Speaker 1: All right, welcome back everyone. I'm here with Ryan. We're going to be discussing AI once again. We actually discussed this in our pilot episode, which I believe was in November, And obviously this is a developing story all the time. There's a lot to talk about. But I guess, first off, Ryan, looking back on what we discussed in November, what you remember of it, how do you think that's worked out as far as where we said this was going what to expect.
Speaker 2: I think we've been vindicated so far. The hype cycle continues, the same faces at the helm. You know, the original open AI group still quarreling. Elon Musk is going at it with Sam Altman on on X and you know open ayes under severe pressure. But I guess we'll get into the numbers of it as far as we can work out, because there's a huge amount of obviousigation in this market. But the build out is absolutely remarkable. The numbers that are being talked about, the you know, the demands that is being calculated based on labor displacement. It's being pitched as a battle for global supremacy between America and China particularly, and you know, a new economic paradigm, which Musk at least is saying we'll be work free and abundant. So yeah, that's uh, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah. The numbers are staggering. We went over some of them the last time we spoke. I mean, six hundred and fifty billion is the numbers. Six hundred and thirty billion direoboats of capex that's just going to be spent by four companies on AI this year, Amazon, Microsoft, Alphabet, Meta and obviously these numbers, you know, they just keep blowing up during unbelievable territory. But there's no sign of it's slown down. And there's definitely more of a sense now of people recognizing that this is some kind of bubble. But I guess the question is how does that come to an end? Because I think a lot a lot of people have a sense, okay, it's a bubble to degree, but there is a worthwhile product there, something will come of it, some kind of productivity gains. We just don't know how that will manifest or where the money needs to go to benefit from that. But also last time we discussed this, we talked about China, which sometimes doesn't get talked about so much in these discussions, and you were kind of bullish on Chinese manufacturing and China's potential to catch up, and that's suddenly something that's coming to the fore neat. There was a couple of models released in the last couple of weeks from China that again has caused alarm in Silicon Valley because they're so close to the top models being it out by entropic open Ai, and the head of strategy for open Ai actually had an interesting post I think he made on x where he warned that these open source models being put out by the Chinese that this was going to lead to an era of AI communism, I think he called it, And he was basically warning people of this terrible potential future where you can just access AI models for free. I'm not sure why he thought that would be such a terrifying prospect of people, that you would be able to access these models for free, rather than the brilliant, liberal capitalist future of paying a subscription to scam Altmann to access the same tech. But apparently this to him is a dangerous specter of AI communism. Interestingly enough, I think David Sachs, who's the AI advisor to the US government actually pushed back on that and warned about regulatory captures. So there's there's some interesting dynamics happening there as far as how these tech companies now are actually going to have to deal with this tread that you warn't a bode of China coming in and eating their lunch. And it's suddenly seemed to look more realistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, let's go back to the beginning of AI. Twenty fifteen, Open AI is born. It's a collaboration between likes of Vilo mass Musks, Sam Altman, a bunch of other tech nerds, mathematicians, whatever. Twenty nineteen, that project, which was meant to benefit all humanity, open source AI for all, becomes a private company because they realized that to scale this up into something brilliant, something resembling a brain, is going to require a lot of computing power. And then along comes in Nvidia, who historically were just a company that provided graphics for gamers like me when I was a teenager, and then became a bitcoin mining company or you know, bitcoin mining compute provider. You know, the the tech optimists of AI decided that they could do brilliant things with GPUs, and that's you know, that's when the kind of American rent seeking model was born that they were going to, you know, create all these data centers, create these huge clusters of compute, and then they were going to sell it back to consumers enterprises after they've scraped all of Western civilization by training their models on Reddit and you know, every document, every pdf on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Because I read it was the pinnacle of civilization.
Speaker 2: I mean, to be fair to them, they have or here's an exact sample, anthropic. They were actually scared of copyright infringement for all the sources they effectively stole, so they used their seed capital to buy millions of physical books, tore them apart by removing the bindings and copy in every page. So they have a phenomenal database of real world books. But I think AI is bundled together in this kind of very vague tech optimism, and I think we should separate the kind of processes that are actually going on here. So you've got the LLM, which is basically predicting the next word, and it happens to be great for coding. So you've got these two frontier labs, Open AI and the spinoff of open Ai because Oltman and Amedi fell out. Anthropic and Athropic is the market leader encoding. You know, they you know, have basically taken the software development well by storm. I think pretty much everyone's using them.
