Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor is simply Safe Home Security. A lot of homes go unattended over July fourth weekend, making them prime targets for intruders.
Speaker 2: Don't wait for a break in to react.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe offers proactive home security designed to prevent disasters entirely, keeping your home safe while you're away. With simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs. It's more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras in twenty four to seven professional monitoring. The app guided setup is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. There's no long term contracts or cancelation fees. Monitoring plans start at around a dollar a day. I'm lucky enough to be joined by someone who's set up a simply Safe system all by himself. That's right, confirms the no drilling, No drilling, drill, baby.
Speaker 3: Drill, Simply Safe. I set it up, easy to do. You know, you set up the thing, comes you customize it. You can install it a matter of minutes. Very easy to do. You don't have to make any holds or anything, and then the app incredibly reliable and great and simple to use. The customer support always gets you a peace of mind.
Speaker 2: Win win.
Speaker 1: Don't miss out on this exclusive fourth of July deal just for our listeners. Right now, you can get a massive seventy percent off your new system. It's simplysafe dot com slash crooked. That's an incredible seventy percent off your home security at simplysafe dot com slash crooked. Hurry because there's no safe like simply safe.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod Save America. I'm John Favre, I'm Dan Pfeiffer. Happy fourth. We decided to record a little early ahead of the long weekend. Long week for me. I'm heading to Maine for vacation, just see if I can get some of those Harris Collins voters back on side. You know, you pod boys saying nice things about platin Er. I'm just going to try to go to Maine and get it done myself.
Speaker 4: You know, if there's any group we have a lot of sway with, it is uh older women, Susan Colin votters in Maine.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm telling you I'm going to where I'm going. That is the place. That's right.
Speaker 4: I understand Emily has been on the ground for weeks.
Speaker 2: I know Platinus numbers. I know I'm bringing in reinforcements. What are you guys up to for the fourth? Are you sticking around?
Speaker 4: We're sticking around. We're having a bunch of people over very chill. Fourth. You're not gonna be very patriotic, but chill.
Speaker 2: Fourth, You're not going to check out the California exhibit at the Great State Fair in DC and listen to Trump's speech.
Speaker 4: We are going to listen to Trump's speech. We're going to gather everyone around the TV. We're going to watch it together as a family, as one as anyone who loves America would do.
Speaker 2: Perfect, perfect a kid. The kids will always remember how they spent their to the Americas two fifty with their half century old dad. I mean I heard that. I heard. I heard. That's what your kids are calling you.
Speaker 4: That's what That's what Kylie keeps saying to me. She's like, Dad, you're now a half a century old.
Speaker 2: That is brutal. That hit me hard, mainly because I'm only a couple of years away.
Speaker 4: But well, I will, I trust me, I will make sure that your children quite you last century in five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could probably get Charlie going on that. Now, all right, we got some news to cover before we take off for the break. Trump making two billion dollars since taking office, the right wing freak out over birthright citizenship, more progressive primary wins in Colorado, And you and I are going to nerd the hell out over some brand new New York Times polls on all the biggest Senate races. Fun. But first, let's talk about how our president is celebrating America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday by jumping on his brand new Katari Palace in the Sky formerly known as Air Force One, which touched down in the Dakotas for the opening of Teddy Roosevelt's Presidential Library and a firework show at Mount Rushmore even though people there were worried it might start a wildfire, the vpiest thing ever. Then jets back to DC for what he's calling quote the most spectacular Trump Rally of the mall, which will reportedly include over eight hundred thousand fireworks in an attempt to set the Guinness World Record. Trump seems to be going for another record as well, he said, quote it's going to be approximately one hundred and seven degrees out, and I'm going to make a really long speech just to show that I can do anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is the American spirit.
Speaker 2: That is the American spirit. This is apparently why the fireworks aren't starting until after eleven pm Eastern. Very cool, very considerate. Trump's really been on one this week. Here he is talking about and two Teddy Roosevelt at the opening of the museum this week.
Speaker 5: Theodore Roosevelt, he had great passion. The colonel they called him, was an American man. He was really a great he man. They say it was forty pounds of muss. I don't know how that how that happened. They didn't have modern day drugs. Of course, the modern day drugs don't do that either, do they. In fact, they actually take away the muscle.
Speaker 4: That's not the sun was brave.
Speaker 5: It's genetics, you know.
Speaker 4: It's like the race horse theory.
Speaker 5: They're the only father and son pair to receive our nation's highest military award for courage above and beyond. Now, as I see my two beautiful sons sitting there, I think I'm going to give one to myself, one to them, and we'll have a threesome.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I even had a conversation with Theodore Roosevelt, and I said, what did you think about the Panama Canal? Do you consider that your greatest achievement? How do you feel about the fact that the Democrats gave the Panama Canal away to Panama for one dollars?
Speaker 4: The nation comes first, you get through.
Speaker 5: I know you know that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: I appreciate those words.
Speaker 5: Those words are fantastic, and I just want to say it to an with you today we are making a little bit of a tour.
Speaker 2: There he is there, he is jacked AI, Teddy Roosevelt all muscle. He and his son big winners, and maybe Trump and his son can also be winners and have a threesome. What do you think?
Speaker 4: It just doesn't seem to me like Trump fully understands what's happening in the conversation of the AA Teddy Roosevelt.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Does he think he's talking to Teddy Roosevelt? Does he understand how an AI chatbot hologram works?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Should we be doing more of this? Should we do? Should Democrats have a AI Ronald Reagan at our convention to talk about how Trump is is not a Republican, and there are all kinds of things you did here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Trump was deep in the weeds on the executive order to lift the export controls on Fable and Mythos, the claude ll Ms. He was. He's deep in the weeds there because he has a lot of thoughts on those models. So I'm sure he.
Speaker 4: Speaking of a I did you did you see this morning that Open AI offered the US government a five percent stake in the company?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, that's also a an idea on the left, by the way, that some have uh proposed. I believe roe Conna has proposed that it is now the challenges and Bernie has proposed that too. The idea is the government gets a stake of it, and then the government distributes like on the upside of these AI companies, that the government distributes that to people as like a like like an oil royalty for for our age. Of course, the challenge is what happens when Donald Trump is in charge or another Donald Trump is in charge? Right, Like you'd want to you'd want to have that kind of power in the hands of a president who's into redistribution.
Speaker 4: Well, you'd have to write, you'd have to write a law that like the like the oil royalties in Alaska.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's that's that's all this neither here nor there. Trump's talking to AI Teddy Roosevelt talking about threesomes with his kids. Uh do you think do you think he caught that? Do you think afterwards someone was like, hey, people are laughing because you did talk. Because the word threesome usually doesn't just mean you and your son's having medals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I suspect that Trump, as someone who's lived the life he's lived, is very familiar with threesomes.
Speaker 2: Do you think he's that generous?
Speaker 4: Maybe? Maybe? I mean, I don't know. I I think that I think that Trump is a sign of a sign of selfishness, is my guess. Also, we're poor, Baron, I did make the familial threesome.
Speaker 2: That kid caught a lucky break, I guess. Larger question for you, how do you think all these Trump organized America to fifty events are landing with people who aren't MAGA fans or whiny America hating libs like us. You think most people are seeing all this?
Speaker 4: I kind of presume they're not seeing it. It's just it's not really breaking through in any way, shape or form. None of it's exciting, none of it's interesting. People are pretty busy. They have a million options for how this men. They're limited attention to the extent they hear anything Trump is. Trump has made it all political, and so there's a whole group of people like people like us will either make fun of it or or ignore it, and then the people who don't really care about politics or don't actively avoid politics will immediately turn away from it. Like you could see a world potentially where a different president does something different that is more in the theoretical spirit of America, that is more bipartisan. You know, you could see a world where a democratic president or even a different Republican president who comes from a different Republican party, in an alternative universe, has on stage the Obamas, the Bidens, the Clintons, the Bushes, and we're you know, basically you have a library opening. But but it you know, I just I went back and looked a lot of like what happened in nineteen seventy six, and so much of it a it happened in an election year, which is notable, but also just so much of the attention to it also had a lot to do with the fact that we lived in a world where there were three TV station channels and you had to watch it, and so you couldn't it just it was like beamed into the brainz and Mirrikan people people do they kind of involved. Like I saw the whole thing about how people decorated all their painted all the fire hydrants red, white and blue. Some of them turned them to like very funny like a link in fire hydrants and things like that. But just in this day and age, it's like it's hard to get people attention like that. And Trump is not trying to actually do that. He's trying to make it about himself and that was doomed to fail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the attention of the country is pretty much World Cup is America.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, that's like the fiftieth celebration was last night in the World Cup game where everyone came together and one and now wants to throw tea in the pool of the referee who gave us the red card. Yes, it's me the appropriate colonial response.
