Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Policy and Rights show up, Gosh, Welcome to Policy that Human Joys. Hey, welcome back to Policy and Rights Here Depictions Media Radio. I'm your host, Michael Cloggs. Tragedy struck last week. I'm speaking to today on February on Family Day, and I wanted to speak speak also about a little bit about tumblr Ridge. And we're going to hear from UH last last week's recordings of from the RCMP, from UH political figures such as Mark Karney as they talk about tumblr Ridge and other a few other people that spoke about tumblr Ridge and what actually happened that particular day. I don't want to run through a series of events so that we see the path of the shooter. That doesn't matter. One things I do want to squash for it very quickly is the fact that the person was trans but this did not cause them to go out and shoot. What we need to understand is what may have actually caused them to shoot. And as records turn out that this person had received mental health treatments and those mental health treatments ended abruptly, the question is in only the person who was administering these treatments, and the health system can answer the question why did these treatments stop so suddenly? Who ended them? Was it the shooter? Then we have a simple set of answers. But these things will come out through investigation, and I urge you, especially if you're a resident in British Columbia, to keep a close eye on this and see what actually pops up. Why was the mental health treatments ended? Well, we know that mental health in British Columbia is under crisis. There's other areas of health care that are also under crisis, but mental health especially. We also know that mental health causes different types of delusions. Maybe this person was delusional. We don't We don't know because we can't actually ask that question because the person killed themselves. But the other question is is knowing that this other other part, that the weapons that were used in the shooting which started in in this in the visuals home, because he killed mother and siblings, the father of the house was excluded or probably because he was out at work doing the responsible thing, earning a living for the home excluded him from being shot by chance, not to by design, I'm sure, but we need to ask questions about mental health. If these weapons had been removed because there was a person a person within the home who was under treatment for mental health, why were the weapons returned? Maybe we need to examine those rules around owning a gun and decide if there's a person a individual in the house there's under certain types of mental health care, should these weapons be left there? Or should or should the police and authorities government confiscate these weapons. Hindsight is twenty twenty on that one. But how do we fix the mental health so that the treatment wouldn't have ended? And how do we fix the mental health? If a person shows signs of mass destruction, mass shootings and harming of others, why weren't they placed in the hospital? Something to be asked out of the mental health providers? What was miss that we we didn't see that this person could have been capable of shooting other individuals in a community. We need to examine those signs again, hindsight being twenty twenty. But if we know this knowledge and we learn from it, then we can prevent other things from happening. We can flag things so that other lives will be saved. So what actually went wrong before that day that cause an individual to take a gun and start shooting at people. One of the other things is is how we look at mental health and what should be considered mental health. Is the idea, and this is a touchy subject, is the idea of bigotry. Should there be a mental health registry and a criminal registry for those who commit hate crimes? Should we have a list and know in our community who out there has committed a hate crime? We have it for sexual predators. Why don't we have it for bigots and and and those who want to promote hate in our in our community? Would that have helped this situation at tumblr Ridge? Knowing that there are people out there who would hate another individual for being different, knowing that they exist in the neighborhood, would that have helped? It's a good question to ask ourselves what would what would have helped in this situation to stop an individual shoot from from a mass shooting before the mass shooting ever started. Some good questions to ask our officials as they returned to Parliament or to the legislator. What can we put in our communities so that we don't see the levels of hatred that we do, Because hatred also extends out to other different crimes in SORR ABC, there have an extreme problem of extortion that that one MLA is as asking that the whole case be turned over to the Any Crime the Anti Gang Unit in order to figure out what is going on. And we know that a lot of gangs were created out of hatred for another set of individuals. It isn't just about drugs. So how do we prevent some of these mental health things from happening, and how do we put an end to hatred and bigotry in our communities so that we see less violence overall. So let's just at this point listen to those who recorded something about Tumblin Ridge. We're going to hear from our the individuals who are in investigating with the r C m P as they made some statements. These statements were made shortly after the whole thing happened. And we're gonna listen to other UH individuals as they talk about, well, maybe we need to have a place in our communities to stop the violence.
Speaker 3: Kay Asia na Usa chessa Eta and son at Lashka Kuan's a i Kwan's tech Uh the Lakong. My honorable friends, my name is Jeanie George I'm from here Laquongan. Thank you for coming here. Welcome to the home territory of the la Quingan people. Thank you on behalf of song These Nation. We send our deepest condolences to tumble Ridge and surround them with our love and our prayers and our strength.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: For opening our proceedings at great honor and that that you have grounded us to these lines. Thank you so much, on behalf of all the members here in the house. I want to acknowledge that you know we are gathering on the unseeded territory, traditional territory of the Lukongan speaking people known as Songies and Scrimere Nations.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: No, I invite Mary, invite uh Elder Mary and Thomas of the Squaremar Nation to offer a prayers.
