Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with Skip Ricter.
Speaker 2: Mills.
Speaker 3: What a trip.
Speaker 4: Just watch him as well. So many bird things to seep back, bass game almost not a side gas sun bean and.
Speaker 3: Well good morning starting, Good morning gardeners on a nice little saturday here. We've got some warm weather we're in the middle of right now, but boy'd be a good morning to get out there and enjoy. Enjoy being outside once. Unless you have headlights, you might want to wait just a little bit, but it's time to warm up and get ready for it. Let's talk about things that are of interest to you in gardening. What's going on in your yard right now? You got a question, give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four or make it easy, KTRH. Give us a call. We'll talk about the things that are of interest to you. I was hunting down a product the other day and uh, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was more widely available. It was a product for stopping regrowth of stumps and printing cuts and things like that. Because I've got a well, I've got a couple of things that are giving me some trouble with that. One is a crate myrtle. Crate myrtles are bad about re sprouting from the base and even from like if you cut off a limb of any size at all, you get resprouts all around where you cut it off. And there are hormones in the plant that can prevent that, and you can purchase and spray them on. One of them is called sucker stopper, and I see what's in there's several of them, something about stump ory sprouting as part of another one's name. Anyway, they work, and so I was trying to find that product spray on. In my case, it wasn't just a crape myrtle. It was a Vitex. Vitex is a beautiful blue blooming summer shrub slash tree. It's really kind of caught between the two. It's hard to get it to be one single trunk, although you can. I'm working on it right now, and I sucker type type reducing products are important if you're going to try to get it to be one trunk. But anyway, I've got one. I cut off all but one central trunk on and I'm trying to train it into a tree. I'm going to find out if it works before I tell you it works for sure. I think I can do it. We'll find out anyway. Bottom line is I couldn't find a product, and I went three different places looking around for the product, and finally I just, you know, I realized, if you're going to find something like that, where do you go for something that other people don't carry or even all the things that everybody carries. Southwest Fertilizer it's a corner of Businet and Runwick. Bob, you know, he's gosh. That place is now on it's seventieth year. By the way, Bob's not if you're listening, Bob, I just want to make sure we get that real clear, you and I both. There's somewhere south to seventy joking aside, It has been around for seventy years, and it's it's around for seventy years because they carry products people want, They treat people like they want to be treated, They have reasonable prices, and it just that's it. Friendly service, quality products and great selection. Corner Busnet and Renwick. Save yourself trouble running all over the place. Just go to Southwest and they're going to have it products like what I'm talking about for example. Then anyway it seems to be working so far, we're gonna we're gonna watch it and see how it goes. But that's a that's a pretty handy deal. It's kind of cool too, because you're basically taking a plant's natural hormones and you're turning it into something to help you get that plant to grow like you want it to be. By the way, of course, it's turf fertilizing season. Time to get out there and do that. You need to make sure you got what you need in order to fertilize. And if you go online to gardening with Skip dot com, that's my website, Gardening with Skip dot com, you'll find my schedules plural. There's one that is a lawn care schedule. It's mow water, fertilized air rate supplements, micro supplement. Well, that's on the schedule. The other one is what goes wrong with your lawn and what to do about it. That would be preventing weeds, that would be killing existing weeds, that would be dealing with diseases and dealing with insects for example. Both of those schedules are free. You can download them, you can stare at them on your computer or on your phone, whatever you won't do, and they work. By the way, while you're at Southwest, grab some of the Eagle turf fungicide if you're dealing with gray leaf spot. Gray leaf spot is a problem on Saint Augustine when the temperatures are mildly warm, not one hundred degrees and blazing dry. But when they're warm, they've heated up for summer, the beginning of summer which we're in now, and the humidity and surface. More importantly, the surface moisture on the grass blades is high. So if it rains a lot, which it did, we got seven inches a couple of weeks ago and saw a little bit of gray leaf spot showing up. If you water too often, I always tell you water deeply and infrequently. It's simple. How do you water your lawn? Two words, deeply, infrequently. When you water, give it a good soaking, then let it dry out and keep those grass blades as dry as you can for as long as you can. You can't control rain, but you can't control your irrigation. And when it stays wet, a lot and it's warm, gray leaf spots going to attack. And if you look at my schedule for plant problems, for lawn problems rather a gray leaf spots season is listed in there when it could occur. Sometimes you have a little it's not worth treating. But when you need to treat, Eagle turf Fungicide from Nitrofoss works. It is a systemic It moves into the plant and it sticks around, and it gives you an extended period of control as a result of that doesn't just wash off with the next train. So Eagle Turf Fungicide by Nitrofoss is a product that we would recommend for take the not take off the gray leaf spot. That's what I'm talking about right now. Anyway, it's easy to do, easy to do. Hey, when it comes to the lawns, I just I'll talk about this a little bit more later. I just have been working on a couple of lawns this season that we're trying to get in better order. And I'm going to talk a little bit about what do you do when you want to when you want or need to maybe don't want to, but need to replace a lawn. And there's some simple steps for doing that. Now, for those of you who already have a line, you need to think about getting that lawn in its top shape for summer. And the way we do that is by applying something that's gonna gradually be released over time. You don't want fast flushes of growth. Don't just dump a bunch of high nitrogen fertilizer at one time on your lawn. Get you some Nitrofoss Superturf. That's the silver bag Nitrofas Superturf nineteen four to ten. Put it down and it's going to be sixteen weeks of gradual feeding of your lawn. That's the way you want to do it. You're gonna find nitro Fass Superturf at places like Plants and things up in Brenham, Fisher's Hardware on Alexander down in Baytown, and Lake Hardware Clute on Dixie Drive as well. I'm gonna take a little break right now and we'll come back with your calls if you'd like to be first up. Seven one three two point two KTRH. I woke up into this week late in the week and I could not even whisper without coffee. I thought, oh boy, we got this thing called a radio show. To do I have you have to have a sick day? Knock on? What since I started doing Guarden Line, where I just literally couldn't do the show? Uh, And anyway, I thought, oh, this may be one of them. I may have my first one. But thanks to a good family doctor and some wonderful medications, I'm here. So we'll try. We'll see how coherent I can be today. But at least I got my voice back where we can talk. And by the way, if you like the talk seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two k t r H. If you've been down to in Chenny Gardens lately, you know I one of my favorite things that I like to do is to get out there and visit garden centers. And I do a lot. And it's not just because I do Garden Line or you know, for years it's County Agrolife Extension Horticulture with the texting and uh agrolife extension.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But I do it because I love to I just I love to get out and when I go to a garden center, I could easily lose an hour even if I've been to it many times before, just going around looking at plants, reading the tag seeing what's new. You know, there's this new variety of this or that species always coming on the market. Uh. So it makes it really makes it fun, I think, and I encourage you to be that kind of a garden uh business visitor. I just not just nurseries, but also garden supplies and tools suppliers. And I learned something every time. Absolutely do. You got to You have to have a great level of disinterest to not continually be learning as a gardener. And I mean that because when it comes to gardening, uh, there's always something new there just always is. And Channa Gardens is like a prime example of that. Every time I go into a Channa Gardens there are plants that I have not seen before because the industry is out there churning them out left and right. And by the way, the taxonomists are out there changing the name left and right too much to my chagrin. But anyway, the Chenna Gardens will give you the options that you have, by the way, by really nice, friendly staff that know what they're talking about. And I don't care what you're interested in. Maybe some new types of hydranges, maybe you're into hanging baskets. You know, I've been kind of pushing on you this year, saying you got to get out and do some containers. You are not going to believe the selection of containers. Every kind of plain old you know, terra cotta, but quality terracotta, not the cheap junk that you buy at some places. Quality terracotta. Talavera, the beautiful paint of Talavera, and all the inspiration you need. Go by and look at some of the submarines put together there. Look at the combo containers that she's built. I'm talking about everything from hanging baskets to upright containers, to things that are just unusual shapes and forms, almost like the container itself is another figurine in the garden. They've got all of that. And when it comes to color for summer, Boogainvilias got a bunch of desert rows in too. By the way, those are gorgeous. If you've never tried desert rows, that would be a new plant to take on. One time years ago, a wise man, a doctor Georgia A. Mckeachen, who was a pomology professor of mine at tex A and m He said, every year, you pick one plant and you learn all you can about it for the whole year. It's not that you only learn about one planet. It's just like and for me, I've done that. You know, I'll spend a whole year on a particular kind of plant, just learning and learning and learning all I can about that plant, and then the next year try something else. It doesn't have to be twelve months, but you get the idea and you just you just build, you build out your knowledge. Maybe you're really into African violets, or maybe you don't even know how to spell African violet, we'll start messing around. Learn about them, get one, play with it, try to propagate it. Things like that makes gardening really fun. Well in Chenni Garden's got you covered on all that. They're on the FM. They're on FM three point fifty nine on the Katie fullsher side of Richmond. You can go to in Jennigardens Richmond dot com and find out more. But the main thing is just go and today would be an outstanding day to get out and pay them a visit. Let's head out now to Spring, Texas and we're going to visit with CR this morning. Hello CR, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, suir, hey, good morning.
Speaker 3: Morning.
Speaker 6: All right, So I have a question, So what do you recommend as far as getting rid of the armadillas that are tearing up your lawn that are coming in and your flower beds. How do you get rid of the armadillos.
Speaker 3: There? There's there's not simple ways to do it. They're there because there's soft soil with earthworms or grubs or other things they're interested in eating. That's what they like, is those little soft bodied critters like that in the soil. That's why they root around looking for them. So what sometimes people say, well, you know, kill the grubs and they won't have anything to be Well, actually they will still they'll be earthwork. If you're watering and it's moist, you're gonna have earthworms and other things for them to look for. Plus it's easier to root their little nose through soft dirt than hard concrete clay. Uh. So that that leaves us CR with with capturing in a live trap and taking them somewhere else, relocating them to another location. The the those live traps can be baited.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's a public if you go to the Texas Wildlife Damage Management Service publications they're at I can tell you how to get to them in just a moment. But there's one on Armadilla's and it shows you how to set up a live trap. And basically what you've got is two boards to funnel the armadilla into the trap. They're bumbling little creatures, and so usually they go alongside the house or along a fence or something. You know, they tend to kind of not just wander aimlessly all through the yard, but they tend to have a way they travel, and you can sort of set up that those boards coming like a v outside out of that trap and lead them in. If you will take elbow macaroni like mac and cheese macaroni and just boil the macaroni and beef bull yon. It's like you've created some little grub like creatures by doing that, and you can drop one here, drop one there. Don't get them too full before they get in the trap, but you can lead them right into the live trap that way, and it makes it a little easier to catch them.
Speaker 8: That's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you go to a website, yeah, the website is Agrolife.
Speaker 2: Learn A g R I L I F E learned dot t A m U dot d U t A m U dot e d U is like Texas A and M university dot e d U, like all university websites in dot ed U.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, all right, that was very helpful.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Okay, good luck with that one. Appreciate your appreciate your call. Excuse me, alrighty uh yeah. Interesting thing what to do with armadillas. As a kid, we used to chase them and try to catch them. You could outrun them, but about the time you tried to stoop down and then they they get away from you again. And if you ever grab one by the tail, good luck. They're not light. Their tail is kind of tapered, so you're trying to hold onto it and it's slipping out of your hands. I don't know what we were going to do with them when we caught them, but we caught them, and then we kind of realized we didn't have anything to do with them, so let them go catch and release. You know, we are in nesting season still for many of our songbirds. I've got I have some swallows, barn swallows, that are nesting underneath our front porch, and we let them do that. We just love them. We love the songs that they little chirping sounds that they make there. I don't know if song is a good way to describe it, but we like them. And when the babies get old enough, they sit up on the edge of the nest and there's not likely have little wide fat smiles and you can look out the window and see them. But anyway, this is the time when a lot of birds are nesting, and the folks at wild Birds Unlimited have a perfect blend of seeds to provide all kinds of birds, many many kinds of birds what they need this Season's called Nesting Super Blend. You're only going to get it at Wildbird's Unlimited. Now. You can buy it in loose bags to put in any kind of feeder you got, and it also comes in seed cylinders that are compressed, And so if you're going to go on a little trup, a seed cylinder is a nice way to go because the birds kind of have to peck at it to get it out of there. It slows them down just a little bit. I mean, they'll clean I've got boy now that birds have found my feeders, they just are like lined up and waiting and so they will clean me out pretty quick here. So anyway, I like the seed cylinders too. Now there are six Wildbirds Stores Wilbirds Unlimited stores here in the greater Houston area. So you can find Wildbirds Unlimited in Kingwood. You can find Wildbirds Unlimited in clear Lake or in pair Land in Houston on the west side, when the southwest I both are bel Air and Memorial Dry both have wild Birds Unlimited stores. And then in Cypress on Barker Cypress that is another of the six wild Birds Unlimited. You can go to w b U dot com, w b U dot com forward Slash Houston to find the wild Birds Unlimited store near you. Let's head out now to a task casita and we're going to talk to Jim. Hey, Jim, good.
Speaker 10: Morning, Good morning, sir, thank you so much for taking a call.
Speaker 11: UH.
Speaker 10: Today's aeration day, going to errate the yards, all right, and we want we want to get with some of those weeds that are there facts a lot of beads and we want to feed the grass and what combination should we use today?
Speaker 3: All right? So are you going to do compost top dressing also or just aerration.
Speaker 10: Uh, just aerration.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you want to air rate and then you want to put down a barricade. Barricade from Nitrofoss is a weed prevention. Now have if you have you used barricade this spring already you.
Speaker 10: Know haven't used it, but okay I mentioned it last week also and just wondering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I just asked because you don't want to overdo anything, including barricade. So if you haven't used it yet, go ahead and put down barricade according to the label. Don't overdo it. The label amount is the right amount. You go underdo it or overdo it and you have problems, get as even of a spread as you can and then water it in with about a half inch of water. And this is after you've erated. Okay, you can put the barricade down. And if you haven't fertilized this year, you could also fertilize this year. And so if you wanted, you know, something that's going to be slower released to carry you through summer, that would be a good choice. Right now, I talk about the Nitrofoss superturf in the soilber bag is an excellent product for that. The folks at Nelson have a product that's called Bruce's Brew, and it is a combo. It gives you some fast release, so you can get a good quick boost, but then it spreads out where you're gonna get, you know, several months of feeding out of it over time too, so that's a good option as well. They're both on my schedule. And then water with about a half inch of water just to move the barricade into the soil surface and the fertilizer dissolve it and get it going down into into the soil a little bit, start to get it.
Speaker 10: Which can we get to Nelson brew?
Speaker 3: The Nelson Bruces Brew is widely available. I don't have right in front of me a list of everybody that carries it, but I bet I could pull one up here if I If I try, I'll see if I can get one up before we're done here. But anyway, there it's pretty widely available as well. Let's see you're calling from out at the task Asida. You might try. You've got some ACE hardware stores around you. I would I would probably give that one a try, and see ACE usually carries a pretty wide variety of things, and unfortunately it's gonna take me a while to find. I tell you what I'll do. We're gonna take a break here in a little bit and I will find some sources of Nelson plant food in the task Asta area. And I'll just say I'm on the air for you when we come back. How's that?
Speaker 10: Thank you, sir?
Speaker 3: Alrighty good? Well, you take care and I do appreciate your call. All right, We will be back in just a moment with that. Yeah, Nelson Bruce's Brew is an outstanding product. That combo of immediate release and slow release is good. It's got carbon nitrogen, carbon based nitrogen sources that also help beat microbes that are there present in the soil as well. It was time for me to take a break. We'll be back with your calls. If you would like to be one of the first up seven one three two one two kt r H. Now would be a good time to give us a call. All right, folks, welcome back to garden Lines. In answer to Jim's call, where to find Nelson plant food products like Russus Brew out in that area. Ace Hardware a task Asita on timber forest in Humble, Texas. Jim Ace Hardware a task Asita on timber Forest and Humble. They carry according to their website, Nelson's website, they carry the some of the Nelson plant food products. So that hopefully gets you off to a good start. Let's see here, We're going to go out to Brunham now and talk to Rodney. Hello Rodney, and welcome to garden Line. Thanks Jip.