Speaker 1: I should point out, actually, since we last spoke, I was banned by Claude. I really, I don't know if I told you this, I guess not yet. So I I'd only used Claude a couple of times, wasn't really feeling chat GPT, but so I decided to test out the you know, every want to talk about who great Claude is compared to chat GUPT. So I bought the premium subscription. Immediately banned, and I got an email from Claude saying that their algorithm had I forget how they worded it. It was signals. That was it. That there were It's algorithm had generated signals associated with me as a user. And on the basis of this, decided that I may be in violation of their term or I shouldn't be using their product, and banned me. And then you know, centered to review human reviewed it and yes I'm banned. So that was that was the extent of the explanation. I got as there are signals associated with you as a user that means you can't use Claude AI. So I haven't. I haven't been able to experience and of any of the Entropic models. But this is there's your future, you know. I guess I'll be cheering on for the Chinese open models. I guess we're facing.
Speaker 2: You're banned from vibe coding now if that was interest of yours? So yeah, where to go next? Yeah, Andthropic is brilliant coding every development.
Speaker 1: But and Tropic does seem like the most liberal of all these companies in terms of most the other tech companies seem pretty amoral. But wasn't Entropics kind of modus operando when they started out? It's like, oh, we're going to be ethical AI.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that kind of the Well yeah they said that, but I just think it's pr no.
Speaker 1: But but I'm I think maybe they're their idea of ethics is I thought Drew's posted something that he was asking what the different types of head speech laws are in Europe and a Claude wouldn't tell them, you know, bands me, so I think, like, you know, their idea of ethics is you know, even society leftism'm.
Speaker 2: I mean, I basically think they're all in it together. They have a pr mantra, and then in reality they're ducing their own stock so they can cash out. So Amadi at Davos earlier in the year, he basically announced that twenty percent of the workforce was going to be unemployed in a couple of years. And then he announced Mithos and said this is so good. Everyone's going to have their cybersecurity compromise, and this could bring down the world economy. So he's fallen out with Department of Defense, like the American government basically hate him. They basically said that there had to be severe restriction on the use of myth foss because it was such a risk. And you've even got the likes of Alex carp A Palenteer coming out and saying, this guy is a clown. He's you know, scaring the voters. He's putting us in danger of you know, electing communists and Luddites and all this kind of red scare stuff.
Speaker 3: So there doesn't seem to be that.
Speaker 2: Much consensus between the various oligarchs associated with AI. They're all kind of feuding with each other and they're trying to reduce their own stock, and you know, Sam Altman says that AGI is coming. There are different, so many different layers to this. And then you've also got the hyperscalers who own equity in the frontier labs open Ai and and Thropics, so they're incentivized for these two ipo at very high evaluations. Meanwhile, there's Nvidia in the backgrounds there just trying to ship out as much Compute as possible to you know, all all buyers, which is basically just the hyperscalers, and to keep everything afloat, they're doing all these really dodgy circular finance deals, very dodgy accounting where they're putting things on the revenue statements that really shouldn't be there, and they're hiding the debt and so much is obviouscated. But if you look at the raw numbers and what these companies are saying, they're basically selling Compute at a loss, and Thropic and open Ai are selling at a loss. And you know, you've got all these stories of enterprises token maxing. They're trying to get productivity out their workers, they end up spending too much, they cancel it that happened to Uber and they're having to go through so many rounds of raising new capital. Open Ai has you know, raised capital from Massi Yoshi Son to the tune of about sixty five billion dollars. His last investment was we work lost about sixteen billion dollars on that, So I wouldn't say he's a very good investor himself. And now the hyperscale is a juice in the high whole cycle. There are plans for huge amounts of data centers all across America, one hundred plus gigawatts. They've already broken ground on twenty and the kind of predictions they're making are you know, quite phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred and fifty gigawatts and just proposed new data centers across the US. One of the but, you know, one of the limitations on this is the compute. But one of the limitations as well is just what is the actual limit of an LM as far as intelligence? And this is kind of a lot of what I discussed when we covered this topic last is the way people misunderstand intelligence, the embodied nature of intelligence, and not kind of accepting that LLM is especiically an advanced predictive text model that can't jump into what is, you know, genuine learning. I think since then, though, I think there are people in the field that are kind of putting this out there of you know, the AGI thing has been very overhyped, and it often comes with you know, this can give us great productivity gains, and it can be very useful in specific fields like coding directed by humans. But a lot of this kind of sci fi AGI hype, you know, where Elon Musay in artificial general intelligence was just around the corner for years, I think you see some more mature voices kind of damping that. Jan Lakun, who's the head of AI development at Facebook, says, look, llms are not going to develop.
Speaker 3: A g I.
Speaker 1: They are very useful in a certain way, certain limited way, but we have kind of reached the limits of this paradigm. Like, if there's going to be another leap in AI, it's going to be from some kind of model that isn't just an LLM. And I think that's clear. You know, we get we're obviously in this race of new AI models coming out all the time, and some of the releases have been pretty impressive, but it is kind of you know, it's a more advanced version of the same thing, and a lot of the core problems that were there with lllms are still there. You know, these models still hallucinate. You know, you still can't rely on it on supervised for serious work. Right, it really is still basically a guide because it does make mistakes. It's still hallucinates. They haven't been able to solve that. There's increasingly a problem of AI critting this ecosystem of unsourced or badly sourced and just fake material. Some people have been doc coumenting this. You know that a YouTuber uses AI, it throws him out a fake statistic or a fake scientific fact. He puts it in his YouTube video, the YouTube video gets a million views. That then becomes a source on this maybe niche topic that other lllms use people posted on Reddit, and then it kind of enters into this ecosystem of knowledge within the AI. Sometimes you have you know, one AI is sited in Krokipedia. We're not really sure where Rokipedia is getting the information from that itself as LLM generated. So like you're running into limits with these lms where they can't really self correct. It's still very much human guided and there's been all sorts of hype about all these are learning in new ways that we hadn't expected, and that we're moving into this new kind of paradigm where they learn in ways similar to neural networks and it's not just the standard token prediction. And as far as I can tell, this is all nonsense. I mean, antime I've looked into these, it's it's kind of a slide of hand trick where it's like, you know, one extra step between the same kind of token prediction that's always been happening. So it seems like we're kind of trapped in this paradigm where they're going to add more compute and it may look somewhat more impressive, But as far as breaking into that next step where it gives you something like, you know, scientific discoveries, which we still don't get from these lllms, you know, again they're helpful their replace jobs and work when you kind of know what the parameters are and it can do it using existing material that's out there and put it together. But as far as any kind of intelligence breakthroughs, you know that they're going to be providing incredible medical discoveries or things that are really just going to you know, advanced capitalism, like like Musk says, that make us all post scarcity. I mean, it's just not there in this LLM paradigm. And you know, someone like Jean Lacun acknowledges that, and he kind of says it with the suggestion that something that's going to come after it, that's going to be the real deal. But you know, I'm not sure. I'm not sure that there's just this bridge. Everyone is assuming that and them gets so complicated and then we get this kind of self sufficient component in general intelligence.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't even get my Gemini to make a basic meme and it hallucinates all the time, So I have to be quite careful about the sourcing. But let's talk about another of the big powerbrokers of Ai Demissabis of Google Deep Mind.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: Talking about AGI as.
Speaker 2: You know, this brilliant you know, something that's equal to human intelligence. That's now the new definition. The previous cope was there's going to be recursive learning, it's going to become super intelligent and be able to solve anything. That's now been dialed back down to oh AGI means human level intelligence across a number of domains, you know exactly as a intelligent person, I might correct you a little bit there. Demester Sarvice with Google Deep Mind did solve the protein folding problem and he won the.
Speaker 3: Nobel Prize for Chemistry for that.
Speaker 2: But the way that works different to an LM is they use the GPU compute to do what they call reinforcement learning, where they basically give it like a biological problem, chemical problem, run like, you know, all these huge amounts of computations, and then they gradually work out how the you know, natural biology works and.
Speaker 1: They were able to discover right, But that's the point. Did the did the LLLM intelligently make a scientific discovery intuite and how to you know, synthesize these different fields and theories, or did someone that had this proposition using to process a ton of data and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they knew where there were unknowns that were hard to record, and then they were able to use the compute to solve the unknowns which were already known byrilogists. But Hasabis is now talking about the use cases being things like automated labs and we're going to use AI to you know, solve scientific problems. So overall, the projections have been downgraded significantly, and there have been signals among these people to you know, stop telling the public they're going to be unemployed and things like this. And you know, the AI build out doesn't get that much attention in the mainstream.
Speaker 3: It's kind of you.
Speaker 2: Know, talked about on finance podcasts and you know, tech nerd podcasts, but it doesn't receive much attention and you know, in the news or politically. But yeah, Hasabis is probably the most trustworthy figure.
Speaker 1: I would say, Well, it's interesting how there is this kind of leftist, populist sentiment of anti AI prolog erics. You know, those kinds of people are especially disliked, the ailig erics. But also this like anti data center trend, which is kind of it's kind of cross left and right wing. You know, like you've got this guy James Fishback who's running in Florida as a Republican and he's kind of griperus candidate, but but he's he's he's doing this populous like I'm going to ban data centers in Florida. Yeah, it's it's kind of it's kind of like a slopuloust slopulous meme like the it's kind of like the you know, the the most populist elements of the left and right are both doing this out a center thing. And sometimes it's not really clear why the general public poses these data centers. A lot of times, I mean, I think they have a sense that makes things more expensive and maybe it's going to be damaging for the infrastructure around. But there hasn't really been a well articulated political case. I mean, it's basically just nimbism, isn't it. Like, let's banner in our state and you know, still have the gains of AI productivity, but is built it somewhere else?
Speaker 2: I think there's the cost concern of increasing electricity prices. There's the environmental concern, you know, things like you know, the ugliness of a data center, the water usage, et cetera.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there are.
Speaker 2: Thousands of these things planned all across America. There's been a lot of resistance to it. These tech bros are even suggesting that the Chinese might be involved in leading this kind of movement, and Sam Altman has two attempts on his life this year. You know, a lot of people are very skeptical about it, and you know, the tech bros are blaming the likes of Amma Day for, you know, saying that they're going to be unemployed, and there is this big question that if the predictions do come to pass and it really is as intelligent and disruptive as they are claiming, and as it needs to be for all the debt that's being accumulated, then yeah, people will be unemployed and we will be in a you know, semi communistic economic paradigm.
Speaker 3: I mean, we should, we should talk about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, one question is what's what's funding all this? Then you know, you can get into the numbers, but I mean, I mean, the essential thing is that the US economy basically is not growth outside of AI companies, Like that's entirely what's driving everything, and even growth in other areas of the economy of the economy you can say is very downstream of the growth generated by the promise of AI. But it's basically the entirety of what the US economy is built on right now in serious trouble. But there's like certain there's certain signs that investors are getting a little bit concerned about how deep they are in this. And the AI companies have used all sorts of interesting account and tricks to kind of hide how deep they're spending is. But I think currently the number is that they're they're spending one point four trillion this year and all sorts of expenditure, and the revenue is less than half that. So I guess at this point, if we are looking at a serious correction that is at some point going to come somehow, who is initially going to bear the brunt of that? Like, where is the majority of this funding coming from?
Speaker 2: Well, there's different types of funding. So the hyperscale is the big tech companies. They've basically issued a lot of debt. Google recently did an equity raise, which implies that they don't think their stock is particularly good value. They raised eighty five billion dollars with that, So yeah, they've created all these bonds equity raises. Other people talking about equity raises. Open Ai got funding from Massiyoshi Son Andthropic got funding from Amazon. Microsoft has seed funding in open Ai, and then Google also has interest in the Frontier Labs. So that's kind of mostly for purchasing compute. But there are also these other vehicles which are off balance sheet called SPV special purpose vehicles, and these are mainly funding the data center build out, and that usually involves a minority stake by a hyperscaler around twenty percent, but then they keep the debt obligations off their balance sheet. And it's basically private credit that is providing all the additional funding um so basically American boomers. They're also Japanese banks like Mitsubishi also funding a lot of this. And the scale of the buildout is remarkable. They're talking about ten trillion dollars by twenty thirty, and that implies needing to be taking two trillion dollars revenue or one and a half trillion dollar dollars revenue by that time. And it's not clear where the demand is coming from. I mean just two examples from the current day space. It bought a load of compute power they don't have a use for it and sold it to Anthropic Meta. Same thing. They bought a load of compute sold it to Athropic. So open Ai and Anthropic are the only ones buying the compute power that's already been built. They're selling their tokens at a loss. Their revenues aren't particularly impressive. Well, we don't know exactly how much Anthropic is really making because again there's clever accounting there and the likes of Amazon, who are one of them.
Speaker 1: Do we know it seems like it's hard to get numbers on what I need these companies exactly are making and losing on AI because a lot of time, you know, Alphabet and Amazon and so on, it's not like very neatly.
Speaker 2: It's not clear for the hyperscalers at all. But okay, let's take open AI. Thirteen billion revenue last year, predicted twenty five billion this year. They lost twenty two billion last year, and five billion of that was marketing like TV adverts, trying to get people to pay for chat GBT.
Speaker 1: But you know, I believe I've seen a projection that they need to have one hundred billion in revenue by the end of this decade.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would have thought more, because we discussed before that Ortman's predicting a break even in twenty thirty and they're talking about spending like seventy eight billion in twenty nine or thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these numbers.
Speaker 1: One hundred billion was the number I saw, And then there are projections that they won't be doing ten percent of that.
Speaker 2: And we don't know how much of this revenue is real because the hyperscalers that have equity in them are reducing the numbers. Amazon burnt through a huge amount of tokens because they're a stakeholder in anthropic, so it makes sense to duce evaluation. Same thing with holders in U SpaceX a Google being one of them. I believe, you know, they want people to believe in the fantasy so that their own you know, equity is they can dump it on the market, you know, in a years time when those shares are locked.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's talk about SpaceX.
Speaker 2: Five percent of the float was iPod two trillion dollar valuation got squeezed up mainly mainly options buyers up to three trillion dollars.
Speaker 3: This company lost six billion.
Speaker 2: Dollars last year and it's been valued at the same price as you know, a legacy company like Amazon, which you know controls logistics all over the Western world, is involved in you know, web services, and it has all this infrastructure, and you know SpaceX. These satellites fall out of the sky after five years because they're in such low orbit. The the starlink business is only going to make sense if starship works and they can take tons of these satellites up at the same time, so there are so many doubts over whether the numbers are going to add up. It's all the can being kicked down the road and a lot of.
Speaker 1: Yeah I found a deal on I mean, his ability to spin an arrative about a company and get people behind it is you know, like when you compare the valuation to the revenue there, it's just insane.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, think about the clout he built by purchase an X you know, that would cost him fifty billion. But the equity he's been able to create since out of being able to influence elections, being able to co opt the right wing populist movement, get people buying his companies is remarkable. And you know, society is just so involved in the these hype trends. Same thing with The Odyssey. Everyone thinks this is a great film. It's just crowd following madness. No one really knows what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's one thing that's different about this bubble actually. I mean if you look at something like, you know, the classic example is of a bubble, right, an investor bubble is chulip Mania, right, Or you could look at the dot com bubble where you suddenly had a huge uptick in ordinary retail investors that own stocks, like the amount of US households that own stock went up by like eight ten percent in a few years in the late nineties every two thousands. And then the housing crisis as well, ordinary people getting involved in this on the belief that housing prices just go up. Housing is an appreciate and assen and everyone was kind of in on it. So those were you know, retail lead or heavily retail involved booms with with ordinary people trying their money in, and that was kind of a sign that something was wrong. But the AI bubble is is something different. You know, you're you're the the you know, uneducated boomer in the US is not throwing a lot of money at AI stock like people were with pets dot com or business dot com during the dot com bubble, right, Like you discuss some of it there, But this is very much institutional lead and money between these AI AI companies and huge investors. So what does that mean for you know the nature of it as a as a bubble, Like have we seen a bubble like that before? Because there isn't even really an entry point for a lot of people that wanted to invest in this. Like if you were super bullish and AI, I mean you can't really you can't invest publicly in open AI or on tropics. What would you be doing ob secondary things like you'd be buying Microsoft stock because they use up in the heavily and you know, I guess Amazon, Stark and so on. But Tesla, which you can't really directly buy your short day itself read.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that that that's the thing. It's you know, it's had these seed rounds. Early investors have you know, bought the equity. But now Anthropic Open Ai lining up, I pos so Anthropic are expected to float later this year over a trillion dollars. Open Ai pushback to next year also over a trillion dollars. And I think normal investors, boomers with assets are going to get left hold in the bag. All these billionaires are going to cash out. And if you are invested in a tracker like NASDAK, you're going to be owning SpaceX and you're gonna be owing all the hyperscalers at rich valuations. And even worse, if the demand isn't there and you put a load of your family wealth into these special purpose vehicles. You were the creditor for the data center build out. Again, you're going to lose all your money. And this has been built up so big and the projections are so large, it really has to work in a phenomenal way to even get a return on capital. And that's probably a good place to bring China in because China has a very different model. It's not rent seeking. They are engineering with much less compute available and they're producing models that are ninety five percents good for a tenth or less of the price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, talking about what, how are these companies actually going to make money? I mean we I think discussed us in the previous show. We did, but Sam Altman taller investors or people that were interested in opening that the plan was to build super intelligence and ask it to make money. You know, like that's the kind of promises you're getting. But I mean, essentially the hope is that they can just make a ton of money on subscriptions. And you know, there has been a there's is a constant increase in people buying subscriptions to a I But obviously to get to the numbers they're talking about talking into the hundreds of billions just in subscriptions and do like a multiple x of Netflix subscriptions. I mean, that is a huge adoption rate. And to do that while there are all these AI models out there, you have to have a huge advantage, right, I mean, who's who's gonna what average person is paying X number of dollars per month for chat GPT if they can get a free model, that's ninety percent of away there. So you know, the whole thing was contingent on these handful of USAI companies having this huge kind of frontier advantage over anyone that attempted to open sources or do it elsewhere, you know, with the support of the US government and the huge data center build out and the technological advantage and so on. But yeah, like you said, these companies now are ninety ninety five percent the way there with the recent releases. You know, I've seen they have all sorts of ways of estimating, you know, where these models are in terms of intelligence. But they said, you know, until these recent releases, the best Chinese eye models were about six months off the top performing US models, And with the recent releases, they think there's you know, negligible a few weeks difference. So like looking ahead to twenty thirty, how are they going to As I talked about earlier, the llms are kind of at the limit of their cycle of what this paradigm can produce, and now beyond that it's just more compute, more data. How are they going to make a further leap that would justify creating those huge amounts of subscriptions that they need. I mean, I just don't see it. And even with the business adoption, what you're actually seeing again, a lot of this was just contingent on There'll be one or two big companies that have the best model and then everyone's going to flock to them and paid subscriptions. But the way it's being rolled out with businesses is a bit different, where they're taking this kind of you know, this kind of like cafeteria approach where they take a bit from every model. Like I saw Pinterests achieved huge advances where it used this kind of hybrid model, or it used some things like open a eye for certain aspects, but then it actually took one of the Chinese open source models and used that for most of it, tweaked a little bit for its own company, and so it was this kind of hybrid of Chinese open source models and then some of the private US models. But it seems like that increasingly is the direction things are going. And if you look at actually startups in the US, I think many, if not the majority of them now are actually being run on these Chinese open source models. So already the adoption is there. You know what, This was maybe more abstract when we talked about this almost a year ago, but now like they're becoming serious players in the America, are not just worldwide but actually in the US, where you would think and traffic and opening I would still have an enormous advantage.
Speaker 2: Well, they were talking about huge adoption of chatbots that hasn't really come to pass.
Speaker 3: Now the new cope is agentic ai.
Speaker 2: That you're going to have agents doing all your daily tasks for you, and everyone's going to pay fifty one hundred dollars a month and they're going to reduce their workload and stress and all this stuff. I just don't think that's reality. You know, they're losing, you know, so much money on the tokens they're providing at the moment, and I think it's just new cope in terms of Chinese AI. Yes, American companies are adopting it because it's a lot cheaper and open source. So examples they're Airbnb and pinterest company.
Speaker 3: I'm invested in them. I think is rather a good investment.
Speaker 1: Are you supposed to add some this isign investment advice that people always do?
Speaker 3: I don't know what. Yeah, no investment advice.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's I never really understood why that's a rule anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, you just can't go and you don't tell people to buy it because it's going to go up.
Speaker 3: But you can say.
Speaker 2: I own this dog because you know so. Yeah. Andrews and Horowitz. Earlier in the year, they reported the over eighty percent of AI startups pitching to them were using Chinese models, again presumably because of cost. And China is kind of lining itself up to really undermine the American rent seeking model. They're you know, providing these open weight models. Three big companies, the Kimmi model, the Quinn model by Ali Barbar, and Deep Seek, and all of them are performing really well, you know, companies using them in different ways. But it's not really a rent seeking model. It's more of a Chinese state influence model, and they I think they're aiming for soft power by taking this approach away because they can't compete on the big compute model rent seeking model. I mean, they may catch up eventually, you know, I do believe in Chinese engineering. I think they're very good at engineering. I think they will be able to reverse engineer the stuff that they do have, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're on par with the American chip makers within three years.
Speaker 1: But there have been reports recently that the Trump administration is looking at more serious regulations to try and stop these Chinese models coming into the market and disrupting the US system. And I think, based on what we know about this Trump administration, I mean that would seem likely. I would say, you know, the kind of the kind of like haphazard kind of economic nationalism Trump has pursued, where you know, he'll just wake up and draw on a bunch of tariffs or you know, band trade with a country or something. I mean, it seems very likely with all they have invested in Aii, they're not just going to allow us to continue. So I think they will try and respond to some way. But then The question is what can they even do Because it's one thing to say, Okay, TikTok is processing people's data in China, it's Chinese owned, We're going to just take control of TikTok and give it to Larry Ellison. But this is something different because these are open source models, right. It's not like, you know, it's not like Pinterest is using this Chinese company and sending people's data there or whatever. You know, you just take the model. I mean, it's basically just taking an open sourced algorithm on the Internet and using it yourself. So how do you even regulate that? That seems like that seems like a nightmare, especially when when they're already released. And then if you were to say, okay, well future models, we're not going to let them be open sourced and enter the US market. I mean, I don't see how you could possibly enforce that. So it seems like they're they're in a pretty difficult position there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not sure if the technicality technicalities, how difficult it would be to enforce such a ban, but I do think they will be forced into that position because if the if the American AI bubble crashes completely I mean, that's just monumental for the world economy. And imagine how indebted and how broke America will be if this build out completely flops and America is just provided and China is providing, you know, all the technology for a fraction of the price, and that gets mass adoption. I mean, you know, so much power has been handed to the likes of Sam Moltman and Dario Amaday to call the shots here how big this is going to be. And you know, there's all this crowd following all these predictions by the banks that are exaggerated saying how big it's going to be. I mean, some of some of the bank's price predictions on SpaceX stock is insane. You know, some of the banks have ten trillion dollar predictions on a company again that lost six billion dollars last year. It's it's just it's just you know, mass delusion.
Speaker 1: Well, I would imagine another way that would maybe hit the Chinese companies is to say that there's huge abuses going on with intellectual property, because I mean, you mentioned earlier, was it entropic that's just scanning through these books and destroying them. It's just like a brilliant brilliant example of why people kind of hite these these AI companies. But I mean, I assume we don't know what models like Deep Secret being trained on. But I mean I feel like we could be pretty confident they're not really respecting Western intellectual property law and they're probably just tearing through everything they can get their hands on. And I'd imagine there's a case that could be made that you know, this is very unfairly profit and from intellectual property in the West, and that that violates all sorts of you know, World Trade Organization rules and so on that have been used before to to force China to lessen some of its status and with companies. But again, how do you enforce that to stop at just being open source center in the market. I'm not I'm not sure how you can do that. And obviously, I mean the you know, to even go that route of challenging foreign AI companies on that based on what we know about what the exists in US AI companies are being traded on. I mean, you know, I don't think that you know, there's no respect for intellectual property with this stuff. I mean, they've in the past valued at whatever like five I think there was a case where they valued it at five thousand dollars per book that they trended on, and they were taking these kinds of like in the authors and secondary books and so on. But I think it's it's very clear in the way they process data that they're eating up huge amounts of intellectual property. And obviously, you know, there are thousands millions of you know, artists, scientists, everyone else data that are not being credited and paid for the work. And that's you know, that's just too fair a gun. There's no there's no correct in that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's basically a steal first, deal with the consequences later kind of model by a lot of these guys. And yeah, I mean the latest cope is that the Chinese have been stealing all the weights by setting out thousands of accounts and working out how the models work, by you know, culminating all the data and then reverse engineering it as far as possible to create their own models. I mean, it wouldn't be any different from what the Chinese have been doing for the last decades. So it's you know, not as if it was unpredictable, and you know, that's just the world we live in. Now information is very democratized. I think there's huge decentralization going on in you know, all different fields, particularly military, particularly you know, intelligence. You know, any which way you spin this, intelligence will be decentralized by AI.
Speaker 1: But I do think you can make a political case. I mean, this is obviously AI is coming to the form of politics now. And you hear people on the left and the right talking about data centers and talking about Palente or an oracle and these kinds of things, and everyone knows who's some oltmeners and so on, and people follow this drama. But like I said, it's a kind of a misdirected, vague populism that you know, they're taking their data and making society worse. But I do think, I do really think you can make a case on the basis that basically their business model is them opped up the public commons of knowledge of intelligence, scientific discoveries, Wikipedia, you know, read out where people were just posting publicly, just scraping the Internet, taking open source books that were out of copyright and so on. But basically the collective pool of human knowledge over thousands of years, that's what they used as the substrate for these models. Plus you can also say, you know, the original science, the original theories behind LLMS that was open source, you know, like I think some of the most influential work and it came throughe like Princeton University, and these were scientists doing open academic work. And then obviously you can look at I mean, just look at the technology and how much the US government and DARPA and NIH and so on were involved in the development of all of the important hardware for this kind of thing. But you know, I think on the base of that, you can say, like the substrate for this is, yeah, the collective pool of human knowledge and thousands millions of individuals, scientists, authors, philosophers, whatever that contributed and did it not expecting that this would be used for private profit and it is, and yes there is you know, there is a kind of private innovation there in terms of obviously the way they scrape it and processed and presented for a user. So you know, it's not like it's something like someone just you know, grabs a piece of land full of oil and takes one hundred percent of profits or something like that. Like there is a contribution there that you don't want to totally disincentivize. But I think you can definitely say that this is a unique form of rent extraction if these companies make monopoly profits, and therefore there has to be a way to somehow decide what chunk of that properly belongs to the public, as haven't been built on this public commons of human knowledge, and so that we're just taking that back, whether that's somehow tax and windfall profits, some kind of distribution of stock that would go into a sovereign wealth fund, these kinds of ideas are being talked about. No, obviously, I actually think I mean, I think if you did that and you say, okay, windfall profits beyond a certain point are going to be heavily taxed in a way other corporations aren't because of this public element, Well, I mean, I personally think these companies will actually never reach that. So it's probably not going to be a problem anyway, because most likely, Yeah, what's going to happen is the open source of this stuff is kind of just going to nuclear profit margins of these companies.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, open AI were trying to make the US government responsible for their debt, so they're already the hints of this kind of thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: It's essentially scraping Western civilization, creating a hive mind out of Western people and selling it, selling it back, selling it back to people. Maybe, you know, give a few scraps of UBI to all the people that became unemployed if it works out.
Speaker 3: I mean, the numbers that they're.
Speaker 2: Talking about in terms of disruption unemployment are remarkable. McKinsey is predicting between four and eight hundred million people unemployed in the next few years. A more modess essment by Goldman Sex was three hundred million, and World Economic Forum has they predict that there will be basically as many jobs made as created.
Speaker 3: So they're sitting around neutral and.
Speaker 1: Very skeptical how they calculate any of this.
Speaker 2: So I mean McKinsey has really lost its reputation. I mean a lot of these tech bros openly mock them.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, well, because these projections are really built on speculative like what can super intelligence do? And you know, fifteen years kind of thing. But I mean if you look at the actual surveys of existing companies, I mean, I saw when they surveyed six thousand CEOs in Anglosphere countries like Australia and the UK America, and ninety percent said AI has had no impact on employment, and eighty nine percent pretty much the same numbers, so that it's had no impact on productivity. So apparently ten percent of companies are noticing anything at all. You know, I assume it's a lot of software developers. Certainly it's been impactful there, but you know, as far as it's rolling out to the general economy, I mean, it seems like it's very speculative, and any numbers on it, I just wonder where people are pulling them out of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I think there was You know, most of the revenues are created by software developers in these enterprises, and many of those have found out that it wasn't actually that productive. It worked out for some companies not others. There was all this talk of job losses being created by AI, but there is an incentive for CEOs to sack staff and make it look as though there's disruption there and they don't need as many staff to increase their margin and get their stock compensation. This is what capitalism does. It creates all these incentives that don't serve the collective. Whole everyone's out for themselves. Everyone's due in you know, their own book. And you know, meanwhile, the same people are buying bunkers in New Zealand and islands and stuff because you know, they're probably smart enough to see the doom coming if it doesn't work out.
Speaker 1: So I guess so that you know our message, after all, this is a smash capitalism, tax the rich.
Speaker 3: I mean what we've just said there.
Speaker 2: The natural conclusion of this theft that has occurred, the scraping of Western civilization, is that it shared among the worst. And I think you know, these people, the likes of Teal, the likes of carp they know that the people out there are not having a very good time of things. They know that they feel they're being completely robbed of. You know, in many cases they're birthright. They're living, you know, paycheck to paycheck. I mean, so much of us spending is just the top ten percent and everyone else is living paycheck to paycheck. Loads of people don't have medical insurance. And you know, people like Mam Danny breaking through Green Party in the UK. There is a very leftist communist vibe starting to emerge, and these incredibly rich people are looking at it and saying okay. Sam Altman says, Oh, maybe we could give five percent equity to the US government. Amiday says, oh, maybe we'll have an AI tax just to like, you know, give some of these back to the people. But it's a question that will have to be reckoned with if it does work out. If it doesn't work out, then boomers and Japanese banks and so on are going to lose a lot of money. Everyone that's got an index for the S and P five hundred or Nasdaq, particularly exposed to you know, going to get wrecked. I could see fifty percent plus drawdowns in the next two three years on these indexes because they're already very.
Speaker 3: The earnings ratios aren't particularly good.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not a particular fan of him, but Warren Buffett is like nearly one hundred percent cash at the moment. I think he's got like some Google a few other bits and pieces. But you know, when legendary investors like that are sitting in cash, you know you should be thinking about it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I guess we can wrap up there for second show. And it's so fair. I think the projection from the original episode was already good as far as the you know, Chinese eye becoming the other big character in this. Maybe the next one we do on this will be after the bubble pops and we can we can look back in these predictions. There'll be a lot to discust.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be apocalyptic and we'll be streaming from the bunker somewhere.
Speaker 1: Streaming too analog radio or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that's it from now. Everyone take care,