Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just get right to it. Tons to get to today here at noon?
Speaker 3: What else going for? What's happening?
Speaker 1: Ramesh Show? The Swashkamar We s Wash Kamar We Well we'll all learn how to pronounce his name when it becomes a household one. Ramesh V Swashkamar the only known survivor of the two hundred and forty two people on board that Air India plane that crashed today. He had been sitting near an emergency exit in seat eleven A. This flight was headed to London. Speaking from his hospital bed, he is forty. He is married with a child. He told the media. He is a British national. He was traveling to Britain with his brother after they were visiting family in India. Here's the quote. When I got up, there were bodies all around me. I was scared. I stood up and ran. There were pieces of the plane all around me. Someone grabbed a hold of me, put me in an ambulance and brought me to the hospital.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Of the two hundred and forty plus people on the plane. He's the sole survivor.
Speaker 1: Social media footage shows him shortly after the crash. He's in a bloodstained white T shirt, dark pants, limping on a street, helped by a medic. He's got bruises on his face, a goatee beard as well. Not that any of that's relevant, but just to get a visual on the guy. He doesn't look near death at all, I guess is what's relevant. He is the only survivor, most of the bodies charred beyond recognition, and he is walking and talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: The Indian Home Minister actually said that he met with him at the hospital.
Speaker 3: That plane was bound for London.
Speaker 4: It had just taken off with more than two hundred and forty people on board and it went down, they said, in a college hostel at a medical campus. So there are several dead on the ground as well. I think two ninety was the last number I saw.
Speaker 1: A local police chief says that this guy was near an emergency exit as you as I mentioned earlier, when you look at the layout of the Boeing seven eight seven Dreamliner. By the way, this is the first crash since these things rolled up the assembly line in twenty eleven. When you look at the layout of this particular plane, in the business class, the first seats first class, business class whatever it is, it's a two to two two, and then there's a galley, and then there's Economy, which is a three three three configuration, and he is seated in the first row past the galley in Economy at eleven at the window. A local police officer there says that this guy was able to jump out of the emergency door, which would have been right in front of him, in between business class and Economy class where he was seated. Don't know when he jumped out the emergency door, if it was on impact, if it was before unclear. This guy will be interviewed by everybody and then some so we will get more information from him.
Speaker 4: The protests over federal immigration enforcement raids continue to grow.
Speaker 3: They have grown nationwide.
Speaker 4: Many of them have resulted in dozens of arrests in many cases. Christy Noham's Secretary of Homeland Security, was just at the federal building in Westwood giving a news conference update from her angle about how things have been going. She was interrupted by Senator Alex Padilla and Alex Padilla was then escorted out of the room. There are a series of microphones that are set up outside the Federal building down in Westwood, and the expectation is that the Senator is going to speak. We're also expecting to hear from Secretary Noam as well, because she said she was willing to talk to him about what was what his concerns were, why he was yelling in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of her news conference in the first place.
Speaker 1: Other things are going on. Thirteen vehicles swept away and flooding in San Antonio. You may have heard about this. Four dead right now, three missing, just terrifying flooding that began around five am there in San Antonio. They recovered ten people from vehicles, but it happened at a moment's notice, as you can imagine.
Speaker 4: There are reports that there are plans for Israel to attack Iran, and in that place, I'm sorry, in that space, there could be some military involvement from the United States, although at this point Israel is supposedly going to act alone, has said to be preparing a strike Iran if the United States efforts at diplomacy don't work out. On Sunday, there is an expectation that United States leaders are meeting with Iranian leaders. I believe in oman and if that doesn't materialize, or that doesn't end in some sort of an agreement with Iran, then Israel is expected to make a move. The White House Envoy Steve Whitcoff has privately been warning top Senate Republicans that Iran could unleash a mass casualty response if Israel does bomb their nuclear facilities, which would be the target of all of this.
Speaker 1: Well, if you want to return to the hype over Jackie and Shadow, and there are little girls who have left the nest and are learning currently, I believe how to hunt.
Speaker 2: I got to get an update from Amy King.
Speaker 1: Then you will be interested to know that there is a Eglet fan party, a Jackie and Shadow fan party. It's going to be the Heart at the Heart of Big Bear Village June twenty first and twenty second, from two to three pm.
