Speaker 1: Happy hump Day and welcome in. It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News on news Radio eight forty. Whas Coffee and Company with you. I'm Nick Coffee. Appreciate you hanging out with us. So the latest on the shooter in Manhattan on Monday that was there to seemingly, I mean, I guess we'll never know the extent of what this individual was wanting to do. However, we do know that there was another note found on this not on this individual. The note they found on him was the note that he referenced that he had CTE and was coming for the NFL. I'm paraphrasing to an extent, but anyways, the note that they found at as Las Vegas home did it wasn't anything about the situation that he clearly set out to do what he did, but it was just, I guess, an apology letter to his parents. But the NFL has confirmed that one of their employees was shot and is still recovering. And I don't really know what to expect as far as what else we find out about this individual. But one thing that's just crazy to think about is that he ended up on the wrong elevator, so he was there to find I guess the NFL office, and I don't know, maybe his plan was to just kill as many people as possible. We'll never know, because again he ended up killing himself. However, just to know that he ended up getting on the wrong elevator and that led to him I guess, ending up in an area where he wasn't wanting to be, but that didn't keep him from shooting other people. Because one of the CEOs of another company was one of those that was killed, along with a police officer. So Shane Tomora is the name of this individual, and I'm sure we'll find out more about this person's life because that's typically what happens after these things happened. But yes, the NFL employees were told to shelter in place Monday when the shooting was taking place, and the visual of just what that office looked like. They were barricading their I guess the entrance to their office with furniture, and it's just I mean, I I can't imagine that fear in that situation where you do probably have. I mean, again, it's tough to know exactly what they knew was going on at the time, but even if you have the fear, but you don't truly know that somebody is there to take out as you know, to take out a mass shooting like like we have happened way too often, I mean, anytime is a tragic situation. But obviously it's become not as shocking when these stories end up in the news because it just happens enough to where it's not that surprising. That's just the human element of things, to where when something does the fact occur a certain amount of times, the level of surprise when it occurs is no longer really there. But trying to just know, Okay, I know what this person's here to do.
Speaker 2: They're here just.
Speaker 1: Mowing people down, trying to kill as many people as possible. I just can't imagine the fear that you would have and what would go through your mind in that in that situation, because again I think this is probably something that most are aware of, but if not, you should be aware at least I think you should just try to be aware of of those that survive this and don't die or even get any any any there's no harm physically, they still are victims of an insane level of trauma that may stick with them for the rest of their lives, and the balancing act of wow, like I'm so lucky, I'm so fortunate, thank you God for letting me survive in a situation where others didn't survive and I could have easily been dead. That balancing act.
Speaker 2: Of just the the appreciation and just.
Speaker 1: Being thankful to be alive, but then also realizing you know, you were you were tryingized And that's a real emotion that can can stick with people. And I just hate now that because it's happened so often in this country, that there may be something that is that is not a real threat. I mean, go, let's go back to the situation at the Exposition Center a couple weeks ago when that we had the scare of a of an active aggressor on site at that at that girls basketball tournament. I don't really know who did anything wrong. I mean, LMPD responded the way that they should, and it just I think was a reminder that people are that the awareness is that heightened of these things happening and it all ended up being nothing. But I would not be shocked if there's many of those that were there that were that were fearful for that moment however long it actually was where they believed there was somebody there potentially with a gun to commit a mass shooting. I mean, nobody got hurt at the end of the day, as far as any physical harm. Nobody was there with a gun. It was all really for nothing. And I think really just a bad timing, bad luck situation overall. But there may still be people that sort of live with the trauma that comes with being in that moment where you are in fear of your life and and and those that are with you. I mean, it's just there are lingering effects to this, this current situation that we have here in America where mass shootings are are clearly happening, seemingly at a higher rate than ever. And I don't know the numbers, if they back that up or not, but even when they don't have them, because we know that they do occur, I just think there's gonna be some lingering effects for people that you may not realize unless you are one of those people. So yeah, just an awful situation there in New York. And again, just to give you an example of how how often it does happen, there were two on the same day, and I'm not sure if that's some kind of a record as far as those to those two situations playing out the way they did. But be a shocker to me if that is a record. But it didn't necessarily become a talking point because maybe you're knowing, you're maybe maybe maybe that's the surprise. Oh wow, we've never had two happen in a day. Huh sad? All right, we've got another update of travling the weather coming your way. Matt Melosovitch will tell us just how hot it's gonna be today. Gonna be brutal not to uh to step in front of Matt there, but it's going to be hot, and he'll give us the latest on that. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking. Here as we get a Wednesday started, it's Kentucky and his Morning News, Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas So, it looks like LMPD is having to to once again warn parents about the another challenge that kids may do that could end up costing them their lives. We actually had this conversation a few weeks ago. I believe just over the years, things that kids decide to make a thing and I guess challenge other kids to see if they have the stones to do it, and it's it's it's stupid on.
Speaker 2: A variety of levels.
Speaker 1: I mean the tide pod challenge that one, of course got a lot of attention, you had, the it was some other ones, I mean they're so stupid. I mean one was to go missing for two days to where you'd end up on the news. And I'm just like, if my kid ever got involved in a challenge to to, you know, have some fun with their friends, and that challenged included just ghosting their parents and making them think they were potentially dead or abducted just to get a laugh with their buddies. I'm not sure there's a worse thing my kid could do to me.
Speaker 3: But I remember the chicken challenge.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's another one. Yeah, there were a lot of stupid ones over the years. But LMPD has warned louisvillions of a door kick challenge. So this is a dangerous social media trend that I guess has now made its way into Louisville. And again it's called the door kick challenge, and it's it's it's stupid, but it involves teens violently kicking indoors late at night, filming it in, running off sometimes to post online.
Speaker 2: What they would get out of that?
Speaker 1: I have no clue, but the incidents here have not only been reported in Louisville, but other states, with the rests already being made in some instances. And I mean there's homeowners in Louisville that have talked to the local media about this happening. And you know, I I mean, if you have somebody ready and they've got a gun, I mean, I don't you never know, but like that's such a I mean, I can't even speak right now because I can't comprehend how stupid this is. And I just don't know how anybody would get, Like what do you get out of this other than potentially getting in trouble or maybe getting shot. I mean, it's just it's insane. This is a quote from l ANDPD spokesman John Bradley quote. Anybody, I'm sorry, anyone participating in this type of behavior is certainly risking their own life. A resident could easily and reasonably assume resorting to deadly force against the person is the next appropriate course of action to protect themselves. This type of behavior is stupid, and dangerous, very very well said stupid, dangerous. Those are maybe the two best words to use here for lack of other words that we're not allowed to say on the radio. But yeah, just I mean really really dumb. And I'm trying to think of other challenges that we're out there, and you mentioned that the Nike Will, I mean, what was it they would put Nike Will and I.
Speaker 2: Had it pull up a second ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I've got more here. So there was the Benadryal challenge, where you take large doses of benagdryl to hallucinate. There was the Cinnamon Challenge, Todpod challenge. Yeah, I mean these are a lot of these are are are are stupid? But yeah, it was the forty eight hour challenge that took place in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, where kids would would disappear for forty eight hours, not telling anybody, and the way to successfully complete the challenge was be missing long enough to where you being missing would end up on your local news channel. I mean, I don't know if I'd ever forgive my kid if they did that for me. That wouldn't be one where I would like, oh, you know, kids, kids these days they just they do young, they're young and dumb. I mean that would be that would be something that I would just I don't know what I mean. Again, all this is stupid, but just be aware there may be somebody coming to your door to try to kick it and break your door down only to run off. Really stupid. All right, we've got another update of trafficking weather coming your way. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking here on a Wednesday morning. Also, we'll get the latest fro Matt Melosavich on the forecast, and Scott Fitzgeral's back with another sports update coming up right here, right now on News Radio eight forty e WHS. Thank you very much, John Shannon. When we were getting closer to that guilty verdict that came in for Brooks Howse and the death of his former girlfriend Crystal Rogers, I remember think thinking of other stories cases I guess is the better way to describe it here in the area Kentuckyana that didn't just generate a lot of interest locally, but they became national stories to an extent, And there were a few that came to mind. But one that I forgot about was was David Cam who twenty five years ago found his wife and two young children dead when he arrived home one evening after playing a pick up basketball game and was then convicted twice, only to then be exonerated. And he's been a free man for a while now, but lost thirteen years of his life for something he didn't do. And this is maybe the best comparison, but what really just makes this one, I think interesting to really anybody who's interested in true crime, regardless of where you are, even if you're not somebody that's local and remembers this being such a big story back in the day. I mean the fact that he was convicted twice with really no no evidence. I mean, there was really nothing seemingly that was proof that he did it, and yet he was convicted twice. So yesterday David Cam was on with Terry Miners and a really good Q and A if you guys didn't hear it, he talked about the night of the crime and recalling that moment when he found his wife and kids dead in their garage, as you could expect, trauma that's going to stick with you forever. And then the wrongful convictions, I mean, despite having eleven alibi witnesses. He was twice convicted based on what was I think clearly manufactured evidence and just flawed work by detectives and just the crime scene in general. I mean, the investigation was I mean, I'm trying to think of a better word, to a better way to describe it, because it's far from just being a bad investigation. It was terrible. So I mean, this is somebody who again was put in prison for thirteen years, convicted twice, once in twenty or two thousand and two and then again in two thousand and six, and both times the prosecution they relied on shaky blood spatter analysis, and they shifted theories throughout the you know, throughout the entire situation, like each trial. It's it's like they had a different theory as to why he would do this, what his motive could be, including infidelity. They even brought up child molestation despite you know, contradictory forensic evidence that was there, and it's just it's, I mean, I'm I'd forgotten all about this specific story in this case, and it's one that after hearing that David cam was going to be on with Terry, I was reminded of it because I was young when when that, when that happened, and when that became such a continuous story that was in the news, and I was not looking for that, right, I wasn't seeking out anything like that when I was t well thirteen years old. But it was such a big story that it would be hard for anybody, child or adult to not at least know of it. I didn't know any of the details though, But now that I've become such a true crime nerd myself the last couple of days, I've just been reading everything I can about the whole thing, and then hearing him yesterday. It's just a I feel like if this were to play out in the modern era, in today's world, with true crime being the most popular genre of content out there in the endless docuseries and shows that we have on the endless amount of streaming platforms that are available to us, this would be one that I think would be a national hit like no other. I'm talking making a murderer Stephen Avery kind of thing. I mean, you look at some of the others. You've got the staircase, which that was Michael Peterson who was convicted of murdering his wife Casey Anthony that was a big one. That of course was also some years back. But the Peacock Special, that is a good I mean, it makes you to me, you know, I can only speak for myself. I watched that and to me it was quite clear she absolutely had something to do with the death of her two year old daughter, but of course she was acquitted. So if you ever checked out the interview with Terry and David cam I recommend that you do, and it'll I mean.
Speaker 2: My.
Speaker 1: I guess big takeaway among many takeaways is just I cannot imagine going I.
Speaker 2: Would live every day of those or actually I'd probably live every day moving forward in the last twenty five years since this happened, with moments throughout my day of me thinking, well, there's no way this is real. There's no way this is this, this really happened, because this can't be real because of just the nature of what we're talking about. But here is him just talking about his new reality, and I don't think I'd be able to have the same perspective on things that he has.
Speaker 3: I truly always believe that there would be a day a reckoning, if you will, and that the truth would be exposed and that I would not have to spend the rest of my life in prison. I always believe that, I truly always it's a new reality. But to be perfectly honest, I have to say, considering everything that I've been through the last five years, I'm blessed. And people will find that hard to believe, but to be in the situation in which I currently find myself, I truly am and I'm blessed.
Speaker 1: So Charles Bonnet is someone who is now in prison for this. But it was in two thousand and five where DNA on the sweatshirt was finally tested that his wife was wearing a believe that led to him being in You know, he's a convicted fellow and had a history of stalking, violently attacking women. And despite this, prosecutors charged both Cam and Bonnet as co conspirators, which to me screams just the inability to acknowledge you got it wrong, You ruined somebody's life, but you didn't have the the you know, you couldn't put your pride aside and acknowledge that you now wanted to just not admit fault but say yeah, David Cam did it. But also he had another guy that helped him. I mean, and by the way, David Cam is I'm sorry. Charles Bonet is currently in prison serving a two hundred and twenty five year prison sentence for killing Kim Cam, his wife, David's wife, and of course their two children, Brad and Jill. And this is somebody who had a violent record, was on parole. And absolutely you got DNA and you got somebody who quite literally has a history of being a violent criminal attacking women. So I just can't.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine again. I think I would live every day for the rest of my life from the day that that happened twenty five years ago with moments of yeah, this can't be real. Am I going to wake up from this? Let's get to a quick update on traffick and weather right here on news Radio eight forty WHS, Happy hump Day, thanks for hanging with us here at Kentucky and his morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. You are not long. You're not far away, I should say, believe it or not, I can't speak English. You're not far away from your next update on traffic and whether that's coming up here very soon. And one of the three celebrity deaths we had last week, and those who claimed that deaths come in three, especially those of celebrity status, they were right because there were three of them. Malcolm Jamal Warner, Malcolm Jamal Warner, who of course played theo Huxtable and The Cosby Show. Then it was Ozzy Osbourne and then Hulkogan, and then of course we were able to go back and look at all the other deaths that big name stars either passed within the same few days or maybe the same week. But I remember not even realizing it, but I went back in my life there are three people. Nik there's one instance of three, but a couple of instances of two people not celebrities, but just people that I know that were in my life that passed around the same time. It's kind of kind of creepy, to be honest with you. But anyways, the reason I bring this up is because Hull Cogan, for those who don't know, he had two children that were at times well known in the public eye. His son was more so known in the public eye. For a I believe it was a reckless driving situation that ended up I believe taking somebody's life, and that of course, became a big Hollywood TMZ type story because Nick Hogan, the son of Hull Cogan, a lot of people believe was able to, you know, skirt the law because of his dad's status. And then of course his daughter, Brooke, she was a musician and she I think was the big star of that Hogan Knows Best reality show that I think v h one put out many years ago, and that gave a lot of people, I guess just behind the scenes, and it really isn't behind the scenes because some of that stuff is doctored a little bit as far as just the storylines. But you know, they seemed like a pretty likable family in that show, and you got to see Hole Cogan in a way that you didn't see him because typically you just saw him in the ring as a wrestler and whatnot. But anyways, Brooke, there was a Brooke Hogan has said that she does not want to be in the will. And I don't know exactly what hol Cogan's net worth is, but that I think really speaks to just the fallout that those two had over many things. His comments that he made, of course, which a lot of people know, he made some comments that were very racist, just to be honest with you about who she was dating and whatnot. And yeah, I mean, anytime you lose your parent, I'm sure it's a sad situation. I'm very fortunate to still have both mine and they're healthy and very close to me in my life. But I just can't imagine having that happen and knowing that you were you were not in a good place with your with your mother or father when it when it when their life came to an end. But yeah, just this sad stuff. All right, Let's get to a quick update on traffick and weather and then and then we'll get to another sports update here with Scott Fitzgerald and who's ready wait forty wh s