Speaker 12: I'm having a problem with some first year guardena's. They bloom and the yellow the leaves.
Speaker 3: Are turning yellow.
Speaker 13: I have fed.
Speaker 12: Acid loving plant food, you know, water regularly. I just it just seems like from the get go the leaves started turning yellowing.
Speaker 3: Rodney, is it the leaves that at the ends of all the shoots that are yellowing or is it the leaves that are older further back the shoot that are yellowing?
Speaker 13: On you, I think it's it's it looks like out toward the ends.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, that is that is typical of iron deficiency. Iron deficiency can be caused by a lack of iron in the soil, but it can also because by high phos lack of iron in the soil. But you may have enough iron in the soil, but it's tied up because either the pH is high or the phosphorus is high. That's the middle number phosphorus. Now you mentioned you're using acid living fertilizer or as fertilizers for acid living plants. That's a good thing. You may need to use a keylated form of iron. Keylate is c A E L A t E. It's like it's it's spelled like chi late, but it's pronounced key late. It is an iron that has a little bodyguard around it that keeps the soul from tying it up so fast. I would try that and see if you see some benefits a little quick green up from that. Other longer term would be maybe continuing to use your acid loving plant fertilizers, but maybe even a little bit of sulfur to lower the pH of the soil. Just want to be real careful with that. If you wanted to send me a picture so I could look at it and make sure that what I'm picturing is what you're seeing, I'd be happy to take a look at it too. Where will the time that the key lated, You're going to find it all over the place. Any place that's you know, really into gardening, the independent garden centers, your ace hardware stores. A. Yeah, you're out there in Brenhams, so you know you're gonna find it, you know, if you if you can find a nice hearder, they probably have a keylated form out there. Plants and things on a Highway three sixty five might have it. I've been by there to check for that. But they carry a lot of things out there, and I know they carre some of our sponsor products at plant Plants and things as well by skip. I appreciate it, all right, sir, you take care. Thanks for the call. That is the case RCW Nurseries RCW Nursery is it's I love that garden center. I just first of all, I like the convenience of it. It's it's local. It's right where Tomo Barkway two forty nine comes into a eight, so it's really easy to get to. When you go to RCW, you're going to find everything that you're looking for. And they've got a Memorial Day sale that begins, well it has begun, and ten percent off all the krpe myrtles and roses ten percent off. So now they're a great time and it's still time. Get them in the ground, get them watered in, just help them along a little bit as the weather worms up. They'll be fine. Twenty percent off of their metal yard art, and that includes those metal arbors, metal benches, trellises to grow things on. Those are gorgeous. And they have other kinds of little metal yard art, you know, hangs on the walls, decorative. It's is really beautiful stuff. So stop by RCIW this weekend and take advantage of some of those Memorial weekend savings. And boy did they ever have an outstanding selection of crate myrtles. And remember when you buy a crate myrtle from Marcy W or wherever you get a crate myrtle, by the size that you want, don't you know? Natchez is a great beautiful crpe myrtle, wonderful tree disease resistant, thirty feet tall, beautiful white flowers and cinnamon colored bark. I love it. But if you've got a spot where you need a ten foot crpe myrtle, don't put natches in there. Get you one that only gets smaller ten field there, crpe myrtle to get three feet high there, Cramerle's get thirty feet high. Pick a good one, and boy does our CW have an outstanding selection for you. Just run by there and check it out again. Talmball Parkway be Way eight, RCW nurseries dot com. Let's go now out to New Caney. We'll visit with Armando there. Armando, Welcome to garden Line. Good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 5: Sent you his photos yesterday showing my Saint Augustine grants that have put down about three weeks ago, and about a week ago is started browning in the area and I keep watering it and I got bad information on how to fix it because the person didn't know what he was talking about. But anyway, I sent you those photos hoping you could help me out there.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for it. There we go. I think I found you, all right, Oh, yes, I see I remember looking at those. Yeah. It's a little hard to tell specifically what's going on. First of all, what's the deal with that green line? Is that a fertilizer line alongside the driveway.
Speaker 14: Picture?
Speaker 3: Or is that green weeds?
Speaker 5: Probably weeds?
Speaker 3: Okay, So that grass was was real new, as you indicated, and grass during the first day, two week to two weeks has got to be kept consistently moist. And that's not just a once a day. It's because the grass has very little soil at all, and it's sitting now on top of your soil. And if it set on, let's say you had dead weeds or dead grass underneath it, sometimes the roots can't get contact with the soil underneath, and it's it's difficult for them to get rooted in well, or at least quickly. I would recommend watering twice a day, And it looks to me like it could have been that before the grass could get roots down, it went through a dry period. And sometimes that's when it's sitting at wherever you bought the grass, you know, before you picked it up, it was already going in distress. Sometimes it's when you get at home and the process of getting it planted. But last time I planted grass, I even was squirting a little bit of water on the palletts, just because there were a couple of pallets we hadn't gotten to yet, and I was keeping them moist. I put it down, and as soon as I can, I start putting little water on it just to help it. And then, like I usually tell people, twice the day the first week, once a day the second week, just as a general guy. Depends on the temperature and whether it's sun or shade, of course, but it looks like that. It also could be some takeoll root rot involved. But this happened so fast that I don't think unless it was already going downhill from take all, I don't think that happened at your house because of how.
Speaker 5: Fast it stopped. The palants that I've been buying have been real good crash and this is just the one incident where this happened. And I'm saying, what the hell you know? Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think because of the speed of it, I'd chalk it up to somehow that it's it got a little bit too stressed.
Speaker 15: Yeah, because.
Speaker 5: Before you know, laying the sod down. But uh and I thought I had wanted regularly enough, but apparently not. Okay, well, uh.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll deal with it without a without a crystal ball and being able to go back in time and see the whole process from when they had it at the garden center. You know, I can't really tell you for sure, but that's my best guess.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, sir, goodness, thank you for you all.
Speaker 3: Right, Hey, thank you so much. I appreciate appreciate your call very much. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 3: The folks at Peerscapes had had the ability to turn whatever you've got in to a magical kingdom outdoors. I'm telling you they do. Go to the website and see what I'm talking about. Pierscapes dot com, piercescapes dot com. You can give them a call and just get started right now. I mean you go in, show them pictures what you got, talk to them about you know, what's the next step. How do we do this? Their designers can get involved if that's what you need. Maybe you just want to do some rock borders or some walkways. Maybe you got a drainage issue, maybe you need irrigation fixed, or you want to hire them for a quarterly service to make your place constantly look good. Every three months. They come out, they moltch, they take out the weeds if there are any. They make sure the irrigation's working. You know that fresh mult on the silt. They replace color bed color if it's time for that. So you're transitioning from one season to another, Pierscapes will keep your place. Let's put it this way. They'll make your place look good and they'll keep your place looking good. They can do both. Pierscapes dot Com. I'm going to take a little break now and when we come back, Jim and Spring, you'll be our first up. Welcome back to the garden line. Good have you with us? Hey, how can we help you have a better place and more fun gardening? You tell me, give me a call. Let's let's do that. Gardening is supposed to be fun and we want you to have success. That's what we're here about. Part of that is, for example, in containers, having several things. Number one, a container that has good drainage holes. Drainage is critical. Now I've grown things without good drainage tools before, especially indoor because I totally control the water. But you get outside. We had some succulence and a container outside underneath and let's say a porous ceiling, you know, like an arbor top with some plants on it. And I'm telling you, we got rain and rain and rain, and they drowned because they didn't have good internal drainage. The soil held too much. It wasn't gritty enough. I guess for them, and there wasn't enough drainage holes. Well, if you got the container that has good drainage hools, then a soil that holds water some but drains very well is important. And jungle land flour and vegetable planting soil distributed by nitro Foss is a quality product that will do just those two things above. You can find it at Lakeward or Hardware in Angleton, which is north of Glasco. Down there in Angleton you go up to Sagemont m and D. Beamer on Beamer that area and there's also a Fisher's Hardware. I'm at Bellevue on FM thirty one eighty where you're going to find Nitrofoss products. Let's head out to Spring and we're going to visit with Jim. Hello, Gum, and welcome to garden line.
Speaker 16: How you doing, Yeah, I question, good question. The last two seasons my yard has really done great. It's been dark green, nice and big. Is the Saint Augustine grass and I talk about yard of the month, typical stuff. And for some reason this year when Breen came around, half of my yard there's dark green and the other half is brown spots. And I'm talking about major brown spots, and it's almost like a disease that's taken over my yard. I've never experienced this, and it's gotta be going nuts because I've done everything right. I've fertilized every year and well, in fact, the last two seasons, I really haven't had to fertilize because it's been so dark and green and thick, watered every day. And the only thing I did different was towards the end of the season last year, I put down a fertilizer because I had some weeds coming up, and I didn't use the typical fertilizer like I've always used. And this year it's just wiped out half of my yard. It's brown and I'm pulling my hair out. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Can you describe the brown spots to me in terms of size and shape and and do they do they progress or does it just appear and then it you know, it doesn't spread after that.
Speaker 16: Well, it's it's spread it over The next half my yard is green, half of it is brown. And they're great, they're great, big spots. I mean, we've raked up the brown stuff and a bunch of dead weed or dead grass that we raaked up. We put them in bags, and now it's just like dirt, a little bit of grass.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's okay, it's very very extreme.
Speaker 16: I just don't know what I did wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, the problem in me helping you with it is I can't see what you're describing. Based on what you're saying and the extents of it, it sounds to me like it could be a disease called take all root rot. I have information on take all root roight on my publication on lawn Problems, the lawn Schedule that deals with weeds and diseases and insects. Uh, And so you you might take a look at that and see. I think the best way that I can help you, Jim, is for you to take some pictures. Let me see the whole on and then get up as close as you can, make sure it's in good sharp focus. Attach the photos to the to the email so that I can zoom in really good and look. Uh. And let me take a look at those, and I'll give you a better answer than me just shooting from the hip here with my best guests being take all root right as being a likely cause that I can't be certain about that at all, based based on just kind of the description of dead spots.
Speaker 17: O good, all right, I.
Speaker 3: Understand. Well let's get to the bottom of it. So so we don't waste your time and money on something that's you know, shooting at the wrong problem. Uh, I'm gonna put you on hold. I'll handro pickup and he'll get you an email to send me that information and thank you for that call. I'm talking about Spring. Spring Creek Feed Center is up there, just north and east of Tumbul It's in Magnolia Area twenty nine seventy eight, twenty ninety seventy eight. That's the f Farm to Market Road FM twenty nine seventy eight. When you go into Spring Creek Feed there's always something interesting. First of all, they greet you, you get treated right in there, and it just makes it more pleasant, you know, to go in and shop lots of good stuff. Of course it's a feed store, so yeah, they have all that. But you're listening to a gardening show, Well, they also have a great gardening supplies. You know, do you need fertilizers like you hear me talk about from Nelson turf star Line or Microlifeline or nitroposs's line. They've got it. They've got fungicides and pesticides thanks to kill weeds. They even have a little garden section where you can get some baskets and plants and things like that that you would like. Spring Creek Feed Center is easy access again off FM twenty nine seventy eight, just minutes away for Grime Parkway and Highway two forty nine. There's discounts for senior citizens and military too. By the way, they can special order and they do have a delivery service as well. You just have to ask them about the details of that Spring Creek Feed Center when you drive up. It says America's Country Store right on the front of the building, so you can't miss it. You are listening to Garden Line and I will be taking a little break here in a little bit, but we are glad to have you with us today. You know the goals that I have in the show, and I say this a lot this way. I say, we want you to have a beautiful garden and a bountiful garden. I want you to have a beautiful landscape, and we want you to have fun in the process of doing it. When you get pointed in the right direction. With a little good information, you can have fun in doing it. And we just learned a little bit as we go. Now just a point. I was doing some tree pruning the other day. Yes, you can do tree pruning still now you just don't want to do too much. But it reminded me that storm season is coming. The hurricane season is coming. Storm season seems to be here almost all the time. Last summer we had some devastating storms took out our power well. Affordable Tree Service Martin Spoon Moore's company been talking about them on Guardline for a long time, way back in Randy lemon Day's here on the show. Martin Spoon Moore's company, Affordable Tree is a family business. Give them a call. Here's a number. You want to write this down because you're gonna need it. Maybe not today, but you're gonna need it. Seven to one three six nine nine two six sixty three seven one three six nine twenty six sixty three. You call them, you're probably gonna talk to Martin's mom. She generally enters the phone there. Tell her you heard about sun Guardline because Guardline customers are their top priority. So again seven to one three six' ninety nine six six y. Three everything from, consulting especially like pre construction. Care oh my, gosh you do not put anything in or on the ground around your tree without Calling Affordable Tree service to come out and advise you on. It they're good at. That they can do everything they do pruning and deeper meeting and past, control even riding. STUMPS i, mean whatever you need done related to, trees they can do, it all, right. FOLKS i hear, music which Means i'm gonna quit talking. Here we're gonna get rolling here on some other. Things we've got a little top of the hour. BREAK i do have a few thoughts That i'd like to mention. Today, OH i want to tell you about one thing before we before we end up this. Hour uh there's a patriotic concert in Sugar land and it's going to be On, Sunday may twenty. Fifth Sunday may twenty, fifth that is what. Day that's, Tomorrow, okay, tomorrow seven oh five pm The Sugarland Town. Square i'll tell you a little bit more about. It if you want more, information Called scott at seven, one, three eight two four sixty one twenty. Six, alrighty good, Morning good, morning. Gardeners welcome to Garden. Line i'm your, host Skip rick or good to have you back with. Us what do you want to talk about? Today whatever you're interested. In guess What i'm going to be doing this. Afternoon you, Know i'm always telling you you need to go To Ace hardware to check out their barbecue. PITS i am the owner of a proud bouncing baby barbecue. PIT i am looking forward to go picking it up At Ace. Hardware just been shopping around for a long, time looking at all the brands and things that they. Have and we love living, outside do you you, KNOW i know when it's one hundred degrees and middle of the, day you, know nobody wants to be, outside but getting out and getting some grilling. Done we spent last night out on our patio with some, family just relaxing and enjoying that cooler end of the. Day you, know once the sun gets off of, you it's kind of pleasant to sit out. There. Anyway we like spending time, cooking cooking. Outside don't like to heat up the house in the, summertime so, yep we dove. In, Finally i've been shopping around brands for a long, time you, Know Ace carri's brands Like Woodpillet, girls a By. Treger they've got The rectech as. Well they have got The Big Green. Egg, boy that one's got a cult. Following Big Green egg is a charcoal type of a, grail not the low. Brickouts but, anyway go Buy ace and ask, them they'll explain it all to. You There's. Webergrails i've Had Weber girls for many years of my. LIFE i love those. Things, Anyway Ace Hardware texas dot com that's the website you need to go. To you can find all My Greater houston area and then SOME Ace hardware stores AT Ace Hardware texas Dot. Com when you go, there you'll find stores in places Like League CITY Ace hardware On West League City parkway down there and guess Where League. City that's, Right Victoria ace On Navarro. Street another good one you head up To willis To All SEASONS Ace hardware ON i forty Five, north or maybe go To All Star ace