Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's time. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, October eighth.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We'relive everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Leaving my house this morning, it was a little bit foggy and spooky.
Speaker 4: I love it when it's that way.
Speaker 1: Like I'm from Oregon and so we get this thick, thick fog and we just don't get it that often down here. So it was just in my hood when I came outside this morning and I was like, oh, I should have my Halloween decorations up and after all the talk we've done about Halloweens, I don't have my decorations up here. It's on my to do list. It's coming soon. We got lots coming ahead on wake up Call. Of course, we're going to get you all caught up on everything that happened while you were sleeping. We're going to get you to your job or to your fun place wherever you're going today. We've got Nick standing by with traffic and we've got some really interesting people to talk to this morning, so we hope you'll stick stick around for all of wake Up Call.
Speaker 4: Here's what is ahead on wake up Call.
Speaker 1: Hundreds of pro Palestinian protesters have marked the one year anniversary of the Hamas massacre in Israel by marching around the USC campus. Demonstrators chanted things like free, Free, Free Palestine, and from the River to the Sea, Palestine will be free.
Speaker 4: Counties along Florida's west.
Speaker 1: Coast have in order to evacuate as Category four Hurricane Milton moves across the Gulf of Mexico. It's expected to make landfall late tomorrow or early Thursday sustained winds or one hundred and fifty five miles per hour. The storm is expected to weaken a bit before it hits the coast. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan about how Florida is getting ready for the storm, and then at five twenty that's it in just a couple of minutes. And then at five twenty we're gonna be talking with ABC's Karen Travers about the White House's response to Hurricane Helene and.
Speaker 4: The political show it has become.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Dodgers pitcher Walker Bueller has had his one hundred thousand dollars watch stolen at Santa Anita Park. Fully say, a group surrounded Bueller and his wife at the racetrack over the weekend.
Speaker 4: One of them took his watch.
Speaker 1: Bueller's starting tonight with the Dodgers played the Padres in Game three of the NLDS in San Diego. Remember how the Biden administration passed that plan to cap late fees for credit cards. Well, companies are finding new ways around it. Joel Larsgard is going to tell us about that right before the top of the hour. And at the bottom of the hour, you've heard our KFI in the sky buzzing around the skies of southern California. But who knew Will Coleschreiber could sing and dance too, And we've got tickets so you can see him sing and dance. It's all coming up on wake Up Call. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man has been heard in an explosion at a house in Long Beach.
Speaker 5: Surveillance video shows the top of the home as it completely blows out, sending debrief flying in every direction. Jose Savalla lives across the street and says he saw the man standing in the wreckage, waving his arm as if to say he was okay.
Speaker 6: He dives his arms and he's uh fore head mmmm burned, but not the.
Speaker 3: Just the schemes.
Speaker 5: Savala says he started smelling gas Saturday night, smelled it again Sunday night, and then the house exploded yesterday morning. Long Beach Fire says the front house has been yellow tagged and it's not clear exactly what caused the explosion. Chris Adler KFI News.
Speaker 1: News brought to you by ruterhroo dot com. The LAPD has fallen short of its recruitment goals again, even after spending thirty five thousand dollars a month on recruitment advertising. The LA Personnel Departments Aaron McGraney says, even when applicants make it to the end of the process, the department is not converting them.
Speaker 7: We're looking at record number of candidates that have made it all the way through the process. Get to the part where Captain Pattiel gives them a job offer and then they decline.
Speaker 1: McCraney, who's a former police officer, says racial justice protests and the pandemic in twenty twenty have changed the way younger professionals view police work. City Council has asked for a report on how to improve the hiring process. The War in Ukraine and truthfulness have been talked about in the CBS sixty Minutes special with Vice President Harris and running mate Tim Walls. Harris's former President Trump's comments that he would end the war in Ukraine on day one are about Ukraine surrendering.
Speaker 3: Ukraine must have a say in the future of Ukraine.
Speaker 4: When asked last night about some of his false statements, Walls said people know the difference getting a.
Speaker 3: Date wrong by a rather than a pathological liar like Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Says he keeps his word. The Mega Millions Lottery is changing. Lotto officials say the game that's played in forty five states is going to start costing five dollars starting in April. The lottery is lead director Josh Johnston says players are going to benefit from improved odds with a built in multiplier to boost any non jackpot win with.
Speaker 8: The new game change comes obviously higher jacko jackpot that will grow faster, as well as more lower tier prizes.
Speaker 1: He says the changes will also lead to better odds and more billionaires and millionaires. So, right now, the tickets are two dollars, but starting in April, they go up to five dollars.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Nick Pouliochini, youre going to buy him?