Speaker 2: Find this pool just dump it with dump it dumps some teina. Yeah. No, I've been really into some of like the you know, opinion pieces on this. I was like watching that Netflix has a good doc American Experiment that I.
Speaker 4: Was even watching that.
Speaker 2: I was watching that I'm a sucker for like revolutionary war history. And but then I was and I was like thinking about it a lot, and I thought I was maybe going to write something about it. I'm like, really, this is just a small circle of people talking to each other who already talk to each other on sub stack in other places the way.
Speaker 4: Don't do not knock that, do not knock a small circle people talk each.
Speaker 2: Other readers and New York Times readers and podcasts. I'm like, it is, you know, the people trying to get most of the country to pay attention to the two hundred fifty anniversary seems like a tall order when Donald Trump is president and everything else is going on.
Speaker 4: I just want to caution you that if your new logic is it's only going to reach a small group of people talk to each other, you're going to start doing all things.
Speaker 2: Well, I would talk to people about other other issues, okay, parents, Like what am I trying to convince people of that? It's that this is what America is really about? Yeah, Like that's We're all on board, all right. Few other Trump items to discuss, lest you think he's trying to make this anniversary all about himself. Trump is reportedly considering an idea described as two hundred and fifty pardons for two hundred and fifty years. That's how a person close to the White House described it to The Atlantic, in an effort to quote reinforce an image he has long sought to cultivate, Trump the merciful. Yeah, that's he's really been working hard on that. I don't know how much progress he's made. The piece goes on to say, quote, the prospect of a mass pardon has set off an international frenzy of lobbying and deal making in which even slight proximity to the president can be monetized. No shit. And speaking of monetizing the presidency, Trump's twenty twenty five financial disclosure just came out and shows that the President of the United States raked in at least two point two billion dollars last year while in office, with at least one point four billion of that coming from his family's cryptocurrency business slash Ponzi scheme. What better way for a president to celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth than by using his office to make two billion dollars off a Ponzi scheme and then also pardon all of his rich criminal friends. I must have missed the announcement from the Republican Congress that they will be launching impeachment hearings over this. Did you catch it?
Speaker 4: No, I must have missed it too. I was so busy taking in the sights of the Great American State Fair that I might have missed this. The two fifty parties thing is so funny because there's a line in the story which says, I'm going to read it here. One advisor said there had been polling that suggested a mass pardon could benefit the president.
Speaker 2: I caught that. I caught that. Where do you think do.
Speaker 4: You think that's yes? You know who commissioned that poll? A bunch of criminals or a bunch of people making money off the criminals? Like that's who commissioned that bole. There is no poll that suggests a mass pardon of frankly anyone. Like pardons can be good commuting people's sentences who were have unfair drug sentences. All there's good use of the parton power. Even that is never popular. A mass pardon is not popular. It's an insane thing. It's something that someone told Trump in order to get him to pardon people that that has hired this advisor to do.
Speaker 2: I was honestly trying to think of how the question would be worded to get a good result, and it would be like, do you think the president should reduce the sentences of people who've been unfairly imprisoned Yes, by a weaponized justice, wrongly convicted?
Speaker 4: Yes? If the are you are? Would you reproven disapproved of the president releasing people innocent people from prison like that?
Speaker 2: That is probably Yeah. That probably showed that he was going to give him a little boost.
Speaker 4: Now on the corruption thing, it is, I mean, the amount of money Trump's made is truly unbelievable. And the thing that makes it so much worse than it could possibly be, and it's hard to imagine it could be worse than that is it's not like Trump just picked a bunch of smart stocks or even got inside information on inside access to some IPO that took off, or even did some sweetheart real estate deals.
Speaker 2: Which he was trying to say yesterday when asked about it, he was like, well, everyone profiting because the S and P is up. It's like, no, that's not what's happening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's not exactly what happened there. And most of his money is not And although he does do a lot of day trading, what is most of the money here is from the crypto money. And that is a very specific Ponzi scheme run against his most loyal supporters. He took money, He weaponized their adoration for him and their trust in him, got them to buy bogus crypto coins, essentially pulled the rug out from underneath them, and sold a chunk of the company to to an amoradi fund, perhaps in exchange for selling America's most valuable technology to the amortis.
Speaker 2: The story about this in the Times. As you said, yeah, the cryptocurrency coin created by World Liberty Financial has sunk to less than six cents, a more than eighty percent drop from its peak, generating enormous losses for investors who bought it at a higher price.
Speaker 4: And Trump made money on all It's not just the value of the he also was making money off the sale of all the coins as well.
Speaker 2: Yep, just a total grift. I mean, what do you think about this, like it's I mentioned the Republican Congress because you know, we're gonna talk about this in a bit with the polls. But it's like, yeah, people think that Trump is corrupt. Message delivered, but we're not trying to beat Trump in the midterms. We are trying to beat the Republican Congress. And these people could do something about it. They could be like, hey, the president is profiting off a Ponzi scheme while in office. There's all this kinds of corrupt dealings going on, There's all kinds of foreign entanglements as you mentioned, and potentially foreign corruption, foreign influence that he's working on nothing.
Speaker 4: I mean, Tommy and I talked about this a little bit only friends yesterday, but I think the corruptions of his area, it's already priced into the baseline here in two ways. One, people think Trump always believe Trump was corrupt in some way, ty orform, and they also think most politicians are corup. Trump just dips his peek a little deeper than everyone else, but he he is suffering from the full weight of all of these things. I mean, he's a prover rings at thirty seven percent, Like how much lower do we expect it to go And is it just because of the coruption. No. Is there one more piece of coruption that's going to come out that's going to drive him the thirty two No. But the way I think about all these things is they're all affordability related. This is just all the shit he's doing that's not helping you, and that stuff hit different when prices are low, and it's much worse for Trump when prices are high. And so people do care, maybe not as much as we want them to care, but it does hurt him politically, It absolutely does, and that's we're already seeing that in the polls.
Speaker 2: No. My point is that we got to get some of that stink on the Republican Congress.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean there, yes, yes, and you see that.
Speaker 2: In because you're right, But no, I completely agree with everything you so like, we can't like we did it. People know that he's a bad president. You look pull after poll after poll after poll, like he is losing that argument, but he is also a lame duck president who is not on the ballot. No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's a question about whether that is putting the stink. We'll talk about this in the next section. Whether that's putting the stink on the Republicans or taking the stink off the Democrats is the best route to doing that right, Plenty of or more likely combination of.
Speaker 2: The two, plenty of stink to go around. Should say that hiring also slowed to fifty seven thousand jobs added last month. The jobs numbers came out way below expectations, and the last two months that they were celebrating, of course, have been revised down. So not a great economy unless you're Donald Trump and you have a crypto scheme that you're profiting off of. Even the Wall Street Journal, by the way, you see there's a Wall Street Journal editorial, No, how did I miss this about Donald read about Donald Trump's corruption, which is notable because I know you and Tim we talked about. The New York Post did an editorial just criticizing Trump's corruption, and now Wall Street Journal, so all the Murdoch properties except for Fox. They even said, Yowser's Yawser's the wash. The Wall Street Journal said the main difference between Hunter Biden's foreign dealings and the Trump projects so that the Trumps are brazenly open about theirs, but there will be political costs for Republicans. If Democrats take back the House or Senate, they will have a field day probing the Trump family deals. Charges of GOP corruption will resound through twenty twenty eight. This will feed the left's class warfare and narrative that billionaire oligarchs are getting rich off government. Will it feed that narrative? I wonder why? Probably because it's a true narrative, Yes.