out In. Magnolia those are just a few of the MANY Ace hardware stores you'll find at A Hardware texas dot. Com you hear me telling you you need to do this for disease in your grass or you need to do this fertilizers, now and here's your options and things go TO Ace. Hardware they're going to have, Them you're going to find them. There Ace hardware has got you covered on turning your outdoors into a little bit Of. Eden and don't we enjoy spending some time outdoors with early morning listening to bird, sing barbecuing or gathering with, friends or just enjoying walking around the. Place ace sketch covered for. That Ace Hardware texas Dot. Com by the, way you need some help loading that, pit so if anybody's not doing anything, later we making. List just. Kidding you are listening To guardline and here's a phone number in order for you to call in so we can talk about the things that or of interest to. You what do you wonder, about what kind of issues you're dealing? With what kind of plans are you wanting to make to beautify or make your garden more? Bountiful well seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four or seven one three two one two k T R. H Give alejandro a callill put you on the board and we will visit with you about the things that are of interest to. YOU i was talking about different products and things that we need to do and deal with. Things, boy the other, day the fire ants we're. Out you, know we got all that, rain and that's when the fiance will then following, that they'll rebuild their mounds above. Ground do you see the little mounds that are rising up above the above the sod or the garden soil wherever they're. Located. Uh there's a product from the folks At Night foss called fire Ant, killer and it is very effective for a good, fast quick, kill good fast quick. Kill fire ant killer from the folks At Night. Fish you got a mound and you're, gonna you, know people gonna be gathering and, stuff now's the time to get that. Out get it on the mound and it'll shut them. Down Fireant killer is very. Effective it contains delta, methrin which is a very effective quick kill on those fireants that you're dealing. With you, know long, term we got bait type products we put, out but baits never get them. All BUT i always start with the bait and then when you have escape, mounds you can do the quick kills with something like The nitrofoss fire ant. Killer you're gonna find na fosh products in a lot of. Places you go down To Clute Lake harbor And clute On Dixie, drive you'll find to go To Stanton Shopping center In North taylor And, alvin go TO m AND. D Clear lake On Bay Area boulevard down there In Cley. Lake you're going to find nitrofoss products there as. Well oh my, goodness the boards just lit. Up so y'all are Working alejandro overtime. Here everybody decides to call it. Once, WELL i was talking, about you, know getting a pit set up and doing some pruning this. Week for those of you who are having to replace the sod in your. Yard maybe maybe you just have a section of grass that has died out and you're going to fill it in and you need to replace the sid. There maybe you're going to redo the whole. Lawn however you want to go about, it whatever you need to, do now's a good time to get it. Done it is warm enough now where grass is very actively. Growing you put it down and you hope it get. Established is because those early days are very. Important here's WHAT i mean when you put sod out right. Now first of, all you want the sod that is absolutely, fresh absolutely dug that morning. Fresh you want to put, it put the side pieces down on prepared soil that means its holes have been filled in that there's no weeds that are come back through the. Side if you've got nuts edge or bermuda, grass for, example in your, property and you lay Your Saint augustine's od right on top of, it or any kind of sod on the nuts, edge it's going to be right. Through and now you're dealing with how DO i kill this weed in my turf? Grass and it's much. Harder it's much easier instead to kill the weeds, first get rid of. THEM i don't care how long it. TAKES i was advising one of my daughters sign in law on a property they're doing and they've again several weeks ago or prior to, planting to get rid of those perennial. Weeds because you you may spray, them but then you're not going to get them. All they'll be. Back and when they come, back, now what do you? Do, well you, know you spray them. Again and then they did it three times to make sure they've got it all under. Control then the sod went in on top of. It that is an important first step is get rid of perennial weeds. First your options are way, way way better if you get rid of the weeds before you put the sod. In so that's just a. Tip i'm going to give you some more tips on putting out side as we go through the show, today but that'll at least get us off to a good. Start i'm gonna have to take a little break here in just a, second but WHEN i come, back let's, see we're going to talk To paul In Jersey village And beth up In tomball in just a, moment so you guys hang on for the rest of, you like to give us a call seven one three two one TWO. Ktrh all, right, thanks welcome back to the Garden. Line good to have you with. Us looking forward to visiting with you about the things that are of interest to. You. Now nobody wants to talk about foundation, issues RIGHT i, DON'T i, Don't eve won't think about. Them rather be an ostrich stick my head in the. Sand, well it didn't get better when you stick your head in the. Sand it just. Doesn't if you've got cracks in the sheet rock inside your, home especially go look at the corner of a, window like in a bedroom or. Someplace she has a little crack going down from the. Corner that's a sign of. Movement if you go, outside you'll see the same thing on brick. Too and it's not just where windows, are but that's just a. Commonplace maybe your doors are sticking. Inside that means something's, moving something. Shifting fix my slab foundation repair easy website to remember fix myslab dot. Com Ty strickland's been doing this for twenty three. Years he's a Native, ustonian fifth Generation. Texans as a matter of, fact he understands our. Soils he knows about how they move and what that does and what most, importantly what you need to do about. It fixmslab dot com two eight, one two, five, five forty, nine forty. Nine tell them that you are a garden line. Listener free estimates for garden line. Listeners he'll come, out he'll take a. Look you'll tell you what needs or doesn't need to be. Done and there's times when he's told, somebody you, know it's moving a little, bit but at this point there's not something that warrants you, know a great, uh you, know tearing into everything and to fix. It but when it needs to be, done he knows how to do it. Right he knows what to. Do he's got to have a, good straight level foundation that doesn't move. Around and in our clay soils was shrinking and swelling with wet and dry cycles they. Do that's just what. Happens we've got to deal with. It so let's see. Here we are going to go To, PAUL i believe In Jersey village. Next, Hello, paul welcome To.
Speaker 5: Guardline Hey, chip thanks for let me.
Speaker 8: CHAT i am looking for some suggestions on a nursery that sells organic mulch bulk preparably in this. AREA i think you guys have kind of recommended some in the past AND i need to do, it AND i just want to see if you might have some.
Speaker 3: Recommendations, yeah, well as far as you, know like a nursery Selling arburgate will bulk sell their organic soil, complete and they will bulk sell their organic compost. Complete but those are both amendments or things that are the soil itself as opposed to a moltch that goes on the. Surface now you can put compost as a surface, mulch BUT i think you're looking for, more something a little chunkier than, that you could give them a call up At Nature's. Way they're not too terribly far away from, you and they do deliver in, bulk and they've Got Nature's way is On interstate forty five as you're going up Toward. Conro it's not The, conro but it's up that direction On Sherbrook's. Circle you can go to the. Website It's Nature's Way resources dot. Com and they've got several mulch. Options i've used their double ground mulch And i've used their native hardwood types of. Mulch they're both excellent and they work. Well and again you can buy them by the. Bulk they'll come drop it on the driveway if you. Want they also are having a heck of a sale right now on their fungal based. Compost that's a compost based on you, know ground up mulches and wood products and. Things it's been turned into a. Composts i've never heard of anything this cheap, before but it's fifteen dollars per, yard and that it should be many times more than that because it's a quality. Product but you on the, sale you got to pick it up up In conro so you don't have to take a trader or something up there to get. It but there's no limit on. It but, Anyway Nature's Way resources Dot. Com here's let me give you a phone. Number it is nine three six nine three six h two seven three twelve hundred if you want to just call them today and talk to them about your options. Hundred you say, yes seven twelve, hundred and they're probably the closest closest to you.
Speaker 14: There, okay all, right that's.
Speaker 8: Great that's that's a lot of good. INFO i really appreciate. It, yet take, care all.
Speaker 3: Right, Sir good luck and enjoy. It i've Used i've used their many of their different products at different. Times always been very. Pleased, yeah, okay all, right thank you. Sir you take. Care uh THE i mentioned, earlier we're we're talking about garden centers and places you love to visit and. Things Nelson Water. Garden it's Actually Nelson nursery And Water. Garden they're out there In. Katie you head out ten To, katie turn north On Katie Fort Ben road and they're right. There makes it real easy to find, them easy to get. To they have such an outstanding garden. CENTER i mean it starts when you walk through the front door and you go into the main, building and that's where the house plants, are and you're gonna pausitive for a minute because it is amazing the selection that they, have very beautiful to just lots of quality. Plants you step back out into the back and now you're in all the other. Plants you, know vegetables and herbs are right there on the right hand, side and on the left hand side you got flowers and. Things you walk a little further back and you get to the shrubs and the trees and the vines and plants that love shade and plants that love sun and roses and everything. Else right, now this weekend is memorial To it's the lawn and garden tax free. Weekend so It's may twenty, fourth, Today Tomorrow sunday and twenty Six. Monday eligible. Items there's eligible. Items it's a state a tax free items includes plants of trees and grasses and multed soil and. Compost by the, way we're just visiting With paul And Jersey village this. Weekend there ought to be a tax free on a compost In multiti. Products PAUL i should have mentioned that to you and then a groundcover for. Example now if you are looking for an added to, that out At Nelson Water gardens And, nursery they've got an additional twenty percent off some of the nursery. Stock that's at least you, know thirteen bucks and. Above they've got that as. Well but just call them, up go check them. Out this is a state wide. Sale this our. Sale this is a state wide deal this weekend from the state government taxes twenty lots of discounts on tax bet just by the fact that it's being tax free as well as some our garden. Centers you're doing, that but you got to go out To Nelson Water gardens And. Nursery it's a beautiful. Place if you don't see their, website go To nelsonwatergardens dot Com nelsonwatergardens dot. Com they're Open monday Through saturday nine to six and today or tomorrow from eleven am to four. Pm on this text free. Weekend we're going to head out now To tomball and talk To. Beth, Hello, Beth welcome to Garden.
Speaker 18: Line good, Morning.
Speaker 19: Skip thank you so much for all the help you. PROVIDE i have another question about my apple, trees AND i hope y'all aren't getting tired of hearing about my apple.
Speaker 18: TREES i really appreciate the.
Speaker 19: Help i've sent you a couple of pictures of a green apple tree THAT i, have and you, KNOW i just planted them last, year so they've only been in the ground a. Year but it has something going on with the bark in it in the in the trunk of it that is the same thing that was happy and with the red delicious that you know, dye and SO i just wanted to check it if it was some kind of insect or or what what you thought of.
Speaker 3: It, Okay i'm trying to take a look at the pictures as we speak. Here describe to me what it is that you're seeing As i'm getting these opened. Up what is it about the photo that's concerning?
Speaker 19: You so in the, trunk it's like it's got an abrasion on the, Tree but there's there's nothing going on around these trees that would hit it or upbraze it or anything like. That they're in they're in hogwarre, fences so individual, senses so there's. Nothing it's, protected but it's like it's like the bark it's there's it's just like one little section of the bark that's got it's all roughed, up you. Know it's it looks like it's on a, brak but it's not Really.
Speaker 3: Okay, well the photos are all kind of shot from the same angle in the same, place so looking at, THEM i can't really zoom in enough to see real, well but WHAT i see looks to me like it's either a, canker which is a little disease that can attack the trunk and kill some of the. Tissues there's not a spray for. Cankers you just get the tree as vigorous and healthy as you, can and it closes over that. Wound as it, grows it just kind of just closes it back over. Again that's that's probably my recommendation to, you based on WHAT i can see in the photos from the photos you sent, ME i wish there was a spray we could put on, it but, yeah so just take care of.
Speaker 19: It, yeah it's leaping out really, well so hopefully it. Will it'll dry then and THEN i did have one more question for you to. Find, yeah, sure SO i have a red roam that is got cute as little baby apples on, it and so it's it's doing. Well AND i know you always, recommend you, know for the first couple of years to to cut off the, fruit SO i will do. That BUT i just have an interesting, question and is there like a trunk, size a minimum trunk size that you would want to have before you let the apples grow.
Speaker 3: For a couple of, years you, Know so it's it's kind of a it's kind of let them be on the ground for a few, years, uh you. Know AND i try to find a happy medium because people want to try an. Apple but you, know if in the second year you want to leave it to let it have an apple or two just so you can have something to, taste that's that's. Fine but in, general the energy that goes into growing that fruit would be going into growing a bigger tree that'll have more fruit the next. Year so as you leave, fruit what you're doing is limiting in a more than like if you leave one, fruit you're losing more than one fruit the next, year you know What i'm, saying because you would have gotten a lot more branches that could have held several more fruit and that's why early in the life of a fruit tree we say pull the branches. OFF i mean pull the fruit, off not the.
Speaker 15: Branches, okay, yeah, okay thank, you.
Speaker 3: All, Right, beth good luck with. That and just watch those spots on the apple. Trunk if it gets, worse take some close up pictures and good sharp focus and send me some different angles on. It BUT i think we've covered it. Enough BUT i just leave the door open if you need to resend some more. Later all, right thank you for the. Call very. Much good to visit with you and enjoy a chance to kind of hopefully help out little bit with what we're. Doing you, Know nelson plant food folks have got a number of quality products that are in small. Jars they have The Nutral star, line which is specific plant fertilizers for specific kinds of. Plants there's a Nutri star for. Vegetables there's A Neutral star that covers acid loving, plants you, know like azalias and blueberries and cameoas and gardenias and those kinds of. Things they have A Neutral star for. Plumeria they have A Nutra star for, buoginvillias and each of those individual products works. Well now you can buy the little jars of, it and you, know check your teaspoons, out just follow the. Label it's to how much to sprinkle around each your. Plant and then when you're, done there's about a dozen places in town where you can refill The nelson. Jars you go there and it's just like buying peanuts at the, store where you pull the handle, down you put the bag underneath. It you Know i'm talking. About, well it's like you're buying refilling your. Fertilizer that way saves you a little money and it avoids thrown away all that. Plastic it just makes. Sense we had to have more products that are that are sold that way from the folks At, Nelson so it makes a lot of. Sense let's. See, yeah don't FORGET i mentioned this earlier in a, caller But Nature's Way resources has a humongas sale now through the rest of this, month so that isn't much month. Left we've got about a week left here in this. Month fungal compost overstock sale fifteen dollars a. Yard now you gotta go get. It you gotta go pick it, up get your, trailer. Pickup however you go and buy, it go out there and get. It Nature's Way resources does deliver, products but for this sale fifteen dollars per, yard and you don't want to miss that one. Out go to the Website nature'swayresources dot com and follow them On instagram and On facebook and that's where you find out about things like this incredible sale that they have going. On right. Now we're going to go now To richmond and visit With. Brian, Brian welcome.
Speaker 14: To Dargen Horns. Gift thanks, Sir, HEY i just put some some fig trees in my. Backyard is barricade labeled for fig?
Speaker 3: Trees, no it's labeled for lawns only just fallen, now so go.
Speaker 14: Ahead that's What i'm asking is is it safe around?
Speaker 3: Figs, Well i'm going to Say i'm going to give you a qualified yes if you use a product as. Recommended you, know let's say you have a. Lawn when you're doing barricade on your, lawn trees around, you from shade trees to flowering trees to fruit. Trees they've got roots over there in the. Lawn, okay so you are using it around the, tree but you can't like, say OH i got an. Orchard i'm going to use, barricade and though you know you have to stay within the, label but you got to put it down at the right, Rate, brian don't overdo it and don't put it down right for a gully washer, rain put about a half inch of water to get it moved in where it locks up at the surface of the. Soil and then you'll be, okay.
Speaker 14: Okay because these ARE i, mean these are brand new bear. Roots all, right sir, said these are brand new. Figs, okay, yeah hang, ON i tell you WHAT i. HAVE i have a very hard. Break if You i'm going to put you on. Hold if you want to hang, On i'll pick it back up when we come. Back all, right and welcome. Back good to have you back with us here on Garden.
Speaker 3: Line uh listen, now the folks out At Warren's Southern gardens In. Kingwood Warren Southern gardens In. Kingwood you know There's Kingwood Garden center And Warren Southern gardens boat there In, kingwood both great places to. Go they each have their own i'll, say, personality you know what they, carried the look of the, store the kind of things that they kind of specialize a little more in maybe it's worth going to both of. Them but right, Now Warren Southern, gardens they're having one incredible sale and it only lasts through this, month so we got about a week. Left actually we have right at a week left in the. Sale may thirty first is the last day of the. Sale twenty percent off purchases of one hundred dollars or more one hundred dollars or more twenty percent. Off so you spend one hundred, dollars you buy a hundred dollars worth of, stuff you only cost you eighty. Bucks now here's the other, one and you're gonna need to think about this for a. Minute forty percent off purchases of three thousand or. More, NOW i know you're, Thinking i've never gone to a garden center and bought three. Thousand, okay but listen to. This if you're going to redo your, landscape and this would include, uh you, know shrubs and flowers and, trees we're talking about everything. Here we're talking about things, like for, example some of the, archways a metal archway that maybe you, know you walk through as you're going out in the, garden containers and all kinds of things WERE i, mean this is your chance to do a major redo for forty percent. Off so in other, words you ring up three thousand dollars worth of stuff you pay eighteen. Hundred so this is kind of like an opportunity that's. Incredible AND i, realize you, know you don't just go every week well some people we do grave weekend spend three thousand dollars on plants and. Things but if you want to do if you want to make a big impact and go to go do, this go to one In Southern gardens and walk around and look and you'll see What i'm talking. About go to their, website you, know check them, out find out what's what all that they have it you will be very very. IMPRESSED i mean everything for beautiful containers that have been put together just awesome and that you, know we got a lot of products fertilizers and soil based products and, whatnot and then just incredible. Stuff SO i don't, know this is an Unusual i've never had a sale like this talked about on Garden line, before but it is one where for those of you who really want to get a big job done and you're, looking you're not going to find a way to say Forty bucks on everything you buy like. This it is, incredible largest sale. Ever all. Right Warrens Southern garden In. Kingwood there's also where you Find Kingwood Garden. Center warrens is On North Park, Drive kingwood is On Stone Hollow. Drive both of them are open seven days a. WEEK i don't. KNOW i think i'd go buy IF i were you. Today look around and think about. This, uh it is an. Opportunity it is an opportunity to make a heck of an investment in your. Property let's Go, now we're going to go back To brian In. Richmond, BRIAN i think you had a little follow up.
Speaker 14: Maybe, yeah they're they're bear. Roots SO i just wanted to make sure that it was going to be, okay one more one more question after, that if that's all?
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah so, here here's the. Thing when you put barricade down and you watered in with just a little bit of water third of an inch maybe half an inch, Maybe, uh it goes into the sole surface and it sticks there and it it adheres to the soil. Particles and if it didn't do, that if it just washed, through then it wouldn't be up there to fight the weed. Seeds germinating near the. Surface so that's how it. Works. Uh now that's WHY i say if you overapply it and then gully water it, in gully washer water it. In, yeah you can get some down in roots and maybe have some, issues but just do it right and you should be okay on. That all? Right what was the fire?
Speaker 14: Up so my creole tomatoes are doing great and the mocking bird are enjoying them more THAN i, am And i'm ready to start shooting. Them, no that's, illegal But i've tried. EVERYTHING i can't keep the darn things.
Speaker 3: Out they're eating the.
Speaker 14: Fruit they're my, tomatoes my tomatoes and.
Speaker 3: Tomatoes, yeah you, know there's suggestions out. There it's too late now for. This but some people say if you put red ornaments out before the tomatoes are, ripe they'll go out and peck those and figure those red things aren't worth. EATING i don't know IF i believe, that And i've never tried, it but some gardeners say that works for. Them have you tried putting organza bags over tomatoes or? Not are you familiar with?
Speaker 14: THAT i have.
Speaker 3: Not you can go, ONLINE i mean you can go to you, know place place Like amazon and look Up organza bags and they come in different sizes that are little mesh a little fine. Mesh bags are used in you, know. Brides we'll give them out to bridesmaids with gifts inside and. Stuff they have a drawstring on them and if you buy, one depending on the kinds of tomatoes you're, growing from a long cluster to a single round, tomato you just slip them right over and pull the string and they. Last when you're, done you just pull them off and store them and you can do it again next. Year but you got to bag each tomato in order to do. That but when it comes to birds other than, netting that would be the THING i would. Try, okay all, right these are cheap bags. Too they're very. Cheap they're. Pinnis we're gonna buy like one hundred of them or. Something, yeah, okay if you give it a, try let me. Know i'd like to hear back from you and how it work and what kind of tomatoes you put them on and. Stuff i've had a number of gardeners tell me they like.
Speaker 14: It, so, yeah they're. Creoles there you. Go they're good slicers and.
Speaker 3: Clusters, yeah yeap CREOLES a good Good louisiana slicer been around a long. Time. Thanks thanks, man appreciate your call very. Much, hey if you're looking for a quality fertilizer product for your, Lawn microlife sixty four the number one selling organic fertilizer in The Greater houston. Area in, fact it's way. Greater they Sell microlife in a wide range through the state. Here But microlife sixty four is got the right ratio for your nutrients for your. Lawn you put it, out follow the label, instructions and it. Works that's the bottom. Line you can use, it by the, way on your flower, beds on your vegetable. GARDENS i put it in my vegetable garden, before works just. Fine you can use it on any kind of plant you. Want but primarily we think of it as a lawn. Fertilizer it's got a, yukka a natural wedding agent in. It it's got billions and billions of beneficial microbes to help your plants grow. Better you, know soil and microbes make roots, happy And microlife is all about building the soil over time and keeping your plants healthy and. Strong when you're putting it, out consider adding a bag of the purple stuff that's humts. Plus so green bag Is microlife sixty. Four purple bag is hu mats. Plus He mates plus is the final decomposition product of, composts so we call it concentrated compost in a bag and it also. Works you can go to microlifefertilizer dot com learn a lot more about these fertilizers and a whole lot more as. Well that is a good, thing you. Know you can Find microlife at places LIKE d AND de feed up In tomball d AND. D if you haven't been, there those of you in the Greater tombul. Area d and defeed is three miles west Of highway two forty nine on twenty nine to Twenty so you head west To tombul on twenty nine to twenty three, miles look on the left hand. Side it's right. THERE d AND. D i was in just the other. Day excellent selection of fertilizers from nitro, foss From, microlife From, nelson the Turch star, line From. Medina they Have nelson or excuse, me they Have medina fertilizers as well as The nelson plant feed. Bags also they carry heirloom soils two airloom sols, products and then if you're dealing with pest weeds and, diseases they're gonna have things that are much harder to find at most. Places they do have an extensive supply of pest weed and disease control products that work very very well for, You SO i would check them. OUT d AND d feed again ON fm twenty nine to twenty about three miles west Of tombaal the phone number two eight one three five one seventy one forty four two eight one three five one seven to one four. Four you heard me talking about jungle land. Earlier that's the outdoor flower and vegetable jungle. Land, well there's also a jungle land for your, houseplants your indoor. Plants it's called Jungle land Water savor potting, soil AND i say. Indoor you know if you had apotheos ivy hanging and a hanging basket, outside it'd be good for that. Too you, know there's no such thing as a. Houseplant we just bring them in the, house then we make them. Houseplants jungle and Water saver has the crystals to help that soil hold moisture for as long as. Possible in case you forget to water for it to, bound trap back and do. Good. Now nightofosh products are widely. Available you're gonna find. THEM i MENTIONED d And de feed up in Tumble Fisher's Hardway Down hardware down On southmore In, pasadena as well as The fishers In laporte On Broadway street and the one ON fm thirty one eighty in Mont. Bellevue all carry Night fosh. Products time for me to take a quick break. Here when we come, back we are going to visit With eric And cyprus And robert in Wood forest if we can get to. That all, right, folks welcome back to Guard. Line glad you are with us. Today. Listen plants for all. Seasons they are easy to. Find you just go Up Tomball. Parkway when you get To, luetta you exit cross Over luetta and it's just about a block north or less than a block north Of luetta right there on the right hand, side going toward tunnel. Direction Plant Troll seasons has an outstanding selection of all kinds of. Plants right. Now they have a really nice selection of different kinds of. Gingers you, know there's a number of different kinds of ginger out there that you can purchase the hidden. Gingers they call them that because they have, big, old, large almost cannon like, leaves if you know what can of leaves look. Like but then kind of down in the plant a little bit are these beautiful spike ballooms that are just. GORGEOUS i mean it's not like they're, hidden you can't see, them but instead of sticking them way up on top like a butterfly, ginger they're kind of down in the plant a little. Bit and they have a number of different beautiful new breeding lines that have been released over the past years that are just. Gorgeous when you're, there you're going to find a selection of some really cool pottery that they've got In they have really nice large. Pots and remember when you're potting up here In, texas especially for, summer you need a bigger pot than you think you. Need just get a bigger one because you need to hold a lot of, soil and that soil can hold a lot more. Water, therefore so those plants are going to be much more resilient having a good access to. That of, Course plants for All seasons has a great selection of plants for pollinators as. Well it's a full service Garden, center family owner and operated since nineteen seventy. Three plants For All seasons dot com two, eight, one, three, seven, six sixteen forty. Six we're going to go now to Wood forest area and talk To. Robert, Hello, Robert welcome to Garden.
Speaker 20: Line good, morning. Sir SO i have children that live over In kingwood and they have some old growth, azaleas and my, wife, okay love to grow azaleas in Wood, forest which is obviously vast different Than. Kingwood so, okay we had we had a couple of them out, there but they've not bloomed in about three. Years so is there some BETTER i don't know how to even, ask but the generic azalea that would grow in the proper you, know acidic. Condition then another.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh well are you in in Wood? Forest is in on the east side just inside the?
Speaker 20: Beltway, no, no, no We're conroe would forged oh By.
Speaker 3: Conrad, Okay, so so azalias want bright, light but they don't want direct sun all. Day they can take a tad bit of, it you, know but in general they're an understory for us plant and so they they do you need good. Light so if they don't have enough, light they're not gonna bloom as well because it takes light to make. Carbohydrates takes carbohydrates to make. Blooms so, uh they need adequate sun light, intensity not direct sun. Necessarily they need an acidic soil and a continually moist. Soil they're not efficient at taking up. Water they don't have root hairs like a lot of plants, do and so they do need to be kept moist and out of. Stress and then as far as are your plants looking good but just not blooming or do they not look good?
Speaker 20: Either, no they look, fine it's just they won't set a. Bloom AND i know there's different kinds nowadays because of you, know genetic. Differentiations but, yes you, KNOW i just look at the stuff that they grow In kingwood AND i, think why CAN'T i do?
Speaker 8: That you?
Speaker 3: Know, yeah but maybe it Was maybe it's because they're twenty years. Old you, KNOW i don't know. Yours you're saying yours are twenty years? Old or there's In Kingdom, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 15: Ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay that's what you, Said. Ashley, okay, yeah, so uh so it's just a matter of a good maybe rethink the soil. Mix is? It is it well? Drained is it a raised? Bed do just have lots of acidic types of organic matter in? It and you, know get some fertilizer or some acidic loving fertilizer if you're not already using, it and use that and, UH i think it probably could be a little on water, quality but usually you'll see problems with that when it comes to burning of the edges of the leaves and some other similar. Things but you ought to be able to. Grow I'm i'm beginning to think this may be more related to. Light but you KNOW i. Can't i'm not there walking around looking at, Them So i'm having to give you my best.
Speaker 20: Shot they're underneath some pine, tree so you, Know I'm i'm Getting i'm getting the, straw of, course but uh, anyway, okay the, Light i'll give that A i'll give that a measurement and see how we.
Speaker 3: Do, yeah, okay well they definitely can grow into the. Pines so, well good luck with. IT i hope hope that helped a little. Bit if if you may want to try up in the watering a little or upping the fertilizing a little and see if maybe you can kick them into gear on that. Too that that'd be my last thoughts there on that. One, robert all, righty thank, you thank, you. Sir appreciate appreciate the call on that very. Much. Uh medina products are whether there's just a plethora Of i'm out there and it's for some every user word plethora describing Fertilize medina. Products they're, fertilizers their plant growth enhancement. Products you, Know Medina Soil activator has been around a long. Time it's an awesome. Product, well they've taken. It they've added over twenty forty different trace elements in the thing and Created Medina. Plus It's Medina Soel Activator. Plus it's got the things that increase blooming and leaf growth and fruit. Set if you're going to do some. Transplanting it's a great one to water plants in with, it as well as other many of The medina products. Are you can get it in a quart. Size you can get it in a convenient hose in. Sprayer you hook it up your hose and you just go to. Town it proportions it out as you water with that super super good. Product Medina plus based on the Original Medina soil activator that many of you have used for years and know how well that. Works you're going to Find medina products widespread through our. Area most of our you, know ace hardware, stores our feed, stores our independent garden centers will Carry medina, products making them easy easy access for. Gardeners let's go up To cyprus now we're going to visit With eric a little. Bit Hey, Eric welcome to Garden.
Speaker 1: Line Hey, SKIP i got a couple of tree questions for. You, YES i talked to a tree guy, recently And i'm thinking and, thinking is it safe to trim, trees you, know in the heat of the, summer which we're kind of approaching. Anyway i've got a large water oak in my backyard in a pretty mature live oak in the, front AND i just want to make SURE i don't do any damage by trimming them or trimming them too. Much and SO i want to get your feedback on that you can.
Speaker 3: Trim you can trim them all. Summer it's better to minimize it than to do a lot of. Trimming and so have you ever seen time laps photography where they show a flower that may have taken six hours to open and it does it in six. Seconds you know What i'm. About time. Lapse so if you were to take a pruning cut and you were to watch it through the year From january To december time, lapse what you would see is in winter it's not closing at, all and then in spring it closes real, fast and then in summer it slows down to a, crawl and then in fall it speeds up a little, bit and then it shuts down again in. Winter, Okay so that's why we like to prune at the end of winter, ideally because we get the fast time of healing right following. That so you can prune though, anytime it's just not going to close as, quickly and you don't want to take out save the bulk of you're pruning for, winter and do pruning through the year as needed here and.
Speaker 1: There so when you say at the end of, winter are you saying Like February, MARCH i guess for russ.
Speaker 3: Uh no, more more like here Late january and In february you're going to be seeing growth depending on let's see where you're In. Cyprus, yeah you're going to see some growth starting In. March so, right, yeah you'd like to get it done ahead of. That here's the other. Problem in the, winter the bark is stuck tight to the. Wood when the sap begins to, flow it's real easy to strip the bark. Off and when you're, pruning you don't want a limb to fall and to rip a little banana peel section of bark with it when it. Falls so you want to use a three point, cut and you need to go look that one up. Online there's lots with a search engine you can find about three point. Cuts and we'd like to do printing when the bark, isn't as they, say, slipping it's much better to avoid it when it's.
Speaker 1: Slipping, okay So January, february that'd be a good time bark.
Speaker 3: Wise It's January, january Early february to Mid february up in your area would be fine and.
Speaker 1: Alright covering spraying the black stuff on there after you cut a, limb you, know leave an open.
Speaker 8: Wound is it don't necessary or is that?