Speaker 3: No? I haven't bottom to this point.
Speaker 4: How you I buy the Mega Millions but it's two bucks. I don't know if I'm going to do it when it's five dollars, because.
Speaker 3: That's always the thing. I know, you got to play to win. But I've never played so and I.
Speaker 4: Don't have any more money than you. So right, you're smarter than me.
Speaker 1: All Right, it's five oh eight on your Tuesday morning wake up call, and we've got a big storm to talk about.
Speaker 4: But first, Jim, are you gonna buy five dollars Mega Million's tickets for me? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Just one?
Speaker 4: Do you play the lottery sometimes?
Speaker 3: We have a little pool going to New York.
Speaker 4: Oh well, tickets are going up from two dollars a piece of five dollars.
Speaker 3: Are you serious? Yeah? Geez, no, I'm.
Speaker 4: Not Okay, there you have it.
Speaker 3: Five bucks.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's get down to serious stuff.
Speaker 1: We talked yesterday when Hurricane Milton was a category three.
Speaker 4: In a matter of hours.
Speaker 1: It blew up to a category five. It's back down to a four, but still it's gonna be a big one.
Speaker 3: It is. It's going to be really powerful in terms of a size.
Speaker 9: If you look from it from edge to edge, you know, think about the edges of a frisbee. It's not as big as Helene was, and it's moving quite quickly, so it's a compact storm, but it's very, very powerful. They went up to category five status as you point out there Amy, with winds of around a high eighty miles per hour. Part of the eye wall began to collapse last night. It's down to one hundred and forty five miles per hon, which is still a category four status. But these categories are sort of misleading. If you're right at the point of landfall and catching one hundred forty one hundred and forty five mile in our wind, that's going to be devastating.
Speaker 3: So evacuations.
Speaker 9: I was just listening to the governor Ron Desanta's talking about the evacuations that are in place, and people are heating those orders and getting out, getting off the coastline, heading north out of the peninsula, or heading to one of the shelters being operated by counties and by the state all over this area. So people are heating the warnings. This could be the worst storm to hit this particular region since nineteen twenty one.
Speaker 4: Hey, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: When they put people or ask people to go to shelters, are they talking like stadiums and gyms and arenas or where do you put all those people if they can't leave the area.
Speaker 9: Well, there are some church basements that will offer themselves up as potential shelter. Is there whatever building is fortified and can stand withstand how powerful win. The governor was just saying that there are big warehouse structures designed to withstand hurricane category five, the hurricanes, they'll hold ten thousand people some of them. Well, so there are facilities to make people safe. The good thing about this storm is that since it is moving fairly quickly, it's going on along what is now twelve miles per hour. That's quick for a storm like this. So once it blasts the shore here on the Gulf Coast, it's going to start to weaken. It's going to head straight across the peninsula, probably come out on the other side somewhere or around Orlando, but even Orlando will be having tropical storm force maybe even hurricane force wins from this. And the big issue is that it comes so soon after Hurricane Helene, less than two weeks ago. And even though we've focused so heavily on western North Carolina and the devastation.
Speaker 3: To that part of the world.
Speaker 9: This storm Helena is it was coming up the Gulf coast to Florida, was causing storm surge damage here and people have been cleaning up their damaged properties in the last two weeks from that, you know, pulling up a coal carpet, soaked carpet, rolling it up, putting it out on the sidewalk for to be picked up. You know, furniture, appliances, all that stuff is still sitting there. It hasn't been picked up yet. So once Milton comes in with its one hundred thirty hundred and fifty mile an hour winds, all that stuff becomes projectiles. So the governor has demanded that the landfills stay open twenty four to seven, that the pickup of all that debris, you know, intensifies so that the streets are clear, the sidewalks are clear, and the potential debris is gone. The projectiles aren't there.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're in Tampa. I know we've got to let you go because you're a busy man this morning. But is the weather has it turned yet or are you still waiting because it's still like four or five hundred miles off shore.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know, it's it's cloudy here, but kind of pleasant outside. Nice and you know, in advance of this, so we'll start seeing some rain later today, but the landfall is expected sometime Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, the column before the storm, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 3: Ran.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former La City councilman Jose Weezar has started serving his thirteen year prison sentence for taking bribes from developers and cheating on his taxes. Weez Are surrounded to the US Bureau of Prisons yesterday and is in a low security prison in Santa Barbara County. Weezare was also ordered to pay more than four hundred thousand dollars in restitution to the City of La and almost forty thousand to the IRS. Weezar's co defendant, former La Deputy Mayor Raymond Chan, was sentenced Friday to twelve years in federal prison for acting as the go between and Huisar's one and a half million dollar city hall pay to play scheme. An office tower in downtown La could soon become property of La County.