Speaker 2: It is free. You should register for all activities.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the activities are going to be, but hey, if you're into it, you.
Speaker 2: Look it up, you do the leg work there.
Speaker 5: You do it.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the Giants at Dodger Stadium, first pitch at seven o'clock. Going to be a beautiful night. Listen to all Dodgers games on AM five seventy LA Sports live from the Galvin Motors Broadcast Booth. Stream all Dodgers games in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: They could be tied for first place by tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exciting.
Speaker 4: Ths you're playing right now and they're only half a game back. Republicans beat the Democrats eleven to two in the Congressional baseball game last night.
Speaker 3: Did you watch any of it?
Speaker 2: Shocking? But no I did not. Just finishing up Ginny and Georgia. Oh what's happening? Brought to you by Trade and Well.
Speaker 4: Trade in Wealth will help you set and achieve your financial goals for retirement.
Speaker 1: Your local trusted financial fiduciary trajanwealth dot Com.
Speaker 3: All right, more garyan Shannon when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: The pushing and the shoving, the man handling that went on of a US Senator Alex Pidia at the FBI headquarters as Christynome the Department of Homeland Security secretary was giving a briefing on how they're just not backing down. They're going to arrest people here illegally. Yes, they're going to go after the worst of the worst first. But if you're here illegally, then that's a problem too. Unequivocal is how this administration and it's spokespeople have been handling those questions of well, it should people at the Home Depot be worried? Yeah, it has been their answer pretty much. But I will say this, as that footage makes its way.
Speaker 2: Around the.
Speaker 1: Internet and everywhere else with Alex Padia being You've got a US senator face down on the floor of the hallway being handcuffed. It looks awful. You're going to see a lot of those. This is what Donald Trump wants to do, you know.
Speaker 3: All of it.
Speaker 1: I will say this about that facility because I've been there many times. You do not play at the FBI headquarters in Westwood.
Speaker 3: They don't care what day, and you're wearing on your on your lapel.
Speaker 2: Raise your voice, you're tackled.
Speaker 1: That is the That is the most the strictest facility I've ever been inside. They monitor you the whole time you are there. It is a very buttoned up facility. There are agents there all the time to make things, make sure things are in order, You're where you're supposed to be. There is no sort of unrest whatsoever. They do not play at that build, They don't play at that park lot.
Speaker 4: And that's not a political stance taken by the FBI or the federal agency are there.
Speaker 3: That's just the way it's always.
Speaker 2: No matter what administration.
Speaker 3: They don't care who the I mean they care.
Speaker 4: They may care whose pictures up on the wall, but that does not change the way they enforce the rules at the federal courtouse.
Speaker 2: Just a side note, just a side note.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So the update, by the way for what's going on on the court side of all of this is that the judge, the district court judge up in San Francisco, turned down Governor Newsom's request for an emergency restraining order and then set a hearing for today, which is supposed to take place in an hour or so. The California side obviously asked for the temporary restraining order with a judicial decree that orders a full withdrawal. I don't know if that's ever happened. I mean, we're breaking a lot of new ground here in the last several months. I guess we could say, in terms of an administration who has then had its policies challenged in court on a regular basis, this is one of the larger ones that we would have. So the idea of a full withdrawal of National Guard troops and marines out of LA would be pretty extraordinary. But then again, the president went around the governor's authority and nationalized the National Guard in order to put them on the streets of LA so that also was an extraordinary move. Now again, Charles Bryer, the judge in this case, is the younger brother of Stephen Bryer, doesn't really mean anything. He was appointed by President Clinton, which may mean something. Instead, we might have to define the parameters of what is the acceptable troop activity in what has been sort of a murky mission for those uh, for the National Guard troops, et cetera, over the course of the last few days. Christine Noa, I'm gonna see if I can pull this up. Christy Noam is now speaking outside of the Federal building down in West.
Speaker 1: We're also waiting for Padilla to make comments as well at all.
Speaker 2: But the conversation was great and we're going to continue to communicate. We exchanged phone numbers and we're going to continue to.
Speaker 5: Talk on weekend. Why was that the action you decided to take shape?
Speaker 2: I'll let the law enforcement speak to how this situation was handled.
