Speaker 1: This is Awson Wells speaking from London. The Black Museum a repository of death. Yes, he and the grim Stone structure on the Thames which houses Scotland Yard. He's a warehouse of homicide where everyday objects a kitchen knife, a roller, skate, a violin string, all touched by murder. Here's a thirty two caliber bullet.
Speaker 2: It's a familiar object.
Speaker 3: Brass cartridge case, snow, leaden nose, not very pretty to.
Speaker 4: Look interesting this bullet, shargant Notice the back of the cartridge case.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, it's for a center fire weapon.
Speaker 5: The firing pin and the pistol must strike the center of the cartridge right.
Speaker 4: But the weapon in which we found this bullet was a rim fire The firing thin could strike only the edge of the cartridge. That little fact, Sergeant, saved at least one life. I'd say.
Speaker 1: Well today that sensor fire bullet can be seen in the Black Museum.
Speaker 6: From the annals of the Criminal Investigation Department of the London Police. We bring you the dramatic stories of the crimes recorded by the objects in Scotland Yards Gallery of Death, the Black Museum.
Speaker 1: Here we are Black Museum, Scotland Yards, museum, Museum of Murder, Allies, death, so orderly, so well kept, Row and row, a macab record of the violence of many generations.
Speaker 3: Each object in its place, each marked.
Speaker 1: Tagged carded with name and place and date. Each object in this room enjoyed in its life one supreme moment, when the eyes of the world were upon it, and it played its silent part in a case of murder. Anyway, I has a jeweled ring fit for a princess, but born of a mind like the gorger's dressed the jewel so and a tiny point locks out of fang, dripping death. Shake hands with your enemy shortly thereafter he dies. A bathtub, yes, a bathtub, white smooth, shining in the dimness. Once a man floated face down in the tub. He slipped or he had been pushed. Was the mark on his skull caused by striking his head as he slipped, or by a blunt weapon.
Speaker 2: In any case, he drowned.
Speaker 1: I see the thirty two caliber bullets even here, lying so quietly, so somble. It's it's ugly. This object was made for killing. As a matter of fact, he never did kill. That's the story. It began on a London Street. A dark sedan drove slowly into the stream of traffic. The three young men in it. One seems quite a bit younger than the other. Even so, the car continues to cruise above.
Speaker 4: You've got everything straight?
Speaker 7: Blood?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm a goon?
Speaker 7: You just want to be sure?
Speaker 3: Kid? That's all?
Speaker 7: What did we tell you?
Speaker 2: I'll stay in the car till you wigwag.
Speaker 4: It's all cleared in our game with you.
Speaker 3: Hey, there's a chance to part the old.
Speaker 2: Bus step fenders now.
Speaker 8: I want nobody to ask for your license a turn like this?
Speaker 3: Many?
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, just.
Speaker 4: Kidding in, that's all.
Speaker 2: What's the matter you edgy?
Speaker 3: Hold his eyes?
Speaker 4: That's me, Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Says what we're gonna get?
Speaker 2: What's it? Let's go.
Speaker 1: Two young men leave an automobile stroll up the street, hands and pockets, cigarettes dangling loosely from their mouths.
Speaker 3: They walk past the busy jewelry store.
Speaker 2: Pretty crowded.
Speaker 4: Maybe we ought to wait, could be no.
Speaker 3: Use taking chances.
Speaker 1: They stroll a few steps farther on and return start back right casual.
Speaker 7: Hey, what's the kid doing?
Speaker 2: The guy's going into the store.
Speaker 7: Come on, a coon must have thought we made a signal, got your gunbody else slow down?
Speaker 2: Now here we go. Rod, what's the idea you went back? Didn't you?
Speaker 3: Never mind? Just do it right?
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, this is a hold up. I'm gonna get that ball.
Speaker 8: Anybody he's guns are loaded.
Speaker 9: No, you're going to my store.
Speaker 4: Shut up?
Speaker 2: You quiet. Anybody talks. I'm giving awa run grip the junk on the counters.
Speaker 10: You're there, stand Phil.
Speaker 9: I'm button runs the car.
Speaker 2: Stop the engine. Many screams shot.
Speaker 9: Down that storm.
Speaker 2: Man, exact the truck, the double pump. We can't get the car out. He stuck behind that truck. Put a kid bad. I can't get the car out.
Speaker 9: I can't hold on. Keep movies stuff you stop, stop, job, the sees stop.
Speaker 7: Got my way, I got you, I got your Please.
Speaker 9: Now it's just a fire front, lady.
Speaker 1: A man laid dead on the sidewalk. The crowd knelled around him. The black sedan stayed in its place. Three young men disappeared in the teeming streets. Disappeared completely and utterly. A few hours later, in a quiet office and scarpenter, Inspector Bowers and detective Sergeant would looked at what they had not.
Speaker 4: Very much of anything.
Speaker 5: Every sergeant knows that descriptions which could be any of one hundred men and two bullets.
Speaker 4: Forty five bullets from the woodwork in the jewelry store, and the thirty two which killed that.
Speaker 2: Fellow with no guns to go with them.
Speaker 4: If those boys were smart at all, they've ditched the guns.
Speaker 2: Funny, you'd expect a lot more shooting in a thing like that.
Speaker 4: They were conserving ammunition. Oh well, I don't know. Circularize the descriptions and what there is of them. That's about all for the moment.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, three men, youngish, white handkerchiefs.
Speaker 3: Over and that was all.
Speaker 1: And where do you start among eight million people searching for three youngish men who maybe miles.
Speaker 3: Away by now? Well, the answer is you don't start. You wait.
Speaker 1: You have patience, and sometimes your patience is rewarded, sometimes sooner than you expect.
Speaker 2: This is Wilson, expector he's the Cabby who called in this morning. How do you do Wilson? Thanks very much. Wilson may have something on the jewelry store killing. Well, let's hear it.
Speaker 10: Wilson will say, I never thought about it, and I've seen the papers. This morning, all about the hold up and that poor fellow got himself killed yesterday.
Speaker 2: Go on, Wilson, Wills, I was taking me.
Speaker 10: Came along Queensbury Road, you know, about a block from the place where it all happened. When a fellow with a white scene around his neck hops on the running board of affair, so I waves him off. Then I see him going to that big building in the brook building. I think it is a corner of Queensbury and Maidson. You're certain of this, Wilson, Oh, yes, sir. Anything else I'm not so sure of this, inspector, But I think I saw another fellow round in the building after the one what jumped onto my cat.
Speaker 4: Very good, Wilson, Well you may have been quite helpful.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks, get your head, sergeant. We're going exploring.
Speaker 1: The reward of patience, and sooner than expected, but only a bear and vague beginning. This kind of investigation takes long hours and hard work and endless, endless questions up and down the hallways of the large office building, in and out of business offices.
Speaker 5: Did you notice any commotion in the hall yesterday around three o'clock.
Speaker 4: Did a man with a white scarf around his neck. Take your elevator. Around three o'clock yesterday?
Speaker 5: Did you hear any running or anything like that? Around three o'clock yesterday?
Speaker 3: On and on upstairs, downstairs. Nothing? No one noticed anything, nothing irregular, no commotion. How does that is the part or notice anything?
Speaker 8: Two fellows, one of them at a raincoat. I think both of them had white rags around their collars. Sort of your shot of this, Oh, yesterday they seemed in a hurry, sort.
Speaker 2: Of Where did they go? Which office?
Speaker 8: You mean?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't know, sir.
Speaker 8: We went up the stairs just as I was putting some empty waistcns on the service lift.
Speaker 4: Did you see them in again?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: You mention it?
Speaker 8: Yes, I did, well. On the third floor. It was I was taking my mop to the hall. One of them was sort of half sitting on the steer rail. The other fellow was looking out of the hall window that opens under Queensbree.
Speaker 4: Sir.
Speaker 8: They didn't have the white rags, but they were the same fellows. Anything else, no, sir, not that I remember. Oh, Pops Saunders might know something, inspector.
Speaker 4: Oh the Saunders. He drives a van.
Speaker 8: He's been making delivers to this place every afternoon for years.
Speaker 4: Thank you right, Well, let's go, sardon't Maybe mister Saunders does know something. We have your address.
Speaker 1: They reached the street outside just as a large, rather decrepit truck.
Speaker 3: Driven by an equally decrepit elderly man.
Speaker 5: Pulled up for the kurtst You pop, Saunders. Let's be who are you, sergeant would in Scotland yard. This is Inspector Barry's.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: Have I done something?
Speaker 4: No that you may have seen something that will help us? Yes, sir, were you here at this time yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, I'm always here this time of day.
Speaker 4: Well did you notice anyone with a white scarf go into the building running? Perhaps?
Speaker 2: Oh? Those two?
Speaker 4: Yes, I did funny thing. They seemed in such a harry when I met a raincoat.
Speaker 2: They came out later. No scars, no raincoat.
Speaker 3: Now the search is on for a raincoat.
Speaker 1: Scarves, handkerchiefs can go into pockets, not raincoats. The Brook building swarms with police. Every nook and cranny is inspected. In the cellar in a dark corner.
Speaker 5: This must be an inspector. Every other raincoat in the buildings accounted for, not a mark on it.
Speaker 4: Nothing, Try ripping the lining side, and.
Speaker 5: Nothing, sir, except the manufacturer's top tag under the armpit.
Speaker 4: Much but a little at any rate.
Speaker 3: Check the manufacturer from there to the Jaba who bought.
Speaker 1: The lot in which that code was packed, from the Java to the retailer.
Speaker 4: It's times like this I thank Heaven for rationing. At least they have to keep a record of the clothing coupons and the names of everyone who buys anything.
Speaker 1: A thin, tenuous trail and a mountain of sales slips to go through, but nothing strikes a chord of memory, and then the sergeant thinks of something.
Speaker 5: Inspector, when they make out these records, don't they write the last names first?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right they do. Oh well, back over it again.
Speaker 4: Here, How about this Argent mac Stanley the other way, Stanley Mack.
Speaker 11: Remember that name, s Argent Stanley Mack. Not a usual name, Yes, sir, I do. Didn't he testify at a trial about two years ago? He did the trial of Jack Jordston. He was sent away for armed robbery, first offense, light sentence. Now georgetonn't ought to.
Speaker 4: Be out by now, all right, let's get his dossier over here, Sergeant and then invite him in for a talk. It may be interesting if nothing else.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Today that center fire bullet can be seen in the Black Museum. Who's a long chance? One man buys a raincoat. This man happens to be a witness at another man's trial. The defendant is sent to prison for armed robbery under circumstances similar to the case and investigation. The inspector in charge sends for the convicted man's dossier and finds.
Speaker 4: Well so Jack Jeordstone was released from prison six days before the Queen's be killing. Let's have the young man into the yarch, are we, Sergeant, you'll be able to find him easily enough, I think. If not, we can suspect the flight because of guilt, can't send a pickup order out for him.
Speaker 1: Jack Georgeton was found found quite easily in London.
Speaker 7: Look, you have nothing on me, inspector, and you know it.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe not, Sergeant, show mister Georgeton the garment.
Speaker 2: It is Georgeton. You recognize it.
Speaker 4: There's a million raincoats like that, but not bought by Stanley mack.
Speaker 2: Uh that coat you know it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I didn't have nothing against the rain last week when I got out, So Stan give me a coat.
Speaker 4: Oh where did you lose it? I didn't lose it.
Speaker 7: I never lost nothing except a little time recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we know about that. I'll figure you did keep a simple tongue in your head. Georgeton understand, okay, okay? I said, Well, now, since you didn't lose this raincoat, how is it that we found it?
Speaker 7: I uh, I'll loaned it to a fellow. How should I know what he did with it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Who had it?
Speaker 7: I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Now you receive a raincoat as a gift against the raid. Within a matter of days, you'll learn it to someone, But you don't remember to who?
Speaker 7: That's right, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: You try him, sergeant, Yes, sir, speak up now? Who had that? Code?
Speaker 7: I don't remember?
Speaker 5: And maybe I can refresh your memory. My coat's hooked up with a murder? Who had it?
Speaker 7: I don't remember. I don't remember. Your friend, I don't remember. How could they make him remember? Finally they let him go. I think I hold him on.
Speaker 4: Inspector Bowers said, I want a tail on him, Sergeant, twenty four hours a day. We'll pick up his friends one by one and see where he leads us.
Speaker 3: One of those friends was a boy named Rodney Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Let me alone.
Speaker 2: I never did nothing. How old are you Hamilton? Seventeen?
Speaker 4: And you got no right.
Speaker 2: We happen to know that you've been away to a reform school.
Speaker 4: Hamilton. You were caught snatching ladies purses two years ago.
Speaker 3: So what I did me time?
Speaker 4: You don't keep very good company.
Speaker 2: Son.
Speaker 4: Georgeton has been out of prison about a week.
Speaker 3: And we like each other.
Speaker 4: I'll pick me.
Speaker 3: I'm friends.
Speaker 4: Where were you day before?
Speaker 2: Yesterday?
Speaker 4: About two thirty in the afternoon, I am in bed er sleeping late and I was sick, had a fever. We can check that, you know, go ahead check it. I was that.
Speaker 2: I am in bed all afternoon, no.
Speaker 4: Morning, and all night. I was sick. Yes, we know you said that before, now look here.
Speaker 3: But it didn't do any good.
Speaker 1: The boy was obviously afraid, but whether the police or.
Speaker 3: The many knew it was impossible to tell.
Speaker 1: Still, the patience of Scotland Yard was rewarded once again. Her report came in from detectives assigned to follow both Georgetown and Hamilton, and they've been present at a party in a bar given by a third young man named Mattie Canvas.
Speaker 2: Dot here on canvas, Inspector A thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: Nice lad stole a car when he was eleven. Convicted, assault with intent to rob convicted, jewel robbery, convicted armed robbery and assault. Nice. This little trio are three friends.
Speaker 2: Not exactly do you want Canvas brought in?
Speaker 4: Some peers do that? Oh wonder, Sergeant, Bring the other two along, but keep them separated. Don't let any one of them know that we have the other two.
Speaker 1: Nothing highly dramatic, mainly routine Scotland yard routine, recognizable as standard practiced by any policeman in any large city.
Speaker 3: Bring them in for questioning.
Speaker 1: It always helps to have a few facts, facts on which to base the questions. With this in mind and knowing their underworld, Inspector Bowers and Sergeant Wood repaired to that certain bar where Mattie Canvas held parties for its friends.
Speaker 4: Nothing much here, well they maybe keep your ears open another point of ail, please very right, Let.
Speaker 2: Me sit yourself, Miguel, sit yourself. Oh well down the headshide.
Speaker 1: Patience frequent the bar. Wait, keep your ears open, don't talk, just wait.
Speaker 3: Say lady you heah.
Speaker 4: They picked up natty.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and the other two to that kid, Well, I for one age. Sorry, here's a place a bad name. I mean, kids are out with guns in that pockets. Not right, Canvas ain't right? That's for sure. That said o' get bunked out of five thousand quids? Where the stuff gets mad? Where's the kid like that?
Speaker 2: They're rod? Oh, well, so it goes, I will say, not a couple of mines please, miss Oh, yeah, sure.
Speaker 6: There you are.
Speaker 2: Do you know a lad name Canvas?
Speaker 7: Me?
Speaker 2: I don't know nobody. How about a kid named Hamilton. Do you think I'll keep check of everybody comes in here?
Speaker 4: That would be difficult. I thought I heard you mentioned mister Canvas by name. So did my friend here?
Speaker 6: Any thought wrong?
Speaker 10: We don't encoarriage conversation with the other.
Speaker 4: No, I don't suppose you do have a drink on us.
Speaker 7: I'm not certain the iright drinks with cops, mister, More routine, ahead, more routine.
Speaker 3: The inspector and the sergeant aft. They left the buyer.
Speaker 1: They checked descriptions of the men seen at hold ups and robberies prior by some months to the tragedy in Queensboro Street. In one case, a description Talid with Nattie Kanvas. Mister Canvas was invited out of his cell and into the Inspector's office.
Speaker 4: All right, Canvas, you've been identified on the davior's job. You'll do a good long stretch for you. May as well tell us what you know about the Queensbury shooting.
Speaker 1: I don't know nothing.
Speaker 4: Turn King's evidence, Canvas, and you'll get off easily. Otherwise it's a hanging matter.
Speaker 2: You can't pin that one on me. I was miles away. I can prove it.
Speaker 4: I suppose I told you. The kid's been talking his head off.
Speaker 2: Rod talk not in your life. It's too scared. Some of your caddies never out.
Speaker 4: Oh right, Canvas, if that's the way you wanted, take him back, Sarteant. We'll give him plenty of time to think.
Speaker 3: No luck with Georgeton either, But the kid, there's a chance he'd break, just a chance. Inspector took it.
Speaker 4: Look, boy, your pals are saying that you held a gun that killed a fellow in the Queensberry hold up. I never had a gun. Maybe they're framing you, lad. After all, you're pretty young seventeen. You won't hang they will so naturally, they say, it was you.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I never touched the gun. Member says you did that. You had the thirty two all the time.
Speaker 4: I never did.
Speaker 2: They can't say it, they can't, but they do.
Speaker 5: Both of them told me it looks to us like they got together to put the job on you.
Speaker 4: Well, why shouldn't they. They might have to die.
Speaker 2: There were only two guns.
Speaker 12: They had them.
Speaker 2: You've got to believe that you gun.
Speaker 4: We don't have to believe anything except evidence.
Speaker 12: If you had the guns. If I told you where they were, I said it. I didn't mean to talk.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: I did keep talking. Lad.
Speaker 4: It's the only way to save your neck, my neck, if you held that gun and pull that trigger.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 12: We threw the guns away, both of them, the forty five many Adams, the two jackead We threw them in the river from the key at the Langshare Wolf. If you can find them, you'll see, heybe, there'll be fingerprints.
Speaker 2: You've gotta find them guns.
Speaker 12: You gotta.
Speaker 13: Ballistic reports, inspector. The forty five fire the bullet and in the woodwork. The thirty two killed the man in the street. And it's funny. Half the cartridges in the thirty two were rim fire. The other half was center fire. Those didn't go off. If they had, chances are there'd have been a lot more murder.
Speaker 1: And today, if you're interested, you can find that center fire bullet in a place of honor in the Black Museum.
Speaker 6: Orson Wells will be back with you in just a moment.
Speaker 1: It's an accepted fact in police work that eighty percent of the occupants of our prison either were talked there or talk themselves there.
Speaker 3: In this case, it.
Speaker 1: Was ancient police routine, plus the talking of young Rod Hamilton, which put Rod behind bars for the rest of his life and brought Georgeton and Canvas to the thirteen steps and the rope one morning at eight o'clock. There's a PostScript of this story. The use of a gun by an English criminal is rare, nor in England do the police go armed in their normal course of duty. The Hamilton case was one of the more obvious symptoms of a post war disease of violence. The death of Georgetown and Canvas was not without its effect on this disease. For days, weeks, and even months after their execution, pistols, guns, knives, many of them perhaps innocent wartime souvenirs. Others of more dubious origin were found by the police on rubbish sheeps, disused gardens on the mud banks of the River Thames. The criminal world of London had come to terms with their traditional enemies at Scotland Yard, and perhaps after all the innocent men had not.
Speaker 3: Died in vain.
Speaker 1: The bullet that killed him, a center fire bullet, remains in its customary place in the Black Museum.
Speaker 3: And now until we meet.
Speaker 1: Next time in the same place, I tell you another story about the Black Museum. I remain as always obedient for yours