Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray w B Boston's new video Dan Watkins.
Speaker 2: What station. I was trying to watch the game out of the corner of my eye and I couldn't find it. They were on TNT. You tn T tonight, TNT. Oh missed it? Okay, if I had seen it, they would have won. I'm kind of their good luck Tron. That's that's what happened exactly. Maybe was it those three points?
Speaker 1: Maybe they would have only missed forty four.
Speaker 2: And they, oh, well, I'll get him again. I my TV was pushing me to some pay per view deal when it was like, I don't like that.
Speaker 3: That's strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got to get back to TNT. Okay, gotta remember that one for Wednesday night. All right, Thanks Dan, appreciate it as always. Thank you much, my friend, of course. Thanks all right, Gonna change topics last hour again. My thanks to Jamie Gass of the Pioneer Institute. It's a great organization. It's really grown. It's called the Pioneer Institute dot org. All one word, Pioneer Institute dot org. Check them out. They are really smart people who want what is best for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Most of the politicians up there at the State House are not very smart people, nor do they want what is best. They want what is best for themselves, and that is the difference. So whatever the Pioneer Institute lines up on an issue, I'm generally on their side. So I would suggest that you check them out. And well, that was a really good hour. Jamie Gass is a really well spoken guy and a representative of the Pioneer Institute. So I got to tell you a story here. Okay, my best hours, I think are experiences that I have had, and uh, this was an experience which really bothered me. Yesterday I was heading to the gym on Sunday morning and I was stopped at the light. Again, it doesn't matter where, but I will tell you in case you know the area Lake Street and Washington Street. And I just went by what's called Rogers Park, a ball field, big big ball field in Brighton on my right and come up to a red light. And it just so happened on a Sunday morning that traffic's pretty light. So normally when I missed that light on the fifth or sixth car, but I was number one. I was the first waiting for the light to change, and I am what you call a fairly defensive driver. I like to try to assume that there are other people on the road who are not paying attention. And you know, again, I don't want to jinx myself. Believe me. I'm I'm a little still concerned about even talking about this issue. But I think it's important, and if you think it's important, i'd like to have you join me. So as the light turns green, And before it turned green, I noticed in the distance to my right on Washington Street heading towards Lake Street, and it looked like a pretty good clip and a guy on a bike. Now, I'm going to tell you the guy in the bike was not a kid. Okay, he probably was sixty years old, maybe more, I don't know. He was flying, he was flying. He was dressed kind of disheveled. It almost looked, you know, as I saw him that it looked like he was wearing pajamas and a bathrobe. I don't know, maybe it was maybe it was, you know, I don't know. He looked a little disheveled. And when the light turned green, I started to roll into the intersection, but I rolled in more slowly than I normally would again, I wasn't in a rush. This guy on his bike blew through the red light. Never looked, never looked, never slowed down. He blew through that red light. I gotta tell you, if I had not noticed him, I don't know why I did, but I did, and and I was watching, and when the light turned, I had I assumed that, well, this guy, maybe he was going to stop, but I wasn't sure, so I waited. And of course, as he flew by me, and again the light had turned, now for three or four seconds. This wasn't a light that turned quickly. I blasted him on my horn. Okay, I mean I wanted to wake the guy up because I was afraid he was going to roll through another red light. The point of my story is you have to be so concerned drive, but you have to be so concerned with a lot of the bicyclists who do not care about the lights. All of us have sat at red lights patiently in our cars when someone has slid by us on the right in some cases slowed down or maybe even come to a full stop, and they just proceeded through the red light. Which, of course, if you did that or I did that, there would be a police officer who would pull us over and ride us a ticket immediately for running a red light. But this guy yesterday, I don't know if he realizes that maybe after I blasted my horn at him, he did, he would have hit me broadside. I mean, there would have been no way that I could have even if I, well, I guess I could have if I wasn't paying attention, I theoretically could have could could have hit him. But the chances are that if I had just proceeded through the red light and wasn't paying attention, this guy would have hurt himself into my car and he would not have survived it. I mean, at the speed that he was going was really fast, never ever slowed down. So the point of the story is to emphasize to everybody that the bicyclists have taken over the roadways. We have lost. Okay, those of us who drive vehicles, we have lost. We did not come together and express our rights as drivers to be able, which we pay