Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show? Call up? Steve now went five two oh four one six seventy four.
Speaker 2: Ford, Hey, welcome back to my in the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're Blake, and now we have Ray with breaking news.
Speaker 1: Well, this is I on the ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: You're still shocked by what t wants Hi about his Yeah, yeah, I mean unbelievable rights. Right, It's the least the least people you expect sometimes.
Speaker 3: Right, Amy, all right?
Speaker 4: Starting off with what we've been talking about already, Nico with the tough last name, Uh talking to Earth you still, yeah?
Speaker 3: Talking to U. C. L A.
Speaker 4: After the whole Tennessee thing that went down over the past weekend, I thought there was going to be a chance to us. He was gonna be in there too, because I don't think they have like a definitive starter and you know, Lincoln Riley probably needs to get things going after.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine yourself, even Blake, I'm not gonna ask you what you signed for if you signed for anything, but you're eighteen nineteen twenty years old at a school like Arizona or whatever, and you're making one point five, one point whatever whatever you're making.
Speaker 5: Could I imagine that? Yeah? Could you as an eighteen year old in college? Yeah? No, I mean I would have been dead and I would have been dead in a ditch somewhere like there's I would have I would have had the greatest six months of my life. Maybe arguably I had a pretty good run in college. Anyway, it's part but that's part of it. Maybe it's kind of crazy. Yeah, but I to raise point just to get back to the topic. Can handle a little bit. USC. Lincoln Riley's got to do something right, I mean like, yeah, I mean you talk about some of the the I thought that was a great hire for USC, go out and get them. And it's like Lincoln stepped on campus, is like I'm good, like whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like he I don't know, it doesn't feel like he's taking it as seriously. Yeah he did, Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: I mean at the same time, I think even when USC was good with Caleb Williams, it was the same faults where it was like great offense, not a really good defense. Yeah, And I think I remember a couple of years ago when they played Washington, like it was just a shootout that I think Washington literally made like two stops and then just ended up taking the game.
Speaker 5: That was that was still Pack twelve though. Yeah, that was still against uh Arizona, No, no, Washington US.
Speaker 3: He was playing Washington, yeah, because that was the.
Speaker 2: Same thing with Arizona. I mean, whoever had the ball last was gonna win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Arizona didn't have Caleb Williams. No, no oh when they played each other, you know, yeah, yeah, but you're to your point, like with Caleb Williams when you have a number one overall draft quarterback right in the Pac twelve and this is a knock and that was a I think that was That was a great year for That was a great year for Yeah. So a little bit better team, I mean a lot better teams, but still, like you, you should not be losing games.
Speaker 4: They didn't even make it to the to the conference. No, the championship wasn't it was never in contention for the the playoffs.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we'll keep it moving.
Speaker 4: Arizona women's basketball team landed a Memphis transfer, ten Tenyual Welch.
Speaker 3: Tenny Tenuel Welch.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I'm so glad that Ray's trying to say names, because I I butchered. I'm the worst. I'm surprised you even had me on your show. I can't even get a regular word out of my mouth. Congratulations, Right, you're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Al Right, So that's two now I think that she has Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's got three.
Speaker 5: Buffalo the transfer from Buffalo, the mid Atlantic transfer and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah Caleb, yeah from Cleveland in Cleveland State. Okay, keeping it going.
Speaker 4: Uh co Pete officially signed, so he obviously had. Uh he's been he announced that he was going to be coming here for a while.
Speaker 3: But I guess it's official now for whatever. That's what you know what.
Speaker 5: That means mister Blake, Well he's the trick question fished. Yeah, the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because over the last week or so, they've they've signed jayde Bradley, h Delorso, Awaka and cres Right, So weren't they already here?
Speaker 5: Now they have to sign them. I told you it's it's your re recruiting every single year.
Speaker 2: So I asked them, I said, this is just kind of odd because Blake's coming back for a second year. Well, we don't have to say that because we knew that he was coming back. You nowhere to go. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. So they're signing these things. So I asked the people at u of A, what does this all mean? Because it's new they're signing and Bryant's no, Brian co Copete signed signed. Okay, So they are signing agreements related to revenue sharing the twenty million dollars in a portion with ther continguency that the House Settlement is approved and implemented, or they're signing a financial aid agreement for the upcoming year related to their scholarships.
Speaker 5: I also think it's just a way for them to create some media buzz for their local markets to allow people know they're coming back. I mean, I think there's always a question mark on our side. Maybe yea. I think that's that's you can think that way. Yeah, I guess. Oh, I appreciate you allowing me to No.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I guess I guess that's a that's get of the studio. I'm gonna find somebody to help. Can't tomorrow, No no, no, no, you can take that way, because I guess if you're gonna want some publicity in the signing. Yeah, the thing about a sponsor by Kentucky Fried Chicken, yeah.
