Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thang you, Nicole. Hope everyone is nice and toasty warm as we get ready for a couple of little snow events this last week of January. Good evening everyone. My name is Dan Ray, the host of Nightside. Always an honor and pleasure to work with Nicole Davis, who's one of the true broadcast professionals, not only in New England but in America. As far as I am concerned, I cannot heap enough praise on my friend Nicole Davis. Nor can I heap enough praise on my great friend Rob Brooks, who's the producer of this program. We've been we are now. I am in my eighteenth year, and I think Rob has been with me about thirteen or fourteen of those years. We have to go back, Rob and figure out exactly what year you began so we can give you proper credit. But welcome to all of you listeners. I say old, I don't mean I don't mean old in terms of age, but listeners have been with me for a long time, and perhaps if you're listening tonight for the first time anywhere across America, around the world, feel free to join and participate. We'll take phone calls beginning after nine o'clock with our guest. Tonight, we're going to talk about the legislature in Massachusetts maybe getting serious finally and banning cell phone usage by students in high schools or in all schools here in Massachusetts. We'll talk about the state senator about that, and then later on I'm going to talk about the standoff that occurred between the presidents of the United States and Columbia over the weekend, and it looks as if the President of Columbia came to came to his senses and caved on that. We'll talk about that at ten. But first off, did the earth move for you today? I was asked that question by a friend of mine today and I smiled, No. I was not impacted by the earthquake off the coast of York, but I know that area of New England very well. And with me now is a guest that I don't I guess I haven't talked to in about twenty or so years. Boston College professor John Ebel with the Western Observatory, who monitors all of these movements. Professor, welcome to Night's side. For the first time, and nice. Nice to renew our acquaintance of many years ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed it was an earthquake a long time ago, now that I had the pleasure of medium.
Speaker 2: I think it was early in the morning, if I recall.
Speaker 3: It was, Yes, Yes, we both got roused to the observatory about something like two in the morning, and we were both a little bit bleary.
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah, I was working the morning shift, but that was one of the more the earlier morning morning assignments that I was. I was literally I wasn't shaken out of bed by the earthquake, but I would have been shaken out of by an overnight a phone call from the overnight producer at the time, whoever that wonderful person was. So this today it generated a lot of publicity. I was watching the noon newscasts on Channel five and also Channel four, switching back and forth. You got a lot of time on television today. Where were you when the earth moved?
Speaker 3: I was actually at the observatory, sitting in my office working on my computer. I don't think it felt it, but I felt it. But I remember at one point just wondering, I wonder if there was just an earthquake. And then I didn't think anything of it because I didn't feel anything. It was more like just a little sound or something that I may have picked up if I was concentrating on my works. I didn't pay attention. And then about I don't know, a few minutes later, I got a text from a friend at Framingham State and she said, was there just an earthquake? And then I checked the records and boy, there was an earthquake. And then the emails and telephone calls started coming.
Speaker 2: In, so I know what it registered initially at full point one. Then it got downgraded a little bit. That's that's a pretty good size quake. But that's since it was offshore, probably it's not going to do too much damage. I watched the newscast tonight on Channel five and Channel four, and yeah, obviously people closer to York Maine felt it and heard it. But how significant is this and what does it tell us? It doesn't tell us that California is going to slide into the ocean, obviously.
Speaker 3: Well, what I like to tell people is it's a reminder that we also live in earthquake country, just as they do in California. The big difference between the earthquakes here in New England and the earthquakes in California is what they get in one year in terms of earthquake activity in California, we have to wait one hundred years to get the same number of earthquakes here in New England. So the earthquake activity plays itself out at a much slower rate than it doesn't in California, and that that helps us because we just don't have as many damaging earthquakes in any you know, year, or or century or or or any time period compared to California.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me ask you the thousand dollars question at least, and that is why are we so lucky we have an ocean in a coastline and California is so unlucky in terms of earthquakes. I'm sure it's a complicated answer, but uh, is California like earthquakes central for the entire world or are there other areas of the world that are well, we hear these earthquakes in the Middle East that are calamitous because its entire cities that that that get knocked over. Is it just different parts of the world. It just so happens to be where you live. Is that? What's the what's the explanation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, in a very rough way, that's it. Most of the world's earthquakes, nine twenty percent of them occur at the boundaries between two tectonic plates. California is at the boundary between the North American Plate and the Pacific Ocean Plate. In fact, Los Angeles technically is on the Pacific Ocean Plate because it's west of the San Andreas Fault. So when I lived in California and I would drive into the Los Angeles area, I knew where the San Andrea's fault was, and I would think to myself as I crossed the fault, Welcome to the Welcome to the Pacific Plate. Here in Boston. Here in Boston, we're on the edge of the continent, or we're actually in the middle of the North American tectonic plate, because the eastern boundary of the North American Plate is actually in the center of the Atlantic Ocean. We are spreading away from Europe and Africa, and at a rate of about an inch or two per year, and the spreading is occurring right in the center of the Atlantic, at what we called the mid Atlantic Ridge. So every year, for instance, we get a couple of inches farther from Ireland, for example. So I tell my friends who have you know, Irish connections and want to go back to Ireland, better go now because next year is going to be farthest. So the tickets are going to cost more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've since that. The last time I flew there, it seemed like a longer flight. Only kidding, only kidding. Uh, Okay, So is the central part of the America. They get tornadoes and they get some pretty nasty weather, but I guess they're a little immune to earthquakes in in the central in Central Falls.