Speaker 6: My borrowed name is Mary Ann Thomas from Squimal Nation, and today I'm really honoring our speaker in each and every one of you, just Squimal Nation territory. I really welcome you, and my heart goes out to each and everyone for the tragic you know, the creators really telling telling us something, you know, our prayers and for each and every one of us. We need to really look at each other and walk hand in hand because you know the prayers is it helps us. It takes the stress away here because when you eat it the way it helps us. Like if we want something, we gotta work for it, we gotta earn it. But our prayers come in today, it reaches out all the ones that are in sorrow because each community goes through all this in our home hometown. But I just really wanted to honor this home, honoring the Speaker's home because you know this is where we deal with everything, Honoring each and every one of you of wherever you come from. That we're uniting today showing the old people we can walk together and our prayers will reach all wherever everybody needs that help, because you know you and I are precious from our parents' grandparents. And I really lift up my hands to each and every one of you that the fields you're working working for the people, because you know, I honor this home just like our in our reserve, we honor the longhouse where we do baptizing, we do marriages. When we have to bring people together where we talk about things and move on. That we have everybody involved with what we do, just like today, I really thank the speaker for bringing us all together together to bring the blessing of this meeting today. You know things are shortened, but you know we're honoring where the people are suffering because we all go through that when we lose a loved one that we you know, keep the good memories and be honest with ourselves with the people in your community, because that love is the greatest thing in life. Because there's no room for anger, no room for judgmental that makes the problem bigger. But when we look at each other and accepting each other hand in hand working, you accomplish things, your dreams being met. But I welcome each and every one of you in this beautiful home because when I come in here, I always ask the old people some hello, the ancestors. Can I come into your home to meet all our brothers and sisters. Life's too short to be having any enemies. We gotta love each other, love each other, help each other. Because the day is so alive. The sunset down at the end of the day, we pray for tomorrow. Iich got see him.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Eldore thomas On behalf of all the Let's later members We always very appreciative for you to come.
Speaker 4: Here and for your blessing. Thank you so much. I also want to please.
Speaker 5: I also want to have four members of the Legislative this family. I would like to welcome many friends, family and guests joining us today. Thank you for being here with us this afternoon. We will now wait for Her Honor the Lieutenant Governor to.
Speaker 4: Come to the house.
Speaker 7: Please be seated everyone.
Speaker 8: Today.
Speaker 9: I bring this message from the throne and from the sacred territories of the Lukwangan, Songhi's and Esquimalt people with respect, compassion and sympathy. We begin this session with heavy hearts following the tragedy in tumblr Ridge. Our thoughts are with the victims, the loved ones, and a tight knit community suffering unimaginable pain. We hold them in our prayers and stand with them in their grief. Today, the people of tumblr Ridge are wrap wonders, the healthcare workers, the teachers and the school workers whose courage and swift action help save lives. Their service reflects the very best of our rovens. In times of sorrow, British Columbians come together. May we carry that spirit forward, supporting the community and one another in the days and months ahead. If I may just take a moment and on a personal note, like His Majesty King Charles, her Majesty the Queen and her Excellency Mary Simon, I wish to add my personal message of deep love and support to everyone in the community, the community of tumblr Ridge and that is affected by this tragedy. As a mother, it's absolutely impossible to comprehend the pain and the sorrow that people are experiencing. Nobody thinks for a moment that you will send your child or your loved one oft in the morning and that they will not return. My heart aches for everyone in this situation, and again we send our deep appreciation to the first responders and healthcare workers. When Mayor Darryl Krakauka was asked many times how can we help, he said, so many times, you can offer a hug. And I think that that is very wise because at a time of deep grief, often we retreat and we withdraw, but what often helps the healing process as well is connectivity. I want the people of tumblr Ridge to know unequivocally that we are always here for you, and we will always have a hug waiting for you.
Speaker 10: For being here today. I am Sergeant Vanessamund with the bc RCMP Communications and I will be your moderator today. I understand that there are many questions regarding the tragic incident that occurred in tumblr Ridge yesterday. Bc RCMP Commanding Officer Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald will provide a statement shortly and will be available to take questions afterwards. Additionally, for any French speaking reporters, we have Corporal Alex Berube available online to respond to questions in French as well.
