Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep the Friday vibes rolling along here the four o'clock hour as mentioned on a Friday. Right here, Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Sign up if you have not yet to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshment Awards program, because you're gonna save money at the pump, and you're gonna save money when you purchase items on the Frequency Club that are a part of the Frequency Club, I should say, and what I mean by that is the Frequency Club. There's certain items that they have on this long list, and again, if it's on the list, it's in the club. And the Frequency Club is that if you buy it so frequently, you get one free, hence the name Frequency Club. Very creative, clever stuff. I wouldn't expect anything different from the fine folks at Thornton's. But just to give you an example of some things that are on the Frequency Club, I mean, right now, you got buy six of the Celsius Energy drinks, you get the seventh free buy six Red Bull energy drinks, you get the seven to one free. And where that really pays off is that Let's say you stop in every day, and I mean I do, but you guys know I'm a Thornton's man. Maybe you're not a Thornton's woman or gal. You're only stopping in a couple times a week when you got to get gas. Well, sure enough, you know, a couple weeks go by, a few weeks go by. You know when you go there, you make sure you go in, you get your Red Bull or your Celsius or your rock Star because you know you need your energy drink. And then boom, you put in your phone number at the checkout or you scan the card. Oh it's free on the house. Again, you don't get that unless you're a member of the Refreshing Awards program. So many reasons to join. They hook up a lot of their fine customers throughout the year. I mean they've given away ten thousand dollars weekly during the hollow season. That's right. Last year November December, they gave away each week a ten thousand dollars and then the grand prize at the end of the year was twenty five grand a couple summers ago, they gave away free fuel for an entire year to over two hundred people. So again, if I haven't sold g yet that you should be a member, I just need to hang it up. I just need to. I mean, I I've failed if I've not been able to convince you by now to sign up. But I'm just gonna choose to believe it's not me and my failure. It's you as a flawed human. That's the way I see it. That's my thoughts, not Thornton's. So anyways, we'll get this thing back on track here. So, speaking of hanging it up, that's been a big talking point. Should Tua Tugohaloa call it a career after last night suffering a concussion? And nobody, I mean most people like myself yapping in front of a microphone on a platform like this, have no ability to truly give insight an analysis on something like this. And be shocked if even those that are doctors that have a history in treating athletes that suffer head injuries, concussions, those kind of things, even if they are the quote unquote experts of this, I don't think there's like an exact like Okay, here we go, we check the numbers, we crunched the data. Yeah, he's good to go. But if he gets two more concussions in the next eighteen months, then he's got it. Like I don't, I mean, I think not to say everybody's guessing. Clearly, there's a lot of data and science that can help you come to these conclusions. But it's still a risk man, because he could go out there and play for five six more years and never get a concussion. He's never knowing that's gonna happen. But you also don't know that if he suffers another one or two more in the next five six years, what that could do to him long term. It's a very unique situation when it comes to sports. I mean, guys get injured, right, but football, American football specifically, it's not a baby. But in the grand scheme of things, like when it comes to like society, I think we're still learning the effects of what playing football at that level can do to someone when they get older. We've seen, like we know CTE is the thing. We know there are guys who are in very very poor health, rather it be upstairs mentally or just their bodies in general, because of the violent sport that they played and where it gets. And I don't hear this mentioned a whole lot. Maybe it is mentioned a lot elsewhere. I just don't consume that content or I don't hear it or read about it. But these guys have never been bigger than they are right now. They've never been faster than they are right now. I mean, when you get a hit in an NFL game, I feel like it's worse than getting in a car wreck. With the way they make vehicles so safe now, Like I feel like, you you know, I don't mean to make light of it. I'm not trying to make a joke, but like I feel like I would rather, you know, be in a seat belt and have a car hit me in the side than be tackled in a football game by an NFL life. I mean, what do I know. Maybe a doctor's saying, God, this guy's a real dumb ass. He's gonna get himself killed if that's the way he've used it, and maybe the doctor would be right, But I'm just saying, like football is a violent sport, always has been, and these guys had never been more physically built. I mean, it's it's just scary man, bigger, stronger, faster. Every year the NFL takes a step forward in that department. And I do think the NFL has done a really good job of just doing whatever they can to one let the public know they care about player safety and to continuously try to learn and develop new ways to keep players safe as safe as possible, and I you know, that's all you can do. But with all that said, it's always going to be a violent sport unless you don't let them tackle, unless you want to put the flags on them, It's always going to be a violent sport where somebody could, realistically good, somebody could die on any given play. That sounds so dramatic and over the top, but think about it. I mean, that's not that's that's not that crazy. It doesn't happened, and it you know, it would be a real rarity. But again, just think about the collisions that you see. So with Tua now having you know, as many concussions as he's had, like it's a real thing for people to be floating out there like maybe we've seen him play his last game. I mean, I'm trying to pull up the exact breakdown of like you know, his injuries because he had was it two or three concussions? Trying to pull it up here because it is important to cut Yeah, here's his concussion history. So Thursday night it was his third registered concussion. There was some speculation that he had had a fourth, but apparently another injury that he'd had previously was not ruled a concussion. So he went last year twenty twenty three, the entire season where he was very good for Mike McDaniel, and that led to him having a real kind of resurgence. Maybe that's not the right way to describe it, because he's a young guy, but early on and it's time there in Miami, it didn't look great for him. You know, obviously we know that he did not have a great relationship with his former head coach, and he threw that guy under the bus. And I would have done the same thing, I think if what Tuas said was true as far as just that coach just not really being one that tried to build him up and help him, and Mike McDaniel doing the opposite and really helping him. And clearly it worked because toa was great last year. I don't I mean, I'm sure you'll find some that criticized the deal that the Dolphins gave him. But once he played a full year last year without these kind of an injury, without these kind of injuries, it's not to say that people assumed he'd never have another injury again, but like you know, kind of out of sight, out of mind, and then now here you go. It just takes one hit to where he leaves the game. You can tell that he's concussed, and now here we are again. Like again, there's there's there's legitimate concern that like maybe he should not play anymore. So Mike McDaniel, let's see here. Yeah, Mike McDaniel did say that Tua was checked by an independent neurologist and was out of the NFL's concussion protocol following the last time that he had gotten he'd gotten banged up. So that was not last night, that was the last time he had some kind of an injury. So I mean, it's it's scary. It's a scary thing, no doubt, and nobody knows like what he's gonna do. He doesn't know what he's gonna do. But Mike McDaniel, who I really like, by the way, I'm not sure how good of a coach he is. I did. I don't have the stat in front of me, but I did see it. I did here. I think it might have been it might have been one of the national shows discussing like Mike McDaniel has a really bad record against teams with a winning record, But I like, I mean to me, I just think he's a pretty likable coach overall. But he was asked last night, which he knew he was going to be asked, I'm sure, but he was asked last night on whether Tua Tugabalowa should retire. And this is about two minutes, so it's a little lengthy as far as clips that that we typically play on this show. But I I love this guy, meaning McDaniel, and I don't think he could have answered this any better and handled it any better given the circumstance. I think.
Speaker 3: It would be so so wrong of me two to even sniff that subject. And and it's more in line of actually caring about the human being. And you know, that's something that that entirely you're talking about his career, right, His career is his, you know, and that's something that I think I just really really really wish I totally understand it, and it's not misplaced. I totally get how that's where people want to go to. I just wish that people would for seconds hear what I'm saying that bringing up his future is not the best interest of him. So you know, I'm gonna plead with everybody that you know that does genuinely care that that should be the last thing on your mind because you don't like, what do you think that's if? If if I would answer that question, I'd be like, all right, this is this is my thoughts on his career. If he read it, if he felt if he agreed with it, or he disagreed with it. Either way, I've just made him worse. So I'm not taking this opportunity to just not you know, I don't think it's appropriate simply because of my care and regard and I don't think those types of conversations when we were talking about somebody's somebody's career, I think it probably is only fair that their career should be decided by them. You know.
Speaker 2: So I hadn't mentioned this yet, but by the way that sound you heard there, there was a zoom press conference. So the s I d's gotta gotta silence that feature. So like somebody if you're doing a zoom press or somebody's gotta you gotta like push a button or like I don't know if you can, like I think you raise your hand or something within a zoom or a team's call. Not literally raise your hand, but like there's a button that you hit and it tells you, Okay, this person's on the call, they have a next question. That was why that sound came in. But nonetheless, I don't I don't want to say, I don't need I don't know. It's uncomfortable. I don't know the right word to use. But DeMar Hamlin, the guy who died on a football field two years ago and you know, came back to life, him being the guy that hit to a That's crazy, is it not weird? It's eerie. I mean, that's eerie. I wonder how he feels. He you know, he was you know, I I think you could tell body language from him. He was, he was pretty. He didn't do anything dirty, but he realized that he like you know, everybody in the league knows too his situation, and you know, he's somebody who knows firsthand how scary it can be to to have your livelihood, your life potentially being you know, with him. I don't think it's crazy to say his life was in jeopardy. He was dead. I mean, that's what happened. But you know, I among many other players in the NFL, including those that played in the game last night, all sharing you know, well, wishes for Tua tomorrow. Hamlin was one of them. But man, I I'm trying not to make any kind of light of the situation, but are you kidding me? Tomorrow Hamlin being the guy that wasn't on the other end of the collision here, Like that's crazy. So look, if I was to you know, and I was in my early twenties and at this point in my life, I would hope that I don't know if Tua has children, if he's married, Like, even if he does it as a young adult, his life has probably been football since he can remember. So you know, there's that weird there's that weird thing that athletes go through, especially those in college that don't get a chance to play professionally. Like, you haven't emptiness in you you have really unless you're just driven and you know why you're playing the game. What you're going to do post life after your playing career ends, and some people do and then they kind of lose their way. Like if you have given your whole life, like every bit of time and energy and effort into your career as an athlete, and it's led to you having the opportunity to play high level in college even maybe briefly in the NFL, Like once you realize that that part of your life is over and you got to find something else. That can be difficult for people. In fact, there's not enough attention on that, Like it's a mental health thing for these athletes who when it's over, they don't even know they don't they feel like they don't have a purpose because that's all they've ever done. So like if you're too a and again, I'm just trying to put myself in issues, which is impossible to do, but I'll give it a shot anyway. If I was told by a doctor, hey, you have had a lot of concussions, and I can't sit here and tell you that you're not cleared to play because we have no clip if you'll ever have a concussion or not. We know football is dangerous, but you played the whole season last year at the same position, quarterback, and you didn't have a concussion. So it's up to you. You can risk it. It's a risk. Everybody knows that, but like it's your call. I feel like if I was him, I would say, well, I don't even know what else I would do in my life, So I'm going to play football. That's all I know. And I'm going to choose to just believe that I'll be safe because this is my safe place being a football player. That sounds so stupid and small minded and just like tunnel vision. But like, and I don't know too well. I mean I don't know to it all, but like I don't know his situation. Like I feel like if I was if I had children, and like I at least had given some thought about life after playing, because I knew it, you know, I just had that maturity. Like maybe it'd be a different conversation. But I just think if they put it in his hands, like gosh, I can't imagine how difficult that would be. Because again not to say he's just a football player, shut up and play football, you serve no other purpose, but again to get to that level, to be as successful as a lot of these guys are, you know, elite quarterbacks in the NFL. You got to give it everything you have. It has to be your life, it has to consume you. It is your craft, it is your job, it's your livelihood. And it has been probably for you know, the last fifteen twenty years of his life. However old he is, so really just a rare situation in sports. That is just you know, I cause, again this may shock some of you. I have no experience or knowledge, and you know neurology and brain injuries of any capacity, especially those in sports, but there cannot be a specific Like I put it this way, I have a hard time seeing somebody from a medical standpoint be able to tell him you're not allowed to play. We're going to tell the NFL you can't play anymore. So without that, like if it is just up to him, man, that just it'd be such a tough decision, it really would. And it's sad, you know.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: It's not like again, everybody gets their bell rung right like it happens in football. But like if I'm too, I'd be thinking why me, Like why do I have bad luck? Like what am I doing differently than all the other guys out there that are playing this violent sport. It's crazy, all right. We got Brooks and Done tickets to give away, folks. I think we're gonna do trivia again, John, We're gonna do band named trivia, or we're gonna do something else. I'm gonna give it some thought during the break, but Cove thirty will be the giveaway, and uh, I'm gonna try to do something different. I don't want to promise that it's gonna be like something we've never done before to give tickets away, but I'm gonna try to get creative as best I can. No promises that it'll be. You know, people don't care about creativity. They just want to win. They want to they want to get tickets to boot scooting boog either way down to the kfcum Center in April to see Brooks and Done. And I'll be there too, by the way. So I mean, if that doesn't add a little extra to the to the win, to the prize you'll get to go and I'll be there too, Then that make it more appealing, John, I mean, why not? I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I'm sure you know that doesn't that doesn't entice you in anyway. You just want to go see Brooks and done and I get it. All right, Let's go to the text line five two six five three zero seven ninety is the number if you guys would like to take again the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, if you could only bet on the UK Georgia game and you had to empty your account, even though you hate Kentucky, would you take Georgia to cover the monster number? Again? It's the only bet you can make this weekend. First of all, I don't I don't have to follow your rules. But again, this is a hypothetical. I'll tell you this. That's a good question, and I hear I am trying to answer without giving it any thought until you just ask me. I'm gonna go see what the number is right now. But until I find the number, I kind of feel like I would take Kentucky to cover. Maybe that's me just assuming that George is gonna show some mercy.
Speaker 4: What good does it do them to show mercy? I know it's kind of a be a courtesy to brock a Vandigars.
Speaker 2: That was it. That was the only thing I can think of it's at twenty two now, like I if I had again, if you're telling me that I only can bet on one game and I have to bet every bit that's in my account, and you know, my my, my livelihood as a better the rest of this season on college football is dependent upon me getting this game right minus twenty two, I would take Georgia. If it got to like minus twenty four and a half, I'd probably take Kentucky. And I don't put it this way. I don't believe Kentucky is as bad as what they look like against South Carolina. And that's what actually is more troubling for Kentucky fans and their I guess belief in Mark Stoops is the guy moving forward. Not to say that they all went and fired, but like what happens the rest of this season will be a big time will be a big time factor in how Kentucky fans look at their program moving forward. And again, I don't think that even if he went three and nine, four and eight, you would see the majority of their fan base encouraging Barnhart to push him out. But like it would be one of those things where you just have to say to yourself now this is run its course, and he's not happy. The best football that he had, the best football for him at Kentucky is in pass like we need something fresh. He's clearly overworked. He let you know that before the season started. So I I think I think Kentucky. I mean they got good players, man, like that's I wish I could say that they had Joker Phillips caliber talent, but they don't. They've got really good players. They've got some injury issues going on. I don't know if did you see Vandergrips banged up. He's on the injury report. If he doesn't play, it's it's a different game. But I think he will play out. They didn't list him as out, but on the SEC injury report that all schools in the league are required to submit, he was listed. So you know, I just think that Georgia will. So yeah, minus twenty two, I would take Georgia. I'm not touching this game, by the way. If I do, though, I would take what I would take. What Brian Edwards Vegas Insider throughout there yesterday. I think if you just look at the total points for for Georgia here, let's see here, Yeah, team yeah. I mean Georgia over thirty four and a half is plus one oh five. I think that's probably the best bet here in this game, because I think George is gonna score as many points as they want. And with Kentucky, you know, they've got really good players on the outside. I mean, I think they've got some good tight ends. I certainly know what they have with Barry and Brown and Dame Key, you know, but in their quarterback may be good. I mean, it's impossible to know. He didn't look good the other day, but I do think he deserves a little bit of the benefit of the doubt because of how bad his offensive line was. But Ken Spencer said something earlier this week about about Brock Vandergriff that really stood out to me, and that was that he started seeing ghosts out there just throwing terrible balls because the pressure had been there, and it was there consistently, and he was just overwhelmed, as most quarterbacks would. But like, if you are special as a quarterback, you really never see ghosts like that. So hearing Kirby Smart talk about how much he loved Brock Vandergriff and how much you know, he's a Georgia boy, he's always going to be a Georgia Bulldog. He won two national championships here. He left this place better than when he got here. I didn't get the sense that that's just a coach talking about a guy who used to play that moved on. I think he loves Brock. I think they think he's really good. But they understood now with the portal look. He played behind two different quarterbacks that can win national championships there. He has to move on if he wants to play. So I think in a way they could show some mercy. But to your point, John, this day at age man, I think style points matter. They can tell us that they don't, but they do.
Speaker 4: And plus, we don't know how good or bad Kentucky's going to be, and if they end up being a really bad team, Georgia doesn't want it to look closer than it should be.
Speaker 2: It's a really good point. You don't want to show mercy here. And then you get to the end of the year and maybe you have a head scratching loss to somebody that shouldn't that you shouldn't have lost to, and then they bring in and they only beat Kentucky by seventeen that's a good point. So what would you do if you were if the question was asked to you that was just asked to me. It's minus twenty two. Would you take the dogs or take in Kentuck or not Kentucky uga to cover? Yeah? Yeah, I mean, look, even if Kentucky beat South Carolina, that would probably still be a line that would be hovering around twenty two points, and most people would probably still take Georgia. I'm not expecting Kentucky to come out and like, you know, shock people and keep this game super close. But like I know, they have way better personnel than what they look like against South Carolina. And to be honest with you, that's what's got to be scary. If you're a Kentucky fan, you know you have better players in South Carolina, and yet you look like that. But when Stoops usually is looked at as far as having no shot to even keep it close, they never win, but they usually end up buying, Like Mark Stoops covering here would be so Mark Stoops, I think, but I'm not trusting it. I would take Georgia minus twenty two. Interesting question. I like when people give me the hypotheticals like that, really get me thinking upstairs, don't go anywhere. It's Cofee and company. We are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety So I usually don't start even looking at what NFL games I want to bet on until I get to until I get to Sunday, which is probably why I'm not. You know, I don't even know if preparation would help me. It can't hurt. But anyways, I'm now trying to start to get a little bit of an earlier look at what I want to do when it comes to NFL Sundays, not just because of you know, I want to be more prepared, but I really am enjoying getting in on the underdog fantasy action, which I'll talk a little more about that later, because if you are somebody that enjoys wagering on sports, but you really find yourself more interested in the player aspect, like player totals and whatnot, there's no better place to do it than underdog fantasy. And I mean again, getting it right is just like getting it right when you bet a game, whether it be a total over underspread, money line, whatever. But like, I don't know, I just feel like you're you're not relying upon as much if you just need one player to go out there and get four touches four catches whenever the line is set at three and a half. So anyways, the NFL is phenomenal, and the NFL on the Internet, man, the memes out there are crazy, and there were some that, you know, I get what the internet is. I'm well aware of, like the scum that you will find all over the Internet, including Twitter, which I think has become really the breeding ground for scumbags on the Internet. If we're being honest. Twitter's got its purposes and it's got its value, but man, it's I mean, it's not in a great place right now. But nonetheless this one is mean, but it's also funny to me. Malik Willis is that his name. The quarterback who played at Liberty was drafted by the Titans and then a year later they drafted Will Levis and traded Malik Willis to the Packers. He's now starting in place of Jordan Love. And if you look at just the picture of the on the bio, like if you go to the Green Bay Packers website and look at the Malik Willis page, like his bio, he's got a real cheesy grin, but also looks kind of like unsure of himself. And it just it's a meme that says when you are unexpectedly gonna be relied on at your job, because it looks like a guy who's like, oh crap, they're gonna they want me to play quarterback. I'm you know, I'm just here to try to, you know, And who knows, maybe he ends up making his debut with the pa Ackers and has success, But like, this is a guy that in Tennessee never really showed any sign of being a guy that could be your future franchise quarterback. And you know, they drafted him in the third round for some reason. I thought he got drafted a lot earlier. I think what it was is that at coming out of Liberty. He was at Auburn for two years and then went to Liberty and put up some big numbers there playing for playing for who wasn't I can't think of who it was. Liberty's coach has changed since then, I believe, because now you've got Jamie Chadwell that's there at Liberty. But either way, he was supposed to be a guy that was a top five overall pick at one point. I mean, that was the hype that Malik Will has had and then of course in Tennessee it just didn't work out. And now he's in Green Bay and now he's going to be the guy that they they need to lead him. But anyways, I'm going to give you guys what I like, and I don't you know, I hate even selling this when it comes to I could fake it. Like, in fact, I probably should do a better job baking it, especially when I'm going to be talking about what I'm doing with the with the the player bets on the Underdog Fantasy app. But like I've been so historically bad at betting on the NFL. Like when I share with you what I'm gonna do, I get worried that people might in fact tail me John because I don't want them losing their heart earned money. And that's what I do when I bet on the NFL. I lose hard earned money.
Speaker 4: Then they come for your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I do have some momentum because I had I had a three leg parlay that did hit. I had two results to go my way on Sunday in the late in the later games, and then I was waiting for Monday night to happen, and sure enough, the Niners came through and delivered. That was nice for me to get that one. And then last night it didn't cash a ticket because I parlayed it, but I did trust the Bills as underdogs to win money line and they won without any troubles. So you know, if anything, I guess I got some momentum. But we'll talk a little more about those picks and other college football picks that we've got before we get out of here. But I do want to talk to you guys about something really important, and that is the Jefferson Animal Hospital. Your pets, they're part of your family, right and anytime you have an emergency with somebody that's in your family, it's a scary, scary situation. And if you've never had an emergency with your pet, then consider yourself fortunate. But at any moment, it could happen and you might not know what to do. You might panic. I know I would, But just know that when it comes to getting your pets treated for an emergency, or just really any treatment when it comes to a vet, just know that you should rely on I mean you can and you should rely on Jefferson Animal Hospital because they've been doing this for a long time. They've been in business serving the Louisville community for over forty four years. They've been opened twenty four hours a day, including all holidays, with a doctor on site every night including Christmas, since nineteen eighty, so that's any day, any night, any shift, they're there for you. They're a team of dedicated doctors and staff have you in your pets covered in case of an emergency, so you can pop in. If it's an emergency, they'll be there, they'll be ready to help you, or you can schedule an appointment for any time, day or night. As I mentioned, you can walk right in. They save lives every day at the Jefferson Animal Hospital and Regional Emergency Center. You can give them a call five U two nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. They're over there on outer Loop. They've been there for a long time, as I mentioned, since night eighty so I'm sure if you've been in that area, you know exactly where they are and you don't want to go there, no offense. We love Jefferson Animal Hospital, but it's great if you know you don't have to go there for an emergency, but you also emergency aside, you need to get your pets checked on right. They need to be you know, getting vaccinations, examinations, even blood work. So if you don't have like a primary spot where you know you need to go to get your pet checked on in the case of an emergency or just to get them, you know, to make sure that they're healthy, you should. You should trust the Jefferson Animal Hospital on naturally again. Five O two nine hundred pets is their number, or you can visit Jefferson Vets dot com to get more information on their website. All right, let's see here, here's what we're gonna do for the giveaway at five thirty for the Brooks and Done concert tickets. We are gonna be doing the real band, fake band. We're gonna give you and get it. Five thirty is when we're gonna do it. So that's when we will open up the phone lines and you can try to be one of the first two to get in because that's that's how you end up being able to participate. And we'll give you two different band names. One of them is a band and the other one is a made up band that does not exist at least yet. We've been doing this long enough. You think maybe anybody started a band with one of our names. John, there's a chance.
Speaker 4: What's the one that Elliott always gave out whenever he would do this year?
Speaker 2: No, So, so Elliott has been an Elliott by the way, he's no longer with us. I mean he's not dead, but he no longer works here. I used to do that when people would like leave iHeart, I would just say they're no longer with us, and I realized, oh, they might think that person's dead. I did that with Nick the Brick, who only worked here for like a few months, but he became a good buddy of mine. But he's not dead. He just left to go do a different career. But anyways, Elliott's in a bunch of different bands. He has been throughout. I mean, Elliott's a's he's a musician. He used to produce shows for us here at iHeart, and he moved on to do something else. But you know, I think here are his band names. He had one called work Shirt, he had one called wax Eater, and there was another one I'm blanking on. So I told him one time, I'm like, hey, man, you'd be the one that can actually tell me if, like these are good band names or not, because you have named all the bands that you've been in and they're pretty good and you put on music shows and whatnot, so like you, you, you would be one person I would in fact take real legitimate feedback from as far as are my band names trash or are they decent? Or are they good? And uh he's you know, he was pretty direct, like, hey, shoot me, shoot shoot it to me. What do you got? And the first two I thought were good, but he he didn't like him. One was Whiffle Balls in Vegas. He didn't like that, asked waxed and Milwaukee. I think that's good. He said, nah to it's too much. And I like, what do you mean too much? Like there's band names that I can't even say on the radio and he's like, no, it's just it's just a lot. There's a lot, it's long. And I'm like, okay. So then I gave him this one and he was like, oh, that that that that's going to be a band before too long septic circumstance. That's good, isn't it?
Speaker 4: It is it sounds like some alt rock, alt metal, something like that.
