Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: So in the short term, Mars is really about getting the spaceship build.
Speaker 2: We're making good progress on this on.
Speaker 1: The on the ship and the booster.
Speaker 2: Code named b f R. Yeah, what what is this tand for? Again, well, it's a bit of it.
Speaker 1: It's like sort of a R in acronym form and.
Speaker 2: But it is very big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I gave a presentation on this at the International Astionalautical of Congress in Australia last year, and that design is evolving rapidly.
Speaker 2: We're actually building.
Speaker 1: That hip, that ship right now. The I think right now that like the biggest thing that would be helpful is just general support and encouragement and good good will. I think once we build it, there will be well we'll have a sort of a point of proof something that other companies and countries can then go and do. Like they currently don't think it's possible, So if we show them that it is, then I think they will they will up their game and they will build interplanetary transport vehicles as well. Now, once once that has been built and there is a there's a means of getting cargo and people turned from Mars as well as turn from the Moon and other places on the Solar system. Then I think that's that's really where that there's a permit, this amount of entrepreneurial, entrepreneurial resources that are needed because you've got to build out the entire base of industry, everything that allows human civilization to exist. And it's going to be harder, a lot harder in a place like Mars or the Moon.
Speaker 2: We're going need to volunteers to be colonists. Do we have any colonists volunteers here for more? Actually?
Speaker 1: Not many hands raised by the way. I mean, the Moon of Marles often thought of as like is this some escape escape hatchable rich people, But it won't.
Speaker 2: Be that at all.
Speaker 1: It's in anyone who put for the early people that go to go to Mars, it'll be far more dangerous. I mean really, it's it kind of reads like Shackleton's ad for Antarctic explorers.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like.
Speaker 1: Difficult, dangerous, good chance you will die. Yeah, excitement for those who survive that kind of thing. And I think there's not many people who actually want to go in the beginning, because all those things I said are true. But there will be some who who will for for whom the excitement of the frontier and exploration exceeds the concern of danger.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: And then we'll start off building the post elementary infrastructure, just a base to create propellant, a power station, ah blast domes in which to grow crops, all of the sort of fundamentals without which you cannot survive. And then and then really there's going to be an explosion of entrepreneurial opportunity because Mars will need everything from iron founderies to pizza joint, two nightclubs. I think Mars should really have great bars, the Mars bar.
Speaker 2: Sor right like I would. I love dad jokes, I'm dad, what do you think the timeline for this is?
Speaker 1: So I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the timeline, although I'm I can be a little sometimes My timelines are a little you know, people have told me that my timelines historically have been optimistic, and so I'm trying to recalibrate to some degree here. But I can tell you what what I know currently is the case is that we're we are building the first ship, the first Mars or or interplanetary ship right now, and I think we'll be able to do short flights, short sort of up and down flights, probably sometime in the first half of next year.
Speaker 2: And this is this is a very big booster and ship. The liftoff thrust.
Speaker 1: Of this would be about twice out of a seven and five, So it's a it's capable of doing one hundred and fifty metric funds to orbit and be fully reusable, so that the expendable payload is round round double that number.
Speaker 2: So what it will.
Speaker 1: What's amazing about the ship, assuming we can make well and will and rapid reusability work, is that we can reduce the cost module cost per flight dramatically by orders of magnitude compared to where it is today. This this, this question of reusability is so fundamental to rock Tree. It is the it is the fundment, fundamental breakthrough that's need. If you consider aircraft, for example, the you can lease a seven forty seven and do a return flight from bull of Cargo from California to Australia for half a million dollars. That's what it costs to lease a seven forty seven fully around trip to Australia, which is far.
Speaker 2: To buy a single engine.
Speaker 1: Turboprop plane, a good one would would be about one and a half million dollars, and that can't even reach Australia, and it's and it's tiny compared to seven forty seven.
Speaker 2: So what that means is like a it.
Speaker 1: Costs less to to take it to use a giant plane with a huge cargo for a long trip, then that costs way less than buying a small.
Speaker 2: Plane for a short trip.
Speaker 1: In the aircraft world, and the same actually is true of rockbry The the the a beer for a flight will actually cost less than our Falcon one flight back in the day, So that was about a five or six million dollar marginal cost per flight. You're confident that BFR will be less than that. So that that that's profound, and that is what will enable the creation of a permanent based on the Moon, any city on Mars. And that's the equivalent of like the Union Pacific Railroad, or or having ships that cross across the oceans. Until you can get there, there's no way for all of the entrepreneurial energy too, so you can't you can't do anything, there's no way for all the flowers to bloom. Once you can get there, the opportunity is immense, and so we're going to do our best to get you there, and then make sure that there's an environment in which entrepreneurs can flourish, and and and then I think it will be it'll be amazing, absolutely