Speaker 4: Sir, good afternoon, Good morning everybody. Thank you for coming. And I recognize the significant interest not only the media but the public have in this event, so I will endeavor to do my best to inform you as up to date as possible to provide some information moving forward about how we will manage our communications. I'll just start with a review of the incident from yesterday. So on February tenth, that approximately one twenty pm Pacific Center time, at Tumblrridge RCMP received a report of an active shooter at tumblr Ridge Secondary School. A police initiated public alert PIPPA was issued as officers responded. Police from Tumbleo Ridge RCMP and surrounding detachments responded immediately, with members from the local detachment arriving within two minutes of the initial call. Upon arrival, there was active gunfire, and US officers approached the school. Rounds were fired in their direction. Officers entered the school to locate the threat. Within minutes, an individual confirmed to be the shooter was located deceased with what appeared to be a self gunshot wound. The suspect has been identified as eighteen year old Jesse Van Rutzlar, who is a resident of tumblr Ridge. Two firearms, a long gun and a modified handgun, were recovered by responding officers. Determining the origin of these firearms and what role they played in the shooting's remains a significant part of the active and ongoing investigation. Multiple victims were located throughout the school, along with approximately twenty five individuals with possible injuries. Once it was determined to be safe, officers evacuated over one hundred students and faculty to a local community center while police continued to assess whether any ongoing threats remained. Those with potential injuries were transported to a local medical clinic for triage and assessment, and two victims with significant injuries were transported to hospital via air ambulance. Following a medical assessment of the individuals, no discernible physical injuries were identified for those that remained at scene. I'd like to correct some information that was shared yesterday and to clarify that nine people in total are deceased as a result of this incident. Initially, it was believed that one of the victims, a female with significant injuries who was transported from the scene by our members and then transitioned to paramedics, had succumbed to her injuries. Police have since confirmed that is not the case. She is alive and it was one of the two female victims that were airlifted to hospital. Both of those victims remain in serious condition. The deceased victims from the school include an adult female educator, three female students, and two male students between the ages of thirteen and seventeen. Two additional victims, an adult female and a male youth, were located deceased in the local residence. The BC Major Crime Unit has assumed conduct of the investigation and is working to determine the full circumstances surrounding this tragic incident. There's been much speculation within the community regarding the relationship between the shooter and some of the victims. All that remains part of the active and ongoing investigation. We are not in a position to publicly confirm any specifics at this time. Additional resources have been deployed to Tumblr Ridge to support both the investigation and day to day policing operations, which continue with the assistance of our neighboring detachments. BC Emergency Health Services, the tumbler Ridge Fire Department, the local medical center, the school district, the community center, and many others within the community have provided significant support throughout this response. Anyone in the community who does not need support, or sorry, pardon me, who does need support is asked to go to the tumbler Ridge Community Center at three four zero Front Street. We understand the community has questions, and we understand they want to know the motive behind this tragic incident. We do believe the suspect acted alone and there are currently no other outstanding suspects. Our investigators remain on sen actively gathering information determine the full circumstances of what transpired. This is a deeply distressing incident where nine individuals have sensitively lost their lives. Our thoughts are with the families, the loved ones, the first responders in the Greater tumblr Ridge community, and all those impacted by this tragic incident. UH. If you have questions, I'm prepared to take them at this time.
Speaker 11: Officers, could you please expand a little bit on the suspect? Was he known to police? Were there any red flags regarding.
Speaker 12: His mental health?
Speaker 4: So a suspect is identified as an eighteen year old female UH by the name of Jesse.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: We have uh a history of police attendants UH at the family residence. Some of those calls are a are were pardon me? Related to mental health issues?
Speaker 13: Could you spell this?
Speaker 4: Yes? The first name is spelt j E S s E. The surname is spelt capital V A N in space capital R O T s E l A R.
Speaker 12: Were the two victims found at your residence where the suspect lived.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 14: And why can't you elaborate on the relationship between the victims and in.
Speaker 1: That residence and Christmas?
Speaker 4: I I can't elaborate on that. So is believe the victims of that residence and the suspect are family members.
Speaker 12: Can you say what UH parents siblings, what relationship that is?
Speaker 4: Yes, the female adult victim is the mother of the suspect, and the youth UH male is the brother of the suspect or step brother.
Speaker 12: Can you would spend you you talked about that you scream of mental health with this femail suspect.
Speaker 1: Could you expand on.
Speaker 4: I I'll give you perhaps remaining some general UH comments on that police had attended that residence on multiple occasions over the past several years dealing with UH concerns of mental health. UH with respect to our suspect. UH, I can say that on different occasions as a suspect was apprehended for assessment and and follow up.
Speaker 12: So apprehended under the mental health time.
Speaker 4: Yes, take mental hospitals UH in some ser circumstances.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 14: Any indication whether or not the suspect was receiving any help for your mental health situation, regarding counseling, any any of those services that are involved.
Speaker 4: I don't have that information UH at this time. If the suspect was currently UH receiving care, UH, I don't have that information at this time.
Speaker 14: Any of the interactions with popes, did they any of.
Speaker 12: Them have to do with weapons?
Speaker 4: Yes, in particular, Yes, did you fat on that face? I will say that again, I'm I'm not trying to be too circumspect, but police have attended that residence in the past, UH, approximately a couple of years ago, where firearms were seized UH under the criminal code. I can say that at later point in time, the lawful owner of those firearms petitioned to for those firearms to be returned and they.
Speaker 12: Were were criminal charges later in relation to those firearms.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 8: So yeah.
Speaker 11: My question is we've heard all around the world of reports, I mean media, and you've heard.
Speaker 6: People from Teal Ridge people that the shooter, and they are all saying that this person's transgendered.
Speaker 12: Why is the RC housekapers? Why are we hiding this from help?
Speaker 4: Well, first off, thank you for your question. We're not hiding it. In fact, you're the first UH media to ask the question. I will say this, we identify the suspect as they chose to be identified in public and in social media. I can say that Jesse was born as a biological male who approximately the information that I have, approximately six years ago, began to transition to female and identified as female, uh, both socially and publicly.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately for a lot of transgender discussation.
Speaker 4: Do it's too early to say whether that has any correlation and this investigation. I think it's important to recognize that this investigation is still in its infancy.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 4: We have seen s still locked down the school and the residents while we uh execute search warrants and gather for their evidence and talked to witnesses uh uh that may have fur their evidence for place.