Speaker 1: I will say that it's people need to identify themselves before they started lunging at people that die during Chriss conference.
Speaker 7: Is it appropriate?
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: So that was again Secretary Christy noam outside and then looks like Alex Badilla.
Speaker 3: Is now on his way to the He's there.
Speaker 2: You see if I can speaking outside, I don't.
Speaker 4: Have the exact same Mine is on a little bit of a delay. So but we'll there we go. Here he comes to the podium. Senator Alex Badia again escorted out of the news conference with Christy Nohan from a little bit earlier today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you've got to go ahead, Thanks time, guys aside you're right here already.
Speaker 5: Well, good afternoon, everybody, Well, good after and everybody, Senator Alex by the end, uh, you guys have some questions, I'm going to read a brief statement. I will have to taking questions, but allow me to read my statements.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm here in Los Angeles today. Uh. And I was here in the Federal Building in the conference room awaiting a scheduled briefing from Federal.
Speaker 3: I took control, went solo.
Speaker 4: And I'm getting this ide to full disclosure, getting on of off of the YouTube feed.
Speaker 5: An accountability to know information. While I was waiting for the briefing with General Guillot, I learned that Secretary of NOME was having a press conference a couple of doors down the hole.
Speaker 7: Since the beginning of the year, but especially over the course of the last over the course of recent weeks, I several of my collamus have been asking the Department of Homeland.
Speaker 5: Security for more information and more answers are on their increasingly extreme immigration enforcement actions. And we've gotten little to no information in response to our inquiries. And so I came to the press conference to hear what she had to say, to see if I could learn any additional information. And I won't point. I had a question, and I'm emphasized, just as we emphasize the right for people to peacefully protest and to stand up for their First Amendment rights, for our fundamental rights, I was there peacefully. I won't put I had a question, and so I began to ask a question. I was almost immediately forcibly removed from the room. I was forced to the ground, and I was handcuffed. I was not arrested, I was not detained. I will say this, If this is how this administration responds to a senator with a question, if this is how the Apartment Homeland Security responds to a senator with a question, you can only imagine.
Speaker 8: What they're doing to farm workers, to cuts, two day labors out in the Los Angeles community and throughout California and throughout the country. We will hold this administration accountable. Good sure, and we'll have more to say. We'll have more to say in the coming days.
Speaker 1: Let me say just briefly in Okay, we'll cut away from this. We'll monitor the questions. He knew, you know, I know, everyone knows. It was a political stunt. This wasn't just he was having a briefing two doors down. Oh Christy Noomes too, Oh she's having press commerce. It wasn't a polite question, It wasn't during the Q and A portion. It was interrupting her initial statement, and it was repeated interruptions. He knew what he was doing and it was furthering a political cause, and he did that, And good for you in.
Speaker 2: Your political future.
Speaker 1: You get to use this footage forever and guess what people are going to be leave you put your your your balls where your mouth is.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, you know what I mean when I say that.
Speaker 1: Right, So, he actually showed some political fortitude with showing up there and getting carted out of their man handled in the hallway, put face down, handcuffed, the whole bit. Absolutely, he put himself out there, and that is admirable for his cause. But to just pretend that this was like a I just happened to be there and I asked a question.
Speaker 2: You interrupt ste the cabinet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you didn't run into her in a break room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you knew that there were going to be a dozen cameras there, and there were going to be two dozen.
Speaker 3: You're what you were doing.
Speaker 2: We all know what you were doing. All right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll take a break for news, We'll monitor the questions and come back. Sorry for that turner phrase, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm sure we'll sure, we'll edit it all out. I'll just put that on the weekend. Yes, I'm sure.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 4: A lot going on in the last hour or so eight minutes ago too. I'm going to let you handle the words. You want me to do it now for the rest of the day. I've got your money where your mouth is, right, But it didn't sound right. We're talking about having balls. Earlier, Gavin Newsome lacking said balls, where are his balls in this fight? Kind of line of thought, And I was trying to show that Padilla is.
Speaker 2: Showing his.
Speaker 1: Muscle when it comes to showing that he cares about this issue where Gavin Newsom has kind of failed. He stepped up and put his money where his mouth is. But in that that's where my head was at right.