Speaker 5: Or something like that. You remember that kid from was it uh? Was it u U c l A. I don't know the kid that put on the fake press conference and then said he was it was col Or something and then he said he was going to cal uh and they had this whole press conference and the cow coach was like, I've never even heard of this kid. You don't remember that, No, you can google. It wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 2: But this is isn't it that court case where the actress actress and actresses put their kids to school and they didn't play it on the rowing team.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that was uh, that was what five six years ago? Anyway, back to ray, keep butchering those names, right, I'll keep doing it. Not all of them could be hymeniz Yeah. I couldn't find it. But we'll get back to that fake press conference.
Speaker 4: Yes, Arizona baseball snapped a four game losing streak again.
Speaker 2: Oh they had been losing four games before last yeah okay, oh okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. So they are now.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to BYU over the weekend in Provo, and they are twenty six and ten on the season so far.
Speaker 5: Okay, and what third in the big twelfth?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, a good squad though. Chip's done. Good job with that team. Oh yeah, yeah of course. Yeah. What about softball? You have softball? Because they've played tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've played tomorrow against Tech Texas Texas. So that's going to be a top fifteen, top fifteen.
Speaker 2: Well Texas Tech has that said, the million dollar baby from Stanford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting one.
Speaker 5: Did you imagine having eighteen million dollars this eighteen? I can't you keep telling these numbers out there, like I, Yeah, I can imagine it. Will I ever have it?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 5: Probably not. I don't have the mindset. Could you imagine have it at forty two? Yeah? I just you know, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think the only thing well we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Off there, yep, there you go.
Speaker 4: Arizona Golf in the Western Allegic Tournament.
Speaker 3: There as a team. They're in third. But oh, here's another one.
Speaker 5: Philip jacob uh Jacobig Jacobite. He was a Highland warrior from Scotland. I think, oh man, that's a Jacobite. So he's in the he's in the lead.
Speaker 4: And we also have Zach uh polo double almost got me in Spanish.
Speaker 5: Zach, this is great radio. Let's keep it going right.
Speaker 3: In the third place, what is that?
Speaker 5: That's the Western Regional?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 5: Western was just a tournament?
Speaker 3: I think? Yeah, it's the Western Regional, I believe.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 2: I was watching some of it last night, and they're they're doing really well as a team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. As a team, they're third. And then you got first.
Speaker 5: Individual players that are we don't need to go over those names. Just start with the first names en roll from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, happened yesterday.
Speaker 4: Warriors beat the Rockets and I guess kind of an el Bider in the end, you know, Grizzy or beat the Grizzly.
Speaker 5: Sorry to it took a five second call to get him to win that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean jocking and get open. I guess.
Speaker 5: So every time you see Steph, did you watch the game the NBA game?
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no I didn't. I was listening to on the radio and I got home and cut the tail out of it. The dude, the dude is better every time you see him. He saved that game. Oh yeah, his shots were unbelievable.
Speaker 4: No, And it was just crazy because he has like the he had like his thumb wrapped on his shooting hand, and you're like, man, he's just he's still just switching him every time. You're like, yeah, yeah, but yeah, him and Jimmy Butler combined for seventy five points in that game.
Speaker 3: So that's they.
Speaker 5: Needed every one of them. Oh yeah, that's Butler time right now. That's another dude. That's another team that we were talking about before that. You know, we were talking about who can make it to the conference finals or even to the championship. But with Butler and the playoff, Butler is a different beast for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think they to me, they were one of the few teams that can match up well against the Lakers, just because they have two like medium sized guys that can match up with Draymond and Jimmy Butler, that can match up with Luca and Lebron.
Speaker 3: You don't have to end up having to FaceTime.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the Hawks lost to the Magic and Trey Young got ejected last night as well.
Speaker 3: In that first selling game.
Speaker 2: He was he was throwing the ball at the refs, and yeah, just handling the ball with the refs.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Refs seem like he just got his feelings hurt to me, But we'll leave that for another time.
Speaker 4: The Heat and the Bulls start their game, uh, to see who's going to be playing the Hawks in twenty eighth minutes, and the Mavericks and the Kings start their game following that, to see who's gonna be end up playing the.
Speaker 5: You're right though, no, he says the Kings. I said the Kings make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: You're right though, you could have a Lucian record in still be part of the top ten.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's wild to me. Yeah, I don't know, but maybe I'm in my own little corner here on this back in nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's fair. I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not a fan of the play in just because, I mean, you have more than half the teams having a chance for a play for a playoff spot of the whole league, Like you're only leaving ten out of thirty out.
Speaker 5: So it literally feels from my standpoint that the playoffs are longer than the actual season. Yeah, like it's just so long. I mean hockey's the same way. To degree, it's just such a long process for the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Well, it's actually two months. It'll be two months before the grounded champion, which isn't That's that's wild to me, isn't that?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 5: I don't know? And now you have a mid season tournament to go along with that. It's like, what am I watching? Am I following regular season waiting to the playoff and my following Like if my team doesn't have a chance to win a championship in the playoffs, should I watch the mid season tournament?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 5: Where am I at this? I'm sure you have a lot of friends who are fans of sports. Why do you assume that it's an assumption to make what do you think I hang with? I was afraid you even say that you had friends. Yeah, well that's probably the biggest.
Speaker 2: Concern they'll watch the NBA because I don't know anybody really that's really loyal to the regular season.
Speaker 5: I know I'm not, but you know I'm different. I think Ray's probably the biggest NBA fan out of all of us, right that I would assume.
Speaker 3: Or I mean I keep up with it, I won't.
Speaker 4: I won't watch a game really, but I'll keep up with it just to just you know, have headlines and stuff.
Speaker 5: And if I'm going to watch a game, I don't turn it on till the fourth quarter because teams happens. Yeah, but the third quarter, one teams up by sixteen, the fourth quarter, they it's like, what happened? That was all the time. Yeah, I don't know. I don't want to bash the NBA, but it's crust. That's one of the reasons.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a lot of different reasons why nobody's really watching the league. They'll watch for the playoffs, they don't watch during the regular season.
Speaker 5: But they had a they had a huge spike like three years ago, right in ratings the NBA.
Speaker 2: Who was winning? Who was the winning teams? Because that's if you figured, Yeah I figured through Boston won. But two years ago, right or last.
Speaker 3: It would have been Milwaukee and the Sun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you had the Sons then and then the year before was Golden State. No, Golden State hasn't been good as a well, I don't know about that. Oh yeah, so I don't know. I don't know what the right sauce is anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I just think fresh, fresh, teams. Yeah, probably more than anything.
Speaker 5: And you're getting a new I think you're getting you've got ant is going to be a superstar. He already is, right, So like there's gonna be a new batch of people wimby all those guys that you're gonna Lebron's gonna go away, Staff's gonna go away, but there's people to take that place. So there's always more. Yeah, yeah, you'd hope.
Speaker 3: So keeping a moving though. Freshman Khanka Nipple from Duke is going to be entering the draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's good. You can shoot it. You have a top six pack, right, Yeah, yeah, well he was one of those lottery guys. I think that I think he's six over, but I think pre draft he's six. It doesn't say an article. I need this information. If you're going to bring names up, we'll listen to the expert here. This is a shot.
Speaker 2: If you have I'm pretty sure if you have friends and you had a million dollars, wouldn't that be amazing?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Do you have to pick one or the other? I would pick friends. I've grew up poor. I'm fine. I don't care about friend. I'm fine.
Speaker 4: Another freshman entering the draft is gonna be Michigan's Danny Wolf.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Expected lottery all that says projected first round. Yeah, gosh, plus it, man, we gotta make some moves.
Speaker 3: In this.
Speaker 4: Another I don't know, kind of big news as well, not kind of. Arizona Tennis is getting ready for the Big twelve tournament on starting tomorrow, So that's gonna be another one to look out for. Other local news, the soccer team just release their schedule. The women's soccer team. Yes, that's it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just take a break. Care we'll get ahold of that. Matt Mulebach talk to a lot of about the things we've just talked about with the nil and things like that, being that he's an attorney.
Speaker 5: Thanks now.
Speaker 1: Your chance to win one thousand dollars in bonus box. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 5: Grand Grand, that's gram Enter it.
Speaker 1: Now Boxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort, Discover all this and more. Discover with soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 5: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yucky? Try?
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dream. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 5: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 8: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use. In the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more.
Speaker 5: Than fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Given we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: At Nova Homelans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine four two Equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrix syn credit rates and available loan programs or subjects change with don't notice? Did you know?
Speaker 9: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games, from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 5: Showtimecards has it all.
Speaker 9: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five to two oh seven to four to Zho twelve thirteen Brout, sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 11: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialists can't run or hide from Arizona pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 12: It's the foundation of everything, that defines the society.
Speaker 3: Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 12: Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the min rules of a process. That's whydlining is so.
Speaker 2: Important gobm dot com.
Speaker 8: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress.
Speaker 5: The Window Depot is here to help.
Speaker 8: At the Window Depot, we're your one soft warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 5: You'll find it all here.
Speaker 8: At the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Box Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why the Ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty m. S Rivera, your Blake eager, and we got one. We got Ray and now we have Matt Mulock former. You have a hoop star, turn basketball analyst, turn or still lawyer attorney. We're gonna use all your hats. They're Matt, I.
Speaker 6: Got, I gotta, I gotta wear all of them just to uh just to pay my mortgage.
Speaker 2: Man, well you probably have a nice mortgage in a nice house. Let me let me start whether by the things I sent you, uh Ja Billis was on I guess with coach k about about you know, players getting the money in n I L YadA YadA and the contract potential.