Speaker 12: Party yesterday last in contact with Jesse.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. I probably have that answer somewhere here in my papers, but I'll I believe we're there, uh sometime last year.
Speaker 12: So nothing in the last few days.
Speaker 4: Nothing in the last few days, that's correct.
Speaker 16: Okay, can you talk of the guns that there.
Speaker 11: Covered and can you say we both people owned those guns when.
Speaker 6: The or any so?
Speaker 4: So I will say this, I know the guns are of uh significant uh interest to everybody. Part of the reason we haven't identified the specific models of the firearms or ownership is because at this point in time, our investigators UH continue to pursue those leads. We want to make sure that the at the information we do provide is accurate. We wanna ensure that we can identify properly UH, the ownership of the firearms, how they were procured, whether they were lawfully owned UH unlawfully l alone, whether man manufactured, and whether there could be any other parties to an offense that we are not yet aware of. So when we are able to UH release that information, we certainly will.
Speaker 12: He was like not did did he have a license?
Speaker 4: I can say that she UH had a license that had expired UH. I believe it was in twenty twenty four. She did not have any firearms registered UH to her.
Speaker 12: Can you talk.
Speaker 17: About, Sir, any indication and the information you have regarding Jesse experiencing playing at the school any sort of difficulty at the school because of this transition from male to female.
Speaker 4: I do not have any information to suggest that was the case, uh I. I can say that Jesse dropped out of school approximately four years ago and was not currently attending the school.
Speaker 13: Sir, I have a question here from a Jared from the Western Standard of the UH WHA why they they wanted to just know why we waited till now to confirm the identity of the suspect.
Speaker 4: It's a good question, and I know it's one of concern specifically with the speed of social media. I think it's important to recognize that yesterday, when we first provided a media availability, it was approximately five hours after the active shooter event. At that point in time, we were still trying to lock down locations, We had victims that we were evacuating. As you can imagine, the scene was quite chaotic with significant amount of trauma. And it's important for us when we do release information to get it accurate. And I point to the case of now having to correct and say that there's only nine deceased persons instead of ten. We want to get information out as quick as possible, but we also appreciate that that information needs to be accurate because particularly we're dealing with victims or deal with the identity a suspect, we have to take into consideration. In this case, our specific was deceased. We had to locate next of ken to notify them. So I would hate, notwithstanding the public interest, I would hate for someone to find out that their loved one was deceased UH coming from our podium or coming from the news media in advance of being told in person.
Speaker 13: And I have one other question here from UH with Energetic see was the suspect related to any school. UH.
Speaker 4: I can say that the suspect was not related to any of the victims UH of the school. I don't have any broader information beyond that, other than say that the suspect was related to the two victims at the private residence.
Speaker 18: Did the suspects We've unknown for any other communication.
Speaker 4: In evats that is happening, not that we've located so far, but we are continuing to pursue that leader.
Speaker 17: Are you to give us sort of what the police's working theory is on why this happened, Well.
Speaker 4: We don't have an idea yet as to motive, and again recognizing we're still less than twenty four hours into this incident, it is something that we are certainly, UH passionately pursuing, but it would be too early to speculate on motive at this time.
Speaker 14: Was there a fool put out to be on the lookout for prior to the shootings regarding.
Speaker 4: The suspect, Not that I'm aware of, UH, But once the shootings commenced, we did issue the public UH police.
Speaker 12: Alert and did police open fire on the suspect?
Speaker 4: Pol Police did not return fire to the best of my knowledge, UH, But Uh, but went into the school where in the.
Speaker 12: School before the victim's killed.
Speaker 4: There was one victim that was located deceased in the hallway, uh sorry, in the stairwell of the school, and the others were located I believe in the library of the school.
Speaker 12: Can you comment on the home of a shoot? What was it like?
Speaker 1: Was it to disagree?
Speaker 6: Sometimes when there's some sort of use just certain things you can see were thinking of that or Uh?
Speaker 4: I can't comment yet on the nature or the environment uh of the family home. Uh it was locked down originally for uh secure search one in order to allow our investigators to go in. So I can't comment at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Okay, done to rock on your house?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 2: Home?
Speaker 12: Like where were those two people?
Speaker 1: Call pas?
Speaker 4: I do have that information. It will be locked down uh so I I would respectfully ask members of the media and the public not to attend the scene and the family home cause we have a lot going on there. But it's one one two Fellers Avenue in tumblr Ridge.
Speaker 12: Or adotional fire or Elend distractor.
Speaker 4: I I don't have that information at this point in time. I can say that historically there were firearms that were uh secured at that residence. Uh, I I in a safe but I don't. I haven't updated with the investigators yet to determine if they've gone in and located more firearms.
Speaker 12: Tell sales falls to the school or issue. Were they called to the home?
Speaker 19: Were now?