Speaker 4: And now that you've said it, we can go back and actually clip that piece and edit it over.
Speaker 3: The other malapropism that you used.
Speaker 4: Senator Alex pd was forcibly removed by Secret Service during a news conference today. Department of Full Land Security Secretary Christ's Department of fualand Security Secretary Christy Noam was doing this news conference at the Federal Building over in Westwood. Now Senator Padia came out a few minutes later said I wasn't arrested, I wasn't detained, but I was handcuffed. He was actually forced to the ground by at least three agents that were the officers that were working there. He said he was in the Federal Building in Westwood to receive a briefing with the commander of United States Northern Command that update would probably pertain to the Marines that have been deployed, and was apparently listening to Christy Nooam's press conference when he walked in and tried to ask a question, according to a spokesperson from his office, We heard from Secretary Noam afterwards as well, and she said that she has spoken to him to Senator Padilla, that they did exchange phone numbers, and she basically said, anytime you want to call me, I'll answer the phone and explain what's going on.
Speaker 3: So that's where we stand with that.
Speaker 4: It has already, by the way, made its way to the floor.
Speaker 3: Of the Senate.
Speaker 4: They're in session today and you're going to see a lot of a lot of other senators in their August body decrying the violence against a sitting US senator reminder, all of those politicians are servants of the people.
Speaker 3: We do not serve the politicians.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get to this just for a break, and it's not much of a break. But now we've had hours for aviation experts to comb through the footage of that plane crash, the Boeing seven eight seven Dreamliner that was leaving India heading for London, killing everyone save one passengers and seated in eleven a who survived the crash marak ulous lee and we will get the full story there, make no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it.
Speaker 1: But it is odd footage in that the plane is seen taking off.
Speaker 2: And failing to rise.
Speaker 1: Essentially, there have been some early hypotheses when it comes to what went wrong, improper maintenance, bird strikes pilot air They say that early hypotheses off and ruled out during the lengthy technical crash investigations. The questions that former investigators at the NTSB have brought up as did they properly configure the airplane when it took off? That was one of the early questions that we talked about.
Speaker 2: At the top of the show.
Speaker 1: You had read an expert saying where the flaps activated?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll play that That was Ken Christensen, a former pilot who became a crash investigator, and said, again, we don't have a lot of information other than the visuals that we had from the video.
Speaker 9: Something that I saw one of the videos I was concerning was that the gear were down, but the flaps were not deployed. So when you take off, do you need flaps or additional lift and the plane will lift off the ground, but then shortly after that it will settle in if the flaps aren't configured. Because of a very modern airplane, the airplane would be talking to you and giving you warnings that you flaps.
Speaker 3: Were not configured.
Speaker 9: So I would have really imagined that a crew wouldn't depart with the flaps not configured. But maybe shortly after takeoff the flaps retracted, or the crews retracted to flaps prematurely, or there was a mechanical error. But it looks like whether the plane lot was losing power and or the flaps weren't deployed, and that is.
Speaker 1: What it appears to me, that the plane was losing power. Fuel contamination is another issue that's been raised. Fuel starvation where both engines weren't getting fuel would have caused a loss of thrust on both engines as well. The other consideration, they say is heat, the weather topping one hundred degrees in the city from which the plane departed. They said high temperatures make takeoffs more difficult because engines produce less thrust. Warm air is less dns, making it harder for the airplane to generate lyft. But that seems silly. This is a plane that's only been in service eleven or twelve years. It Dreamliner knew, like I said, first crash of a Dreamliner. They were put in service in twenty eleven. Bird strikes again were was another one of the early hypotheses. So we will wait and see, obviously, as the as I mentioned, lengthy investigation takes place.
Speaker 4: All right up next, let's wrap up what has been a pretty eventful day, shall we?
Speaker 1: In fact just reading further just to put a bow on it. Because the flap issue. There was a nineteen eighty seven crash. This was Northwest Airlines Flight two fifty five, a crash in Michigan, if you remember, and that one crash after the pilot the planes pilots failed to extend the wing flaps and the slats for takeoff. So after that one lifted off, the plane rolled a little to the left and the right, then hit light poles in a rental car building before crashing, killing all but one person on board seriously yep. And several people on the ground killed as well, just like in this one. But they say that that's definitely an issue that remains on the table.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: That was a long That was quite a day.
Speaker 2: It was a long day, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: I mean it would buy quickly, but it just seemed like there was something new every two seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The biggest international story today, of course, was this Air India crash and Air India passenger plane that had been bound for London, two hundred and forty two people on board, crashed into a medical college there in India just after takeoff in the northwestern Indian city of Ahmedabad. They said this is going to go down as one of the worst airline disasters in Indian history.
Speaker 3: There was one survivor on the plane and.
Speaker 2: He walked away.
Speaker 1: His name is Viswashed Kamar, Remesh Remash and Viswash Kamar. And not only yeah, did he survive. He walked away non life threatening issues. Doctor who checked him out said he seems to be out of danger. He's disoriented, multiple injuries all over his body, but for a crash where most of what's left of the body is just burned beyond recognition, it is remarkable.
Speaker 2: It's a miracle. It is a miracle. He was seated in eleven.
Speaker 1: A, which is the first row of I guess you would call it economy after the first class or business class section. The two sections are separated by a galley which includes an emergency door. At least one account from a police official on the ground says he got out of the emergency door that would have been right next to his seat there in between business class and Economy. Don't know when he was able to get out of the plane. If it was, I don't know. I don't know, because you can see it taking off, the noses up and then it's descending and it's right into that right into that college there. They said it barely cleared the rooftops as it was trying to ascend. You know, when the plane takes off, and my husband says it all the time, get up there, get up there, and you're rising to hear that familiar ten thousand foot ding.
Speaker 2: It couldn't get up there.
Speaker 1: It just seemed to have stalled out at whatever thousand feet that was. And you can't tell from the vantage point of the video.
Speaker 4: It didn't seem that it was even a thousand feet. It was maybe a couple hundred right, looked like.
Speaker 2: And it's that massive seven eight seven Dreamliner too.
Speaker 4: By the way, that you mentioned the Boeing seven eight seven Dreamliner wide body twin engine. This is the first crash ever of a Boeing seven eighty seven airplane, according to the Aviation Safety Network database.
Speaker 1: He called somebody the survivor right after the crash apparently had his phone on him well.
Speaker 4: I mentioned there was an image I saw of a folded I mean a good old fashioned plane ticket that had his name on it, the date, the flight number and everything that had been folded in half.
Speaker 3: Apparently had it on his body as well.
Speaker 2: He talked to Sky News about it.
Speaker 1: He was traveling with his brother, by the way, both live in London, or went to India to see family or flying back home.
Speaker 2: He called his dad.
Speaker 1: He video called his dad as he crashed and said, oh, the planes crashed I don't know where my brother is. I don't see any other passengers. I don't know how I'm alive of how I exited the plane. That he was in shock, as you can imagine for that whole thing, And it's wild how the body and the mind react to something like that in shock getting you out of that plane, or just not remembering the fact that he had the thought to call his father.
Speaker 2: All of it.
Speaker 4: There will be, like we said, this was on its way to London, right after it had taken off, there will be special prayers offered at Hindu temples around London because many of the people.
Speaker 3: Live there or were visiting.
Speaker 4: The survivor that we've been talking about was one of fifty three Britons who were on board. There was a Canadian, there were seven Portuguese. The rest were all Indian by nationality.
Speaker 1: Another medic on the ground says that the survivor told him that immediately after the plane took off, it began descending and he says, suddenly split into two, throwing him out filed by, followed by a loud explosion, and that he told the medic he found himself next to debris and walked to the nearby ambulance that took him to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Again, all very preliminary reports.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm gobbling up every information, every piece of information, because how does that happen where there's a survivor from this.
Speaker 2: It's just it's a miracle.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 3: John's gonna have all of the latest.
Speaker 4: Obviously, what's been going on locally with immigration enforcement operations, the Senator Alex Padilla being escorted a forcibly out of a news conference with the Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Curfew is still coming up, the.
Speaker 4: Hearing that's still going on up in San Francisco between the military deployment for the streets of.
Speaker 3: La What a day.
Speaker 2: We'll see you tomorrow. Stay dry, everybody, blessings.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on kfi A six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.