for the roads. Of course, the bicyclists don't pay for the roads. Oh, we all pay taxes. I get that, I get that, But we pay excise tax on our cars. We pay insurance. We pay to register our cars every year, we pay for inspections, none of which the bike riders the bicyclists pay for. But look, the last thing any of us want to do is find ourselves in an accident with a bicyclist, because you were always going to be blamed for it. And if I had gone through that red light without that green light, I should say, which I had without paying attention, he would have blown through the red light and either hurtled himself over my car. And I don't want that on my conscience. To be really honest with you, I have a responsibility to other people. I have to assume that when you go down the street with cars on both sides, be careful. Someone's dog might run out, some little kid might run out. But the problem that I deal with all the time are the bicyclist. They're out of control, they have been made to feel the masters of the road, they have been made to that they're impervious to any sort of an injury. And because even if they do get injured, the insurance for your car on my car will cover it. But this guy yesterday, again, this is not some kid. This is not some nineteen year old kid who was just going as fast he was going, like they would say, you know, that's out of hell. I mean, it was as simple as that he was going. He was probably going over the speed limit, the motor vehicle speed limit that would require, which I assume is like probably twenty five miles an hour. He was going at least thirty miles an hour, maybe more, maybe more. He was on a downhill, if you know the terrain that I'm talking about, Lake Street crosses Washington Street, and maybe he lost control. I don't know. He should have been out on a bike. If he lost control, it was just insanity. And I thought to myself, thank God, and I do mean thank God. That's something in my head said give a peek to the right, because once I saw him, I breaked. Slowed down initially, and then I breaked in the middle of the intersection because I wanted nothing to do with this dude. Six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I know we haven't talked about the bicyclist lately, but look, it's May fifth, by the way, Happy sinker Tomaio. For those of you who are celebrating the holiday, uh, and I just would love to hear from you if you've had a near death experience. I mean, it was scary. It was I went to the gym, focused on my gym workout and said, thank god that somebody was Something was in the back of my mind that said check the right because I don't know why normally I would anyway. Maybe other times I've checked it and there was nothing. They are blowing through the intersection. But this dude was doing twenty five to thirty miles an hour on a bike. Look like he was in a house code or pajamas or something like that. I don't know. And if he's out there, I saved your life yesterday, Powell, and you didn't care. You did not care. And don't kill yourself on someone else's car. Wake up and smell the coffee. Six seven two thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. It's it's just gotten worse every year. It's gotten worse. The bicyclists, they will give you some hand signal and then they just move. They don't wait and wonder if you know what the what the hand signal meant or whatever. They they are the kings of the Kings and queens of the road and you drivers at Massachusetts, you are a mere inconvenience they need to deal with. Join the conversation. I love to hear from you six one seven two thirty or six one seven, nine three, one ten thirty back on night Side. If you had one of these experiences lately, feel free to share. And if you're a bicyclist and you feel that that some some driver did not exercise sufficient care and caution and actually jeopardized you, I'm willing to hear from you as well. I don't want anyone to get hurt. Coming back on.
Speaker 1: Nightside, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on you B Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: I was trying to describe this guy yesterday. I mean, uh, he almost had that look of the nutty professor type look, if you know what I'm saying. As I say, I wasn't sure if he's in like a long coat or a bathrobe or something in pajamas. But he was just flying down Washington Street and if you know that part of the uh the city in Brighton, heading towards Oak Square just blew through that light, never slowed down. I don't know, I just thank god I saw him. That's all I can say. Simple as that. Let's go to the phone. It's going to go to Phil in Boston. Phil, welcome first this hour and night side.
Speaker 4: Phil, how I made first? Dan, I'm so glad you brought this up. I'm surprised you and that's never happened before.
Speaker 2: Never this bad, Phil, Phil. To be honest with you, I've seen plenty of bike rider. Absolutely this guy. This guy, First of all, he didn't even recognize the red light. Phil. He just was coming down there like he was at the Indy five hundred or he thought he was five hundred and just blew through the light. And I'm telling you, Phil, if I had proceeded through that intersection as I normally would, if I hadn't noticed him, I would have either had him as a hood ornament, or he would have just killed himself and hurled himself over the car.
Speaker 4: You know, because you're a bus owner and you're you're cautious, and then chatting is you got the guy behind you? You the goal, so you get hit, You hit the guy. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: The funny thing about it, the traffic was so light. I don't know if there was a guy behind me, to be honest with you, I don't know. I get what you're saying. I get what you're saying. But I was so focused on this guy, and I thought, is this guy gonna stop? And then I got a sense that he didn't care about stopping. And when he was at the front of my car, he probably blew by my car, you know, five feet in front of me. He had plenty of room. I hit that horn. Phil.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you, jeez, they carried they carry things to throw at you. They'll lock your wins you, they'll lock your rear view me. I'm telling you it's they don't even give poessions a break, like you say, the King of the road. Eventually, they don't want anybody driving. They don't want a driving bikes, absolutely no.
Speaker 2: And they had been empowered by the politicians. The powered by the way the politicians. You know, the politicians always show up. When you know, someone tries to beat a truck making a right hand turn and they end up under the front wheels and they die, sadly, the politicians will show up. The politicians really concerned that say hey, look, folks, you know you got to back off a little bit here. You're not the kings of the road.
Speaker 4: The weak or two. Yeah, the ends alone, I believe ends Loan. Years ago, someone that office that got hit by a bike, a ninja w a ninja, a courier almost killed. I was not killed. And they had a new law that was passed. A posy career is supposed to have a number in their backs that can identify him. That lasted about a week. Like you say, then, I was walking on Necummings Highway on Washing Street on the sidewalk going towards the post office. A person was on a bike on the sidewalk. I was on the sidewalk, which I did not know that my back was to them. And it's happened before to me. He came with him just on knocking me off the standing and I yelled at him. And now I'm in a beaf with this guy. Know who he was. He calls me the certain words and then I'm saying, wait a minute, if I get involved with this guy, I'm gonna be involved. I'm gonna get total. He's gonna just walk on the bark and I'll be I'm guessing though it's no one cares anymore.
Speaker 2: Dan, that's the problem. Field and I'm trying to wake people up here a little bit. I feel that that the drivers, the people who drive automobiles, you know, pay pay sales taxes, pay sales taxes, size taxes, insurance. The politicians don't care about them. We have a group called Triple A. I'm a member of Triple A, right, But Triple A doesn't do anything about this. All they want to do is collect my dues and hopefully and hope that I don't call for Doe.
Speaker 4: That's a good prince. Yeah right, no, but no, but I'm so glad it brought it up. I know nothing's gonna be done about it. It's just almost just survival, miss Dan. I saw several vehicles set pedal bikes. The guy has his family and the back with a self made cat. This gentleman has to be out. He's got and I'm sure he's a good driver, you mine as a lass, but he's gonna be a complete idiot. People are driving and then they got the mopeds on the bike. No one knows what the rules are. You'll seek to a carpo. I don't know that. That's a simple thing. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I know what the rules are I'm gonna give you the rules. Simple. The rules are that people who drive automobiles better comply with every every traffic obligation. If you drive a bike, do whatever the hell you want.
Speaker 4: That should be made for a good political statement for someone who's running for some kind of an office. I'm telling you, but it is getting out a hand in and someone's gonna get cleaned or have your life rules.
Speaker 2: This guy almost bought the farm yesterday, and I gotta tell you, I, you know, look, I Phil, I don't want to be in that situation.
Speaker 4: Got problems.
Speaker 2: It's as simple as that. You got it. Hey, Peil, appreciate you calling me and we'll talk about Appreciate it very much. All right, we got to take a quick break here. We're coming up in the news, and I want to short circuit anyone. I've got one line open at six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty, and I got a couple lines open at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty. If you still drive a car, I'd love to know what your experience has been and what you would have done. I hoped that everyone would have seen this guy coming and spared his life. I felt that, you know, I could have been half asleep. I guess I could have been not paying attention. I could have been listening to the radio. But thank god I saw him, and I just had a feeling. I said, this guy's not going to stop, and I figured and I was right. He didn't stop. He he may have lost his ear drum because I blasted him. Because I hope he woke up, and I hope he realized how close he came to buy in the farm if someone hadn't paid attention. We'll take a quick break coming right back on Nightside, right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's night Side, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I just want to emphasize, this was not some kid driving the bike. This guy was at least sixty, maybe more money. No helmet that I recognized, and as they say, he looked like he was wearing pjs A in a bathrobe. I don't know. Maybe he was in a different sort of get up. I don't know, maybe he was heading to church on a Sunday morning. But I'll tell you, anyone who was not paying attention could have easily hit the guy. He was not stopping, and he had the red light for about five or six seconds. It wasn't like the red. The light just turned red. Now there was a younger person driving a car who maybe wasn't as attentive. Could have been lights out for this dude. And if he's listening, you were very lucky. My friend Crash in Boston. Oh, I'm sure with a name like Crash, this guy's going to be a character. Go ahead, Crash.
Speaker 5: Well, my last name is actually Gordon, so I'm not Flash Gordon.
Speaker 2: Crash.
Speaker 5: I am Crash Gordon. But honestly, the arrogance of the majority of people. I've ridden my bicycles all over the country, and I've driven my trucks. I'm waiting for a team suspension. I've ridden my motorcycles. The majority of people are not focused on what they're doing, no matter what they're operating. It's like the three fingers shop teacher. Hey don't do this, well, how did you do it?
Speaker 2: Show me and let me ask you this. I'm telling this story straight up. Okay, I'm not saying that I've never made a mistake driving, but I'm not an If this guy's blowing through a red light on a Sunday.
Speaker 5: Morn that is ignorant, and a lot of bicycle riders that think they're impervious and you don't have enough patting. You hit the wall, kid, and it fell down on you after you hit it, because he knock it down. This is the arrogance of the majority of what you're going to encounter, and the biggest problem is half of it's so distracted when in his own thinking doesn't even have to be on the phone. Yeah, the guy probably got kicked in ahead by a butterfly and he was still following the flight. He went on the field drip.
Speaker 2: Because I watched this guy and I just he caught my eye. He was going so fast and I thought to myself initially, he's never going to be able to stop. So the light turns green. I roll into the intersection really slowly. Normally I just would have proceeded through the intersection, but I said, and at some point, I just at.
Speaker 5: Least you took down one second of momentary reason to realize anything can happen at any given time. But a lot of people outplugged.
Speaker 6: In like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel sorry. I don't know what sort of trucks you drove, but often we'll hear in Cambridge, there's been an accident of bicyclist drove under the front the trucks taking a right and the bicyclist just tried to blow by the truck on the right side and didn't fight.
Speaker 5: Well, the one that ran in front of the trolley, Yeah, luckless pedestrian in that respect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that really did.
Speaker 5: So that luckless pedestrian I just wasn't paying it to or I just didn't care. And the air again, a lot of bicycle riders. Look at what they just did in this little town down the road to Spin. They're taking away sixty percent of the parking to make a bicycle lane and have these idiots don't even use the bike lane.
Speaker 2: Well that will, we see that. But we've lost that as drivers, we've lost the argument because the politicians basically do whatever.
Speaker 5: The biketotical on this one. Yeah, and Michel Woo screwed up every bicyclist in the city. She gave them the sense of entitlement. Now they're encroaching upon parking spaces. Well, there's more vehicles than they're all bicyclists.
Speaker 2: And a huge by the way, by a huge multiple. It's not like it's sixty forty, it's like.
Speaker 5: Oh, roll beyond reproach, all right, now it's like eighty twenty. And the bicyclists do not own the road. Hell, the carse the hell a lot bigger than you are, and you want to get in the way of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, if they don't pay for the roads at all, those are taxes. So don't they.
Speaker 5: Get the driving fees or you're not saying any taxes? No gas shore with the aggressive the aggressive scooter drivers too. I mean I've ridden motorcycles, okay, and yeah, I never got hit on my motorcycle because I didn't want to crash.
Speaker 2: I know you've never called before because I've never had a crash. The only person who I've ever known was crash was Crash Davis uh In uh In the baseball bull Durham uh And so we got to keep him as a first time caller. Run of the Claws.
Speaker 5: Oh yay, Do I get a T shirt?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, on another night you might have but not denied crash. I'm sorry, man, It's all good.
Speaker 5: Don't sweated, but.
Speaker 2: Those from our friends in college.
Speaker 5: But the Celtics lost.
Speaker 2: Celtics to listen.
Speaker 5: To something good? Yeah, they did. Tonight one.
Speaker 2: I mean, just game one.
Speaker 5: We'll beat the nurse.
Speaker 2: Let's hope. Let's hope.
Speaker 5: Good to you and God bless and just keep an eye out. I'm dropping my left eye and I got no peripheral hearing.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, thanks Crash. I enjoyed that call. Where we got to go neck. Let me go to Steve and Brockton. Steve you next night side welcome, go right ahead.
Speaker 6: Steve, Hi Dan, thanks for kind taking my call home. Excuse me, excuse me. I just had to call because when I was sixteen years old living in Brockton, and we're talking in the seventies, put it right, about nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 5: I was, I was.
Speaker 6: I had my shorts on, no shirt, no shoes. I came over with the hill of the main street, downtown Main Street, doing about thirty miles an hour, hit the hintersection, got hit by a Lincoln Continental owned by one of the boxing guys in Brocklyn too. He hit me.
Speaker 3: He hit me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the last the last thing I saw before I hit the pavement was Lincoln Continental. Is he hit him hit me with the front of the car. So I ended up. I end up on the sidewalk passed out without cold. I opened my eyes and it's all my friends are all standing around like what happened? What happened? This is like eleven o'clock at night.
Speaker 5: And so I.
Speaker 2: Really dumb boy, sixty dumb question. What were you doing riding a bike at eleven o'clock? You were on a bike, I assume, right, yeah?
Speaker 6: What were a beautiful beautiful I'm beautiful. I love this bike. It was a motor Pacan here of those.
Speaker 2: Well, the question is eleven o'clock at night?
Speaker 6: Come on, well you know what do you what?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 6: What else was I doing at that at the time of the night? You think.
Speaker 2: Were you drinking? No?
Speaker 6: No, hell, we couldn't drink back then. It was eighteen eighteen.
Speaker 2: There were peanuts. He drank under the age of eighteen back then. I hate to break it to you, stave.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah you couldn't. You couldn't. It had to be kind of yeah, you would come.
Speaker 2: You were coming home from your girlfriend's house, right, yeah, yeah, I figured it out, okay, And and you were so in love that they didn't see the car that hit you. Did that? The thing is, did you let me ask? I don't want to joke about it. First, did you did you recover from whatever injuries you you sustained?
Speaker 5: I had.
Speaker 6: They took me in an ambulance to Brogden Hospital. I had road burns over like eighty percent of my body. I was I was unconscious, okay, and I woke up. I tell my buddies there was like, am I in heaven? He goes, no, this is Donnie. But Donnie, what are you doing in heaven? What are you doing here? Is goldna be here? So they dragged me off and took care of me. But make a long story short. What hit me about the situation is the guy who hit me is just as to blame is me because he jumped the light. I came. I came flying down the hill doing like thirty miles an hour. Like you say, good speed. I was that was traveling. Yeah, went right through. He went right through the intersection, so I ignored the intersection. He jumped the light of the other intersection coming the other way.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I was going southbound, he was going east. He jumped in and he hit me and put me on the on the sidewalk.
Speaker 2: How long were you in the hospital for?
Speaker 6: Uh, Well, it probably took like well six to seven hours just to get seen in that at that time, it was a horrible down barked in the hospital.
Speaker 2: Lucky you're alive.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, I know. No major damage, just road burns.
Speaker 2: Did did they cover whoever hit or cover your injuries? Medical bills?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I managed to do that. I managed to get that covered. And I actually had him replace my bicycle, which was a motive a cane. Like I told you, it's like a three hundred dollars motiv a cane.
Speaker 2: Three hundred dollars was really three hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, what's the lesson? What is the lesson that you took from that incident? What's the lesson did you leave with our audience tonight?
Speaker 6: Well, I would I would say that everybody has to share the road, and if it takes putting an officer of some sort like a parking we used to that. We said what you called what you call you basic registry officers back then. So not only did you have to watch out for corps while you were driving, make sure you were driving good for them, you had to be careful for the registry officers too. But they did away with them. I think it was Bill Weld. He decided that we didn't need them anymore. Ever since Bill Weld took over, the traffic situation in Massachusetts has gone downhill.
Speaker 2: Okay, i'll word it was actually occurred. The consolidation of the Registry and the state Police as well as police occurred under Billy Vultup. But anyway, Steve, I'm glad you and I'm glad you called in tonight, and I appreciate you taking the time.
Speaker 6: What they want to do is we do need, we do need better. What I'm getting at is what we need is better. Uh, these people on the street keep been keeping away.
Speaker 2: We tell you what we need. We need people to be awake. We need people to be awake. Okay. We need the bike riders not to feel that they own the roads. And we need the drivers, the automobile drivers to be aware that there were people out there who do really dumb things and.
Speaker 6: You give them tickets.
Speaker 5: You give him tickets.
Speaker 6: One in my life should.
Speaker 2: Take Thank you, Steve, appreciate your call. Be well, thanks my friend. Talk to you soon. We'll take a quick break back on night Side. Right after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to try to get everybody in who's on the line, So let's start it off with Robert and Wellesley. Robert, you were next on Nightside. Welcome.
Speaker 3: Oh, good evening.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 3: I like to commend you for being a safe driver and avoiding that accident.
Speaker 2: It scared the heck out of me, It really did.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was when I scared the heck out of me too, and I want to commend you the way you handle it. I sympathize with your feelings in the more matter. I wonder if you'd be interested. And I've also found it interesting listening to your callers and their their perspectives, including UH, Stephen Brockton and crash and Crash Gordon, and I sort of like to like that. I'd sort of like to give the perspective of not only a motorist and a pedestrian because I've had scares that way from cyclists, but also as someone who's done cycling and also also done running and has had some interactions with with vehicles. Even though I was doing my utmost to operate according to you know, the rules for both cyclists and UH and monners.
Speaker 2: Grow ahead, you don't have to ask permission. Go ahead, Broly.
Speaker 3: Well, anyways, I think there's real misunderstanding antagonism on on both sides, and and I think some of your callers have said it's kind of a lack of safety education on all sides. And we you I can I can recall one time myne of my own business on a on a on a bicycle and uh uh, some guy came out of nowhere in a white undershirt and felt the needs tell me that the bicycle belonged up on the on the sidewalk, which as a vehicle it really doesn't belong on. So I was not supposed to be there. And I want to tell you that cyclist was way out of out of wine and not only should have been sided, but depending depending on perhaps depending on the municipality, could have been cited for driving recklessly like that that citation.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you he was flying and it wasn't a kid, he was an older guy. Uh And he was flying and I just thank God that I picked him up. Because all of us have those moments when you're not paying attention. I have had those moments.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: We all daydream something else, some other thought comes into our mind. And we're not thinking about what we're doing, and it could lead to a real problem, a real problem. I can remember as young as a young dad pushing my son in the baby carriage out in the roads of Sherbourne and they would be these guys at ten o'clock in the morning. I was working nights in TV and I, you know, take my son. You know, he was, I mean a year or two old in a baby carriage and you know, the big cars coming down cut through between Route sixteen and twenty seven, and they were crazy. I mean they were. It was a cut through and I can remember yelling slow down, and they want to fight. It's like, okay, let me put the baby carriage on the side of the road here, let's have at it. You know, it's like it's insane. It's insane. Hey, robin Ie got a whole bunch of calls. We're going to try to sneak in. Be well, my friend, Thank you much, Thank you, good I talk to you soon. Good night. Let's go next to Dave in San Antonio, Texas. Dave, are they as crazy as San Antonio is up here?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, they aren't. And uh well, I had my experience on a cycle as in Michigan, and we didn't have bike lanes for as cyclists, we traveled in the lanes of the cars if we wanted to travel with the lanes, and we traveled on the side of the road or whatever. I got fast enough to travel with the lanes of the car. I could average thirty five forty miles an hour on the slow lane. I went to work every day on a bicycle doing that, and I find that the motorists were very courteous of me on there. I mean I was hugging the edge of the slow lane, you know what I mean, yep, and they go by, and it was I was never any danger to them because I was going about as fast as they were. Fifty five was a speed limit. I could hold forty forty five all the way to work.
Speaker 2: And how long in those days was your commute.
Speaker 5: Thirty miles there and thirty miles home, so.
Speaker 2: Would take you? If you were doing what thirty thirty five forty you were getting to work in a little less than an hour.
Speaker 5: So that was good work, right, Yeah, And plus I saved a lot of Guess why.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you a lot. I bet your weather down there better, better weather pattern than we have a little hot in the summertime, but but probably the rest of the year.
Speaker 5: I don't blend you for your hostilities of the West. That's the way cyclists are treated. Bike wings everywhere, and no, that's not right. And if they if they want to take a bicycle or you know, they should learn to they should get you know, athletic enough to go as I was fast enough on the road to weather, they're not going to get hurt.