Speaker 4: Yes, No, they were called after so we understand the sequence of events, uh and I'll get to the So we did not receive a call to attend the home until approximately UH two forty seven pm or one forty seven pm Pacific time.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: We were called because a neighbor, Uh, there was a young female at that home that UH went to the neighbors and that's how we learned that there were two deceased at that residence. So the neighbor called the police. We know the sequence of events now, is that the incident at the home occurred first where we have the two deceased family members, and from there our suspect attended the school and commenced uh their criminal activity there. What was the relationship with the child who were of the neighbor suspe family member?
Speaker 5: Is it a reunification process been completed for injured and uh, the vacut.
Speaker 4: For the students and so most of the UH what I would call injured individuals or people that were assessed for injured for injury were uh released right in tumble Ridge shortly after receiving UH triage and or treatment. Those that are have been met a fact. I can't speak to uh uh to that, but I yeah, I won't speculate on whether they've uh been in contact with their family. We're still dealing with extended family of those that are deceased.
Speaker 12: Police believe, based.
Speaker 14: On the information have as far, that the suspect had gone into the school.
Speaker 17: Specifically targeting an individual, or it was a random shooting.
Speaker 4: So we don't have information at this point to suggest that anyone was specifically targeted. I I I will say that as we continue in the investigation, there is further evidence to gather from the school with respect to video UH surveillance and that UH of our officers as well.
Speaker 14: What can we expect nineteens arevating them at what's.
Speaker 12: Try to start to app family out.
Speaker 4: So we're currently ongoing with the family notification. I will say, as I mentioned before, that most of our victims are quite young. Most were born and UH of the students, most were born twenty thirteen and twenty twelve. So as you can imagine for family members, extended family members, friends of the family, etcetera. This is incredibly traumatic and so we will deal with and work with the families and cooperate with them in terms of the release of the identities of the victims, photographs and the like. I know that that can We don't want we need to approach this with UH UH UH a trauma informed practice. We don't want to create additional trauma for families that are dealing with UH probably the worst circumstances of their lives.
Speaker 12: So something.
Speaker 1: Or that will be up to the fens UH.
Speaker 4: That will be up to the families, as they are minors.
Speaker 12: In five people who were injured, how many of them sustained.
Speaker 4: So of the twenty five surviving individuals, the two UH that are currently airlifted, the U M the majority of the rest UH that were not gunshot injury us. The reason they were all UH examined tradastion first instances. There were a lot that presented with injury, blood, et cetera, that weren't actually injured, but we had to work through all that.
Speaker 12: So what kind of injuries were there?
Speaker 4: Was it like blasts or y I I I. I don't wanna speculate. I don't have the exact details, but you can imagine in in a chaotic situation where the UH students and faculty are barricading themselves in room, that any types of injuries could UH result.
Speaker 17: Were there any were there any you you mentioned that there weren't any recent.
Speaker 12: No recent involvement in police and the suspect, But were.
Speaker 17: There any calls concerned by anyone in the public to police about the suspect in recent days, weeks, months?
Speaker 4: They The most recent incidents I have are from spring of last year. So we've checked our police into indices or databases, et cetera. I have not. I don't have any information that there's been anything since then.
Speaker 12: And would you give us the context that the spring of last.
Speaker 4: Year, UH, similar to what I said before, it wa the concerns regarding mental health, self harm, those types of UH concerns.
Speaker 12: Okay, we'll take two final questions just to play injured.
Speaker 14: So was it T twenty seven injured in school and two airlift?
Speaker 4: Was so? I? I I I. I don't mean to to smile, but UH to clarify that, I'm gonna say I'm not entirely certain, because we have injured the from gunshot wounds, we have deceased, and then we have those that were trioged at scene. I'm gonna s uh say that the twenty five that were triage at seen are separate from those that were airlifted and those that are deceased.
Speaker 12: And sir, you just have one other question.
Speaker 1: You're regarding the victims, the ones.
Speaker 12: That were airlifted. Do we have any updates on their status?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: Critical but stable? Thank you, certain, Thank you everyone.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm just gonna get that you need to tell us you can pay some whole thing.
Speaker 10: Right, I just wanted to quickly correct one thing that just came in as Serve was up here speaking. So for the deceased victims the school, it included a thirty nine year old female educator, three twelve year old female students, two male students ages twelve and thirteen, and then the two additional victims were a thirty nine year old female and an eleven year old male that were located deceased at the local residents. We will be issuing a statement shortly following this availability.
Speaker 18: This isn't just a wallet, it's a rare find There's something different about owning something almost nobody else has. That's why when Ridge dropped their limited Konsugi collection, I had to grab one. Inspired where the Japanese art of turning imperfections into golden masterpieces. Each Ridge Consugi wallet has a completely unique golden edged pattern, literally one of only eight exclusive designs. That means the wallet in my pocket right now you won't see another one exactly like it. It comfortably carries up to twelve cards, some cash, and even has room for an air tag. Rare refined and guaranteed to spark conversation every time I pull it out. With a ninety nine day risk free trial, free shipping and free returns, no wonder Ridges in the pocket of over five million men worldwide, Grab your limited edition Ridge Consugi wallet now before they're gone.
Speaker 20: Well, I'd say I'll see a very difficult day for the nation this morning, parents, grandparents, sisters, brothers.
