest. Thank you very much for it's just a sticker.
Speaker 2: Thank you. And then a couple of questions on Patreon.
Speaker 3: Oh, did your knowledge at tobacco from the ATF assist and starting your cigar company?
Speaker 2: Me? And how well, No, Uh, my cigar company, it kind of started because I like to smoke cigars, so, you know, in working in the government and still working in it, you know, contracting out, it was like sometimes you just want to get away from all that do something different. I started smoking smoking cigars years ago. Uh no, my not ATF has nothing to do with my business, thank lord. And you know it's all state regulated and I don't have to deal with the people in any way, shape or form, because, uh, you know, if I was doing cigarettes, it might be a little something different, but not with cigars.
Speaker 1: What what is your cigar company? Let people know where they can find it.
Speaker 2: It's Black River Tobacco Company. You could find us online at w w W Black Rivertobacco dot com. Uh, we don't sell cigars online yet, we have a bunch of you know, gear that we sell. If you're interested in buying cigars, Uh, you can call us and we'll ship them to you. I have to send you what our inventory is because I'm telling you, our country man, they don't want the banks don't want to take tobacco money. They don't have anything to do with cigars and cigarettes anymore. It's tough to find a uh you know, a bank that will take the money.
Speaker 1: And sounds like it sounds like Marxism to me.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's terrible, it is. I'm telling you can't even you can't even have advice anymore.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: How does an undercover agent deal with initiation challenges for gangs?
Speaker 2: When it comes to a legal activity, you know, a lot the most illegal activity that they're going to have you do. Like I said, the one where we did the home envision was an anomaly. Most of it has to do with fighting, you know, or mud check. You know, it's you know, like I said, the drugs. You know, we've we've learned how to subvert that and get around that. But most of it, I mean, they're not going to say, here's a gun, going there and rob somebody, you know, go in there and rob a store. A lot of it is based on, you know, who your sponsor is, what they feel of you, because you'll see some prospects that you're treated like dirt, and then on the other side, you'll see some prospects that they feel might bring something to the club, like the old school peeing on the colors and pooping on the colors and pouring No clubs respect their colors. Now you know, they don't do that. The only club that's like that, really, the only one percent of club that's truly like that and is still the Pagans. They still run like they're in the seventies. I'll give them that. But everybody else, man, you know, they have one two sets of colors. They have their dress colors, they have their daily colors. It's it's it's a whole different world, you know, a whole different world.
Speaker 3: What effect, if any, did sons of anarchy have on outlaw monictyle gangs and law enforcement efforts to investigate them. Did they give away any trade secrets of note, you know.
Speaker 2: I I you know what was funny about that series is ATF was always portrayed as assholes in that series, which we all got a good laugh at because, you know, at first, I think the first couple of seasons, the vogos were the ones that were giving them their h what you call it, their expertise or whatever. And then after that then the Hell's Angels took it over. That's where every time anything related to ATF was brought in, it was always brought in in a bad light. But Sons are anarchy. For the first couple of years it was it was pretty spot on with a lot of the stuff that they talked about, you know, who were giving them their advice, who who were directing them. Then they kind of got way out of control, and you know, because you know, it's TV. You know, nothing in real life is ever as sexy as it is TV. There are some things that happened in some craziness, but it's nothing like sens ronic Sons of Anarchy at all. Yeah, I don't think it impacted any any investigations. It was on while other investigations were going on.
Speaker 3: You know, and then what is your opinion of how the investigation and prosecution and the wacout Twin Peak shootout was conducted at both the state and federal level.
Speaker 2: Do we have the whole story or is there still more to trickle out someday. You know, that case, you know, I had a good butte Deren kase Laski went testified down on that. I mean the fact that you know, I mean, I think there were some according to the guys that I talked to that were involved in that investigation, and it testified there were some balls that were dropped. There were people that should have been charged. I mean, if you watch the video, I mean, you know, it could only be so much self defense. But no, the stories out there there there wasn't anything that was being hidden. It was just in the way that they prosecuted the case. It wasn't it didn't bring h you know, a good a good end result. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just you know, you know, you've talked about these really big cases with these you know, with these bad actors, very bad actors, and you know, there are gonna be people who comment later on about ATF and you know, the issues whether it's the EA A T have, you know, FEDS what is your response to people who who talk about like the federal, like if we were to talk about Ruby Ridge or whatever, you know, like when people because people are obviously gonna comment on this about the ATF going after the everyman, not that you know, not that Ruby Ridge was the ever man, but like, what would you say to people who are critical of organizations?