Speaker 4: Right, yes, Would it tell people what's happening? Yes, that's all what.
Speaker 2: Happened anyway, that's from your liberal friends at the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 3: So patatea America's brought you by Quints. When summer finally arrives, you don't want to spend precious time agonizing over what to wear. You want a great comfortable clothes to wear in the summer when it's hot. You know, that's why you got to keep coming back to Quins. They focus on really well made clothes that will become like everyday staples that you use all the time. Quins is one hundred percent European linen pants and sure it's are breathable, easy to throw on in the summer. Upgrade your rotation needs start at just thirty four dollars. Their teas are so soft you'll never want to take them off, and the lightweight cotton sweaters are exactly what you want on cool summer nights. Everything at Quints is price fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands. They work directly with ethical factories to cut out the middlemends, so you're paying for exceptional quality, not brand markup. I love Quints. I have great sweats from Quinns. I have a great bag from Quints. I have great sheets from Quints.
Speaker 2: Great sweaters.
Speaker 3: It might be hot out, but you'll also look hot. That's right, Quints nice make your summer wardrobe easier. Go to quints dot com slash crookeet for free shipping on your order in three hundred and sixty five day returns now available in Canada. Two that's qu i Ncee dot com slash crookeet for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns quints dot com slash Crookeet.
Speaker 1: Patza of America is brought to you by ag One. Summer is always a perfect time to unwind, to throw your schedule out the window and prioritize adventure with ag one that doesn't have to mean letting your health fall by the wayside. Eg One is a daily health drink with a multi vitamin pre in, probiotics, superfoods, and antioxidants. The easy delivery system means you'll get high quality nutritional support every single day, no matter when or where you start your morning. Ag One helps to maintain energy, support gut health, and support immune health as well. The next gen formula delivers seventy five or more ingredients clinically shown to support gut health, fill common nutrient gaps, and improve key nutrient levels within three months. I take ag one pretty much every single day. I'd like to start my morning with a smoothie. And what you do is you you know, whatever stuff you put in your smoothie, banana, apple, I don't know whatever yogurt, sure, your protein powder. You just sprinkle a little ag one on top. It actually always taste good. It makes it tastes a little better. It kind of fits in with whatever the other stuff is, and it means you're not blending a bunch of green crap in there that doesn't taste good, but you feel obligated to add because it seems healthy. Visit drinkag one dot com. Slash crooked to get free ag one traveling case with seven free HG one travel packs and your welcome kit with your first ag one subscription order while supplies last. That's drinkag one dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 2: We should also discuss the absolute freakout in magaworld over the Supreme Court's decision to affirm the right to citizenship that comes with being born in the United States as granted by the fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution after slavery was abolished more than one hundred and fifty years ago. The court struck down Trump's effort to end birthright citizenship via executive order, but the President's reaction to this was pretty mild compared to Trump allies like The Daily Wires Matt Walsh, who said that America is committing suicide and the fact that his children are having their birthright destroyed. Quote fills me with rage so deep I can't describe it. Sean Davis, co founder of The Federalist, tweeted out some potential remedies that include denying entry to the US to all female foreigners, all pregnant women, and requiring sterilization of all foreign visitors prior to entry. And you know who says he's looking into these ideas, Steven Miller, who has been absolutely hysterical about this. He's saying talking about national suicide, national self obliteration, and quote, a deep knife wound in the heart of the American Republic. All right, what do you make of the reaction and specifically, what do you make of Steven Miller and other White House officials considering this crackdown on pregnant women entering the country. Can't believe I had to say those words, and.
Speaker 4: These people are just disgusting, opportunistic, delusional goals. Like it's so it is, it's just so stupid, and it is so like just think of think about this right in twenty eighteen Republican like there is some political in there. I try to, like sometimes try to put myself in their heads, pretend that they are quasi rational political actors, Like I think Stephen Miller is doing this from a just purely sincere, deeply held racial animis. I think other people in the MAGA world are looking at this. While they certainly share some of that racial animis, they are also looking this politically and in their mind.
Speaker 2: I think I think Sean Davis and Matt walsher absolutely genuine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure. But you know, I think they look at this and say, we're getting killed on all the on affordability, all these other issues. What is the one issue where Trump is not twenty thousand leagues underwater, and that is border security? And so can we move the conversation back to border security? Now? The flaw in this plan is that in twenty eighteen, when Republicans were getting ready to lose the mid terms, they concocted a fake story about a caravan of MS thirteen members marching to America, and the twenty twenty sixth version of that is a bunch of pregnant with tourists.
Speaker 2: It's just so fucking it's it's it's the grossest thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just so stupid. It's just so it's also so stupid, like dude, you really It means it's so painfully dumb and engross. It's all dumb and gross, which I guess is kind of the theme of the entire area in which we're living.
Speaker 2: But the Center for Immigration Studies, which is the far right immigration organization, they because they're their whole argument here. Trump's argument Miller's argument is this like birth tourism, right, that people are coming here illegally and then they're having kids so they can be American citizens, and then you know, I guess then the whole country falls apart. But even they say that this is they put birth tourism at roughly twenty thousand cases a year. There were they were about three point sixty one million births in the United States every year, so that is well under one percent. And that number, the twenty thousand is contested by just about everyone. Because this is a right wing organization. Some people think it's far far less, like a couple thousand. But even if you go by their arguments, it is like it is just again much like their voter fraud ship, it completely made up argument.
Speaker 4: It is the danger like it seems absurd to us. The danger of it is you take the most egregious, outlandish rarest if possibly non existent, example, and you use it to take down an entire system like this is Ronald Reagan and the welfare queens all over again, where this is a way to try to undo birthright citizenship, which, as you and I talked about on YouTube after the hearing, you know you have a potential Supreme Court majority or near majority at this point, who would suggest that that can be done statutorily, And so you kind of understand, like I understand the short term political argument there. The longer term thing is to try to make people think this is something that's really happening when it's not actually happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then the flip side of that from picking the most egregious example is basically what John Roberts argued about the descent in this case, which was the descent was like, well, the word domicide should mean where the parents have allegiance to and if the parents were born in some other country and have allegiance to that country and owe something to that country, then you know, then we shouldn't then the child shouldn't be a US citizen. And Roberts was like, okay, well what about foreign nationals who are legal permanent residents in this country? And if you're a foreign national, if you have dual citizenship, or even if you just have a you know, you're a legal permanent resident in this country and you're still a citizen of another country, you do have some allegiance to that other country, and you are still to pay some taxes to that other country. And so now we're saying that all foreign born people in this country who have children here, those children aren't American citizens. And then at that point, who gets to decide who's a citizen? Trump? Trump gets, Trump and Steven Miller get to decide who's a citizen. They get that power. The government gets to decide that is. And I think that is the argument that most people in this country would not get behind, that your citizenship is determined not by your birth, not by where your parents are from, but by Donald Trump and Stephen Miller.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about what's happening with the people who are trying to bounce these jokers out of office. On Tuesday, Colorado held its primaries, and once again, progressive candidates won the day. In the first district, which is basically the heart of Metro Denver, twenty nine year old immigrant turned lawyer turned insurgent DSA candidate Milak Kiros beat Diana to get a fifteen term incumbent by about ten points. Kiros is a PhD student who lost her job at a prominent law firm in twenty twenty three after refusing to take down an open letter she wrote about what she saw as a crackdown on criticism of Israel. How did she manage to beat an entrenched incumbent like Diana to get in part because of exchanges like this from a debate in early June.
Speaker 6: And when we have that opportunity again, we have to pass medicure for all cancer, all medical and break up big medicine to try that competition in the healthcare industry. If we do that, then whatever SECA fan fills the shoes of Donald Trump in the twenty thirty two presidential election, who tries to blame on our most vulnerable communities for riek system, it's will bring hollow to the voters. But as a party, we can point to what we accomplished in achieving healthcare for all and see, this is what Democrats achieved for working people.