Speaker 10: The county government could end up relocating from its home on Temple Street to the gas company tower on Fifth Street. The Board of Supervisors later today will consider a formal notice of intent to purchase the fifty two story building for no more than two hundred million dollars. That building fell into receivership in the spring when its owner defaulted on debt associated with it. If the notice is approved, the county is expected to take public comment on the possible purchase in November before moving forward with buying it.
Speaker 3: In downtown La. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News, gasoline prices in the US have dropped a little more in the past.
Speaker 11: Week, despite worries about the Mideast situation, sending crude oil prices a little higher lately. Gasoline prices in the US dropped on average four cents a gallon over the past week, says the Energy Department.
Speaker 1: But ABC's Chuck Siebertson says gas in California is still more expensive than anywhere else in the US. Lucky ess huh. The average is four to sixty nine for a gallon of regular unleaded in the state. It's about four to fifty eight in La County and four fifty two in Orange County, although I have to tell you I've seen it a lot lower around LA So keep your eyes peeled.
Speaker 4: It's still high.
Speaker 1: But better log into KFIAM six forty dot com. I think you're gonna like this, and that's where you can enter for a chance to win a VIP experience at the Manhattan Beach Food and Wine Festival. I love food and wine festivals featuring the best chefs in North America. It's coming to Manhattan Village this Friday and Saturday. Now, the contest ends tonight at midnight, so you need to get on this one and log onto KFIAM six forty dot com. And here's what's in the VIP package. Two VIP tickets to opening night on Friday, October eleventh, two VIP tickets to the grand tasting on Saturday, October twelfth, Tonight Hotels Day at the West Drift, Manhattan Beach. That's for Friday and Saturday night. Plus you get a golf cart, curtesive e, three vehicles, five hundred dollars spending spree at Manhattan Village, and a private tasting with our very own Savedra.
Speaker 4: That's probably the best part, right.
Speaker 1: Don't miss Southern California's newest, most notable, world class culinary festival, featuring unlimited tastings from top chefs, wines, spirits, cocktails, beer, non alcoholic options, and more. Tickets are on sale now and include limited food, include unlimited food and drinks. You can buy your tickets today at Mbfoodinwine dot com or go to KFI AM six forty and enter to win the massive VIP experience again. The deadline is tomorrow at midnight, so you got to do it quickly. First responders from La County Fire are headed to Atlanta to assist in Hurricane Milton recovery efforts. About half of the forty five member urban Search and Rescue team left Saturday. They're driving across the country with equipment to Georgia. The rest of the team members flew out yesterday afternoon. The powerful hurricane expected to make landfall tomorrow or when Thursday morning. New Pole suggests support for a sales taxi increase in La County to fund homeless initiatives has gained support. Measure A would double a quarter cent increase in the city sales tax and it would generate an estimated one billion dollars annually. The measure has forty nine percent support according to the UC Berkeley poll. It needs fifty percent to pass. Tesla has a big reveal coming up this week as it takes the wraps off its Robotaxi. That's going to happen on Thursday. The event is set to take place at Warner Brothers Discoveries Movie Studios in Burbank at six oh five. Is handle on the news. Well, we're living about as long as we're going to say the experts. We'll talk more about that right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, the White House is fired back against former President Trump and others claims that FEMA money is being spent on illegal immigrants instead of Hurricane Heleen.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I mean, this has been a multi day thing where the administration, through tweets from the FEMA account, the FEMA administrative has been out there doing interviews pushing back very strongly about what they say is disinformation, misinformation, just flat out falsehoods about what the federal government has available right now for people who need immediate resources, and how the Department of Homeland Security can spend money. And you know, this is all in response to what has been in a large part, you know, the former President Donald Trump putting out there that people can only get seven hundred and fifty dollars now if they've been impacted by Hurricane Helene, and that the federal government is spending FEMA relief money on migrants instead of storm survivors. So two things, you know, One that seven hundred and fifty dollars is just immediate, go get this right now.
Speaker 12: You're entitled to this to help you get up on your feet in the immediate days hours after the storm hit.
Speaker 13: And also that there are two different buckets of funding through the Homeland Security Department, and that it's not being spent right now on a migrant response we saw the homelands. Excuse me, the FEMA administrator, yes, very strongly pushing back on this, and also Vice President Harris saying that what Donald Trump and others are saying is extraordinarily irresponsible and that people need to know what resources are available to them and it's important that they apply for that assistance.
Speaker 1: Okay, but to drill into it, just a schmidge because I watched Diana chris Well talking about it. There is beeam of money that goes to illegal immigrants, but it comes from a different pot, a disaster relief, so.
