Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Munster High Ultimate, Spider Man, Naruto, Barbie, Dreamhouse Adventures, Stretch, Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, Red Dead, Redemption two Game, and more under his belt. You may not know his name, but for the last twenty five years, I think even more, Oji Banks the third has been the voice behind some of the world's greatest characters in cartoons, animated films, and video games. I know that was a quick list, but what did I forget? What did I forget?
Speaker 3: That was good?
Speaker 4: Muppet Babies, Muppet Baby, Yeah, Mupping Babies is one. And Avengers Avenge Lego Avengers is my new one.
Speaker 3: That's the new one.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you did a lot of things for Disney as well along the years, along the way with Disney XD as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, yes yes.
Speaker 2: How many characters do you think that if you've probably done over the past twenty five to thirty years.
Speaker 3: Wow, hundreds, hundreds.
Speaker 4: And here's here's the reason why too, Because when I'll get on a show and they'll hire me for one character, but when I'm on the show, I'm usually doing like four or five characters.
Speaker 3: On that one show. So it adds up pretty quickly. Give me an example.
Speaker 2: Are the wide and variation in the forest of four characters you may do on a given show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like on the show Goes for us, I play I play the kid.
Speaker 3: You know, I played a kid, you know like this.
Speaker 4: You know, guys, guys, you know I'm very you know, inquisitive and everything. But then I also play the dad. I play the father as well, you know, so I also play my father. So I have a lot of scenes where I talk to myself back and forth like a crazy person.
Speaker 2: Do you channel real people in your life? If you're going to do the father character, do you channel Ojibanks Usenka.
Speaker 4: I do a little, yes, I do. I do a little Yes. My father does come out just naturally.
Speaker 2: For those who don't know, Ogibanks and I grew up next store to each other. And I say next door, I mean house house, literally next door to each other. Yes, And we both moved into Harbor City in nineteen seventy five, within maybe three to four months of each other, and both our families had moved in. I think I was five years old when you were two two and a half years old, and we became instant friends, and he would usually have these great birthday parties, Yes, where you invite the kids from school or in the neighborhood and we have dance contests.
Speaker 3: How many times did I win? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yes, you would win and he would be No, he would always win the prize.
Speaker 3: I got moved. He would always win every year.
Speaker 2: Yes, So why did you stop having birthday parties at dance contests?
Speaker 4: Because it was the same thing every year. You just come in and take all the prizes dancing.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because.
Speaker 2: I don't think either of our parents or families would have any idea that you would end up doing what you are doing now and what I am doing now.
Speaker 3: I know your parents would listen.
Speaker 2: To KFI religiously, and I think one morning they heard me filling in for Bill Handle or something.
Speaker 3: He said, oh my mom my, mom my mom.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And I think my parents like saw your name in the credits one time on one of the Disney XD series and they'd say, oh my gosh, oh Gi.
Speaker 3: What is it.
Speaker 2: And the reason I bring that up is what does it mean to have that type of affirmation from parents and family.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's the best, It's the best because you know, they you can tell them I'm going to do this, but.
Speaker 3: They're like, what are you really going to do? When are you gonna go out and get a job.
Speaker 4: Yes, either, when am I going to see these results? So when the project actually comes out and we're able to watch it together and they're actually able to see me and hear me and look at my name on the credits come in, it's very fulfilling. It's like, see, I told you, I told you I was doing this.
Speaker 2: I remember when I came out of college and I started working in the music business. My parents were not really happy with that. It's like, hey, we spent all this money, we sent you to Georgetown University. Now you want to work in the music industry. You didn't need to go to school for that, and now you're out here just trying to you know, play record executives and and and spend some money. It's like, that's not what we expected of you. Because our generation. I remember we would play in his room and I think you had like the Lord's Prayer on your you know, father navy man.
Speaker 3: Crat oh No.
Speaker 2: I remember because because he was very he was very upright and circumspect as far as what he expected of you, and if I were going to be playing with you, I was not going to be a bad influence on you.
Speaker 3: And so I needed to learn the Lord's prayer as well. You know, it's not a problem, but.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's interesting how we can have these birds, I wouldn't say birds, but expectations placed upon us, and they propel us, and they also compel us to meet their standards.