Speaker 21: In Tumblr, Ridge will wake up without someone they love. The nation barns with you, Canada stands by you. I want to thank and pass on. A number of world leaders has reached out directly to me in solitarity and compassion. France, United Kingdom, his Majesty himself, Norway, Finland, India, United Arab Emirates, many others.
Speaker 4: The world is with you.
Speaker 21: I UH have spoken to Premier eb UH. Minister of Public Safety has been engaged, as have many Canadian officials.
Speaker 16: UH.
Speaker 21: Over the evening, the Minister of Public Safety is en route to British Columbia and the Premier will be visiting UH the community. All assistants obviously will be offered. We think the UH, the first responders, the teachers, the staff, the residents, for everything that they've done in this terrible situation. I UH, on the advice of the Clerk of the Priverty Council and Heritage Canada, UH, i've asked that the flags in the Peace Tower here UH and across all government buildings be flown at half mass for the next seven days. We will get through this, we will learn from this. But right now it's the time to come together, as Canadians always do in these situations, UH, these terrible situations, to support each other, UH, to mourn together and to grow together. All so matin. Since it's what sentule sadual see Saint just central deficilpolt nacion. They so too for the risident de tumbling rich uh Uh Columbia, Britanny, Yeah, the Pere home de gan pere home. They saw de frel qui qui surreve Sumatan Saint kilic quill seven sinjo deficil Canada hit on dais the Canada bapte avec vous a, the Canada to the Canadian, the Canadian Saint avecu Age with romiercie Uh the chief to go with them. The mode uh la France prime uni some mansion stay you remember someone should stay remember uh lyne uh la Finland lanoveg dostridi fugia pe key key uh man for me director more the condoleance, a little solidarity, the pub the tomber Ridge to the can again uh g g discutation in the pelice, the Minister Columbie blata nique uh, the Minister la sante le security public micheur and the Saint grie it or roots Paul la ville a vecumenist at three Uh he knows author the Calabaracio, A lot of homologue provincio the local Uh swive swivene you cansei uh the perfier you preve pat Canadia. Uh the Monday lud that s o Paloma intatmore a month to Canada. So I miss m d C for sege on solidarity like Lesia the temper Mercy coup. Thank you very much and I will be making a statement with the other leaders.
Speaker 1: And you can.
Speaker 22: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Good evening, everybody, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 8: Like you.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 23: I am just learning about the horror of the tragedy that unfolded in tumblr Ridge this evening over the course of the day. This is a devastating, an unimaginable tragedy. We can't imagine what the community is going through, but I know it's causing us all to hug our kids a little bit tighter tonight. I'm just out of an update with RCMP leadership Duane MacDonald. I want to thank him for being available this evening and a conversation with the Prime Minister about this terrible tragedy. Here's the latest information that we have. I understand that there are ten people in total who are dead two different sites. Eight of the people who died as a result of the shootings were at the school, including an individual understand is the suspected Shouotor who is believed to have died of a self inflicted gunshot.
Speaker 1: Wound.
Speaker 23: There are about twenty five people have been entrioged by health authorities with various physical injuries, some profoundly serious and some more minor injuries. Right now, information is very limited as police do their work and the RCNPS asked for patients as they work through methodically to ensure that they are supporting families and getting.
Speaker 1: To the bottom of what happened today.
Speaker 4: It's like to take this.
Speaker 23: Opportunity to ask British Columbians to ask all Canadians to wrap the people of tumblr Ridge, wrap these families with love, not just tonight, but tomorrow and into the future.
Speaker 1: This is something that will robreak for years to come.
Speaker 23: As British Columbians, I know that one of the things we do best is look after each other, and I'm asking British Columbians to look after the people of timber Ridge tonight. For our government's role, We'll make sure that the resources are there for the community. They are already being deployed on the site, and I'd like to ask the Public Safety Minister to provide you an update on what's happening in the community to provide support right now, Sir, thank you Premier.
Speaker 16: While the RCMP emergency alert has been lifted. The people of tumbler Ridge remain in a state of crisis following one of the worst mass shootings in our provinces and countries' history. This is a devastating day for close knit community and the loss being felt is profound. There are truly no words that can adequately describe the pain being carried tonight by parents, families and love ones of the victims. British Columbians and people across the country are standing with the tumbler Ridge community tonight.
Speaker 1: I would like to thank the.
Speaker 16: RCMP officers who were on the scene within two minutes of receiving the call. That speed and professionalism saved lives today. I would also like to thank paramedics, firefighters, healthcare workers, victim services staff and all first responders who acted immediately to support this community and anon and imaginably horrific moment. This is only the beginning for so many who have families who have been impacted by today's tragic events. The shock waves of this horrific event will continue to reverberate through the community and throughout the country for some time. Education Ministry staff have been in continued contact with the school district today and we are actively mobilizing trauma and crisis response supports. We are sending trauma informed counselors to the region to support kids and their families during this time. The school district will be making supports available, and once we have locations for where these supports will be, the district will share that information on social media and we will be making sure services are available to members of the broader community who need it as well. There is a psychiatric liaison nurse working in the community right now, and another starting tonight at ten pm will be working through the night on the ground in tumbler Ridge. So already tonight there is help available now, with more to come. People can contact three ten Mental Health Support at three ten six seven eight nine for support and mental health services. The Killed's Help Phone offers professional counseling information and referrals to young people, and people can reach out by texting connect to eight my apologies to six eight to six eight six'. Eight young people can also use The foundry app to get connected to mental health. SUPPORTS i have spoken throughout the day with The mayor of Tumblr ridge and the LOCAL mla AND. Mp we are united and in constant. Communication i've also spoken to the Federal minister Of Public safety and we will be working together to ensure that THE rcmp have every resource that they. Need as a, Mother i'm holding the families who lost loved ones close in my, heart as well as the many of those. Injured for their, families the nightmare has not yet. Ended we will stand with the community in the days and weeks and months ahead with, compassion with, action and with a commitment to supporting healing for as long as it.
Speaker 1: Takes we will.
Speaker 16: Ensure that every possible support is available for the community and the coming.
Speaker 4: Days thank you very.
Speaker 1: Much, well not take. Questions i'll take questions from the media for meeting in the. Room please come to join us at the microphone, here state your name and, outlet and the creamier answer your.
Speaker 8: Question thank, you.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 24: Evening Michelle martin here WITH. Cbc can you tell me a bit more about the specific sum of in regards to medical care being sent up if any. Additional we're hearing about twenty five people being sent for care related to serious and non life threatening.
Speaker 23: Injuries what we can share right now is there were twenty five individuals for Are triosh for medical care and varying degrees of severity of. INJURY bceehs will be providing an update this evening about more specifics related to care where people aren't soling.
Speaker 1: Even to.
Speaker 24: Hearing over the past couple of, weeks we've heard about schools being threatened In coquotein for, example in that, area and now hearing about this situation in Tumblr.
Speaker 16: Ridge what's your message.
Speaker 24: To parents who might feel uneasy sending their kids to school right?
Speaker 23: Now, WELL i mean it's hard to know what to say on and night like. Tonight this is the kind of thing that feels like it happens in other places and not close to home in a way that this feels for so Many British columbians And. Canadians the devastation of these families.
Speaker 4: Face you, know.
Speaker 23: It's just impossible to understand what they're going through without going through it. Yourself BUT i can say for myself And i'm sure for Many British, columbians Many, canadians and makes us think about our kids safety when they're going to. School we take it for. Granted you go to, school we come home, safe and events like this give us pause about that safety that the Many canadians have the privilege to enjoy across this. Country in the days and weeks to, come we'll look at this incident and try to understand what opportunities there are to learn from an unspeakable tragedy like. This but for, tonight it's about making sure that those family ways are receiving all the sports that they can.
Speaker 1: Do you know when we'll learn more about the investigation as. Well, YES rcmp have asked for patients right.
Speaker 23: Now they understand That British, columbians people of Tumblr ridge want to know everything possible to try to make sense of what happened in Tumblr ridge. Today they have work to do on the, ground maybe advice that the community is safe and, secure that the threat is over from this, incident but the work for them and for the community is. Ongoing they'll provide details as often and as comprehensibly as they can going, forward and will follow a police lead on being able to provide additional information.
Speaker 24: And knowing how devastated the community must.
Speaker 1: Be what is your biggest concern right?
Speaker 23: Now you, know my biggest concern is for the people who have to live with this, tragedy those who are physically, injured for their physical s safety and for those who have endured a trauma that will be with them for the rest of their lives and how we can support them going. Forward SO i ask for people across the country to do what we can to send love and support to that community right, now because they sure need.
Speaker 22: It thanks for taking my. Question i'm a reporter from The Canadian. PRESS i wonder for Per me And, anina do you know more details about the, victims like are these students and were you And anina travel to Tumblr ridge in upcoming?
Speaker 1: Days?
Speaker 22: Two with it the families with another wactims.
Speaker 23: Families, yes, YES i expect to be up To Tumblow ridge as quickly as possible to visit the community and provide. Support, HOWEVER i can police advise at this point they're still reaching out to, families still reaching out to relatives next To ken and so at this point aren't able to share any details those who have passed, Away BUT i expect that we'll be hearing that information shortly from.
Speaker 1: Police thank, you and a.
Speaker 22: Joining a conversation With Prime Minister connie what did he say to?
Speaker 11: You thank you.
Speaker 23: Well The Prime minister is certainly conveyed the grief and the devastation that he feels about what the people of Tumblr ridge are. Facing he is following this very, closely have received briefings from OUR cmp as, well and has offered any assistance that the federal government can offer to the province and supporting the people of Tumblr ridge going. FORWARD i was very grateful for his, outreach he reached out right away and his commitment to Support British columbians in this.
Speaker 1: Moment next we'll head to the phone lines With Jordan armstrong From Global. News Mister, premier thanks for your.
Speaker 25: Time we know that rural health centers and emergency room are already. Stretched what specifically is being done to ensure those healthcare providers who no doubt had to witness horrible things today are getting the release and support they.
Speaker 23: NEED i had the opportunity to speak With Premier smith And alberta who had offered assistance through healthcare In. Alberta tumbridge is close to the border and a major regional healthcare center is there In Grand. Prairie and very grateful to The albertans who offered to step up and provide support in this moment as. WELL bcehs will be providing an update this evening about the supports for individuals who were injured and brought to health care. Facilities but at this POINT i shared all THAT i can and all the INFORMATION i.
Speaker 1: Have to follow.
Speaker 25: Up, jordan thank, you and the, question, yes a question IF i, may for The Public safety. Minister i'm hearing from sources THE rcmp attachment in Tumblr ridge is as small as five. Members can you confirm? That and also talk a bit more about the response of those frontline. OFFICERS i think you mentioned they were on the scene within two.
Speaker 23: Minutes thanks, Starting i'll pass it over To, nina But i'd like to just thank THE rcmp officers who. Responded my understanding from mister McDonald is that they were on the scene within two, minutes and at that fast response time to the school meant that what was already quite a devastating tragedy was prevented from being significantly. Worse and as a police officer attending a shooting scene like, that you're putting yourself at risk to protect the lives of other, people and it's heroic. Work AND i am very grateful that the police responded so quickly and so fearlessly and executed their training to protect as many people as possible at the school. Today Pastor, reganina.
Speaker 16: Thank you for the, question And i'll add that this is a, small tight knit community with a SMALL rcmp detachment as, well who responded in two, minutes no, doubt saving lives. Today and just to again thank the responding officers for their, courage for their, dedication their. Professionalism THE rcmp has surged resources and we will continue to work with THE rcmp to ensure that they have all the resources that they need to carry out the, investigation which now begins now that the active threat has been.
Speaker 1: Rescinded Justine Hunter Global, Maiale, hi thank.
Speaker 26: You do we know anything about the weapon that was?
Speaker 23: INVOLVED i don't have any information from OUR cmp about the weapon that was involved in this.
Speaker 1: Incident to will fall, Up, JUSTINE.
Speaker 19: I guess just IF i know you don't have the details on the, victims but do we even have an age? Raised we have a sense of how many, teachers how many students?
Speaker 23: INVOLVED i asked THE rcmp a very similar, Question, justine and they advised at this, point given that they're still notifying families, relatives that they were unable to release that information as they wanted to make sure they notified the families.
Speaker 1: First next one To Trent art's From.
Speaker 8: Tumblr Ridgelines, hi this might be a better part of it AT, Dcehs but twur hours, ago the biggest story here in Tumble ridge was the fact that there was no.
Speaker 26: Coverage in the emergency room after five. O'clock i'm assuming that in a situation like this there's exceptional, coverage but.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 26: What's happening with. That are they going to bring in additional doctors or is it just going to be shipping people off To Dawson creek and For Saint.
Speaker 23: John so the best information that we can share at this point is THAT bcehs will be providing an update this evening about those twenty five individuals received various, injuries physical.
Speaker 4: Injuries.
Speaker 23: TODAY i don't have any other information to. Share the health center in Tumble ridge is a small. Center we had offers of assistance From. ALBERTA i know that there were medical evacuation services made available air ambulance on BUT i don't have any details about any of, that AND i would encourage you to wait for THE ehs.
Speaker 1: Update, trent do you have a follow?
Speaker 8: Up? NO i have Great, Thanks, okay next.
Speaker 1: One To Cecilia hua From City news.
Speaker 27: Hither thanks for taking my question For Minister. Tatter we heard that there was additional police response from neighboring communities as, well so you can elaborate more on. That we heard there were police From shetland and helicopter support as.
Speaker 16: Well, yes thank you as AS I AS i, said this is a small community with a small, detachment and again grateful for the officer's quick, response and they were indeed supported by our C mp from surrounding. Communities while the the the alert to shelter in place remained and certainly during that time ensuring the safety of all community members was the utmost, priority and now that that alert has come to an, end will continue to ensure that OUR cmp resources are made available to support the.
Speaker 1: Investigation, cecilia do you have a follow?
Speaker 27: Up, yes LOCAL rcmp have not yet released the suspects, identity but we're hearing from multiple people within the community that there seems to be a consensus of who this might. Be SO i was wondering if, you in your conversation with THE, rcmp if they plan on releasing that identity tonight or in the next few.
Speaker 23: HOURS i don't know what OUR cmp plans are about releasing the identity of the individual that is the suspected shooter in this. Incident THE rcmp will be providing that, update updated information as they can going.
Speaker 1: Forward what they've asked for right, now his, patience.
Speaker 23: The, community the, province the country wants this, information needs this information to try to make sense what. Happened BUT i think everybody's focus right now is making sure that the families in N Tumble, ridge the community has.
Speaker 1: Looked after.
Speaker 19: That.
Speaker 1: Concludes nights of that, great thanks very, much.
Speaker 4: Everybody.
Speaker 8: Wow BUT i.
Speaker 15: Convinced my son that there were colors in the world back WHEN i was, young and though everything wasn't black and, white wrong was wrong and right was. Right it was about that TIME i finally realized maybe my son was. Right though whole damn time most of us were gone in it. Clearer uh things will.
Speaker 2: Block shows the Inspect Depictions media. Things please contact us At depictions dot media for more. Information M
Speaker 8: Hm