Speaker 3: Oh. Just the opposite, uh. In the in the central United States, between southern Missouri and Arkansas on one side and Tennessee and Kentucky on the other side, is what's called the New Madrid Seismic Zone, which had we think we're the largest earthquakes away from plate boundaries known historically about magnitude seven and a half for the largest largest earthquakes, and those earthquakes were felt all the way to the East coast.
Speaker 2: WHOA, okay, well then we're kind of okay. And basically, as I understood it today, that was one of the plates was kind of sliding underneath one of the others. Is that some earth that's what was going on out there under the water. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Basically what's happening is we're moving away from Europe and Africa, so we're being pushed toward the west at the eastern plate boundary you go out to California. In California is pushing against the Pacific Ocean plate. So what that's doing is that's catching the entire middle of the North American Plate, including where we live, in a squeezing motion. Just as if you were to put a clay brick into a vice and slowly turn the crank on device to increase the pressure. You can't do that forever until the brick breaks, and it's doing that to relieve the pressure. The place where it breaks, the crack is what we would call a fault, and we have those all the time here in the middle of the North American Plate. And that's what happened this morning.
Speaker 2: Professor is always great to talk to you. We haven't covered this in the level or depth that i'd like to, and I'd like to give our listeners some night a chance to join us and ask questions of someone I EU who knows this stuff cold. Could I guess you to come back some night and one of the later hours at nine or ten and take phone calls from listeners. These these these interviews in this hour are just in many cases much too brief. If I could, if I could prevail upon you to return at some point, if not this week, next week, when this is fashioned people's mind, I'd appreciate it, and I know my listeners would as well.
Speaker 3: I would be happy to be And to me, it's actually an important part of my work educating people about earthquakes, because when the next earthquake occurs that's strong enough that it might be damaging, it's important for me to tell people what's going to happen, what to expect, how to keep themselves safe from the earthquakes.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. I will look forward to chatting with you at some point in the next a week to ten days something like that. My producer will get in touch with you, okay. Professor John Ebel, Boston College, a senior research scientist at the Western Observatory focusing on earthquakes. Thanks so much, professor, great to talk again. We can't let twenty years go by before we talk. We'll talk within a matter of hopefully just a few days. Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds good, Thank you much.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk about a simple concept, but it's not that simple, right sizing your life. We will talk with Marnie Jamison about that very topic, and I suspect many of you can anticipate what we will be discussing back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Would like to welcome Marnie Jamison. She's an author and home and lifestyle columnist. Marnie Jamison, Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: So we are going to talk about the headline that I have in front of me says, right side today to create your best life tomorrow. I kind of suspect I know what you're talking about, but I'd like to hear it from you directly. What exactly do we right size today which creates our best life tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Well, I wrote this book after writing a couple books on downsizing which just filt sort of depressing, and I thought, ye, yes, right, it is not downsizing, it's right sizing, and I think the catch is this, the ideal home in the ideal place, with the ideal stuff is what we all should seek to strive for, and it changes with our stage in life, but we don't keep up. So I really want people have evolved and think about you know, you're not if you're still living in the house that you bought because it was close to the kids' school and close to a job that you no longer have, and the kids are off on their own lives, they're off to college. You know, maybe you need to rethink where you're living and why and should you live somewhere else? And then the hitch van is is your stuff holding you back? Because so many people go, oh, you know, it's just too much trouble. I've got too much stuff. You know, I'm never okay.