Speaker 2: This is how we delivered pretty good, very good. It's not just policy where Curas has managed to draw a sharp distinction. Here's a question you got in a local news interview a week ago about an ad she reposted from a super pack supporting her.
Speaker 4: I believe that the ad also suggested that centrist Democrats suck shit.
Speaker 7: Is that relief as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, just hearing him, just hearing the interviewers say that was enjoyable. Because of the makeup of the district, Curius is almost certainly to win the general election, and she has said she won't vote for Hiking Jeffries for speaker if he takes corporate pack money. In the primary for the state's eighth district, northeast of Denver, progressive state Representative Manny Rutnel defeated a more moderate Democrat by twenty eight points. He will take on vulnerable Republican Gabe Evans, one of the most vulnerable Republicans in the country, a big frontline race. And in the governor's race, the progressive but not DSA state Attorney General Phil Wiser beat out Senator Michael Bennett by about twelve points. Know you and Tommy talked about this on Padsave America Only Friends, But what were your thoughts on Colorado and where it fits in with the New York results and what's to come.
Speaker 4: So I think the Kiros race against to get fits very squarely in the narrative coming out of New York. We have a progressive insurgent candidate running against a long entrenched Democratic establishment figure. And like in New York, the Democrat is not a moderate per se, but I mean to gets a member of the Congression Progressive Caucus now more moderate than Kiros and maybe more moderate than some of the voters of this district that Kamala Harris won by fifty six points. And so this district, I know, it's in Colorado, and so we think of it differently. It is just about as democratic as the three in New York has won by more than fifty points in all of them, and it, you know, it speaks to the very real anger that exists within the party towards the democratic establishment, the status quo, and the system. And we talked about what we talked units in the New York We talked about the New York races just last week, I think, talked about the ways in which those anger manifests itself. And Kiros ran a great race, she won by double digits, and so that fits in that narrative. The other two races don't fit exactly in that narrative. What is true of the Wiser Bennett race, Like I guess it is fair to say that Wiser is a progressive, but Bennett, but he's not that much more notably progressive than Bennett. And he is not an insurgent. He is the two term attorney general of the state who worked for Bill Clinton and Barack Obama where he what he did do was he did weaponize that anger against the establishment in one of the elements of it, which is Bennett's been in Washington for a couple decades now, or almost two decades. He was appointed in two thousand and nine, I believe to replace Kensal's ar and but he attacked him for not fighting hard enough against Trump, being part of establishment that let Trump win, and then ran on all the things that Wiser had done as a very good attorney general fighting back against Trump with lawsuits and other sorts of things, and so, but it's not he's not remember the DSA. It's different. He also was someone with he as good of name id and probably more like recent depth of knowledge relationship with the voters than Bennett because he's the attorney He's a high profile attorney general in the state, and Bennett's been in Washington. And then the Routinel Shannon Burn race is interesting and kind of speaks to how progressive candidates I think will win in these frontline districts. If the running is Rutnell did not run to.
Speaker 2: The left, No, ran to this ran to the center.
Speaker 4: He ran to the center. He even he even denounced his own form of veganism and he but.
Speaker 2: He did attack unlike Taller Rico. He really he really was a vegan.
Speaker 4: Yes, he actually was a vegan. He was a peda activist in one of the top farm districts in the country and has walked away from that.
Speaker 2: And he sort of he sort of walked away from Medicare for all also.
Speaker 4: Yes, and being a DSA member. Where but where he went after, which is I think also interesting notic was where when he went after Bird was on ICE because Bird had a vote or two in the state legilator that was suggested.
Speaker 2: I think it was like Cooperate. It was like state wise cooperations.
Speaker 4: Yes, it wasn't like she was endorsing ICE or wearing like ICE T shirts, but that was a major issue in the race. And so these are all different. They do speak to the fact that you really don't want to be particular in the Wiser and Heros race, You really don't want to be a longtime democratic establishment figure like that. Yeah, you're a vulnerable in a way, but you've never been.
Speaker 2: Before, and that the voter anger at the establishment, and specifically the fact that the establishment has not done enough to improve the lives of working people in this country or enough to beat back Donald Trump and Republicans is probably at least what the primaries are telling us, probably even more powerful than anger at Democrats for being too centrist or too moderate. Yes, yes, I think the and it it's race dependent, of course, but clearly in the in the Bennett race, in the Routinel race, in some of the other ones we're seeing like that is a factor, that is a factor that is uniting all of this, all of this anti establishment.
Speaker 4: Further, the ideological thing is hard to parse because it's talked about one way by the pundit's analyzing the race, and I think it's viewed by voters in a different way. Yeah, like, and I think a big issue in a lot of these races is obviously Israel and Gaza. Yes, and it's played itself in different ways. It was it was obviously a central part of Kiros's race and her political identity and her right entry into politics was because of her views on Israel and gaza, and it does represent the issue where there's the greatest distance between the party establishment and the voter, and particularly the Democratic primary voter and the most active Democratic primary voters. And I think that issue it's ideological. What's also a litmus test of sorts in the sense that it says if you were unwilling to, in the minds of voters, call what is what you what everyone is seeing with their eyes genocide or to react to it in the right way, it says something about who you are and who you stand for, and so like is it I think it's too easy to say that. It's like just people want to say it's all about being more progressive than being not progressive, and it's more complicated in that. It's also I think more complicated than being just like who's a fighter? Like you definite wouldn't want to be a fighter, Like not being a fighter is bad, Like like there are on a lot of there are on a lot of people waving the white flag who are winning these primaries or in elections in general. But it it just I always find myself struggling with this because it's the conversation is more complicated and dynamic than the terms in which we generally try to have the talk about it and sort of how votes of it.
Speaker 2: Because when people say moderate, liberal, progressive, there's like an umbrella over all the issues, and in reality it's issue by issue for different voters and in different parts of the country and in different races, right because and.
Speaker 4: These aren't moderates who are losing. But the exception of Goldman against Lander and Golden, particularly the issue where Golden was most moderate was Israel. But Espiot not a moderate to get not a.
Speaker 2: Moderate, No, but been there a while.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a generational element to this.
Speaker 2: Too, coming attractions. Did you see AOC endorsed abdul Elsad in Michigan? So there's the Michigan primary where obviously the Senate race is the Marquis race. I believe there's also like a house race there as well. Shreithanadar is a Democratic congressman there who's facing a primary challenge. There's a few more. Do you have any do you know.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, there's Wie Wasserman Schultz, Yeah, I guess, Elijah Manley and apparently Luther Campbell formerly of Two Life Crow, which I did not realize until heard the new York Times Real story of it. Yes, then she is not. She is running in a district that's not hers because it was redrawn. So it's a little bit more like the Al Green and Julie Johnson losses earlier this cycle.
Speaker 2: Stephen Lynch in Massachusetts, Steven.
Speaker 4: Lynch in Massachusetts, and there for Ed Markey in Massachusetts, John Larson in Connecticut, Wesley Bell who beat Corey Bush two years ago. This is not a generational one. This is more of a modern progressive one. But Corey Bush is now and he won in large part because of apex spending in that race. He was their candidate, and so Corey Bush is now running for her seat again. That's one in Missouri, which comes up in August. I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so wet we got.
Speaker 4: There is plenty of time for panic and overly hot takes and on nuanced takes about all of these things going forward.
Speaker 2: Can't wait.