Speaker 3: Because even to this day.
Speaker 2: When I open up the mic, I always want to be careful and conscious of that. I don't say anything that my mother, who's probably listening, would disapprove of. Yes, And I'm always conscious of that. It's like, would my mother be okay with that?
Speaker 3: Now? If you met my mother, you would know that she is as profane as anyone.
Speaker 2: So I have a lot of room to work with. But their approval has always meant something to me. How did you navigate that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: It was hard. My dad, like you said, he was the strict one. My mom was the one that was more.
Speaker 3: Like, go baby, you can do it, you can.
Speaker 4: Do it, and she drove me to my auditions and everything, and.
Speaker 3: It was a real struggle.
Speaker 4: But my dad is the one that taught me, you know, well, if you're gonna do this, you.
Speaker 3: Gotta do it. You got to take it seriously.
Speaker 4: This isn't something that you can just will and nelly and just you know, do whatever you have to like really be strong and take it serious. And so and that balance of the tough with the soft really helped because whenever I was down, my mom was there to bring me up, and if I was too up, my dad was there to be like, you know, don't get too a you know, there's more to come, There's there's tomorrow. So with that balance it really helped me. And that propelled me to, like, you know, when I did actually book something and had a project and was able to share it with them, that's why, you know, it brought me so much joy because of all that hard work of not only going to the auditions and going to the rehearsals and all that, but the family aspect of you know, some believing in you, some not. There's times when they both do and that you know, it's just that whole dynamic.
Speaker 3: How many times did you hear no before you finally had a yes? Oh hundreds and thousands before you had a yes? Oh yeah, thousands of times. Yeah before yes, yeah, how does that not break you in your spirit? Oh? It does, it does? Yeah, yeah, I've Yeah.
Speaker 4: At the beginning, I stopped several times, you know, I was like, this isn't gonna work. Oh, But then you try to find your way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, if you know, if I'm not doing well in this, let me try to tweak this here, or take more classes here to learn something, or maybe try something else, but still within the field. So I'm still learning. But the nose, you know, and you know you're taught that that's part of the game. That's part of it. It's a numbers game. But the numbers were so high on the nose. I was like, what kind of game is this? You know, this is not a game I like, you know. But once I got that first yes, the magic and the confidence and the Hollywood magic like kind of just came through me and it started coming together a little bit more.
Speaker 2: It's almost this is a crude analogy, but this is the only way I can explain it. No one thinks you're sexy until someone finds you sexy, and when someone tells you yes, and all of a sudden, people start looking at you was like, Ooh, what have I been missing out on? Or what is it that person has that I have not realized yet. It's very true as far as radio, it's like once you get on the year, then people want to hear more of you. Usually beginning on the air is a very difficult process.
Speaker 3: That first. Yes, do you remember what it was? Yes? Yes, yes, yes, great question. Yes.
Speaker 4: It was for a frozen pizza and it's.
Speaker 3: Not out today.
Speaker 4: It was a kid's frozen pizza and I played the puppy dog.
Speaker 3: Oh you weren't even a person.
Speaker 4: No, I was not even a person. I didn't I had. I said something like come and get that, get your pizza, and I said the name of the pizza. But that was about it. And uh yeah, and I was the puppy dog.
Speaker 3: For the commercial. Was commercial? I believe?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, so Payday? Yes it was, Yes, it was. It was. What was your first TV show that you booked? The first TV show? Wow? Good question. Oh it was pretty good at what I do? Whole Street High, Whole Street High?
Speaker 4: That remember that one that was back when Parker Can't Lose That TV show? I remember that that was our rival. It was Parker can't lose. In Whole Street High, we were up against Parker can't lose, and you remember Parker can't lose because they won.
Speaker 2: But also I remember my mom was so proud of you when you booked Newsies.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, that changed my life.
Speaker 3: What did you do with Newsies Newsy's I played Boots. I was.
Speaker 4: An actor dancer. I was an actor who danced. Well, that movie took to that took two years to make because we did a whole year of rehearsal and then a whole year of you know, actually you know, filming. But there was that was on the Universal lot. I remember, and I remember that the tram would come through, we would make we made special dances for the tram. We would make them special Newsies dances. We would We knew when the trams were coming and we were like, we were so enthrowed, like.
Speaker 3: We have to do something for them.
Speaker 4: So we all came up with, like Kenny Ortega, the directors like, why don't we come up with like a cool little dance room. So when they came through sometimes, you know, if we were on break, they'd be like, five, why didn't we do this dance?
Speaker 3: And everybody. It was so much fun. It was so much fun.
Speaker 4: And to be at the Universal back lot just to work work there and to be there every day, Uh, that was magical.
Speaker 3: That was just magical.
Speaker 4: And because you're working on a film there, but there's another film going on right next door over here, there's a TV show going on right over here. I snuck over to the set over here and met Bruce Willis. You know, I wasn't supposed to, but I just ran br Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: It's weird because as much as we enjoy working in this, we're fans, well, we enjoy being part of it, not necessarily the center of it.
Speaker 3: So OCHI, what was your before we go to break?
Speaker 2: What was Have you had that one role where you said yes, thank you I finally met because let me for example, for me just being in news and radio and talk. The first time I appeared on CNN for the National Feet and my friend saw me from coast to coast.
Speaker 3: And I wanted so long to just have that one moment. Didn't get paid for.
Speaker 2: It, but it was one of those things. It was the affirmation I need. It's like I might be able to do this. I'm long here and I'm gonna stay here. Did you have a similar.
Speaker 3: Moment, Yes, yes, I did.
Speaker 4: My My moment with that was, you know, it was really the my first Marvel gig, the first Marvel gig I did when I was a power man.
Speaker 3: You know how many Marvel gigs have.
Speaker 4: You had several several that that was pretty much the jump start.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that was that moment, were like, I'm here.
Speaker 4: That was, you know, because that was like my first like real superhero and it was like a series. I was on that and I'm on every like every episode.
Speaker 3: I was on every episode.
Speaker 4: I'm going there every week, and there were celebrities on the show, and I'm just like, and I'm part of the show.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: They would read and my part would come and I would forget to read because I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: I, oh, that's right, I'm part of the show too.
Speaker 4: Oh I need to wrangle myself in and be a part of the show.
Speaker 3: But that was the moment, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that I mean, and plus getting the athletes from the people that I work with too, you know, yes, from the family, but the people I work with too, knowing that I'm you're doing a good job.
Speaker 3: But that was that was the one that was the one.
Speaker 2: When we come back, let's get into Lego Marvel Avengers, the animated show in which you are starring as Captain America Sam Wilson himself. And that's against the backdrop of the Captain America four movie, which is coming out in February, which is not gonna.
Speaker 3: Hurt what you're doing. Yes, no, you got that right. So O.
Speaker 2: G Banks is joining us in studio right now as part of Later with Mo Kelly's Halloween Swell Ray. And also we want to say a special thanks to BJ's Restaurants for setting up our party with pizza, wings and salad for this party.
Speaker 3: Put your hands together for.
Speaker 2: BJSDJ More with Ogbanks, just a moment. Canf I Am six forty Live everywhere the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We're not done yet, caf I Am six forty Live everywhere the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: It's Halloween Later with Mo Kelly.
Speaker 2: My guest right now is og Banks the third and his latest project is Lego Marvel Avengers Mission Demolition, where he co stars as Captain America Sam Wilson himself. Before the break, we were talking about how you got started working with Marvel.
Speaker 3: What is it like working with Marvel? For Marvel?
Speaker 2: Because I look at it as from an outsider, from a fan. I enjoy their animated properties, I enjoy their live action properties. I'm a Marvel fan through and through. But we're looking for a company like that. Maybe difficult in the sense of usually sworn to secrecy. Their NBA's everywhere. You can't tell anything about anything. How is it navigating that space?
Speaker 3: Good question, it's a.
Speaker 4: It's it is a little difficult, but but it's fun difficult, Okay, if I can say, you're right, there is secrecy.
Speaker 3: You can't say anything.
Speaker 4: You can't say a word, and you you have all this going on. You're so excited, but there's nothing you can say. And working for them, it's like with Sam Wilson. I I got every piece of footage they send me all the all the footage everything Sam Wilson like and and mister Mackie, did you know, like you have to prepare you know.
Speaker 2: So it's like, so you are working in concert with the live action portion in large parts, so there's uniformity.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, they totally want that they totally want, they totally want that. It's still that essence of the character, because you know, the essence of the character, the coolness of the character, all that. So I had to study basically all his stuff, like the Falcon stuff, all the way till he did like you know, the Captain America thing, you know, so just and so that and and working for Marvel. You know, it's like, Okay, that's the that's the one. So you know, you prepare you you know, you're you're doing your homework.
Speaker 3: You're doing your homework.
Speaker 4: You're watching for hours and hours, practicing my voice, practicing my cool, doing my thing, and you're doing it to the point where you know there's nobody there to help you. The director's not there when you're practicing, you know. So you're doing that all all on your own. And it's not like I have the script yet, So I'm still just getting the essence of the character, just getting in the mood, just really feeling them out, so that by the time that it comes to where the script is presented to me and I am in front of everybody, I am prepared in the mood the you know how he's going to be. So whatever they bring to me or whatever they have for me. I'm able to just slip right in and be that character.
Speaker 2: Marvel is an iconic brand, Lego is an iconic brand, and since the original Lego movie, high expectations are placed on their properties as well. Are you ever concerned about trying to meet those expectations?
Speaker 3: Yes, I am, Yes, I am. And that's why.
Speaker 4: It's that's why when I when I'm working, I'm in the booth, I will sweat so much because I am so worried and I'm like, did.
Speaker 3: I say the correctly? Did I say it correctly? Did that type of minutiation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Because I'm an actor, so I get crazy in my head, you know, especially when you're in the booth, because you can say a line, you can say, hey, are we gonna go there? And then you don't hear anything because they're in another room, you know, with the engineer.
Speaker 3: Do you you don't have a scene partner or anything?
Speaker 4: Sometimes you do, sometimes you do, but sometimes you don't. And when you don't, you're there on your own and you and even if you do have a partner, both of you are there on your own, and you're too neurotic.
Speaker 3: Actors and you're like, did we do a good job or not because we.
Speaker 4: Didn't hear anything back. And then finally they'll say great job after five vents. But within that five ins we're.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, how many takes might you do on a given seed that's not not going perfectly?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's not going Oh I can say a line twenty times sometimes just one line. I can say one line twenty times sometimes if if that's how they are, if you are not getting it, if you're not in the right part of the scene, if you the tone of your voice or anything, if they're not feeling it, they're not getting it. And I'm like, wow, this is one line, and I'm saying it again and again and again, and even I have to like, who were you taking? Take the notes? Take the notes? You know they might change a little bit here and there. But yeah, I can sometimes it'll be twenty times.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: We started with the secrecy my word of Marvel. The reason I asked that is you may not have a scene partner. Are you getting your sides in other words, your lines for the complete episode.
Speaker 3: Or only what you're slither of what you need? Oh sliver what you need?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good question, and I'm lucky that I get the whole episode, they get the context. Yes, yes, yes, I understand everything that's going on. And and also the director they're there, so like, even if I didn't quite understand anything, they fill me in with all the juices and berries and all the good stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, well, take us to this orchard. Tell us about Lego Marble Avengers mission demolition.
Speaker 4: Oh, well it is, Well, it's it's a you know, it's a continuation of the Lego Avengers.
Speaker 3: They they've been doing it for a while.
Speaker 4: And of course you have all your famous the thor the Iron Man, all these people. And in this particular episode there's.
Speaker 3: A new bad guy in here. And with the new bad guy.
Speaker 4: Comes the Avengers coming in again, and I am included. Sam Wilson is included this time with the Avengers. In the past they didn't have Sam Wilson, but on this one they do have Sam Wilson, and going forward they should have Sam Wilson hopefully.
Speaker 3: But with Sam Wilson, Sam Wilson and the Avengers.
Speaker 4: It's about really, the episode is about being yourself.
Speaker 3: That's what the whole episode is. It's about being yourself through all this chaos.
Speaker 4: And everything that's going on with the Avengers and the bad guy and everything. The moral of the story throughout, it's not just at the end you figure it out, but throughout it's about just being yourself, taking the time to know yourself and be yourself.
Speaker 3: That's what I could say. The episode is about that. That's what I got from it.
Speaker 2: Well, Ogbanks, I appreciate the friend that you've been. I think if he's your brother, because we literally grew up together our bedrooms from maybe i'll say fifty feet away from each other. How can people follow you on social media? You're very big on social media? How can people join?
Speaker 3: Answer? Yes, it's my name. It's so easy.
Speaker 4: It's just my name, Og Banks, og I e b a n ks.
Speaker 3: You can commercial Facebook all that like and subscribe Ogi e beks. Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Well when I say my brother and my friend, I mean absolutely that. Obviously I've said it because of about other people that I said in regard to you. Your success is our success. I love you, I appreciate you, and I salute you. And let's be sure to do this again in the future.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you so much for having me on your show. My man, I so appreciate you, O G.
Speaker 3: Banks. It's Later with Moe Kelly.
Speaker 2: We would have their original cast back up here in just a moment, can if I am six forty. We are live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. In fact, Stephan, you need to bring your ass up here. You've been hiding in the back too long. Let the people see you. We're gonna hear from Stephan when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And as we continue on with this great, great, great gathering what I would call or friends, I feel like you're friends.
Speaker 3: I've known you for ever. And that's the beauty of radio.
Speaker 2: There's this level of what we call intimacy where you get to know someone a little bit more than just reading a teleprompter on a screen. I think you know more about me than I share with just any random person. It's a strange relationship because I'll tell you about growing up, my next door neighbors, or the things that I would do as a child, or when I was trick or treating, and those are conversations you just don't have with anyone, and you find, especially in radio, you will get to know, and it's a relationship that goes back and forth.
Speaker 3: I learn more about you and you learn more about me as well.
Speaker 2: And with that in mind, Stephen who not only is the technical director for the Tim Conway Junior Show, but is also our technical director.
Speaker 3: He wears the literal.
Speaker 2: Definition of many hats, and he is not someone that you're often going to see in public on a microphone.
Speaker 3: So, like Mark Runner, this is a special occasion.
Speaker 2: You may not ever see this again, right, Yeah, exactly, so, Stephan, I don't even know your full radio story. Like I've talked to Mark Runner who's back with us, and he's told us some of his story, but your story as far as how you found your way into radio.
Speaker 6: I essentially just started listening to podcasts for from about two thousand and five two thousand and six, fell in love with it, started applying to different local podcast companies. I got hireds a intern, then quickly a producer, then quickly a program director. Then it all fell apart and then had to start all over again, and then got into almost actually a competitor series XM, but it didn't work out because the pandemic happened, So then I had to wait around. I kept applying, like they were saying before, get used to knows, get used to failures and.
Speaker 3: All that, because it took a lot.
Speaker 6: And one day I get an email that I legitimately thought was bam asking me to come on as a technical director board op for KFI. Replied, because you never know, and that ended up being the beginning of my journey here at KFI.
Speaker 2: I gotta ask, Yeah, you can go ahead, applaud that absolutely. I gotta ask because some of us are in radio intentionally and some of us are biding our time in radio because they want to do other things. I get the sense, now that I've worked with you a couple of years, that you love radio.
Speaker 3: I really do. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean that's kind of what because from well my generation, it started with podcasting, but I listened to talk radio even before that, and I always loved it, and I always loved the like I said, theater of radio just how we have to listen to it, but you have to have descriptions of it. And you know, working with people like Mo and Tim, it's been great because they put on such a fantastic show and they give you the it's like you're in the room so that's what I really appreciate about it, what.
Speaker 2: I appreciate most about Step And I know Toiwala knows this to be true because we've talked about it in a number of times. When we first started working together, it took us a minute to get a rhythm, so we can get a feel for each other. And I was telling you as far as if I make a music reference, don't wait for me, just go ahead and play it. Because if I say, you know, any song, like a disco song or something, and the audience doesn't readily recognize it, they want to know exactly what song I'm talking about, So just.
Speaker 3: Go ahead and play it.
Speaker 2: And he was so good at that, finding the music and immediately playing it. He was one of the few people who understood me just immediately, and that helped the show grow. If I make some obscure reference to something, I don't need to even tell him. If I make reference to an old commercial pepto bismol or something, he will go find it. And it made the show all that much better. And then when you had someone like Mark Ronner who had his own library of obscure references, he knew to do that as well, and so it made the whole show so much better. And he's another individual. If you like anything about this show, it has a lot to do with this guy right here, and.
Speaker 3: He deserves his flowers. He absolutely deserves his flowers. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Now we have to work out something that's gonna get uncomfortable. If you listen to the show, you know that Mark and I are going back and forth. We're battling for rim shots to see who is funnier. He is the keeper of the rim shot. He gets to decide whether something is funny or not. Now we both try to work the ref and try to cajole him and coerce him into giving us a rib shot, but he's the only one who gets to decide if he laughs, and we can see each other by video monitor. If he laughs, that means we're supposed to get a rim shot. Now you get to say who is funnier between Mark and me, and if you get it wrong.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be a misunderstanding.
Speaker 5: I want a forensic audit of his bank account because I think he's in your pocket.
Speaker 3: As long as he comes up with the right answer, I don't care where he is. Yeah, No, Mo is always the funniest much. Good night, can if I am nice knowing everybody?
Speaker 2: Now, when did you feel comfortable enough Stefan? Because I said, don't wait for me, just go ahead and trust your gut.
Speaker 3: How long did that take you?
Speaker 6: I can still actually recall the night that I that I felt like we connected was when we talked about something had to do with ice Cube and Tucker Carlson, and we were talking about how, uh you know, ice Cube can't pretend that he's this and they also be tending in this side. And as you finished your sentence, I don't know if you remember it, I started just bringing up uh nwa ice Cube's lyric and you guys lost your mind when we went to the break, And after that, I was like, I know.
Speaker 2: What to do, yeah, because I don't have time to talk about it on air, then find it on the computer, then play it, and also stay in the thought of the moment. So he has to be my third arm, if you will, and keep the show moving. And I know it's even more difficult because, as I said, Mark will have his own references, and you know, with your skill you manage to be able to pull up any of our references within a reasonable amount of time. Like I may say, you know the Gloria Gainer song I Will Survive or what have you, and I will start just spitballing and sort of just just sort of vamping until you find the song. But we have these recurring jokes, and it's a lot of times because he is so good at being able to find material in a short amount of time. You may not know that, but that's part of the behind the scenes in terms of the magic. And there are times that I'll go back and listen to the podcast and I will laugh out loud because he will have done something that I didn't hear in the course of doing the show live. It's a very different show when you're listening to it as opposed to actually doing it. And when he makes me laugh out loud, I know that he's adding something to the show. This guy never makes me laugh, but this guy always makes me laugh because when he laughs, it's.
Speaker 3: Genuine there we go ripshot and everything.
Speaker 2: When Stephen actually laughs, you know, okay, he's not laughing for effect, he's not laughing to please anyone. He's laughing because it's genuinely funny and the hardest part of radio. And I don't know if if anyone really understands, it's the hardest part of radios. You're in this box, and you get to see the box when we do the tour of the studios after the show. You're talking pretty much to a wall, and the wall doesn't talk back to you.
Speaker 3: The wall doesn't give you any feedback.
Speaker 2: The wall doesn't laugh, the wall doesn't say and that was kind of funny on the wall doesn't say that really sucked. You just have to look for any type of feedback which is available, and he'll give it to us. He's not funny, he's just not paying attention. He's just off in his own world. You realize, Okay, that's not working, let's move on. But he is someone that helps the show grow from night tonight tonight.
Speaker 5: I feel like earlier you were building up to sing in the diarrhea song, and I kind of want to hear that diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, you're welcome. Now.
Speaker 5: Fush is fast on the YouTube trigger, and you can tell how fast he is by the way we screw it up when we try it. Like I tried to hit a needle scratching across a record effect last week, and of course it went Haywire, and we made a joke about that because we're so inept with the technical stuff. But Fush is an expert at that. He's a savant at that.
Speaker 2: So when we say he's the technical director, we mean that when we're trying to get in and out of breaks, when we're coming back from break, he's the one who's playing the bumper. He's the one who is playing any type of the media that you hear during the show. There are the times that I'll play audio and you'll hear me mess it up, like, oh, and I blame it on the computer. No, it's actually me because I'm I'm an idiot when it comes to that stuff. True, I'll mess it up. All I'm hidden is the space bar. There's really nothing to mess up. So if it doesn't play, it is my fault. That's our secret. Don't tell anyone else. But the show when it's at its best is because Stephan is dialed in and and true story, I refuse to call you Stuffush because that's what Tim Conway Junior calls you.
Speaker 3: That's your love story between you and him.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're Stephan to me because what you do for me is different from what you do for Tim Conway Jr.
Speaker 3: No disrespect, but I always try to keep that separate.
Speaker 2: But what Stephan does is he I think what works best is to Wallace sense of humor is very similar to my sense of humor, which is very similar to his sense of humor, and very similar to Mark sense of humor. So we kind of know where a joke or a bit is going to go and something else. When we're doing humor, there is a science to it. We can't all try to be funny at the same time. So if there's a time where Mark, I know, is really hitting it and he has a lot of joke coming one after the other, day after the other, I know I have to play the straight man because when everyone's trying to be funny, that means nobody's gonna be funny. So there are times where I'm running the jokes and then Mark will be the straight man and vice versa. And that's how the magic works behind the scenes. And if I can get someone like you to laugh, and I'll hear from you through an Instagram message or a Facebook message, or if we should be talking on the phone, or name that movie called classic, like we'll do at the end of the week. That means everything to me because to believe, to know that you've brought some sort of affirmative joy in someone's life to make them laugh out loud, not only is that almost impossible to do in today's world, it is a wonderful feeling to know. So when I know that he is laughing, or you're laughing, or if I'm laughing, even on listening to the podcast, I know that we're doing something just a little right and seeing you all here tonight is the feedback that we all want and love. So once again, thank you for coming out tonight. We have one more segment here on Later with mo Kelly for this Halloween swore a special caf I AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: I AM six forty is Later with mo Kelly Halloween Special.
Speaker 2: We're live everywhere the iHeartRadio app and joining me right now, and it's.
Speaker 3: Only appropriate that we're joined by the.
Speaker 2: One, the only, George Norrie of Coast to Coast. Am George, how you doing, sir.
Speaker 3: Georgia? There?
Speaker 2: Yeah, technical difficulties that's what happens with live radio. I cannot hear George George going once yes, someone might have abducted George.
Speaker 3: Well we tried, we tried.
Speaker 2: Before we get out of here, I do want to say once again, we want to spend a Senday special. Thanks to Bjay's Restaurants for setting our party up with pizza, wings and salad for the Halloween soare hope you enjoyed.
Speaker 3: That, And of course.
Speaker 2: Ron Ross with Wendy's for the great food and the spread this evening. And also to Walla Sharp, where did you go? Did he leave already? Okay, he's around here somewhere. We'll get tawallap here to give his final thoughts. Mark your final thoughts on this evening in this.
Speaker 5: Show too, I think George bailed on us because he heard the show.
Speaker 2: Probably probably see see how he treats me. It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 5: We didn't want tonight to be any different than a normal night.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: This is this is how we rib each other every single day on the air.
Speaker 3: Off the air, we.
Speaker 5: Actually have conversations about, Oh Jesus, what's Georgia gonna think of the craft we've been talking about, right, now he wants no part of this, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if the show gets a little too risky, then we know to leave George out of it, because.
Speaker 5: George scold's callers when they say something innocuous like crap on there, he'll just stop the car.
Speaker 3: He will, he will.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've heard him say, hey, watch that language, yes, like crap you know.
Speaker 2: And and we eat a little blue with our language. Every now and then we like to push the envelope. We try to get right up to the line.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll let a mother father know, you know, every once in a while sometimes we go almost read almost almost And I know my program director Robin Berta Lucci want to thank her.
Speaker 3: She will sit me down and saying, no, you can't. You can't use that language. So why I'm not saying the words that you have? But other people know what you mean, and you know, if they're not only really paying attention, they think you actually said the word.
Speaker 2: And then I get the email and I get the complaints, and then I got to come back to you, and I just want to.
Speaker 3: Avoid all that. Okay, Well, let that mother father know that is I'm not going to change. Get over them. Da the kissed my ass. I'm sorry, as we were.
Speaker 2: Saying, and I wanted to make sure that you, Tula, got your flowers as well, because we talked about.
Speaker 3: This many many, many many years ago when.
Speaker 2: Twala Sharp first came to KFI, I had been here not much longer before him, and I said, Tula, I'm trying to do this new thing, talk radio. Make it sound a little bit different. It's going to be different because we came from a music environment. I was working with the great music labels and he was working in commercial radio and where I came from. They said, you can't have music on talk radio, true story, right. They did not want to have music outside of bumpers. You wouldn't have music conversations, You wouldn't feature music as part of the show, either in topic of discussion or in the background. And I said, no, that doesn't have to be like that. There's a space in place for that. There's a way that you can have different conversations where we're not just mad about everything all day long, every single day.
Speaker 3: That doesn't have to be talk radio.
Speaker 2: And I was talking about that what Twala said, there's an opportunity for us to change the way talk radio sounds. This right, now this today is the embodiment of that, where there's something just a little bit more joyful, a little bit less angry, a little bit more inclusive, and where you get to hear different voices and I mean different voices, color, texture, huge viewpoints, all of those things, because I think everyone has something worthy to add to the conversation. And it's not like we're gonna leave here and we're gonna agree on everything. Okay, I oftentimes don't agree with myself the things that I believe. Last week new information, I may feel differently about it, and it's okay because that's how we all grow together. And Tuala has been very much a part of this every step of the way, and there have been obstacles every step of the way. People say, you know my glory, but you don't know the story. You know, this has been a long time coming to get to this point, and you need to have someone who's with you in your corner, who beyond you, will fight with you, not just fight for you, but fight with you. So brother, I wanted to thank you for fighting with me each step of the way.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: I wholeheartedly appreciate that, and that right there is what had me come over because my background was in urban music radio. And when he asked me to come over to KFI, I was like, no, like I cannot come to CAFI. And I remember he got the same comments that this is a career in her you go to talk radio, this, that and the other.
Speaker 3: You'll never come back to music. You're ending your career. What are you doing?
Speaker 7: That's that's where people go to dying radio. And mostly she said, no, Tea, if we do this right, we can do something special. We can change the landscape, we can change the nature of the conversation and feature and do things on radio that have never been done before. And when he said it, he was so sincere, so passionate about it. I said, man, let's go. And this by far has been the greatest journey in my now going on close to thirty year radio career, where I'm just like, every single day this is a joy. We have fought long and hard to get to the point where we can have a Monday through Friday show and every Saturday we would come on when we just had Saturdays, we would treat Saturdays like it was Monday through Friday. We would prepare all week for one night of a week just to say we have to show and prove. That was our demo, that was our chance. And when they gave us this, we were all ready to go late night television.
Speaker 3: On the radio. YEP.
Speaker 7: That's what we envision and that's what we try to bring to the airwaves every day.
Speaker 3: So really it's always.
Speaker 7: My pleasure to have been invited on this journey and to be able to share these moments with you all. Thank you all for coming out tonight. This is literally a dream come true.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna keep the dream alive the first annual Later with Moe Kelly Halloween sore. So I guess that means we're gonna see you next year, right around this time.
Speaker 3: Right again.
Speaker 2: Before we get out of here, we gotta say thank you to BJ's Restaurants for setting our party up with pizza, wings and salad for this Sarra, thank you to Wendy's and more, and thank you to you. Now let's go to the after party, not the p Diddy party. After party. AM okay, you're leaving now, KM I am six forty.
Speaker 3: We are alive everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty