Speaker 1: Welcome into a Clippers Talk Live. Kind of an imprompt too. I didn't give anyone a heads up on this, but I did yesterday and we weren't able to do so because of some technical difficulties. But now we are connected to Honolulu, Hawaii. We are live with the radio voice of the Clippers in Carlo Jimenez for a little Clippers Talk Live. Get into the chats. Let us know you can hear this episode. And Carlo, it's good to see your face. It's good to hear you. And the Wi Fi now is on that five G stuff or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: It looks beautiful.
Speaker 3: We're crystal clear now, Adam. I know we were trying to get it on yesterday. Sometimes Wi Fi doesn't want to work, and I'll be honest with you, it didn't even work this morning. But I came back from the gym today and look at we got Wi fi so right time, right plays, it all works out. And I don't want to cloud the day that No Eagles on, like, let's be honest, he deserves an entire day he does.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Noah Eagle Day was October first, twenty twenty four. Now it's Carlo Jimenez Day. And he's caught in four K because the Wi fi is looking that damn good people are coming in here.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey Beltrans says.
Speaker 1: Carlo says, let's go. JM thirty twenty four says, what's up, guys, thank you for the advice from last week.
Speaker 2: It was greatly appreciated.
Speaker 1: Check out that show was the first one on the YouTube side on Clippers Top with Carlo Jimenez as we kind of talked about his early but already very successful broadcasting career and also his social media impact that he has with two hundred thousand followers on TikTok. He's like that, I'm trying to get there, Carlo. This is fun. It's cool to be connected with you in Hawaii. Give me the layout, the landscape. I don't know, a bird's eye view of where you are hotel wise, in relationship to the arena and anywhere else that are landmarks that you've been going to. Right now, just fill people in on what it's like to have the experience of being a training camp in Honolulu, Honolulu, Hawaii with the Clippers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, as you can't really be in a bad spot in Hawaii, you know, it's it's beautiful here. You get off the plane that the breeze is It's like the best thing ever.
Speaker 5: Like I'll never.
Speaker 3: Not enjoy getting off a plane in Hawaii and hearing that breeze and feeling it. But we're the Clippers have it well set up. We're kind of we're by the water. We're in like I think main area Honolulu. I couldn't even tell you Waikiki. I believe wis where we're at. And then the stand Sheriff Center where we're playing is I want to say, fifteen to twenty minute drive away.
Speaker 5: So super close. There is a lot of traffic.
Speaker 3: Here in Hawaii, which I I didn't know, but hey, the more you know, we take a highway one which is an interstate highway, which I have since learned can't be an interstate highway because what other state does it go to? Adam?
Speaker 1: Oh, what's up? The more you know, Star just went across the screen fun tidbits and nuggets with Carla Jimenez.
Speaker 5: It's good and that's yeah.
Speaker 3: Dan Fitzpatrick, the video coordator, pointed out that out to me on the bus on the first day, and I was like, you know what, I'm gonna get that in somewhere somehow and here we are in clipper stock, so I had had to make sure I let the people know.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's been good. It's been good. It's it's super easy, super nice.
Speaker 3: Like anything under Steve Bomber organization, things are set up well.
Speaker 1: Slippers were made for this second year back since twenty nineteen when they first went with the two one three era kicking off. Now we'll post that it's the Kawhi James Harden one two punch era going on. But obviously we've talked about Kawhi. We have media Day Monday into it Dome. I know he hasn't been doing any of the five on five or any of the drill stuff. He was doing some foam roller stuff today. I heard. I saw the video with him smiling hanging out with coach Lou at shoot around earlier in the day yesterday. Is there anything new on the Kawhi front, Carlow and just overall, what are your thoughts after hearing straight from the horse's mouth how he's doing with that right knee at media day on Monday?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think what Noah talked about yesterday. If you haven't watched that on Clippers stock, I go check that out. But it seems to be that people are He's heading in the right direction.
Speaker 5: The Clippers, he mostimistic. They's head in the right direction.
Speaker 3: And I think that feels like the most important thing to me too. I haven't necessarily seen anything that is mind blowing or would change anyone's opinion, but yeah, I feel like Kawhi is taking the steps. So and I thought was interesting Adam when James Harden talked about media day, is we need Kawhi to be ready when playoff time comes around.
Speaker 5: That's what he emphasized.
Speaker 3: And it feels like, just from the outside looking in, that's kind of the vibe around this the Clipper team is we want Kawhi to not have to take games off come April May. And so, yeah, it's all good, all good signs. Everything, everything from the press conferences to Kawhi actually talking to the media seems like he's he's taking the right steps.
Speaker 1: Prioritizing the playoffs over everything seems to be the right move.
Speaker 2: It's very important.
Speaker 1: Of course, they'll need him along the way in the regular season to get there. It's going to be a very tough Western Conference. It is absolutely a Gauntlet evil Bot. Adam wants to ask Carlo, do you think that's your mentor? Noah had a point about you need a change of image, your haircut, it's et cetera. I think he's just yellous about all the peeps asking for picks. Are you gonna have an extreme makeover? Are you gonna keep the middle park going?
Speaker 5: Player is going strong?
Speaker 3: I know, I know it has told me that you are more gelling it because if you ever watch a game and you were watching us broadcast, my hair kind of goes like this. Once the fourth quarter comes around, I look a little mangled, look like I've been through a little bit. And sometimes Adam, as you know, fourth quarter comes around. We've been through some stuff on that broadcast.
Speaker 5: But no, I'm keeping the hair.
Speaker 3: Hair's not going anywhere, middle part all day, consistency, good flow. It's got some ocean water in it too, right now, so it's feeling good. Don't worry about it, I know, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: No one got to give you that much FuMO. It's got ocean water in it. My goodness. I know I'm in Burbank and life ain't that tough, And it's ninety degrees today and the weather's pretty denied. But my goodness, you got ocean water.