Speaker 3: Pod Dave America's brought you by blinds dot Com. There's a version of your home you haven't lived in yet, where the light behaves just as you want, where the rooms feel finished, where you sleep until you decide to wake up, not when the sun does. Blinds dot Com has spent thirty years making it easy to find the perfect fit. With over twenty five million windows covered and fifty thousand and five star reviews, you could feel confident you're in good hands. Whether you want to go full DIY, bring in a licensed, in vetted pro to handle, measure and install, or land somewhere in between, you're always in control. They make it simple to choose the level of support that works best for you, with flexibility every step of the way. Need help picking the right style. Book of free consultation with one of the Blinds dot COM's award winning design experts. No pushing salespeople, no awkward in home visits, just advice on your schedule. They'll even ship samples to your door fast and free. Choose for a huge variety of style options of prices that fit any budget. Everything is backed by blinds dot COM's one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee. Because at blinds dot Com, the only thing they treat better than windows is you. We love Blinds dot Com. We have great blinds from Blinds dot Com. In our office, it was so sunny in the afternoons would get really hot in there. I couldn't see your screens. So we got Blinds dot Com. We got these automatic window shades that are perfect and it was so easy. We walked out of our office for a you know, like an hour or two, come back done amazing and right now, Blinds dot Com is giving our listeners in exclusive fifty dollars off when you spend five hundred dollars or more. Just use code crook it a checkout. Limited time offer rules and restrictions apply. See blinds dot com for details.
Speaker 1: Poti America is brought to you by sleep Me. When was the last time you went to bed before midnight without scrolling?
Speaker 4: Doom?
Speaker 1: Scrolling the latest news cycle keeps your brain buzzing, and worse, it grazes your.
Speaker 2: Core body temperature.
Speaker 1: A body that's to warm cannot fall into a deep, restorative sleep. You're not just mentally exhausted, your body never actually recovered from the day. The fix is simple, lower your temperature. Enter Chili Pad two point oho, the water based mattress topper that actively controls your bed temperature from fifty five to one hundred and fifteen degrees all night long. No new mattress, no renovation. It fits over what you already have. One hundred and fifteen degrees. Just gonna sooth yourself on that line anyway. Chili Pad two point zero actively cools or warms. You're bad using water, and the water.
Speaker 2: Is key here.
Speaker 1: Chili Pad uses actively chilled water to cool the bed, actually pulling heat away from your body. It's like the difference between standing in front of a fan and jumping into a cold pool. But this isn't just an upgrade, it's a complete rethink. The new two point zero comes with the redesigned dock, quieter than ever, with a larger internal tank. The toper itself is now a premium performance grade cover that un zips for easy washing and has built in waterproof protection. And unlike a lot of tech out there, there's no subscription. You buy it, you own it to your warranty. Designed and assembled in the US of A, just north from Charlotte, North Carolina. If I get a bad night's sleep, I feel terrible. If I sleep well, I feel great. It's that simple. And temperature in the room is is a big important thing. And if you like me, have a partner that does battle with you over whether the room should be like seventy four or seventy eight the chili sleep is seventy eight. Did she checks up that in the middle of night, will just turn up the thermostat.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty of the chili sleeping chili see, because you can have one side be hot, one side be cold.
Speaker 1: It's actually great. It's a great life has save marriages. It will save marriages. You'll sleep better, You'll feel better. It's just a cool idea. Really, visit sleep me dot com slash crooked to get up to two hundred and fifty five dollars off your chili pad two point zero with code crooked. That's www dot sleep s l e E P dot me slash crooked, free shipping, free returns in a thirty night trial so you can test it out, dream big, and wake up better. The headlines will still be there in the morning. You might as well wake up ready for them.
Speaker 2: Did you see Steve Bannon's comments in Playbook This Morning?
Speaker 4: I AI Steve Bannon would have said that, like I could have told you, I feel that's going to say.
Speaker 2: He's basically said that Republicans ignore or mock the election of DSA candidates and progressive candidates at their peril. He said quote they campaign his anti establishment very smartly. They're not really even campaigning on Trump. He gets a mention, but they're very much like the Tea Party, like old Breitbart, they're going against the democratic establishment. The reason we have a problems is not Trump, it's the people that should be stopping Trump are actually co opted by him. It's very sophisticated and it clearly resonates. What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: I think, I mean it's like an overly facile self servying. I mean, basically what he's saying is like, also, are these people are They're doing exactly what I did ten years ago, fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: And he's like a populist, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean sort of yeah.
Speaker 2: Well no, I think I think with Bannon he's a populist, and that in all the wrong ways and all the like xenophobic, h terrible ways, but he's also a genuine populist on economic stuff that he has like always pushed to actually do populist economic shit, and then Trump has never done it in two tens.
Speaker 4: I think he genuinely believes that populism is the best politics, yes for the Republican Party, that I agree with, which is why he has been so skeptical of big tech. I mean, he takes a lot of money from billionaires for a populist, but his argument was for a populist for MAGA to be a populist working class movement, and he sees Democrats trying to do something similar and being willing to take on their own in order to do it. So I think it's notable.
Speaker 2: On the subject of DSA momentum, I don't know if you saw. Axios had a report on Wednesday that Kamala Harris has quietly been reaching out to Zora on Mamdani, AOC and the leaders of the Uncommitted Movement, indicating that she's making plans potentially for a twenty twenty eight run and perhaps another ideological reinvention. What did you think about that?
Speaker 4: So we are getting more and more evidence that Kamala Harris is seriously thinking about running. If you'd ask me six months ago, I would have bet a fair amount of money that she was not going to run. But she keeps doing things that suggest she's at least seriously thinking about it. You and I have heard lots of rumors of her talking to all kinds of different people in the party. I think if she is running and is being smart about it. There is no path for her to the nomination that does not involve a massive pivot away from Biden's Israel and gos of policy, and so having some conversations about how you would do that and how that would be received by people in the community, particularly when she clearly did not engage with that community enough to fully understand the power of the issue in twenty twenty four, is what you would be doing? Will that work? Will she be able to pull it off?
Speaker 2: That was going to be my next question, how much how much credibility do you think she gets?
Speaker 4: I think it would depend on how she delivers it and how she can if she were to do it. She cannot be She cannot head your words. She cannot worry about Joe Biden's reaction to her words. You cannot worry about whether she's going to anger people in the national security world or the Biden national security team. She has to do what you know what with people around her were saying during the campaign was like this legitimate, very real empathy for the Palestinians and anger at the Israelis that she was never willing to say out loud on the campaign and made a bunch of I think, really tactical mistakes, like in the end, the idea that you couldn't give one slot at the convention to a speaker who would talk about, yeah, about what was going on in Gaza is a just seems so crazy now in hindsight. So it'd have to be to for her to pull it off. It would have to be just as I mean, it have to be with a level of authenticity and visceral emotion and legitimate anger at what happened before, and that you could not miss it. But you can't. You can't focus group, but you can't have your words, you can't worry about jo Biden.
Speaker 2: I also think two other things. You have to own some responsibility around that. It has to be like and not well, I was vice president now, so I wasn't supposed to say anything like a genuine like I was wrong or I made a mistake, or I came to this too late, like ye, And I think that it had like she has to demonstrate that she actually cares about this and it's actually angered her and she's actually regretful for how it was handled, and not that she's doing all the things she needs to do to check the boxes to become the Democratic nominee that the Democratic electorate wants right now, which is like always my concern about her. You know, it's like I want to I want to know if Kamala Harris wants to run again, why she wants to run again and why she wants to be president, And you can already tell like since she lost, since the campaign, she's like trying out a little like, well, I'm sort of an outsider. I've always been an outsider. And it's like, yeah, there's anti established further right now, I'm gonna jump on that train that looks good like. And I'm not saying that this is exactly what she believes, because I don't know, but it could very easily come across like that. And my advice to her would be, what do you actually want to run for president? What do you really believe? What's really angering you about the last four years? Talk about that and if people, you know, if people believe that and people find that persuasive, then you'll be the nominee. And if not, they won't. But like you just don't don't look at the the Democratic electorate as a I got to get all the pieces together and this is what I have to say and do, and if I press all the right buttons, then suddenly I'll get the nomination. You know. I just that's and that goes for any candidate, for sure, But I think she has a particular challenge there.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you something I think is going to you're gonna find perhaps very disturbing and potentially exciting if we follow by the previous the calendars of the previous cycles. One year from right about now will be the first Democratic primary debate.
Speaker 2: Oh, just gutting noticious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it usually happens in the summer of the year prior to the election.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's gonna be so bad. I'm just telling you, I feel like the opening.
Speaker 4: Skirmishes will be with that attitude.