Speaker 5: Did you did you see it? Did you watch it? Yeah? I did, Yeah, I did see that.
Speaker 6: I've actually talked to him about that, you know before, and yeah, he's he's a big proponent or advocate I should say, of you know, just of players becoming employees. And you know, I think he feels like once they do that, you know, they can unionize and you know, collectively bargained and there will be those will those will by by itself, by its nature, create some of the boundaries that people are talking about. You know, I think, you know, I'm sure that the NC double A the schools probably don't want to do it because there could be you know, there could be some it could open the doors for some things, right, And but I also think, you know, one of the other things, they don't have to necessarily even become actual employees. I think, like if you if you think about some of the Hollywood groups out there, I think, like the SAG Actors one one of the SAG I think guilds or whatever has like you know, collectively bargains for things, and they're not actual employees.
Speaker 5: They have the sort of union to it.
Speaker 6: So I think there's a chance, you know, it could get there. We'll see. I just I just think what's amazing to me is how fast things have changed in this area. You know, in the last since COVID, right, you know, with the transfer portal and you're not having to sit out a year, and I mean those you just talk about the things that have happened, you know, just major, major things have changed the landscape, and you know, three or four of them in the last five years, and nothing that happened, you know, probably fifty years before that.
Speaker 2: Sure, let me ask you this, I would assume, I would assume the players, whether they like it or not would probably not do it because they haven't. They haven't made right now, at least by my naked eyes, in terms of not wanting to be an employee. You know what I'm saying, le's less restraints thinking you know, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't like it. Here, I'm gone, we lose them.
Speaker 6: I think some of some of the wild West parts of it, I'm not sure the players like right because things seem to be changing. There's you know, there's there's I'll take one area the players would probably do well with is making sure that the agents that represent them have some sort of certificate or you know, what's the word that it just that they that they had that there's some sort of regulation around it. And I know with with some players, you know, just because I think right now any anybody can be an agent for a player, and when you have that and there's no regulation around it, you know, you do have some areas where you know, people can take advantage of players, or things can happen that that are that are again it's just you know, may charge too much and that you know, if you had some regulation around that, you could probably like for example, if you're an NBA agent, which I was at one point. You know, there's there are limits on what you can charge, what you can actually charge the client.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was like three percent, and I was shocked to because it was only three percent.
Speaker 6: I think it's four at least when I was it was four. They may have reduced it now because the money so I it was I believe it was for when I did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, aren't you glad you're out of the business.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed the work, like representing the players. I didn't enjoy the It's just just the world of it is hard to keep up with, and it became much more than the representation. It was more about just like recruiting kids, you know, and that just wasn't my my Bailey Wick.
Speaker 5: So, Matt, they don't have to the agents now at the college level don't have to be certified with an agency.
Speaker 6: I don't think so. You guys might check on that, or you know, Google check me on that, but I'm pretty sure there's no regulation around that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think I kind of agree with Matt here on the unionized piece of it. And I think if you're in university it gives you a chance to maybe put in a salary cap to where you can kind of have more control from a financial standpoint, even from a competitive standpoint. But if I'm a player, I want the union side of it, you know, at least gives you the backing that you need at that age. Like we were just talking about, you're an eighteen year old, a millionaire, maybe a seventeen year old millionaire that you don't know how to handle your money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's well, whatever it is, I'm sure you know. I do believe even if even to some degree of some options for a player or the university or the n CUBA A, I do believe like some certainty would help, right, some just just so you kind of understand the landscape a little more. And uh so that's now it's changing again.
Speaker 2: I think the legislation, that's what passed, so we all know it was a new legislation, so we all knew it was a long time in coming that they'd get paid.
Speaker 5: Who would have ever imagined that they be getting paid at this level?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Name is so fast? So yeah, so fast?
Speaker 2: And this amount of money for you being a former player, are you happy?
Speaker 5: This is a dumb question, are you happy for it?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Should it be you know, not so much money. Is there a fine line?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, as a former player, I'm I'm yeah, I'm very happy that the players, you know, are able to two you know, to get paid for what they what they do. And I would want to, you know, and and I wish I was, you know, that would have been great. That would have been awesome. Again, I think the question that you're asking is, yeah, what is you know, is there is there something that's too much? I guess one of the considerations that I've you know, again, I've talked to Jay a little bit about this, and I have been a little concerned about the model. You know, what does does doing something like this hurt the college model? And and it certainly will change the model, and and you know, I don't know, you know, I've I've heard some people say that that it bothers them and so they're not as in tune. But then you see some of the network ratings and the football and basketball I think have been as high as as ever and so you know, it's you know, so it's it's it's hard for me to kind of see the future on that. I Like I said, I do worry because I've always loved the college model, the college model of you know people, it's it's more of a you know, you're connected to your school obviously, and connected to the the idea and the romantic side of like what used to be amateurism, of course has changed, but you know the idea that you know, would that change, would it create like a minor league system and people not watch as much? But again, the raidings have been have been pretty sky.