Speaker 3: No you don't need to do. It we don't have much oak wild around. Here if your neighbors had oak, WILT i would say spray the, cuts but they probably don't because we just don't have. Much, okay thank you all, right, folks welcome, Back welcome back to the Guarden. Line good, day be with us today your Host Skip, richter and we're here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful land cape and more fun in the. Process and by the, WAY i talking earlier, TODAY i was talking about being sitting outside with family, yesterday just enjoying the end of the. Day sun had gone, down so that was still you, know upper, eighties low nineties even, initially BUT i didn't feel so bad because we're just sitting. Still we got a little family put on us out there sometimes so it's a little, hotter but we enjoyed. It but you know WHAT i, noticed there were almost no mosquitoes, outside almost. Done and we had two weeks ago seven inches of rain in our. House and that means every little thing that can hold water has got a puddle of water in. It and all it takes for a mosquito to reproduce is a bottle cap full of, water literally like a thumbleful of. Water basically that is not much. Water and so there it was mosquito breeding. Season and this is the same way at your. HOUSE i mean it could be your irrigation sprinklers coming on filling up. Something it could be you water and a, plant and underneath the plant pot that little tray underneath that holds. Water mosquitos will breathe in there and they can do. That and months AGO i had Pest Bros come out and install their mosquito buckets at my. Place, now a mosquito bucket is not like this force field that goes out and kills any mosquito that flies over the fence from your. Neighbors but every mosquito the buckets draw them to the. Bucket there's an odor that you can't smell, it but the mosquitoes can and they go to. IT i never smell my head right over the. BUCKET i don't smell, anything but the mosquitoes, can and they go to. It and they land in, there and when they, land they get stuff on their, feet and that's the beginning of the end for the. Mosquito they lay eggs in, there and you see all these. REGULARS i opened the bucket lid the other day covered with the regulars little tomato mosquito larva in, there and they were just going to. Town but those larva will never turn into an adult mosquito because that bucket won't it's got stuff in it won't let. Them but the fact that they're, there that stagnant water brings more mosquitoes in and the odor so they, land they get stuff on their. Feet that does two. Things one of them is a disease of. Mosquitos and that mosquito's got about a week to live before it'll take it. OUT i. BELIEVE i believe a week is correct on. That but you don't want to kill them right, there because you want them to fly off and go to other places where they will lay eggs in other bits of, water and by this stuff they carry with them on their, feet mosquitoes can't grow in that water. Either and it just, works, Well, yeah you want that mosquito going around everywhere there's stagnant. Water you want a mosquito from one of your buckets to go, there and it just causes this suppression of mosquitos through the whole airt and it doesn't kill every mosquito there. IS i, mean nothing's going to do. That you get you a foger out there and nuke your house and yard every, day and you're still gonna have mosquito to fly in whenever the mist settles from the. Fogger, okay But i've never seen anything like. IT i, mean last night was the first time we saw a few mosquitos, around just a. Few. Uh AND i don't like the in the. FOGGERS i have. One i've used, it and when we're gonna have a party with people out and. Stuff in the, PAST i would get it out because you, know you know how bad mosquitoes can. BE i Know i'm droning on about, this BUT i was just really really impressed with the way this worked and that Pest. Bros is that the folks that brought it. Out Pest. Bros covers the whole. Area and they don't just do. Mosquitos they cover the area From baytown all the way across To, katie From Texas city all the way up to the. Woodlands you need termite work, done they're experts at. That you, need you, know indoor treatment of indoor, past you got fire ants, outside they do it. All Pest. Bros the website is the Pest bros B. Ros thepest bros dot com two eight, one two oh six forty six seventy two eight one two o six forty six. SEVENTY i Know i'd droned on about the mosquito, thing but, LISTEN i have had so many suffering summers with mosquitoes that anything that reduces them is. Helpful and this is this works really. WELL i can deal with a, FEW i, mean Because i'm not willing to pay the environmental cost of constantly nuking every bush and shrub and part of my. Property but, boy does this ever? Work? Well all, right well there you. Go can you Tell i'm excited about? IT i. Am let's head out To dickinson and we're going to talk To. Linda, Now, Hey, linda welcome to Garden. Line good.
Speaker 15: MORNING i, HAVE i think you some pictures of yellowing spots in my, grass and the grass is actually dying in those.
Speaker 3: Spots, YES i got, THOSE i sure did the. Pictures it doesn't look really that one picture is a distant. One it's kind of out of, focus BUT i can see THE i can see some a lot of browning leaves in. It and then and the close up shows some of the grass dying back WHEN i. Look WHEN i zoom in on that close up, One, LINDA i see some gray leaf spot AND i think that's the primary thing that you've got going on based on just that close up, picture BECAUSE i can't make out detail on the other. One gray leaf spot causes gray spots on the, leaves and if you look close you'll see some on, there and then the grass blades will often. Die the tip turns, brown sometimes the whole grass blade turns brown and it just looks like dying. Out but that grass will regrow, fresh healthy. Leaves the more you can minimize how much of the time the leafs the grass blades spend, wet the. Better the wetter it, is the more gray leaf spots you're going to. Have you can treat it with a product From nitrofoss Called Eagle Turf Fungicide eagle like the. Bird but at this, STAGE i don't. Know you could go ahead and do a treatment on, it or you could just kind of wait and see and if if you go through perags of rainy, weather it's going to be. Worse but as it heats up and gets a little drier on, US i think you're going to see it naturally reduce it as.
Speaker 15: Well, okay thank, YOU i appreciate.
Speaker 3: It all, Right we'll keep us posted if you see any other problems in, it just let us, say we can take a look at other. Pictures all, right you take, care appreciate that very. Much Jorges Hidden gardens down in Alivin. Texas you, know if you go down To alvin and you head head south on six or south east on, six and you go to Towards Santa, Fe orges is off to the right back in. There horay has always got stuff going. ON i, mean he has a lot of really cool plants right. Now he's got some beautiful brugmancias angels. Trumpets oh my, gosh if you've never seen. Those they have pendent, flowers which is where they get their, name like an angel trumpet hanging down from. Heaven. Uh and they're fragrant late day in the. EVENINGS i love fragrant. PLANTS i put an angel's trumpet Or brugmancia in on the southwest side of my outdoor sitting area That i've been talking, about because in the evenings you get this nice little fragrance wafting in from. Them they're pretty. Cool cours or he's got everything, else got avocados still have fruit on or already have fruit on the, trees, avocados beautiful hibiscus, collections lots of different kinds of, fruit pears and peaches where he's got a great, selection all kinds of. Flowers there's lots of nice tropical. Things and then of course shrubs like, crape murles and trees and, sunshine lagostrum and you name. It he can do it. All he can come out and plant them for you if you'd like him to do. That that's horeh sid And. Guards it's On Elizabeth. Road Elizabeth road In, Alvin. Texas here's a number seven to one three six three two fifty two ninety seven one three six three two five excuse, me seven one three six three two five two nine Zero Jorg Hiding gardens done In. Alvin let's take a little quick. Break we'll be right back And rufus And. Cove you'll be our very first stop when we come, back and welcome back to the garden.
Speaker 14: Line.
Speaker 3: Folks good day have you with us this. MORNING i hope you're enjoying this. Day it is a great day to be. Gardening i'll tell you that that is for. Sure League city feed is down in guess Where League. City that's right south and east Of houston a little Bit League city Feed if you're looking for the exact, location it's On highway, three just a few blocks south Of highway ninety six In League. City so all of you down in that, region this is your this is your hometown feed. Store And i'm talking about places Like dickinson And lamark And baycliff And Webster, Clare Lake, city Elkam, Into, Real Santa, Fe San, leone all those. Places you just head over. There the place has been around for forty. Years our grandpa built it forty years ago in An ochre patch and The thunderberg, family third generation now still run in that. Store old fashioned service carry the bags out for. You and you know when you go, in you're gonna find what you're looking. For you, know, Well skip talked about nitroposs or asumide or microlife or heirloom soils or you, Know nelson plant. Foods they're all. There products to control pests and weeds and diseases that you might find on my lawn care schedule or just in general maybe for your roses or other. Things they're gonna have all those products for your premium pet foods always. Available if you got backyard. Chickens they got the, feed they got the, feeders the, waters the, bedding, everything but the. Chickens local honey, too they have they do sell local honey down. There League City feed and again they are On highway, three a few blocks south the ninety six In League. City Open monday Through saturday nine to, six so you can swing by right after. Work closed On sundays two, eight one, three three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two one six one. Two let's go out to cove now and talk with Rufous, Hey, Rufus welcome to Garden.
Speaker 10: Line Martin.
Speaker 13: Skift can you hear?
Speaker 15: Me?
Speaker 3: Yes all, right YES i. CAN i.
Speaker 13: Good i've got these thornless BLACKBERRIES i. Planted some's been in ground two three. Years those have been around six seven. Years And i've noticed something THAT i THINK i should have cut off about months. Ago these things started putting on a shooter coming out of the main portion of the root, system and at FIRST i thought it was just putting on more. Vines but this thing is, massive kind of reminds me of the shooter that comes out of a century. Plant AND i was, wondering is this the end of the life of this BlackBerry or SHOULD i now at?
Speaker 3: All that's just, now that's just a, big, strong upright growing. Cane, okay it's got leaves on, it.
Speaker 13: Right that's it just.
Speaker 8: Leaves.
Speaker 3: Yeah so so here's here's how all blackberries. Grow that they send up a shoot out of the base out of the soil, typically and it grows the first, year and it may branch the first year. Too the second year it produces berries and then it slowly. Dies so once you've harvested a shoot coming up out of the, ground go ahead and cut it off because it will not bear again after that winter time that it went. Through, yes so the first year we call them a primocine prime is in one year number. One then they go through winter and they become a. Floricane, now some of the thornlets like what you're talking, about they will produce in the primacine year the first, year but after the second year they need to be. Removed and so those shoots are. Fine WHAT i would do rufus is once it gets up to about chest, HIGH i would pinch the top out or snip the top out of, it and it'll force more side. Shoots and those side shoots will be where you get all your your, fruit the primary fruit from. Those so time to some people put a wire across. There, pardon.
Speaker 14: You're right, AGAIN i, have.
Speaker 13: BUT i haven't caught them.
Speaker 3: Yet.
Speaker 13: YEAH i left them long BECAUSE i didn't want to damage because the fruit came on so. Prolifically it's just.
Speaker 3: Massive that's, Fine but that's. Fine get the ones that are. Fruit tell me the tell me the. Name tell me again the name of the.
Speaker 13: VARIETY i Have, apache and Some navajo and.
Speaker 8: Some uh what's the other? One god there they're Native indian. Names but but, yes.
Speaker 3: Those are all. Bread.
Speaker 13: YEAH i have a patch off that have fruit on. It now when the summer's.
Speaker 3: Over, With if on The apache and on The, navajo they're not going to bear. Again so once they, fruited you cut them. Off then you take those vigorous shoots that you've been talking about and you lift them up and tie them to the. Wire it's good to have a vertical, WIRE i mean a horizontal wire going, about you, know about chest high or, something and you can tie them to, that tip them and then they'll they'll produce their side, shoots which will produce next year's crop for. You if it's some if it's one of the the everbearing and not ever. Bearing if it's one of the primate cane, bearers then you get a little bit the first year, too and then you can also have some the second. Year but generally blackberries producing the second year that a shoot has, grown and then it will not refruit after. That, okay good luck with, those have. FUN i remember you just on guarden. LINE i don't charge for, advice BUT i do ask for half the produce you. Get so just bring me half your. Blackberries we're gonna call it. Even. Thanks that's what you. Do you take, care you, Bed you take. Care nurseries has got a deal going on right. NOW i was telling you about it. Earlier but the crape. Myrtles they have a great deal going on with crape. Myrtles have you did you hear me? Earlier ten percent off all the crape myrtle trees and the. Roses ten percent off the. Roses and if you're looking for some cool yard, art they've got in by yard, ART i even mean the little arches and panels you know that trellises that you would grow things on all those metal, ones as well as some cute metal. Decorations they've got that for twenty percent off right now this weekend only For Memorial day savings at r C W. Nurseries, now while you're, there you're going to find lots of other. Things you. KNOW i always brag about Their cajun, hibiscus WHICH i just think is the, gaudiest prettiest Hibiscus i've, seen really cool tropical. Hibiscus they've got all kinds of plants for, heat and then when it comes to shrubs in general and, trees super top quality FROM marcw Nurses they're located corner Of Tombo parkway and, beltwaita let's go to fulsher now and we're going to talk To. Scott, Hello, scott welcome to Garden. Line Good, lawren thanks for having.
Speaker 13: Me, HEY i got a question regarding. FURTIGATION i was driving home AND i THOUGHT i had.
Speaker 21: This great idea to purtilize through my sprinkler. System AND i started doing research on, it and it looked like they were doing it in the eighties for quite a, while and it really fell off the. Map and SO i was, wondering after doing some research and, forums why we don't use it in The houston. Area are if the benefits and it did benefits of using.
Speaker 8: It down, here.
Speaker 3: You're referring to the furtigation. Specifically, yes, yeah furtigation is a process that is best used for fine tuning the timing of nutrient. Applications so if you needed to get plants real quick nitrogen, boost you could do it through a dissolved nitrogen source in your irrigation. Water that's for those, listening that's what furtigation. Is it's fertilizing in the. Irrigation that's where the word furtigation comes. From if you had like an iron, deficiency you, know maybe you would put something in for. That as far as what do you pay per pound of, nutrient it's a much more expensive way to. Fertilize you, know it's less expensive to put a dry granule on the, surface work it, in and you, know fertilize that, way the traditional. Way there's nothing wrong with the. Furtigation you just need to have an injector that puts it out at the right, rate not too, strong and you need to have a backflow preventter so that when it goes, off sometimes there can be a backflow into your your water system and then you would have contaminated your water with that fertilizer. Water so there's a breaker valve that prevents the back. Flow you need to have that for. Sure but the some injectors force the fertilizer into the irrigation system like with a, pump and some of them use something called a venture system whereas the water flows, by it just naturally pulls a little bit of the fertilizer water into. It those are less, expensive much less technical to deal, with but not as controllable and accurate as a pump system would.
Speaker 21: Be, okay, thanks Kip.
Speaker 13: YE i WAS i was wondering if you know they if they need The venturi.
Speaker 21: System they do it drip almost and it's like a microdosing of fertilizer.
Speaker 8: Constantly but, yes you know when we.
Speaker 21: Do, It, yeah we'll do it once or twice the summer and then the.
Speaker 13: Wintertime and you, know is it is it possiful.
Speaker 15: To do something like?
Speaker 13: That and will it hurt your flower?
Speaker 3: Beds, no it won't. Hurt IF i were spraying it onto the foliage of, THINGS i wouldn't be real crazy about spraying a fertilizer onto the foliage if it got too. Strong but if it's in a proper. Rate that would be just. Fine you can certainly do. That the other thing to keep in, mind you, know when you're doing the furtigating is just make sure it's small doses over. Time and, yeah the venturi is it's a little typically it looks like just a little section of plastic that has a hose that comes out of, it and you have a five gallon bucket with your fertilizer in. It you drop that hose into the five gallon bucket and as the water flows by in your, irrigation it just pulls it out of the. Bucket that's the simplest.
Speaker 5: System, okay thank you very.
Speaker 3: Much, yeah just make sure and get fertilizer that's made for, that because a lot of fertilizer comes in a clay based particle and other, things and you don't want stuff like that clog in your. System, okay that'll do, it, Alrighty, YEAH i haven't had a fertile furtigation question in a long. Time it was. Good good to get one of those. Nitropas superturf is the silver bag that you see in feed. Stores you see it in ase hardware, stores you see it In southwest. Fertilizer you see it in garden, centers our independent garden centers around. Town Nitroposs superturf nineteen four, ten silver bag feeds for sixteen. WEEKS i don't know what else to say about. It it's the way to fertilize your lawn in the summer is slow. Release that's the. Way and superturf is exactly.
Speaker 9: That.
Speaker 3: Superturf you put it down and if you do it now and return your, clippings your next fertilization will be this. Fall we're to point now where super turf will carry in with the return clippings and you'll be just fine all the way going into. Fall you're going to find it at a number of places LIKE Rcw nursery Carries Nito fass products the plants for all. Seasons On Tomball parkway right there just north Of lueta carries Night fosh, products d and de, feed And tomball carries night To fresh, products as does The Intended forest down in The Richmond rosenberg area works super super. Well by the, way if you need compost top dressing, Done Green pro are the folks that can do. It they serve the northwest quadrant Of, houston That's interstate forty five TO i ten the northwest. Quadrant they can do core aeration and they can do compost top, dressing and those two together will do more for your lawn than just about ANYTHING i can think. Of greenprotexas Dot com eight three two three five one zero zero three. Two, hey welcome back to The. Guardenline i'm your, host Skip rick for good to have you back with. Us glad to give me a. Call here's what you's got to. Do reach me seven to one three two one two ktr h seven one three two one two ktr. H going just for a. BREAKDOUGH i was talking about Green pro and the services they, offer the compost top, dressing the core, aeration that combo it feeds the soil biology by and it aerates the sort it breathes life into the, soil if you, will because it pops the plugs out of the, ground and then the compost stop dressing some of that falls into those holes, too and it just it's what makes golf courses do aerration all the. Time if you've got an area that's got a lot of foot, traffic especially that soil, compaction the roots can't get oxygen and then they can't take up nutrients and they can't develop a good deep root, system and it just fixes. That that's why it's so cool to do the. Correration in graenpro green, protexts they do. It they do it in the northwest quadrant Of houston. Area that Means interstate forty five around To interstate iten think of it from nine o'clock to twelve. O'CLOCK i guess if you're looking at a looking down at a, clock that is The houston. Map Intended forest down In Richmond rosenberg is one of the places that if you've not been there, before you've got a. VISIT i know most of you probably have gone now standing, there she everybody knows about it and they love. It Intended forest has a selection of plants that are just like none. Other they specialize in, pollinators nectar rich plants to support bees and butterflies and. Hummingbirds they still have different kinds of milkweed. Around you, know the plants that attract the adult, butterflies but also the plants that feed their. Larvae so important if you want to have a butterfly. Garden YESTERDAY i was at my daughter's house and she has a citrus TREE i believe it was a lime and there was a swallowtail butterfly flapping around the, tree AND i just pointed, OUT i go that one is going to lay an egg and the caterpillar is going to look like bird poop when you go out to look at it's it's gonna look like bird poop on the. Branch but it's a swallowtail. Caterpillar so that lime tree is actually producing butterflies for her. Yard isn't that? Cool And Chendi forest knows all about. That they got lots and lots of great, options big, giant beautiful shade. Trees it doesn't matter how hot it gets, outside it's a good day to go out and wander through the shade Added Enchanted forest to see the wonderful things they have to. Offer Enchanted, Forest, RICHMOND tx dot com say that. Again Enchanted, Forest, RICHMOND tx dot. Com, oba The Organic Horticulture Benefits alliance is having an. Event it's a fourth annual one Called Oba. Palooza Oba palooza is the kind of celebration you would expect with a name like. That it's a fourth Annual Oba Palooza Organic fair And. Workshop be a full day full of Organic, Gardening Sustainable living and ecological inspiration, Lectures Joe, Lample Joe. Gardner if you don't Know Joe, gardner he's a, great great, guy great great. Programs, excellent, excellent. Excellent he'll be there speaking eight other organic expert lead breakout sessions will also be going. On jo'll be doing a keynote and doing another talk as, WELL i, believe and there will be lots of engaging. Talks, really it's hands on, insight by the, Way i'll be speaking. There i'm going to be one of the speakers AT Oba palooza this. Year so the question is when is? It, Well august, second from eight am to four. Pm where is? It United way Of Greater houston at fifty waw waug H, Drive United way Of Greater, Houston august, second eight to four. Pm if you're interested in, registering you do need to register. Now IT'S oba online dot org slash REGISTER ohba online dot org slash. REGISTER oba members one hundred dollars FOR oba members non members one twenty. Five but you're gonna Get you're gonna get a, breakfast, break an afternoon, break a, lunch a very healthy lunch, meal and lots and lots and lots of. Sessions you will very much enjoy it and come out and see. Me say hi to. Me if you, Come i'll be there speaking as. Well At Oba Palooza, Saturday august, Second. United we Have Greater houston ON wad, Drive oba, online dot, org slash. REGISTER i say that. Enough there's a lot of information for you to get. On you, know you're supposed to listen to Garden line with a pen and paper handy at all times because we're always giving away things given, away well given, out things that you need to. Know As amite is the micro nutrients. Supplement you hear me talk about it all the time here on Garden. Line azamite contains those nutrients that are essential for plant growth and, development but needed in tiny. Amounts that's the important. Thing trace minerals micro, nutrients same, thing trace minerals micro, nutrients small. Amounts put it in your soul's bank account every day of the, year three hundred and sixty five days a, year twenty four hours a. Day when are roots SAYS i need, some let's say, boron it's there because as might provided it for. You that's how that. WORKS Asmit texas dot com take care of the. Micros build your soul bank account with a quality product like as. Might, hey if you'd like to give me a call and talk about uh something relates to your garden or your lawn or your house. Plants, uh why not do? That seven one three two one two k T R h seven one three two one two k T r. H. Uh it is a kind of quiet time right, Now so maybe get in a caller to you here before the end of this little. Segment. Uh three Sixty tree stabilizers are the new. PRODUCT i say new the last ten. Years it's an ingenious. Product it attaches to a, post a regular post or A t. Post there's a little adapter that attaches TO t. Posts the other side attaches to your tree. Trunk it's a very stiff arm that grabs onto the tree and holds, it allowing just a little bit of. Movement you set that strap around the tree a little loose so that the tree can. Move movement means a stronger trunk and stronger anchoring brace roots at the base of the. Tree you need a tree to not be staked perfectly, still but to move a little bit and with the tree. Stick sixty tree. Stabilizer you have that you have that prerogative to be able to do. That it's an adjustable arm goes to different. Lengths you can use two of. Them if you've got a lot of wind and you need to control north, south east west and just give a little extra, stability you can put two on on. There if you have a multi trunk crape, morale you've, planted put one on one trunk going north, south one on another trunk going east. West you're. Covered you're gonna find them At plants For All seasons on two forty. Nine you're going to find them At Buchanan's Navy plants in The. Heights you'll find them AT R C w where two forty nine comes into Belt, way eight at jorgeesid And gardens down In, alvin At Siena maltz down In, sienna south Of houston south and little to the. West and you're gonna find them At arbigate up In tomball just west Of tombul on twenty nine to twenty three Sixty tree. Stabilizers i've got two of them right now on trees in my yard and they just set it and you're you're good to. Go they will take care of the. Job even when we have storms come. Through those little trees are doing just great because of the three sixty tree stabilizer that is on. Them Ace Hardware. Stores you hear me talk ABOUT ace all the. TIME ace is the, place you. Know it's a hardware. Store it's got everything you. Need everything your dad's or grandpa's hardware store, had But aces have so much. More they've got some really good deals going on with barbecue pets right. Now it's a great team to. BUY i bought my own just during this great sale that they had going. On they also are going to have every kind of fertilizer you're going to need for your lawn and pest control products and we control, products and tools and sprinklers and hoses and things to prune and whatever you need to make a more, bountiful beautiful garden and, landscape you're going to find. It Ace Hardware. Now you can go to the WEBSITE Ace Hardware texas dot. Com there you'll FIND Ace hardware stores LIKE k and M ace In, umble k and M, Atascasita ace In, Umble. Texas Plantation, hardware which is down On Mason road In, Richmond. Texas Rockport Ace hardware And, Rockport. Cyprus Ace hardware On Jones, Road Deer park on sixteen Hundred Center street In Deer, Park League, City Ace hardware On West League City parkway In League. City and how about this. ONE k AND. M kingwood up there In, Kingwood texas On Kingwood. Drive those are just a few of the Many Ace hardware stores part of my garden Line Houston Ace Hardware. Team you can go To Ace Hardware texas dot com and find out. More find the store near. You let's take a little. Break we'll be right back with your. CALLS o car, Right we're, back. Folks good to have you with. Us he lost nursery down In. Seabrook you need to go check them. Out gem's always got truckloads of things coming out done At Moss. Nursery, beautiful, beautiful. Beautiful he has some altheas that are just gorgeous colors of pink and white hot, pink almost a kind of a lavendery colored one as. Well single, flower double, flowers most. Updouble they're. Beautiful it's a great Old southern, shrub been around for a long. Time it looks. Good he also has EXTRA i don't talk About xora very much. Here but he's got some types that go four to five feet, high like the Yellow exorra. Sunset specifically that variety The Maui red is kind of a. Dwarf it gets about two to three feet tall and wide along the, coast along the bay and all that area really down. There extra is an outstanding. Plan people playing it all the way well up Into houston as well and. Beyond just. Gorgeous it never gets too, hot it never gets too. Humid you can dead head them so that they do bloom a little bit, more but it's not. Necessary but when you go To Moss, nursery you're going to find all kinds of unusual and really really cool. Things and don't forget it is tax free, Weekend Wellmorial day weekend that is today Through. Monday multious, soils water, fishing, plants rain, barrels all kinds of things are listed as tax. Free if it saves. Water it's going to be a tax free weekend at all our garden, centers including A Moss nursery and Garden. Center we're going to head now out to The woodlands and talk To. Jeanette, Hello, Jeannette welcome to Garden. Line, hi good.
Speaker 22: Morning my question IS i have a willow oak tree that is approximately one hundred feet.
Speaker 15: Tall and when it gets, dry it limbs break off and.
Speaker 23: Drop and this is a really big tree and really large, limbs AND i just want to know WHAT i can do to help with.
Speaker 10: That not.
Speaker 3: Much maintaining adequate soil moisture helps a little, bit But southern limb drop in the summer is a very peculiar. Phenomenon there's different speculations as to why it. Happens but you can have a perfectly still day in the middle of summer and a limb just snaps out of a tree and. Falls it's a weird, deal but it you, know what is in your power is to make sure the tree doesn't get drought. Stressed sometimes it's associated with maybe an injury to the trunk or a bore inside or something that's weakening the, limb but not. Necessarily sometimes you look at the fallen limb and you can't figure out what. Happened it's not rotten, inside it just it just does. It, unfortunately we don't have a spray or a magical cure to make it go.
Speaker 24: Away that's exactly What i've been experiencing FOR i don't know ten or more.
Speaker 23: YEARS i have been watering it around the trunk to help.
Speaker 3: It then that seems to be uh huh. Successful, yeah all, Right, well you, know don't just water at the trunk, though water out as far as the branch. Spread and when you, water do a good. Skin you don't have the water every. Day you don't have to water every week even but if ever weeks during hot summer, drought you could give a soaking of about an inch or more of water all through that area beneath the branch, spread a good deep, soaking then that will. Help all, Right, yeah all, right thanks so. Much all, right you, bet you. Bet you take. Care we're gonna go To andy now In college. Station, Hey, andy welcome to garden. Line, hey thanks so.
Speaker 11: Much you long story, short top seeded top, tops put sand dirt saying top soil all over the. Yard and then about two weeks AGO i seated from you to grass all over and we went to the producers co opt to do.
Speaker 15: That it's been two.
Speaker 11: Weeks no grass does it sometime it takes longer than?
Speaker 12: That or is it all or?
Speaker 18: Not or?
Speaker 3: What, well like any, seed whether it's a vegetable or a weed or a desirable plant like your bermuda. Grass your, plant it it just has to stay moist consistently in order for it to. Germinate so you don't want to mix the seed in too. Deep just scratch them barely into the, surface water them in real, well and keep it moist as best you. Can so you don't want to put on an inch of, water but you want to put on small amounts frequently to maintain. Moisture once the seed starts to, germinate if it dries, out it. Dies so that's the key early on with a little tiny seed like your bermuda, grass is to keep it consistently moist equi. Moist and then once it gets, established then we begin to wean back to watering very. Infrequently those first weeks you just need to, yeah several. Weeks, yeah once it, germinates it's gonna need at least another couple of. Weeks a pretty GOOD tlc there to keep it. Going and hope we don't get a gully. Washer what usually happens when you seed out bermuda as you get a gully washer and then it washes all the seed off into one spot and so you got a real furry spot on the ground and then a spout. Nothing Uh so that's what we like to try to avoid if we.
Speaker 11: Can that's WHY i waited till after we got that five minutes rang about a month.
Speaker 3: Ago, yeah, yeah well thank, you that's right tomorrow. Weekend yeah you as. Well thanks a. Lot appreciate the. Call, Andy you take care up. There say hi to them at producers for. Me all, righty, well there you, go. Folks, uh that is the thing On it's one REASON i don't recommend seating for turf lawns most more number, one most of our, goods most of our good southern. Species there's not a good seed option. Permuta there. Is that's an exception terms of seed, options but it's a little hard to get it going and get. Success a lot cheaper than. Sodding but uh yeah to more of, it more of a. Challenge, hey the folks At arburgate are loaded for bear when it comes to all kinds of things that you're going to want a. Plant remember this is tax free, Weekend so things that help save, water, plants, trees, grasses, soil compost and Mult remember when you go To. Arbrogate you've got their one two three System organic Food, complete that's a fertilizer for anything with. Roots organic soil, complete which is the soil that contains expanded shale which helps keep the clay open very very. Well and Then organic compost complete also contains expanded. Shale those last two organic soil and organic compost, complete both of them are available by. Bulk all the folks At arburgate let them tell you about how to get a bulk order in place for. You arbrogate is a wonderful place to. Visit in, fact today would be a good time to go out. There they have got some gorgeous, TROPICALS i mean, beautiful beautiful tropical. Plants you know the elephant. Ears both the allocations where the leaf points kind of up or a little bit, horizontal and then the collocations where the leaf hangs. Downward the point of the leaf is kind of pointing more. Downward beautiful, colors of course, green but ones with colorful petioles of the leaf like a purple, petiole or with markings in the, leaf or with beautiful colored. Leaves you want a tropical, paradise you've got to have some collocations and allocations And arburgate has got you covered with that and done. Some today at ten, am the men AND i quit talking on Garden. Line Henry flowers is going to be talking At arborgate with an introduction to culinary. Herbs ten am Today arburgate introduction to culinary. Herbs you don't want to miss. That when they're located on twenty nine to just a mile and a half west of two forty, nine just west Of tomball on twenty nine twenty remember to go around the back On Triisher road where you can get, good, easy safe access to that back parking. Lot it's the only ONE i used now love that parking. Lot great new addition there For. Ourburgate, well you're listening To. Guardenline i'm your, Host Skip, richtor and we're going to take a top of the hour. Break if you would like to be on when we come, back be one of the first ones. Up now it would be a good time to Call alejandro and have him get you on on the air with. Me get you on the board so we're ready to. Go all you gotta do is called seven one, three two one two fifty eight seventy. Four if you like letters seven to one three two one two k t R h and we'll get you off to a really good. START i was talking earlier about putting in a new lawn and the importance of getting red of perennial weeds. FIRST i don't care if it takes three or four weeks to get it. Done whatever it, takes get it. Done no nut's, edge no bermuda, grass no perennial weeds, underneath because they're going to pop right through and then it's harder to deal with them in the. Lawn the other thing to, remember get your lawn area leveled, out bring in some, soil smooth it out a little, bit get it leveled out really. Nice and before you put on the. SOD i usually about a day BEFORE i put on, side will water it pretty, good not to turn it into a mud, swamp but just to moisten. It allow it a day or two to kind of soak, in and then lay your sod and begin watering. Immediately immediately means. Immediately last TIME i put in, SID i hadn't put in probably twenty feet of, it AND i already have somebody squirting it with water to just to hold on because that sod doesn't have hardly any root, system and that little narrow strip of black, clay soil or, sand depending on where you buy, it that it came in. On you got to keep that plant alive til it gets roots in the. Ground so to make it over simple in the heat of summer in the, sun twice a day the first, week once a day the second. Week i'm not talking about putting an inch of water on twice a. Day that'd be what fourteen inches a. Week, no you don't have to do. That you just wet it a little bit and then wet it again later in the. Day the next, day wed it a little, bit good, morning early, morning mid, afternoon do it, again and then back off to once a. Week now in shade or when temperatures are, cooler not as, critical but it's still as very important if you want. Success all, right, folks we got an hour left in us. Today let's do. This welcome back To. Guardenline i'm your, Host Skip. Richter it is good to have you with. Us glad you're with us. Today, HEY i want to remind. You i'll start telling you about this, earlier but there will be a patriotic concert In sugarland honoring our fallen heros This Memorial day. Weekend here's the. Facts write this Down, Sunday may twenty, Fifth that is tomorrow seven o five pm at The Sugarland Town, Square Sugarland Town. Square if you want more, information Contact Scott. Author he is available at seven to one three eight two four sixty one twenty. Six Scott author seven one three eight two four sixty one twenty. Six it is going to be a really special. Amount there's gonna be a lot of local talent, there a number of different, singers ballet, dancers good. Night it's quite a tribute to those who gave their life for the. Country singer Songwriters bill And Kim nash are going to be part of this as. Well they've grabbed me award winning folks. There. Uh sugarland resident And Texas Radio hall Of fame Member Scott author will m see the event that that is going to be. Cool you know they do. This this is in the first time they've done. It they've done this. Before i've talked about it more than once here on Guard. Line. Uh they suggest you bring some can food donations with you when you come because it's a free. Event by the, Way East Fort Bend Human Needs ministry will be served with those can food donations that you. Bring, oh and bring a lawn chair so you have a good place to sit. Again Sugar, Land Sunday, tomorrow seven five. Pm patriotic concert in Sugar land for honoring the fallen heroes on This Memorial day. Weekend there'll be a brass. Band oh my, gosh it's gonna be. Good it's gonna be good for mor. Info it's got author seven to, one three eight, two four sixty one twenty. Six all, right hope you got. That let's now head. Out we're gonna we're gonna go, east, Right we're gonna go east all the way To New, Orleans, louisiana and talk To. Susan, Hey, susan welcome to.
Speaker 22: Garden, hey good, morning thank. YOU i have a high biscus that dies back every. Year it's the very showy bloomy large blooms And i'm. Curious it's about. Good what's the best way to treat that to to print it so THAT i can.
Speaker 3: Get the most budge and flowers this. Summer, yeah in the, area probably, dies it dies to the, ground, Right, yes just cut it off a few inches above the, ground just just a couple of inches above the, ground and it'll come back out from the base and a whole bunch of isshoots out as it has for you each, year you know, that. Right that's. It then then once it's, growing you don't need to do additional. Pruning you can cut back on them some but most people just let them. Grow and the hibiscus as long as it's, growing it's producing clusters of buds as you've seen each, summer and it just each bud is open for a, day, right so.
Speaker 22: After they, BLOOM i don't dead ahead it or. Anything it will it produce more flowers after. That so once it goes, through its, cool it's finished.
Speaker 3: Blooming yeah, Nothing, yeah that's. Correct that, okay, yeah, no nothing to do that cluster just they all take their turns and. Uh but you know what a cool thing you can do with, it, though is if you will pick them when they're almost fully opened in the morning and put them in the. Refrigerator they will sit there until the evening and not with her. Up you can put them in you can put a little shallow bowl of water in, there but you don't need, to and you bring them out and if you have an evening, gathering you can set them around on tables without water and they just look beautiful for a good while in the. Evenings, otherwise by evening the bloom would have already been curling up and not looking so. Good so that's just a little tip.
Speaker 22: THERE i have a great.
Speaker 3: Idea thank you all, right all, right you, bet thanks for the. Call Tak care bye. Bye if you're trying to give your lawn a, good nice quick, boost Sweet green from the folks At, nitrofoss we'll do. It sweet greens and organic type fertilizer in that it's a natural, Base it smells, wonderful and it fitted out it dissolves. Away being high carbon, material it is just like rocket fuel for beneficial microbes in the. Soil they love carbon based. Sources you. Know organic gardeners have known you put like molasses, out which is a sugar, carbon and it just makes microbes go. Nuts it's a really good environment for optimum health and performance of your. Lawn Sweet green eleven percent, nitrogen which is high for an organic type. Product you're going to find it at dozens of retailers all around. Town you can go To Stafford Court hardware On South. Maine you can go to THE m AND d And cyprus up on The, weta or just down south of there The Langham Creek Ace hardware on five twenty, nine go up To Ospas ace in The, woodlands or go To Ace Hardware city On Memorial. Drive all places that carry Night fosh. Products we're going to add now Two richmond And type Two. Frauda hello For hannah Regard.
Speaker 25: Line thank you, sir good money. LEARNING i have a, question and thank you for taking my phone. CALL i appreciate THAT.
Speaker 7: I purchase a house back in twenty twenty.
Speaker 26: Three it's a brand new. HOUSE i have a. Tree it's a small tree in my front. Chart but since twenty twenty, THREE i do not see that tree is. Growing it's still, green but it's not it's not REALLY i think it's it's.
Speaker 7: Not going or say something.
Speaker 18: WRONG i asked my gardener.
Speaker 26: And he put some fertilizer in.
Speaker 9: It so that's help.
Speaker 26: It and it's becoming more blooming and more green and. Green but it's still love without is? It is it?
Speaker 9: Really you?
Speaker 1: Know is it?
Speaker 6: Growing so can you advise?
Speaker 15: Me so.
Speaker 3: For, hanah tell me what kind of tree it is do you happen to.
Speaker 26: Know i'm so.
Speaker 3: Sorry, now that's, okay that's. Okay here's the. Thing it could be a lack of, moisture and it could be a lack of. Nutrients fertilizing is always a good, idea but watering during, hot dry weather is even more important to get a tree to grow. Fast another thing that speeds up growth is to get the grass and weeds. Away if you can create a mulched bed around. It you, know if you can only make it two feet out from the, trunk that's. Fine if you can make it, wider that's even. Better but that helps speed. Growth sometimes For, hana trees sit in the pot too long and the roots go around and around in, there and then when you put them in the, ground if you don't cut those, roots they they don't unwind underground and they don't venture out into the soil as well as they would had they been cut or not left in the pot so. Long at the garden centers and, growers but that could be the case with, IT i, would you, know it's kind of hard to say without me digging it up and looking at, it BUT i would try the. MULCHING i would try making sure it's getting out of quate. Water and if you wanted to take a hand, trowel let me ask you. This do you remember when it went in the ground in twenty twenty? Three do you remember about how big that pot?
Speaker 20: Was?
Speaker 3: Is are we looking at like a five gallon bucket or we looking at a one gallon? Tree or were looking at something much? Bigger i'm not.
Speaker 26: Sure if you, LIKE i can take some pictures to.
Speaker 3: You, yeah you can do. THAT i, would you, KNOW i would take a hand, trowel dig around the, tree look for roots going in a, circle and if you see, them cut, them cut a few of. Them but right, NOW i think the most important thing is going to be multing it to keep the weeds away the competition down watering it second most important, thing, watering, watering watering during dry hot, weather and then finally continuing to. Fertilize if you have lawn, fertilizer and you put about two cups for every inch of trunk, Diameter so if that tree was the size of a, broomstick you, know then maybe an inch, wide then it would get two cups of. Fertilizer if it's the size of a soft drink, can A Coca cola can that's about three inches, across so that would be six cups of, fertilizer but not dumped at the, bottom but spread in a big circle around.
Speaker 7: It, okay, Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to have to, run BUT i do wish you. WELL i need. TO i need to run to a. Break but thank you very much for your. Call we'll be right. Back. Folks with the calls From lisa And, SEABROOK i See carl and Clear lake And nick And. Cypers, hey welcome back To. Guardline good davey with us. Today thanks for joining. Us i'm your, Host Skip, richter and we're here to help you have, bounty beauty and. Fun that's the. Goal that's what gardens and landscapes and lawns and whatnot should. Be let's do. That we can do. It give me a, call let's figure out what's going, wrong if something's going, wrong or how to plan and prepare so that things just hit the ground. Running cinamulch down south Of houston is your one stop shop for all things foundational to. Success brown stuff before green stuff means fix the soil, first then put in the good quality. Plants that want to grow, here and that's the recipe for. Success cienamulch is Near highway six and two eighty eight ON fm five point twenty seven south Of. Houston the website mark this Down cienamulch dot, com cnmulch dot. Com it is a one stop. Shop mulches composts various kinds of soil blend products Like Landscaper's Pride Veggie, urbics just being one example of the many things they carry. There they carry roast soil as, well by the, way fertilizers for microlife And nelson's and medina and nitrofoss and Azamite Sienna mulch when you if you're within twenty, miles they'll deliver for a small. Fee but when you Leave Siena malch you've got everything you need to get that plant off to a good. Start AS i like to, say you want your plans to hit the ground running and not just sit there soil. First Cianna maltch is a place to get that. Done we're going to go now out To, Seabrook texas and talk To. Lisa IF i can find the right button, Here, lisa there we. Go welcome to Garden. Line, Lisa, Hello, lisa we have you, Alrighty i'm gonna Put lisa back on. Hold we're gonna go a clear lake and talk To. Carl, Hello, Carl welcome to Garden.
Speaker 27: Line, hey how you doing.
Speaker 3: Doing? Good how can we help? Today?
Speaker 27: Uh i'm interested in buying a kumquat. Tree at the POT i was eating kumquats off a wild once And Hugh development came in and took it. Out, No AND i don't. KNOW i think the ONE i was eating was a. Nagami it was a little, tart but it was really. Good BUT i understand the knee walls are. SWEETER i don't know If i'd like that as much or. Not i'm probably gonna have to try a couple of to. Compare but, Anyway i'm going to buy one or the. OTHER i don't know where to buy. Them what the, pottom how the pottom or anything?
Speaker 13: Else can you give me some?
Speaker 10: Information all?
Speaker 3: Right? Well to buy? Him just tied right up To Moss. Nursery head up To Moss nursery And. Seabrook that's where you find. Them they're going to have them up. There if you have trouble finding them. There you can go down To Jorg Hidden gardens down Between alvin And Santa fe call, first but they're probably are going to have them down there as. Well Both maiwa and nagame are both good. Varieties one is more, round one is more. Oval but you, know with, kumquats it's the skin that is the primary thing we're interested in. Eating it's very, tasty makes good marmalade and all of. That you want to put it in soil that has got good organic matter content worked. In if drainage is at all a, question build a raised mound so it doesn't stay soggy, wet fertilized, moderately and they're one of the heartiest citrus you can, grow so you shouldn't have any problem in your area growing them. Successfully, now How.
Speaker 27: I'm going to put it in a pot BECAUSE i fled, here so that that's not good for. It SO i want to be able, to, okay you, know put them on a higher level or bring them. In how how big do they? Get is there a difference in size between in the gammi and The.
Speaker 3: No not, really not not. Much they do grow in a, pot but you need as big a pot as you can get so think in terms of the volume of a half whiskey. Barrel but don't put them in a wooden. Pot they'll rot. Out it'll rot. Out but about a half whiskey barrel in, size you're gonna need to use a dolly with a little strap around the pot to move it at that. Size but that way you'll get more of a plant that's less likely to be constantly drought stressed from being in too small of a. Pot, okay all, right, Sir i'm Gonna i'm gonna need to run to some pardon.
Speaker 27: Any any other advice on it is type of pinting soil to.
Speaker 7: Put, in.
Speaker 3: You, know a good quality in a big pot like. THAT i would probably use a rose. Soil it would work real well for, that excuse. Me but any kind of blend made for a container or a bed that's not too chunky would be good for. That and then fertilize them with a good citrus. Food the folks At Nelson Plant food have the jars of products for citrus and, fruit and that would be a good one to. Use And, CARL i got to run got some folks in line, here but good. LUCK i wish you well with. That, hey if you haven't been To Buchanans plants in The heights On Eleventh, street you got to get up there and do. It it is. Awesome by the, way if you have, kids kids need to get experiences getting their hands dirty and learning about plants and in If buchanans all summer, long there are things going, on like On may twenty, fourth there's a story time And paint a pot class with where kids get to paint their. Container On June Eleventh's, day get Kids. Craft On june twenty, first there's a story time with a dragonfly kids. Craft there's always something going. On you gotta go to the Website Buchanans Native plants are seeing Me Buchanans plants Dot. Com buchanansplants Dot. Com sign up for the newsletter find out about all this stuff right. Now they got some gorgeous desert roses in. Stock, oh those things are so. Beautiful they look. Great lots of hedranges and all kinds of plants for, pollinators and of course many many types of wonderful natives At Buchanans Native. Plants let's go back To seabrook now and talk To. Lisa, Hello, Lisa, HELLO i have a.
Speaker 7: QUESTION i would like to get a small tree that has white flowers from our front yard for a project we're. Doing we had looked at the little gym, magnolia but someone, said, well, no it still gets about thirty five.
Speaker 14: Feet it's a big.
Speaker 7: Tree so do you know of any small tree and? Else don't mention The chinese.
Speaker 3: Fringe chinese fringe is. Wonderful it gets medium size in, time but it grows kind of. Slow BUT i like. It it depends on your soil and the site as to how big it's going to. GET i typically it should be about a twenty five foot tree under great conditions in, time not a lot bigger than that most of the. Time you're going to keep it twenty or under most of the time on. Them it just depends on growing. Conditions then there are some dwarf or semi dwarf types of crape myrtle that don't there's crape myrtles that don't get twelve fifteen feet. Tall that would be another tree that you could consider if you want to go that. Route chinese, fringe, THOUGH i like it a. Lot it's a beautiful spring.
Speaker 7: Bloomer do you prefer The american fringe Over chinese frange or do you see a difference than them growing?
Speaker 3: Here, well people that are into native plants go With american fringe are much. Showier on A chinese, fringe they're much. Showier, Okay so there's not a right or. Wrong most, people you, know they want the, flashy pretty and SO i usually Say chinese. Fringe But american fringe is a good native. Tree it's just the blooms are not as white and showy as on A chinese.
Speaker 7: Fringe and is there a dwarf magnolia that's shorter than a little?
Speaker 2: Gem not?
Speaker 3: Really, no not not really that would that would not do. It were you wanting this tree for? Flowers are you wanting it just for?
Speaker 13: What?
Speaker 3: Evergreen or certainly not Show.
Speaker 7: At that, side the whole front yard is going to be just white. Flowers everything is white and. Green and SO i just, Thought, OKAY i like, MAGNOLIA i like to, leave BUT i don't want anything that's.
Speaker 28: Huge, yeah there are, some there are some other white blooming, trees BUT i don't think anything's going to stay the size you want dependently that's truly that.
Speaker 3: Showy, okay thank you all, right good luck with, That thanks for the. Call appreciate. That APPRECIATE u talking to you. Today let's see WHERE i AM i, Here, oh Jungle. Land Jungle land is distributed By nitrofoss and it is a quality mix for your. Containers there's an indoor and there's an outdoor. Version either way you, go whether it's the flour and vegetable outdoor or the jungle l and water saver, indoor it's going to work well for. You distributed by Night, Frosh you're gonna find it in places Like Ace hardwa Or Sinkle, Ranch Mason, Road Katie hardware On Pinoak hiding and Feed Stubner. Airline these are all. Places there's a lot of Night fosh products out, there but these are all places that carry Night fresh products in. General and with the Jungle, land you've got a well draining mix that is going to hold adequate amounts of moisture but still drain away the excess as long as it's in a good container with good drainage down. Below all, right, here let's SEE i tell you what we're going to. Go Uh, Marty, UH i want to have you tell us a little bit about The Lone Star American Hibiscus. Society you got about thirty seconds to do it before we have to hit a hard.
Speaker 18: Break, okay well, Skip thanks for the. Opportunity we are Selling Cajun hibiscus at The. St Basil hall at seven oh Two Bernie road In sugarland today only from eleven until we're sold.
Speaker 3: Out, Okay and that is the hall in Sugar, land.
Speaker 6: Right, correct Mich.
Speaker 18: Columbus all, right, well thank, you thank.
Speaker 3: You that's The Lone Star American Hibiscus. Society all, right thank, You. MARTY i wanted to try to squeeze in. Here if we could appreciate that information for, people maybe they'd be interested in joining The Lone Star Hibiscus society as. Well we'll be right back, already Little Steve miller to bring us back in garden. Line last half hour of the day coming up, Here, Hey may Is National Humates? Month what is? Humate what is? Humus humus is a final decomposition stage of organic. Matter wonderful soil improver helps our clays has lots of of, course lots of. Carbon it's a good it's a good way to sequester carbon in the. Soil as a matter of, fact lots of different species of beneficial microbes in, it including strains of microhizol fungi. Too microlife has a product called humts. Plus it is a purple. Bag you can put it out on your lawns like you know when you do your, fertilizing just put your fertilizer, out come, back load up With Microlife humates. Plus it's a zero zero four purple bag and put it. Out And national Hum Mats month we talk about Hum mates because there are so many good things that they. Do humates are designed into nature to make soil, better whether it's root, development whether it's nutrient, uptake just in all kinds of ways you made sure part of the natural cycle and making, great great soil which makes great great. Plants And microlife sketch covered. There you go to Micro Life fertilizer dot com and find out more about. It and just one more reminder on this. Today Oba palooza Is Saturday august. Second this is a big all day training Featuring Joe. Gardner joe the is nationally known a garden. Expert i'll be there speaking as well as many other. SPEAKERS Oba Palooza, Saturday august, second eight am to four. Pm if you want more, information go TO HbA online dot org slash. Register we're going to run now out To, Cypress texas and talk To. Nick, Hey, Nick welcome to Garden.