Speaker 2: So here's the deal. I can only speak for the guys that I that I know, uh uh, and that I respect. In law enforcement, you go after people who are doing truly evil, bad things. Right. If they're not, you let them go. I can tell you I never took it personal when you look at you know who you're targeting because they've either presented themselves in such a manner that they're doing something wrong. You know, everybody talks about ATF. You know the gun law. We don't write the gun laws. Congress rights the gun law. If you don't like the laws, go to your congressman, go to your senator and get them changed. We only enforce them. So if you're supposed to have a gun, have all you can. If you're not supposed to have a gun, don't get caught, because if you get caught, you're going to prison. So I mean it's like anything with the drugs. I mean, whatever they do. So you know, you can disparage law enforcement, you can dispair you know. You know, there's always allegations of entrapment. There's always you know this and that, and we're like go to court show where we're in trapp Because that's why I can tell you the guys that do, especially the infiltrations, Jay Dobbins, Mark, Denis Derrekkslowski, you know myself. You got Blake, I mean Blake Bowler, Darryl. I mean there's countless guys, right, Billy Queen, those guys. You know, people think because you're an undercovery or jackass, right, they think, oh, it's all funny games and you're out there drinking a cowboys. Yeah, you know, and even in our own agency, it's like all the skeleton needs to come out of the closet, dusted off, let it go, do the thing and get back in the closet. I had my sack told me one time he goes, Frank, all those tattoos he goes, you know, what will people think? I said, well, let me ask you something, Chris. And this was Chris ad ASKI, I said, Chris, I said, do you pay me for what I look like? He goes, no. I go, I can wear long sleeves like you do because you're a suit. I go, I don't aspire to be you and be a suit. I go. Let me ask you another question. I go, would you rather me be administratively sound or operationally sound? And he goes operationally. I go into my point. I go, all that other bullshit is administrative. You can't die from that. I go, So all the guys that did I know that did these type of cases, you know, and there's countless there. I'm missing people. I mean, Steve mart you have to be You have to know how to process everything. It wasn't until the mid two thousands where you were processing your own evidence, writing all your own reports, doing all of your electronic surveillance tapes, downloading them, transcribing them. I mean, you have to know something about the game. And like I said before, we never put anybody in jail who didn't deserve to be there. In fact, like I said, sometimes we would try to steer them away from the activity that they wanted to do. But because of the sexiness of being involved in a criminal organization run first all that goes along with that entire lifestyle. I mean you know that they get involved for that, and we try to tell people. You know, even today you see guys as well, why are you involved in that? Yeah? You know, there's no point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Frank, this has been one of the most like roller coaster ride over the top interviews.
Speaker 2: We have fantastic Yeah, in.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and twenty two episodes, and thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Talk for hours more and if you guys want to bring some of the other guys in, there is just so much more to talk about. Frank.
Speaker 1: I would love I would love to bring you in some of your buddies up here to Brooklyn to do another interview. Yeah awesome, and thank thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us.
Speaker 3: And and real quick, where can people find you? Again about discar, like wherever you're at out in public?
Speaker 2: Where can people find you? Well, they could find us through the cigar, But I also have another company called Hard Knocks Schoolhouse. It's HK Schoolhouse dot com. You can reach me there or you can reach me through the website, uh, the Black Rivertobacco dot com. There you go. We got social media and whatnot. And you know, I hope people aren't going to call, hey, you're an asshole. You and I go, you know, hey, I get a lot of people don't like, you know, the cops, and they don't like a lot of that, and we're used to it. So I'm thick skin by now You're not gonna get you know, you know, so it is what it is. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, Uh, fellas out there. We will be back on Tuesday, right d Tuesday with Andy Stump uh Cleared Hot podcast former Seal Team six officer I think n c O and then officer. Yeah, so we're we're really excited to have him on the show on Tuesday. Frank again, man, thank you so much for coming on. I know, I know we ran way over our time, but it was it was it was worth it for us, and we definitely want to have you back on.
Speaker 2: We want to have you in studio. Geez. Yeah, yeah, well that's okay, I'll come all right, I'll bring some guys and some yeah, and we'll have a good time. Just let me know we are down for it.
Speaker 1: We'll do it.
Speaker 2: Man. Hey, thanks guys. I really appreciate you having on it. I know I'm a different. I'm a different animal from what you guys are used to having on and you know, it's just my feelin's like, are you really going to go on your time? I go what, I don't care, it's you know, it is what.
Speaker 1: It is, different animals, same zews.
Speaker 2: I was trying. I mean, it's all great, you know, like we love it.
Speaker 1: Look final final comment I've said in the in the past, maybe privately, I interview a lot of like people from the intelligence community, special operations community, and I always run up against, especially doing a public interview like this, like I can't really talk about that. But with guys like you where your cases have been prosecuted, it's just like game on and you can tell the whole story from front to back, and it's just it's amazing.
Speaker 2: It is. Well, I'll tell you just one last comment. So sure, you know, just in dealing with some of the guys that we you know, on the military side, that would come to our training and we would go to their training, and you know, we we you know, got to make a lot of good friends and it was always funny because you know, we would sit there in awe and listen to their stories, right and and they're like, well, it's no big deal. This is what we do every day. And then we would tell our stories and they would sit there in allgle and holy shit, you know, just the mutual respect although the operations are different, sacrifices and the hardships are no less and that's and that's I think that's where the camaraderie comes with all of that. You know, people just you know, and not everybody has the same road, but there are a lot of different things to go along with traveling the road that a lot of us have traveled. Yeah, you know, yeah, absolutely hard.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, we'll stay in touch, man, We'll love to do it again. And uh yeah, man again, thank you for coming on the show and I spend some of your Friday evening with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we deeply appreciate it. You're gonna need to get bigger cops because none of us are small enough to.
Speaker 1: We got we got several other chairs we can push up here.
Speaker 3: Bean bean bags, I was just thinking about. Bean bags would be awesome. We'd have to like cut before anybody got out, because nobody.
Speaker 2: Wants to see roll it out of it rolling all exactly light.
Speaker 1: We'll see yeah, we'll say everyone to thank you, thank you friend.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks Avery, Ready to take care.