Speaker 2: High, right right, So let me let me hold this that you I had athick In I had. Uh, it'll come to me. Uh, your your teammate Harvey Mason a time, a time or two recently. Uh, So you're getting paid, let's say, just hypothetically one point five whatever as as a player, and your coach is getting paid you know, similar, maybe a little bit more or whatever.
Speaker 5: How do you how do you tell a coach?
Speaker 2: How do you tell a player you're the coach to play when this kid's making money and he he knows all the stuff he needs to know.
Speaker 6: I know, well, I mean I guess, I guess it's probably the one the one area of the age old area that that the coach has the control over is the playing time. And so you know, the benches. The bench is the great equalizer in that system. But you're right, I mean, think well and think of it. It's even further upside down in the NBA, where at least, I mean, coaches now are making more. But you know, in the last twenty years, there were times where coaches were making you know, twenty times less or you know, extremely, you know, significantly less than some of the players. And so you wonder, but you know, I think over time again, people adapt and evolve on it. And like I said, the coach can the coach can decide who to play. Now, does that still create some issues? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Probably could? I wondered too. Among players.
Speaker 6: That was the thing I always wondered, like, Okay, what what if I sign a deal and you know, player next to me signs one for for you know, twice the amount. But I'm playing more, I'm starting, and he's not. I mean, I guess maybe I need to get a new agent.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I've said this when this all thing broke maybe three four years ago, and and then and Jay and I were talking about I says, what if I'm the center, I'm the center and I make an X amount of my fifty thousand and sixty thousand dollars and I'm a right right guard, right tackle whatever, and the quarterback is making four or five times that quarterback needs being a block for him, you know, And how does this work?
Speaker 5: That's right? That's right.
Speaker 6: Well I was going to say, is that that's a little bit of the system in the NFL, right, I mean, that's that's why they buy those guys dinner and they buy him presents and everything at the end of the year because they make more back.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think you know, again, the market, the market kind of you know, you know, you hold the market kind of fixes itself. And if you don't, if you don't want to, if you want to make more and become the quarterback.
Speaker 5: Right yeah, No, it's holding a gun to your head to play right due yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So you know, and I think look, we all we all say that a little bit in anything real life and you know, work and things like that. We all, you know, you're sometimes joking for this or that, or you know, you think somebody in the company makes more than you or I you know, so that.
Speaker 5: I think those things happen.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 5: It is different though, when.
Speaker 6: It happens to an eighteen year old versus someone I mentioned work. You know a lot of times in those situations you're thirty or forty or even you know, fifty, and then so you've been through life a little bit more. And so yeah, it's it's an interesting thing to happen when when these kids are you know, when the kids are so young.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, Matt, thanks a bunch.
Speaker 2: I know you've got to get somewhere and do your stuff, So thanks a bunch for coming on us.
Speaker 6: It's it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Though, right, we'll see if it quickly gets corrected or if it can get corrected.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know to some people, Yeah, to some people, they think it's working right, and they think that it's just it's working itself out. And again I like I say, we're just gonna we're gonna see more changes.
Speaker 5: So right, Okay, thanks so much, man, appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Okay, see, hey, thanks guys.
Speaker 5: Okay, we'll stick around for a little while. We don't have to leave it early. What's wild? I mean, if you start thinking about it, and a college athlete at the football and basketball level, right, it's not going to be the other sports leaves after four years, arguably makes more money than the majority of Americans will make in their lives. Where's the where's the competitive nature inside that athlete to go out into the workforce now sure, and take a drastic pay cut to go do a job that's tedious and not something they probably want to do, right, Right, So, like you're talking about future implications at this point where you have guys like Ray and Wan that are busting their butts every single day trying to cut their teeth, and then you have a college athlete that gets done and this I mean I was college athlete, right, and I want I want athletes to get paid at the level because the school is making so much money and then CUAA is making so much money of them. But what does that do for future generations of guys that are no longer having to compete for playing time, right, and then getting out of college and we'll use a word well off, maybe to the point where they never really have if they manage their money well enough, might never have to work again to get into a workforce and compete with other people.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if this is to your point, but okay, so and you know all these people you may have been one. You played well in college you gotta yetta? When did and you played it in the pros? When did reality hit you? And I see this kind of ingest maybe earlier this week. I've known a lot of the former athletes. Yeah, yeah, some of them are jerks. Some of them aren't great guys because they're good athletes. You spot because you probably know exactly what I'm saying. And then and then maybe three four years out of the sport, right, they become one, they became ready to become Steve Rivera and they try to be normal people after being jerked for all rise because they've had good.
Speaker 5: I mean you're talking specifically personally for me or just in general.
Speaker 2: What you see because am I not paid an accurate picture?
Speaker 5: No? I mean I think to a degree you are. It just it also depends on how you're raised. And I mean we talked about this, you know, survival method of where you're coming from and how to get off that island and whatever that looks like, or if you're you know, not having to worry about any of that, and like what creates a competitive nature? And yeah, I can only speak to my own personal experiences. When I started working with youth, with young men, young women, like I mean they were they were eight to you know, no, no, no, you oh, I was twenty seven. Maybe the reality was I was seeing them take after things like taking my actions in an account and acting similar to me, or there was traits there, and I realized at that point that I had to be a better human being and a better a better mentor. I would put myself in that. Like I wanted to be a mentor. I wanted to help raise other people's children, which sounds kind of weird, but it gave me. That's what you were at tesked to do. Yeah, that's what I want to do, right. I don't have kids on my own. We won't need to get into that's a personal thing, whether that's an off air topic, but I do want to try to be a part of people's lives, right, Like, so taking that, seeing that and then being a part of their lives, whether it's going to their acchoir competition or accho acchoir concerts or band concerts, or just in general part of their lives.
Speaker 2: A twenty two year old, twenty three year old you twenty two years I think, listen.
Speaker 5: I it took a lot like BLUs my wife staying with me. As you know, it took a long time, the maturation process for me. It took a long time. And it does for a lot of athletes. And that's what I was gonna say. Your story is not dissimilar.
Speaker 2: No, it just for a lot of athletes because you know, once the once the applause is over, and I think I did the story maybe thirty years ago. Once the applause is over, they don't know what to do themselves because they've never had to not hear the applause.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think about it from my standpoint. I'm an only child too, so I want all the attention, Like I want to be one, like show me attention. When that went away, I was like, I got to figure this out. No, And it's it's.
Speaker 2: Tough for some people and some people can't handle it or whatever because they're not used to it. Imagine you have a ton of money or whatever, and your parents are a big influence you, like the kid from If it's true that the dad had some part of it in Tennessee, that's assumed, but he was one of those helicopter parents.
Speaker 5: Most parents nowadays. I mean, I shouldn't say most, But it's a vast it's a vast difference from when I was playing where I don't know about you, but my parents never got in. My parents would never have a conversation with a coach that's starting at like the little league level now, like they are so involved, and parents don't realize what you're doing, like when you give them that safety net. A young woman and a young man will never learn how to fail. If you can't learn how to fail, life so hard. And that's not me preaching, that's not honest truth. I totally agree. You need to get out of the way. You can have a conversation with the player, and he's a player, how to now have a conversation with a coach. That's a life skill they need to learn. But if you're constantly critiquing what that coach is doing, you're not honestly assessing what that player is doing on a regular basis. No, no, no, to your point, And I totally agree with that. And to your point, those who succeed at being on a team and taking criticism and taking constructive criticism will become better employees. Yeah, I'll tell you there, I'll tell you a story. We think it was spring training. One year we had our minor league coordinator was a guy named Guy Kanti. Right, Chillie Duncan knows him well a lot of I mean, who's been alone pro ball since for like eighty years. Right, he's maybe five to four, probably seventy eight at this point. Would just take a golf card around and we were doing this is my first spring training. We were doing first and third, so you had a runner on first, a runner on third, right, And this is the first time I ever had a pitching coach in my life. When I got to Pro Bowl. I mean, I had done some lessons, but I never in college. I never had a pitching coach. And so you have to you know, the runner leaves and you have to check the runner a third and then give the ball up right, and I would I we never worked on it, and I would just keep messing up. He pulled me aside in front of probably sixty guys and and maf me up and down, like yelling, screaming at me, and I just remember, like I've got to get this right, like not like, oh my god, I can't believe I'm gonna call my parent. I can't believe no I was like, this is my job, right. If I don't fix this, I don't have a career anymore. That thought process is different now, and you know he could have probably done in a different manner than that, but at the same time, just the direct connection to that is completely different. Well, it was a.
Speaker 2: Powerful powerful enough for you to remember this and to probably use that too down the road for other Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's leave and come back on the other side for our final segment.
Speaker 5: If you're an Arizona Man's.
Speaker 2: Basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's the Loved Coach. Lessons from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email media Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the Leading Edge an exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial lad available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu.
Speaker 5: Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus.
Speaker 5: All State Agency.
Speaker 2: These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Caampbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 9: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 13: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: Craving Tucson's best burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 5: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 15: We believe less is more. Let's pies mean more money in your pocket, Less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids A lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch oh at the two sound Spectrum Paymit Federal Card at Union where less is more generally insured of my nc UA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the apses and ohs. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports foteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, You're Blake. We got one, we got Ray. We have time for some calls, maybe take some calls. What's going on with whatever we're talking about?
Speaker 5: Tucson great place and the wonderful places to go that turn into complete crash shows, crazy crazy place. Yeah, but we're here and we love it. Yeah yeah, I mean I think it makes us who we are as we grow older.
Speaker 2: So now I got Richard, who's a caller every now and again, he texts me all the time. He wants in addition to college athletes getting paid, he wants good calls, good callers to get paid for who's paying.
Speaker 5: Who's paying?
Speaker 2: Then my not my sponsor? Is he going to go and get sponsors for that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Got to you by this call, brought to you by That would be legit.
Speaker 2: Though, if you could do that by x LAX where the stuff flows down hopefully, hopefully you're in a good position for that.
Speaker 4: So on the point of pay players getting paid, you know, you see it with like the other two major sports, with like basketball having the G League and then baseball with like the farming systems and stuff like that. Do you think like football should have a G league so it gives them, like like players a different option instead of college.
Speaker 5: I think that's what they're trying to do with XFL and USFL. Right, you've got Canada. I always said it with the football to me, is the only sport that I think the players should absolutely have guaranteed money. I'm always gonna say baseball players because the season is so long and the wear and tear on your body because it's it's baseball is more translatable to actual life, like you had to show up every day to work. But football, what you're putting your body through on a regular basis, like that should be guaranteed money. I do think there should be a farm system now, especially from an athlete, because they don't have a chance. Once you're done with college football. If you're not going to the NFL or Canada, what other I mean, you're the NFL Europe has done, Like what other league? There's no Europe the indoor leagues and you have the Yeah, that's true, Yes they're right, But I mean outside of the United States, there's no there's no options outside of Canada. Right with baseball, You've got baseball over the world. You've got basketball obviously is probably the best one. In soccer is the best one. So what's your question? Just like, should there be a minor league system or g League four? NFL? Remember, you have to pay these guys. Who's going to pay these guys?
Speaker 2: And it's the most it's a billion dollar industry. The NFL should step up and pay. Well, that's kind of what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, if they were funding NFL Europe, you know, I kind of fell through. I feel like, so why not just start it here, like as a as a lower level kind of thing.
Speaker 5: Splits for college for callers. Yeah, what a great idea. Yeah, this call brought to you by Shamrock. That would be you think he has to he has to get his own theme song every time they call, right right? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Uh well, I guess that's a good idea, but you already kind of have it. And who's coming up with this money to start these programs? You know, they had the USFL many years ago and it failed.
Speaker 5: They still have it. Uh yeah, I guess right, U l USFL. I don't think X is XFL still. I think they merged, did they? I look at the crowds. Have you seen the crowds? No crowd? No? But I don't want to watch football during the summer, right, I'm sorry that when I say baseball, that's just what I want to watch. Yeah, but I mean, ray, you also have to think from a minor league baseball standpoint, they didn't get in the Union until three years ago or four years ago. Nobody, Well, unless you're the banana bananas or what are thevana bana banana banana right right in on a banana boat. So it's banana banana banana boat. Well, so you're not minor leagues don't get that much. I mean, it's better now and you've got you've got a little bit more leverage. But they've they're coming out on a CBA next year for collective barking agreement that I mean, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you a dumb question. Are you glad your path took you the way it took you? And would you have got off the old baseball dream before earlier?
Speaker 5: What do you What do you mean? So you what age did you get out? Was the final year when I had my laborm surgery? That was oh nine, was the last week? I don't know, what's seventeen years ago? You had twenty seven?
Speaker 2: You're twenty seven, okay, So knowing what you know now, would you have gotten off the old baseball dream and gotten onto your real life earlier? I think I know the answer to this, and mine's nope, because come on, little boys dream bought stuff like this.
Speaker 5: Listen. I mean, I know people say this. I only ever wanted to be with the I mean big leaguer people would ask me from time I was two years old. Yeah, it's all I ever wanted to be. I love baseball. I still love baseball more than anything almost. Well, no, that's not true. I would get in big trouble. That's definitely not true. No, I listen, I didn't try to hold on. And that's a that's a scary part for athletes, right, you try to hold onto them. So the thing I was going to bring this up for all of you guys with this conversation is that I do think there should be a transitional phase, and some schools have it, some professional leagues have it from an athlete going to the professional world because it's a it's a it's a two to three year phase where if you could speed that up that and this is the takeaway, but athletes are good workers, right, They're hard workers. You have to be. If you could transition quicker, I believe the workforce would transpire and you create a little bit more leadership. I'm not saying that all athletes are leaders. That's not the case. But you see a lot, especially in baseball with independent ball, like guys hang on for so long sure that once they do have that transition phase into a workforce or to career path, they're there's still they're lost. There's still a ballplayer. And you don't want a guy that's chasing tail drinking every night and then waking up, you know, at two pm to do it all over again. Like and I'm not saying that was my path, but guys like that of corsually lived that lifestyle pretty aggressively, no question.
Speaker 2: Oh And like I said, they don't know the end game, and you don't know any better exactly because I don't know they've done it.
Speaker 5: I transitioned in coaching at the right time, Like I knew I was done. I didn't try to hold onto play and I went straight into.
Speaker 2: Car And I think you said, I'm not speaking of Turner. You can tell you and tell me if you had a good support system and it was a sheet.
Speaker 5: Your wife not at that time, No, she wasn't. I mean, yeah, it was pretty close, you know, yeah, pretty close to you. It's like an it was like a year, Yeah, a little bit of a year. Yeah, I had somebody that gave me a reality kick, and she could care less that I ever. I mean, I think one of my pickup lines was like, I I spend my winners in Hawaii because I played winter ball the year before in Hawaiian. She was like, okay, yeah, big deal. I was like, I'm a professional athlete. She's like, I don't I don't care at all, And I was like, okay, cool, Yeah, no, no, And that's kind of the reality you get because if you're a kid on me too. I wanted to be a pro bowl player, couldn't hit a curveball too thin and blah blah blah. But my other second gift thing was be a sportswriter. Yeah. I happened to do this my son, my son.
Speaker 2: Who was you know, you know when I was a lot younger and he was a lot younger.
Speaker 5: Dad. Don't you wish you would have been a doctor of ours? Hell no, I wanted to do this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I get to meet and travel all over the country, and doctors want to be me. I know that's being facetious, but yeah, because you know, you get to do things and you know there's nothing high pressure you don't make as much money. But you know what I'm saying, you're getting to live the life you want to live. I mean, one, I'm sure the same way, thinking the same thing, right, That's why you're doing this and hopingly you catch fire somehow and Ray.
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, but don't you think that. I mean, this isn't a short time that we've known each other at this level. But for me listening to you over the years, like you were you were made to do this, like this is your this was going to be your past at some point or another. You were so good at what you do and creating relationships and bringing people on and nurturing that and even your writing is phenomenal, Like you were made to do.
Speaker 2: That well, because I wanted to do this. Only once you have your sight set on something, yeah, and you you have nowhere else to go. This is what you try to do. I mean, this is what you have to do to make it.
Speaker 5: I mean I have this argument all the time, like what what would I do in life? Like I think about this, I'm like, I don't know how to do anything right?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: It's so pathetic, my wife, But you're a mechanic, but.
Speaker 2: You're not doing because but the thing is to at the end of the day, it's a you're a people person, yeah, and this world is a people person place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have to be.
Speaker 2: You could be whatever whatever you're going to as long as you know how to deal with people and treat them fairly.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's where you hit on right, fairly right, giving everybody the fair shake, making sure that you're not doing it alone, not trying to take one hundred percent of the credit, but you're bringing people along. I think that's a huge value.
Speaker 2: I could easily, let me tell you something, I could easily do this show by myself and be the Si rivera show blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: But that's not what I want. To have a good conversation, just like we're having. Now.
Speaker 2: Bring you guys on, make this two hours go faster. Take some calls, get their philosophies and things like that, because it's it's good to know. Yeah, the more knowledge you have from people's ideas, the better off you are. And I'm trying to wax, I'm not trying to ex poetic, but no, you should feel But I mean, listen, we've said this before and our callers are probably like I don't want to hear this anymore. And I should say, your callers, not mine my texts, tell me how bad I am anyway. Uh No, But like a point in my life that I absolutely needed this right, like the most chaotic nerve wracking, I mean stressful, like you brought me on and it was like like if I didn't have this, but it was cathartic. It was cathartic exactly. Okay, well you're gonna speak because I said, this is what you want to do. Now you're just hoping to catch fire somewhere exactly.
Speaker 16: And this is a perfect time because if anyone's out there listening, I am open for work.
Speaker 5: Yeah well, let's specify what kind of work, because earlier we were saying that you were bringing in girls anywhere plural whatever, whatever gets me the Fiji trying to hit that miracle mile. And but like you.
Speaker 3: Said, this is something I enjoy.
Speaker 16: I look forward truly, and I mean this, I'm not trying to kiss up to you. I look forward to my Mondays and Wednesdays I get to come on here conversation and then of course when I go report for easy doesn't swarm. I love sharing my the work that I do, and people I hope maybe they're not telling the truth, but people like seeing it.
Speaker 5: I do think it's weird that you make us all kiss your ring before we go on air. Oh the pause is terrible. You could have got anyway.
Speaker 2: What's my goal to You haven't been with a hot chick? I think we hear that probably ten We were just I were just talking about something serious.
Speaker 5: You're like, hot chicks already.
Speaker 16: Cut it on, right, Steve's hot chick is raised momentum?
Speaker 5: Yeah, one way or the other. You hear about ten times the show momentum.
Speaker 2: And I don't believe in either of them. We gotta go. Here's that time to go. Okay, Hey, Blake Is, We'll see you tomorrow, see me tomorrow night Shore.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have Kim Madaire, Ray Flores, two people that I would not be here without, and Justin Spears in the afternoon.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, Thanks everybody,