Speaker 23: Line good, Morning, skimpyrio.
Speaker 3: Doing, well doing? Well understand you sent me an? Email is that?
Speaker 23: Correct, yes, SIR i sent you a picture of a tree in my.
Speaker 3: Backyard when did you send?
Speaker 14: Us?
Speaker 3: Nick?
Speaker 9: Uh not?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 23: Okay your your screener said he had, it pulled up an email FROM i.
Speaker 3: Am, Yeah i'm. Looking i'm not seeing. It it's Under. KIM i. Think, yeah well, Hmmm i'll keep. Looking but tell me about what tell me about what we're.
Speaker 23: Looking when you get the, picture you can just you. Can the question is the tree is actually a v. Tree it's like two trees in one And i'm wanting to get rid of.
Speaker 10: One part of.
Speaker 23: It and the split is at the very base of, it not very much as they probably about two feet up and it, splits and it's two different. Trees do you understand WHAT i?
Speaker 3: Mean? Okay AND i will what? Size the size of those two trunks bigger than.
Speaker 23: They're they're twenty plus years, old so they're pretty. BIG i would, say maybe it's hard to tell exactly how big they. ARE i can't wrap my hands around.
Speaker 13: Either. Women let's put it that.
Speaker 3: Way, Okay so here here's the here's the bottom. Line anytime you it gets that far along before you make the, cut there's gonna be a big section of exposed interior wood way before it can heal and close or close over that, Wound you're gonna end up with decay going. On so the base of that tree is gonna be weaker than the rest of the, tree which means during a decade down the, line during a good, storm it's more likely to snap. Off. There there's nothing you can do to fix it or prevent. It there's no sense in painting the cut that only actually makes it low worse in terms of not rotting. Inside so you just have to make your best. CHOICE i would go with the you, know whichever one is a little, bigger maybe or pointing in the direction you need it to, point if one leans away from the house versus toward, it for, example go with the one leaning away just in.
Speaker 23: Case, okay so you're, saying go ahead and cut, it but leave the bigger.
Speaker 10: One is that my?
Speaker 3: Understanding if. Possible, yeah all things being, equal leave the bigger. One all things being, equally lead the one leaning away from the, house those kinds of. Things but that's that's kind of the situation you're. In there's there's no magic cure on this. One, okay, okay.
Speaker 23: YEAH i figured.
Speaker 16: That but the all right one THAT i want to get rid of is over my.
Speaker 10: House so that's What i'm.
Speaker 3: Wanting, Okay, well there you. Go all. Right SO i just, hey thank, you thank, you thank. You, yes, sir that's. It thanks for the. Call appreciate that very. Much good luck with. That by the, Way year Round houston dot. Com that's the name of the. Company that's the name of the. Website year Round houston dot. Com there're specialists at corrooration and composttop. Dressing if you are inside The, beltway there are Garden, Line cororator and compost Top. Dresser year Round houston dot. Com eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty, five top quality, composts good quality. Aerration it works year Round houston dot. Com, Uh we're going to go now To beaumont and talk To Mary. King, Hey Mary, King welcome to.
Speaker 15: Gardener, hi thank you for taking my.
Speaker 17: CALL i have a biscuits one That i've had for several. Years in the last several years it has not. Bloomed this year it's got beautiful green leaves and still no. Flowers AND i have fertilized it in the ONE i want last year it's starting to do the same. Thing pretty green, leaves but no. HOURS i don't know.
Speaker 3: What, Okay if the plant looks, good just make sure you're not overdoing the nitrogen the first number on the fertilizer. Bag that makes it grow real. Fast and with a lot of, plants when you overdo the, nitrogen they don't bloom as. Well you need to turn the radio off there in the, Background, mary turn the rady the. Other the other thing is make sure it gets really good. Sunlight the more sunlight you give a, hibiscus the better it's blooming is going to. Be and to the, right it's less than six hours of sun you're going to have less than good bloom. Performance if the either.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I'm, SORRY i have, yes.
Speaker 3: Then just watch the extra. Nitrogen give a little bit of. Time, uh it ought to settle in and start blooming for. YOU i don't know. What there's nothing else in your power THAT i can tell you to do right now for.
Speaker 17: It get so old that they don't bloom.
Speaker 3: Anymore, no, no they keep, Blooming they keep. Bloming this is a tropical type of, HIBISCUS i, assume.
Speaker 17: Yes, Sir, yes, Sir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no it ought to. Be it ought to be settling down and blooming for. You you may have to go out and threaten. It you, know they say talk to your, plants but that includes threatening your.
Speaker 17: Plants, okay got, That thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much all, right all, Right, mary take. Care, yeah sometimes we just don't have, great great. Solutions there may be something going, on but it's kind of hard to tell on the phone. Call Uhom soils is a purveyor of premium quality organic. Materials i'm talking about, Mulches i'm talking about, soil, amendments, composts things you put in the, soil even expanded shale and expanded shell mixed with. Composts they have that as. Well Heirloom soils has special blends for veggie and herb like Their veggian herb. Mix they have a rose blend as well for roses and any other plants at. Bloom really the rose blends an excellent. Choice if you're filling in some areas of lawn to kind of redo a, lawn have them book deliver From Warren's rock And mulch their lawn. Mix it's a very inexpensive. Mix you can put it out there over the, lawn kind of fill in the holes a little, bit mix in to the surface of the soil and get things ready for planting your. Lawn another good. Product here's what you need to do, Though go To heirloomsoils dot Com heirloomssoils dot. Com look at what they. Have there's a lot of, things many many things are available in bags all around. Town you can go out there and pick it up In Porter Texas. Bulk if you got a truck or, trailer you can call them and have them deliver it and dump it on your. Driveway you can call them and some products are available by, supersack which is one cubic, yard neat, clean set it on your, driveway you shovel it out of the sack and you're good to. Go i've done it that way. Myself nothing gets, easier neater and cleaner than. Supersacks, anyway you're going to go about. It just start with the, soil brown stuff before green stuff and. Heirlooms soil definitely knows how to create top quality products to improve your. Soil speaking of the soil in your, lawns if you, haven't some are fertilized Nitrofoss superturf the silver bag nineteen four. Ten you do it, now you're done until fall. Fertilization it'll carry you for months down the. Line return those clippings and with that, superturf your lawn is good to go until fall fertilization. Time you can find superturf at many places that sell nitrofoss, products places Like Court hardware On South maine And, stafford PERHAPS m AND d In rosenberg On AVENUE, i or what About Encented gardens ON fm three point fifty nine just north Of, Richmond Rosenberg Bearings hardware On businette and the one On west Tim or, two all Carrying night To foster. Products we're going to take a. Break we'll be right, back all, right, folks were. Back hope there we. Go you know it helps to push the right button makes radio work a lot better when you. Do welcome back To Guarden line for our final segment of the. Day by the, way we'll be back tomorrow at six am sharp six to ten. Am saturdays And. Sundays tell your friends About Guarden. LINE i don't care if they live here or, not they live somewhere, else tell them about Guard. Line they need to. Listen we've got a lot of folks that listen from out of state as. Well and the more the, Merrier Well Houston Powder. Coders if you want to transform you're out or furniture or outdoor metal decorations or metal of any. Type it could be a port, ratting it could be a you know all those gas lamp posts or light electric light lamp posts out there in the. Yard it could be something like an ornamental hanging on the side of the, fence your privacy, guns or something on the side of the house that's you use for. Decoration they can do. It it's better than. Painting they'll bring it, in they'll get it in. Shape maybe a little rust needs blasting. Off they they need to tackle weld here and, there put new hardware on nice stainless, steel or place those old rusty nuts and, bolts any kind of things like. That you, know if it's something you sit. In it's got the sling fabric and the vinyl straps and. Things they can fix all of that stuff and they transform it in one hundred plus different color. Options you get to pick looks. Good the easiest way to do this is to send a picture to sales At houstoncoders dot. Com sales At houston coders dot. Com they'll give you a quick. Quote if you decide to go with, it they'll come pick it up and they'll deliver it when they're done in The Greater houston. Area houston Powder cooders dot. Com houston Powder cooders dot. Com check them out on social. Media you'll see examples of their work and it'll be. Amazing i'm driving down the road the other. DAY i saw some more furniture sitting out at the at the road that people are getting rid of as metal. Furniture you, know they do cast, iron they do rot, iron they're do. Aluminum AND i was looking at, it, going you know, WHAT i gotta pick that. UP i could Get Houston coders to do, it And i'd have a brand new, set look like new set of outdoor. Furniture, yeah they're that. Good they are that good two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty. Eight, HEY i got time for a call or two if you hurry seven one three two one two k t R. H seven one three two one two k t R. H give you a quick call here and. Help we had some folks that had sent an email that we're going to follow up with a call. Today maybe they'll get around to that. Tomorrow, Well Quality Home products Of texas is the only place THAT i would consider buying a generator. Now they, sell for, example they sell the automatic or excuse, me The generac automatic stand by. Generator generac automatic stand by. Generator it sits there beside the house. Waiting power goes. Off you don't even have time to get up from your. Chair it comes right back. On you don't have to go put gas in it and fired out and get it. Running now it's, automatic automatic. Standby. Now you buy generators from a lot of, places But Quality home not only they have the super quality types of products that they, carry But Quality Home products Of. Texes it's the, service it's the customer care from the time you call them and they get you in the right kind of generator for what you truly need to the day they walk, Away, well let me just keep going like, that to handling the, regulations you, know the permits to get it all set, up to pouring a, slab not bringing in a cheap them slab that your lawnmarer's going to knock out a. Whack i'm talking about a quality slab that they pour for. You to having all their service, staff you, know the electricians and, whatnot all there as part of the. Team they don't have the sub stuff out to then when they walk, away that's when the service. Continues twenty four to seven three sixty. Five they're there for. You anytime something goes. Wrong you can give them a Call quality tx dot. Com that's the. Website go look at. It go look into this qualitytx dot, com or give them a call seven to one three. Quality when you do, that you're going to find Why i'm so big on quality home or go look at their reviews fourteen thousand and five star. Reviews look at the number of times they've won The Better Business Bulls Most Prestigious Customer Service award eight, times actually more than eight, TIMES i. Believe now, anyway family owned since nineteen eighty. Nine financing options are. Available let's go up To. Conrad now we're going to talk To. Matthew, Hey, matthew how can we?
Speaker 15: Help?
Speaker 3: Hello Can?
Speaker 9: Amy, yes, sir, okay, YES i just got a quick question about a. Vtext so right, NOW i have been in this house for a. WHILE i don't know really how old the vitext, is but it's about four or maybe five feet away from the, house and it's big enough to where the majority of the foliage is above a one story, house right and AND i want it there BECAUSE i want the shade because it's a really hot side of the house AND i want some shade during the hot. Summers And i'm, wondering do you think there's any problems that could get run into as far as like the roots damaging the.
Speaker 3: Foundation, no here's what. Happens it's not that the roots are going to lift up and crack your foundation like roots can do a. Sidewalk what happens is tree. Roots and it doesn't have to be a tree wrap beside your. House it could be a tree halfway across the. Yard the roots find that, nice, moist shady spot and they proliferate there because the water runs off the, roof there's plenty of, moisture and they pump the soil dry during hot dry, periods and that wetting and, drying that shrinking and swelling of the, soil that's what causes foundation. Problems so your, vitex if it's given you, shade you're. Okay you just may have to water a little extra in there just to take care of. It but, YEAH i think in this, case just a little extra water if you want to have if you want to talk to someone about. It you, know the experts are fixed my Slab Foundation, repair which like me to give you a number for them so you could talk to them about.
Speaker 9: This, YEAH i would like to have me check it.
Speaker 15: Out just.
Speaker 3: Hurt, okay all, right here's the new it's two eight one two five five forty nine two eight one two five five forty ninety. Nine talk to ty or someone. There so let me talk to me and just just get that opinion on. THEM i think THEY'LL i think they'll they'll agree with WHAT i. Said all. Right oh, OEAY i got to. Run they've got a bunch of, Collars yeah you. Bet all, right we're gonna go real. Quick, Here we're gonna go To susan and sugar land mark your Next, Yes, susan how can we? Help Thank.
Speaker 18: JIM i just got new sprinklers And i'm getting my front yard satted with.
Speaker 19: Palmetto BUT i want to know what is the best time to run those.
Speaker 13: SPRINKLERS i know in the morning sometimes or.
Speaker 19: At night it's it's too, wet it's not.
Speaker 6: Good scrapped.
Speaker 3: An ongoing for On yeah for ongoing lawn watering early early, morning early, morning before sun comes. Up even you get that ground, wet you soak it in real good and the sun comes up and it all off pretty. Quick and that's the best. Time if you're putting a new lawn, in you gotta water it frequently lightly for the first, week a couple times a, day for the second week once a, day and then back off to a normal watering, schedule as in full sun when it's, hot if it's in, shade or if the temperature's not, hot you can back off that WHAT i just said a little. Bit but you're aiming to water early in the morning once about once a, week.
Speaker 19: RIGHT i was told THAT i have to wait three weeks to mow.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah you wanted to root in really good before you start running tires and everything else over.
Speaker 18: It, okay all, right very, good thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much all, right you, bet thanks a, lot appreciate. That All, right we're going to run to our last collar this. Morning mark In, Richmond welcome to Garden.
Speaker 10: Line thank.
Speaker 24: YOU i quick. QUESTION i used to could get content Triple action. TWENTY i don't see it available much. Anymore i'm spraying a fungus on a wound on a. TREE i Like constan. Twenty what CAN i?
Speaker 3: Use you?
Speaker 25: KNOW i.
Speaker 3: DON'T i don't know that it's around or. NOT i. DON'T i don't want to stay on the air BECAUSE i could, guess BUT i don't. Know that's the bottom. Line consent is just a surface. Sterele you. Know it's kind of like if you take a sponge with bleach in it and wipe off the. Counter you kill the, butt you, know kill whatever's on the. Counter but it doesn't go in and do. Anything it's not a. Systemic it doesn't soak in and do. Stuff is what are you seeing on the.
Speaker 24: TREE i just have a wound that is, healing and a barbarous, said just spray a. FUNGICIDE i was alternating with coside one time coside and then consan twenty the following. WEEK i was just alternating and THAT i ran out of.
Speaker 3: It if you're, not if you don't have a disease or something, THERE i wouldn't do anything to. It just keep the tree adequately watered during hot summer drought, weather and it'll close that wound. Over it's not going to close a lot when the weather gets, hot but in fall it'll close a little. Faster. AGAIN i don't see a need to spray. It and if it were a, canker spraying the, surface wouldn't do it.
Speaker 24: Anyway, okay all, right, thanks.
Speaker 3: Yes, mark good, Luck thanks for the. Call appreciate. That all, right, folks look like we made. It cleared the boards, there got everything taken care. Of, Hey i've enjoyed visiting with you. Today we'll be back in the morning six, am bright eyed and bushy. Tailed hope you have a good. Day get out visit some garden. Centers go by and pick up some supplies from our various. Sponsors you, know the reason that we all get to listen to free radio is because somebody is sponsoring those shows to make that. Possible that's why wherever you're listening To Guarden line right, now it's the sponsors that have made it. Possible and so thank them when you go by and visit, them tell them me you appreciate that because they're the REASON i get to be on the, air and they're the reason you get to. Listen SO i think that's that's good to. Know say hi to. Him i'm gonna jump in a car here in about two shakes of a rabbit's. TAIL i, know old guy say, Well i'm gonna shape jump in a car and go get me my barbecue pit From Ace Hardware store during this great sale they've been having going. On talk to you. Tomorrow