Speaker 4: In your hair.
Speaker 5: Adam, Adam, you are the closest thing to Hawaii on planet Earth. I'd say so.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I'm in the island mindset at all times. We go right, I put out the same the Hawaii vibes. Jeffrey Beltran wants to know this, as do I. I didn't see him at media day. I saw bones Hyland. There is PJ. Tucker there. It sounds like what they got twenty one guys in training camp.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everyone's accounting for so.
Speaker 1: You've had eyes on PJ.
Speaker 2: Tucker. We're good.
Speaker 5: He exists.
Speaker 1: He exists, It does exist. I'm sure he brought a lot of shoes with him, maybe with some a lot of sandalwaar to Hawaii as well. That Mexican naar says, favorite player. Do you have a favorite Clipper already? How about just a guy that you love to do calls for when he's cooking and getting into his bag and that gets you into your broadcasting bag.
Speaker 5: Tell you what.
Speaker 3: Watching James Harden at the end of Game four in the playoffs against Dallas and in Indiana when they scored one hundred and fifty one points on the road in December contest. That thought when he it's going, it is like, yeah, I mean, I thought Brian Seman did a great job of David Capsuling on TV. He threw up that last three of Brian goes no way because it's just like, there's no way this guy's inting this next shot.
Speaker 5: Definitely definitely James Harden. James Harden is fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. Let's see evil bod Adam wils So. No, this is a guy I've been kind of doing a little bit more research on recently, a bit of a profile on and I did put out you know what, I'm gonna play the damn thing since we can share screens here, and I am proud of this. And when I'm going, when I'm with a social media mogul and somebody like Carlo Jmenez who has two hundred thousand followers on TikTok, I want to show off my editing game just a little bit. I know it's not much. I know it's not as slick as what Carlo Jimenez can do with Final Cut Pro or whatever the hell you told me.
Speaker 2: It was you used last week?
Speaker 1: And I know there's a very divisive and polarizing community do when it comes to which editing machine and which.
Speaker 2: Program or do you hues?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. It's coke, coke and PEPSI, But I want you guys to enjoy this little edit I made yesterday for Chris Dunn after I heard him say this with Joey Lynn after practice.
Speaker 4: I can get a little chippy from time to time.
Speaker 6: Stop shop shut him down. Shock, No, stop Shop shut him down.
Speaker 3: Shock.
Speaker 4: I can get a little chippy from.
Speaker 1: Tom to notice here I also have get.
Speaker 4: A little chippy from.
Speaker 1: But if you notice you're at the beginning, check out the ribcage, the little uh translucent rip cage with the two dogs here because you know Chris Dund has that dog in him. Carlo, give me your grade on that little uh social media thirty second clip I put together.
Speaker 3: You know people always talk about in social media the most important thing is storytelling. Adam, he told the story. I mean it's great you show you show Chris talking about how.
Speaker 5: It can be a dog.
Speaker 3: We get a little teaser on the chest with the dogs in it. On the X ray and then we get into Chris being an actual dog, which we know he is on the floor A plus A plus, Adam, it was excellent.
Speaker 1: Ah, Carlo Jimenez approved content here on Clippers. Yeah, I'll take that. That's high phrase considering where he's at top of the tote bull when it comes to TikTok's Chris done to me? I don't think I've talked.
Speaker 2: About him enough so far this summer, Carlo, and.
Speaker 1: Just what an impact he could make on a team that's trying trying to lean into defense, that's trying to have more of a defensive mentality. And while, like I said in that little clip there, I don't want to see anybody get hurt, but you do want to see guys play with passion and toughness out there and set a tone on that end and make sure that everybody's kind of held accountable for their responsibilities on the defensive side. And I think we're going to get that with Chris Dunn, who has made a career and a living on making other guys' lives hell in the NBA with his perimeter defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, this is someone who is one of the best point of attack defenders in the league. It's something the Clippers were looking for and they went out and got them. And you know, Brian, Brian Seman, or TV broadcaster, has been tweeting out little recaps at the end of every day, and today he tweeted in a Second Bowl point, Chris Donn is a force of nature on defense, strong, fearless, relentless. I would put all of that in caps like one hundred percent agree. This is someone who attacks every matchup like he is making a statement.
Speaker 5: And I think that combo Adam.
Speaker 3: When you have somebody like Chris Juhn and Derek Jones Junior, the athletic ability, and then not only that, the effort defensively because how often do we say defense. While it is a lot to do with ability, but it's probably more to do with effort, and then the mind of somebody like Jeff Van Gundy. I mean, you're talking about almost a perfect recipe of guys on the defensive end who can make it hell for players on the offensive end. I think this team is going to be a team that when other guards roll in, they're going to be stretching a little bit longer, hydrated a little bit more, and no buckets are coming a little scarcer than maybe the rest of the regular season because there's just just two guys on a defensive end who on at least on the ball, can be some of the worst to be.
Speaker 5: On it as an offensive player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Chris Dunn has an intimidation factor about him when you know someone is about that life and you try to push him around and he pushes right back and is not backing down. That's kind of how this Clippers team has to play because for them to meet some of the top teams, the most talented teams in the league at their level, you kind of have to at times muck up the game and dirty up the game and play stellar defense possession to possession. And I always said this about Patrick Beverley, and I do think Chris Dunn and him, there's a real comparison there in the way they play and the type of edge they play with. But Pat Bev could take any game during the regular season, any one of eighty two, and turn that game that night into a playoff like atmosphere with just his ability to get under the other team's skin. And then once you raise that emotional level and get the competitive juices going, out there, you get a higher level brand of basketball by everyone throughout the team.
Speaker 2: It just permeates, agreed.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you watch someone go to war with you on the defensive side of the basketball, how can that not become an inspiration. When they're diving on the floor, when they're in passing lanes, when they're communicating on the defensive end, you see it. I mean that stuff permeates. Some of the best teams defensively have some of the best individual defenders on that side of the floor, which seems obvious, but I also think there is something to that kind of play inspiring bleeding into other players on the team wanting to give that same sort of effort.
Speaker 5: So one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 3: I think this Chris Don could be somebody who you know you're on the second nud of it back to back. Well, here's a guy who's going to play inspired for eighty two games of this regular season, and that could help.
Speaker 1: Carlo Jimenez is live from Honolulu whoaii here on Clippers stock Live. Appreciates all you guys here the chat. We'll try to get to all your questions. I want to clear something up because we talked last night when I sent you that Twitter post for Chris Dunn and that little montage of him in some kerfluffles as you would say as a broadcast or in some dust nuffs there on the court. But you, as I had the music there from DMX rough Riders, you immediately texted back rough Rider and I was like, yeah, light Bulb, that should be the nickname for Chris Dunn. Where are you at with that? Because I hear a lot of people saying crash out Chris is another nickname that's going around that some people have used on him. I like that, and I just like the idea of as you're developing an identity and a brand and a new culture with this Clippers team, with all these dogs, I like having some nicknames out there already as we're starting to workshop things here in the preseason.
Speaker 3: No, I can't wait for Saturday Adam and we get to start put him to use.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think crash out Chris. I like it. It sounds like.
Speaker 3: Though he's a little out of con and Chris Dunn from the film I've watched, is a disciplined defender. I would say that's the thing that makes him different from maybe those other guys who are high energy, high effort.
Speaker 5: He's high energy, high effort.
Speaker 3: But you're not gonna worry about him having you know, five fouls with three minutes SCO in the third quarter.
Speaker 5: So rough Rider. I like rough Rider.
Speaker 3: I like because he is I mean, in all those videos he is velk rode to the offensive player's hips.
Speaker 5: He's not going anywhere. He's gonna stay on you.
Speaker 3: This is someone who is gonna fight every single time, for every pass, for every over, every screen. A coach's probably dream on the defensive end. So I don't know, we'll keep going. We'll keep going, but I think we got a great base right now, a couple of good ones. I'm sure something will come out during the season. I'm sure we'll make it happen.
Speaker 1: Junkyard Chris says Jonathan Ing. That's not mad either, Milk yard dog out there. Is there anything else you've leaned from what he's bringing to this Clippers team. With his media session yesterday, I know you were in the scrum there as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was really cool to see someone like Chris be super appreciative of the moment and where he is. I mean, this is a guy who was almost out of the league, gets to ten days with Utah, gets on their roster as a two way, and then earns a contract this past season and he's in Hawaii with the Jazz and if people remember, he didn't miss in Hawaii and had a team high seventeen points in their win at the stand Sheriff Center. And so he kind of talked about how getting the contract this offseason felt full circle.
Speaker 5: He was an Ontario Clipper.
Speaker 3: People don't remember that, but he had a little stint in Ontario at the G League. So I thought he clearly very grateful, very appreciative. And then also you got that feeling when he was talked about the new arena. He said, I thought this was the best description I've heard of into a dome and fit it perfect. But he said, he's telling people, quote, it feels like I'm.
Speaker 5: In two k.
Speaker 3: I think that's exactly how it does feel. It's like, oh my gosh, everything is perfect. They built this perfectly. It's like a video game.
Speaker 1: So it's like augmented reality to me, a little wearing an oculus or something, and everywhere you look, Yeah, it's so posh and perfect and optimized. It almost feels like that, like you got, what do you go?
Speaker 2: It's into it though.
Speaker 3: There's no The thing is like sometimes you see places and they're weathered, and whether that will happen or not down the stretch, I'm not sure. But into a dome has no scratches, it has no mistakes, like it is as pristine as it as it could be.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then also the final thing on Chris dune Adam is he's like, I hang my hat on defense and that's my job. And I think that's you know, I'm not. You've been around longer than I have. But to have a clipper say that's what I do, I get stops feels like a good step in the direction for a defense that when you take out the beginning parts of the year, probably some people would say underperformed the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: I would say that twenty first after the first ten games of the year, they were twenty first defensively last year after they came to training camp saying the goal is to be a top five defense. I'm positive they eventually ended up seventeenth overall last season, that they will be better than that. And I think there's a real good chance they're going to have a top ten defense this year, but they have to commit to it. You mentioned Derek Jones Junior earlier, obviously, another big pickup for them. Most believe he'll be at the starting lineup, and coach Lou used an interesting phrase, a football parallel the other day. It might have been earlier today, these days are running together. I'm sure for you too. But he called him his shutdown Derek Jones Junior. I love that. Welcome to Derek Jones Junior Island. It ain't Reeves Island anymore.
Speaker 2: You put Dereck Jones Junior on.
Speaker 1: A guy at the point of attack, he could also lock you up.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I mean, one of fourteen guys in the league that had nine threes blocked. We're talking he's getting a hand on your three point shot. This is somebody who just bounces off the floor. Feels like he has springs in his shoes the way he jumps up and down. So somebody's so excited to watch play on the defensive side of the basketball. I think it will be fun to see him matched up against some of the better offensive players in the league.
Speaker 5: And that's what he wants to do.
Speaker 3: I mean, he said on media Day, I've told coach Lou, I want to guard the best player, and it's gonna be I think that that's awesome because every time of and you know, in the NBA this is almost everybody, but there's certain superstars. You walk into the building and you're like, they're gonna get forty today and we're gonna have to make sure you know either no one else beats up, sir. But now it's like, we got Derek Jones Junior. There's somebody who can toe the line with some of the best in the NBA night in and night out.
Speaker 5: It's I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see him and that ridiculous wingspan, be a pest defensively and be a lob thread with the eyes of James Harden who seems to have four or five different ones in the back of his head on the side.
Speaker 5: Sometimes these passes you're.