Speaker 2: Move Okay, I'm a too much stuff guy, all right? Long time okay journalist, TV reporter here in Boston thirty one years, eighteen years as a talk show host. I had paper records from the nineteen seventies, eighties, nineties. I have stuff, Okay. I'm not a packweb Okay, I know where it is. It's in file cabinets. My wife keeps screaming to me, get rid of the file cabinets. Yeah, stuff, I have some stuff over my life that you know, I have kept, often for sentimental reasons. How do you do that? How do you say okay to whatever? You know? You're you know stuff? It's tough, I think, ye. How do you condition me convince me?
Speaker 4: All right? Well there are I have a lot of things to tell you, but let's start with this. I think that onces to talk about why this matters, and it does so for so many people. For some people it's not their papers, but it may be their photographs or or even clothing or you know, dishes from their grandmother. But here's the thing. If we all this stuff makes us feel like we matter in our lives matter, and our history matters, and we've done things and we've been places. But guess what you've done? All that's true even if you don't have this stuff. You've been places, you've done things, you had loving relationships, you have good memories, and you don't need to keep the file tabinet to prove it. So that's the first thing is is make you know your secret is a scanner. You need to make you know. Sport through your papers, figure out what's really necessary to keep and scan it into a into a computer and to described it will really minimize the amount of papers that you're you're holding onto.
Speaker 2: Okay, my question is this, I know a little bit about scanners you're talking about that's like hours and hours days.
Speaker 4: And hire an intern. Yeah, you get an intern higher someone. Yeah, and they're going to be better at it than you for sure. What do you do will help you edit?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What about your Hell well, I got to edit my stuff. The intern con editor stuff. The intern doesn't know.
Speaker 4: You've got to edit.
Speaker 2: I got to do the editing front. Okay. So then the question is what do you do with the videotapes? The videotapes of your kids the first Christmas? I mean, I have I'm looking across the room here at dozens of videotapes. I have no idea what's on them. I hope that they still will work. They're like, you know, half inch, three quarter range or whatever. Old. So what do you do?
Speaker 4: Scan my photos dot com? I'm telling you, scan my photos dot com. My friend Mitch Goldstone has done the scan videos. Will he will migrat it into the digital age. He will take care of all of it. He's done billions of people's photos, videos and never lost anything. He's a great guy. Scan my photos dot com.
Speaker 2: What's his name?
Speaker 4: His name is what Mitch Goldstone. He's the owner of scan my photos dot com. Tell him, Marnie Amuson sent you. We're long time, but he is. He has taken care of all my photos. He has scanned them all. They are now on one one DVD and we can migrate them forward and they're in the cloud. So it's a big fire happened. He's based in Coast and Mason, but I'm in Florida and I send my stuff to him.
Speaker 2: What do you do? Load your stuff up on a truck and.
Speaker 4: Well you'll actually, you know, I don't know how he handles videos per se, but you us. You just put them in a box and sent it to them and you put posts on which ones. He will scan the post it too and tell you this is nineteen seventy seven. You interview with you know, somebody's famous and migrated.
Speaker 2: I have interviews with just about every president never never mind governors and senators and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you need digital migration. There's also something Dan called it. There are organizers, right, and there's somebody who's there's a special called digital organizing. And if you look up organizers, professional organizers, and digital organizers, that sounds like what could be very helpful to you. They can make short work out of all of your stuff. But let's get back to why you have so much stuff and you really really want to break it down to These are my three favorite words in this realm. Need, use, love, Do I need it? Do I use it? Do I love it? If you can't answer yes to at least one of those questions, you really need to think about letting go.
Speaker 2: Yep, no, I hear you, Martie, give us the book because I got to go buy the book. It's called the name of give us the name. The name of the book is White Size Today.
Speaker 4: That's my latest book. I have seven books, but the latest one that came out last year, Right Size Today, for your Best Life Tomorrow. And it takes you from where do you live now?
Speaker 3: And why?
Speaker 4: And where should you live? And how can you get there? So it talks about where you should live and there's questions and exercises and then my favorite part of the book is the last third of the book, which what do you live with, because once you get that perfect size house in the perfect location, you don't want to fill it with a bunch of your clutter. So it talks about how to pick the perfect items for every room in the house so you buy quality and not quantity.
Speaker 2: Well sounds great, Marnie Jamison. So it's m A. R. N I Jamison, like the whiskey or the scotch. I'm not a Jacus.
Speaker 4: Yeah I wish. I wish that were my grandfather, but it's not. But we do still our names. Name's j A. M. E.
Speaker 2: S O. When right Size today to create your best life tomorrow. It's available at Amazon and.
Speaker 4: Everywhere, yes, everywhere, everywhere that sells books.
Speaker 2: Well, that is great. I thank you, and I didn't mean to personalize it, but I'm in that age category where you have to think to yourself, hey, yeah, can't take it with you, but you certainly don't want to lose it for so you've helped me, Marny, and I think you've helped a lot of my listeners as well. Thank you very very much.
Speaker 4: You're welcome. You don't want to leave a mess to your kids, and no one's going to take care of it as well as you will. So if you can organize and categorize and make some sense out of it, you'll be doing everyone a big favor.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Thanks Marni, we'll talk again.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dan, Take care all right.
Speaker 2: We have a little bit of a snow event coming tomorrow morning during the morning commute. Of course, we had that bus accident that took down some poles and wires today in East Boston en Route one A, which costs quite a traffic jam. Well problem tomorrow morning. We will be talking with an acuweather meteorologist to figure out exactly exactly how tomorrow will go, and also another event probably about twenty four hours later. So stay tuned all of you, particularly who will be on the road tomorrow morning for the morning commute. My name is Dan Ray, coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well weather fans, we have a little bit of a snow event tomorrow morning, I believe, but who am I to predict that? We have with us Matt benz Aki, weather meteorologist. Matt, it's been kind of a quiet winter so far, but we're gonna have a little activity tomorrow timed perfectly for the morning commute. It sounds like, how are you tonight? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm doing all right? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Probably doing better than most of the drivers are gonna be doing about a third tomorrow morning. Us what's going on? And we got two we got two potential events I guess in the next thirty six or forty eight hours.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, that's right. What we have are several clippers. These are fast moving storms that sweep across basically from the Great Lag to New England, and they're kind of quick hitting systems. They're in and out of here really quickly. But with these specific clippers, they have what's called an Arctic coal front. You remember that cold that we saw week and a half ago, that really cold stuff, Well that's just to our north and we're not really going to get into that core of the cold, but we're kind of straddling the edge of it. And with each of these cold fronts that come through, they could touch off snow smalls. These are heavier bursts of snow that can happen suddenly and unfortunately just timed out perfectly tomorrow and again for Wednesday for our commutes. Now, if there's any good news tomorrow, it may come a little bit after the morning commute, so hopefully we can get that over and done with and not have any issues out there. But what does look like? We could see a couple of snowshowers working their way through the Boston area mid morning through the midday tomorrow. And you may say it's just a snowshower, but the snow that these things produce heavy, quick hitters, not necessarily a lot of snow, but just well the visibility that you see that drops so quickly with these it's what makes them so dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this is sort of like if you put it in a in a sports reference, sort of like the the Mike Tyson of snowstorms. I mean, you know, you gotta feel it.
Speaker 5: Quickly exactly. And for any Star Wars fans out there, you're making the jump to light speed and that's the snow flying past. You have, just the snow streaks that'll be out there.
Speaker 2: It comes to what happens Wednesday morning, A little more serious potential on Wednesday. Yeah, it looks like a little bit steadier snow. So tomorrow it's more of these snow squalls, something that's gonna last for five minutes and it's out of here, but we are watching a more robust clipper that moves in here tomorrow night and into Wednesday. Now, this will have event initially spread over just some gradual white snow here across much of the Greater Boston area, much of the region, and that could put down an inch or two, maybe three inches of snow my Wednesday morning. And that's of course a little bit more of a concern for the morning commute on Wednesday, where we could see slippery and snow covered roads to start the day. Now, when you talked about this Arctic blast, I mean, your weather guys have a million words for it. They used to call it the Montreal Express thirty years ago or whatever. There was another word it was that that you guys used to talk about. There was like this vortex that came down from Canada. Yeah, remember what we tex What's what's the polar vortext?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I think there was even another name to the polar vortex.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm not up with my hip names these days.
Speaker 2: Well, it was even a stranger name, and it was like, whoa what are we talking about here? It was scary when you talked about this this storm as I understand it looking at the weather forecast tonight actually emanates from southern California. This is part of this is the and again you know the weather guy, I'm not, but is this not part of the storm that hit southern California with wings?
Speaker 5: Eventually we will get to that storm. That one is still in southern California right now. What we are seeing is coming out of the Northern Rocky Mountains and out of the Canadian Rockies. That's so where these couple of pieces of energy will be coming from. Eventually, though, we will be looking at a storm here later this week, and that's the one that we'll keep a close eye on. Whether it's going to be snow or rain or something in between here for the Boston area. But that could be a mess here later this week. And that's the one that is now moving through southern California now and into the desert southwest. Yeah, it's kind of a different entity, but that will impact us later in the week.
Speaker 2: That's the one that the weather folks were kind of alluding to as maybe Friday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Friday Friday into Friday night is a time period for that, and we're kind of watching is this going to be a big snow event or is it going to be a big rain event for us? If any snow lovers out there, obviously you're rooting for the snow, But at this point it looks like temperters rebound fairly quickly by Friday. We're back into the mid forties by Friday afternoon, so it seems likely that we probably see some sort of a mix or just rain here in the Boston area for Friday afternoon. But as we head into Friday night, can it get cold nothing, we'll switch over to snow. That's a big question right now, and that's what we'll have to tease out of the forecast over the next day or so.
Speaker 2: Matthew the best. Hey, I appreciate you taking the time tonight. This has been just the last question. This has been kind of a quiet winter for us in terms of snow correct.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah. For the season, twelve and a half inches so far in Boston averages twenty two, so we're already below average, and just for this month six eight inches officially at logan. Typically we'd have over a foot of snow at this point. So yeah, it's no kidding. It has been a dry winter with regards to snow so far. Part of the reason for that, it's just been the cold. It suppresses storm track. You remember those couple of storms that went through Atlanta and New Orleans. That's where the storm track has been here for the last month, and that's why we haven't seen much for snow.
Speaker 2: So twelve inches normally twenty two where you're saying, normally we would have twenty two at this point at the end of January, or twenty two for the whole winter.
Speaker 5: No twenty two for the end as from November through the end of January, we'd have twenty two inches of snow and we're only at twelve and a half right now, so just under half the amount of where we should be right now, and most of that snowfell this month, but it certainly doesn't seem like it at least as of late for.
Speaker 2: The snow lovers. I just want to remind people of the big storms of January and February of twenty fifteen, nine years ago, when we had no snow up until like the middle of January and then it didn't stop snowing. We were around at that point back in twenty fourteen, the winter twenty fourteen twenty fifteen.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if we're necessarily at that point just yet.
Speaker 2: We're Oh no, no, no, I'm not suggesting. Oh god, no, I hope not. We had we had like one hundred inches of snow from the middle of January to the first of March.
Speaker 5: It just kept showing. Yes, I do remember that. Yeah, it was a we just turned on the light switch and here came the snow. And it was every weekend. And I've said this before.
Speaker 2: I remember being out on a flat roof that I climbed out of like a knucklehead, out of a window, and all of a sudden I was up to my armpits in snow and it was like, well, this isn't a good idea. I had a shovel in my hand, but there was nowhere to move. I had all I could do to climb back in the window. I thought they'd find me sometime in June. Yeah, so, yeah, I don't want to jinx it, but remember that's always a possibility here in New England. That fends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks so much, yeah, thanks, yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure we'll probably get back to you maybe one more time. At least this work maybe even later this week. We'll see. Thanks, Buddy, I appreciate very much, Thank you much. Yeah, Bet, Matt is a great weather forecast. Res also a guy who you can actually talk to. He's He's excellent. I'm going to talk to an old friend, Debbie Colton. Coming up tomorrow or today rather is Holocaust Rememberance Day. It was eighty years ago today that Ouschwitz was liberated by Allied troops, and it's a day we must never forget. Going to be talking with Debbie Colton coming right up right after this on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Way Live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Today is the eightieth anniversary of the liberation of the Ouschwitz concentration Camp. Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. This is eighty years, eighty years ago today that this nightmare ended, but anti Semitism continues even in our community, and that's one of the reasons we must never forget. With me is a longtime friend, Debbie Colton, and we're going to talk about the significance of Holocaust Remembrance Dad. It should be obvious, Debbie, but I'm afraid that the Holocaust is not being taught in schools as it once was. And I'm afraid that as time goes on and the survivors pass on, our collective memory of this horrific time and history is being forgotten. How are you tonight, Debbie? Happy?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 6: I am well, and thank you. I am and thank you for having me on. I hope you're well too.
Speaker 2: Yep, doing great, And I just think it's important. You know, again, we all remember Pearl Harbor, the day that we got dragged into World War One. We remember all our holidays, but that's why it's important for us to just reflect on this today. I've been to Auschwitz. I believe you have as well. I have. Every American you should walk those that path, and it's been preserved, and it's preserved so we never forget. Are we losing? Are we losing our collective memory about this?