Speaker 2: The opening skirmishes of the Great Democratic War of twenty twenty eight have already begun, and so far they haven't been going well. I'm still I mean, we have just this. This is like the the fucking tip of the iceberg. It is gonna get so it's gonna make twenty twenty look like a fucking field day.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure about that. I'm not sure. I'm not saying it's gonna be great. I'm not saying it's gonna be great. I think the there obviously there have to be points of difference in discussion and debate, and those will be painful because a lot of times people agree on so much that you really are slicing the slammy so thin. To get to that differently, I mean, as it was with the Obama other than the Iraq War, on all the issues with Obama and Clinton, like we agread on a lot of stuff and so like policy stuff, like approach of politics was very different. But on policy stuff, you know, you're fighting over the individual mandate was the main point of dispute point Hilary on that one. Yes, so we'll say we want to talk about this now you have a plan to catch Okay, about the polls, so we'll keep going.
Speaker 2: We'll keep going. Speaking of the fall elections, we are now just four months out from these midterm elections. Forget about the primary debates and our America. Two fifty Gift DAN was a full round of times Sienna Senate polls that were released Wednesday morning, which showed Democrats effectively tied but definitely not ahead in the effort to flip Republican held Senate seats. In Alaska, they have Mary Peltola just two points behind Dan Sullivan and Ohio Shared Brown is down three to John Houstead, and Iowa Josh Turik is two behind Ashley Hinson. In their polls of Maine and Texas released over the last few days, they have Graham Plattner up two points on Susan Collins and James Tallerico and Ken Paxton tied. The only clear leader is Democrat Roy Coop. We're in North Carolina, they have him up seven on Michael Wattley. There were also new Fox News polls out this week that have plattinered down three to Susan Collins and Turk up four on Hinston and Iowa. Any big picture thoughts before we get into some of the specific races.
Speaker 4: These polls are a somewhat painful reality check of just how tough the Senate map is. When you dig into these these you know, as everyone knows, we got a win Maine, we have to win North Carolina. We have to win two of Alaska, Texas, Iowa, Ohio. These are very Republican states. Trump won those four by at least double digits. When you look on the insides of the polls majorities in all those states. I think the Democratic Party is too far on the left. This is a group of people. We think about how.
Speaker 2: Much fifty three percent too far to the left, eight percent too far to the right, thirty five percent neither not great.
Speaker 4: You like we talked about how angry people are at Trump. His approval rating in these states is all pretty good. Like in most cases in the they Republicans lead the generic ballot in all these dates by at least six points. They want Republican control of Senate by at least six points, except in Maine. Let's put maineus in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's which is. We should talk about that because Roy Cooper's doing well. But the generic ballot in North Carolina is also de plus six, I believe, which is crazy.
Speaker 4: North Carolina is performing like a pretty Democratic state in this environment, it's de plus six. They want Democrats control the Senate. It is. I mean, we're people are talking a lot about great work Cooper's doing. He's doing great, he's a great candidate, but he's actually only overperforming the generic ballot by one point. Yes, and a lot of these candidates in the more Republican states are overperforming the Democratic the generic ballot by three to three to eight points in some cases, you know, And so it's it's the point is we have a shot in all of these races, and that is something that you could not have said six to eight months ago. But it is very hard. And it's also other than in Texas, Republicans have actually nominated fine candidates, Ashley Hinson, John Hugh said, are generic Republicans and Dan Sulvan's like maybe a little bit worse than gener Republican, but basically a generic Republican. We have great candidates, but is it going to be enough?
Speaker 2: So this is what I was getting at a little earlier, is my take, my overall take on these polls. And again New York Times polls aren't perfect, but they are as close to perfect as we have. You know, they were off again in twenty twenty four. But like again, the purpose of a poll is not to nail the exact result. I know that might sound shocking, but it's true. It gets you within the ballpark. And in terms of within the ballpark, no one does it better than the New York Times, which is why we take these seriously and dig in on them. So my take overall, if you set all the candidates aside, we have done a great job persuading people, even people in red states, that Donald Trump is doing a terrible job as president. I know you said, like it's forty three percent, that's not a great approval eating in red states, like I would have you know, that's that's pretty bad. And I know now we're getting used to because some of these national polls have them in like the high thirties. We're getting used to that. But like for any forty three is bad. It's enough to lose, right if he was running in those states. We have not done a good job persuading people that the Republicans in Congress are the primary reason that Trump has been able to make their lives worse. That's that's my larger takeaway, because you would think that the Republican I mean and the generic ballot, right, like if you take the candidates out of it, because people want to talk about like this candidate's more strong, stronger, this one's weaker, And if you take all the candidates out of it, you just look at, you know, who do you want to control Congress? You asked that question the voters, which they did. The generic ballot is just very positive for Republicans and most of these red states, even even as Donald Trump's approval rating in those same states is well under fifty percent. And that's why do you think that.
Speaker 4: Is because people don't like Democrats like these All these candidates are doing great, they are, they are out performing.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I want to all like all the candidates in the four red states. I want to put Roy Cooper Platinu aside now, and I'd actually put Texas aside in a little bit here. But in Alaska, Iowa, and Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are exactly that's a good model, that's a good group.
Speaker 4: They they are. These are very Republican states in Iowa, Ohio. The hardest part here is these where Trump has lost ground is mostly with younger voters and Latino voters. And these are very white, very old states. They are whiter than the national average, they are older than the national average. And so there's just less the voters who are leaving Trump and coming to our side. There's just fewer of them in these It's a more statical elector. Alaska's more confusing. Alaska is not actually a white state, but it is not, but it obviously has a very low Latino and black population as a native population, which just is a little bit different. Texas is interesting because Texas is a a majority minority state and has a huge Latino vote, which is why Tallarico is tied in that race.
Speaker 2: So I was surprised in Texas that the generic ballot is still Republican plus six if most of the gains are younger voters and Latino voters, because Texas has plenty of both of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's it's it's six in the state that Trump won by.
Speaker 2: Thirteen Oh, okay, okay, I forgot that he would be that much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in every one of these states, Trump won by at least eleven eleven points.
Speaker 3: Right right, Pod Dave America is brought to you by Wild Alaskan Company. The difference between low and high quality seafood is enormous, but it's also one of those things that's tough to accurately assess while you're in the grocery store. Wild Alaska Company offers the best way to get wild caught, high quality seafood delivered to your door on your schedule. Each while, the Alaskan Box comes with individually portioned filelets, vacuum sealed, easy to prep and great for any meal, no matter how quicker elevated. All fish is quick frozen fresh from the Alaskan waters, which helps lock in freshness, texture, flavor, and key nutrients like O makea threes. It's fish you can trust with no GMOs antibiotics or they're added as every order supports sustainable harvesting and Alaskan fisherman whose history is tied to the region and practice. I love a Wild Lasting Company. It's great.
Speaker 2: You get a box.
Speaker 3: It's frozen, but you know it was frozen fresh, and so you get it. And then when you're ready to have a fish, let's have fish. You take it out, you put in the fridge. It's a frost and the next day, boom at dinner. You can make some great fish. And it's a great, big, great thing to make a part of your routine. I really enjoyed the salmon at a bunch of other fish. Wild Laskan Company is so confident that their fish is the best that they offer a one hundred percent satisfaction and money back guarantee so you can try your first box risk free. Go to Wild Alaskan dot com slash cricket for thirty five dollars off your first order of premium wildcot Seafood. That's Wild Alaskan dot com slash cricket for thirty five dollars off your first order. Thanks to Wild Alaskan Company for sponsoring this episode.
Speaker 2: Let's say on those three Iowa, Alaska, Ohio. One thing on Alaska we should note is that Nate Cohne wrote like a separate thing on why the methodology and the Alaska sample might be a little weird and different, and we're not going to nerd out on that. But the upside is the Alaska results could be actually better than it appears here. Iowa and Ohio I think more fit the issue with just white voters everywhere. But I do think what's notable is we have all of our candidates in those states, like you said, are out running the generic ballot. So the Democrats are viewed the Democratic candidates are viewed as less extreme than the national Party, and they're more liked than average. And the Republican candidates in those states, though are also have a higher favorability rating than average. So I do think in those three states especially so it's Dan Sullivan, John Houstead, and Ashley Hinson who's also in Congress. She's not a senator, but she's a rep I think like there's a lot of there's a lot of work to be done on pinning the last couple of years of Donald Trump on those three incumbents who are in Washington. We are in an anti establishment, anti incumbent mood. Those people have been voting for Trump and voting for and helping Trump one hundred percent, not stopping him. So it feels like there's just a lot of work to be done there is that. Would you agree, Yeah?
Speaker 4: I would. I would say that it's tricky because what are you moving like in doing that? Are you like? The question is interesting?
Speaker 2: You're trying to find in those in those states, and according to this polls, there are a bunch of Trump disapprovers don't like Donald Trump, who are nonetheless inclined to vote for a Republican candidate for Senate. And I think those are the people that you want to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with that. The thing that is the question the generic ballad is interesting in this race. In these races, the question that's more interesting, which kind of lines up the generic ballad, but is who do you want to control the Senate? Right, and we Probamlys have a big advantage on that basically into the generic ballot. It's eleven in Alaska. They didn't ask the generic ballot question in Alaska because there's only one number of congress that they just asked about that race. And that's not I think immediately transferable to the political environment because it's a known quantity right in Nick Begich there. But it you know, that is hard, Like they're going to make the race be about you vote a vote for Mary Potles, a vote to make Chuck Schumer and a bunch of DSA people or whatever in charge of the Senate. And so you need eleven you need eleven percent of them to say no, we will will take Mary Paltle anyway. Like that's hard. I think Ohio is how Ohio is indicative of the larger challenge here, which is Shared Brown has a plus eight favorable rating and a Trump state of the Trump one by eleven. A majority of Ohioans do not think that Shared Brown is too far in the left a But although a majority of Ohioans think the Democratic Party is see for the left, if the goal is to not be a typical Democrat. Shared Brown has fucking nailed it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: He is like he has a relationship with the voters. They like him, they think he's different than the Democrats they.
Speaker 2: Hate, and he hasn't moderated his views on anything. By the way. You feel like he was just at our house doing a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago, and he sounds exactly the same as he has for the last several decades.
Speaker 4: Well, now he's down four. Great, thanks for telling everyone that. But but what's interesting is if you compare the results of this poll to the exit poll of the Ohio Senate race in twenty twenty four, he is doing exactly the same as he was in that race, exactly. His percentage of the white non college vote, which is a majority of the basically half the vote in Ohio, is exactly the same. And he's doing no better than Kamala Harris did essentially nationally with them. But he's getting thirty six percent.
Speaker 2: And what do we do about that?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's this is this is why Ohio is such a hard fucking state. Now, can he convince some like there are places where he can make gains. He can make gains with black voters in that's how you can check out black turnout. He can do better with the younger There are places to get there. But this is why he's down three And this is why these states are so hard, because even though he is well liked, he is not extreme people, he is not getting more votes than he did four years ago. Two years ago. That's a hard part about running Shared around two years later. You're going to need some people who voted for Houston to either stay home or voted for Bernie Marino over Shared round to either change their vote or stay home. And that's not super easy.
Speaker 2: Was the difference is, And this is one of the reasons these poles sort of brought me back down to earth in a serious way. Is two years ago he was running in a presidential electorate where which is obviously going to be harder for a Democrat and to stay like Ohio, I guess I assumed that a midterm electorate would be better for Democrats than it is in these polls. And I always thought that Shared's chance and I still do. The Shared's chance to win this time versus last time is the fact that he's just going to be running in a different electorate where there's fewer non college educated white voters who turn out to vote in the midterm than there are in a presidential.
Speaker 4: Well, the problem is Ohio was an older, white, non college turnout state, and those people voted at a higher rate. And as Nate con pointed out in his analysis of the polls, a lot of the voters who have left Trump don't vote hi mid terms, right, and and that is going to be more true in a state like Ohio, which has it just say like that's interesting. Ohio is just this state that because this seems crazy that people who've only been watching politics for the last couple of presential elections, but prior to that it was the election, the state that decided the presidency and basically every election, and it has been registered and organized within an inch of its life. And one reason why it was felt hard for Obama was we always felt like we could do best in states that had large unregistered populations, potential Democrats North Carolina, Florida, the hisstory that was dream that was dream about Texas over the years, and Ohio just had there were no there were no new votes to get. Yeah, young people were leaving, and so it's it is a it's a hard it's a hard state. Can he still win it, Absolutely he can. But I think it just speaks to how like why this is hard. It's doable, It's doable in all these states. But these are horror states.
Speaker 2: And by the way, it's why North Carolina and Texas are states that not just this cycle, but many cycles into the future. Democrats just have to win at some points because you don't run into the same older white voters and no new voters issue in those states because so many people have been moving to them over the last decade. They're becoming more diverse there, becoming younger, and so on paper, they should be states that Democrats have a better chance in than places like Ohio and Iowa long term. Long term, I am interested in why the generic ballot in North Carolina is so good.
Speaker 4: Well, it is thinking about this way. It's a state that Trump won by two points. I think I think two points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very close.
Speaker 4: He barely only he want to buy less than a point in twenty twenty. And so if you think that the generic ballot is plus seven or eight nationally, that it kind of gets you to a plus sex.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and so there's and that's Roy Cooper. There is just you know, he's just trucking through and not really getting any national attention and the race is kind of quiet and it's benefiting him. That's it's probably a state where getting attention is a bad thing.
Speaker 4: Well, he doesn't need attention because he has high name my date. Voters like him, right, right, so he does not need to be doing tech talk dances.
Speaker 2: And then before we get to Maine, because Texas is sort of the opposite issue, which is I do think in Texas, obviously James Hillary goes a strong candidate. We've talked about that a lot, and there's been a shift in the ballot, the generic ballot in Texas. But I think it's fair to say that Ken Paxton as the candidate and his his problems and issues are are hurting him in these polls.
Speaker 4: Yes, he people, it's a little bit like uh, Maine.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's why, Yeah, that's what.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely hurting him. What is interesting is I find this impossible to believe, and it may be the factory that ends linear political television advertising forever, which is the Texas primary was the most expensive primary in history, ungodly amounts of money were spent by John Cornyn and Cornyn super PACs. Most of that money was spent by the Corny inside telling people about what a corrupt dickhead Ken Paxon is an Only thirty eight percent of voters to that report hearing a lot about it.
Speaker 2: And yet when you go to Maine, most voters have heard about Grand Platner stuff.
Speaker 4: Nearly nine in ten voters have heard about Grand platter stuff.
Speaker 2: Now, part of this is Maine is a smaller state, much smaller state, And I think it's word travels fast there and people know and and I think that you know, there's opportunities there as well for platinir. But I think it does say something about the sort of the gap between when there's a right wing boogeyman and a left wing boogeyman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it is. It's the thing is is that there was the entire Republican Party infrastructure was spend one hundreds of millions of dollars. Who tell people this about Ken Paxson and people still haven't heard it. Yeah, so maybe they were doing it in the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I think it's TV stuff it's like an online like. We weren't talking about all of Ken Paxton's problems until it was, you know, time to vote. It just didn't. It didn't break through in the last year the way that Grand Platter stuff broke through. Let's talk about Maine. So Democratic Party machineries getting behind Platner grudgingly or otherwise. The Senate focused pack majority forward is that with their first attack at on Susan Collins. Let's take a look and then we'll talk about the polling.
Speaker 7: There thirty years live in the Washington, DC. Lifestyle changes people getting rich from insider training should be illegal, but Susan Collins doesn't think so. Susan Collins is trying to keep it so senators can get rich play in the stock market. They're making millions of dollars. Well, we can't even afford groceries and gas. We need to tell Susan Collins to stop the congressional stock trading.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you think of that ad? What do you think that message? And then your take on the polling in Maine.
Speaker 4: I want you to do an Oscar style music. Play me off the stage if you have to catch a flight, because I honestly could talk about all, honest, all these poles for five straight hours. I could do a podcast on every one of the poles.
Speaker 2: Think I'm good. It is about an hour to lax. I should make it.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, just don't let me miss your flight because I will never hear the end of it from your wife. So she will know, now, yes, yes, she will know. I don't think she listens to this podcast. That's right?
Speaker 2: What am I talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my wife might tell her.
Speaker 2: That's part. That is.
Speaker 4: So the logic of that ad, because it's always like you look at the as like this ad sucks or the message strategy of this ads bad. Then you remember there are very smart people with a ton of data that you and I don't have, who make these decisions. So I imagine the strategy of this ad is to say, you have a lot of people who voted for Susan Collins in twenty twenty and in previous elections, like Susan Collins overperformed. She won by nine when Biden was winning Maine by almost nine, so like a seventeen eighteen point o fourth into this is a stunning stat. In two thousand and eight, she won by twenty three points when Obama was winning Maine by seventeen. Wow, she's overperformed by forty points. So you've got a lot of people who voted for Susan Collins. So one way to do this is that you want to create a permission structure to them to say I did this thing before she's changed. So that's the argument. But if you look at the New York Times poll, and it's one poll, and it's a public poll, that seems like a bad strategy because in this poll, two thirds of voters think that Susan Collins has good character in morals. So it seems hard you're gonna convince even a lot of people. I v he a grand plant, and I think Susan Collins is a good person, and so it seems harder you're gonna covince them all of a sudden that she is corrupt. And it seems to me your better argument is to look at the fact that by a margin, if I think twelve points have been left on my head Democrats people vote. People in Maine want the Democrats control the Senate, and so there should never be an ad run that is not Susan Collins standing in the Oval office holding that maga Hat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's probably the more potent argument, right, yeah, Magahatt. Also, I think that's why, and you see Plattner was doing this in his primary night speech and elsewhere. The Brett Kavanaugh vote feels like a potent attack on her because it is a place where she was basically, you know, I'm doing what Trump wants me to do, and it's going to be fine, and then it's not fine. And that's probably an easier argument than this person that has that you think has brought home federal money to the state and has good characters. Actually a crook.
Speaker 4: In that in the in the poll fifty seven percent of independence and a majority of all manors, which I believe is the appropriate term. Think that Susan Collins will be too supportive of Donald Trump. Yeah, like that that is like there is a there is a world for the Platiner campaign that existed a year ago with none of these revelations. I think that's happened where it's like we are run. We are running a campaign to change American politics, reshape the coalitions. This pole suggested that those days are over, although there are some places where Planter is doing better than Surre Gideon did, which is why he's winning. You lost by nine points.
Speaker 2: And also why comparing this pole to the twenty twenty poles of where Sarah Gideon was at this point is not a great idea since those poles were all wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That that drives me insane that you cannot even Nate come and say that pole was very very of course, which you can. The best thing you compare it to is the twenty twenty exit poles, because they actually exit polled this race in twenty twenty. And Graham platt if you look at that, Graham Platner is doing exactly the one point better than Sarah Gideon did with white working class farts, which in Maine, where ninety eight percent of the voters are white, I believe is just working class voters. So and basically the same number that Kamala Harris did in twenty twenty four with white with working class white voters according to Catalyst data, where he is doing better, which is why he is winning and Sarah Gideon was losing by a lot. Is he's doing much better with young voters, and he's doing better with men. Yeah, the challenge the reason why he's not up by more is pretty simple. Susan Collins is getting ten percent of Kamala Harris voters, although Platner, to his credit, is getting four percent.
Speaker 2: Older white women, which is exactly what Ron Brinstein has been saying and said on this pod that his biggest concern is.
Speaker 4: Like I know, we all want it, like I will stipulate that Graham Platner is being weighed down in some way, shape or form by the things that have come out like that. That is definitely true. He is underperforming. All these other Democrats arebot are overperformed the generic ballot. He's underperforming it by eight points, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because that's right, it's eleven, right, it's eleven, so it's nine points.
Speaker 4: He's underperformant nine points. That is significant. Now, the idea that we were going to be Susan Collins by ten points or even five points, I think is probably was fancible because there's definitely some grand plan underperformance. There is no question, I'm not disputing it. There's definitely Susan Collins overperformance too.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, and also because you would like his his approval is forty five to fifty, which isn't great but is not it's not horrible, right, you can win at forty five percent approval, which is just look at Donald Trump and hers is forty eight to fifty one. Hers was much Yeah, I was less surprised, Actually, I was surprised by both of them. I thought that his favorability might be worse after everything, and then I thought hers would. But I thought hers would be worse forty eight fifty one. This seems quite good if if you're an incumbent in an anti incumbent wave and you've been there forever in yours oldest Susan Collins's like that, that's surprised me.
Speaker 4: There is this misreading of the polls where like they ask people not to compare Platiner in Collins on characters and morals. They just ask them if having good characters or good morals, subscribe them. So Susan Collins says, these incredible numbers on you know, in the sixties on character and morals, and Platner seems like his numbers are much lower, but they're still in the mid forties. Yeah, so he's getting forty percent of the vote. So there's like four percent of people who are voting for who don't think Platner necessarily has great character of morals and are voting for him anyway. There are eighteen percent of people in some cases who think that Susan Collins is a good person are voting against her anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I will also say that both Susan Collins and Graham Platner are more popular in this poll then Janet Mills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the This is the other takeaway, Like, is it possible that like a John Baldacci or a Hannah Pingree if they had run as a generic Democrat would be doing better than Grand Platiner?
Speaker 2: Probably maybe, maybe even probably maybe even probably they chose not to.
Speaker 4: They chose not to in some cases, were some of these cancer were encouraged not to by Chuck Schumer accorney some reports. But the idea that this poll has a fair amount of evidence that Janet Mills would be doing worse than Grand Platner, certainly not better than Grand Planter. And the bigger thing is not just her favorability ring that's somewhat draged down by Platiner people who don't like her. The bigger issue is that eight more than eight and ten main voters think the main economy is bad.
Speaker 2: I know those numbers, and.
Speaker 4: When the economy is a number one issue in the election, she like she actually would be someone who was being like it would be as much a referendum on her as opposed a referender on the Trump economy, and so that would be a very very tough order.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I think, look clear, all of the revelations about Platner have heard him, and he has a lot of work to do. I don't think anything in this poll shows that, like what's happened is fatal. I'm very concerned if other revelations come out. Yes, yes, yes, yes, for sure. I do think if these because then some people will argue, well, the Republicans haven't even spent all their money yet making sure that everyone knows about everything that's come out already. On that, I would say, like most of the voters in this poll, what eighty percent have heard about his problems and his issues, So like, I don't know that there's much more education to do on that front. I think what their hope has to be is that there's more stuff coming out on the Republican side that they can that they can use.
Speaker 4: The thing that I worry more than the character and stuff and the moral stuff is that Platinum is seen as more extreme Susan Collins. Yeah, and that's where I think that's the ads I think are more would be more concerning. Yes, Susan Collins very much of a do not think she's extreme?
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and it's going to be that's not pushing on an open door on that. It is. It's much easier to say, like, oh, well she's just just look at the record. She goes along with Trump, and you don't like Trump, here you go.
Speaker 4: Just vote for sus and Collins is a vote for Donald Trump. Senate VOTs and Collins, the vote to confirm another Trump Supreme Courts. The vote for versus and Collins is Trump Trump. Just it's like it's not that complicated. It should just be everything, like, do not overthink this people. Yeah, like you need a bunch of people who want the Democrats control the Senate to overgrand platform. But if you do that, you will win.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, that's our show for today. Everyone have a happy fourth and a great holiday weekend. Tommy and Love It will be back with a new show on Tuesday, and I'll be back a week from tuesday.
Speaker 4: Bye everyone, by everyone, have a Great Fourth Pod.
Speaker 2: Dave America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna, Roberts, and Faris Safari, with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt to Grote, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landisk, Carol pel Avive, David Toles, miak Elman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East