Speaker 13: Under the Department of Homeland Security. So when Congress allocates funding for the year, there's funding that goes to each agency. Homeland Security gets their money, and then there is money that goes to FEMA, and money from there goes to emergency response for migrant relief and what they're doing in some cities.
Speaker 12: There is another.
Speaker 13: Bucket of money that is specifically.
Speaker 12: For natural disaster relief.
Speaker 13: They're not taking away money from that right now in order to handle and support migrant response.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So just yeah, because I heard Deana chris Well and I was like, well, she did say that FEMA money does go to them.
Speaker 4: But I get it.
Speaker 1: There's different buckets, and so that's what needs to be clarified. And then moving on as we look at Hurricane Milton, which is powering toward.
Speaker 4: Florida.
Speaker 1: There there's I hate how this is all getting politicized. But Creint Jean Pierre wouldn't confirm that President Biden or Vice President Harris had talked to Governor Ron DeSantis. And are they not reaching out as Desanti's not taking the calls because they're both saying different things.
Speaker 12: Yeah. No, the White House definitely reached out.
Speaker 13: They reached out last week and the President was of course in Florida late last week to survey damage, and they invited Dissenttis to join the President down there, and then he.
Speaker 12: Did not accept that invitation.
Speaker 13: The White House made very clear yesterday that they had reached out, and as Korean put it, it's up to the governor to connect at that point with the white House. They did talk last night. The President spoke with Florida Governor Drun DeSantis last night as well as the mayor of Tampa. They talked about the recovery efforts from Helene and what the preparations are from Milton. The Vice President also reached out to DeSantis, and his office put out yesterday you know, sources close to his office were saying that he would not take that call because he thought it was political. She responded, you know, criticizing that, and then he later went on Fox News multiple times saying that she has no role in this, she has not contributed anything to this, and basically said she is playing political games.
Speaker 12: I think the White House will be feisty on this today. We've asked the question.
Speaker 13: But you know, they have a Category four or five storm heading their way and the White House reaching out to offer support, would you know, I think they'd be expected that the phone call would be answered.
Speaker 12: On the other end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And then how's the White House responding to Majorcis's comment that FEMA was running out of money.
Speaker 12: I mean, they need more funding.
Speaker 13: You know, Congress only funded the government for a short time. Remember September thirtieth, they got to having set down threat. Yeah, the Continuing Resolution, Like it's not a full year of funding. So they do want Congress to come back and address this bigger issue because they don't have the large number that they're going to need for rebuilding recovery. But also concerned about they have two major back to back disasters within one week and they're worried about resources right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's interesting too, and just an observation they had predicted and they've been talking about how this was supposed to be like one of the most active hurricane seasons that we've seen in years and years. I don't know that I'm surprised, but maybe a little surprised that Congress didn't take it up earlier and go, hey, let's set this money aside because it looks like it's going to be a bad season. Yeah, maybe that's asking too much to have them plan for the future, right probably, Okay, that's my thought. Not Karen Drivers. Karen, thank you so much for the information. We appreciate it. Hundreds of pro Palestinian protest have marched around USC to mark one year since Hamas attacked Israel on October seventh.
Speaker 6: The group chanted wave signs and blocked an intersection at one point. This protester says liaisons were on scene to speak with law enforcement.
Speaker 4: Everything went really smoothly.
Speaker 5: We had very limited interaction with police, limited interaction with campus police.
Speaker 6: The protests yesterday lasted for about two hours. The group says it was demonstrating against a year of ongoing genocide at USC Blake Trolley kf I News.
Speaker 1: George's Supreme Court has reinstated the state's six week abortion ban. The ruling yesterday overturned a lower court ruling that struck the ban down. The six week ban will now remain in effect while the Georgia Supreme Court considers the state's appeal of last week's decision. George's abortion ban law took effect in twenty twenty two. Well Swifties can breathe a sigh of relief. Taylor swift As Return has returned to Aerostadium to watch your boyfriend Travis Kelcey and his Chiefs beat New Orleans twenty six thirteen in Monday Night football. She has missed the last two games, and that fueled rumors that there was trouble in Paradise between Taylor and Travis. She is on a break from her Eras tour. She's going to be back on stage for the first of three shows Friday night at hard Rock Stadium in Miami. An explosion has injured a person and destroyed a house in Long Beach. The house that blew up yesterday around eleven am was behind the main house. It was an EIGHTYU unit. Officials say the explosion was likely because of a gas leak from an appliance, but they are still investigating. The injured person was taken to a trauma center being treated for burns. With four weeks until election day, a new poll out of UC Berkeley shows Prop thirty six could be headed towards passage. The poll show sixty percent support reinstating penalties for certain drug and theft defenses that were downgraded to misdemeanors under Prop forty seven, twenty one percenter against it, nineteen percent are undecided. Tennis great Billy Jean King is going to be waving to the crowds on New Year's Day. She's been named the Grand Marshall of the twenty twenty five Tournament of Roses Parade.