Speaker 6: We are, Dan, and the surveys are bearing this out really sadly. Auschwitz has become the symbol of what humanity is capable of, right people. Everyday people built it, they committed the crimes there, and these weren't aliens from out of space who came and did it. So that's what Auschwitz represents, and the Holocaust is that stock reminder of what can happen when anti Semitism and any kind of hatred goes unchecked. So that's why it's extremely important to remember daylight today International Holocaust Remembrance Day. It's a time to remember the victims of the Holocaust, and it's a time to recommit ourselves to action to ensure never happens again. You know, you talked about do you want to ask me a question?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm just I'm wincing, because, yeah, we it can never happen again. But you just see that you hear some of the echoes of these same similar voices and attitudes.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, I interrupted, you dedicates, Yeah, no, no, And you're right.
Speaker 6: You know, it's anti Semitism is going in the wrong direction across the globe, around our country and even here in Massachusetts, and even bring it down further into local communities. Antisemitism it's at all time high in the United States, according to the ADL. Deeply troubling is the ADL's recent finding that nearly fifty percent of adults across the globe harbored deeply entrenched anti Semitic attitudes. Fifty percent of billions of people you know, there were.
Speaker 2: Severity if it was fifteen percent, never mind fifty or if it was five percent, never mind.
Speaker 6: Right fifty percent, And we are seeing this manifestation locally. Anti Semitism in Massachusetts has increased two hundred five percent, and sadly, I think in our state we have gone from six dranking sixth in the country to fifth in the country. And it's so alarming that anti Semitism and K twelve schools is up one hundred thirty five percent K twelve schools.
Speaker 2: I was told something the other day which shocked me and which I was unaware of, And I'd love to know if you had heard this, that in the wake of the liberation of the camp, at the camp lived, you know, German officers and German soldiers, and some of them were there at the camp with their families, with their yeah, their wives and their children. And I'm told that those German officers in many cases basically gave cyanide pills to their families so they would they would commit suicide before the Allied troops arrived, and and of course took their own lives as well. Is that true or is that an urban myth?
Speaker 6: I don't know. Dan, I'm sorry, I don't know that if it's.
Speaker 2: True or as someone who whoo who understands it, and I believe that well, it's the first time I saw I heard that story and it's uh and and I have every reason to believe that it was true that they were that there were German officers who were living at that camp with their families who once who was a parent, that all was lost from their perspective, their families as as a group committed suicide through the use of cyanaid pills. What is thatt.
Speaker 6: It's true and just you know, when we think about what we want our children to learn, and so much of the work that we do at Lapin Foundation around Holocaust and anti Semitism education is to feel the other's pain. It's just not numbers and dates and facts, right, these were lives that were lost in horrible ways and that people did this to each other. And if we lose that feeling of empathy, that feeling of humanity, of being responsible one for the other, it's not good. It's not good for humanity the direction this is going in.
Speaker 2: Are there some groups, Debbie, that you could recommend to my listeners that they might want to be aware of again, to do something on it today to Obviously we know we're familiar with the Anti Defamation League, but what are some of the other groups that you've.
Speaker 6: Been in Sure, sure there are wonderful groups, you know promoting Holocaust education, as you said, the ADL lap And Foundation. Of course, families can go on look at films here, survivors, The show Off Foundation says eight. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum another excellent source facing history. Stand with us. There's not a lack of resources to learn. When you think about six million lives lost right over a course of twelve years. That's a big piece of history and so much to learn. So if we can each commit ourselves to learning a little bit, to remembering, to pausing on the day, and then to acting to use it, to act to make tomorrow better than today, was that that can help us move in the direction we should go in.
Speaker 2: Debby Cultis, thanks very much for joining us tonight. Obviously, it's a serious subject of very serious subjects, very serious subject and again the phrase never forget, never again all of us, it must be in place and in our minds, whether we happen to be Jewish or simply a human being. I think every human being should feel that way. Debbie is always.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Thank you so much. Take care.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk about a more current day problem, and that is cell phones and cell phones interfering with kids here in Massachusetts and elsewhere with their education. And we will talk about a legislative effort here in Massachusetts actually ban the use of cell phones while students are in schools here in Massachusetts, not only in high school, but junior high school and also elementary school. We'll be back on Nightside right after the news at nine o'clock