Speaker 2: And I said, I worry a little bit about if you say it fast, like you could get you could get tongue tied. He's like, oh no, like and he gave me. He gave me the vision of like if they're if they're ever a band and they're out there alt rock and they've got some momentum, and like people in town are talking about going to the show because they're coming. They're bringing like we're not at the Yum Septum Circumstances, not at the Young Center yet, but we might get the Palace, we might get Zanzibar or something right, something like that, and more intimate venue. What's that other venue in Louisville that's been putting on shows forever, Mercury. No, Mercury is one of them. Maybe we do Mercury though, What am I thinking of headline towns? But that's another one they headliners. Yeah, we're at headliners. That's where septum septic circumstances. And again when I mentioned how it could get tongue ted, he said, oh no, what people would do, They'd say, hey, you go to the Septic show. And I'm like Oh dude, I feel like I want to go to the Septic show now a band that doesn't exist, because like it just sounds so real. So again, we'll give you two different band names and you will determine if they're real or if they're fake, and if you get it actually, yeah, we'll give you two. You got to determine which one's real, and if you get it right, you get a point. And whoever has the most points when where we finished the contest, you will be winners of the of the Brooks and Done the Brooks and Done tickets our last pair of tickets to give away, at least, I think I think we'll actually probably be able to give away more when we get closer to it, but it's it's a long way away, all right, real quick, before we get to our next break. This is something that has become not really a big story within the NFL, but it's at least, you know, made its way to the internet and people are talking about it. The Raiders had a press conference following their season opening loss on Sunday, and while the media is in the press room waiting for the coach the quarterback to arrive, you know they're they're they're chatting amongst themselves. If you've ever like been to a press conference, or if you've ever been like listening to a show waiting for the press conference to start, and like we send it there and we're waiting for somebody to walk up and we can't see it. Like it's different Now most of the time we just carry the stream and you can see quite literally what you know where they are. But it did. It used to work that way. We used to have to send people out there with equipment and they would say, like Will Clark would say, Hey, we're going live here, and then I just got to wait for the coach to walk in and sit down, but I don't know where he is. So you can hear people around you, right, there's microphones that are on well sometimes like there's an actual feed that the team is sending out, which is what we use now, Like if we want to play a press conference, I'm going to pull up the Louisville Fotball Twitter account and let you hear Jef Brom talk on that because that's the easiest way to do it. But sometimes they go live prematurely and there's a hot mic and there's people talking right and it's not players or coaches. It's the media hacks that are in there waiting to ask questions, and they don't know that they're live. They don't know that, like even if they're talking quietly, there is a hot live mic that is at the podium and like you might you talk loud enough, it might pick up what you're gonna say. So here's what happened. And I bring this up to ask like who's like, who's at fault for this? Is anybody at fault? Like should report? The Raiders reporters were caught on the hot mic at the press common conference trash talking the team. And I think this clip has it might not sound great. Let me see what this sounds like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unless unless Gardner and I'm just gonna get his as.
Speaker 2: I So that sounded terrible and you might not have been able to hear what was said. But Gardner's gonna get his ass kicked, Bob Baltimore. That's that's what was said, uh, by one of the media guys that is there. And you know, I'm just curious, like who who? If there's anybody at fault, it's got to be the Raiders for sending that out live on their like at their press conference, not realizing that, like it's gonna pick that up. Like, I'm sure the reporter whoever it was that said that, and I'm sure the raven or the Raiders know who it was that said that. Like I'm sure he's not happy because he probably said that to another colleague of his or one of his peers in the media there that covers the Raiders. But like, you know, I don't really know who's to blame here, you know what I mean? John, Like, if anything, I would blame it on the Raiders. But then again, like you know, maybe they don't care if that was out there. Gardner Minshew probably is not happy about it, but like you know, he's in the Yeah, he's in the NFL. He knows he's going to be criticized. He's a career journeyman. I don't think anything at this point in his career, there's not been a team that's been ready to just say he's the guy, right he won the job in Oakland, or not Oakland, but in Vegas, because who's the quarterback for Purdue that ended up there? He didn't win the job. Co Yeah, no, Connor could win. Could't win the gigs, so that's why Gardner Minshew is there. But it just got me thinking, and I'm glad somebody who sent this in on the text line earlier this week, Like, have I ever worried about being at a press conference, which I've gone to a press conference in a long time because I can't usually I'm going live right on the air here as soon as the game ends. But no, I've never Usually I don't. I'm not one that's just chitty chatty with people that are there. But I will say this, nothing crazy, like nothing. I'm gonna try to say this without sounding like a douche who's like, oh, if you guys knew what was really going on, because I don't want to mislead people. But there are people who like their their image, their brand, in their writing, or in their appearance on television, or in their apparent just you know, online. Like it's not not to say that they're not legitimate, genuine people, but like they're a little different when they're not in front of a microphone or not in front of a camera. And you know, there's just been some things said about Bobby Petrino in particular by media members that like if it was picked up by hot mic and everybody heard it, like we'd probably laugh because I think everybody would know that it would be true, but it'd be people that you would never expect, like where did that come from? I didn't know he had that in him. So anyways, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour. It's coffee and company. We are fewl about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So this is not a serious criminal offense, but it's one of many for Georgia's So obviously they've got Kentucky this weekend. There's soft more. Defensive back Daniel Harris was arrested in Athens on Thursday night for reckless driving and for other misdemeanor charges. That again, reckless driving obviously something you shouldn't do and you can't do. But the amount of driving related arrests and charges that have been within the Georgia football program is crazy. The Atlanta General Constitution has recounted twenty four different incidents between January twenty twenty three and July of twenty twenty four, So now add this one. Just you know, two months later, they have another arrest and again for the most part, I mean, they've not been really terrible. But if you remember, there was a tragic accident that results it in resulted in a death, I mean in yeah, it was in March, March of twenty twenty three. They ended up they end it up charging one of the former players for his role in the January fifteenth crash for street racing and reckless driving. And of course you know that was I mean, there was somebody who lost their lives. So there's some people making the comparison that, like with the amount of arrests and charges that they've had, that Kirby Smart is turning into the new version of Urban Meyer when he was at Florida because of all the criminal issues they had. But like, and there were some crazy things going on, which it really is wild that that documentary that Untold did for Netflix that featured I mean, it was multiple episodes that featured that era of Florida football under Urban Meyer when they were phenomenal, and like, they just didn't bring up all the crazy That's what that's really where they dropped the ball. I love those series. I'll still watch them, even though they kind of have turned into pr pieces. These documentaries. But how are you going to do a four episode special on urban Meyer and not bring up you know that there was a murderer who was the tight end, and that you know Tim Tebow, the the you know, Jesus reincarnated himself as your quarterback, and you've got all the like the pouncy twins. I mean Cam Newton was was was there and got dismissed because he got caught stealing all laptop had to go Juco before he ended up at Auburn. Like, there are countless things you can bring up from that era, like wow, that guy you know who? You knew that Florida had all these players that ended up in some legal troubles. Some of course ended up you know dead, like Aaron Hernandez. But to see that they were all there together during a time where Florida was rolling and on top of the world in football really is crazy. But any any you know, the Georgia stuff. Again, not to tact like this is normal. To see this many, this many incidents from that in that amount of time. It's not normal. But I think it's a little much to kind of throw out the comparisons of Florida. But I'm getting some pushback from from people who claimed and I'm sure it's Louisville fans just wanting to, you know, potentially cash in on content getting their ass kicked this weekend. But a lot of people say that, like their favorite bet this weekend is Georgia minus twenty two, which the more I think about it, I kind of get it. But then I'm also trying to think, Okay, well, like this is where the books do well because they're thinking big pick. Now again they're wrong as well, Like they're not perfect, nobody is. But like if Kentucky lost this game by seventeen, but yet they were down twenty four ish for a good chunk of it, but yet the nd the final score was seventeen. That really isn't a crazy result. But because of the recency of what's happened where they get killed by South Carolina, who nobody really thinks is good, and Georgia is right now looking like not only the best team in the country, they look like they may be on their own planet. It's like Georgia and then everybody else. George's only lost to Alabama in the last four years. Guys, I mean, let's keep that in mind. So again, I'm not touching that game. But the reason that came up is that we had an interesting hypothetical question on the text line from somebody who said, Nick, if you could only you can only been on one game this weekend, and you had to put everything that's in the account on the Kentucky game. What do you do? And you take in Kentucky minus twenty two or Georgia or Kentucky plus twenty two or Georgia minus twenty two. And I would take Georgia minus twenty two, but I'm still not touching it. I think the best bet in that game is the team total for Georgia over thirty four and a half. And I'm tailing our man Brian Edwards from Vegas Insider on that pick. All right, we've got another hour to go. We got a lot of time to talk picks, talk about this upcoming weekend give away, some tickets to Brooks and done. So we'll finish strong here five o'clock on a Friday. That's next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety