Speaker 1: This is Dan Caplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Right you're hearing glad it's light out. You know. I know it's a bumpy day or two right when we spring four, but man, it is so nice to have it out, have it light this late. I mean, Ryan heroic yesterday right, filling in on short notice. I was in court and I'm so happy. We're trying to case up in Boulder that starts next Monday, probably go about a couple of weeks. And you know, I started practicing law and Boulder and practice there for many years and did so much work in that courthouse. And it was so cool to walk back in yesterday. And then when we come out of court, and we got out of court after six last night and it's still light out, and that is just so cool. Right, And whoever is talking about changing all this so that it's going to get dark and at seven o'clock in the summer in Colorado, No, just stop that, right now.
Speaker 2: Keep it right here, we sprung forward. Yeah, we're now at daylight saving time. This is what we want, Dan, You and I could not agree more. We want the late night sunsets in the summer, come what may. In the winter it's dark anyway, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's cold out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what good is it going to do?
Speaker 1: You'd have it light out in the winter right at six or seven at night, nobody cares. Oh honey, let's go freeze our tails off in the light instead of.
Speaker 2: The dark, right now, Rick Scott, and you know Senator Florida, And there's been several other Republicans, I think Marco Rubio, who I was in the Secretary of State so we wouldn't have a vote, but they have advocated to keep us locked in. And I think at this time for daylight saving time and just never fall back again. I'm on board with that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And I can't figure out who's arguing for the other and why. I just don't get that, because listen, not all months are created equal, right, And we all know in life, it's like seasons of life, and summertime it's just such precious time for almost every buddy, and you just you don't want to mess with that, so anyway, we'd like it the way it is right now. And who wants to move back? I mean, whoever sits around saying I want to go backwards in my life? That's really what I'm after, is going backwards in my life? Who does that? No, everybody wants to spring forward in their life. Yeah, speaking of which, we got a lot going on, so jump in on any of this, police, I am still studying. I think it's absolutely fascinating because I think it ties into a bunch of other stuff, not just religious stuff. But I think it's fascinating that we had this big explosion in Ash Wednesday turnout last week at least from everything I'm saying and experiencing, and it looks like it was around the world. So is it just tied into kind of this springtime, this worldwide springtime that the election of Trump has been kind of a catalyst to Yeah, I don't know, but we're talking about three h three someone three eight two five five techs d an five seven seven three nine now that this whole political season is heating up. I really, I really would love to get your take on what do you think it would take for the GOP to win in Colorado against statewide because let's face it, I mean, you're looking at this open governor's office and you're looking at Hickenlooper, and there's no reason at this point to think that either or both are insurmountable. So what do you think it would take to actually get there? And I think it's a good conversation to have on this show because I think a lot of Republicans have kind of given up. Not that they're quitters, that's just not the inherent nature of conservatives or conservatism, but I just think just kind of rationally, an awful lot of people on the right have just concluded it's not doable. Maybe some of y are some time, but not now. And what would it take to change that perception? That's an easy one to answer, right, It just takes somebody getting into a raise, generating some buzz, getting some good polling, and then people just rationally look at it and say, Okay, there may be a chance here. I think other people, Ryan, I think a lot of people are thinking that you know that the Colorado GOP, the Colorado GOP, and these upcoming elections, Colorado GOP comes out of that strong. I think that's going to make a lot more people think that there really is a chance here President Trump. I saw a headline up on the screen, Ryan, but we were in that very important interview with adf Did you see that headline? It may just be more fake news that President Trump has said that he is going to make this destruction of Tesla's destruction of Tesla's a what are they going to call it? Active domestic terrorism? Right? Domestic terrorism? Is that story true? Okay? Yeah, yeah, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I think something needs to be done because nobody on the left end, if you notice, has stood up and spoken out against this, which should be an obvious slam dunk. The Democrats just can't figure this out. There are radical, lunatic leftists who are setting charging stations on fire, trying to destroy Tesla cars at dealerships, and again, nobody on the left is going, you know what, that's a bridge too far. We don't like what Elon's doing either, but that's not the answer.
Speaker 1: Here's a perfect example of CNN headline up right now, Trump sinks stocks with trade war, but jumps into save musk. Wait a second, First of all, believe me, I feel the pain like everybody else does. Right, now when we see our four oh one case, etc. Take a hit over the last week or two, but stocks have not been sunk. There's no rational version of this where any of us can say it's been sung. Yeah, it's painful, but nobody's lost any money yet unless you've sold and the stocks have not been tanked. You see that word often right now too, And I just think we're going through a painful period as Trump pursues very important structural change. Is he right about what will create the structural change? I sure hope so, And he's earned at least my trust at this point, and I hope America gives him time because he's right about one thing, right. I mean, if we keep going on this economic track we're on right now, take Colorado taken nationally, this is going to end very badly. There's just no doubt it's going to end very badly. I mean that the state won't go broke because the state has tabor in effect, as much as the left wants to kill it, but the nation will reach that cliff. We all know that. But even worse than that, and I know that's pretty bad. Even worse than that, in the meantime, is just in people mocked Trump for saying this in connection with terrorists, but he's right. The soul of America, because we are flesh and blood. The economic piece of it is critical, right, I mean, you need to eat and everything else in it's critical in a lot of ways. But the soul of America, the flesh and blood of America, our happiness is a nation, our togetherness is a nation. We cannot continue on the current economic track and expect to have that because there's too much haves and have nots. And that's not have and have nots. And that's not faulting the people who are prospering. I'm sure there are a few knuckleheads in there, but the point isn't to be jealous of the folks who are prospering. The point is we've got to in a purely free market kind of way, we've got to be altering the economic arc so that the rest of the people have a fair opportunity. And again, the starting point is, you don't blame the folks who are prospering. Now, yeah, a handful of cheaters or criminals or whatever out there, but that doesn't represent the majority. You're not going to get anywhere, you know, just just resenting, killing off over taxing the job creators. But unless we have some structural change in America that opens up the path for everybody else, then yeah, that the soul of America's is going to be shattered. We're not going to have a nation in the truest sense, and we're going to be undermining ourselves economically. The big problem we have is we've got a left that has a life and death vested interest in keeping most people down economically, and they start with people of color. And they've got to keep people down economically because the data is clear, once people start to make seventy grand or more, a majority are going to vote Republican. So the left has to keep people down. So they put all these policies in place designed to keep people down economically. And Trump's trying to do some structural things to blast that and to open things up. You know, picture clogged arteries, right, and you've got to run a balloon in there to open up the arteries and get that blood flowing. Now, Trump's trying to make some big time structural change, trying to clear some arteries out, and there are a few core ways to do that, but there's going to be pain in the meantime. Have you ever had that done, Ryan, where somebody runs something India and they use a balloon or something clear out some arteries.
Speaker 2: Thank god, No, not yet Oka at age fifty.
Speaker 1: I haven't either. But my guess is there's a little bit of pain associated.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard it from my uncle. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's gonna be some pain associated with these structural changes. But the alternative is to just stay on the same track. And if Trump just paper over it, which you could have easily done, just papered over it by borrowing more, etc. But no, I think he's a man on a mission to make some long term change to benefit you know that the working people of America. You know, the folks who've been deprived of opportunity in America. Yeah, I think he's on a mission, and I trust him and for me, you know, my own four oh one K and all that other stuff. Yeah, it's been a real painful week or two. But I'm willing to endure that pain. And of course I'm betting. Yeah, you know, I haven't lost a diamon until I sell right, right.
Speaker 2: And let's keep our eyes on the prize here a little bit. Dan it's a marathon, not a sprint. And Donald Trump has done a good job of coming out of the gate quick the executive orders and trying to pummel Democrats with one issue after the other. But this is going to be a slog. It's a four year run. It's a two year run that matters before the midterm elections. And he can't be prisoners of the moment. They'll tell you that too in financial advising as well. Pump the brakes a little bit. It's not even been two full months since he's been president. He has a vision, he has a plan, stick to the script, trust the process. Just write it out. It's going to be fine. That's my advice.
Speaker 1: And when we come back, I'll tell you why I think Trump's right if he is in fact saying that this movement out there now to target Tesla's is a form of domestic terrorism, and some text somewhat it takes to have the Republican Party win, and I think the first one is way off. It says Colorado Republicans need to bend on some issues. Let's take that on because I think that would be the immediate exit rimp to oblivion. You're on the DAN Capla.
Speaker 2: Show and now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 1: He said, Look, we're going to have disruption, but we're okay with that. Is that what you meant the stock market going downs? The disruption? What on the reuption where you were alluding to, Look, what I have to do is build a strong country. You can't really watch the stock market. If you look at China, they have one hundred year perspective. We have a quarter by quarters. That's true, and you can't go by that. You have to do what's right. What we're doing is we're building a tremendous foundation for the future. Tremendous foundation. Yeah, and I trust him. I have no problem saying that. I think he's earned that trust, and conceptually I love what he's doing. He's trying to make this kind of structural change. Was I'm no expert on tariffs. I don't know if this is the best way to do it. I just know the old way is not working well enough, and anybody who's being honest about it would say that. And we cannot abandon free market. I'm not talking about any of that, but the old way for the reasons I talked about before the break in my opinion, is not working even close to well enough. So let's go to the phone lines, get some text and I you know, think about it. Think how much you have to respect this guy because it would have been so easy for him. Right, He's off to the best start any president we can remember. And then all he has to do on the economic front is doing most other presidents do and just keep borrowing money, you know, keep it everybody on a sugar high, and then leave it to the next guy or gal down the road to take the beating. But he's not doing that, and I respect the heck out of him for that. He really, he really wants to leave a legacy of change, and I believe it very very committed to the working people of America because that's who stands to really benefit. And then we all benefit from that, right, But that's who stands to really benefit. Chris in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado, home to one of the great resorts of the world, which is amazing. Ryan, have you been to the Broad Moor?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Nobod, I've heard all about it. Oh you have got to go. Okay you and your bride? Hello, Yeah, yeah, you've got I mean, it's just one of the great responds to the world. Chris, you are here. It may not feel like that or seem like that, but you are. Thank you, my friend.
Speaker 3: Have you been to the Broadkon No? Uh, yeah, they have an intent wine selection at one of the restaurants there. Yeah, I appreciate greatly, pretty good golf course. I was cold to say that. No, I don't think they called him to go wednestate wide election in the street for a while, buzzkill. I mean, you know, you know, when I first got here, was a guy named Corey who is our state or you are a senator, and some people seem not to like him to be on the line. You know, I got to spend a lot of time with this guy, Joe O'Day running through the US Senate. Yeah, he seemed like a perfectly good candidate. It's like, really rational guy, so we can get along with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joe daves awesome in every way. But one.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, okay, you know my wife is austin every day.
Speaker 1: But one depends on what that one is. If the one is that she's cheating on you, it's a pretty big one. And I'm not saying she is.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she's well, I'm sure that Joe They wasn't cheating on me either.
Speaker 1: But Chris, and listen the Joe Day sing.
Speaker 3: Thisicians, I was.
Speaker 1: Not suggesting any intimacy. What I was saying, Chris, is the Joe Day Sing is a great, great example for us because I like him and I view him. I view him as an A plus candidate in every way but one. But that one is foundational and and it just goes to my point that no matter what your position may be on what abortion policy should be in Colorado and America, if a Republican nominee for statewide office is pro abortion, they are losing, and they are losing badly because they're going to lose an awful lot of Republicans. And then there's no way they're going to win pro abortion votes because if that's somebody's priority, they're going to vote for the abortion maniacs. They're going to vote for the abortion machine.
Speaker 3: Well look, man, I mean, I don't know if you're looking around the state that closely thought, you know this is a libertarian state. Most people stay a.
Speaker 1: Libertarian whoa, whoa, my brother, my brother.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's to spare my idea. A whole lot one second, and then you know, and then and then when I was talking people with Vicky Tonkins and she said that Colorado just needs more conservative leadership. Yes, she didn't need more number conservatives, she meant more quality conservatives. Yes, And that's that's obviously not winning well in the state.
Speaker 1: But then the question is how do you win?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And so what you're suggesting, Chris and and other people have before is that the GOP needs to give up its pro life position and become pro abortion. And what I'm saying is, oh, okay, then I misread you, Joe O'Day is exhibit A that ain't working, and it's never gonna work, and it shouldn't work. And in terms of Colorado being libertarian, you know, we could waste time on definitions, but if you're talking at that point about personal freedom, I would agree with you on that in terms of ballot measures, etc. But obviously in our libertarian friends would never suggest this. You're gonna have some lines, right, I mean, somebody should not have the liberty, for example, to have a slave right rhetorical but okay, But for the same reason, somebody shouldn't have the liberty to take an innocent person's life. And that is a matter of medical fact, is what abortion does. But here's how Republicans can win. I mean, Republicans can win by making people's lives better while staying true to conservative principles. That's how you win. You don't win by running around with five talking points on these and principles that are so important. You run around by saying, here's how I'm gonna make your life better, and here's why it's really gonna work, and here's why it's consistent with these big principles that will let us be better forever. That's how you win. Is there a flaw in that logic? My friend?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I haven't seen it happen yet in your state, and you know in a couple other states that might work. You know, I used to live in Tennessee and that'll work in Tennessee. Is like yourself lives in Chicago and that's not gonna work space, And you gotta you gotta win first, yeah, and then then the people get to give you the key. Well, we'll give you the kings until you win.
Speaker 1: Right, But how do you win? And you're a great color, Chris, thank you. How do you win? You win by you have to have the right candidate, obviously, but then you have to convince people because it has to be real, improvable. I am going to make your life better in these specific, exciting, major ways, and here's why and how it's gonna work. That's how you break through. You're on the Dan.
Speaker 2: Kaplish you're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 1: Did you number the year in that song?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: God, seventies, early seventies? Say where were you in the song? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, no, That's that's why I mentioned that because I was, I think early in my CU career. Yeah. Yeah, what a song man, that's epic. Glad you're here. Three O three someone three eight two five five the number techs d A N five seven seven three nine. Congratulations to our son Joe. His team won the big semi finals in their law school moot court competition. Over four hundred people attending in the courtroom. Really big deal. So it's moot he's been Yeah you got mock trial or say you're simulating a trial, right, and then moot court is where you're simulating an appellate process, a US Supreme Court argument. So at a school they bring in some circuit court justices, some appellate court justes at the federal level. And then you know, there are like tons of teams made up of law school students who compete and and Joe's privileged being a team that got all the way to the Semis and then then one last night in the Semis against all other really good team. Yeah, just so proud of them because whatever kids are into, right, they're owing the different stuff, but just the work and the work ethic and just working around the clock. And you'll love to see that rewarded with the big victory. So yeah, congrats to them and to all of the kids. I call them kids, some of them probably older than I am. But eight five five four zero five eight two five five the number text d A N five seven seven three nine. Programming note for tomorrow, we're going to be talking about this study that's out is sports gambling now that we've had a few years to see how it rolls out here pun intended? Is sports gambling undermining Colorado? Is it putting a lot of families on the brink financially? Is it taking a whole lot of money out of the mainstream economy? So and listen, hey, you know, look at my phone right now, I got my MGM app and I do some legal sports betting, small time stuff, but it could be kind of fun, and I happen to be particularly good at it. Not to brag or anything. I don't recommend it as a hobby, but but I enjoy it. But yeah, it this study does not surprise me. Would it surprise you at all? Ryan? If because right now, I mean, you know, our kids are out of the house, and I just do small time stuff anyway, But would it surprise you if there were a bunch of you know, young families and everything else where you know, where all of a sudden a bet goes bad and then it's hard to pay the bills that week. And don't mean anybody's a bad person or doesn't love their kids or anything else, but this stuff can get pretty addictive.
Speaker 2: There's an episode of Sopranos that really stands out. If you remember the policeman from Terminator two, the actor that portrays him that he kind of melds into different forms. Well, he plays this a sporting goods store owner and he gets in debt to Tony Soprano after a poker game gone bad, and you can kind of imagine where it goes from there. The mob bleeds him dry, he loses his son's college fund. I mean, yeah, it can get real serious in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so much easier when it's an app, right, and you can do it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel like the same when you're at a table betting chips on blackjack or poker and you lose them. You feel that when you're on an app, it almost kind of desensitizes you to it.
Speaker 1: And it's right, it's just so easy. It's me. It's just so easy.
Speaker 2: Never bet more than you're comfortable losing, right, which is easy to say, I know.
Speaker 1: And all I'm saying is I I believe these studies. I believe this study. Now, I'm not saying it shouldn't be legal. I'm just saying, let's be honest about what's going on out there. Oh yeah, And then you also get into the money it takes out of the mainstream economy correct and takes out of state. You know, you get into those issues as well. Again, the point isn't at the end of this rainbow we say you can't do that. I mean, it's a free society, but let's be realistic about the price that's being paid for certain things. That's that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think I take after my dad on this front, and in a good way, is that we neither of us are big gamblers. And I kind of took this from him, I believe, because I hate losing so much more than I enjoy winning.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Period, The only significant gambling that I ever did, and it wasn't crazy stuff. But before I got married, do you remember a guy named Mike Florax. Yeah, I know the name, right, Mike Florax used to be Lewis and floor x or Lewis still a great, great radio personality and a great human. But before I got married, and it was just me and my dog, and you know, I would get into some games with Mike and we'd get into Wax. We get into some games with Fag so it's very very good golfer, and those games would get significant. But the funny thing is it didn't even have to wait till I got married. As soon as I got engaged, that wasn't fun anymore, you know what I mean? It was it was fun to go play with Mike and all that, and I love the thrill of you got to make this potter, you're going to throw up. Yeah, But even once I got engaged, it's like it wasn't my money anymore. And believe me, that's not Amy's attitude. Amy. Amy's the best in the world when it comes to that kind of stuff and everything.
Speaker 2: Really, but you feel accountable to her as well. Yeah, like it's not your money anymore, right, it's your like our money yours and.
Speaker 1: A right, right and so yeah, But until then it was Yeah, that's the only time I got into anything really meaningful. But but yeah, hey, now by business people get to do what they want to do. There, I can just see where it really could be a big problem right now in Colorado. Not the biggest problem we have. No, what's the biggest problem we have.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say it right now, based on what we've been covering, Dan and I can break this too. I believe there's going to be a part two to the Columbine High School grooming story from Seawan Boyd on CBS four upcoming. I believe it's early next week.
Speaker 1: Is you're gonna have mom.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that yet, uh, in communication obviously, Lindsay, Dad Co, Jeff Co kids First, Yeah, great in my view, and having interviewed Aaron Lee yesterday, I think it's our education system at war with parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you speaking of Aaron Lee, and this is, you know how ironic. We didn't have time to work on it yesterday because I was in court and it was a real privilege to be in court until six o'clock last night. I mean, that's just that is great stuff. But what I'm saying is we need to be lining up some day new blog right to fill in for me when I'm in these jury trouts, because I've got seven between now and the end of the year. The first one starts next Monday. And what about adding Aaron Lee to that list. I'll text her right now, Yeah, because she starts doing great work. Oh yeah, she's good, great work, real good at what she does. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched her documentary last night and Art Club, which was anything but an art club.
Speaker 1: And for those who don't know Aaron Lee, she went through this horrible experience where her daughter was being transitioned at school without her knowledge, right, and then she found out and she saved her daughter, and now she's championing this for all parents.
Speaker 2: Well, it was under false pretenses too. They told Odd it's this art club, Win Art Club, and it's an LGBTQ and doctrination club. Which if it's such a great thing, why wouldn't you just be out in the open about that and honest about it? Why would you be cloke and dagger. So Aaron helped put together this documentary called Art Club. You can find it on YouTube or online and I watched it last night. Just jaw a Gape. Dan ad so many hurdles, obstacles, adversarial relationships. And it was not her fault or her husband's the parents of this young girl who is not sixteen. It's just there are many of these administrators and staff are determined to drive a wedge between parents and their kids.
Speaker 1: But think about the attitude, right like this Columbine story with covering, where where you had people at the school Jeffco County Schools, you had people at the school who were signing forms behind the parents back to have this this child declared homeless so the child could be moved into with the teacher. At the same time the child was being preyed upon by another teacher. But just part of this attitude, and I'm not saying all teachers share it. But part of this attitude way too prevalent, and government runs schools that they're not Your kids are our kids. We know better, you know what they and we're going to do what we want with nipping right with the point you just made in the bud and putting a fine point on it. We need more teachers, good teachers, and these public schools and I know it won't be easy, but you've got to speak out and call out what's going on in these school for what it is. My brother, we have the easiest fix in the world, the simple, easiest fix. It's been the secret sauce American success from the beginning. It's competition. If you had true school choice, this kind of blank that you saw out of Columbine, this kind of blank that you see with Aaron's kids, it would not exist because a school like that, if they pull some stuff like that. In a true free market education economy where middle and lower income parents are economically empowered because they can take that money that's going to be spent at the public school and they can go to these private schools that are popping up because now parents have the money to pay for them. Because the parents have been empowered that way. Then at that point a school wouldn't dare pull what they pulled at Columbine because that school would would be economically devastated. Nobody would want to go there. Everybody would leave, and they'd have the ability to leave because they'd have true school choice. That's how you fix all this in a heartbeat. It really literally hurts my heart to say that about Columbine because I think of the greatness of Columbine and the greatness of Columbine after that horrific attack on Columbine. But yeah, you, schools wouldn't even dream of doing this because the free market would rise up against them and punish them for doing it. But right now they don't face any punishment for doing that on any level. Exhibit A for school choice.
Speaker 2: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 5: I thank you so much, but I've always wanted a partner to be on the same wavelength, and so today I can't.
Speaker 1: Leaves them at the altar over politics. He's mega.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, but I don't want that to be misunderstood. I still love you, and everything about you is amazing, and I care about.
Speaker 1: You so much. I care about you too. I love you so much, and I know I want to stay with you.
Speaker 2: I keep growing our relationship if you will let you save the man.
Speaker 1: See, I'll talk about that.
Speaker 5: I know that the connection we have is so real and my heart is there. But we've talked about a lot of the values that I hold so close.
Speaker 1: To my heart.
Speaker 5: Making this decision, my mind is telling me I can't.
Speaker 1: Then she leaves them at the altar. How many relationships do you think break up over politics? I understand there are probably a bunch that just never get going, right. And how many of those couples out there right now are opposites? Right? I wonder? I wonder. I think it's a lot fewer, beautiful Bride. I mean, you guys are a lying political very much so Kelly and Adam right, you're aligned politically? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I think. I think Amy and I are the exception.
Speaker 2: It was a different time though, back when you two met, and I think it's changed so much.
Speaker 1: Dan, we're not the flint Stones.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying that it was a lot more conceivable that. Oh I voted for Clinton, Oh I voted for Dole.
Speaker 1: Oh well, dude, what history books are you reading?
Speaker 2: I mean, we political differences were they were not a.
Speaker 1: Ninety three married in ninety four. Yeah, yeah, no, it was pretty intense. Yeah yeah, I mean just political differences. We're pretty intense back then the Clinton Oh yeah, nothing compared to now. Well it's getting worse over time, yeah, but no, no, yeah, so no, what what percentage of couples? And I'd love to hear from somebody say, if you're in a couple where you know your politics, just agree and listen with Amy and me. I mean, I'll see if she's still a registered Democrat. She was for at least the first twenty nine years of our marriage. But she's not some crazy far lefty. I mean John McCain asked her to host a town hall firm she did that, things like that. I mean, no, she's a thinking person who just you know, does what she feels is right. But she's not a prisoner of a political party.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: But it is kind of remarkable she made this one decision, you know what I mean? You mean you yeah, I mean, it's maybe that's something to do with maybe my plan work proposing on air, right, because it's a little harder to say no when you know the guy's going to be like banished from civilized world.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm going to put it this way. No man has ever had more brass, let's just put it that way than you in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those were metallic body parts at that moment, there was no doubt about it, because there would not have been any place to hide. No, rely on the face of the earth, there would have been no place to hide.
Speaker 2: Was there even one percent of you that was unsure or was it even more than that.
Speaker 1: There was a big percent of me that was unsure.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: We had never talked about marriage. D the word, the M word had never been spoken. No, never talk about shooting your shot. Damn. You got to life short, right, It's like a half court for short life short. Well, she was merciful. That was a sympathy. Yes, but I'll take it. I remember I found almost thirty one years later, I found I did. I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: I have the sound in the archives at the reprise that you know it was right?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, But it was such an intense personal experience. That's why I've never watched the video. You've never watched the video? Yeah, damn that.
Speaker 2: I was there, you lived.
Speaker 1: I was there. Yeah, there's this one angle that you can't see in the video. And if you're new to the show, thank you if you wonder what we're talking about. I had My wife was this phenomenal star news anchor on Channel four in Denver. I was the legal reporter, and I decided that I was going to propose. And we never talked about marriage, but I was going to propose, and I was going to do it during the newscast. I just thought it would bring a lot of joy and be a lot of fun and increase my chances she'd say yes. And so I went to legendary big boss Roger Ogden, just this big, big time national media executive happened to be the top guy Channel four. And I talked to Roger and explained, you know why I wanted to do it. It would just be a very positive thing. And he thought about a good guy and he said, yeah, go ahead and do it. And I remember I and as I was walking into the studio and like I'd got in the ring and everything, I'm walking into the studio, Roger literally comes running down the hall behind me saying, don't do it. I changed my mind and I turned around and looked at him, consummate respect for Roger and just said too late.
Speaker 2: He was at messing with you.
Speaker 1: No, he had changed his mind, lord wow, And so I just said sorry too late, walked into the studio and fortunately she said, yes, rest is history. We should talk someday on the show about you know, couples out there who just have opposite political views and how they navigate it. For us, it's not genius, right, I mean, we just don't talk politics. Don't tell yeah, we don't talk politics. Yeah. But and there's plenty other things to talk about. Glad you're with us today, Lots to do. Tomorrow we will talk about this new peace out. Is legalized sports gambling in Colorado doing a lot of damage, causing a lot of families to be on the edge financially, taking money out of the mainstream economy. Not talking about making it illegal, but just talking about is that the reality of it that much more? Tomorrow. Thank you ran tremendous job. As always, Kelly, You're the best. Join us tomorrow please on the Dan Kapla Show.