Speaker 4: The theme of this year's parade best day ever at.
Speaker 1: Five point fifty Thinking about changing jobs, Joel Larsgard is going to tell us how that could cost you thousands and thousands of dollars in the long run.
Speaker 10: Lockb Lady June Night.
Speaker 1: Lock from October tenth through the twentieth Altadina Music Theater presents the spectacular musical Guys and Dolls. It's at the historic Charles Barnsworth Amphitheater And who knew. Not only does this guy fly over the skies of southern California for us every day and help you get where you're going, he.
Speaker 4: Sings and dances too. Let's say good morning to Will Coleschreiber Morning.
Speaker 3: Will, good morning.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, I should not be so myself as a dancer. I'm just gonna put that out there right now. I sing, I act, I try not to hurt myself.
Speaker 4: You are a singer and attempted dancer.
Speaker 3: Then attempted dancer.
Speaker 2: Yes, I get to play Lieutenant brand again, the cop who's trying to round up all these pesky gamblers. In Guys and Dolls. It's a great classic musical from the fifties. And as you heard, you had Frank Sinatra there and Marlon Brando. They did the movie back in the fifties. And yeah, it's great stuff, good stuff, And it's right there. It's Broadway under the Stars. It's a great environment, that little park there.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the Broadway under the Stars part, because I love the idea of an outdoor theater.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 2: We had our first tech run through last night, and you know it's right there in an amphitheater.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you. I didn't even know this Amphitheater existed.
Speaker 4: I did not know either.
Speaker 3: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you if you're on the Q ten and you take Lake towards the mountains and just go all the way to the end of Lake Avenue, it's right there.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the sets are out there.
Speaker 2: It's gorgeous that you can bring your own dinner, you can picnic there. There's gonna yeah, they will sell alcohol there on at the location.
Speaker 3: You can't be yob, but everything else you can be yo.
Speaker 2: And and there's gonna be a little pre show entertainment.
Speaker 3: It's the next two weekends. The show time is.
Speaker 2: Seven thirty there at the park and at seven o'clock they have a little pre show entertainment.
Speaker 3: The entertainers coming in different ones each night. But it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Really fun and and if the weather is anything like it was last night, it's gonna be absolutely perfect for sitting out.
Speaker 3: And watching a show.
Speaker 1: Okay, so for the new generation, because Guys and Dolls came out in like the fifties or something, right, Yeah, and then it went on was it a movie first and then became a Broadway show?
Speaker 2: It was a Broadway show Broadway show and ran very very long time on Broadway, then became a movie, and yeah, it's basically it's about this certain time in the fifties in New York when there were gamblers and showgirls. And in this particular when there's two, it focuses on two couples. One of one couple has been they've been engaged for fourteen years, and she wants to know why the heck they aren't getting married. He loves gambling, That's why the heck they aren't getting married. And then the other couple, Sky Masterson and Sarah. She works in a mission, you know, like kind of like a Salvation Army type mission, and you know he's trying to woo her. Basically there's a bet involved. He's trying to deliver some some sinners that she can convert and save their souls, and she wants really nothing to do with him because you know he's a gambler. But as always, you know, love, love ensues and hopefully happiness ever after.
Speaker 4: Love and singing and dancing and hilarity.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it is good, great music, great music.
Speaker 2: Besides Left to Be a Lady, There's a Bushel and a which, believe it or not, was a huge hit.
Speaker 3: Back in the fifties.
Speaker 2: And and yeah, so you'll recognize the music for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect. And so it's this weekend and next weekend. What day are the shows like, Friday through Sunday.
Speaker 3: Thursday through Sunday Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so eight performances this weekend and next weekend Thursday through Sunday, seven o'clock, basically there at the park in at the very end of Lake Avenue up in the hills.
Speaker 1: I love it, and I got to fight. How long have you been acting? I did not know this about you until I found out about this this.
Speaker 3: Rock I've been. I've been singing and acting all the way back from high school. So yeah, I been. I've been doing it for a while.
Speaker 2: I've taken very long breaks because one has to make money now and then. But yeah, yeah, so it's it's I've been doing it for a while.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, And your chance to go see Will Coleschreiber singing and acting and trying to dance on stage is starting this weekend.
Speaker 4: And where do we go to get tickets?
Speaker 2: It is out Dina Musictheater dot com, Altadena Musictheater dot com. And I should mention one more thing, one more person in the Kfi family is actually involved in this. Mark Thompson, our buddy who sits in on the Tim Conway Junior Show, is voicing something has provided a recorded voice a very important part of the story in this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we will see him, we'll hear him exact.
Speaker 3: Well, he's going to show up at one of the shows.
Speaker 2: I don't know which one, but yeah, he will be there in spirit and invoice.
Speaker 1: All right, well, I think we should give away some tickets so somebody can go see you.
Speaker 4: Okay, so love it.
Speaker 1: Altadena Music Theater dot Com is where you go buy tickets. But we have a pair of tickets for you to go see Guys end Dolls and our very own will Cole Schreiber color number ten at eight hundred five to zero one KFI. That's one eight hundred five two zero one five three four for a pair of tickets to Guys and Dolls at the historic Charles Farnsworth Amphitheater shows from October tenth through the twentieth and again. If you want to buy tickets Altadena Music Theater dot com or call now eight hundred five to two zero one CAFI eight hundred five to two zero one, five three four, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Will, thank you. I hope to see you there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Hurricane Helene cleanup has been put on hold as people in Florida get ready for Hurricane Milton. ABC's Victor Akendo says downed trees and debris are all over the roads of Treasure Island near Tampa.
Speaker 3: The way one neighbor described some of this stuff could get picked up and act as a battering ram.
Speaker 6: It could act as projectiles, no doubt, very dangerous in those crews, They've got their work cut.
Speaker 3: Out for them.
Speaker 1: The National Hurricane Center says that Milton is a Category four storm wins about one hundred and fifty five miles per hour. It is expected to be a Category three when it makes landfall tomorrow or early Thursday. A massive storm surge and widespread flooding from heavy rain are predicted. Vice President Harris is called former President Trump incredibly irresponsible for his criticism of the federal response to Hurricane Helen. Trump has accused the federal government of intentionally withholding aid to Republican disaster victims. He also claims FEMA has run out of money because it went to programs for illegal immigrants in the US. FEMA has a separate funding pool for disaster relief, which Homeland Security has said does not have enough money to make it through hurricane season. Hundreds of pro Palestinian protesters and marched around USC's campus to mark the one year anniversary of the October seventh attack on Israel. Group members say they wanted to demonstrate against one year of ongoing genocide in Gaza. People waived signs, chanted and blocked in intersection at one point. The acting leader of Hesbela says even more Israelis will be displaced as the terrorist group extends its rocket fire deeper into Israel. Shaik nine Cassam says Hebela's capabilities are still intact despite weeks of heavy Israeli air strikes and the killings of Hezbollah commanders. A retired airline pilot has been cleared of DUI charges in San Bernardino County based on a misread decimal.
Speaker 14: A breathalyzer reading of point zero one three is almost seven times less than the point zero eight legal limit. Point one to three is almost double, and that meant a night in jail for Air Force veteran Mark Winners. Lawyer Daniel Mossat says buddycam video showed the point zero one three that night. In twenty twenty two, the Redlands police officer writes point zero one three in the report, which is approved by his sergeant.
Speaker 6: The DA receives this report with the correct number on it, and they still press charges.
Speaker 3: Nobody read the report.
Speaker 14: The San Bernardino County DA last week declared Winters factually innocent. Redlands paid the guy a one hundred fifty thousand dollars settlement. Corbin Carson k if I.
Speaker 1: News Dodgers fans gonna have trouble getting into Petco Park for Game three the National League Division Series tonight. The Padres organizations only selling tickets to customers who can verify they live in San Diego County. The same effort to preserve home field advantage was employed in the twenty twenty two National League Division Series when the Padres beat the Dodgers three games to one. Well, Game three is tonight in San Diego. It's the National League Division Series, and since you probably can't get a ticket, why not just listen to it. First pitch goes out at six o'clock and you can listen to the game on AM five seventy LA Sports and in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports powered by Zenchi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and Easy. Some of music's biggest names are going to come together to help victims of Hurricane Helen, even as Hurricane Milton motors toward Florida. The Concert for Caroline Carolina will bring together Luke, Colmbs, Eric Church, James Taylor, and Billy Strings. They're all taking the stage in Charlotte on October twenty six. More performers are expected to be added later. Tickets are going on sale Thursday. Former President Trump is headed to Coachella Saturday for a rare rally in California. It's expected to, of course, overwhelmingly Democrat in California for the presidential election four weeks from today. Trump has been to California for fundraising events several times, but usually doesn't do rallies. Your chance to become a lotto millionaire is getting more expensive. Mega Millions has announced the cost of a lottery ticket is going to go it from two dollars to five dollars starting in April. Officials say players won't mind because the increase will lead to bigger prizes and more frequent winners. I think that's a good place to start with our very own how to money guy, Joel Larsgard, Should we buy lots of lottery tickets?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 15: I mean, yeah, that's the quickest way to building tons of wealth. Why not just win it in one fell swoop?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Although I have to tell you my brother and I were talking.
Speaker 1: We're just talking about, you know, the high cost of living here in California and the high cost of housing and how you know, how you have to earn like one hundred and eighty thousand dollars to make enough money to afford any kind of a mortgage in California.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: And Steve said, you know, at this point, I'm thinking lottery might be part of my retirement plans.
Speaker 15: I know, it's good you're getting it something though, Amy that this is like a for real thing. I think people feel this existential angst and they're like, well, the slow path to wealth, that's just not going to work for me because I'm not going to get where I want to go in enough time. And so I think people do either kind of write it off all together, or they try to go for what's the quick hit, which is something like the lottery. And the average person who plays the lottery, I want to say, they spend something like twenty dollars a week on lottery tickets and eighty dollars a month. If you were to invest that and compound it, it sounds ridiculous me saying it, but it really will lead to a reasonable chunk of money in retirement. So I think people are often in this sort of nihilistic mindset and that's what's leading to maybe overplaying something like the lottery, not realizing that the slow play, over time, it actually is going to amount to something meaningful.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I didn't think of as because I always think of it as like a Starbucks, I buy like one or two tickets.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another thing.
Speaker 15: I don't want to be the guy because they're are these people in the personal finance space who like condemn you forgetting an avogado toast or a latte or something like that, and there is it's kind of ridiculous and it's overblown. It's not like most people are getting three lattes a day from Starbucks. But I went to I took my girls to Starbucks recently, and I was like, wait, that was kind of expensive. And when you do actually run the numbers and think about, Okay, what if this little drip thing in my budget that's happening consistently, what if I were to eliminate it and invest in said, And I don't mean to take everything good and decent and lovely out of.
Speaker 3: Your life in order to build wealth, but like.
Speaker 15: If this has become a habit, something you do every day, maybe it doesn't feel as special anymore. And so maybe you can cut back from doing that thing five or six times a week to one time a week. Invest the rest of that money, and you're like, it is amazing. Like those those dollars and cents add up. It seems people laugh it off, but it's true. The little purchases of the little things we do, they do matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of dollars and cents adding up, we have talked in the past about how the credit card companies were going to be limited in how much they could charge for late fees, and they were going to reduce the fees to like eight dollars or something like that or was it. Yeah, but and we thought, isn't this a cool thing? But the credit card companies are finding ways around it.
Speaker 3: Of course, that is what they do.
Speaker 15: They are crafty, they are smart, they are profit driven entities, and so yeah, the Consumer Financial Production Bureau essentially issued this rule saying, listen, we want to cap late fees at eight dollars. So if you are late paying your bill, I think the average late fee was somewhere in the forty dollars range, and they said, that's egregious.
Speaker 3: The credit card companies are.
Speaker 15: Taking advantage of people who are paying late, paying their bills late, and so instead of the forty dollars, which is which is going to add up for somebody who's consistently late, we want to cap that at eight bucks. And when we talked at the time, I told you, hey, I get the reasoning behind this, and yeah, it's obviously terrible if someone's cause stillly late paying their bill that they're racking up late fees of that to that extent. But the credit card the credit card companies are going to find find some way to crawl to claw back this income, and they're they're doing that. There was this article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday talking about highlighting some of the ways that the big credit card issue issuers are planning ahead. Even though this this CFPB attempt to reduce late fees is essentially stuck in legal limbo. It's in the court system right now. We don't know what's going to pan out. They are starting to issue new fees, different fees, so fees if you get paper statements for instance, So definitely if that if your credit card company is charging you for that, opt for digital statements and save them as a PDF if you feel like you need to have them for your records. Others, other credit card companies are even raising interest rates. And you might say, well, the Fed just lowered interest rates, it would make sense that the credit card companies are going to lower interest rates too and give us all a little bit of a break. Alas, that's not what's happening, because they're trying to compensate for this other loss and income.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we knew that this was going to happen, but we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did know.
Speaker 15: And it's one of those things where I am actually I'm a fan. I say this all the time. I'm a fan of credit cards. I think they're one of the best ways to pay their extra protections for you legally. If you pay with a credit card, it also means that you if something happens with a purchase and you have to challenge that purchase like you've had to do Amy, which we've talked about, you you're not out the money yet, you're not trying to claw money back that left your account already.
Speaker 3: And so I think credit cards is plus.
Speaker 15: When you talk about the rewards that credit cards offer, they can be significant, and so you have to at least think about credit cards. But they're a tool, and they can be used well and they can.
Speaker 3: Be used poorly.
Speaker 15: And so when you think about these fees and these other ways that credit card companies are trying to get you, you have to play the game well, you have to outsmart the fox essentially.
Speaker 4: And how am I going to play the game well, So.
Speaker 15: That just means I call it the Golden rules of plastic and that means not spending money that you don't have because you're using plastic instead. And I think people have learned that over time. But the truth is only fifty percent of Americans pay their bill on time and in full. And when it comes down to it, the crux of the matter is that pay your credit card balance on.
Speaker 3: Time and in full, no matter what.
Speaker 15: If you don't have the money to pay for it, don't buy the thing, even if you can put it on credit.
Speaker 3: And so a big chunk of people say, actually, a.
Speaker 15: Large, large reason why I'm in credit card debt is because of non essential things. You might think it's people trying to buy groceries, but for the most, for the vast majority people who are in credit card debt, it's a vacation. It is putting extra things that you wanted, not necessities, on the credit card. You've got to limit those things if you're going to use credit cards, because it's not worth the interesting fees that come along with it if you don't pay it off on time.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's look move over real quick before we run out of time to because we want to talk about changing jobs. A lot of people are thinking at any given time, you know what I'm done with this I want a new job, but it might not be such a great idea.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting. There's like flip sides to this coin.
Speaker 15: There's been data in the past, and especially kind of post COVID where jumping ship and changing jobs and it netted people significant pay increases. Right especially in that incredibly tight labor market, people were saying, I think I'm gonna go check out this other company or maybe even change careers, and because there was such a dearth of workers, people were getting seeing significant pay increases. But there's this new study from Vanguard that finds that when people switch jobs, even if they do get a bigger paycheck, they often end up saving less for retirement. They're putting less away in their four one K. So let's say they've been at it's I think it's this sort of inertia bias thing, and so, hey, I'm in this job and get over time. I've I've started to save twelve fourteen percent of my pay into.
Speaker 3: My four one K.
Speaker 15: I got this new job and maybe they launched me at three percent. I'm not going to change it. Yeah, I was saving more before, but now you know, I'm just going to go with what they signed me up at and so this can be ultimately like a six figure mistake, costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars down on the line by going from fourteen down to three. If you just if you haven't put the thought into it. When you trist jobs and you're making more money, that's great, but make sure your four O one K contributions are at least the same as you were doing at your former employer. Hopefully, especially if you're snagging more money, hopefully you're able to raise it by a percentage point or two as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so pay attention because they start yeutlow, but you can go and adjust that on your own.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 15: It's one of those things. It's inertia bias. I mean, that's a complete human tendency. Is to say, you sign me up at three, I'll leave it there. That must be good enough. But yeah, if you were contributing more before, you want to stay at that same rate in order to kind of continue to keep that savings rate up and continue to build wealth for your future.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And the other thing to remember that, like I know that I was playing with the numbers, like how much can I afford to put away and I made an adjustment, and I was like, it barely even shows on your paycheck because it's all pre tax money.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's the thing is if you do every time you get a raise, if you bank half of that, right, So, oh, I got a five percent or six percent raise, I'm gonna put I'm gonna up my four one K contribution by three percent. You're not gonna feel it at all. In fact, you're still going to feel like you got a little bit of a raise. You're going to see a little more of that take home pay. But the cool thing is you're you're ramping up your retirement saving contribution. So if you do that consistently over time, it feels like barely a pinch. But ultimately, at the end of the day or at the end of decades, I should say, you're gonna have a lot more money to show for it.
Speaker 4: All Right.
Speaker 1: For more great advice on how to best take care of your money and hopefully earn more money and save more money, you can listen to the host of how to Money on KFI Sundays from noon to two. It's our very own Joel lars Guard. You can also follow him at how to Money Joel.
Speaker 4: Thanks Joel, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Amy appreciate it.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST H D two, Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland weather from KFI morning low clouds than sunny skies. I was in the seventies at the beaches, eighties for Metro La and Inland O c low to mid nineties in the valleys Inland Empire and Anelope Valley Sunday after morning clouds tomorrow and through the rest of the week with highs in the seventies and eighties at the beaches and Metro areas, eighties to mid nineties the Valleys I E and High Desert. It's sixty three in Diamond Bars, sixty three in Newport Beach, sixty two in Palmdale, and sixty one in Hollywood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen any time on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,