Speaker 2: Well, this guy was flying, Dave. I'm telling you this guy.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It was, you know, not a steep hill, but he came down an incline. He was flying, and I saw the light change and I said, this guy's not stopping. And I obviously had the right of way, but what good did it do me to go through that intersection and and either get hit by him him or have him try to stop. There was no way he was going to be able to effectively stop without killing himself. But yeah, yeah, it's you know, I mean, he I don't know what's going on in the guy's mind. It wasn't some kid. This was a guy who was like sixty sixty five years old, at least he looked that way.
Speaker 5: To me, so I beget he was seventy today to dad's.
Speaker 2: Crazy thirty on a Sunday morning. What was he rushing to go to church? I don't know, all right, Dave, I got to keep rolling here, man, gotta keep rolling. Man, have a good one. Get let me get Audrey and Cambridge. I'd be welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm fine. How were you?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 7: Oh my god, I kept calling because the line was busy. You know, in Cambridge it's unbelievable. I mean, I know it's everywhere, but I mean one night I might have told you this before. We went up the city Hall and there were hundreds, when I tell you, hundreds of people like people with their helmets, with their little kids, even they have little kids talking at the microphone to the counselors that could barely speak right. And there were only a few of us and.
Speaker 2: Spandex.
Speaker 5: Oh all of them.
Speaker 2: That's a shame.
Speaker 7: And yeah, and it was just we just wanted to get the little have a little delay before they put more bike lanes on our main one of the main streets here, Cambond Street, And oh my gosh, they just went on and on.
Speaker 2: They heard a story today on BZY Radio that there's some sort of a petition over there to say parking spaces. Are you hip to that or no?
Speaker 7: I haven't heard of it yet. I know there's one section on Broadway, but don't worry, I'll be signing it.
Speaker 2: Well, it was. You can check out WBZ News go to our website in Boston News, uh and you can find it. And I'm telling you it was, Yeah, it was. It sounded like a pretty interesting story. It was a significant number of signatures to save parking spaces because the loss of the parking spaces kills the business.
Speaker 7: It is it is and they don't care. And you know, when you were talking about it before, I forget the when you were saying, how you know the bicycles on the sidewalks? What what they did here? There's a senior housing development not too far from where I am and they actually put the bike lane on the sidewalk in front of the senior housing. A bike doesn't it. I mean, it just gets more ridiculous every day, and it's just it's infuriating, and yet people are fighting it and fighting it. And now now what they do in Cambridge. You can put a building up with no parking. I mean, not too long ago, you could not build a building without having attic of pocketing's a building going up.
Speaker 2: It's all part of a combined strategy, it really is. It's a part of it.
Speaker 7: It's crazy, though, but I don't get it.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't get it, because why don't. At least it's the bicyclists, you know, obey the traffic law laws, but they don't. And I call them the II group. Yeah, well that's a good one, because that's all they talk, think about it as themselves. I want to do this, and I want to do that, and I want to ride my bike. And some of them didn't even live in cambers that were up at city Hall that night.
Speaker 2: Well, I've told you how passed. And this goes back, This goes back like thirty years. I'd be driving my kids on Sunday morning to a soccer game or a little league game, and I've had a few kids, you know, a couple of their friends in the car, and out on some of those roads in the western suburbs, you know, in Westwood and Natick and places like that, you'd have like these three guys dressed in the same sort of outfit. It's like they were on some sort of professional sports team, but they just had the same yellow spandex outfit. Yeah, they would drive three abreast. If you come up on them and you just beeped quietly, they'd turn it around, flashing the broad atge with kids in the backseat of the car.
Speaker 7: Really yeah, yeah yeah, And as other said, they so yeah, oh yeah, and it's so elegant. I mean, they just think that they own the road. I mean, one guy one day, I mean, and I just halloed at him. There's poor woman was trying to get out of the arm there was like ann Chice store.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, she's just trying to pull out a little bit. And a bicycle is going by and saying, hey, you your blocking the road. He went. I said, you're going to a red light. The guy was going to a red light. No, they don't care.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I got you in before you.
Speaker 7: Oh, I know, you got a kind of call us. This is like a source spot with so many people.
Speaker 2: Okay, well thanks Audrey, talk soon. All right, all right, we're gonna stick with this into the eleven o'clock hour. Angelo and Tim you stay there. I got lines at six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty and at six one, seven, nine, ten thirty