Speaker 3: Like, when how But I know this is gonna be fun to watch because Derek can fly.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna need one more grade from you. On a recent a TikTok ish like video I just made. Look, we happen to be talking about these guys, and I happen to have just made recent videos about them. I want Carlow's review and great on this too, because I was pleasantly surprised by how I guys say this sometimes, but I haven't seen a guy look as serious as Dereck Jones Junior. When he said I want to guard the other team's best player. Yeah, guys say sometimes, he meant it, and he has this soft spoken tone and there's a level of seriousness to it and conviction. And I just really like him being a part of this Clippers team now and helping crystallize this identity of being a defensive juggernaut.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna help.
Speaker 1: So maybe I also enjoy the fact, like you, that he can get up and not just get up.
Speaker 2: His nickname was airplane Mode for a reason.
Speaker 1: This guy won the Dunk Contest and what year was that, twenty twenty? I think he won it. Yeah, yeah, I believe he won with Miami.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: This is Derek Jones Jr. This is who he is, and this is who I am. I am just, you know, always looking to throw a little bit of shade.
Speaker 2: But check this one out under that.
Speaker 7: Because we know what I'm gonna do to him. We know what I'm gonna do to him.
Speaker 4: Hopefully nobody under.
Speaker 1: That, all right, So maybe.
Speaker 3: What am I supposed to do worthy I'm not sure. I was gonna say, you're keeping receipts, but I don't.
Speaker 5: Are there receipts there?
Speaker 3: There probably is, they're probably if you dig back, there's probably somewhere. I just love that the Clippers front office saw how I mean, the guy was so impressive in that series. Talk about shutdown corner, and the clippers number two option was Paul George for the most part outside of a half plus shut him down. So Tylu is on point with that name, and I think for the Clippers he's gonna be a big equalizer when they play some of those offensive, younger knots down the stretch of the season.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's think about it. Who do you guard in every round? Who is his main assignment? It started with Paul George, then SGA. They win both those rounds, then they take out Minnesota and what five games? I know it was closer than that. There were some games that were coin flips.
Speaker 5: At the end.
Speaker 1: But he's guarding Anthony Edwards. Then he's guarding Jason Tatum, who didn't have a great series in the NBA Finals, he was still good enough they won the series, but Derek Jones Junior was guarding star after star after star there and couldn't be more impressive with it.
Speaker 5: I mean, who won Finals MVP?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And Jalen Brown's defense I think was a big part of him winning Finals MVP. But the fact that the guy, I mean, this is a league built on narratives, and the narrative around Jason Tatum was he was the leader of this team and you get to the finals and Derek Jones Junior does such a great job on that end of the floor that Jalen Brown the door becomes open for him to win finals. You're right, You're spot on. I mean, he made a difference whether they won or lost in every series.
Speaker 1: St says Derek Jones. Junior is an anagram for JK. Reconsider. Could this become relevant at some point if somebody tries to jump with him at the rim like Paul George kind of did there? Maybe just kidding reconsider PG was kind of flying out of the way at the end, realize who he was trying to leap with. It wasn't happening. Oh, I love it, Jonathan Ink, says Derek Jones. Junior should be in the dunk contest this year. Maybe guys typically do it early on in their career, and if they win like he did, it's hard to get him to come back.
Speaker 2: What else does he have to prove?
Speaker 1: Jam thirteen twenty four said he didn't dunk on pg lmfao. There's these pg truthers and apologists out there right now. They're like, let's not technically be a dunked on. It's like why because he jumped out of the way as much as he could, like he was getting dunked on whether he was gonna stay there or not. I'm sorry we stayed.
Speaker 2: On the broadcast.
Speaker 5: Business decisions, Business decisions.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go. Tt Whim says, let's go clippers. Evil Bot says, Kai and Derek Jones Junior are two airplanes. Let's talk about Kai Jones because you know, I don't know if it was a Rico Hines run. I forget where it was at, but he and KPJ were playing together. Some film was released last week. He was getting up there. I do want to say it was mostly just an open gym scrimmage.
Speaker 2: I don't know who the guys were.
Speaker 1: Some of them that he was going up against and guys you see it all the time during the summer where oh Ben Simmons is fixed a three point shot. Just look at this video. I don't think people understand just how good pros are. You put him in an open gym against regular everyday Joe's like we saw with Brian Scalabrini when he took on guy after guy after guy that said he sucked because he never played for the Boston Celtics, and he made the point of saying, I'm closer to Lebron that I am being closer to you the everyday Joe, and he was right, and he just destroyed guys. The twelfth guy on a bench in the NBA is so damn good. Now Kyle Jones is trying to be that on the Clippers. And there's a two way spot that is open. Correct me if I'm wrong, Carlo, But right now it's Jordan Miller a two way and then Trent and Flowers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, though, So they do have one two way open, and I think similar to the starting spots. It's, as Tyler said today, open competition. That's how they're running things. So there's a lot of guys who are not competing for star starter spots, but competing for I mean two ways a big deal when you talk about opportunities in the league, and just from a money standpoint, like two ways make a lot more money compared to guys who are just in the G League or guys on Exhibit ten. So yeah, there's a big competition maybe towards the end of that starting fifteen or roster fifteen trying to make a two way contract.
Speaker 1: I'm rooting for Kai Jones, not just because he's a young man who went through some mental health issues. He's trying to find his spot in the league. It would be great to see if it happens with the Clippers, but also selfishly, it's a position of need. They need another guy, another four or five. I think he's more of a five than a four. He hasn't proven that he can really stretch the floor with his shooting or anything like that in the big leagues. But what do you think the chances are that he grabs that last two way. Because I think they're rooting for him, I think they want him to show out.
Speaker 2: Here in the preseason and in.
Speaker 1: Training camp just because they could use him, especially because we heard it earlier today, Mobamba hasn't been doing everything yet because he's got a bit of a knee injury.
Speaker 2: Fill me in on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe Tyler said he's not participating me in five on five because he's dealing with a light knee injury. So not like something that would keep him out. Doesn't sound like super serious. But it is training camp and you got to play seven months of basketball plus, so you want to make sure guys start out on the right foot. But when you're talking about kai Jones and his opportunity, I think you're right. The door is open for him to step through. I think there's a need at his position. I think the Clippers want to get athletic, they want to get young, they want to run up and down. That's been proven through the deals and the signings they've made this offseason. I mean Trenton Flower or Flowers who you're talking about. I mean, he's the tenth youngest guy in the NBA at him right now. Trent Flowers tenth youngest in the NBA. Cram Christie's sixth, the youngest in the NBA. So clearly there is a youth movement within this Clippers team, and when it comes to Kai Jonons, I think it's a lot of raw ability, and that's what you saw in Charlotte. I mean, this is someone who didn't start playing basketball until he was fifteen years old, who thought about maybe taking on long jump and triple jump full time. He represented the Bahamas and the Junior Olympics and triple jumps, so an insane athletic. When you think about just being a Junior Olympic player or a competitor, I think there's definitely an opportunity for him. I think if he continues to show a high energy motor, the Clippers seem to be always liking guys who have that motor. You think about Mussa Diabte, who was on a two way for a couple of years in a row. He was high energy, he was athletic, he could run up and down the floor. Also a little raw like Kai, but had moments where you thought, hey, maybe this guy could be a ten to eleventh person off the bench. So opportunity is there for Kai Jones. Obviously he's done a ton of work on his mental well being, talking about going to therapy and getting right something at first actually wasn't didn't want to do, but super impressed.
Speaker 5: I think that's an impressive young man.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, for his ability to find a way back onto the basketball court and now being a chance to contribute to a team like the Clippers with championship aspirations.
Speaker 1: I think you made a great point there talking about motor and how important it is to just show effort and motor out there. Sometimes we know you're young, You're going to make mistakes. He's trying to make the team. He could, you know, try too hard at times. You see guys play outside of themselves. But do what you do best and hone in on those skills you already have and just play hard. That's something Coachy was talking about today too. We want to be a team that plays really hard every night. They're going to have to because the hole is going to have to be greater than the some of its parts for this Clippers team to get by. Because they are less talented than they have been in past seasons. They are going to be playing a lot of teams in the West that have more.
Speaker 2: Talent on paper. So how do you overcome that? You play hard.
Speaker 1: You have guys out there with motors who are willing to play like it's a playoff game in the regular season all the time, and you play together and it'll be great to see. I love what you said there about Kyle Jones just showing that he cannot just be an elite athlete. But there was always something to I remember Dennis Rodman, and this was a comment from Phil Jackson back in the day. He would always say that it wasn't Pippin, it wasn't mj who was their best athlete. It was Dennis Rodman who was because he could run all day, because he would never tire out, because he would still have you know, his tank full at the end of a game to make those high level energy type of plays. And Kai Jones, you know, you mentioned his track and field prowess there, like maybe he does have a really good motor that could overcompensate for other areas that are deficient right now by just playing hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, agreed, Agreed.
Speaker 3: I think there's never a shortage of coaches who are going to say, yeah, that guy, he plays too hard, tries too much. We never heard that in basketball, So there there is a real chance for him if he continues to you know, go pedal to the metal, run up and down the floor, give you the best four minutes to eight minutes that he can. I think they'll be chances. I think they'll be chances, and I think you're right on that there's a real opportunity for him to earn that two way spot and we'll could possibly see him play down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Coach lu talked about it. We touched upon it a little bit earlier. But the youth movement going on with this Clippers team and how it's not a option anymore. It is demanded out of every team with the new CBA now to develop young guys because that's the only way you're going to be able to get by while supplementing some stars here and there. If you're lucky enough to be a destination franchise, I like the Clippers have become and lucky enough to have a good front office that is going to have a lot of flexibility moving forward. But you can't just go out and buy a team. You can't go out there and just spend all the money in the world because those second Apron restrictions will hold you back and you won't be able to bring in those key core role players like a Nicholas batoum guys that are championship level role players, like I believe Terrence Man can be for this team too under his new contract. So you got to get the young guys going. What did you hear from coach lou when it comes to the youth and what they're looking to see at how much guys could be implemented throughout this season and just the playing time and opportunity available to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's gonna be those ten game stretches. I know it's been talked around the past where tilecks to try things out for ten games at a time. They're gonna come and we saw it happen with Kobe Brown a little bit last year towards the beginning of the season. But I think you're gonna see, you know, the guys, some of the younger guys on this team. I think Jordan Miller is gonna get a real shot at contributing offensively. I mean, I really feel like it is his personal opinion, but I really feel like he has a chance with the way he can score the basketball on a team where you have so many great defenders but maybe not as many great offensive players.
Speaker 5: When it just comes to scoring. Jordan Miller clearly can.
Speaker 3: Put the ball on the rim. I mean that is something he showed during Summer League. It's something he showed at the G League. Now can he translate that same skill to the NBA. We're going to find out, but I think we are going to see him play at some point. That would be my guess. With this Clipper team, I'm excited. I think, like you said, the new CBA has made youth important. You have to develop young guys. You have to be able to bring guys that are homegrown, like Terrence Mann. And it means that teams like the Clippers, who have always invested a lot in their youth, who have always put a lot of work in and given every resource possible to their youth, are now going to be looking to find ways to make the draft more important to make sure they get guys who fit their system.
Speaker 5: And it really I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if I mentioned this to you, Adam, but this is Golden State Warrior team the Clippers are facing on Saturday, who literally can't fill fifteen spots because of the new CBA. They are hard capped and cannot pay for a fifteenth player on their roster they can only have fourteen. So there's real implications when we talk about the restrictiveness of this CBA, and that's why you see teams like the Clippers saying, look, we need to get young. We got to play through our young guys, because that's the only way where that's one of the ways we're gonna have to stay competitive.
Speaker 1: He is Carlojmanez live from Honolulu, Hawaii, so he's four hours ahead or behind, opinion.
Speaker 2: On how you look at it.
Speaker 1: Three hours ahead is four forty seven where he's at. We're at seven forty seven airplane mode right here in southern California where I'm at in Burbank. We got some more questions here. We also got a hilarious comment to me from a guy I guess he's a friend of me now. MEO used to talk a lot of junk to me here in these lives, and he just said, all right, I'm caught up after watching what I missed at two times speed. Let's let's every go. That's hilarious. I appreciate the dedication you guys stay with me here and it maybe you want to do more lives when you guys have great comments like you have hearing great questions for Carlo Jimenez. Evil Bought Adam is I guess looking towards the future. A little bit can.
Speaker 3: Has your face on the photo. I didn't, Actually, that is fantastic. I was gonna block the guy at first. I figure he was just trolling me. But his questions are legit, so I kind of dig his style.
Speaker 1: This is something I would do.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna change mine and start commenting too. That's me and Evil Bought are going to go back and forth. There's plenty of photos of Adam on the internet, so.
Speaker 1: Not to mention the dark netbot, Adams says. If PJ. Brown and or Bones get in the trade package, don't be surprised to see Jordan Miller getting a regular spot on the team. You mentioned Jordan Miller a little bit ago, but with how he has shown the ability to overcome whatever obstacles you throw at him so far. He dominated in the G League last year. Obviously was a very good player in college, went deep into the tournament with Miami. But then last year he's averaged twenty two points per game in the G League. That was eighth in the entire league. Then in the Summer League, he should have been MVP based upon indivisual stats team stats. Jordan Miller is someone that I want to see be pushed Carlo and really, I don't know, given an opportunity to show where his ceiling's at because we just don't know. When he's continually succeeding at every level. Now, let's see what he can do at the NBA level, I guess is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agreed.
Speaker 3: I mean, someone who finished second in Rookie of the Year voting in the G League, what more could you do besides score the most points? He probably, as we've talked about, should have won Summer League MVP.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 3: It's been talked about a little bit, but I would if we had a research department that just me and you could use. I would ask, when's the last time someone's one m v P and hasn't been first team, because I don't think it's ever happened before. But I can't wait for Ocean Side at him because we will get the Jalen Wilson Jordan Miller matchup.
Speaker 5: It's gonna happen, and.
Speaker 3: There'll be a little extra, They'll be a little I would assume. I would assume, but I think that October eighth, not gonna want to miss it.
Speaker 5: Baby, Summer League just going at it and five seventy you better tune in.
Speaker 1: We will have.
Speaker 4: Keep going.
Speaker 2: Carlo.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, Mike Glitchen, I Glitchen a little bit. This is a Wi Fi dying on me.
Speaker 1: We're lagging a little bit. There's a little bit of a lag between us. But you go tell me about Jordan Miller what you have heard and seen so far at training camp, but what you expect this season.
Speaker 3: I think he's somebody who's going to get his shot. He's going to have those ten games plus to get some run to score the basketball. He can shoot, and shooting in the NBA gets you on the floor the defensive side.
Speaker 5: To be honest with, you haven't.
Speaker 3: Watched Jordan Miller play a lot of it. Oftentimes when the Clippers have games, the G League team is playing at the same time, so there's not that much opportunity. But in Summer League, I mean, it seemed like someone who could hold his own on the defensive side of the basketball.
Speaker 5: So I wouldn't be betting against Jordan Miller.
Speaker 3: And I think it's another I mean, let's be honest to give a lot of credit to Lawrence Frank in that front office on being able to use a pick in the fifties that is now seemingly going to have an opportunity not just to get on the floor, would be a contributor to this team. I mean those picks at him, you know, fifty through sixty. Unless you know someone, usually you're not getting the full time contract ever in your NBA career. Props to Jordan Miller for finding a.
Speaker 1: Tylu said this regarding Day one of Clippers training camp in Honolulu, Hawaii, where Carlojmenez is quote the energy and intensity we're there. We just have to play smarter. I don't mind hearing that. It kind of starts with those two things, and he said, quote, we mentioned it earlier, but our identity is that we have to play hard every night. That's got to be our mindset. You have to overcome the talent disparity somehow with this team, because there's going to be a lot of nights in this league, in the Western Conference. If Kawhi Leonard is not available, hopefully that's not a lot of NICs this season, but if he's not there and it's James Harden running the show. You're going to be in a talent disadvantage, So how do you overcome that playing harder? And this Clippers team has done it in the past. They've done it under coach Lou. They've done it when the chips are down, and they certainly have overachieved. So there are even expectations for this team which just playing to the level they've been at during let's say the twenty one to twenty two season where they didn't have Kawhi Leonard all year long and had Paul George for thirty one games and they still had a winning record. So they have established that, hey, we can find a way with this coaching staff. Didn't have Jeff Van Gundy then, but we can find a way with coach Lou to get the most out of whatever roster he has available to him that night. And that's a little bit reassuring.
Speaker 5: Carlo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ohm brought it up when he was on your podcast. At him on Clipperstock by the way, one of the better episodes. Go watch Ohm who's doing double duty here in Hawaii covering both training camps. The man is everywhere and nowhere. You see him for a second, and then he's gone, He's somewhere else. But I would say this is is a coaching staff that has been in this position before, or maybe their talent disadvantage. But also Adam at the same time has shown that Tyler might be his best when he's working at that town disadvantage. And I was saying he's not a great coach. We've seen what he's able to do with all the talent in the world. Just helped win an Olympic gold medal with all the town in the world. But also he is so creative, such a basketball junkie. When he came to training camp on day one, he said, yeah, Jeff was in my office at five am. We were watching film and he's watched all eighty two games and all the playoff games, and all they do is watch film. So I think this is somebody who loves the challenge that is in front of him.
Speaker 5: Well, taking out the guns.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to go all Ben Diesel all of a sudden, but it is damn it is damn hot in here. Carlo IV Sorry, I've been workout attire.
Speaker 5: Are those registered there? I know you're God. A couple of days ago. By the way, crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm just scrolling on my TikTok one night, skip my workout. Here's Adam on a treadmill twenty six miles in.
Speaker 1: Dude, I did it, and I Carlo. I'm still recovering. Every day I step on the scale and my weight's still way down because of that one day running the marathon on Saturday. So I bought a bunch of ice cream earlier just to try to get the calories back up. Because as much as I'm trying to get to ten percent, I don't want to lose five pounds in a day.
Speaker 3: They say, they say, I don't know, maybe you felt this, but they say, when you start running marathons, you start burning muscle because your body runs out of fat to burn.
Speaker 1: Well, that will be the last one for a while. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 5: I was awest myself for three like big brother Jake Warner.
Speaker 1: The marathon hat trick.
Speaker 2: No, I ain't no big bro.
Speaker 1: I ain't David Gotuggins. I can carry a few boats and lugs here and there, but I'm good for now. Maybe next year I'll do another one.
Speaker 3: Hey, you carried one boat really far. So I promise you this, I'll never run a marathon.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'm inspired. I'm inspired.
Speaker 8: Maybe Mio saying illegal in California with the guns show going on here, Mark Jaggs talking about John Collins, which is a name that gets brought up, I don't know, twice a week on Clippers Rock and every other Clippers podcast in existence for about five years.
Speaker 1: Now, when are they getting John Collins? They've been talking about this guy for a long time. I think we're still gonna see Carlo. It does bring something up if Kawhi Leonard is an available opening night or when he's unavailable, let's say he's not playing back to backs this season. I don't think he should be at this point. But how do you think they go about reconfiguring the line up? The start lineup in particular, because I think there's a bit of a conundrum. If you go with Norman Powell at the two, yeah, and you slide up Terrence Man and slide up Derek Jones Junior at the four and then have Big Zoo or have Batoom playing the four next to Terrence Man at the three, you're better offensively, but you're giving up more on the defensive end because their point of attack defense is James Harden and Norman Powell. But if you go the other way, and you go James Harden, Terrence Man, Derek Jones, Junior, Niko batoum Avitza Zubats as your starting lineup, you're so heavy on the defensive end and you have a lack of shot creators that can hurt you as well. So how do you think they're going to approach this. Let's say early in the season, should Kawhi Leonard be out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think early in the season, Adam, there is going to be some play tinkering, right, I mean, I know he's called tinkering tie by some members of the media, but I think there's really gonna be some sort of all right matchup based teams.
Speaker 5: If you're gonna play one of the bigger.
Speaker 3: Teams in the NBA, you probably can't go small and maybe play a couple of guards who are a little bit on the smaller side. Versus if you're playing one of the bigger teams the NBA. Maybe we see, you know, we talked about Kay Jones, Maybe we see Mobamba play a little bit of the four. I don't think you was there with Jonathan Isaac. I don't know if they ever played him at the same time, But I think theoretically you could.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I bet they did.
Speaker 1: I bet they tried it.
Speaker 5: I bet they tried it.
Speaker 3: I think there's gonna be something to that in playing you know, what does your opponent look like? And the Clippers haven't done that a lot in the past. I don't think a lot of NBA teams try to do it because you want continuity. But at the same time, feels like this is a team and Brian.
Speaker 5: Sucked about this. You've talked about this. Every game's gonna matter.
Speaker 3: I mean, ars lost two more games last year, they went from a six seed to a ten seed. Then the season prior and we're out on playing tournament.
Speaker 1: Hey, the Sacramento Kings went two games last and went from the third spot to the ninth spot year to year. Like, yeah, it can happen.
Speaker 5: It can happen.
Speaker 3: They can I mean every That's the fun part about this Clippers team is we don't know what they are who they are, but we do know that every game matters in the West, and so for the Clippers, how are you going to approach that. I'm curious. I'm curious to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a really good point.
Speaker 1: It's matchup dependent and that's where you could see whether it's Norm being injected into the starting lineup for more scoring, or they're playing a team like the Phoenix Suns opening night and maybe you feel like, yeah, we might need a tomb out there to start things off. So we have three different guys to throw at Kevin Durant with him, Dereck Jones Junior, and Terrence Man, plus they have to have a booker out there, plus Bradley Beal. Like, I don't know, I know they have the right guy in charge to figure these things out though with head coach Tron Lou. Other people are talking about Dorian Finney Smith, not John Collins. He could be available, but I've.
Speaker 2: Heard that they won a first round pick.
Speaker 1: The Clippers don't have many of those, you know, they have one that they could actually trade right now.
Speaker 2: I think it's the twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: As the years go by, more will open up to being trade eligible with their number one picks. But that's a lot to ask, and I don't know if you want to do something like that, especially if you don't feel like that player takes you into championship contention level. If he gets you back on the inside of contenders, and I'm not sure he does, although I do like him as a player, and I don't hate on John Collins either. Others are saying Jonathan Isaacs would be perfect on this team. I know he's not available, but that defense would be so good. He also had so many injury issues, you know. Yeah, he is one of the best defenders ever. Paul George hit the game winner over him in Orlando this past year on that road trip with the Philly and in Orlando. Really impressive stuff. But Jonathan Isaacs, yeah, he is very impressive. All right, just a few more here before we get out. Carlo. I know you're on the island. I know you're probably getting hungry. I know you're getting workouts into what's what is the food spread right now at Hawaii? Like what what is it? Are you just sipping on my ties on your downtime? Like how much have you been at the beach? Give me the loadown on the on the recreation and leads your aspect of this.
Speaker 5: It's a good time. It's a good time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not I have him, not, Brian, I'm not having my tie at the beach.
Speaker 5: I haven't. I haven't tried one. Actually I need to get either.
Speaker 3: Got to ask him, make sure I can get in, you know, no, just gidding, you're.
Speaker 1: Old enough, right, because looks so damn clear and youthful. Sometimes I can't tell.
Speaker 3: I got ut my driver's license last week.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, I don't. I don't know if I guy Carlo could rent.
Speaker 5: A car yet. But it's good. It's good. I'm a bit.
Speaker 3: I love the ocean. I love like there's no better fhiing for me than getting in the water. In the water here is warm, So I like to wake up and hop in the water and then kind of sit.
Speaker 5: On the beach. I'll do do, do some work, go.
Speaker 3: To practice, do a little bit of work during then watch watch the guys go at it. It's probably the most fun practice we watch all year, just because people go one hundred percent. You know, during the season, when you're in the middle of four games in five days. No one's uh talking smack getting at each other in the regular season, So it's fun to watch that. Who's been great, It's been buffet style and in you get go in and take as much as you want.
Speaker 5: I often take a lot.
Speaker 1: But has it been has it been a louau yet?
Speaker 5: No lou ou, no louau yet?
Speaker 1: Have you got live man? Sorry?
Speaker 5: You know, people want to hear.
Speaker 3: For Cam Christie because he's the only guy who has to I mean, last year was Kobe and Jordan who went up to dance with the luau. But now like, is Cam Christie gonna be the only guy who has to go dance?
Speaker 5: That's that's gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: Hopefully not hopefully maybe some of those E ten guys you could probably get trend flowers up there.
Speaker 5: But I'll report back. I'll report back.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Ing has a recommendation. He wants you to go to the Musabi Cafe. It's in Wyki Ki for spam musabi and Margaro Bros. For Poke Poke. Also, obviously I'm not there.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: I went to a place today that was called the Spot d a spot very much.
Speaker 5: Enjoyed it very much.
Speaker 3: If you're in Waikiki, across the street from Long's Drugs dust Spot.
Speaker 1: All right, I need one more thing from you before we let you go. I need you to point this camera out the window and I need to see the view. Come on, Carlo, come on, I need to know everything I'm missing. Look, this could just be green screen. You're so handy with special effects and stuff. Maybe you're not even in Hawaii. I want you to prove it right now. Damn it. Give me the window.
Speaker 5: No, I am him white here, Okay, I'll show you.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, make us jealous, make us jelly.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 1: There, it is. I'm in pain. I've in pain. I see the palm trees of the beach and the ocean. Oh, the ocean that was getting in Carlo's hair earlier. It's so nice. The saltwater shampoo.
Speaker 5: What's your what's your spots? Where do you go when you come out to Hawaii? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 3: Where's Adam Ouslin's guide to the Islands.
Speaker 1: I haven't been since I think I was twelve and there was a family trip to Kawai. I've never been to the big Islands. I've been to Kawaii. I've been to Mali. When I was even younger, I was probably eight or nine. I remember being on a raft and I saw a sting ray below me. At least I believe I did it that time, or maybe I was making it up and you know, imagining things. But then a wave hit and I cruised in and went all the way onto the beach and I felt like I evaded that sting ray. It was a pretty awesome moment. That's one of my earliest youngest memories. But Kawai is beautiful for sure. I know it's known for more vegetation there you have what more city, but it's still tropical as hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely feels like a little downtown ish, but again not you can't really complain when when you're in Hawaii.
Speaker 5: No complaints, no complaints. But I'm excited, man, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, you've you're pounded at the com I still got forty minutes of the Noegle episode listen to, so I gotta go work out and listen to that here on clippers Talk.
Speaker 1: But I got something else coming for you later tonight. Part two of the Ralph Lahler interview is dropping in about one hour from now on clippers Talk. I've been waiting for this. My editor shot it over earlier. It's twenty gigs of four k one hour. I think in one minute of it of the second part of our interview with Ralph Lawler, and I think you guys are going to love this one. A lot of some goat talk, some what if stories with different Clippers eras he talked about the two to three era Lob City era. Of course, that was Ralph Lawler's era of most successful Clippers teams, guys like Derek Smith who ended up having a career changing injury and unfortunately died tragically in his thirties, but a lesser known budding star in the league in the early eighties that was given Michael Jordan the business with your lot Angelo's Clippers. I know you guys are gonna want to know about him San Diego Clippers. Actually at that time, we talk about Sean Livingston, who could he have been even though he was a successful role player with the Golden State Warriors obviously and a key mid range bucket getter, what happens if he doesn't have that knee injury? And then another what if? We talk about Kobe Bryant didn't just have one chance to be a Clipper, but two chances, and he got away from him both times because of bad ownership with Clippers at that time. But things have changed now, obviously under Steve Balmer. So that's dropping in I think just less than an hour. Ralph Lawler Part two. Noah Eagle, my guy. It's five o'clock somewhere, including in Hawaii right now. We're knowing eagles go grabbing my tie. Enjoy yourself. Thanks for coming on Clippers sock Adam.
Speaker 3: Anytime any place anywhere, I will show you where what hotel.
Speaker 5: Window I am view? Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: We're doing this all season long. Every city you're in, you're looking out the windows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when we go, when we go someplaces, it will just.
Speaker 3: Be nothing stuff, So just the heads up there's nothing out there.
Speaker 5: But yeah, anytime any place, man. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: I can't wait for Ralph Part two.
Speaker 1: Ralph Part two, and I can't wait for this season to get underway. It starts in the preseason. This Saturday three pm is your Clippers Countdown show as Carlo Jimenez is on the call at four from Honolulu, Hawaii for Clippers at Golden State Warriors preseason game number one. We got all the covers for you on AM five seventy LA Sports for Carlo Jimenez. I'm out of Moslin. Love you guys. This has been another addition with Carlo Amennez on location in Hawaii of Clippers Talk